Genomes and Genes
Summary: Sensitivity or attachment to religious values, or to things of the spirit as opposed to material or worldly interests. (from Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary, 10th ed, and Oxford English Dictionary, 2nd ed)
Publications387 found, 100 shown here
- Improving the quality of spiritual care as a dimension of palliative care: the report of the Consensus ConferenceChristina Puchalski
George Washington Institute for Spirituality and Health, The George Washington University, Washington, D C, USA
J Palliat Med 12:885-904. 2009..This document and the conference recommendations it includes builds upon prior literature, the National Consensus Project Guidelines, and the National Quality Forum Preferred Practices and Conference proceedings...
- Spirituality and well-being in cancer patients: a reviewAnja Visser
Helen Dowling Institute, Centre for Psycho Oncology, Ultrecht, The Netherlands
Psychooncology 19:565-72. 2010..It has been shown that cancer patients use their spirituality to cope with these experiences...
- Religiousness and spiritual support among advanced cancer patients and associations with end-of-life treatment preferences and quality of lifeTracy A Balboni
Harvard Radiation Oncology Program, Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Boston, MA, USA
J Clin Oncol 25:555-60. 2007Religion and spirituality play a role in coping with illness for many cancer patients...
- Support of cancer patients' spiritual needs and associations with medical care costs at the end of lifeTracy Balboni
Center for Psycho Oncology and Palliative Care Research, Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Cancer 117:5383-91. 2011..Although spiritual care is associated with less aggressive medical care at the end of life (EOL), it remains infrequent. It is unclear if the omission of spiritual care impacts EOL costs...
- Cancer as part of the journey: the role of spirituality in the decision to decline conventional prostate cancer treatment and to use complementary and alternative medicineMargaret White
Integr Cancer Ther 5:117-22. 2006The role of spirituality in patients' use of complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) approaches to cancer management has hardly been explored...
- Spirituality, distress, depression, anxiety, and quality of life in patients with advanced cancerA Kandasamy
Department of Psychiatry, National Institute of Mental Health and Neuro Sciences, Bangalore, Karnataka 560 029, India
Indian J Cancer 48:55-9. 2011..To study the influence of spiritual well being (Sp WB) on symptoms of distress, depression, and other dimensions of quality of life in advanced cancer patients receiving palliative care...
- Spiritual expression and immune status in women with metastatic breast cancer: an exploratory studyS E Sephton
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, University of Louisville School of Medicine, Kentucky 40202, USA
Breast J 7:345-53. 2001This exploratory study examined relationships between spirituality and immune function in 112 women with metastatic breast cancer...
- Existential well-being and spirituality of individuals with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis is related to psychological well-being of their caregiversFrancesco Pagnini
Department of Psychology, Catholic University of Milan, Italy
Amyotroph Lateral Scler 12:105-8. 2011Existential well-being (EWB) and spirituality issues are important factors in determining quality of life (QoL) in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) patients...
- Religiousness affects mental health, pain and quality of life in older people in an outpatient rehabilitation settingGiancarlo Lucchetti
São Paulo Medical Spiritist Association, Brazil and Service of Geriatrics, Santa Casa of Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
J Rehabil Med 43:316-22. 2011..To evaluate the relationship between religiousness and mental health, hospitalization, pain, disability and quality of life in older adults from an outpatient rehabilitation setting in Sao Paulo, Brazil...
- Changes in spirituality partly explain health-related quality of life outcomes after Mindfulness-Based Stress ReductionJeffrey M Greeson
Duke Integrative Medicine, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
J Behav Med 34:508-18. 2011..Thus, spirituality may partly explain Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction outcomes...
- Do preparation and life completion discussions improve functioning and quality of life in seriously ill patients? Pilot randomized control trialKaren E Steinhauser
Center for Health Services Research in Primary Care, Durham VA Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27705, USA
J Palliat Med 11:1234-40. 2008..Significant palliative care intervention has focused on physical pain and symptom control; yet less empirical evidence supports efforts to address the psychosocial and spiritual dimensions of experience...
- The association between spiritual and religious involvement and depressive symptoms in a Canadian populationMarilyn Baetz
Department of Psychiatry, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
J Nerv Ment Dis 192:818-22. 2004..It is evident that spirituality/religion has an important effect on depressive symptoms, but this study underscores the complexity of this ..
- Spirituality as a positive youth development construct: conceptual bases and implications for curriculum developmentPatrick S Y Lau
Department of Educational Psychology, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shatin, Hong Kong
Int J Adolesc Med Health 18:363-70. 2006This paper outlines the conceptual bases of 'spirituality' as a positive youth development construct and the implications for curriculum development in junior secondary schools...
- Religious coping methods as predictors of psychological, physical and spiritual outcomes among medically ill elderly patients: a two-year longitudinal studyKenneth I Pargament
Department of Psychology, Bowling Green State University, Ohio 43403, USA
J Health Psychol 9:713-30. 2004..g. punishing God reappraisal, interpersonal religious discontent) were predictive of declines in health. Patients who continue to struggle with religious issues over time may be particularly at risk for health-related problems...
- Effect of spiritual well-being on end-of-life despair in terminally-ill cancer patientsColleen S McClain
Fordham University, Bronx, NY 10458, USA
Lancet 361:1603-7. 2003The importance of spirituality in coping with a terminal illness is becoming increasingly recognised. We aimed to assess the relation between spiritual well-being, depression, and end-of-life despair in terminally-ill cancer patients.
- Religion and spirituality. Linkages to physical healthLynda H Powell
Department of Preventive Medicine, Rush Presbyterian St Luke s Medical Center, Suite 470, 1700 West Van Buren Street, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Am Psychol 58:36-52. 2003Evidence is presented that bears on 9 hypotheses about the link between religion or spirituality and mortality, morbidity, disability, or recovery from illness...
- Spirituality and religion in patients with HIV/AIDSSian Cotton
Health Services Research and Development, VA Medical Center, Cincinnati, OH, USA
J Gen Intern Med 21:S5-13. 2006b>Spirituality and religion are often central issues for patients dealing with chronic illness...
- Spirituality, sense of coherence, and coping responses in women receiving treatment for alcohol and drug addictionSandra Arevalo
Institute on Urban Health Research, Bouve College of Health Sciences, Northeastern University, 360 Huntington Avenue, Stearns Suite 503, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Eval Program Plann 31:113-23. 2008To examine the role of spirituality, sense of coherence, and coping responses in relation to stress and trauma symptoms among women in substance abuse treatment.
