Summary: Days commemorating events. Holidays also include vacation periods.
Publications231 found, 100 shown here
- Persistence of nasal colonization with livestock-associated methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in pig farmers after holidays from pig exposureRobin Köck
Institute of Hygiene, University Hospital Munster, Munster, Germany
Appl Environ Microbiol 78:4046-7. 2012..This study analyzed whether an absence from direct contact with pigs during holidays had an impact on nasal MRSA colonization rates of pig farmers...
- Estimating the impact of school closure on influenza transmission from Sentinel dataSimon Cauchemez
MRC Centre for Outbreak Analysis and Modelling, Department of Infectious Diseases Epidemiology, Imperial College London, Norfolk Place, London W2 1PG, UK
Nature 452:750-4. 2008..We show that holidays lead to a 20-29% reduction in the rate at which influenza is transmitted to children, but that they have no ..
- Transmission dynamics, border entry screening, and school holidays during the 2009 influenza A (H1N1) pandemic, ChinaHongjie Yu
Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Beijing, People s Republic of China
Emerg Infect Dis 18:758-66. 2012..2-1.3. The 8 days of national holidays in October reduced the effective reproduction number by 37% (95% credible interval 28%-45%) and increased ..
- The impact of school holidays on the social mixing patterns of school childrenKen T D Eames
Centre for the Mathematical Modelling of Infectious Diseases, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, UK
Epidemics 3:103-8. 2011School holidays are recognised to be of great epidemiological importance for a wide range of infectious diseases; this is postulated to be because the social mixing patterns of school children - a key population group - change ..
- Is mortality after hip fracture associated with surgical delay or admission during weekends and public holidays? A retrospective study of 38,020 patientsCecilie Laubjerg Daugaard
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Bispebjerg Hospital, University of Copenhagen, Copenhagen, Denmark
Acta Orthop 83:609-13. 2012Hip fractures are associated with high mortality, but the cause of this is still not entirely clear. We investigated the effect of surgical delay, weekends, holidays, and time of day admission on mortality in hip fracture patients.
- Safety preparedness of urban community for New Year fireworks in TehranSoheil Saadat
Sina Trauma and Surgery Research Center, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Burns 35:719-22. 2009..Restriction of the use of fireworks and banning firecrackers lacking appropriate insertions on safety instructions are other solutions to be considered...
- Cardiac mortality is higher around Christmas and New Year's than at any other time: the holidays as a risk factor for deathDavid P Phillips
Department of Sociology, University of California San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093 0533, USA
Circulation 110:3781-8. 2004Research published in Circulation has shown that cardiac mortality is highest during December and January. We investigated whether some of this spike could be ascribed to the Christmas/New Year's holidays rather than to climatic factors.
- Christmas and New Year as risk factors for deathDavid Phillips
Sociology, University of California at San Diego, 9500 Gilman Dr, La Jolla, CA 92093 0533, USA
Soc Sci Med 71:1463-71. 2010..locally weighted regression, given the null hypothesis that mortality is affected by seasons and trend but not by holidays. On Christmas and New Year, mortality from natural causes spikes in dead-on-arrival (DOA) and emergency ..
- Mortality among patients admitted to hospitals on weekends as compared with weekdaysC M Bell
Department of Medicine, University of Toronto, Sunnybrook and Women's College Health Sciences Centre, ON, Canada
N Engl J Med 345:663-8. 2001..CONCLUSIONS: Patients with some serious medical conditions are more likely to die in the hospital if they are admitted on a weekend than if they are admitted on a weekday...
- Modeling seasonal influenza outbreak in a closed college campus: impact of pre-season vaccination, in-season vaccination and holidays/breaksKristin L Nichol
Research Service, Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States of America
PLoS ONE 5:e9548. 2010..We conducted the present study to assess the impact of various vaccination strategies including delayed (i.e., in-season) vaccination on influenza outbreaks on a college campus...
- How can obese weight controllers minimize weight gain during the high risk holiday season? By self-monitoring very consistentlyK N Boutelle
Institute of Psychology, Illinois Institute of Technology, Center for Behavioral Medicine, Chicago, USA
Health Psychol 18:364-8. 1999..group self-monitored more consistently and managed their weight better than the comparison group during the holidays. However, both groups struggled with weight management throughout the holidays...
- Changes in mortalities and hospital admissions associated with holidays and respiratory illness: implications for medical servicesW R Keatinge
Queen Mary College, London, UK
J Eval Clin Pract 11:275-81. 2005..To see whether net mortalities increase during and after reductions in medical services, either at average weekends, or at Christmas when pressure from illness is unusually high...
- Food and waterborne infections associated with package holidaysR Y Cartwright
MicroDiagnostics Ltd, Merrow, Guildford, UK
J Appl Microbiol 94:12S-24S. 2003..Package holiday tourism is a growing industry with over 20 million holidays sold every year in the UK...
- The effect of weekends and holidays on stroke outcome in acute stroke unitsYasuhiro Hasegawa
Cerebrovascular Division, Department of Medicine, National Cardiovascular Center, Osaka, Japan
Cerebrovasc Dis 20:325-31. 2005In almost all acute stroke units in Japan, staffing level is lower on weekends and holidays and rehabilitative services are provided only on weekdays...
- Effects of backpacking holidays in Australia on alcohol, tobacco and drug use of UK residentsMark A Bellis
Centre for Public Health, Liverpool John Moores University, Castle House, North Street, Liverpool, L3 2AY, UK
BMC Public Health 7:1. 2007Whilst alcohol and drug use among young people is known to escalate during short holidays and working breaks in international nightlife resorts, little empirical data are available on the impact of longer backpacking holidays on substance ..
