- Interpreting SF-36 summary health measures: a response
J E Ware
Quality Metric, Inc, Lincoln, RI 02865, USA
Qual Life Res 10:405-13; discussion 415-20. 2001
- Pulmonary Rehabilitation: Joint ACCP/AACVPR Evidence-Based Clinical Practice Guidelines
Andrew L Ries
University of California, San Diego, Department of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, UCSD Medical Center, 200 West Arbor Dr, San Diego, CA 92103 8377, USA
Chest 131:4S-42S. 2007
- Translation, validation, and norming of the Dutch language version of the SF-36 Health Survey in community and chronic disease populations
N K Aaronson
Division of Psychosocial Research and Epidemiology, The Netherlands Cancer Institute, Amsterdam
J Clin Epidemiol 51:1055-68. 1998
..On-going studies will generate data on the responsiveness of the SF-36 to within-group changes in health over time. Efforts are underway to translate and validate the questionnaire for use among ethnic minority groups in the Netherlands...
- Swedish population health-related quality of life results using the EQ-5D
Department of Public Health Sciences, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Qual Life Res 10:621-35. 2001
Health-related quality of life (HRQoL) measured on population level may be useful to guide policies for health...
- EQ-5D: a measure of health status from the EuroQol Group
Erasmus University Rotterdam, Centre for Health Policy and Law, The Netherlands
Ann Med 33:337-43. 2001
..EQ-5D has now been translated into most major languages with the EuroQol Group closely monitoring the process...
- A 4-year trial of tiotropium in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
Donald P Tashkin
David Geffen School of Medicine at the University of California, Los Angeles 90095 1690, USA
N Engl J Med 359:1543-54. 2008
..Previous studies showing that tiotropium improves multiple end points in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) led us to examine the long-term effects of tiotropium therapy...
- Interpretation of changes in health-related quality of life: the remarkable universality of half a standard deviation
Geoffrey R Norman
Program for Educational Research and Development, McMaster University, Hamilton, ON, Canada
Med Care 41:582-92. 2003
A number of studies have computed the minimally important difference (MID) for health-related quality of life instruments.
- Development and preliminary testing of the new five-level version of EQ-5D (EQ-5D-5L)
Insight Consulting and Research, 08301 Mataró, Spain
Qual Life Res 20:1727-36. 2011
..This article introduces the new 5-level EQ-5D (EQ-5D-5L) health status measure...
- American Thoracic Society/European Respiratory Society statement on pulmonary rehabilitation
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 173:1390-413. 2006
- Development and first validation of the COPD Assessment Test
P W Jones
St George s University of London, UK
Eur Respir J 34:648-54. 2009
..Current health-related quality of life questionnaires provide valid assessment of COPD, but are complex, which limits routine use...
- Bevacizumab plus irinotecan, fluorouracil, and leucovorin for metastatic colorectal cancer
Duke University, Durham, NC, USA
N Engl J Med 350:2335-42. 2004
..Bevacizumab, a monoclonal antibody against vascular endothelial growth factor, has shown promising preclinical and clinical activity against metastatic colorectal cancer, particularly in combination with chemotherapy...
- Principles of Good Practice for the Translation and Cultural Adaptation Process for Patient-Reported Outcomes (PRO) Measures: report of the ISPOR Task Force for Translation and Cultural Adaptation
Oxford Outcomes Ltd, Cassington, Oxford, UK
Value Health 8:94-104. 2005
In 1999, ISPOR formed the Quality of Life Special Interest group (QoL-SIG)--Translation and Cultural Adaptation group (TCA group) to stimulate discussion on and create guidelines and standards for the translation and cultural adaptation ..
- Survey of chronic pain in Europe: prevalence, impact on daily life, and treatment
University of Oslo, Faculty of Medicine, Faculty Division Rikshospitalet, Department of Anaesthesiology, Rikshospitalet University Hospital, Norway
Eur J Pain 10:287-333. 2006
..Forty percent had inadequate management of their pain. Interesting differences between countries were observed, possibly reflecting differences in cultural background and local traditions in managing chronic pain...
- PedsQL 4.0: reliability and validity of the Pediatric Quality of Life Inventory version 4.0 generic core scales in healthy and patient populations
J W Varni
Center for Child Health Outcomes, Children s Hospital and Health Center, San Diego, California, USA
Med Care 39:800-12. 2001
The PedsQL (Pediatric Quality of Life Inventory) (Children's Hospital and Health Center, San Diego, California) is a modular instrument for measuring health-related quality of life (HRQOL) in children and adolescents ages 2 to 18...