- Effect of gender, age, and relevant course work on attitudes toward empathy, patient spirituality, and physician wellnessLisabeth F DiLalla
Teach Learn Med 16:165-70. 2004..The emphasis in medical education on viewing the patient as a whole person addresses current concerns about the negative impact of standard physician training that may lead to impaired patient-physician relationships...
- Religiosity/spirituality and pain in patients with sickle cell diseaseM Ojinga Harrison
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27705, USA
J Nerv Ment Dis 193:250-7. 2005Religion/spirituality has been identified by individuals with sickle cell disease (SCD) as an important factor in coping with stress and in determining quality of life...
- A critical view of spirituality and spiritual assessmentPeter Draper
J Adv Nurs 39:1-2. 2002
- Instruments measuring spirituality in clinical research: a systematic reviewStéfanie Monod
Service of Geriatric Medicine and Geriatric Rehabilitation, University of Lausanne Medical Center, CUTR Sylvana chemin de Sylvana 10, 1066, Epalinges, Switzerland
J Gen Intern Med 26:1345-57. 2011Numerous instruments have been developed to assess spirituality and measure its association with health outcomes...
- A non-randomized comparison of mindfulness-based stress reduction and healing arts programs for facilitating post-traumatic growth and spirituality in cancer outpatientsSheila N Garland
Department of Psychology, University of Calgary, 2500 University Drive NW, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Support Care Cancer 15:949-61. 2007..mindfulness-based stress reduction (MBSR) program and a healing through the creative arts (HA) program on measures of post-traumatic growth (PTGI-R), spirituality (FACIT-Sp), stress (SOSI), and mood disturbance (POMS) in cancer patients.
- A systematic review of associations among religiosity/spirituality and adolescent health attitudes and behaviorsLynn Rew
School of Nursing, University of Texas at Austin, Austin, Texas, USA
J Adolesc Health 38:433-42. 2006To systematically review and synthesize literature concerning the relationships among religiosity, spirituality, health attitudes, and health behaviors in adolescents.
- Spirituality, religion, and clinical careDaniel P Sulmasy
The John J Conley Department of Ethics, Saint Vincent s Hospital Manhattan, 153 W 11th St, New York, NY 10011, USA
Chest 135:1634-42. 2009Interest in the relationship between spirituality, religion, and clinical care has increased in the last 15 years, but clinicians need more concrete guidance about this topic...
- The assessment of spirituality and religiousness in schizophreniaSylvia Mohr
Division of Adult Psychiatry, University Hospital of Geneva, Geneva, Switzerland
J Nerv Ment Dis 195:247-53. 2007..The high prevalence of spirituality and religious coping clearly indicates the necessity of addressing spirituality in patient care...
- Current status of teaching on spirituality in UK medical schoolsDavid Neely
Department of Medicine, Queen s University, Belfast, UK
Med Educ 42:176-82. 2008To investigate the current status of teaching on spirituality in medicine in UK medical schools and to establish if and how medical schools are preparing future doctors to identify patients' spiritual needs.
- Spirituality: concept analysis and model developmentHarleah G Buck
College of Nursing, University of South Florida, Tampa, FL 33612, USA
Holist Nurs Pract 20:288-92. 2006The concept of spirituality has gained increasing attention over the last decade, as evidenced by the number of conceptual and empirical articles published...
- Spirituality, religion, and health. An emerging research fieldWilliam R Miller
Department of Psychology, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, NM 87131 1161, USA
Am Psychol 58:24-35. 2003..epidemiological evidence linking religiousness to morbidity and mortality, possible biological pathways linking spirituality/religiousness to health, and advances in the assessment of spiritual/religious variables in research and ..
- Religion, spirituality, and health in medically ill hospitalized older patientsHarold G Koenig
Department of Psychiatry, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
J Am Geriatr Soc 52:554-62. 2004To examine the effect of religion and spirituality on social support, psychological functioning, and physical health in medically ill hospitalized older adults.
- A path model of the effects of spirituality on depressive symptoms and 24-h urinary-free cortisol in HIV-positive personsAdam W Carrico
Department of Psychology, University of Miami, Coral Gables, FL 33146, USA
J Psychosom Res 61:51-8. 2006The present investigation examined the associations among spirituality, positive reappraisal coping, and benefit finding as they relate to depressive symptoms and 24-h urinary-free-cortisol output.
- Spirituality, religion and health: evidence and research directionsDavid R Williams
Department of Society, Human Development and Health, Harvard University, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Med J Aust 186:S47-50. 2007Levels of spirituality and religious beliefs and behaviour are relatively high in Australia, although lower than those in the United States...
- Concerns about measuring "spirituality" in researchHarold G Koenig
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Duke University Medical Center, Geriatric Research, Education and Clinical Center, VA Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
J Nerv Ment Dis 196:349-55. 2008b>Spirituality is increasingly being examined as a construct related to mental and physical health. The definition of spirituality, however, has been changing...
- Discussing spirituality with patients: a rational and ethical approachGary McCord
Department of Family Medicine, Northeastern Ohio Universities College of Medicine, Rootstown, Ohio 44272, USA
Ann Fam Med 2:356-61. 2004This study was undertaken to determine when patients feel that physician inquiry about spirituality or religious beliefs is appropriate, reasons why they want their physicians to know about their spiritual beliefs, and what they want ..
- Religion, spirituality, and medicine: psychiatrists' and other physicians' differing observations, interpretations, and clinical approachesFarr A Curlin
Department of Medicine, University of Chicago, 5841 South Maryland Avenue, Chicago, IL 60637, USA
Am J Psychiatry 164:1825-31. 2007This study compared the ways in which psychiatrists and nonpsychiatrists interpret the relationship between religion/spirituality and health and address religion/spirituality issues in the clinical encounter.
- Longitudinal relationships of religious worship attendance and spirituality with major depression, anxiety disorders, and suicidal ideation and attempts: findings from the Baltimore epidemiologic catchment area studyDaniel Rasic
Department of Psychiatry, Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
J Psychiatr Res 45:848-54. 2011..These results suggest that religious attendance is possibly an independent protective factor against suicide attempts...
- Spirituality, social support, and survival in hemodialysis patientsJoann Spinale
Department of Medicine, George Washington University, Washington, DC 20037, USA
Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 3:1620-7. 2008No studies have evaluated the relationship among spirituality, social support, and survival in patients with ESRD...
- Religiosity/spirituality and health. A critical review of the evidence for biological pathwaysTeresa E Seeman
Division of Geriatrics, University of California, Los Angeles, School of Medicine, 10945 Le Conte Ave, Suite 2339, Los Angeles, CA 90095 1687, USA
Am Psychol 58:53-63. 2003The authors review evidence regarding the biological processes that may link religiosity/spirituality to health...
