Summary: Process of cultural change in which one group or members of a group assimilates various cultural patterns from another.
Publications328 found, 100 shown here
- Higher fat intake and lower fruit and vegetables intakes are associated with greater acculturation among Mexicans living in Washington StateMarian L Neuhouser
Cancer Prevention, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, WA 98109 1024, USA
J Am Diet Assoc 104:51-7. 2004To examine associations of diet with acculturation among Hispanic immigrants from Mexico to Washington state and to compare dietary patterns of Hispanic with non-Hispanic white residents.
- Is acculturation unidimensional or bidimensional? A head-to-head comparison in the prediction of personality, self-identity, and adjustmentA G Ryder
Department of Psychology, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada
J Pers Soc Psychol 79:49-65. 2000The unidimensional model of acculturation posits that heritage and mainstream culture identifications have a strong inverse relation, whereas the bidimensional model posits that the 2 identifications are independent...
- Defining and measuring acculturation: a systematic review of public health studies with Hispanic populations in the United StatesMaria D Thomson
University of Waterloo, 200 University Avenue West, Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
Soc Sci Med 69:983-91. 2009..health literature focusing on Hispanic populations in the United States defined and measured the concept of acculturation. A review of 134 studies found considerable variation in the definition and measurement of this construct...
- Acculturative stress, depression, and suicidal ideation among immigrant and second-generation Latino adolescentsJ D Hovey
Department of Psychology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor 48109 1109, USA
J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 35:1183-92. 1996....
- Birthplace, years of residence in the United States, and obesity among Mexican-American adultsCarlos H Barcenas
Department of Internal Medicine of the Medical College of Georgia, Augusta, and Boston VA Healthcare System, MA, USA
Obesity (Silver Spring) 15:1043-52. 2007..To evaluate the association between birthplace (Mexico or U.S.) and obesity in men and women and to analyze the relationship between duration of U.S. residency and prevalence of obesity in Mexican immigrants...
- Toward a theory-driven model of acculturation in public health researchAna F Abraido-Lanza
Department of Sociomedical Sciences, Mailman School of Public Health, Columbia University, New York, NY 10032, USA
Am J Public Health 96:1342-6. 2006Interest in studying the impact of acculturation on immigrant health has increased in tandem with the growth of the Latino population in the United States...
- The association between acculturation and health practices among middle-aged and elderly LatinasP J Cantero
Department of Preventive Medicine, University of Southern California, Los Angeles 90033 0800, USA
Ethn Dis 9:166-80. 1999To examine the relationship between acculturation and five health practices, including cigarette smoking, alcohol consumption, exercise, obesity, and sleeping habits.
- The role of acculturation in nutrition, lifestyle, and incidence of type 2 diabetes among LatinosRafael Perez-Escamilla
Department of Nutritional Sciences, Center for Eliminating Health Disparities among Latinos, University of Connecticut, Storrs, CT 06269 4017, USA
J Nutr 137:860-70. 2007..The purpose of this critical review is to examine the influence of acculturation on type 2 diabetes and corresponding risk factors, including 1) dietary intake, 2) physical activity patterns, ..
- Acculturation and the prevalence of pain amongst South Asian minority ethnic groups in the UKB Palmer
ARC Epidemiology Unit, Manchester University Medical School, Oxford Road, Manchester M13 9PT, UK
Rheumatology (Oxford) 46:1009-14. 2007..we investigated the extent to which differences in the prevalence of pain within the South Asian population could be explained by differences in acculturation (the extent to which immigrants take on the culture of their host population).
- Dietary acculturation and the nutrition transition: an overviewJessie A Satia
Department of Nutrition, Division of Digestive Diseases and Nutrition, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC 27599, USA
Appl Physiol Nutr Metab 35:219-23. 2010This article provides an overview of the phenomena of "dietary acculturation" and the "nutrition transition". The term dietary acculturation is defined, and a proposed model for how dietary acculturation occurs is presented...
- Acculturation and ethnic-minority health behavior: a test of the operant modelIrma Corral
Joint Doctoral Program in Clinical Psychology, San Diego State University
Health Psychol 27:737-45. 2008The Operant Model of Acculturation predicts that health behaviors that have a low prevalence (< 20%) among Traditional (low-acculturated) minorities increase in prevalence with acculturation and hence have a higher prevalence among ..
- Correlates of susceptibility to smoking among Mexican origin youth residing in Houston, Texas: a cross-sectional analysisAnna V Wilkinson
Department of Epidemiology, Unit 1340, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, PO Box 301439, Houston, TX 77230 1439, USA
BMC Public Health 8:337. 2008..In this analysis we examined the relationship between susceptibility to smoking and well-known risk factors associated with smoking initiation among a cohort of 11 to 13 year old Mexican origin youth residing in Houston, Texas...
- A systematic review of the relationship between acculturation and diet among Latinos in the United States: implications for future researchGuadalupe X Ayala
Division of Health Promotion, Graduate School of Public Health, San Diego State University, San Diego, CA 92123, USA
J Am Diet Assoc 108:1330-44. 2008..Researchers have indicated that the healthfulness of the Latino diet deteriorates during the acculturation process...
- Cardiovascular risk factors in Mexican American adults: a transcultural analysis of NHANES III, 1988-1994J Sundquist
Stanford Center for Research in Disease Prevention, Stanford University School of Medicine, Palo Alto, CA 94304 1825, USA
Am J Public Health 89:723-30. 1999..This study examined the extent to which cardiovascular disease risk factors differ among subgroups of Mexican Americans living in the United States...
