Genomes and Genes
Summary: The act or fact of grasping the meaning, nature, or importance of; understanding. (American Heritage Dictionary, 4th ed) Includes understanding by a patient or research subject of information disclosed orally or in writing.
Publications368 found, 100 shown here
- Parietal lobe: from action organization to intention understandingLeonardo Fogassi
Dipartimento di Psicologia, Universita di Parma, Borgo Carissimi 10, 43100 Parma, Italy
Science 308:662-7. 2005..Thus, these neurons not only code the observed motor act but also allow the observer to understand the agent's intentions...
- Action-based language: a theory of language acquisition, comprehension, and productionArthur M Glenberg
Department of Psychology, Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ 85287, USA
Cortex 48:905-22. 2012..a mechanism of motor control, paired controller/predictor models, has been exploited for language learning, comprehension, and production...
- Cortical activation and synchronization during sentence comprehension in high-functioning autism: evidence of underconnectivityMarcel Adam Just
Carnegie Mellon University, Center for Cognitive Brain Imaging, Department of Psychology, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Brain 127:1811-21. 2004..of a group of high-functioning autistic participants was measured using functional MRI during sentence comprehension and the results compared with those of a Verbal IQ-matched control group...
- The neural bases of social cognition and story comprehensionRaymond A Mar
Department of Psychology, York University, Toronto M3J 1P3 Canada
Annu Rev Psychol 62:103-34. 2011..A third ALE meta-analysis was conducted with respect to story comprehension in order to examine the relation between ToM and stories...
- Understanding of informed consent in a low-income setting: three case studies from the Kenyan CoastC S Molyneux
Kenya Medical Research Institute, PO Box 230, Kilifi, Kenya
Soc Sci Med 59:2547-59. 2004..These themes and emerging recommendations are expected to be relevant to, and would benefit from, experiences and insights of researchers working elsewhere...
- Interventions to improve research participants' understanding in informed consent for research: a systematic reviewJames Flory
Department of Clinical Bioethics, Warren G Magnuson Clinical Center, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
JAMA 292:1593-601. 2004..Available data suggest that prospective research participants may frequently not understand information disclosed to them in the informed consent process. Little is known about how understanding can be improved...
- Seeing, acting, understanding: motor resonance in language comprehensionRolf A Zwaan
Department of Psychology, Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL 32306 1270, USA
J Exp Psychol Gen 135:1-11. 2006..1st question asks whether visual motion that is associated with an action produces motor resonance in sentence comprehension. The 2nd question asks whether motor resonance is modulated during sentence comprehension...
- The Genetics Concept Assessment: a new concept inventory for gauging student understanding of geneticsMichelle K Smith
Department of Molecular, Cellular, and Developmental Biology, University of Colorado, Boulder, CO 80309 0347, USA
CBE Life Sci Educ 7:422-30. 2008....
- Grasping ideas with the motor system: semantic somatotopy in idiom comprehensionVéronique Boulenger
Medical Research Council, Cognition and Brain Sciences Unit, 15 Chaucer Road, Cambridge CB2 7EF, UK
Cereb Cortex 19:1905-14. 2009..These results indicate that semantic representations grounded in the sensory-motor system play a role in the composition of sentence-level meaning, even in the case of idioms...
- Integration of word meaning and world knowledge in language comprehensionPeter Hagoort
F C Donders Centre for Cognitive Neuroimaging, University of Nijmegen, Nijmegen, Netherlands
Science 304:438-41. 2004..Finally, oscillatory brain responses indicate that the brain keeps a record of what makes a sentence hard to interpret...
- The cortical language circuit: from auditory perception to sentence comprehensionAngela D Friederici
Max Planck Institute for Human Cognitive and Brain Sciences, Department of Neuropsychology, 04103 Leipzig, Germany
Trends Cogn Sci 16:262-8. 2012Over the years, a large body of work on the brain basis of language comprehension has accumulated, paving the way for the formulation of a comprehensive model...
- Discrimination of speech stimuli based on neuronal response phase patterns depends on acoustics but not comprehensionMary F Howard
Department of Linguistics, University of Maryland, College Park, MD 20742, USA
J Neurophysiol 104:2500-11. 2010..in discrimination performance, suggesting a relationship between theta-band phase patterns and speech comprehension. This study investigates the nature of this relationship, hypothesizing that theta-band phase patterns ..
- Language comprehension in the bilingual brain: fMRI and ERP support for psycholinguistic modelsWalter J B van Heuven
School of Psychology, University of Nottingham, Nottingham, UK
Brain Res Rev 64:104-22. 2010In this paper, we review issues in bilingual language comprehension in the light of functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) and event-related brain potential (ERP) data...
- Getting real about semantic illusions: rethinking the functional role of the P600 in language comprehensionHarm Brouwer
Center for Language and Cognition BCN Neuro Imaging Center, University of Groningen, The Netherlands
Brain Res 1446:127-43. 2012In traditional theories of language comprehension, syntactic and semantic processing are inextricably linked. This assumption has been challenged by the 'semantic illusion effect' found in studies using event related brain potentials...
- Integration of iconic gestures and speech in left superior temporal areas boosts speech comprehension under adverse listening conditionsHenning Holle
University of Sussex, Department of Psychology, Falmer, Brighton, UK
Neuroimage 49:875-84. 2010..This experiment targets the brain bases of how iconic gestures and speech are integrated during comprehension. Areas of integration were identified on the basis of two classic properties of multimodal integration, ..
- Combining functional and anatomical connectivity reveals brain networks for auditory language comprehensionDorothee Saur
Department of Neurology, Medical Physics, University Medical Center Freiburg, D 79106 Freiburg, Germany
Neuroimage 49:3187-97. 2010..approach is applied to the language domain to investigate the network topology of two levels of auditory comprehension: lower-level speech perception (i.e., phonological processing) and higher-level speech recognition (i.e...
- The role of pictures in improving health communication: a review of research on attention, comprehension, recall, and adherencePeter S Houts
Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine, 500 University Drive, Hershey, PA 17033, USA
Patient Educ Couns 61:173-90. 2006..To assess the effects of pictures on health communications...
- Prediction during language comprehension: benefits, costs, and ERP componentsCyma Van Petten
Department of Psychology, Binghamton University, State University of New York, Binghamton, NY 13902, USA
Int J Psychophysiol 83:176-90. 2012..has attracted research attention, but prediction has fallen in and out of favor as a likely factor in normal comprehension. We note that the common sense of this word includes both benefits for confirmed predictions and costs for ..
- Impairment of actions chains in autism and its possible role in intention understandingLuigi Cattaneo
Dipartimento di Neuroscienze, Universita di Parma, Via Volturno 39, 43100 Parma, Italy
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:17825-30. 2007..We propose that, as a consequence of this functional impairment, high-functioning autistic children may understand the intentions of others cognitively but lack the mechanism for understanding them experientially...
- Cognitive control and parsing: reexamining the role of Broca's area in sentence comprehensionJared M Novick
University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
Cogn Affect Behav Neurosci 5:263-81. 2005..for the detection and resolution of incompatible stimulus representations; (2) the role of LIFG in sentence comprehension is to implement reanalysis in the face of misinterpretation; and (3) individual differences in cognitive ..
