Genomes and Genes
Summary: Persistent and disabling ANXIETY.
Publications367 found, 100 shown here
- Brave men and timid women? A review of the gender differences in fear and anxietyCarmen P McLean
National Center for PTSD, Boston VA Healthcare System, Boston, MA 02130, USA
Clin Psychol Rev 29:496-505. 2009Substantial evidence indicates that women report greater fear and are more likely to develop anxiety disorders than men...
- Effectiveness of an intervention led by lay health counsellors for depressive and anxiety disorders in primary care in Goa, India (MANAS): a cluster randomised controlled trialVikram Patel
Faculty of Epidemiology and Population Health, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London, UK
Lancet 376:2086-95. 2010Depression and anxiety disorders are common mental disorders worldwide...
- The validity of the Hospital Anxiety and Depression Scale. An updated literature reviewIngvar Bjelland
Department of Public Health and Primary Health Care, Section for Preventive Medicine, Haukeland Hospital, Armauer Hansen Building, University of Bergen, N 5021, Bergen, Norway
J Psychosom Res 52:69-77. 2002..To review the literature of the validity of the Hospital Anxiety and Depression Scale (HADS)...
- A brief measure for assessing generalized anxiety disorder: the GAD-7Robert L Spitzer
Biometrics Research Department, New York State Psychiatric Institute, New York, NY 10032, USA
Arch Intern Med 166:1092-7. 2006..The objective of this study was to develop a brief self-report scale to identify probable cases of GAD and evaluate its reliability and validity...
- An inventory for measuring clinical anxiety: psychometric propertiesA T Beck
J Consult Clin Psychol 56:893-7. 1988
- Internet-based cognitive behaviour therapy for symptoms of depression and anxiety: a meta-analysisViola Spek
Department of Psychology and Health, Tilburg University, The Netherlands
Psychol Med 37:319-28. 2007..We studied to what extent internet-based cognitive behaviour therapy (CBT) programs for symptoms of depression and anxiety are effective...
- Functional neuroimaging of anxiety: a meta-analysis of emotional processing in PTSD, social anxiety disorder, and specific phobiaAmit Etkin
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Stanford University School of Medicine, 401 Quarry Rd, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
Am J Psychiatry 164:1476-88. 2007The study of human anxiety disorders has benefited greatly from functional neuroimaging approaches. Individual studies, however, vary greatly in their findings...
- Association of anxiety-related traits with a polymorphism in the serotonin transporter gene regulatory regionK P Lesch
Department of Psychiatry, University of Wurzburg, Fuchsleinstrasse 15, 97080 Wurzburg, Germany
Science 274:1527-31. 1996....
- Is guided self-help as effective as face-to-face psychotherapy for depression and anxiety disorders? A systematic review and meta-analysis of comparative outcome studiesP Cuijpers
Department of Clinical Psychology, VU University Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Psychol Med 40:1943-57. 2010Although guided self-help for depression and anxiety disorders has been examined in many studies, it is not clear whether it is equally effective as face-to-face treatments...
- Anxiety disorders in primary care: prevalence, impairment, comorbidity, and detectionKurt Kroenke
Regenstrief Institute for Health Care and Indiana University, Indianapolis, Indiana 46202, USA
Ann Intern Med 146:317-25. 2007..Anxiety, although as common as depression, has received less attention and is often undetected and undertreated...
- The neurocircuitry of fear, stress, and anxiety disordersLisa M Shin
Department of Psychology, Tufts University, Medford, MA 02155, USA
Neuropsychopharmacology 35:169-91. 2010b>Anxiety disorders are a significant problem in the community, and recent neuroimaging research has focused on determining the brain circuits that underlie them...
- Mechanisms of attentional biases towards threat in anxiety disorders: An integrative reviewJosh M Cisler
Psychology Department, University of Arkansas, USA
Clin Psychol Rev 30:203-16. 2010A wealth of research demonstrates attentional biases toward threat in the anxiety disorders. Several models have been advanced to explain these biases in anxiety, yet the mechanisms comprising and mediating the biases remain unclear...
- Using the Internet to provide cognitive behaviour therapyGerhard Andersson
Department of Behavioural Sciences and Learning, Swedish Institute for Disability Research, Linkoping University, Linkoping, Sweden
Behav Res Ther 47:175-80. 2009..novel form of treatment has grown rapidly over recent years with several controlled trials in the field of anxiety disorders, mood disorders and behavioural medicine...
- The efficacy of internet interventions for depression and anxiety disorders: a review of randomised controlled trialsKathleen M Griffiths
Centre for Mental Health Research, Australian National University, Canberra, ACT, Australia
Med J Aust 192:S4-11. 2010To review the outcomes, nature and quality of published randomised controlled trials of preventive and treatment internet interventions for depression and anxiety disorders, and to document the availability of effective interventions.
- Screening performance of K6/K10 and other screening instruments for mood and anxiety disorders in JapanKeiko Sakurai
Department of Mental Health, School of Public Health, Graduate School of Medicine, University of Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan
Psychiatry Clin Neurosci 65:434-41. 2011..This study aimed to establish the screening performance and optimal cut-off points for the Japanese version of Kessler (K)6, K10 and the Depression and Suicide Screen (DSS)...
