Genomes and Genes
Summary: The giving of advice and assistance to individuals with educational or personal problems.
Publications321 found, 100 shown here
- HIV voluntary counseling and testing and behavioral risk reduction in developing countries: a meta-analysis, 1990--2005Julie A Denison
Department of International Health, Johns Hopkins University, Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, MD, USA
AIDS Behav 12:363-73. 2008The effectiveness of HIV voluntary counseling and testing (VCT) in reducing HIV risk behaviors in developing countries was assessed using meta-analytic methods...
- Increasing the acceptability of HIV counseling and testing with three C's: convenience, confidentiality and credibilityNicole Angotti
University of Texas at Austin, TX, USA
Soc Sci Med 68:2263-70. 2009..engaged in humanitarian efforts to prevent the further spread of HIV have emphasized the importance of voluntary counseling and testing (VCT), and most high-prevalence countries now have facilities that offer testing free of charge...
- Toward universal access to HIV counseling and testing and antiretroviral treatment in Ethiopia: looking beyond HIV testing and ART initiationYibeltal Assefa
Medical Services Directorate, Ministry of Health, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
AIDS Patient Care STDS 24:521-5. 2010Expanding access to HIV counseling and testing (HCT) and antiretroviral treatment (ART) has reduced morbidity and mortality in people living with HIV/AIDS. As a result, many countries are scaling up HIV/AIDS services...
- Community-based intervention to increase HIV testing and case detection in people aged 16-32 years in Tanzania, Zimbabwe, and Thailand (NIMH Project Accept, HPTN 043): a randomised studyMichael Sweat
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, SC 29425, USA
Lancet Infect Dis 11:525-32. 2011..We aimed to assess whether HIV testing could be increased by combination of community mobilisation, mobile community-based voluntary counselling and testing (VCT), and support after testing...
- Project Accept (HPTN 043): a community-based intervention to reduce HIV incidence in populations at risk for HIV in sub-Saharan Africa and ThailandGertrude Khumalo-Sakutukwa
Center for AIDS Prevention Studies, University of California, San Francisco, 50 Beale Street, Suite 1300, San Francisco, CA 94105, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 49:422-31. 2008..Changing community norms to increase awareness of HIV status and reduce HIV-related stigma has the potential to reduce the incidence of HIV-1 infection in the developing world...
- Expanding access to voluntary HIV counselling and testing in sub-Saharan Africa: alternative approaches for improving uptake, 2001-2007Joseph K B Matovu
Rakai Health Sciences Program Uganda Virus Research Institute, Entebbe, Uganda
Trop Med Int Health 12:1315-22. 2007..We recommend that these alternative models be implemented in more settings and on a much larger scale in sub-Saharan Africa, where VCT uptake rates remain low...
- What is the impact of home-based HIV counseling and testing on the clinical status of newly enrolled adults in a large HIV care program in Western Kenya?Juddy Wachira
School of Health Physical Education and Recreation, Bloomington, USA
Clin Infect Dis 54:275-81. 2012....
- Increasing access to HIV counseling and testing through mobile services in Kenya: strategies, utilization, and cost-effectivenessKristina L Grabbe
US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Global AIDS Program, National Center for HIV, Viral Hepatitis, STD, and TB Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 54:317-23. 2010This study compares client volume, demographics, testing results, and costs of 3 "mobile" HIV counseling and testing (HCT) approaches with existing "stand-alone" HCT in Kenya...
- A randomized controlled trial comparing the effects of counseling and alarm device on HAART adherence and virologic outcomesMichael H Chung
Department of Global Health, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington, USA
PLoS Med 8:e1000422. 2011..This study compared the impact of counseling and use of an alarm device on adherence and biological outcomes in a resource-limited setting.
- A randomized trial comparing human e-mail counseling, computer-automated tailored counseling, and no counseling in an Internet weight loss programDeborah F Tate
Schools of Public Health and Medicine, Department of Health Behavior and Health Education, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC 27599, USA
Arch Intern Med 166:1620-5. 2006Several studies have shown that e-mail counseling improves weight loss achieved in self-directed Internet programs. Computer-tailored feedback offers a population-based alternative to human e-mail counseling.
- HIV testing attitudes, AIDS stigma, and voluntary HIV counselling and testing in a black township in Cape Town, South AfricaS C Kalichman
Department of Psychology, University of Connecticut, Storrs, CT 06269, USA
Sex Transm Infect 79:442-7. 2003..This study examined the relation between HIV testing history, attitudes towards testing, and AIDS stigmas...
- An incentivized HIV counseling and testing program targeting hard-to-reach unemployed men in Cape Town, South AfricaMweete D Nglazi
The Desmond Tutu HIV Centre, Institute for Infectious Disease and Molecular Medicine, and the Department of Medicine, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Cape Town, Cape Town, South Africa
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 59:e28-34. 2012In Southern Africa, men access HIV counseling and testing (HCT) services less than women. Innovative strategies are needed to increase uptake of testing among men...
- Toward a theory of motivational interviewingWilliam R Miller
Center on Alcoholism, Substance Abuse, and Addictions, MSC11 6280, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, NM 87131 0001, USA
Am Psychol 64:527-37. 2009..A resulting causal chain model links therapist training, therapist and client responses during treatment sessions, and posttreatment outcomes...
- Behavioural strategies to reduce HIV transmission: how to make them work betterThomas J Coates
UCLA Program in Global Health, Division of Infectious Diseases, University of California, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Lancet 372:669-84. 2008..Fifth, we need to get the simple things right. The fundamentals of HIV prevention need to be agreed upon, funded, implemented, measured, and achieved. That, presently, is not the case...
- Can gestational weight gain be modified by increasing physical activity and diet counseling? A meta-analysis of interventional trialsIna Streuling
Division of Epidemiology, Institute of Social Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine, Ludwig Maximilians University of Munich, Munich, Germany
Am J Clin Nutr 92:678-87. 2010..It is therefore of interest whether GWG can be modified by an intervention combining dietary counseling and physical activity.
- Behavioral counseling interventions in primary care to reduce risky/harmful alcohol use by adults: a summary of the evidence for the U.S. Preventive Services Task ForceEvelyn P Whitlock
Oregon Evidence Based Practice Center, Kaiser Permanente Center for Health Research, and Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, Oregon 97227 1110, USA
Ann Intern Med 140:557-68. 2004..Primary health care visits offer opportunities to identify and intervene with risky or harmful drinkers to reduce alcohol consumption...
- Perceived acceptability of home-based couples voluntary HIV counseling and testing in Northern TanzaniaB Njau
Kilimanjaro Christian Medical College of Tumaini University, Moshi, Tanzania
AIDS Care 24:413-9. 2012..data collection methods, a formative study was conducted to assess the acceptability of a home-based couples counseling and testing (HBCCT) approach...
- High acceptability of voluntary counselling and HIV-testing but unacceptable loss to follow up in a prevention of mother-to-child HIV transmission programme in rural Malawi: scaling-up requires a different way of actingM Manzi
Medecins Sans Frontieres Luxembourg, Thyolo District, Luxembourg, Malawi
Trop Med Int Health 10:1242-50. 2005..Thyolo District Hospital, rural Malawi...
- Sustained reduction in the incidence of type 2 diabetes by lifestyle intervention: follow-up of the Finnish Diabetes Prevention StudyJaana Lindström
Diabetes Unit, Department of Health Promotion and Chronic Disease Prevention, National Public Health Institute, Mannerheimintie 166, 00300 Helsinki, Finland
Lancet 368:1673-9. 2006..In the extended follow-up of the Finnish Diabetes Prevention Study, we assessed the extent to which the originally-achieved lifestyle changes and risk reduction remain after discontinuation of active counselling...
