Summary: The level of governmental organization and function at the national or country-wide level.
Publications252 found, 100 shown here
- Government and private insurance medical programs as well as MDVIP, an updateRichard F Edlich
Research Program, Department of Plastic Surgery, University of Virginia Health System, Charlottsville, Virginia, USA
J Long Term Eff Med Implants 14:243-50. 2004..Medicare Part B, however, must be paid by the individual through premiums to the Federal government. Medicare Part B medical insurance pays for doctors' services, outpatient services, and some other services ..
- The relation between funding by the National Institutes of Health and the burden of diseaseC P Gross
Robert Wood Johnson Clinical Scholars Program, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, USA
N Engl J Med 340:1881-7. 1999..The Institute of Medicine has proposed that the amount of disease-specific research funding provided by the National Institutes of Health (NIH) be systematically and consistently compared with the burden of disease for society...
- The President's Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief in Africa: an evaluation of outcomesEran Bendavid
Stanford University, Stanford, California, USA
Ann Intern Med 150:688-95. 2009..Since 2003, the President's Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR) has been the most ambitious initiative to address the global HIV epidemic. However, the effect of PEPFAR on HIV-related outcomes is unknown...
- Delivery of child health services in Indigenous communities: implications for the federal government's emergency intervention in the Northern TerritoryRoss S Bailie
Menzies School of Health Research, Institute of Advanced Studies, Charles Darwin University, Darwin, NT, Australia
Med J Aust 188:615-8. 2008..To describe delivery of child health services in Australian Aboriginal communities, and to identify gaps in services required to improve the health of Aboriginal children...
- Evaluation of reporting timeliness of public health surveillance systems for infectious diseasesRuth Ann Jajosky
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Epidemiology Program Office, Division of Public Health Surveillance and Informatics, Surveillance Systems Branch, Atlanta, Georgia, 30333, USA
BMC Public Health 4:29. 2004....
- Three meanings of capacity; or, why the federal government is most likely to lead on insurance access issuesJoseph White
Center for Policy Studies, Case Western Reserve University, USA
J Health Polit Policy Law 28:217-44. 2003This essay considers on what health policy issues the federal government is best able to lead. Positive leadership requires knowledge, power, and will...
- President's emergency plan for AIDS relief: health development at the crossroadsLawrence O Gostin
O Neill Institute for National and Global Health Law, Georgetown University, Washington, DC 20001, USA
JAMA 300:2046-8. 2008
- A review of the federal government's health activities in response to asbestos-contaminated ore found in Libby, MontanaKevin Horton
Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry, Division of Health Studies, Surveillance and Registries Branch, Atlanta, Georgia 30333, USA
Inhal Toxicol 18:925-40. 2006..This article presents the various follow-up activities that have been conducted to date by ATSDR and partnering state health departments...
- The President's Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief--is the emergency over?Wafaa M El-Sadr
International Center for AIDS Care and Treatment Programs and Mailman School of Public Health, Columbia University, New York, USA
N Engl J Med 359:553-5. 2008
- Local public health agency funding: money begets moneyPatrick Michael Bernet
Florida Atlantic University College of Business, Boca Raton, FL 33431, USA
J Public Health Manag Pract 13:188-93. 2007....
- A comparison of smoking control strategies in Korea and the United StatesChung Yul Lee
Nursing Policy Research Institute, College of Nursing, Yonsei University, Seoul 120 752, Korea
Taehan Kanho Hakhoe Chi 34:1379-87. 2004..The data were collected through various governmental websites, contact with people directly, and a literature review. Based on the comparison, seven recommendations for smoking control strategies were made primarily for Korea...
- Weighing the success of a national Alzheimer's disease service demonstrationRhonda J V Montgomery
Gerontology Center, University of Kansas, Dole Human Development Center, Lawrence 66045 7555, USA
J Aging Soc Policy 14:119-39. 2002....
- Bush won't budge. Citizens' group report on improving coverage rejectedMatthew DoBias
Mod Healthc 37:8-10. 2007
- Creating financial transparency in public health: examining best practices of system partnersPeggy A Honoré
Mississippi Department of Health, Jackson, MS 39215, USA
J Public Health Manag Pract 13:121-9. 2007..Recommendations are offered on the basis of these findings to aid public health to close this gap by framing a movement toward transparency...
- Building preparedness by improving fiscal accountabilityKathy Hebert
Leonard J Chabert Medical Center, Houma, Louisiana, USA
J Public Health Manag Pract 13:200-1. 2007
- Who gets how much: funding formulas in federal public health programsJames W Buehler
Department of Epidemiology, Center for Public Health Preparedness and Research, Rollins School of Public Health, Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia 30322, USA
J Public Health Manag Pract 13:151-5. 2007..A public health finance research agenda should address ways to improve the fit between funding allocation formulas and program objectives...
- Populations and the law: the changing scope of health policyDaniel M Fox
J Law Med Ethics 31:607-14. 2003
- It's time for mental health parity. Congress set to pass some form of measure to redress disparities in coverageJerry Reed
Suicide Prevention Action Network USA, Washington, USA
Mod Healthc 37:22. 2007
- Bargaining with Hippocrates: managed care and the doctor-patient relationshipTimothy S Hall
Louis D Brandeis School of Law, University of Louisville, USA
S C Law Rev 54:689-740. 2003
- A comprehensive national policy to stop human cloning: an analysis of the Human Cloning Prohibition Act of 2001 with recommendations for federal and state legislaturesShawn E Peterson
Notre Dame Law School, USA
Notre Dame J Law Ethics Public Policy 17:217-68. 2003
- 2004: a federal and state health odysseyMary K Wakefield
Center for Rural Health, Grand Forks, ND, USA
Nurs Econ 22:47-8. 2004
- State health policy for terrorism preparednessLeah Z Ziskin
New Jersey Center for Public Health Preparedness, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, New Brunswick, NJ 08903 2688, USA
Am J Public Health 97:1583-8. 2007....