- Neurogenesis and generalization: a new approach to stratify and treat anxiety disordersMazen A Kheirbek
Department of Neuroscience, Columbia University, New York, New York, USA
Nat Neurosci 15:1613-20. 2012..Here we propose that impaired pattern separation underlies the overgeneralization often seen in anxiety disorders, specifically post-traumatic stress disorder and panic disorder, and therefore represents an endophenotype ..
- The Liebowitz Social Anxiety Scale: a comparison of the psychometric properties of self-report and clinician-administered formatsD M Fresco
Adult Anxiety Clinic of Temple University, Philadelphia, PA 19122-6085, USA
Psychol Med 31:1025-35. 2001..CONCLUSION: Results of this study suggest that the self-report version of the LSAS compares well to the clinician-administered version and may be validly employed in the assessment of social anxiety disorder...
- Implementing NICE guidelines for the psychological treatment of depression and anxiety disorders: the IAPT experienceDavid M Clark
University of Oxford, UK
Int Rev Psychiatry 23:318-27. 2011..aims to greatly increase the availability of NICE recommended psychological treatment for depression and anxiety disorders within the National Health Service in England...
- Prior juvenile diagnoses in adults with mental disorder: developmental follow-back of a prospective-longitudinal cohortJulia Kim-Cohen
Institute of Psychiatry, King s College, London, England
Arch Gen Psychiatry 60:709-17. 2003..If most adults with mental disorders are found to have a juvenile psychiatric history, this would shift etiologic research and prevention policy to focus more on childhood mental disorders...
- Prevalence, co-morbidity and correlates of mental disorders in the general population: results from the German Health Interview and Examination Survey (GHS)F Jacobi
Institute of Clinical Psychology and Psychotherapy, Unit Epidemiology and Service Research, Technical University of Dresden, Germany
Psychol Med 34:597-611. 2004..This paper reports results from its Mental Health Supplement (GHS-MHS) on 4-week 12-month, and selected lifetime prevalence of a broad range of DSM-IV mental disorders, their co-morbidity and correlates in the community...
- Physical activity, exercise, depression and anxiety disordersAndreas Strohle
Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, Campus Charite Mitte, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Chariteplatz 1, 10117 Berlin, Germany
J Neural Transm 116:777-84. 2009..to (1) the association of physical activity, exercise and the prevalence and incidence of depression and anxiety disorders and (2) the potential therapeutic activity of exercise training in patients with depression or anxiety ..
- Cross-national prevalence and correlates of adult attention-deficit hyperactivity disorderJ Fayyad
Department of Psychiatry and Clinical Psychology, St George Hospital University Medical Centre, PO Box 166378, Beirut Achrafieh 1100 2807, Lebanon
Br J Psychiatry 190:402-9. 2007..Little is known about the epidemiology of adult attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)...
- Cigarette smoking, nicotine dependence and anxiety disorders: a systematic review of population-based, epidemiological studiesSteven Moylan
Deakin University School of Medicine, Barwon Health, Geelong, Victoria, Australia
BMC Med 10:123. 2012..studies have demonstrated that rates of smoking and nicotine dependence are increased in individuals with anxiety disorders. However, significant variability exists in the epidemiological literature exploring this relationship, ..
- Attention bias modification treatment: a meta-analysis toward the establishment of novel treatment for anxietyYuko Hakamata
Division of Adult Mental Health, National Institute of Mental Health, Tokyo, Japan
Biol Psychiatry 68:982-90. 2010Attention Bias Modification Treatment (ABMT) is a newly emerging, promising treatment for anxiety disorders. Although recent randomized control trials (RCTs) suggest that ABMT reduces anxiety, therapeutic effects have not been summarized ..
- Validation and standardization of the Generalized Anxiety Disorder Screener (GAD-7) in the general populationBernd Löwe
Department of Psychosomatic Medicine and Psychotherapy, University Medical Center Hamburg Eppendorf and Hamburg Eilbek Schön Clinics, Hamburg, Germany
Med Care 46:266-74. 2008..However, the GAD-7 was not yet validated in the general population and thus far, normative data are not available...
- Computer-aided psychotherapy for anxiety disorders: a meta-analytic reviewPim Cuijpers
Department of Clinical Psychology, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, Van der Boechorststraat 1, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Cogn Behav Ther 38:66-82. 2009..authors performed a meta-analysis of 23 randomised controlled studies (RCTs) that compared CP with non-CP in anxiety disorders: phobias, n = 10; panic disorder/agoraphobia, n = 9; PTSD, n = 3; obsessive-compulsive disorder, n = 1...
- Selective reduction in amygdala volume in pediatric anxiety disorders: a voxel-based morphometry investigationMichael P Milham
Beckman Institute, University of Illinois, Urbana, Illinois, USA
Biol Psychiatry 57:961-6. 2005Significant controversy has emerged concerning pediatric anxiety disorders. Some researchers question the justification for diagnosing and treating pediatric anxiety disorders, owing to concerns about the inappropriate medicalization of ..
