Genomes and Genes
Summary: A chronic form of schizophrenia characterized primarily by the presence of persecutory or grandiose delusions, often associated with hallucination.
Publications234 found, 100 shown here
- The schizophrenic mindSharon Begley
Newsweek 139:44-51. 2002
- Atypical and typical neuroleptics in acute schizophrenia and related delusional disorders. Drug choice, switching and outcome under naturalistic treatment conditionsWolfgang Gaebel
Department of Psychiatry, Heinrich Heine University Dusseldorf, Bergische Landstrasse 2, 40629 Düsseldorf, Germany
Eur Arch Psychiatry Clin Neurosci 253:175-84. 2003..Reasons and implications of these findings considering the methodological limitations are discussed...
- Clozapine augmentation with aripiprazole for negative symptomsLaura A Clarke
J Clin Psychiatry 67:675-6. 2006
- The influence of emotion clarity on emotional prosody identification in paranoid schizophreniaD R Bach
University Hospital of Psychiatry, University of Bern, Bern 60, Switzerland
Psychol Med 39:927-38. 2009..It is unclear whether this effect is specific to face processing or part of a more general emotion recognition deficit...
- An association study between polymorphisms in three genes of 14-3-3 (tyrosine 3-monooxygenase/tryptophan 5-monooxygenase activation protein) family and paranoid schizophrenia in northern Chinese populationYanbin Jia
National Laboratory of Medical Molecular Biology, Institute of Basic Medical Sciences, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences and Peking Union Medical College, Beijing 100005, China
Eur Psychiatry 19:377-9. 2004We performed an association study between three SNPs in the genes of 14-3-3 family and paranoid schizophrenia. SNP rs983583 G/A in the YWHAZ gene showed significant association with paranoid schizophrenia...
- Functional disintegration in paranoid schizophrenia using resting-state fMRIYuan Zhou
National Laboratory of Pattern Recognition, Institute of Automation, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing 100080, PR China
Schizophr Res 97:194-205. 2007..Patients with paranoid schizophrenia (N=18) and healthy volunteers (N=18) underwent a resting-state fMRI scan...
- Functional polymorphism in the interleukin-6 and interleukin-10 genes in patients with paranoid schizophrenia--a case-control studyMonika Paul-Samojedny
Department of Medical Genetics, Medical University of Silesia, Ostrogorska 30, 41 200 Sosnowiec, Poland
J Mol Neurosci 42:112-9. 2010..to identify whether polymorphisms of interleukin (IL)-6 and IL-10 are risk factors for the development of paranoid schizophrenia in case-control study...
- Suspicious minds: the psychology of persecutory delusionsDaniel Freeman
Department of Psychology, Institute of Psychiatry, King s College London, Denmark Hill, London, UK
Clin Psychol Rev 27:425-57. 2007..Ten key future research questions are identified, including the need for researchers to consider factors important to the different dimensions of delusional experience...
- Selective loss of cerebral cortical sigma, but not PCP binding sites in schizophreniaA D Weissman
Neuroscience Branch, National Institute on Drug Abuse, Baltimore, MD 21224
Biol Psychiatry 29:41-54. 1991..These data provide the first evidence for alterations in sigma binding sites in schizophrenia, and suggest that selective sigma ligands may be useful in the treatment of the disorder...
- Changes in central serotonergic function as a correlate of duration of illness in paranoid schizophreniaElias K Angelopoulos
Athens University, Medical School, Psychiatric Clinic, Eginition Hospital, Vas Sophias 74, Athens 115 28, Greece
Psychiatry Res 110:9-17. 2002..The results provide evidence that the persistence of psychotic psychopathology induces secondary neuroadaptive effects, which seem to involve changes in central serotonergic function...
- EEG phase synchronization in patients with paranoid schizophreniaPetr Bob
First Faculty of Medicine, Center for Neuropsychiatric Research of Traumatic Stress, Charles University, Prague, Czech Republic
Neurosci Lett 447:73-7. 2008..31 adult schizophrenic outpatients with diagnosis of paranoid schizophrenia (mean age 27.4) were assessed in the study...
- Hypothesis: grandiosity and guilt cause paranoia; paranoid schizophrenia is a psychotic mood disorder; a reviewCharles Raymond Lake
Department of Psychiatry, University of Kansas Medical Center, Kansas City, KS 66160 7341, USA
Schizophr Bull 34:1151-62. 2008..as Kraepelin initially implied, may be unrecognized psychotic mood disorders, so the relationship of paranoid schizophrenia to psychotic bipolar disorder warrants reevaluation...
- Relationship between cardiovagal modulation and psychotic state in patients with paranoid schizophreniaKarl Jürgen Bär
Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, Friedrich Schiller University, Jena, Germany
Psychiatry Res 157:255-7. 2008..Mainly we found that patients displaying stronger psychotic symptoms as assessed by the Brief Psychiatric Rating Scale exhibit more severe cardiac ANS disturbances compared with controls...