- The COSMIN checklist for assessing the methodological quality of studies on measurement properties of health status measurement instruments: an international Delphi study
Lidwine B Mokkink
Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics and the EMGO Institute for Health and Care Research, VU University Medical Center, Van der Boechorststraat 7, 1081 BT, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Qual Life Res 19:539-49. 2010
..We present the COSMIN checklist and the agreement of the panel on the items of the checklist...
- Quality of life and satisfaction with outcome among prostate-cancer survivors
Martin G Sanda
Departments of Surgery, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and Harvard Medical School, Harvard University, Boston, MA 02215, USA
N Engl J Med 358:1250-61. 2008
We sought to identify determinants of health-related quality of life after primary treatment of prostate cancer and to measure the effects of such determinants on satisfaction with the outcome of treatment in patients and their spouses ..
- The estimation of a preference-based measure of health from the SF-12
John E Brazier
Health Economics and Decision Science Group, School of Health and Related Research, University of Sheffield, Sheffield, United Kingdom
Med Care 42:851-9. 2004
The SF-12 is a multidimensional generic measure of health-related quality of life. It has become widely used in clinical trials and routine outcome assessment because of its brevity and psychometric performance, but it cannot be used in ..
- The World Health Organization's WHOQOL-BREF quality of life assessment: psychometric properties and results of the international field trial. A report from the WHOQOL group
S M Skevington
WHO Centre for the Study of Quality of Life, Department of Psychology, University of Bath, Bath, UK
Qual Life Res 13:299-310. 2004
b>Quality of life (QOL) assessments that are easily administered and which do not impose a great burden on the respondent are needed for use in large epidemiological surveys, clinical settings and clinical trials...
- Interpreting the significance of changes in health-related quality-of-life scores
British Columbia Cancer Agency and University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada
J Clin Oncol 16:139-44. 1998
To determine the significance to patients of changes in health-related quality-of-life (HLQ) scores assessed by the European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer (EORTC) Quality of Life Questionnaire (QLQ-C30).
- The development of a walkability index: application to the Neighborhood Quality of Life Study
L D Frank
School of Community and Regional Planning, University of British Columbia, 231 1933 West Mall, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada V6T 1Z2
Br J Sports Med 44:924-33. 2010
..Validity of the walkability index is examined through travel surveys among areas examined in the Neighborhood Quality of Life Study (NQLS), a study investigating built environment correlates of adults' physical activity.
- Causes and consequences of comorbidity: a review
National Institute of Public Health and the Environment, P O Box 1, 3720 BA, Bilthoven, The Netherlands
J Clin Epidemiol 54:661-74. 2001
..We found comorbidity in general to be associated with mortality, quality of life, and health care. The consequences of specific disease combinations, however, depended on many factors...
- Physical activity in patients with COPD
Pulmonary Research Institute Hospital Grosshansdorf, Center for Pneumology and Thoracic Surgery, Woehrendamm 80, Grosshansdorf, Germany
Eur Respir J 33:262-72. 2009
..Clinical characteristics of patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease only incompletely reflect their physical activity...
- Managing multiple chronic conditions: a strategic framework for improving health outcomes and quality of life
Anand K Parekh
U S Department of Health and Human Serivices, Office of the Assistant Secretary for Health, 200 Independence Ave SW, Washington, DC 20201, USA
Public Health Rep 126:460-71. 2011
..outlines national strategies for maximizing care coordination and for improving health and quality of life for individuals with MCC...
- Development, validity and responsiveness of the Clinical COPD Questionnaire
Thys van der Molen
Department of General Practice, University of Groningen, Groningen, The Netherlands
Health Qual Life Outcomes 1:13. 2003
..So far no validated questionnaires are available to measure symptom and functional state in daily clinical practice. The aim of this study was to develop and validate the Clinical COPD Questionnaire (CCQ)...
- [Measuring the quality of life in economic evaluations: the Dutch EQ-5D tariff]
L M Lamers
Instituut Beleid en Management Gezondheidszorg, Erasmus MC, Postbus 1738, 3000 DR Rotterdam
Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd 149:1574-8. 2005
..To value EQ-5D health states by a general Dutch public. EQ-5D is a standardised questionnaire that is used to calculate quality-adjusted life-years for cost-utility analysis...
- The Hospital Anxiety And Depression Scale
R Philip Snaith
Senior Lecturer in Psychiatry, University of Leeds, 21 Gledhow Wood Road, Leeds LS8 4BW, UK
Health Qual Life Outcomes 1:29. 2003
..It should be emphasised that self-assessment scales are only valid for screening purposes; definitive diagnosis must rest on the process of clinical examination...
- Physical activity level and health-related quality of life in the general adult population: a systematic review
Centre for Health Promotion Studies, School of Public Health, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada
Prev Med 45:401-15. 2007
Little is known regarding health-related quality of life and its relation with physical activity level in the general population. Our primary objective was to systematically review data examining this relationship.