- Gonzales v. Raich: federalism as a casualty of the war on drugsIlya Somin
George Mason University School of Law, USA
Cornell J Law Public Policy 15:507-50. 2006
- Washington Insider: Congressional impasse on human cloningRichard M Doerflinger
Secretariat for Pro Life Activities, United States Conference of Catholic Bishops, Washington, DC, USA
Natl Cathol Bioeth Q 4:19-25. 2004
- Embryonic stem cell research: will President Bush's limitation on federal funding put the United States at a disadvantage? A comparison between U.S. and international lawDenise Stevens
Houst J Int Law 25:623-53. 2003
- Rights of embryo and foetus in private lawTimothy Stoltzfus Jost
Washington and Lee University School of Law, USA
Am J Comp Law 50:633-46. 2002
- Cloning Californians? Report of the California Advisory Committee on Human Cloning and recent cloning-related legislationMaria S Quintero
Santa Clara University School of Law, USA
Santa Clara Comput High Technol Law J 18:417-31. 2002
- Unmanaged care: towards moral fairness in health care coverageSharona Hoffman
Case Western Reserve University School of Law, USA
Indiana Law J 78:659-721. 2003..This Article suggests an analytical framework that can be utilized to determine which interventions are appropriate and evaluates a variety of means by which moral fairness could be promoted in the arena of health care coverage...
- Refining estimates of public health spending as measured in national health expenditures accounts: the United States experienceArthur L Sensenig
National Health Statistics Group, Office of the Actuary, Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, US Department of Health and Human Services, USA
J Public Health Manag Pract 13:103-14. 2007....
- Refusal clause seen as threat to reproductive health, gag on informationKim Krisberg
Nations Health 35:1, 10. 2005
- Embryonic stem cell research controversy: focus on the private sector and international sphereSylvia Kim
University of California, Hastings College of Law, USA
Hastings Womens Law J 14:89-108. 2003
- Creating human embryos for research: a scientist's perspective on managing the legal and ethical issuesEmilie W Clemmens
Forum on Science Ethics and Policy, Seattle, WA, USA
Indiana Health Law Rev 2:93-115. 2005
- Medical marijuana, American federalism, and the Supreme CourtLawrence O Gostin
Georgetown Law Center, Washington, DC 20001, USA
JAMA 294:842-4. 2005
- A primer on economic evaluations related to expansion of newborn screening for genetic and metabolic disordersHeddy Bishop Hubbard
Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Bethesda, MD 20850, USA
J Obstet Gynecol Neonatal Nurs 35:692-9. 2006..In addition, various types of economic evaluations are defined, and a number of economic studies are explored...
- Beginning to begin: reports from the battle on obesityKathryn Foxhall
Am J Public Health 96:2106-12. 2006
- The Oregon Death with Dignity Act: a successful model or a legal anomaly vulnerable to attack?Brian Boyle
Houst Law Rev 40:1387-421. 2004
- An economic assessment of damage caps in medical malpractice litigation imposed by state laws and the implications for federal policy and lawH E Frech
University of California, Santa Barbara, USA
Health Matrix Clevel 16:693-722. 2006
- Impact of the CDC's Section 317 Immunization Grants Program funding on childhood vaccination coverageDavid B Rein
Health, Social Science, and Economic Research unit of RTI International, Atlanta, GA 30341, USA
Am J Public Health 96:1548-53. 2006..Policymakers charged with funding public health programs should consider this study's findings, which indicate that money allocated to vaccine activities translates directly into higher vaccine coverage rates...
- Legal frameworks for preventing chronic diseaseWendy Collins Perdue
Georgetown Law Center, Washington, DC, USA
J Law Med Ethics 33:94-7. 2005
- California Stem Cell Research and Cures Act: what to expect from stem cell research?Joe Panetta
BIOCOM, California, USA
J Biolaw Bus 8:3-12. 2005..In addition, the article will discuss the criteria for California's grant applicants under the Act and the legal issues surrounding the new discoveries funded by the Act...
- Misapplied ethical considerations: U.S. federal stem cell mandates lack global focus and market foresightHeather L Fowler
Cornell University, USA
Cornell Int Law J 36:521-44. 2004
- The Commerce Clause and federal abortion law: why progressives might be tempted to embrace federalismJordan Goldberg
Fordham Law Rev 75:301-54. 2006
- Failure of enforcement controlled substance laws in health policy for prescribing opiate medications: a painful assessment of morbidity and mortalityNorman S Miller
Department of Medicine, Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan 48823, USA
Am J Ther 13:527-33. 2006..These laws are aimed at balancing the need to controlling use with adverse consequences against the therapeutic benefits opiate medications provide the public...
- The bioethics agenda and the Bush second termEric Cohen
New Atlantis 7:11-8. 2004
- Ethics, regulation, and biomedical researchMatthew Weed
Yale University, USA
Kennedy Inst Ethics J 14:361-8. 2004....
- Financing public health: diminished funding for core needs and state-by-state variation in supportJeffrey Levi
Trust for America s Health, George Washington University School of Public Health and Health Services, Washington, DC 20006, USA
J Public Health Manag Pract 13:97-102. 2007....
