Genomes and Genes
Summary: Materials fabricated by BIOMIMETICS techniques, i.e., based on natural processes found in biological systems.
Publications280 found, 100 shown here
- Biomimetic nanofibrous scaffolds for bone tissue engineeringJeremy M Holzwarth
Department of Biomedical Engineering, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
Biomaterials 32:9622-9. 2011..It will then cover how these scaffolds can enhance the osteogenic capabilities of a variety of cell types and survey the ability of the constructs to support the growth of clinically relevant bone tissue...
- Biomimetic materials for tissue engineeringHeungsoo Shin
Department of Bioengineering, Rice University, MS 142, P O Box 1892, Houston, TX 77251 1892, USA
Biomaterials 24:4353-64. 2003The development of biomaterials for tissue engineering applications has recently focused on the design of biomimetic materials that are capable of eliciting specific cellular responses and directing new tissue formation mediated by ..
- Layered nanocomposites inspired by the structure and mechanical properties of nacreJianfeng Wang
Key Laboratory of Bio Inspired Smart Interfacial Science and Technology of Ministry of Education, School of Chemistry and Environment, Beihang University, Beijing 100191, China
Chem Soc Rev 41:1111-29. 2012..Discussion is focused on the effect of the layered structure, interface, and component loading on strength and toughness of nacre-mimic layered nanocomposites (148 references)...
- Towards high-performance bioinspired compositesAndré R Studart
Complex Materials, Department of Materials, ETH Zurich, 8093 Zurich, Switzerland
Adv Mater 24:5024-44. 2012..The importance of replicating the design principles of biological materials rather than their structure per se is highlighted, and possible directions for further progress in this fascinating, interdisciplinary field are discussed...
- Diffusion in musculoskeletal tissue engineering scaffolds: design issues related to porosity, permeability, architecture, and nutrient mixingTejas S Karande
Center for Clinical Bioengineering, The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, San Antonio, TX, USA
Ann Biomed Eng 32:1728-43. 2004..The different types of biomaterials used, scaffold fabrication techniques implemented and the pore sizes/porosities obtained over the past 5 years have also been addressed...
- Unfolding of proteins and long transient conformations detected by single nanopore recordingG Oukhaled
Laboratoire de Recherche sur les Polymeres, Equipe Matériaux Polymères aux Interfaces, CNRS UMR 7581, Université d Evry, 91025 Evry, France
Phys Rev Lett 98:158101. 2007..Long blockades reveal partially folded conformations. Their duration increases as the proteins are more folded. The observation of a Vogel-Fulcher law suggests a glassy behavior...
- Disrupting protein-protein interactions with non-peptidic, small molecule alpha-helix mimeticsChristopher G Cummings
Department of Chemistry, Yale University, 225 Prospect Street, P O Box 208107, New Haven, CT 06520 8107, USA
Curr Opin Chem Biol 14:341-6. 2010..Herein recent applications of the indane, terphenyl, terphenyl-inspired templates, polycyclic ether and benzodiazepinedione scaffolds, as non-peptidic, small molecule alpha-helix mimetics, to disrupt PPIs are detailed...
- Integrated biomimetic carbon nanotube composites for in vivo systemsManoj Kumar Singh
Nanotechnology Research Division, Center for Mechanical Technology and Automation, University of Aveiro, 3810 193, Aveiro, Portugal
Nanoscale 2:2855-63. 2010..We believe that these results will have applications in a diversity of areas including carbon nanotube, regeneration, chemistry, and engineering research...
- The effect of biomimetic apatite structure on osteoblast viability, proliferation, and gene expressionYu Fen Chou
Department of Bioengineering, University of California, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Biomaterials 26:285-95. 2005..The results of this study suggest differential cell responses to subtle changes in apatite microenvironment...
- MyD88-dependent and -independent signaling by IL-1 in neurons probed by bifunctional Toll/IL-1 receptor domain/BB-loop mimeticsChristopher N Davis
The Harold L Dorris Neurological Institute, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:2953-8. 2006....
- Cell-cell communication mimicry with poly(ethylene glycol) hydrogels for enhancing beta-cell functionChien Chi Lin
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Indiana University Purdue University at Indianapolis, Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 108:6380-5. 2011..This unique gel platform demonstrates new strategies for tailoring biomimetic environments to enhance the encapsulation of cells that require cell-cell contact to survive and function...
- Toughening through nature-adapted nanoscale designZaklina Burghard
Institute for Material Science, University of Stuttgart, Heisenbergstrasse 3, D 70569 Stuttgart, Germany
Nano Lett 9:4103-8. 2009..Our findings highlight the significance of the 10:1 inorganic/organic layer thickness ratio evolved by nature, and provide novel perspectives for the future development of efficient bioinspired thin films...
- The stiffness of three-dimensional ionic self-assembling peptide gels affects the extent of capillary-like network formationA L Sieminski
Department of Biological Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 77 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA
Cell Biochem Biophys 49:73-83. 2007..The structural properties of peptide gels and their ability to support capillary morphogenesis in vitro make them promising biomaterials to investigate for numerous biomedical applications...
- Oxygen activation by nonheme iron(II) complexes: alpha-keto carboxylate versus carboxylateMark P Mehn
Department of Chemistry and Center for Metals in Biocatalysis, 207 Pleasant Street Southeast, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN 55455, USA
J Am Chem Soc 125:7828-42. 2003....
- Polymeric scaffolds for bone tissue engineeringXiaohua Liu
Department of Biologic and Materials Sciences, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, USA
Ann Biomed Eng 32:477-86. 2004..g. porosity, pore size, interconnectivity, and pore-wall microstructures) are discussed. Surface modification of scaffolds is also discussed based on the significant effect of surface chemistry on cells adhesion and function...
- A bioelectronic platform using a graphene-lipid bilayer interfacePriscilla Kailian Ang
Department of Chemistry, National University of Singapore, 3 Science Drive 3, Singapore 117543
ACS Nano 4:7387-94. 2010..Here, we demonstrate that the bactericidal activity of antimicrobial peptides can be sensed electrically by graphene based on a complex interplay of biomolecular doping and ionic screening effect...
- What factors influence the ratio of C-H hydroxylation versus C=C epoxidation by a nonheme cytochrome P450 biomimetic?Sam P de Visser
Manchester Interdisciplinary Biocenter and the School of Chemical Engineering and Analytical Science, The University of Manchester, Manchester M1 7DN, United Kingdom
J Am Chem Soc 128:15809-18. 2006..This is the first oxoiron complex whereby we calculated a chemoselective hydroxylation over epoxidation in the gas phase...
