- Cancer risks in hairdressers: assessment of carcinogenicity of hair dyes and gels
Department of Biosciences at Novum, Karolinska Institute, Huddinge, Sweden
Int J Cancer 105:108-12. 2003
..Bladder cancer was not increased among hairdressers in the recent decades and is therefore not likely to be associated with modern hair dyes...
- Use of indoor tanning sunlamps by US youth, ages 11-18 years, and by their parent or guardian caregivers: prevalence and correlates
Vilma E Cokkinides
Department of Epidemiology and Surveillance Research and Cancer Control, American Cancer Society, Atlanta, Georgia 30329, USA
Pediatrics 109:1124-30. 2002
..Population-based data on the prevalence and correlates of this activity is important in the evaluation of potential public health interventions for skin cancer prevention...
- Occupational asthma and occupational rhinitis in hairdressers
Allergy and Immunology Unit, Fondazione Salvatore Maugeri, Institute of Research and Care, Scientific Institute of Pavia, Italy
Chest 128:3590-8. 2005
..Hairdressers are at risk for occupational respiratory diseases, but the risk factors, causal agents, and underlying mechanisms are not completely defined...
- The clinical management and outcome of nail salon-acquired Mycobacterium fortuitum skin infection
Kevin L Winthrop
Epidemic Intelligence Service, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention at the California Department of Health Services, Berkeley, California 94704, USA
Clin Infect Dis 38:38-44. 2004
..Early administration of therapy was associated with shorter duration of disease only in persons with multiple boils (P<.01). One untreated, healthy patient had lymphatic disease dissemination...
- Sunbed use in German adults: risk awareness does not correlate with behaviour
Mannheim Institute of Public Health, Social and Preventive Medicine, Heidelberg University, Mannheim Medical Faculty, Mannheim, Germany
Acta Derm Venereol 89:470-5. 2009
..The poor quality of services and advice provided by many solariums was alarming. It can be concluded that appropriate measures to change tanning habits need to be identified. Legal regulations could be one option...
- Promotion of frequent tanning sessions by indoor tanning facilities: two studies
Harry T Kwon
Graduate School of Public Health, San Diego State University, CA 92182, USA
J Am Acad Dermatol 46:700-5. 2002
..Indoor tanning may increase the risk of melanoma and other health problems. Frequent users of indoor tanning facilities may be at particularly high risk...
- Density of indoor tanning facilities in 116 large U.S. cities
Katherine D Hoerster
Joint Doctoral Program in Clinical Psychology, San Diego State University University of California San Diego, San Diego, California, USA
Am J Prev Med 36:243-6. 2009
..Because the availability of commercial indoor tanning facilities may influence use, data are needed on the number and density of such facilities...
- Indoor ultraviolet tanning and skin cancer: health risks and opportunities
Joshua M Schulman
Department of Dermatology, Cutaneous Biology Research Center, and Melanoma Program, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Curr Opin Oncol 21:144-9. 2009
..The roles of UV radiation exposure and indoor tanning behaviors on skin cancer risk are explored here...
- Indoor tanning and risk of melanoma: a case-control study in a highly exposed population
Division of Epidemiology and Community Health, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN 55454, USA
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 19:1557-68. 2010
..A population-based case-control study was conducted to address these limitations...
- Prevalence and correlates of indoor tanning among US adults
Carolyn J Heckman
Division of Population Science, Fox Chase Cancer Center, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
J Am Acad Dermatol 58:769-80. 2008
..Little is known about the prevalence of indoor tanning among the US general adult population...
- A population-based survey on tanning bed use in Germany
Franziska U Börner
Institute of Neurosciences and Medicine, INM 8 Ethics in the Neurosciences, Forschungszentrum Julich, 52425 Julich, Germany
BMC Dermatol 9:6. 2009
..Because of the potential negative impact of artificial tanning on public health, this study was to investigate tanning bed use behaviour, UV related risk perception and beliefs about tanning in the German population...
