Genomes and Genes
Summary: The number of males per 100 females.
Publications332 found, 100 shown here
- The male disadvantage and the seasonal rhythm of sex ratio at the time of conceptionA Cagnacci
Department of Obstetrics Gynecology and Pediatric Sciences, Gynecology Unit, Policlinico of Modena, Via del Pozzo 71, 41100, Modena, Italy
Hum Reprod 18:885-7. 2003In accordance with a presumed greater fragility of male versus female pregnancies, we tested whether sex ratio (male/female ratio) of vital pregnancies is higher in seasons more favourable for reproduction.
- Sex-ratio adjustment when relatives interact: a test of constraints on adaptationStuart A West
Institute of Evolutionary Biology, School of Biological Sciences, University of Edinburgh, West Mains Road, Edinburgh EH9 3JT, United Kingdom
Evolution 59:1211-28. 2005..this field concerns the extent to which the ability of individuals to adaptively manipulate their offspring sex ratio is determined by constraints such as the method of sex determination...
- DNA methylation of the gonadal aromatase (cyp19a) promoter is involved in temperature-dependent sex ratio shifts in the European sea bassLaia Navarro-Martín
Institut de Ciencies del Mar, Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Cientificas CSIC, Barcelona, Spain
PLoS Genet 7:e1002447. 2011b>Sex ratio shifts in response to temperature are common in fish and reptiles. However, the mechanism linking temperature during early development and sex ratios has remained elusive...
- Sex ratio of multiple sclerosis in Canada: a longitudinal studySarah Michelle Orton
Wellcome Trust Centre for Human Genetics and Department of Clinical Neurology, University of Oxford, Oxford, UK
Lancet Neurol 5:932-6. 2006..We reasoned that if a sex-specific change in incidence was occurring, the female to male sex ratio would serve as a surrogate of incidence change.
- A single gene causes both male sterility and segregation distortion in Drosophila hybridsNitin Phadnis
Department of Biology, University of Rochester, Rochester, NY 14627 0211, USA
Science 323:376-9. 2009..This segregation distorter gene is essential for hybrid sterility, a strong reproductive barrier between these young taxa. Our results suggest that genetic conflict may be an important evolutionary force in speciation...
- Sex ratio of multiple sclerosis in the National Swedish MS Register (SMSreg)Inger Boström
Department of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, Division of Neuroscience, Linkoping University, Sweden
Mult Scler 19:46-52. 2013b>Sex ratio in multiple sclerosis has been reported from several geographical areas. The disease is more common in women. In Europe the female-to-male ratio varies from 1.1 to 3.4...
- The influence of operational sex ratio on the intensity of competition for matesLaura K Weir
Department of Biological Sciences, Simon Fraser University, Burnaby, British Columbia V5A 1S6, Canada
Am Nat 177:167-76. 2011..The operational sex ratio (OSR) is often used as a predictor of the intensity of competition for mates, as it describes the relative ..
- Geographical variations in sex ratio trends over time in multiple sclerosisMaria Trojano
Department of Neuroscience and Sense Organs, University of Bari, Bari, Italy
PLoS ONE 7:e48078. 2012..So far, a direct comparison of sex ratio time-trends among MS populations from different geographical areas was not carried out.
- Experimental evolution exposes female and male responses to sexual selection and conflict in Tribolium castaneumŁukasz Michalczyk
School of Biological Sciences, University of East Anglia, Norwich NR4 7TJ, United Kingdom
Evolution 65:713-24. 2011..Subsequent assays suggest that these differences were not due to postcopulatory sperm competitiveness, but to precopulatory/copulatory competitive male mating behavior...
- Environment and sex determination in farmed fishJ F Baroiller
CIRAD EMVT, Station Commune de Recherches en Ichtyophysiologie, Biodiversité et Environnement, INRA SCRIBE, Campus de Beaulieu, 35042 Rennes Cedex, France
Comp Biochem Physiol C Toxicol Pharmacol 130:399-409. 2001..demonstration that environmental factors (temperature, pH, density and social interactions) could influence the sex ratio in gonochoristic species has been relatively recent...
- Causes and consequences of animal dispersal strategies: relating individual behaviour to spatial dynamicsDiana E Bowler
UUniversity of Aberdeen, School of Biological Sciences, Tillydrone Avenue, Aberdeen
Biol Rev Camb Philos Soc 80:205-25. 2005..Further studies are necessary to explore the importance of incorporating specific condition-dependent dispersal strategies for evolutionary and population dynamic predictions...
- A polygenic hypothesis for sex determination in the European sea bass Dicentrarchus labraxMarc Vandeputte
INRA, UR544 Génétique des Poissons, F 78350 Jouy en Josas, France
Genetics 176:1049-57. 2007..In the European sea bass, temperature is known to influence the sex ratio. We set up a factorial mating, producing 5...
- Family size, fertility preferences, and sex ratio in China in the era of the one child family policy: results from national family planning and reproductive health surveyQu Jian Ding
Institute of Population Studies, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou 310012, PR China
BMJ 333:371-3. 2006To examine the impact of the one child family policy in China on fertility, preferred family size, and sex ratio.
- Maternal diet and other factors affecting offspring sex ratio: a reviewCheryl S Rosenfeld
University of Missouri Columbia, Columbia, MO 65211, USA
Biol Reprod 71:1063-70. 2004..hypothesis of Trivers and Willard has provided a rational evolutionary underpinning to adaptive changes in sex ratio. Here, we review circumstances whereby ruminants and other mammalian species, especially rodents and primates, ..
- Sex-ratio segregation distortion associated with reproductive isolation in DrosophilaY Tao
Department of Developmental, Cell, and Molecular Biology, Duke University, Durham, NC 27708, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 98:13183-8. 2001..even more frequently than direct observations suggest, because the dysgenic population consequences of a biased sex ratio are expected to result in the rapid evolution of suppressors, resulting in suppressed or "cryptic" ..
- Trends in selective abortions of girls in India: analysis of nationally representative birth histories from 1990 to 2005 and census data from 1991 to 2011Prabhat Jha
Centre for Global Health Research, Li Ka Shing Knowledge Institute, St Michael s Hospital and Dalla Lana School of Public Health, University of Toronto, ON, Canada
Lancet 377:1921-8. 2011..We aimed to establish the trends in sex ratio by birth order from 1990 to 2005 with three nationally representative surveys and to quantify the totals of ..
- Reproductive biology of albacore Thunnus alalungaK S Chen
Institute of Oceanography, College of Science, National Taiwan University, Taipei, 10617 Taiwan, Republic of China
J Fish Biol 77:119-36. 2010..In the sex ratio examination, males greatly outnumbered females in large adult fish (L(F) > 100 cm)...