- Primary care: is there enough time for prevention?Kimberly S H Yarnall
Department of Community and Family Medicine, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Am J Public Health 93:635-41. 2003..We sought to determine the amount of time required for a primary care physician to provide recommended preventive services to an average patient panel...
- Lifestyle counseling for type 2 diabetes risk reduction in Dutch primary care: results of the APHRODITE study after 0.5 and 1.5 yearsPaulina W A Vermunt
University of Tilburg, Tilburg, The Netherlands
Diabetes Care 34:1919-25. 2011..CONCLUSIONS Risk factors for type 2 diabetes could be significantly reduced by lifestyle counseling in Dutch primary care...
- Effectiveness of smoking cessation interventions among adults: a systematic review of reviewsValery Lemmens
Department of Public Health, Erasmus MC, University Medical Center, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Eur J Cancer Prev 17:535-44. 2008..Comprehensive clean indoor laws increased quit rates by 12-38%. These results show and confirm that a wide array of effective smoking cessation intervention approaches and policies can have a large impact on smoking cessation rates...
- Sexual behavior of HIV discordant couples after HIV counseling and testingSusan Allen
Department of Epidemiology and International Health, School of Public Health, University of Alabama in Birmingham, 35294, USA
AIDS 17:733-40. 2003Sexual behavior following voluntary HIV counseling and testing (VCT) is described in 963 cohabiting heterosexual couples with one HIV positive and one HIV negative partner ('discordant couples')...
- Which intervention characteristics are related to more exposure to internet-delivered healthy lifestyle promotion interventions? A systematic reviewWendy Brouwer
Department of Public Health, Erasmus MC, University Medical Center Rotterdam, Rotterdam, Netherlands
J Med Internet Res 13:e2. 2011..However, there is no systematic overview of which characteristics of Internet-delivered interventions may be related to more exposure...
- Women's barriers to HIV-1 testing and disclosure: challenges for HIV-1 voluntary counselling and testingS Maman
Department of International Health, Johns Hopkins School of Hygiene and Public Health, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
AIDS Care 13:595-603. 2001..The implications of findings for the promotion of HIV-1 VCT programmes, the implementation of partner notification policies and the development of post-test support services are discussed...
- Measuring adaptations of motivational interviewing: the development and validation of the behavior change counseling index (BECCI)Claire Lane
Communication Skills Unit, Department of General Practice, University of Wales College of Medicine, Llanedeyrn Health Center, Cardiff CF23 9PN, UK
Patient Educ Couns 56:166-73. 2005..This paper reports the development of a checklist, the behavior change counseling index (BECCI)...
- Changes in sexual behavior and risk of HIV transmission after antiretroviral therapy and prevention interventions in rural UgandaRebecca Bunnell
CDC Uganda, Global AIDS Program, National Center for HIV, STD and TB Prevention, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA, USA
AIDS 20:85-92. 2006..The impact of antiretroviral therapy (ART) on sexual risk behavior and HIV transmission among HIV-infected persons in Africa is unknown...
- Uptake of home-based voluntary HIV testing in sub-Saharan Africa: a systematic review and meta-analysisKalpana Sabapathy
London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London, UK
PLoS Med 9:e1001351. 2012..Improving access to HIV testing is a key priority in scaling up HIV treatment and prevention services. Home-based voluntary counselling and testing (HBT) as an approach to delivering wide-scale HIV testing is explored here...
- Home-based voluntary HIV counselling and testing found highly acceptable and to reduce inequalitiesWilbroad Mutale
Department of Community Medicine, School of Medicine, University of Zambia, Lusaka, Zambia
BMC Public Health 10:347. 2010..We investigated the acceptability of home-based delivery of counselling and HIV testing in urban and rural populations in Zambia where VCT has been offered mostly from local clinics...
- Behavioral counseling interventions to promote a healthful diet and physical activity for cardiovascular disease prevention in adults: U.S. Preventive Services Task Force recommendation statementVirginia A Moyer
U S Preventive Services Task Force, Rockville, Maryland, USA
Ann Intern Med 157:367-71. 2012Update of the 2003 and 2002 U.S. Preventive Services Task Force (USPSTF) recommendation statements on behavioral counseling to promote a healthful diet and physical activity in adults without preexisting cardiovascular disease (CVD) or ..
- Comparing couples' and individual voluntary counseling and testing for HIV at antenatal clinics in Tanzania: a randomized trialStan Becker
Population, Family, and Reproductive Health Department, Johns Hopkins School of Public Health, 615 North Wolfe Street, E4148, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
AIDS Behav 14:558-66. 2010Voluntary counseling and testing (VCT) for couples (CVCT) is an important HIV-prevention effort in sub-Saharan Africa where a substantial proportion of HIV transmission occurs within stable partnerships...
- Type 2 diabetes prevention in the "real world": one-year results of the GOAL Implementation TrialPilvikki Absetz
Department of Health Promotion and Chronic Disease Prevention, National Public Health Institute, Mannerheimintie 166, FI 00300 Helsinki, Finland
Diabetes Care 30:2465-70. 2007..We report on the program's effectiveness as well as findings related to the program's reach, adoption, and implementation...
- Systematic review: an evaluation of major commercial weight loss programs in the United StatesAdam Gilden Tsai
University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
Ann Intern Med 142:56-66. 2005..Each year millions of Americans enroll in commercial and self-help weight loss programs. Health care providers and their obese patients know little about these programs because of the absence of systematic reviews...
- High uptake of home-based, district-wide, HIV counseling and testing in UgandaELIODA TUMWESIGYE
Integrated Community Based Initiatives, Kabwohe, Uganda
AIDS Patient Care STDS 24:735-41. 2010..Innovative measures of increasing access to HIV counseling and testing (HCT) are urgently needed so as to improve care and prevention...
- Internet-facilitated, voluntary counseling and testing (VCT) clinic-based HIV testing among men who have sex with men in ChinaHuachun Zou
Division of Health Education and Behavioral Intervention, National Center for AIDS STD Control and Prevention, Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Beijing, China
PLoS ONE 8:e51919. 2013To explore the feasibility of using Internet outreach to encourage men who have sex with men (MSM) to get tested for HIV at voluntary counseling and testing (VCT) clinics in Beijing and Urumqi, China.
- Uptake of HIV voluntary counselling and testing services in rural Tanzania: implications for effective HIV prevention and equitable access to treatmentAlison Wringe
Department of Epidemiology and Population Health, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London, UK
Trop Med Int Health 13:319-27. 2008..To describe the associations between socio-demographic, behavioural and clinical characteristics and the use of HIV voluntary counselling and testing (VCT) services among residents in a rural ward in Tanzania...
- Health outcomes of bereavementMargaret Stroebe
Research Institute for Psychology and Health, Utrecht University, Utrecht, Netherlands
Lancet 370:1960-73. 2007..We also assess the effectiveness of psychological intervention programmes. Intervention should be targeted at high-risk people and those with complicated grief or bereavement-related depression and stress disorders...
- Primary care nurses struggle with lifestyle counseling in diabetes care: a qualitative analysisRenate Jansink
Scientific Institute for Quality of Healthcare, Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Centre, P O Box 9101, 6500 HB Nijmegen, The Netherlands
BMC Fam Pract 11:41. 2010..Promoting lifestyle behavior change require that nurses shift from simple advice giving to a more counseling-based approach...
