Genomes and Genes
Summary: The killing of one person by another.
Publications308 found, 100 shown here
- ["Lex Kendra" in New York, United States. Homicide, "revolving door psychiatry" and political response]H R Röttgers
Sozialpsychiatrischer Dienst des Landkreises Verden
Psychiatr Prax 28:84-7. 2001..The history, motivation and consequences of the New York State "Kendra's Law" as of August 1999 are reviewed...
- Schizophrenia and violence: systematic review and meta-analysisSeena Fazel
Department of Psychiatry, University of Oxford, Warneford Hospital, Oxford, United Kingdom
PLoS Med 6:e1000120. 2009..In addition, we conducted a systematic review of investigations that reported on risk of homicide in individuals with schizophrenia and other psychoses.
- Prevalence of depression in rural Rwanda based on symptom and functional criteriaPaul Bolton
Center for International Emergency, Disaster and Refugee Studies, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, Maryland 02066, USA
J Nerv Ment Dis 190:631-7. 2002..The authors conclude that a significant part of this population has seriously disabling depression. Work on appropriate, feasible, safe, and effective mental health interventions should be a priority for this population...
- Mortality of women from intimate partner violence in South Africa: a national epidemiological studyNaeemah Abrahams
Gender and Health Research Unit, Medical Research Council Cape Town, South Africa
Violence Vict 24:546-56. 2009..The national IPV mortality rate was more than twice that found in the United States. The study highlights the value of collecting reliable data across the globe to develop interventions for advocacy of which gender equity is critical...
- [Risk of homicide and major mental disorders: a critical review]S Richard-Devantoy
Département de psychiatrie et psychologie médicale, CHU d Angers, 4, rue Larrey, 49933 Angers Cedex 9, France
Encephale 35:521-30. 2009..It is also generally thought that schizophrenia predisposes subjects to homicidal behaviour...
- Fatal nontraffic injuries involving alcohol: A metaanalysisG S Smith
Johns Hopkins School of Hygiene and Public Health Center for Injury Research and Policy, Baltimore, MD, USA
Ann Emerg Med 33:659-68. 1999..This study synthesizes US medical examiner studies of nontraffic fatalities for the purpose of estimating alcohol involvement by injury mechanism and intent...
- Intimate femicide-suicide in South Africa: a cross-sectional studyShanaaz Mathews
Gender and Health Unit, Medical Research Council, South Africa
Bull World Health Organ 86:552-58. 2008..To examine the incidence and patterns of intimate femicide-suicide in South Africa and to describe the factors associated with an increase in the risk of suicide after intimate femicide (i.e. the killing of an intimate female partner)...
- [Homicide mortality, socioeconomic development, and police violence in the city of São Paulo, Brazil]Maria Fernanda Tourinho Peres
Universidade de Sao Paulo, Núcleo de Estudos da Violência, Sao Paulo, Brasil
Rev Panam Salud Publica 23:268-76. 2008To analyze the association between police violence and homicide mortality rates taking into consideration the effect of contextual variables.
- Neck injuries in young pediatric homicide victimsLaura K Brennan
Division of General Pediatrics, The Children s Hospital of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
J Neurosurg Pediatr 3:232-9. 2009....
- Mortality associated with use of weapons in armed conflicts, wartime atrocities, and civilian mass shootings: literature reviewR M Coupland
Unit of the Chief Medical Officer, International Committee of the Red Cross, 19 avenue de la Paix, 1202 Geneva, Switzerland
BMJ 319:407-10. 1999..To determine the implications of variation in mortality associated with use of weapons in different contexts...
- Narrative exposure therapy versus interpersonal psychotherapy. A pilot randomized controlled trial with Rwandan genocide orphansSusanne Schaal
Department of Psychology, University of Konstanz, Konstanz, Germany
Psychother Psychosom 78:298-306. 2009..The aim of the present study was to evaluate the efficacy of treatment modules for trauma spectrum disorders in a sample of Rwandan genocide orphans...
- Release from prison--a high risk of death for former inmatesIngrid A Binswanger
Puget Sound Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Seattle, USA
N Engl J Med 356:157-65. 2007..The period immediately after release may be challenging for former inmates and may involve substantial health risks. We studied the risk of death among former inmates soon after their release from Washington State prisons...
- Epidemiology of violent deaths in the worldA Reza
Division of Violence Prevention, National Center for Injury Control and Prevention, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Atlanta, GA 30341-3724, USA
Inj Prev 7:104-11. 2001OBJECTIVE: This study describes epidemiologic patterns of mortality due to suicide, homicide, and war for the world in order to serve as a benchmark against which to measure future progress and to raise awareness about violence as a ..
- Prolonged grief disorder and depression in widows due to the Rwandan genocideSusanne Schaal
Department of Clinical Psychology, University of Konstanz, Germany
Omega (Westport) 59:203-19. 2009..The two syndromes were strongly associated. No discriminant validity was found between the two constructs suggesting that PGD may rather be an appearance of depression than a separate nosological entity...
- Attempting homicide by inserting sewing needle into the brain Report of 6 cases and review of literatureAbbas Amirjamshidi
Sina Hospital, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran 19584 678, Iran
Surg Neurol 72:635-41; discussion 641. 2009Child abuse with sewing needle is a rare but well-known homicide attempt threatening the life of victims...