- Dimeric Smac mimetics/IAP inhibitors as in vivo-active pro-apoptotic agents. Part II: Structural and biological characterizationDaniele Lecis
Dipartimento di Oncologia Sperimentale e Medicina Molecolare, Fondazione IRCCS Istituto Nazionale dei Tumori, Via Amadeo 42, Milan, Italy
Bioorg Med Chem 20:6709-23. 2012..3.0]decane scaffold as potential antineoplastic agents...
- Homo- and heterodimeric Smac mimetics/IAP inhibitors as in vivo-active pro-apoptotic agents. Part I: SynthesisLeonardo Manzoni
Istituto di Scienze e Tecnologie Molecolari ISTM, Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche CNR, Via Golgi 19, Milan, Italy
Bioorg Med Chem 20:6687-708. 2012..The synthesis, purification and analytical characterization of each prepared dimer 8-10 is thoroughly described...
- A reversible wet/dry adhesive inspired by mussels and geckosHaeshin Lee
Biomedical Engineering Department, Northwestern University, Evanston, Illinois 60208, USA
Nature 448:338-41. 2007..This hybrid adhesive, which combines the salient design elements of both gecko and mussel adhesives, should be useful for reversible attachment to a variety of surfaces in any environment...
- Increasing the pore sizes of bone-mimetic electrospun scaffolds comprised of polycaprolactone, collagen I and hydroxyapatite to enhance cell infiltrationMatthew C Phipps
University of Alabama at Birmingham, Department of Physiology and Biophysics, United States
Biomaterials 33:524-34. 2012....
- Engineering hydrogels as extracellular matrix mimicsHikmet Geckil
Health Sciences and Technology, Harvard MIT Health Sciences and Technology, Bio Acoustic MEMS in Medicine BAMM Laboratory, 65 Landsdowne St, 267, 02139 Cambridge, MA, USA
Nanomedicine (Lond) 5:469-84. 2010..In this article, we detail the progress of the current state-of-the-art engineering methods to create cell-encapsulating hydrogel tissue constructs as well as their applications in in vitro models in biomedicine...
- Carbon nanotube arrays with strong shear binding-on and easy normal lifting-offLiangti Qu
Department of Chemical and Materials Engineering, School of Engineering, University of Dayton, 300 College Park, Dayton, OH 45469, USA
Science 322:238-42. 2008..The mimetic adhesives can be alternatively binding-on and lifting-off over various substrates for simulating the walking of a living gecko...
- Biomimetic apatite formation on chemically treated titaniumLenka Jonásová
Department of Materials Science III, University of Erlangen Nuremberg, Martensstrasse 5, Erlangen 91058, Germany
Biomaterials 25:1187-94. 2004..The treatment of titanium by acid etching in HCl and subsequently in NaOH is a suitable method for providing the metal implant with bone-bonding ability...
- Modular alpha-helical mimetics with antiviral activity against respiratory syncitial virusNicholas E Shepherd
Centre for Drug Design and Development, Institute for Molecular Bioscience University of Queensland, Brisbane, QLD 407, Australia
J Am Chem Soc 128:13284-9. 2006....
- Rigid biological systems as models for synthetic compositesGeorge Mayer
Department of Materials Science and Engineering, University of Washington, Roberts Hall 335, Box 352120, Seattle, WA 98195 2120, USA
Science 310:1144-7. 2005..Some of the important advantages and limitations of copying from nature are also described here...
- Biomimicking extracellular matrix: cell adhesive RGD peptide modified electrospun poly(D,L-lactic-co-glycolic acid) nanofiber meshTaek Gyoung Kim
Department of Biological Sciences, Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology, Daejeon, South Korea
Tissue Eng 12:221-33. 2006..Cell attachment, spreading, and proliferation were greatly enhanced in the RGD modified electrospun PLGA nanofiber mesh compared with that of the unmodified one...
- Peptidomimetics, a synthetic tool of drug discoveryJosef Vagner
BIO5 Institute, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ 85721, USA
Curr Opin Chem Biol 12:292-6. 2008..Recent advances in the synthesis of conformationally restricted building blocks and peptide bond isosteres are discussed...
- Toward biomimetic materials in bone regeneration: functional behavior of mesenchymal stem cells on a broad spectrum of extracellular matrix componentsAndrea Ode
Julius Wolff Institute, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Berlin, Germany
J Biomed Mater Res A 95:1114-24. 2010..Finally, on this basis, peptide sequences are reported for the potential stimulation of MSC functions. Based on the results of this study, ECM component coatings could be designed to specifically guide cell functions...
- Materials science. Bioinspired structural materialsChristine Ortiz
Department of Materials Science and Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA
Science 319:1053-4. 2008
- 3-D Nanofibrous electrospun multilayered construct is an alternative ECM mimicking scaffoldS Srouji
Anatomy and Cell Biology, Faculty of Medicine, Technion I I T, Haifa 32000, Israel
J Mater Sci Mater Med 19:1249-55. 2008..Cell viability after seeding was analyzed by AlamarBlue Assay. At the various stages of experiment, cell morphology was examined by histology, scanning electron microscopy (SEM) and confocal microscopy...
- Mesenchymal stem cell responses to bone-mimetic electrospun matrices composed of polycaprolactone, collagen I and nanoparticulate hydroxyapatiteMatthew C Phipps
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama, United States of America
PLoS ONE 6:e16813. 2011..Collectively these results suggest that electrospun bone-mimetic matrices serve as promising degradable substrates for bone regenerative applications...
- Biomimetic materials research: what can we really learn from nature's structural materials?Peter Fratzl
Max Planck Institute of Colloids and Interfaces, Department of Biomaterials, Research Campus Golm, 14424 Potsdam, Germany
J R Soc Interface 4:637-42. 2007..b>Biomimetic materials research is becoming a rapidly growing and enormously promising field...
- Natural and biomimetic materials for the detection of insulinRomana Schirhagl
Department of Analytical Chemistry, University of Vienna, Waehringer Strasse 38, A 1090 Vienna, Austria
Anal Chem 84:3908-13. 2012..Natural antibodies as coatings were compared with biomimetic materials to fabricate mass-sensitive sensors...
- In vitro response of MC3T3-E1 pre-osteoblasts within three-dimensional apatite-coated PLGA scaffoldsYu Fen Chou
Department of Bioengineering, 7525 Boelter Hall, University of California, Los Angeles, California 90095, USA
J Biomed Mater Res B Appl Biomater 75:81-90. 2005..In summary, apatite-promoted osteoblastic differentiation can be observed in a 3D model system that is relevant to tissue engineering...