- A postmodernist take on the human embryo research debateLars Noah
University of Florida, USA
Conn Law Rev 36:1133-61. 2004
- Washington insider. The elections and Congress: a continued statement on embryo research?Richard M Doerflinger
United States Catholic Conference, Washington, DC, USA
Natl Cathol Bioeth Q 5:25-33. 2005
- Checkup on Democrats. Industry optimistic healthcare will be a top priorityJennifer Lubell
Mod Healthc 36:8-9. 2006
- Conscience in context: pharmacist rights and the eroding moral marketplaceRobert K Vischer
University of St Thomas School of Law, Minnesota, USA
Stanford Law Pol Rev 17:83-119. 2006
- Maximizing state and federal spending while minimizing conflictsMelvin L Billingsley
Nat Biotechnol 24:1473-4. 2006
- Preliminary experiences of the states in implementing the National Family Caregiver Support Program: a 50-state studyLynn Friss Feinberg
National Center on Caregiving, Family Caregiver Alliance, 180 Montgomery Street, Suite 1100, San Francisco, CA 94104, USA
J Aging Soc Policy 18:95-113. 2006..Results suggest that despite an increasing availability of caregiver supports in all 50 states, there is also a great unevenness in services and service options for family caregivers across the states and within states...
- Air Force women's access to abortion services and the erosion of 10 U.S.C., section 1093Marshall L Wilde
United States Air Force Reserve, 433 AW JA, Lackland AFB, Texas, USA
William Mary J Women Law 9:351-412. 2003
- Why Ashcroft is wrong on assisted suicideNelson Lund
George Mason University School of Law, USA
Commentary 113:50-5. 2002
- The intersection of law and medicine: the case for providing federal funding for embryonic stem cell researchAllison B Newhart
Villanova Law Rev 49:329-61. 2004
- The federalist turn in bioethics?Karen J Maschke
Hastings Cent Rep 37:3. 2007
- After the fact: the case for posttransaction antitrust review of health plan mergersMichael M Costello
University of Scranton, Moses Taylor Hospital, Scranton, Pennsylvania, USA
Hosp Top 86:11-4. 2008....
- Public health and civil liberties in an era of bioterrorismLawrence O Gostin
Georgetown University, Washington, DC, USA
Crim Justice Ethics 21:2, 74-6. 2002
- November and beyond: CIOs have a large role to play in the development of healthcare IT policyKate Huvane
Healthc Inform 25:40-4, 46-8, 50-4 passim. 2008
- Improving child health care through federal policy: an emerging opportunityCharles Bruner
Child and Family Policy Center, Des Moines, Iowa, USA
Issue Brief (Commonw Fund) 46:1-7. 2008..and developmental child health services; 3) supporting additional research on child health quality and outcomes in primary care; and 4) providing incentives to states to promote evidence-based practices in children's primary health care..
- Policy choices and model acts: preparing for the next public health emergencyKen Wing
Health Matrix Clevel 13:71-83. 2003
- Panels' conflicting views cloud legal future of human cloningErika Check
Nature 415:351-2. 2002
- The year of the stem cell: George Annas talks about the future of stem cell research in AmericaSujatha Byravan
Council for Responsible Genetics, USA
Genewatch 18:12-5. 2005
- Federalism & bioethics: states and moral pluralismJames W Fossett
University at Albany, USA
Hastings Cent Rep 37:24-35. 2007..governments have historically overseen a wide range of bioethical issues and share responsibility with the federal government for still others. States ought to have an important role...
- The moral, ethical, and legal controversy surrounding pluripotent stem cell researchKathleen Doody
Loyola Law Rev 48:267-326. 2002
- Bankrolling stem-cell research with California dollarsKeith R Yamamoto
School of Medicine and the Department of Cellular and Molecular Pharmacology, University of California, San Francisco, USA
N Engl J Med 351:1711-3. 2004
- The politics of emergency health powers and the isolation of public healthJohn M Colmers
Milbank Memorial Fund, New York, NY 10022 1905, USA
Am J Public Health 93:397-9. 2003....
- The affirmation of the scientist-practitioner. A look back at BoulderD B Baker
University of Akron, OH 44325 4302, USA
Am Psychol 55:241-7. 2000..The federal government, wishing to avoid a repeat of blunders following World War I that led to significant dissatisfaction among ..
- HIPAA--a real world perspectiveC Nulan
Cerner Corporation, Kansas City, MO, USA
Radiol Manage 23:29-37; quiz 38-40. 2001..going to be required by law to adopt the same information-handling practices that have been in effect in the Federal government for years...
- Managing mental health service provision in the decentralized, multi-layered health and social care system of GermanyAnke Bramesfeld
Health Policy Working Group, Department for Epidemiology, Social Medicine and Health System Research, Hanover Medical School, Hanover, Germany
J Ment Health Policy Econ 7:3-14. 2004..Implementing such coordination is particularly challenging in a decentralized, multi-layered health and social care system such as exists in Germany...
- Medication therapy management: 10 years of experience in a large integrated health care systemDjenane Ramalho de Oliveira
Fairview Pharmacy Services, 711 Kasota Ave SE, Minneapolis, MN 55414, USA
J Manag Care Pharm 16:185-95. 2010Medication therapy management (MTM) was officially recognized by the federal government in the Medicare Prescription Drug, Improvement, and Modernization Act of 2003, which requires Medicare Part D plans that offer prescription drug ..
