Genomes and Genes
Summary: Liquid formulations for the nutrition of INFANTS, useful for those with special needs or MILK HYPERSENSITIVITY or those whose mothers are unable to breastfeed (BREAST FEEDING).
Publications317 found, 100 shown here
- Lower protein in infant formula is associated with lower weight up to age 2 y: a randomized clinical trialBerthold Koletzko
Dr von Hauner Children s Hospital, University of Munich Medical Centre, Munich, Germany
Am J Clin Nutr 89:1836-45. 2009..Protein intake during infancy was associated with rapid early weight gain and later obesity in observational studies...
- Breastfeeding plus infant zidovudine prophylaxis for 6 months vs formula feeding plus infant zidovudine for 1 month to reduce mother-to-child HIV transmission in Botswana: a randomized trial: the Mashi StudyIbou Thior
Department of Immunology and Infectious Diseases, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, Mass 02115, USA
JAMA 296:794-805. 2006..Postnatal transmission of human immunodeficiency virus-1 (HIV) via breastfeeding reverses gains achieved by perinatal antiretroviral interventions...
- Supplementation of infant formula with probiotics and/or prebiotics: a systematic review and comment by the ESPGHAN committee on nutritionChristian Braegger
University Children s Hospital, Zurich, Switzerland
J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 52:238-50. 2011..the manufacturing process, but thereafter, for example in capsules, the contents of which were supplemented to infant formula or feeds, were excluded...
- Effect of a probiotic infant formula on infections in child care centers: comparison of two probiotic agentsZvi Weizman
Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition Unit, Soroka Medical Center, Faculty of Health Sciences, Ben Gurion University, Beer Sheva, Israel
Pediatrics 115:5-9. 2005..To investigate the effect of 2 different species of probiotics in preventing infections in infants attending child care centers...
- Weight gain in the first week of life and overweight in adulthood: a cohort study of European American subjects fed infant formulaNicolas Stettler
Division of Gastroenterology and Nutrition, The Children s Hospital of Philadelphia, 36th St and Civic Center Blvd, Philadelphia, PA 19104 4399, USA
Circulation 111:1897-903. 2005..Rapid infancy weight gain is associated with childhood obesity, whereas low infancy weight is associated with coronary heart disease. Our aim was to identify during which periods in infancy weight gain is associated with adult obesity...
- Effects of prebiotic-containing infant formula on gastrointestinal tolerance and fecal microbiota in a randomized controlled trialHannah D Holscher
Department of Food Science and Human Nutrition, Division of Nutritional Sciences, University of Illinois, Urbana Champaign, 443 Bevier Hall, 905 South Goodwin Ave, Urbana, IL 61801, USA
JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr 36:95S-105S. 2012Prebiotic-containing infant formula may beneficially affect gastrointestinal tolerance and commensal microbiota composition.
- Similar bifidogenic effects of prebiotic-supplemented partially hydrolyzed infant formula and breastfeeding on infant gut microbiotaMinna M Rinne
The University of Turku, 20014 Turku, Finland Department of Pediatrics, Turku University Central Hospital, 20520 Turku, Finland
FEMS Immunol Med Microbiol 43:59-65. 2005..This would suggest that early gut Bifidobacterium microbiota can be modified by special diets up to the age of 6 months...
- Tolerance and safety evaluation in a large cohort of healthy infants fed an innovative prebiotic formula: a randomized controlled trialPasqua Piemontese
Department of Maternal and Pediatric Sciences, Fondazione IRCCS Ca Granda Ospedale Maggiore Policlinico, University of Milan, Milano, Italy
PLoS ONE 6:e28010. 2011the addition of oligosaccharides to infant formula has been shown to mimic some of the beneficial effects of human milk...
- Synbiotics, probiotics or prebiotics in infant formula for full term infants: a systematic reviewMary N Mugambi
Division of Human Nutrition, Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences, Stellenbosch University, Stellenbosch, Western Cape, South Africa
Nutr J 11:81. 2012Synbiotics, probiotics or prebiotics are being added to infant formula to promote growth and development in infants...
- Oral microbial profile discriminates breast-fed from formula-fed infantsPernilla L Holgerson
Department of Odontology, Cariology, Umea University, Umea, Sweden
J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 56:127-36. 2013..The aims of the present study were to compare the oral microbiota in breast-fed and formula-fed infants, and investigate growth inhibition of streptococci by infant-isolated lactobacilli...
- Mechanisms underlying the association between breastfeeding and obesityCynthia J Bartok
Department of Kinesiology, The Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA 16802, USA
Int J Pediatr Obes 4:196-204. 2009..These three protective effects may promote slower growth and lower body fat levels in breastfed infants, which reduce risk of overweight and obesity later in life...
- Serum lutein concentrations in healthy term infants fed human milk or infant formula with luteinJodi Bettler
Wyeth, Collegeville, PA, USA
Eur J Nutr 49:45-51. 2010..Human milk typically contains higher concentrations of lutein than infant formula. Preliminary data suggest there are differences in serum lutein concentrations between breastfed and formula-..
- Safety and tolerance of the human milk probiotic strain Lactobacillus salivarius CECT5713 in 6-month-old childrenJose Maldonado
Department of Pediatrics, Hospital Universitario San Cecilio, Granada, Spain
Nutrition 26:1082-7. 2010..Thus, there is an increasing interest in the addition of probiotics to infant formulas. The aim of this study was to evaluate the safety of a follow-on formula with Lactobacillus salivarius CECT5713 in 6-mo-old children...
- Risk of bottle-feeding for rapid weight gain during the first year of lifeRuowei Li
National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, Division of Nutrition, Physical Activity, and Obesity, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30341, USA
Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 166:431-6. 2012..To better understand the mechanisms behind breastfeeding and childhood obesity, we assessed the association of weight gain with the mode of milk delivery aside from the type of milk given to infants...
- Melamine-contaminated milk products induced urinary tract calculi in childrenLi Zhang
Department of Children s Health Care, The Children s Hospital of Zhejiang University School of Medicine and Zhejiang Key Laboratory for Diagnosis and Therapy of Neonatal Diseases, Hangzhou, 310003, China
World J Pediatr 5:31-5. 2009..This study aimed to investigate the prevalence, lesions, risk factors, clinical features, and management of children fed with the melamine-contaminated milk products...
- Growth and development of preterm infants fed infant formulas containing docosahexaenoic acid and arachidonic acidM Thomas Clandinin
University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
J Pediatr 146:461-8. 2005..To evaluate safety and benefits of feeding preterm infants formulas containing docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) and arachidonic acid (ARA) until 92 weeks postmenstrual age (PMA), with follow-up to 118 weeks PMA...