- Suicide/homicide ratios in countries of the Eastern Mediterranean RegionM Rezaeian
Department of Social Medicine, Rafsanjan Medical School, Rafsanjan, Islamic Republic of Iran
East Mediterr Health J 14:1459-65. 2008An analysis of suicide and homicide rates was made for countries of the Eastern Mediterranean Region using global burden disease data for 2000...
- Gun availability and use of guns for suicide, homicide, and murder in CanadaF Stephen Bridges
Division of Health, Leisure, and Exercise Science, The University of West Florida, 11000 University Parkway, Pensacola, FL 32514 5750, USA
Percept Mot Skills 98:594-8. 2004..2000b) 1970-1995 time series that examined associations between the availability of firearms and their use for homicide and suicide in Canada...
- Characteristics of perpetrators in homicide-followed-by-suicide incidents: National Violent Death Reporting System--17 US States, 2003-2005J Logan
Division of Violence Prevention, National Center for Injury Prevention and Control, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 4770 Buford Highway, MS F63, Atlanta, GA 30341, USA
Am J Epidemiol 168:1056-64. 2008b>Homicide-followed-by-suicide (referred to as "homicide-suicide") incidents are rare events but can have a profound impact on families and communities...
- Murder-suicide: a review of the recent literatureScott Eliason
University of California San Francisco, CA, USA
J Am Acad Psychiatry Law 37:371-6. 2009..There are, however, some distinct risk factors for murder-suicide including: substance abuse (not as common), mostly male perpetrators, depression (more common), and older male caregivers are at risk...
- Intimate femicide followed by suicide: examining the role of premeditationMyrna Dawson
Department of Sociology and Anthropology, University of Guelph, Ontario, Canada
Suicide Life Threat Behav 35:76-90. 2005..My results show that premeditation is more likely to occur in cases involving the offenders' suicide, but that evidence of premeditation varies depending upon the type of suicidal killer...
- Homicide followed by suicide: a comparison with homicide and suicideMarieke Liem
Willem Pompe Institute for Criminal Law and Criminology, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Suicide Life Threat Behav 40:133-45. 2010b>Homicide-suicides are a rare yet very serious form of lethal violence which mainly occurs in partnerships and families...
- Maternal filicide: a cross-national comparisonG R McKee
William S Hall Psychiatric Institute and University of South Carolina School of Medicine, Columbia 29202, USA
J Clin Psychol 54:679-87. 1998....
- The intergenerational cycle of criminality--association with psychopathyEila Repo-Tiihonen
Department of Forensic Psychiatry, University of Kuopio, Niuvanniemi Hospital, FI 70240 Kuopio, Finland
J Forensic Sci 55:116-20. 2010..The basic sample consisted of consecutive Finnish homicide offenders (during 1995-2004) who had been subjected to a forensic psychiatric examination and rated for a file-..
- Risks of drug-related death, suicide, and homicide during the immediate post-release period among people released from New York City jails, 2001-2005Sungwoo Lim
Bureau of Epidemiology Services, Division of Epidemiology, New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, Queens, NY, USA
Am J Epidemiol 175:519-26. 2012The authors assessed the risks of drug-related death, suicide, and homicide after release from New York City jails in 155,272 people who were incarcerated anytime from 2001 through 2005 and examined whether the mortality rate was ..
- Paternal filicide in QuébecDominique Bourget
Royal Ottawa Hospital, 1145 Carling Avenue, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada K1Z 7K4
J Am Acad Psychiatry Law 33:354-60. 2005..Between 1991 and 2001, all consecutive coroners' files on domestic homicide in Québec, Canada, were reviewed, and 77 child victims of 60 male parent perpetrators were identified...
- Percutaneous absorption and distribution of methanol in a homicideJoseph Avella
Department of Health Services, Division of Medical Legal and Forensic Investigations, Suffolk County, NY, USA
J Anal Toxicol 29:734-7. 2005....
- The dynamic relationship between homicide rates and social, economic, and political factors from 1970 to 2000*Patricia L McCall
Department of Sociology and Anthropology, Box 8107, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC 27695 8107, USA
Soc Sci Res 37:721-35. 2008After reaching their highest levels of the 20th century, homicide rates in the United States declined precipitously in the early 1990s...
- [Homicide by mentally ill: clinical and criminological analysis]S Barbera Pera
Centre de Recherche en Défense Sociale, CHP Les Marronniers, Tournai, Belgique
Encephale 31:539-49. 2005The present study analysed the characteristics of homicide in internees according to the Social Defence system in Belgium...
- Role of antidepressants in murder and suicideKenneth Tardiff
Am J Psychiatry 159:1248-9. 2002
- Weekend effects on binge drinking and homicide: the social connection between alcohol and violence in RussiaWilliam Alex Pridemore
Indiana University, Department of Criminal Justice, IN 47405, USA
Addiction 99:1034-41. 2004..employs unique newly available Russian mortality data to examine the social connection between binge drinking and homicide in the country...
- The murder of children by fathers in the context of child abuseKate Cavanagh
Department of Applied Social Science, University of Stirling, FK9 4LA Scotland, UK
Child Abuse Negl 31:731-46. 2007..This study examined the backgrounds of fathers who fatally abuse their children and the contexts within which these homicides occur. The type of relationship between victim, perpetrator, and the victim's mother was a particular interest...
- Characteristics of homicide followed by suicide incidents in multiple states, 2003-04R M Bossarte
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Injury Prevention and Control, Atlanta, GA 30341, USA
Inj Prev 12:ii33-ii38. 2006To calculate the prevalence of homicide followed by suicide (homicide/suicide) and provide contextual information on the incidents and demographic information about the individuals involved using data from a surveillance system that is ..