- How numeracy influences risk comprehension and medical decision makingValerie F Reyna
Department of Human Development, Cornell University, B44 Martha Van Rensselaer Hall, Ithaca, NY 14853, USA
Psychol Bull 135:943-73. 2009..To address this gap, we outline four theoretical approaches (psychophysical, computational, standard dual-process, and fuzzy trace theory), review their implications for numeracy, and point to avenues for future research...
- Neural mechanisms of language comprehension: challenges to syntaxGina R Kuperberg
Department of Psychology, Tufts University, Medford, MA 02155, USA
Brain Res 1146:23-49. 2007..I suggest that normal language comprehension proceeds along at least two competing neural processing streams: a semantic memory-based mechanism, and a ..
- The role of left inferior frontal and superior temporal cortex in sentence comprehension: localizing syntactic and semantic processesAngela D Friederici
Max Planck Institute of Cognitive Neuroscience, Leipzig, Germany
Cereb Cortex 13:170-7. 2003..These data indicate that both semantic and syntactic processes are supported by a temporo-frontal network with distinct areas specialized for semantic and syntactic processes...
- An alternative perspective on "semantic P600" effects in language comprehensionIna Bornkessel-Schlesewsky
Independent Junior Research Group Neurotypology, Max Planck Institute for Human Cognitive and Brain Sciences, Stephanstrasse 1a, 04013 Leipzig, Germany
Brain Res Rev 59:55-73. 2008The literature on the electrophysiology of language comprehension has recently seen a very prominent discussion of "semantic P600" effects, which have been observed, for example, in sentences involving an implausible thematic role ..
- Literacy and misunderstanding prescription drug labelsTerry C Davis
Department of Medicine Pediatrics, Louisiana State University Health Science Center, Shreveport, Louisiana 71104, USA
Ann Intern Med 145:887-94. 2006..Health literacy has increasingly been viewed as a patient safety issue and may contribute to medication errors...
- Contributions of emotional prosody comprehension deficits to the formation of auditory verbal hallucinations in schizophreniaLucy Alba-Ferrara
Roskamp Laboratory of Brain Development, Modulation and Repair Department of Psychiatry and Neurosciences, Morsani College of Medicine, University of South Florida, FL, USA
Clin Psychol Rev 32:244-50. 2012..Associations of positive symptoms with poor emotional prosody comprehension (EPC) have been reported at the phenomenological, behavioral, and neural levels...
- Osmosis and diffusion conceptual assessmentKathleen M Fisher
Department of Biology, San Diego State University, CA 92182 4614, USA
CBE Life Sci Educ 10:418-29. 2011Biology student mastery regarding the mechanisms of diffusion and osmosis is difficult to achieve. To monitor comprehension of these processes among students at a large public university, we developed and validated an 18-item Osmosis and ..
- Isn't it ironic? An electrophysiological exploration of figurative language processingStefanie Regel
Max Planck Institute for Human Cognitive and Brain Sciences, Leipzig, Germany
J Cogn Neurosci 23:277-93. 2011Although the neurocognitive processes underlying the comprehension of figurative language, especially metaphors and idioms, have been studied extensively, less is known about the processing of irony...
- Perception of patterns of musical beat distribution in phonological developmental dyslexia: significant longitudinal relations with word reading and reading comprehensionUsha Goswami
Centre for Neuroscience in Education, University of Cambridge, Cambridge, UK
Cortex 49:1363-76. 2013..2011). Performance in the musical task was most strongly associated with the auditory processing of rise time, even though beat structure was varied by manipulating the duration of the musical notes...
- Comprehension of concrete and abstract words in semantic dementiaElizabeth Jefferies
Department of Psychology University of York, UK
Neuropsychology 23:492-9. 2009The vast majority of brain-injured patients with semantic impairment have better comprehension of concrete than abstract words...
- Cathodal transcranial direct current stimulation of the right Wernicke's area improves comprehension in subacute stroke patientsDae Sang You
Department of Rehabilitation Medicine, Asan Medical Center, University of Ulsan College of Medicine, Seoul, Republic of Korea
Brain Lang 119:1-5. 2011..Here, we investigated the effect of tDCS on the comprehension of aphasic patients with subacute stroke...
- Novel approach to parental permission and child assent for research: improving comprehensionTheresa A O'Lonergan
Department of Pediatrics, University of Colorado Denver, 13123 E 16th Ave, B218, Aurora, CO 80045, USA
Pediatrics 127:917-24. 2011..The overall hypothesis was that children and their parents exposed to a multimedia P/A process would have better comprehension compared with those exposed to a text-based process.
- Probabilistic word pre-activation during language comprehension inferred from electrical brain activityKatherine A DeLong
Department of Cognitive Science, University of California San Diego, La Jolla, California 92093, USA
Nat Neurosci 8:1117-21. 2005..These findings are evidence that readers use the words in a sentence (as cues to their world knowledge) to estimate relative likelihoods for upcoming words...
- Imitation improves language comprehensionPatti Adank
University of Manchester, School of Psychological Sciences, M139PL Manchester, United Kingdom
Psychol Sci 21:1903-9. 2010..However, the effect of imitation on action comprehension is unclear...
- Simple composition: a magnetoencephalography investigation into the comprehension of minimal linguistic phrasesDouglas K Bemis
Department of Psychology, New York University, New York, New York 10003, USA
J Neurosci 31:2801-14. 2011....
- Involvement of cognitive control in sentence comprehension: evidence from ERPsZheng Ye
Department of Psychology, Peking University, Beijing 100871, China
Brain Res 1203:103-15. 2008..reanalysis processes as a consequence of conflict between incompatible sentential representations in sentence comprehension. Using the event-related potential (ERP) technique, we examined the situation in which the sentential ..
- Bilateral speech comprehension reflects differential sensitivity to spectral and temporal featuresJonas Obleser
Max Planck Institute for Human Cognitive and Brain Sciences, 04103 Leipzig, Germany
J Neurosci 28:8116-23. 2008Speech comprehension has been shown to be a strikingly bilateral process, but the differential contributions of the subfields of left and right auditory cortices have remained elusive...
- Syntactic unification operations are reflected in oscillatory dynamics during on-line sentence comprehensionMarcel Bastiaansen
Max Planck Institute for Psycholinguistics, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
J Cogn Neurosci 22:1333-47. 2010..reflect the transient coupling and uncoupling of functional networks related to different aspects of language comprehension. In this work, we examine how sentence-level syntactic unification operations are reflected in the oscillatory ..
- Embodied language: a review of the role of the motor system in language comprehensionMartin H Fischer
School of Psychology, University of Dundee, Dundee, UK
Q J Exp Psychol (Hove) 61:825-50. 2008..To assess this motor resonance account of language comprehension, we first review recent developments in the literature on perception and action, with a view towards language ..
- Thinking ahead: the role and roots of prediction in language comprehensionKara D Federmeier
Department of Psychology, Program in Neuroscience, and the Beckman Institute for Advanced Science and Technology, University of Illinois, Urbana Champaign, Champaign, Illinois 61820, USA
Psychophysiology 44:491-505. 2007..using event-related potentials to examine when and how sentence context information is used during language comprehension. Results suggest that, when it can, the brain uses context to predict features of likely upcoming items...
