Genomes and Genes
Summary: A demographic parameter indicating a person's status with respect to marriage, divorce, widowhood, singleness, etc.
Publications363 found, 100 shown here
- Linked versus unlinked estimates of mortality and length of life by education and marital status: evidence from the first record linkage study in LithuaniaVladimir M Shkolnikov
Max Planck Institute for Demographic Research Rostock, Germany
Soc Sci Med 64:1392-406. 2007Earlier studies have found large and increasing with time differences in mortality by education and marital status in post-Soviet countries...
- Suicide and marital status in Northern IrelandPaul Corcoran
National Suicide Research Foundation, College Road, Cork, Ireland
Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol 45:795-800. 2010..We examined suicide in Northern Ireland by marital status and examined whether the observed variation differed by sex and age.
- Sexual behaviour in Britain: partnerships, practices, and HIV risk behavioursA M Johnson
Centre for Infectious Disease Epidemiology, Department of Primary Care and Population Sciences, Royal Free and University College Medical School, Mortimer Market Centre, WC1E 6AU, London, UK
Lancet 358:1835-42. 2001..of heterosexual and homosexual partnership varied substantially by age, residence in Greater London, and marital status. In the past 5 years, mean numbers of heterosexual partners were 3.8 (SD 8.2) for men, and 2.4 (SD 4...
- Marital status, health and mortalityJames Robards
EPSRC Care Life Cycle, Social Sciences, University of Southampton, Southampton, UK
Maturitas 73:295-9. 2012b>Marital status and living arrangements, along with changes in these in mid-life and older ages, have implications for an individual's health and mortality...
- Under-attending free antenatal care is associated with adverse pregnancy outcomesKaisa Raatikainen
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, PO Box 1777, Kuopio University Hospital, 70211 Kuopio, Finland
BMC Public Health 7:268. 2007..The objective of this study was to assess the outcome of pregnancies when free and easily accessible antenatal care has been either totally lacking or low in number of visits...
- Associations of social networks with cancer mortality: a meta-analysisMartin Pinquart
Department of Psychology, Philipps University, Gutenbergstrasse 18, 35032 Marburg, Germany
Crit Rev Oncol Hematol 75:122-37. 2010..integrates results of 87 studies on the associations of perceived social support, network size, and marital status with cancer survival...
- Neighborhood support and the birth weight of urban infantsStephen L Buka
Project on Human Development in Chicago Neighborhoods, Chicago, IL, USA
Am J Epidemiol 157:1-8. 2003..Results support the hypothesis that neighborhood-level factors are significantly associated with infant birth weight...
- Marital loss, mental health and the role of perceived social support: findings from six waves of an Australian population based panel studyBelinda Hewitt
University of Queensland Research Fellow, Institute for Social Science Research, GPN3, Building 39a, Room 401, University of Queensland, Brisbane 4072, Australia
J Epidemiol Community Health 66:308-14. 2012..To investigate the impact of transitions out of marriage (separation, widowhood) on the self reported mental health of men and women, and examine whether perceptions of social support play an intervening role...
- Prevalence of smoking during pregnancy and associated risk factors among Canadian women: a national surveyBan Al-Sahab
School of Kinesiology and Health Science, York University, Toronto, ON Canada M3J 1P3
BMC Pregnancy Childbirth 10:24. 2010..Therefore, the study aims to assess the prevalence of smoking during pregnancy and its associated risk factors throughout the Canadian provinces and territories...
- Marital status integration, suicide disapproval, and societal integration as explanations of marital status differences in female age-specific suicide ratesPhillips Cutright
Indiana University, Bloomington, IN, USA
Suicide Life Threat Behav 37:715-24. 2007..suicide rates of married women are, typically, lower than the suicide rates of women who are not married: (1) marital status integration, (2) societal integration, and (3) a nation's normative order about disapproval of suicide...
- Health in household context: living arrangements and health in late middle ageMary Elizabeth Hughes
Department of Sociology, Duke University, Box 90088, Durham, NC 27708, USA
J Health Soc Behav 43:1-21. 2002..In addition, they qualify the well-known link between marital status and health: The effect of marital status on health depends on household context.
- Mortality differences according to living arrangementsSeppo Koskinen
National Public Health Institute, Department of Health and Functional Capacity, Helsinki, Finland
Int J Epidemiol 36:1255-64. 2007Research has revealed mortality differences between marital status groups in different societies and different periods of time...
- Marital status, gender and cardiovascular mortality: behavioural, psychological distress and metabolic explanationsGerard John Molloy
Department of Psychology, Cottrell Building, University of Stirling, Stirling FK9 4LA, UK
Soc Sci Med 69:223-8. 2009..An understanding of these processes and how they may vary by gender is important for understanding why marital status is strongly and robustly associated with subsequent cardiovascular disease...
- Effects of marital transitions on changes in dietary and other health behaviours in US male health professionalsPatricia Mona Eng
Department of Epidemiology, Harvard School of Public Health, MA, USA
J Epidemiol Community Health 59:56-62. 2005To examine the effect of change in marital status on health behaviours among men.
- Marital status, social capital, material conditions and self-rated health: a population-based studyMartin Lindstrom
Department of Clinical Sciences, Malmo University Hospital, Lund University, 205 02 Malmo, Sweden
Health Policy 93:172-9. 2009Associations between marital status and self-rated health were investigated, adjusting for material conditions and trust (social capital).
- Marital status, marital transitions, and health: a gendered life course perspectiveKristi Williams
Department of Sociology, 342 Bricker Hall, 190 N Oval Mall, Ohio State University, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
J Health Soc Behav 45:81-98. 2004We work from a life course perspective to assess the impact of marital status and marital transitions on subsequent changes in the self-assessed physical health of men and women...
- A randomised controlled trial of empowerment training for Chinese abused pregnant women in Hong KongA Tiwari
Department of Nursing Studies, The University of Hong Kong, China
BJOG 112:1249-56. 2005..To evaluate the effectiveness of an empowerment intervention in reducing intimate partner violence (IPV) and improving health status...
- Education, marital status, and total and cardiovascular mortality in Novosibirsk, Russia: a prospective cohort studySofia Malyutina
Institute of Internal Medicine, Siberian Branch of the Russian Academy of Medical Sciences, Novosibirsk, Russia
Ann Epidemiol 14:244-9. 2004..We investigated this question in a prospective cohort study based on the Novosibirsk MONICA Project...
- Trends in protective behaviour among single vs. married young women in sub-Saharan Africa: the big pictureJohn Cleland
London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, University of London, London, UK
Reprod Health Matters 14:17-22. 2006..The barriers to condom adoption by married couples may not be as severe as is often assumed...