- Outbreak of duck plague (duck herpesvirus enteritis) in numerous species of captive ducks and geese in temporal conjunction with enforced biosecurity (in-house keeping) due to the threat of avian influenza A virus of the subtype Asia H5N1E F Kaleta
Klinik fur Vogel, Reptilien, Amphibien und Fische, Justus Liebig Universitat Giessen, Frankfurter Strasse 91 93, 35392 Giessen
Dtsch Tierarztl Wochenschr 114:3-11. 2007..A virus of the subtype H5N1 in free-living and domestic birds forced the European Union and the German federal government to enhance all biosecurity measures including in-house keeping of all captive birds from October 20 to ..
- Attitudes toward the autopsy--an 8-state surveyPeter N Nemetz
Strategy and Business Economics Division, Sauder School of Business, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
MedGenMed 8:80. 2006..National autopsy rates have declined for several decades, and the reasons for such decline remain contentious...
- Unborn children as constitutional personsGregory J Roden
Issues Law Med 25:185-273. 2010..Specifically, it is argued that the Constitution does not confer upon the federal government a specifically enumerated power to grant or deny "personhood" under the Fourteenth Amendment...
- Children's media policyAmy B Jordan
Annenberg Public Policy Center, University of Pennsylvania, USA
Future Child 18:235-53. 2008..Jordan describes the role of the three branches of the federal government in formulating and implementing media policy...
- Trachoma surveillance in Australia, 2009. A report by the National Trachoma Surveillance and Reporting UnitKristie S Adams
Centre for Molecular, Environmental, Genetic and Analytic Epidemiology, School of Population Health, The University of Melbourne, Carlton, Victoria
Commun Dis Intell Q Rep 34:375-95. 2010..The National Trachoma Surveillance and Reporting Unit was established in 2006 as a result of a Federal Government initiative to provide comprehensive surveillance data from regional and remote Indigenous communities ..
- Risk management frameworks for human health and environmental risksCindy Jardine
Department of Public Health Sciences, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
J Toxicol Environ Health B Crit Rev 6:569-720. 2003..6. Risk Assessment in the Federal Government: Managing the Process (US National Research Council, 1983). 7...
- Reinterpreting ethnic patterns among white and African American men who inject heroin: a social science of medicine approachPhilippe Bourgois
Department of Anthropology, History and Social Medicine, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, California, United States of America
PLoS Med 3:e452. 2006..Social science theory and methods offer tools to understand the reasons for economic and ethnic disparities that cause individual suffering and stress at the institutional level...
- Middle-ear reconstruction: a review of 150 casesIkramullah Khan
J Laryngol Otol 116:435-9. 2002..It was conducted at the Federal Government Services Hospital, Islamabad from 1983 to 1999...
- The Manganese Health Research Program (MHRP): status report and future research needs and directionsM Aschner
Departments of Pediatrics and Pharmacology, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, B 3307 Medical Center North, Nashville, TN 37232 2495, USA
Neurotoxicology 27:733-6. 2006..and its suppliers, the Manganese Health Research Program (MHRP) seeks to use the resources of the federal government, in tandem with manganese researchers, as well as those industries that are involved with manganese, to ..
- Alcohol problem resources and services in State supported programs, FY 1987W Butynski
NASADAD, Washington, DC 20001
Public Health Rep 103:611-20. 1988..Of this total, approximately 51.1 percent was contributed by State governments, 17.9 percent by the Federal Government, 9.1 percent by county or local agencies, and 21...
- National Institutes of Health State-of-the-Science Conference statement: Diagnosis and Management of Ductal Carcinoma In Situ September 22-24, 2009Carmen J Allegra
University of Florida Shands Cancer Center, Department of Medicine, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32610, USA
J Natl Cancer Inst 102:161-9. 2010..To provide health-care providers, patients, and the general public with a responsible assessment of currently available data on the diagnosis and management of ductal carcinoma in situ (DCIS)...
- Exception from informed consent for pediatric resuscitation research: community consultation for a trial of brain cooling after in-hospital cardiac arrestMarilyn C Morris
Department of Anesthesia and Critical Care Medicine, Children s Hospital of Philadelphia, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
Pediatrics 114:776-81. 2004..consultation and public disclosure process and the granting of exception from informed consent from the federal government. The applicability of exception from informed consent to pediatric resuscitation research has not been ..
- [The use of transgenic animals in biomedical research in Germany. Part 2: Ethical evaluation of the use of transgenic animals in biomedical research and perspectives for the changeover in research to research animal-free methods]Ursula G Sauer
German Animal Welfare Federation Animal Welfare Academy, Neubiberg, Germany
ALTEX 23:3-16. 2006..It is against this background that it is to be welcomed that the German Federal Government currently actively promotes the further development of genetechnological non-animal test methods...
- Charles H. Best, the Canadian Red Cross Society, and Canada's first national blood donation programR W Kapp
Department of History, Ryerson Polytechnic University, Toronto, Ontario
Can Bull Med Hist 12:27-46. 1995..It focuses on the genesis of Charles H. Best's serum project at the University of Toronto, and the federal government's decision in 1940 to sponsor it as the nation's most viable blood banking option...
- Environmental contamination and human exposure to manganese--contribution of methylcyclopentadienyl manganese tricarbonyl in unleaded gasolineJ Zayed
Département de médecine du travail et d hygiène du milieu, Faculte de Medecine, Universite de Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Int Arch Occup Environ Health 72:7-13. 1999..Paradoxically, in 1997 the federal government of Canada adopted a law (C-29) that banned both the interprovincial trade and the importation for commercial ..