- Integrating response shift into health-related quality of life research: a theoretical model
M A Sprangers
Department of Medical Psychology, Academic Hospital Amsterdam, University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Soc Sci Med 48:1507-15. 1999
..process is 'response shift' which involves changing internal standards, values and the conceptualization of quality of life (QOL)...
- Comparison of the minimally important difference for two health state utility measures: EQ-5D and SF-6D
Stephen J Walters
Health Economics and Decision Science, School of Health and Related Research, University of Sheffield, UK
Qual Life Res 14:1523-32. 2005
..Empirical work is required to determine what the smallest change is in utility scores that can be regarded as important and whether this change in utility value is constant across measures and conditions...
- Interim scoring for the EQ-5D-5L: mapping the EQ-5D-5L to EQ-5D-3L value sets
Ben van Hout
University of Sheffield, Sheffield, UK
Value Health 15:708-15. 2012
..The objective of this study was to develop values sets for the EQ-5D-5L by means of a mapping ("crosswalk") approach to the currently available three-level version of the EQ-5D (EQ-5D-3L) values sets...
- The impact of non-motor symptoms on health-related quality of life of patients with Parkinson's disease
Area of Applied Epidemiology, National Centre of Epidemiology and CIBERNED, Carlos III Institute of Health, Madrid, Spain
Mov Disord 26:399-406. 2011
Non-motor symptoms are detrimental to health-related quality of life (HRQoL) of Parkinson's disease patients...
- Properties of the COPD assessment test in a cross-sectional European study
P W Jones
Division of Clinical Science, St George s University of London, Cranmer Terrace, London SW17 0RE, UK
Eur Respir J 38:29-35. 2011
..8, p<0.0001). The CAT is a simple and easy-to-use questionnaire that distinguishes between patients of different degrees of COPD severity and appears to behave the same way across countries...
- Self-esteem and quality of life in obese children and adolescents: a systematic review
Lucy J Griffiths
MRC Centre of Epidemiology for Child Health, UCL Institute of Child Health, London, UK l griffi
Int J Pediatr Obes 5:282-304. 2010
..However, none have examined how this affects multi-component assessments of self-esteem and quality of life in young people with defined obesity...
- Effect of telehealth on quality of life and psychological outcomes over 12 months (Whole Systems Demonstrator telehealth questionnaire study): nested study of patient reported outcomes in a pragmatic, cluster randomised controlled trial
School of Health Sciences, City University London, London EC1A 7QN, UK
BMJ 346:f653. 2013
To assess the effect of second generation, home based telehealth on health related quality of life, anxiety, and depressive symptoms over 12 months in patients with long term conditions.
- The Dutch tariff: results and arguments for an effective design for national EQ-5D valuation studies
L M Lamers
Institute for Medical Technology Assessment, Erasmus University Medical Center, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Health Econ 15:1121-32. 2006
..The mean absolute error was 0.030. The design of this study is recommended for national EQ-5D valuation studies...
- The World Oral Health Report 2003: continuous improvement of oral health in the 21st century--the approach of the WHO Global Oral Health Programme
Poul Erik Petersen
World Health Organization, Oral Health Programme, Noncommunicable Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, 20 Avenue Appia, 1211 Geneva 27, Switzerland
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 31:3-23. 2003
..The severe impact in terms of pain and suffering, impairment of function and effect on quality of life must also be considered...
- The PedsQL 4.0 as a pediatric population health measure: feasibility, reliability, and validity
James W Varni
Department of Landscape Architecture and Urban Planning, College of Architecture and the Department of Pediatrics, Texas A and M University, College Station, TX 77843, USA
Ambul Pediatr 3:329-41. 2003
The application of health-related quality of life (HRQOL) as a pediatric population health measure may facilitate risk assessment and resource allocation, the tracking of community health, the identification of health disparities, and ..
- Health-related quality of life of severely obese children and adolescents
Jeffrey B Schwimmer
Division of Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology, and Nutrition, School of Medicine, University of California, San Diego 92103, USA
JAMA 289:1813-9. 2003
One in 7 US children and adolescents is obese, yet little is known about their health-related quality of life (QOL).
- Superior cardiovascular effect of aerobic interval training versus moderate continuous training in heart failure patients: a randomized study
Department of Circulation and Medical Imaging, Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Olav Kyrres gt 9, 7489 Trondheim, Norway
Circulation 115:3086-94. 2007
..Our objective was to compare training programs with moderate versus high exercise intensity with regard to variables associated with cardiovascular function and prognosis in patients with postinfarction heart failure...
