Summary: Disciplines concerned with the interrelationships of individuals in a social environment including social organizations and institutions. Includes Sociology and Anthropology.
Publications248 found, 100 shown here
- Network analysis in the social sciencesStephen P Borgatti
LINKS Center for Network Research in Business, Gatton College of Business and Economics, University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY 40506 0034, USA
Science 323:892-5. 2009Over the past decade, there has been an explosion of interest in network research across the physical and social sciences. For social scientists, the theory of networks has been a gold mine, yielding explanations for social phenomena in ..
- OpenSesame: an open-source, graphical experiment builder for the social sciencesSebastiaan Mathôt
Department of Cognitive Psychology, Vrije Universiteit, Van der Boechorststraat 1, 1081, HV, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Behav Res Methods 44:314-24. 2012In the present article, we introduce OpenSesame, a graphical experiment builder for the social sciences. OpenSesame is free, open-source, and cross-platform...
- Ensuring the data-rich future of the social sciencesGary King
Institute for Quantitative Social Science, 1737 Cambridge Street, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA 02138, USA
Science 331:719-21. 2011..I address these changes and challenges and suggest what can be done...
- Future health applications of genomics: priorities for communication, behavioral, and social sciences researchColleen M McBride
Social and Behavioral Research Branch, National Human Genome Research Institute, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
Am J Prev Med 38:556-65. 2010Despite the quickening momentum of genomic discovery, the communication, behavioral, and social sciences research needed for translating this discovery into public health applications has lagged behind...
- What can the social sciences contribute to the study of ethics? Theoretical, empirical and substantive considerationsErica Haimes
Department of Sociology and Social Policy, University of Newcastle, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 7RU, United Kingdom
Bioethics 16:89-113. 2002This article seeks to establish that the social sciences have an important contribution to make to the study of ethics...
- Lab experiments are a major source of knowledge in the social sciencesArmin Falk
Centre for Economic Policy Research, Center for Economic Studies and Ifo Institute for Economic Research, Institute for the Study of Labor IZA, and University of Bonn, 53113 Bonn, Germany
Science 326:535-8. 2009..With the exception of psychology, the adoption of laboratory experiments has been much slower in the social sciences, although during the past two decades the use of lab experiments has accelerated...
- The extent to which behavioural and social sciences theories and models are used in sport injury prevention researchAngela J McGlashan
School of Human Movement and Sport Sciences, University of Ballarat, Mt Helen, Victoria, Australia
Sports Med 40:841-58. 2010..Appropriate use of BSSTM is critical to provide the theoretical basis to guide these efforts...
- Methods for the behavioral, educational, and social sciences: an R packageKen Kelley
Inquiry Methodolgy Program, Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana 47405, USA
Behav Res Methods 39:979-84. 2007Methods for the Behavioral, Educational, and Social Sciences (MBESS; Kelley, 2007b) is an open source package for R (R Development Core Team, 2007b), an open source statistical programming language and environment...
- Exploring barriers to teaching behavioural and social sciences in medical educationAndrea Litva
Division of Primary Care, School of Population, Community and Behavioural Sciences, University of Liverpool, Liverpool, UK
Med Educ 42:309-14. 2008..Yet, despite the presence of the behavioural and social sciences (B&SS) in medical curricula in the UK for the past 30 years, barriers to their implementation in medical ..
- Translating upwards: linking the neural and social sciences via neuroeconomicsClement Levallois
Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University, 3062 PA, The Netherlands
Nat Rev Neurosci 13:789-97. 2012..reveal key structural and intellectual challenges in balancing the goals of neuroscience with those of the social sciences. To address these challenges, we offer a set of prescriptive recommendations for directing future research in ..
- Self-organized complexity in the physical, biological, and social sciencesDonald L Turcotte
Department of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 99:2463-5. 2002
- Latent variables in psychology and the social sciencesKenneth A Bollen
Odum Institute for Research in Social Science, CB 3210 Hamilton
Annu Rev Psychol 53:605-34. 2002..It concludes with an evaluation of the different definitions of latent variables and their properties...
- HIV/AIDS: a long-term research agenda for social sciencesJean Paul Moatti
AIDS Care 20:407-12. 2008
- Authorship and publication practices in the social sciences: historical reflections on current practicesMuriel J Bebeau
School of Dentistry, University of Minnesota, 15 136 Moos Tower, 515 Delaware S E, Minneapolis, MN 55455, USA
Sci Eng Ethics 17:365-88. 2011..Discussions across a broad range of research disciplines beyond the social sciences would likely be beneficial...
- An overview of Aboriginal health research in the social sciences: current trends and future directionsKathi Wilson
Department of Geography, University of Toronto Mississauga, Toronto, Canada
Int J Circumpolar Health 67:179-89. 2008To examine if Aboriginal health research conducted within the field of social sciences reflects the population and geographic diversity of the Aboriginal population.
- The essential role of social theory in qualitative public health researchKaren Willis
School of Sociology and Social Work, University of Tasmania
Aust N Z J Public Health 31:438-43. 2007..To define the role of social theory and examine how research studies using qualitative methods can use social theory to generalize their results beyond the setting of the study or to other social groups...
- Biomedical HIV prevention--and social scienceJohn Imrie
National Centre in HIV Social Research, University of New South Wales, Sydney, NSW, Australia
Lancet 370:10-1. 2007
- The contribution of social science research to malaria prevention and controlHolly Ann Williams
Partnership for Social Sciences in Malaria Control
Bull World Health Organ 80:251-2. 2002
- Psychiatric conditions and the social sciencesHoracio Fabrega
University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Psychopathology 38:223-7. 2005..The article provides a way to conceptualize meanings psychiatric disorders have had in these two systems of representation and their change during evolution...
- Interdisciplinarity and systems science to improve population health: a view from the NIH Office of Behavioral and Social Sciences ResearchPatricia L Mabry
Office of Behavioral and Social Sciences Research, Office of the Director, NIH, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
Am J Prev Med 35:S211-24. 2008..The strategic vision of the Office of Behavioral and Social Sciences Research (OBSSR) at the National Institutes of Health (NIH) is rooted in a collaborative approach to ..