- Holidays, birthdays, and postponement of cancer deathDonn C Young
Comprehensive Cancer Center and Center for Biostatistics, The Ohio State University, Columbus 43210, USA
JAMA 292:3012-6. 2004....
- A comparison of patterns of sun protection during beach holidays and everyday outdoor activities in a population sample of young German childrenJ Li
Department of Medical Informatics, Biometry and Epidemiology, Friedrich Alexander University of Erlangen Nuremberg, 91054 Erlangen, Germany
Br J Dermatol 166:803-10. 2012..Little is known about the comparison between these different settings...
- Sexual behaviour among casual workers in an international nightlife resort: a case control studyKaren Hughes
Centre for Public Health, Faculty of Health and Applied Social Sciences, Liverpool John Moores University, Castle House, Liverpool, L3 2AY, UK
BMC Public Health 6:39. 2006..Young holidaymakers report increased sexual risk-taking abroad, yet little is currently known about the sexual behaviour of those who extend time abroad through casual work...
- Seasonality of type 1 diabetes mellitus in children and its modification by weekends and holidays: retrospective observational studyJ A Mooney
Department of Mathematical Sciences, University of Aberdeen, Scotland, UK
Arch Dis Child 89:970-3. 2004..Diagnoses of type 1 insulin dependent diabetes mellitus are generally more common in winter, although this seasonal pattern has not been observed in children of preschool age (0-4 years) or in all countries...
- Epidemiology of pediatric holiday-related injuries presenting to US emergency departmentsAnthony D'Ippolito
Center for Injury Research and Policy, Research Institute at Nationwide Children s Hospital, Columbus, OH 43205, USA
Pediatrics 125:931-7. 2010..The objective of this study was to calculate injury rates and describe the epidemiology of holiday-related injuries among children who were aged < or =19 years and presented to US emergency departments (EDs) from 1997 through 2006...
- Short-term mortality in hip fracture patients admitted during weekends and holidaysN B Foss
Department of Anaesthesia, Hvidovre University Hospital, DK 2650 Copenhagen, Denmark
Br J Anaesth 96:450-4. 2006..We therefore examined early postoperative mortality in hip fracture patients admitted during weekends and holiday periods, compared with normal weekdays...
- Toy gun ocular injuries associated with festive holidays in KuwaitManal Bouhaimed
Department of Community Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Kuwait University, State of Kuwait
Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol 247:463-7. 2009..Prevalence of pediatric ocular trauma associated with toy guns appear to be on the rise, although they are fully preventable. The purpose of this study is to report ocular trauma secondary to toy-gun pellets in Kuwait...
- Clinical analysis of firework-related ocular injuries during Spring Festival 2009Yuan Jing
Department of Ophthalmology, Renmin Hospital of Wuhan University, Jie Fang Road 238, Wuhan, 430072, China
Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol 248:333-8. 2010..To document the clinical features, management and visual outcome of fireworks-related ocular injuries during the Spring Festival...
- Firework-related injuries in Tehran's Persian Wednesday Eve Festival (Chaharshanbe Soori)Hassan Tavakoli
Department of Surgery, Amir Alam Hospital, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
J Emerg Med 40:340-5. 2011..Fireworks are the leading cause of injuries such as burns and amputations during the Persian Wednesday Eve Festival (Chaharshanbeh Soori)...
- The health and economic impact of fireworks-related injuries in Iran: a household survey following the New Year's Festival in TehranSoheil Saadat
Sina Trauma and Surgery Research Center, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Injury 41:e28-33. 2010..The aim of this study was to determine the incidence and risk factors of fireworks-related injuries associated with the Last Wednesday Eve Festival, in Tehran, Iran...
- The Persian Wednesday Eve Festival "Charshanbe-Soori" fireworks eye injuries: a case seriesMohammad Reza Mansouri
Eye Research Center, Farabi Eye Hospital, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Ophthalmic Epidemiol 14:17-24. 2007..To describe the clinical spectrum and severity of eye injuries sustained during the Persian Wednesday Eve Festival "Charshanbe-Soori" and to identify the fireworks devices involved...
- Daytime sleepiness during Ramadan intermittent fasting: polysomnographic and quantitative waking EEG studyRachida Roky
Department of Pharmacology, Faculty of Medicine and Pharmacy, Casablanca, Morocco
J Sleep Res 12:95-101. 2003..Sleep latency was also related to rectal temperature. In conclusion, Ramadan diurnal fasting induced an increase in subjective and objective daytime sleepiness associated with changes in diurnal rectal temperature...
- Mortality spike at New Year but not Christmas in North East EnglandEugene M G Milne
School of Population and Health Sciences, University of Newcastle upon Tyne, England
Eur J Epidemiol 20:849-54. 2005..No disturbance of trend was seen at Easter. The causes of the 'holiday phenomenon' are not understood, but absence of a Christmas spike in NNT may indicate that it is preventable...
- The influence of Ramadan on physical performance measures in young Muslim footballersDonald T Kirkendall
FIFA Medical Assessment and Research Centre, Schulthess Clinic, Zurich, Switzerland
J Sports Sci 26:S15-27. 2008..Based on these data, Ramadan had little effect on objective tests of physical performance in this sample of youth players observing Ramadan...
