Summary: Impotence caused by a diminution of blood flow to the penis. Arteries involved can be the terminal aorta, hypogastric, pudendal, penile, and cavernous arteries. Ectopic drainage of the corpora cavernosa via large superficial dorsal veins or abnormally large cavernous and crural veins can cause venogenic impotence. (From Walsh, et al., Campbell's Urology, 6th ed, p720). The expression "venous leakage" is seen often in international literature. Leakage refers to the failure of the blood to reach the penile erectile tissues.
Publications174 found, 100 shown here
- Vasculogenic impotence. Arterial and venous surgeryD S Rao
Department of Surgery, Division of Urology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina, USA
Urol Clin North Am 28:309-19. 2001..Further studies are likely to refine patient selection but are unlikely to expand the therapeutic use of these procedures...
- A randomized crossover study using yohimbine and isoxsuprine versus pentoxifylline in the management of vasculogenic impotenceL D Knoll
Center for Urological Treatment and Research, Nashville, Tennessee, USA
J Urol 155:144-6. 1996..We evaluated the efficacy and safety of yohimbine and isoxsuprine or pentoxifylline in the management of vasculogenic erectile dysfunction...
- Corpus cavernosum from men with vasculogenic impotence is partially resistant to adenosine relaxation due to endothelial A(2B) receptor dysfunctionMiguel Faria
Laboratorio de Farmacologia, Instituto de Ciencias Biomedicas de Abel Salazar, Universidade do Porto, L Prof Abel Salazar 2, 4099 003 Porto, Portugal
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 319:405-13. 2006..Endothelial dysfunction may be correlated with a loss of adenosine A(2B) receptor activity in penile vessels from men with vasculogenic ED...
- Testosterone undecanoate restores erectile function in a subset of patients with venous leakage: a series of case reportsAksam A Yassin
Clinic of Urology Andrology, Segeberger Kliniken, Norderstedt Hamburg, Germany
J Sex Med 3:727-35. 2006..However, there are limited research and data supporting this association in humans...
- Dramatic improvement of penile venous leakage upon testosterone administration. A case report and review of literatureA A Yassin
Clinic of Urology Andrology, Segeberger Kliniken, Norderstedt Hamburg, Germany
Andrologia 38:34-7. 2006..He was also testosterone deficient (1.8 ng ml(-1)). Upon testosterone administration his erectile function improved dramatically. Repeated cavernosography no longer showed venous leakage...
- The physiological role of androgens in penile erection: regulation of corpus cavernosum structure and functionAbdulmaged Traish
Boston University School of Medicine, Department of Urology, Boston, MA 02118, USA
J Sex Med 2:759-70. 2005....
- Effect of hypothyroidism on the nitrergic relaxant responses of corpus cavernosal smooth muscle in rabbitsBulent Sarac
Department of Pharmacology, School of Medicine, Cumhuriyet University, Silvas, Turkey
Int J Urol 13:58-63. 2006..However, several recent studies have reported evidence of hormonal abnormalities in 25-35% of impotent men. Hypothyroidism has been reported to occur in 6% of impotent men...
- [Conservative treatment of erectile dysfunction]György Papp
Országos Gyógyintézeti Központ, Andrológiai és Urológiai Osztály, Budapest
Orv Hetil 144:1061-6. 2003..According to authors' opinion, the qualitative development of vasoactive drugs (efficacy extension and side-effect reduction) that can be simply and conveniently applied in the future...
- Sildenafil in erectile dysfunction: a critical reviewAndrea Salonia
Department of Urology, University Vita Salute San Raffaele, Milan, Italy
Curr Med Res Opin 19:241-62. 2003..The review ends with several considerations regarding the direct and/or indirect impact of sildenafil over quality of life and quality of partnership...
- Management of honeymoon impotenceRany Shamloul
Department of Andrology, Sexology and STDs, Cairo University, Cairo, Egypt
J Sex Med 3:361-6. 2006..While its exact causes are not yet elucidated, many studies recognize this problem as related to performance anxiety...
- Androgens improve cavernous vasodilation and response to sildenafil in patients with erectile dysfunctionAntonio Aversa
AFaR CRCCS, Ospedale Fatebenefratelli Isola Tiberina, Rome, Italy
Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 58:632-8. 2003..This led us to further investigate the effect(s) of androgen administration on cavernous arteries in patients failing sildenafil treatment...
- The effect of vascular endothelial growth factor and adeno-associated virus mediated brain derived neurotrophic factor on neurogenic and vasculogenic erectile dysfunction induced by hyperlipidemiaShahram S Gholami
Department of Urology, University of California, San Francisco, USA
J Urol 169:1577-81. 2003....