- Monitoring depression treatment outcomes with the patient health questionnaire-9
Department of General Internal and Psychosomatic Medicine, Heidelberg University Medical Center, D 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
Med Care 42:1194-201. 2004
..We investigated responsiveness to treatment, reproducibility, and minimal clinically important difference of the Patient Health Questionnaire-9 (PHQ-9), a standard instrument for diagnosing depression in primary care...
- Long-term mortality and quality of life in sepsis: a systematic review
Bradford D Winters
Departments of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine and Surgery, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD, USA
Crit Care Med 38:1276-83. 2010
..sepsis are poorly understood, and sepsis in patients may have different long-term effects on mortality and quality of life. Long-term outcome studies of other critical illnesses such as acute lung injury have demonstrated ..
- The effect of obesity on health outcomes
John B Dixon
School of Primary Health Care, Monash University, Melbourne, Australia
Mol Cell Endocrinol 316:104-8. 2010
..Obesity has a clearly measurable impact on physical and mental health, health related quality of life, and generates considerable direct and indirect costs...
- A model of equivalence in the cultural adaptation of HRQoL instruments: the universalist approach
Catalan Institute of Public Health, Universitat de Barcelona, Spain
Qual Life Res 7:323-35. 1998
The health-related quality of life (HRQoL) literature presents a confused picture of what 'equivalence' in the cross-cultural use of HRQoL questionnaires means and how it can be assessed...
- Effects of n-3 fatty acids, EPA v. DHA, on depressive symptoms, quality of life, memory and executive function in older adults with mild cognitive impairment: a 6-month randomised controlled trial
School of Health Sciences, Sansom Institute for Health Research, Nutritional Physiology Research Centre, University of South Australia, GPO Box 2471, Adelaide, SA 5001, Australia
Br J Nutr 107:1682-93. 2012
..was to investigate the benefits of supplementing a diet with n-3 PUFA, DHA and EPA, for depressive symptoms, quality of life (QOL) and cognition in elderly people with MCI...
- Mid-arm muscle circumference and quality of life and survival in maintenance hemodialysis patients
Harold Simmons Center for Chronic Disease Research and Epidemiology, Los Angeles Biomedical Research Institute at Harbor UCLA Medical Center, Torrance, CA 90502, USA
Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 5:2258-68. 2010
..We hypothesized that mid-arm muscle circumference (MAMC), a conveniently measured surrogate of lean body mass (LBM), has stronger association with clinical outcomes than triceps skinfold (TSF), a surrogate of fat mass...
- The Knee injury and Osteoarthritis Outcome Score (KOOS): from joint injury to osteoarthritis
Ewa M Roos
Department of Orthopaedics, Lund University Hospital, SE 221 85 Lund, Sweden
Health Qual Life Outcomes 1:64. 2003
..Symptoms, Function in daily living (ADL), Function in Sport and Recreation (Sport/Rec), and knee-related Quality of Life (QOL)...
- The Short Form Health Survey (SF-36): translation and validation study of the Iranian version
Iranian Institute for Health Sciences Research, Tehran, Iran
Qual Life Res 14:875-82. 2005
..to develop and validate the Iranian version of the Short Form Health Survey (SF-36) for use in health related quality of life assessment in Iran. A culturally comparable questionnaire was developed and pilot tested...
- Exercise-based rehabilitation for patients with coronary heart disease: systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials
Rod S Taylor
Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, University of Birmingham, Birmingham, United Kingdom
Am J Med 116:682-92. 2004
..To review the effectiveness of exercise-based cardiac rehabilitation in patients with coronary heart disease...
- Quality of life and diabetes
R R Rubin
Department of Medicine, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD, USA
Diabetes Metab Res Rev 15:205-18. 1999
b>Quality of life is an important health outcome in its own right, representing the ultimate goal of all health interventions...
- Estimation of minimally important differences in EQ-5D utility and VAS scores in cancer
A Simon Pickard
Center for Pharmacoeconomic Research, Department of Pharmacy Practice, College of Pharmacy, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, USA
Health Qual Life Outcomes 5:70. 2007
..The aim of this study was to provide a range of estimates of minimally important differences (MIDs) in EQ-5D scores in cancer and to determine if estimates are comparable in lung cancer...