- Influence of Ramadan fasting on physiological and performance variables in football players: summary of the F-MARC 2006 Ramadan fasting studyYacine Zerguini
Centre d Evaluation et d Expertise en Medecine du Sport, Algiers, Algeria
J Sports Sci 26:S3-6. 2008..Physical performance generally improved, but match performance was not measured. We recommend that players should ensure adequate sleep and good nutrition during Ramadan to preserve football performance and general health...
- Alteration of subjective feelings in football players undertaking their usual training and match schedule during the Ramadan fastJohn B Leiper
School of Sport and Exercise Sciences, Loughborough University, Loughborough, UK
J Sports Sci 26:S55-69. 2008..In the first 2 weeks after Ramadan, the modest changes reported by the fasting players reverted back to their pre-Ramadan values...
- The "Merry Christmas Coronary" and "Happy New Year Heart Attack" phenomenonRobert A Kloner
Circulation 110:3744-5. 2004
- The role of an international nightlife resort in the proliferation of recreational drugsMark A Bellis
Centre for Public Health, Liverpool John Moores University, Liverpool, UK
Addiction 98:1713-21. 2003..It measures changes in substance use at both locations between 1999 and 2002 and examines the role of dance resorts in recruiting individuals into using new substances...
- Sex, sun, sea, and STIs: sexually transmitted infections acquired on holidayK E Rogstad
Department of Genitourinary Medicine, Royal Hallamshire Hospital, Sheffield S10 2JF
BMJ 329:214-7. 2004
- Incidence of acute myocardial infarction during Islamic holiday seasonsMohammad Zubaid
Department of Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Kuwait University, PO Box 24923, 13110 Safat, Kuwait
Eur J Epidemiol 21:191-5. 2006..This finding was confirmed using Locally Weighted Smooth Regression (LOESS) regression models with different smoothing levels. Our finding might have potential implications for preventive health campaigns in Muslim countries...
- Sleep during Ramadan intermittent fastingR Roky
, , Casablanca, Maroc, France
J Sleep Res 10:319-27. 2001....
- Weight control during the holidays: highly consistent self-monitoring as a potentially useful coping mechanismR C Baker
OSF St Francis Medical Center, Peoria, Illinois 61603, USA
Health Psychol 17:367-70. 1998..Only participants in the most consistent self-monitoring quartile averaged any weight loss over the 10 weeks of the study and during the holiday weeks...
- Water and salt balance in young male football players in training during the holy month of RamadanSusan M Shirreffs
School of Sport and Exercise Sciences, Loughborough University, Loughborough, UK
J Sports Sci 26:S47-54. 2008..07). These descriptive data show large individual variations in all measured parameters with relatively little difference in sweat parameters between fasting and non-fasting individuals...
- Sexual behaviour of young people in international tourist resortsM A Bellis
Centre for Public Health, Liverpool John Moores University, Liverpool L3 2AP, UK
Sex Transm Infect 80:43-7. 2004..Additionally, in 2002 we identified levels of homosexual sex and sexual interactions between UK residents and individuals from other countries...
- 'Tis the season for cavity preventionScott Navarro
School Nurse News 23:15-6. 2006
- Relations between violence, calendar events and ambient conditionsVaseekaran Sivarajasingam
Violence Research Group, University of Wales College of Medicine, Heath Park, Cardiff, UK
Injury 35:467-73. 2004..data relating to temperature, rainfall and sunshine hours and data of major local sporting events and annual holidays were studied. Pearson correlation coefficients were used to evaluate associations between variables...
- Where to go for your winter vacationCharles H Calisher
Croat Med J 48:884-7. 2007
- Seasonal variations in the initiation of smoking among adolescentsBrian Colwell
Texas A and M School of Rural Public Health, Department of Social and Behavioral Health, College Station, TX 77843 1266, USA
Nicotine Tob Res 8:239-43. 2006..Unsupervised time out of school during the first months of summer vacation is a period of increased danger for smoking initiation. The significantly lower rates during September seem to be related to the beginning of school...
- Vacations: helping families travel safelyBobbie Crew Nelms
J Pediatr Health Care 20:155-7. 2006
- Childhood burns in Israel: a 7-year epidemiological reviewSharon Goldman
Israel National Center for Trauma and Emergency Medicine Research, Gertner Institute for Epidemiology and Health Policy Research, Sheba Medical Center, Tel Hashomer 52621, Israel
Burns 32:467-72. 2006..The objective of this study was to develop a profile of severe childhood burns in Israel...
- Anatomy of a world cruiseE Dahl
Crystal Cruises, Los Angeles, California, USA
J Travel Med 6:168-71. 1999..CONCLUSIONS: To be a doctor or nurse on a large cruise ship during a long sea voyage is no vacation. The medical staff should expect a varied general practice with a higher consultation frequency rate than shoreside, even higher in crew..
- Hand injuries during a Muslim Sacrifice FestivalLevent Avsarogullari
Am J Emerg Med 22:508-9. 2004
- Relationship between summer vacation weight gain and lack of success in a pediatric weight control programLinda Gillis
Children s Exercise and Nutrition Centre, Evel 4, Room 464A, Chedoke Division, HHS, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada L8N 3Z5
Eat Behav 6:137-43. 2005The purpose was to measure the effect of holidays or season on changes in body weight to determine if this was the reason for the low success rate of weight control program participants...
- Temporal factors in motor vehicle crash deathsC M Farmer
Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, Arlington, Virginia, USA
Inj Prev 11:18-23. 2005..To summarize fatal motor vehicle crash deaths in the United States by time of day, day of week, month, and season, and to determine why some days of the year tend to experience a relatively high number of deaths...