- Penile duplex pharmaco-ultrasonography revisited: revalidation of the parameters of the cavernous arterial responseT G W Speel
Department of Urology, University Medical Center, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
J Urol 169:216-20. 2003..We revalidate parameters of the cavernous arterial response (peak systolic blood flow velocity) and acceleration time using penile duplex pharmaco-ultrasonography...
- Effect of hypothyroidism on the NO/cGMP pathway of corpus cavernosum in rabbitsHakan Kilicarslan
Department of Urology, Faculty of Medicine, Uludag University, Bursa, Turkey
J Sex Med 3:830-7. 2006..Hypothyroidism has been reported to occur in 6% of impotent men. There is some evidence suggesting that hypothyroidism may be a cause of impotence...
- Presence of LDL modified by myeloperoxidase in the penis in patients with vascular erectile dysfunction: a preliminary studyKarim Zouaoui Boudjeltia
Experimental Medicine Laboratory, ULB 222 Unit, ISPPC, CHU de Charleroi, Hôpital A Vésale, Montigny le Tilleul, Belgium
Eur Urol 51:262-8; discussion 268-9. 2007..We have developed a new monoclonal antibody against LDL modified by MPO (Mox-LDL) and have used it on penile biopsies from patients operated on for penile implant...
- Color Doppler appearance of penile cavernosal-spongiosal communications in patients with normal and impaired erectionMichele Bertolotto
Dipartimento di Scienze Cliniche, Morfologiche e Tecnologiche, Università du Trieste, 34149 Trieste, Italy
Eur Radiol 12:2287-93. 2002..During phase 5 (systolic peak reduction) all CSC disappeared. Color Doppler US allows evaluation of CSC both in patients with normal and impaired erection...
- Peak systolic velocities may be falsely low in young patients with erectile dysfunctionRany Shamloul
Department of Andrology, Sexology and STDs, Cairo University, Cairo, Egypt
J Sex Med 3:138-43. 2006..However, several studies have demonstrated that in some cases Color Doppler Ultrasound (CDU) testing may result in wrong diagnosis because of anxiety and increased sympathetic stimulation...
- [Erectile dysfunction--value of neurophysiologic diagnostic procedures]M J Hilz
Neurologische Klinik der Universität Erlangen Nürnberg
Urologe A 42:1345-50. 2003..In addition, the assessment of heart rate variability at rest, during metronomic breathing, Valsalva maneuver, and active standing might be helpful to identify an autonomic neuropathy as the cause of erectile dysfunction...
- The progression of the penile vein: could it be recurrent?Shyh Chyan Chen
Microsurgical Potency Reconstruction and Research Center, Taiwan Adventist Hospital, 424 Pa Te Road, Sec 2, Taipei 105, Taiwan, ROC
J Androl 26:53-60. 2005..We therefore believe that the clinical recurrence may not be due to venous regeneration, and penile venous surgery, if properly performed, may be durable, although larger studies will be required...
- Plasma transforming growth factor-beta1 levels in patients with erectile dysfunctionJi Kan Ryu
Department of Urology, Inha University School of Medicine, Incheon, Korea
Asian J Androl 6:349-53. 2004..To evaluate the plasma TGF-beta1 level in erectile dysfunction (ED) patients of various causes...
- Phentolamine re-dosing during penile dynamic colour Doppler ultrasound: a practical method to abolish a false diagnosis of venous leakage in patients with erectile dysfunctionP Gontero
Departments of Urology and Radiology, King s College Hospital, Denmark Hill, London SE5 9RS, UK
Br J Radiol 77:922-6. 2004..It is essential to ensure cavernosal relaxation using phentolamine before a Doppler US diagnosis of venous leak is made. This two-stage assessment will allow this to be done efficiently and with a low risk of priapism...
- Erectile dysfunction in smokers: a penile dynamic and vascular studyAllen D Seftel
J Urol 173:2076. 2005
- Initial validation of a novel rat model of vasculogenic erectile dysfunction with generalized atherosclerosisK Park
Urology, Seoul National University College of Medicine, Chongno Gu, Seoul, Republic of Korea
Int J Impot Res 17:424-30. 2005..Based on these results, our study demonstrates that combination treatment of cholesterol diet with L-NAME would be used as a rapid, effective protocol of developing atherosclerotic rat model of VED...
- The synergism of penile venous surgery and oral sildenafil in treating patients with erectile dysfunctionHsien Sheng Wen
Microsurgical Potency Reconstruction and Research Center, Taiwan Adventist Hospital, Taipei Medical University, Taipei, Taiwan
Int J Androl 28:297-303. 2005..It appears that together, oral sildenafil and penile venous surgery may provide an encouraging solution to impotent patients with veno-occlusive dysfunction who are non-responders to sildenafil...
- [Investigation of diabetic men with erectile dysfunction to determine coronary flow reserve (CFR) and cardiac risk under medication with sildenafil (Viagra)]W Merkle
Fachbereiche Urologie, Kardiologie und Diabetologie, Stiftung Deutsche Klinik für Diagnostik GmbH, Wiesbaden
Aktuelle Urol 35:222-7. 2004....