- Ferric carboxymaltose in patients with heart failure and iron deficiency
Stefan D Anker
Department of Cardiology, Campus Virchow Klinikum, Charite Universitatsmedizin, Berlin
N Engl J Med 361:2436-48. 2009
- Phase III study of docetaxel and cisplatin plus fluorouracil compared with cisplatin and fluorouracil as first-line therapy for advanced gastric cancer: a report of the V325 Study Group
Eric Van Cutsem
University Hospital Gasthuisberg, Leuven, Belgium
J Clin Oncol 24:4991-7. 2006
- The unacknowledged impact of chronic schistosomiasis
Charles H King
Center for Global Health and Diseases, Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine 10900 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, Ohio 44106 7286, USA
Chronic Illn 4:65-79. 2008
- Depressive symptoms and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: effect on mortality, hospital readmission, symptom burden, functional status, and quality of life
Tze Pin Ng
Gerontological Research Programme, Faculty of Medicine, National University of Singapore, Singapore
Arch Intern Med 167:60-7. 2007
..We evaluated the impact of comorbid depression on mortality, hospital readmission, smoking behavior, respiratory symptom burden, and physical and social functioning in patients with COPD...
- A randomized, controlled trial of surgery for temporal-lobe epilepsy
Department of Clinical Neurological Sciences, University of Western Ontario, and London Health Sciences Centre, Canada
N Engl J Med 345:311-8. 2001
..We conducted a randomized, controlled trial to assess the efficacy and safety of surgery for temporal-lobe epilepsy...
- Disability, HRQoL and resource use among chronic and episodic migraineurs: results from the International Burden of Migraine Study (IBMS)
A M Blumenfeld
The Neurology Center, 320 Santa Fe Drive, Encinitas, CA 92024, USA
Cephalalgia 31:301-15. 2011
..In this study, we compared episodic to chronic migraine sufferers to determine if migraine status predicted headache-related disability, health-related quality of life (HRQoL) and health care resource utilization.
- Cognitive impairment and preferences for current health
Joseph T King
Section of Neurosurgery, VA Connecticut Healthcare System, West Haven, Connecticut, USA
Health Qual Life Outcomes 7:1. 2009
- Sunitinib versus interferon alfa in metastatic renal-cell carcinoma
Robert J Motzer
Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY 10021, USA
N Engl J Med 356:115-24. 2007
..Since sunitinib malate has shown activity in two uncontrolled studies in patients with metastatic renal-cell carcinoma, a comparison of the drug with interferon alfa in a phase 3 trial is warranted...
- Size and burden of mental disorders in Europe--a critical review and appraisal of 27 studies
Hans Ulrich Wittchen
Clinical Psychology and Psychotherapy, Technical University of Dresden, Dresden, Germany
Eur Neuropsychopharmacol 15:357-76. 2005
..These needs are most pronounced for the new EU member states as well as more generally for adolescent and older populations...
- The Patient-Reported Outcomes Measurement Information System (PROMIS) developed and tested its first wave of adult self-reported health outcome item banks: 2005-2008
Medical Social Sciences, Northwestern University, 710 North Lakeshore Drive, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
J Clin Epidemiol 63:1179-94. 2010
..We report results from the first large-scale testing of PROMIS items...
- Health promoting outdoor environments--associations between green space, and health, health-related quality of life and stress based on a Danish national representative survey
Ulrika K Stigsdotter
Forest and Landscape Denmark, University of Copenhagen, Denmark
Scand J Public Health 38:411-7. 2010
To investigate the associations between green space and health, health-related quality of life and stress, respectively.
- Methodological approaches for assessing response shift in longitudinal health-related quality-of-life research
C E Schwartz
Frontier Science and Technology Research Foundation Inc, Chestnut Hill, MA 02467, USA
Soc Sci Med 48:1531-48. 1999
The impact of health state changes on an individual's quality of life (QOL) has gained increased attention in social and medical clinical research...
- Valuing the ICECAP capability index for older people
University of Birmingham, Department of Health Economics, Public Health Building, Birmingham B15 2TT, UK
Soc Sci Med 67:874-82. 2008
..The ICECAP index of capability for older people focuses on quality of life rather than health or other influences on quality of life, and is intended to be used in decision making ..
- Factors that influence disease-specific quality of life or health status in patients with COPD: a review and meta-analysis of Pearson correlations
University Medical Center, University of Groningen, Groningen, The Netherlands
Prim Care Respir J 20:257-68. 2011
A major goal in the management of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) is to ensure that the burden of the disease for patients with COPD is limited and that patients will have the best possible quality of life.
- The KIDSCREEN-52 quality of life measure for children and adolescents: psychometric results from a cross-cultural survey in 13 European countries
School of Public Health, WHO Collaborating Center for Child and Adolescent Health Promotion, University of Bielefeld, Germany
Value Health 11:645-58. 2008
This study assesses the reliability and validity of the European KIDSCREEN-52 generic health-related quality of life (HRQoL) questionnaire for children and adolescents.