- Accelerating the design of biomimetic materials by integrating RNA-seq with proteomics and materials sciencePaul A Guerette
1 School of Materials Science and Engineering, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore 2
Nat Biotechnol 31:908-15. 2013..Integrating RNA-seq with proteomics and materials science facilitates the molecular characterization of natural materials and the effective translation of their molecular designs into a wide range of bio-inspired materials. ..
- Nonheme FeIVO complexes that can oxidize the C-H bonds of cyclohexane at room temperatureJózsef Kaizer
Department of Chemistry and Center for Metals in Biocatalysis, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, Minnesota 55455, USA
J Am Chem Soc 126:472-3. 2004..Furthermore, a large deuterium KIE value is found in the oxidation of ethylbenzene. These observations lend strong credence to postulated mechanisms of mononuclear nonheme iron enzymes that invoke the intermediacy of oxoiron(IV) species...
- Proinflammatory characteristics of SMAC/DIABLO-induced cell death in antitumor therapyPerpetua U Emeagi
Department of Immunology Physiology, Laboratory of Molecular and Cellular Therapy, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Jette, Belgium
Cancer Res 72:1342-52. 2012..Together, our findings suggest that SMAC mimetics can elicit a proinflammatory cell death that is sufficient to activate adaptive antitumor immune responses in cancer...
- Biomimetic aryl hydroxylation derived from alkyl hydroperoxide at a nonheme iron center. Evidence for an Fe(IV)=O oxidantMichael P Jensen
Department of Chemistry and Center for Metals in Biocatalysis, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, Minnesota 55455, USA
J Am Chem Soc 125:2113-28. 2003....
- Tablet-level origin of toughening in abalone shells and translation to synthetic composite materialsHoracio D Espinosa
Northwestern University, Mechanical Engineering, 2145 Sheridan Road, Evanston, Illinois 60208 3111, USA
Nat Commun 2:173. 2011..Ultimately, lessons from this investigation may be key to realizing the immense potential of widely pursued nanocomposites...
- Physicochemical and biological properties of biomimetic mineralo-protein nanoparticles formed spontaneously in biological fluidsHsin Hsin Peng
Laboratory of Nanomaterials, Chang Gung University, 259 Wen Hwa First Road, Gueishan, Taoyuan 333, Taiwan
Small 9:2297-307. 2013..While mineral NPs do not activate immune cells, they may become pro-inflammatory and contribute to pathological processes once they aggregate and form larger mineral particles...
- Biomimetic materials for medical application through enzymatic modificationPiergiorgio Gentile
Department of Mechanics, Politecnico di Torino, Corso Duca degli Abruzzi 24, 10129, Turin, Italy
Adv Biochem Eng Biotechnol 125:181-205. 2011..In this chapter, the most significant research efforts dedicated to the study and the preparation of biomimetic materials through enzymatic modifications were reviewed...
- Growth of human cells on a non-woven silk fibroin net: a potential for use in tissue engineeringRonald E Unger
Institute of Pathology, Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz, Langenbeckstr 1, Mainz 55101, Germany
Biomaterials 25:1069-75. 2004....
- Nanoscale growth factor patterns by immobilization on a heparin-mimicking polymerKaren L Christman
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, University of California, Los Angeles, 607 Charles E Young Drive East, Los Angeles, California 90095 1569, USA
J Am Chem Soc 130:16585-91. 2008..Fluorescence microscopy confirmed that bFGF and VEGF were subsequently immobilized to the polymer micro- and nanopatterns...
- Apatite formation on non-woven fabric of carboxymethylated chitin in SBFTadashi Kokubo
Research Institute for Science and Technology, Chubu University, 1200 Matsumoto cho, Kasugai, Aichi 487 8501, Japan
Biomaterials 25:4485-8. 2004..The apatite-chitin fibre composite thus prepared is expected to be useful as a flexible bioactive bone-repairing material...
- Synthesis and morphogenesis of organic and inorganic polymers by means of biominerals and biomimetic materialsMisako Kijima
Department of Applied Chemistry, Faculty of Science and Technology, Keio University, 3 14 1 Hiyoshi, Kohoku Ku, Yokohama 223 8522, Japan
Chemistry 19:2284-93. 2013..Based on these results, the approach for the coupled synthesis and morphogenesis can be applied to a variety of combinations of the templates and polymer materials...
- Multiple lipid compartments slow vesicle contents release in lipases and serumCecile Boyer
Department of Chemical Engineering, University of California, Santa Barbara, CA 93106, USA
ACS Nano 1:176-82. 2007..The vesosome is a better mimic of eukaryotic cell structure and demonstrates the benefits of multiple internal bilayer-enclosed compartments...
- Simple surface modification of poly(epsilon-caprolactone) for apatite deposition from simulated body fluidAyako Oyane
Nanotechnology Research Institute, National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology, 2 41 6, Aomi, Koto ku, Tokyo135 0064, Japan
Biomaterials 26:2407-13. 2005..The surface-modified material successfully formed a dense and uniform bone-like surface apatite layer after incubation for 24 h in simulated body fluid with ion concentrations approximately equal to those of human blood plasma...
- Biomimetic materials and scaffolds for myocardial tissue regenerationAntonella Silvestri
Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Politecnico di Torino, Corso Duca degli Abruzzi 24, 10129, Turin, Italy
Macromol Biosci 13:984-1019. 2013..This review focuses on the strategies adopted to design and realize polymeric scaffolds for heart TERM. The implementation of different polymers and the design of scaffold architecture are described...
- A biomimetic robotic jellyfish (Robojelly) actuated by shape memory alloy composite actuatorsAlex Villanueva
Center for Intelligent Material Systems and Structures CIMSS, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA 24061, USA
Bioinspir Biomim 6:036004. 2011..Robojelly was found to consume an average power on the order of 17 W with the actuators not having fully reached a thermal steady state...
- Cholesteric bonded stationary phases for high-performance liquid chromatography: synthesis, physicochemical characterization, and chromatographic behavior of a phospho-cholesteric bonded support. A new way to mimic drug/membrane interactions?Cédric Courtois
CES, Aix Marseille Universite, Institut des Sciences Moleculaires de Marseille, ISM2 CNRS UMR 6263, Centre Saint Jerome, service 512, 13397, Marseille Cedex 20, France
Anal Bioanal Chem 392:1345-54. 2008..Despite its low surface coverage, the material produced exhibits high shape selectivity, possibly due to the organization of the grafted moieties...
- Mineralization of hydrogels for bone regenerationKaterina Gkioni
Department of Biomaterials, Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Center, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Tissue Eng Part B Rev 16:577-85. 2010..This review summarizes the main strategies that have been developed in the past decade to calcify hydrogel matrices and render these hydrogels suitable for applications in bone regeneration...