- Circadian pattern of ambulance use for children in a Japanese cityKenji Ohshige
Department of Public Health, Yokohama City University Graduate School of Medicine, Yokohama, Japan
Acad Emerg Med 11:316-8. 2004..This study aimed at verifying periodic fluctuation in ambulance use for children in Yokohama, Japan, and determining whether the periodic pattern differs between holidays and ordinary days.
- Sun exposure and number of nevi in 5- to 6-year-old European childrenMadeleine Dulon
Department of Epidemiology and Medical Statistics, School of Public Health, University of Bielefeld, University Street 25, Germany
J Clin Epidemiol 55:1075-81. 2002..with a reported history of increased sun exposure, for example, painful sunburns, and an increased number of holidays in foreign countries with a sunny climate had significantly higher nevus counts than individuals without these ..
- Inner city maxillofacial fractures due to road traffic accidentsA O Fasola
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, College of Medicine, University College Hospital, PMB 5116, Ibadan, Nigeria
Dent Traumatol 19:2-5. 2003..Therefore, there is a need to stress the importance of common restraint devices and good road habits during these 'high risk' periods to reduce the incidence of maxillofacial fractures due to the road traffic accidents...
- Family support: a summer holiday programme for Maltese childrenTheresa Naudi
Malta Hospice Movement, Board Member and Volunteer Social Worker, 35, Good Shepherd Avenue, Balzan, BZN 16, Malta
Palliat Med 16:159-61. 2002
- Review of 1 year's activity in the Grampian travel clinic: the importance of the oil industryJoan C D Burnett
Diabetic Clinic, Woolmanhill, Aberdeen, UK
J Travel Med 12:122-6. 2005..A review of the activities of the Grampian travel clinic was carried out over 1 year to obtain an overall perspective of the clinic workload and to determine how much of the workload was dependent on the oil industry...
- Mortality displacement of heat-related deaths: a comparison of Delhi, São Paulo, and LondonShakoor Hajat
London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, United Kingdom
Epidemiology 16:613-20. 2005..We compare the extent to which short-term mortality displacement can explain heat deaths in Delhi, São Paulo, and London given contrasting demographic and health profiles...
- Sun, sea and sex? Sexual behaviour of people on holiday in TenerifeElizabeth Batalla-Duran
Fam Pract 20:493-4. 2003
- Weekend eating in the United States is linked with greater energy, fat, and alcohol intakePamela S Haines
Department of Nutrition, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC 27516, USA
Obes Res 11:945-9. 2003..To determine if macronutrient consumption for the U.S. population is greater on weekend days than weekdays...
- [Are holidays always safe: immigrants and hepatitis A]A Bertone
Minerva Pediatr 57:51. 2005
- College spring break and alcohol use: effects of spring break activityEmily R Grekin
Department of Psychology, Wayne State University, 5057 Woodward Avenue, 7th Floor, Detroit, Michigan 48202, USA
J Stud Alcohol Drugs 68:681-8. 2007..and selection (i.e., whether heavy drinkers are more likely to vacation with friends) on the spring break/alcohol consumption relationship...
- [Health care services during summer--a dilemma?]Caroline Nordenvall
Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm
Lakartidningen 101:290-2. 2004
- Exposure to the sun and sunbeds and the risk of cutaneous melanoma in the UK: a case-control studyV Bataille
Genetic Epidemiology and Twin Research Unit, St Thomas Hospital, Lambeth Palace Road, London SE1 7EH, UK
Eur J Cancer 40:429-35. 2004..However, it is possible that the mean lag time of 7 years between exposure to sunbed and melanoma in this study may have led to an under-estimation of the long-term melanoma risk...
- Return visits to a pediatric emergency departmentEvaline A Alessandrini
Division of Pediatric Emergency Medicine, Children s Hospital of Philadelphia, Department of Pediatrics, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Pediatr Emerg Care 20:166-71. 2004..To determine the incidence of return visits (RVs), types of RVs, and factors associated with RVs to a pediatric emergency department (ED)...
- Population exposure to ultraviolet radiation in Finland 1920-1995: Exposure trends and a time-series analysis of exposure and cutaneous melanoma incidenceKatja Kojo
STUK Radiation and Nuclear Safety Authority, 00881 Helsinki, Finland
Environ Res 101:123-31. 2006..Information on the number of sunny resort holidays, duration of annual holidays, and sunscreen sales were obtained from various sources...
- Sunbathing intentions in Irish people travelling to Mediterranean summer holiday destinationsD L Manning
Action Cancer, Marlborough Park, Belfast, Northern Ireland, UK
Eur J Cancer Prev 11:159-63. 2002....
- The Muslim festival of Eid ul-Fitr at L'Arche Daybreak: a pattern and principles for common worship services in solidarity with those not of the majority faithB Porter
Interfaith Committee, L'Arche Daybreak, 11339 Yonge Street, Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada L4S 1L1
J Pastoral Care 55:197-200. 2001....
- The effect of sun exposure in determining nevus density in UK adolescent twinsRachel C Wachsmuth
Genetic Epidemiology Division, Cancer Research UK, St James s University Hospital, Leeds, UK
J Invest Dermatol 124:56-62. 2005..Of the 25% of variation attributable to environmental influences, one-third is estimated to be because of sun exposure on hot holidays.