- Adherence to vitamin D recommendations among US infantsCria G Perrine
Epidemic Intelligence Service, Office of Workforce and Career Development, and Division of Nutrition, Physical Activity, and Obesity, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Pediatrics 125:627-32. 2010..We aimed to assess the prevalence of infants meeting the AAP recommended intake of vitamin D during their first year of life...
- Vitamin D supplementation of Canadian infants: practices of Montreal mothersSina Gallo
School of Dietetics and Human Nutrition, McGill University, Ste Anne de Bellevue, QC H9X 3V9, Canada
Appl Physiol Nutr Metab 35:303-9. 2010..day-1 of vitamin D. Therefore there may still be gaps in knowledge regarding vitamin D supplementation...
- Examination of faecal Bifidobacterium populations in breast- and formula-fed infants during the first 18 months of lifeLaure C Roger
Microbial Ecology and Health Group, Food Microbial Sciences Unit, Department of Food and Nutritional Sciences, University of Reading, Whiteknights Campus, PO Box 226, Reading RG6 6AP, UK
Microbiology 156:3329-41. 2010..Breast-fed infants generally harboured a more complex Bifidobacterium microbiota than formula-fed infants...
- Factors associated with defecation patterns in 0-24-month-old childrenVildan Taylan Tunc
Department of Family Practice, Ankara Numune Research and Education Hospital, Ankara, Turkey
Eur J Pediatr 167:1357-62. 2008..3% of these infants defecated less than once a day...
- The acquisition of tolerance toward cow's milk through probiotic supplementation: a randomized, controlled trialJeroen Hol
Department of Pediatric Respiratory Medicine, Erasmus University Medical Centre Sophia Children s Hospital, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
J Allergy Clin Immunol 121:1448-54. 2008..Interventions have been proposed to accelerate tolerance and reduce morbidity. Probiotic supplementation could be effective through modulation of the immune system...
- Growth and metabolism of infants born to women infected with human immunodeficiency virus and fed acidified whey-adapted starter formulasSithembiso C Velaphi
Department of Paediatrics, University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, South Africa
Nutrition 24:203-11. 2008..To compare the effects of a biologically and chemically acidified formula with or without probiotics with a standard formula on growth of infants negative for human immunodeficiency virus (HIV)...
- A metagenomic study of diet-dependent interaction between gut microbiota and host in infants reveals differences in immune responseScott Schwartz
Training Program in Biostatistics, Bioinformatics, Nutrition and Cancer, Texas A and M University, 155 Ireland Street, College Station, TX 77843, USA
Genome Biol 13:r32. 2012..Here we report the results from a simultaneous study of the gut microbiome and host epithelial transcriptome of three-month-old exclusively breast- and formula-fed infants...
- Hospitalization and mortality among primarily nonbreastfed children during a large outbreak of diarrhea and malnutrition in Botswana, 2006Tracy L Creek
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Global AIDS Program, 1600 Clifton Rd NE, Mailstop E 04, Atlanta, GA 30033, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 53:14-9. 2010..Botswana has high HIV prevalence among pregnant women (33.4% in 2005), and an estimated 35% of all infants under the age of 6 months are not breastfed...
- Nutrition in infancy and long-term risk of obesity: evidence from 2 randomized controlled trialsAtul Singhal
Medical Research Council Childhood Nutrition Research Centre, University College London, Institute of Child Health, London, United Kingdom
Am J Clin Nutr 92:1133-44. 2010..Growth acceleration as a consequence of relative overnutrition in infancy has been suggested to increase the risk of later obesity. However, few studies have investigated this association by using an experimental study design...
- Probiotic supplementation in the first 6 months of life in at risk Asian infants--effects on eczema and atopic sensitization at the age of 1 yearS E Soh
Department of Paediatrics, Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, National University of Singapore and National University Hospital, Singapore
Clin Exp Allergy 39:571-8. 2009..The role of probiotics in allergy prevention remains uncertain but has been shown in some studies to have a possible protective effect on eczema...
- Fecal secretory immunoglobulin A is increased in healthy infants who receive a formula with short-chain galacto-oligosaccharides and long-chain fructo-oligosaccharidesPetra A M J Scholtens
Numico Research, Wageningen 6700 CA, The Netherlands
J Nutr 138:1141-7. 2008..were 0.0 and 3.27%, respectively (P = 0.006). In conclusion, an infant milk formula with 6 g/L scGOS/lcFOS results in higher concentrations of fecal sIgA, suggesting a positive effect on mucosal immunity...
- Melamine-contaminated powdered formula and urolithiasis in young childrenNa Guan
Peking University First Hospital, Beijing, China
N Engl J Med 360:1067-74. 2009..A recent epidemic of melamine contamination of baby formula in China has been associated with the development of urinary tract stones, though the clinical manifestations and predisposing factors are incompletely delineated...
- A specific mixture of short-chain galacto-oligosaccharides and long-chain fructo-oligosaccharides induces a beneficial immunoglobulin profile in infants at high risk for allergyE van Hoffen
Department of Dermatology Allergology, University Medical Center Utrecht, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Allergy 64:484-7. 2009..A specific prebiotic mixture of short-chain galacto-oligosaccharides and long-chain fructo-oligosaccharides (GOS/FOS) has been shown to reduce the incidence of atopic dermatitis (AD) at 6 months of age in infants at risk for allergy...
- Early origins of cardiovascular disease: is there a unifying hypothesis?Atul Singhal
MRC Childhood Nutrition Research Centre, Institute of Child Health, 30 Guilford Street, London WC1N 1EH, UK
Lancet 363:1642-5. 2004
- Use of soy protein-based formulas in infant feedingJatinder Bhatia
Pediatrics 121:1062-8. 2008..This report reviews the limited indications and contraindications of soy formulas. It will also review the potential harmful effects of soy protein-based formulas and the phytoestrogens contained in these formulas...
- Rapid detection and simultaneous genotyping of Cronobacter spp. (formerly Enterobacter sakazakii) in powdered infant formula using real-time PCR and high resolution melting (HRM) analysisXian Quan Cai
State Key Laboratory of Veterinary Etiological Biology, Lanzhou Veterinary Research Institute, Chinese Academy of Agricultural Sciences, Lanzhou, Gansu Province, People s Republic of China
PLoS ONE 8:e67082. 2013..formerly Enterobacter sakazakii) in powdered infant formula. Eleven Cronobacter field isolates and 25 reference strains were examined using one pair of primers, having ..
- Effect of high β-palmitate content in infant formula on the intestinal microbiota of term infantsSima Yaron
Technion Israel Institute of Technology, Bnai Zion Medical Center affiliated with Rappaport Faculty of Medicine, Technion, Haifa, Israel
J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 56:376-81. 2013..In these positions, PA is hydrolyzed and forms poorly absorbed calcium complexes. The present study assessed whether high β-palmitate in infant formulas affects the intestinal flora...