- Incidence of asthma in female Swedish hairdressers
Department of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, Lund University Hospital, SE 221 85 Lund, Sweden
Occup Environ Med 59:119-23. 2002
..To investigate the risk of asthma in hairdressers...
- A quantitative estimate of melanoma mortality from ultraviolet A sunbed use in the U.K
B L Diffey
Regional Medical Physics Department, Newcastle General Hospital, Newcastle upon Tyne NE4 6BE, UK
Br J Dermatol 149:578-81. 2003
..Concern has been expressed for many years in the medical and regulatory literature about the adverse health effects, especially melanoma, from the use of sunbeds for cosmetic tanning...
- Patterns of indoor tanning use: implications for clinical interventions
Department of Public Health, PO Box 70674, East Tennessee State University, Johnson City, TN 37614, USA
Arch Dermatol 143:1530-5. 2007
..To identify indoor tanning patterns with relevance for health screening and prevention efforts...
- A case for informed consent? Indoor UV tanning facility operator's provision of health risks information (United States)
Lauren F Heilig
Department of Dermatology, VA Medical Center, Denver, CO 80220, USA
Cancer Causes Control 16:557-60. 2005
..This study describes consumer health risks information provided by indoor UV tanning facility operators in four states (Colorado, Illinois, Texas, and Wisconsin) with varying operator training, regulations, enforcement and penalties...
- Enforcement of state indoor tanning laws in the United States
Joni A Mayer
Graduate School of Public Health, San Diego State University, 9245 Sky Park Ct, Ste 220, San Diego, CA 92123, USA
Prev Chronic Dis 5:A125. 2008
..To our knowledge, whether these state laws are actually enforced has not been evaluated previously in all 28 states. Therefore, we interviewed key informants in these states to assess enforcement practices...
- Early markers of airways inflammation and occupational asthma: rationale, study design and follow-up rates among bakery, pastry and hairdressing apprentices
Inserm U954, School of Medicine, Vandoeuvre les Nancy, France
BMC Public Health 9:113. 2009
..Other non-invasive and potentially more useful tests include the forced oscillation technique, measurement of fraction exhaled nitric oxide, and eosinophils count in nasal lavage fluid...
- Compliance with federal and state legislation by indoor tanning facilities in San Diego
C A Culley
Graduate School of Public Health, San Diego State University, CA, USA
J Am Acad Dermatol 44:53-60. 2001
..CONCLUSION: The investigators recommend instituting mandatory, comprehensive training for operators, as well as systematic compliance monitoring with enforcement of penalties for noncompliance...
- Compliance with youth access regulations for indoor UV tanning
Eric J Hester
Department of Dermatology, University of Colorado at Denver and Health Sciences Center, USA
Arch Dermatol 141:959-62. 2005
..To describe youth access to indoor UV tanning and youth discount pricing incentives in 4 states with different age restrictions: Colorado (no age restrictions), Texas (age 13 years), Illinois (age 14 years), and Wisconsin (age 16 years)...
- Indoor tanning by adolescents: prevalence, practices and policies
Division of Epidemiology, University of Minnesota, 1300 South 2nd Street, 300 Minneapolis, MN 55454, USA
Eur J Cancer 41:20-7. 2005
..Harm reduction policies, such as eye protection, that reduce risk for adolescents who choose to tan indoors, are also important...
- Indoor UV tanning operator opinion regarding youth access: an electronic survey
Eric J Hester
Department of Dermatology, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, Colorado 80262, USA
J Am Acad Dermatol 51:814-6. 2004
..Adolescents frequently use indoor tanning facilities, but little is known about tanning facility operator opinions regarding this use. Objective To assess indoor tanning operator attitudes and stated practices regarding youth access...
- Airborne exposure to chemical substances in hairdresser salons
Public Health Department, University of Alicante, Ap de Correos, 99 03080 Alicante, Spain
Environ Monit Assess 153:83-93. 2009
..Hairdressers were exposed to low air levels of a large number of chemical substances mostly related to work related to hair dying. There were no differences between exposure levels in salons in central and suburban areas...
