Summary: In health care reimbursement, especially in the prospective payment system, those patients who require an unusually long hospital stay or whose stay generates unusually high costs.
Publications101 found, 100 shown here
- Casemix reimbursement: a Singapore Children's Hospital perspectiveS L Yoong
KK Women's and Children's Hospital, 100 Bukit Timah Rd, Singapore 229899
Ann Acad Med Singapore 30:36-40. 2001....
- The obligation of physicians to medical outliers: a Kantian and Hegelian synthesisThomas J Papadimos
Department of Anesthesiology, Medical College of Ohio, 3000 Arlington Avenue, Toledo, Ohio 43614, USA
BMC Med Ethics 5:E3. 2004..In fact, some providers may try to avoid caring for them altogether, or at least try to limit their institutional or practice exposure to them...
- The clinician's role in Medicare prospective payment: part 4--Medicare adjustmentsPamela Teenier
Medicare Operations, Gentiva Health Services, Corpus Christi, TX, USA
Home Healthc Nurse 23:331-4. 2005
- CMS investigates outlier paymentsThomas H Brock
Proskauer Rose LLP, Washington, D C, USA
Healthc Financ Manage 57:70-4. 2003..Hospitals can expect CMS to implement changes to the outlier regulations...
- Outlier management. Influencing the highest resource-consuming areas in acute and critical careT Ahrens
Department of Critical Care, Barnes Jewish Hospital, Washington University Medical Center, St Louis, Missouri, USA
Crit Care Nurs Clin North Am 11:107-16. 1999..The benefit to employing these methods leads to the best use of technology and the improved management of a difficult patient population...
- The future of APCs: a look at Medicare's 2005 changes and industry trendsRenee S Leary
HSS, Inc, Hamden, Conn, USA
Healthc Financ Manage 59:44-7. 2005....
- Tough negotiations in store between plans and hospitalsEd Silverman
Manag Care 12:42-5. 2003
- More fallout. CMS wants to 'fix' outlier payment formulaVince Galloro
Mod Healthc 32:10-1. 2002
- Stormy weather. Echoes of Columbia/HCA heard as Tenet overhauls management amid scrutiny of outliner payments and investor protestsVince Galloro
Mod Healthc 32:6-7, 1. 2002..Tenet's business strategy came under scrutiny because a large proportion of its Medicare revenue was generated by so-called outlier payments. Chairman and CEO Jeffrey Barbakow (left) says that's not how he wants to do business...
- Tenet wades through legal mess. $215 million settlement reached; jury deliberatesVince Galloro
Mod Healthc 36:10. 2006
- Medicare intensive care unit use: analysis of incidence, cost, and paymentLiesl M Cooper
U S Outcomes Research, U S Medical Division, Eli Lilly and Company, Indianapolis, IN, USA
Crit Care Med 32:2247-53. 2004..To determine the incidence, cost, and payment for intensive care unit services among Medicare beneficiaries...
- Identifying and accommodating statistical outliers when setting prospective payment rates for inpatient rehabilitation facilitiesSusan M Paddock
RAND, Santa Monica, CA 90407, USA
Health Serv Res 39:1859-79. 2004..To demonstrate how a Bayesian outlier accommodation model identifies and accommodates statistical outlier hospitals when developing facility payment adjustments for Medicare's prospective payment system for inpatient rehabilitation care...
- Pay-for-performance: is medicare a good candidate?Michael F Cannon
Cato Institute s, Health Policy Studies, USA
Yale J Health Policy Law Ethics 7:1-38. 2007
- Evaluation of the performance of diagnosis-related groups and similar casemix systems: methodological issuesG Palmer
Centre for Hospital Management and Information Systems Research, School of Health Services Management, University of New South Wales, Sydney 2052
Health Serv Manage Res 14:71-81. 2001..Without the evidence provided by properly designed studies, policy-makers and managers may place undue reliance on subjective judgments and the views of the most influential, but not necessarily best informed, healthcare interest groups...