- Study on chitosan/polycaprolactone blending vascular scaffolds by electrospinningWenjing Yang
State Key Laboratory of Bioelectronics, Southeast University, Nanjing 210096, China
J Biomed Nanotechnol 6:254-9. 2010....
- Artificial niches: biomimetic materials for hematopoietic stem cell cultureCornelia Lee-Thedieck
Karlsruhe Institute of Technology, Institute of Functional Interfaces, Eggenstein Leopoldshafen 76344, Germany
Macromol Rapid Commun 33:1432-8. 2012..of this approach and introduces the essential building blocks (cells, matrix, and scaffolds) of biomimetic materials. Some recent strategies are highlighted and the challenges and possible applications of such materials are ..
- Growth of osteoblast-like cells on biomimetic apatite-coated chitosan scaffoldsI Manjubala
Department of Biomaterials, Max Planck Institute for Colloids and Interfaces, 14424 Potsdam, Germany
J Biomed Mater Res B Appl Biomater 84:7-16. 2008....
- Bio-mimic multichannel microtubes by a facile methodYong Zhao
Center of Molecular Sciences, Institute of Chemistry, The Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing 100080, P R China
J Am Chem Soc 129:764-5. 2007
- Superhydrophobic and superhydrophilic plant surfaces: an inspiration for biomimetic materialsKerstin Koch
Nees Institute for Biodiversity of Plants, Rheinische Friedrich Wilhelms University of Bonn, Meckenheimer Allee 170, 53115 Bonn, Germany
Philos Trans A Math Phys Eng Sci 367:1487-509. 2009..The existing and potential uses of superhydrophobic and superhydrophilic surfaces for self-cleaning, drag reduction during moving in water, capillary liquid transport and other biomimetic materials are shown.
- Design, synthesis, and characterization of a potent, nonpeptide, cell-permeable, bivalent Smac mimetic that concurrently targets both the BIR2 and BIR3 domains in XIAPHaiying Sun
Department of Internal Medicine and Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of Michigan, 1500 E Medical Center Drive, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109, USA
J Am Chem Soc 129:15279-94. 2007..The potency of bivalent SM-164 in binding, functional, and cellular assays is 2-3 orders of magnitude higher than its corresponding monovalent Smac mimetics...
- Fabrication and endothelialization of collagen-blended biodegradable polymer nanofibers: potential vascular graft for blood vessel tissue engineeringWei He
Division of Bioengineering, National University of Singapore, Singapore
Tissue Eng 11:1574-88. 2005..g., growth factors) according to cell types to fabricate tissue-engineering scaffold, particularly blood vessel-engineering scaffold...
- Dental adhesives of the futureFranklin R Tay
Faculty of Dentistry, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong SAR, China
J Adhes Dent 4:91-103. 2002..These features may include the controlled release of noncollagenous proteins to promote remineralization of collagen matrices in sound and caries affected dentin, and growth factors to induce controlled formation of reparative dentin...
- Mesoscopic spatial designs of nano- and microfiber meshes for tissue-engineering matrix and scaffold based on newly devised multilayering and mixing electrospinning techniquesSatoru Kidoaki
Division of Biomedical Engineering, Graduate School of Medicine, Kyushu University, 3 1 1 Maidashi, Higashiku, Fukuoka City, Fukuoka 812 8582, Japan
Biomaterials 26:37-46. 2005....
- Naturally derived myocardial matrix as an injectable scaffold for cardiac tissue engineeringJennifer M Singelyn
Department of Bioengineering, University of California, San Diego, 9500 Gilman Dr, La Jolla, CA 92093 0412, USA
Biomaterials 30:5409-16. 2009..Thus, we have demonstrated the initial feasibility and potential of a naturally derived myocardial matrix as an injectable scaffold for cardiac tissue engineering...
- Control of thiolate nucleophilicity and specificity in zinc metalloproteins by hydrogen bonding: lessons from model compound studiesJennifer N Smith
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, Southwest Texas State University, San Marcos, TX 78666, USA
J Am Chem Soc 125:868-9. 2003....
- Synthesis and biological evaluation of a 5-6-5 imidazole-phenyl-thiazole based alpha-helix mimeticChristopher G Cummings
Department of Chemistry, Yale University, P O Box 20810, New Haven, Connecticut 06520, USA
Org Lett 11:25-8. 2009..An inhibitor of this class has been shown to disrupt the Cdc42/Dbs protein-protein interaction at micromolar concentrations and may be useful in overcoming Cdc42-induced tumor resistance to anticancer therapies...
- Application of a novel design paradigm to generate general nonpeptide combinatorial templates mimicking beta-turns: synthesis of ligands for melanocortin receptorsThomas R Webb
ChemBridge Research Labs, Inc, ChemBridge Corporation, 16981 Via Tazon, San Diego, California 92127, USA
J Comb Chem 9:704-10. 2007..The utility of this technique is further exemplified by several iterative rounds of high-throughput synthesis and screening, which result in new partially optimized nonpeptide agonists for several melanocortin receptors...
- A biomimetic potassium responsive nanochannel: G-quadruplex DNA conformational switching in a synthetic nanoporeXu Hou
National Center for Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, Beijing 100190, People s Republic of China
J Am Chem Soc 131:7800-5. 2009....
- Electrospun nanostructured scaffolds for bone tissue engineeringMolamma P Prabhakaran
Nanoscience and Nanotechnology Initiative, Division of Bioengineering, National University of Singapore, Singapore 117576, Singapore
Acta Biomater 5:2884-93. 2009..The results of our study showed that the biocomposite PLLA/collagen/HA nanofibrous scaffold could be a potential substrate for the proliferation and mineralization of osteoblasts, enhancing bone regeneration...
- A small molecule Smac mimic potentiates TRAIL-mediated cell death of ovarian cancer cellsEleonora Petrucci
Department of Hematology, Oncology and Molecular Medicine, Istituto Superiore di Sanita, Viale Regina Elena 299, 00161 Rome, Italy
Gynecol Oncol 105:481-92. 2007....
- Mimicry of bioactive peptides via non-natural, sequence-specific peptidomimetic oligomersJames A Patch
Department of Chemical Engineering, Northwestern University, Evanston, Illinois 60208, USA
Curr Opin Chem Biol 6:872-7. 2002..Non-natural mimics of HIV-Tat protein, lung surfactant proteins, collagen, and somatostatin are also being developed. Pseudo-tertiary structure in beta-peptides and peptoids may herald the creation of entirely artificial proteins...