- Developing role of forensics in deterring violence and genocideEdwin Huffine
Croat Med J 48:431-6. 2007
- Do laws restricting access to firearms by domestic violence offenders prevent intimate partner homicide?Elizabeth Richardson Vigdor
Terry Sanford Institute for Public Policy, Duke University, Durham, NC 27708, USA
Eval Rev 30:313-46. 2006..The authors find that female intimate partner homicide rates decline 7% after a state passes a restraining order law...
- Risk factors for femicide in abusive relationships: results from a multisite case control studyJacquelyn C Campbell
School of Nursing, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD 21205 2110, USA
Am J Public Health 93:1089-97. 2003..This 11-city study sought to identify risk factors for femicide in abusive relationships...
- Application of fad theory to copycat crimes: quantitative data following the Columbine massacreArmando Simon
Flying Phoenix, 12306 Lone Shadow Trail, Live Oak, TX 78233 2707, USA
Psychol Rep 100:1233-44. 2007..This pattern allows for predictability of copycat crimes...
- Psychiatrists' knowledge about maternal filicidal thoughtsSusan H Friedman
Case Western Reserve University, School of Medicine University Hospitals of Cleveland, 11100 Euclid Ave, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
Compr Psychiatry 49:106-10. 2008..Psychiatrists were expected to underestimate the prevalence maternal thoughts of harming their children. It was hypothesized that psychiatrists often do not ask their patients about these thoughts...
- Human behaviour: killer instinctsDan Jones
Nature 451:512-5. 2008
- Comorbid personality disorders and substance use disorders of mentally ill homicide offenders: a structured clinical study on dual and triple diagnosesAnu Putkonen
Department of Forensic Psychiatry, University of Kuopio and Niuvanniemi Hospital, Finland
Schizophr Bull 30:59-72. 2004Comorbid substance use disorders (SUDs) increase the risk of homicide by persons with major mental disorders (MMDs)...
- Filicide: a comparative study of maternal versus paternal child homicideMarieke Liem
Willem Pompe Institute of CriminalLaw and Criminology, Department of Forensic Psychiatry and Psychology, Facultyof Law, Utrecht University, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Crim Behav Ment Health 18:166-76. 2008..Previous research on filicide has primarily focussed on either maternal or paternal filicide rather than comparing the two...
- Popliteal artery bullet embolism in a case of homicide: a case report and review of the tangible literatureSavic Slobodan
Institute of Forensic Medicine, School of Medicine, University of Belgrade, Deligradska 31a, 11000, Belgrade, Serbia and Montenegro
Forensic Sci Int 139:27-33. 2004..We present a homicide case of a bullet embolism to the left popliteal artery with interesting trajectory of projectile through the ..
- Homicide-suicide and other violent deaths: an international comparisonMarieke Liem
Leiden University, Faculty of Law, Department of Criminology, The Netherlands
Forensic Sci Int 207:70-6. 2011..Until now no study has directly compared homicide-suicides to other violent deaths from multiple countries, allowing for a better understanding of the nature of ..
- Are pregnant and postpartum women: at increased risk for violent death? Suicide and homicide findings from North CarolinaGhazaleh Samandari
Department of Maternal and Child Health, Gillings School of Global Public Health, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 4645, USA
Matern Child Health J 15:660-9. 2011The purpose of this study is to estimate rates of suicide and homicide death among pregnant, postpartum and non-pregnant/non-postpartum women ages 14-44, and to determine comparative rates of violent death for pregnant and/or postpartum ..
- The epidemiology of homicide followed by suicide: a systematic and quantitative reviewMatthew Large
Mental Health Services, The Prince of Wales Hospital, Randwick, Sydney, NSW, Australia and the School of Psychiatry, University of New South Wales, Sydney, NSW, Australia
Suicide Life Threat Behav 39:294-306. 2009This systematic review of population based studies of homicide followed by suicide was conducted to examine the associations between rates of homicide-suicide, rates of other homicides and rates of suicide...
- Homicide in discharged patients with schizophrenia and other psychoses: a national case-control studySeena Fazel
Department of Psychiatry, University of Oxford, Warneford Hospital, Oxford OX3 7JX, UK
Schizophr Res 123:263-9. 2010To investigate factors associated with homicide after discharge from hospital in patients with schizophrenia and other psychoses.
- Prozac and crime: who is the victim?Susan E Mason
Wurzweiler School of Social Work, Yeshiva University, New York, New York 10033, USA
Am J Orthopsychiatry 72:445-55. 2002..This article reviews 12 criminal cases in the United States in which Prozac victimization is a salient theme, and it calls for mental health professional organizations to intervene in a growing legal conundrum...
- Homicide by firearms in two Scandinavian capitalsH P Hougen
Institute of Forensic Medicine, University of Copenhagen, Denmark
Am J Forensic Med Pathol 21:281-6. 2000..Most victims were shot in the head, and few had entrance wounds in more than one anatomic region...
- A study of amnesia in homicide cases and forensic psychiatric experts' examination of such claimsPål Grøndahl
Centre for Forensic Psychiatry, Oslo University Hospital, Ullevaal, Department of Psychiatry, Oslo, Norway
Int J Law Psychiatry 32:281-7. 2009About one third of defendants in homicide cases claim amnesia during the time of their alleged act. Examining the authenticity of claimed amnesia is a special challenge for forensic experts...