- Hypotheses on the stability and variation of human sex ratios at birthWilliam H James
The Galton Laboratory, Department of Genetics, Evolution and Environment, University College London, Wolfson House, 4 Stephenson Way, London NW1 2HE, United Kingdom
J Theor Biol 310:183-6. 2012..A) The causes of the stability are not established. B) There are several hypotheses which purport to explain sex ratio variation. 1. The Trivers–Willard hypothesis has had only limited success...
- Could maternal testosterone levels govern mammalian sex ratio deviations?Valerie J Grant
Psychological Medicine, Faculty of Medical and Health Sciences, University of Auckland, Private Bag 92019, Auckland 1, New Zealand
J Theor Biol 246:708-19. 2007....
- Breeding periodicity for male sea turtles, operational sex ratios, and implications in the face of climate changeGraeme C Hays
Department of Pure and Applied Ecology, Institute of Environmental Sustainability, Swansea University, Singleton Park, Swansea SA2 8PP, UK
Conserv Biol 24:1636-43. 2010..Males returned to breed at least twice as frequently as females. We estimated that the hatchling sex ratio of 70:30 female to male for this rookery will translate into an overall operational sex ratio (OSR) (i.e...
- Missing women--revisitedAmartya Sen
BMJ 327:1297-8. 2003
- Unifying cornerstones of sexual selection: operational sex ratio, Bateman gradient and the scope for competitive investmentHanna Kokko
Centre of Excellence in Biological Interactions, Division of Ecology, Evolution and Genetics, Research School of Biology, Australian National University, Canberra, ACT 0200, Australia
Ecol Lett 15:1340-51. 2012..The Bateman gradient and the operational sex ratio (OSR) are incomplete in complementary ways: the former describes the fitness gain per mating and the latter the ..
- Selection and maintenance of androdioecy in Caenorhabditis elegansAndrew D Stewart
Department of Biology, University of Texas, Arlington, Texas 76019 0498, USA
Genetics 160:975-82. 2002..Factors such as variation in male mating ability and inbreeding depression could potentially lead to the long-term maintenance of males...
- Extreme reversed sexual dichromatism in a bird without sex role reversalRobert Heinsohn
Centre for Resource and Environmental Studies, Australian National University, Canberra, ACT 0200 Australia
Science 309:617-9. 2005..Females are liberated from the need for camouflage but compete for rare nest hollows...
- Population dynamics of male-killing and non-male-killing spiroplasmas in Drosophila melanogasterHisashi Anbutsu
Institute for Biological Resources and Functions, National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology, AIST Tsukuba Central 6, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305 8566, Japan
Appl Environ Microbiol 69:1428-34. 2003..The extents of the bottleneck in the vertical transmission through host generations were estimated to be 5 x 10(-5) for NSRO and 3 x 10(-4) for NSRO-A...
- Climate effects on offspring sex ratio in a viviparous lizardErik Wapstra
School of Zoology, University of Tasmania, Hobart, TAS 7001, Australia
J Anim Ecol 78:84-90. 2009..This is the first study to demonstrate the effect of local climatic conditions (e.g. temperature) on offspring sex ratio fluctuations in a free-living population of a viviparous ectotherm...
- Evidence for a role of paternal exposures in developmental toxicitySylvaine Cordier
Inserm U625, University of Rennes, Rennes, France
Basic Clin Pharmacol Toxicol 102:176-81. 2008..studies have included paternal exposures as an add-on to existing studies and focused mainly on birth defects, sex ratio, childhood cancers or spontaneous abortions...
- Feminization of genetic males by a symbiotic bacterium in a butterfly, Eurema hecabe (Lepidoptera: Pieridae)Masato Hiroki
Department of Biology, International Christian University, Mitaka, Tokyo, Japan
Naturwissenschaften 89:167-70. 2002..Breeding experiments showed that this distorted sex ratio is maternally inherited...
- The quantitative genetic basis of sex ratio variation in Nasonia vitripennis: a QTL studyB A Pannebakker
Institute of Evolutionary Biology, School of Biological Sciences, University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, UK
J Evol Biol 24:12-22. 2011..Here, we examine the genetic basis of sex ratio variation in the parasitoid wasp Nasonia vitripennis, a species well known for its response to local mate ..
- Parental investment, sexual selection and sex ratiosHanna Kokko
Laboratory of Ecological and Evolutionary Dynamics, Department of Biological and Environmental Science, University of Helsinki, Helsinki, Finland
J Evol Biol 21:919-48. 2008..The second argument takes the reasonable premise that anisogamy produces a male-biased operational sex ratio (OSR) leading to males competing for mates...
- Potential mechanisms of avian sex manipulationThomas W Pike
Evolution and Behaviour Research Group, School of Biology, Henry Wellcome Building, University of Newcastle, Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 4HH, UK
Biol Rev Camb Philos Soc 78:553-74. 2003..The ideas outlined in this review provide good starting points for testing the hypotheses both experimentally (behaviourally and physiologically) and theoretically...
- In search of determinants: gene expression during gonadal sex differentiationK R Siegfried
Max Planck Institute for Developmental Biology, Department of Genetics, Spemannstrasse 35, 72076 Tuebingen, Germany
J Fish Biol 76:1879-902. 2010..In the future, it will be essential to develop tools to assay the function of genes expressed during gonadal sex differentiation in fish...
- Tilapia sex determination: Where temperature and genetics meetJ F Baroiller
Dept Persyst, CIRAD, Upr20, Campus International de Baillarguet, Montpellier, France
Comp Biochem Physiol A Mol Integr Physiol 153:30-8. 2009..The coexistence of GSD and TSD is discussed...
- Single-species models of the Allee effect: extinction boundaries, sex ratios and mate encountersDavid S Boukal
Department of Theoretical Biology, Institute of Entomology, Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic, Branisovska 31, 370 05 Ceske Budejovice, Czech Republic
J Theor Biol 218:375-94. 2002..recognized: (1) one-dimensional heuristic models, (2) one-dimensional models with mating probability and fixed sex ratio, and (3) two-sex models with variable adult sex ratio...
- Female resistance to male harm evolves in response to manipulation of sexual conflictStuart Wigby
Department of Biology, University College London, Darwin Building, Gower Street, London, WC1E 6BT, United Kingdom
Evolution 58:1028-37. 2004..We manipulated the intensity of sexual conflict by experimentally altering adult sex ratio. We created replicated lines of D...