- The impact of marital status on cancer survivalO Kravdal
Department of Economics and Norwegian Cancer Registry, University of Oslo
Soc Sci Med 52:357-68. 2001..Other previously married have an excess mortality elevated by about 7%. This protective effect of marriage is not due to stage, which is controlled for. The possible importance of treatment and host factors is discussed...
- A European comparative study of marital status and socio-economic inequalities in suicideV Lorant
Health Sociology and Economics, Faculty of Medicine, Public Health School, Catholic University of Louvain, Clos Chapelle aux champs 30 41, 1200 Brussels, Belgium
Soc Sci Med 60:2431-41. 2005..We conclude that being married protects against inequalities in suicide and that this protective effect is not affected by the level of social capital at the country level...
- Marital status and HIV/AIDS mortality: evidence from the US National Longitudinal Mortality StudyAugustine J Kposowa
Department of Sociology, 1150 Watkins Hall, University of California, Riverside, CA 92521, USA Electronic address
Int J Infect Dis 17:e868-74. 2013The purpose of the study was to examine associations between marital status groups and death from HIV/AIDS. The primary hypothesis was that divorced and single/never married individuals have a much higher risk of death than married persons...
- Sex position, marital status, and HIV risk among Indian men who have sex with men: clues to optimizing prevention approachesVagish Hemmige
Section of Infectious Diseases and Global Health, University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois 60637, USA
AIDS Patient Care STDS 25:725-34. 2011..Further implementation research is warranted in order to best direct novel biologic and behavioral prevention interventions towards specific risk behaviors in this and other similar contexts...
- The association of emotional well-being and marital status with treatment adherence among patients with hypertensionRanak B Trivedi
Department of Medicine, Duke University Medical Center, 2424 Erwin Rd, Hock Plaza Ste 1105, P O Box 2720, Durham, NC 27705, USA
J Behav Med 31:489-97. 2008..34, p < .0001). Neither MCS scores nor being married were related to BP levels in adjusted analyses. Results emphasize the importance of assessing psychosocial factors to optimize hypertension treatment...
- Factors associated with non-use of maternal health services in BotswanaGobopamang Letamo
Department of Population Studies, University of Botswana, Private Bag 0022, Gaborone, Botswana
J Health Popul Nutr 21:40-7. 2003..More focussed investigation is needed, but understanding the differentials of the use of maternal services allows policy-makers to identify problem areas that need attention...
- Breast cancer, sickness absence, income and marital status. A study on life situation 1 year prior diagnosis compared to 3 and 5 years after diagnosisSonja Eaker
Department of Surgical Sciences, Uppsala University, Uppsala, Sweden
PLoS ONE 6:e18040. 2011Improved cancer survival poses important questions about future life conditions of the survivor. We examined the possible influence of a breast cancer diagnosis on subsequent working and marital status, sickness absence and income.
- Socioeconomic status as a risk factor for HIV infection in women in East, Central and Southern Africa: a systematic reviewJanet Maia Wojcicki
University of California, San Francisco, USA
J Biosoc Sci 37:1-36. 2005..Lastly, it is suggested that the partner's SES (measured by education or income/employment) may be a stronger predictor of female HIV serostatus than measures of female SES...
- Gender, ethnicity, marital status, and body weight in the United StatesJeffery Sobal
Division of Nutritional Sciences, Cornell University, Ithaca, New York, USA
Obesity (Silver Spring) 17:2223-31. 2009..We examined gender and ethnic differences in relationships between marital status and body weight using cross-sectional data from the 1999-2002 National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey ..
- In fitness and health? A prospective study of changes in marital status and fitness in men and womenFrancisco B Ortega
Department of Biosciences and Nutrition, Novum, Karolinska Institutet, Huddinge, Sweden
Am J Epidemiol 173:337-44. 2011The authors examined the prospective associations between marital status transitions and changes in fitness in men and women. Between 1987 and 2005, a total of 8,871 adults (6,900 men) aged 45.6 (standard deviation, 9...
- Revisiting the relationships among gender, marital status, and mental healthRobin W Simon
AJS 107:1065-96. 2002..The implications of these findings for future research on gender and mental health are discussed...
- Changes over time in the effect of marital status on cancer survivalHåkon Kravdal
Faculty of Medicine, University of Oslo, P, O, Box 1078 Blindern, 0316 Oslo, Norway
BMC Public Health 11:804. 2011..The objective of this study was to investigate whether there has been a similar change over time in marital status differences in cancer survival.
- Medication adherence mediates the relationship between marital status and cardiac event-free survival in patients with heart failureJia Rong Wu
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, School of Nursing, Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599 7460, USA
Heart Lung 41:107-14. 2012..The study objective was to determine whether medication adherence mediated the relationship between marital status and cardiac event-free survival in patients with HF.
- Marital status and survival in patients with cancerAyal A Aizer
Ayal A Aizer, Harvard Radiation Oncology Program Ellen P McCarthy, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center Mallika L Mendu, Sophia Koo, Powell L Graham, Neil E Martin, and Paul L Nguyen, Dana Farber Brigham and Women s Cancer Center Tyler J Wilhite, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA Ming Hui Chen, University of Connecticut, Storrs, CT Karen E Hoffman, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX and Jim C Hu, University of California at Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA
J Clin Oncol 31:3869-76. 2013To examine the impact of marital status on stage at diagnosis, use of definitive therapy, and cancer-specific mortality among each of the 10 leading causes of cancer-related death in the United States.
- Marital status, living arrangement and mortality: does the association vary by gender?Katharina Staehelin
Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, Swiss Tropical and Public Health Institute, associated Institute of University of Basel, Switzerland, Socinstrasse 57, 4051 Basel, Switzerland
J Epidemiol Community Health 66:e22. 2012..However, there is some uncertainty about gender differences in mortality risks in older individuals, widowed, divorced and single individuals and about the impact of living arrangements...
- Low socioeconomic status is a poor prognostic factor for survival in stage I nonsmall cell lung cancer and is independent of surgical treatment, race, and marital statusS H Ignatius Ou
Chao Family Comprehensive Cancer Center, Division of Hematology Oncology, Department of Medicine, University of California Irvine Medical Center, Orange, CA 92868 3298, USA
Cancer 112:2011-20. 2008..In this study, the authors investigated the role of SES in this survival disparity among patients with stage I NSCLC...
- The relationship of marital status and clinical characteristics in middle-aged and older patients with schizophrenia and depressive symptomsMaren Nyer
University of Virginia, Department of Human Services, The Curry School of Education, Charlottesville, VA, USA E mail
Ann Clin Psychiatry 22:172-9. 2010This study examines the relationship of marital status to depression, positive and negative symptoms, quality of life, and suicidal ideation among 211 patients with schizophrenia-spectrum disorders and subsyndromal depressive symptoms...