- Voluntary counseling and testing (VCT) for changing HIV-related risk behavior in developing countriesVirginia A Fonner
Department of International Health, Social and Behavioral Interventions Program, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Cochrane Database Syst Rev 9:CD001224. 2012Voluntary counseling and testing (VCT) continues to play a critical role in HIV prevention, care and treatment...
- Interventions to promote walking: systematic reviewDavid Ogilvie
Medical Research Council Social and Public Health Sciences Unit, Glasgow G12 8RZ
BMJ 334:1204. 2007..To assess the effects of interventions to promote walking in individuals and populations...
- MobileMums: a randomized controlled trial of an SMS-based physical activity interventionBrianna S Fjeldsoe
School of Population School of Psychology, The University of Queensland, Brisbane, Australia
Ann Behav Med 39:101-11. 2010..Postnatal women (<12 months postpartum) are at increased risk of physical inactivity...
- Prevention of type 2 diabetes by lifestyle intervention in an Australian primary health care setting: Greater Green Triangle (GGT) Diabetes Prevention ProjectTiina Laatikainen
Greater Green Triangle University Department of Rural Health, Flinders and Deakin Universities, PO Box 423, Warrnambool, Victoria, 3280, Australia
BMC Public Health 7:249. 2007..Randomised controlled trials demonstrate a 60% reduction in type 2 diabetes incidence through lifestyle modification programmes. The aim of this study is to determine whether such programmes are feasible in primary health care...
- Opt-out provider-initiated HIV testing and counselling in primary care outpatient clinics in ZambiaStephanie M Topp
Centre for Infectious Disease Research in Zambia, Lusaka, Zambia
Bull World Health Organ 89:328-335A. 2011....
- Acceptance of and barriers to voluntary HIV counselling and testing among adults in Guizhou province, ChinaWei Ma
National Center for AIDS STD Control and Prevention, Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Beijing, China
AIDS 21:S129-35. 2007....
- Human immunodeficiency virus infection and fertility care in the United Kingdom: demand and supplyLeila C G Frodsham
Assisted Conception Unit, Chelsea and Westminster Hospital, London, United Kingdom
Fertil Steril 85:285-9. 2006..To collect data on the demand and provision of fertility care in HIV-infected couples in the United Kingdom and data on the etiology of subfertility in this population...
- HIV-positive women report more lifetime partner violence: findings from a voluntary counseling and testing clinic in Dar es Salaam, TanzaniaSuzanne Maman
Department of International Health, Johns Hopkins University Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Am J Public Health 92:1331-7. 2002..Experiences of partner violence were compared between HIV-positive and HIV-negative women...
- Fertility intentions and reproductive health care needs of people living with HIV in Cape Town, South Africa: implications for integrating reproductive health and HIV care servicesDiane Cooper
Women s Health Research Unit, School of Public Health and Family Medicine, University of Cape Town, Anzio Road Observatory, 7925, Cape Town, South Africa
AIDS Behav 13:38-46. 2009..There is an urgent need for intervention models to integrate HIV care with sexual and reproduction health counseling and services that account for the diverse reproductive needs of these populations.
- Voluntary HIV counselling and testing among men in rural western Uganda: implications for HIV preventionFrancis M Bwambale
Clinical Epidemiology Unit, Makerere University, POBox 7072, Kampala, Uganda
BMC Public Health 8:263. 2008..We therefore conducted a study to determine the prevalence and factors associated with VCT use among men in Bukonzo West health sub-district, Kasese district...
- Male perspectives on incorporating men into antenatal HIV counseling and testingDavid A Katz
Department of Epidemiology, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington, USA
PLoS ONE 4:e7602. 2009Male partner involvement in antenatal voluntary HIV counseling and testing (VCT) has been shown to increase uptake of interventions to reduce the risk of HIV transmission in resource-limited settings...
- The costs and effectiveness of four HIV counseling and testing strategies in UgandaNick Menzies
US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for HIV, Viral Hepatitis, STD, and TB Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
AIDS 23:395-401. 2009HIV counseling and testing (HCT) is a key intervention for HIV/AIDS control, and new strategies have been developed for expanding coverage in developing countries. We compared costs and outcomes of four HCT strategies in Uganda.
- Overcoming barriers to HIV testing: preferences for new strategies among clients of a needle exchange, a sexually transmitted disease clinic, and sex venues for men who have sex with menFreya Spielberg
University of Washington, Seattle, WA, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 32:318-27. 2003..To determine strategies to overcome barriers to HIV testing among persons at risk...
- Motivational interviewing in health settings: a reviewEileen Britt
Department of Psychology, University of Canterbury, Private Bag 4800, Christchurch, New Zealand
Patient Educ Couns 53:147-55. 2004..The current paper provides an overview of MI, with particular reference to its application to health problems...
- Voluntary counselling and testing: uptake, impact on sexual behaviour, and HIV incidence in a rural Zimbabwean cohortLorraine Sherr
Royal Free Hospital, University College London, UK
AIDS 21:851-60. 2007..To examine the determinants of uptake of voluntary counselling and testing (VCT) services, to assess changes in sexual risk behaviour following VCT, and to compare HIV incidence amongst testers and non-testers...
- Web-based weight loss in primary care: a randomized controlled trialGary G Bennett
Department of Society, Human Development, and Health, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Obesity (Silver Spring) 18:308-13. 2010..Patients also participated in four (two in-person and two telephonic) counseling sessions with a health coach. Intent-to-treat analysis showed greater weight loss at 3 months (-2...
- Increasing uptake of HIV testing and counseling among the poorest in sub-Saharan countries through home-based service provisionStephane Helleringer
Population Studies Center, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 51:185-93. 2009Uptake of HIV testing and counseling (HTC) is lower among members of the poorest households in sub-Saharan countries, thereby creating significant inequalities in access to HTC and possibly antiretroviral treatment.
- Multiple behavioral risk factor interventions in primary care. Summary of research evidenceMichael G Goldstein
Bayer Institute for Health Care Communication, West Haven, Connecticut, USA
Am J Prev Med 27:61-79. 2004....
- A randomized trial of parental behavioral counseling and cotinine feedback for lowering environmental tobacco smoke exposure in children with asthma: results of the LET'S Manage Asthma trialSandra R Wilson
Department of Health Services Research, Palo Alto Medical Foundation Research Institute, 795 El Camino Real, Ames Bldg, Palo Alto, CA 94301, USA
Chest 139:581-90. 2011..Secondhand tobacco smoke exposure impairs the control of pediatric asthma. Evidence of the efficacy of interventions to reduce children's exposure and improve disease outcomes has been inconclusive...
- Effectiveness of weight management interventions in children: a targeted systematic review for the USPSTFEvelyn P Whitlock
Center for Health Research, Kaiser Permanente, 3800 N Interstate Ave, Portland, OR 97227, USA
Pediatrics 125:e396-418. 2010..Targeted systematic review to support the updated US Preventive Services Task Force (USPSTF) recommendation on screening for obesity in children and adolescents...
- Prevalence and associated factors of intention to participate in HIV voluntary counseling and testing for the first time among men who have sex with men in Hong Kong, ChinaJoseph T F Lau
Centre for Health Behaviors Research, School of Public Health and Primary Care, Faculty of Medicine, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong Centre for Medical Anthropology and Behavioral Health, Sun Yat Sen University, Guangzhou, China CUHK Shenzhen Research Institute, Shenzhen, China Electronic address
Prev Med 57:813-8. 2013We investigated the prevalence and associated factors of men who have sex with men (MSM) and had never participated in Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) voluntary counseling and testing (VCT) but intended to do so in the next six months.