- Prevalence and impact on quality of life of peripheral neuropathy with or without neuropathic pain in type 1 and type 2 diabetic patients attending hospital outpatients clinics
K Van Acker
Department of Endocrinology, St Jozef Clinic, Bornem, Belgium
Diabetes Metab 35:206-13. 2009
..The association of DPN and DPN-P with other diabetic complications, the impact on quality of life (QoL) and pain management were also investigated.
- Effects of testosterone on muscle strength, physical function, body composition, and quality of life in intermediate-frail and frail elderly men: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study
Andrology Research Unit, Department of Medicine and Endocrinology, University of Manchester, Manchester Royal Infirmary, Grafton Street, Manchester, United Kingdom M13 9WL
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 95:639-50. 2010
Physical frailty is associated with reduced muscle strength, impaired physical function, and quality of life. Testosterone (T) increases muscle mass and strength in hypogonadal patients...
- Clinical, quality of life, and economic value of acromegaly disease control
Pituitary Center, Department of Medicine, Cedars Sinai Medical Center, 110 George Burns Rd, Los Angeles, CA, 90048, USA
Pituitary 14:284-94. 2011
Although acromegaly is a rare disease, the clinical, economic and health-related quality of life (HRQoL) burden is considerable due to the broad spectrum of comorbidities as well as the need for lifelong management...
- Psoriatic arthritis: epidemiology, clinical features, course, and outcome
D D Gladman
University of Toronto, Toronto Western Research Institute, Psoriatic Arthritis Program, Toronto Western Hospital, Toronto, Ontario M5T 2S8, Canada
Ann Rheum Dis 64:ii14-7. 2005
..In addition to progression of clinical and radiological damage, health related quality of life is reduced among patients with PsA...
- Health-related quality of life in total hip and total knee arthroplasty. A qualitative and systematic review of the literature
WHO Collaborating Center for Public Health Aspects of Osteoarticular Diseases, Department of Public Health, Epidemiology, and Health Economics, University of Liege, Belgium, Liege, Belgium
J Bone Joint Surg Am 86:963-74. 2004
..The objective of this study was to review the literature regarding the outcomes of total hip and knee arthroplasties as evaluated by health-related quality-of-life instruments...
- Collaborative care management of late-life depression in the primary care setting: a randomized controlled trial
Center for Health Services Research, UCLA Neuropsychiatric Institute, 10920 Wilshire Blvd, Suite 300, Los Angeles, CA 90024, USA
JAMA 288:2836-45. 2002
..Few depressed older adults receive effective treatment in primary care settings...
- Normalization of hemoglobin level in patients with chronic kidney disease and anemia
Tilman B Drueke
Inserm Unité 507 and Assistance Publique Hôpitaux de Paris, Necker Hospital, Division of Nephrology, Paris, France
N Engl J Med 355:2071-84. 2006
..Whether correction of anemia in patients with stage 3 or 4 chronic kidney disease improves cardiovascular outcomes is not established...
- Multi-institutional randomized phase II trial of gefitinib for previously treated patients with advanced non-small-cell lung cancer (The IDEAL 1 Trial) [corrected]
Fourth Department of Internal Medicine, Kinki University School of Medicine, 377 2 Ohnohigashi Osakasayama, Osaka 589, Japan
J Clin Oncol 21:2237-46. 2003
- The RAND-36 measure of health-related quality of life
R D Hays
UCLA Department of Medicine, UCLA School of Medicine, 90095 1736, USA
Ann Med 33:350-7. 2001
The RAND-36 is perhaps the most widely used health-related quality of life (HRQoL) survey instrument in the world today...
- The Health Education Impact Questionnaire (heiQ): an outcomes and evaluation measure for patient education and self-management interventions for people with chronic conditions
Richard H Osborne
Centre for Rheumatic Diseases, Department of Medicine, The University of Melbourne, Royal Melbourne Hospital, Parkville, Melbourne, Victoria 3050, Australia
Patient Educ Couns 66:192-201. 2007
..The aim was to develop a user-friendly, relevant, and psychometrically sound instrument for the comprehensive evaluation of patient education programs, which can be applied across a broad range of chronic conditions...
- Humanistic and economic impacts of hepatitis C infection in the United States
Marco daCosta Dibonaventura
Health Sciences Practice, Kantar Health, New York, NY 10010, USA
J Med Econ 13:709-18. 2010
Prior research examining the effect of hepatitis C virus (HCV) on health-related quality of life (HRQoL) and healthcare costs is flawed because non-patient controls were not adequately comparable to HCV patients...
- The 15D instrument of health-related quality of life: properties and applications
Department of Public Health, University of Helsinki, Finland
Ann Med 33:328-36. 2001
The 15D is a generic, comprehensive, 15-dimensional, standardized, self-administered measure of health-related quality of life (HRQoL) that can be used both as a profile and single index score measure...