- Interactional nursing--a practice-theory in the dynamic field between the natural, human and social sciencesMerry Elisabeth Scheel
The School of Advanced Nursing Education at Aarhus University, Denmark
Scand J Caring Sci 22:629-36. 2008..practice is understood from the point of view of the natural sciences as well as that of the human and social sciences. This article presents many-faceted practice-theory of nursing, which is situated in the dynamic field ..
- Overcoming barriers to teaching the behavioral and social sciences to medical studentsJochanan Benbassat
JDC Brookdale Institute, Health Policy Research Program, Jerusalem, Israel
Acad Med 78:372-80. 2003Most U.S. medical schools offer courses in the behavioral and social sciences (BSS), but their implementation is frequently impeded by problems...
- HIV/AIDS and the construction of Sub-Saharan Africa: heuristic lessons from the social sciences for policyIan E A Yeboah
Department of Geography, Miami University, Oxford, OH 45056, USA
Soc Sci Med 64:1128-50. 2007....
- Biomedical scientists' perception of the social sciences in health researchMathieu Albert
University of Toronto, Wilson Centre, Toronto General Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Soc Sci Med 66:2520-31. 2008..Canadian health sciences sector has been manifested by initiatives aimed at increasing the involvement of the social sciences in this sector...
- Behavioral and social sciences theories and models: are they used in unintentional injury prevention research?L B Trifiletti
Department of Heath Policy and Management, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Health Educ Res 20:298-307. 2005Behavioral and social sciences theories and models have the potential to enhance efforts to reduce unintentional injuries...
- No content without context: integrating basic, clinical, and social sciences in a pre-clerkship curriculumLuann Wilkerson
David Geffen School of Medicine, University of California, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Med Teach 31:812-21. 2009..Given this expectation, learning context becomes as decisive as content in determining students' recall and application...
- U.S. science policy. Senate panel chair asks why NSF funds social sciencesJeffrey Mervis
Science 312:829. 2006
- "Publish or Perish" as citation metrics used to analyze scientific output in the humanities: International case studies in economics, geography, social sciences, philosophy, and historyAudrey Baneyx
Institut Francilien Recherche, Innovation et Société IFRIS, Université Paris Est Marne la Vallée, Paris, France
Arch Immunol Ther Exp (Warsz) 56:363-71. 2008..The fields of economics, geography, social sciences, philosophy, and history are focused on to illustrate the differences of results between these two databases...
- Everyday life with AIDS/HIV: surveys in the social sciencesJ Pierret
Centre de recherche médecine, Sciences, santé et société, CNRS INSERM EHESS, Paris, France
Soc Sci Med 50:1589-98. 2000..In conclusion, questions are raised about what implications the new HIV/AIDS treatments will have on this field of social science research...
- Goethe's science: an approach to research in American Indian StudiesNicholas C Peroff
Bloch School of Business and Public Administration, University of Missouri Kansas City, Kansas City, MO
Nonlinear Dynamics Psychol Life Sci 7:263-75. 2003..complements the analytic and causal- explanatory framework that underlies most research in the natural and social sciences. Goethe's insights and methods suggest that a better understanding of Indian tribes may occur when a tribe is ..
- Riding natural scientists' coattails onto the endless frontier: the SSRC and the quest for scientific legitimacyMark Solovey
J Hist Behav Sci 40:393-22. 2004..Research Council's (SSRC's) leading scholars (re)asserted a contested scientistic strategy-to advance the social sciences by following the natural sciences...
- National Institutes of Health. Report seeks stability for behavioral sciencesJocelyn Kaiser
Science 306:1878. 2004
- Strategies for achieving research utilization in the Bangladesh population program: implications for health education. 1980-81Nurul Islam Khan
Population Department, The World Bank, Washington DC, USA
Int Q Community Health Educ 25:19-35. 2005..The focus of this paper is on communication between administrators and researchers-the problems that arise, and the strategies that may be used to facilitate communication in order to improve use of research findings...
- Toward transdisciplinary research: historical and contemporary perspectivesFrank Kessel
University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
Am J Prev Med 35:S225-34. 2008....
- Ethics of research involving humans: uniform processes for disparate categories?Malcolm Parker
Teaching and Learning Unit, School of Medicine, University of Queensland, Australia
Monash Bioeth Rev 22:50-65. 2003..inter alia, the Australian Academy of the Humanities, the Australian Academy of Science, and the Academy of Social Sciences in Australia. High ethical standards should apply to all research involving humans...
- "Decolonizing" the minds of bioethicists: reflections on psychosocial challengesSandra Anderson Garcia
University of South Florida
Am J Bioeth 3:27-9. 2003
- Public health. Increasing international gaps in health-related publicationsGuillermo Paraje
World Health Organization CH 1211 Geneva 27 Switzerland
Science 308:959-60. 2005
- Latino oral health: A research agenda toward eliminating oral health disparitiesFrancisco Ramos-Gomez
Department of Orofacial Sciences, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, Calif, 94143 0753, USA
J Am Dent Assoc 136:1231-40. 2005..The Hispanic population has become the largest minority group in the United States, resulting in an increase in oral health care demands. Developing a research agenda and promoting collaboration on Latino oral health issues are crucial...
- Research activities and perspectives of research members of the American Dietetic AssociationEsther F Myers
ADA Headquarters, Chicago, IL, USA
J Am Diet Assoc 103:1235-43. 2003
- Herbert Simon and the GSIA: building an interdisciplinary communityHunter Crowther-Heyck
University of Oklahoma, USA
J Hist Behav Sci 42:311-34. 2006..that despite the pressures toward disciplinary specialization created by the rapid growth of the postwar social sciences, there were strong countercurrents supporting interdisciplinary work...
- Alarm bells should help us refocusNeal Lane
Science 312:1847. 2006
- A world from brave to new: Talcott Parsons and the war effort at Harvard UniversityU Gerhardt
University of Heidelburg, Germany
J Hist Behav Sci 35:257-89. 1999..Targets envisaged for the 1950s, then, were community and citizenship in the newly democratic societies such as (West) Germany, the land that defeated Nazism...
- Research development mechanismsJunius J Gonzales
Ment Health Serv Res 4:255-6. 2002..to reduce the burden of affective disorders should apply and develop theories and methods from diverse social sciences that could strengthen current interventions...