- Inequalities in mortality by marital status during socio-economic transition in LithuaniaR Kalediene
Department of Social Medicine, Faculty of Public Health, Kaunas University of Medicine, A Mickevicius St 9, LT 44307 Kaunas, Lithuania
Public Health 121:385-92. 2007To analyse the changes in mortality inequalities by marital status over the period of socio-economic transition in Lithuania and to estimate the contribution of major causes of death to marital-status differences in overall mortality.
- How successful are oncologists in identifying patient distress, perceived social support, and need for psychosocial counselling?W Söllner
Department of Medical Psychology and Psychotherapy, University Hospital, Sonnenburgstr 9, Innsbruck, A 6020, Austria
Br J Cancer 84:179-85. 2001..Our results underline the need for educating oncologists in order to improve their ability to identify patient distress...
- The influence of housing tenure and marital status on smoking in South KoreaSeungji Lim
Department of Public Health, Yonsei University Graduate School, Republic of Korea
Health Policy 94:101-10. 2010..This study aimed to identify the most influential socioeconomic indicator of smoking in South Korea...
- Gender and marital status differences in depressive symptoms among elderly adults: the roles of family support and friend supportBaoshan Zhang
Center on Aging Psychology, Key Laboratory of Mental Health, Institute of Psychology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing, China
Aging Ment Health 15:844-54. 2011..of this study is to examine the relationship between gender and depressive symptoms as well as between marital status and depressive symptoms in elderly populations, and to examine the roles of friend support and family support ..
- Microcredit, family planning programs, and contraceptive behavior: evidence from a field experiment in EthiopiaJaikishan Desai
Health Services Research Centre, Victoria University of Wellington, Wellington, New Zealand
Demography 48:749-82. 2011..We conjecture that the lack of impact has much to do with the mismatch between women's preferred contraceptive method (injectibles) and the contraceptives provided by community-based agents (pills and condoms)...
- A radiographic study of dental health in adult patients with dental anxietyM Hakeberg
Department of Endodontology, Faculty of Odontology, , Gothenburg, Sweden
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 21:27-30. 1993..Moreover, different dental care habits were evident between FP and OP patients. A progressive severity in dental disease pattern was found among FP patients...
- Men in committed, romantic relationships have lower testosteroneT C Burnham
Harvard Business School, Boston, MA, USA
Horm Behav 44:119-22. 2003..and unmarried men who were involved in committed, romantic relationships did not differ, suggesting that, at least for this sample, male pair bonding status is the more significant predictor of testosterone levels than is marital status.
- Explaining educational differences in leisure-time physical activity in Europe: the contribution of work-related factorsT E Mäkinen
Department of Health, Functional Capacity and Welfare, National Institute for Health and Welfare, Helsinki, Finland
Scand J Med Sci Sports 22:439-47. 2012..The association between education and LTPA remained mostly unchanged after adjusting for marital status, urbanization, and self-rated health...
- Predictors of referral for specialized psychosocial oncology care in patients with metastatic cancer: the contributions of age, distress, and marital statusJanet Ellis
Department of Psychosocial Oncology and Palliative Care, Princess Margaret Hospital, University Health Network, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Clin Oncol 27:699-705. 2009..This study examines the rate and prediction of referral for specialized psychosocial oncology care in 326 patients with metastatic GI or lung cancer...
- Screening for distress, the 6th vital sign: common problems in cancer outpatients over one year in usual care: associations with marital status, sex, and ageJanine Giese-Davis
Department of Psychosocial Resources, Tom Baker Cancer Centre, Calgary, Canada
BMC Cancer 12:441. 2012..Of the studies that examine age, gender and marital status as predictors of a range of patient outcomes, none examines the interactions between these demographic ..
- Effects of marital transitions on changes in dietary and other health behaviours in US womenSunmin Lee
Channing Laboratory, Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
Int J Epidemiol 34:69-78. 2005..With a prospective design and repeated measures of variables, we sought to analyse the temporal relation between marital transition and change in health behaviours...
- Prenatal smoking prevalence ascertained from two population-based data sources: birth certificates and PRAMS questionnaires, 2004Alicia M Allen
Division of Reproductive Health, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA, USA
Public Health Rep 123:586-92. 2008..This study provided a population-based estimate of the prevalence of smoking during pregnancy by combining information from two data sources: birth certificates (BCs) and a self-administered questionnaire...
- Social status and cardiovascular disease: a Mediterranean case. Results from the Italian Progetto CUORE cohort studyCarla Fornari
Research Centre on Public Health, Department of Clinical and Preventive Medicine, University of Milano Bicocca, Monza, Italy
BMC Public Health 10:574. 2010..This analysis aims to explore the relationship between education, marital status and major cardiovascular risk factors and to evaluate the role of social status indicators in predicting ..
- Factors associated with return to work after breast cancer treatmentAina Johnsson
Department of Oncology, Karolinska University Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden
Acta Oncol 46:90-6. 2007..Determining the significance of other social factors such as vocational motivation, level of income and vocational rehabilitation merits further research...
- Marital status and mortality: the role of healthL A Lillard
Center for the Study of Aging, RAND, Santa Monica, CA 90407 2138, USA
Demography 33:313-27. 1996..We find adverse selection on the basis of health (unhealthy men tend to (re)marry sooner) and positive selection on the basis of unmeasured factors that both promote good health and encourage marriage...
- Marital status and the epidemiology and outcomes of sepsisChristopher W Seymour
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Box 359762, Harborview Medical Center, Seattle, WA 98104, USA
Chest 137:1289-96. 2010..This study examines the association between marital status and sepsis incidence and outcomes in a population-based cohort.
- Internet use and self-rated health among older people: a national surveyEnrique Gracia
University of Valencia, Valencia, Spain
J Med Internet Res 11:e49. 2009..Little attention has been paid, however, to relationships between Internet use and actual indicators of health among older people...
- Impact of marital status on survival among women with invasive cervical cancer: analysis of population-based surveillance, epidemiology, and end results dataMehul K Patel
Department of Radiation Oncology, Henry Ford Health System, Detroit, MI 48202, USA
J Low Genit Tract Dis 14:329-38. 2010..We examined survival differences by marital status among women with cervical cancer using a population-based sample of patients in the United States while ..
- Marital status and the risk of suicide: experience from England and Wales, 1982-1996Paul S Yip
Hong Kong Jockey Club, Centre for Suicide Research and Prevention, University of Hong Kong, Pokfulam Road, Hong Kong, SAR
Psychol Rep 94:401-7. 2004This analysis examined suicide rates by age, sex, and marital status in England and Wales for the period 1982-1996. Never married, widowed, and divorced people had higher rates of suicide than those who were married, for both sexes...
- Marital status, gender, and depression: analysis of the baseline survey of the Korean Longitudinal Study of Ageing (KLoSA)Soong Nang Jang
Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, MA 02115, United States
Soc Sci Med 69:1608-15. 2009b>Marital status is a robust predictor of health outcomes in Western populations. However, data from Asian cultures remain sparse, and some studies suggest marked gender differences in the health benefits of marriage among Asian populations...