- Acidified milk formula supplemented with bifidobacterium lactis: impact on infant diarrhea in residential care settingsJean Pierre Chouraqui
Department of Pediatrics, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire de Grenoble, Grenoble, France
J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 38:288-92. 2004..Bifidobacteria are particularly attractive as probiotics agent because they constitute the predominant colonic flora of breastfed infants and are thought to play a role in the decreased incidence of diarrhea in breastfed infants...
- The stereospecific triacylglycerol structures and Fatty Acid profiles of human milk and infant formulasEllen Marie Straarup
Centre of Advanced Food Studies, BioCentrum DTU, Biochemistry and Nutrition Group, Technical University of Denmark, Lyngby, Denmark
J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 42:293-9. 2006..molecules in human milk differ from that of cow's milk and vegetable oils, which are the fat sources used in infant formula. In human milk, palmitic acid (16:0) is predominantly esterified in the sn2 position, whereas vegetable oils ..
- Specific probiotics in enhancing maturation of IgA responses in formula-fed infantsSamuli Rautava
Department of Pediatrics, University of Turku, Finland
Pediatr Res 60:221-4. 2006..The infants consumed infant formula supplemented with specific probiotics (Lactobacillus GG and Bifidobacterium lactis Bb-12) or placebo during ..
- Reduction of crying episodes owing to infantile colic: A randomized controlled study on the efficacy of a new infant formulaF Savino
Department of Paediatrics, University of Turin, Turin, Italy
Eur J Clin Nutr 60:1304-10. 2006The aim of this study was to evaluate the efficacy on crying episodes owing to infantile colic of a new infant formula containing partially hydrolysed whey proteins, prebiotic oligosaccharides (OS), with a high beta-palmitic acid content.
- The effect of a fructo-oligosaccharide supplemented formula on gut flora of preterm infantsAngeliki Kapiki
Department of Neonatal Medicine, Alexandra Regional General Hospital, Athens, Greece
Early Hum Dev 83:335-9. 2007..4 g/dL or the same formula with maltodextrin as a placebo...
- Safety and tolerance of a probiotic formula in early infancy comparing two probiotic agents: a pilot studyZvi Weizman
Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition Unit, Soroka Medical Center, P O Box 151, Beer Sheva 84101, Israel
J Am Coll Nutr 25:415-9. 2006..To compare the safety and tolerance of two formulas, supplemented with different probiotic agents, in early infancy...
- Quantitative and qualitative study of gastric lipolysis in premature infants: do MCT-enriched infant formulas improve fat digestion?Céline Roman
Service de Pédiatrie Multidisciplinaire, Hopital d Enfants de la Timone, 13385 Marseille Cedex 5, France
Pediatr Res 61:83-8. 2007..26% wt/wt) acid. Similar results were obtained with infants fed with human milk. MCT supplementation has no quantitative or qualitative effects on the intragastric lipolysis, which is not higher in premature infant than in adults...
- The impact of perinatal probiotic intervention on gut microbiota: double-blind placebo-controlled trials in Finland and GermanyŁukasz Grześkowiak
Functional Foods Forum, University of Turku, Itäinen Pitkäkatu 4 A 5, 20014 Turku, Finland
Anaerobe 18:7-13. 2012..Probiotic treatment had different impacts on gut microbiota composition in Finnish and German infants due to differences in mode of feeding and the basic commensal microbiota...
- Toxicity of acrylamide and evaluation of its exposure in baby foodsPinar Erkekoglu
Department of Toxicology, Faculty of Pharmacy, Hacettepe University, Ankara, Turkey
Nutr Res Rev 23:323-33. 2010....
- Genotypic and phenotypic characterisation of a collection of Cronobacter (Enterobacter sakazakii) isolatesRabeb Miled-Bennour
Agence Francaise de Securite Sanitaire des Aliments, Afssa Laboratoire d Etudes et de Recherches sur la Qualité des Aliments et des Procédés agro alimentaires Afssa LERQAP, 23 Avenue du Général de Gaulle, 94706 Maisons Alfort cedex, France
Int J Food Microbiol 139:116-25. 2010..In many cases, powdered infant formula (PIF) has been identified as the source of infection. Recently, E...
- Lactobacillus fermentum CECT 5716 is safe and well tolerated in infants of 1-6 months of age: a randomized controlled trialMercedes Gil-Campos
Hospital Universitario Reina Sofia, Avenida Menendez Pidal s n, Cordoba, Spain
Pharmacol Res 65:231-8. 2012The objective of the study was to evaluate the safety and tolerance of an infant formula supplemented with Lactobacillus fermentum CECT5716, a probiotic strain isolated from breast milk, in infants of 1-6 months of age...
- Phylogenetic analysis of Cronobacter isolates based on the rpoA and 16S rRNA genesAmy Strydom
Department of Food Science, Stellenbosch University, Stellenbosch, South Africa
Curr Microbiol 64:251-8. 2012..The objective of this study was to classify Cronobacter isolates from infant formula milk, the food processing environment and fresh produce in South Africa and to evaluate the phylogenetic ..
- Colon microflora in infants fed formula with galacto- and fructo-oligosaccharides: more like breast-fed infantsJan Knol
Numico Research B V, Wageningen, The Netherlands
J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 40:36-42. 2005..We aimed to investigate whether an infant formula supplemented with galacto-oligosaccharides and fructo-oligosaccharides (GOS/FOS) is able to establish a bifido-..
- Clinical evaluation of a new starter formula for infants containing live Bifidobacterium longum BL999 and prebioticsGiuseppe Puccio
Neonatology, Institute of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Palermo, Palermo, Italy
Nutrition 23:1-8. 2007....
- PCR detection of Klebsiella pneumoniae in infant formula based on 16S-23S internal transcribed spacerYin Liu
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, College of Life Sciences, Nankai University, Tianjin 300457, China
Int J Food Microbiol 125:230-5. 2008..pneumoniae from 1.5 CFU/100 g infant formula to about 10(5) CFU/ml in 900 ml of the media. Combination of the enrichment, with the PCR assay can detect 1...
- Specific probiotics in reducing the risk of acute infections in infancy--a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled studySamuli Rautava
Department of Paediatrics, University of Turku, Turku, Finland
Br J Nutr 101:1722-6. 2009..Infants requiring formula before the age of 2 months were recruited from community well-baby clinics. Infant formula supplemented with the probiotics Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG and Bifidobacterium lactis Bb-12 or placebo was ..
- Soy protein infant formulae and follow-on formulae: a commentary by the ESPGHAN Committee on NutritionCarlo Agostoni
University of Milano, Milano, Italy
J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 42:352-61. 2006..There is no evidence supporting the use of soy protein formulae for the prevention or management of infantile colic, regurgitation, or prolonged crying...