- Impact of pain on the course of depressive and anxiety disordersMarloes M J G Gerrits
Department of Psychiatry, EMGO Institute for Health and Care Research, VU University Medical Center and Academic Outpatient Clinic for Affective Disorders, GGZ inGeest, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Pain 153:429-36. 2012..The objectives of this study are to determine the impact of pain on the course of depressive and/or anxiety disorders, and investigate to what extent the association between pain and course of these mental disorders is ..
- The role of FKBP5, a co-chaperone of the glucocorticoid receptor in the pathogenesis and therapy of affective and anxiety disordersElisabeth B Binder
Max Planck Institute of Psychiatry, Munich, Germany
Psychoneuroendocrinology 34:S186-95. 2009..In addition, they are also associated with faster response to antidepressant treatment. FKBP5 might thus be an interesting therapeutic target for the prevention and treatment of stress-related psychiatric disorders...
- Association between obesity and psychiatric disorders in the US adult populationGregory E Simon
Center for Health Studies, Group Health Cooperative, Seattle, WA 98101, USA
Arch Gen Psychiatry 63:824-30. 2006..Epidemiologic data suggest an association between obesity and depression, but findings vary across studies and suggest a stronger relationship in women than men...
- Prevalence and co-occurrence of substance use disorders and independent mood and anxiety disorders: results from the National Epidemiologic Survey on Alcohol and Related ConditionsBridget F Grant
Laboratory of Epidemiology and Biometry, Division of Intramural Clinical and Biological Research, National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892 9304, USA
Arch Gen Psychiatry 61:807-16. 2004Uncertainties exist about the prevalence and comorbidity of substance use disorders and independent mood and anxiety disorders.
- Hospital Anxiety and Depression (HAD) scale: factor structure, item analyses and internal consistency in a large populationA Mykletun
Faculty of Psychology, University of Bergen, Bergen, Norway
Br J Psychiatry 179:540-4. 2001....
- The role of childhood trauma in the neurobiology of mood and anxiety disorders: preclinical and clinical studiesC Heim
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia 30322, USA
Biol Psychiatry 49:1023-39. 2001..that children exposed to early adverse experiences are at increased risk for the development of depression, anxiety disorders, or both...
- Antidepressant use and salivary cortisol in depressive and anxiety disordersLeonie Manthey
Department of Psychiatry, Leiden University Medical Center, Leiden, The Netherlands
Eur Neuropsychopharmacol 21:691-9. 2011Antidepressants are an effective treatment for depressive and anxiety disorders. Those disorders are frequently accompanied by heightened cortisol levels...
- Lay health worker led intervention for depressive and anxiety disorders in India: impact on clinical and disability outcomes over 12 monthsVikram Patel
Department of Nutrition and Public Health Intervention Research, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, UK and Sangath, Goa, India
Br J Psychiatry 199:459-66. 2011Depressive and anxiety disorders (common mental disorders) are the most common psychiatric condition encountered in primary healthcare.
- Anxiety online: a virtual clinic: preliminary outcomes following completion of five fully automated treatment programs for anxiety disorders and symptomsBritt Klein
National eTherapy Centre, Swinburne University, Melbourne, Australia
J Med Internet Res 13:e89. 2011..This development assists the public in sidestepping some of the obstacles that are often encountered when trying to access traditional face-to-face mental health care services...
- Anxiety disorders before birth and self-perceived distress during pregnancy: associations with maternal depression and obstetric, neonatal and early childhood outcomesJulia Martini
Institute of Clinical Psychology and Psychotherapy, Technische Universitaet, Dresden, Germany
Early Hum Dev 86:305-10. 2010..However, studies considering the effect of DSM-IV anxiety disorders beyond maternal self-perceived distress during pregnancy and its timing are lacking.
- Altered effective connectivity network of the amygdala in social anxiety disorder: a resting-state FMRI studyWei Liao
Key Laboratory for NeuroInformation of Ministry of Education, School of Life Science and Technology, University of Electronic Science and Technology of China, Chengdu, People s Republic of China
PLoS ONE 5:e15238. 2010..The model which is proposed based on our results lends neurobiological support towards cognitive models considering disinhibition and an attentional bias towards negative stimuli as a core feature of the disorder...
- A parent-report measure of children's anxiety: psychometric properties and comparison with child-report in a clinic and normal sampleMaaike H Nauta
Department of Clinical Psychology, University of Amsterdam, Roetersstraat 15, 1018 WB Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Behav Res Ther 42:813-39. 2004..intercorrelated factors, that corresponded with the child self-report as well as with the classification of anxiety disorders by DSM-IV (namely separation anxiety, generalized anxiety, social phobia, panic/agoraphobia, obsessive-..