- Moving mountainsHelena Ventham
Emergency Department, Southampton General Hospital
Emerg Nurse 13:20-5. 2005
- [Pre-travel prophylactic measures]Peter Hartmann
MMW Fortschr Med 149:25-7. 2007..In last-minute travelers, some vaccinations may still usefully be given - even up to the day of departure. Whether malaria prophylaxis is required for the planned country of destination should be checked against current recommendations...
- Awareness of swimming pool suction injury among tour operatorsA Davison
Dept of Paediatrics and Child Health, University of Leeds, The Children s Centre, The General Infirmary at Leeds, UK
Arch Dis Child 88:584-6. 2003..A survey of travel agents revealed a low awareness of this potentially devastating hazard, and a failure on the part of some companies to take adequate responsibility for customer safety. Preventive measures are reviewed...
- Causes of admission to intensive care units in the Hajj period of the Islamic year 1424 (2004)Tariq A Madani
Department of Medicine, King Abdulaziz University, Jeddah 21589, Saudi Arabia
Ann Saudi Med 27:101-5. 2007..We describe the pattern of diseases, complications, and outcome of pilgrims who required admission to intensive care units (ICUs) during the Hajj period of the Islamic year 1424 (2004)...
- Children affected by domestic abuse while abroad on holidayFiona Day
Leeds PCT, Leeds, UK
Arch Dis Child 93:362-3. 2008
- A potent cocktailKaren Hughes
Centre for Public Health, Liverpool John Moores University
Nurs Stand 18:14-6. 2004
- Managing cancer: the role of holiday takingPhilippa Hunter-Jones
Department of Hospitality and Tourism Management, Manchester Metropolitan University, Manchester, United Kingdom
J Travel Med 10:170-6. 2003..The primary objective of this paper is to consider whether holiday taking may have a role to play post-diagnosis/treatment, within the rehabilitation process for cancer patients...
- Accessibility to air travel correlates strongly with increasing melanoma incidenceYolanda Z Agredano
Department of Dermatology, Stanford University Medical Center, Stanford, California, USA
Melanoma Res 16:77-81. 2006....
- Effect of a holiday service reduction period on a hospital's emergency department access blockJames Thomas
Emergency Department, The Children s Hospital at Westmead, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Emerg Med Australas 19:136-42. 2007..To study the effect of holiday service reductions, consisting of bed and theatre closures, in a tertiary paediatric hospital on various measures of ED occupancy, including access block...
- The use of out of hours health services: a cross sectional surveyC Brogan
Anglia and Oxford Regional Office NHS Executive, Milton Keynes
BMJ 316:524-7. 1998..CONCLUSIONS: New models such as multidisciplinary primary care centres with telephone advice lines and triaging are required to ensure high quality, cost effective care that is responsive to the needs of both consumers and professionals...
- Who accompanies children to a dental hospital appointment?P K Virdee
Dept Paediatric Dentistry, Charles Clifford Dental Hospital, Sheffield, England, UK
Eur Arch Paediatr Dent 8:95-8. 2007..To determine who accompanies paediatric dental patients to their appointments, in a teaching hospital setting...
- An Easter outbreak of Salmonella Typhimurium DT 104A associated with traditional pork salami in ItalyI Luzzi
Department of Infectious, Parasitic and Immunological Diseases, Istituto Superiore di Sanita, Rome, Italy
Euro Surveill 12:E11-2. 2007..Moreover, our study shows the usefulness of integrated human and animal surveillance in tracing the possible source of infection...
- Do Ramadan fasting restrictions alter eating behaviours?Atila Erol
Osmangazi Universitesi Tip Fakultesi, Psikiyatri A D, Eskisehir, Turkey
Eur Eat Disord Rev 16:297-301. 2008..According to our results Ramadan fasting restrictions do not seem to change the eating behaviours of young girls and boys...
- Firework injuries presenting to a national burn's unitD Jones
Dept of Plastic Surgery, St James Hospital, Dublin
Ir Med J 97:244-5. 2004..Our public awareness campaign has failed to reach its target audience, and the illegal traders who sell these often inferior products are seldom charged. Children and adults will continue to sustain serious injuries as a result...
- Analysis of wax burn cases presenting to an Emergency Department in Hong Kong during the Chinese Mid-Autumn festivalMichael Man kit Tam
Department of Accident and Emergency, Prince of Wales Hospital, 30 32 Ngan Shing Street, Shatin, New Territories, Hong Kong
Burns 29:359-62. 2003..9%) required in-patient treatment. Most burns caused by or related to boiling wax were minor. The declining incidence is the combined result of legislation, product modification, education and publicity...
- Childhood respiratory infections and hospital admissions for COPDT E McManus
Department of Respiratory Medicine, Mater Hospital, Belfast BT14 6AB, UK
Respir Med 100:512-8. 2006..We wished to determine if respiratory viral infection of children in the community was associated with hospital admissions of patients with exacerbations of COPD...
- Single-session expectancy challenge with young heavy drinkers on holidayJade van de Luitgaarden
Maastricht University, Faculty of Health Sciences, Department of Medical Sociology, P O Box 616, 6200 MD, Maastricht, The Netherlands
Addict Behav 32:2865-78. 2007..These findings suggest that further research on the mechanisms of change is necessary before a single-session EC may be used in a real-life prevention setting...
- From the laboratory to real life: a pilot study of an expectancy challenge with "heavy drinking" young people on holidayJade van de Luitgaarden
Department of Medical Sociology, Faculty of Health Sciences, Maastricht University, 6200 MD Maastricht, The Netherlands
Subst Use Misuse 41:353-68. 2006..No effect was found on alcohol use. In conclusion, implementation must be improved and more studies are needed to come to more definite conclusions about the value of the EC in a real-life targeted intervention...