- Knowledge, attitude and practice of school health programme among head teachers of primary schools in Egor Local Government Area of Edo State, NigeriaG E Ofovwe
Department of Child Health, School of Medicine, College of Medical Sciences, University of Benin, Benin City, Nigeria
Ann Afr Med 6:99-103. 2007..For this reason and the recent action plan of the Federal Government of Nigeria concerning SHP, the knowledge, attitude and practice of SHP among head teachers of primary ..
- Lack of hospital preparedness for chemical terrorism in a major US city: 1996-2000Mark E Keim
Department of Emergency Medicine, Emory University of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Prehosp Disaster Med 18:193-9. 2003..Against Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD) Act (the WMD Act of 1996) heralded a new wave of spending by the federal government on counter-terrorism efforts...
- Vertebral Fracture Assessment by dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry: insurance coverage issues in the United States. A White Paper of the International Society for Clinical DensitometryAndrew J Laster
Arthritis and Osteoporosis Consultants of the Carolinas, Charlotte, NC 28207, USA
J Clin Densitom 10:227-38. 2007..coverage of VFA has not been uniformly embraced by Medicare carriers, companies that contract with the federal government to administer Medicare coverage and process claims for a region of the United States...
- Decreasing nonmarital births and strengthening marriage to reduce povertyPaul R Amato
Pennsylvania State University, USA
Future Child 17:117-41. 2007..They also recommend educating young people about methods to prevent unintended pregnancies. Ideally, the federal government would provide tested curriculum models that emphasize both abstinence and use of contraception...
- Ethnic differences in ecological concerns: Spanish-speaking Hispanics are more concerned than othersJoanna Burger
Division of Life Sciences, Rutgers University, 604 Allison Road, Piscataway, New Jersey 08854 8082, USA
Environ Res 102:36-45. 2006..People concerned about the loss of ecological resources and open space believe the federal government and the state are not doing enough for the environment, were non-Hispanic White, want continued ..
- Morphology and molecular taxonomy of Gyrodactylus jennyae n. sp. (Monogenea) from tadpoles of captive Rana catesbeiana Shaw (Anura), with a review of the species of Gyrodactylus Nordmann, 1832 parasitising amphibiansLinda Paetow
Department of Biology, Concordia University, QC, Canada
Syst Parasitol 73:219-27. 2009..mouthparts of tadpoles of the bullfrog Rana catesbeiana Shaw imported presumably from Missouri, USA, into a federal government facility in Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada. Its morphology resembles most closely that of G...
- Information resource preferences by general pediatricians in office settings: a qualitative studyGeorge R Kim
Division of Health Sciences Informatics, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
BMC Med Inform Decis Mak 5:34. 2005..Information needs and resource preferences of office-based general pediatricians have not been well characterized...
- Wisconsin Blues' conversion: the privatization of a health insurerBruce Fetter
History Department, University of Wisconsin Milwaukee, PO Box 413, Milwaukee, WI 53201, USA
WMJ 106:461-5. 2007..During World War II, the federal government created tax deductions for both employers and employees, which created new demand for health insurance...
- The history and contemporary challenges of the US Food and Drug AdministrationAndrea T Borchers
Division of Rheumatology, Allerg and Clinical Immunology, University of California at Davis School of Medicine, Davis, California 95616, USA
Clin Ther 29:1-16. 2007..agency now known as the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA), the first consumer protection agency of the federal government and arguably the most influential regulatory agency in the world...
- Systems for the management of respiratory disease in primary care - an international series: AustraliaNicholas Glasgow
The Australian National University Australian National University Medical School, Australia
Prim Care Respir J 17:19-25. 2008..General practice is largely funded through the federal government. Other primary health care services are provided by state/territory public entities and private allied ..
- The IHS dental program--a historical perspectiveR F Martin
Indian Health Service, Parklawn Building, Room 6A 30, 5600 Fishers Lane, Rockville, MD 20857, USA
J Public Health Dent 60:238-42. 2000The federal government provides health services for American Indians and Alaska Natives based on treaties with tribes, legislation, and executive orders...
- Neonatal complications in infants born to diabetic mothersMuhammad Alam
Department of Pediatric Medicine, National Institute of Child Health, Karachi
J Coll Physicians Surg Pak 16:212-5. 2006..To determine the range of complications occurring in infants of diabetic mothers (IDMs)...
- North American pretransfusion testing practices, 2001-2004: results from the College of American Pathologists Interlaboratory Comparison Program survey data, 2001-2004Ira A Shulman
Department of Pathology, Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California, Los Angeles County USC Medical Center, Los Angeles, California, USA
Arch Pathol Lab Med 129:984-9. 2005Pretransfusion testing of whole blood and red blood cell recipients is regulated by the federal government under the authority of the Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments of 1988...
- Nutrition support in Brazil: past, present, and future perspectivesDan L Waitzberg
Laboratory of Metabolism and Nutrition in Surgery, LIM 35, Department of Gastroenterology, University of Sao Paulo Medical School, Sao Paulo, Brazil
JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr 28:184-91. 2004..In Brazil, the federal government is responsible for the majority of health care, but enteral nutrition was not reimbursed...
- The Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) brucellosis eradication program in the United StatesValerie E Ragan
USDA, APHIS, Veterinary Services, 4700 River Road, Unit 43, Riverdale, MD 20737, USA
Vet Microbiol 90:11-8. 2002..The brucellosis eradication program was designed as a cooperative effort between the federal government, the states, and livestock producers...
- Universal Influenza Matrix 2 Subunit VaccineWilliam Ernst; Fiscal Year: 2004..This attack has put the United States on high alert and has been a major impetus to the restructuring of our federal government to include a Department of Homeland Security...