- Olanzapine-induced neuroleptic malignant syndrome in a patient with paranoid schizophreniaAshish Srivastava
Institute of Psychiatry and Human Behaviour, Bambolim, Goa, India
Psychiatry Clin Neurosci 63:119-21. 2009..3-6) This case report emphasizes the importance of being cautious when rapidly increasing doses of olanzapine are used in patients with psychiatric illnesses...
- Dissociative symptoms and interregional EEG cross-correlations in paranoid schizophreniaPetr Bob
Center for Neuropsychiatric Research of Traumatic Stress and Department of Psychiatry, 1st Faculty of Medicine, Charles University, Ke Karlovu 11, 128 00 Prague, Czech Republic
Psychiatry Res 177:37-40. 2010..Positive and Negative Syndrome Scale) and the Dissociative Experiences Scale (DES) in 58 patients with paranoid schizophrenia. The results show statistically significant Spearman correlations of the DES with cross-correlation ..
- Sensitization, epileptic-like symptoms and local synchronization in patients with paranoid schizophreniaPetr Bob
Center for Neuropsychiatric Research of Traumatic Stress, First Faculty of Medicine, Charles University, Prague, Czech Republic
Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry 34:143-6. 2010..information rate (CIR) in 8 EEG signals recorded at different cortical areas in 44 patients with paranoid schizophrenia. The values of local synchronization that could reflect sensitization related changes in EEG activities of ..
- Gray matter abnormalities in paranoid schizophrenia and their clinical correlationsTae Hyon Ha
Department of Psychiatry, Seoul National University College of Medicine, 28 Yongon Dong, Chongno Gu, Seoul, South Korea
Psychiatry Res 132:251-60. 2004..Regional gray matter concentrations of magnetic resonance (MR) images from 35 patients with paranoid schizophrenia were compared with those from 35 age- and sex-matched controls, and their clinical correlations were ..
- Subtelomeric deletion of 18p in an adult with paranoid schizophrenia and mental retardationDusica Babovic-Vuksanovic
Department of Medical Genetics, Mayo Clinic and Mayo Foundation, Rochester, Minnesota 559905, USA
Am J Med Genet A 124:318-22. 2004..is a 42-year-old man with a history of developmental delay, moderate mental retardation, and symptoms of paranoid schizophrenia since adolescence...
- [Effect of clozapine and risperidone on serum cytokine levels in patients with first-episode paranoid schizophrenia]Lu xian Lü
Second Affiliated Hospital, Xinxiang Medical College, Xinxiang 453002, China
Di Yi Jun Yi Da Xue Xue Bao 24:1251-4. 2004To study the effects of clozapine and risperidone on serum cytokine levels in patients with first-episode paranoid schizophrenia, and explore the role of the cytokines in the psychopathological basis of the illness.
- Interpretation of congruent and incongruent affective communications in paranoid schizophreniaP J Davis
School of Applied Psychology, Griffith University, Mt Gravatt, Queensland 4111, Australia
Br J Clin Psychol 40:249-59. 2001It was hypothesized that people with paranoid schizophrenia would differ from depressed and normal participants in their interpretation of complex communications in which the affect conveyed verbally was either congruent or incongruent ..
- Acute phase proteins as biological markers of negative psychopathology in paranoid schizophreniaA L Morera
Departamento de Medicina Interna, Dermatología y Psiquiatría, Facultad de Medicina, Universidad de La Laguna, Tenerife, Spain
Actas Esp Psiquiatr 35:249-52. 2007Acute inflammatory response is one of the pathophysiological elements involved in the etiology of schizophrenia. This paper aims to study the relationship between Acute Phase Proteins (APPs) and psychopathology in paranoid schizophrenia.
- No association between polymorphisms in three genes of cytochrome p450 family and paranoid schizophrenia in northern Chinese Han populationYanbin Jia
National Laboratory of Medical Molecular Biology, Institute of Basic Medical Sciences, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences and Peking Union Medical College, 5 Dong Dan San Tiao, Beijing 100005, China
Eur Psychiatry 19:374-6. 2004..Thus we obtained no evidence for the involvement of the polymorphisms in paranoid schizophrenia in the population investigated.
- Disease biomarkers in cerebrospinal fluid of patients with first-onset psychosisJeffrey T J Huang
Institute of Biotechnology, University of Cambridge, Cambridge, United Kingdom
PLoS Med 3:e428. 2006..The identification of biological markers (so-called biomarkers) of psychosis is a fundamental step towards a better understanding of the pathogenesis of psychosis and holds the potential for more objective testing methods...
- Prolactin and estradiol serum levels in unmedicated male paranoid schizophrenia patientsMichael Segal
Flügelman s Mazra Mental Health Medical Center, Doar Na Ashrat, 25201, Acre, Israel
Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry 31:378-82. 2007..levels are associated with low prolactin levels, alleged hyperdopaminergic tone and psychotic breakdown in paranoid schizophrenia. The results of the present study further support our previous report of the association between prolactin ..