- Safety of supplementing infant formula with long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acids and Bifidobacterium lactis in term infants: a randomised controlled trialRobert A Gibson
Women s and Children s Health Research Institute, Children, Youth and Women s Health Service, North Adelaide, Australia
Br J Nutr 101:1706-13. 2009..The aim of the present study is to evaluate the safety of an infant formula containing the LC-PUFA DHA and arachidonic acid (AA) and the probiotic Bifidobacterium lactis by comparing the ..
- Effect of a new synbiotic mixture on atopic dermatitis in infants: a randomized-controlled trialL B van der Aa
Department of Pediatric Respiratory Medicine and Allergy, Emma Children s Hospital, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Clin Exp Allergy 40:795-804. 2010..Clinical trials investigating the therapeutic effect of probiotics on atopic dermatitis (AD) show inconsistent results. Better results can possibly be achieved by combining probiotics with prebiotics, i.e. synbiotics...
- Bifidobacterium animalis subsp. lactis BB-12 in reducing the risk of infections in infancyTeemu Taipale
Korpilahti Muurame Health Care Center, 40950 Muurame, Finland
Br J Nutr 105:409-16. 2011..94%; risk ratio 0·69; 95% CI 0·53, 0·89; P = 0·014) than the control infants. Controlled administration of BB-12 in early childhood may reduce respiratory infections...
- The effect of neutral and acidic oligosaccharides on stool viscosity, stool frequency and stool pH in preterm infantsE A M Westerbeek
Department of Neonatology, VU University Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Acta Paediatr 100:1426-31. 2011....
- Effects of long-term consumption of a fermented infant formula (with Bifidobacterium breve c50 and Streptococcus thermophilus 065) on acute diarrhea in healthy infantsH Thibault
Hopital Necker Enfants Malades, 149 rue de Sevres, 75015 Paris, France
J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 39:147-52. 2004To determine whether long-term consumption of a fermented infant formula could influence the incidence of acute diarrhea and its severity in healthy infants.
- Non-digestible oligosaccharides reduce immunoglobulin free light-chain concentrations in infants at risk for allergyBastiaan Schouten
Division of Pharmacology, Utrecht Institute for Pharmaceutical Sciences, Utrecht University, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Pediatr Allergy Immunol 22:537-42. 2011..This suggests a possible role for Ig-fLC in the pathophysiology of AD in infants at risk for allergy development...
- Effect of formula composition on the development of infant gut microbiotaJean Michel Hascoet
Neonatology Department, Maternite Regionale Universitaire, Nancy, France
J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 52:756-62. 2011..This randomized double-blind controlled trial aimed to evaluate the bifidogenic effect of a mainly whey protein study formula low in phosphate and protein, allowing a composition closer to that of human milk...
- Prebiotics improve gastric motility and gastric electrical activity in preterm newbornsFlavia Indrio
Department of Pediatrics, University of Bari, Bari, Italy
J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 49:258-61. 2009..Prebiotic oligosaccharides can modulate the electrical activity and the gastric emptying and may improve the intestinal tolerance of enteral feeding in preterm infants...
- Current evidence on the associations of breastfeeding, infant formula, and cow's milk introduction with type 1 diabetes mellitus: a systematic reviewEvridiki Patelarou
University Hospital of Heraklion, Department of Social Medicine, University of Crete, Greece
Nutr Rev 70:509-19. 2012..The results of this systematic review indicate a short duration and/or a lack of breastfeeding may constitute a risk factor for the development of T1D later in life...
- Estrogens in the daily diet: in vitro analysis indicates that estrogenic activity is omnipresent in foodstuff and infant formulaMaximilian Behr
Department Aquatic Ecotoxicology, Faculty of Biological Sciences, Goethe University Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Food Chem Toxicol 49:2681-8. 2011..While the dietary exposure to estrogenic activity is lower than previously estimated, our results demonstrate that many food types are a source of unidentified estrogen-like compounds still awaiting toxicological evaluation...
- Effects of a new mixture of prebiotics on faecal flora and stools in term infantsG E Moro
Center for Infant Nutrition, Macedonio Melloni Maternity Hospital, Postgraduate School of Paediatrics, Milan, Italy
Acta Paediatr Suppl 91:77-9. 2003..The GOS/FOS mixture showed a dose-dependent stimulatory effect on the intestinal growth of bifidobacteria. Also stool consistency and faecal pH were positively affected...
- Near-infrared reflectance analysis to evaluate the nitrogen and fat content of human milk in neonatal intensive care unitsL Corvaglia
Istituto Clinico di Pediatria Preventiva e Neonatologia, Policlinico S Orsola Malpighi, Universita di Bologna, Via Massarenti 11 40138 Bologna, Italy
Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed 93:F372-5. 2008..To validate near-infrared reflectance analysis (NIRA) as a fast, reliable and suitable method for routine evaluation of human milk's nitrogen and fat content...
- Probiotic bacteria in dietetic products for infants: a commentary by the ESPGHAN Committee on NutritionCarlo Agostoni
University of Milano, Milan, Italy
J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 38:365-74. 2004
- Probiotics for prevention of necrotising enterocolitis in preterm neonates with very low birthweight: a systematic review of randomised controlled trialsGirish Deshpande
Department of Neonatal Paediatrics, King Edward Memorial Hospital for Women, Subiaco, WA, Australia
Lancet 369:1614-20. 2007....
- Urinary D-lactate excretion in infants receiving Lactobacillus johnsonii with formulaElisabeth Haschke-Becher
Central Laboratory, University Hospital of Neurology, Paracelsus Medical University, Salzburg, Austria
Ann Nutr Metab 53:240-4. 2008..This study aimed to assess the risk of D-lactate accumulation and subsequent metabolic acidosis in infants fed on formula containing Lactobacillus johnsonii (La1)...
- Does initial breastfeeding lead to lower blood cholesterol in adult life? A quantitative review of the evidenceChristopher G Owen
Division of Community Health Sciences, St George s, University of London, London, United Kingdom
Am J Clin Nutr 88:305-14. 2008..Earlier studies have suggested that infant feeding may program long-term changes in cholesterol metabolism...
- Term infants fed formula supplemented with selected blends of prebiotics grow normally and have soft stools similar to those reported for breast-fed infantsEkhard Ziegler
Department of Pediatrics, University of Iowa Hospital and Clinic, Iowa City, IA, USA
J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 44:359-64. 2007....
- Progress in promoting breast-feeding, combating malnutrition, and composition and use of infant formula, 1981-2006William C Heird
Department of Pediatrics, Children s Nutrition Research Center, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX 77030 2600, USA
J Nutr 137:499S-502S. 2007..Despite the progress that has been made in promoting breast-feeding and in the quality of infant formulas, further improvements in the duration of breast-feeding and in the composition of infant formulas are needed...