- Penile blunt trauma induced veno-occlusive erectile dysfunctionC W Tsao
National Defense Medical Center, National Defense University, Taipei, Taiwan, ROC
Arch Androl 50:151-4. 2004..Penile venous ligation, especially on the site-specific veins, is still the choice of treatment for the trauma-induced penile veno-occlusive erectile dysfunction, and the result is satisfactory...
- Incidentally diagnosed Peyronie's disease in men presenting with erectile dysfunctionA Kadioglu
Section of Andrology, Department of Urology, Medical Faculty of Istanbul, University of Istanbul, Istanbul, Turkey
Int J Impot Res 16:540-3. 2004..Our data indicate that one should always consider the possibility of PD in older patients with diabetes, presenting with only ED...
- Evaluation of penile revascularization for erectile dysfunction: a 10-year follow-upY Vardi
Department of Neuro Urology, Rambam Medical Center, Haifa, Israel
Int J Impot Res 16:181-6. 2004..We found that the cure rate of this procedure is maintained and long-term follow-up shows good results, especially in the young nonsmokers...
- Anatomic variations of cavernous arteries and their effect on measurement of hemodynamic parameters: a power Doppler studyHideo Sakamoto
Department of Urology, Showa University School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
Urology 63:539-44. 2004..To assess the cavernous arterial (CA) anatomy with power Doppler imaging and evaluate the effects of any anatomic variations on the measurement of hemodynamic parameters...
- Tunica albuginea overlapping: a novel technique for the treatment of erectile dysfunctionA Shafik
Department of Surgery and Experimental Research, Faculty of Medicine, Cairo University, 2 Talaat Harb Street, Cairo 11121, Egypt
Andrologia 37:180-4. 2005..Microscopic examination of TA biopsies showed atrophy of the collagen fibres. Tunical overlapping aims at correction of TA flabbiness, corporal tissue support and improving of veno-occlusive mechanism...
- The pleiotropic effects of inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS) on the physiology and pathology of penile erectionN F Gonzalez-Cadavid
LABioMed at Harbor UCLA Medical Center, Torrance, CA, and Department of Urology, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Curr Pharm Des 11:4041-6. 2005....
- Polymorphism of endothelial nitric oxide synthase gene in patients with erectile dysfunctionErkan Erkan
Department of Urology, Haseki Teaching and Research Hospital, Istanbul, Turkey
J Sex Med 3:69-75; discussion 75-6. 2006..The eNOS gene is located on the seventh somatic chromosome and the polymorphism of this gene has been reported to cause changes in the structure of enzyme system, resulting in disturbance of its activity...
- Effect of chronic lithium administration on endothelium-dependent relaxation of rat corpus cavernosum: the role of nitric oxide and cyclooxygenase pathwaysHamed Sadeghipour
Department of Pharmacology, School of Medicine, Sina Hospital, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
BJU Int 99:177-82. 2007....
- Does the clinical efficacy of vardenafil correlate with its effect on the endothelial function of cavernosal arteries? A pilot studyEvsey B Mazo
Russian State Medical University, Urology Department, Moscow, Russian Federation
BJU Int 98:1054-8. 2006....
- Sildenafil citrate for penile hemodynamic determination: an alternative to intracavernosal agents in Doppler ultrasound evaluation of erectile dysfunctionM M Baçar
Department of Urology, University of Kirikkale Faculty of Medicine, Ankara, Turkey
Urology 57:623-6; discussion 626-7. 2001..To suggest a new noninvasive method for penile Doppler ultrasound (PDU) evaluation of erectile dysfunction using oral sildenafil citrate as an erection induction agent...
- Imaging for erectile dysfunctionIan Eardley
St James s University Hospital, Leeds, UK
Curr Opin Urol 12:143-7. 2002..In addition, the new techniques of functional magnetic resonance imaging and positron emission tomography scanning are beginning to offer new insights into the central mechanisms which control erections...
- Penile revascularization surgery in erectile dysfunctionD Hauri
Urologische Universitätsklinik, Zurich, Switzerland
Urol Int 70:132-40. 2003..Our technique produces good results in patients with diagnosed erectile dysfunction of vascular origin with a spontaneous erection when the occasion arises...
- Human neural crest stem cells transplanted in rat penile corpus cavernosum to repair erectile dysfunctionYun Seob Song
Department of Urology, Soonchunhyang University School of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
BJU Int 102:220-4; discussion 224. 2008..K10 (K10) immortalized NCSC line was transplanted into the penile cavernosum of adult rats, as one of the causes of erectile dysfunction is damaged penile cavernous smooth muscle cells and sinus endothelial cells...