- The neural basis of hallucinations and delusionsChris Frith
Wellcome Department of Imaging Neuroscience, Institute of Neurology, University College London, 12 Queen Square, London WC1N 3BG, UK
C R Biol 328:169-75. 2005..Further research is needed to explore the precise involvement of long-range connections in the mechanisms of forward modelling...
- 38-year-old man with priapism and a history of paranoid schizophreniaAxel Pflueger
Mayo Graduate School of Medicine, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, Minn 55905, USA
Mayo Clin Proc 80:111-4. 2005
- Anterior cingulate metabolism correlates with stroop errors in paranoid schizophrenia patientsT E Nordahl
Center for Functional Imaging, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, University of California, Berkeley, CA 94720, USA
Neuropsychopharmacology 25:139-48. 2001..In this study we follow up with an examination of paranoid schizophrenia outpatients and controls with very high resolution positron emission tomography (PET) and the longer half-..
- Male patients with paranoid schizophrenia have greater ACTH and cortisol secretion in response to metoclopramide-induced AVP releasePatricia Walsh
North West Kildare Mental Health Services, Kilcock, Co Kildare, Ireland
Psychoneuroendocrinology 30:431-7. 2005..in response to metoclopramide in 10 drug-naive, first-episode male patients with a DSM IV diagnosis of paranoid schizophrenia and compared them to healthy control subjects matched for age, sex and smoking status...
- Working memory and multi-tasking in paranoid schizophrenia with and without comorbid substance use disorderPatrizia Thoma
Institute of Cognitive Neuroscience, Department of Neuropsychology, Ruhr University of Bochum, Germany
Addiction 103:774-86. 2008..The present study sought to determine whether addicted and non-addicted schizophrenic patients are impaired differentially on the executive abilities of working memory and multi-tasking which are relevant for maintaining abstinence...
- Dysregulation of arousal and amygdala-prefrontal systems in paranoid schizophreniaLeanne M Williams
The Brain Dynamics Centre, Westmead Hospital and University of Sydney, NSW, Australia
Am J Psychiatry 161:480-9. 2004..It was predicted that paranoid patients would be distinguished by a disjunction of hyperarousal but reduced amygdala and medial prefrontal activity relative to both healthy comparison subjects and patients with nonparanoid schizophrenia...
- Association study of an SNP combination pattern in the dopaminergic pathway in paranoid schizophrenia: a novel strategy for complex disordersQ Xu
National Laboratory of Medical Molecular Biology, Institute of Basic Medical Sciences, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences, Peking Union Medical College, Beijing, China
Mol Psychiatry 9:510-21. 2004..strategy in seeking the combined effect of susceptibility genes for a complex disorder by using paranoid schizophrenia as an example...
- Greater impairment in negative emotion evaluation ability in patients with paranoid schizophreniaSuk Kyoon An
Department of Psychiatry, Yonsei University College of Medicine, Seodaemun gu, Seoul 120 752, Korea
Yonsei Med J 47:343-53. 2006..The reverse was true on trials of the negative pictures. Patients with schizophrenia, especially paranoid schizophrenia, committed more errors in trials of the positive pictures when the correct response key was the negative ..
- Ego functions in relation to stressful life events and indices of psychopathology in paranoid schizophreniaJayanti Basu
Department of Applied Psychology, Calcutta University, India
Psychol Rep 95:1248-52. 2004..namely, Psychoticism, Anxiety, and Depression among 60 Bengali adult patients suffering from Paranoid Schizophrenia. Adapted versions of Bellak's Ego Function Assessment-M, Eysenck's Personality Questionnaire, Beck ..
- Lamotrigine-associated exacerbation of positive symptoms in paranoid schizophreniaGeorge Konstantakopoulos
Schizophr Res 98:325-6. 2008
- Pergolide as adjuvant therapy to amisulpride in the treatment of negative and depressive symptoms in schizophreniaD Roesch-Ely
Pharmacopsychiatry 39:115-6. 2006..We report on a case of a patient with paranoid schizophrenia, who still presented negative and depressive symptoms during treatment with amisulpride for more than 6 ..
- Neuropsychological correlates of reality distortion in schizophrenic patientsPaola Rocca
Department of Neuroscience, Psychiatric Section, University of Turin, Via Cherasco 11, 10126 Turin, Italy
Psychiatry Res 145:49-60. 2006....
- Aripiprazole use in individuals with intellectual disability and psychotic or behavioural disorders: a case seriesManan Shastri
Staff Grade Psychiatrist, Ealing Community Team for People with Intellectual Disabilities, Hanwell, London, UK
J Psychopharmacol 20:863-7. 2006..It can also be a useful treatment option in the management of challenging behaviour, especially when it is used as a part of a biopsychosocial approach...