- Targeting abnormal neural circuits in mood and anxiety disorders: from the laboratory to the clinicKerry J Ressler
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Emory University School of Medicine, 954 Gatewood Drive, Atlanta, Georgia 30329, USA
Nat Neurosci 10:1116-24. 2007..Although many of these approaches are experimental, the rapidly developing understanding of emotional circuit regulation is likely to provide exciting and powerful future treatments for debilitating mood and anxiety disorders.
- Do threatening stimuli draw or hold visual attention in subclinical anxiety?E Fox
Department of Psychology, University of Essex, Colchester, England
J Exp Psychol Gen 130:681-700. 2001..It is concluded that threat-related stimuli affect attentional dwell time and the disengage component of attention, leaving the question of whether threat stimuli affect the shift component of attention open to debate...
- Quality-of-life impairment in depressive and anxiety disordersMark Hyman Rapaport
Department of Psychiatry, Cedars Sinai Medical Center, Thalians Mental Health Center C 301, Los Angeles, CA 90048, USA
Am J Psychiatry 162:1171-8. 2005..scale, the Quality of Life Enjoyment and Satisfaction Questionnaire, to subjects entering multiple large-scale trials for depression and anxiety disorders allowed us to compare the impact of these disorders on quality of life.
- Depression, comorbid anxiety disorders, and heart rate variability in physically healthy, unmedicated patients: implications for cardiovascular riskAndrew H Kemp
School of Psychology, University of Sydney, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
PLoS ONE 7:e30777. 2012..cardiac mortality, and HRV is a robust predictor of cardiac mortality; determining a direct link between HRV and not only MDD, but common comorbid anxiety disorders, will point to psychiatric indicators for cardiovascular risk reduction.
- Clinical efficacy of computerised cognitive-behavioural therapy for anxiety and depression in primary care: randomised controlled trialJudith Proudfoot
Centre for General Practice Integration Studies, School of Public Health and Community Medicine, University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia
Br J Psychiatry 185:46-54. 2004..Preliminary results have demonstrated the clinical efficacy of computerised cognitive-behavioural therapy (CBT) in the treatment of anxiety and depression in primary care...
- Psychometric properties of the Screen for Child Anxiety Related Emotional Disorders (SCARED): a replication studyB Birmaher
Division of Child Psychiatry, Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 38:1230-6. 1999To replicate and extend work on the psychometric properties of the Screen for Child Anxiety Related Emotional Disorders (SCARED), a child and parent self-report instrument used to screen for children with anxiety disorders.
- Validity of the K-10 in detecting DSM-IV-defined depression and anxiety disorders among HIV-infected individualsG Spies
South African Research Chairs Initiative SARChI, PTSD Program, Department of Psychiatry, University of Stellenbosch, Cape Town, South Africa
AIDS Care 21:1163-8. 2009..There was significant agreement between the K-10 and the MINI-defined depressive and anxiety disorders. A receiver operating characteristic (ROC) curve analysis indicated that the K-10 showed agreeable ..
- The quality of care for depressive and anxiety disorders in the United StatesA S Young
UCLA Neuropsychiatric Institute, Health Services Research Center, 10920 Wilshire Blvd, Suite 300, Los Angeles, CA 90024-6505, USA
Arch Gen Psychiatry 58:55-61. 2001BACKGROUND: Depressive and anxiety disorders are prevalent and cause substantial morbidity. While effective treatments exist, little is known about the quality of care for these disorders nationally...
- Meta-analysis of the association between a serotonin transporter promoter polymorphism (5-HTTLPR) and anxiety-related personality traitsSrijan Sen
Neuroscience Program, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109, USA
Am J Med Genet B Neuropsychiatr Genet 127:85-9. 2004....
- Comorbidity of anxiety disorders with anorexia and bulimia nervosaWalter H Kaye
Department of Psychiatry, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic, 3811 O Hara St, Suite 600, Iroquois Bldg, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Am J Psychiatry 161:2215-21. 2004..and bulimia nervosa from the Price Foundation collaborative genetics study was used to determine the frequency of anxiety disorders and to understand how anxiety disorders are related to state of eating disorder illness and age at onset.
- Cost-effectiveness of a primary care model for anxiety disordersHans Helmut Konig
Health Economics Research Unit, Department of Psychiatry, University of Leipzig, Germany
Br J Psychiatry 195:308-17. 2009Individuals with anxiety disorders often do not receive an accurate diagnosis or adequate treatment in primary care.
- Prospective mental imagery in patients with major depressive disorder or anxiety disordersNexhmedin Morina
Department of Clinical Psychology, University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Anxiety Disord 25:1032-7. 2011Prospective negative cognitions are suggested to play an important role in maintaining anxiety disorders and major depressive disorder (MDD). However, little is known about positive prospective mental imagery...
- Quality of life in the anxiety disorders: a meta-analytic reviewBunmi O Olatunji
Department of Psychology, Vanderbilt University, 301 Wilson Hall, 111 21st Avenue South, Nashville, TN 37203, USA
Clin Psychol Rev 27:572-81. 2007There has been significant interest in the impact of anxiety disorders on quality of life...