- Homicide and suicide during the perinatal period: findings from the National Violent Death Reporting SystemChristie Lancaster Palladino
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Education Discovery Institute, Georgia Health Sciences University, Augusta, Georgia, USA
Obstet Gynecol 118:1056-63. 2011To estimate the rates of pregnancy-associated homicide and suicide in a multistate sample from the National Violent Death Reporting System, to compare these rates with other causes of maternal mortality, and to describe victims' ..
- Homicide-suicide in the United States, 1968-1975F Stephen Bridges
Department of Health, Leisure, and Exercise Science, The University of West Florida, 11, 000 University Parkway, Pensacola, FL 32514 5750, USA
Forensic Sci Int 206:185-9. 2011This paper describes for the first time the epidemiology of homicide-suicide events in the whole of the United States using archival data. From 1968 to 1975, there were 2215 homicide-suicide events out of 123,467 homicides...
- Filicide in offspring of parents with severe psychiatric disorders: a population-based cohort study of child homicideT M Laursen
National Centre for Register Based Research, Aarhus University, Aarhus, Denmark
J Clin Psychiatry 72:698-703. 2011Although rare in absolute terms, risk of homicide is markedly elevated among children of parents with mental disorders...
- Coping and complicated grief in survivors of homicide and suicide decedentsMeliss Vessier-Batchen
Charity School of Nursing, Delgado Community College, New Orleans, LA, USA
J Forensic Nurs 2:25-32. 2006..summarizes a comprehensive literature review and explores research of coping strategies used by survivors of homicide and suicide decedents...
- Suicide risk after homicide in SwedenJussi Jokinen
Department of Clinical Neuroscience, Karolinska Institutet, Karolinska University Hospital, Solna, Stockholm, Sweden
Arch Suicide Res 13:297-301. 2009Temporal aspects of suicide risk after homicide using survival analytic method are not fully known and the risk estimates are almost exclusively based on studies of less than 10 years of follow-up...
- Alcohol use and its role in female homicides in the Western Cape, South AfricaShanaaz Mathews
Gender and Health Research Unit, Medical Research Council, Cape Town, South Africa
J Stud Alcohol Drugs 70:321-7. 2009..The aim of this article is to describe the patterns of blood alcohol concentration (BAC) at the time of death for female homicide victims and to explore the factors associated with having an elevated BAC.
- The relationship between the rate of homicide by those with schizophrenia and the overall homicide rate: a systematic review and meta-analysisMatthew Large
Mental Health Services, Sydney South Eastern and Illawarra Area Health Service, Prince of Wales Hospital, Sydney, Australia
Schizophr Res 112:123-9. 2009It is widely believed that the rate of homicide by the mentally ill is fixed, differs little between regions and is unrelated to the total homicide rate.
- The legacy of minimum legal drinking age law changes: long-term effects on suicide and homicide deaths among womenRichard A Grucza
Department of Psychiatry, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri 63110, USA
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 36:377-84. 2012..Lower drinking ages were associated with several adverse outcomes, including elevated rates of suicide and homicide among youth...
- Gender differences in homicide offenders' criminal career, substance abuse and mental health care. A nationwide register-based study of Finnish homicide offenders 1995-2004Hanna Putkonen
Vanha Vaasa Hospital, Vaasa, Finland
Crim Behav Ment Health 21:51-62. 2011..It is generally considered that women who kill are more likely to have a psychiatric disorder than their male counterparts, but as a relatively small group, women are much less often studied than men in this context...
- Victim, perpetrator, family, and incident characteristics of infant and child homicide in the United States Air ForceDon R Lucas
Psychology Department, Northwest Vista College, San Antonio, TX, USA
Child Abuse Negl 26:167-86. 2002..The present study describes factors related to fatal abuse in three age groups in the United States Air Force (USAF)...
- Alcohol and malt liquor availability and promotion and homicide in inner citiesRhonda Jones-Webb
Division of Epidemiology, University of Minnesota, School of Public Health, Minneapolis, Minnesota 55454 1015, USA
Subst Use Misuse 43:159-77. 2008We investigated the role of the alcohol environment in explaining disparities in homicide rates among minorities in 10 cities in the United States using 2003 data from the Malt Liquor and Homicide study...
- Intimate partner homicide: review and implications of research and policyJacquelyn C Campbell
Johns Hopkins University School of Nursing, USA
Trauma Violence Abuse 8:246-69. 2007Current rates of intimate partner homicide of females are approximately 4 to 5 times the rate for male victims, although the rates for both have decreased during the past 25 years...
- Iatrogenic injuries leading to suspicion of homicideSaurabh Chattopadhyay
Department of Forensic Medicine, Medical College Kolkata, Ballygunge, Kolkata, West Bengal, India
J Forensic Leg Med 15:447-9. 2008..The suspicion was further strengthened by the lack of proper documentation and inappropriate/improper use of terminology of medicolegal significance...
- Epidemiology of homicide-suicide events: Oklahoma, 1994-2001R Dawn Comstock
Oklahoma State Department of Health, Injury Prevention Service, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, USA
Am J Forensic Med Pathol 26:229-35. 2005..The purpose of this study was to determine temporal trends of Oklahoma homicide-suicide events and characterize the epidemiology of these events...