- Differences in the implementation of diagnosis-related groups across clinical departments: a German hospital case studyHans Gerd Ridder
Faculty of Economics and Management, Institute of Human Resource Management, Leibniz Universitat Hannover, Königsworther Platz 1, D 30167 Hannover, Germany
Health Serv Res 42:2120-39; discussion 2294-323. 2007..This article aims to examine the implementation process of diagnosis-related groups (DRGs) in the clinical departments of a German hospital group and to explain why some gain competitive advantage while others do not...
- Tenet cites St. Barnabas ruling. Fla. gaming lawsuit should be tossed as well: companyGregg Blesch
Mod Healthc 37:12. 2007
- Development of a program to manage costly outliersN S Cisar
Mayo Clinic Hospital in Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Clin Nurse Spec 15:25-33. 2001..The goals of this program were to identify who the outliers might be prior to becoming outliers and to manage their nursing care early in their hospital course, attempting to match resource requirements with resource availability...
- Estimation of the proportion of overweight individuals in small areas - a robust extension of the Fay-Herriot modelDawei Xie
Department of Biostatistics and Epidemiology, Center for Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, 617 Blockley Hall, 423 Guardian Drive, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Stat Med 26:2699-715. 2007..We also discuss two approaches for identifying outliers in the context of this application...
- Taking steps to dischargeCraig Kenny
Nurs Times 102:18-9. 2006
- A palliative medicine program in a community setting: 12 points from the first 12 monthsJohn D Cowan
Advanced Illness Assistance Team, Blount Memorial Hospital, Maryville, Tennessee, USA
Am J Hosp Palliat Care 20:415-33. 2003..A median of eight recommendations was made for each consultation, with medication changes suggested for 84 percent. For those known to have died, the median survival from time of consultation to death was 11 days...
- Predicting "charge outliers" after spinal cord injury: a multicenter analysis of demographics, injury characteristics, outcomes, and rehabilitation chargesD M Burnett
Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Medical College of Virginia Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA, USA
Arch Phys Med Rehabil 82:114-9. 2001....
- Holding out hope. CMS study to review payments to LTAC facilitiesJoseph Mantone
Mod Healthc 35:28. 2005
- M-study; arguments for regional trauma databasesP Joosse
Trauma Unit, Dept of Surgery, Academical Medical Center, University of Amsterdam, 1100 DD Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Trauma 58:1272-6; discussion 1277. 2005..Utilizing the M-statistic, different populations of trauma patients can be compared with the population originally enrolled in the MTOS...
- Age and laboratory costs for hospitalized medical patientsBradley B Brimhall
Department of Pathology, University of Colorado School of Medicine, Denver, USA
Arch Pathol Lab Med 127:169-77. 2003..To examine the hypothesis that older hospitalized patients have higher laboratory costs than younger patients in the same severity-adjusted diagnosis-related group (DRG)...
- CMS proposed paymentCherilyn G Murer
Murer Group, Joliet, IL, USA
Rehab Manag 19:58-61. 2006
- Special characteristics of nursing staff scheduling in intensive care unitsA Ksykiewicz Dorota
Department of Management in Nursing, Independent Laboratory of Nursing Skills, Faculty of Nursing and Health Sciences, Medical University of Lublin
Ann Univ Mariae Curie Sklodowska Med 56:313-8. 2001..Statistically significant differences were noted between the nursing time devoted to patients and the time they should be provided with according to their demand for care...
- Impact of the present-on-admission indicator on hospital quality measurement: experience with the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ) Inpatient Quality IndicatorsLaurent G Glance
University of Rochester School of Medicine, Rochester, New York, USA
Med Care 46:112-9. 2008..The extent to which the lack of a POA indicator biases quality assessment based on the AHRQ mortality measures is unknown...
- How DRGs hurt academic health systemsP A Taheri
Division of Trauma Burn and Emergency Surgery, University of Michigan Health System, Ann Arbor, USA
J Am Coll Surg 193:1-8; discussion 8-11. 2001..The application of our proposed reimbursement methodology better distributes risk between payers and providers, and reduces adverse selection and incentive problems ("moral hazard")...
- Analysis of cost outliers within APR-DRGs in a Belgian general hospital: two complementary approachesMagali Pirson
Health Economics Department, School of Public Health, Universite Libre de Bruxelles, 806 Route de Lennik, B 1070 Bruxelles, Belgium
Health Policy 76:13-25. 2006..The objective of this study was to find factors that could explain high and low resource use outliers, by associating an explanatory analysis with a statistical analysis...