- Association between length of residence and cardiovascular disease risk factors among an ethnically diverse group of United States immigrantsDeepika L Koya
Department of Medicine, Division of General Internal Medicine and Center for Health Disparities Research, Medical University of South Carolina, 135 Rutledge Avenue, Room 280H, Charleston, SC 29425, USA
J Gen Intern Med 22:841-6. 2007Although differences in cardiovascular disease (CVD) risk factors between immigrants and nonimmigrants have been examined previously, the effect of acculturation on CVD risk factors in immigrants has been less well studied.
- Acculturation and smoking patterns among Hispanics: a reviewJeffrey W Bethel
Department of Public Health Sciences, University of California, Davis, California 95616 8638, USA
Am J Prev Med 29:143-8. 2005To conduct a systematic review of published studies investigating the association of acculturation and smoking patterns among Hispanic men and women in the United States.
- Acculturation and diabetes among Hispanics: evidence from the 1999-2002 National Health and Nutrition Examination SurveyArch G Mainous
Department of Family Medicine, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, SC 29425, USA
Public Health Rep 121:60-6. 2006..white individuals; however, it is unclear whether Hispanics' risk of diabetes differs based on their level of acculturation. The purpose of our research was to examine acculturation among Hispanic Americans with respect to prevalence ..
- The roles of citizenship status, acculturation, and health insurance in breast and cervical cancer screening among immigrant womenSandra E Echeverria
Division of General Medicine, Columbia University Medical Center, New York, NY 10032, USA
Med Care 44:788-92. 2006Immigrant women are less likely to undergo cancer screening. However, few national studies have examined the role of citizenship status or acculturation.
- Applying general strain theory to examine perceived discrimination's indirect relation to Mexican-heritage youth's alcohol, cigarette, and marijuana useJennifer A Kam
School of Communication, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
Prev Sci 11:397-410. 2010Latent growth curve modeling was used to test four hypotheses. First, this study hypothesized that acculturation-related variables (e.g., Mexican-heritage youth's country of origin, time spent in the U.S...
- Leisure-time physical activity disparities among Hispanic subgroups in the United StatesCharles J Neighbors
The National Center on Addiction and Substance Abuse, 633 Third Ave, New York, NY 10017, USA
Am J Public Health 98:1460-4. 2008..Sociodemographic factors partly accounted for disparities among men; disparities among women persisted despite multivariate adjustments. Interventions must attend to these under-served yet varied sub-communities...
- Age, acculturation, cultural adjustment, and mental health symptoms of Chinese, Korean, and Japanese immigrant youthsChristine J Yeh
Department of Counseling and Clinical Psychology, Teachers College, Columbia University, 525 West 120th Street, New York, New York 10027, USA
Cultur Divers Ethnic Minor Psychol 9:34-48. 2003..and Korean immigrant junior high and high school students (N = 319) investigated the association between age, acculturation, cultural adjustment difficulties, and general mental health concerns...
- Lymphoid malignancies in U.S. Asians: incidence rate differences by birthplace and acculturationChristina A Clarke
Cancer Prevention Institute of California, Fremont, California 94538, USA
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 20:1064-77. 2011....
- The cultural context of gender, identity: female genital, excision and infibulationBilkis Vissandjee
University of Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Health Care Women Int 24:115-24. 2003..to explore the practices of female genital excision and infibulation as they relate to gender identity and the acculturation process in Canada...
- Reproductive health practices among Indian, Indo-Canadian, Canadian East Asian, and Euro-Canadian women: the role of acculturationLori A Brotto
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, University of British Columbia, Vancouver BC
J Obstet Gynaecol Can 30:229-38. 2008..We also explored the level of acculturation in the two immigrant groups in order to understand the extent to which affiliation with Western culture may ..
- Interrelationships among biological markers of aging, health, activity, acculturation, and cognitive performance in late adulthoodK J Anstey
The Prince of Wales Medical Research Institute, University of New South Wales, Randwick, Australia
Psychol Aging 14:605-18. 1999..Physical health and physical activity had direct effects on BioAge. Measures of acculturation explained non-age-related variance in cognitive test performance...
- Physical activity and acculturation among adult Hispanics in the United StatesDavid Berrigan
Applied Research Program, National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, MD 20892 7344, USA
Res Q Exerc Sport 77:147-57. 2006..This analysis examines the association between acculturation and physical activity in a large (approximately 5,000) sample of Hispanic adults from the 2000 National Health ..
- Access to care, acculturation, and risk factors for stroke in Mexican Americans: the Brain Attack Surveillance in Corpus Christi (BASIC) projectMelinda A Smith
Stroke Program, University of Michigan Health System, Ann Arbor, USA
Stroke 34:2671-5. 2003..We compared access to care, acculturation, and biological risk factors among Mexican American and non-Hispanic white stroke patients and the general ..
- Substance use among foreign-born youths in the United States: does the length of residence matter?Joseph C Gfroerer
Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, Office of Applied Studies, Rockville, MD 20857, USA
Am J Public Health 93:1892-5. 2003
- Parent-child acculturation patterns and substance use among Hispanic adolescents: a longitudinal analysisJennifer B Unger
School of Community and Global Health, Claremont Graduate University, 150 E Tenth St, Harper Hall 107, Claremont, CA 91711, USA
J Prim Prev 30:293-313. 2009b>Acculturation discrepancy theory predicts that conflicting cultural preferences between adolescents and their parents will increase the adolescents' risk for behavior problems such as substance use...