- Synthetic non-peptide mimetics of alpha-helicesJessica M Davis
Department of Chemistry, Fairfield University, Fairfield, CT 06824, USA
Chem Soc Rev 36:326-34. 2007..We also evaluate some of the protein-protein interactions that have been or are potential targets for alpha-helix mimetics...
- Glycosidase inhibition: assessing mimicry of the transition stateTracey M Gloster
York Structural Biology Laboratory, Department of Chemistry, University of York, Heslington, York YO10 5YW, UK
Org Biomol Chem 8:305-20. 2010..A number of criteria have been proposed to ascertain which of these inhibitors are true transition state mimics, but these features have only be critically investigated in a very few cases...
- Lessons from seashells: silica mineralization via protein templatingCheryl Wong Po Foo
Department of Chemistry, Tufts University, Medford, Massachusetts 02155, USA
Trends Biotechnol 22:577-85. 2004..Examples of biomimetic approaches to biosilica formation using model peptides to control the formation of structures through manipulation of the processing environment are discussed...
- Peptidomimetic therapeutic agents targeting the protease enzyme of the human immunodeficiency virus and hepatitis C virusYoula S Tsantrizos
Boehringer Ingelheim Canada Ltd, Research and Development, 2100 Cunard Street, Laval, Quebec H7S 2G5, Canada
Acc Chem Res 41:1252-63. 2008..The knowledge gained from these studies will undoubtedly guide the future design of therapeutic agents and further contribute to the success of this field...
- Combination treatment with HER-2 and VEGF peptide mimics induces potent anti-tumor and anti-angiogenic responses in vitro and in vivoKevin C Foy
Department of Microbiology, Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio 43210, USA
J Biol Chem 286:13626-37. 2011..Our study shows that combination treatment with HER-2 and VEGF peptide mimics provides greater efficacy than individual treatments...
- The role of calcium gluconate in electrochemical activation of titanium for biomimetic coating of calcium phosphateS M A Shibli
Department of Chemistry, University of Kerala, Kariavattom Campus, Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala 695 581, India
J Biomed Mater Res A 87:994-1002. 2008..5 times higher concentration of Ca. Biomimetic growth was also improved by the addition of calcium gluconate in the SBF solution...
- Synthesis of pyridazine-based scaffolds as alpha-helix mimeticsAlessandro Volonterio
The Skaggs Institute for Chemical Biology and Department of Chemistry, The Scripps Research Institute MB 26, 10550 North Torrey Pines Road, La Jolla, California 92037, USA
Org Lett 9:3733-6. 2007..The versatility of the synthesis makes it suitable for the preparation of small libraries of low molecular weight alpha-helix mimetics that could be targeted to certain protein/protein interactions...
- Biomimetic composite coating on rapid prototyped scaffolds for bone tissue engineeringM Tarik Arafat
Department of Mechanical Engineering, National University of Singapore, Singapore 117576, Singapore
Acta Biomater 7:809-20. 2011..These results demonstrate that CHA-gelatin composite-coated rapid prototyped PCL/TCP scaffolds are promising for bone tissue engineering...
- Smac mimetic increases chemotherapy response and improves survival in mice with pancreatic cancerSean P Dineen
Division of Surgical Oncology, Department of Surgery, University of Texas Southwestern Medical School, Dallas, TX, USA
Cancer Res 70:2852-61. 2010..The continued development of JP1201 and other strategies designed to enhance therapy-induced apoptosis in pancreatic cancer is warranted...
- Design, synthesis, and biological activity of a potent Smac mimetic that sensitizes cancer cells to apoptosis by antagonizing IAPsKerry Zobel
Department of Protein Engineering, Genentech, Inc, South San Francisco, California 94080, USA
ACS Chem Biol 1:525-33. 2006..The compounds are further demonstrated to activate caspase-3 and -7, to reduce cell viability in assays using MDA-MB-231 breast cancer cells and A2058 melanoma cells, and to enhance doxorubicin-induced apoptosis in MDA-MB-231 cells...
- Display of a peptide mimotope on a crystalline bacterial cell surface layer (S-layer) lattice for diagnosis of Epstein-Barr virus infectionHelga Tschiggerl
Center for NanoBiotechnology, University of Natural Resources and Applied Life Sciences, Gregor Mendel Strasse 33, A 1180 Vienna, Austria
Bioconjug Chem 19:860-5. 2008..This study shows the potential of S-layer fusion proteins as a matrix for site-directed immobilization of small ligands in solid-phase immunoassays using EBV diagnostics as a model system...
- Beta-hairpin peptidomimetics: design, structures and biological activitiesJohn A Robinson
Department of Chemistry, University of Zurich, Winterthurerstrasse 190, 8057 Zurich, Switzerland
Acc Chem Res 41:1278-88. 2008..These mimetics represent still a relatively new family of RNA-binding molecules, but clearly one with potential for development into novel antiviral agents...
- Self-oscillating gel as novel biomimetic materialsRyo Yoshida
Department of Materials Engineering, Graduate School of Engineering, The University of Tokyo, 7 3 1 Hongo, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo 113 8656, Japan
J Control Release 140:186-93. 2009..In this paper, our recent studies on the self-oscillating polymer gels and the design of functional material systems using the polymer are summarized...
- Biomimetic helical rosette nanotubes and nanocrystalline hydroxyapatite coatings on titanium for improving orthopedic implantsLijie Zhang
Division of Engineering, Brown University, Providence, RI 02912, USA
Int J Nanomedicine 3:323-33. 2008..In this manner, this study demonstrated for the first time that biomimetic HRN/nanocrystalline HA coatings on titanium were cytocompatible for osteoblasts and, thus, should be further studied for improving orthopedic implants...
- Interaction of a cyclic, bivalent smac mimetic with the x-linked inhibitor of apoptosis proteinZaneta Nikolovska-Coleska
Department of Internal Medicine, Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of Michigan, 1500 East Medical Center Drive, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109, USA
Biochemistry 47:9811-24. 2008....
- Biomimetic nanocomposites for bone graft applicationsCasey K Chan
Nanoscience and Nanotechnology Initiative NUSNNI, Division of Bioengineering, Faculty of Engineering, National University of Singapore, Singapore
Nanomedicine (Lond) 1:177-88. 2006..This review reports the impact of biomimetically derived nanocomposite biomaterials for use in bone applications and provides possible suggestions for future research and development...
- Biomimetic nanostructures: creating a high-affinity zinc-binding site in a folded nonbiological polymerByoung Chul Lee
Biological Nanostructures Facility, The Molecular Foundry, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, 1 Cyclotron Road, Berkeley, California 94720, USA
J Am Chem Soc 130:8847-55. 2008..Our work is a significant step toward generating biomimetic nanostructures with enzyme-like functions...