- Frequency of abnormal correlation between leptin and the body mass index during first and second generation antipsychotic drug treatmentRocío Peña
Department of Physiology, Los Andes University Medical School, Merida, Venezuela
Schizophr Res 106:315-9. 2008..Leptin dysregulation has been implicated in the body weight gain and metabolic dysfunction observed with the second generation antipsychotic drugs (SGAD) olanzapine and clozapine...
- Techniques to monitor for endophthalmitis and other cataract surgery complicationsJonathon Q Ng
Eye and Vision Epidemiology Research Group, School of Public Health, Curtin University, Perth, Australia
Ophthalmology 115:3-10. 2008..To report complication incidence to identify outliers more reliably, to provide feedback on performance, and to generate more timely alerts...
- Putting it altogether: improving performance in heart failure outcomes, part 2Thomas R Clancy
Mercy Hospital, Iowa City, IA 52240, USA
J Nurs Adm 39:364-7. 2009..As follow-up to the case study in this column's June 2009 article, this article highlights the interventions and outcomes of the study...
- Trialling diagnosis-related groups classification in the Iranian health system: a case study examining the feasibility of introducing casemixS Ghaffari
School of Population Health, University of Queensland, Brisbane, Australia
East Mediterr Health J 16:460-6. 2010..R2 (variance in length of stay explained) was 44% for untrimmed cases, increasing to 63%, 57% and 58% after trimming by L3H3, IQR and 10th-95th percentile methods respectively...
- Tenet's conundrum. How can it increase volume without latest medical equipment, and vice versa?Vince Galloro
Mod Healthc 37:10. 2007
- Complexities in transplant revenue managementBarry Marshall
Methodist University Hospital Transplant Institute, Memphis, TN, USA
Prog Transplant 17:94-8. 2007..A transplant program must have a thorough understanding of all available payment schemes and reimbursement optimizing strategies to facilitate the realization of a strong financial outlook...
- Nonparametric frontier model as a tool for exploratory analysis of hospital staysC Beguin
Cliniques Universitaires Saint Luc, Universite Catholique de Louvain, Bruxelles, Belgium
Methods Inf Med 40:241-7. 2001..The analysis is done with the nonparametric Free Disposal Hull (FDH) model and the method developed by Wilson to detect extreme observations, when defining the frontier is adapted to analyze large databases...
- Outlier changes might shock youAlan L Broude
Hosp Health Netw 76:10, 12. 2002
- Spinal cord injury "outliers": an analysis of etiology, outcomes, and length of stayD M Burnett
Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Virginia Commonwealth University, Medical College of Virginia, Richmond 23298, USA
J Neurotrauma 17:765-72. 2000....
- New approaches to reimbursement schemes based on patient classification systems and their comparisonAlfio Marazzi
Institute for Social and Preventive Medicine, University of Lausanne, Lausanne, Switzerland
Health Serv Manage Res 20:203-10. 2007..However, the payment of a fixed amount per diem (not exceeding the marginal cost) and correcting the reimbursements for exceptional costs substantially reduces the average discrepancy between costs and reimbursements...
- Prospective rates for episodes of home health carePaul L Grimaldi
State Healthcare Division of Affiliated Computer Services, Inc, Rockville, MD, USA
J Health Care Finance 28:63-75. 2002....
- The ethical health lawyer. Loopholes: opportunity, responsibility or liability?Elizabeth A Weeks
Department of Law at the University of Kansas, USA
J Law Med Ethics 35:320-4. 2007
- [Random sampling according to section 17 c KHG--report on the experience of maximal care hospitals in Hesse]J van Essen
Hessen, Oberursel, Germany
Gesundheitswesen 69:137-40. 2007..Excluding these cases from the random sample introduces a bias in an avoidable way. The present rule is contrary to valid conclusions from the random sampling and should be abolished...
- Rating the quality of intensive care units: is it a function of the intensive care unit scoring system?Laurent G Glance
Department of Anaesthesiology, University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry, Rochester, NY, USA
Crit Care Med 30:1976-82. 2002..The objective of this study was to determine whether the identity of ICU quality outliers depends on the ICU scoring system used to calculate the standardized mortality ratio...