- Feasibility of dynamic 3-D color Doppler ultrasound for imaging penile vascular change in renal transplant patients with erectile dysfunction responding to sildenafilRatna Chatterjee
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, University College London, London, UK
Ultrasound Med Biol 34:885-91. 2008..Differentiation of penile vasculogenic impotence from other causes is important for treatment...
- Biomechanical analysis of penile erections: penile buckling behaviour under axial loading and radial compressionGerald W Timm
Department of Urologic Surgery, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN, USA
BJU Int 102:76-84. 2008....
- Corporeal structural and vascular micro architecture with X-ray micro computerized tomography in normal and diabetic rabbits: histopathological correlationD N Simopoulos
Department of Urology, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
J Urol 165:1776-82. 2001..These results suggest that 3-D x-ray micro CT with molecular analysis may be a powerful tool for examining the pathophysiology of diabetic erectile dysfunction...
- Why a combined intracavernosal injection with trimix and oral sildenafil is reliable therapy in the ultrasonographic evaluation of erectile dysfunctionJong Kwan Park
Department of Urology, Medical School, and Institute for Medical Sciences, Chonbuk National University, Chonbuk, Korea
BJU Int 102:993-7. 2008....
- Honeymoon impotence: psychogenic or organic in origin?M F Usta
Department of Urology, Akdeniz University Faculty of Medicine, Antalya, Turkey
Urology 57:758-62. 2001..We investigated the underlying penile vascular abnormalities in patients presenting with honeymoon impotence and sought to differentiate between psychogenic and organic etiologies...
- Functional and morphological improvement in erectile tissue of hypertensive rats by long-term combined therapy with phosphodiesterase type 5 inhibitor and losartanJorge Eduardo Toblli
Laboratory of Experimental Medicine, Hospital Aleman, Buenos Aires
J Sex Med 4:1291-303. 2007..Phosphodiesterase type 5 (PDE5) inhibitors and angiotensin II receptor blockers (ARB) are both common and efficient therapy in patients with ED and arterial hypertension, respectively...
- Enhanced external counterpulsation in patients with coronary artery disease-associated erectile dysfunction. Part II: impact of disease duration and treatment coursesAhmed I El-Sakka
Department of Urology, Suez Canal University, Ismailia, Egypt
J Sex Med 4:1448-53. 2007..Recent results have demonstrated a positive impact of EECP on patients with ischemic heart disease (IHD)-associated erectile dysfunction (ED)...
- A three-dimensional model of the penis for analysis of tissue stresses during normal and abnormal erectionEran Linder-Ganz
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv 69978, Israel
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1101:464-76. 2007..The model's ability to determine internal stresses in the erect penis offers a new point of view on the mechanical factors involved with erection, and enables us to relate these data with different penile pathologies...
- Diagnostic steps in the evaluation of patients with erectile dysfunctionDimitrios Hatzichristou
Department of Urology and Center for Sexual and Reproductive Health, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Thessaloniki, Greece
J Urol 168:615-20. 2002..We determined the impact of the different diagnostic steps on the management strategy for erectile dysfunction...
- Sildenafil inhibits the up-regulation of phosphodiesterase type 5 elicited with nicotine and tumour necrosis factor-alpha in cavernosal vascular smooth muscle cells: mediation by superoxideMatthew R Hotston
Department of Urology, Bristol Royal Infirmary, Bristol, Avon, UK
BJU Int 99:612-8. 2007....
- Physiological regulation of penile arteries and veinsD Prieto
Departamento de Fisiologia, Facultad de Farmacia, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Madrid, Spain
Int J Impot Res 20:17-29. 2008..In addition, only few studies have investigated the changes in structure and function of penile arteries in cardiovascular risk situations leading to ED...
- Management of peripheral arterial disease of the lower extremities in elderly patientsWilbert S Aronow
Divisions of Cardiology and Geriatrics, Department of Medicine, New York Medical College, Valhalla, USA
J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 59:172-7. 2004..ischemia as manifested by rest pain, nonhealing ulcers, and/or infection or gangrene; and 3) vasculogenic impotence. However, amputation should be performed if tissue loss has progressed beyond the point of salvage, if ..
- Purification of a dimethyladenosine compound from silkworm pupae as a vasorelaxation substanceMi Young Ahn
Department of Agricultural Biology, National Institute of Agricultural Science and Technology, 61 Seodun Dong, Kwonsun Gu, Suwon 441 100, South Korea
J Ethnopharmacol 117:115-22. 2008..These results imply that dimethyladenosine may be a lead compound for the development and improvement of vasculogenic impotence drugs through phosphodiesterase inhibition and NO production in endothelial cells.