- Mental health problems and post-migration stress among multi-traumatized refugees attending outpatient clinics upon resettlement to NorwayDinu Stefan Teodorescu
Innlandet Hospital Trust, Brumunddal, Norway
Scand J Psychol 53:316-32. 2012..Further research may clarify the existence of a cumulative relationship between pre-resettlement traumas and post-resettlement stressors in the mental health of refugees, which in turn may help to improve therapeutic interventions...
- Pre- and postintervention differences in acculturation, knowledge, beliefs, and stages of readiness for mammograms among Korean American womenJin Hee Kim
College of Nursing, University of Illinois at Chicago, USA
Oncol Nurs Forum 36:E80-92. 2009To assess differences in acculturation, knowledge, beliefs, and stages of readiness for mammograms from pre- to postintervention among Korean American women aged 40 years or older.
- Food acculturation drives dietary differences among Mexicans, Mexican Americans, and Non-Hispanic WhitesCarolina Batis
Department of Nutrition, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC, USA
J Nutr 141:1898-906. 2011Our aim was to examine the effects of food acculturation on Mexican Americans' (MA) diets, taking the Mexican diet as reference...
- The influence of maternal acculturation on child body mass index at age 24 monthsKatarina M Sussner
Department of Oncological Sciences, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY 10029, USA
J Am Diet Assoc 109:218-25. 2009Obesity rates in preschool-aged children are greatest among Latinos. Studies of the relationship of acculturation to obesity among Latino immigrants have primarily focused on adults and adolescents...
- Acculturation in the United States is associated with lower serum carotenoid levels: Third National Health and Nutrition Examination SurveyJim P Stimpson
Department of Social and Behavioural Sciences, University of North Texas Health Science Center, Fort Worth, TX 76107 2699, USA
J Am Diet Assoc 107:1218-23. 2007This study examined the association of acculturation in the United States and serum carotenoid levels...
- Lifecourse, immigrant status and acculturation in food purchasing and preparation among low-income mothersTamara Dubowitz
RAND Corporation, 4570 Fifth Avenue, Suite 600, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Public Health Nutr 10:396-404. 2007This study investigates how lifecourse, immigrant status and acculturation, and neighbourhood of residence influence food purchasing and preparation among low-income women with children, living in the USA...
- Cultural adaptation into Spanish of the generalized anxiety disorder-7 (GAD-7) scale as a screening toolJavier Garcia-Campayo
Department of Psychiatry, Hospital Universitario Miguel Servet, Zaragoza, Spain
Health Qual Life Outcomes 8:8. 2010..This study carried out the cultural adaptation into Spanish of the 7-item self-administered GAD-7 scale, which is used to identify probable patients with GAD...
- Acculturation and physical activity in a working class multiethnic populationKathleen Y Wolin
Northwestern University, Feinberg School of Medicine, Department of Preventive Medicine, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
Prev Med 42:266-72. 2006Determinants of physical activity in minority populations remain under-explored. Acculturation is one proposed mechanism for the disparities that exist between racial and ethnic groups in health outcomes.
- Changing living conditions, life style and healthTine Curtis
National Institute of Public Health, Copenhagen, Denmark
Int J Circumpolar Health 64:442-50. 2005..Psychosocial stress is reflected in problems such as alcohol abuse, violence and suicide, and these factors have been shown in studies on migration and transitions in health to be connected to changes in lifestyle and living conditions...
- Asian American adolescents' first sexual intercourse: gender and acculturation differencesHyeouk Chris Hahm
School of Social Work, Boston University, Boston, MA, USA
Perspect Sex Reprod Health 38:28-36. 2006..Interventions aimed at adolescents need to be culturally specific. The dearth of data on Asian American adolescents has made it difficult to meet their needs...
- Acculturation, nutrition, and health disparities in LatinosRafael Perez-Escamilla
Yale School of Public Health, New Haven, CT 06510, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 93:1163S-7S. 2011..Latinos have become the largest minority group in the United States and will represent 25% of the US population by 2050. Latinos experience a disproportionate burden of poverty and poor health outcomes...
- Acculturation and cardiovascular risk factor control among Hispanic adults in the United StatesPracha P Eamranond
Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Harvard Medical School, Brookline, MA, USA
Public Health Rep 124:818-24. 2009We sought to determine whether low acculturation, based on language measures, leads to disparities in cardiovascular risk factor control in U.S. Hispanic adults.
- Neighbourhood immigrant acculturation and diet among Hispanic female residents of New York CityYoosun Park
School for Social Work, Smith College, Northampton, MA, USA
Public Health Nutr 14:1593-600. 2011..To identify predominant dietary patterns among Hispanic women and to determine whether adherence to dietary patterns is predicted by neighbourhood-level factors: linguistic isolation, poverty rate and the retail food environment...
- Acculturation of attitudes toward end-of-life care: a cross-cultural survey of Japanese Americans and JapaneseShinji Matsumura
Division of General Internal Medicine and Health Services, University of California Los Angeles, Los Angeles, Calif 90095 1736, USA
J Gen Intern Med 17:531-9. 2002Cross-cultural ethical conflicts are common. However, little is known about how and to what extent acculturation changes attitudes toward end-of-life care and advance care planning...
- Conceptions of acculturation: a review and statement of critical issuesMaria Lopez-Class
Department of Oncology, Lombardi Comprehensive Cancer, Center, Georgetown University, Washington, DC, USA
Soc Sci Med 72:1555-62. 2011This article reviews evidence for re-conceptualizing acculturation status and acculturation process in health care research with United States (U.S.) Latino populations...
