Summary: Disorders that include recurrent, intense sexually arousing fantasies, sexual urges, or behaviors generally involving nonhuman objects, suffering of oneself or partners, or children or other nonconsenting partners. (from DSM-IV, 1994)
Publications184 found, 100 shown here
- Developmental risk factors for sexual offendingJoseph K P Lee
Department of Psychology, University of Melbourne, Victorian Institute of Forensic Mental Health, Australia
Child Abuse Negl 26:73-92. 2002..The aim of the study was to identify the general, common, and specific developmental risk factors for pedophilia, exhibitionism, rape, and multiple paraphilia, and to address five methodological issues observed in this area of research...
- A study of the psychosexual characteristics of sex killers: can we identify them before it is too late?Ron Langevin
Department of Psychiatry, University of Toronto, 5468 Dundas Street West, Suite 402, Etobicoke, Ontario M9B 6E3
Int J Offender Ther Comp Criminol 47:366-82. 2003..Results suggest that greater emphasis be placed on studying adolescent sex offenders and conduct disordered children which may help identify potential sex killers...
- The relationship between serial sexual murder and autoerotic asphyxiationWade C Myers
Forensic Psychiatry Program, Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Medicine, University of South Florida College of Medicine, 12901 Bruce B Downs Blvd, MDC 102, Tampa, FL 33612, USA
Forensic Sci Int 176:187-95. 2008..Autoerotic asphyxiation, along with other paraphilias found in this population, is reviewed...
- Treatment of sexual offenders with psychopathic traits: recent research developments and clinical implicationsJeffrey Abracen
Central District Parole, Correctional Service of Canada, Toronto, ON, Canada
Trauma Violence Abuse 9:144-66. 2008..those who are psychopathic, cannot be answered unless groups presenting with typical concurrent disorders (paraphilias, substance abuse, dependence) are discussed...
- The World Federation of Societies of Biological Psychiatry (WFSBP) guidelines for the biological treatment of paraphiliasFlorence Thibaut
Faculty of Medicine, Rouen University Hospital Ch Nicolle, University of Rouen, Rouen, France
World J Biol Psychiatry 11:604-55. 2010..These guidelines are intended for use in clinical practice by clinicians who diagnose and treat patients with paraphilia. The aim of these guidelines is to improve the quality of care and to aid physicians in clinical decisions...
- Current concepts in the pharmacotherapy of paraphiliasFrederico D Garcia
ADEN Laboratory EA4311, Rouen University Hospital, Biomedical Research Institute, IFR 23, Rouen, France
Drugs 71:771-90. 2011..b>Paraphilias are a major burden for patients and society; nevertheless, only a few individuals with paraphilias voluntarily ..
- Pharmacotherapy of paraphilias with long-acting agonists of luteinizing hormone-releasing hormone: a systematic reviewPeer Briken
Institute of Sex Research and Forensic Psychiatry, Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, University of Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany
J Clin Psychiatry 64:890-7. 2003In addition to psychotherapy, pharmacotherapy is an important treatment option for paraphilias, especially in sexual offenders...
- Case report: the management of bone demineralization associated with long-term treatment of multiple paraphilias with long-acting LHRH agonistsR Dickey
Sexual Behaviours Clinic, Gender Identity Clinic, University of Toronto, and Centre for Addiction and Mental Health, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Sex Marital Ther 28:207-10. 2002A patient with multiple paraphilias had been successfully treated for 10 years with a long-acting LHRH agonist with complete suppression of deviant sexual activity...
- Depot-leuprolide acetate for treatment of paraphilias: a report of twelve casesR B Krueger
Department of Psychiatry, College of Physicians and Surgeons, Columbia University, New York, New York, USA
Arch Sex Behav 30:409-22. 2001..of antiandrogen medications, gonadotropin-releasing hormone agonists, offers promise in the treatment of the paraphilias, with substantially less side effects than medroxyprogesterone acetate or cyproterone acetate...
- Differential pharmacological treatment of paraphilias and sex offendersAndreas Hill
Klinik fuer Psychiatrie und Psychotherapie, Abteilung für Sexualforschung und Forensik, Universitaetsklinikum Hamburg Eppendorf, Hamburg D 20246, Germany
Int J Offender Ther Comp Criminol 47:407-21. 2003This article gives an overview of current pharmacological treatment of paraphilias and sex offenders focusing on the situation in Germany...
- Desire for amputation of a limb: paraphilia, psychosis, or a new type of identity disorderMichael B First
Department of Psychiatry, Columbia University, New York, NY, USA
Psychol Med 35:919-28. 2005..The objective of this paper is to describe and conceptualize an unusual and probably rare condition: the intense longstanding desire to have an amputation...