- Spirituality in medical school curricula: findings from a national surveyHarold G Koenig
Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
Int J Psychiatry Med 40:391-8. 2010No systematic information exists on what U.S. medical schools are teaching on spirituality and health or on the attitudes of faculty toward inclusion of this subject in the medical curriculum. We systematically surveyed U.S...
- Pastoral care, spirituality, and religion in palliative care journalsMaaike A Hermsen
Researcher in Palliative Care Ethics, University Medical Centre Nijmegen, Department of Ethics, Philosophy and History of Medicine, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Am J Hosp Palliat Care 21:353-6. 2004With the growth and development of palliative care, interest in pastoral care, spirituality, and religion also seems to be growing...
- Reliability and validity of the Functional Assessment of Chronic Illness Therapy-Spiritual (FACIT-Sp) for Japanese patients with cancerWataru Noguchi
Section of Liaison Psychiatry and Palliative Medicine, Graduate School of Tokyo Medical and Dental University, 1 5 45 Yushima, Bunkyo ku, 113 8519 Tokyo, Japan
Support Care Cancer 12:240-5. 2004..This scale was developed in the United States to assess quality of life (QOL) in relation to spirituality. Two surveys were conducted on each of 306 cancer patients...
- Religion, spirituality and cancer: current status and methodological challengesMichael Stefanek
Behavioral Research Program, Division of Cancer Control and Population Sciences, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Department of Health and Human Services, Bethesda, MD 20852, USA
Psychooncology 14:450-63. 2005The role of religion and spirituality in health has received increasing attention in the scientific and lay literature...
- Sense of coherence, spirituality, stress and quality of life in chronic illnessCheryl Delgado
School of Nursing, Cleveland State University, Cleveland, OH 44115, USA
J Nurs Scholarsh 39:229-34. 2007To investigate the relationship between sense of coherence and spirituality and their association with perceptions of stress, and quality of life.
- A thematic review of the spirituality literature within palliative careShane Sinclair
Foothills Medical Centre, Calgary, University of Calgary, Canada
J Palliat Med 9:464-79. 2006Research related to spirituality and health has developed from relative obscurity to a thriving field of study over the last 20 years both within palliative care and within health care in general...
- A systematic review of religion and spirituality in three palliative care journals, 1990-1999Kevin J Flannelly
HealthCare Chaplaincy, New York, New York, USA
J Palliat Care 20:50-6. 2004
- A 3-factor model for the FACIT-SpAndrea L Canada
Department of Behavioral Sciences, Rush University Medical Center, Chicago, IL 60612 3833, USA Andrea L
Psychooncology 17:908-16. 2008..Because Meaning suggests a cognitive aspect of R/S and Peace an affective component, we hypothesized a 3-factor solution: Meaning, Peace, and Faith...
- The influence of spiritual beliefs and practices on the treatment preferences of African Americans: a review of the literatureKimberly S Johnson
Department of Medicine, Division of Geriatrics, Duke University Medical Center, DUMC Box 3003, Durham, NC 27710, USA
J Am Geriatr Soc 53:711-9. 2005b>Spirituality is an important part of African-American culture and is often cited as an explanation for the more-aggressive treatment preferences of some African Americans at the end of life...
- Spirituality as a core domain in the assessment of quality of life in oncologyHayley S Whitford
Royal Adelaide Hospital Cancer Centre, Adelaide, SA, Australia
Psychooncology 17:1121-8. 2008..This study investigated including spiritual wellbeing as a core domain in the assessment of quality of life (QOL) in an Australian oncology population...
- The relationship between spirituality, purpose in life, and well-being in HIV-positive personsKathleen M Litwinczuk
Veteran s Administration
J Assoc Nurses AIDS Care 18:13-22. 2007Research has shown that spirituality has a positive effect on mental and physical health; however, few studies have explored the influence of spirituality on purpose in life and well-being in persons living with HIV...
- The religiosity/spirituality of Latina breast cancer survivors and influence on health-related quality of lifeKimberly A Wildes
Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Institute for Health Promotion Research, The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, TX 78230, USA
Psychooncology 18:831-40. 2009The study evaluated the association of religiosity/spirituality (R/S) and health-related quality of life (HRQOL) among Latina breast cancer survivors (BCS) in order to determine whether R/S would be positively correlated with HRQOL and ..
- A biopsychosocial-spiritual model for the care of patients at the end of lifeDaniel P Sulmasy
The Bioethics Institute of New York Medical College and The John J Conley Department of Ethics, Saint Vincent s Manhattan, New York, NY 10011, USA
Gerontologist 42:24-33. 2002..This article presents a model for research and practice that expands on the biopsychosocial model to include the spiritual concerns of patients...
- Is failure to meet spiritual needs associated with cancer patients' perceptions of quality of care and their satisfaction with care?Alan B Astrow
Maimonides Medical Center, Brooklyn, NY, USA
J Clin Oncol 25:5753-7. 2007Few studies regarding patients' views about spirituality and health care have included patients with cancer who reside in the urban, northeastern United States...
- Rowe and Kahn's model of successful aging revisited: positive spirituality--the forgotten factorMartha R Crowther
Department of Psychology, The University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, 35487 0348, USA
Gerontologist 42:613-20. 2002We explain a new concept, positive spirituality, and offer evidence that links positive spirituality with health; describe effective partnerships between health professionals and religious communities; and summarize the information as a ..
- Negotiating cross-cultural issues at the end of life: "You got to go where he lives"M Kagawa-Singer
Commuity Health Sciences, University of California, Los Angeles School of Public Health and Asian American Studies, Los Angeles, CA, USA
JAMA 286:2993-3001. 2001..Skilled use of cross-cultural understanding and communication techniques increases the likelihood that both the process and outcomes of care are satisfactory for all involved...
- Spirituality and medicine: curricula in medical educationChristina M Puchalski
The George Washington Institute for Spirituality and Health, George Washington University School of Public Health, George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences, Washington, DC 20037, USA
J Cancer Educ 21:14-8. 2006
- Trauma, change in strength of religious faith, and mental health service use among veterans treated for PTSDAlan Fontana
Northeast Program Evaluation Center, VA National Center for PTSD, New Haven, CT, USA
J Nerv Ment Dis 192:579-84. 2004..This possibility raises the broader issue of whether spirituality should be more central to the treatment of PTSD, either in the form of a greater role for pastoral counseling ..