- The times they are a changin': marital status and health differentials from 1972 to 2003Hui Liu
Department of Sociology, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI 48824 1111, USA
J Health Soc Behav 49:239-53. 2008..over the past several decades, we know very little about historical trends in the relationship between marital status and health...
- Is there something unique about marriage? The relative impact of marital status, relationship quality, and network social support on ambulatory blood pressure and mental healthJulianne Holt-Lunstad
Department of Psychology, Brigham Young University, 1024 Spencer W Kimball Tower, Provo, UT 84602 5543, USA
Ann Behav Med 35:239-44. 2008..Having close social relationships and being married specifically have been reliably associated with health benefits including lower morbidity and mortality...
- Early childbearing, marital status, and women's health and mortality after age 50JOHN C HENRETTA
University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32611 7330, USA
J Health Soc Behav 48:254-66. 2007..The number of children ever born does not significantly affect mortality but is associated with prevalence of diabetes...
- Gender, social relations and mental health: prospective findings from an occupational cohort (Whitehall II study)R Fuhrer
Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, University College London, UK
Soc Sci Med 48:77-87. 1999..We also found that the effects of marital status, social support within and outside the workplace and social networks on subsequent occurrence of psychological ..
- Does growing old increase the risk for depression?R E Roberts
University of Texas, Houston Health Science Center School of Public Health, USA
Am J Psychiatry 154:1384-90. 1997..To investigate the effect of aging on rates of depression prospectively, the authors used two waves of data from a panel study of community residents 50 years old and older...
- Prevalence and correlates of smoking during pregnancy: a comparison of aboriginal and non-aboriginal women in manitobaMaureen I Heaman
Faculty of Nursing and Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology, and Reproductive Sciences, Faculty of Medicine, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Birth 32:299-305. 2005..The study purpose was to describe and compare the prevalence and correlates of smoking during pregnancy among Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal women giving birth in the Canadian province of Manitoba...
- Marital status and smoking in Korea: the influence of gender and ageHong Jun Cho
Department of Family Medicine, University of Ulsan, College of Medicine, 388 1 Poongnap dong, Songpa Gu, Seoul 138 736, Republic of Korea
Soc Sci Med 66:609-19. 2008..The present study examined the effect of marital status on smoking in Korea...
- Social capital, economic conditions, marital status and daily smoking: a population-based studyMartin Lindstrom
Department of Clinical Sciences, Malmo University Hospital, Lund University, 205 02 Malmo, Sweden
Public Health 124:71-7. 2010To investigate the association between marital status and daily smoking, adjusting for economic conditions and trust.
- Gender and marital status clarify associations between food insecurity and body weightKarla L Hanson
Division of Nutritional Sciences, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853, USA
J Nutr 137:1460-5. 2007..This study analyzed associations between food insecurity and body weight, and whether gender and marital status are involved in that relationship...
- For better or worse: relationship status and body mass indexSusan L Averett
Department of Economics and Business, Lafayette College, Easton, PA 18042, USA
Econ Hum Biol 6:330-49. 2008..selection, protection, social obligation and marriage market) that might explain the relationship between marital status transitions and changes in Body Mass Index (BMI)...
- Trends in alcohol intake by education and marital status in urban population in Russia between the mid 1980s and the mid 1990sSofia Malyutina
Institute of Internal Medicine, Siberian Branch of the Russian Academy of Medical Sciences, Novosibirsk, Russia
Alcohol Alcohol 39:64-9. 2004We investigated changes in the distribution of alcohol consumption by education and marital status in Russia during the period of societal transformation after 1990...
- Marital status changes and body weight changes: a US longitudinal analysisJeffery Sobal
Division of Nutritional Sciences, Cornell University, MVR Hall, 14853, Ithaca, NY, USA
Soc Sci Med 56:1543-55. 2003..Body weight is an important health-related characteristic that has been found to have mixed relationships with marital status. This analysis examined changes in marital status and body weight in 9043 adults in the US National Health and ..
- Socioeconomic factors, material inequalities, and perceived control in self-rated health: cross-sectional data from seven post-communist countriesM Bobak
International Centre for Health and Society, Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, University College London, UK
Soc Sci Med 51:1343-50. 2000..Questionnaire interviews were used to collect data on self-rated health in the last 12 months, education, marital status, perceived control based on nine questions, and material deprivation based on availability of food, clothing ..
- Cohabitation and marital status as predictors of mortality--an eight year follow-up studyRikke Lund
Department of Social Medicine, Institute of Public Health, University of Copenhagen, Denmark
Soc Sci Med 55:673-9. 2002..was associated with cohabitation status (living alone/not living alone), living with/without a partner, and marital status respectively...
- Maternal marital status and birth outcomes: a systematic review and meta-analysesPrakesh S Shah
Department of Paediatrics, Mount Sinai Hospital, 775A 600 University Avenue, Toronto, Ontario, M5G 1X5, Canada
Matern Child Health J 15:1097-109. 2011..36, 95%CI 1.30-1.42) mothers. Meta-analyses of adjusted odds estimates confirmed these findings at marginally lower odds. Maternal unmarried status is associated with an increased risk of LBW, PTB and SGA births...
- Marital status and mortality in the elderly: a systematic review and meta-analysisLamberto Manzoli
Section of Epidemiology and Public Health, University G d Annunzio of Chieti, Italy
Soc Sci Med 64:77-94. 2007Although a relationship between marital status and mortality has long been recognized, no summary estimates of the strength of the association are available...
- Social networks and mortality based on the Komo-Ise cohort study in JapanMotoki Iwasaki
Department of Public Health, Gunma University School of Medicine, Japan Present address Epidemiology and Biostatistics Division, National Cancer Center Research Institute East, Chiba, Japan
Int J Epidemiol 31:1208-18. 2002..The study of varied populations may contribute to clarifying the robustness of the observed effects of social networks and extend their generalizability...
- Influence of marital status on physical activity levels among older adultsKelley K Pettee
University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Med Sci Sports Exerc 38:541-6. 2006The purpose of these analyses was to describe the levels and types of activity in relationship to current marital status among older adults and determine if the physical activity level of the husband was related to the physical activity ..
- Disparities in pregnancy outcomes according to marital and cohabitation statusZhong Cheng Luo
Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Obstet Gynecol 103:1300-7. 2004..To assess the risks and trends of adverse pregnancy outcomes among mothers in common-law unions versus traditional marriage relationships...
- Leukocyte telomere length and marital status among middle-aged adultsArch G Mainous
Medical University of South Carolina, Family Medicine, Charleston, SC 29425, USA
Age Ageing 40:73-8. 2011being unmarried is associated with worse health and increased mortality risk. Telomere length has emerged as a marker for biological ageing but it is unclear how telomere length relates to marital status.