- UV tanning advertisements in high school newspapers
Department of Dermatology, University of Colorado at Denver Health Sciences Center, Aurora, USA
Arch Dermatol 142:460-2. 2006
..To examine the increasing use of UV tanning parlors by adolescents, despite the World Health Organization recommendation that no one under the age of 18 years use UV tanning devices...
- Results from a community-based occupational health survey of Vietnamese-American nail salon workers
Department of Work Environment, University of Massachusetts Lowell, Kitson 200H, 1 University Ave, Lowell, MA 01854, USA
J Immigr Minor Health 10:353-61. 2008
..Work-related health effects may be common in nail salon work. Chemical and musculoskeletal hazards should be reduced through product and equipment redesign...
- The influence of parents and peers on adolescent indoor tanning behavior: findings from a multi-city sample
Katherine D Hoerster
San Diego State University University of California, San Diego Joint Doctoral Program in Clinical Psychology, San Diego, California, USA
J Am Acad Dermatol 57:990-7. 2007
..Indoor tanning is common among adolescents...
- Quantitative risk assessment of sunbeds: impact of new high power lamps
The Photobiology Unit, University of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital and Medical School, Dundee DD1 9SY, UK
Br J Dermatol 157:350-6. 2007
..Since then, there have been technological developments leading to new 'fast-tan' sunlamps which have become increasingly popular, along with unmanned sun parlours. In addition, new British and European sunbed standards have been set...
- Measurement of selected indoor physical environmental factors in hairdresser salons in a Turkish City
E D Evci
Department of Public Health, Adnan Menderes University, School of Medicine, Aydin 09100, Turkey
Environ Monit Assess 134:471-7. 2007
..Also some health problems which could be related with the occupational factors are evaluated...
- Indoor tanning attitudes and practices of US dermatologists compared with other medical specialists
Kathryn R Johnson
Department of Dermatology, University of Colorado at Denver and Health Sciences Center, USA
Arch Dermatol 142:465-70. 2006
..To compare the indoor tanning attitudes and practices of dermatologists with physicians in other medical specialties (internal medicine, pediatrics, and family medicine) commonly providing sun safety counseling to patients...
- Frequent tanning bed use, weight concerns, and other health risk behaviors in adolescent females (United States)
David L O'Riordan
Prevention and Control Program, Cancer Research Center of Hawai i, Honolulu, HI, USA
Cancer Causes Control 17:679-86. 2006
..To examine the association between tanning bed use and weight concerns, health risk behaviors, and peer influence...
- Predictors of tanning salon use: behavioral alternatives for enhancing appearance, relaxing and socializing
Department of Psychology, University at Albany, State University of New York, Albany, NY 12222, USA
J Health Psychol 11:511-8. 2006
..Findings suggest that interventions for reducing skin cancer risk should focus not only on decreasing favorable attitudes toward tanning, but also on increasing favorable attitudes toward healthier alternatives to tanning salon use...
- Sunbathing vs. indoor tanning: a realistic perspective
Robert M Sayre
Photodermatol Photoimmunol Photomed 19:105-7. 2003
- Sunbed use among Swedish adolescents in the 1990s: a decline with an unchanged relationship to health risk behaviors
Department of Public Health Sciences, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Scand J Public Health 31:233-7. 2003
..Sunbed use is common among adolescents, and may give an increment to UV exposure and an overall skin cancer risk comparable to that of the sun. Sunbed use was studied among 15- to 19-year-old adolescents in Stockholm County...