- Problems with paraphilias in the DSM-5J Paul Fedoroff
Integrated Forensic Program, Royal Ottawa Mental Health Centre, University of Ottawa Institute of Mental Health Research, University of Ottawa, 1145 Carling Avenue, Ottawa, ON K1Z 7K4, Canada
Curr Psychiatry Rep 15:363. 2013This paper critiques changes in the diagnositic criteria for the paraphilias as set out in the DSM-5. In addition to general areas of concern, five specific problem areas are identified...
- A DSM-IV Axis I comorbidity study of males (n = 120) with paraphilias and paraphilia-related disordersMartin P Kafka
Department of Psychiatry, McLean Hospital, 115 Mill Street, Belmont, Massachusetts 02478, USA
Sex Abuse 14:349-66. 2002One hundred and twenty consecutively evaluated outpatient males with paraphilias (PAs; n = 88, including 60 sex offenders) and paraphilia-related disorders (PRDs; n = 32) were systematically assessed for certain developmental variables ..
- Family size, birth order, and parental age among male paraphilics and sex offendersRon Langevin
Juniper Associates, 5468 Dundas Street West, Suite 402, Etobicoke, Ontario, M9B 6E3, Canada
Arch Sex Behav 36:599-609. 2007....
- Supplementary analyses regarding Langevin, Langevin, and Curnoe's (2007) findings on fraternal birth order in homosexual menRay Blanchard
Law and Mental Health Program, Centre for Addiction and Mental Health, 250 College Street, Toronto, Ontario, M5T 1R8, Canada
Arch Sex Behav 36:610-4; discussion 615-6. 2007..These results suggest that Langevin et al.'s data showed significant evidence of a fraternal birth order effect and that their data were consistent with previous studies of this phenomenon...
- Neurodevelopmental correlates of paraphilic sexual interests in menQazi Rahman
Department of Biological Sciences, Queen Mary College, University of London, Mile End Road, London, UK
Arch Sex Behav 37:166-72. 2008..It is suggested that processes such as developmental instability and maternal immunity may play a role in variant sexual preferences among otherwise healthy heterosexual men...
- Mania associated with multiple paraphiliasD N Mendhekar
Indian J Med Sci 60:28-9. 2006
- Psychostimulant augmentation during treatment with selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors in men with paraphilias and paraphilia-related disorders: a case seriesM P Kafka
Department of Psychiatry, Harvard Medical School, Boston, USA
J Clin Psychiatry 61:664-70. 2000..methylphenidate sustained release [SR]) added to selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs; primarily fluoxetine) during the course of pharmacologic treatment of men with paraphilias and paraphilia-related disorders (PRDs).
- A neuropsychiatric developmental model of serial homicidal behaviorJ Arturo Silva
Behav Sci Law 22:787-99. 2004..Recommendations for further research to help clarify the nature of this association are briefly discussed...
- Practical considerations in the interview and evaluation of sexual offendersClark R Clipson
California School of Professional Psychology, Alliant International University, San Diego, CA, USA
J Child Sex Abus 12:127-73. 2003..both practical information regarding the interview itself, along with an overview of classification systems, paraphilias, and assessment techniques used with this population...
- A neurobiological perspective on attachment problems in sexual offenders and the role of selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitors in the treatment of such problemsAnthony R Beech
School of Psychology, University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham, B15 2TT, UK
Clin Psychol Rev 25:153-82. 2005..e., cognitive-behavioral therapy/schema-focused therapy...
- Sexual fantasies of adolescent male sex offenders in residential treatment: a descriptive studyA Scott Aylwin
Phoenix Program, Alberta Hospital Edmonton and Department of Psychiatry, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta
Arch Sex Behav 34:231-9. 2005..Implications of the results for juvenile sex offender treatment are discussed...
- A 14- to 24-year longitudinal study of a comprehensive sexual health model treatment program for adolescent sex offenders: predictors of successful completion and subsequent criminal recidivismWilliam Seabloom
National Center for Ecological Analysis and Synthesis, Suite 300, 735 State Street, Santa Barbara, California 93101 3351, USA
Int J Offender Ther Comp Criminol 47:468-81. 2003..This group was also less likely than the other groups to be arrested (p = 0.014) or convicted (p = 0.004) across all crime categories...
- Reliability of sexually violent predator civil commitment criteria in FloridaJill S Levenson
School of Social Work, Florida International University, 11200 S W 8th Street, ECS 460, Miami, Florida 33199, USA
Law Hum Behav 28:357-68. 2004..77 to .85). The recommendations made by evaluators regarding whether or not to refer a client for civil commitment demonstrated poor reliability (kappa = .54). Implications for practice and policy are explored...