- Dietary nucleotides and early growth in formula-fed infants: a randomized controlled trialAtul Singhal
Institute of Child Health, Medical Research Council Childhood Nutrition Research Center, 30 Guilford St, London WC1N 3EH, United Kingdom
Pediatrics 126:e946-53. 2010..However, relatively few large-scale randomized trials have tested this hypothesis in healthy infants...
- Flavor perception in human infants: development and functional significanceGary K Beauchamp
Monell Chemical Senses Center, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Digestion 83:1-6. 2011..The flavor of a food determines its acceptability and modulates intake. It is thus critical to understand the factors that influence flavor preferences in humans...
- Growth and tolerance of healthy term infants receiving hydrolyzed infant formulas supplemented with Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG: randomized, double-blind, controlled trialDeolinda M Scalabrin
Department of Medical Affairs, Mead Johnson Nutrition, Evansville, Indiana 47721, USA
Clin Pediatr (Phila) 48:734-44. 2009..The extensively and partially hydrolyzed formulas supplemented with LGG support normal growth in healthy, term infants and are well tolerated and safe...
- Galacto-oligosaccharides are bifidogenic and safe at weaning: a double-blind randomized multicenter studySilvia Fanaro
Neonatal Intensive Care Unit, University of Ferrara, Ferrara, Italy
J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 48:82-8. 2009..Secondary objectives were the effects on stool characteristics, growth, and general well-being...
- Low birth weight and early weight gain in the metabolic syndrome: consequences for infant nutritionAllan Vaag
Steno Diabetes Center, Copenhagen, Denmark
Int J Gynaecol Obstet 104:S32-4. 2009..However, growth limitation by restriction of nutrition in SGA infants below general recommendations should not be recommended...
- Isoflavones at concentrations present in soy infant formula inhibit rotavirus infection in vitroAline Andres
Department of Food Science and Human Nutrition, University of Illinois, Urbana, IL 61801, USA
J Nutr 137:2068-73. 2007..Infants consuming soy-based infant formula (SBIF) are exposed to high levels of isoflavones that exhibit antiviral activity on numerous viruses in vitro ..
- Calcium absorption in infants and small children: methods of determination and recent findingsSteven A Abrams
Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service, Children s Nutrition Research Center, Department of Pediatrics, Baylor College of Medicine and Texas Children s Hospital, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Nutrients 2:474-80. 2010..In older children with a calcium intake typical of Western diets, calcium absorption is adequate to meet bone mineral accretion requirements...
- Infant feeding, solid foods and hospitalisation in the first 8 months after birthM A Quigley
National Perinatal Epidemiology Unit, University of Oxford, Old Road Campus, Headington, Oxford OX3 7LF, UK
Arch Dis Child 94:148-50. 2009..39, 95% CI 0.75 to 2.59; for LRTI, adjusted odds ratio 1.14, 95% CI 0.76 to 1.70), and the risk did not vary significantly according to the age of starting solids...
- Bacterial contamination and over-dilution of commercial infant formula prepared by HIV-infected mothers in a Prevention of Mother-to-Child Transmission (PMTCT) Programme, South AfricaE Andresen
Department of Women s and Children s Health, Uppsala University, Uppsala, Sweden
J Trop Pediatr 53:409-14. 2007..Many mothers did not follow recommended practices in preparing and feeding the bottles...
- Thermal inactivation of ricin using infant formula as a food matrixLauren S Jackson
National Center for Food Safety and Technology, Food and Drug Administration, 6502 South Archer Road, Summit Argo, Illinois 60501, USA
J Agric Food Chem 54:7300-4. 2006..Reconstituted infant formula powders containing 100 mug of ricin/mL were heated at 60-90 degrees C for up to 5 h...
- Soy infant formula and phytoestrogensP G Tuohy
Ministry of Health, Wellington, New Zealand
J Paediatr Child Health 39:401-5. 2003Soy infant formula contains high levels of the isoflavones, genistein and daidzein, which are commonly referred to as phytoestrogens. These are non-steroidal chemicals with structural similarities to estrogen...
- Insulin-like growth factor I concentrations in infancy predict differential gains in body length and adiposity: the Cambridge Baby Growth StudyKen K Ong
Medical Research Council Epidemiology Unit, Institute of Metabolic Science, Addenbrooke s Hospital, Cambridge, UK
Am J Clin Nutr 90:156-61. 2009..Formula milk-fed infants show faster rates of growth and weight gain than do breastfed infants, and they have higher concentrations of insulin-like growth factor I (IGF-I)...
- Development and application of a novel peptide nucleic acid probe for the specific detection of Cronobacter genomospecies (Enterobacter sakazakii) in powdered infant formulaC Almeida
Institute for Biotechnology and Bioengineering, Centre of Biological Engineering, Universidade do Minho, 4710 057 Braga, Portugal
Appl Environ Microbiol 75:2925-30. 2009..a fluorescence in situ hybridization (FISH) method for rapid detection of Cronobacter strains in powdered infant formula (PIF) using a novel peptide nucleic acid (PNA) probe...
- Characteristics of breastfeeding practices among US mothersKatherine R Shealy
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Division of Nutrition, Physical Activity, and Obesity, 4770 Buford Hwy NE, Mail Stop K25, Atlanta, GA 30341, USA
Pediatrics 122:S50-5. 2008..We describe the distributions and characteristics of practices related to common advice about breastfeeding during the infant's first year of life...
- There is (still) too much aluminium in infant formulasShelle Ann M Burrell
The Birchall Centre, Lennard Jones Laboratories, Keele University, Staffordshire, UK
BMC Pediatr 10:63. 2010..We have measured the aluminium content of a number of widely used infant formulas to determine if their contamination by aluminium and consequent issues of child health persists...
- Faecal SIgA secretion in infants fed on pre- or probiotic infant formulaA M Bakker-Zierikzee
Division of Human Nutrition, Wageningen University, Wageningen, The Netherlands
Pediatr Allergy Immunol 17:134-40. 2006..Nineteen infants received standard infant formula; 19 received prebiotic formula containing a specific mixture of 0...
- A formula containing galacto- and fructo-oligosaccharides prevents intestinal and extra-intestinal infections: an observational studyEugenia Bruzzese
Dipartimento di Pediatria, Universita di Napoli Federico II, Via S Pansini 5, 80131 Napoli, Italy
Clin Nutr 28:156-61. 2009The addition of prebiotics to infant formula modifies the composition of intestinal microflora. Aim of the study was to test the hypothesis that prebiotics reduce the incidence of intestinal and respiratory infections in healthy infants.