- Transition-state mimicry by glycosidase inhibitors: a critical kinetic analysisJacqueline Wicki
Department of Chemistry, University of British Columbia, 2036 Main Mall, Vancouver, Canada V6T 1Z1
J Am Chem Soc 129:4530-1. 2007
- Evaluation of EUK-189, a synthetic superoxide dismutase/catalase mimetic as a radiation countermeasureVenkataraman Srinivasan
Radiation Countermeasures Program, Armed Forces Radiobiology Research Institute, Bethesda, Maryland Wisconsin Avenue, Bethesda, MD 20889 5603, USA
Immunopharmacol Immunotoxicol 30:271-90. 2008..EUK-189 did not stimulate production of any cytokine or chemokine tested...
- Co-electrospun poly(lactide-co-glycolide), gelatin, and elastin blends for tissue engineering scaffoldsMengyan Li
School of Biomedical Engineering, Science, and Health Systems, Drexel University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
J Biomed Mater Res A 79:963-73. 2006..Our results suggest that fibrous scaffolds made of PGE and similar biomimetic blends of natural and synthetic polymers may be useful for engineering soft tissues, such as heart, lung, and blood vessels...
- Mussel adhesive protein mimetic polymers for the preparation of nonfouling surfacesJeffrey L Dalsin
Biomedical Engineering Department and Institute for Bioengineering and Nanoscience in Advanced Medicine, Northwestern University, Evanston, Illinois 60208, USA
J Am Chem Soc 125:4253-8. 2003....
- Effect of bone extracellular matrix synthesized in vitro on the osteoblastic differentiation of marrow stromal cellsNéha Datta
Department of Bioengineering, Rice University, MS 142, P O Box 1892, Houston, TX 77251 1892, USA
Biomaterials 26:971-7. 2005..2 (+/- 13.6) microg/construct for the Ti/ECM/MSC constructs cultured without any osteogenic supplements after 16 days. These results indicate that bone-like ECM synthesized in vitro can enhance the osteoblastic differentiation of MSCs...
- Zeolite framework stabilized copper complex inspired by the 2-His-1-carboxylate facial triad motif yielding oxidation catalystsKaisa Kervinen
Department of Inorganic Chemistry and Catalysis, Utrecht University, Debye Institute, Sorbonnelaan 16, 3584 CA Utrecht, The Netherlands
J Am Chem Soc 128:3208-17. 2006..It was therefore found that encapsulation in zeolite offers a route to stabilize a 5-fold-coordinated copper complex with novel catalytic properties. This 1:1 Cu(MIm2Pr) complex is not formed in solution...
- Self-assembly of the 2-His-1-carboxylate facial triad in mononuclear iron(II) and zinc(II) models of metalloenzyme active sitesSeth J Friese
Department of Chemistry and Center for Metals in Biocatalysis, University of Minnesota, 207 Pleasant Street SE, Minneapolis, Minnesota 55455, USA
Inorg Chem 45:8003-5. 2006..In addition, by virtue of the flexibility of the ligands used, the geometries and coordination environments of the complexes display carboxylate binding mode differences such as those seen in the enzymes...
- Helical rosette nanotubes: a biomimetic coating for orthopedics?Ai Lin Chun
Weldon School of Biomedical Engineering, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN 47907 2022, USA
Biomaterials 26:7304-9. 2005....
- Adhesion between biodegradable polymers and hydroxyapatite: Relevance to synthetic bone-like materials and tissue engineering scaffoldsR E Neuendorf
Department of Materials Science and Engineering, University of California, Berkeley, CA 94720, USA
Acta Biomater 4:1288-96. 2008..These results cast doubt on the use of biodegradable polymers/ceramic composites for load-bearing synthetic bone-like materials, as desired optimal mechanical properties are unlikely to be met in realistic physiological environments...
- Extended interaction of beta1 integrin subunit-deficient cells (GD25) with surfaces modified with fibronectin-derived peptides: Culture optimization, adhesion and cytokine panel studiesHeather Waldeck
Department of Biomedical Engineering, College of Engineering, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI 53705, USA
Acta Biomater 4:1172-86. 2008..e. no difference in adhesion or IL-1beta release in the presence of different sIPN surfaces) when the function of the beta1 subunit was blocked in cell adhesion and signaling in the presence of biomaterials...
- Porcine bladder acellular matrix (ACM): protein expression, mechanical propertiesWalid A Farhat
Department of Surgery, Division of Urology, University of Toronto and The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, ON M5G 1X8, Canada
Biomed Mater 3:025015. 2008....
- Core-like particles of an enveloped animal virus can self-assemble efficiently on artificial templatesNancy L Goicochea
Department of Chemistry, Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana 47405, USA
Nano Lett 7:2281-90. 2007..Here we report progress made on the first step: the efficient self-assembly of the alphavirus capsid around a functionalized nanoparticle core...
- Osteogenic differentiation of dura mater stem cells cultured in vitro on three-dimensional porous scaffolds of poly(epsilon-caprolactone) fabricated via co-extrusion and gas foamingC E Petrie Aronin
Department of Biomedical Engineering, University of Virginia, Box 800759, Health System, Charlottesville, VA 22908, USA
Acta Biomater 4:1187-97. 2008..However, these studies show that polycaprolactone (PCL) scaffolds alone, without the addition of other co-polymers or ceramics, support long-term attachment and mineralization of DSCs throughout the entire porous scaffold...
- Enhancement of the adhesion of fibroblasts by peptide containing an Arg-Gly-Asp sequence with poly(ethylene glycol) into a thermo-reversible hydrogel as a synthetic extracellular matrixKeun Hong Park
College of Medicine, Pochon CHA University, Cell and Gene Therapy Research Institute 605, Yeoksam 1 dong, Kangnam Gu, Seoul, 135 081, Korea
Biotechnol Lett 27:227-31. 2005..When the PEG spacer arms, which were immobilized by a peptide linkage, had been integrated into the hydrogel, the conjugation of RGD improved cell spreading by 600% in a 10-day trial...
- A synthetic nanofibrillar matrix promotes in vivo-like organization and morphogenesis for cells in cultureMelvin Schindler
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI 48824, USA
Biomaterials 26:5624-31. 2005..Nanofiber-based synthetic matrices could have considerable value for applications in tissue engineering, cell-based therapies, and studies of cell/tissue function and pathology...
- NEW BIOMEDICAL INTERFACE MATERIALSRoger Marchant; Fiscal Year: 2007..matrix' (ECM), that provide guidance in biomimetic designs and focus specific research on: (1) Biomimetic materials that mimic the non-adhesive properties and anticoagulant function of a glycocalyx, designed to improve ..