- A randomized trial on acceptability of voluntary HIV counselling and testingKnut Fylkesnes
Centre for International Health, University of Bergen, Bergen, Norway
Trop Med Int Health 9:566-72. 2004..To examine factors affecting readiness for and acceptability of voluntary HIV counselling and testing (VCT)...
- Institutionalizing provider-initiated HIV testing and counselling for children: an observational case study from ZambiaJane N Mutanga
Livingstone General Hospital, Livingstone, Zambia
PLoS ONE 7:e29656. 2012..This article examines efforts to scale-up paediatric PITC at a second-level hospital located in Zambia's Southern Province, and serving a catchment area of 1.2 million people...
- Vulnerability of women in an African setting: lessons for mother-to-child HIV transmission prevention programmesPhilippe Gaillard
International Centre for Reproductive Health, University of Ghent, Ghent, Belgium
AIDS 16:937-9. 2002..To increase the uptake of interventions to reduce perinatal HIV transmission safely, we recommend the involvement of partners in HIV testing. In addition, the counselling of women has to address methods and skills to deal with violence...
- Universal testing and treatment as an HIV prevention strategy: research questions and methodsRichard Hayes
MRC Tropical Epidemiology Group, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, Keppel Street, London WC1E 7HT, UK
Curr HIV Res 9:429-45. 2011..If these studies produce promising results, there would be a strong case for a cluster-randomised trial to measure the impact of a UTT intervention on HIV incidence, and we consider the main design features of such a trial...
- Behavioral counseling after screening for alcohol misuse in primary care: a systematic review and meta-analysis for the U.S. Preventive Services Task ForceDaniel E Jonas
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Department of Medicine, 5034 Old Clinic Building, CB 7110, Chapel Hill, NC 27599, USA
Ann Intern Med 157:645-54. 2012..Alcohol misuse, which includes the full spectrum from risky drinking to alcohol dependence, is a leading cause of preventable death in the United States...
- Women's views on consent, counseling and confidentiality in PMTCT: a mixed-methods study in four African countriesAnita Hardon
Amsterdam Institute for Social Science Research, University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
BMC Public Health 12:26. 2012..This paper focuses on the quality of information provision and counseling and disclosure patterns in Burkina Faso, Kenya, Malawi and Uganda to identify how services can be improved to ..
- Do HIV-infected women want to discuss reproductive plans with providers, and are those conversations occurring?Sarah Finocchario-Kessler
Department of International Health, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, Maryland 21205, USA
AIDS Patient Care STDS 24:317-23. 2010..HIV-infected women and their HIV providers about childbearing plans, and to identify unmet need for reproductive counseling. We conducted a cross-sectional, audio computer-assisted self-interview (ACASI) among 181 predominately African ..
- Effect of physician-delivered nutrition counseling training and an office-support program on saturated fat intake, weight, and serum lipid measurements in a hyperlipidemic population: Worcester Area Trial for Counseling in Hyperlipidemia (WATCH)I S Ockene
Department of Medicine, University of Massachusetts Medical School, Worcester 01655, USA
Arch Intern Med 159:725-31. 1999To evaluate the effectiveness of a training program for physician-delivered nutrition counseling, alone and in combination with an office-support program, on dietary fat intake, weight, and blood low-density lipoprotein cholesterol levels ..
- A meta-analysis of the effectiveness of alternative HIV counseling and testing methods to increase knowledge of HIV statusAngela B Hutchinson
Division of HIV AIDS Prevention, National Center for HIV, STD, and TB Prevention, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30306, USA
AIDS 20:1597-604. 2006Alternatives to conventional HIV counseling and testing (HIV-CT) have been used to improve receipt of HIV test results.
- Effect of serotesting with counselling on condom use and seroconversion among HIV discordant couples in AfricaS Allen
Department of Pathology, University of California, San Francisco
BMJ 304:1605-9. 1992..Confidential HIV serotesting with counselling caused a large increase in condom use and was associated with a lower rate of new HIV infections. HIV testing is a promising intervention for preventing the spread of HIV in African cities...
- Evaluation of a home-based voluntary counselling and testing intervention in rural UgandaBrent Wolff
Medical Research Council, P O 49, Entebbe, Uganda
Health Policy Plan 20:109-16. 2005....
- Telephone counseling for physical activity and diet in primary care patientsElizabeth Eakin
Cancer Prevention Research Centre, School of Population Health, The University of Queensland, Queensland, Australia
Am J Prev Med 36:142-9. 2009..The delivery of effective interventions to assist patients to improve their physical activity and dietary behaviors is a challenge in the busy primary care setting...
- Male involvement in antenatal HIV counseling and testing: exploring men's perceptions in rural MalawiPauliina Aarnio
Department for International Health, Medical School, University of Tampere, Tampere, Finland
AIDS Care 21:1537-46. 2009Antenatal care can act as an excellent tool to improve access to HIV counseling and testing services. This paper investigates an issue that may weaken its potential, namely lack of male involvement...
- Effect of telephone exercise counseling on frailty in older veterans: project LIFEMatthew J Peterson
Geriatric Research, Education and Clinical Center, Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Durham, NC 27705, USA
Am J Mens Health 1:326-34. 2007This study sought to determine if telephone exercise counseling attenuates frailty in older, male veterans through increased levels of physical activity. Eighty-one elderly, male veterans (age = 78.4 +/- 4...
- Meta-analysis: the effect of dietary counseling for weight lossMichael L Dansinger
Tufts New England Medical Center, Boston, Massachusetts 02111, USA
Ann Intern Med 147:41-50. 2007Dietary and lifestyle modification efforts are the primary treatments for people who are obese or overweight. The effect of dietary counseling on long-term weight change is unclear.
- Behavioral counseling to promote physical activity and a healthful diet to prevent cardiovascular disease in adults: a systematic review for the U.S. Preventive Services Task ForceJennifer S Lin
Center for Health Research, Kaiser Permanente Northwest, Portland, Oregon 97227, USA
Ann Intern Med 153:736-50. 2010..Poor diet and lack of physical activity can worsen cardiovascular health, yet most Americans do not meet diet and physical activity recommendations...
- A randomized trial of the effects of dietary counseling on gestational weight gain and glucose metabolism in obese pregnant womenS Wolff
Department of Human Nutrition, Faculty of Life Science, Copenhagen University, Copenhagen, Denmark
Int J Obes (Lond) 32:495-501. 2008..Can gestational weight gain in obese women be restricted by 10-h dietary consultations and does this restriction impact the pregnancy-induced changes in glucose metabolism?..
- Active Mothers Postpartum: a randomized controlled weight-loss intervention trialTruls Østbye
Department of Community and Family Medicine, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
Am J Prev Med 37:173-80. 2009..Pregnancy may contribute to overweight and obesity...
- Smoking cessation via the internet: a randomized clinical trial of an internet intervention as adjuvant treatment in a smoking cessation interventionSandra J Japuntich
Center for Tobacco Research and Intervention, University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health, 1930 Monroe Street, Suite 200, Madison, WI 53711, USA
Nicotine Tob Res 8:S59-67. 2006..Smokers were randomly assigned to receive either bupropion plus counseling alone, or bupropion and counseling in addition to 12 weeks of access to the Comprehensive Health Enhancement ..
- Sexuality after treatment for early prostate cancer: exploring the meanings of "erectile dysfunction"B G Bokhour
Center for Health Quality, Outcomes, and Economic Research, Edith Nourse Rogers Memorial Veterans Hospital, Bedford, MA 01730, USA
J Gen Intern Med 16:649-55. 2001..To explore perceptions of the impact of erectile dysfunction on men who had undergone definitive treatment for early nonmetastatic prostate cancer...