- Is a biopsychosocial-spiritual approach relevant to cancer treatment? A study of patients and oncology staff members on issues of complementary medicine and spiritualityEran Ben-Arye
The Complementary and Traditional Medicine Unit, Department of Family Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Technion Israel Institute of Technology, Haifa, Israel
Support Care Cancer 14:147-52. 2006..Complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) is increasingly being used by patients with cancer...
- The link between religion and spirituality and psychological adjustment: the mediating role of optimism and social supportJohn M Salsman
Department of Behavioral Science, University of Kentucky, KY 40536, USA
Pers Soc Psychol Bull 31:522-35. 2005Although optimism, social support, religiousness, and spirituality are important predictors of adjustment, rarely have studies examined these variables simultaneously...
- Dispositional predictors of placebo responding: a motivational interpretation of flower essence and gratitude therapyMichael E Hyland
School of Psychology, University of Plymouth, PL48AA Plymouth, United Kingdom
J Psychosom Res 62:331-40. 2007..The motivational concordance interpretation is that therapeutic rituals that are consistent with self-defining or self-actualizing goals have a nonspecific therapeutic benefit independently of expectancy...
- Promoting advance directives among African Americans: a faith-based modelKaren Bullock
School of Social Work, University of Connecticut, West Hartford, Connecticut 06117, and The Braceland Center for Mental Health and Aging, Institute of Living, Hartford Hospital, Hartford, Connecticut, USA
J Palliat Med 9:183-95. 2006..Studies show that African Americans are less likely than other ethnic groups to complete advance directives. However, what influences African Americans' decisions to complete or not complete advance directives is unclear...
- Ethnicity and spirituality in breast cancer survivorsEllen G Levine
Biobehavioral Research Center, San Francisco State University, 1600 Holloway Ave PP750, San Francisco, CA 94132, USA
J Cancer Surviv 1:212-25. 2007Many women are incorporating spirituality as a way of coping with cancer. However, few studies have examined the role of spirituality in mood and quality of life among breast cancer survivors from different ethnic groups.
- Religious coping and use of intensive life-prolonging care near death in patients with advanced cancerAndrea C Phelps
Department of Medicine, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
JAMA 301:1140-7. 2009..Patients frequently rely on religious faith to cope with cancer, but little is known about the associations between religious coping and the use of intensive life-prolonging care at the end of life...
- Religion, spirituality, and psychosisAdair Menezes
Federal University of Juiz de Fora UFJF School of Medicine, Research Center in Spirituality and Health at UFJF, Rua da Laguna 485 104, Juiz de Fora, MG 36015 230, Brazil
Curr Psychiatry Rep 12:174-9. 2010This review discusses the relationships between religion, spirituality, and psychosis...
- Spirituality, quality of life and the dialysis patientFredric O Finkelstein
Nephrol Dial Transplant 22:2432-4. 2007
- Support for spirituality in smoking cessation: results of pilot surveyDavid Gonzales
OHSU Smoking Cessation Center, Division of Pulmonary and Critical Medicine, Department of Medicine, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, OR 97239 3098, USA
Nicotine Tob Res 9:299-303. 2007..4). Our data are consistent with overall beliefs in the United States about spirituality and recent trends to include spirituality in health care...
- Spirituality and psychological well-being: testing a theory of family interdependence among family caregivers and their eldersSuk Sun Kim
Center for Spirituality, Theology and Health, Duke University, Durham, North Carolina, USA
Res Nurs Health 34:103-15. 2011The family spirituality-psychological well-being model was developed and tested to explore how spirituality influences psychological well-being among elders and caregivers in the context of Korean family caregiving...
- Spirituality and religion in recovery: some current issuesRoger D Fallot
Community Connections, Washington, DC 20003, USA
Psychiatr Rehabil J 30:261-70. 2007This paper addresses current perspectives on the roles of spirituality and religion in recovery from serious mental health problems...
- Spirituality and quality of life in HIV-positive personsLinda Pennington Grimsley
Department of Nursing, College of Health Professions, Albany State University, Albany, Georgia, USA
J Cult Divers 13:113-8. 2006With the amount of turmoil in the world today and often in our personal lives as well, spirituality has become a major focus for many people...
- Physicians' observations and interpretations of the influence of religion and spirituality on healthFarr A Curlin
Section of General Internal Medicine, Department of Medicine, and MacLean Center for Clinical Medical Ethics, The University of Chicago, 5841 S Maryland Avenue, Chicago, IL 60637, USA
Arch Intern Med 167:649-54. 2007..a substantial body of empirical data, professional disagreement persists regarding whether and how religion and spirituality (hereinafter "R/S" and treated as a single concept) influences health...
- The spiritual dimension of cancer careAntonella Surbone
Department of Medicine, Medical Oncology Division, New York University Medical School, New York, NY 10016, USA
Crit Rev Oncol Hematol 73:228-35. 2010b>Spirituality is more about constant questioning than about providing fixed or final answers...
- Identifying mediators of the relationship between religiousness/spirituality and alcohol useThomas J Johnson
Department of Psychology, Indiana State University, Terre Haute, Indiana 47809, USA
J Stud Alcohol Drugs 69:160-70. 2008..We examined beliefs about alcohol, social influences, well-being, and motives for drinking as potential mediators of the relationship between religiousness/spirituality and alcohol use and problems.
- The measurement of spirituality in palliative care and the content of tools validated cross-culturally: a systematic reviewLucy Selman
Department of Palliative Care, Policy and Rehabilitation, King s College London, London, United Kingdom
J Pain Symptom Manage 41:728-53. 2011..In addition, measures of spirituality have been criticized in the literature for cultural bias, and it is unclear which tools have been validated ..
- Evolution of spirituality and religiousness in chronic schizophrenia or schizo-affective disorders: a 3-years follow-up studySylvia Mohr
Division of Adult Psychiatry, University Hospital of Geneva and University of Geneva, Rue du 31 Décembre 36, 1207, Geneva, Switzerland
Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol 45:1095-103. 2010b>Spirituality and religiousness have been shown to be highly prevalent in patients with schizophrenia. Religion can help instil a positive sense of self, decrease the impact of symptoms and provide social contacts...
- The stage-specific role of spirituality among African American Christian women throughout the breast cancer experienceCassandra E Simon
University of Alabama, School of Social Work, Tuscaloosa, AL 35487, USA
Cultur Divers Ethnic Minor Psychol 13:26-34. 2007..results of semistructured interviews conducted with 18 African American Christian women regarding the role of spirituality throughout their breast cancer experiences...
- The role of religion/spirituality for cancer patients and their caregiversAndrew J Weaver
HealthCare Chaplaincy, New York, NY, USA
South Med J 97:1210-4. 2004Research has shown that religiosity and spirituality significantly contribute to psychosocial adjustment to cancer and its treatments...