- The current role of post-conviction sex offender polygraph testing in sex offender treatmentRon Kokish
J Child Sex Abus 12:175-94. 2003..This article reviews the current situation, leaving readers to decide the wisdom and ethics of using polygraph testing in their own practices...
- Circumferential change scores in phallometric assessment: normative dataRichard J Howes
Psychology Department, Stony Mountain Institution, PO Box 4500, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada R3C 3W8
Sex Abuse 15:365-75. 2003..It is suggested that only through a more rigorous application of the principles of science will the procedure of phallometric assessment fulfill its true potential...
- The Abel testBarry M Maletzky
Sex Abuse 15:393. 2003
- Naltrexone in the treatment of adolescent sexual offendersRalph S Ryback
Potomac Ridge Behavioral Health Adventist Health Care Systems, Rockville, MD 20850, USA
J Clin Psychiatry 65:982-6. 2004..This study investigated whether naltrexone can decrease sexual arousal in legally adjudicated adolescent sexual offenders...
- Criminal diversity and paraphilic interests among adult males convicted of sexual offenses against childrenStephen W Smallbone
School of Criminology and Criminal Justice, Griffith University, Queensland 4111, Australia
Int J Offender Ther Comp Criminol 48:175-88. 2004..The prevalence of diagnosable paraphilias was low, with only 5% meeting formal diagnostic criteria for multiple (two or more) paraphilias other than ..
- Assessment of criminal recidivism risk with adolescents who have offended sexually: a reviewJames R Worling
Sexual Abuse Family Education and Treatment SAFE T Program, 51 Panorama Court, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M9V 4L8
Trauma Violence Abuse 4:341-62. 2003..We conclude with suggesting practical strategies for the assessment and communication of recidivism risk...
- Psychosocial and biological treatment considerations for the paraphilic and nonparaphilic sex offenderFabian M Saleh
University of Massachusetts Medical School, and Sexual Disorders Clinic, UMassMemorial, Community Health Link, Worcester 01655, USA
J Am Acad Psychiatry Law 31:486-93. 2003..is complicated by phenomenological and etiological differences and the presence of psychopathology, including paraphilias. The authors discusses the most commonly employed psychosocial therapies for sex offenders in general...
- Sexual deviancy: diagnostic and neurobiological considerationsFabian M Saleh
Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD, USA
J Child Sex Abus 12:53-76. 2003..b>Paraphilias are psychiatric disorders characterized by deviant and culturally non-sanctioned sexual fantasies, thoughts, ..
- Handedness in pedophilia and hebephiliaJames M Cantor
Law and Mental Health Program, Centre for Addiction and Mental Health, 250 College Street, Toronto, Ontario, M5T 1R8, Canada
Arch Sex Behav 34:447-59. 2005....
- Modus operandi and situational aspects in adolescent sexual offenses against children: a further examinationBenoit Leclerc
School of Criminology, University of Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Int J Offender Ther Comp Criminol 52:46-61. 2008..Suggestions are made regarding future modus operandi studies...
- Resistance, reluctance, and readiness in perpetrators of abuse against women and childrenKatreena L Scott
Department of Human Development and Applied Psychology, University of Toronto, Toronto
Trauma Violence Abuse 8:401-17. 2007..Recommendations for assessing reluctance in research and clinical practice are also provided...
- [Drug-therapy with sexual offenders]Thomas Stompe
Psychiatrische Universitatsklinik Wien, Justzianstalt Göllrersdorf
Neuropsychiatr 21:12-7. 2007..Finally, the step-wise algorithm for the therapy of sexual according to Bradford is presented...
- Psychiatric morbidity among convicted male sex offenders at Kamiti Prison, KenyaI M Kanyanya
Department of Psychiatry, School of Medicine, College of Health Sciences, University of Nairobi, P O Box 19696 00202, Nairobi, Kenya
East Afr Med J 84:151-5. 2007..To determine the prevalence and distribution of psychiatric morbidity among convicted male sex offenders and to establish factors associated with sexual offending...
- [Assessment and treatment of sexual offenders]Friedemann Pfafflin
Universitat, Ulm, BRD
Bundesgesundheitsblatt Gesundheitsforschung Gesundheitsschutz 50:44-51. 2007..and more general psychotherapy modules (anger management, substance abuse, social skills training, etc.). Advantages and disadvantages of these programs are named and discussed...
- [Pornography and sexual abuse in the Internet]Andreas Hill
Universitatsklinikum, Hamburg Eppendorf, BRD
Bundesgesundheitsblatt Gesundheitsforschung Gesundheitsschutz 50:90-102. 2007....