- Comprehension of human pointing gestures in young human-reared wolves (Canis lupus) and dogs (Canis familiaris)Zsófia Virányi
Department of Ethology, Eotvos Lorand University, Budapest, Hungary
Anim Cogn 11:373-87. 2008..We assume that the high variability in the wolves' communicative behaviour might have provided a basis for selection during the course of domestication of the dog...
- Physical and perceptual factors shape the neural mechanisms that integrate audiovisual signals in speech comprehensionHweeLing Lee
Max Planck Institute for Biological Cybernetics, 72076 Tubingen, Germany
J Neurosci 31:11338-50. 2011..In conclusion, audiovisual speech comprehension emerges in an interactive process with the integration of auditory and visual signals being progressively ..
- Do people use language production to make predictions during comprehension?Martin J Pickering
Department of Psychology, University of Edinburgh, 7 George Square, Edinburgh EH8 9JZ, UK
Trends Cogn Sci 11:105-10. 2007We present the case that language comprehension involves making simultaneous predictions at different linguistic levels and that these predictions are generated by the language production system...
- A common system for the comprehension and production of narrative speechMalaka Awad
Division of Neuroscience and Mental Health and Medical Research Council Clinical Sciences Centre, Imperial College London, Hammersmith Hospital, London W12 0NN, United Kingdom
J Neurosci 27:11455-64. 2007..Our hypothesis was that functional imaging in normal subjects would demonstrate the convergence of speech comprehension and production on high-order heteromodal and amodal cortical areas implicated in declarative memory functions...
- Retrieval and unification of syntactic structure in sentence comprehension: an FMRI study using word-category ambiguityTineke M Snijders
F C Donders Centre for Cognitive Neuroimaging, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Cereb Cortex 19:1493-503. 2009Sentence comprehension requires the retrieval of single word information from long-term memory, and the integration of this information into multiword representations...
- Dissociating speech perception and comprehension at reduced levels of awarenessMatthew H Davis
Medical Research Council Cognition and Brain Sciences Unit, 15 Chaucer Road, Cambridge CB2 7EF, United Kingdom
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:16032-7. 2007..MRI and the anesthetic agent propofol to assess the relationship among neural responses to speech, successful comprehension, and conscious awareness...
- Neural evidence that utterance-processing entails mentalizing: the case of ironyNicola Spotorno
Laboratory L2C2, CNRS Université Lyon 1 FRE3406, 69675 Bron Cedex, France
Neuroimage 63:25-39. 2012..In the present fMRI investigation, we compare participants' comprehension of 18 target sentences as contexts make them either ironic or literal...
- Production, usage, and comprehension in animal vocalizationsRobert M Seyfarth
Department of Psychology and Biology, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, 19104, USA
Brain Lang 115:92-100. 2010In this review, we place equal emphasis on production, usage, and comprehension because these components of communication may exhibit different developmental trajectories and be affected by different neural mechanisms...
- How much anatomy is enough?Esther M Bergman
Department of Anatomy Embryology, Maastricht University, Maastricht, The Netherlands
Anat Sci Educ 1:184-8. 2008..These factors appeared to outweigh the effects of disciplinary integration or whether the curriculum was problem-based or traditional...
- Prosodic phrasing is central to language comprehensionLyn Frazier
Department of Linguistics, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, Massachusetts, 01003, USA
Trends Cogn Sci 10:244-9. 2006..Recent results suggest, however, that the global pattern of prosodic phrasing is what matters in sentence comprehension, not just the occurrence or size of a single local boundary...
- Informed consent: how much and what do patients understand?Matthew E Falagas
Alfa Institute of Biomedical Sciences AIBS, Athens, Greece
Am J Surg 198:420-35. 2009..We sought to evaluate the degree of patients' understanding of several aspects of the informed consent process for surgery and clinical research...
- HIV vaccine trials: critical issues in informed consentG Lindegger
School of Psychology, University of Natal, Private Bag X01, Scottsville, Pietermaritzburg, 3209 South Africa
S Afr J Sci 96:313-7. 2000..Various contentious aspects of IC are examined, especially the problem of social desirability and of adequate comprehension. The need for sensitivity to cultural norms in implementing IC procedures is critically reviewed, and some of ..
- Sentence comprehension in autism: thinking in pictures with decreased functional connectivityRajesh K Kana
Center for Cognitive Brain Imaging, Department of Psychology, Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Brain 129:2484-93. 2006..g. Addition, subtraction and multiplication are all math skills), the use of imagery is not essential to comprehension. Nevertheless, the autism group activated parietal and occipital brain regions associated with imagery for ..
- Wernicke's aphasia reflects a combination of acoustic-phonological and semantic control deficits: a case-series comparison of Wernicke's aphasia, semantic dementia and semantic aphasiaHolly Robson
Neuroscience and Aphasia Research Unit NARU, University of Manchester, Manchester, UK
Neuropsychologia 50:266-75. 2012Wernicke's aphasia (WA) is the classical neurological model of comprehension impairment and, as a result, the posterior temporal lobe is assumed to be critical to semantic cognition...
- Validation of the Subjective Numeracy Scale: effects of low numeracy on comprehension of risk communications and utility elicitationsBrian J Zikmund-Fisher
VA Health Services Research and Development Center for Practice Management and Outcomes Research, VA Ann Arbor Healthcare System, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Med Decis Making 27:663-71. 2007..In a companion article, the authors describe the Subjective Numeracy Scale (SNS), a self-assessment of numerical aptitude and preferences for numbers that correlates strongly with objective numeracy...
- The neural correlates of emotional prosody comprehension: disentangling simple from complex emotionLucy Alba-Ferrara
Department of Psychiatry and Neuroscience, University of South Florida, Tampa, Florida, United States of America
PLoS ONE 6:e28701. 2011Emotional prosody comprehension (EPC), the ability to interpret another person's feelings by listening to their tone of voice, is crucial for effective social communication...
- Stimulus design is an obstacle course: 560 matched literal and metaphorical sentences for testing neural hypotheses about metaphorEileen R Cardillo
Department of Neurology, University of Pennsylvania, 3 West Gates, 3400 Spruce Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Behav Res Methods 42:651-64. 2010..the role of novelty, metaphor type, and sensory-motor grounding in determining the neural basis of metaphor comprehension. Supplemental data for this article may be downloaded from http://brm.psychonomic-journals...
- Quality of informed consent in cancer clinical trials: a cross-sectional surveyS Joffe
Department of Paediatric Oncology, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Lancet 358:1772-7. 2001..Efforts to educate providers and participants about the underlying goals of clinical trials are needed...
- Predictors of comprehension during surgical informed consentAaron S Fink
Atlanta Veterans Affairs Medical Center, 1670 Clairmont Road, Decatur, GA 30033, USA
J Am Coll Surg 210:919-26. 2010Patient comprehension during surgical informed consent remains problematic...