- Medical student beliefs: spirituality's relationship to health and place in the medical school curriculumThomas P Guck
Creighton University School of Medicine, Omaha, NE 68102, USA
Med Teach 28:702-7. 2006The relationship between spirituality and health is receiving increased attention; consequently medical schools have begun asking how and in what manner these issues should be addressed in medical education...
- One-week Short-Term Life Review interview can improve spiritual well-being of terminally ill cancer patientsMichiyo Ando
Faculty of Nursing, St Mary s College, Kurume, Fukuoda, Japan
Psychooncology 17:885-90. 2008..The primary aim of this study was to assess the efficacy of the Short-Term Life Review on the spiritual well-being, as well as anxiety, depression, suffering, and happiness of terminally ill cancer patients...
- Spirituality and health: an exploratory study of hospital patients' perspectivesJulieanne Hilbers
Diversity Health, Prince of Wales Hospital, McNevin Dickson Bldg, Avoca Street, Randwick, NSW 2031, Australia
Aust Health Rev 34:3-10. 2010The relationship between spirituality/religion and health is receiving increasing academic interest, but few studies have explored the experience of Australians...
- Conceptualising spirituality for medical research and health service provisionMichael B King
Department of Mental Health Sciences, University College London Medical School, Royal Free Campus, Rowland Hill Street, London, UK
BMC Health Serv Res 9:116. 2009The need to take account of spirituality in research and health services provision is assuming ever greater importance. However the field has long been hampered by a lack of conceptual clarity about the nature of spirituality itself...
- Spirituality in African American and Caucasian women with end-stage renal disease on hemodialysis treatmentRuth A Tanyi
Preventitive Care Program, Loma Linda University, Loma Linda, California, USA
Health Care Women Int 28:141-54. 2007..These findings have multidisciplinary implications for factors that may mitigate the illeffects of ESRD...
- "Are you at peace?": one item to probe spiritual concerns at the end of lifeKaren E Steinhauser
Centers for Palliative Care, Veterans Affairs Medical Center, and Department of Medicine, Division of Geriatrics, School of Nursing, Center for the Study of Aging and Human Development, Duke University, Durham, NC 27705, USA
Arch Intern Med 166:101-5. 2006..Yet, patients' spirituality often influences treatment choices during a course of serious illness...
- Religiosity, spirituality, and marital relationships of parents raising a typically developing child or a child with a disabilityJessica A Parker
Brigham Young University, Provo, UT, USA
J Fam Nurs 17:82-104. 2011In order to discover if differences or relationships exist between religiosity, spirituality, and marital relationships, 111 parents raising a child with a disability (CWD) and 34 parents raising typically developing children ..
- Mediational models of spirituality and depressive symptomatology among HIV-positive Puerto Rican womenJane M Simoni
Department of Psychology, University of Washington, Box 351525, Seattle, Washington 98195 1525, USA
Cultur Divers Ethnic Minor Psychol 9:3-15. 2003..As predicted, spirituality was high and negatively associated with CES-D scores...
- Voice of the psychonauts: coping, life purpose, and spirituality in psychedelic drug usersLevente Moro
Centre for Cognitive Neuroscience, University of Turku, Finland
J Psychoactive Drugs 43:188-98. 2011..Coping, life purpose, and spirituality were measured with the Psychological Immune Competence Inventory, the Purpose in Life test, and the Intrinsic ..
- Spirituality, well-being, and quality of life in people with rheumatoid arthritisSusan J Bartlett
Johns Hopkins AAC, 5501 Hopkins Bayview Circle, Suite 1B 15, Baltimore, MD 21224, USA
Arthritis Rheum 49:778-83. 2003To evaluate spirituality, well-being, and quality of life (QOL) among people with rheumatoid arthritis (RA).
- Primary care physician preferences regarding spiritual behavior in medical practiceMichael H Monroe
Department of Internal Medicine, Carolinas Medical Center, Charlotte, NC 28203, USA
Arch Intern Med 163:2751-6. 2003Knowledge of physician attitudes and preferences regarding religion and spirituality in the medical encounter is limited by the nonspecific questions asked in previous studies and by the omission of specialties other than family practice...
- The experience of spirituality in the psycho-social adaptation of cancer survivorsAndre Samson
Faculty of Education, University of Ottawa, PO Box 450, Station A, Ottawa, Ontario, KIN 6N5
J Pastoral Care Counsel 57:329-43. 2003This article presents the results of a retrospective, phenomenological study of the experience of spirituality in the psychosocial adaptation of cancer survivors...
- Perspectives on spiritual care at Hospice Africa UgandaSachin S Kale
University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, 1462 Princeton Court Allentown, Pennsylvania 18104, USA
Int J Palliat Nurs 17:177-82. 2011..To examine how spiritual care is perceived in an African context by recording the lived experiences of palliative care workers at Hospice Africa Uganda (HAU)...
- Widowhood and spirituality: coping responses to bereavementScott T Michael
The University of Alabama, Department of Psychology, Box 870348, Tuscaloosa, AL 35487 0348, USA
J Women Aging 15:145-65; discussion 185-7. 2003..aims: (a) to discuss the impact of widowhood on the lives of older women and (b) to discuss how religion and spirituality may be used as coping methods for conjugal loss...
- Inner resources as predictors of psychological well-being in middle-income african american breast cancer survivorsLynette M Richardson Gibson
College of Health, Education, and Human Development, Clemson University School of Nursing, SC 29634 0743, USA
Cancer Control 10:52-9. 2003..Health professionals should consider strategies to enhance sense of coherence and hope when caring for African American breast cancer survivors. Qualitative research is indicated to further explore spirituality in this population.
- Knowledge and attitudes of nursing professors and students concerning the interface between spirituality, religiosity and healthClaudia de Souza Tomasso
Universidade Nove de Julho, Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
Rev Lat Am Enfermagem 19:1205-13. 2011..study compares the knowledge and attitudes of nursing professors and students concerning the interface between spirituality, religiosity and health. A cross-sectional study was conducted with 30 nursing professors and 118 students...
- An assessment of US physicians' training in religion, spirituality, and medicineKenneth A Rasinski
Department of Medicine, The University of Chicago, USA
Med Teach 33:944-5. 2011..Discussing religion or spirituality with patients was associated with having received training through a book or CME literature or during Grand ..
- Spirituality: do teachers and students hold the same opinion?Luciana Burgugi Banin
Lusiadas University, Santos, Brazil
Clin Teach 10:3-8. 2013Few studies have investigated potential differences between the opinions of educators and undergraduates regarding spirituality in patient care. Understanding these differences, could lead to better strategies for educational proposes.