- Screening for depression and anxiety disorders in primary care patientsAdomas Bunevicius
Faculty of Medicine, Kaunas University of Medicine, Kaunas, Lithuania
Depress Anxiety 24:455-60. 2007Mood and anxiety disorders are highly prevalent in primary health care...
- The Cool Little Kids randomised controlled trial: population-level early prevention for anxiety disordersJordana K Bayer
Department of Pediatrics, The University of Melbourne, Parkville, Australia
BMC Public Health 11:11. 2011....
- The impact of anxiety disorders on educational achievementMichael Van Ameringen
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioural Neurosciences, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ont, Canada L8N 3Z5
J Anxiety Disord 17:561-71. 2003b>Anxiety disorders typically have an age of onset in childhood and adolescence, resulting in significant disability in social and occupational functioning...
- Anxiety in children and adolescents with autism spectrum disordersSusan W White
Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Department of Psychology, 109 Williams Hall 0436, Blacksburg, VA 24061, United States
Clin Psychol Rev 29:216-29. 2009..The assessment of anxiety disorders in ASD should be conducted using multiple informants and modalities, as children with ASD often do not ..
- Screening for mood and anxiety disorders with the five-item, the three-item, and the two-item Mental Health InventoryPim Cuijpers
Department of Clinical Psychology, Vrije Universiteit, Van der Boechorststraat 1, 1081 BT Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Psychiatry Res 168:250-5. 2009The Mental Health Inventory (MHI)-5 is an attractive, brief screening questionnaire for depression and anxiety disorders. It has been suggested that the three questions on depression (MHI-d) may be as good as the full MHI-5 in assessing ..
- Functional network dysfunction in anxiety and anxiety disordersC M Sylvester
Department of Psychiatry, Washington University, Saint Louis, MO, USA
Trends Neurosci 35:527-35. 2012..We propose here that anxiety disorders and high trait anxiety are associated with a particular pattern of functional network dysfunction: increased ..
- Classical fear conditioning in the anxiety disorders: a meta-analysisShmuel Lissek
Mood and Anxiety Disorders Program, National Institute of Mental Health, 15K North Drive, Bldg 15k, MSC 2670, Bethesda, MD 20892 2670, USA
Behav Res Ther 43:1391-424. 2005..Although fear conditioning has long been considered a central pathogenic mechanism in anxiety disorders, studies employing lab-based conditioning paradigms provide inconsistent support for this idea...
- Functional anatomy of ventromedial prefrontal cortex: implications for mood and anxiety disordersB Myers-Schulz
Department of Psychiatry, University of Wisconsin Madison, Madison, WI, USA
Mol Psychiatry 17:132-41. 2012..number of neuroimaging studies have sought to identify the brain anomalies associated with mood and anxiety disorders. The results of such studies could have significant implications for the development of novel treatments for ..
- Examining the unique relationships between anxiety disorders and childhood physical and sexual abuse in the National Comorbidity Survey-ReplicationJesse R Cougle
Department of Psychology, Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL, USA
Psychiatry Res 177:150-5. 2010Research has accumulated over the past several years demonstrating a relationship between childhood abuse and anxiety disorders. Extant studies have generally suffered from a number of methodological limitations, including low sample ..
- Anxiety and anxiety disorders in children and adolescents: developmental issues and implications for DSM-VKatja Beesdo
Institute of Clinical Psychology and Psychotherapy, Department of Psychology, Faculty of Science, Technische Universitat Dresden, Chemnitzer Str 46, 01187 Dresden, Germany
Psychiatr Clin North Am 32:483-524. 2009This review summarizes findings on the epidemiology and etiology of anxiety disorders among children and adolescents including separation anxiety disorder, specific phobia, social phobia, agoraphobia, panic disorder, and generalized ..
- Understanding the co-occurrence of anxiety disorders and chronic pain: state-of-the-artGordon J G Asmundson
Department of Psychology, University of Regina, Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
Depress Anxiety 26:888-901. 2009The purpose of this article is to describe the current state-of-the-art regarding the co-occurrence of the anxiety disorders and chronic pain...
- Anxiety disorders in older adults: a comprehensive reviewKate B Wolitzky-Taylor
Department of Psychology, University of California, Los Angeles, California, USA
Depress Anxiety 27:190-211. 2010This review aims to address issues unique to older adults with anxiety disorders in order to inform potential changes in the DSM-V...
- Improving access to psychological therapy: Initial evaluation of two UK demonstration sitesDavid M Clark
NIHR Biomedical Research Centre for Mental Health, South London and Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust and Kings College London, UK
Behav Res Ther 47:910-20. 2009..large-scale initiative for Improving Access to Psychological Therapies (IAPT) for depression and anxiety disorders. Prior to this development, the Department of Health established two pilot projects that aimed to collect ..
- Early adversity and the prospective prediction of depressive and anxiety disorders in adolescentsNicole K Phillips
Department of Psychology, University of California, Los Angeles, California 90095, USA
J Abnorm Child Psychol 33:13-24. 2005..Adolescents with "pure" anxiety disorders were compared with adolescents with "pure" depressive disorders (major depressive disorder, ..