- Rethinking the concept of acculturation: implications for theory and researchSeth J Schwartz
Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, Leonard M Miller School of Medicine, University of Miami, Miami, FL 33136, USA
Am Psychol 65:237-51. 2010This article presents an expanded model of acculturation among international migrants and their immediate descendants...
- Association of acculturation with cesarean section among LatinasAmy I Zlot
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Matern Child Health J 9:11-20. 2005Examine the association of acculturation and cesarean section after adjusting for clinical and non-clinical factors that could influence clinical discretion in performing the surgery.
- Asian American multidimensional acculturation scale: development, factor analysis, reliability, and validityRuth H Gim Chung
Division of Counseling Psychology, Rossier School of Education, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA, US
Cultur Divers Ethnic Minor Psychol 10:66-80. 2004This article describes the development and psychometric properties of the Asian American Multidimensional Acculturation Scale (AAMAS). The results of 3 separate studies provide strong evidence of the instrument's reliability and validity...
- Acculturation, socioeconomic status, obesity and lifestyle factors among low-income Puerto Rican women in Connecticut, U.S., 1998-1999Nurgül Fitzgerald
Department of Family and Community Health Sciences, Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, New Brunswick, New Jersey 08901, United States of America
Rev Panam Salud Publica 19:306-13. 2006To examine the associations of socioeconomic status and acculturation with obesity and lifestyle characteristics that may be risk factors for diabetes and cardiovascular disease among low-income Puerto Rican women.
- Individual and area-based indicators of acculturation and the metabolic syndrome among low-income Mexican American women living in a border regionKARLA ESPINOSA DE LOS MONTEROS
Joint Doctoral Program in Clinical Psychology, San Diego State University, University ofCalifornia, San Diego, CA 92120, USA
Am J Public Health 98:1979-86. 2008We sought to examine the relationships between individual and area-based indicators of acculturation and metabolic syndrome (MetS) risk among a sample of Mexican American women living in the California-Baja California border region.
- Acculturation, internalizing mental health symptoms, and self-esteem: cultural experiences of Latino adolescents in North CarolinaPaul R Smokowski
School of Social Work, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 301 Pittsboro Street, CB 3550, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 3550, USA
Child Psychiatry Hum Dev 37:273-92. 2007This investigation examined acculturation risk factors and cultural assets, internalizing behavioral problems, and self-esteem in 323 Latino adolescents living in North Carolina...
- Acculturation stress and depression among Asian immigrant eldersAda C Mui
Columbia University, School of Social Work, New York, NY 10027, USA
Soc Work 51:243-55. 2006This study examines the association between acculturation stress and depressive symptoms in a regional probability sample (n = 407) of six groups of Asian immigrant elders (Chinese, Korean, Indian, Filipino,Vietnamese, and Japanese)...
- The influence of immigrant status and acculturation on the development of overweight in Latino families: a qualitative studyKatarina M Sussner
Department of Oncological Sciences, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY 10029, USA
J Immigr Minor Health 10:497-505. 2008Exposure to obesogenic environments in the U.S. may foster development of overweight in immigrants with greater acculturation. Few studies document mechanisms of the acculturation process from immigrants' own perspectives or describe ..
- Effects of acculturation on smoking behavior in Asian Americans: a meta-analysisSarah Choi
Department of Family Health Care Nursing, School of Nursing, University of California, San Francisco, CA, USA
J Cardiovasc Nurs 23:67-73. 2008..In the United States, the prevalence rate in Asian immigrants is high (26%-70%), with Southeast Asian men having the highest rate. Acculturation has been associated with smoking behavior in this ethnic group.
- Risk for psychiatric disorder among immigrants and their US-born descendants: evidence from the National Comorbidity Survey ReplicationJoshua Breslau
Department of Health Care Policy, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
J Nerv Ment Dis 195:189-95. 2007..This pattern is consistent with either of two causal processes, one involving early socialization in the United States and the other involving postmigration experiences among immigrants who arrive in the United States as adults...
- Acculturation and depressive symptoms among pregnant and postpartum LatinasMarivel Davila
Department of Family and Community Medicine, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, 7703 Floyd Curl Drive, San Antonio, TX 78229, USA
Matern Child Health J 13:318-25. 2009Among childbearing Latinas, higher acculturation has been found to be significantly associated with increased risk for mental health problems, although these findings have been inconsistent...
- Acculturation and use of health care services by Turkish and Moroccan migrants: a cross-sectional population-based studyThijs Fassaert
Department of Epidemiology, Documentation and Health Promotion, Amsterdam Municipal Health Service, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
BMC Public Health 9:332. 2009There is insufficient empirical evidence which shows if and how there is an interrelation between acculturation and health care utilisation...
- Association between language and risk factor levels among Hispanic adults with hypertension, hypercholesterolemia, or diabetesPracha P Eamranond
Division of General Medicine and Primary Care, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
Am Heart J 157:53-9. 2009The association of acculturation and cardiovascular risk factor control among populations with high proportions of immigrants has not been well studied.
- Determinants of Latina obesity in the United States: the role of selective acculturationMing Chin Yeh
Hunter College, City University of New York
J Transcult Nurs 20:105-15. 2009..In this article, the authors review the existing literature on acculturation as it relates to obesity and health behaviors among U.S. Hispanic women...