- Convergent/Divergent validity of the brief multidimensional measure of religiousness/spirituality: empirical support for emotional connectedness as a "spiritual" constructBrick Johnstone
Department of Health Psychology, University of Missouri, Columbia, MO 65212, USA
J Relig Health 51:529-41. 2012..is to determine the convergent/divergent validity of the Brief Multidimensional Measure of Religiousness/Spirituality (BMMRS; Fetzer Institute & National Institute on Aging Working Group 1999) subscales by correlating it with ..
- Mediators of the relationship between religiousness/spirituality and alcohol problems in an adult community sampleMichelle L Drerup
Department of Psychology, Indiana State University, Terre Haute, Indiana 47809, USA
Addict Behav 36:1317-20. 2011..Religious struggle may be a clinically significant correlate of alcohol problems...
- Migraines and meditation: does spirituality matter?Amy B Wachholtz
Department of Psychiatry, University of Mass Medical Center, Worcester, MA 01655, USA
J Behav Med 31:351-66. 2008....
- Meaning, spirituality, and wellness in cancer survivorsMary L S Vachon
Department of Psychiatry, University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada
Semin Oncol Nurs 24:218-25. 2008To explore the concepts of meaning, spirituality, and wellness in cancer survivors.
- Reconsidering spirituality and medicineNeil Scheurich
Department of Psychiatry, University of Kentucky College of Medicine, Lexington 40509 1810, USA
Acad Med 78:356-60. 2003Increasing awareness of possible links between religion and health has led to greater attention to spirituality and medicine in medical education; both trends have culminated in vigorous debate about the place of spirituality and related ..
- Spirituality in medical education: global reality?Giancarlo Lucchetti
São Paulo Medical Spiritist Association, Av Juriti 367, Moema, Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
J Relig Health 51:3-19. 2012We aim to evaluate studies dealing with the incorporation of spirituality in medical education and to list the most scientific productive countries in this field. A bibliographical review was carried out...
- Spirituality and the International Classification of Functioning, Disability and Health: content comparison of questionnaires measuring mindfulness based on the International Classification of FunctioningMartin Offenbächer
Human Science Center, Generation Research Program, University of Munich, Prof Max Lange Platz 11, Bad Tölz, Germany
Disabil Rehabil 33:2434-45. 2011..To identify and compare the concepts contained in questionnaires measuring mindfulness using the International Classification of Functioning (ICF) as external reference...
- Efficacy-mediated effects of spirituality and physical activity on quality of life: a path analysisJames F Konopack
Department of Kinesiology and Community Health, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, Urbana, IL, USA
Health Qual Life Outcomes 10:57. 2012..In the same vein, spirituality may be a salient quality of life determinant for many individuals.
- DYING, DEATH, AND GRIEF--INTERNET PROJECTSara Knight; Fiscal Year: 2002..the user to the program; 2) four core modules on palliative care (palliative care; culture, religion, and spirituality; psychology of death, dying, and grief; ethical and legal considerations in end-of-life decisions); 3) a ..
- The Living Well Project: Early Palliative Care and MI for persons with AIDSTammie E Quest; Fiscal Year: 2013..ii) Better psychosocial outcomes: Better coping skills, higher perceived social support, higher spirituality, higher levels of self-advocacy, lower proportion who report substance use...
- Psychological Effects of Spiritually Integrated Therapy for Infertile WomenSHIQUINA L ANDREWS; Fiscal Year: 2012..While projects investigating the role of spirituality in mental health are growing in momentum, none has combined psychological intervention with infertile women&..
- STI/HIV Prevention: Sexual milieu of African American Collage StudentsNAOMI M HALL-BYERS; Fiscal Year: 2012..by perceived vulnerability and social norms, and moderated by varying levels of perceived self- efficacy, spirituality/religiosity, and sensation-seeking. The study uses a three-phase, successive mixed-method approach...
- Individual Meaning-Centered Psychotherapy in Advanced Cancer PatientsWilliam Breitbart; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Spirituality and its role in end-of-life care has emerged as a central issue in palliative care...
- Polaris Oncology Survivor Transition (POST) SystemERIN LEE O'HEA; Fiscal Year: 2013..of recurrence;and (5) recommendations and referrals for supportive care, including resources to assist with spirituality and financial concerns...
- Motivational Interviewing and Culture for Urban Native American Youth (MICUNAY)DANIEL LEE DICKERSON; Fiscal Year: 2013..whether clinically significant changes in physical, social, emotional, and functional well-being as well as spirituality and cultural identification occur, and (c) if reductions occur, estimate effec sizes for the CWG group and the ..
- Behaviors Related to Cancer Risk Among African-American College StudentsKentya Ford; Fiscal Year: 2013..e., depression and stress), religiosity/spirituality, risk perceptions, health literay, peer and familial influences and access to care...
- Exploring Cigarette Dependence among African-American Males in Barbershops.Alton Hart; Fiscal Year: 2010..We hypothesize that cultural (e.g. goal-striving stress, spirituality, John Henryism) and gender-related (e.g...
- Characterizing Human Exceptional LongevityThomas T Perls; Fiscal Year: 2010..Innumerable aspects of exceptional longevity are available for study from spirituality, personality, adaptive capacity and functional reserve, to demographic and clinical observations to epigenetic ..
- Religious engagement and psychopathology over the lifecourseJoanna Maselko; Fiscal Year: 2009DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Our understanding of how religious engagement and spirituality impact an individual's risk of mental health problems over the life-course is still quite limited...
- Religious Organizations' Responses to HIV/AIDSMagdalena Szaflarski; Fiscal Year: 2009..Our own research involving a total of nearly 700 patients with HIV/AIDS indicates that spirituality/religion is associated with patients'quality of life, life satisfaction, and depressive symptoms and that ..
- Posttraumatic Growth in Breast Cancer SurvivorsSuzanne C Danhauer; Fiscal Year: 2012..across two sites completed measures of PTG, cancer- specific and general quality of life (QOL), depression, spirituality, coping, illness intrusiveness, optimism, and positive and negative social support at baseline, 3, 6, 12, and ..
- Complementary & Alternative Care Behavior in HIV+ Latinos in the US-MexicoMARIA LUISA ZUNIGA DE NUNCIO; Fiscal Year: 2010..CAM use (e.g. herbal therapies, alternative healers, and spirituality/religious practices) may be implicated in disparities (e.g. low antiretroviral therapy (ARVs) adherence)...