- Injury patterns of female homicide victims in South AfricaShanaaz Mathews
Gender and Health Research Unit, Medical Research Council, Cape Town, South Africa
J Trauma 67:168-72. 2009..The objective of this article is to describe the incidence of female homicides and their related injury patterns with reference to autopsy practices in South Africa...
- Income inequality, trust and homicide in 33 countriesFrank J Elgar
Department of Psychology, Carleton University, Ottawa, ON, Canada
Eur J Public Health 21:241-6. 2011..Past research sensed the importance of these causal paths but few have examined them using tests of statistical mediation...
- Gun control law (Bill C-17), suicide, and homicide in CanadaF Stephen Bridges
Division of Health, Leisure, and Exercise Science, The University of West Florida, 11000 University Parkway, Pensacola, FL 32514 5750, USA
Psychol Rep 94:819-26. 2004..providing a chance to investigate the effect of firearm control laws in the use of firearms for suicide and homicide. Following Lester and Leenaars' comprehensive studies, the present study examined the use of firearms for suicide ..
- Homicide trends in the Mthatha area between 1993 and 2005B L Meel
Faculty of Health Sciences, Walter Sisulu University for Technology and Science, Mthatha, E Cape
S Afr Med J 98:477-80. 2008..Poor people are highly prone to exploitation and manipulation by those who are wealthy and more powerful. The poor are as susceptible to being victims as being perpetrators of crime...
- Filicide and fatal abuse in Japan, 1994-2005: temporal trends and regional distributionKatsuhiro Yasumi
Health Service Center, Tokyo Institute of Technology, 4259 Nagatsuta cho, Midori ku, Yokohama 226 8503, Japan
J Forensic Leg Med 16:70-5. 2009..Result suggests that recent socioeconomic situations have a significant effect on not only filicide-suicide but also the overall filicide rate in Japan...
- Women who kill their childrenClotilde Rougé-Maillart
Forensic Medicine Department, Angers, France
Am J Forensic Med Pathol 26:320-6. 2005..A child aged 1 through 16 has a different role in the family, and their murder is perceived differently. We would expect mothers charged with filicide to be drawn from a slightly different population than other child-killing mothers...
- Homicide in children and adolescents: a case-control study in Recife, BrazilG H Falbo
Department of Paediatric Surgery, Instituto Materno Infantil de Pemambuco, Recife, Brazil
Bull World Health Organ 79:2-7. 2001OBJECTIVE: The homicide rate for children and adolescents in Recife, Brazil, mostly caused by firearms, is one of the highest that has been reported...
- Effect of a ban on carrying firearms on homicide rates in 2 Colombian citiesA Villaveces
Department of Epidemiology, School of Public Health and Community Medicine, and the Harborview Injury Prevention and Research Center, University of Washington, Seattle, USA
JAMA 283:1205-9. 2000b>Homicide is a leading cause of death in Colombia, with much of the fatal interpersonal violence concentrated in the country's largest cities. Firearms are involved in as much as 80% of homicides in Colombia.
- Increasing inequalities in risk of murder in Britain: trends in the demographic and spatial distribution of murder, 1981-2000Mary Shaw
Department of Social Medicine, University of Bristol, Canynge Hall, Whiteladies Road, Bristol BS8 2PR, UK
Health Place 11:45-54. 2005..Rates of murder have risen in the same population groups and areas that have experienced increases in suicide and may be associated with worsening social and spatial inequality...
- The role of alcohol and drugs in homicides in England and WalesJenny Shaw
National Confidential Inquiry into Suicide and Homicide by People with Mental Illness, Centre for Suicide Prevention, University of Manchester, Manchester, UK
Addiction 101:1117-24. 2006The annual number of homicide convictions in England and Wales is increasing. Previous studies have highlighted the aetiological role of alcohol and drugs in homicide.
- Medical homicide and extreme negligenceEmily Duncanson
New York City Office of Chief Medical Examiner, New York, NY 10016, USA
Am J Forensic Med Pathol 30:18-22. 2009..medical" deaths, however, have been criminally prosecuted for manslaughter, reckless endangerment, or reckless homicide. We describe 5 deaths due to medical complications that underwent criminal prosecution...
- Filicide-suicide: common factors in parents who kill their children and themselvesSusan Hatters Friedman
Department of Psychiatry, University Hospitals of Cleveland, Hanna Pavilion, 11100 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, 44106, USA
J Am Acad Psychiatry Law 33:496-504. 2005..The data support the hypothesis that traditional risk factors for violence appear different from commonly occurring factors in filicide-suicide. This descriptive study represents a step toward understanding filicide-suicide risk...
- Strangulation deaths during 1993-2002 in East Delhi (India)Satish K Verma
Department of Forensic Medicine, University College of Medical Sciences and Guru Teg Bahadur Hospital, Delhi 110095, India
Leg Med (Tokyo) 8:1-4. 2006..The paper describes and discusses the findings in detail...
- Violent deaths among women of reproductive age in rural BangladeshM Kapil Ahmed
Health and Demographic Surveillance System, ICDDR, B Centre for Health and Population Research, GPO Box 128, Dhaka 1000, Bangladesh
Soc Sci Med 59:311-9. 2004..The disadvantaged position of women in Bangladesh society is the key underlying social cause of the violence that occurred. In order for violence against women to decrease, improvement in the social position of women is essential...