- The Assessment of Quality of Life (AQoL) instrument: a psychometric measure of health-related quality of life
Department of Public Health and Community Medicine, University of Melbourne, Australia
Qual Life Res 8:209-24. 1999
This paper describes constructing the Assessment of Quality of Life (AQoL) instrument; designed to measure health-related quality of life (HRQoL), and to be the descriptive system for a multi-attribute utility instrument...
- Changes in neuronal activation patterns in response to androgen deprivation therapy: a pilot study
Monique M Cherrier
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
BMC Cancer 10:1. 2010
..However, men undergoing ADT may experience physical side effects, changes in quality of life and sometimes psychiatric and cognitive side effects.
- Health-related quality of life associated with chronic conditions in eight countries: results from the International Quality of Life Assessment (IQOLA) Project
Health Services Research Unit, Institut Municipal d Investigacio Medica IMIM IMAS, Barcelona, Spain
Qual Life Res 13:283-98. 2004
Few studies and no international comparisons have examined the impact of multiple chronic conditions on populations using a comprehensive health-related quality of life (HRQL) questionnaire.
- Parent-child agreement across child health-related quality of life instruments: a review of the literature
Department of Psychology and Health Sciences, University of Worcester, Worcester WR2 6AJ, UK
Qual Life Res 17:895-913. 2008
To systematically review the literature published since 1999 on paediatric health-related quality of life (HRQL) in relation to parent-child agreement.
- A pilot study of yoga for breast cancer survivors: physical and psychological benefits
S Nicole Culos-Reed
Faculty of Kinesiology, University of Calgary, Calgary, Canada
Psychooncology 15:891-7. 2006
..g. fatigue, nausea), and improving overall well-being and quality of life. The purpose of the present pilot study was to examine the physical and psychological benefits afforded by a ..
- Association of Malnutrition-Inflammation Score with quality of life and mortality in hemodialysis patients: a 5-year prospective cohort study
Harold Simmons Center for Kidney Disease Research and Epidemiology, CA, USA
Am J Kidney Dis 53:298-309. 2009
..We hypothesized that MIS risk stratification of hemodialysis (HD) patients in predicting outcomes is better than its components or laboratory markers of inflammation...
- Effectiveness of behavioral techniques and physical exercise on psychosocial functioning and health-related quality of life in breast cancer patients and survivors--a meta-analysis
Saskia F A Duijts
Division of Psychosocial Research and Epidemiology, The Netherlands Cancer Institute, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Psychooncology 20:115-26. 2011
To evaluate the effect of behavioral techniques and physical exercise on psychosocial functioning and health-related quality of life (HRQoL) outcomes in breast cancer patients and survivors.
- Effects of the calcimimetic cinacalcet HCl on cardiovascular disease, fracture, and health-related quality of life in secondary hyperparathyroidism
University College London, The Middlesex Hospital, London, UK
Kidney Int 68:1793-800. 2005
..Cinacalcet, a calcimimetic that modulates the calcium-sensing receptor, reduces parathyroid hormone (PTH) secretion and lowers serum calcium and phosphorus concentrations in patients with end-stage renal disease (ESRD) and secondary HPT...
- A longitudinal study on quality of life and depression in ALS patient-caregiver couples
Dipartimento di Neuroscienze, University of Torino, Torino, Italy
Neurology 68:923-6. 2007
To evaluate the modification of quality of life (QoL) and depression in a series of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) patient-caregiver couples during a period of 9 months and compare them to patients' ALS Functional Rating Scale (ALS-..
- Assessing quality of life in older adults with cognitive impairment
Rebecca G Logsdon
Department of Psychosocial and Community Health, University of Washington School of Nursing, Seattle, Washington 98195 8733, USA
Psychosom Med 64:510-9. 2002
This article discusses theoretical, psychometric, and practical considerations of quality of life assessment in older adults with cognitive impairment...
- Musculoskeletal pain in the workforce: the effects of back, arthritis, and fibromyalgia pain on quality of life and work productivity
Pfizer Inc, New York, NY, USA
J Occup Environ Med 53:765-70. 2011
To investigate the impact of musculoskeletal pain on health-related quality of life and work productivity losses among US workers.
- Evidence-based guidelines for determination of sample size and interpretation of the European Organisation for the Research and Treatment of Cancer Quality of Life Questionnaire Core 30
Clinical Trials Research Unit, University of Leeds, United Kingdom, LS2 9JT
J Clin Oncol 29:89-96. 2011
PURPOSE; To use published literature to estimate large, medium, and small differences in quality of life (QOL) data from the European Organisation for the Research and Treatment of Cancer Quality of Life Questionnaire Core 30 (EORTC QLQ-..