- Missing data: prevalence and reporting practicesTodd E Bodner
Department of Psychology, Portland State University, Portland, OR 97207, USA
Psychol Rep 99:675-80. 2006..One may consider these results as baseline data to assess progress as reporting standards evolve for studies with missing data. Some potential reporting standards are discussed...
- Converging trends in family research and pediatrics: recent findings for the American Academy of Pediatrics Task Force on the FamilyDonald Wertlieb
Tufts University Center for Children and the Eliot Pearson Department of Child Development, Tufts University, Medford, Massachusetts 02155, USA
Pediatrics 111:1572-87. 2003
- Improving blood donor recruitment and retention: integrating theoretical advances from social and behavioral science research agendasEamonn Ferguson
Risk Analysis, Social Processes and Health RASPH Group, School of Psychology, University of Nottingham, Nottingham, UK
Transfusion 47:1999-2010. 2007..This article aims to review both of these types of literature, examine theoretical developments, identify commonalities, and offer a means to integrate these within a single intervention approach...
- From research to practiceMarc Marschark
J Deaf Stud Deaf Educ 13:1-2. 2008
- The task for ethics review: should research ethics boards address an approach or a paradigm?Connie H Nelson
NCEHR Commun 12:11-22. 2004
- Beyond the IRB: examining common but rarely explored ethical issues in psychosocial researchRobin K Matsuyama
Virginia Commonwealth University VCU School of Medicine, USA
Monash Bioeth Rev 26:49-59. 2007..It is suggested that academic researchers also look to other disciplines, such as industry, for examples of research that is concise, cost-effective, and reliable...
- Harvesting the living?: separating "brain death" and organ transplantationCourtney S Campbell
Department of Philosophy, Oregon State University, Corvallis, OR, USA
Kennedy Inst Ethics J 14:301-18. 2004..of organ scarcity should prompt bioethicists to engage in constructive dialogue about the relation of the social sciences and bioethics, to examine the social malleability of the definition of death, and to revisit the question of ..
- The birth of the empirical turn in bioethicsPascal Borry
Center for Biomedical Ethics and Law, Faculty of Medicine, K U Leuven, Kapucijnenvoer 35 3, 3000 Leuven, Belgium
Bioethics 19:49-71. 2005..Secondly, the social sciences were absent partners since the beginning of bioethics...
- Ethical regulation and humanities research in Australia: problems and consequencesRobert Cribb
Research School of Pacific and Asian Studies, Australian National University, Australia
Monash Bioeth Rev 23:39-57. 2004..Also, ethics committees are constituted primarily to look at ethical issues that arise from medical and scientific research, causing extra problems for those in the humanities and social sciences.
- Some frontiers in social scienceWilliam P Butz
Population Reference Bureau, 1875 Connecticut Avenue, Washington, DC 20009, USA
Science 312:1898-900. 2006The fundamental challenge in the social sciences is moving from complicated correlations to useful prediction. Progress usually reflects an interplay between theory, data, and tools...
- [Gender specificity and interdisciplinarity. Methodological-theoretical observations]Uwe Krebs
Institut für anthropologisch historische Bildungsforschung der Friedrich Alexander Universität Erlangen Nürnberg
Anthropol Anz 63:289-98. 2005In public, sex specifity of humans is under a lively discussion, dominated by Social Sciences. It could be observed that between the theoretically involved disciplines natural sciences, social sciences and liberal arts exist very little ..
- Law and emotion: a proposed taxonomy of an emerging fieldTerry A Maroney
Gould School of Law, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, California 90089 0071, USA
Law Hum Behav 30:119-42. 2006..Directions for future research are discussed and cross-disciplinary collaboration encouraged...
- [Public health, genetics and ethics]Miguel H Kottow
Facultad de Medicina, Universidad de Chile, Santiago
Rev Saude Publica 36:537-44. 2002....
- Expansion and uncertainty: cystic fibrosis, classification and geneticsAdam M Hedgecoe
Sociology Subject Group, University of Sussex, Falmer, Brighton
Sociol Health Illn 25:50-70. 2003..In addition this paper highlights the uncertainty in the CF classification system that results from the use of genetic explanations...
- Research in medical education: balancing service and scienceMathieu Albert
Wilson Centre for Research in Education, Toronto General Hospital, University of Toronto Faculty of Medicine, 200 Elizabeth Street, Eaton South 1 581, Toronto, ON, M5G 2C4, Canada
Adv Health Sci Educ Theory Pract 12:103-15. 2007..and researchers tend to have limited understanding of both theory and methodological practice from the social sciences. Three factors were identified by the participants to explain the current problems in research: the working ..
- From health research to social research: privacy, methods, approachesLeslie L Roos
Manitoba Centre for Health Policy, Department of Community Health Sciences, Faculty of Medicine, University of Manitoba, 408 727 McDermot Avenue, Winnipeg, MB, Canada R3E 3P5
Soc Sci Med 66:117-29. 2008..Issues of organization of research, gaps in the data, and productivity are discussed...
- Messages from teens on the big screen: smoking, drinking, and drug use in teen-centered filmsSusannah R Stern
University of San Diego, Department of Communication Studies, San Diego, CA 92110, USA
J Health Commun 10:331-46. 2005..g., smoking and drinking). Overall, recent teen-centered films may teach teen viewers that substance use is relatively common, mostly risk-free, and appropriate for anyone...
- From research to policy and backAletha C Huston
Department of Human Ecology, University of Texas at Austin, 1 University Station A2700, Austin, TX 78712 0141, USA
Child Dev 79:1-12. 2008..Developmental scientists can contribute to better science policy and better social policy by strengthening the scientific quality of their evidence and communicating research-based knowledge more effectively...
- Social science research and experimentation in Australian criminal proceedings: prejudicial pre-trial publicity and psychological researchIan Freckelton
Monash University, Australia
J Law Med 9:347-67. 2002....
- Risks and wrongs in social science research. An evaluator's guide to the IRBJ Michael Oakes
Division of Epidemiology, University of Minnesota, 1300 South 2nd Street, Suite 300, Minneapolis, MN 44545 1015, USA
Eval Rev 26:443-79. 2002..A research agenda and tips are offered...