- Population density affects sex ratio variation in red deerL E Kruuk
Department of Zoology, University of Cambridge, UK
Nature 399:459-61. 1999Many mammal populations show significant deviations from an equal sex ratio at birth, but these effects are notoriously inconsistent...
- Outcrossing and the maintenance of males within C. elegans populationsJennifer L Anderson
Center for Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, University of Oregon, Eugene, OR 97403, USA
J Hered 101:S62-74. 2010..Laboratory and field results still await full reconciliation, which may be facilitated by identifying the loci underlying among-strain differences in mating system dynamics...
- Sex-dependent selection on an autosomal melanic female ornament promotes the evolution of sex ratio biasAlexandre Roulin
Department of Ecology and Evolution, University of Lausanne, Biophore 1015 Lausanne, Switzerland
Ecol Lett 13:616-26. 2010..These sex ratio biases appear adaptive because sons of male-like females and daughters of female-like males had above-average ..
- Abnormal sex ratios in human populations: causes and consequencesTherese Hesketh
Institute of Child Health, University College London, 30 Guildford Street, London WCI N1EH, United Kingdom
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:13271-5. 2006In the absence of manipulation, both the sex ratio at birth and the population sex ratio are remarkably constant in human populations...
- Decline in sex ratio at birth after 10-day war in Slovenia: brief communicationBranko Zorn
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, University Medical Centre Ljubljana, Faculty of Medicine, University of Ljubljana, Slovenia
Hum Reprod 17:3173-7. 2002We investigated whether the psychological stress related to a short war (26 June-7 July, 1991) in Slovenia induced changes in fertility, sex ratio at birth and semen quality characteristics.
- Maternally derived carotenoid pigments affect offspring survival, sex ratio, and sexual attractiveness in a colorful songbirdK J McGraw
Department of Neurobiology and Behavior, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY, 14853, USA
Naturwissenschaften 92:375-80. 2005..female zebra finches (Taeniopygia guttata) deposit into egg yolks influence embryonic and nestling survival, the sex ratio of fledged offspring, and the eventual ornamental coloration displayed by their offspring as adults...
- Temperature-related birth sex ratio bias in historical Sami: warm years bring more sonsSamuli Helle
Section of Ecology, Department of Biology, University of Turku, 20014 Turku, Finland
Biol Lett 4:60-2. 2008The birth sex ratio of vertebrates with chromosomal sex determination has been shown to respond to environmental variability, such as temperature...
- Gingival recession, gingival bleeding, and dental calculus in adults 30 years of age and older in the United States, 1988-1994J M Albandar
National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD, USA
J Periodontol 70:30-43. 1999....
- Sex ratio bias, male aggression, and population collapse in lizardsJean François Le Galliard
Laboratoire Fonctionnement et Evolution des Systemes Ecologiques, Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique, Unite Mixte de Recherche 7625, Ecole Normale Superieure, Paris, France
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 102:18231-6. 2005The adult sex ratio (ASR) is a key parameter of the demography of human and other animal populations, yet the causes of variation in ASR, how individuals respond to this variation, and how their response feeds back into population ..
- Estrogenic exposure affects metamorphosis and alters sex ratios in the northern leopard frog (Rana pipiens): identifying critically vulnerable periods of developmentNatacha S Hogan
Centre for Advanced Research in Environmental Genomics, Department of Biology, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ont, Canada
Gen Comp Endocrinol 156:515-23. 2008..Tadpoles exposed early in development displayed a strong female-biased sex ratio compared to the controls...
- Variations in sex ratio, feeding, and fecundity of Triatoma dimidiata (Hemiptera: Reduviidae) among habitats in the Yucatan Peninsula, MexicoV Payet
Laboratorio de Parasitologia, Centro de Investigaciones Regionales Dr Hideyo Noguchi, Universidad Autonoma de Yucatan, Merida, Mexico
Vector Borne Zoonotic Dis 9:243-51. 2009..Dispersal was highly seasonal and correlated with temperature, pressure, and wind speed. Analysis of sex ratio, feeding status, and fecundity of sylvatic populations of T...
- Different sex ratios of children born to Indian and Pakistani immigrants in NorwayNarpinder Singh
Division of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Rikshospitalet University Hospital, Oslo, Norway
BMC Pregnancy Childbirth 10:40. 2010....
- Fitness effects of X chromosome drive in the stalk-eyed fly, Cyrtodiopsis dalmanniG S Wilkinson
Department of Biology, University of Maryland, College Park, MD 20742, USA
J Evol Biol 19:1851-60. 2006..By screening male stalk-eyed flies, Cyrtodiopsis dalmanni, for brood sex ratio we found unique SR alleles at three X-linked microsatellite loci and used them to determine if SR persists as a ..
- Persistent unequal sex ratio in a population of grayling (Salmonidae) and possible role of temperature increaseClaus Wedekind
Department of Ecology and Evolution, Biophore, University of Lausanne, 1015 Lausanne, Switzerland
Conserv Biol 27:229-34. 2013..of a strong genetic bottleneck that would explain the apparent lack of evolutionary response to the unequal sex ratio. Results of other studies show no evidence of endocrine disruptors in the study area...
- Sexual shape and size dimorphism in carabid beetles of the genus Ceroglossus: is geometric body size similar between sexes due to sex ratio?Hugo A Benítez
Faculty of Life Sciences, University of Manchester, Michael Smith Building, Oxford Road, Manchester M13 9PT, UK
Zoolog Sci 30:289-95. 2013..occurrence of sexual shape dimorphism and the correlation between geometric body size in males and females and sex ratio in the genus Ceroglossus (Coleoptera: Carabidae) using geometric morphometrics and randomization analysis...
- Is there a sex ratio difference in the familial aggregation of specific language impairment? A meta-analysisAndrew J O Whitehouse
Telethon Institute for Child Health Research, Centre for Child Health Research, University of Western Australia, 100 Roberts Road, Subiaco 6008, Western Australia
J Speech Lang Hear Res 53:1015-25. 2010..This meta-analysis examined whether there is a sex ratio difference in the risk for impairment among family members of an SLI proband and whether this is mediated by ..
- Effect of energy source during culture on in vitro embryo development, resistance to cryopreservation and sex ratioMarcello Rubessa
DISCIZIA, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Federico II University, Napoli, Italy
Theriogenology 76:1347-55. 2011..and/or embryotrophic compounds would affect the in vitro development, the resistance to cryopreservation and the sex ratio of bovine embryos...