- Benefits of combining aripiprazole to clozapine: three case reportsFabio Lopes Rocha
Rua dos Otoni, 106, Santa Efigenia, 30150 270, Belo Horizonte, MG, Brazil
Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry 30:1167-9. 2006..A substantial number of patients treated with clozapine shows insufficient response. The author presents the results of adding aripiprazole in patients resistant to clozapine...
- Analysis of delusional statements from 15 Japanese cases of 'Folie à Deux'Mitsue Shimizu
Medical Center for Student Health Department of Biosignal Pathophysiology, Graduate School of Medicine, Kobe University, Kobe, Japan
Psychopathology 39:92-8. 2006..In the present study, we analyzed the changes in patients' delusional statements across the clinical course from the perspective of discourse analysis...
- [Learned equivalence in schizophrenia: novel method for the measurement of memory functions of the hippocampus and basal ganglia]Orsolya Nagy
Bács Kiskun Megyei Onkormányzat Kórháza, Pszichiátriai Osztály, Kecskemet
Psychiatr Hung 20:363-9. 2005..High-dose first generation antipsychotics may disrupt BG-dependent learning by blocking dopaminergic neurotransmission in the nigro-striatal system...
- Combination of clozapine and aripiprazole: a promising approach in treatment-resistant schizophreniaMarc Ziegenbein
Aust N Z J Psychiatry 39:840-1. 2005
- Schizophrenia and processing of facial emotions: sex mattersMarion R M Scholten
Department of Psychiatry, Rudolf Magnus Institute of Neuroscience, University Medical Centre, Utrecht, Netherlands
Schizophr Res 78:61-7. 2005..In conclusion, emotion perception was disproportionally affected in men with schizophrenia relative to women. This may explain, in part, why women with schizophrenia are less impaired in social life than men suffering from this illness...
- Increased clozapine plasma concentrations and side effects induced by smoking cessation in 2 CYP1A2 genotyped patientsGuido Bondolfi
Hopitaux Universitaires de Geneve, Departement de Psychiatrie, Service de Psychiatrie Adulte, Boulevard St Georges 16 18, 1205 Geneve, Switzerland
Ther Drug Monit 27:539-43. 2005....
- A prospective study of serum ghrelin levels in patients treated with clozapineF M Theisen
Clinical Research Group, Department of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, Philipps University, Marburg, Germany
J Neural Transm 112:1411-6. 2005..Linear mixed model analysis could not detect effects of age, sex, BMI, SLL and serum clozapine levels on SGL. Our results do not support a causal involvement of ghrelin in clozapine-related weight gain...
- Clozapine-induced type-2 diabetes mellitus: possible mechanisms and implications for clinical practiceElizabeth Tovey
West London Mental Health NHS Trust, John Conolly Wing, Middlesex, UK
J Psychopharmacol 19:207-10. 2005..One case resolved entirely upon withdrawal of the drug, whereas the other did not. We discuss the molecular basis of the diabetogenic action of clozapine and recommendations for monitoring...
- Possible increased efficacy of low-dose clozapine when combined with aripiprazoleSabina Lim
J Clin Psychiatry 65:1284-5. 2004
- [Schizophrenia and obsessive-compulsive disorder--some considerations based on a case]Szilvia Sümeg
Pécsi Tudományegyetem Altalános Orvosi Kar, Pszichiatriai es Pszichoterapias Klinika
Psychiatr Hung 20:35-9. 2005..They point at the importance of early detection and complex treatment approaches...
- Dopamine D2 receptor binding in drug-naïve patients with schizophrenia examined with raclopride-C11 and positron emission tomographyMirjam Talvik
Karolinska Institute, Department of Clinical Neuroscience, Psychiatry Section, Karolinska Hospital R4, SE 171 76 Stockholm, Sweden
Psychiatry Res 148:165-73. 2006....
- Possible neuroleptic malignant syndrome associated with paliperidoneHarpreet S Duggal
J Neuropsychiatry Clin Neurosci 19:477-8. 2007
- A large-scale validation study of the Medication Adherence Rating Scale (MARS)Laura Fialko
Department of Psychology, Institute of Psychiatry, King s College London, University of London, UK
Schizophr Res 100:53-9. 2008..E., Green,L.W. and Levine,D.M., 1986. Concurrent and predictive validity of a self-reported measure of medication adherence. Medical Care. 24, 67-74] may be a preferable measure of medication adherence behaviour to the total scale score...
- Aripiprazole: effectiveness and safety under naturalistic conditionsRosaria Di Lorenzo
Department of Mental Health, AUSL Modena, Presidio Psichiatrico di Diagnosi e Cura 1, Policl via del Pozzo 71, 141100, Modena, Italy
Exp Clin Psychopharmacol 15:569-75. 2007....