- Teenagers and artificial tanning
Sophie J Balk
Children s Hospital at Montefiore, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, 1621 Eastchester Road, Bronx, NY 10461, USA
Pediatrics 121:1040-2. 2008
- Indoor tanning use among adolescents in the US, 1998 to 2004
Department of Epidemiology and Surveillance Research, American Cancer Society, Atlanta, Georgia 30303 1002, USA
Cancer 115:190-8. 2009
- Measuring the stringency of states' indoor tanning regulations: instrument development and outcomes
Susan I Woodruff
Graduate School of Public Health, San Diego State University, CA 92123, USA
J Am Acad Dermatol 56:774-80. 2007
..The instrument was then used to rate the stringency of state laws...
- Assessment of occupational genotoxic risk among Brazilian hairdressers
Maíra Precivalle Galiotte
Department of Legal Medicine, Ethics and Occupational Health, Sao Paulo University Medical School, Sao Paulo, SP, CEP 05405 000, Brazil
Ann Occup Hyg 52:645-51. 2008
..To evaluate the genotoxic risk to hairdressers exposed daily to chemical substances such as hair dyes, waving and straightening preparations and manicurists' products by the Comet assay test (single-cell gel electrophoresis)...
- Risk factors for asthma among cosmetology professionals in Colorado
Department of Preventive Medicine and Biometrics, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, Colorado, USA
J Occup Environ Med 48:1062-9. 2006
..After receiving several reports of occupational asthma among cosmetology professionals, we studied the prevalence, work-attributable risk, and tasks associated with asthma in this industry...
- Youth access to artificial UV radiation exposure: practices of 3647 US indoor tanning facilities
Latrice C Pichon
Graduate School of Public Health, 9245 Sky Park Ct, Ste 220, San Diego, CA 92123, USA
Arch Dermatol 145:997-1002. 2009
..To assess indoor tanning facility practices in a sample of facilities in 116 cities representing all 50 states...
- Use of sunscreen, sunburning rates, and tanning bed use among more than 10 000 US children and adolescents
Alan C Geller
Department of Dermatology, School of Medicine, Cancer Prevention and Control Center, Boston University, Boston, Massachusetts 02118, USA
Pediatrics 109:1009-14. 2002
- 2005: A banner year for new US youth access tanning restrictions
Shayla O Francis
Arch Dermatol 141:524-5. 2005
- Indoor tanning facility density in eighty U.S. cities
Richard C Palmer
Graduate School of Public Health, San Diego State University, CA 92183 4162, USA
J Community Health 27:191-202. 2002
..S. urban-dwellers. Cities having the higher density profile may be logical targets for interventions promoting less or safer use of these facilities...
- The indoor UV tanning industry: a review of skin cancer risk, health benefit claims, and regulation
Jody A Levine
Department of Dermatology, State University New York Downstate Medical Center, New York 11203, USA
J Am Acad Dermatol 53:1038-44. 2005
..Nearly 30 million people tan indoors in the United States annually, including 2.3 million adolescents. Despite increased evidence on the dangers of artificial UV radiation, the popularity of indoor tanning is growing...
- Neurocognitive sequelae of exposure to organic solvents and (meth)acrylates among nail-studio technicians
Gina L LoSasso
Wayne State University, Detroit, Michigan 48202, USA
Neuropsychiatry Neuropsychol Behav Neurol 15:44-55. 2002
..To evaluate neuropsychologic performance among women occupationally exposed to products commonly used in nail studios...
- Indoor UV tanning youth access laws: update 2007
J Adam McLaughlin
Southern Illinois University School of Medicine, Springfield, USA
Arch Dermatol 143:529-32. 2007
- Indoor tanning and problem behavior
Department of Communication, Rutgers University, New Brunswick, NJ 08901, USA
J Am Coll Health 56:555-61. 2008
..The authors examined factors predicting college students' use of tanning beds...
- Furunculosis due to Mycobacterium mageritense associated with footbaths at a nail salon
Amy K Gira
Department of Dermatology, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia 30322, USA
J Clin Microbiol 42:1813-7. 2004
..M. mageritense bacteria isolated from two whirlpool footbaths were determined to be closely related to the patient isolates by pulsed-field gel electrophoresis...