- Insecticidal juvenile hormone analogs stimulate the production of male offspring in the crustacean Daphnia magnaAllen W Olmstead
Department of Environmental and Molecular Toxicology, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, North Carolina 27695 7633, USA
Environ Health Perspect 111:919-24. 2003..The occurrence of such an effect in the environment could have dire consequences on susceptible crustacean populations...
- Sex ratio and associated risk factors for 50 congenital anomaly types: clues for causal heterogeneityMonica Rittler
Latin American Collaborative Study of Congenital Malformations, WHO Collaborating Centre for the Prevention of Birth Defects ECLAMC at Hospital Materno Infantil Ramón Sardá, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Birth Defects Res A Clin Mol Teratol 70:13-9. 2004b>Sex ratio (SR) deviations have been reported for many congenital anomalies, but so far no satisfactory explanation for these deviations has been found...
- Budding dispersal and the sex ratioA Gardner
Institute of Evolutionary Biology, University of Edinburgh, West Mains Road, Edinburgh, UK
J Evol Biol 22:1036-45. 2009..Here, we consider the impact of rate and pattern of dispersal upon a classic social evolutionary trait--the sex ratio. We recover existing analytical results for individual dispersal, and we extend these to allow for budding ..
- Sex ratio at birth in India, its relation to birth order, sex of previous children and use of indigenous medicineSamiksha Manchanda
Department of Neonatology and Pediatrics, St Stephen Hospital, Delhi, India
PLoS ONE 6:e20097. 2011..Our aim was to prospectively study in a large maternal and child unit sex-ratio against previous birth sex and use of traditional medicines for sex selection...
- Infection by a vertically-transmitted microsporidian parasite is associated with a female-biased sex ratio and survival advantage in the amphipod Gammarus roeseliE R Haine
Equipe Ecologie Evolutive, UMR CNRS 5561 Biogeosciences, Universite de Bourgogne, 6 Boulevard Gabriel, 21000 Dijon, France
Parasitology 134:1363-7. 2007..We investigated these predictions in a study on the survival and sex ratio of offspring of the amphipod Gammarus roeseli from females infected by the vertically transmitted microsporidia ..
- Adverse effects in wild fish living downstream from pharmaceutical manufacture dischargesWilfried Sanchez
Institut National de l Environnement Industriel et des Risques INERIS, Unité d Ecotoxicologie in vitro et in vivo, Verneuil en Halatte, France
Environ Int 37:1342-8. 2011..Overall, this study gives argument for the utilisation of an effect-based monitoring approach to assess impacts of pharmaceutical manufacture discharges on wild fish populations...
- Scrotal heat stress effects on sperm viability, sperm DNA integrity, and the offspring sex ratio in miceM Perez-Crespo
Dpto de Reproducción Animal y Conservación de Recursos Zoogenéticos, INIA, Madrid, Spain
Mol Reprod Dev 75:40-7. 2008..and progressive motility, sperm DNA integrity as established by the TUNEL method, embryo implantation rate, and sex ratio of the fetuses conceived using the heat-exposed spermatozoa...
- Environmentally relevant concentrations of ethynylestradiol cause female-biased sex ratios in Xenopus tropicalis and Rana temporariaIrina Pettersson
Department of Environmental Toxicology, Centre for Reproductive Biology in Uppsala CRU, Uppsala University, Norbyvägen 18 A, 752 36 Uppsala, Sweden
Environ Toxicol Chem 26:1005-9. 2007..The susceptibility of the two frog species to EE2 was comparable, supporting the use of X. tropicalis as a model organism for research on developmental reproductive toxicity of estrogenic pollutants...
- Partnership status and the human sex ratio at birthKaren Norberg
National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge, MA 02138, USA
Proc Biol Sci 271:2403-10. 2004..for the reproductive success of sons and daughters, then natural selection may favour adjustment of the sex ratio at birth according to circumstances that forecast later family structure...
- The human sex ratio: effects of maternal ageJanne Rueness
Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics, Medical Faculty Division, Akershus University Hospital, 1478 Lørenskog, Norway
Hum Reprod 27:283-7. 2012..Low or high maternal age may represent stress for the fetus. Our aim was therefore to study whether the sex ratio differs by maternal age in all pregnancies, and in separate analyses, to assess the sex ratio in pregnancies ..
- Offspring sex and pregnancy outcome by length of gestationLars J Vatten
Department of Public Health and General Practice, Norwegian University of Science and Technology, NO 7489 Trondheim, Norway
Early Hum Dev 76:47-54. 2004..The unbalanced pregnancy survival by offspring sex may also be reflected in higher proportion of preterm male births, and in unbalanced sex distribution in certain pregnancy conditions, such as preeclampsia...
- Estrogenic potency of chemicals detected in sewage treatment plant effluents as determined by in vivo assays with Japanese medaka (Oryzias latipes)C D Metcalfe
Environmental and Resource Studies Program, Trent University, Peterborough, Ontario K9J 7B8, Canada
Environ Toxicol Chem 20:297-308. 2001....
- The sex ratio of singleton offspring in assisted-conception pregnanciesBarbara Luke
Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology, and Reproductive Biology and Department of Epidemiology, Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan 48824, USA
Fertil Steril 92:1579-85. 2009To evaluate the effect of intracytoplasmic sperm injection (ICSI) and male factor infertility on the sex ratio in births from assisted reproductive technology.
- Experimental evolution of reduced sex ratio adjustment under local mate competitionEmilie Macke
Institut des Sciences de l Evolution, UMR 5554, Universite Montpellier 2, Place Eugene Bataillon, Montpellier Cedex 05, France
Science 334:1127-9. 2011..indirect and comes from comparative studies or from studies showing that individuals can adjust their offspring sex ratio in response to varying LMC intensities...
- Mating behavior, population growth, and the operational sex ratio: a periodic two-sex model approachStephanie Jenouvrier
Biology Department, MS 34, Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, Woods Hole, Massachusetts 02543, USA
Am Nat 175:739-52. 2010..g., operational sex ratio). The periodic formulation permits inclusion of highly seasonal behavioral events...
- Site-specific selfish genes as tools for the control and genetic engineering of natural populationsAustin Burt
Department of Biological Sciences and Centre for Population Biology, Imperial College, Silwood Park, Ascot, Berkshire SL5 7PY, UK
Proc Biol Sci 270:921-8. 2003..By targeting sex-linked loci just prior to meiosis one may skew the population sex ratio, and by changing the promoter one may limit the spread of the gene to neighbouring populations...
- The effect of glucosamine concentration on the development and sex ratio of bovine embryosKoji Kimura
National Institute of Livestock and Grassland Science, 768 Nasushiobara, Tochigi 329 2793, Japan
Anim Reprod Sci 103:228-38. 2008..Moreover, the inactivation of the second X chromosome in female embryos is influential in producing the sex ratio bias observed in vitro when embryos are cultured in the presence of glucose above 2.5mM...