- Guns, adolescents, and mental illnessNora K McNamara
Department of Psychiatry, University Hospitals Case Medical Center Case Western Reserve University, 11100 Euclid Ave, Cleveland, OH 44106 5080, USA
Am J Psychiatry 165:190-4. 2008
- An investigation of the relationship between activation of a social cognitive neural network and social functioningAmy E Pinkham
Brain Behavior Laboratory, Department of Psychiatry, School of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, 10th Floor, Gates Building, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Schizophr Bull 34:688-97. 2008..These findings indicate that impaired modulation of neural activity while processing social stimuli may underlie deficits in social cognition and social dysfunction in schizophrenia...
- Paranoid delusions in schizophrenia spectrum disorders and depression: the transdiagnostic role of expectations of negative events and negative self-esteemRichard P Bentall
School of Psychology, University of Bangor, Bangor, UK
J Nerv Ment Dis 196:375-83. 2008....
- [Psychosis and chronic delirium]Anne Laure Pontonnier
université Clermont 1, UFR Medecine, EA 3845, 63001 Clermont Ferrand, et CHU Clermont Ferrand, psychiatrie et psychologie médicale, 63003 Clermont Ferrand
Rev Prat 58:425-33. 2008
- Maintaining clozapine treatment during chemotherapy for non-Hodgkin's lymphomaTiziana Frieri
Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry 32:1611-2. 2008
- Rapid onset psychosis after reduction of the risperidone doseJ D Molina
Pharmacopsychiatry 41:160-3. 2008
- Delusions and visual hallucinations in dementia patients: focus on personal history of the patientsMing Chyi Pai
Department of Neurology, Division of Behavioral Neurology, National Cheng Kung University Hospital, Tainan, Taiwan
Tohoku J Exp Med 216:1-5. 2008..If clinicians spend more time to understanding the history of their patients, at least some of the need to use medical treatment can be reduced...
- Neural bases for impaired social cognition in schizophrenia and autism spectrum disordersAmy E Pinkham
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Department of Psychology, CB 3270, Davie Hall, Chapel Hill, NC 27599, United States
Schizophr Res 99:164-75. 2008..These findings lend support to models hypothesizing well-defined neural substrates of social cognition and suggest a specific neural mechanism that may underlie social cognitive impairments in both autism and paranoid schizophrenia.
- Amoxapine as an antipsychotic: comparative study versus haloperidolImran B Chaudhry
University of Manchester, Manchester, UK
J Clin Psychopharmacol 27:575-81. 2007..However, it did not prove to have fewer extrapyramidal side effects than haloperidol, possibly because the baseline scores were very low...
- Metabolic syndrome in drug-naïve first-episode psychosis treated with atypical antipsychoticsSaddichha Sahoo
Aust N Z J Psychiatry 41:629. 2007
- Wilson's disease associated with delusional disorderHubert Michał Wichowicz
Department of Psychiatry, Department of Neurosurgery, Medical University of Gdansk, Gdansk, Poland
Psychiatry Clin Neurosci 60:758-60. 2006..It also supports the hypothesis that psychopathologic features in WD have an organic foundation...
- Dyskinesia during treatment with duloxetineM Deuschle
Pharmacopsychiatry 39:237-8. 2006
- Influence of clozapine on platelet serotonin, monoamine oxidase and plasma serotonin levelsAygun Ertugrul
Department of Psychiatry, Hacettepe University, Faculty of Medicine, Ankara 06100, Turkey
Psychiatry Res 149:49-57. 2007..The prediction of response to clozapine through peripheral biochemical markers may have important clinical implications if repeated in larger samples...
- [Association of functional genes polymorphisms of key enzymes in the metabolism of biogenic amines with paranoid schizophrenia susceptibility and the influence of these polymorphisms on PANSS results in antipsychotic treatment]Piotr Tybura
Klinika Psychiatrii Pomorskiej AM w Szczecinie
Psychiatr Pol 40:913-23. 2006..We searched for the associations between genotypes and PANSS results among patients in a three month antipsychotic therapy...
- Clozapine-resistant mutism in noncatatonic schizophreniaK K Basanth
J Postgrad Med 53:75-6. 2007
- Possible case of allopurinol causing relapse of psychosisRichard Gomberg
Schizophr Res 93:409. 2007
- Management of clozapine-induced obsessive-compulsive symptoms in a man with schizophreniaMathias Zink
Aust N Z J Psychiatry 41:293-4. 2007
- Prolactin serum levels in paranoid versus nonparanoid male schizophrenia patients treated with risperidoneMichael Segal
Flügelman s Mazra Mental Health Medical Center, Acre, Israel
Int Clin Psychopharmacol 22:192-6. 2007..These results suggest that the blockade of higher dopamine activity in the paranoid schizophrenia corresponds to the prolactin increase, more than in the schizoaffective and disorganized subtypes...
- Risk of discontinuation of atypical antipsychotic agents in the treatment of schizophreniaC Daniel Mullins
University of Maryland School of Pharmacy, 220 Arch Street, Baltimore, MD 21201, United States
Schizophr Res 98:8-15. 2008..To compare discontinuation rates of atypical antipsychotic agents in patients with schizophrenia...