- Penile oxygen saturation in the flaccid and erect penis in men with and without erectile dysfunctionPriya Padmanabhan
New York University School of Medicine, Department of Urology, 150 East 32 Street, New York, NY 10012, USA
J Androl 28:223-8. 2007..Limited invasive blood gas measurements in human models have shown decreased oxygen tension in vasculogenic impotence. Normative data on flaccid and erect oxygen saturation (StO(2)) levels are lacking due to the invasive ..
- Cavernous arterial and arteriolar circulation in patients with erectile dysfunction: a power Doppler studyL M Sarteschi
Department of Andrology, University of Pisa School of Medicine, Italy
J Urol 159:428-32. 1998..Our preliminary data suggest that the intracavernous arteriolar component may have a significant role in the genesis of some forms of vasculogenic impotence.
- Management of peripheral arterial diseaseWilbert S Aronow
Divisions of Cardiology and Geriatrics, Department of Medicine, New York Medical College Westchester Medical Center, Valhalla, NY 10595, USA
Cardiol Rev 13:61-8. 2005..ischemia as manifested by rest pain, nonhealing ulcers, and/or infection or gangrene; and 3) vasculogenic impotence. However, amputation should be performed if tissue loss has progressed beyond the point of salvage, if ..
- Is obesity an underlying factor in erectile dysfunction?W S Chung
Department of Urology, Medical Research Center, Ewha Woman s University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Eur Urol 36:68-70. 1999..We conducted a study to evaluate the impact of obesity on erectile function in men with erectile dysfunction...
- Management of peripheral arterial disease of the lower extremitiesWilbert S Aronow
Department of Medicine, Division of Cardiology, New York Medical College, Valhalla, NY 10595, USA
Compr Ther 33:247-56. 2007..claudication in persons interfering with work or lifestyle, (2) limb salvage in persons with limb-threatening ischemia as manifested by rest pain, nonhealing ulcers, and/or infection or gangrene, and (3) vasculogenic impotence.
- Peripheral arterial disease in the elderlyWilbert S Aronow
Cardiology Division, Department of Medicine, New York Medical College, Valhalla, New York 10595, USA
Clin Interv Aging 2:645-54. 2007..claudication in patients interfering with work or lifestyle; (2) limb salvage in patients with limb-threatening ischemia as manifested by rest pain, nonhealing ulcers, and/or infection or gangrene; and (3) vasculogenic impotence.
- Is there a common pathophysiology of erectile dysfunction and how does this relate to new pharmacotherapies?C G Stief
Urologische Klinik, Medizinische Hochschule Hannover, Germany
Int J Impot Res 14:S11-6. 2002..However, some factors will render all imaginable forms of pharmacological options totally inefficient, thus necessitating forms of treatment other than pharmacotherapy...
- [Relationship between erectile dysfunction and cardiovascular disease]T Roumeguere
Service d Urologie, Hopital Erasme, U L B
Rev Med Brux 25:507-11. 2004..This is of importance to conduct appropriate approach of cardiac risk towards patients with erectile dysfunction to decrease morbidity of cardiovascular disease...
- The clinical characteristics of Peyronie's patients with notching deformityMurat Cakan
Section of Andrology, Department of Urology, Istanbul Faculty of Medicine, University of Istanbul, Istanbul, Turkey
J Sex Med 4:1174-8. 2007..Peyronie's patients with notching deformity represent a small percentage of disease population, and the features of these patients have not been well established yet...
- Penile Doppler ultrasound assessment of the cavernous arteriesGiuseppe Dachille
Clinica Urologica, Ospedale San Giacomo, Monopoli, Bari, Italy
Arch Ital Urol Androl 77:189-90. 2005....
- Metrics for evaluation of age-related changes in erectile capacity in a rodent modelWeixin Zhao
Wake Forest Institute for Regenerative Medicine, Wake Forest University Health Sciences, Medical Center Blvd, Winston Salem, NC 27157, USA
J Sex Med 6:1885-92. 2009..The observed penile erection can be characterized by the change in ICP and the ratio of ICP over blood pressure (BP; systemic blood pressure)...
- Sexual function in men treated for testicular cancerJakob Eberhard
Department of Oncology, Lund University Hospital, Lund, Sweden
J Sex Med 6:1979-89. 2009..Testicular germ cell cancer (TGCC) patients may be at risk of developing sexual dysfunction after treatment...
- A case of mechanical failure with proximal perforation at the time of revision surgeryMatteo Zanoni
Department of Urology, Vita Salute University, Milan, Italy
J Sex Med 6:2629-32; quiz 2633. 2009..Aims. To review and evaluate a case of a difficult IPP replacement surgery for ways to improve surgical techniques and outcomes...
- Does bicycling contribute to erectile dysfunction? Examining the evidenceWilliam O Brant
Northstar Urology, Vail Valley Medical Center, Vail, CO 81658, USA
Phys Sportsmed 37:44-53. 2009..Space limitations will confine our discussion to men, although these problems are also important in women...