- Seasonal variation in the occurrence of homicide in FinlandJ Tiihonen
Department of Forensic Psychiatry, University of Kuopio, Finland
Am J Psychiatry 154:1711-4. 1997..is a topic of current interest, there is little firm knowledge on seasonality in the occurrence of homicide. Longitudinal studies on the seasonal rhythms of platelet imipramine binding and L-tryptophan levels have placed ..
- Relationship of IQ to suicide and homicide rate: an international perspectiveDonald I Templer
Alliant International University
Psychol Rep 100:108-12. 2007IQs were correlated with the z score of suicide rate minus z score of homicide rate using nine regions of the world--established market economies, formerly socialized Europe, India, China, other Asian nations, Sub-Saharan Africa, Latin ..
- Homicide and suicide risks associated with firearms in the home: a national case-control studyDouglas J Wiebe
Violence Prevention Research Group, University of California Los Angeles School of Public Health, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Ann Emerg Med 41:771-82. 2003I test the hypothesis that having a gun in the home is a risk factor for adults to be killed (homicide) or to commit suicide.
- Homicidal deaths by firearms in Peshawar: an autopsy studyZahid Hussain
Department of Forensic Medicine, Khyber Medical College Peshawar
J Ayub Med Coll Abbottabad 18:44-7. 2006..The present study provides information regarding the homicidal deaths due to firearm injuries in the district of Peshawar, NWFP, Pakistan...
- The effect of urban street gang densities on small area homicide incidence in a large metropolitan county, 1994-2002Paul L Robinson
Charles Drew University of Medicine and Science, Los Angeles, CA, USA
J Urban Health 86:511-23. 2009..overall levels of violence in urban communities through a process of gun-drug diffusion and cross-type homicide. This effect is said to act independently of other known correlates of violence, i.e., neighborhood poverty...
- Death by unnatural causes during childhood and early adulthood in offspring of psychiatric inpatientsRoger T Webb
Centre for Women s Mental Health Research and Biostatistics Group, University of Manchester, Oxford Road, Manchester, England
Arch Gen Psychiatry 64:345-52. 2007..Offspring of psychiatric inpatients are at higher risk of death from all causes, but their cause-specific risks have not been quantified...
- Neighbourhoods and homicide mortality: an analysis of race/ethnic differencesP M Krueger
Department of Sociology, University of Colorado, Boulder, CO 80309, USA
J Epidemiol Community Health 58:223-30. 2004..examine whether measures of neighbourhood economic deprivation, social disorganisation, and acculturation explain homicide mortality differentials between Mexican Americans, non-Hispanic black Americans, and non-Hispanic white Americans,..
- An evaluation of state firearm regulations and homicide and suicide death ratesM Rosengart
University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Inj Prev 11:77-83. 2005....
- Homicide and major mental disorders: a 25-year studyH Schanda
Justizanstalt Göllersdorf, Schlossgasse 17, Vienna, Austria
Acta Psychiatr Scand 110:98-107. 2004This study was designed to investigate the association between major mental disorders (MMDs) and homicide.
- Urban-rural shifts in intentional firearm death: different causes, same resultsCharles C Branas
Department of Biostatistics and Epidemiology, University of Pennsylvania, 829 Blockley Hall, 423 Guardian Drive, Philadelphia, PA 19104 6021, USA
Am J Public Health 94:1750-5. 2004..We analyzed urban-rural differences in intentional firearm death...
- Homicide by ligature strangulation in Finland: offence and offender characteristicsHelinä Häkkänen
National Bureau of Investigation, Department of Psychology, University of Helsinki, Finland
Forensic Sci Int 152:61-4. 2005In Finland, homicide by ligature strangulation is a rare event. The purpose of this study was to investigate recent homicide cases by ligature strangulation and to analyse offence and offender characteristics...
- Alcoholism and homicide with respect to the classification systems of Lesch and CloningerUdo Reulbach
Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, University of Erlangen Nuremberg Germany Schwabachanlage 6, 91054 Erlangen, Germany
Alcohol Alcohol 42:103-7. 2007..A psychopathological subtyping of alcohol dependence in offenders who committed homicide has mainly been related to impulsive and dissocial personalities up to now.
- [Spatial analysis of socioeconomic determinants of homicide in Brazil]Maria Luiza C de Lima
Faculdade de Ciencias Medicas, Universidade de Pernambuco, Recife, PE, Brazil
Rev Saude Publica 39:176-82. 2005To investigate the association between homicide rates and socio-economic variables taking into account the spatial site of the indicators.
- The prediction of violence and homicide in young menRolf Loeber
Department of Psychiatry, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, 15213 PA, USA
J Consult Clin Psychol 73:1074-88. 2005In this prospective study, the authors predicted violence and homicide in 3 representative school samples (N = 1,517)...
- Ten years after the genocide: trauma confrontation and posttraumatic stress in Rwandan adolescentsSusanne Schaal
Department of Psychology, Center for Psychiatry Reichenau, University of Konstanz, Germany
J Trauma Stress 19:95-105. 2006..Furthermore, a significant relationship was found between the number of traumatic experiences and subsequent stress responses...
- Patterns of non-firearm homicideJ P Henderson
Forensic Science Unit, School of Applied Science, South Bank University, 103 Borough Road, London SE1 0AA, UK
J Clin Forensic Med 12:128-32. 2005..A marked difference in homicide pattern existed between the male and female victims...