- Do healthy behaviors decline with greater acculturation? Implications for the Latino mortality paradoxAna F Abraido-Lanza
Department of Sociomedical Sciences, Mailman School of Public Health, Columbia University, 722 West 168 Street, 5th Floor, New York, NY 10032, USA
Soc Sci Med 61:1243-55. 2005..a secondary data analysis of the 1991 National Health Interview Survey to test the health behavior and acculturation hypotheses, which have been proposed to explain this paradox...
- Acculturation to Western society as a risk factor for high blood pressure: a meta-analytic reviewPatrick R Steffen
Brigham Young University, 284 Taylor Building, Provo, Utah 84602, USA
Psychosom Med 68:386-97. 2006A number of studies have documented that acculturation to western society is related to an increase in blood pressure (BP)...
- Cultural change and mental health in Greenland: the association of childhood conditions, language, and urbanization with mental health and suicidal thoughts among the Inuit of GreenlandPeter Bjerregaard
Section for Research in Greenland, National Institute of Public Health, Copenhagen, Denmark
Soc Sci Med 54:33-48. 2002....
- Unhealthy assimilation: why do immigrants converge to American health status levels?Heather Antecol
Department of Economics, Claremont McKenna College, Claremont, CA 91711, USA
Demography 43:337-60. 2006....
- Beyond acculturation: immigration, discrimination, and health research among Mexicans in the United StatesEdna A Viruell-Fuentes
Harvard School of Public Health, Cambridge, MA, USA
Soc Sci Med 65:1524-35. 2007..However, the prominence granted to acculturation within these explanations diverts attention from structural and contextual factors, such as social and ..
- Acculturation and psychological distress among non-Western Muslim migrants--a population-based surveyThijs Fassaert
Department of Epidemiology, Documentation and Health Promotion, Municipal Health Service, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Int J Soc Psychiatry 57:132-43. 2011..Political and social developments point at increasing marginalization of Muslim migrants, but little is known about its consequences for the mental health of this particular group...
- A study of dietary patterns in the Mexican-American population and their association with obesityPatricia M Carrera
Department of Nutrition, University of Maryland, College Park, USA
J Am Diet Assoc 107:1735-42. 2007..We hypothesized that Mexican-American adults following a traditional diet would have a lower prevalence of obesity than those following a more typical American diet...
- Acculturation, physical activity, and fast-food consumption among Asian-American and Hispanic adolescentsJennifer B Unger
Institute for Health Promotion and Disease Prevention Research, University of Southern California, Keck School of Medicine, Alhambra, CA 91803, USA
J Community Health 29:467-81. 2004Previous studies have implicated acculturation to the US as a risk factor for unhealthy behaviors among Hispanic and Asian-American adolescents, including substance use, violence, and unsafe sex...
- Differences in fruit and vegetable intake among Hispanic subgroups in California: results from the 2005 California Health Interview SurveyURIYOAN COLON-RAMOS
Health Promotion Research Branch, Behavioral Research Program, Division of Cancer Control and Population Sciences, National Cancer Institute NIH, 6130 Executive Blvd, Bethesda, MD 20892 7344, USA
J Am Diet Assoc 109:1878-85. 2009..To compare total fruit and vegetable intake in cup equivalents and its individual components among Hispanic subgroups in California...
- Chronic diseases and dietary changes in relation to Korean Americans' length of residence in the United StatesEun Ju Yang
Department of Culinary Science, Honam University, Gwangju, Korea
J Am Diet Assoc 107:942-50. 2007..National health in the United States is influenced by the dietary norms brought into the country by an increasing number of immigrants...
- Measuring culture: a critical review of acculturation and health in Asian immigrant populationsTalya Salant
Committee on the History of Culture and The Pritzker School of Medicine, The University of Chicago, Chicago, IL 60637, USA
Soc Sci Med 57:71-90. 2003The number of studies examining how acculturation affects the health of Asian immigrants has increased in recent years...
- Recency of immigration, substance use, and sexual behavior among Massachusetts adolescentsS M Blake
George Washington University School of Public Health and Health Services, 2175 K St, NW, Suite 700, Washington, DC 20037, USA
Am J Public Health 91:794-8. 2001..001). CONCLUSIONS: A window of opportunity exists to provide primary prevention programs in schools to immigrant youths that may reduce adolescent health risk behaviors...
- The impact of acculturation on the use of traditional Chinese medicine in newly diagnosed Chinese cancer patientsMark Anthony Ferro
Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, University of Western Ontario, Kresge Building, Room K201, London, Ontario N6A 5C1, Canada
Support Care Cancer 15:985-92. 2007This study assessed the impact of acculturation on the prevalence of traditional Chinese medicine and other complementary and alternative medicine (TCM/CAM) use in newly diagnosed Chinese cancer patients...
- Age at arrival and risk of obesity among US immigrantsReshma Roshania
Hubert Department of Global Health, Rollins School of Public Health, Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Obesity (Silver Spring) 16:2669-75. 2008..Obesity prevention among young US immigrants should be a priority...
- Associations among food insecurity, acculturation, demographic factors, and fruit and vegetable intake at home in Hispanic childrenJayna M Dave
Children s Nutrition Research Center, Baylor College of Medicine, 1100 Bates St, Houston, TX 77030, USA
J Am Diet Assoc 109:697-701. 2009The purpose of this cross-sectional pilot study was to examine associations between food insecurity, acculturation, demographic factors, and children's fruit and vegetable intake among a sample of Hispanic children ages 5 to 12 years...