- Insufficient response to venous stripping surgery: is the penile vein recurrent or residual?Geng Long Hsu
Microsurgical Potency Reconstruction and Research Center, Taiwan Adventist Hospital, Sec 2, Taipei, Taiwan, Republic of China
J Androl 27:700-6. 2006..In this study, we propose that the clinical relapse of erectile dysfunction is a result of "residual" veins rather than "recurrent" ones...
- Erectile dysfunction: anatomical parameters, etiology, diagnosis, and therapyE S E Hafez
Reproductive Health Center, Kiawah Island, South Carolina 29455, USA
Arch Androl 51:15-31. 2005..b>Vasculogenic impotence was evaluated by high-resolution ultrasonography and pulsed Doppler spectrum analysis...
- [Erectile dysfunction: indicator of end-organ damage in cardiovascular patients]Magnus Baumhakel
Klinik fur Innere Medizin III, Universitatsklinikum des Saarlandes, 66421, Homburg Saar
Med Klin (Munich) 104:309-13. 2009..Furthermore, different trials suggest erectile function as a strong predictor of cardiovascular events like myocardial infarction or stroke...
- Increased endothelial apoptotic cell density in human diabetic erectile tissue--comparison with clinical dataCarla Costa
Laboratory for Molecular Cell Biology, Faculty of Medicine of the University of Porto, Porto, Portugal
J Sex Med 6:826-35. 2009..Erectile dysfunction (ED) is a common complication of diabetes. Endothelial cell (EC) dysfunction is one of the main mechanisms of diabetic ED. However, loss of EC integrity has never been assessed in human diabetic corpus cavernosum...
- [Erectile dysfunction and cardiovascular disease]Roman Urek
Zavod za kardiovaskularne bolesti, Klinika za unutarnje bolesti Medicinskog fakulteta fakulteta Sveucilista u Zagrebu, Opca bolnica Sveti Duh, Zagreb, Hrvatska
Acta Med Croatica 60:51-3. 2006..Cardiologists have a prominent role in treating ED...
- Bicycle riding, perineal trauma, and erectile dysfunction: data and solutionsIrwin Goldstein
San Diego Sexual Medicine, Alvarado Hospital, 6655 Alvarado Road, San Diego, CA 92120, USA
Curr Urol Rep 8:491-7. 2007....
- Duplex ultrasonography detects clinically significant anomalies of penile arterial vasculature affecting surgical approach to penile straighteningEdward M Schaeffer
Department of Urology, James Buchanan Brady Urological Institute, Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Urology 67:166-9. 2006..To determine the frequency of aberrant penile arterial anatomy in men with Peyronie's disease (PD) and the potential impact on the surgical approach to penile straightening...
- Lifestyle management of erectile dysfunction: the role of cardiovascular and concomitant risk factorsRaymond C Rosen
Department of Psychiatry, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, Piscataway, New Jersey 08854, USA
Am J Cardiol 96:76M-79M. 2005..Taken together, these studies support the value of risk factor modification and lifestyle change in the clinical management in men with ED and concomitant cardiovascular illness...
- NCEP-ATPIII-defined metabolic syndrome, type 2 diabetes mellitus, and prevalence of hypogonadism in male patients with sexual dysfunctionGiovanni Corona
Andrology Unit, Department of Clinical Physiopathology, University of Florence, Fiale Pieraccini 6, 50139 Florence, Italy
J Sex Med 4:1038-45. 2007..Type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM) and metabolic syndrome (MetS) are characterized by insulin resistance and often associated with male hypogonadism...
- [Management of erectile dysfunction in the cardiac patient]C Gratzke
Urologische Klinik und Poliklinik der LMU München
Dtsch Med Wochenschr 130:2899-903. 2005
- Phosphodiesterase type 5 inhibitors in the management of erectile dysfunction secondary to treatments for prostate cancer: findings from a Cochrane systematic reviewBridget Candy
Marie Curie Palliative Care Research Unit, Department of Mental Health Sciences, Royal Free and University College Medical School, London, UK
BJU Int 102:426-31. 2008
- Erectile dysfunction: the need to be evaluated, the right to be treatedHemant Solomon
Department of Internal Medicine, Mayo Clinic Rochester, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Am Heart J 150:620-6. 2005..Specific guidelines for the management of ED in cardiac patients, produced by 2 expert panels, can also be applied to men without known cardiovascular disease...
- Peak systolic velocity in patients with arterial erectile dysfunction and peripheral arterial diseaseE Vicari
Section of Endocrinology, Andrology and Internal Medicine, Department of Biomedical Sciences, University of Catania, Catania, Italy
Int J Impot Res 18:175-9. 2006..Therefore, ED patients with a severe arterial insufficiency should undergo an extensive echo-duplex examination...