- Schizophrenia sex offenders: a clinical and epidemiological comparison studyYaakov Alish
Beer Yaakov Mental Health Center, Israel
Int J Law Psychiatry 30:459-66. 2007..Study observations indicate important differences between the 3 subgroups suggesting that the schizophrenia sex offender subpopulation may be a unique subgroup of comorbid conditions...
- Criminal recidivism in sexual homicide perpetratorsAndreas Hill
Institute of Sex Research and Forensic Psychiatry, University Medical Center, Hamburg, Germany
Int J Offender Ther Comp Criminol 52:5-20. 2008..The impacts of the results for risk assessment, relapse prevention, and supervision are discussed...
- Beyond sex offensesAles Kolárský
Arch Sex Behav 35:251-2. 2006
- The paraphilia-related disorders: an investigation of the relevance of the concept in sexual murderersPeer Briken
Institute for Sex Research and Forensic Psychiatry, Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, University Hospital Hamburg, Martinistrasse 52, D 20246 Hamburg, Germany
J Forensic Sci 51:683-8. 2006..Nonparaphilic sexual excessive behaviors-so-called paraphilia-related disorders (PRDs), like paraphilias, are also characterized by sexual preoccupation and volitional impairment and can be diagnosed in paraphilic ..
- [Treatment of sex offenders with leuprorelin]Jim Aage Nøttestad
Regional sikkerhetsavdeling og kompetansesenter for sikkerhets, fengsels og rettspsykiatri, Avdeling Brøset, St Olavs Hospital, Postboks 1803 Lade, 7440 Trondheim
Tidsskr Nor Laegeforen 126:633-4. 2006
- Self-regulation and the etiology of sexual deviance: evaluating causal theoryJill D Stinson
Fulton State Hospital, MO 62521, USA
Violence Vict 23:35-51. 2008..Implications for our understanding of the etiology of sexual deviance and future research in this area are discussed...
- Evidence of primary, secondary, and collateral paraphilias left at serial murder and sex offender crime scenesJohn H White
Division of Social and Behavioral Sciences, Richard Stockton College of New Jersey, Pomona, NJ 08240 0195, USA
J Forensic Sci 52:1194-201. 2007This paper is a descriptive review of the phenomenon of paraphilias, the relationship of possessing multiple paraphilias with the commission of sexual crimes and serial murder and the recognition of evidence related to sexual crimes ..
- Sex offender commitment in IllinoisAngeline Stanislaus
Southern Illinois University, Springfield, IL, USA
J Psychiatr Pract 11:262-6; discussion 266-7. 2005
- Reinforcement sensitivity of sex offenders and non-offenders: an experimental and psychometric study of reinforcement sensitivity theoryAnja Leue
Faculty of Psychology, Philipps University Marburg, Germany
Br J Psychol 99:361-78. 2008..The experimental and psychometric results illustrate that predictive accuracy in forensic settings could be improved by combining several types of data...
- [Personality disorders and "psychopathy" in sex offenders imprisoned in forensic-psychiatric hospitals--SKID-II- and PCL-R-results in patients with impulse control disorder and paraphilia]Bernd Borchard
Niedersächsisches Landeskrankenhaus Moringen, Fachkrankenhaus für forensische Psychiatrie
Psychiatr Prax 30:133-8. 2003....
- A brief history of behavioral and cognitive behavioral approaches to sexual offenders: Part 1. Early developmentsD R Laws
South Island Consulting, PO Box 23036, 4 313 Cook Street, Victoria, British Columbia, Canada V8V 4Z8
Sex Abuse 15:75-92. 2003....
- Social phobia as a comorbid condition in sex offenders with paraphilia or impulse control disorderJ Hoyer
University of Technology Dresden, Department of Clinical Psychology and Psychotherapy, Germany
J Nerv Ment Dis 189:463-70. 2001..Implications for further research, diagnostic procedures, and therapy are discussed...
- A brief history of behavioral and cognitive behavioral approaches to sexual offender treatment: Part 2. The modern eraW L Marshall
Rockwood Psychological Services, Suite 403, 303 Bagot Street, Kingston, Ontario, Canada K7K 5W7
Sex Abuse 15:93-120. 2003..This paper is the second in our attempt to highlight the major influences, trends, and emerging issues in cognitive behavioral approaches to treating sexual offenders. In this paper the developments from 1970 until the present are covered...
- Issues concerning the reliability and validity of the diagnosis of sexual sadism applied in prison settingsW L Marshall
Department of Psychology, Queen s University, Kingston, Ontario, Canada, K7L 3N6
Sex Abuse 14:301-11. 2002..The results are discussed in terms of their meaning for both forensic practice in prisons and the value of the diagnosis of sexual sadism...