- Tobacco Control Research Branch Scientific and Technical Services SupportKOURTNEY MARSHALL; Fiscal Year: 2009..Note: All presentations and documents prepared under this contract will be the property of the Federal government. shall not publish or disseminate any information, or analyses or reports using information, obtained under ..
- Disparities in Cancer Screening: The Role of Medicaid PolicyLINDSAY MARIE SABIK; Fiscal Year: 2013..In recent years, the federal government granted many states increased flexibility to cover low-income adults through Medicaid waivers...
- Effectiveness of Mandatory Prescription Drug MonitoringGuohua Li; Fiscal Year: 2012..The U.S. federal government in 2002 started the Harold Rogers grant program to support the creation and improvement of state PDMPs...
- Translational Neurotech SummitCASEY LYNCH; Fiscal Year: 2010..in translational neuroscience, executives in the neurotechnology industry, the investment community and federal government agencies (in particular NINDS, NIMH, and NIDA)...
- Sources of Change and Stability in Low-Income Black MarriagesBENJAMIN REUVEN KARNEY; Fiscal Year: 2010..Recognizing this problem, the federal government has begun to invest unprecedented amounts of money - including $750 million over the next five years - in ..
- Mapping "Race" and Inequality: Best Practices forTheorizing and OperationalizingNANCY contact LOPEZ; Fiscal Year: 2010..In the area of health policy in particular, since 1985, the federal government has created several specialized initiatives to explore racial disparities within the Department of Health ..
- Objectively Measured Physical Activity and Mortality in WomenI Min Lee; Fiscal Year: 2013..Morbidity follow-up is well over 90% and mortality follow-up is virtually 100%. In 2008, the federal government released its first-ever Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans, recommending the types and amounts of ..
- The Impact of School Food Policy on Childhood ObesityAmy Schwartz; Fiscal Year: 2013..Although the federal government provides funding assistance and strict dietary guidelines to these programs, their success is shaped ..
- Evaluating Changes in Biopharmaceutical Therapies for Medicare and other PayersErnst R Berndt; Fiscal Year: 2013..of Medicare Part D in 2006 increased access and utilization of medicines by seniors and made the federal government a more central payer for prescription drugs...
- A Workshop to Transform MindsetsDavid B Mayer; Fiscal Year: 2010..provided by applicant): Medical liability reform and patient safety are key issues being faced by the federal government. In the age of healthcare reform, debates and open discussion on these critical issues have come to the ..
- Psychopharmacology of plants and their metabolites used as marijuana substitutesJordan K Zjawiony; Fiscal Year: 2012..Since 1970 when the Controlled Substances Act was enacted into law by Federal Government and cannabis (marijuana) was placed in the Schedule I, a number of marijuana substitutes or alternatives ..
- ASSURING RADIATION PROTECTIONRUTH EVELYN MCBURNEY; Fiscal Year: 2013..the interchange of radiation protection experience among the states and between the states, tribes and the federal government. CRCPD will establish and maintain approximately 65 committees and other working groups made up of its state ..
- A safer urinary catheter design to reduce catheter trauma and infectionsBUZZY BONNEAU; Fiscal Year: 2013..From 2006 to 2008 we identified nearly 110,000 urethral catheter-related injuries using the Federal Government's Healthcare Cost and Utilization Project database...
- The Science of Medicare ReformDANA P contact GOLDMAN; Fiscal Year: 2010..Third, the program is the largest fiscal liability of the Federal government. The aging of the baby boomers will swell the population of Medicare beneficiaries...
- First Responders e-Training Curricula for Mass Screening After a Nuclear EventMichael Rea; Fiscal Year: 2011..The federal government has been spending significant amounts of money on grants (U19 CMCR) and contracts (BARDAs) to support the ..
- Advancing Patient-Centered Outcomes in Addiction Psychiatry PracticeFrances Rudnick Levin; Fiscal Year: 2013..MOC is a quality indicator recognized by credentialing organizations, insurers, hospitals, and the federal government. We will specifically focus on the MOC Part 4 process (MOC4) of Performance in Practice (PIP), and peer and ..
- Care Coordination Enabled by Health IT: What Will It Take?Sarah H Scholle; Fiscal Year: 2013..We will use the results of this project to provide our federal government a roadmap to achievement of the proposed MU objectives and how to measure their achievement by providers in ..
- Pediatric Patient Engagement as a Criteria for Meaningful Use Stage 3ALEXANDER GABRIEL FIKS; Fiscal Year: 2013PROJECT SUMMARY/ABSTRACT The federal government has allocated $27 billion to fund a staged program to foster the meaningful use of electronic health records...
- Strategies and Opportunities to Stop Colon Cancer in Priority PopulationsBEVERLY BETH GREEN; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): The federal government has set a Healthy People 2020 goal of a 70.5% screening rate for colorectal cancer (CRC), but almost half of eligible U.S. adults are not up to date on their screenings...
- Evaluation of a Massachusetts physical activity policy for child careSARA ELIZABETH NEELON; Fiscal Year: 2012..Child care is not regulated by the federal government-each individual state is responsible for regulating its child care centers...
- The Design of Social Insurance for the Elderly: Public Pensions &Health InsurancAMY N FINKELSTEIN; Fiscal Year: 2013..Medicare and Social Security currently account for over one-third of the federal government, and are projected to grow dramatically as the baby boomers age, longevity increases, and medical costs ..