- "... But I can still sue you, can't I"?Joseph H Friedman
Med Health R I 90:170. 2007
- [Changes in the relationship between cognitive functioning and psychopathological symptoms in patients with paranoid schizophrenia in the periods of psychosis and development of remission]M A Morozova
Zh Nevrol Psikhiatr Im S S Korsakova 108:4-12. 2008..the relationship between cognitive functioning and psychopathological symptoms in patients with paranoid schizophrenia both in acute state and in the period of development of remission...
- Temporal lobe abnormalities in first-episode psychosisAlex Sumich
Clinical Neuroscience Research Centre, Stonehouse Hospital, Cotton Lane, Dartford, Kent DA2 6AU, UK
Am J Psychiatry 159:1232-5. 2002..Confounds include disease chronicity, gender, and handedness. The present study investigated temporal substructures in right-handed male patients experiencing their first episode of psychotic illness...
- Atypical neuroleptic malignant syndrome associated with olanzapineRoy R Reeves
G V Sonny Montgomery Veterans Administration Medical Center, Jackson, Mississippi 39216, USA
Pharmacotherapy 22:641-4. 2002..More flexible diagnostic criteria than currently mandated by the the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fourth Revision, may be warranted...
- [Erotomania and Frégoli syndrome. A case report]B R Brüggemann
Abteilung Sozialpsychiatrie und Psychotherapie, Medizinische Hochschule Hannover, Carl Neuberg Strasse 1, 30625 Hannover
Nervenarzt 73:475-7. 2002..Organic and psychodynamic factors were found in the etiopathogenesis of this disorder. A combination of psychotherapy and neuroleptic therapy was partly successful...
- Sensory information processing in neuroleptic-naive first-episode schizophrenic patients: a functional magnetic resonance imaging studyDieter F Braus
Central Institute of Mental Health ZI, NMR Research, Mannheim, Germany
Arch Gen Psychiatry 59:696-701. 2002..Our aim was to determine which stages of the input processing network are disturbed in first-episode schizophrenic patients...
- Delusions associated with quetiapine-related weight redistributionDonna A Wirshing
J Clin Psychiatry 63:247-8. 2002
- Cerebral metabolism and risperidone treatment in schizophreniaV Molina
Department of Psychiatry, Hospital Doce de Octubre, Madrid, Spain
Schizophr Res 60:1-7. 2003..The pattern of metabolic changes induced by risperidone appears to be different from that produced by typical antipsychotics...
- Autistic disorder and schizophrenia: diagnostic overlapsM M Konstantareas
University of Guelph and Clarke Institute of Psychiatry, Ontario, Canada
J Autism Dev Disord 31:19-28. 2001..On the SCID, none of the men with paranoid schizophrenia met criteria for autism while 7 of those with autism met criteria for schizophrenia, disorganized type, ..
- What is a recommended treatment for aggression in a patient with schizophrenia?Gabriella Gobbi
Neurobiological Psychiatry Unit, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec
J Psychiatry Neurosci 28:320. 2003
- Attributional style in schizophrenia: an investigation in outpatients with and without persecutory delusionsJames A Martin
Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, USA
Schizophr Bull 28:131-41. 2002..Finally, there were significant discrepancies between the attributional ratings of the persecutory-deluded subjects and those of independent judges. Implications for future research are discussed...
- [The treatment of schizophrenia--improper choices, adverse events. Preliminary report]Halina Marmurowska-Michałowska
Katedra i Klinika Psychiatrii AM w Lublinie
Psychiatr Pol 36:217-23. 2002Files of 68 patients with paranoid schizophrenia treated first time in Department of Psychiatry Medical University of Lublin and in Psychoneurological Hospital of Lublin were analyzed...
- Agreement between self-rated and clinically assessed symptoms in subjects with psychosisFlorence Liraud
Department of Psychiatry, EA 3676 MP25, IFR 99 Public Health, University Victor Segalen, Bordeaux, France
J Nerv Ment Dis 192:352-6. 2004..These results suggest that self-report questionnaires can be used in educational programs to favor the patient's therapeutic adherence...
- Tayside-Fife clinical trial of cognitive-behavioural therapy for medication-resistant psychotic symptoms. Results to 3-month follow-upRobert C Durham
Department of Psychiatry, University of Dundee, Scotland, UK
Br J Psychiatry 182:303-11. 2003..Evidence for the efficacy of cognitive-behavioural therapy for schizophrenia is promising but evidence for clinical effectiveness is limited...
- Effects of clozapine on sleep measures and sleep-associated changes in growth hormone and cortisol in patients with schizophreniaJ H Lee
Department of Neuropsychiatry, Kangwon National University Hospital, 17-1, Hyoja-3-dong, Chunchon, Kangwon-Do, South Korea
Psychiatry Res 103:157-66. 2001..These effects were maintained through at least 7 weeks of therapy. However, clozapine did not affect the relationship of plasma GH and cortisol levels with sleep stages in schizophrenic patients...