- Adolescent homicides in Finland: offence and offender characteristicsCamilla Hagelstam
Department of Psychology, Criminal and Forensic Psychology Research Group, University of Helsinki, Finland
Forensic Sci Int 164:110-5. 2006..Forensic psychiatric evaluation statements of adolescent offenders accused of a homicide during 1990-2001 were reviewed retrospectively (n=57). In 38% of the cases, there were multiple offenders...
- Harmful alcohol use of those who died a violent death (the extended region of Ljubljana 1995-1999)L Skibin
Health Centre Sezana, SI 6210 Sezana, Partizanska cesta 24, Slovenia
Forensic Sci Int 147:S49-52. 2005....
- A comparison of antecedents of homicide-suicide and suicide in older married menJ E Malphurs
Department of Aging and Mental Health, Florida Mental Health Institute, University of South Florida, Tampa 33612, USA
Am J Geriatr Psychiatry 9:49-57. 2001The authors compared characteristics of 27 older men who perpetrated a spousal homicide-suicide and 36 age-matched married men who committed suicide in west central Florida between 1988 and 1994...
- A newspaper surveillance study of homicide-suicide in the United StatesJulie E Malphurs
Department of Aging and Mental Health, University of South Florida, Tampa 33612, USA
Am J Forensic Med Pathol 23:142-8. 2002The objective of this study was to identify the number and subtypes of homicide-suicides in the United States by age group and state over a 3-year period from 1997 through 1999...
- Differences between homicide and filicide offenders; results of a nationwide register-based case-control studyHanna Putkonen
Vanha Vaasa Hospital, PO Box 13, 65381 Vaasa, Finland
BMC Psychiatry 9:27. 2009Filicide, the killing of one's child, is an extraordinary form of homicide. It has commonly been associated with suicide and parental psychiatric illness...
- Drugs, detention, and death: a study of the mortality of recently released prisonersClarissa S Krinsky
Department of Pathology, University of New Mexico Health Sciences Center, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, NM 87131, USA
Am J Forensic Med Pathol 30:6-9. 2009..The time surrounding release provides an opportunity for education on the risks of accidental overdose and the development of interventions to mitigate these risks...
- Understanding the uneven distribution of the incidence of homicide in Latin AmericaRoberto Briceño-León
Laboratorio de Ciencias Sociales, Universidad Central de Venezuela, Caracas, Venezuela
Int J Epidemiol 37:751-7. 2008..However, there seems to be an uneven geographical distribution of such instances...
- Morbidity & mortality of firearm injury in Peshawar RegionMian Mujahid Shah
Department of Forensic Medicine, Women Medical College, Abbottabad, Pakistan
J Ayub Med Coll Abbottabad 20:102-4. 2008..The present study, carried out at a major tertiary care hospital of Peshawar, Pakistan was aimed at highlighting the extent and severity of firearm-related morbidity and resultant mortality despite expert medical care...
- Vodka and violence: alcohol consumption and homicide rates in RussiaWilliam Alex Pridemore
Department of Sociology, University of Oklahoma, Norman 73019, USA
Am J Public Health 92:1921-30. 2002In Russia, rates of alcohol consumption and homicide are among the highest in the world, and already-high levels increased dramatically after the breakup of the Soviet Union. Rates of both, however, vary greatly among Russia's 89 regions...
- Personalized Clinical Diagnostics and Beyond: Integrated Ring Resonator ArraysRyan Bailey; Fiscal Year: 2009..This technology promises to broadly impact the landscape of the biomedical sciences, both meeting the clinical diagnostic challenges of today and pioneering the paradigm-shifting discoveries of tomorrow. ..
- Inhibition of human neutrophil function by Francisella tularensisLee Ann H Allen; Fiscal Year: 2012..The results of this study may lead to new treatments to combat this severe and often fatal lung infection. ..
- Effect of PPARy Ligands on Alcohol-Induced Alveolar Macrophage Oxidative StressSamantha M Yeligar; Fiscal Year: 2013..Thus, this K99/R00 application provides an excellent opportunity to advance the career of a talented and promising investigator. ..
- Group A Streptococcus responses to oxidative stressIoannis Gryllos; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Skeletal Muscle. Ca Release Control Inside the Sarcoplasmic Reticulum.Eduardo Rios; Fiscal Year: 2013..As a result there will be multiple repercussions to their defects or failures. It can be anticipated, therefore, that our research will have consequences outside its field of muscle and exercise. ..
- Molecular Mechanisms of Parvovirus Gene Expression and ReplicationJianming Qiu; Fiscal Year: 2013..e., EPCs ex vivo-expanded under hypoxic conditions for B19V in this application. ..
- A novel peroxidase in vascular endothelium and the development of atherosclerosisGuangjie Cheng; Fiscal Year: 2012..Furthermore, we anticipate this research will lead to the development of a new drug that inhibits the enzyme's activity and blocks the change of LDL. ..
- Human neutrophils, phospholipase A2 and S.aureus: microbial targets and responsesWilliam M Nauseef; Fiscal Year: 2013..abstract_text> ..
- Novel Bioconjugate Vaccines to Prevent Staphylococcus aureus InfectionJEAN CLAIRE LEE; Fiscal Year: 2013..The "bioconjugate" vaccines will be tested in animal models of staphylococcal infection and processed for initial safety testing in humans. ..
- X chromosome, injury and infectionZoltan Spolarics; Fiscal Year: 2012..Better understanding of the protecting cellular mechanisms that are in effect during septic conditions could lead to advanced protocols in treating the critically ill. ..
- Characterization of new toxins (YmgD and YdfD) from E.coli, targeting cell wallHisako Masuda; Fiscal Year: 2012....