- Acculturation and self-reported health among Hispanics using a socio-behavioral model: the North Texas Healthy Heart StudyKatandria L Johnson
Primary Care Research Institute, University of North Texas Health Science Center at Fort Worth, Fort Worth, TX, USA
BMC Public Health 10:53. 2010b>Acculturation is a continuous, firsthand contact with other cultures functioning at both group and individual levels and is reflected in our culturally diverse society, calling for a greater understanding of the environmental and ..
- Generation, language, body mass index, and activity patterns in Hispanic childrenSharon E Taverno
Department of Biobehavioral Health, Pennsylvania State University, University Park, Pennsylvania, USA
Am J Prev Med 38:145-53. 2010The acculturation hypothesis proposes an overall disadvantage in health outcomes for Hispanic immigrants with more time spent living in the U.S...
- Dietary assimilation and health among hispanic immigrants to the United StatesIlana Redstone Akresh
University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, Department of Sociology, Urbana, IL 61801, USA
J Health Soc Behav 48:404-17. 2007..those with worse health have been in the United States for longer and are more likely to report the use of English at work than those reporting better health, factors that indicate acculturation and exposure to broader U.S. society.
- Adversities of acculturation? Prevalence of obesity among immigrantsNeeraj Kaushal
School of Social Work, Columbia University, Amsterdam Avenue, New York, NY 10027, USA
Health Econ 18:291-303. 2009..For those who experienced increase in obesity with duration, the rise was higher during the first five years of residence than later and greater for those who arrived at a relatively young age...
- Acculturation and education level in relation to quality of the diet: a study of Surinamese South Asian and Afro-Caribbean residents of the NetherlandsM Nicolaou
Department of Social Medicine, Academic Medical Centre, University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Hum Nutr Diet 19:383-93. 2006To consider the changes in overall diet quality following migration we examined the associations of acculturation variables and education level with diet in Surinamese South Asian and Surinamese Afro-Caribbean origin on the one hand, and ..
- Acculturation and healthy lifestyle among Latinos with diabetesArch G Mainous
Department of Family Medicine, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, SC 29425, USA
Ann Fam Med 6:131-7. 2008..We sought to examine the association of acculturation on healthy lifestyle habits among the Latino population in the United States with diabetes.
- Socio-demographic differences in acculturation and mental health for a sample of 2nd generation/early immigrant Arab AmericansMona M Amer
Program for the Study of Immigration and Mental Health, Department of Psychology, The University of Toledo, Toledo, OH, USA
J Immigr Minor Health 9:335-47. 2007This study examined socio-demographic differences in acculturation patterns among early immigrant and second-generation Arab Americans, using data from 120 participants who completed a Web-based study...
- Dietary acculturation: applications to nutrition research and dieteticsJessie Satia-Abouta
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Cancer Prevention Research Program, Seattle, Wash, USA
J Am Diet Assoc 102:1105-18. 2002..The process by which immigrants adopt the dietary practices of the host country--called "dietary acculturation"--is multidimensional, dynamic, and complex; in addition, it varies considerably, depending on a variety of ..
- Associations between United States acculturation and the end-of-life experience of caregivers of patients with advanced cancerSusan DeSanto-Madeya
College of Nursing and Health Sciences, University of Massachusetts Boston, Boston, Massachusetts 02125, USA
J Palliat Med 12:1143-9. 2009Cultural beliefs and values influence treatment preferences for and experiences with end-of-life (EOL) care among racial and ethnic groups. Within-group variations, however, may exist based on level of acculturation.
- Acculturation and Latino adolescents' substance use: a research agenda for the futureMario De La Rosa
College of Public and Urban Affairs, Florida International University, Miami, USA
Subst Use Misuse 37:429-56. 2002This paper conducts a review of the literature on acculturation by Latino adolescents to traditional European-American cultural values and its effect on their substance-using behaviors...
- Linguistic acculturation and gender effects on smoking among Hispanic youthJ A Epstein
Institute for Prevention Research, Cornell University Medical College, New York, New York 10021, USA
Prev Med 27:583-9. 1998..The complex psychological process of adaptation to a different culture (acculturation) has been linked to smoking among Hispanic adults and adolescents...
- Evidence for a sensitive period for acculturation: younger immigrants report acculturating at a faster rateBenjamin Y Cheung
University of British Columbia, Department of Psychology, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada V6T 1Z4
Psychol Sci 22:147-52. 2011..community and student samples of Hong Kong immigrants to Vancouver, Canada, completed the Vancouver Index of Acculturation, a measure that assesses respondents' identification with their mainstream and heritage cultures...
- Acculturation and depression among Hispanics: the moderating effect of intercultural competenceLucas Torres
Department of Psychological Sciences, Purdue University, USA
Cultur Divers Ethnic Minor Psychol 13:10-7. 2007In the present study the authors examined the relative contributions of typical acculturation indicators, general coping, and intercultural competence in predicting depression among 96 Hispanic adults...
- Ethnic identity and acculturation in Hispanic early adolescents: mediated relationships to academic grades, prosocial behaviors, and externalizing symptomsSeth J Schwartz
Center for Family Studies, Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Leonard M Miller School of Medicine, University of Miami, Miami, FL 33136, USA
Cultur Divers Ethnic Minor Psychol 13:364-73. 2007This study examined acculturative stress and self-esteem as mediators of the association of ethnic identity and acculturation with psychosocial outcomes...