- Disrupted amygdalar subregion functional connectivity and evidence of a compensatory network in generalized anxiety disorderAmit Etkin
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
Arch Gen Psychiatry 66:1361-72. 2009..Little is known about the neural abnormalities underlying generalized anxiety disorder (GAD). Studies in other anxiety disorders have implicated the amygdala, but work in GAD has yielded conflicting results...
- Prevalence of depressive and anxiety disorders in an assisted reproductive technique clinicTing Hsiu Chen
Department of Psychiatry, Tri Service General Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan correction
Hum Reprod 19:2313-8. 2004Little is known about the prevalence of specific depressive and anxiety disorders in women before a new course of assisted reproductive technology treatment. Few studies have adopted the proper psychiatric diagnostic procedures.
- Insular cortex and neuropsychiatric disorders: a review of recent literatureM Nagai
Department of Internal Medicine, Shobara Red Cross Hospital, Hiroshima, Japan
Eur Psychiatry 22:387-94. 2007....
- Comorbidity patterns of anxiety and depressive disorders in a large cohort study: the Netherlands Study of Depression and Anxiety (NESDA)Femke Lamers
Department of Psychiatry EMGO Institute for Health and Care Research, VU University Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Clin Psychiatry 72:341-8. 2011Comorbidity of depressive and anxiety disorders is common and has been shown to be a consistent predictor of chronicity. Comorbidity patterns among specific depressive and anxiety disorders have not been extensively reported...
- Promoting walking as an adjunct intervention to group cognitive behavioral therapy for anxiety disorders--a pilot group randomized trialDafna Merom
Centre for Physical Activity and Health, School of Public Health, The University of Sydney, Camperdown, NSW, Australia
J Anxiety Disord 22:959-68. 2008..21, -3.41, and -5.14, respectively, p<0.05) compared to the GCBT+ED. The potential of exercise interventions as adjunct to GCBT for anxiety disorder needs to be further explored...
- Generalized anxiety disorder is associated with metabolic syndrome in the Vietnam experience studyDouglas Carroll
School of Sport, Exercise Sciences, University of Birmingham, Birmingham, England
Biol Psychiatry 66:91-3. 2009..The present study examined the cross-sectional associations of major depressive disorder (MDD) and generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) with MetS in a large study of male US veterans...
- Acupuncture for anxiety and anxiety disorders--a systematic literature reviewKaren Pilkington
School of Integrated Health, University of Westminster, London, UK
Acupunct Med 25:1-10. 2007The aim of this study was to evaluate the evidence for the efficacy of acupuncture in the treatment of anxiety and anxiety disorders by systematic review of the relevant research.
- Psychometric properties of the credibility/expectancy questionnaireG J Devilly
Department of Criminology, University of Melbourne, Parkville, Vic, Australia
J Behav Ther Exp Psychiatry 31:73-86. 2000..Instead credibility was found to be derived from the first three think questions and expectancy was derived from the fourth think question and the two feel questions...
- Startle reactivity and anxiety disorders: aversive conditioning, context, and neurobiologyChristian Grillon
National Institute of Mental Health, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
Biol Psychiatry 52:958-75. 2002..Lacking a cue for threat, the organism cannot identify periods of danger and safety and remains in a chronic state of anxiety. Factors that may affect conditioning are discussed...
- What is worse for asthma control and quality of life: depressive disorders, anxiety disorders, or both?Kim L Lavoie
Research Center, Division of Chest Medicine, J 3190, 5400 Gouin West, Montreal, QC, H4J 1C5, Canada
Chest 130:1039-47. 2006..Although previous studies have reported associations between depressive disorders (DDs) and anxiety disorders (ADs) and worse asthma control and quality of life, the relative impact of these disorders on asthma control ..
- Test-retest reliability of anxiety symptoms and diagnoses with the Anxiety Disorders Interview Schedule for DSM-IV: child and parent versionsW K Silverman
Child and Family Psychosocial Research Center, Department of Psychology, Florida International University, Miami 33199, USA
J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 40:937-44. 2001To examine the test-retest reliability of the DSM-IV anxiety symptoms and disorders in children with the Anxiety Disorders Interview Schedule for DSM-IV: Child and Parent Versions (ADIS for DSM-IV:C/P).
- Common chronic pain conditions in developed and developing countries: gender and age differences and comorbidity with depression-anxiety disordersAdley Tsang
Hong Kong Mood Disorders Center, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, HKSAR, Hong Kong, PRC
J Pain 9:883-91. 2008..in 10 developed and 7 developing countries and their association with the spectrum of both depressive and anxiety disorders. It draws on data from 18 general adult population surveys using a common survey questionnaire (N = 42,249)...
- Common emotional and behavioral disorders in preschool children: presentation, nosology, and epidemiologyHelen Link Egger
Center for Developmental Epidemiology, Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences at Duke University Medical Center, USA
J Child Psychol Psychiatry 47:313-37. 2006..disorders: attention deficit hyperactivity disorders, oppositional defiant and conduct disorders, anxiety disorders, and depressive disorders...