- Time for the national legislation of indoor tanning to protect minors
Marie France Demierre
Arch Dermatol 139:520-4. 2003
- Reconnaissance study of sunbed use by primary school children in Lanarkshire
Public Health Medicine, Forth Valley NHS Board, 33 Spittal Street, Stirling FK8 1DX
J Public Health (Oxf) 26:31-3. 2004
..The aim of this study was to swiftly gain insight into anecdotal evidence that primary school children in local schools were using sunbeds...
- Characterization of chemical exposures in hairdressing salons
Montreal Department of Public Health, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Appl Occup Environ Hyg 18:1014-21. 2003
- Youth access laws: in the dark at the tanning parlor?
Robert P Dellavalle
Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center, and Department of Dermatology, University of Colorado School of Medicine, Denver, 80262, USA
Arch Dermatol 139:443-8. 2003
..To compare laws governing youth access to UV irradiation at indoor tanning facilities with laws governing youth access to tobacco...
- Use of indoor tanning facilities by white adolescents in the United States
Catherine A Demko
Comprehensive Cancer Center at Case Western Reserve University, University Hospitals of Cleveland, OH 44106 5065, USA
Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 157:854-60. 2003
..Indoor tanning is a risk factor for skin cancer, but the population-based prevalence of this behavior among adolescents is not clearly known...
- An outbreak of mycobacterial furunculosis associated with footbaths at a nail salon
Kevin L Winthrop
Epidemic Intelligence Service, Epidemiology Program Office, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, USA
N Engl J Med 346:1366-71. 2002
..The patients had received pedicures at the same nail salon. We identified and investigated an outbreak of Mycobacterium fortuitum furunculosis among customers of this nail salon...
- Prevalence and risk factors of occupational asthma among hairdressers in Turkey
Department of Respiratory Medicine, Izmir Chest Diseases and Surgery Training Hospital, Turkey
J Occup Environ Med 44:585-90. 2002
..Occupational asthma did not differ among subgroups of hairdressers. We observed an important risk of occupational asthma among hairdressers. The most prominent risk factors were work intensity and atopy...
- Sunlight, tanning booths, and vitamin D
Henry W Lim
Department of Dermatology at Henry Ford Hospital, Detroit, Michigan, USA
J Am Acad Dermatol 52:868-76. 2005
- Sun protection practices among offspring of women with personal or family history of skin cancer
Alan C Geller
Department of Dermatology, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, MA 02118, USA
Pediatrics 117:e688-94. 2006
..Family history of skin cancer is an important determinant of skin cancer risk for offspring. No previous study of the effect of personal or family history of skin cancer on the sun protection behaviors of the offspring has been published...
- Contact allergy to hairdressing allergens in female hairdressers and clients--current data from the IVDK, 2003-2006
Institute for Medical Information Technology, Biometry and Epidemiology, University of Erlangen Nuremberg, Erlangen, Germany
J Dtsch Dermatol Ges 5:993-1001. 2007
..Hair cosmetics, in particular hair dyes, bleaches, and permanent wave solutions, contain a number of potential contact allergens. The pattern of exposure to these in hairdressers, clients and home-users may change over time...
- para-Phenylenediamine: the profile of an important allergen. Results of the IVDK
Department of Dermatology, University of Witten Herdecke and Klinikum Dortmund gGmbH, Dortmund, Germany
Br J Dermatol 159:379-86. 2008
..para-Phenylenediamine (PPD) is an important contact allergen and primarily used in hair dyeing...
- Correlates of tanning facility prevalence within San Diego County, California census tracts
Minal R Patel
Graduate School of Public Health, 9245 Sky Park Ct, St 220, San Diego, CA 92123, USA
J Community Health 32:391-400. 2007
..Determining this relationship is important for developing future interventions...