- Sex offending and sexual appetite: the clinical and theoretical relevance of hypersexual desireMartin P Kafka
McLean Hospital, 115 Mill Street, Belmont, Massachusetts 02478, USA
Int J Offender Ther Comp Criminol 47:439-51. 2003..associated with repetitive sexual behavior: Data are presented suggesting that clinical samples of males with paraphilias, paraphilia-related disorders, and sexual coercion may be associated with disinhibited sexual appetite...
- Goal attainment scaling with sexual offenders: a measure of clinical impact at posttreatment and at community follow-upT S Stirpe
Correctional Service of Canada, 330 Keele Street, Main Floor, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M6P 2K7
Sex Abuse 13:65-77. 2001..These results are discussed with respect to the effectiveness of cognitive-behavioral treatment of sexual offenders...
- The monoamine hypothesis for the pathophysiology of paraphilic disorders: an updateMartin P Kafka
Department of Psychiatry, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Ann N Y Acad Sci 989:86-94; discussion 144-53. 2003....
- [Characteristic fetures of EEG spectral characteritics in persons with deviant sexual behavior]A V Kirenskaia-Berus
Fiziol Cheloveka 29:22-32. 2003
- Disorders of sexual preference and medicolegal issues thereofB R Sharma
Department of Forensic Medicine and Toxicology, Government Medical College and Hospital, Chandigarh, 160030, India
Am J Forensic Med Pathol 24:277-82. 2003Disorders of sexual preference or paraphilias are bizarre patterns of sexual behavior that have diverse manifestations and are of complicated sexual orientations...
- Sexual sadismWolfgang Berner
Department of Sex Research, University of Hamburg, Martinistrasse 52, D 20246 Hamburg, Germany
Int J Offender Ther Comp Criminol 47:383-95. 2003....
- Reversible transvestic fetishism in a man with Parkinson's disease treated with selegilineDavid E Riley
Department of Neurology, University Hospitals of Cleveland, Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine, Cleveland, Ohio 44106, USA
Clin Neuropharmacol 25:234-7. 2002..The selegiline was stopped, and his urge to wear women's clothing ceased. Paraphilias are a rare behavioral complication of Parkinson's disease treatment...
- The neuropsychiatry of Parkinson's diseaseE C Lauterbach
Division of Adult and Geriatric Psychiatry, Mercer University School of Medicine, Macon, GA 31201, USA
Minerva Med 96:155-73. 2005..Sexual disorders occur in most patients. Paraphilias are associated with dopamine agonists, and clozapine may be useful in their treatment...
- Paraphilias in adult psychiatric inpatientsPatrick J Marsh
Department of Psychiatry, University of South Florida, Tampa, FL 33613, USA
Ann Clin Psychiatry 22:129-34. 2010The goal of the present study was to examine the prevalence of paraphilias in an adult inpatient psychiatric population.
- Compulsive exhibitionism successfully treated with fluvoxamine: a controlled case studyJ Zohar
Division of Psychiatry, Chaim Sheba Medical Center, Ramat Gan, Tel Hashomer, Israel
J Clin Psychiatry 55:86-8. 1994b>Paraphilias are psychosexual disorders that are usually conceptualized as deviant in nature. Yet in some cases, paraphilia can be conceptualized as an obsessive compulsive disorder.
- ImpulsivityE Hollander
Department of Psychiatry and the Compulsive, Impulsive, and Anxiety Disorders Program, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY 10029 6574, USA
J Psychopharmacol 14:S39-44. 2000..control (intermittent explosive disorder, pyromania, kleptomania, pathological gambling and trichotillomania), paraphilias, sexual impulsions and sexual addictions and impulsive aggression personality disorders (borderline, antisocial,..
- Leuprolide acetate for exhibitionism in Huntington's diseaseS S Rich
Department of Psychiatry, University of Chicago, Illinois
Mov Disord 9:353-7. 1994..This regimen may be a safe and effective pharmacological treatment of the paraphilias. The occurrence of paraphilias in basal ganglia disorders is reviewed.
- Is a diagnostic category for paraphilic coercive disorder defensible?Raymond A Knight
Department of Psychology, MS 062, Brandeis University, Waltham, MA 02454 9110, USA
Arch Sex Behav 39:419-26. 2010..little empirical justification for the creation of this new syndrome, the inclusion of this disorder among the paraphilias would have serious potential for misuse...