- Transplatin: A Novel Agent to Mitigate Cisplatin ToxicityVickram Ramkumar; Fiscal Year: 2013..Overall, we believe that this study will provide the basis for the use of transplatin to alleviate cisplatin toxicities in cancer patients. ..
- Mechanism Underlying Nitrite Sensitivity of Mucoid Pseudomonas in COPDDaniel J Hassett; Fiscal Year: 2013..Improved treatment options, in this case the use of sodium nitrite for the management of COPD exacerbations precipitated by PA infection are needed to reduce mortality and morbidity. ..
- Interplay Between Tissue Architecture and Nuclear Organization in the DNA DamagePierre Alexandre Vidi; Fiscal Year: 2013..Gaining this knowledge is important to enhance the efficacy of anticancer treatments, and to develop cancer prevention strategies. ..
- Mechanisms of virus-induced injury in the brain and spinal cordKenneth L Tyler; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- The Electricidal Effect, a Novel Anti-Biofilm StrategyRobin Patel; Fiscal Year: 2013..This new strategy would overcome the resistance to traditional antibiotics of microorganisms in biofilms. ..
- LIVER PRESERVATION FOR TRANSPLANTATIONJohn J Lemasters; Fiscal Year: 2012..The information gained from the proposed experiments will be useful for improving clinical outcomes of not only so-called marginal donor livers but of virtually every liver graft. ..
- Photodynamic Therapy of Localized InfectionsMichael R Hamblin; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Regulation of vaccine-induced anti-fungal T17 cellsMARCEL WUETHRICH; Fiscal Year: 2013..In this proposal, we will identify the host-pathogen interactions that are the foundation of vaccine-induced resistance. The knowledge gained from this research will lead to the development of fungal vaccines and adjuvants. ..
- Mechanistic Studies on Prostate Cancer Prevention by GugulipidDong Xiao; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Enhancing radiation and cisplatin HNSCC cell killing by inhibiting mitochondrialLynn Harrison; Fiscal Year: 2013..Specific Aim 2 ..
- Novel Regenerative Therapy for Myocardial InfarctionAndrew R Mendelsohn; Fiscal Year: 2011..PUBLIC HEALTH RELEVANCE: We are developing a new regenerative therapy for the treatment of myocardial infarction (heart attacks). A new drug will stimulate the heart to repair itself. ..
- Colitis Induced by immune responses to luminal bacteria-mouseRyan B Sartor; Fiscal Year: 2012....
- Redox regulation of phagocyte NOX2 in inflammation and agingRobert A Clark; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Mycobacterium avium subspecies in Crohn's DiseaseSaleh Naser; Fiscal Year: 2005..Ultimately, the outcome of this study will go a long way toward clearing up the MAP debate. ..
- Robot-Assisted MRI-Guided Prostate BiopsyDan Stoianovici; Fiscal Year: 2010..Unlike current biopsy technology that targets regions of the gland, the MRI-guided instrument will assist the physician target lesions of image abnormality. ..
- PHTHALOCYANINE PHOTODYNAMIC THERAPY OF SKIN TUMORSHasan Mukhtar; Fiscal Year: 1999..Agents found to be effective will then be tested for abrogation of photosensitivity by administration to mice after Pc-PDT of skin tumors, and reexposure to light radiation vs. controls. ..
- Development of targeted photodynamic therapy for treatment of dental cariesRandal Eckert; Fiscal Year: 2010..It will encourage and support innovative research from a small business on the etiology, pathogenesis, prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of oral, craniofacial, and dental diseases and disorders. ..
- Investigation of synergy between Rifampin and SQ109, a new anti-TB drug candidateVENKATA REDDY; Fiscal Year: 2009..In this application, we outline the experiment design for all three tasks in sequence. Further, we provide alternative directions for the study of this interesting synergy if the data obtained do not support our hypothesis. ..
- Developing acid-activated antimicrobial peptides to control dental cariesMaxwell Anderson; Fiscal Year: 2009..It will encourage and support research from small businesses on the etiology, pathogenesis, prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of oral, craniofacial, and dental diseases and disorders. ..
- Role of B cells in the Cell-Mediated Immune Response to Leishmania amazonensisKatherine Nicole Gibson Corley; Fiscal Year: 2010..These findings will also advance our understanding of genetic predispositions to leishmaniasis. ..
- Innate Immunity in MyocarditisSally A Huber; Fiscal Year: 2010..4) Determine if c-FLIPL expression differs between CD4+Th1 and Th2 cells and whether elevated levels in Th1 cells protects them from V4+ cell mediated killing. ..
- IN VIVO STUDIES OF SALIVA ANTIMICROBIAL PROTEINSJOEL RUDNEY; Fiscal Year: 2001..By focusing on redundancy and complexing, this project also addresses the question of whether individual proteins exert unique and specific effects in the mouth. ..
- CELLULAR & MOLECULAR BASIS FOR BASAL CELL NEVUS SYNDROMEHONNAVARA ANANTHASWAMY; Fiscal Year: 1992..Studies addressing these questions may lead to the identification of some of the defects that are associated with the pathogenesis of skin cancer in BCNS patients...
- INNATE MECHANISMS OF MYCOPLASMAL KILLING BY ALVEOLAR MACJUDY HICKMAN DAVIS; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- E. histolytica phagocytosis of apoptotic host cellsChristopher Huston; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..