- Internet advertising of artificial tanning in Australia
Key Centre for Women s Health in Society, The University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Eur J Cancer Prev 15:371-6. 2006
- Prevalence of atopy in a population of hairdressing students and practising hairdressers in Melbourne, Australia
Occupational Dermatology Research and Education Centre, Skin and Cancer Foundation, Victoria, Australia
Australas J Dermatol 47:172-7. 2006
..There has been little awareness of this issue in Australia, despite longstanding knowledge of the association of hairdressing and contact dermatitis...
- UV dependence
Jeffrey M Weinberg
Cutis 78:25-6. 2006
- Teens, tans and truth
Newsweek 151:42-3. 2008
- Legislators combat melanoma, restrict teen tanning
J Natl Cancer Inst 98:1594-6. 2006
- Changing perceptions of solaria and cancer risk: the role of the media
Med J Aust 188:735. 2008
- Sunbeds, beauty and melanoma
Br J Dermatol 157:215-6. 2007
- The increase in solariums in Australia, 1992-2006
Jennifer K Makin
Aust N Z J Public Health 31:191-2. 2007
- Tanning devices--fast track to skin cancer?
Antony R Young
St John s Institute of Dermatology, Guy s, King s and St Thomas School of Medicine, King s College London, London, UK
Pigment Cell Res 17:2-9. 2004
- Side effects of naltrexone observed in frequent tanners: could frequent tanners have ultraviolet-induced high opioid levels?
J Am Acad Dermatol 52:916. 2005
- Tanning salons in southwest Poland: a survey of safety standards and professional knowledge of the staff
Jacek C Szepietowski
Department of Dermatology and Venereology, University of Medicine, Wroclaw, Poland
Photodermatol Photoimmunol Photomed 18:179-82. 2002
..Nowadays, sunbeds are very popular worldwide; however--in the majority of countries, including Poland--there are no general guidelines and/or regulations for sunbed usage...
- Examination of the efficacy of an appearance-focused intervention to reduce UV exposure
Joel J Hillhouse
Department of Psychology, Box 70, 649, East Tennessee State University, Johnson City, Tennessee 37614, USA
J Behav Med 25:395-409. 2002
..This appearance-based intervention was able to produce clinically significant changes in indoor tanning use tendencies that could have a beneficial effect on the future development of skin cancer...
- Skin irritation thresholds in hairdressers: implications for the development of hand dermatitis
H R Smith
Contact Dermatitis Clinic, St John s Institute of Dermatology, St Thomas Hospital, London SE1 7EH, UK
Br J Dermatol 146:849-52. 2002
..Individuals vary in their ability to react to irritants...
- Perspectives in melanoma prevention: the case of sunbeds
Unit of Epidemiology, Prevention and Screening, Jules Bordet Institute, Bd of Waterloo 121, Brussels 1000, Belgium
Eur J Cancer 40:2367-76. 2004
..Given the known association between intermittent sun exposure and melanoma, public-health authorities should reconsider the soundness of the commercialisation of these lamps...
- [Solarium use and melanoma risk]
Hørsholm Sygehus, Dermatologisk Klinik
Ugeskr Laeger 166:3589-90. 2004
- Scientific and regulatory issues related to indoor tanning
Henry W Lim
Department of Dermatology, Henry Ford Hospital, Detroit, Michigan, USA
J Am Acad Dermatol 51:781-4. 2004
- Maternal/female caregiver influences on adolescent indoor tanning
Jo Ellen Stryker
Dana Farber Cancer Institute and Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
J Adolesc Health 35:528.e1-9. 2004
- Basal cell carcinoma in young women: an evaluation of the association of tanning bed use and smoking
Alan S Boyd
Department of Medicine Dermatology, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN, USA
J Am Acad Dermatol 46:706-9. 2002
..Young women with a BCC are more likely to have a past or current history of cigarette smoking and blistering sunburns. Repeated exposure to tanning beds may also be a contributory factor...
- [Behavior of sunbed users in Switzerland]
Institut für Sozial und Präventivmedizin, Universitat Basel
Soz Praventivmed 47:318-29. 2002
..An important reason for this trend is that exposure of the population to UV radiation is higher. Although natural UV radiation is the major source, exposure due to use of sunbeds must be considered from the point of view of prevention...