- Factors related to female sex workers' willingness to utilize VCT service: a qualitative study in Jinan city, northern ChinaYing Wang
Department of Diseases Control, Institute of Viral Diseases Control and Prevention, Chinese CDC, Beijing, 100052, China
AIDS Behav 13:866-72. 2009..Free voluntary HIV counseling and testing (VCT) has been offered in recent years; however, its utilization rate is low...
- Prevention of mother-to-child transmission and voluntary counseling and testing programme data: what is their utility for HIV surveillance?Wolfgang Hladik
Global AIDS Program, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA, USA
AIDS 19:S19-24. 2005..The rapid expansion of the prevention of mother-to-child transmission (PMTCT) and voluntary counseling and testing (VCT) programmes prompts the question regarding their utility for HIV surveillance and their ..
- Physical activity counseling in maternity and child health care - a controlled trialMinna Aittasalo
The UKK Institute for Health Promotion Research, Tampere, Finland
BMC Womens Health 8:14. 2008The purpose of the study is to examine the effects and feasibility of individual physical activity (PA) counseling in maternity and child health clinics in Finland.
- Dramatic and sustained increase in HIV-testing rates among antenatal attendees in Eastern Uganda after a policy change from voluntary counselling and testing to routine counselling and testing for HIV: a retrospective analysis of hospital records, 2002-20Robert Byamugisha
Referral Hospital, Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Mbale Regional Referral Hospital, Mbale, Uganda
BMC Health Serv Res 10:290. 2010....
- Antenatal couple counseling increases uptake of interventions to prevent HIV-1 transmissionCarey Farquhar
Department of Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98104 249, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 37:1620-6. 2004To determine effect of partner involvement and couple counseling on uptake of interventions to prevent HIV-1 transmission, women attending a Nairobi antenatal clinic were encouraged to return with partners for voluntary HIV-1 counseling ..
- Provider-initiated HIV testing and counseling in low- and middle-income countries: a systematic reviewCaitlin E Kennedy
Social and Behavioral Interventions Program, Department of International Health, Room E5033, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, 615 North Wolfe Street, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
AIDS Behav 17:1571-90. 2013Provider-initiated HIV testing and counseling (PITC) has expanded since 2007 WHO guidelines were established. We conducted a systematic review of PITC in low- and middle-income countries...
- Low male partner participation in antenatal HIV counselling and testing in northern Tanzania: implications for preventive programsS E Msuya
Department of International Health, University of Oslo, Norway
AIDS Care 20:700-9. 2008..Within PMTCT programs, counseling should emphasize the advantages of partner participation to encourage women to inform and convince male partners ..
- Reasons for loss to follow-up among mothers registered in a prevention-of-mother-to-child transmission program in rural MalawiL D Bwirire
Medecins Sans Frontieres, Thyolo District, Malawi
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 102:1195-200. 2008..Mothers attending antenatal services need to be better informed and supported, at both community and health-provider level...
- Choosing HIV Counseling and Testing Strategies for Outreach Settings: A Randomized TrialFreya Spielberg
University of Washington, Seattle, WA, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 38:348-55. 2005In surveys, clients have expressed preferences for alternatives to traditional HIV counseling and testing. Few data exist to document how offering such alternatives affects acceptance of HIV testing and receipt of test results.
- Comparison of home and clinic-based HIV testing among household members of persons taking antiretroviral therapy in Uganda: results from a randomized trialEric Lugada
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Uganda, Global AIDS Program, National Center for HIV, STD and TB Prevention, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Entebbe, Uganda
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 55:245-52. 2010Due to high rates of undiagnosed and untreated HIV infection in Africa, we compared HIV counseling and testing (VCT) uptake among household members of patients receiving antiretroviral therapy.
- Linkage to HIV care and survival following inpatient HIV counseling and testingRhoda K Wanyenze
Makerere University School of Public Health, Kampala, Uganda
AIDS Behav 15:751-60. 2011..In 2004 we conducted a randomized trial among medical inpatients in Mulago Hospital to assess the impact of HIV counseling and testing (HCT) on linkage to care and survival...
- Design and dissemination of the MOVE! Weight-Management Program for VeteransLinda S Kinsinger
VHA National Center for Health Promotion and Disease Prevention, 3022 Croasdaile Dr, Ste 200, Durham, NC 27705, USA
Prev Chronic Dis 6:A98. 2009..Practitioners in the Veterans Health Administration (VHA) identified comprehensive weight management as a high priority in early 2001...
- Individual, household and community factors associated with HIV test refusal in rural MalawiKatharina Kranzer
London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London, UK
Trop Med Int Health 13:1341-50. 2008..To investigate individual, household and community factors associated with HIV test refusal in a counselling and testing programme offered at population level in rural Malawi...
- Initial outcomes of provider-initiated routine HIV testing and counseling during outpatient care at a rural Ugandan hospital: risky sexual behavior, partner HIV testing, disclosure, and HIV care seekingSusan M Kiene
Departments of Medicine and Community Health, The Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University, Providence, Rhode Island, USA
AIDS Patient Care STDS 24:117-26. 2010..To fully realize the potential HIV prevention benefits of routine HIV testing an emphasis on tailored risk-reduction counseling may be necessary.
- Testing a self-determination theory intervention for motivating tobacco cessation: supporting autonomy and competence in a clinical trialGeoffrey C Williams
Department of Medicine, University of Rochester, Rochester, NY 14627, USA
Health Psychol 25:91-101. 2006..The causal role of autonomy support in the internalization of autonomous motivation, perceived competence, and smoking cessation was supported...
- Screening and behavioral counseling interventions in primary care to reduce alcohol misuse: U.S. preventive services task force recommendation statementVirginia A Moyer
American Board of Pediatrics, Chapel Hill, North Carolina, USA
Ann Intern Med 159:210-8. 2013Update of the 2004 U.S. Preventive Services Task Force (USPSTF) recommendation statement on screening and behavioral counseling interventions in primary care to reduce alcohol misuse.
- Behavioral counseling to prevent skin cancer: a systematic review for the U.S. Preventive Services Task ForceJennifer S Lin
Center for Health Research, Kaiser Permanente Northwest, 3800 North Interstate Avenue, Portland, OR 97227, USA
Ann Intern Med 154:190-201. 2011..More than 2 million cases of skin cancer are diagnosed annually in the United States, and melanoma incidence is increasing...
- Get moving! Physical activity counseling in primary careJane Anthony Peterson
University of Missouri, Kansas City, Missouri, USA
J Am Acad Nurse Pract 19:349-57. 2007The purpose of this article is to present strategies to improve the effectiveness of physical activity counseling for adults in primary care settings...
- Helping caregivers of persons with dementia: which interventions work and how large are their effects?Martin Pinquart
Department of Developmental Psychology and Center for Applied Developmental Science, Friedrich Schiller University, Jena, Germany
Int Psychogeriatr 18:577-95. 2006..In recent years, many different forms of interventions for caregivers of people with dementia have been developed. However, their results have been, in part, inconclusive...
- Acupuncture, Counseling, and Usual care for Depression (ACUDep): study protocol for a randomized controlled trialHugh MacPherson
Department of Health Sciences, University of York, York YO10 5DD, United Kingdom
Trials 13:209. 2012The evidence on the effect of acupuncture or counseling for depression is not conclusive yet is sufficient to warrant further research...