- Identifying quality outliers in a large, multiple-institution database by using customized versions of the Simplified Acute Physiology Score II and the Mortality Probability Model II0Laurent G Glance
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry, Rochester, NY, USA
Crit Care Med 30:1995-2002. 2002..To assess whether customized versions of the Simplified Acute Physiology Score (SAPS) II and the Mortality Probability Model (MPM) II0 agree on the identity of intensive care unit quality outliers within a multiple-center database...
- Economic profiling of physician specialists: use of outlier treatment and episode attribution rulesJ William Thomas
Institute for Health Policy, Edmund S Muskie School of Public Service, University of Southern Maine, Portland, ME 04101 9300, USA
Inquiry 43:271-82. 2006..No consistent combination of outlier methodology and episode attribution rule was found to be superior for identifying cost-inefficient physicians...
- Tenet's stock takes dive as profit outlook suffers. Analyst's questions about outlier payments add more uncertainty to system's earnings prospectsVince Galloro
Mod Healthc 32:8-9. 2002
- Outlier probe may widen. Consultancies may be next to come under scrutinyMark Taylor
Mod Healthc 36:8-9. 2006
- N.J. system settles lawsuitMark Taylor
Mod Healthc 36:4. 2006
- Medicaid managed care payment methods and capitation rates in 2001John Holahan
Health Policy Research Center, Urban Institute, Washington, DC, USA
Health Aff (Millwood) 22:204-18. 2003..The data also show that the growth in Medicaid capitation rates between 1998 and 2001 averaged 18 percent, considerably more than the increase in Medicare+Choice rates...
- Judge ends Tenet outlier suit. Ruling parallels decision in St. Barnabas caseGregg Blesch
Mod Healthc 37:4. 2007
- Excluded facility financial status and options for payment system modificationJ E Schneider
Department of Health Services and Policy Analysis, University of California, Berkeley
Health Care Financ Rev 15:7-30. 1993..Cost sharing above the target amount could be increased to include more government sharing of losses...
- Determinants of maternity length of stay: a Gamma mixture risk-adjusted modelA H Lee
School of Public Health, Curtin University of Technology, Perth, WA, Australia
Health Care Manag Sci 4:249-55. 2001..The determination of pertinent factors would benefit hospital administrators and clinicians to manage LOS and expenditures efficiently...
- [Are extra costs generated by patients justifiable? Methodology and results from a study carried out in a Belgian general hospital]M Pirson
Département d Economie de la Santé, Ecole de Santé Publique, ULB, Bruxelles
Rev Med Brux 31:103-10. 2010..An explanation is however not necessarily synonymous with medical justification...
- [Contribution of economic evaluation and budget impact analysis to public decision in health: the example of breast cancer]L Perrier
Université de Lyon Centre régional de lutte contre le cancer Léon Bérard, Département cancer et environnement, GATE UMR 5824 CNRS axe économie de la santé, 28, rue Laennec, 69008 Lyon, France
Bull Cancer 97:397-402. 2010..Budget impact analysis, without consideration of efficacy, makes it possible to balance the financing needs arising from the adoption of a costly innovation with the paying capabilities of a given institution...
- Effects of the Premier Hospital Quality Incentive Demonstration on Medicare patient mortality and costAndrew M Ryan
Brandeis University, Waltham, MA 02454, USA
Health Serv Res 44:821-42. 2009..and Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services Hospital Quality Incentive Demonstration (PHQID), a public quality reporting and pay-for-performance (P4P) program, on Medicare patient mortality, cost, and outlier classification...
- [Outlier cases in surgical disciplines. Micro-economic and macro-economic problems]A Tecklenburg
Medizinische Hochschule Hannover, OE 1110, Carl Neuberg Str 1, 30625, Hannover
Chirurg 80:768-72. 2009..To achieve this it is necessary to systematically analyze the extremely cost-intensive cases by experts of different medical disciplines to create a data basis for a proposal of a cost-covering payment...
- The variance of length of stay and the optimal DRG outlier paymentsStefan Felder
Health Economics, Duisburg Essen University, 45117, Essen, Germany
Int J Health Care Finance Econ 9:279-89. 2009..It then demonstrates for normally distributed truncated LOS that the optimal outlier threshold indeed decreases with an increase in the standard deviation...