- Australians' use of fake tanning lotions: another piece of the puzzle
Centre for Health Research and Psycho oncology, The Cancer Council New South Wales, Wallsend, New South Wales 2267
Aust N Z J Public Health 27:529-32. 2003
..To assess community attitudes and practices in relation to fake tanning lotions...
- Messages influencing college women's tanning bed use: statistical versus narrative evidence format and a self-assessment to increase perceived susceptibility
Department of Communication, Rutgers University, New Brunswick, New Jersey, USA
J Health Commun 8:443-61. 2003
..Personality factors explained small portions of variance. Key limitations and directions for future research are also addressed...
- Contact allergy to ingredients of hair cosmetics in female hairdressers and clients--an 8-year analysis of IVDK data
Department of Medical Informatics, Biometry and Epidemiology, University of Erlangen Nurnberg, Erlangen, Germany
Contact Dermatitis 49:236-40. 2003
..7% to 16.7%). A slighter increase was also noted with ammonium persulfate in C (3.1-6.8%), while the proportion of H sensitized remained largely constant at about 26%...
- [Sun protection during holidays]
Universitäts Hautklinik Düsseldorf
Hautarzt 54:498-505. 2003
..In this article the most important methods for effective sun protection are critically discussed...
- Ultraviolet exposure is a reinforcing stimulus in frequent indoor tanners
Steven R Feldman
Department of Dermatology, Wake Forest University Health Sciences, USA
J Am Acad Dermatol 51:45-51. 2004
..Investigations into tanners' reasons for tanning have focused primarily on the perception of improved appearance. Reported relaxing effects of tanning suggest the possibility of a physiologic effect of UV that drives tanning behavior...
- Impact of preventive strategies on trend of occupational skin disease in hairdressers: population based register study
Centre of Occupational and Environmental Dermatology, Department of Clinical Social Medicine, University Hospital of Heidelberg, D 69115 Heidelberg, Germany
BMJ 324:1422-3. 2002
- Solaria compliance in an unregulated environment: the Australian experience
C L Paul
Centre for Health Research and Psycho Oncology CHeRP, The Cancer Council NSW, University of Newcastle, Locked Bag No 10, Wallsend, NSW 2287, Australia
Eur J Cancer 41:1178-84. 2005
..While new legislation may be useful, other harm minimisation strategies including mandatory staff training and taxation should be considered...
- Test-retest of self-reported exposure to artificial tanning devices, self-tanning creams, and sun sensitivity showed consistency
Laura E Beane Freeman
Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics, National Cancer Institute, Occupational and Environmental Epidemiology Branch, 6120, Executive Boulevard, Suite 511, MSC 7240, Bethesda, MD 20892 7344, USA
J Clin Epidemiol 58:430-2. 2005
..Although the reliability of self-report of many sun exposure factors has been previously described in several studies, self-report of use of artificial tanning devices and self-tanning creams has been less well characterized...
- Effects of repeated sunbed exposures on the human skin. In vivo measurements with confocal microscopy
Department of Dermatology, Ruhr University Bochum, Gudrunstrasse 56, Bochum D 44791, Germany
Photodermatol Photoimmunol Photomed 20:27-32. 2004
..Although it is well accepted that sunbed exposure significantly increases melanin pigmentation, its capacity to induce epidermal thickening is discussed controversially...
- Ravishing or ravaged: women's relationships with women in the context of aging and Western beauty culture
Carol A Gosselink
Department of Psychology, Missouri State University, Springfield, MO 65897 0001, USA
Int J Aging Hum Dev 66:307-27. 2008
..We discuss four of the six key themes discovered in response to the primary research question: How does beauty culture shape women's experiences of aging and their relationships with women of all ages? We conclude that Western ..