- Enhancing Information Dissemination on Health Disparities Research: A DatabaseBill Bowers; Fiscal Year: 2010..This database will provide easily accessible information to the federal government, medical researchers, clinicians, and, eventually, the general public...
- Development and Maintenance of Low-Income Newlywed MarriagesBENJAMIN REUVEN KARNEY; Fiscal Year: 2012..Recognizing this problem, the federal government has begun to invest unprecedented amounts of money in programs intended to strengthen marriage in low-income ..
- Genome Wide associate analysis of Alzheimer's DiseaseGERARD DAVID SCHELLENBERG; Fiscal Year: 2010..PUBLIC HEALTH RELEVANCE: Alzheimer's disease affects over 5 million people in the US costing the Federal Government over $100 billion dollars/year...
- Effects of Three Underage Drinking Laws on Youth Traffic FatalitiesJames C Fell; Fiscal Year: 2013..MLDA-21 statutes vary considerably from state to state, and no state has all components advocated by the federal government. Thus, the current U.S...
- Labor Market Effects of Public Health Insurance on Married CouplesJoanna N Lahey; Fiscal Year: 2012DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Receipt of health insurance either through an employer or through the federal government can have profound effects on labor market decisions by older workers approaching the age of Medicare ..
- Nicotine Emissions, Toxicity, and Behavior by Electronic CigarettesRISA JEAN ROBINSON; Fiscal Year: 2013..provided by applicant): With the passage of the Family Prevention and Tobacco Control Act of 2009, the Federal Government has gained regulatory authority over the formulation and marketing of tobacco based products...
- Smoking-Related Television Advertising and Population SmokingSherry L Emery; Fiscal Year: 2010..States and the Federal government spend tens of millions of dollars annually on anti-smoking and other public health advertising, but little ..
- Child Care Quality and School Readiness: The Role of Child-Level VulnerabilityAnna Duncan Johnson; Fiscal Year: 2013..The first study explores whether the federal child care subsidy program, which is the federal government's most comprehensive investment in ECE and the largest public early care program available to children ..
- Identifying Barriers to Recovery-Oriented Practice in Supportive Housing ServicesEMMY L TIDERINGTON; Fiscal Year: 2013..As mental health recovery has now been endorsed by the Federal government as the "single most important goal" in the fundamental transformation of the mental health system in the ..
- Factors Motivating & Affecting Information Seeking in a Health Information ExchanRobert L Ohsfeldt; Fiscal Year: 2010..2003). Efforts at establishing systems of HIE are widespread and advocated by the federal government (Walker, Pan et al. 2005)...
- TERMIS-Americas 2013 Opening Conference SymposiumRobert E Guldberg; Fiscal Year: 2013..conference marks 25 years since the first meeting dedicated to tissue engineering, and one supported by the federal government, that established a framework for this new and innovative sector of medical research...
- "Just Enough to Put Him Away Decent": The Management of Death and the Evolution oKRISTINE MARIE MCCUSKER; Fiscal Year: 2010..The significance of my work lies in the latter application of lessons learned in the South by the Federal Government and private foundations to post-World War II nation-building in the emergent Third World.
- Creating and Validating Child Adverse Event Reporting in Oncology TrialsLillian Sung; Fiscal Year: 2013..The Federal Government mandates for safety monitoring that all trials report adverse events (AEs);defined by the National Cancer ..
- Research Access to Death Records Contract Number: NIH Proposal #10001666 CAN 8JILL COLLAMORE; Fiscal Year: 2013..studies of older populations that serve as key infrastructure to behavioral and social for grantees and the federal government. These studies benefit from access to timely death records to determine which respondents have passed away ..
- The Role of Private Plans in MedicareJOSEPH PAUL NEWHOUSE; Fiscal Year: 2013..Second, the Medicare program is of broad importance to the federal government because of its budgetary impact...
- Food Protection Task Force Conference for attendees from state, local, and privatJOHN ROBERT DUNN; Fiscal Year: 2013..and networking of representatives from academia and industry with representatives from state, local, and federal government. Because foodborne disease remains a serious public health threat and a threat to food producers and ..
- CAPTURE Falls: Collaboration and Proactive Teamwork Used to Reduce FallsKATHERINE JEAN JONES; Fiscal Year: 2013..Thus, decreasing the incidence of falls is a priority of the National Quality Forum, the federal government, regulatory agencies, hospital quality improvement programs, and patient safety research...
- ECRI Institute Technology Assessment Policy Conference 2009JEFFREY LERNER; Fiscal Year: 2009..companies, medical device manufacturers, research organizations and consumer groups, and State and Federal government agencies, as well as elected officials and members of the judiciary...
- Duke Mentored CER Scholar ProgramEugene Z Oddone; Fiscal Year: 2010..PUBLIC HEALTH RELEVANCE: The federal government has identified the critical importance of comparative effectiveness research to the future of health care in ..
- Market Competition and the Quality of Home Health ServicesDANIEL E POLSKY; Fiscal Year: 2010..Recently the federal government has embraced market-based reforms to improve the quality of the health care system through public reporting ..
- Design and Evaluation of a Social Security Program for Oldest Old in YucatanARIE KAPTEYN; Fiscal Year: 2010..There is a mix of state and federal programs. In June 2007, the Mexican federal government announced a social security program for the elderly 70 years or over in towns with fewer than 2,500 ..
- Implementation of an efficacious intervention for High Risk Women in MexicoThomas L Patterson; Fiscal Year: 2013..The Mexican federal government supports the scaling-up of this intervention across the country, and has encouraged us to formally evaluate ..