- Adaptive designs for dose-finding in non-cancer phase II trials: influence of early unexpected outcomesMatthieu Resche-Rigon
Biostatistical Department, U717 INSERM, AP HP, Paris 7 University, Saint Louis Hospital, 1 avenue Claude Vellefaux, 75475 Paris Cedex 10, France
Clin Trials 5:595-606. 2008..However, in certain vulnerable populations, such as neonates or infants, there is an heightened requirement for safety, precluding randomization...
- Acuity and case management: a healthy dose of outcomes, part IIIDiane L Huber
Colleges of Nursing and Public Health, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
Prof Case Manag 12:254-69; quiz 270-1. 2007..Part II further explained dosage and 2 acuity instruments, the Acuity Tool and AccuDiff. Part III presents linkage to EBP and practical applications...
- Supply-side risk adjustment and outlier payment policyMichel Mougeot
University of Franche Comte, CRESE, Besancon Cedex, France
J Health Econ 27:1196-200. 2008....
- African regional external quality assessment for CD4 T-cell enumeration: development, outcomes, and performance of laboratoriesDeborah K Glencross
Department of Molecular Medicine and Haematology, University of the Witwatersrand, Faculty of Health Sciences and the South African National Health Laboratory Service, Johannesburg, South Africa
Cytometry B Clin Cytom 74:S69-79. 2008..The overall performance from 2002 to 2006 (Trials 1-20) is reported, together with cumulative longitudinal performance of the different CD4 methods used...
- Evaluation of a risk-adjustment model for pressure ulcer development using the Minimum Data SetD R Berlowitz
Sections of General Internal Medicine and Geriatrics, Boston Medical Center, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
J Am Geriatr Soc 49:872-6. 2001..Nursing homes differ significantly in their expected rates of pressure ulcer development. Outlier identification also differs depending on whether unadjusted or risk-adjusted performance is evaluated...
- CMS rejiggers outlier rulesJeff Tieman
Mod Healthc 34:10. 2004
- Final inpatient rehabilitation PPS rule improves on proposed ruleM Reynolds
Health Law Practice Group, ShawPittman LLP, Washington, DC, USA
Healthc Financ Manage 55:68-70. 2001....
- Describing Iranian hospital activity using Australian Refined DRGs: a case study of the Iranian Social Security OrganisationShahram Ghaffari
School of Population Health, University of Queensland, Herston QLD 4006, Australia
Health Policy 87:63-71. 2008..To describe Iran's hospital activity with Australian Refined Diagnosis Related Groups (AR-DRGs)...
- Tenet settles outlier lawsuit. Fla. official's lawsuit yield dollar 7 million paymentVince Galloro
Mod Healthc 36:8-9. 2006
- Lowered expectations. Proposed cuts in LTAC payments disturb hospitalsJessica Zigmond
Mod Healthc 36:14. 2006
- On the lookout. CMS studies outlier billing practicesLaura B Benko
Mod Healthc 32:14. 2002
- Casemix in Singapore - 5 years onE K Lim
Healthcare Finance Division, Minitry of Health, Singapore
Ann Acad Med Singapore 33:660-1. 2004
- Long-term care hospital PPS creates opportunity for coders. Proposed rule addresses related coding issuesSusan Hull
J AHIMA 74:58-60. 2003
- Describing Chinese hospital activity with diagnosis related groups (DRGs). A case study in ChengduZhiping Gong
School of Public Health, Faculty of Health Sciences, LaTrobe University, 29 Barwon Av Reservoir, Bundoora, VIC 3086, Australia
Health Policy 69:93-100. 2004..To examine the applicability of an Australian casemix classification system to the description of Chinese hospital activity...
- Change is not so bad. Host of outpatient PPS adjustments draws little reaction from hospital industryTony Fong
Mod Healthc 34:12. 2004
- Medicare implications of discounts to the uninsuredChristopher L Keough
Vinson and Elkins, LLP, Washington, DC, USA
Healthc Financ Manage 58:40-3. 2004..If you're considering making changes to your hospital's policy, you'll need to understand the current regulatory environment, recognize potential concerns, and develop a plan of action that complies with recent HHS guidance...