- Relationship between the occurrence of spontaneous intracerebral hemorrhage and holidays and traditionally unlucky days in Fukuyama City, Hiroshima Prefecture, JapanHiroshi Nakaguchi
Department of Neurosurgery, Teikyo University Chiba Medical Center, Teraoka Memorial Hospital, Ichihara, Japan
J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis 16:194-8. 2007..Memorial Hospital (164 patients), against various calendrical factors such as the day of the week, national holidays, and RokuYo (a recurring six-day series of lucky and unlucky days in the Japanese traditional calendar) over the ..
- The practice of pilgrimage in palliative care: a case study of LourdesAlison Kate Lillie
School of Health Science, University of Birmingham, 52 Pritchatts Road, Edgbaston, Birmingham B15 2TT, UK
Int J Palliat Nurs 11:234-9. 2005..To understand why healthcare professionals working in palliative care felt that pilgrimage to Lourdes could be a beneficial activity for the terminally ill...
- Infection of Brindley sacral anterior root stimulator by Pseudomonas aeruginosa requiring removal of the implant: long-term deleterious effects on bowel and urinary bladder function in a spinal cord injury patient with tetraplegia: a case reportSubramanian Vaidyanathan
Spinal Injuries Unit, District General Hospital, Town Lane, Southport PR8 6PN, UK
Cases J 2:9364. 2009..The consequences of failed implantation were severe constipation, and loss of reflex penile erection and bladder emptying...
- Radiotherapy for oncologic emergencies on weekends: examining reasons for treatment and patterns of practice at a Canadian cancer centreG Mitera
Departments of Radiation Therapy and Radiation Oncology, Odette Cancer Centre, Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON
Curr Oncol 16:55-60. 2009..tumour hemorrhage -may require treatment outside of hospital hours, particularly on weekends and hospital holidays. To date, there remains no consensus among radiation oncologists regarding the indications and appropriateness of ..
- Sustaining the rural primary healthcare workforce: survey of healthcare professionals in the Scottish HighlandsHelen M Richards
Centre for Rural Health, Aberdeen University, Beechwood Park, Inverness, Scotland
Rural Remote Health 5:365. 2005....
- Verification of caries inhibition by a tartar control toothpasteJason M Tanzer
Department of Oral Diagnosis, School of Dental Medicine, Department of Laboratory Medicine, School of Medicine, University of Connecticut Health Center, Farmington, CT, USA
J Clin Dent 14:74-6. 2003....
- Introduction and evaluation of a newly established holiday work system in the pharmacy ward at Municipal Ikeda HospitalMichiaki Myotoku
Department of Pharmacy, Municipal Ikeda Hospital, Ikeda City, Japan
Yakugaku Zasshi 126:1003-10. 2006..This system was aimed at minimizing risks related to injections. Initially, however, on holidays, nurses played the roles of pharmacists in terms of the injections, and there were concerns over a possible rise ..
- Community emergency psychiatric service in Israel: a one-year experienceRazek Khawaled
Mental Health Services, Ministry of Health, Jerusalem, Israel
Isr J Psychiatry Relat Sci 46:207-12. 2009..The purpose was to offer community-based emergency response to acute psychiatric conditions during after-hours periods, including Saturdays and holidays. The project was implemented in the Tel Aviv, Central and Southern districts.
- Treatment of urinary tract infections among febrile young children with daily intravenous antibiotic therapy at a day treatment centerMarie Gauthier
Department of Pediatrics, Hopital Sainte Justine, 3175 Cote Sainte Catherine, Montreal, Canada H3T 1C5
Pediatrics 114:e469-76. 2004..We aimed to describe the feasibility and complications of outpatient management with IV antibiotics of UTI among febrile children, at the day treatment center (DTC) of a tertiary-care pediatric hospital...
- [Edema and the tropics]B R Holzer
Facharzt für Allgemeine Medizin FMH und Tropen und Reisemedizin FMH, Mittlere Strasse 3, CH 3600 Thun
Ther Umsch 61:671-8. 2004..The trend to book adventure and trekking holidays at high altitude leads to high altitude peripheral edema or non-freezing cold injuries such as frostbites and ..
- Significance of blood pressure self-measurement as compared with office blood pressure measurement and ambulatory 24-hour blood pressure measurement in pharmacological studiesThomas Mengden
Department of Internal Medicine, University Clinic, Bonn, Germany
Blood Press Monit 8:169-72. 2003..Owing to the white-coat effect, variable compliance and drug holidays and their effects on the efficacy of antihypertensive medication are not detected by office blood pressure ..
- Occupational styrene exposure, colour vision and contrast sensitivity: a cohort study with repeated measurementsAndreas Seeber
Institute of Occupational Physiology, University of Dortmund, Dortmund, Germany
Int Arch Occup Environ Health 82:757-70. 2009..impaired contrast sensitivity to reproduce in a new study approach, (2) if such effects exist, are they related to current or chronic exposures and (3) if effects exist, are there reductions in the effects during an exposure-free period?..
- Efficacy of fortification of school meals with ferrous glycine phosphate and riboflavin against anemia and angular stomatitis in schoolchildrenMalavika Vinodkumar
Sundar Serendipity Foundation, Chennai, India
Food Nutr Bull 30:260-4. 2009..We conducted a study to test the efficacy of ferrous glycine phosphate in reducing anemia and of riboflavin in reducing angular stomatitis when these micronutrients were added to the noon meal for schoolchildren...