- [Occupational disability insurance--evaluating the work capacity in beauty culture regarding Meyerding II L4/5 Spondylolisthesis]
R M Kirchhoff
Zentrum für Human und Gesundheitswissenschaften, Berliner Hochschulmedizin, Freien Universitat Berlin, Humboldt Universitat zu Berlin, Institut für Arbeitsmedizin, Ostpreussendamm 111, 12207 Berlin
Versicherungsmedizin 54:91-4. 2002
- Bodies that differ: mid- and upper-class women and the quest for "Greekness" in female bodily culture (1896-1940)
Department of Sociology, University of Crete, Greece
Int J Hist Sport 27:2053-89. 2010
- Beauty, for a fee
Healthplan 44:16-8. 2003
- Hairdressers as a resource in addressing family violence
Cardinia Casey Community Health Service, Southern Health, Victoria
Health Promot J Austr 21:236-8. 2010
..this paper reports on an initiative conducted within the Shire of Cardinia, Victoria, to increase skills and confidence of hairdressers to act as a resource and referral source for mental health issues, including family violence...
- Utility of hair clips for scalp surgeries
Dermatol Surg 32:770. 2006
- Work as a hairdresser and cosmetologist and adverse pregnancy outcomes
Jacqueline A Halliday-Bell
Institute of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, University of Birmingham, UK
Occup Med (Lond) 59:180-4. 2009
..Hairdressers and cosmetologists are commonly exposed to chemicals, poor posture and psychological stress that may increase the risk of adverse pregnancy outcomes...
- Lower extremity furunculosis in a female adolescent
Division of Infectious Diseases, Children s Hospital and Research Center at Oakland, Oakland, CA, USA
Pediatr Infect Dis J 25:469, 473-4. 2006
- Scalp alopecias in richly pigmented patients
Frederick N Quarles
Quarles Dermatology, 291 Independence Boulevard, Virginia Beach, VA 23462, USA
Dermatol Ther 20:137-41. 2007
- Community variation in adolescent access to indoor tanning facilities
Ardis L Olson
Department of Pediatrics, Geisel School of Medicine at Dartmouth, Lebanon, NH 03756, USA
J Community Health 38:221-4. 2013
..Variations in access by community size and income must be considered in planning interventions to address youth indoor tanning...
- Hairpin-induced alopecia: case reports and a review of the literature
Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston Salem, North Carolina, USA
Cutis 85:242-5. 2010
..We describe 3 black adolescent girls with hairpin-induced alopecia that started with an ulcer and ended with a scar. We also review the dermatologic literature...
- Healthy worker effect in hairdressing apprentices
Research Centre for Hairdressers and Beauticians, Department of Dermato Allergology, Copenhagen University Hospital Gentofte, DK 2900 Hellerup, Denmark
Contact Dermatitis 64:80-4. 2011
..Hairdressing apprentices, in particular, seem to be at high risk of developing hand eczema. Previous hand eczema and atopic dermatitis are known risk factors for the development of hand eczema in wet work occupations...
- Tanning bed exposure increases the risk of malignant melanoma
Department of Dermatology, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA, USA
Int J Dermatol 46:1253-7. 2007
..Epidemiologic studies have associated tanning bed exposure and cutaneous melanoma. The relationship between the extent of tanning bed exposure and the risk of melanoma has not been elucidated in detail...
- Lupus cerebritis after visiting a tanning salon
Abdallah S Geara
Department of Internal Medicine, Staten Island University Hospital, 784 Olympia Boulevard, Staten Island, New York 10305, USA
Bull NYU Hosp Jt Dis 67:391-3. 2009
..This case illustrates the need to emphasize the danger of the tanning salon to patients with systemic lupus erythematous; the risk is not only cutaneous, it can also be systemic...
- What impact would effective solarium regulation have in Australia?
Louisa G Gordon
Cancer and Population Studies Group, Queensland Institute of Medical Research, Brisbane, QLD
Med J Aust 189:375-8. 2008
..7) By successfully enforcing solarium regulations that ban use by people younger than 18 years or with fair skin, favourable health and cost benefits could be expected...