- Patient and physician factors predict patients' comprehension of health informationPetra Lukoschek
Department of Epidemiology and Social Medicine, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Room 1306, Belfer Building, 1300 Morris Park Avenue, Bronx, NY 10461, USA
Patient Educ Couns 50:201-10. 2003..not comprehend health information, little is known about patient and physician factors that influence lack of comprehension. To assess effectiveness of health information exchange, 19 physicians and 145 patients were given post-..
- Beta oscillations relate to the N400m during language comprehensionLin Wang
Max Planck Institute for Psycholinguistics, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Hum Brain Mapp 33:2898-912. 2012..ERPs/ERFs) and the event-related changes in EEG/MEG power that can be observed during sentence-level language comprehension is as yet unclear...
- Interventions to improve patient comprehension in informed consent for medical and surgical procedures: a systematic reviewYael Schenker
Department of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
Med Decis Making 31:151-73. 2011..Little is known about the effectiveness of interventions to improve comprehension or the extent to which such interventions address different elements of understanding in informed consent.
- Repeated assessments of informed consent comprehension among HIV-infected participants of a three-year clinical trial in BotswanaLelia H Chaisson
Berman Institute of Bioethics, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America
PLoS ONE 6:e22696. 2011..Few investigators measure participant comprehension of IC, while even fewer conduct interim assessments once a trial is underway.
- The weight of opinion on childhood obesity: recognizing complexity and supporting collaborative actionDeanna Pagnini
NSW Centre for Overweight and Obesity, University of Sydney
Int J Pediatr Obes 4:233-41. 2009..The study investigated similarities and differences in the perceptions of parents, adolescents, General Practitioners (GPs) and education professionals regarding childhood overweight and obesity...
- The time course of action and action-word comprehension in the human brain as revealed by neurophysiologyO Hauk
MRC Cognition and Brain Sciences Unit, 15 Chaucer Road, Cambridge CB2 7EF, UK
J Physiol Paris 102:50-8. 2008..pivotal to determine the functional significance of motor areas in action recognition and action-word comprehension. Here, we review attempts to reveal the time course of these processes using neurophysiological methods (EEG, ..
- Informed consent document improvement does not increase patients' comprehension in biomedical researchAdeline Paris
INSERM, CHU Grenoble, France
Br J Clin Pharmacol 69:231-7. 2010..whether the modification of the IC document by a working group or systematic improvement in its lexicosyntactic readability can improve comprehension of the written information given to patients participating in biomedical research.
- Distinction between the literal and intended meanings of sentences: a functional magnetic resonance imaging study of metaphor and sarcasmHitoshi T Uchiyama
Department of Education, Faculty of Regional Sciences, Tottori University, Tottori, Japan
Cortex 48:563-83. 2012..To delineate the neural substrates of pragmatic comprehension, we conducted functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) with 20 normal adult volunteers...
- How vision is shaped by language comprehension--top-down feedback based on low-spatial frequenciesGerrit Hirschfeld
Institute for Psychology, University of Munster, Munster, Germany
Brain Res 1377:78-83. 2011Effects of language comprehension on visual processing have been extensively studied within the embodied-language framework...
- The role of left and right hemispheres in the comprehension of idiomatic language: an electrical neuroimaging studyAlice M Proverbio
Department of Psychology, University of Milano Bicocca, 20126, Milan, Italy
BMC Neurosci 10:116. 2009..Word length, abstractness and frequency of use, sentence comprehensibility, familiarity and cloze probability were matched across classes...
- Ameliorating children's reading-comprehension difficulties: a randomized controlled trialPaula J Clarke
University of York, York YO10 5DD, United Kingdom
Psychol Sci 21:1106-16. 2010Children with specific reading-comprehension difficulties can read accurately, but they have poor comprehension...
- Rhythm's gonna get you: regular meter facilitates semantic sentence processingKathrin Rothermich
Max Planck Institute for Human Cognitive and Brain Sciences, Minerva Group Neurocognition of Rhythm in Communication, Leipzig, Germany
Neuropsychologia 50:232-44. 2012..languages such as German, this regularity functions as a powerful temporal and structural cue in speech comprehension. Recent evidence shows that it also interacts with higher level linguistic faculties such as syntax (Schmidt-..
- What is quality anyway? Performance reports that clearly communicate to consumers the meaning of quality of careJudith H Hibbard
Department of Planning, Public Policy, and Management, University of Oregon, PO Box1209, Eugene, OR 97403 1209, USA
Med Care Res Rev 67:275-93. 2010..In this study, the authors determine the impact of providing a framework for understanding quality on the comprehension and salience of quality information...
- Disentangling the brain networks supporting affective speech comprehensionPierre Yves Hervé
Univ Bordeaux, Groupe d Imagerie Neurofonctionnelle, UMR 5296, F 33000 Bordeaux, France
Neuroimage 61:1255-67. 2012..To confirm that these regions constitute a coherent network during affective speech comprehension, new event-related functional magnetic resonance imaging data were acquired, using the emotional and ..
- Comprehension of familiar and unfamiliar native accents under adverse listening conditionsPatti Adank
Donders Institute for Brain, Cognition, and Behavior, Centre for Cognitive Neuroimaging, Radboud University Nijmegen, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
J Exp Psychol Hum Percept Perform 35:520-9. 2009This study aimed to determine the relative processing cost associated with comprehension of an unfamiliar native accent under adverse listening conditions...
- Semantic, factual, and social language comprehension in adolescents with autism: an FMRI studyW B Groen
Karakter, Child and Adolescent Psychiatry University Center, Karakter, 6525 GC Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Cereb Cortex 20:1937-45. 2010..high-functioning autistic participants was measured with functional magnetic resonance imaging during sentence comprehension and compared with that of twenty-six matched controls...
- A longitudinal investigation of early reading and language skills in children with poor reading comprehensionKate Nation
Department of Experimental Psychology, University of Oxford, UK
J Child Psychol Psychiatry 51:1031-9. 2010..We used a longitudinal design to examine earlier reading and language skills in children identified as poor comprehenders in mid-childhood...
- Audiovisual integration during speech comprehension: an fMRI study comparing ROI-based and whole brain analysesGregor R Szycik
Department of Neuropsychology, University of Magdeburg, Magdeburg, Germany
Hum Brain Mapp 30:1990-9. 2009Visual information (lip movements) significantly contributes to speech comprehension raising the question for the neural implementation of audiovisual (AV) integration during speech processing...
- The relations between children's communicative perspective-taking and executive functioningElizabeth S Nilsen
Department of Psychology, University of Waterloo, Waterloo, Ont, Canada N2L3G1
Cogn Psychol 58:220-49. 2009..of the perspective of their speaking partner to guide their communicative behaviors in both a production and comprehension task...
- Motor resonance as a function of narrative time: further tests of the linguistic focus hypothesisRolf A Zwaan
Department of Psychology, Erasmus University Rotterdam, PO Box 1738, NL 3000 DR Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Brain Lang 112:143-9. 2010Neuroimaging and behavioral studies have revealed involvement of the brain's motor system in language comprehension. The Linguistic-Focus Hypothesis [Taylor, L. J., & Zwaan, R. A. (2008). Motor resonance and linguistic focus...