- 3-D BIOMIMETIC SCAFFOLDS FOR BONE TISSUE ENGINEERINGDavid Kohn; Fiscal Year: 2007..In the first cycle of this grant, we developed biomimetic materials based on the self-assembly of biological minerals onto organic templates...
- Thromboresistant Polymers via Catalytic Generation of NOMark E Meyerhoff; Fiscal Year: 2012..We anticipate that the studies described in this application will lead to a variety of novel biomimetic materials that will have immediate applications for preparing/coating a host of medical implants to reduce the risk ..
- Development of a Photoactivated Respiratory Support DeviceRichard Gilbert; Fiscal Year: 2009..proposed research is to apply these physical principals to create an artificial system, composed of durable biomimetic materials, designed to replicate normal respiratory function...
- INTRINSICALLY DISORDERED PROTEINS IN BIOMINERALIZATIONJANET M OLDAK; Fiscal Year: 2013..of extracellular matrix of enamel and dentin will prepare the ground for the fabrication and development of biomimetic materials when synthetic peptides can be used to control the processes of crystal nucleation and growth...
- Mechanisms of Cell/Surface InteractionBarbara D Boyan; Fiscal Year: 2013..responses and to study the underlying mechanisms involved, with the long-term goal of creating rational biomimetic materials that facilitate normal tissue regeneration and repair...
- Towards a synthetic basement membrane for the corneal epitheliumPaul F Nealey; Fiscal Year: 2010..This proposal focuses on the interactions of corneal epithelial cells with biomimetic materials designed for integration into an implantable device...
- Development of Polydepsipeptides as Biomimetic MaterialsLaura J Suggs; Fiscal Year: 2012..This type of bottom-up approach may serve as a model for the design and optimization of biomaterials with relevant bioactivity for use in cardiac therapy. ..
- NEW BIOMEDICAL INTERFACE MATERIALSRoger Marchant; Fiscal Year: 2002..The objectives are to develop new biomimetic materials based on the central hypothesis that non-covalent physical forces created by a cell's glycocalyx provides ..
- Microthread arrays for long-term and high fidelity neural interfacesDaryl R Kipke; Fiscal Year: 2010..new biologically inspired paradigms for creating long-lasting, high-fidelity neural interfaces with biomimetic materials. This project will impact both the neuroscience research community, and clinical communities (neurosurgeons,..
- Biomimetic Coatings for Small Diameter Vascular GraftsShuwu Wang; Fiscal Year: 2004..The proposed biomimetic materials are designed to undergo surface-induced self-assembly on the vascular graft biomaterials, and consist of ..
- Biomaterials for Orbit ReconstructionRAJENDRA BHATNAGAR; Fiscal Year: 2001DESCRIPTION (Verbatim from Applicant): We will develop biomimetic materials for repair and orthoplasty of the orbit and surrounding bony structures...
- INFECTION MECHANISMS WITH CARDIOVASCULAR PROSTHESESJames Anderson; Fiscal Year: 2001..interactions which alter leukocyte function and microbial killing, 5] design, prepare and characterize biomimetic materials with bacteria-resistant properties that will undergo surface-induced assembly on cardiovascular ..
- Self-Assembled Bis-PNA Monomers As New BiomaterialsSTUART ROWAN; Fiscal Year: 2004..on the development of a new class of biomaterials designed to improve blood and tissue biocompatibility- biomimetic materials based on novel self-assembling monomers with peptide nucleic acid (PNA) units attached to their termini...
- De Novo Design of Lung Surfactant Protein B MimicsTICORA JONES; Fiscal Year: 2003..As this last option provides room for non-protein treatments I plan to synthesize and characterize oligomeric and polymeric biomimetic materials that will serve as substitutes for lung surfactant protein SP-B.
- Switchable Surfaces with Nano-Scale Design for Metabolome AnalysisJoerg Lahann; Fiscal Year: 2006DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): In spite of the great success of biomimetic materials, there are still fundamental limitations to the concept; most importantly their intrinsically static character...
- Biomimetic Studies of NO-binding Respiratory Chain HemesJAMES COLLMAN; Fiscal Year: 2008..An emphasis will be placed on kinetic and mechanistic studies to elucidate the putitive reaction pathways of CcO and NOR. ..
- Functional active-site models of cytochrome c oxidaseJAMES COLLMAN; Fiscal Year: 2009..The role that the copper ion (CuB) and a phenolic group, in the amino acid tyrosine (Tyr244) play in the catalytic function of CcO are of particular interest. ..
- Botanicals for Treatment of DepressionGREGORY THATCHER; Fiscal Year: 2006..A long term goal of the project, is the development of an in vitro screen for identifying antidepressant botanicals. ..
- Nitric oxide mimetic NSAIDs for treatment of Alzheimer's DiseaseGREGORY THATCHER; Fiscal Year: 2007..This project will yield a drug candidate for which amyloid load will be measured in transgenic models in subsequent research, providing the impetus for moving this drug candidate from discovery to the clinic. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Thiol-Reactive Crosslinkers for BiomaterialsGlenn Prestwich; Fiscal Year: 2004..Fourth, these new materials will be evaluated for cytocompatibility and cell growth in vitro with murine fibroblasts. Finally, selected materials will be seeded with fibroblasts and injected into nude mice for in vivo tissue generation. ..
- Crosslinkable Hydrogels for Tympanic Membrane RepairGlenn Prestwich; Fiscal Year: 2004..Third, we will evaluate the biocompability and otocompability of each gel in vivo by evaluating recovery of auditory function and middle ear histology. ..
- Development of a calcium-phosphate nanocomplex fluoride-based mouthrinseRobert Karlinsey; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Phosphoinositide and Inositol Polyphosphate ProbesGlenn Prestwich; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Synthesis of Macrolides, Steroids, Cyclopentanoids, etc.BARRY TROST; Fiscal Year: 2009..These new synthetic methods apply to many structural types beyond those illustrated and constitutes a significant to gain access to complex molecular targets more easily. ..
- PH SENSITIVE COMPLEX HYDROGEL FOR PROTEIN DRUG RELEASENIKOLAOS PEPPAS; Fiscal Year: 2001..Finally, the insulin delivery efficacy of these novel devices will be tested using in vivo experiments. ..
- SQUALENE AND OXIDOSQUALENE CYCLASESGlenn Prestwich; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- Biomimetic Synthesis of an Enamel-Like MaterialStefan Habelitz; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- SYNTHESIS OF ANTICANCER AGENTSK C Nicolaou; Fiscal Year: 2010..abstract_text> ..