- [Effect of Zhenyangjian on the penile hemodynamics of the patients with arterial erectile dysfunction]Jin Tao Ma
Department of Andrology, Nanjing Jinling Andrology Hospital, Nanjing, Jiangsu 210029, China
Zhonghua Nan Ke Xue 11:157-9. 2005..To explore an efficacious therapy for arterial erectile dysfunction (ED) by observing the effect of the Chinese traditional medicine Zhenyangjian on the penile hemodynamics of the patient...
- Preference for oral sildenafil or intracavernosal injection in patients with erectile dysfunction already using intracavernosal injection for > 1 yearS C Kim
Department of Urology, College of Medicine, Chung Ang University, Seoul, Korea
BJU Int 92:277-80. 2003..They found that sperm morphology and density remained unchanged, but there were significant improvements in sperm mobility. There was also an improvement in hormone levels and sexual function...
- I am a male in my late 50s. I have heart disease and erectile dysfunction. Are the two related?Gary S Francis
Coronary Intensive Care Unit, Cleveland Clinic, USA
Heart Advis 5:8. 2002
- Diabetes impairs endothelium-dependent relaxation of human penile vascular tissues mediated by NO and EDHFJavier Angulo
Fundación para la Investigación y el Desarrollo en Andrología 28304, Madrid, Spain
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 312:1202-8. 2003....
- Report of erectile dysfunction after therapy with beta-blockers is related to patient knowledge of side effects and is reversed by placeboAntonello Silvestri
Research Unit Department of Medical Sciences, San Raffaele Roma, Tosinvest Sanita, Roma, Italy
Eur Heart J 24:1928-32. 2003....
- [Surgical therapy of erectile dysfunction. Current status]F J Martinez Portillo
Klinik und Poliklinik fur Urologie, Universität Schleswig Holstein, Campus Kiel
Urologe A 42:1337-44. 2003..There are convincing long-term results with a high degree of patient and partner satisfaction, high patient acceptance and a good functional durability of the mostly three-part hydraulic implants...
- [Diagnosis of erectile dysfunction--what is still needed today?]W H Weiske
Urologe A 42:1317-21. 2003..Invasive testing for ED has decreased due to the high responder rate for oral PDE-5 inhibitors...
- Effect of radical retropubic prostatectomy on erectile function, evaluated before and after surgery using colour Doppler ultrasonography and nocturnal penile tumescence monitoringY Kawanishi
Department of Urology, Takamatsu Red Cross Hospital, 4 1 3, Bancho, Takamatsu, Kagawa, Japan 760 0017
BJU Int 88:244-7. 2001..To assess the effect of radical retropubic prostatectomy on erectile function, by evaluating objectively patients' erectile function before and after surgery...
- Hair analysis for pharmaceutical drugs. II. Effective extraction and determination of sildenafil (Viagra) and its N-desmethyl metabolite in rat and human hair by GC-MSK Saisho
National Institute of Health Sciences, Tokyo, Japan
Biol Pharm Bull 24:1384-8. 2001..The hair concentrations of SDF and norSDF in the two patients were 19.8 and 55.9 ng/mg, and 1.7 and 5.6 ng/mg, respectively...
- Intracavernosal injection of vascular endothelial growth factor induces nitric oxide synthase isoformsC S Lin
Knuppe Molecular Urology Laboratory, Department of Urology, School of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
BJU Int 89:955-60. 2002....
- [Dynamic infusion cavernosometry and cavernosography (DICC)]Koichi Nagao
First Department of Urology, Toho University School of Medicine
Nihon Rinsho 60:192-5. 2002
- Value of power Doppler sonography in the investigation of erectile dysfunctionH C Klingler
Department of Urology, University of Vienna, Austria
Eur Urol 36:320-6. 1999..Aim of this study was to determine the value of PD to demonstrate penile vascular pathophysiology as compared with conventional techniques...
- Hemodynamic characterization of a functional erection. Arterial and corporeal veno-occlusive function in patients with a positive intracavernosal injection testD G Hatzichristou
Department of Urology, School of Medicine, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Greece
Eur Urol 36:60-7. 1999..To characterize hemodynamically a functional/rigid erection and study the hypothesis that a positive intracavernosal injection test indicates normal arterial and corporeal veno-occlusive function...
- Bupropion and sexual function: a placebo-controlled prospective study on diabetic men with erectile dysfunctionD L Rowland
Department of Psychology, Valparaiso University, IN 46383, USA
J Clin Psychopharmacol 17:350-7. 1997....
- Congruence between veno-occlusive parameters during dynamic infusion cavernosometry: assessing the need for cavernosographyJ P Mulhall
Department of Urology, Weill Medical College of Cornell University, New York Presbyterian Hospital, 525 E 68th Street, New York, NY 10021, USA
Int J Impot Res 16:146-9. 2004..These data further undermine the value of cavernosography, particularly in men with low-grade venous leak...