- Association of body mass index and abdominal obesity with marital status in adultsMohsen Janghorbani
Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, School of Public Health, Isfahan University of Medical Sciences, Isfahan, Iran
Arch Iran Med 11:274-81. 2008Obesity continues to be an important public health problem worldwide. The objective of this study was to determine the association of body mass index and abdominal obesity with current marital status among the adult population of Iran.
- Association between mid-life marital status and cognitive function in later life: population based cohort studyKrister Håkansson
School of Social Sciences, Department of Psychology, Vaxjo University, Sweden
BMJ 339:b2462. 2009To evaluate whether mid-life marital status is related to cognitive function in later life.
- Official marital status, cohabiting, and self-rated health-time trends in Finland, 1978-2001Kaisla E Joutsenniemi
National Public Health Institute KTL, Department of Health and Functional Capacity, Finland
Eur J Public Health 16:476-83. 2006..Time trends in self-rated health (SRH) by marital status and cohabitation have remained largely unstudied...
- Marriage and cancer prevention: does marital status and inviting both spouses together influence colorectal cancer screening participation?Cornelia H M van Jaarsveld
Cancer Research UK Health Behaviour Unit, Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, University College London, Gower Street, London WC1E 6BT, UK
J Med Screen 13:172-6. 2006This study examined the influence of marital status and inviting both partners together on participation in colorectal cancer screening.
- Marital and cohabitation status as predictors of mortality: a 10-year follow-up of an Italian elderly cohortEmanuele Scafato
Population Health and Health Determinants Unit, National Centre for Epidemiology, Surveillance and Health Promotion CNESPS, Istituto Superiore di Sanità ISS, Via Giano della Bella 34, 00161 Roma, Italy
Soc Sci Med 67:1456-64. 2008The relationship between mortality and marital status has long been recognized, but only a small number of investigations consider also the association with cohabitation status...
- Marital status and cardiac rehabilitation attendance: a meta-analysisGerard J Molloy
Psychobiology Group, Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, University College London, London, UK
Eur J Cardiovasc Prev Rehabil 15:557-61. 2008b>Marital status has been clearly linked to subsequent health outcomes in those with established coronary heart disease (CHD). This robust association may be because of both pathophysiological and behavioural mechanisms.
- The intersection of sex, marital status, and cardiovascular risk factors in shaping stroke incidence: results from the health and retirement studyJoanna Maselko
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Duke University, Durham, NC 27708, USA
J Am Geriatr Soc 57:2293-9. 2009To examine the role of sex and marital status in the distribution and consequences of cardiovascular risk factors for stroke.
- Association of marital status with the incidence of suicide: a population-based Cohort Study in Japan (Miyagi cohort study)Naru Fukuchi
Division of Epidemiology, Department of Public Health and Forensic Medicine, Tohoku University Graduate School of Medicine, 2 1 Seryo machi, Aoba ku, Sendai 980 8575, Miyagi, Japan
J Affect Disord 150:879-85. 2013b>Marital status is one of the most frequently replicated predictors of suicide. The purpose of this study was to examine the effect of marital status on the risk of suicide by gender, using a large population-based cohort in Japan.
- Marital status and colon cancer outcomes in US Surveillance, Epidemiology and End Results registries: does marriage affect cancer survival by gender and stage?Li Wang
Department of Public Health Sciences, College of Medicine, Pennsylvania State University, Hershey, PA 17033 0855, United States
Cancer Epidemiol 35:417-22. 2011b>Marital status has been associated with outcomes in several cancer sites including breast cancer in the literature, but little is known about colon cancer, the fourth most common cancer in the US.
- The joint influence of marital status, interpregnancy interval, and neighborhood on small for gestational age birth: a retrospective cohort studyNathalie Auger
Unité Etudes et Analyses de l Etat de Santé de la Population, Institut National de Sante Publique du Quebec, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
BMC Pregnancy Childbirth 8:7. 2008Interpregnancy interval (IPI), marital status, and neighborhood are independently associated with birth outcomes. The joint contribution of these exposures has not been evaluated...
- Impact of inherited epidermolysis bullosa on parental interpersonal relationships, marital status and family sizeJ D Fine
The National Epidermolysis Bullosa Registry, Nashville, TN, USA
Br J Dermatol 152:1009-14. 2005..The presence in a family of a child or children with epidermolysis bullosa (EB) may have profound psychological implications for other family members...
- Physical limitation and emotional well-being: gender and marital status variationsJennifer Caputo
Indiana University, Department of Sociology, Bloomington, IN 47405, USA
J Health Soc Behav 54:241-57. 2013..We use panel data from two national samples to examine gender and marital status variations in the impact of physical limitation on four indicators of mental health...
- Marital status disparities in maternal smoking during pregnancy, breastfeeding and maternal depressionKathleen Kiernan
Department of Social Policy and Social Work, University of York Heslington, UK
Soc Sci Med 63:335-46. 2006..There was also an increased risk of maternal depression with looser parental bonding, and among non-married groups this increased risk was most noticeable among cohabiting mothers when compared with solo mothers...
- Depression, socioeconomic status, age, and marital status in black women: a national studyIsabel C Scarinci
Center for Community Health, University of Memphis, TN 38157, USA
Ethn Dis 12:421-8. 2002..with depression; and examined whether the relationship between SES and depression was the same across age and marital status. A sample of 1,407 Black women recruited through the National Black Women's Health Project completed a survey ..
- Do risk factors for post-partum smoking relapse vary according to marital status?Stephanie L Prady
Department of Health Sciences, University of York, Seebohm Rowntree Building, Area 4, York, YO10 5DD, UK
Matern Child Health J 16:1364-73. 2012..factors readily obtainable in health care settings and post-partum smoking relapse in women of differing marital status. We analysed data on 1,829 mothers in the Millennium Cohort Study who reported quitting smoking during their ..
- Adequacy of prenatal care and neonatal mortality in infants born to mothers with and without antenatal high-risk conditionsXi Kuan Chen
OMNI Research Group, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol 47:122-7. 2007..Previous studies have found that inadequate prenatal care was associated with increased neonatal mortality in the general pregnant women...
- Marital status and cardiovascular risk factors among middle-aged Japanese male workers: the High-risk and Population Strategy for Occupational Health Promotion (HIPOP-OHP) studyYuko Kamon
Department of Health Science, Shiga University of Medical Science, Seta, Otsu City, Japan
J Occup Health 50:348-56. 2008b>Marital status is related to cardiovascular disease (CVD) risk factors in Western countries. However, few studies have addressed the relationship between marital status and CVD risk factors in other populations...