- A prospective cohort study of modifiable risk factors for gestational diabetes among Hispanic women: design and baseline characteristicsLisa Chasan-Taber
Department of Public Health, School of Public Health and Health Sciences, University of Massachusetts, 715 North Pleasant Street, Amherst, MA 01003 9304, USA
J Womens Health (Larchmt) 19:117-24. 2010..Currently recognized risk factors for GDM are absent in up to half of affected women, and studies addressing modifiable risk factors for GDM in Hispanic women are sparse...
- The impact of acculturation on smoking in Asian American homesGrace X Ma
Department of Public Health, Center for Asian Health, Temple University, USA
J Health Care Poor Underserved 15:267-80. 2004This study examined the relationship between acculturation and smoking in Asian American homes and the factors that predict whether Asian Americans have family members or visitors smoking in the home...
- Role of acculturation research in advancing science and practice in reducing health care disparities among LatinosRuth E Zambrana
Department of Women s Studies and the Consortium on Race, Gender and Ethnicity, University of Maryland, 2101 Woods Hall, College Park, MD 20742, USA
Am J Public Health 100:18-23. 2010..We examined the theoretical assumptions and methodological limitations of acculturation research in understanding Latino health care disparities, the evidence for socioeconomic position as a ..
- Comparing acculturation models in evaluating dietary habits among low-income Hispanic womenSonya Norman
VA San Diego Healthcare System, University of California, San Diego, California 92108, USA
Ethn Dis 14:399-404. 2004..Such discrepancies could be caused by inconsistencies in the assessment of acculturation. The goal of the current study was to determine whether different methods of defining acculturation could ..
- Acculturation and adjustment in Latino adolescents: how cultural risk factors and assets influence multiple domains of adolescent mental healthPaul Smokowski
School of Social Work, University of North Carolina Chapel Hill, CB 3550, 325 Pittsboro Street, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 3550, USA
J Prim Prev 30:371-93. 2009..We extend past research by using a longitudinal design and evaluating direct and moderated acculturation effects across a range of internalizing, externalizing, and academic engagement outcomes...
- Parent-child acculturation discrepancies as a risk factor for substance use among Hispanic adolescents in Southern CaliforniaJennifer B Unger
Institute for Health Promotion and Disease Prevention Research, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA, USA
J Immigr Minor Health 11:149-57. 2009Theories of acculturation predict that discrepancies in cultural orientation between adolescents and their parents will increase the adolescents' risk for behavior problems such as substance use...
- The association of immigration and acculturation attributes with oral health among immigrants in New York CityGustavo D Cruz
New York University College of Dentistry, Department of Epidemiology and Health Promotion, 250 Park Avenue South, Sixth Floor, New York, NY 10003, USA
Am J Public Health 99:S474-80. 2009We examined associations between immigration and acculturation attributes and oral disease among immigrants.
- Acculturation and cervical cancer: knowledge, beliefs, and behaviors of Hispanic womenM P Harmon
AIDS Research Consortium of Atlanta, GA 30308, USA
Women Health 24:37-57. 1996In a community-based sample of Hispanic women, this study examines differences in relation to level of acculturation in knowledge about the Pap examination, fear/fatalism towards cancer, and cervical cancer screening behaviors...
- Acculturation, familism and mother-daughter relations among suicidal and non-suicidal adolescent LatinasLuis H Zayas
Washington University in St Louis, One Brookings Drive, Campus Box 1196, St Louis, MO 63130 4899, USA
J Prim Prev 30:351-69. 2009We examined the role of acculturation, familism and Latina mother-daughter relations in suicide attempts by comparing 65 adolescents with recent suicide attempts and their mothers to 75 teens without any attempts and their mothers...
- Acculturation and its association with health-risk behaviors in a rural Latina populationOlivia C Kasirye
Department of Public Health Sciences, University of California, Davis 95616 8638, USA
Ethn Dis 15:733-9. 2005To evaluate the performance of proxy measures of acculturation and to examine the association between acculturation and selected health-risk behaviors.
- The relationships among acculturation, biobehavioral risk, stress, corticotropin-releasing hormone, and poor birth outcomes in Hispanic womenR Jeanne Ruiz
University of Texas Medical Branch, School of Nursing, 3 310 Allied Health Sciences Nursing Building, 301 University Boulevard, Galveston, TX 77555 1029, USA
Ethn Dis 16:926-32. 2006To determine the predictive ability of acculturation as an antecedent of stress, biobehavioral risk, corticotropin-releasing hormone levels, and poor birth outcomes in pregnant Hispanic women.
- Acculturation and family functioning are related to health risks among pregnant Mexican American womenH Balcazar
Department of Social and Behavioral Sciences, School of Public Health, University of North Texas, USA
Behav Med 27:62-70. 2001The authors examined the independent and interactive effects of acculturation status and family cohesiveness on a series of psychosocial and medical risk factors of pregnancy among 500 women of Mexican origin...
- Health status of Mexican-origin persons: do proxy measures of acculturation advance our understanding of health disparities?Olivia Carter-Pokras
Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, University of Maryland College Park School of Public Health, College Park, MD 20742, USA
J Immigr Minor Health 10:475-88. 2008This paper compares select health status indicators between the U.S. and Mexico, and within the Mexican-origin population using proxy measures of acculturation.
- Immigration and healthDeanne K Hilfinger Messias
University of South Carolina, Columbia, USA
Annu Rev Nurs Res 22:101-34. 2004..In addition, research on acculturation has not clarified the positive or negative effects of acculturation on health...
- Maternal behavior among Puerto Rican adolescent mothersJOSEFINA GRAU; Fiscal Year: 2009..to changes in children's cognitive and emotional/behavioral outcomes during early childhood;and 3) how acculturation level moderates the above relations...