- Mechanisms of vasculogenic erectile dysfunction after kidney transplantationIbrahim A Abdel-Hamid
Mansoura Faculty of Medicine, Andrology Department, Mansoura, Egypt
BJU Int 94:497-500. 2004
- [Vascular risk factors and erectile dysfunction]Yoshikazu Sato
Department of Urology, Sapporo Medical University
Nihon Rinsho 60:322-5. 2002
- Erectile dysfunction severity might be associated with poor cardiovascular prognosis in diabetic menRafi J Heruti
Reuth Medical Center Sexual Rehabilitation Center, Tel Aviv, Israel
J Sex Med 4:465-71. 2007..On the other hand, an abnormal heart rate profile during exercise stress testing predicts poor cardiovascular prognosis in high-risk patients, such as diabetic men, even in the absence of CHD...
- Enhanced external counterpulsation in patients with coronary artery disease-associated erectile dysfunction. Part I: effects of risk factorsAhmed El-Sakka
Department of Urology, Suez Canal University, Ismailia, Egypt
J Sex Med 4:771-9. 2007..Recently it has been demonstrated that enhanced external counterpulsation (EECP) could improve erectile dysfunction (ED) in patients with refractory ischemic heart disease (IHD)...
- Low testosterone is associated with an increased risk of MACE lethality in subjects with erectile dysfunctionGiovanni Corona
Andrology Unit, Department of Clinical Physiopathology, University of Florence, Florence, Italy
J Sex Med 7:1557-64. 2010....
- T-786C polymorphism in promoter of eNOS gene as genetic risk factor in patients with erectile dysfunction in Turkish populationIncilay Sinici
Department of Biochemistry, Hacettepe University Faculty of Medicine, Ankara, Turkey
Urology 75:955-60. 2010....
- Chronic daily tadalafil prevents the corporal fibrosis and veno-occlusive dysfunction that occurs after cavernosal nerve resectionIstvan Kovanecz
Urology Research Laboratory, Los Angeles Biomedical Research Institute at Harbor UCLA Medical Center, Torrance, CA 90502, USA
BJU Int 101:203-10. 2008....
- Increased levels of osteocalcin-positive endothelial progenitor cells in patients affected by erectile dysfunction and cavernous atherosclerosisCarlo Foresta
University of Padova, Department of Histology, Microbiology, and Medical Biotechnologies, Centre for Male Gamete Cryopreservation, Padova, Italy
J Sex Med 7:751-7. 2010..Recently, increased levels of osteocalcin (OCN)-positive EPC have been reported in coronary patients...
- MOLECULAR MECHANISMS OF CORPUS CAVERNOSUM FIBROSISRobert Moreland; Fiscal Year: 1999..b>Vasculogenic impotence secondary to veno-occlusive dysfunction from structural changes is a common cause of erectile impairment ..
- TREATMENT AND PREVENTION OF IMPOTENCETom Lue; Fiscal Year: 1990..In addition, we hope to perfect the treatment of vasculogenic impotence with new procedures that will correct arterial insufficiency and venous incompetence...
- FEMALE SEXUAL AROUSAL: CLITORAL AND VAGINAL PHYSIOLOGYAbdulmaged Traish; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- CELL-SELECTIVE EXPRESSION OF FIBROTIC GENE PATHWAYSNestor Gonzalez Cadavid; Fiscal Year: 2008..We expect that our studies would lead to the detection of novel targets of antifibrotic therapy for penile and vascular diseases of considerable public health impact. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- 2007 AUA/SBUR Summer Research Conference "Clinical Trials and Outcomes Research"David Penson; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- ERECTILE DYSFUNCTION AND NITRIC OXIDE SYNTHASE IN AGINGNestor Gonzalez Cadavid; Fiscal Year: 2006....
- Mesenchymal Stem Cells for Myocardial InfarctionRobert Kloner; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Volume-Outcomes in Incontinence SurgeryJennifer Anger; Fiscal Year: 2005..The primary outcome will be re-operation rates, repeat sling procedures (for failures), and other postoperative complications, stratified by high and low volume surgeons and hospitals. ..
- Biologic Ventricular Assist DeviceRobert Kloner; Fiscal Year: 2004..Identification and characterization of transplants will be carried out with PCR analysis of the Y chromosome (male cells into female host), detailed histologic analysis and immunostaining for muscle cell markers. ..
- COLLABORATIVE R01-CARDIAC GRAFTS-FUNCTIONAL ANALYSESRobert Kloner; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- Cardio-vascular Impact of Inhaled Multi-wall Carbon NanotubesChristopher J Wingard; Fiscal Year: 2010..Test the hypothesis that inhalation of MWCNT alters vascular reactivity via impared adenosine signaling. Specific Aim 4. Assess the role of endothiela nitric oxide, oxidative stress and vascular function in MWCNT cardiotoxicity. ..