- Hospitals await final outlier ruleChristopher L Keough
Vinson and Elkins, LLP, Washington, D C, USA
Healthc Financ Manage 57:30-4. 2003
- Analysis of the expenses linked to hospital stays: how to detect outliersC Beguin
Centre d Informatique Médicale, Cliniques Universitaires Saint Luc, Universite Catholique de Louvain, Belgium
Health Care Manag Sci 7:89-96. 2004..The too-efficient stays are highlighted and described. The mean expenses are estimated after excluding too-efficient and inefficient stays. This mean is higher than the mean estimated by using classical trimming rules...
- Relationship between hospital structural level and length of stay outliers. Implications for hospital payment systemsFrancesc Cots
Health Services Research Unit, Municipal Institute of Health, IMAS, Hospital del Mar, Passeig Marítim 25 29 E 08003, Barcelona, Spain
Health Policy 68:159-68. 2004..However, the relationship between hospital structural level and the presence of cases of extreme resource use (outliers) is not known. Some prospective payment systems pay these cases separately...
- Are your outlier charges likely to raise CMS scrutiny?Margaret Davino
Kaufman Borgeest and Ryan, LLP, New York, USA
Healthc Financ Manage 58:40-4. 2004....
- Stability of risk-adjusted primary cesarean delivery rates over timeJennifer L Bailit
Division of Maternal Fetal Medicine, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, MetroHealth Medical Center, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Am J Obstet Gynecol 190:395-400. 2004..The purpose of this study was to compare how hospital rankings, based on risk-adjusted primary cesarean rates, change over time...
- Judging trauma center quality: does it depend on the choice of outcomes?Laurent G Glance
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry, New York 14642, USA
J Trauma 56:165-72. 2004..However, the use of survival as a measure of the effectiveness of trauma care may be too limited in scope because it fails to capture information regarding functional outcomes...
- The use of fixed- and random-effects models for classifying hospitals as mortality outliers: a Monte Carlo assessmentPeter C Austin
Institute for Clinical Evaluative Sciences, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Med Decis Making 23:526-39. 2003..There is an increasing movement towards the release of hospital "report-cards. "However, there is a paucity of research into the abilities of the different methods to correctly classify hospitals as performance outliers...
- Comparison of methods to identify outliers observed in health services small area variation studiesTeresa To
Population Health Sciences, Research Institute, Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Stat Methods Med Res 12:531-46. 2003..The chi2 remains a useful tool in small area variation analysis to 'screen' or flag potential differences beyond chance alone...
- It's more than just Tenet. Analysis shows not-for-profit hospitals, including a cluster in New Jersey, also heavily rely on outlier paymentsMary Chris Jaklevic
Mod Healthc 33:4-5, 9, 1. 2003..At left, Saint Barnabas Medical Center in Livingston, N.J., ranks among hospitals with a high reliance on outlier payments...
- CMS' inpatient surprise. Outlier threshold cut; transfer policy remainsJeff Tieman
Mod Healthc 33:8-9. 2003
- Managing costly Medicare patients in the hospitalDee Tucker
Sixty Plus Older Adult Services, Piedmont Hospital, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Geriatr Nurs 24:294-7. 2003..Community follow up is provided by social workers to complete the continuum. Positive outcomes from this project suggest that nursing can identify and successfully intervene with high-cost Medicare patients...
- The other shoe drops. Barbakow, already set to lose chairman's seat, out as Tenet's CEO; shareholders, analyst call for outsider as his replacementVince Galloro
Mod Healthc 33:4-5, 16, 1. 2003..stepped down last week from the company he headed during a period of glowing prosperity. But as he departs, Tenet is surrounded by a tempest similar to the one that led to his hiring...
- Prospective casemix-based funding, analysis and financial impact of cost outliers in all-patient refined diagnosis related groups in three Belgian general hospitalsMagali Pirson
School of Public Health, Universite Libre de Bruxelles, Brussels, Belgium
Eur J Health Econ 7:55-65. 2006..The billing generated by these patients largely compensates for costs generated. Length of stay and charges are not a good approximation to select cost outliers...