- The role of the anterior temporal lobes in the comprehension of concrete and abstract words: rTMS evidenceGorana Pobric
Neuroscience and Aphasia Research Unit, School of Psychological Sciences, University of Manchester, UK
Cortex 45:1104-10. 2009..The majority of SD patients (who have circumscribed atrophy of the anterior temporal lobes) have better comprehension of concrete than abstract words...
- Neural development of networks for audiovisual speech comprehensionAnthony Steven Dick
Department of Neurology, The University of Chicago, IL, USA
Brain Lang 114:101-14. 2010Everyday conversation is both an auditory and a visual phenomenon. While visual speech information enhances comprehension for the listener, evidence suggests that the ability to benefit from this information improves with development...
- From language comprehension to action understanding and back againPascale Tremblay
Department of Neurology, The University of Chicago, Chicago, IL 60637, USA
Cereb Cortex 21:1166-77. 2011A controversial question in cognitive neuroscience is whether comprehension of words and sentences engages brain mechanisms specific for decoding linguistic meaning or whether language comprehension occurs through more domain-general ..
- An amorphous model for morphological processing in visual comprehension based on naive discriminative learningR Harald Baayen
Department of Linguistics, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Psychol Rev 118:438-81. 2011..English phrasal paradigmatic effects modulating isolated word reading are reported and modeled, showing that the paradigmatic effects characterizing Serbian case inflection have crosslinguistic scope...
- The influence of multiple primes on bottom-up and top-down regulation during meaning retrieval: evidence for 2 distinct neural networksCarin Whitney
Department of Psychology, University of York, York YO105DD, UK
Cereb Cortex 19:2548-60. 2009..They further imply a functional specialization of the LIPC along an anterior-posterior dimension...
- Disentangling syntax and intelligibility in auditory language comprehensionAngela D Friederici
Max Planck Institute for Human Cognitive and Brain Sciences, Leipzig, Germany
Hum Brain Mapp 31:448-57. 2010Studies of the neural basis of spoken language comprehension typically focus on aspects of auditory processing by varying signal intelligibility, or on higher-level aspects of language processing such as syntax...
- Neural network of speech monitoring overlaps with overt speech production and comprehension networks: a sequential spatial and temporal ICA studyVincent van de Ven
Department of Cognitive Neuroscience, Faculty of Psychology, Maastricht University, Maastricht, The Netherlands
Neuroimage 47:1982-91. 2009The neural correlates of speech monitoring overlap with neural correlates of speech comprehension and production...
- Bilateral brain processes for comprehending natural languageMark Jung-Beeman
Department of Psychology, and Cognitive Brain Mapping Group, Northwestern University, 2029 Sheridan Road, Evanston, IL 60208 2710, USA
Trends Cogn Sci 9:512-8. 2005b>Comprehension of natural language--stories, conversations, text--is very simple for those doing the comprehending and very complex for cognitive neuroscientists...
- Semantic ambiguity processing in sentence context: Evidence from event-related fMRIMonika Zita Zempleni
Department of General Linguistics, University of Groningen, The Netherlands
Neuroimage 34:1270-9. 2007..The results indicate that a bilaterally distributed network supports semantic ambiguity comprehension: left (BA 45/44) and right (BA 47) inferior frontal gyri and left (BA 20/37) and right inferior/middle ..
- Neural basis of irony comprehension in children with autism: the role of prosody and contextA Ting Wang
Department of Psychology, University of California, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Brain 129:932-43. 2006....
- Language in context: emergent features of word, sentence, and narrative comprehensionJiang Xu
Language Section, Voice Speech and Language Branch, National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Neuroimage 25:1002-15. 2005..These results underscore the importance of studying language in an ecologically valid context, suggesting a neural model for the processing of discourse...
- Action comprehension in aphasia: linguistic and non-linguistic deficits and their lesion correlatesAyse Pinar Saygin
Department of Cognitive Science, University of California, San Diego, 9500 Gilman Drive 0515, La Jolla, CA 92093 0515, USA
Neuropsychologia 42:1788-804. 2004We tested aphasic patients' comprehension of actions to examine processing deficits in the linguistic and non-linguistic domains and their lesion correlates...
- A functional role for the motor system in language understanding: evidence from theta-burst transcranial magnetic stimulationRoel M Willems
1Helen Wills Neuroscience Institute, University of California, Berkeley, USA
Psychol Sci 22:849-54. 2011Does language comprehension depend, in part, on neural systems for action? In previous studies, motor areas of the brain were activated when people read or listened to action verbs, but it remains unclear whether such activation is ..
- Why organizations continue to create patient information leaflets with readability and usability problems: an exploratory studyIddo Gal
Department of Human Services, University of Haifa, Mt Carmel, Eshkol Tower, Haifa 31905, Israel
Health Educ Res 20:485-93. 2005..It is suggested to adopt a broad ecological view of the environments in which patient education materials are created and deployed. Implications for practice and for future related research are discussed...
- Action experience alters 3-month-old infants' perception of others' actionsJessica A Sommerville
Department of Psychology and Institute for Learning and Brain Sciences, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98195, USA
Cognition 96:B1-11. 2005..These findings indicate that infants can rapidly form goal-based action representations and suggest a developmental link between infants' goal directed actions and their ability to detect goals in the actions of others...
- The neural integration of speaker and messageJos J A van Berkum
Max Planck Institute for Psycholinguistics, Nijmegen, Netherlands
J Cogn Neurosci 20:580-91. 2008..According to our event-related potential results, language comprehension takes very rapid account of the social context, and the construction of meaning based on language alone cannot ..
- Elucidating the nature of deregulated semantic cognition in semantic aphasia: evidence for the roles of prefrontal and temporo-parietal corticesKrist A Noonan
University of Manchester, Manchester, UK
J Cogn Neurosci 22:1597-613. 2010..Seven patients with SA were tested on four comprehension and naming tasks that directly manipulated the requirement for executive control in different ways...
- Right anterior superior temporal activation predicts auditory sentence comprehension following aphasic strokeJenny Crinion
Wellcome Department of Imaging Neuroscience, Institute of Neurology, London, UK
Brain 128:2858-71. 2005Previous studies have suggested that recovery of speech comprehension after left hemisphere infarction may depend on a mechanism in the right hemisphere...
- The relative timing of syntactic and semantic processes in sentence comprehensionA D Friederici
Max Planck Institute of Cognitive Neuroscience, PO Box 500 355, 04303 Leipzig, Germany
Neuroreport 15:165-9. 2004..The similarity of the ERP pattern for the pure syntactic and the double violation condition provides strong evidence for a functional primacy of initial syntactic over lexical-semantic processes...
- Interplay between syntax and semantics during sentence comprehension: ERP effects of combining syntactic and semantic violationsPeter Hagoort
University of Nijmegen
J Cogn Neurosci 15:883-99. 2003..Overall, the results reveal an asymmetry in the interplay between syntax and semantics during on-line sentence comprehension.
- Comprehension of human pointing gestures in horses (Equus caballus)Katalin Maros
Department of Organic Agriculture and Animal Welfare, Szent Istvan University, Páter Károly u 1, 2103, Godollo, Hungary
Anim Cogn 11:457-66. 2008..rely spontaneously on those cues that could have a stimulus or local enhancement effect, but the possible comprehension of the distal momentary pointing remained unclear...