- Retaining the sociology in medical sociologySarah Nettleton
Soc Sci Med 65:2409-12. 2007
- Is gerontology interdisciplinary?Kenneth F Ferraro
J Gerontol B Psychol Sci Soc Sci 62:S2. 2007
- Essential tensions in the journalMary E Northridge
Am J Public Health 94:11-3. 2004
- The WATERS Network: an integrated environmental observatory network for water researchJami L Montgomery
WATERS Network, Project Office, USA
Environ Sci Technol 41:6642-7. 2007
- Integrating social and biological research to improve men's and women's healthChloe E Bird
Womens Health Issues 12:113-5. 2002
- Scientific or social priorities for brain science?--making a differenceRichard E Ashcroft
Biomedical Ethics, Queen Mary, University of London
Nutr Health 19:135-7. 2007..This can involve patient or citizen involvement in research programme design or research funding decision-making...
- Social science. Google's hidden wealthJohn Bohannon
Science 314:915. 2006
- Academic pharmacy administrators' perceptions of core requirements for entry into professional pharmacy programsKimberly Broedel-Zaugg
Raabe College of Pharmacy, Ohio Northern University, USA
Am J Pharm Educ 72:52. 2008..To determine which basic and social science courses academic pharmacy administrators believe should be required for entry into the professional pharmacy program and what they believe should be the required length of preprofessional study...
- Use of social and behavioral sciences by public health departments in major citiesMarybeth Shinn
New York University, New York, New York, USA
J Urban Health 80:616-24. 2003..Behavioral and social sciences were employed most frequently in the areas of HIV/AIDS and maternal and child health and in the service of ..
- [Improving medical education by enhancing behavioural and social science content of medical school curricular (not only in the USA)]Uwe Koch
Psychother Psychosom Med Psychol 54:307. 2004
- Life, death, and biocultural literacyLennard J Davis
Chron High Educ 52:B9-10. 2006
- Are there answers?Louis C Charland
University of Western Ontario, Canada
Am J Bioeth 3:W1-W2. 2003
- Towards disability ethics: a social science perspectiveRhonda Shaw
Foundation for Research on Science and Technology, New Zealand
N Z Bioeth J 4:7-14. 2003In the social sciences, debates about the discursive and material constitution of subjectivity and identity no longer appear to be at loggerheads...
- No need to go! Workplace studies and the resources of the revised National StatementChristopher Cordner
School of Philosophy, University of Melbourne
Monash Bioeth Rev 26:37-48. 2007..obstacles in the practices and attitudes of some Human Research Ethics Committees (HRECs), to research in the social sciences and particulalry in industrial sociology...
- Unintended consequences of human research ethics committees: au revoir workplace studies?Greg J Bamber
Griffith Business School, Griffith University
Monash Bioeth Rev 26:26-36. 2007..This would deserve the support of researchers in industrial sociology and other branches of the social sciences.
- Medical humanities at the University of Wales SwanseaM Evans
Centre for Philosophy and Health Care, School of Health Science, University of Wales, Swansea, UK
Med Humanit 27:51-2. 2001....
- Does the taste matter? Taste and medicinal perceptions associated with five selected herbal drugs among three ethnic groups in West Yorkshire, Northern EnglandAndrea Pieroni
SCH Group, Department of Social Sciences, Wageningen University, Postbus 8060, NL 6700 DA Wageningen, The Netherlands
J Ethnobiol Ethnomed 3:21. 2007..associated with traditional medicines, nevertheless there is still a distinct lack of studies grounded in the social sciences and conducted from a cross-cultural, comparative perspective...
- Occurrence of dispensing errors and efforts to reduce medication errors at the Central Arkansas Veteran's Healthcare SystemPhilip Rolland
Western Arizona Regional Medical Center, Bullhead City, Arizona 86442, USA
Drug Saf 27:271-82. 2004....
- [Development of German child and adolescent psychiatry and the Marburg clinic]Helmut Remschmidt
Klinik für Kinder und Jugendpsychiatrie und psychotherapie der Philipps Universität Marburg
Z Kinder Jugendpsychiatr Psychother 37:379-90; quiz 390-1. 2009..But there are also other roots outside medicine, comprising pedagogics, philosophy, psychology, law and social sciences. During national socialism, child psychiatry took a disastrous development, associated with systematic murder ..
- [Surgical treatment of hyperparathyroidism]E Tarcoveanu
Clinica I Chirurgie, Universitatea de Medicină si Farmacie Gr T Popa Iaşi
Chirurgia (Bucur) 104:531-44. 2009..Hyperparathyroidism (HPT), the result of excessive secretion of the parathormone, is one of the most common endocrine disorders. In most forms of HPT, surgical parathyroidectomy is the best choice...
- European MEDIA Programme: the role of 'language' and 'visual images' in the processes of constructing European culture and identitySenka Bozić-Vrbancić
School of Philosophy, Anthropology and Social Inquiry, University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Australia
Coll Antropol 32:1013-22. 2008..We consider contemporary debates in social sciences and humanities over the concepts of language", "culture" and "identity" as inseparable from each other (Ahmed ..
- The role of topical nasal steroids in the treatment of children with otitis media with effusion and/or adenoid hypertrophyS Cengel
Hacettepe University, Faculty of Medicine, Otorhinolaryngology Head Neck Surgery, 06100 Ankara, Turkey
Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 70:639-45. 2006..Topical steroid treatment can be a powerful alternative to surgery in controlling adenoid hypertrophy and otitis media with effusion (OME)...
- Regression models of ultimate methane yields of fruits and vegetable solid wastes, sorghum and napiergrass on chemical compositionV Nallathambi Gunaseelan
Department of Zoology, PSG College of Arts and Science, Coimbatore 641014, India
Bioresour Technol 98:1270-7. 2007..constituents were generated and evaluated using computer statistical software, Statistical Package for Social Sciences (SPSS)...
- Quantitative analysis of tympanic membrane perforation: a simple and reliable methodT S Ibekwe
Department of Surgery, Division of ENT, Irrua Specialist Teaching Hospital, College of Medicine, Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma, Nigeria
J Laryngol Otol 123:e2. 2009..Accurate assessment of the features of tympanic membrane perforation, especially size, site, duration and aetiology, is important, as it enables optimum management...