- Brief opportunistic smoking cessation interventions: a systematic review and meta-analysis to compare advice to quit and offer of assistancePaul Aveyard
UK Centre for Tobacco Control Studies, Primary Care Clinical Sciences, University of Birmingham, Birmingham, UK
Addiction 107:1066-73. 2012..This study aimed to assess the effects of opportunistic brief physician advice to stop smoking and offer of assistance on incidence of attempts to stop and quit success in smokers not selected by motivation to quit...
- Impact of a nutritional counseling program on prevention of HAART-related metabolic and morphologic abnormalitiesLuara B Almeida
School of Public Health, University of Sao Paulo, Avenida Doutor Arnaldo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
AIDS Care 23:755-63. 2011..The present study evaluated the impact of a nutritional counseling program on prevention of morphologic and metabolic changes in patients living with HIV/AIDS receiving HAART...
- Prevention of Complications in ThalassemiaElliott P Vichinsky; Fiscal Year: 2011..of thalassemia and its complications have created an increased demand for patient services, education, and counseling statewide...
- Enhanced iron removal with peptide linked chelators targeted to ferritinElizabeth C Theil; Fiscal Year: 2010..Combined with the small impact, currently, of prevention (genetic counseling) there are a large number of affected births worldwide...
- BIOCHEMISTRY OF PRE-MRNA SPLICINGAdrian R Krainer; Fiscal Year: 2010..Information gained from these basic studies already informs genetic counseling and phenotypic-risk assessment in the clinic, yet there is much room for improvement in predicting genotype-..
- VitC to Decrease Effects of Smoking in Pregnancy on Infant Lung Function-CCC-LeadCYNTHIA T MCEVOY; Fiscal Year: 2013..this project will support the addition of a simple, safe, and inexpensive adjunct to current smoking cessation counseling that would significantly decrease the impact of smoking during pregnancy on child respiratory health both in the ..
- SPEAKER TRAVEL AND SCIENTIFIC SESSION SUPPORT FOR THE TERATOLOGY SOCIETY 50TH Christina Chambers; Fiscal Year: 2011..clinic, including prenatal medicine, pediatrics, obstetrics, neonatology, medical genetics, and teratogen risk counseling. For the past 49 years the Teratology Society has gathered annually to exchange ideas and the latest ..
- Comparative effectiveness of diabetes prevention strategies in women with GDMAssiamira Ferrara; Fiscal Year: 2010..Intervention patients will be offered a postpartum lifestyle curriculum of individual telephone counseling augmented with e-mails and an interactive study website...
- PRE- AND POSTGRADUATE TRAINING IN MOLECULAR HEMATOLOGYJ Evan Sadler; Fiscal Year: 2013..D. degree may benefit from 3-4 years of postdoctoral training. Trainees receive intensive mentoring and career counseling, and participate in coursework, journal clubs, and seminars...
- Diet Quality and CVD Risk Factors in a Family Based Weight Management StudyAlice H Lichtenstein; Fiscal Year: 2013..During the one-year intervention period social support and tailored individualized counseling will be provided to the families, augmented with telephone calls and home visits addressing barriers to ..
- GENETICS OF DELAYED PUBERTYLawrence C Layman; Fiscal Year: 2013..that NELF and CHD7 mutations cause autosomal dominant disease will directly lead to improved genetic counseling. Characterization of the basic function of NELF and CHD7 will provide novel information related to the ..
- Reducing Preterm Births in Underserved Pregnant WomenJAMES G CHRISTIAN; Fiscal Year: 2011..tract infections and substance use;(2) provide her with tailored advice on reducing her risks;(3) provide counseling suggestions and action planning tools for that woman's physician or certified nurse midwife specifically ..
- Investigating the pathogenesis of CoQ10 deficienciesCatarina M Quinzii; Fiscal Year: 2013..Knowing the cause of CoQ10 deficiency will likely enhance our scientific knowledge of CoQ10 biosynthesis, and will provide molecular tests for accurate genetic counseling, prenatal diagnosis, and more rapid initiation of the therapy.
- Community Ambulation Following Hip FractureJay Magaziner; Fiscal Year: 2013..Patients in both groups will receive supplemental vitamin D3, calcium, a multivitamin and nutritional counseling to promote weight stability and adequate nutrient intake...
- Identification of Disease-Causing Mutations in SCID Using Exome-Wide SequencingJoseph L Roberts; Fiscal Year: 2010..cohort of 29 patients is crucial for: 1) better understanding of immune system development and function;2) genetic counseling and prenatal diagnosis;and 3) possible future application of gene therapy to the treatment of these infants.
- Translational Diebetes Prevention in GDMAssiamira Ferrara; Fiscal Year: 2013..The intervention will be delivered via individual telephone contacts and brief in-person counseling sessions augmented with e-mails and a website...
- Innate immunity predictors of HIV: the role of contraception, pregnancy and HSV-2Charles Morrison; Fiscal Year: 2013..groups have expressed concern that the WHO statement is insufficient and difficult to translate into effective counseling for women...
- Self-Determination Theory and Lifestyle Behaviors in Barrett's Esophagus PatientsHODA J BADR; Fiscal Year: 2010..In fact, lifestyle counseling to achieve a healthy body weight, engage in physical activity, stop smoking, and refrain from drinking alcohol ..
- Randomized Trial of a Postpartum Diabetes Prevention Program for Hispanic WomenLisa Chasan-Taber; Fiscal Year: 2013..Multimodal contacts (i.e., in-person, telephone counseling, and mailed print-based materials) will be used to deliver the intervention from randomization (29 wks gestation)..
- Biomedical Computing Support of Cancer Control and SurveillanceDAVID RONEY; Fiscal Year: 2009..of interventions in areas such as tobacco use, dietary behavior, sun protection, decision making, and counseling about testing for cancer susceptibility and participation in cancer screening...
- Predictors of Prenatal Care Providers Counseling Women on Tobacco Use/ExposureBETH LEONG PINELES; Fiscal Year: 2013..A vital component of tobacco education and counseling in the U.S...
- Motivational Incentives to Reduce Secondhand Smoke in NICU Infants'HomesAngela L Stotts; Fiscal Year: 2013..The MI+ intervention will consist of 4 one-hour counseling sessions (2 in the hospital;2 in the home post-discharge) and incentives for both session attendance and ..
- Integrated Treatment for Smoking Cessation &Anxiety in People with HIVMichael J Zvolensky; Fiscal Year: 2013..This is an interdisciplinary research proposal that involves collaboration between clinical psychologists, physicians, and mental health/HIV counselors. ..
- Planning a clinical trial of Flash-heated breast milk to decrease morbidity, imprCaroline J Chantry; Fiscal Year: 2010..In the study we are planning, the primary aim will be to determine if infants whose mothers receive counseling on heat- treating expressed breast milk once other foods have been introduced are less likely to become infected ..
- Exercise Intervention for SmokingMichael J Zvolensky; Fiscal Year: 2012..abstract_text> ..
- Project LOVE: Preventing Adolescent Dating Violence among Rural African AmericansDionne Smith Coker-Appiah; Fiscal Year: 2013..This preparation occurred through my doctoral training in Counseling Psychology, Postdoctoral Fellowship in Public Health, W. K...
- Genetics and Genomics of the yidC paralogs in Streptococcus mutansSARA MARIE RASER PALMER; Fiscal Year: 2013..of gene regulation and genome-scale analytical techniques, while obtaining the mentoring and career development counseling to facilitate her transition to an independent research career...
- Maternal genitourinary infections and adverse perinatal outcomesAbdullah Hel Baqui; Fiscal Year: 2013..For all women enrolled in the study, CHWs will conduct 2 antenatal and 4 postnatal home visits to provide counseling and selected services, and refer mothers or newborns with symptoms of serious illness to the sub-district ..