- Comparison of health-related quality of life measures in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
A Simon Pickard
Center for Pharmacoeconomic Research and Department of Pharmacy Practice, University of Illinois at Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Health Qual Life Outcomes 9:26. 2011
..e., EQ-5D and SF-36); and (2), to evaluate the strength of associations among clinical and health-related quality of life (HRQL) measures in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD).
- Impact of medical Qigong on quality of life, fatigue, mood and inflammation in cancer patients: a randomized controlled trial
Department of Medicine, Concord Repatriation General Hospital, University of Sydney, Concord, New South Wales, Australia
Ann Oncol 21:608-14. 2010
..This study aimed to evaluate in a randomized controlled trial, the use of Medical Qigong (MQ) compared with usual care to improve the quality of life (QOL) of cancer patients.
- Nonpharmacological therapies in Alzheimer's disease: a systematic review of efficacy
Maria Wolff Foundation, Madrid, Spain
Dement Geriatr Cogn Disord 30:161-78. 2010
Nonpharmacological therapies (NPTs) can improve the quality of life (QoL) of people with Alzheimer's disease (AD) and their carers...
- Randomized controlled trial of yoga among a multiethnic sample of breast cancer patients: effects on quality of life
Alyson B Moadel
Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Department of Epidemiology and Population Health, Bronx, NY 10461, USA
J Clin Oncol 25:4387-95. 2007
This study examines the impact of yoga, including physical poses, breathing, and meditation exercises, on quality of life (QOL), fatigue, distressed mood, and spiritual well-being among a multiethnic sample of breast cancer patients.
- Subthalamic nucleus deep brain stimulation: summary and meta-analysis of outcomes
Parkinson s Disease Research Education and Clinical Center, Philadelphia VA Hospital, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
Mov Disord 21:S290-304. 2006
..Patient demographics, reduction in medication requirements, change in dyskinesia, daily offs, quality of life, and a ratio of postoperative improvement from stimulation compared to preoperative improvement by medication ..
- Determining clinically important differences in health status measures: a general approach with illustration to the Health Utilities Index Mark II
Center for Clinical Health Policy Research, Duke University School of Medicine, Durham, North Carolina, USA
Pharmacoeconomics 15:141-55. 1999
..This makes interpretation of HR-QOL results from clinical trials difficult, and having a benchmarking process which is relatively straightforward would be highly desirable...
- The use of patient reported outcome measures in routine clinical practice: lack of impact or lack of theory?
Health Care Practice R and D Unit, Allerton Building, University of Salford, Salford M6 6PU, UK
Soc Sci Med 60:833-43. 2005
..why the use of patient-reported outcome (PRO) measures in clinical practice, in particular, health-related quality of life (HRQoL) instruments, has little or no apparent influence on clinical decision making...
- Transitional care of older adults hospitalized with heart failure: a randomized, controlled trial
Mary D Naylor
Gerontological Nursing Science Center, School of Nursing, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
J Am Geriatr Soc 52:675-84. 2004
..To examine the effectiveness of a transitional care intervention delivered by advanced practice nurses (APNs) to elders hospitalized with heart failure...
- Health-related quality of life of medical students
Helena B M S Paro
Department of Health Sciences, Federal University of Uberlandia, Uberlandia, Minas Gerais, Brazil
Med Educ 44:227-35. 2010
..It has been speculated that these problems impair students' quality of life (QoL)...
- Persisting consequences of stroke measured by the Stroke Impact Scale
Sue Min Lai
Department of Preventive Medicine, University of Kansas Medical Center, Kansas City, KS 66160 7313, USA
Stroke 33:1840-4. 2002
The purpose of this study was to compare disability and quality of life as measured by the Stroke Impact Scale (SIS) of stroke patients deemed recovered (Barthel Index > or =95) with 2 stroke-free populations of community-dwelling ..
- Health-related quality of life in 640 head and neck cancer survivors after radiotherapy using EORTC QLQ-C30 and QLQ-H&N35 questionnaires
Stephen Wan Leung
Kaohsiung Medical Center, Chang Gung University College of Medicine, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
BMC Cancer 11:128. 2011
..RT), many patients with head and neck cancer (HNC) can be effectively cured, and their health-related quality of life (HR-QoL) has become an important issue...
- The Functional Assessment of Chronic Illness Therapy (FACIT) Measurement System: properties, applications, and interpretation
Center on Outcomes, Research and Education, Evanston Northwestern Healthcare and Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Evanston, Illinois, United States
Health Qual Life Outcomes 1:79. 2003
..Functional Assessment of Chronic Illness Therapy (FACIT) Measurement System is a collection of health-related quality of life (HRQOL) questionnaires targeted to the management of chronic illness...