- The influence of temperament and character of psychotic individuals on the possibility of committing criminal offencesVesna Sendula Jengić
Department of Forensic Psychiatry, Psychiatric Hospital Rab, Rab, Croatia
Coll Antropol 32:1179-87. 2008..The Statistical package for social sciences (SPSS) especially the chi2 test, t-test, analysis of variances (ANOVA), matrices for intercorrelation and ..
- Eating habits and obesity among Lebanese university studentsNajat Yahia
Natural Science Division, Lebanese American University, Beirut, Lebanon
Nutr J 7:32. 2008..The purpose of this study is to assess the prevalence of overweight and obesity on a sample of students from the Lebanese American University (in Beirut) and to examine their eating habits...
- Spectrum of inherited bleeding disorders in southern Iran, before and after the establishment of comprehensive coagulation laboratoryMehran Karimi
Hematology Research Center, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, Shiraz, Iran
Blood Coagul Fibrinolysis 20:642-5. 2009..Statistical analysis was done using Statistical Package for the Social Sciences version 15. A P value less than 0.05 was considered statistically significant...
- Evidence-based ethics? On evidence-based practice and the "empirical turn" from normative bioethicsMaya J Goldenberg
Department of Philosophy, Michigan State University, 503 South Kedzie Hall, East Lansing, Michigan, USA
BMC Med Ethics 6:E11. 2005....
- [Radiology in managed care environment: opportunities for cost savings in an HMO]C Schmidt
Klinik für Allgemeine Chirurgie und Thoraxchirurgie, der Universität Kiel
Rofo 175:1198-206. 2003..This study describes the potential areas of improvement and managed care techniques that were implemented to reduce costs and reform processes...
- Occupational therapy for patients with problems in personal activities of daily living after stroke: systematic review of randomised trialsLynn Legg
Academic Section of Geriatric Medicine, Glasgow Royal Infirmary University NHS Trust, Glasgow G31 2ER
BMJ 335:922. 2007..To determine whether occupational therapy focused specifically on personal activities of daily living improves recovery for patients after stroke...
- Violence among peoples in the light of human frustration and aggressionBas de Gaay Fortman
Studie en Informatiecentrum Mensenrechten, SIM, Faculty of Law, Universiteit Utrecht, Janskerkhof 3, The Netherlands
Eur J Pharmacol 526:2-8. 2005This article sets out to provide a general background to the study of aggression in the social sciences, with a particular focus on its link to collective violence...
- Gastropathy induced by nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs: prescribing patterns among geriatric practitionersR M Pertusi
Department of Internal Medicine, Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine, University of North Texas Health Science Center, Fort Worth 76107 2699, USA
J Am Osteopath Assoc 99:305-10. 1999..Statistical Package for the Social Sciences (SPSS), version 6.1.4, was used to obtain frequencies. Of 821 surveys, 229 (28%) were returned...
- Factors associated with self-care activities among adults in the United Kingdom: a systematic reviewAngela Ryan
Department of Primary Care and General Practice, The University of Birmingham, Birmingham, UK
BMC Public Health 9:96. 2009..Our aim was to review evidence about who uses self-tests and other self-care activities (over-the-counter medicine, private sector, complementary and alternative medicine (CAM), home blood pressure monitors)...
- Histopathological lesions of apparently normal skin in leprosy patientsHassan A Rashed
Department of Tropical Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Al Azhar University, Cairo, Egypt
J Egypt Soc Parasitol 39:933-42. 2009..SPSS package version (statistical Package for Social Sciences) was used for data analysis...
- Guttman scale analysis of dental health attitudes and knowledgeP E Petersen
Institute for Community Dentistry, Royal Dental College, Copenhagen, Denmark
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 17:170-2. 1989..However, such indexes are seldom evaluated with respect to validity. In the social sciences, complicated and advanced scaling methods are widely used...
- Pharmaceutical interventions for emotionalism after strokeMaree L Hackett
Department of Neurological and Mental Health, The George Institute for International Health, PO Box M201, Missenden Road, Sydney, NSW, Australia, 2050
Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2:CD003690. 2010..Index (1991 to May 2008), BIOSIS Previews (2002 to May 2008), Science Citation Index (1992 to May 2008), Social Sciences Citation Index (1991 to May 2008), Sociological Abstract/Sociofile (1974 to May 2008), ISI Web of Science (..
- Empirical ethics, context-sensitivity, and contextualismAlbert W Musschenga
Vrije Universiteit, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Med Philos 30:467-90. 2005..allocation, and equitable distribution) the literature increasingly combines insights from ethics and the social sciences. Some authors in medical ethics even speak of a new phase in the history of ethics, hailing "empirical ethics"..
- Colonization with Group B streptococci in pregnancy and outcome of infected neonates in TrinidadFitzroy A Orrett
Department of Paraclinical Sciences, Unit of Pathology and Microbiology, Faculty of Medical Sciences, The University of the West Indies, Eric Williams Medical Sciences Complex, Champs Fleurs, Trinidad and Tobago, West Indies
Pediatr Int 45:319-23. 2003..Participants were from the lower socioeconomic group that included representatives from the two major ethnic groups, East Indians and people of African descent...
- Understanding/ Treating Neuropsychiatric Symptoms of Pediatric Physical IllnessEva Szigethy; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- Transforming Women's Health: Discovery, Development, and DeliveryEllen M Daley; Fiscal Year: 2012..researchers, providers and policy experts in public health, medicine, dentistry, nursing, pharmacy and the social sciences. This paradigm shift has been institutionalized at the University of South Florida (USF) by the creation of ..
- Integrating Perioperative Care into the Treatment of HypertensionROBERT SCHONBERGER; Fiscal Year: 2013..on Randomized Behavioral Clinical Trials sponsored by the NHLBI and the NIH Office of Behavioral and Social Sciences Research...
- Caregiver Illness Perception and Childs Early Childhood Caries StatusMary Beth Slusar; Fiscal Year: 2013..Plan I-2 "Increase the Institute's commitment to basic and applied research in the behavioral and social sciences";II-2 "Emphasize the training and career development investment of individuals";II-3 "Welcome new disciplines ..