- The DSM diagnostic criteria for exhibitionism, voyeurism, and frotteurismNiklas Långström
Centre for Violence Prevention, Karolinska Institutet, POB 23000, 104 35, Stockholm, Sweden
Arch Sex Behav 39:317-24. 2010..Very limited empirical support was found for major changes of the current DSM-IV-TR criteria sets for these paraphilias. Some of the criticism of current criteria and the balancing of false negatives and false positive diagnoses ..
- Agreement of self-reported and genital measures of sexual arousal in men and women: a meta-analysisMeredith L Chivers
Department of Psychology, Queen s University, Kingston, ON, K7L 3N6, Canada
Arch Sex Behav 39:5-56. 2010..of human sexuality and provides a method to assess and evaluate the treatment of sexual dysfunctions and paraphilias. Understanding measures of arousal is, therefore, paramount to further theoretical and practical advances in ..
- [Symptoms from the spectrum of Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) in sexual delinquents]D Blocher
Abteilung für Forensische Psychiatrie der Universität Würzburg
Fortschr Neurol Psychiatr 69:453-9. 2001..We found personality disorders of the antisocial type (22.1 % of the sample) and paraphilias in 25.2 %. Approximately, half of the delinquents with paraphilia met the criteria of pedophilia...
- [Sadistic fetishism--deadly passion. Forensic psychiatric assessment of sex offenders]N Nedopil
Abteilung für Forensische Psychiatrie, Psychiatrische Klinik der Universität München, Nussbaumstrasse 7, 80336, Munchen, Germany
Nervenarzt 79:1249-50, 1252, 1254-6, passim. 2008..These developments are characterized by constantly changing laws and increasing neurobiological findings about paraphilias. Psychiatrists must prepare their reports taking into account the tension between psychopathological, ..
- The diagnostic reliability of sexual sadismDennis Doren
Sand Ridge Evaluation Unit, Madison, Wisconsin, USA
Sex Abuse 21:251-61. 2009Previous studies have reported low diagnostic agreement on the paraphilias, especially sexual sadism. In the present study, 34 evaluators throughout the United States reviewed summaries of 12 committed sex offenders...
- Paraphilias across cultures: contexts and controversiesDinesh Bhugra
Institute of Psychiatry, King s College London, London, SE5 8AF, England
J Sex Res 47:242-56. 2010..The role and development of paraphilias across cultures is also variable, with cultures defining what is legal or illegal...
- [Criminal responsibility in sexual homicide perpetrators]A Hill
Institut für Sexualforschung und Forensische Psychiatrie, Universitatsklinikum Hamburg Eppendorf
Fortschr Neurol Psychiatr 76:343-53. 2008Evaluation of criteria for criminal responsibility, esp. in paraphilias and personality disorders.
- [The treatment of hypersexuality in a male with obsessive compulsive disorder as psychiatric co-morbidity]J Jairam
Arts in opleiding tot psychister bij de afdeling Puls van het Bavo Europoort
Tijdschr Psychiatr 50:113-7. 2008Patients with paraphilias often also have psychiatric co-morbidity...
- Modern-day eunuchs: motivations for and consequences of contemporary castrationRichard J Wassersug
Department of Anatomy and Neurobiology, Dalhousie University, 5850 College Street, Halifax, Nova Scotia, B3H 1X5, Canada
Perspect Biol Med 50:544-56. 2007..between two groups of males: prostate cancer patients and voluntary modern-day eunuchs with castration paraphilias or other emasculating obsessions...
- Evaluation for civil commitment of sex offenders: a survey of expertsRebecca L Jackson
Pacific Graduate School of Psychology, 935 E Meadow Drive, Palo Alto, CA 94303, USA
Sex Abuse 19:425-48. 2007..The majority of evaluators reported the assessment of paraphilias, substance abuse, other Axis I disorders, Axis II disorders, and psychopathy as essential to the evaluation...
- Dimensional measurement of sexual devianceR Karl Hanson
Corrections Research, Public Safety Canada, 340 Laurier Avenue West, Ottawa, ON K1A 0P8, Canada
Arch Sex Behav 39:401-4. 2010..The optimal number of dimensions for describing paraphilias is not known, but would likely include features related to problems in sexual self-regulation, the diversity of ..
- Unconventional sexual behaviors and their associations with physical, mental and sexual health parameters: a study in 18 large Brazilian citiesWaldemar Mendes de Oliveira Júnior
Institute of Psychiatry, Hospital das Clinicas, Universidade de Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
Rev Bras Psiquiatr 32:264-74. 2010There have been many studies investigating paraphilias and sexual compulsion, but thus far little data about prevalence of unusual sexual practices that are subthreshold for these diagnoses...