- Infants' first feeds in Hangzhou, PR ChinaLiqian Qiu
School of Public Health, Curtin University of Technology, GPO Box U1987, Perth, Western Australia 6845, Australia
Asia Pac J Clin Nutr 16:458-61. 2007..115, 95% CI 0.055-0.238). While in hospital just over one quarter of infants received prelacteal feeds and these infants had a lower rate of breastfeeding on discharge...
- Prebiotic effect of fructo-oligosaccharide supplemented term infant formula at two concentrations compared with unsupplemented formula and human milkArthur R Euler
Wyeth Nutrition, Collegeville, Pennsylvania, USA
J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 40:157-64. 2005..The purpose of this study was to determine the prebiotic effect of infant formula supplemented with fructo-oligosaccharides.
- Effect of a milk formula containing probiotics on the fecal microbiota of asian infants at risk of atopic diseasesKa Weng Mah
Department of Paediatrics, National University of Singapore, Singapore 119074
Pediatr Res 62:674-9. 2007..4 versus 7.4; p = 0.035). Our results indicate that supplemented strains could be detected but did not persist in the bowel once probiotic administration had ceased...
- The effect of a bifidobacter supplemented bovine milk on intestinal permeability of preterm infantsZ Stratiki
Department of Neonatal Medicine, Alexandra Regional General Hospital, Athens, Greece
Early Hum Dev 83:575-9. 2007..Preterm infants have increased intestinal permeability which can render them susceptible to infections from enterobacteriae...
- Noninvasive stool-based detection of infant gastrointestinal development using gene expression profiles from exfoliated epithelial cellsRobert S Chapkin
Texas A and M Univ, College Station, TX 77843 2253, USA
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 298:G582-9. 2010..As larger data sets become available, this methodology can be extended to validation and, ultimately, identification of the main nutritional components that modulate intestinal maturation and function...
- Effect of iron supplementation on haemoglobin response in children: systematic review of randomised controlled trialsTarun Gera
S L Jain Hospital, New Delhi, India
J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 44:468-86. 2007..To evaluate the effect of iron supplementation on haemoglobin (Hb) in children through a systematic review of randomised controlled trials...
- Quantitative real-time PCR analysis of fecal Lactobacillus species in infants receiving a prebiotic infant formulaMonique Haarman
Microbiology Section, Biomedical Research Department, Numico Research B V, P O Box 7005, 6700 CA Wageningen, The Netherlands
Appl Environ Microbiol 72:2359-65. 2006..delbrueckii and less L. paracasei compared to breast-fed infants and OSF-fed infants. An infant milk formula containing a specific mixture of prebiotics is able to induce a microbiota that closely resembles the microbiota of BF infants...
- Effects of feeding an infant formula containing Lactobacillus GG on the colonization of the intestine: a dose-response study in healthy infantsBryon W Petschow
Mead Johnson Nutritionals, Evansville, IN 47721, USA
J Clin Gastroenterol 39:786-90. 2005....
- Intestinal permeability in preterm infants by feeding type: mother's milk versus formulaSarah N Taylor
Department of Pediatrics, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, South Carolina 29425, USA
Breastfeed Med 4:11-5. 2009..This study identified the relationship between feeding type (human milk and formula) and intestinal permeability as measured by lactulose to mannitol ratio in preterm infants in the first postnatal month...
- The DIAMOND (DHA Intake And Measurement Of Neural Development) Study: a double-masked, randomized controlled clinical trial of the maturation of infant visual acuity as a function of the dietary level of docosahexaenoic acidEileen E Birch
Retina Foundation of the Southwest, Dallas, TX 75231, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 91:848-59. 2010..The range of human milk docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) concentrations worldwide is much broader than the range explored in randomized clinical trials to date...
- Molecular ecological analysis of fecal bacterial populations from term infants fed formula supplemented with selected blends of prebioticsNoriko Nakamura
Division of Nutritional Sciences, Institute for Genomic Biology, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, 1207 W Gregory Drive, Urbana, IL 61801, USA
Appl Environ Microbiol 75:1121-8. 2009....
- The effect of breastfeeding on mean body mass index throughout life: a quantitative review of published and unpublished observational evidenceChristopher G Owen
Division of Community Health Sciences, St George s, University of London, London, United Kingdom
Am J Clin Nutr 82:1298-307. 2005..Evidence from observational studies has suggested that breastfeeding may reduce the prevalence of obesity in later life...
- Mothers' infant feeding experiences: constraints and supports for optimal feeding in an HIV-impacted urban community in South AfricaLindiwe Sibeko
School of Dietetics and Human Nutrition, McGill University, 21, 111 Lakeshore Road, Ste Anne de Bellevue, Quebec, Canada, H9X 3V9
Public Health Nutr 12:1983-90. 2009..To better understand the enabling and challenging factors impacting on infant feeding practices in communities with a high HIV prevalence...
- Acute and chronic effects of oral genistein administration in neonatal miceMelissa A Cimafranca
Department of Veterinary Biosciences, Division of Nutritional Sciences, University of Illinois, 2001 S Lincoln Ave, Urbana, IL 61802, USA
Biol Reprod 83:114-21. 2010..The immediate and long-term effects in this neonatal animal model raise concerns that high serum concentrations of genistein are estrogenic and could potentially impact the development of human infants fed soy formula...
- Tolerance and safety of Lactobacillus paracasei ssp. paracasei in combination with Bifidobacterium animalis ssp. lactis in a prebiotic-containing infant formula: a randomised controlled trialArine M Vlieger
Department of Paediatrics, St Antonius Hospital, Nieuwegein, The Netherlands
Br J Nutr 102:869-75. 2009The addition of probiotics to infant formula has been shown to be an efficient way to increase the number of beneficial bacteria in the intestine in order to promote a gut flora resembling that of breast-fed infants...
- Mothers' experiences of bottle-feeding: a systematic review of qualitative and quantitative studiesR Lakshman
MRC Epidemiology Unit, Institute of Metabolic Science, Cambridge CB2 0QQ, UK
Arch Dis Child 94:596-601. 2009..Variations in formula-feeding practices can have both short- and long-term health consequences. The literature on parents' experiences of bottle-feeding was systematically reviewed to understand how formula-feeding decisions are made...
- MUCOSAL PROTECTIVE FACTORS IN HUMAN MILKRadhakrishna Rao; Fiscal Year: 2003..Such a beneficial effect was not observed by feeding infant formula. We recently demonstrated that human milk contains protective factors that protect the intestinal epithelial ..
- Early Infant Feeding and Epigenetic Modification in Tumor Suppressor GenesAnne Merewood; Fiscal Year: 2010..Levels of key dietary components known to affect methylation differ in human milk and infant formula, and accordingly, in infants fed human milk or formula...
- Interaction of BPA and soy isoflavones on sociosexual behaviorHeather B Patisaul; Fiscal Year: 2013..The latter is critical given the growing prevalence of soy infant formula. Thus, the experiments proposed herein will test the hypothesis that isoflavone consumption, even after BPA ..