- Advanced Center for Latino and MH Systems ResearchMargarita Alegria; Fiscal Year: 2009..We further hypothesize that greater acculturation in Mexican American parents will be associated with less variation between Mexican American and non- Latino ..
- Psychoneuroimmunology: Preterm Birth in HispanicsROBERTA RUIZ; Fiscal Year: 2007..are the largest and fastest growing ethnic group in the US with the rates of preterm birth increasing with acculturation. We have delineated a predictive pathway from acculturation through the endocrine and immune systems to ..
- Socio-Cultural Influences on Allergic SensitizationGinger Chew; Fiscal Year: 2006..of the exposure that leads to sensitization to indoor allergens, and how socioeconomic status, level of acculturation, and travel between NYC and Puerto Rico among these families influences this critical exposure...
- Racial/ethnic differences in symptom perception in childhood asthmaJonathan Feldman; Fiscal Year: 2009..Parent measures will include asthma beliefs, family support, acculturation, and assessment of major depression and abridged somatization using the Composite International Diagnostic ..
- Adolescent Latino Sexual Behavior: More Reactive or Reasoned?FELISA GONZALES; Fiscal Year: 2012..on Latino adolescent sexual behavior;and 3) to examine whether and how risk images, maternal- adolescent acculturation gaps, and perceptions of discrimination contribute to Latino adolescents'willingness to engage in ..
- PS07-003, Minority HIV/AIDS Research Initiative (MARI)CARL DENNIS SNEED; Fiscal Year: 2010..b>Acculturation, ethnic identity, and generational status will be used to assess the role of culture in sexual health ..
- A Patient-Centered Strategy to Reduce Diabetes Disparities in Chinese AmericansSusan Ivey; Fiscal Year: 2009..for Chinese are higher in the US than in native countries, and rates have been demonstrated to increase with acculturation. Approximately 15% of Chinese are diagnosed with diabetes, ~ 2.5 times higher than in the general U.S...
- Exploring the Role of Race/Ethnicity & Family Influences to Reduce Youth SmokingE MELINDA MELINDA MAHABEE GITTENS; Fiscal Year: 2010..Ultimate influences include parental supervision and monitoring, family conflict, and acculturation. Examination of these influences will address our central hypothesis that racial/ethnic differences in smoking ..
- Role of English Fluency in Spanish Neuropsychological PerformancePaula Suarez; Fiscal Year: 2010..will explore whether bilingual advantages observed in our preliminary data are explained by socioeconomic and acculturation differences between bilinguals and monolinguals...
- OBESITY IN MEXICAN-AMERICAN CHILDRENJACQUELINE BLANK; Fiscal Year: 1992..Body Habitus Scale? 4) socioeconomic status as measured by Green's Socioeconomic Scale? 5) degree of maternal acculturation as measured by Acculturation Rating Scale for Mexican Americans? and 6) other select demographic variables ..
- Diet and Breast Density over Time in US Chinese WomenMarilyn Tseng; Fiscal Year: 2009..of lifestyle changes that occur in foreign-born, US Chinese women could contribute to our understanding of how acculturation-related factors, particularly in adulthood, affect breast cancer risk...
- Access to care in Asian Americans: Assessing determinants of usual source of careEVA CHANG; Fiscal Year: 2012..the need for systematic assessment of the intricate factors influencing health, especially those related to acculturation, or the long-term psychosocial and cultural effects of immigration...
- Mexican Americans: Family Caregivers ExperienceJo Nell Wells; Fiscal Year: 2004..informative theory of MA female family caregiving for persons with cancer; 3) examine associations among acculturation, perceptions of health status, mood state, and burden in MA female family caregivers; 4) compare and contrast ..
- Self, Health, and Life Satisfaction in Mexican AmericansTHEODORE SINGELIS; Fiscal Year: 2001..of previous findings relating possible selves to health-protective behaviors; 3) Examine the effects of acculturation on health locus of control, health-protective behaviors, and self-construal; 4) Determine the generalizability,..
- MEXICAN-ORIGIN CHILDREN'S HEALTH IN CULTURAL CONTEXTLauren Clark; Fiscal Year: 1999..Health advantages often erode with increasing levels of acculturation. Nurses working with Mexican-origin children and their families to maximize child health outcomes need a ..
- NATIONAL NETWORK FOR HISPANIC CANCER PREVENTIONAmelie Ramirez; Fiscal Year: 1999..There are relationships between acculturation and behavioral risks such as smoking or heavy drinking and a mix of positive and negative nutritional patterns...
- Latinos, Culture, and ObesityLisa Sanchez Johnsen; Fiscal Year: 2009..The purpose of this cross-sectional study is to explore the role of four cultural variables (acculturation, acculturative stress, ethnic identity, and cultural values) that may help to explain the ethnic disparities ..
- DRINKING, SEX AND HIV RISK AMONG BLACK ADOLESCENTSLee Strunin; Fiscal Year: 1993..after drinking, and whether the drinking behaviors and sexual behaviors of the adolescents are influenced by acculturation. The research will indicate whether specific cultural differences and extent of acculturation affect beliefs ..
- Life Stories for Black Youth: Exploring Cultural Heritage through StorytellingAmanda Harrell; Fiscal Year: 2009..g., stories from the Underground Railroad) and experiential (e.g., acculturation) stories in order to increase self-esteem and school engagement among Black students, as well as promote an ..