- The 1200 Patients Project: Studying Clinical Implementation of PharmacogenomicsPETER HUGH O'DONNELL; Fiscal Year: 2013..I have proposed a comprehensive and customized program of courses and workshops for advanced training in the social sciences and in implementation research...
- 2012 Oceans and Human Health Gordon Research Conference and Gordon Research SemiDarrell Jay Grimes; Fiscal Year: 2012..comparative animal physiology, natural products and synthetic organic chemistry, pharmacology, toxicology, social sciences, engineering, natural disasters, climate change and other ocean-related areas...
- Optimizing Maternal-Child Health in KenyaASOK ANTONY; Fiscal Year: 2013..faculty who have expertise and a track record of disciplinary research involving Behavioral &Social Sciences, Pediatrics, Reproductive Health, Adult Medicine, and Nutrition...
- Chiropractic Use Patterns, and Their Antecedents and Consequences in Older AdultsFREDRIC DAVID WOLINSKY; Fiscal Year: 2010..R21 application (submitted in response to PAR 08-213, Methodology and Measurement in the Behavioral and Social Sciences), we propose to examine who uses chiropractic services, the volume and consistency of the chiropractic ..
- First preventive dental visit: Disparities in needs, costs + behavioral insightsPeter C Damiano; Fiscal Year: 2010..This application addresses the broad challenge area: Health Disparities (09);Challenge Topic: Behavioral and Social Sciences to Reduce Oral Health Disparities (09-DE-101)...
- International Partnership for Interdisciplinary Research TrainingOLUFUNMILAYO F OLOPADE; Fiscal Year: 2013..economics, demography, epidemiology, health policy, human genetics, immunology, molecular pathology, and the social sciences,...
- MRI and Neuropsychological Findings in Schizophrenia, ADHD and Healthy ControlsMARTHA ELIZABETH SHENTON; Fiscal Year: 2010..Munir;PI;Fogarty D43 TW005807), is applying for an International Research Collaboration - Behavioral, Social Sciences (FIRCA-BSS) [R03] grant for Dr. Ozgur Oner of Ankara Diskapi Children's Hospital in Turkey. Dr...
- Human capital, health and longevity: explaining the health gradientTITUS JOHANNES GALAMA; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): One of the most striking and well-established findings in the social sciences is the very strong association between education and health...
- Mentoring and Research in Placebo Studies, Asian Medicine, and CAMTed Kaptchuk; Fiscal Year: 2013..scholarship integrates concepts, research designs and analytic methods drawn from the basic, clinical, and social sciences, as well as the humanities...
- Cell phone RDD sampling to reach young adults for tobacco control surveillanceCristine D Delnevo; Fiscal Year: 2013..The proposed research responds to NIH PAR-08-212: Methodology and Measurement in the Behavioral and Social Sciences and describes a plan to improve the inclusion of young adults in tobacco control surveillance and research ..
- Northwestern University-University of Chicago HSR Postdoctoral Training ProgramJANE LOUISE HOLL; Fiscal Year: 2013..The UC Heath Services Research Training Program is a interdisciplinary collaboration between social sciences and the Biological Sciences Division (BSD)...
- Networks and NeighborhoodsNicholas A Christakis; Fiscal Year: 2012..answering such questions using new statistical techniques and using new approaches to causal inference in the social sciences that exploit genetic information. We will focus on pressing problems in health and health care in the U.S...
- Risk Assessment in the Genomic Era: A Qualitative Study of Patients and ProvidersLori Leonard; Fiscal Year: 2010..Leonard and assist her in continuing to contribute to the production of knowledge in the basic behavioral and social sciences. PUBLIC HEALTH RELEVANCE: The proposed research project, part of a mentored training program in human ..
- Mapping "Race" and Inequality: Best Practices forTheorizing and OperationalizingNANCY contact LOPEZ; Fiscal Year: 2010..Although this constructionist approach to race has become dominant in the social sciences in recent decades, researchers have largely failed to grapple with the corresponding implications for ..
- A Study of the Factors Influencing Women's Decision about ChildbirthMARY J REGAN; Fiscal Year: 2010..The first is a projective method commonly used in the social sciences to access knowledge that exists outside of consciousness...
- GO-ing ForwardIsabel C Scarinci; Fiscal Year: 2010..agriculture, and healthcare-as well as academic investigators from disciplines such as clinical and social sciences, health services, law, education, engineering, business and economics, and anthropology;2) As a coalition, ..
- Psychological Stress and Risk of Cardiovascular DiseaseBeth Cohen; Fiscal Year: 2013..Cohen has advisors from cardiology (Dr. Nelson Schiller), internal medicine (Dr. Karen Seal), and the social sciences (Dr. Judith Moskowitz)...
- Inter-American Training for Innovations in Emerging Infectious DiseasesRichard A Oberhelman; Fiscal Year: 2013..consortium effectively integrates the four distinct disciplines of public health, science and engineering, social sciences, and medicine to provide interdisciplinary training in innovative approaches to emerging infectious diseases ..
- Circadian Phase Assessments at HomeHELEN JULIA BURGESS; Fiscal Year: 2013..This application answers PAR-08-212 "Methodology and Measurement in the Behavioral and Social Sciences" which calls for research to "improve and develop methodology and measurement in the behavioral sciences ..
- Facilitating Advancement in the Social SciencesCARRIE L SAETERMOE; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Social and Family Environments and Child Obesity in Diverse NeighborhoodsMay C Wang; Fiscal Year: 2010..teaching, advising and departmental responsibilities to focus on learning theories and methods used in the social sciences, particularly sociology...
- TWINStudy of Environment, Lifestyle Behaviors, and HealthGlen E Duncan; Fiscal Year: 2013..Our scientific approach integrates conceptual models from the behavioral and social sciences with biological, computational, and physical measures in a genetically informative research design...
- Modeling MRSA in the CommunityCHARLES MACAL; Fiscal Year: 2013..This project brings together investigators with unique interdisciplinary expertise: epidemiology, MRSA, social sciences, Bayesian statistics, agent-based modeling, high performance computing, and public health...