- Cardiac risk at the onset of treatment in patients treated with benzodiazepines and clozapineStephane Borentain
Assistant service hospitalo universitaire de psychiatrie hôpital Mignot, 177, route de Versailles 78150 Le Chesnay, Versailles, France
Eur Psychiatry 17:419-20. 2002
- [Maintenance electroconvulsive therapy and treatment of refractory schizophrenia]M Levy-Rueff
INSERM, U796, Physiopathologie des Maladies Psychiatriques, Centre Hospitalier Sainte Anne, faculté Paris Descartes, Universite Paris Descartes, 7, rue Cabanis, 75014 Paris, France
Encephale 34:526-33. 2008..It is ineffective on bewilderment, somatic complaints and negative symptoms...
- [Neutropenia in a patient treated with clozapine in combination with other psychotropic drugs]A Senechal
Universite de Montreal, Canada
Encephale 28:567-9. 2002..In our report we present the case of Mr A., a 40-year-old Caucasian patient with a 20-year history of paranoid schizophrenia. After numerous trials with conventional antipsychotics, partial remission of psychotic symptoms was ..
- [The neuroleptic malignant syndrome]S Dammers
Psychiatrische Klinik, Ruhr Universitat Bochum
Dtsch Med Wochenschr 120:1739-42. 1995..months been given various neuroleptics (haloperidol, benperidol, levomepromazine) for exacerbations of paranoid schizophrenia. For a few days before hospitalization he had become quiet and withdrawn, but on the day of admission 100 ..
- Dosage finding and outcome in the treatment of schizophrenic inpatients with amisulpride. Results of a drug utilization observation studyMichael Linden
Research Group Psychosomatic Rehabilitation, Charite, University Hospital Benjamin Franklin, Germany
Hum Psychopharmacol 19:111-9. 2004....
- Specific body image pathology in acute schizophreniaS Priebe
Unit for Social and Community Psychiatry, St Bartholomew s and the Royal London School of Medicine and Dentistry, Queen Mary and Westfield College, East Ham Memorial Hospital, University of London, E7 8QR, London, UK
Psychiatry Res 101:289-301. 2001..size estimation--body schema) facets of body image and psychopathology were assessed in in-patients with paranoid schizophrenia (N = 60), schizoaffective disorder (N = 19), depressive disorder (N = 40) and anxiety disorder (N = 28) at ..
- [Utility of quetiapine in tardive dyskinesia]B V Navarro Pacheco
Servicio de Psiquiatria, Hospital Universitario de Salamanca, Spain
Actas Esp Psiquiatr 31:347-52. 2003..Due to its receptor profile, quetiapine is the atypical antipsychotic that is most similar to clozapine, which leads us to consider it for the treatment of dyskinesias...
- A reappraisal of the possible seizures of Vincent van GoghJohn R Hughes
Department of Neurology, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Epilepsy Behav 6:504-10. 2005..personality disorder, anxiety-depressive disorder with episodes of depression and hypomania, and also paranoid schizophrenia. Van Gogh did not have spontaneous seizures and, therefore, did not have epilepsy...
- Clozapine-induced leukopenia successfully treated with lithiumEric C Kutscher
College of Pharmacy, South Dakota State University, Sioux Falls, SD 57110, USA
Am J Health Syst Pharm 64:2027-31. 2007..A case of clozapine-induced leukopenia successfully treated with lithium is reported...
- Imipramine-associated hyperpigmentationCharles E Dean
Tardive Dyskinesia Clinic, Minneapolis Veterans Affairs Medical Center and School of Medicine, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN 55417 2309, USA
Ann Pharmacother 37:825-8. 2003..To inform clinicians of the potential for severe and persistent facial hyperpigmentation with the long-term use of imipramine...
- Chorea-acanthocytosis in monozygotic twins: clinical findings and neuropathological changes as detected by diffusion tensor imaging, FDG-PET and (123)I-beta-CIT-SPECTKirsten R Müller-Vahl
Department of Clinical Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, Medical School Hannover, Carl Neuberg Str 1, D 30625, Hannover, Germany
J Neurol 254:1081-8. 2007..there were also some clear differences: twin 1 presented initially with an acute episode of a paranoid schizophrenia, while twin 2 suffered from generalized epileptic seizures...
- Sudden cardiac death with clozapine and sertraline combinationJ D Hoehns
College of Pharmacy, The University of Iowa, Iowa City, USA
Ann Pharmacother 35:862-6. 2001..To report a case of sudden cardiac death in a patient receiving combination therapy with clozapine and sertraline...