- Grasping the intentions of others with one's own mirror neuron systemMarco Iacoboni
Ahmanson Lovelace Brain Mapping Center, Neuropsychiatric Institute, David Geffen School of Medicine, University of California, Los Angeles, California, USA
PLoS Biol 3:e79. 2005..To ascribe an intention is to infer a forthcoming new goal, and this is an operation that the motor system does automatically...
- Improving Self-Reports About High Risk Sexual BehaviorDiane Binson; Fiscal Year: 2010..Scientific models of the survey question-answer process specify question comprehension as a necessary precursor to obtaining a response that is as error-free as possible...
- Enhanced Multimedia Telehealth for Hearing DisabilitiesYunxin Zhao; Fiscal Year: 2005..driven array of adaptations to current telehealth systems that will facilitate speech and sign language comprehension. The project will achieve three aims: 1) It will enhance language comprehension by developing a real-time ..
- SOME DETERMINANTS OF SPEECH PERCEPTIONJoanne Miller; Fiscal Year: 2007..applicant): The overall objective of the proposed research is to increase our understanding of spoken language comprehension. The research focuses specifically on the very early stages of comprehension, during which the listener ..
- Regulation of B Cell Function by Membrane-Cytoskeletal RemodelingNeetu Gupta; Fiscal Year: 2012..Ultimately, our research will facilitate better comprehension of immunological disorders that result from perturbation of signaling pathways and cellular architecture...
- Transforming PCI Informed Consent into an Evidence-based Decision-making ToolJohn A Spertus; Fiscal Year: 2010..eliciting informed consent from patients undergoing percutaneous coronary intervention (PCI) on patients'comprehension of procedural risks/benefits and upon clinicians'use of effective strategies to minimize the risk of ..
- Thrombospondin 4 A1JOHN W LAWLER; Fiscal Year: 2010A detailed comprehension of the role of the thrombospondins (TSPs), including cartilage oligomeric matrix protein (COMP), in the regulation of extracellular matrix (ECM) structure and cellular behavior during tissue genesis and repair is ..
- PTIP as an epigenetic regulator in male meiosisGuo Zhang Zhu; Fiscal Year: 2013..Despite recent progress, our comprehension of the dynamic epigenome in developing male germ cells remains largely to be defined...
- Integration of mucosal immune responses through the enteric nervous systemDANIEL S MUCIDA; Fiscal Year: 2013..unappreciated multidirectional interactions between the immune system and the nervous system, enhancing our comprehension of gut immunity, opening new avenues for the design of alternative treatment for intestinal infections and ..
- Integration of PR and FoxO Signaling in Pituitary GonadotropesVarykina G Thackray; Fiscal Year: 2010..In Specific Aim 2, comprehension of FoxO1 function in the pituitary gonadotrope will be expanded using genetic analysis of conditional null ..
- Phosphorylation Events During Sperm CapacitationPABLO EDUARDO VISCONTI; Fiscal Year: 2013..RELEVANCE: Difficulties in earlier efforts to fertilize mammalian eggs in vitro were due mainly to a lack of comprehension of sperm physiology...
- GRAFT REJECTION AND DIRECT VERSUS INDIRECT RECOGNITIONPETER SCOTT HEEGER; Fiscal Year: 2013..The results of the studies will improve comprehension of immune mechanisms that result in allograft injury, specifically addressing the impact of locally activated ..
- Effect of MIP-1 delta on Osteoclast Development and Pathological Bone ResorptionScott L Kominsky; Fiscal Year: 2010..Despite advances in our comprehension of the bone remodeling process, the mechanisms responsible for pathological bone loss initiated by skeletal ..
- Physiologic Regulation of Hematopoiesis by NotchNadia Carlesso; Fiscal Year: 2011..A better comprehension of the events that coordinate cell proliferation and differentiation during normal hematopoiesis is crucial ..
- Mechanisms used by skin dendritic cells to induce regulatory T cellsJuliana Idoyaga; Fiscal Year: 2013..A detailed comprehension of the mechanisms of DC-mediated T reg induction will help to understand the events that lead to the ..
- Role of miR-8 and Ena in Synaptic Structure and FunctionCARLOS MANUEL LOYA; Fiscal Year: 2010..the molecular components involved in the establishment of appropriate synaptic contacts is important for our comprehension of these disease states, and potentially for the discovery of drug targets and therapeutics...
- TripleTOF 5600 Hybrid Mass SpectrometerHanno Steen; Fiscal Year: 2012..of cytokines and receptors on sensory neurons associated with inflammatory pain and advancing the comprehension of the minimal cell cycle and the systems biochemistry of multisite phosphorylation...
- Effects of expectation on gustatory cortical activityAlfredo Fontanini; Fiscal Year: 2013..The comprehension of how the brain responds to the expectation of tastes will shed light on the complexities of food selection ..
- Genetic and Transcriptional Control of Spleen DevelopmentLicia Selleri; Fiscal Year: 2013..Lastly, our studies aspire to provide a better comprehension of the pathogenesis of congenital asplenia, as we put forth the prerequisite basic genetic background towards ..
- Study of Dopamine Transporter, a Direct Downstream Effector of Goalpha SignalingAnjali Rao; Fiscal Year: 2011..A better comprehension of molecular mechanisms of DAT endocytic trafficking is not only crucial for understanding normal DA ..
- Role of Peroxisome Proliferation in Leptin ResistanceSabrina Diano; Fiscal Year: 2013..In particular, a comprehension of the fine cellular interplay and intracellular mechanisms that enable appropriate hypothalamic and ..
- Blood-to-CNS Drug Uptake in PainTHOMAS PAUL DAVIS; Fiscal Year: 2013..A clear comprehension of biological mechanisms involved in drug transport across the BBB is essential to clarify CNS uptake of ..
- Immune evasion in a humanized mouse model of HHV-6 infectionAmy W Hudson; Fiscal Year: 2013..viruses is essential: not only will greater knowledge of these viral mechanisms lead to a more thorough comprehension of how these viruses have such great success in evading the host immune response, but a greater understanding ..
- Multi-Center Assessment of Health Literacy and Oral HealthMark D Macek; Fiscal Year: 2013..At the heart of that understanding is knowing the ways that different health literacy skills (e.g., reading comprehension, numeracy, conceptual knowledge) work individually and as a group to support oral healthcare decision making ..
- FUNCTIONAL ORGANIZATION OF PRIMARY AUDITORY CORTEXChristoph E Schreiner; Fiscal Year: 2013..Examples of central auditory consequences of peripheral hearing disorders are a reduction of speech comprehension for patients even if they that have well-fitted hearing aids, or the difficulty to understand speech in ..
- Autophagy, Mitochondria and Aging in DrosophilaAmalia Icreverzi; Fiscal Year: 2012..A fundamental understanding of how mitochondria are turned over is critical to enhance our comprehension of aging, and may provide insights into the development of therapies...