- Living arrangements and mental health in FinlandKaisla Joutsenniemi
National Public Health Institute KTL, Department of Health and Functional Capacity, Mannerheimintie 166, 00300 Helsinki, Finland
J Epidemiol Community Health 60:468-75. 2006..Health differences between marital status groups may largely arise from corresponding differences in interpersonal social bonds...
- Work environment factors, health, lifestyle and marital status as predictors of job change and early retirement in physically heavy occupationsT Lund
National Institute of Occupational Health, Department of Epidemiology and Surveillance, Copenhagen, Denmark
Am J Ind Med 40:161-9. 2001The aim was to assess the rate at which waste collectors and municipal workers leave their job, to establish the outcome and to identify associated risk factors within work environment, health, lifestyle and marital status.
- Does marital status impact survival and quality of life in patients with non-small cell lung cancer? Observations from the mayo clinic lung cancer cohortAminah Jatoi
Division of Medical Oncology, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Oncologist 12:1456-63. 2007..Previous studies have found that marriage is associated with longer survival and better quality of life among lung cancer patients. The present study used the Mayo Clinic Lung Cancer Cohort to re-examine this issue...
- Depressive symptoms among older adults: the impact of early and later life circumstances and marital statusYumiko Kamiya
The Irish Longitudinal Study on Ageing, Trinity College Dublin, Dublin, Ireland
Aging Ment Health 17:349-57. 2013..This article contributes to the literature on depression and the life course by examining the impact of both early and later life circumstances on depressive symptoms among men and women aged 65 and over in Ireland...
- Marital status, marital quality, and atherosclerotic burden in postmenopausal womenLinda C Gallo
SDSU UCSD Joint Doctoral Program in Clinical Psychology, San Diego State University, USA
Psychosom Med 65:952-62. 2003Marriage confers health benefits for men, but the evidence for women is less consistent. Inconsistent findings may be attributed, in part, to the confounding of marital status and marital quality.
- Suicide and marital status in ItalyMaria Masocco
National Centre for Epidemiology, Surveillance and Health Promotion CNESPS, Italian National Institute of Health ISS, Rome, Italy
Psychiatr Q 79:275-85. 2008Completed suicide has been reported as being linked to marital status, with being unmarried associated with a higher suicide rate as compared with being married or living with a partner.
- Marital status, partner satisfaction, and depressive symptoms in older men and womenPhilip Donald St John
Section of Geriatric Medicine, Department of Medicine, Centre on Aging, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Manitoba
Can J Psychiatry 54:487-92. 2009To determine if marital status is associated with depressive symptoms in men and women, and to determine if partner satisfaction is associated with depressive symptoms.
- Marital status, cohabitation, and risk of preterm birth in Europe: where births outside marriage are common and uncommonJennifer A Zeitlin
I N S E R M, Epidemiological Research Unit on Perinatal and Women s Health, Paris, France
Paediatr Perinat Epidemiol 16:124-30. 2002This article explores whether the impact of marital status on the risk of preterm birth varies in relation to marital practices in the population, defined by the proportion of out-of-marriage births...
- Traffic-Related Air Pollution and Ultrasound Measures of Fetal GrowthMICHELLE WILHELM TURNER; Fiscal Year: 2010..g., maternal race/ethnicity, education level and stature, marital status, parity, smoking, infections)...
- Sun protection Internet-based program for kidney transplant recipientsJune K Robinson; Fiscal Year: 2013..with the "dose" of the intervention as well as the demographic characteristics of gender, age, time since kidney transplant, marital status, ethnicity, education, employment, annual household income and color of the untanned skin.
- Ethnic Differences in Drinking and Diabetes Self Care ActivitiesPatrice A C Vaeth; Fiscal Year: 2013..for the effects of known correlates of drinking practices (age, sex, socioeconomic status, employment, and marital status)...
- fMRI in Binge Eating Disorder Participants Pre and Post Bariatric SurgeryLauren Puma; Fiscal Year: 2013..for questionnaires and weigh- in, (5) adds five covariates, including living environment, race, ethnicity, marital status, and income...
- Momba: A smartphone application to promote the mental health of new mothersMEGAN VEENEMA SMITH; Fiscal Year: 2013..Known risk factors among women include low-income, single marital status, adolescent parenting, and social isolation...
- Rakai Adolescent Project (RAP)John S Santelli; Fiscal Year: 2013..We will compare the specifics of HIV risks by marital status and age of partners, by school attendance and achievement, and on the basis of pregnancy intentions and ..
- Childhood Socioeconomic Status and Late-Life Mortality: Sex and Race DifferencesTetyana Pudrovska; Fiscal Year: 2012..Further, I propose to explore socioeconomic characteristics, marital status, and health behaviors in adulthood as mediators of the associations between early-life SES and late-life ..
- Nonmaternal Care, Role Strain, and Maternal Sensitivity in the First Three YearsKei Nomaguchi; Fiscal Year: 2012..Second, it assesses whether resources at work and home (e.g., job quality, perceived general social support, marital status, and marital quality) moderate the links between nonmaternal care and mothers'parenting...
- ANtecedents and outcomes of self-care in adults with congenital heart diseaseNancy McCabe; Fiscal Year: 2013..of this proposal are to 1) determine the individual (age, race, gender, education level, insurance status, marital status), clinical (ACHD severity, NYHA classification, number and severity of comorbidities), ACHD knowledge, and ..
- COGNITIVE ORIENTED STRATEGY AUGMENTED REHABILITATION (COSTAR) FOR STROKETimothy J Wolf; Fiscal Year: 2013..different for potentially critical variables such as the following: (1) age;(2) sex;(3) education level;(4) marital status;and (5) baseline impairment...
- The Value of Long-Term Care Insurance to Married and Single PersonsMichael D Hurd; Fiscal Year: 2013..the household and relevant transition rates (spending, health, mortality, long-term care status) stratified by marital status, sex and education...
- Marital Trajectories and Cardiovascular Disease in the United StatesMATTHEW DUPRE; Fiscal Year: 2013..the first comprehensive examination of the associations between the major dimensions of marital trajectories (marital status, timing, sequencing, transitions, and durations) and CVD incidence and mortality using a life course framework ..
- Regeneration of meiotic spindle during oocyte vitrificationYusuke Marikawa; Fiscal Year: 2013..Women who desire to have a child at older ages due to their career or marital status can do so by using their preserved young oocytes that are likely to have intact chromosomes...
- Neighborhood Characteristics and Adolescence Dental Visits: A Multilevel ApproachChristopher Okunseri; Fiscal Year: 2012..that have investigated the relationship of dental visits to person level factors, such as age, gender, and marital status among adults in the United States...
- Functional Decline in Three Dementia TypesWALTER ANTHONY KUKULL; Fiscal Year: 2012..within-subject and within-center correlations in outcomes and potential confounding variables (age, sex, race, marital status, education, co-morbidities, time since symptom onset, baseline cognitive impairment)...