- Integrating Social and Systems Science Approaches to Promote Oral Health EquityMARY EVELYN NORTHRIDGE; Fiscal Year: 2013..PAR-11-314 to develop applied projects utilizing systems science methodologies relevant to human behaviors, social sciences, and health...
- STRENGTHEN RESEARCH TRAINING &ADMINISTRATIVE CAPACITY AT RESEARCH CENTERNELSON SANDE KAKANDE; Fiscal Year: 2013..research projects addressing a broad range of research questions mainly in the fields of biomedical and social sciences. In order to respond well to different grants regulations JCRC established a standalone office of research...
- Harvard University Center for AIDS ResearchBruce D Walker; Fiscal Year: 2013..the most significant scientific questions in AIDS in six identified Scientific Programs: Behavioral and Social Sciences, Clinical Epidemiology and Outcomes Research, International, Pathogenesis, Therapeutics, and Vaccines...
- Creating a Virtual Clinician Research ToolGeoffrey C Williams; Fiscal Year: 2010..Interdisciplinary Research via Methodological and Technological Innovation in the Behavioral and Social Sciences." The virtual clinician research tool will interact with research participants with one or more health risk ..
- Behavioral and Social Sciences in Clinical Setting: Team-Based Patient CareRita Charon; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Enacting the Behavioral and Social Sciences in the Clinical Setting: Institution-Wide Teaching of Effective Team-Based Care The College of Physicians and Surgeons of Columbia University and the Weill- ..
- NUTRITION TRAININGPatrick J Stover; Fiscal Year: 2013..to emphasize multidisciplinary and integrative scholarship across the biological, physical, behavioral, and social sciences, as appropriate for individual trainees, and now includes translational training to meet national needs ..
- Partnerships in Health: BASIC Training in MedicinePatrick E McBride; Fiscal Year: 2011..of Wisconsin Medical School (UWMS) proposes an integrated, comprehensive new curriculum in basic and social sciences, the Partnerships in Health: BASIC Training in Medicine project...
- Center for Native Population Health DisparitiesDedra S Buchwald; Fiscal Year: 2013..Clinical, basic, and social sciences are linked with a community-based participatory perspective to provide a transdisciplinary research program ..
- BIOPSYCHOSOCIAL RESEARCH TRAINING IN IMMUNOLOGY AND AIDSNeil Schneiderman; Fiscal Year: 2013..to the training program are: Developmental, Clinical Services, Laboratory Sciences, and Behavioral/Social Sciences and Community Outreach...
- BUILDING INTERDISCIPLINARY RESEARCH CAREER IN WOMEN'S HEALTH (BIRCWH) SCHOLARSGLORIA ELIZABETH SARTO; Fiscal Year: 2013..them with dual scientific mentorship with established investigators in both biomedical and behavioral/social sciences. We believe that integrating biomedical sciences, public health sciences, and socio-cultural and behavioral ..
- Comparative effectiveness in older cancer patients: age versus health statusLINDA KROGH HAROOTYAN; Fiscal Year: 2010..the fields of biological sciences, nursing, medicine, social work, economics, policy, psychology, and other social sciences on a global scale, with individuals coming to the meeting from more than 40 countries...
- Sustaining Faculty Development &Community EngagementDavid Carlisle; Fiscal Year: 2013..and retention of individuals currently underrepresented in the biomedical, clinical, behavioral, and social sciences and community health science through achievement of three specific aims: (1) establish a Minority Health and ..
- MOTS: Modeling Obesity Through SimulationDAVID A contact SHOHAM; Fiscal Year: 2010..problem is not particular to obesity epidemiology;the problems of micro- and macro-structure are common in social sciences. Furthermore, the presence of feedback loops precludes standard approaches to causality, which are based on ..
- Centrally Co-ordinated Bioethics Education for IndiaSanjay M Mehendale; Fiscal Year: 2012..importance to topics relevant to India such as genetics, drug development including traditional medicine and social sciences as also international research ethics...
- Carolinas Conversations: A Multiethnic Digital Corpus of Speech for Older PersonsCharlene Pope; Fiscal Year: 2009..Based on demonstrated archival methods and an informatics portal in the social sciences, this interactive archive will collect, prepare, and enable management and use of digital audio and video ..
- Redesigning and Enhancing Behavioral and Social Science Medical Student CurriculaAlan W Cross; Fiscal Year: 2011..The University of North Carolina School of Medicine has a tradition of excellence in behavioral and social sciences teaching...
- Career Enhancement for Epigenetic Research on Substance Abuse and ComorbiditiesBernice A Pescosolido; Fiscal Year: 2010..and co- occurrence with mental health problems (comorbidity) require scientists from both the biomedical and social sciences to pool their expertise to understand and offer solutions...
- MOTS: Modeling Obesity Through SimulationDavid A Shoham; Fiscal Year: 2013..problem is not particular to obesity epidemiology;the problems of micro- and macro-structure are common in social sciences. Furthermore, the presence of feedback loops precludes standard approaches to causality, which are based on ..
- FIRST: Facilitating Independence in Research through Summer Training in CER Anne L Taylor; Fiscal Year: 2013..will allow them to compete more effectively for external funding in the biomedical, clinical, behavioral, and social sciences. NHLBI and NIH recognize the urgent need to promote diversity in the research workforce...
- NRC: Improving Healthcare for Cognitively Impaired Elders and Their CaregiversLinda Teri; Fiscal Year: 2010..adults at risk for cognitive impairment, and their caregivers through the translation of basic behavioral and social sciences research...
- Data Collection for Older NLSY ChildrenElizabeth C Cooksey; Fiscal Year: 2013..from the full NLSY79 life span has permitted researchers across multiple disciplines in the sciences and social sciences to carry out a range of programmatic and policy- relevant research...
- Combined Undergraduate and Graduate Training ProgramROGER C JENSEN; Fiscal Year: 2013..Humanities and social sciences are distributed throughout the four year curriculum...
- NIAMS MULTIDISCIPLINARY CLINICAL RESEARCH CENTERLeena Sharma; Fiscal Year: 2013..the strength of these relationships and new collaboration development with the Department of Medical Social Sciences and the NU Prosthetics and Orthotics Center...