- Regulation, signaling, and dynamics of glucan phosphatases.Matthew S Gentry; Fiscal Year: 2013..Completion of this work will yield a better comprehension of these complex events and will produce therapeutic insights for epilepsy and neurodegeneration.
- The ILK/PINCH/Parvin complex in renal tubulogenesisRoy Zent; Fiscal Year: 2013..Understanding this basic cell biological process will help with our comprehension of the pathophysiology of congenital renal diseases resulting in abnormal tubule formation as well as how ..
- Explore fundamental aspects of neurotransmission with multifunctional nanosensorQi Zhang; Fiscal Year: 2011..and precise measurement obstructs further investigation of synaptic vesicles and thus impedes a complete comprehension of such mutual modulation...
- Quality of Informed Consent for Adult-to-Adult Living Donor Liver TransplantationElisa J Gordon; Fiscal Year: 2012..However, current practice does not entail any formal assessment of a donor's comprehension and no tools exist to formally assess the adequacy of informed consent in this or any other clinical contexts...
- Informed Consent in Pediatric Phase I Cancer TrialsEric D Kodish; Fiscal Year: 2011The primary goal of this research is to understand communication, comprehension and decision-making in Phase I childhood cancer trials...
- Brain Mechanisms in Pediatric Bipolar Disorder and Attention Deficit HyperactivitMani N Pavuluri; Fiscal Year: 2010..Mechanistic comprehension of the neural circuitry function will enhance our understanding of the dimensional functions of affect and ..
- DIFFERENTIAL DIAGNOSIS IN LEARNING DISABILITIESRichard K Olson; Fiscal Year: 2013..the identification, characterization, validation and amelioration of reading disabilities (both word-level and comprehension), writing disabilities (both writing mechanics and composition), and ADHD, the most prevalent and often co-..
- Modeling PCa Bone Metastasis: Dual Role of E-selectin Ligands and IntegrinsSTEVEN RUSSELL BARTHEL; Fiscal Year: 2012..Of note, 80- 90% of these patients presented with bone metastasis. Unfortunately, our comprehension of how bone metastasis is initiated is ill-defined...
- Speech Perception Assessment and Training System for Aphasia RehabilitationJames D Miller; Fiscal Year: 2010..This has the promise of improving language comprehension skills more broadly as speech-perception impairments appear to have a cascading effect on higher levels of ..
- Impact of PrEP Messaging on Comprehension, Acceptability, and Risk Among MSMSarit A Golub; Fiscal Year: 2013..and cumulative impact of four elements of PrEP messaging - modality, frame, specificity, and messenger - on comprehension and acceptability of PrEP as a biomedical prevention strategy;(2) Estimate the impact of each of these factors ..
- Studies of Natural SIV Infection of Sooty MangabeysGuido Silvestri; Fiscal Year: 2013..We believe that these studies will improve our comprehension of AIDS pathogenesis in humans and that this knowledge will ultimately translate in better prevention and ..
- Mechanisms of Pbx-directed Genetic &Transcriptional Control of Limb DevelopmentLicia Selleri; Fiscal Year: 2013..Broadly, given the involvement of human HOX genes in leukemias and solid tumors, our studies will inform general comprehension of HOX regulation also in human neoplasia.
- Medtable: An EMR Strategy to Promote Patient Medication Understanding and UseDaniel G Morrow; Fiscal Year: 2012..g., provide complete information, check patient comprehension);H2) Patients in the intervention condition will be more satisfied with communication about medication...
- Predicting language outcomes from early processing efficiency in preterm childrenAnne Fernald; Fiscal Year: 2013..mos on a series of increasingly challenging, but developmentally appropriate, assessments of online language comprehension and on standardized offline tests of cognition and language...
- Corepressor Regulation of Nuclear Receptor ActionAnthony N Hollenberg; Fiscal Year: 2013..The completion of these three Aims will allow for greater comprehension of how modulation of co-repressor signaling in vivo alters key metabolic pathways...
- Dissecting the genetic underpinnings of essential tremorCoro Paisan-Ruiz; Fiscal Year: 2013..In addition, we strongly believe that the identification of novl tremor genes will greatly contribute to the comprehension of other neurodegenerative diseases such as Parkinson's disease, as having ET increases the risk for ..
- A Multicultural, Multilingual HPV Vaccine Education DVD for Diverse PopulationsArmando Valdez; Fiscal Year: 2010..parents of girls 9-17 old, (2) identify cultural values, beliefs, and practices that influence attention, comprehension, perception and evaluation of HPV vaccine information intended to inform an immunization decision, (3) ..
- The PFT Intervention: Linking triply-diagnosed inpatients to community careMichael B Blank; Fiscal Year: 2013..participants to implement the adherence component of PFT using approaches tailored to the communication and comprehension of the person that includes memory aids, education regarding side effects and other treatment aspects, ..
- DISCLOSING A DEMENTIA DIAGNOSIS: ANALYSIS OF A TRIADIC HEALTHCARE ENCOUNTERBrian D Carpenter; Fiscal Year: 2010..the diagnostic disclosure encounter that predict subsequent depression, anxiety, satisfaction, and diagnostic comprehension in patients and companions...
- The effects of aging and hearing loss on human auditory cortexDavid L Woods; Fiscal Year: 2013..To evaluate the behavioral relevance of these changes we have developed new tests of speech comprehension in noise and auditory short- term verbal memory and found that these abilities are compromised by aging, ..
- Regulation of cardiac morphogenesis by Nkx genes KIMARA L TARGOFF; Fiscal Year: 2010..However, comprehension of the underlying cellular and molecular mechanisms regulated by NKX2-5 is extremely limited...
- HIV Prevention Messages Targeting Latino MSMMaria Rosa Solorio; Fiscal Year: 2013..We will launch the HIV prevention PSAs onto website and radio and evaluate messages acceptability, comprehension and recall, and attitude strength;message impact on "intentions" towards HIV testing and condom use and on ..
- Neuroscience Advanced Predoctoral Institutional Training GrantJerome N Sanes; Fiscal Year: 2012..training at all levels with a strong foundation in core concepts, skills, methodologies, and advanced comprehension of the scientific literature...
- HPV Vaccine Education Intervention for Medically Underserved High-risk PopulationArmando Valdez; Fiscal Year: 2013..specific themes, message elements and communication strategies for an intervention that enhances patient comprehension and evaluation of the risks and benefits of the vaccine, (3) identify cultural values, beliefs, and practices ..
- Measuring Prisoners'Voluntary Consent to Clinical Research for Opioid DependencePAUL PASQUALE CHRISTOPHER; Fiscal Year: 2013..definition and preliminary set of instrument items, and d) pilot testing the instrument for readability and comprehension. Establishing the instrument's construct validity (Aim 2) will be achieved by evaluating concept validity ..
- Improving decision making for patients with prolonged mechanical ventilationCHRISTOPHER ETHAN COX; Fiscal Year: 2013..quality, defined as clinician-surrogate concordance for prognosis, quality of communication, and medical comprehension;(2) surrogates'psychological distress;and (3) patients'health care utilization...
- NEURAL NETWORKS FOR SPEECH PERCEPTION IN NOISELee M Miller; Fiscal Year: 2010..neural network analyses test how interactions among brain regions accommodate degraded speech and improve comprehension. Our specific AIMS are to identify the neural networks mediating speech perception in noise, when ..