- Effects of antifolates--co-trimoxazole and pyrimethamine-sulfadoxine--on gametocytes in children with acute, symptomatic, uncomplicated, Plasmodium falciparum malariaA Sowunmi
Department of Pharmacology and Therapeutics, Institute for Medical Research and Training, Ibadan, Nigeria
Mem Inst Oswaldo Cruz 100:451-5. 2005..35, df = 1, P = 0.02). Gametocyte sex ratio changes were similar following treatment with both drugs...
- Son-biased sex ratios in the 2000 United States CensusDouglas Almond
Department of Economics, Columbia University, New York, NY 10025, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 105:5681-2. 2008..We interpret the found deviation in favor of sons to be evidence of sex selection, most likely at the prenatal stage...
- Genetic manipulation of sex ratio for the large-scale breeding of YY super-male and XY all-male yellow catfish (Pelteobagrus fulvidraco (Richardson))Hanqin Liu
Key Laboratory of Ecological Impacts of Hydraulic projects and Restoration of Aquatic Ecosystem of Ministry of Water Resources, Institute of Hydroecology, Ministry of Water Resources and Chinese Academy of Sciences, Wuhan, 430079, People s Republic of China
Mar Biotechnol (NY) 15:321-8. 2013..We conclude that the mono-sex breeding technique by YY super-male yellow catfish is stable and reliable, which has great potential for application in yellow catfish aquaculture...
- Spatial and temporal demographic variation drives within-season fluctuations in sexual selectionMichael M Kasumovic
Integrative Behaviour and Neuroscience Group, University of Toronto at Scarborough, Toronto, ON, M1C 1A4, Canada
Evolution 62:2316-25. 2008..We demonstrate that there is within-season variation in sex ratio and density at multiple spatial and temporal scales...
- The rise and fall of excess male infant mortalityGreg L Drevenstedt
Davis School of Gerontology, College of Letter Arts and Sciences, University of Southern California, 3715 McClintock Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90089 0191, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 105:5016-21. 2008..This analysis provides evidence of marked changes in the sex ratio of mortality at an age when behavioral differences should be minimal.
- Extreme sex ratio variation in relation to change in condition around conceptionElissa Z Cameron
Mammal Research Institute, Department of Zoology and Entomology, University of Pretoria, Pretoria 0002, South Africa
Biol Lett 3:395-7. 2007Adaptive theory predicts that mothers would be advantaged by adjusting the sex ratio of their offspring in relation to their offspring's future reproductive success...
- Sex ratios under asymmetrical local mate competition: theory and a test with parasitoid waspsDavid M Shuker
Institute of Evolutionary Biology, School of Biological Sciences, University of Edinburgh, West Mains Road, Edinburgh EH9 3JT, United Kingdom
Am Nat 166:301-16. 2005b>Sex ratio theory allows unparalleled opportunities for testing how well animal behavior can be predicted by evolutionary theory...
- Faithful without care: the evolution of monogynyLutz Fromhage
Department of Evolutionary Biology and Ecology, University of Bonn, D 53121, Germany
Evolution 59:1400-5. 2005..Using a mathematical model, we show that monogyny as a means of increasing paternity is favored when the sex ratio is male biased, but not necessarily by high search costs...
- Intralocus sexual conflict and offspring sex ratioMasako Katsuki
Graduate School of Environmental Science, Okayama University, Tsushima naka 1 1 1, Okayama, Japan
Ecol Lett 15:193-7. 2012..Thus, these beetles are able to adaptively bias sex ratio and recoup indirect fitness benefits of mate choice.
- Declining sex ratio in a first nation communityConstanze A Mackenzie
Faculty of Medicine, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Environ Health Perspect 113:1295-8. 2005..In response to these concerns, we assessed the sex ratio (proportion of male births) of the Aamjiwnaang First Nation over the period 1984-2003 as part of a community-..
- The mismeasurement of sexual selectionH Klug
Department of Biological and Environmental Science, University of Helsinki, Finland
J Evol Biol 23:447-62. 2010..e. the operational sex ratio, OSR) and (ii) can be generally estimated by calculating intra-sexual variation in mating success (e.g...
- A model for the evolutionary maintenance of monogyny in spidersLutz Fromhage
School of Biological Sciences, University of Bristol, Woodland Road, Bristol BS8 1UG, UK
J Theor Biol 250:524-31. 2008..Our results suggest that, regardless of the mechanism of paternity enhancement involved, a male-biased sex ratio is generally required for the evolution and maintenance of monogyny...
- Association between sex ratio distortion and sexually antagonistic fitness consequences of female choiceTim Connallon
Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology and Museum of Zoology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, USA
Evolution 63:2179-83. 2009..fitness consequences have been predicted to influence the evolution of female mating biases and the offspring sex ratio. Females might evolve to prefer mates that provide good genes for daughters or might adjust offspring sex ratios ..
- H-Y antigen and homosexuality in menR Blanchard
Department of Psychiatry, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Theor Biol 185:373-8. 1997....
- A Trivers-Willard effect in contemporary humans: male-biased sex ratios among billionairesElissa Z Cameron
Mammal Research Institute, Department of Zoology and Entomology, University of Pretoria, Pretoria, South Africa
PLoS ONE 4:e4195. 2009Natural selection should favour the ability of mothers to adjust the sex ratio of offspring in relation to the offspring's potential reproductive success...
- Recent increase in sex ratio at birth in Viet NamChristophe Z Guilmoto
CEPED Université Paris Descartes Ined IRD, Paris, France
PLoS ONE 4:e4624. 2009Since the 1980s, sex ratio at birth (male births per 100 female births) has increased in many Asian countries as a result of selective abortions, but to date there has been no such evidence for Viet Nam...
- Social environment affects juvenile dispersal in great tits (Parus major)Marion Nicolaus
Animal Ecology Group Behavioural Ecology and Social Organization, Centre for Ecological and Evolutionary Studies, University of Groningen, Groningen, The Netherlands
J Anim Ecol 81:827-37. 2012..can be formulated regarding social effects on juvenile dispersal as follows: (i) High fledgling density and sex ratio may enhance the intensity of local (kin) competition and, therefore, reduce individual survival chance, enhance ..
- Can mammalian mothers influence the sex of their offspring peri-conceptually?Valerie J Grant
Department of Psychological Medicine Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Faculty of Medical and Health Sciences, University of Auckland, Private Bag 92019, Auckland 1142, New Zealand
Reproduction 140:425-33. 2010..Research on high-fat diets and the sex ratio in polytocous species may indicate important differences in proximate mechanisms for sex allocation between ..