- Treatment Advocacy Intervention for HIV-Postive African AmericansLaura M Bogart; Fiscal Year: 2013..g., discrimination, incarceration, poverty, social support, spirituality, trauma)...
- First Bioethics Conference on Cancer Health Disparities Research: Celebrating SchSTEPHEN O SODEKE; Fiscal Year: 2011..Creative methods that are responsive to issues of race, ethnicity, gender, class, and spirituality of research participans as well as those of investigators, are required to understand and resolve relevant ..
- Teleconference Group: Breast Cancer In African AmericansSUE HEINEY; Fiscal Year: 2009..Mediators (cancer knowledge, fear and isolation) and moderators (spirituality, stigma, fatalism) will be similarly measured...
- Discrimination, Substance Use, and Cultural Buffers among AI/AN College StudentsBRENNA GREENFIELD; Fiscal Year: 2012..e., participation in traditional activities traditional spirituality, AI/AN identity)...
- Examining the role of spiritual and religious processes in adolescents'recoveryJulie D Yeterian; Fiscal Year: 2013..later substance use and mental health outcomes, (2) to examine the psychometric properties of a new measure of spirituality and its ability to predict outcomes, and (3) to use qualitative data to explain and contextualize quantitative ..
- Regional Symposia on Minorities, the Medically Underserved &Cancer (2009 - 2014)LOVELL ALLAN JONES; Fiscal Year: 2013..lifestyles, information technology, patient and public education, patient navigation, population science, spirituality and health, and tobacco prevention, cessation, and advocacy...
- Aspects of Religiosity that Influence HIV/AIDS Prevention among Pentecostal BotswElias Mpofu; Fiscal Year: 2010..The study will map aspects of religiosity and spirituality in Botswana Pentecostal teenagers that help them maintain and protect their health from HIV/AIDS, and that ..
- Faith in Action Research Alliance: Reducing diabetes among Pacific IslandersNia Aitaoto; Fiscal Year: 2011..9,10 In spite of numerous recommendations11-18 to incorporate Pacific cultural constructs (including spirituality) into health interventions, to our knowledge, there are no studies in the CNMI or the Pacific that examines the ..
- N. American Integrative Medicine Scientific ConferenceDavid Eisenberg; Fiscal Year: 2009..The site host for the conference is the University of Minnesota, Center for Spirituality and Healing, a member of CAHCIM...
- Parental adherence to CF homecare: research chaplaincy career commitmentDANIEL HUCK GROSSOEHME; Fiscal Year: 2013..While much is known about factors affecting adherence, less is known about the role of other factors, including spirituality. Objectives: The Candidate's long-term goal is to develop an independent research career as an academic ..
- Intervention Targeting Substance Using Older Adults with HIVJeffrey T Parsons; Fiscal Year: 2013..The significance and impact of this project is threefold: 1) the integration of spirituality into addiction treatment has shown great promise for HIV+ adults and older adults, 2) in addition to targeting ..
- Religion and Suicidal Behavior Among Black AmericansSean Joe; Fiscal Year: 2010..The proposed research aims to provide a comprehensive examination of whether religious participation and spirituality are correlated with reductions in the risk for serious suicidal behavior (e.g...
- Communicating Colorectal Cancer Prevention thru Urban African American ChurchesCRYSTAL Y LUMPKINS; Fiscal Year: 2013..2005). Research indicates religion and spirituality as components that should be considered when appealing to individuals about health and making health decisions (..
- Effects of energy healing on prostate cancerJoan Fox; Fiscal Year: 2004..A CAM modality used frequently by cancer patients is spirituality. One modality based on spirituality is energy-healing...
- Effects of Acupuncture on Pain,Nausea,Quality of LifeDavid Rosenthal; Fiscal Year: 2003..Acupuncture, massage therapy, Reiki, spirituality programs, mind body techniques, herbal consults and a number of other clinical programs are offered through the ..
- Meaning-Centered Psychotherapy in Advanced CancerWilliam Breitbart; Fiscal Year: 2002b>Spirituality and its role in end-of-life care has recently emerged as a central issue in palliative care...
- Spirituality and Motives for Drinking and Not DrinkingThomas Johnson; Fiscal Year: 2003..The long term goals of this project are to improve understanding of the nature of the relationships between spirituality/religiousness and alcohol use; improve understanding of the importance of motives for not drinking in ..
- IDENTIFICATION OF ITEMS FOR HEALTH-RELATED SPIRITUALITYLynda Powell; Fiscal Year: 2000..The specific aim is to identify potential items that will be included in a measure of health-related spirituality. Living a spiritual life may be a new protective factor for aging individuals, but documentation of its ..
- AA Participation, Spirituality, and Alcohol OutcomeGerard Connors; Fiscal Year: 2001APPLICANT'S ABSTRACT: Spirituality has been an integral aspect of Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) since its founding...
- RELIGION, SPIRITUALITY AND DEMENTIA CAREGIVINGJON STUCKEY; Fiscal Year: 2000The study seeks to further the understanding of how religion and spirituality function as adaptation resources through the life course...
- A HIGH RISK PROSPECTIVE STUDY OF DRUG USE AND CRIMEMargaret Ensminger; Fiscal Year: 2005..an antecedent and consequence of substance use and its impact on health; the interrelationship of religion and spirituality and drug use across the life course...
- Comprehensive Database on Spirituality and HealthJeanette Ezzo; Fiscal Year: 2004The study of the impact on spirituality and all of its subcomponents on health and well being throughout the life cycle, the aging process, and into the final stages of life is a newly emerging, rapidly growing field...
- Challenging Life Events in Older PersonsTIMOTHY DAALEMAN; Fiscal Year: 2005..of Kansas in Lawrence; and a research project to test a theoretical model of the relationship between spirituality and patient conceptualization of death and dying in a population of community-dwelling elders with serious ..
- Spirituality and Alcoholism TreatmentJanice Pringle; Fiscal Year: 2001..This study will test the hypothesis that clients with higher scores in various dimensions of spirituality (particularly those categorized as "vertical" dimensions) will report superior retention in and outcome from ..
- Religious Commitments and Clinical EngagementsFarr Curlin; Fiscal Year: 2009..national study of physicians'religious characteristics and their approaches to the subject of spirituality in medicine...
- Strategies to Reduce Hlth Inequities for America IndiansTerri Lipman; Fiscal Year: 2005..to integrate dominant western health care and traditional wisdom of indigenous people, (4) incorporate spirituality as an inclusive dimension of health, disease and healing, and (5) describe future directions of the health of ..