- Risk Communication for Environmental ExposureBrian J Zikmund Fisher; Fiscal Year: 2010..This study seeks to: 1) examine comprehension, retention, and risk perception of messages, and change in behavior among residents who participated in a ..
- EFFECTS OF ASYMMETRIC HEARING IN ACOUSTIC LISTENERS AND COCHLEAR IMPLANT USERSJill B Firszt; Fiscal Year: 2013..We predict that compensating for degraded speech comprehension in noise involves greater activation of cognitive centers in temporo-parietal, inferior and dorsolateral ..
- Reducing HIV Disparities: Sexual Concurrency Communication for HIV Prevention amoMichele Peake Andrasik; Fiscal Year: 2010..will launch HIV prevention concurrency messaging and evaluate acceptability and impact, including message comprehension and recall (1-month post recall among n=30 African-Americans and n=30 Kenyans and Ethiopians), intention, and ..
- Vocabulary Support for Consumer Health InformaticsQing Zeng; Fiscal Year: 2010..project will concentrate on improving consumer-term to health-concept mapping, and later work will give attention to the problem of selecting the best form of a concept for consumer health information comprehension and retrieval.
- Effects of Parkinson's Disease on Perception, Cognition, and GaitAlice Cronin-Golomb; Fiscal Year: 2013..of daily functions that is affected in PD is visuospatial ability, which enables the perceptual and cognitive comprehension and navigation of the visual environment...
- Processing Streams in the Cerebral CortexJosef P Rauschecker; Fiscal Year: 2013..The studies are also relevant for disorders such as dyslexia and autism, which include problems in language comprehension or ability for social communication...
- Aging and speech perception in complex listening environmentsKaren S Helfer; Fiscal Year: 2013..evaluation and treatment methods that focus on both the sensory and cognitive age-related changes that mediate comprehension in these situations...
- Analysis of Clustered Protocadherin Function in Mammalian NeurodevelopmentLindsay A Schwarz; Fiscal Year: 2013..full understanding of the molecules mediating synaptic partner choice is crucial for make advancements in our comprehension and treatment of these diseases...
- Isolation and proteomic analysis of the sperm annulusDR PATRICIA L MORRIS; Fiscal Year: 2010..Understanding the vital role the annulus plays in sperm function will advance our comprehension of how these mechanisms work together to make a sperm cell become a functional gamete...
- Human polymorphic variance in the Dectin-1 signaling pathwayANDREA JEAN WOLF; Fiscal Year: 2010..The absence of a similar set of genetic tools in humans has hampered our comprehension of Dectin-1's significance during fungal infection in humans...
- SULT4A1 Function in Zebrafish DevelopmentCharles N Falany; Fiscal Year: 2013..A more complete comprehension of SULT4A1 function and activity in zebrafish, as elaborated by the following specific aims, will provide ..
- Optimizing Kidney Transplant Patients'Informed Consent for Increased Risk DonorsElisa J Gordon; Fiscal Year: 2013..The objective of this study is to increase KT candidates'comprehension about IR kidneys necessary for providing informed consent...
- FUNCTIONAL NEUROANATOMY OF NORMAL AND IMPAIRED LANGUAGESteven L Small; Fiscal Year: 2012..An important source of information for language comprehension comes from the perception of action, including the movements of the mouth and hands...
- AMPLIFICATION, MIDDLE EAR PATHOLOGY AND ACADEMIC SUCCESSNICKOLA NELSON; Fiscal Year: 1993..study aims to explore the effects of classroom sound field amplification on phonological awareness, concept comprehension, and teacher ratings of educational risk among first grade children with and without middle ear pathology (..
- Improving the language and literacy skills of Spanish-English Bilingual KindergarMARIELA PAEZ; Fiscal Year: 2011..and two cores proposed in this program project is a shared model for the development of word knowledge and comprehension skills, the approaches used to promote word knowledge, and the methods used in the conduct of the research...
- Theoretically based treatment for sentence comprehension deficits in aphasiaSwathi Kiran; Fiscal Year: 2009..Diagnosis and treatment of sentence comprehension deficits in patients with aphasia is one area where disparities continue to exist even though this topic is of ..
- EYE MOVEMENTS AND LINGUISTIC COMPREHENSION IN APHASIABrooke Hallowell; Fiscal Year: 2002..that may impair their ability to respond, or to respond correctly, when traditional tests of linguistic comprehension are administered...
- Simulation Studies of Parental Permission and Childrens Assent for ResearchHolly Antal; Fiscal Year: 2009..e. comprehension, satisfaction, decision-making) that reflect the quality of the PPA process...
- Optogenetic analysis of circuits for vocal recognitionRichard Mooney; Fiscal Year: 2009..that support vocal perception is essential for treatment of the broad array of pathologies that affect speech comprehension, such as aphasic stroke, autism and developmental dyslexia...
- Computerized HIV Vaccine Trial Assent: Will It Improve Adolescent Comprehension?Diane Blake; Fiscal Year: 2009..Next, we will develop comprehension items for each element of informed assent...
- Eyetracking Comprehension Assessment System (ECAS): Improving Validity of ComprehBrooke Hallowell; Fiscal Year: 2010..of this project is to develop and test the feasibility of an eyetracking system for assessment of language comprehension in people with stroke and brain injury...
- COGNITIVE LINKAGE TO BRAIN FUNCTIONMARCEL JUST; Fiscal Year: 2001..will trace ongoing mental processes by tracking eye fixations and other behavioral measures during the comprehension of sentences, examining the role of working memory in comprehension...
- Language and Literacy Intervention for Spanish English bilinguals with SLILisa M Bedore; Fiscal Year: 2010..that direct instruction in key preliteracy skills (phonological awareness, text decoding, and text comprehension) is an effective intervention strategy leading to long lasting change in literacy skills...
- PROJECT 4 - HEALTH LITERACY AND CANCER PREVENTION;DO PEOPLE UNDERSTAND WHAT THEYKATHLEEN MICHELE MAZOR; Fiscal Year: 2011This application proposes to develop a test to assess comprehension of oral (i.e...
- The Connecticut Longitudinal Study in the Fourth DecadeSally E Shaywitz; Fiscal Year: 2010..for: "basic research onthe neurobiological underpinnings of reading fluency, vocabulary development, reading comprehension..." and "imaging studies that use a variety of imaging modalities (e.g...
- Communicating probabilities through interactive computer graphicsRita Kukafka; Fiscal Year: 2007..People of all educational levels are subject to cognitive biases when thinking about probabilities, and comprehension is further impaired by low educational level or numeracy...
- Indices of Lexical Access During Idiom ComprehensionKathleen Brumm; Fiscal Year: 2010DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): This project examines spoken language comprehension in individuals with aphasia, a language disorder acquired subsequent to stroke...
- Individual differences in memory storage and retrieval during reading comprehensiJulie A Van Dyke; Fiscal Year: 2010Reading and language comprehension requires the ability to identify relationships between linguistic units that are frequently non-adjacent. This means that comprehenders must be able to store partially interpreted material (e.g...