- Pregnancy Outcomes in Women with Disabilities: Exploratory ResearchBeth A Mueller; Fiscal Year: 2013..and factors related to care access and social support (prenatal care, health insurance, marital status, etc.) will be measured. The occurrence of pregnancy conditions (e.g...
- Maternal Re-Partnering, Parenting Behaviors, and Child DevelopmentLawrence M Berger; Fiscal Year: 2012..are differences in associations between maternal re-partnering and parenting behaviors and child outcomes by marital status. They will also consider whether the impact of maternal re-partnering varies by child age and gender, as well ..
- Accuracy of Same-sex Couples Data in the American Community SurveyGary J Gates; Fiscal Year: 2012..same- sex couples creates discordance between unedited responses to the relationship to householder and the marital status questions...
- The Role of Social Relationships and Self-Efficacy in Diabetes ManagementLINDA WRAY; Fiscal Year: 2009DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant):This R21 application seeks support for an investigation of the roles of marital status, social support, and self- efficacy in the effectiveness of diabetes management in a diverse population of middle-..
- Hybridized cell phone and survey generated communication networkJohn Schneider; Fiscal Year: 2013..It will then be specifically applied via an empirical analytic framework to explore the complex interactions between marital status, sex position and HIV risk among a large augmented network of Indian MSM.
- Treating Cocaine Abuse: A Behavioral ApproachStephen T Higgins; Fiscal Year: 2012..We will use marital status (currently married vs. other) and route of cocaine administration (intranasal vs...
- Individual and Community and Organizational Factors for Suicide Risk in the USAFKerry L Knox; Fiscal Year: 2013..g. age, occupation, marital status, a change in rank, or a change in location)...
- Pregnancy Intentions of HIV-Infected Women: Forwarding a Research AgendaSofia Gruskin; Fiscal Year: 2009..health services, including access to ART, affect women's intentions and opportunities?;(3) How do marital status and relationship dynamics influence fertility intentions in the context of the HIV epidemic?;and (4) How do ..
- Beliefs about Genes & Environment as Causes of BehaviorEleanor Singer; Fiscal Year: 2004..g. race, ethnicity, age, education, marital status, and religion), as well as such aspects of the rater's personality as locus of control, optimism-pessimism, ..
- Reaction and Adaptation to Major Life EventsRichard Lucas; Fiscal Year: 2009..However, the cross-sectional effect of marital status is smaller in Germany than in some other nations...
- PARENTAL EMPLOYMENT AND CHILD DEVELOPMENTCHRISTOPHER RUHM; Fiscal Year: 2002..child health or cognitive/socioemotional development? Do the results vary by race, ethnicity, education, marital status, previous earnings, or the timing and intensity of parental employment? Special attention will be paid to bias ..
- Genetically-informed designs of externalizing behavior and romantic relationshipsJessica Salvatore; Fiscal Year: 2013..g., alcohol and illicit drug abuse and dependence and antisocial behavior), marital status, and romantic relationship dysfunction...
- CORRELATES OF PRETERM AND TERM INFANT FEEDING OUTCOMESKaren Pridham; Fiscal Year: 1992..For each of four study times, relationships are examined among: (1) maternal characteristics (age, marital status, education, parenting stress, and depressive symptoms) and infant characteristics (maturity at birth-..
- Alcohol Screening Scores and Medical Outcomes: Age and Gender InfluencesALEX SOX HARRIS; Fiscal Year: 2009..Covariates (e.g., smoking, depression, income, race, education, and marital status) will be added to the unadjusted models using the MacArthur Model of risk estimation12, 13...
- Alcohol and intentional injury in the U.S ArmyNicole Bell; Fiscal Year: 2004..duty 1980-1998, including personnel records (occupation, hazardous duty pay, gender, age, rank, education, marital status, dependents, overseas assignments-all updated every 6 months), hospitalization (including ICD-9-CM codes, ..
- Age Difference of Spouses and Long-Term CareDarius Lakdawalla; Fiscal Year: 2001..propose to use data from the AHEAD study to estimate the probability of nursing home entrance by disability, marital status, and the age of a married person's spouse...
- OBESITY IN MEXICAN-AMERICAN CHILDRENJACQUELINE BLANK; Fiscal Year: 1992..fed or bottle fed, age of introduction of solid foods, weight status of siblings, maternal body mass index, marital status of mother, presence of male in household and person responsible for the child's food intake? A correlational ..
- Violence Against Teachers: Etiology & ConsequencesSUSAN GERBERICH; Fiscal Year: 2006..training, illness/injury history including prior violence experience, and demographics (age, gender, race, marital status, socioeconomic status); b) characteristics of others in the environment (co-workers, students): including ..
- ALCOHOL USE AND INJURY OUTCOMES IN THE US ARMYNicole Bell; Fiscal Year: 2000..the linked data base contains information on demographic characteristics (gender, age, marital status, number of children, race, occupation, hazardous duty pay)...
- ALCOHOL USE AND INJURY OUTCOMES IN THE US ARMYNicole Bell; Fiscal Year: 2002..the linked data base contains information on demographic characteristics (gender, age, marital status, number of children, race, occupation, hazardous duty pay)...
- ETHNIC MATCHING AND USE OF MENTAL HEALTH SERVICESLonnie Snowden; Fiscal Year: 1991..type of matching and these outcomes affected by adjustment for predisposing variables (client gender, age, marital status, education, employment), access variables (client income, insurance coverage; clinician gender, age, ..
- EPIDEMIOLOGIC INVESTIGATIONS OF HUMAN INFERTILITYMarlene Goldman; Fiscal Year: 1992..They were matched to the cases on geographic location, age, race, marital status and pay status...
- STDS, FERTILITY, MARRIAGE AND DEMOGRAPHIC PROJECTIONRonald Gray; Fiscal Year: 2002..loss rates in HIV+ and HIV- women, with or without other STDS, after adjustment for covariates such as age, marital status, sub-fertility, frequency of intercourse, contraception and knowledge of HIV status...
- PREGNANT ADDICTS AND OFFSPRING: EVALUATING INTERVENTIONJudy Howard; Fiscal Year: 1993..110, comparable with respect to socioeconomic status, ethnicity, years of education, maternal age, parity and marital status, will be randomly assigned to the control group receiving referrals to exist community programs...
- DRUG ABUSE BY PREGNANT WOMEN & NEW FATHERS-NATL ANALYSISTONI RICHARDS; Fiscal Year: 1990..variables will include characteristics of the respondent's household of origin; respondent's race/ethnicity, marital status, education and work experience, household income, region of the country, metropolitan residence, and ..
- MARITAL STATUS, MARITAL SATISFACTION AND OBESITYJeffery Sobal; Fiscal Year: 1993b>Marital status is associated with mortality and morbidity, but few studies provide data about obesity and marital status...