- Using Doctor-Patient Teams to Reduce Health DisparitiesLouis Penner; Fiscal Year: 2007..Reducing health disparities is a major priority of the federal government. There are many reasons for these health disparities, but a large research literature suggests that 1 major ..
- COST EFFECTIVENESS OF EYE RESEARCH AND CAREJonathan Javitt; Fiscal Year: 1993..4. Assess the economic return to the federal government on the investment in multicenter clinical trials that were needed to prove the efficacy of those treatments...
- IMPROVEMENT SCIENCE SUMMIT: RESEARCH METHODS TO TRANSFORM HEALTHCAREKathleen R Stevens; Fiscal Year: 2012..Relevance Statement Quality improvement and patient safety in healthcare are high priorities held by the federal government, accrediting bodies, regulatory agencies, and patient-advocacy groups;yet insufficient progress has been ..
- IMPROVEMENT SCIENCE SUMMIT: A RESEARCH METHODS CONFERENCEKathleen R Stevens; Fiscal Year: 2011..Relevance Statement Quality improvement and patient safety in healthcare are high priorities held by the federal government, accrediting bodies, regulatory agencies, and patient-advocacy groups;yet insufficient progress has been ..
- RAHECNETPatricia Rodriguez; Fiscal Year: 1999..were established in 10 rural counties, all of which are designated as medically underserved by the state or federal government. These isolated rural health care providers can quickly and efficiently find information via RAHECNet to use ..
- Biocontainment Laboratory/Biodefense/Infectious DiseaseMichael Dockter; Fiscal Year: 2005..expertise will be available through our RBL facility to be part of NIAID's Biodefense agenda and part of the federal government's Biodefense initiative...
- Development of a device for rapid detection of anthraxDavid Dean; Fiscal Year: 2002..g., fire fighters, law enforcement) or state and federal government personnel for rapid on-site detection of anthrax in environmental samples, and (b) public health laboratory ..
- INSTITUTE FOR LABORATORY ANIMAL RESEARCHJOANNE ZURLO; Fiscal Year: 2004..ILAR functions within the mission of the National Academy of Sciences as an advisor to the federal government, the biomedical research community, and the public...
- Patient-Reported Outcomes Measurement Information System (PROMIS) Network CenterSan Keller; Fiscal Year: 2013..will be responsible for the design of the external PROMIS website and for communication campaigns designed to raise awareness about PROMIS on the part of the Federal government and all consumers of health outcome data.
- Development of Novel Therapies for Pediatric CancerStephan Morris; Fiscal Year: 2004..governmental and other sources, in the ability to interact effectively with political figures, local and federal government agencies, in the protection and licensing of intellectual property, in the pie-clinical and clinical ..
- MANAGEMENT SYSTEMS FOR HOME HEALTH CARE CLIENTS WITH AIDSusan Payne; Fiscal Year: 1993..in the study will be classified using two case-mix systems currently under development for use by the federal government for home health care prospective payment systems...
- Pilot Studies for Baltimore CPP/Pathways FollowupWilliam Eaton; Fiscal Year: 2005..and early infant risk factors, and important diseases emerging during adulthood, has led to plans by the Federal Government to conduct a cohort study called the National Children's Study (NCS) of over 100,000 births...
- Generating, Evaluating, and Implementing Evidence for Drug-Drug Interactions in HDaniel Malone; Fiscal Year: 2009..discuss, and propose methods to improve the use of DDI evidence is long overdue, especially with the federal government's initiatives for electronic prescribing...
- A Practice-Based Research Network for Improvement ScienceKathleen R Stevens; Fiscal Year: 2010..HEALTH RELEVANCE: Quality improvement and patient safety in healthcare are high priorities held by the federal government, accrediting bodies, regulatory agencies, and patient-advocacy groups;yet insufficient progress has been ..
- RACIAL INTEGRATION OF MEDICINE IN THE UNITED STATESP Reynolds; Fiscal Year: 2000..of the Civil Rights Act in 1964, and the Medicare legislation in 1965, civil rights advocates within the federal government had both a legislative mandate to guarantee equal access to programs funded by the federal government in ..
- Pilot Study of Assisted Living Facilities in FloridaJill Quadagno; Fiscal Year: 2002..In efforts to contain the costs of long-term care to the frail elder population, the federal government and state governments have implemented policies that have expanded access to ALFs for low-income frail ..
- Evaluating Medicare's Quality Improvement OrganizationsClaire Snyder; Fiscal Year: 2004..From the inception of Medicare, the federal government has been concerned about the quality of care provided to beneficiaries...
- Microcarrier culture system for human influenza vaccineWILLIAM HILLEGAS; Fiscal Year: 2004..Most human influenza virus vaccine is produced in embryonated eggs. The Federal government and other worldwide organizations are seeking alternative cell-culture approaches to influenza vaccine ..
- Mentoring the Responsible Conduct of ResearchCelia Fisher; Fiscal Year: 2006..of research (RCR) is vital for the continued health of the scientific enterprise and its stakeholders-the federal government, scientific disciplines, individual researchers, institutions, graduate trainees, and the public (NAS, 1995; ..
- END-STAGE LIVER DISEASE/PREVALENCE & TREATMENT VARIATIONCindy Bryce; Fiscal Year: 2004..Whereas the federal government maintains a comprehensive database of persons with renal disease from the time they receive dialysis, there ..
- Medical Image/Date Security Assurance - Digital EnvelopeH K Huang; Fiscal Year: 2004..Mandates for ensuring health data security have been issued by the federal government (e.g...