- How psychotherapy changes the brain--the contribution of functional neuroimagingD E J Linden
School of Psychology, University of Wales Bangor, Bangor, UK
Mol Psychiatry 11:528-38. 2006..These findings are discussed in the context of current neurobiological models of anxiety disorders. Findings in depression, where both decreases and increases in prefrontal metabolism after treatment and ..
- Genetic gating of human fear learning and extinction: possible implications for gene-environment interaction in anxiety disorderTina B Lonsdorf
Department of Clinical Neuroscience, Psychology Section, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Psychol Sci 20:198-206. 2009..These results may have interesting implications for understanding gene-environment interactions in the development and treatment of anxiety disorders.
- The serotonin-1A receptor in anxiety disordersElena Akimova
Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, Medical University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Biol Psychiatry 66:627-35. 2009..This overview of preclinical and clinical data provides strong evidence for the key role of the 5-HT1A receptor in the serotonergic dysregulation of anxiety disorders.
- Meta-analytical comparison of voxel-based morphometry studies in obsessive-compulsive disorder vs other anxiety disordersJoaquim Radua
Department of Psychological, Medicine, Institute of Psychiatry, King s College London, London SE5 8AF, England
Arch Gen Psychiatry 67:701-11. 2010..Whether obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) is adequately classified as an anxiety disorder is a matter of considerable debate...
- 5-HTTLPR polymorphism impacts human cingulate-amygdala interactions: a genetic susceptibility mechanism for depressionLukas Pezawas
Genes, Cognition and Psychosis Program, National Institute of Mental Health, National Institutes of Health, 10 Center Drive 4S235, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 1379, USA
Nat Neurosci 8:828-34. 2005....
- The association between mood and anxiety disorders with vascular diseases and risk factors in a nationally representative sampleJess G Fiedorowicz
Department of Psychiatry, Roy J and Lucille A Carver College of Medicine, University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, Iowa City, IA, USA
J Psychosom Res 70:145-54. 2011To investigate the association between mood and anxiety disorders and vascular diseases after controlling for vascular disease risk factors.
- Genetics of anxiety disorders: the complex road from DSM to DNAJordan W Smoller
Psychiatric Genetics Program in Mood and Anxiety Disorders, Department of Psychiatry, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts 02114, USA
Depress Anxiety 26:965-75. 2009b>Anxiety disorders are among the most common psychiatric disorders, affecting one in four individuals over a lifetime...
- The association between obesity and anxiety disorders in the population: a systematic review and meta-analysisG Gariepy
Department of Epidemiology, Biostatistics and Occupational Health, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Int J Obes (Lond) 34:407-19. 2010b>Anxiety disorders are the most prevalent mental disorders in developed countries. Obesity is hypothesized to be a risk factor for anxiety disorders but evidence supporting an association between these two conditions is not clear...
- The study of fear extinction: implications for anxiety disordersBronwyn M Graham
Department of Psychiatry, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, USA
Am J Psychiatry 168:1255-65. 2011..the fear extinction model can be used as an experimental tool to cut across symptom dimensions of multiple anxiety disorders to enhance our understanding of the psychopathology of these disorders and potentially facilitate the ..
- The psychometric properties of the K10 and K6 scales in screening for mood and anxiety disorders in the South African Stress and Health studyL S Andersen
Department of Psychiatry, University of Stellenbosch, South Africa
Int J Methods Psychiatr Res 20:215-23. 2011..This study sought to evaluate the performance of the Kessler scales in screening for depression and anxiety disorders in the South African population...
- Quick and easy self-rating of Generalized Anxiety Disorder: validity of the Dutch web-based GAD-7, GAD-2 and GAD-SITara Donker
Department of Clinical Psychology, VU University Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Psychiatry Res 188:58-64. 2011..More research is needed to validate the GAD-SI 'Do you have trouble relaxing' to see if its screening properties approach those of the GAD-7...
- Fear extinction in rats: implications for human brain imaging and anxiety disordersMohammed R Milad
Department of Psychiatry, Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Bldg 149 13th St, Charlestown, 02129, USA
Biol Psychol 73:61-71. 2006..us to: (1) develop new fear extinction paradigms in humans, (2) make specific predictions as to the location of extinction-related areas in humans, and (3) improve current extinction-based behavioral therapies for anxiety disorders.
- Anxiety disorders in Parkinson's disease: prevalence and risk factorsNadeeka N W Dissanayaka
Neurology Research Centre, Royal Brisbane and Women s Hospital, Brisbane, Australia
Mov Disord 25:838-45. 2010b>Anxiety disorders are common in Parkinson's disease (PD) patients, yet are poorly studied...
- World Federation of Societies of Biological Psychiatry (WFSBP) guidelines for the pharmacological treatment of anxiety, obsessive-compulsive and post-traumatic stress disorders - first revisionBorwin Bandelow
Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, University of Gottingen, Gottingen, Germany
World J Biol Psychiatry 9:248-312. 2008..other variants of behaviour therapy have been sufficiently investigated in controlled studies in patients with anxiety disorders, OCD, and PTSD to support them being recommended either alone or in combination with the above medicines.