- A second generation climate index for tourism (CIT): specification and verificationC R de Freitas
School of Geography, Geology and Environmental Science, The University of Auckland, PB 92019 Auckland, New Zealand
Int J Biometeorol 52:399-407. 2008..resource for activities that are highly climate/weather sensitive, specifically, beach "sun, sea and sand" (3S) holidays. CIT integrates thermal (T), aesthetic (A) and physical (P) facets of weather, which are combined in a weather ..
- Effect of a ban on carrying firearms on homicide rates in 2 Colombian citiesA Villaveces
Department of Epidemiology, School of Public Health and Community Medicine, and the Harborview Injury Prevention and Research Center, University of Washington, Seattle, USA
JAMA 283:1205-9. 2000..Homicide is a leading cause of death in Colombia, with much of the fatal interpersonal violence concentrated in the country's largest cities. Firearms are involved in as much as 80% of homicides in Colombia...
- Overseas sun exposure, nevus counts, and premature skin aging in young English women: a population-based surveyIsabel Dos Santos Silva
Department of Epidemiology and Population Health, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London, UK
J Invest Dermatol 129:50-9. 2009..001), particularly for holidays taken at ages 18-29 years and for counts of the trunk and lower limbs...
- Study of psychological stress, sebum production and acne vulgaris in adolescentsGil Yosipovitch
Department of Dermatology, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston Salem, North Carolina 27157, USA
Acta Derm Venereol 87:135-9. 2007..During a high stress condition (prior to mid-year examinations) and a low stress condition (during the summer holidays), the following were evaluated: (i) self-reported stress level using the Perceived Stress Scale; (ii) sebum level ..
- Activity-dependent phosphorylation of MeCP2DANIEL HIGGINS EBERT; Fiscal Year: 2013..in Psychiatry at Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School where I work one-quarter of weekends and holidays on the Psychiatric Consultation Service under the leadership of Theodore Stern, M.D...
- Bone Turnover Effects on Bisphosphonate Concentration in the MandibleKenneth M Kozloff; Fiscal Year: 2012..of bisphosphonate through increased delivery or high retention, and will generate data suggesting whether drug holidays are effective, or can be boosted through relevant strategies designed to clear local bisphosphonate concentration...
- Clinical Trial of Ceftriaxone in Subjects with ALSMerit E Cudkowicz; Fiscal Year: 2012..At the 4 gram dosage, levels remained above the target level long enough to permit drug holidays if clinically indicated. Both dosages met the prespecified tolerability criterion...
- Regular and Off-Shift Nursing: Impacts on Patient Outcomes and Cost of CareCiaran S Phibbs; Fiscal Year: 2013..24-hour, 7-day a week service and there is evidence that patients admitted on off-shifts (nights, weekends, and holidays) have worse outcomes...
- Cognitive functions of multisensory cortical mapsMARTIN IRENAEUS SERENO; Fiscal Year: 2013..tasks involving metaphorical ego or object movements in ordinary sentences such as, "We are coming up on the holidays" or "Thanksgiving is approaching"...
- A Novel Approach to Stimulant-Induced Weight Suppression and its Impact on GrowthJAMES GAIER WAXMONSKY; Fiscal Year: 2013..While drug holidays and caloric supplementation are two common treatments for SIGS, there has been little systematic investigation of ..
- Examining Tolerance to CNS Stimulants in ADDJames M Swanson; Fiscal Year: 2013..a) individual differences in the development of tolerance over sustained treatment, and (b) if weekend drug holidays mitigate the need for dose increases...
- Off-Shift Nursing and Quality Patient OutcomesPAMELA DE CORDOVA; Fiscal Year: 2009..However, little is known about how best to staff nursing care units on off-shifts (i.e., nights, weekends, and holidays)...
- Rheumatoid Arthritis Induction Trial (RAITMAT)Larry Moreland; Fiscal Year: 2007..The anti-TNF free holidays may also minimize serious adverse events, such as infections...
- ADHERENCE TO ANTIHYPERTENSIVE THERAPY:DATA ANALYSESPeter Choo; Fiscal Year: 2000..those factors that (1) are predictably associated with fluctuations in adherence (such as day of the week, holidays, medical appointments), (2) ameliorate the impact of nonadherence such as pharmacologic properties of drugs that ..
- SYNTHESIS OF CONGENERS & PRODRUGS OF ANTI-AIDS COMPOUNDSWayne Anderson; Fiscal Year: 1990..repository accessible during regular business hours and emergency service on weekends and official government holidays. The contractor is responsible for receiving shipments of investigational drugs for use in clinical trials, from ..
- MANAGEMENT OF EXCESSIVE DAYTIME SLEEPINESS IN NARCOLEPSYAnn Rogers; Fiscal Year: 2001..medications, and that they are not satisfied by with treatment regimes that require daytime naps and/or drug holidays. Differences between responders and non-responders and the bases for those differences are unknown...
- Weekend Effect and the July Phenomenon in Patient SafetyJoel Weissman; Fiscal Year: 2003..situation where the discrepancy between patient needs and care provided may be accentuated is during weekends and holidays, when reduced hospital resources may lead to reduced capacity for patient care...
- A Randomized Trial to Evaluate Project ARMTraci Toomey; Fiscal Year: 2004..Two secondary goals of the study are to assess the promise of ARM Express for influencing establishment policies and decreasing alcohol-related problems and to evaluate differences between participating and non-participating outlets. ..