- FAMILY PATTERNS OF MIGRANTS TO THE NORTHSTEWART TOLNAY; Fiscal Year: 1999..of southern migrants to the North during the twentieth century, with special attention devoted to: (1) the marital status of males and females, (2) the living arrangements of currently married males and females, (3) family headship ..
- RISK TAKING AND ADJUSTMENT IN WOMEN AFFECTED BY HIVGail Wyatt; Fiscal Year: 2000..In addition, a neighborhood control sample of 200 seronegative women matched on ethnicity, age, marital status, presence of children, and neighborhood of residence and a sample of 200 (100/group) male partners of the HIV ..
- Long-term effects of war-related trauma in childrenMARIA LLABRE; Fiscal Year: 2006..with different life outcomes as young adults, including the level of education attained, employment status, marital status. Participants in the 1993 study (N = 120) will be recalled and assessed with a variety of instruments designed ..
- COMPREHENSIVE CANCER SCREENINGS AMONG UNMARRIED WOMENMelissa Clark; Fiscal Year: 2005..will focus on unmarried women 40 to 75 years, with allocation among four strata defined according to legal marital status and sexual orientation: 1) Never Married women who are heterosexual; 2) Never Married women who are lesbian; 3)..
- Women's Economic Hardship and ChildlessnessSteven Martin; Fiscal Year: 2007..by providing estimates of the uncertainty due to both sampling error and model specification; by using data on marital status to assess model projections; and by evaluating possible effects of changes in educational attainment (across ..
- Ethnicity and Pregnancy Outcomes in New York CityDavid Savitz; Fiscal Year: 2006..risk factors among women of varying ethnicity, including sociodemographic characteristics such as age, marital status, and education, and a number of medical conditions affecting the outcome of pregnancy...
- LONG-TERM CARE DECISION-MAKING AMONG KOREAN AMER ELDERLYJONG MIN; Fiscal Year: 2000..research will collect information in the following areas: demographic characteristics (age, gender, education, marital status, living arrangement, and immigration experience), antecedent characteristics (physical health history, the ..
- EMPIRICAL ANALYSES OF THE TIMING AND SPACING OF BIRTHSJames Heckman; Fiscal Year: 1990..wages, incomes, social benefits and social legislation on the life cycle dynamics of fertility, labor supply, marital status and wage growth of modern Swedish women...
- EXTENDING THE STUDY OF THE EARLY YEARS OF MARRIAGETERRI ORBUCH; Fiscal Year: 2005..As a result of the tracking project, we also have marital status information on 93.4% of the original sample...
- OSTEOARTHRITIS AND PHYSICAL DISABILITY IN THE ELDERLYDavid Felson; Fiscal Year: 1991..This study will examine that impact while controlling for other factors which affect disability such as age, marital status, living arrangements and medical comorbidities. The Framingham Heart Study cohort will be studied...
- Developmental Epidemiology of Alcohol Involvement and Marital TransitionsJAMES CRANFORD; Fiscal Year: 2009..project is to apply a developmental epidemiology framework to examine the longitudinal associations between marital status and alcohol involvement, and the degree to which these associations vary across the life course...
- PHYSICAL ACTIVITY AND CARDIOVASCULAR DISEASE PREVENTIONJoan Dorn; Fiscal Year: 1999..with regard to a number of demographic and socioeconomic characteristics (age, body mass index, education, marital status, etc...
- Use of Herbs and Dietary Supplements in Four EthnicitiesAnnette Fitzpatrick; Fiscal Year: 2005..in herbal, botanical or dietary supplement use by other demographic characteristics including age, gender, marital status, education, income and neighborhood? 3) Are there differences in herbal medicine, botanical and dietary ..
- Does Marriage in Sweden Affect Child and Adult Outcomes?DONNA GINTHER; Fiscal Year: 2007..experiment-changes in the Swedish Widow's Pension-to examine the impact of a policy-induced change in marital status; and b) sibling and individual fixed effects models to estimate the effect of a change in marital status on ..
- HEALTH AND LIVING ARRANGEMENTS OF MINORITY ELDERSDennis Hogan; Fiscal Year: 1993..of national origin, nativity status, English language proficiency, gender, age, educational level, marital status (and, for women, number of children ever born), self-reported health status, urban/rural residence, and ..
- CONTEXTUAL EFFECTS ON REPRODUCTIVE BEHAVIOR IN THE U.S.JOHN BILLY; Fiscal Year: 1992..effects of specific community characteristics on a given reproductive outcome according to a woman's race and marital status. Fourth our proposed research explicitly recognizes that "context" can be defined at multiple levels; ..
- Depression in Pregnancy and the Postpartum PeriodKoray Tanfer; Fiscal Year: 2006..of pregnancy, and at two weeks and six months postpartum, including estimates by age, race, education, income, marital status, and parity...
- WOMEN'S DRINKING: SECONDARY ANALYSES OF 20-YEAR DATASharon Wilsnack; Fiscal Year: 2009..criteria) will be analyzedfor associations with antecedents (as in childhood), accompanying changes (as in marital status), and outcomes (such as health problems)...
- ADULT ATTACHMENT MODELS: DEVELOPMENT AFTER MARRIAGEEverett Waters; Fiscal Year: 2000..explore relations of adult and child attachment status with child secure base behavior, maternal sensitivity, marital status, and cooperation with parenting partnership...
- A MODEL TO EVALUATE LONG TERM CARE INSURANCE POLICIESTHEODORE PASS; Fiscal Year: 1993..will predict future long term care need and cost for an individual, based on current health, age, sex, and marital status. The consequences of purchasing alternative policies and of not purchasing insurance will be analyzed...
- Predicting Cohabiting Unions' Outcomes and StabilityKAREN GUZZO; Fiscal Year: 2005..other life course events were experienced, what kind of events, and the number of events as well as vary by marital status and race/ethnicity; and 2) the cohabiting unions of individuals with more traditional value orientations and ..
- MARITAL STATUS AND HEALTH IN MIDDLE AND LATE LIFEMegan Beckett; Fiscal Year: 1999DESCRIPTION (adapted from the applicant's abstract): Marital status is strongly related to mortality, physical health, and mental health...
- CAREGIVING AND MENTAL HEALTH--A MULTIFACETED APPROACHM Lawton; Fiscal Year: 1992..variations in the process of caregiving and the mental health outcomes of caregiving that are associated with marital status, intrafamilial dynamics, length of caregiving and characteristics of the person and her social setting...
- GENDER DIFFERENCES IN HEALTH CARE AT THE END OF LIFEChloe Bird; Fiscal Year: 1999..differences in health service utilization and site of death vary by socioeconomic status, race/ethnicity, marital status, characteristics of other family ties, and the availability of a family member as a caregiver...