- Expansion and Enhancement of the Arkansas FERN Chemistry LaboratoryJeffery H Moran; Fiscal Year: 2013Project Summary Large scale events like the Deepwater Horizon Oil Rig Explosion of 2010 and infant formula being purposely fortified with melamine in China cause great concern and heighten the level of awareness among Americans...
- Addressing Health Literacy and Numeracy to Prevent Childhood ObesityHsiang Shonna Yin; Fiscal Year: 2013..health literacy or numeracy is associated with poorer caregiver breastfeeding knowledge, incorrect mixing of infant formula, difficulty understanding food labels and portion sizes, and higher Body Mass Index (BMI) in adults and ..
- Community Partnership for Breastfeeding Promotion and SupportANN MARIE DOZIER; Fiscal Year: 2013..recommendations and policies advising otherwise infants born to low income mothers (LIM) have higher rates of infant formula use and premature introduction of complementary food (CF), unsafe sleep conditions and second hand smoke (SHS) ..
- Impact of diet composition during infancy on energy balance, satiety and growthJILLIAN CHRISTINE TRABULSI; Fiscal Year: 2013..We recently discovered that one type of infant formula normalized weight gain of formula-fed infants relative to that of breastfed infants during the first year of ..
- Fusing Glycobiology and Nutritional Sciences to Prevent Necrotizing EnterocolitisLars Bode; Fiscal Year: 2009Almost one third of all infants are not or cannot be breast-fed and receive infant formula. Formula-feeding significantly increases the risk to develop necrotizing enterocolitis (NEC), the most frequent and most lethal disorder in ..
- Measuring radioactivity in food samples.Kenneth M Aldous; Fiscal Year: 2013..fruits, juices, grains and grain products, seafood and other fish products, milk and other dairy products, infant formula, baby foods, bottled water, condiments, and alcoholic beverages...
- Evaluate a Peer Counseling Program to Promote Breastfeeding in WIC ParticipantsTheodore J Joyce; Fiscal Year: 2013..Infants and Children (WIC) has been the promotion of breastfeeding coupled with the availability of free infant formula. Breastfeeding initiation and duration is substantially lower among WIC participants than their eligible non-..
- Mediating Factors in the Relationship between Obesity and Poor Lactation OutcomesLAURIE ANN NOMMSEN RIVERS; Fiscal Year: 2010..obese) were greater maternal body mass index, older maternal age, greater infant birth weight, and use of infant formula. Three of these risk factors (greater maternal body mass index, older maternal age, greater infant birth ..
- Clinical Epidemiologic and Biologic Studies of Donor Human Milk and BreastfeedingTARAH TRINITY COLAIZY; Fiscal Year: 2012..By determining the effects of donor milk on health and developmental outcomes when compared to preterm infant formula, we seek to optimize outcomes in this fragile population...
- TEST OF TAURINE AS AN ESSENTIAL NUTRIENTJohn Sturman; Fiscal Year: 1993..In studies now completed, rhesus infants fed a taurine-free soy protein-based human infant formula from birth had reduced plasma taurine levels similar to those in human infants fed the same formulas...
- Validation & Pilot testing of Methods for Assessing Infants' Dietary Pesticide ExP Barry Ryan; Fiscal Year: 2010..the current gap in knowledge by validating methods for measuring current use pesticides in breast milk and infant formula. Although the breast milk method will be pilot tested on samples collected from a birth cohort in Thailand, it ..
- BIOTIN REQUIREMENTS OF INFANTSDonald Mock; Fiscal Year: 1992..The specific aims are 1) to accurately measure the total content of biotin and biotin analogs in infant formula, urine, and feces, 2) to determine biotin balance in normal, formula-fed infants fed formula with biotin ..
- Formula with antimicrobials to decrease infant mortalityKoteswara Chintalacharuvu; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- TRACE-ELEMENT EXPOSURE FROM HUMAN MILK AND FORMULASteven Morris; Fiscal Year: 1980..and radiochemical neutron activation analysis - to determine selected element concentrations in cow's milk, infant formula, and human milk; and (2) to compare these element concentrations in pooled samples of cow's milk and infant ..
- Accurate Noninvasive Test of Steatorrhea in InfantsMorteza Janghorbani; Fiscal Year: 2004..Our proposed "Test Kit" is based on administering a feeding of infant formula containing a suitably labeled 13C-triglyceride (TG), a trace amount of the nonabsorbable marker dysprosium ..
- NEW SOURCE OF ARACHIDONIC ACID FOR INFANT FORMULADAVID KYLE; Fiscal Year: 1992..Recent studies using fish oil supplementation of pre-term infant formula to provide essential omega-3 PUFAs (specifically docosahexaenoic acid) for brain and retina development have ..
- FOLLOWUP OF ADULTS WITH A KNOWN INFANT FEEDING HISTORYEKHARD ZEIGLER; Fiscal Year: 2000..This project is associated with a follow-up questionnaire study of babies who received different kinds of infant formula 20-40 years ago...
- ALCOHOL EFFECT ON HUMAN LACTATION AND INFANT BEHAVIORJULIE MENNELLA; Fiscal Year: 2007..AIM 3: To explore the role of early experiences with ethanol in mothers' milk and the emotional context of such experiences, on the recognition of, and preference for, the sensory properties of ethanol ..
- Mammalian Lactoferrin Receptors: Structure and FunctionBo Lonnerdal; Fiscal Year: 2007..Overall, our understanding of the physiological significance of Lf and its receptor will be increased. ..
- Development and Maintenance of Binocular Vision (EY005236)EILEEN ELIZABETH BIRCH; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- DIETARY OMEGA-3 FATTY ACIDS, GENE EXPRESSION AND GROWTHWilliam Heird; Fiscal Year: 2001..abstract_text> ..
- RESEARCH TRAINING IN MATERNAL, INFANT & CHILD NUTRITIONWilliam Heird; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Impact of Development on Protein Utilization and GrowthWilliam Heird; Fiscal Year: 2007..Overall, the findings of this project are expected to contribute to further improvements in nutritional management and, hence, outcome of LBW infants. ..
- OMEGA-3 FATTY ACIDS IN NORMAL VISUAL DEVELOPMENTEileen Birch; Fiscal Year: 2003..While the focus of research on LCP supplementation of infant formula has been on the first 2-4 months of life, little is known about the critical period during which dietary LCPs ..