- Handling outliers in brain tumour MRS data analysis through robust topographic mappingAlfredo Vellido
Universitat Politecnica de Catalunya UPC, Soft Computing Group, c Jordi Girona, 1 3, 08034, Barcelona, Spain
Comput Biol Med 36:1049-63. 2006..The effectiveness of this model on the MRS data is demonstrated empirically...
- Hospitals say it's not enough. Medicare payment update won't outpace inflationTony Fong
Mod Healthc 35:8-9. 2005
- Hospitals. Portrait of a failureKen Terry
Med Econ 82:26-30. 2005
- Evaluating trauma center quality: does the choice of the severity-adjustment model make a difference?Laurent G Glance
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry, NY 14642, USA
J Trauma 58:1265-71. 2005..The primary trauma outcome prediction models used for evaluating the quality of trauma care, TRISS and ASCOT (A Severity Characterization of Trauma), were developed using the MTOS database...
- A weak hand? Lawyer: filing shows holes in feds' outlier case against TenetVince Galloro
Mod Healthc 35:18. 2005
- Analysis of cost outliers after gastric bypass surgery: what can we learn?Robert N Cooney
Departments of Surgery, The Penn State College of Medicine, Penn State Milton S Hershey Medical Center, Hershey, PA 17033, USA
Obes Surg 13:29-36. 2003..However, a reanalysis of GBS hospital costs identified a 16% incidence of "cost outliers". We hypothesized that analysis of clinical variables would identify factors associated with increased hospital costs following GBS...
- Relevance of outlier cases in case mix systems and evaluation of trimming methodsFrancesc Cots
Municipal Institute of Health, Health Service Research Unit, Hospital del Mar, Passeig Maritim 25 29, E 08003 Barcelona, Spain
Health Care Manag Sci 6:27-35. 2003..To determine the most appropriate outlier trimming method when the main source of information for case mix classification is length of stay (LOS) because cost information is unavailable...
- ROP in New York StateSandra M Brown
Ophthalmology 112:738; author reply 738-9. 2005
- Tenet's new tangle. Other states could follow Fla. with racketeering chargesMelanie Evans
Mod Healthc 35:12. 2005
- Evidenced-based practice: priorities and implementation strategiesTom Ahrens
Barnes Jewish Hospital, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
AACN Clin Issues 16:36-42. 2005..This article illustrates steps in making EBP a reality by highlighting the management of outliers and severe sepsis and the implementation strategies for these conditions...
- [DRG evaluation results--state comparisons: MDK Baden-Württemberg versus MDK Westfalen-Lippe]P Dirschedl
MDK Baden Württemberg, Lahr, Germany
Gesundheitswesen 69:141-5. 2007..Result comparisons of this type can yield insights into streamlining of the review practice of Medical Review Boards, as well as increase the efficiency and effectiveness of the selection of cases...
- Defining excess resource utilization and identifying associated factors for trauma victimsG E O'Keefe
Department of Surgery, University of Texas, Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas 75235 9158, USA
J Trauma 46:473-8. 1999..The purpose of this study is to estimate expected hospital LOS after trauma and determine the consequences of excessive LOS...
- Analyzing hospital length of stay: mean or median regression?Andy H Lee
School of Public Health, Curtin University of Technology, Perth, WA, Australia
Med Care 41:681-6. 2003..Length of stay (LOS) is an important measure of hospital activity and health care utilization, but its empirical distribution is often positively skewed...
- Influence of Japan's new Diagnosis Procedure Combination-based payment system on the surgical sector: does it really shorten the hospital stay?Hideo Yasunaga
Department of Planning, Information, and Management, University of Tokyo Hospital, 7 3 1 Hongo, Tokyo, Japan
Surg Today 36:577-85. 2006..We analyzed the influence of this system on hospital revenue and expenditure, focusing on whether it reduces the length of stay in hospital (LOS), particularly in the surgical sector...
- Strong tenets. For the acting CEO at no. 2 hospital chain, three R's could be relationships, risk-taking and responsibilityVince Galloro
Mod Healthc 33:32-3, 35. 2003
- Are Volume Standards Accurate Measures of Quality?Laurent Glance; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..