- Juvenile sex offenders: a complex populationJoel T Andrade
University of Massachusetts Medical School Correctional Mental Health Program, Bridgewater State Hospital, Bridgewater, MA 02324, USA
J Forensic Sci 51:163-7. 2006..of the complexities inherent in the juvenile sex offender population by focusing on specific areas of complication, including: classification systems, comorbid paraphilias and other mental illnesses, and maladaptive personality traits.
- Digital imaging of the dissection and sexual abuse of a corpse - an exceptional case of necrophiliaMartin Bauer
Institute of Legal Medicine, University of Wuerzburg, Germany
Leg Med (Tokyo) 9:143-6. 2007..The psychiatric examination of the socially integrated and married patient revealed a severe personality disorder. Two other, previously unsolved cases could be attributed to him showing a clear progression of fantasies and acts...
- Assessing the generalization of relapse-prevention behaviors of sexual offenders diagnosed with an intellectual disabilityJerry A Rea
Parsons State Hospital and Training Center, KS, USA
Behav Modif 38:25-44. 2014..with the lowest levels of generalization displayed by offenders who were older and displayed a wider range of paraphilias. The degree of generalization also varied as a function of the contingencies for prevention-plan noncompliance, ..
- Commentary: Hebephilia--a would-be paraphilia caught in the twilight zone between prepubescence and adulthoodRobert Prentky
Fairleigh Dickinson University, 1000 River Road, Teaneck, NJ 07666, USA
J Am Acad Psychiatry Law 39:506-10. 2011..We suggest that in the third instance of exclusivity, the Criterion B requirement of impairment may become critical to legitimizing a diagnosis of hebephilia...
- Autoerotic asphyxiation: secret pleasure--lethal outcome?Daniel D Cowell
Departments of Psychiatry and Behavioral Medicine, and Graduate Medical Education, Marshall University, Joan C Edwards School of Medicine, Huntington, West Virginia 25701, USA
Pediatrics 124:1319-24. 2009..Provided with relevant information, pediatricians can identify the syndrome, demonstrate a willingness to discuss concerns about it, ameliorate distress, and possibly prevent a tragedy...
- Clinical and theoretical parallels between desire for limb amputation and gender identity disorderAnne A Lawrence
Arch Sex Behav 35:263-78. 2006..and nonhomosexual male-to-female (MtF) transsexualism include profound dissatisfaction with embodiment, related paraphilias from which the conditions plausibly derive (apotemnophilia and autogynephilia), sexual arousal from simulation ..
- Assessment and treatment of adolescent sexual offenders: implications of recent research on generalist versus specialist explanationsLesleigh Pullman
Department of Psychology, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, ON, Canada
Child Abuse Negl 36:203-9. 2012..The purpose of the present article is to review recent literature pertaining to the distinction between generalist and specialist adolescent sex offenders (ASOs)...
- Three nonlethal ligature strangulations filmed by an autoerotic practitioner: comparison of early agonal responses in strangulation by ligature, hanging, and manual strangulationAnny Sauvageau
Office of the Chief Medical Examiner, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Am J Forensic Med Pathol 33:339-40. 2012..The loss of consciousness was closely followed by the onset of convulsions (7-11 seconds). These results are compared with the early agonal responses documented in filmed hangings and judo studies...
- Can sexual offenders be treated?John M W Bradford
Psychiatry, University of Ottawa, Canada
Int J Law Psychiatry 36:235-40. 2013..This review covers the evidence-based studies that support the efficacy of sexual offender treatment...
- [Deviant sexual behaviors, paraphilias, perversions]P Blachère
Service d Urologie, Hopital Foch, Universite de Versailles Saint Quentin en Yvelines, 40, rue Worth, 92150 Suresnes, France
Prog Urol 23:793-803. 2013To know the new concept of paraphilias, their clinical presentation and their link with a personality disorder as perversion, the French legislation concerning them and the different therapeutic options.
- Propane-associated autoerotic asphyxiation: accident or suicide?Valter Stemberga
Department of Forensic Medicine, School of Medicine, University of Rijeka, Rijeka, Croatia
Coll Antropol 31:625-7. 2007..Unusual death of a 24-year-old man, involving propane inhalation and plastic bag suffocation, is described. The special characteristics of propane gas as an asphyxiant agent are discussed, as well as its effect on the human body...
- A case of severe anal injury in an adolescent male due to bestial sexual experimentationRoger O Blevins
University of Oklahoma College of Medicine Tulsa, Department of Pediatrics, Tulsa, OK 74135, United States
J Forensic Leg Med 16:403-6. 2009..Zoophilia, along with a number of other paraphilias, frequently has its onset in the adolescent age group...