- Feasibility and Pilot Efficacy of Flash-heated Breastmilk to Reduce Pediatric HIVCaroline Chantry; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Alcohol: Direct and Indirect Effects in Drug MetabolismTHOMAS BADGER; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Identification of Biomarkers of Autoimmunity in T1D by Novel ToolsMikael Knip; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Diet treatment of Galactosemic Infants: A Pilot StudyCan Ficicioglu; Fiscal Year: 2007..Evidence from this study may have a future impact on how newborn galactosemics are treated with a potential for moderating long-term complications. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- WHO MULTICENTER GROWTH REFERENCE STUDY: U.S. SITEKathryn Dewey; Fiscal Year: 2002..The data will be pooled by WHO to create a new growth reference, applicable to all infants and children internationally. ..
- Prevention of Vitamin D Deficiency in Breastfed InfantsEkhard Ziegler; Fiscal Year: 2009..The study has considerable public health importance because of the importance of preventing vitamin D deficiency not only in its severe form, rickets, but also in its milder forms. ..
- EFFECTS OF EARLY AGGRESSIVE NUTRITION ON VLBW INFANTSSudha Kashyap; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- ETHANOL METABOLISM IN PREGNANCY--ROLE OF DIETMartin Ronis; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Iron and the Breast-fed InfantEkhard Ziegler; Fiscal Year: 2005..We expect to find that infants re-excrete iron into the feces when their iron stores are full, but retain most of the absorbed iron when iron stores are low. ..
- Bioactivity and Vitamins in Flash-heated BreastmilkCaroline Chantry; Fiscal Year: 2005..Information from these analyses will be used in linear programming to predict how the described changes in nutrient content of milk due to heating would affect the overall dietary needs of the child and the associated costs. ..
- ETHANOL EFFECTS ON BONE FORMATION IN PREGNANCYMartin Ronis; Fiscal Year: 2006..The role of CYP2E1 and free radicals in the skeletal toxicity of ethanol during these periods will also be studied. ..
- Validation of Preschool and High School Diet RecallKARIN MICHELS; Fiscal Year: 2006..Lastly we will determine whether the validity of recall depends on characteristics such as time between diet record and FFQ, number of children, gender of the subject, and nutritional status. ..
- A-1 Adenosine Receptor Action in Developing HeartScott Rivkees; Fiscal Year: 2005..We anticipate that these studies will identify Rho and ROCK as critical signaling molecules in heart development and reveal that cardiac GTPase activity transduces the effects of adenosine. ..
- SUPPRESSION OF T CELL ACTIVATION BY DIETARY FATTY ACIDSROBERT CHAPKIN; Fiscal Year: 2003..g., rheumatoid arthritis), without compromising host defenses. ..
- PRECISE ISOTOPE RATIO CHROMATOGRAPHY AND STABLE TRACERSJAMES BRENNA; Fiscal Year: 2004..The successful accomplishment of these plans will yield new tools and experimental approaches for investigation of the impact of developmental factors and recent physiological history on development of chronic disease. ..
- DIARRHEAL DISEASE STUDYRoger Shapiro; Fiscal Year: 2004..The study will be carried out in three towns in southeast Botswana as a collaborative effort between the Harvard AIDS Institute and the AIDS/STD Unit of Botswana at Gaborone (AIDSBG). ..
- The Role of Adenosine in Hypoglycemic Brain InjuryScott Rivkees; Fiscal Year: 2003..We anticipate that these studies will yield new insights into the mechanisms of hypoglycemic brain injury and may lead to the development of practical strategies for reducing hypoglycemic brain injury. ..
- URINE LOSS AND PROLAPSE IN NUNS AND THEIR PAROUS SISTERSGUNHILDE BUCHSBAUM; Fiscal Year: 2003..A matched pair logistic regression will be performed to obtain an adjusted estimate of the impact of familiality and vaginal delivery in UT and POP, taking into account other risk factors. ..
- HIV-1 Specific Cytotoxic T Lymphocytes in BreastmilkGrace John Stewart; Fiscal Year: 2003..The resulting findings will be relevant to development of vaccines for prevention of mother-to-child transmission of HIV-1. ..
- A1-ADENOSINE RECEPTOR ACTION IN HIPPOCAMPUSScott Rivkees; Fiscal Year: 2003..We anticipate these studies will lead to new insights into the mechanisms of A1AR action. We also anticipate that these studies will identify A1ARs as an important regulator of axon growth. ..
- DEVELOPING CIRCADIAN RHYTHMICITYScott Rivkees; Fiscal Year: 2002..These studies may also lead to the development of new care practices in Neonatal Intensive Care Units and extend the field of developmental chronobiology to the bedside. ..
- DIETARY ESSENTIAL FATTY ACID ACCUMULATION IN RETINAJAMES BRENNA; Fiscal Year: 2002..Sub-normal development will be directly revealed via functional tests to assess the impact of low omega-3 fatty acid status on develop of vision acid status on development of vision and related health parameters. ..
- Mechanisms of Immune Modulation by Abscisic AcidJosep Bassaganya Riera; Fiscal Year: 2010..The mechanistic understanding of the immune modulatory properties of botanicals such as ABA will aid in the development of more efficacious CAM approaches for modulating immune function and ameliorating infectious diseases. ..
- Pregnancy Related Weight Gain: A Link to ObesityAnna Maria Siega Riz; Fiscal Year: 2006..These data, both the quantitative and qualitative, will be used to identify modifiable behaviors for pregnant women that are associated with gaining weight above the recommended ranges and postpartum weight retention. ..
- Gas phase derivatization for lipidomic MS analysisJAMES BRENNA; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- A new device for metabolic monitoring in infantsRussell Rising; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Fundamental Study of Welding Fume InhalationSerap Erdal; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Bone Density And Later Bone Loss In Rural PopulationsBonny Specker; Fiscal Year: 2005..S. population. ..
- Longitudinal Study of Fluoride, Diet, Caries & FluorosisSteven Levy; Fiscal Year: 2008..As studies involving recruitment and successful retention of a cohort from birth are extremely rare, the Iowa Fluoride Study offers a unique opportunity to study these relationships in unprecedented detail. ..
- Glucosyltransferase as a Marker for Caries ActivityWilliam Bowen; Fiscal Year: 2005..Our eventual goal (in a future application) is to determine caries risk well before the onset of lesions and to identify those who are caries active short of cavitation or even white spot formation. ..
- Development of Genetic Tools for Clostridium botulinumEric Johnson; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Oral Feeding in InfantsChantal Lau; Fiscal Year: 2009..The secondary outcomes will be attainment of specific feeding milestones at 3, 6, 12, 18, and 24 months corrected age. ..
- Anti-Adenosine Therapy of Neonatal Brain InjuryScott Rivkees; Fiscal Year: 2007..It is anticipated that these studies will lead to novel and practical strategies for directly preventing brain injury. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- FETAL GLUCOSE AND AMINO ACID DEPRIVATIONWilliam Hay; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Radioactive Iodide Therapy of Pediatric Graves' DiseaseScott A Rivkees; Fiscal Year: 2010....