- RAND Mini-Medical School for Social ScientistsNICOLE A MAESTAS; Fiscal Year: 2013..Traditional training programs in the social sciences-such as economics, psychology, demography, and sociology-often steer clear of biomedical issues...
- Research Infrastructure for the Hopkins Population CenterAndrew J Cherlin; Fiscal Year: 2013..Andrew Cherlin, a former president of the Population Association of America and the current chair of the Social Sciences and Population A Study Section at NIH...
- Partnerships to Promote Healthy Lifestyles for Children and CommunitiesGINGER WIGINGTON CROSS; Fiscal Year: 2013..purpose of this project is to form partnerships between researchers from various disciplines (including the social sciences, nutrition, human sciences, and communications), a health care professional, staff at an interactive children&..
- A TRAINING PROGRAM IN RESEARCH ETHICS IN THE AMERICASRuth Macklin; Fiscal Year: 2013..that takes place at FLACSO (Facultad Latinoamericana de Ciencias Sociales--Latin American University of Social Sciences) in Buenos Aires, Argentina. The co-Principal Directors, Dr. Ruth Macklin and Dr...
- Sleep-Dependent Determinants of Biobehavioral FunctionDavid W Carley; Fiscal Year: 2012..team representing: nursing and sleep sciences;psychological and physiological sciences;biological and social sciences;and mathematics and engineering...
- UMN National Research Service Award in Health Services ResearchBryan E Dowd; Fiscal Year: 2013..Our students then choose one of the following areas of emphasis: Multidisciplinary Social Sciences, Sociology of Health and Illness, Health Decision Science, Health Organization and Management Science, ..
- E-Technology for Chinese Dementia CaregiversHongtu Chen; Fiscal Year: 2010..by applicant): This is an application in response to NOT-OD-10-034 through the NIH Basic Behavior and Social Sciences (b-BSSR) Opportunity Network (OppNet)...
- MD/PhD Program in Medicine, Social Sciences and AgingDavid Meltzer; Fiscal Year: 2009This application seeks support from NIA for an MD/Ph.D. Program in Medicine, the Social Sciences, and Aging at the University of Chicago...
- Fostering an AIDS Research and Training Center Infrastructure in RussiaYuri A Amirkhanian; Fiscal Year: 2011..Prevention efforts carefully grounded in social sciences is especially critical because Russia's HIV epidemic is so closely intertwined with rapidly-changing ..
- Variance Modeling of Smoking-related EMA DataDonald Hedeker; Fiscal Year: 2010..applicant): As noted in Program Announcement # PAR-08-213, Methodology and Measurement in the Behavioral and Social Sciences, there is a need for "developing appropriate analytic techniques for use with new kinds of data and new ..
- Emotional Processes in Families:New Methods Capturing Multiple Levels of AnalysisMelissa L Sturge-Apple; Fiscal Year: 2013..application was developed in response to FOA (PA-08-212: "Methodology and Measurement in the Behavioral and Social Sciences") and is designed to further advance measurement and analytic methods for capturing multiple levels of ..
- Time-pressured decision making in trauma triageDeepika Mohan; Fiscal Year: 2013..of physician decision making in trauma triage that uses the insights and methodology of basic behavioral and social sciences research may allow the identification of additional determinants of non-adherence...
- ETHICAL ISSUES IN INTERNATIONAL HEALTH RESEARCHRichard Cash; Fiscal Year: 2000..University of Natal School of Medicine, Durban, South Africa; and the Achutha Menon Centre for Medical and Social Sciences, of the Sree Chitra Tirunal Institute of Medical Sciences and Technology, Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala, India...
- Online Training for Methadone Maintenance Treatment ProvidersHILARY LIBERTY; Fiscal Year: 2009..1997;Caplehorn et al., 1998). The Training Institute (TI) of Social Sciences Innovations Corp. (SSIC) has been a provider of training to MMT staff for many years...
- UTILITY AND CHOICE OF DENTAL TREATMENTSAmid Ismail; Fiscal Year: 2001..to PA-98-031 that called for research in the field of "Methodology and Measurement in the Behavioral and Social Sciences"...
- Pregnancy Intentions of HIV-Infected Women: Forwarding a Research AgendaSofia Gruskin; Fiscal Year: 2009..existing gaps in research and to develop a multidisciplinary research agenda, spanning the biomedical and social sciences, capable of developing an effective public health response that can deliver a high quality constellation of ..
- HUMAN GENOME WORKSHOP--ETHICS, LAW AND SOCIAL POLICYSherman Elias; Fiscal Year: 1990..bring together twenty two distinguished individuals including experts in the fields of ethnics, law and the social sciences as well as investigators playing key roles in the Human Genome Initiative and related biomedical research...
- Understanding Pregnancy and Women's Health in Two Black Communities in AtlantaMONA PHILLIPS; Fiscal Year: 2007..outcomes, researchers in public health, biomedical sciences, women's studies and other areas of the social sciences and humanities have studied the relationship between psychosocial stressors in African American women's ..
- Human Microbiome Research and the Social FabricRosamond Rhodes; Fiscal Year: 2009..an interdisciplinary team of 27 health professionals, scientists, and scholars from the humanities and social sciences to explore key issues through an intense process of mutual education, group discussion, consensus formation, ..
- MI Mental Health Prevention Research Training ProgramDaphna Oyserman; Fiscal Year: 2006..program for predoctoral trainees in Psychology, Sociology and the Joint Doctoral Program in Social Work and Social Sciences at the University of Michigan...
- New Methods and Software for Spatial-Regression AnalysisDavid Drukker; Fiscal Year: 2006..new opportunities for increasing our understanding of spatial dependencies and interactions in heath and social sciences, it also poses new challenges in that proper statistical inference based on these datasets requires that the ..
- Collaboration with the Vietnamese Academy of Social SciencesBahr Weiss; Fiscal Year: 2010..of a long-term, sustainable collaborative research relationship and program with the Vietnamese Academy of Social Sciences in Hanoi, Vietnam...
- Informed Consent in Developing Country ResearchDaniel Fitzgerald; Fiscal Year: 2004..In addition, Dr Thomas Murray (Hastings Center in Bioethics) and Dr Paul Farmer (Harvard, Social Sciences) will serve as advisors...