- Characteristics of trees drawn by patients with paranoid schizophreniaHiroyuki Inadomi
Department of Occupational Therapy, School of Health Sciences, Nagasaki University, Sakamoto, Nagasaki, Japan
Psychiatry Clin Neurosci 57:347-51. 2003..Subjects comprised the following three groups: 20 patients diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia according to International Classification of Diseases (10th revision; ICD-10) criteria; 26 patients with ..
- Measuring the tridosha symptoms of unmāda (psychosis): a preliminary studySureshrao P Suchitra
Department of Life Sciences, SVYASA University, Bangalore, India
J Altern Complement Med 16:457-62. 2010..This is a preliminary report on the development of a scale to measure the symptoms of unmāda (psychosis) attributable to tridosa (metabolic principles) by using the concepts of Ayurvedic medicine...
- Open-label study of the effect of combination quetiapine/lithium therapy on lithium pharmacokinetics and tolerabilitySteven G Potkin
Department of Psychiatry and Human Behavior, University of California, Irvine Medical Center, Orange, California, USA
Clin Ther 24:1809-23. 2002..The aim of this study was to assess the effect of oral quetiapine on the steady-state pharmacokinetics of lithium...
- [Manganese superoxide dismutase gene (MnSOD) polimorphism in schizophrenics with tardive dyskinesia from central Poland]Piotr Gałecki
Klinika Psychiatrii Dorosłych, Uniwersytet Medyczny w Lodzi
Psychiatr Pol 40:937-48. 2006..Manganese superoxide dismutase (MnSOD) plays a key role in protection against ROS...
- AUTORECEPTOR REGULATION OF DOPAMINE RELEASEGreg Gerhardt; Fiscal Year: 1991..The chronic intake of amphetamine, a dopamine releasing drug, can produce clinical symptoms similar to paranoid schizophrenia, whereas the drugs that are used therapeutically to alleviate the symptoms of schizophrenia are ..
- NEUROCHEMICAL PHARMACOLOGY OF CHRONIC COCAINEKenneth Johnson; Fiscal Year: 1991..for the development of endogenous psychiatric diseases such as anxiety/panic disorder, depression and paranoid schizophrenia. It may also be relevant to cocaine "addiction" and "craving" which undoubtedly play a role in its pattern ..
- BLOOD FLOW IMAGING DURING COGNITION IN SCHIZOPHRENIAMARTIN WEILER; Fiscal Year: 1993..It is expected that this experiment will delineate differences between the disorganized and paranoid schizophrenia subtypes...
- Sensory Gating in Schizophrenia: Multiple MeasuresJulie Patterson; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- Identify genes causing Kabuki SyndromeJEFFREY MILUNSKY; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Interventions for Adherence to Oral Antipsychotic Medications in SchizophreniaDAWN IRENE VELLIGAN; Fiscal Year: 2010..The public health implications include effective disease management, maximizing long-term outcomes, and containing health care costs for schizophrenia. ..
- MEDICATION ADHERENCE AND OUTCOMES IN SCHIZOPHRENIADawn Velligan; Fiscal Year: 2004..Moreover, we hypothesize that compliance and functioning will return to baseline levels six months after discontinuation of treatment. ..
- Compensating for Cognitive Deficits in SchizophreniaDawn Velligan; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Identify Waardenburg syndrome type 2 loci in manJEFFREY MILUNSKY; Fiscal Year: 2005..We will perform a high-density genome scan coupled with linkage disequilibrium analyses on 3 large multigenerational families and multiple smaller families with WS2 to identify candidate gene(s) with mutations causing WS2. ..
- PATHOLOGY IN POSTMORTEM SCHIZOPHRENIC BASAL GANGLIAROSALINDA CUSIDO ROBERTS; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- FMRI, PET and the Default Mode Network Classify MCI and ADMichal Assaf; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- A California Population-Based Twin Study of AutismJoachim Hallmayer; Fiscal Year: 2008..3) is there a continuum between the quantitative neurocognitive traits and clinical disorder? (4) what proportion of the variance in the neurocognitive traits is accounted for by genetic and non-genetic factors? ..
- COLLABORATIVE LONGITUDINAL STUDY OF PERSONALITY DISORDERThomas McGlashan; Fiscal Year: 2008....
- The Neuronal Correlates of Theory of Mind in SchizophreniaMichal Assaf; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- INFRASTRUCTURE TO FACILITATE DISCOVERY OF AUTISM GENESJoachim Hallmayer; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Transdisciplinary Imaging Genetics Center (1 of 2)(RMI)Steven Potkin; Fiscal Year: 2006..The new knowledge generated by the Center holds considerable promise for improving diagnosis and treatment of mental illness. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- EARLY DETECTION AND INTERVENTION IN PSYCHOSISThomas McGlashan; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- NEUROCOGNITIVE BOUNDARIES OF THE SCHIZOPHRENIA SPECTRUMRuth Condray; Fiscal Year: 2002..2) To compare language processing between schizophrenic patients, family members of schizophrenic probands, and normal controls. ..