- The antisaccade task performance deficit and specific CNV abnormalities in patients with stereotyped paraphilia and schizophreniaAnna V Kirenskaya
National Serbsky Centre for Social and Forensic Psychiatry, 119922, Moscow, Russian Federation
J Forensic Sci 58:1219-26. 2013..The SP results have been interpreted as support for frontal dysfunction in schizophrenia. The disconnection between prefrontal cortex, sensorimotor cortex, and related subcortical structures is hypothesized in paraphilia group...
- [Can sex become addictive?]Peter Briken
Inst für Sexualforschung und Forensische Psychiatrie, Zentrum fur Psychosoziale Medizin, Universitatsklinikum Hamburg Eppendorf
MMW Fortschr Med 150:32-4. 2008
- HypoxyphiliaStephen J Hucker
Department of Psychiatry, University of Toronto, 250 College Street, Toronto, ON M5T 1R8, Canada
Arch Sex Behav 40:1323-6. 2011..Advisor's report on Hypoxyphilia, as it is currently called in DSM-IV, submitted at the request of the DSM-5 Paraphilias Subworkgroup of the Sexual and Gender Identity Disorders Workgroup...
- Sexual and food preference in apotemnophilia and anorexia: interactions between 'beliefs' and 'needs' regulated by two-way connections between body image and limbic structuresVilayanur S Ramachandran
Center for Brain and Cognition, University of California San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093 0109, USA
Perception 38:775-7. 2009..We postulate that sexual 'aesthetic preference' for certain body morphology is dictated in all individuals in part by the cortical representation of one's body image...
- Prevalence of hypersexual behavior in Parkinson's disease patients: Not restricted to males and dopamine agonist useChristine A Cooper
Department of Neurology, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL, USA
Int J Gen Med 2:57-61. 2009..These behaviors included: compulsive masturbation, prostitution, and paraphilias. Patients with a younger age of PD onset were more likely to exhibit hypersexual behavior...
- Sexual arousal patterns: normal and deviantGene G Abel
Behavioral Medicine Institute of Atlanta, 1401 Peachtree Street, Suite 140, Atlanta, GA 30309, USA
Psychiatr Clin North Am 31:643-55. 2008....
- [Sexsomnia during treatment with a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor]D G H Krol
Militaire Geestelijke Gezondheidszorg, Regiocentrum Midden, Heidelberglaan 100, 3584 CX Utrecht
Tijdschr Psychiatr 50:735-9. 2008....
- Use of DSM paraphilia diagnoses in sexually violent predator commitment casesMichael B First
Department of Psychiatry, Columbia University, New York State Psychiatric Institute, New York, NY, USA
J Am Acad Psychiatry Law 36:443-54. 2008..Finally, we discuss the appropriate use of a paraphilia NOS diagnosis in SVP cases...
- Commentary: sildenafil in phallometric testing--an evidence-based assessment of sexual offendersJohn M W Bradford
Department of Criminology, University of Ottawa, Institute of Mental Health Research, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
J Am Acad Psychiatry Law 38:512-5. 2010..testing is an objective, physiological indicator of deviant sexual preferences that support the diagnosis of paraphilias and the assessment of sexual offenders. The current article by Kolla et al...
- Defining paraphilia in DSM-5: do not disregard grammarAndrew C Hinderliter
Department of Linguistics, University of Illinois, Urbana, Illinois 61801, USA
J Sex Marital Ther 37:17-31. 2011....
- Sexual and reproductive dysfunction associated with antiepileptic drug use in men with epilepsyRocco Salvatore Calabrò
IRCCS Centro Neurolesi Bonino Pulejo, S S 113, Via Palermo, C da Casazza, 98124 Messina, Italy
Expert Rev Neurother 11:887-95. 2011..The most common sexual dysfunction is hyposexuality, even if hypersexuality and different paraphilias have been reported in males with epilepsy...
- LONGITUDINAL AND RELATED PSYCHOHORMONAL STUDIESJohn Money; Fiscal Year: 1990..2A.3 will be the first known prospective study of the childhood origins and development of paraphilias. 2A...
- Risk for Sexual Abuse: As Study of Adolescent OffendersMichael Miner; Fiscal Year: 2006..confidence in their own masculinity and (4) beliefs about sexuality, selfreported sexual behavior (including paraphilias), and sexual interests and fantasies (including ivarious paraphilias)...
- Measuring Oral Disease Burden for Planning ServicesMichael Ross; Fiscal Year: 2003..The principal investigator is based in Houston, Texas (USA) and the collaborators are based in Cape Town (South Africa), Dar es Salaam (Tanzania), and London (UK). ..