- Interaction between host cells and multicomponent material matrixWEIYUAN KAO; Fiscal Year: 2009..e., human blood-derived macrophages, dermal fibroblasts, and keratinocytes) using monoculture and binary cell culture systems. (3) To ascertain IPN efficacy in vivo in modulating the host reaction and healing. ..
- SYNTHESIS OF CANNABINOIDS, ANALOGUES AND METABOLITESJohn Huffman; Fiscal Year: 2009..There a possibility that these metabolites may be contributing to the enhanced potency of cannabinoids with a dimethylheptyl side chain. ..
- Online Monitoring and Control of Functional Cartilage Regeneration in HydrogelsKristi Anseth; Fiscal Year: 2009..We will incorporate feedback control using a heuristic control loop to modify the biochemical and mechanical environment in order to optimize ECM production. ..
- Chemical Inhibitors of the Proteasomal ATPasesThomas J Kodadek; Fiscal Year: 2010..Future experiments would also include testing their activity in various mouse models of cancer. ..
- TOTAL SYNTHESIS OF AZADIRACHTINK Nicolaou; Fiscal Year: 2008..The proposed work is expected to impact the general areas of pharmaceutical and agricultural research, and infectious diseases in particular, through discoveries in synthetic organic chemistry and chemical biology. ..
- Oligopyrrole-based Anion Binding AgentsJonathan L Sessler; Fiscal Year: 2010..abstract_text> ..
- 2008 Biointerface Science Gordon Research ConferencePHILLIP MESSERSMITH; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Saccharide-Peptide Hybrid Copolymers for Tissue EngineeringZhibin Guan; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- ACTION AND FUNCTION OF MMP-20 DURING ENAMEL FORMATIONJANET OLDAK; Fiscal Year: 2008..dental enamel formation and is one of the critical steps towards the development of enamel-inspired biomimetic materials. Our general hypothesis is that MMP-20 cleaves specific domains: a) within amelogenin to alter the assembly ..
- Water-Soluble and Metabolically Stable Calpain Inhibitors as CardioprotectantsISAAC DONKOR; Fiscal Year: 2008..Furthermore, the proposed studies will provide mechanistic insight into the mode of action of calpain inhibitors as cardioprotectants. ..
- Safety & effectiveness of HA hydrogels in immortalized vocal fold fibroblast cellSusan Thibeault; Fiscal Year: 2007..Efforts from this R21 will provide imminent directions for an R01 focusing on human clinical trials for treatment of ECM disorders. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Workshop: Self-assembly of Peptides and ProteinsShuguang Zhang; Fiscal Year: 2003..Hybrid subjects are often astonishingly fertile, whereas if a scientific discipline remains too pure it usually wilts." ..
- NanobioReactor for monitoring small cell populationsAles Prokop; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- Revision THA Impaction Grafts:Effects of Bone FusionAnneliese Heiner; Fiscal Year: 2003..Successful conclusion of the proposed research will provide biomechanical data that will assist in the optimization of the impaction grafting process, thus improving the clinical success rate of this evolving procedure. ..
- BASIC AND APPLIED STUDIES OF PEPTIDE-PEPTIDE COMPLEXESThomas Kodadek; Fiscal Year: 2003..These studies will hopefully lead to a better understanding of how one would design peptide receptors de novo that are able to function in aqueous solution. ..
- Estrogen: Chrodroprotective or Destructive?Sally Frenkel; Fiscal Year: 2002..The inconclusive and contradictory data from human and animal studies render the proposed studies highly significant. ..
- PRESERVATION OF HDL FUNCTION DURING EARLY ATHEROGENESISJOHN BIELICKI; Fiscal Year: 2002..Moreover, the research will uncover novel mechanisms for preserving HDL/LCAT function that can be utilized therapeutically to fight the onset of cardiovascular disease. ..
- VASCULAR SMOOTH MUSCLE GROWTH AND FIBRONECTIN MATRIXGODFREY GETZ; Fiscal Year: 2002..By understanding the role of the ECM in pathological processes such as restenosis and atherosclerosis we may begin to design more effective treatments for these conditions. ..
- BION Treatment of Neuromuscular DysfunctionGerald Loeb; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..
- PHARMACOLOGY OF BOVINE PARATHYROID CA++ RECEPTORSEdward M Brown; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- SYNTHESIS OF TRIGGERABLE FUSOGENS FOR MEMBRANE BILAYERSDavid Thompson; Fiscal Year: 2001..g., peptides, antisense oligonucleotides, and plasmids). ..
- ENHANCED DURABILITY OF BIOPROSTHETIC HEART VALVESMichael Sacks; Fiscal Year: 2004..Determine how chemical treatment alters cuspal layer micromechanics. 2. Quantify PBHV cuspal deformation during the cardiac cycle. 3. Determine how long-term cyclic fatigue alters PBHV later structure and mechanical properties. ..
- ATHEROSCLEROSIS PREVENTION IN MICE BY MUTANT APO A-1GODFREY GETZ; Fiscal Year: 2001....
- Bioinspired Synthesis of In-Situ Gelling BiomaterialsPHILLIP MESSERSMITH; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Retroviral Gene Transfer to Epidermal Stem CellsSTELIOS ANDREADIS; Fiscal Year: 2007..Reaching these goals will have significant impact on the potential of genetically modified cells to treat short or long-term disease states. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- AMELOGENIN PROCESSING AND APATITE CRYSTAL GROWTHJANET OLDAK; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- 2005 Supramolecules and Assemblies, Chemistry of Gordon ConferenceDavid Thompson; Fiscal Year: 2005..This proposal requests funds to supplement travel costs associated with this meeting. ..
- Catalytic DNA Biosensor for Toxic Metal IonsYi Lu; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- DEVELOPMENT OF MORE EFFICIENT CHIRAL STATIONARY PHASESTingyu Li; Fiscal Year: 2002..The chemistry associated with the characterization of chiral stationary phases on silica gel will also be studied. ..
- ISEA 2004 ConferenceJunfeng Zhang; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Fine Needle Aspiration of Benign Vocal Fold LesionsSusan Thibeault; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Biomimetic Nano ScaffoldsPeter Ma; Fiscal Year: 2004..This knowledge will enable us to develop a predictable biomimetic scaffold for in vivo application and will be the basis for our planned R01 investigation. ..
- CA2+ RECEPTOR, PTHRP & MALIGNANCY-INDUCED OSTEOLYSISEdward M Brown; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Lymphotoxin/LIGHT in Lipoprotein Metabolism and AtherosclerosisGODFREY GETZ; Fiscal Year: 2009..These studies will further our understanding of how the immune system influences these processes and may point to potential sites for therapeutic intervention. ..