- Offspring sex ratios in tree swallows: females in better condition produce more sonsL A Whittingham
Department of Biological Sciences, University of Wisconsin Milwaukee, 53201, USA
Mol Ecol 9:1123-9. 2000Organisms are expected to adjust the sex ratio of their offspring in relation to the relative fitness benefits of sons and daughters...
- Sex determination in the haplodiploid wasp Nasonia vitripennis (Hymenoptera: Chalcidoidea): a critical consideration of models and evidenceLeo W Beukeboom
Evolutionary Genetics, Centre for Ecological and Evolutionary Studies, Biological Centre, University of Groningen, P O Box 14, NL 9750 AA Haren, The Netherlands
Semin Cell Dev Biol 18:371-8. 2007..Research is now focused on the molecular details of sex determination in Nasonia...
- Multiple interacting loci control sex determination in lake Malawi cichlid fishJennifer R Ser
Department of Biology, University of Maryland, College Park, Maryland 20742, USA
Evolution 64:486-501. 2010....
- Male fetal loss in the U.S. following the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001Tim A Bruckner
Public Health and Planning, Policy and Design, University of California at Irvine, Irvine, CA, USA
BMC Public Health 10:273. 2010The secondary sex ratio (i.e., the odds of a male birth) reportedly declines following natural disasters, pollution events, and economic collapse...
- Demographic stochasticity, allee effects, and extinction: the influence of mating system and sex ratioAline Magdalena Lee
Department of Biology, Centre for Conservation Biology, Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Realfagsbygget, Trondheim, Norway
Am Nat 177:301-13. 2011..We use a stochastic pair-formation model to investigate the combined effects of mating system, sex ratio, and population size on demographic stochasticity and thus on extinction risk...
- Mother's occupation and sex ratio at birthKathreen E Ruckstuhl
University of Calgary, Department of Biological Sciences, 2500 University Drive NW, Calgary, Alberta, T2N 1N4, Canada
BMC Public Health 10:269. 2010....
- Experimental evidence that corticosterone affects offspring sex ratios in quailThomas W Pike
Evolution and Behaviour Research Group, School of Biology, University of Newcastle upon Tyne, Newcastle upon Tyne NE2 4HH, UK
Proc Biol Sci 273:1093-8. 2006Recent studies have shown that some species of birds have a remarkable degree of control over the sex ratio of offspring they produce. However, the mechanism by which they achieve this feat is unknown...
- Sex allocation and population structure in apicomplexan (protozoa) parasitesS A West
Institute of Cell, Animal and Population Biology, University of Edinburgh, UK
Proc Biol Sci 267:257-63. 2000..Local mate competition (LMC) theory predicts that the optimal sex ratio (r*; defined as proportion males) is related to the selfing rate (s) by the equation r* = (1-s)/2...
- Effects of 17-beta-estradiol treatment of female zebra finches on offspring sex ratio and survivalNikolaus von Engelhardt
Research Group Animal Behaviour, University of Groningen, 9750 AA Haren, The Netherlands
Horm Behav 45:306-13. 2004Treatment of female zebra finches (Taeniopygia guttata) with 17-beta-estradiol leads to a female-biased sex ratio in their offspring at the age of independence [Horm. Behav. 35 (1999) 135]...
- High progesterone during avian meiosis biases sex ratios toward femalesStephanie M Correa
Department of Neurobiology and Behavior, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853, USA
Biol Lett 1:215-8. 2005..We propose that variation in maternal progesterone during the critical time for genetic sex determination is the mechanism for primary sex ratio manipulation in birds.
- Experimentally increased testosterone affects social rank and primary sex ratio in the spotless starlingJosé P Veiga
Museo Nacional de Ciencias Naturales, CSIC, Jose Gutierrez Abascal 2, 28006 Madrid, Spain
Horm Behav 46:47-53. 2004..an indirect hormonal effect mediated by the interdependence among maternal hormones, female social rank, and sex ratio. Here, we report the results of a field experiment in which we manipulated the circulating levels of ..
- Fetal death sex ratios: a test of the economic stress hypothesisRalph Catalano
School of Public Health, University of California at Berkeley, Berkeley, CA 94720, USA
Int J Epidemiol 34:944-8. 2005The ratio of male to female live births (i.e. the sex ratio) reportedly falls when populations suffer rare and extreme ambient stressors such as the collapse of national economies...
- Two male-killing Wolbachia strains coexist within a population of the butterfly Acraea encedonF M Jiggins
Department of Genetics, Cambridge University, Downing Street, Cambridge, CB2 3EH, UK
Heredity (Edinb) 86:161-6. 2001..Whether this polymorphism is stable, and what forces may be maintaining it, are unknown...
- Epidemiological aspects of rheumatoid arthritis: the sex ratioTore K Kvien
Department of Rheumatology, Diakonhjemmet Hospital, Box 23 Vinderen, N 0319 Oslo, Norway
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1069:212-22. 2006..More research is needed to fully describe the differences between males and females regarding epidemiological data...
- Three-generation Human Study of Reproductive Effects of Marine Food ContaminantsPHILIPPE ADAM GRANDJEAN; Fiscal Year: 2010..will include measures of semen quality, ratio of X/Y chromosome-bearing sperm, chromatin stability of the sperm, sex ratio of births, and waiting time to pregnancy...
- Investigation of sex differences associated with autism candidate gene, Cyfip1DONNA MARIE WERLING; Fiscal Year: 2013..of genes associated with ASDs has advanced our understanding of the role of genetics in ASDs, but the skewed sex ratio in prevalence remains unexplained...
- Family and Health Consequences of Imbalanced Sex Ratios in IndiaScott J South; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): India has long experienced a numerical shortage of females, and this sex ratio imbalance is likely to grow with the widespread adoption of sex-selective abortion technologies...
- Role of fleas in transmission of rickettsiae: ecology of flea-borne spotted feverKEVIN MACALUSO; Fiscal Year: 2009..through adult tissues and immature stages of life cycle);c) flea fitness (fecundity and eclosion rates);and d) sex ratio distortion (comparative analysis of male:female ratios) will be measured in a controlled laboratory R. felis/C...
- Evolution of sex chromosome meiotic drive in stalk eyed fly populationsKimberly A Paczolt; Fiscal Year: 2013..Sex chromosome meiotic drive is caused by a selfish genetic element that produces a highly skewed offspring sex ratio, often by killing all Y-bearing spermatids during spermatogenesis...