- Novel Immunodeficiency caused by TFRC MutationRAIF SALIM GEHA; Fiscal Year: 2013..TfR1 surface expression, early intervention with hematopoietic stem cell transplantation (HSCT), and genetic counseling. The proposed studies of the mutation will be applicable to PIDs with a phenotype similar to that of TfR1 ..
- Mitochondrial Gene TherapyShoukhrat M Mitalipov; Fiscal Year: 2013..heteroplasmic state of the mtDNA and associated threshold effects, it is difficult to provide accurate genetic counseling based on preimplantation or prenatal genetic diagnoses...
- Genetic hearing screening for newbornsXi Lin; Fiscal Year: 2009..who are screened positive by physiology-based methods is a key requirement for further treatment, clinical counseling and disease management. Deafness genes are extremely heterogeneous...
- Reducing Breast Cancer Recurrence with Weight Loss: A Vanguard TrialCheryl L Rock; Fiscal Year: 2013..The weight loss intervention utilizes a cognitive-behavioral group-based program, telephone counseling and home-based support, developed and tested in previous successful studies conducted by the project ..
- POSTDOCTORAL TRAINING IN TUMOR BIOLOGYMichael L Cleary; Fiscal Year: 2013..trainees: 1) meet annually with a small committee of Program and Departmental faculty for mentoring and career counseling;2) receive formal instruction in biomedical ethics, including guidelines for use of human and animal subjects;3) ..
- Placental shape features, gestational timing and maternal and infant healthCarolyn M Salafia; Fiscal Year: 2011..Another clinical use would be in pre-conceptual counseling and surveillance of subsequent pregnancies, as preeclampsia and prematurity can recur...
- Clinical center for the study of neuroprotection from PDJoseph Jankovic; Fiscal Year: 2013..Jankovic to ensure timely, accurate and complete collection of data and providing educational, counseling, and other support for the subjects and their care giver...
- Role of LHX3 Protein Isoforms in Pituitary DevelopmentSIMON JAMES RHODES; Fiscal Year: 2012..the clinic through established collaborations with physicians, permitting new diagnostic tests, allowing genetic counseling of affected families, and facilitating improved treatment of the patients...
- Sun protection Internet-based program for kidney transplant recipientsJune K Robinson; Fiscal Year: 2013..Currently, sun protection counseling, which is usually provided during the acute post-operative period, is not performed when KTRs are ready to ..
- Reducing Weight and Diabetes Risk in an Underserved PopulationCarla A Green; Fiscal Year: 2012..If the results are positive, it could help people with mental illness improve their health and reduce their diabetes risk. ..
- Workplace Wellness Initiatives to Combat ObesityJASON PERRY BLOCK; Fiscal Year: 2013..Intensive individual- level interventions, using behavioral counseling and educational initiatives that target one individual or a small group of individuals at a time, can lead to ..
- Virtual World Health Behavior Counseling for Patients with DiabetesJOHN MOORE contact WIECHA; Fiscal Year: 2010..Title: VW-HBCPD: Virtual World Health Behavior Counseling for Patients with Diabetes Type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM) is a serious public health concern and its prevalence ..
- The Effects of Lung Transplant on Disability and Health-Related Quality of LifeJonathan Paul Singer; Fiscal Year: 2013..This contribution will permit clinicians to provide data- driven preoperative counseling on the trajectory, magnitude, and durability of reduced disability and improved HRQL that can be anticipated ..
- Faith-Based Approaches to Treating Hypertension and Colon Cancer PreventionHayley S Thompson; Fiscal Year: 2013..Participants in the MINT lifestyle intervention arm will attend one face-to-face counseling followed by 8 sessions of telephone-based MINT sessions over the next 6 months...
- Randomized Lifestyle Intervention in Overweight and Obese Pregnant Hispanic WomenLisa Chasan-Taber; Fiscal Year: 2013..Multimodal contacts (i.e., in-person, telephone counseling, and mailed print-based materials) will be used to deliver the intervention during pregnancy (12 wks gestation ..
- South Carolina Study for Adolescents and Young Adults with Rare ConditionsSUZANNE W MCDERMOTT; Fiscal Year: 2013..and specialty of health care provider by specialty, physical and occupational therapy, speech/language therapy, counseling and other services)...
- Outcomes of Community Naturopathic Medical Care for Type 2 DiabetesDaniel C Cherkin; Fiscal Year: 2010..diabetes and other chronic conditions by trying to empower them to take responsibility for their health through counseling about healthy lifestyles...
- Comparative Effectiveness of Post-Discharge Strategies for Hospitalized SmokersNancy A Rigotti; Fiscal Year: 2013..Service Smoking Cessation Guideline recommends offering effective treatment that includes both medication and counseling to smokers in all health care settings, including hospitals...
- Intestinal satiation in Roux-en-Y gastric bypass rats: brain mechanisms and sex dThomas Alexander Lutz; Fiscal Year: 2013..Thus, the work (1) should help inform behavioral and nutritional counseling for RYGB patients, (2) may suggest strategies for improvement in the RYGB technique, and (3) should provide ..
- OEF/OIF Veterans with PTSD in Mental Health Residential Treatment ProgramsEric Slade; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Identification of Novel Genes for Congenital Diaphragmatic HerniaWendy K Chung; Fiscal Year: 2012..genetic diagnostic methods and provide more accurate clinical prognostic information that can improve genetic counseling. We will accomplish this through the following specific aims: 1) Obtain diaphragm, skin, blood, and when ..
- The Role of THAP1 in DystoniaMark S Ledoux; Fiscal Year: 2013..This work will have immediate clinical ramifications in the context of genetic testing and counseling. Recent studies in humans and animal models strongly suggest that DYT1, DYT6 and other forms of dystonia may be ..
- Integrated Smoking Cessation and Mood Management for Cardiac PatientsAndrew M Busch; Fiscal Year: 2013..However, to date, no counseling treatment has been designed to target smoking cessation and manage mood in this population...
- Motivational Interviewing and Physical Activity Behavior Change in ArthritisLinda Ehrlich-Jones; Fiscal Year: 2012..focusing on motivational interviewing has provided background as to the potential benefit of this type of counseling style in helping clients change their behavior...
- Enhancing cancer outreach for low-income adults with innovative smoking cessationDamon J Vidrine; Fiscal Year: 2013..approach, consisting of the standard care components plus a single health feedback and motivational interviewing counseling session and a cell phone-delivered text/graphical messaging component;and an Intensive Care (IC) approach, ..
- Surveillance and Epidemiologic Research of Duchenne and Becker Muscular DystrophyCHARLOTTE MARIE DRUSCHEL; Fiscal Year: 2010..will help us understand (1) the burden of disease on society and (2) if and how various factors such as genetic counseling and changes in management/treatment of DBMD, particularly prednisone therapy, are influencing prevalence and ..
- SINGLE SUTURE CRANIOSYNOSTOSIS: CANDIDATE GENE AND PATHWAY DISCOVERYMichael L Cunningham; Fiscal Year: 2013..and management of isolated craniosynostosis including the lack of molecular diagnostic testing, adequate family counseling, and biologic therapies to reduce patient morbidity...
- IVR Technology to Mobilize Contingency Management for Smoking CessationSHEILA MARIE ALESSI; Fiscal Year: 2012..1 of 2 treatment conditions: (a) IVR- S consisting of objective smoking status monitoring using IVR, telephone counseling and transdermal nicotine and (b) IVR-CM, consisting of the same monitoring, telephone counseling and transdermal ..