- Spirituality of Children with DMDShelley Rae Pehler; Fiscal Year: 2006unreadable] DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): This application proposes research to explore the spirituality of an 8 -12 year old child with Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy...
- Does psycholigocal wellness predict treatment response?Arthur Alterman; Fiscal Year: 2006..designed to determine whether psychological strengths such as optimism, personal meaning, perceived wellness, spirituality/religiosity, positive mood, or social support are predictive of a more positive response to treatment in 300 ..
- PEOPLE AWAKENING PROJECTS: PATHWAYS TO ALASKA NATIVE SOBGerald Mohatt; Fiscal Year: 2002..consequences of alcohol for Alaska Natives; (3) define how Alaska Natives conceptualize and utilize their spirituality for their sobriety process; (4) delineate theoretical models based on the experience of Alaska Natives that ..
- A Culturally-Tailored Weight Loss ProgramMichael Simon; Fiscal Year: 2005..Weight loss counseling that incorporates spirituality may be especially relevant to AA women since they are more likely to rely on spiritual influences for support ..
- ASSESSMENT OF HOLISTIC HEALTH AND SPIRITUALITY IN ELDERSGRACIE BOSWELL; Fiscal Year: 2000..This research seeks to know how these concepts of spirituality and religiosity affect the outcomes of physical, psychological, and social dimensions of well-being...
- Shonga Ska: Sacred Horse Society Drug Prevention ProgramLESLIE WHITBECK; Fiscal Year: 2006..The horse has been central to Omaha cultural identity, values, and spirituality for nearly 300 years...
- Trajectories of Serious Illness: Patients and CaregiversJames Tulsky; Fiscal Year: 2007..of physical symptoms, functional status, emotional function, quality of life, preparation for death, spirituality, and awareness of dying. 2...
- Barriers to Care & Treatment Practices in HIV+ Latinos in US-Mexico Border RegionMARIA ZUNIGA DE NUNCIO; Fiscal Year: 2009..Aim 2: To determine specific barriers to HIV care, including manifestations of HIV-related stigma, mobility and spirituality/religiosity among HIV-positive Latinos who reside in Tijuana and San Diego...
- Effects of Meditation on Alcohol Use and RecidivismG Marlatt; Fiscal Year: 2001..of a spiritually-based meditation intervention, and to develop a better understanding of the role of spirituality in promoting change following participation in such an intervention...
- Spiritual Needs of Bereaved ParentsKathleen Meert; Fiscal Year: 2009..Aim 2 will develop and validate the Bereaved Parent Spirituality Questionnaire (BPSQ), a scale to measure bereaved parents'spiritual wellbeing...
- Risk for HIV Among Middle-age African-American WomenCaroline Mallory; Fiscal Year: 2005..know about HIV and AIDS? What beliefs do middle-age African American women hold with regard to ethnic identity, spirituality, and affective knowing? Do middle-age African American women's beliefs about self-efficacy for condom use ..
- Malt Liquor Preference-Pharmacokinetics in Afri-AmericanRobert Taylor; Fiscal Year: 2003..The contribution of factors such as advertising, tobacco use and spirituality in the development of malt liquor preference will also be explored...
- Cultural Sensitvity in End-of-life CareEILEEN VAN SCHAIK; Fiscal Year: 2003..of death and culturally patterned understandings about the role of the family, therapeutic interventions, and spirituality shape the encounter between patients and clinicians...
- HIV-infection and Parenting in South African MothersLisa Armistead; Fiscal Year: 2005..and allocation of resources); and 4) personal (maternal psychological functioning, parenting efficacy, and spirituality)...
- Chronic stressors and drug abuse in 2 Indian populationsJanette Beals; Fiscal Year: 2006..tribe, SES, and age) and personal resources (coping, self-esteem, external locus of control, social support, spirituality, ethnic identity, and treatment history) will be investigated...
- CUSTODIAL GRANDPARENTS AND RELIGION AND SPIRITUALITYMartha Crowther; Fiscal Year: 2003..that Afi'ican American custodial grandparents are very religious and spiritual, and that religiosity and spirituality may serve as coping mechanisms for grandparents who are primary caregivers for their grandchildren...
- SPIRITUALITY AND AA PRACTICES--10 YEAR MATCH FOLLOW UPJ Tonigan; Fiscal Year: 2001..In response to the NIAAA and Fetzer Institute RFA on "Studying Spirituality and Alcohol" (AA-00-002), the purpose of this study is to conduct a 10-year follow-up of clients recruited in ..
- CHILD CANCER SURVIVORS--SPIRITUAL COPING AND ADJUSTMENTCHARMAYNE BOEVING; Fiscal Year: 2002..to broaden current conceptualization of the coping and adjustment process in child cancer survivors to include spirituality as an additional predictor of positive health outcomes...
- Protective Role of Spirituality in Alcohol and HIV RiskKathy Goggin; Fiscal Year: 2002..Several of those inquiries have examined the potential protective role that religiosity and spirituality might play...
- Determinants of Sexual Behavior in Black Men Over 50Christopher Coleman; Fiscal Year: 2003..Barriers, AIDs Knowledge, Sociodemographics: current relationship status, sexual orientation and Social Norms: spirituality and religion are associated with changes in sexual behaviors in HIV infected African American men 50 years and ..
- SUICIDE RISK AND PROTECTIVE FACTORS IN BLACK ADOLESCENTSSHERRY MOLOCK; Fiscal Year: 2005..Particular attention will be paid to the role of religiosity, spirituality, and integration into a faith community as protective factors against suicidal behaviors...
- Behavioral Genetic Study of Religiosity and AlcoholismJON HABER; Fiscal Year: 2002Although religion and spirituality have always been thought to influence a wide range of human experience, the scientific study of this phenomenon has not kept pace with the growing evidence of its relevance to health, medical, and ..
- Aged Prisoner Treatment Selection: APTS (dissertation)Laura Phillips; Fiscal Year: 2006..This study also examines potential psychosocial factors (e.g., spirituality/religiousity, quality of life, death attitudes) that may influence treatment selection for [unreadable] ..
- CAM RESEARCH CENTER FOR CARDIOVASCULAR DISEASESSteven Bolling; Fiscal Year: 2002..Furthermore, the influence of spirituality upon outcomes in patients having coronary artery bypass surgery will be examined, as well as, the impact of the ..
- DIFFERENCES BETWEEN AIDS CAREGIVERSMARIA GARAY; Fiscal Year: 2000..secondary stressor of family conflict, mediator/moderators of formal and informal support, religion/spirituality, coping, and outcomes of depression, anxiety, and health, as specified by the Pearlin model, for gay partner ..