- The Genetics and Genomics of Sex-Ratio Meiotic Drive in Drosophila AffinisRobert L Unckless; Fiscal Year: 2013..The biological insight obtaine from our analysis may shed light on the genetics of sex-ratio meiotic drive and sex chromosome evolution, both of which have implications for fertility. ..
- Computer-based Female Condom Education and Training for African American WomenSamantha L Leaf; Fiscal Year: 2013..In addition, high incarceration rates and mortality among Black men creates a sex ratio imbalance that exacerbates power differentials...
- Behavioral management of deleterious aggression in rhesus macaquesBrenda McCowan; Fiscal Year: 2011..strong evidence that individual, family and group characteristics such as temperament, family structure and sex ratio interact to influence network structures such as patterns of submission, reconciliation, grooming and conflict ..
- A forward genetic screen to identify determinants of malaria stage conversionMatthias Marti; Fiscal Year: 2013..e., conversion rate) and the ratio of female and male gametocytes (i.e., sex ratio) vary between strains, both in vivo and in in vitro models...
- Behavioral management of deleterious aggression in rhesus macaquesBrenda McCowan; Fiscal Year: 2013..strong evidence that individual, family and group characteristics such as temperament, family structure and sex ratio interact to influence network structures such as patterns of submission, reconciliation, grooming and conflict ..
- Kava extract, Flavokawains and Bladder Cancer PreventionXiaolin Zi; Fiscal Year: 2005..aqueous kava preparation without major side effects for centuries correlates with lower and uncustomary sex ratio (more cancer in women than men) of, cancer incidences in kava-drinking countries such as Fiji, Vatu and Western ..
- CLEFT LIP AND PALATE IN LOS ANGELES HISPANICSM Spence; Fiscal Year: 1990..The sex ratio and bilateral vs. unilateral frequencies match those predicted from observations in other populations...
- Molecular Genetics of Speciation Driven by Intragenomic ConflictsYun Tao; Fiscal Year: 2012..We propose to determine the molecular and evolutionary link between meiotic drive, a form of genetic conflicts within a genome, and speciation. ..
- Male Incarceration, the Health Care Service Environment and Sexual HealthEmily Russell; Fiscal Year: 2013..women from two Atlanta, GA census tracts, one that has a high male incarceration rate and a low male: female sex ratio, and the other that has a low male incarceration rate and a male: female sex ratio close to 1.00...
- ABNORMALITIES IN CALVES FROM EMBRYO TRANSFERGeorge Seidel; Fiscal Year: 1980..twinning, abortion, stillbirth, neonatal death, and congenital abnormalities; birth weight; length of gestation; sex ratio; and viability...
- DELINEATION OF CAUSATIVE MUTATIONS IN HEMOPHILIASteve Sommer; Fiscal Year: 1999..In the present application, the following questions will be addressed: (i) How does the sex ratio of recent germline mutation depend on the type of mutation and the age of the parent?; (ii) How frequent is ..
- PHEROMONES, BEHAVIOR AND THE REGULATION OF FERTILITYMartha McClintock; Fiscal Year: 2001..We will test the effects of four correlates of birth-cycle synchrony that could produce a female-biased sex ratio, potentially identifying the first known physiological mechanism for a facultative sex ratio bias in mammals...
- SEX DIFFERENCES IN SCHIZOPHRENIAGretchen Haas; Fiscal Year: 1991..criteria for schizophrenia will be cross-classified on more narrow-band (RDC and DSM-III) criteria and the sex ratio will be compared across diagnostic systems to determine the extent of differential exclusion by sex. Study 2...
- The demographic trajectory of the sex ratio in human pregnancySTEVEN ORZACK; Fiscal Year: 2009..of speculation and well over a century of focused research, an integrated description and understanding of the sex ratio in humans remains elusive...
- Molecular Evolution of X-Y Meiotic Drive in DrosophilaAndrew Clark; Fiscal Year: 2004..The resulting female-biased sex ratio can be driven to the point of population extinction...
- GENETICS OF THE PATERNAL SEX RATIO CHROMOSOMEJohn Werren; Fiscal Year: 1992Psr (paternal sex ratio) is a supernumerary (of B) chromosome in the parasitic wasp...
- Reproductive Outcomes due to Past Exposure to DioxinsIrina Dardynskaia; Fiscal Year: 2005..While lowered sex ratio appears to be a reproductive outcome among groups with heavy occupational or environmental exposure to these ..
- Sex Ratios and Family Life in ChinaSCOTT SOUTH; Fiscal Year: 2009..PUBLIC HEALTH RELEVANCE: Growing imbalances in China's sex ratio have the potential to alter substantially multiple dimensions of family life and, through this, the physical and ..
- Exposure to Bisphenol A & Reproductive Effect in HumansDe Kun Li; Fiscal Year: 2007..sexual intercourse? (3) Among the children of exposed workers, is there a relationship of parental exposure with sex ratio, birth weight, age at development of secondary sex features, menstrual characteristics, and sex hormone profile? ..
- PESTICIDES--HEALTH FERTILITY AND REPRODUCTIVE RISKVINCENT GARRY; Fiscal Year: 2002..The region is a well defined area of the Red River Valley. The male/female sex ratio of anomalies was significantly increased in appliers residing in the region...
- BIOLOGICAL CAUSES OF MORTALITY PLATEAUS IN DROSOPHILAKimberly Hughes; Fiscal Year: 2000..heterogeneity within populations ('demographic selection') b) changes in reproductive status and population sex ratio. c) changes in population density and environmental quality...
- Environmental Gender Balance and HIV Risk for African-American WomenEnrique Pouget; Fiscal Year: 2007..S. The relative availability of heterosexual partners is reflected in the male-female sex ratio among nonincarcerated adults...
- Cognitive dysfunction in neuropsychiatric-SLEMichael Lockshin; Fiscal Year: 2002..Successful completion of this research will redefine the pathogenesis of cognitive dysfunction and suggest therapeutic targets for intervention...
- Genetics of Wing and Cell-Size Evolution in NasoniaJohn Werren; Fiscal Year: 2008....
- TRAINING PROGRAM IN NEUROBIOLOGY AND BEHAVIORDavid Crews; Fiscal Year: 2003..All of the laboratories comply with NIH requirements. ..
- Epigenetic Influences on Brain and BehaviorDavid Crews; Fiscal Year: 2004..Specific Aim III. To establish if the different behavioral profiles exhibited in such animals in adulthood are reflected in different patterns of activity in a network of interconnected limbic nuclei. ..