- HIV Prevention Intervention for Young Transgender WomenMATTHEW JAMES MIMIAGA; Fiscal Year: 2013..All three arms will receive HIV and STI (Chlamydia and gonorrhea) testing and pre-posttest risk reduction counseling (i.e., SOC)...
- Distress Tolerance Treatment for Weight Concern in Smoking Cessation Among WomenErika Litvin Bloom; Fiscal Year: 2013..All pilot participants will also receive standard smoking cessation treatment (ST), including group behavioral counseling and transdermal nicotine patch. DT-W will be piloted using an iterative process...
- The 24th Annual Symposium on Career Opportunities in Health Professions from ApriThomas Adams; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Improving the Management of Obesity in Primary Care PracticeThomas A Wadden; Fiscal Year: 2010..Health System will be randomly assigned to one of three 2-year interventions: 1) Minimal Care;2) Brief Lifestyle Counseling;or 3) Enhanced Brief Lifestyle Counseling...
- Treating Low-Income Smokers in the Hospital Emergency DepartmentSteven L Bernstein; Fiscal Year: 2013..This study aims to test the efficacy of an ED-initiated tobacco intervention which includes counseling and medication...
- Evaluation of Cardiovascular Outcomes Among Childhood Cancer SurvivorsMelissa M Hudson; Fiscal Year: 2012..recommendations for CV follow-up and lifestyle modification (standard care) or 2) standard care plus telephone counseling by an advanced- practice nurse that incorporates motivational interviewing techniques tailored to survivors'..
- An interactive web-based intervention to achieve healthy weight in young childrenEllen Wald; Fiscal Year: 2013..Our intervention will start with 6 "in-person" group counseling sessions in the primary care setting accompanied by continuous input via the web over 12 months with a strong ..
- Addressing Oral Health Disparities in Individuals with Mental Health ProblemsLisa J Heaton; Fiscal Year: 2013..the proposed Research Plan relates to the use of non-dental health care providers in the delivery of oral health counseling to individuals who lack access to regular dental care...
- Community-based Family Planning Intervention to Reduce Partner ViolenceElizabeth Miller; Fiscal Year: 2009..and sexual assault (IPV/SA) as compared to their same-age peers;however, standard-of-care family planning counseling does not currently include specified protocols to screen for or intervene to reduce IPV/SA...
- Improving substance abuse counseling adherence using web-based videoconferencingVan L King; Fiscal Year: 2010..to deliver routine counseling on a schedule commonplace in opioid-agonist treatment programs (OTPs)...
- Breast Cancer:Education, Counseling, and AdjustmentJudith Haber; Fiscal Year: 2005..In the proposed randomized clinical trial (RCT), the effect of standardized education (SE) alone, telephone counseling (TC) alone, and standardized education with telephone counseling (SE+TC) on emotional, physical and social ..
- Effectiveness of an Enhanced Adaptive Continuing Care Model for Cocaine DependencJames R McKay; Fiscal Year: 2010..2005, 2008, 2009). This protocol is referred to as "Telephone Monitoring and Adaptive Counseling" (TMAC)...
- AIDS DEMONSTATION--THREE LEVELS OF METHADONE MAINTENANCEANNA CHILDRESS; Fiscal Year: 1990..over a six-month period: A) Minimum Methadone Maintenance (MMM) - Blocking doses of methadone, plus emergency counseling and referral services; but no regular counseling, no privilege contingencies based on urine results and no ..
- Implementation of a Mammography Reminder System in a Healthcare NetworkRoger Luckmann; Fiscal Year: 2009..mammography in reducing breast cancer mortality and the effectiveness of mailed and telephone reminders and counseling in increasing timely screening...
- HIV Testing and Counseling in STD Clinics: an Adaptation of CTN 0032LISA R contact METSCH; Fiscal Year: 2010..The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recently recommended that prevention counseling not be required as part of HIV screening programs in medical care settings, except as part of post-counseling ..
- Integrated Web and phone smoking cessation counselingCHRISTIAN CARTTER; Fiscal Year: 2003..A self-help intervention for smoking cessation that incorporates counseling, behavioral skills training, and social support is particularly well suited to delivery via the Internet and has ..
- Healthy Teens TXT ME; IT to change teen health risk behaviorsArdis L Olson; Fiscal Year: 2010..lack IT systems that efficiently screen teens for health risks and support evidence-based motivational counseling. After the health visits clinicians are not able to offer supports to transform motivation to change a health ..
- AN EVALUATION OF TESTING AND COUNSELING FOR CF CARRIERSJames Sorenson; Fiscal Year: 1993..a clinic technician; (2) assesses the effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of a specially developed pregenetic counseling video for CF carrier clients to improve learning in counseling and to increase the utility of counseling ..
- Diseminating a Tobacco Curriculum for Pharmacy SchoolsKaren Hudmon; Fiscal Year: 2005Research shows that providing pharmacists with specialized tobacco cessation counseling training leads to significant increases in counseling activities...
- Implementing Motivational Counseling for Patients with Type 2 DiabetesAlan M Adelman; Fiscal Year: 2010..b>Counseling patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus to change their risky health behaviors is an important issue in primary ..
- Smoking Cessation for Head and Neck Cancer PatientsRobert Schnoll; Fiscal Year: 2006..e., use of pharmacologic treatments, in addition to counseling and nicotine replacement therapy [NRT]) vs. moderate (i.e...
- Comparative Effectiveness of Web-based Mobile Support for the DC Tobacco QuitlineTHOMAS ROBERT KIRCHNER; Fiscal Year: 2010..community outreach is widely acknowledged, it is also true that tobacco quitlines are principally a time-limited counseling service, providing what amount to "booster" sessions as smokers attempt to initiate and maintain abstinence ..
- Telephone Counseling to Support Colon Cancer ScreeningRoger Luckmann; Fiscal Year: 2005..for referral of primary care (PC) patients in need of colorectal cancer (CRC) screening to a tailored telephone counseling (TTC) service designed for patients of all levels of health literacy and supported by interpreters for low ..
- Clinical Supervision Training Program (CSTP)RICHARD OFFNER; Fiscal Year: 2009DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): From its roots in the self-help movement, addiction counseling has evolved into a skilled profession. Standardized skills and criteria by which counselors are measured for credentialing now exist...
- Caring Interventions for Couples Who Have MiscarriedKristen Swanson; Fiscal Year: 2004..The purpose of this randomized study is to compare the effects of nurse caring (3 nurse counseling sessions), self-caring (3 home-delivered videotapes and journals), combined caring (1 nurse counseling plus 3 ..
- COUNSELING/HIV TESTING FOR AT RISK MINORITY WOMENAdeline Nyamathi; Fiscal Year: 1992..women who are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are of childbearing age This study proposes a Nurse Counseling and HIV Testing Program which will be provided at select community sites and by mobile vehicle for the difficult ..
- The Self Regulation Model in BRCA 1/2 Genetic CounselingKIMBERLY MICHELLE KELLY; Fiscal Year: 2009DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Genetic counseling, a specialized form of cancer risk communication, has been considered a "Black Box" as few studies have investigated the content of genetic counseling...
- Mood Management Phone Counseling in Smoking CessationDavid Strong; Fiscal Year: 2007..Proactive telephone counseling for smoking cessation has received strong recommendations from the US DHHS as a primary mechanism for increasing ..
- RECEPTIVITY TO SICKLE/THAL SCREENING DURING PREGNANCYPeter Rowley; Fiscal Year: 1990..In the first 34 months of the study, 61% of women made a special trip to receive counseling, 81% of counseled carriers wanted their mates tested, 59% of mates were actually tested, and 69% of couples ..