- Assessing Density of Alcohol Outlets, Other Outlets and CrimeTraci L Toomey; Fiscal Year: 2010..Results from this study will advance the research literature and inform policy and neighborhood development. ..
- MECHANISMS OF RENAL TUBULAR EPITHELIAL CELL INJURYSudhir Shah; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Subcortical Hyperintensities in Sleep Apnea SyndromeMark Aloia; Fiscal Year: 2007..We expect to analyze data on approximately 1,120 participants based on our preliminary studies with this data set. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- DOT and Prevention for HIV(+) Persons Leaving PrisonJennifer Mitty; Fiscal Year: 2008..Acceptability and feasibility of the intervention will be evaluated, as well as efficacy of the intervention on plasma viral load suppression and self-reported HIV-risk behaviors during the first 6 months post release. ..
- Resistance and Response Mechanisms to Prostate Cancer TherapyTOMASZ BEER; Fiscal Year: 2009..We will test the effectiveness of novel treatments that exploit newly discovered targets in the laboratory and lay the foundation for human trials to develop effective prostate cancer treatment. ..
- Positive Age Stereotypes Across the LifeSpanBecca R Levy; Fiscal Year: 2010..Further, we are able to reduce the originally proposed start-up time, because a portion of the data management was undertaken for the preliminary study. ..
- A Novel Vitamin D Target in Human Prostate CancerTOMASZ BEER; Fiscal Year: 2007..New treatment targets are needed to develop new drugs to treat prostate cancer, the most commonly diagnosed cancer and the second-leading cancer killer in US men. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Alcohol Expectancies: Mediators of Biopsychosocial RiskMark Goldman; Fiscal Year: 2007..As a byproduct of these primary goals, the most detailed database yet available on the parameters of alcohol consumption in this critical young-adult life-stage will be obtained. ..
- BioSense Initiative to Improve Early Outbreak DetectionHoward Burkom; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Oregon Prostate Cancer Conference 2001TOMASZ BEER; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- Role of IGF-1 In Diastolic Dysfunction of AgingLeanne Groban; Fiscal Year: 2003..This study will provide the groundwork for future studies examining how IGF-1 signaling may modulate the programming and gene expression of the senescent myocardium. ..
- Acupuncture for hot flashes in prostate cancer patientsTOMASZ BEER; Fiscal Year: 2004..The overall goal is to provide prostate cancer patients an effective, low toxicity, non-pharmacologic treatment modality for hot flashes. ..
- COLLABORATIVE R01-CARDIAC GRAFTS-FUNCTIONAL ANALYSESRobert Kloner; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- Biologic Ventricular Assist DeviceRobert Kloner; Fiscal Year: 2004..Identification and characterization of transplants will be carried out with PCR analysis of the Y chromosome (male cells into female host), detailed histologic analysis and immunostaining for muscle cell markers. ..
- Pharmacotherapy for Minor DepressionRobert Howland; Fiscal Year: 2004..The results of this study will have profound public health implications by improving our understanding of the efficacy of SJW and standard antidepressants for the treatment of MinorD. ..
- THE INFLUENCE OF AGING SELF-STEREOTYPES ON HEALTHBecca Levy; Fiscal Year: 2005..Together, these studies offer an excellent training opportunity and the possibility of identifying a new risk factor for disability and mortality that could be targeted by a psychosocial intervention. ..
- Mesenchymal Stem Cells for Myocardial InfarctionRobert Kloner; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Long Term Recovery Among Convicted Drunk DriversSandra Lapham; Fiscal Year: 2008....
- Depression: The Search for Treatment-Relevant PhenotypesEllen Frank; Fiscal Year: 2009..Signal detection analysis will be used to determine which combination of spectrum assessment scores and other clinical variables describe the profile of patients likely to stabilize or relapse with each of the treatments. ..
- LIFE COURSE, MENTAL HEALTH AND LATER DEVELOPMENTGeorge Vaillant; Fiscal Year: 2007..Parallel data (including daily diary data) will be collected on husbands and wives. ..
- Tobacco Prevention/Cessation Education: Medical StudentsAlan Geller; Fiscal Year: 2006..modules, plans for integration, and faculty training Aim3 - Conduct trial implementation Aim4 - Conduct a comprehensive, formative, process and impact evaluation Aim5 - Disseminate teaching guides to other medical schools ..
- ALCOHOL EXPECTANCY CHALLENGE AS A PREVENTION STRATEGYMark Goldman; Fiscal Year: 2005..Results will provide a foundation for large scale trials to prevent alcohol misuse in college students, and possibly for the extension of these methods to other risk groups. ..
- Feasibility of Measuring Sleep in a Critical Care EnvironmentMargaret A Pisani; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Testing explicit theoretical models of drinking/drivingSandra Lapham; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- PREDICTING VACCINE STATUS & ED USE IN MEDICAID NEWBORNSEvaline Alessandrini; Fiscal Year: 2004..The broad goals of the research project are to delineate factors that place poor children at risk for inadequate primary care health services and to identify these children so that effective interventions may be made. ..
- A Novel Therapy for Depression with Co-Occurring PanicEllen Frank; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- RANDOMIZED SANCTIONS TO REDUCE DRUNK DRIVING RECIDIVISMSandra Lapham; Fiscal Year: 2004..Finally, the process will be evaluated to monitor the interventions and to enable replication of the protocol in other jurisdictions. ..