- EVOLUTION OF BRAIN-BEHAVIOR CONTROLLING MECHANISMSDavid Crews; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- ENVIRONMENTAL INFLUENCES ON BRAIN PLASTICITYDavid Crews; Fiscal Year: 2002..The final category of experiments is particularly important as it will discern whether the incubation temperature effects are direct or indirect. ..
- ESTROGEN INDUCED RESPONSES VIA ER/SPL COMPLEXESStephen Safe; Fiscal Year: 2002..These results will ultimately facilitate design of chemotherapeutic approaches which target specific genes. ..
- Spatial Dynamics of Neighborhood EffectsSCOTT SOUTH; Fiscal Year: 2008..Consequently, understanding more about the nature and operation of these effects is an important scientific and public health objective. ..
- ALKYL PCDFS--INHIBITION OF MAMMARY CANCERStephen Safe; Fiscal Year: 2001..Thus the proposed studies will define a new mechanism-based class of antiestrogens that can be used alone or in combination with tamoxifen for treatment of breast and endometrial cancer. ..
- Interferon and Raloxifene Effects on Cancer CellsCHERYL ROSENFELD; Fiscal Year: 2007..The University is in the process of developing a Comparative Oncology Program. The campus provides a rich mix of disciplines and a collaborative environment, in which Dr. Rosenfeld is expected to continue to thrive. ..
- Racial and Ethnic Patterns of Residential MobilitySCOTT SOUTH; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- Colon Cancer Inhibition by a Class of PPARgamma AgonistsStephen Safe; Fiscal Year: 2009..The proposed studies will provide mechanistic insights on PPARy-dependent inhibition of colon cancer and identify compounds for future clinical studies. ..
- Resources and Opportunities for Neighborhood AttainmentScott J South; Fiscal Year: 2010..Therefore, learning more about the migration behaviors that lead to residence in different types of neighborhoods is an important scientific objective. ..
- Mechanisms of Growth Factor-Estrogen Receptor CrosstalkStephen Safe; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Comparative Genomics of Sex Determination in AmniotesTurk Rhen; Fiscal Year: 2006..This approach promises to speed the rate of discovery of sex-determining genes in humans, which to date has been slow and haphazard. ..
- Coactivation of Estrogen Receptor alpha/Sp1Stephen Safe; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- 2,3,7,8,--TCDD Effects on the Estrogenic ResponsesStephen Safe; Fiscal Year: 2006..The proposed Aims will address important mechanistic considerations on IDRE-independent inhibitory AhR-ERa crosstalk and pathways critical for inhibition of mammary tumor growth by SAhRMs. ..
- Inhibition of Pancreatic Cancer by New PPARgamma Agonis*Stephen Safe; Fiscal Year: 2008..PPAR? -active C-substituted DIMs that inhibit pancreatic cancer cell growth in vitro and in vivo, and these will serve as lead compounds for development of new drugs for clinical treatment of this devastating disease ..
- TOXICOLOGY OF ENVIRONMENT CONTAMINANTSStephen Safe; Fiscal Year: 2007..The proposed training program will continue to provide trainees with a challenging academic and research environment that will prepare them for future careers in academic, industry and government. ..
- PHI-443: Novel Non-Spermicidal Anti-HIV MicrobicideOSMOND D CRUZ; Fiscal Year: 2003..Specific Aims 1 and 2 may provide the foundation for the clinical development of PHI-443 in Phase II studies as a safe, effective broad-spectrum anti-HIV microbicide without conception-inhibiting functions. ..
- NOVEL CONTRACEPTIVES WITH ANTI-HIV ACTIVITYOSMOND D CRUZ; Fiscal Year: 2001..The preclinical data on in vivo efficacies of WHI-05 and WHI-07 will be essential to further explore the utility of these novel drugs for clinical studies in human patients. ..
- GENE EXPRESSION BASED CLASSIFICATION OF GLIAL TUMORSStanley Nelson; Fiscal Year: 2004..3)To develop a set of genes with prognostic importance in low grade astrocytomas. 4)To validate the importance of the genes from specific aims 2 and 3 in the prognosis of low grade astrocytomas. ..
- MECHANISMS OF REPRODUCTIVE NEUROENDOCRINE TOXICITYPeter Thomas; Fiscal Year: 2005..The proposed study will investigate a novel mechanism of PCB neurotoxicity and neuroendocrine toxicity which may also have significance for other neural functions such as those associated with mental health. ..
- PHI 346: A Novel Dual-Function MicrobicideOSMOND D CRUZ; Fiscal Year: 2003..Following successful completion of the Phase I in vivo efficacy studies, gel formulation of PHI-346 will be further explored as a vaginal dual-function microbicide in Phase II. ..
- AUTOIMMUNE DISEASE AND NEONATAL TOLERANCECory Teuscher; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- Sperm DNA damage in fertilizationMONIKA WARD; Fiscal Year: 2006....
- Gender,Migration,and HIV Risk among Hispanics:A Tri-National StudyEMILIO PARRADO; Fiscal Year: 2008..Findings from the study will provide culturally grounded and reliable information on gender, migration, and sexual behavior vital for the development of successful HIV interventions targeting Hispanic groups. ..
- HIV/STI Prevention for Drug-Involved CouplesLouisa Gilbert; Fiscal Year: 2008..Sharp from St. Luke's Hospital in New York City, and Dr. Fals-Stewart from the Research Institute on Addictions at the University of Buffalo. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- SNP studies in ADHD linked regionsStanley F Nelson; Fiscal Year: 2010..Additionally, identification of genes with clear relationships to behavior will provide an improved understanding of basic processes of learning. ..
- Identifying Mechanisms for Chromosome 21 NondisjunctionTiffany Oliver; Fiscal Year: 2007..We will use a modified tetrad analysis to infer the exchange pattern from the observed recombination data. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Characterizing a genetic history of African populationsFLOYD REED; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Sex Chromosomes in Fetal Programming and Susceptibility to EAECory Teuscher; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- GENETIC BASIS OF SPECIES DIFFERENCES IN DROSOPHILAJerry Coyne; Fiscal Year: 2009..We will perform laboratory studies of tolerance and preference to understand these anomalies. Our results may be relevant to understanding the origin of species in other animal groups, including humans. ..
- Sexual Behavior, Sexual Networks and STDs in ChinaGIOVANNA MERLI; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- GPing: Informatics for Personal Control of Genomic DataIsaac S Kohane; Fiscal Year: 2010..3: Design and evaluate a user interface to communicate disclosure. In concert with appropriate non-discrimination legislation, G-PING lays the groundwork for large-scale genomic cohort studies. ..