- Regional brain volume in depression and anxiety disordersMarie Jose van Tol
Department of Psychiatry, Leiden University Medical Center, The Netherlands
Arch Gen Psychiatry 67:1002-11. 2010..Major depressive disorder (MDD), panic disorder, and social anxiety disorder are among the most prevalent and frequently co-occurring psychiatric disorders in adults and may have, at least in part, a common etiology...
- The pharmacologic treatment of anxiety disorders: a review of progressLakshmi N Ravindran
Department of Psychiatry, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Clin Psychiatry 71:839-54. 2010b>Anxiety disorders, as a group, are among the most common mental health conditions and frequently cause significant functional impairment...
- The relevance of recent developments in classical conditioning to understanding the etiology and maintenance of anxiety disordersSusan Mineka
Northwestern University, Psychology Swift Hall, 2029 Sheridan Road, Evanston, IL 60208, United States
Acta Psychol (Amst) 127:567-80. 2008Current etiological models of anxiety disorders emphasize both internal diatheses, or risk factors, and external stressors as important in the development and maintenance of clinical anxiety...
- The effect of mindfulness-based therapy on anxiety and depression: A meta-analytic reviewStefan G Hofmann
Department of Psychology, Boston University, MA 02215 2002, USA
J Consult Clin Psychol 78:169-83. 2010..Therefore, our objective was to conduct an effect size analysis of this popular intervention for anxiety and mood symptoms in clinical samples...
- The course of anxiety and depression through pregnancy and the postpartum in a community sampleJonathan Heron
University of Bristol, UK
J Affect Disord 80:65-73. 2004..Postnatal and antenatal depression are a focus of considerable clinical and research attention, but little is known about the patterns of anxiety across this period...
- The emotional Stroop task and psychopathologyJ M Williams
Department of Psychology, University of Wales, Bangor, Gwynedd
Psychol Bull 120:3-24. 1996..They address the causes and mechanisms underlying the phenomenon, focusing on J.D. Cohen, K. Dunbar, and J.L. McClelland's (1990) parallel distributed processing model...
- A population-based cohort study of the effect of common mental disorders on disability pension awardsArnstein Mykletun
Research Centre for Health Promotion, University of Bergen, Christiesgt 13, N 5015 Bergen, Norway
Am J Psychiatry 163:1412-8. 2006..The authors investigated empirically the contribution of psychiatric morbidity to the award of disability pensions, in particular those awarded for physical diagnoses...
- Epidemiology of the association between somatoform disorders and anxiety and depressive disorders: an updateRoselind Lieb
Epidemiology and Health Psychology, Institute of Psychology, University of Basel, Missionsstrasse 60 62, 4055 Basel, Switzerland
Psychosom Med 69:860-3. 2007..To review the available epidemiological evidence on associations between somatoform disorders with anxiety and depressive disorders...
- Neural mechanisms by which chronic stress regulates inflammation in asthmaMelissa A Rosenkranz; Fiscal Year: 2013..regulates inflammatory processes in asthma and through which the pathophysiology of asthma promotes mood and anxiety disorders. Her long-term goal is to generalize this aim;to bring to light the mechanisms and pathways through which ..
- Cellular Signaling in AlcoholismSubhash C Pandey; Fiscal Year: 2013..pathways, that can be used in developing new pharmacotherapies for both alcoholism and related co-morbid anxiety disorders. PUBLIC HEALTH RELEVANCE: Public Health Relevance: Alcohol abuse and anxiety disorders are major health ..
- Signaling Mechanisms in Alcohol Drinking BehaviorsSubhash C Pandey; Fiscal Year: 2013..mechanisms associated with the comorbidity of anxiety and alcoholism and will identify novel cellular targets that can be used to develop future therapeutic agents in treating alcohol-abuse disorders with and without anxiety disorders.
- Design and Synthesis of Anxioselective AnxiolyticsJames M Cook; Fiscal Year: 2010..Alterations in GABAA function from controls are known to occur in many anxiety disorders including panic disorder, epilepsy, hypersensitive behavior, phobias, schizophrenia, alcoholism, Anglemans ..
- STRESS, ADRENAL STEROIDS AND THE BRAINBruce S McEwen; Fiscal Year: 2013..In contrast, loss of resilience is a feature of mood and anxiety disorders and may be a consequence of repeated stress that is mediated by repeated elevation of glucocorticoids (GC&..
- Anxiety development in 5-HT1A autoreceptor knockout mice, interaction with stressRene Hen; Fiscal Year: 2010..b>Anxiety disorders are highly prevalent and are associated with high levels of morbidity and mortality as well as high cost...
- Neuroendocrine Mechanisms and Therapeutics in an Animal Model of PTSDDAVID MARK DIAMOND; Fiscal Year: 2013..CLINICAL RELEVANCE: Veterans exposed to traumatic stress during combat have a high incidence of anxiety disorders, such as PTSD...
- Mechanisms of structural plasticity in stress-related disordersScott J Russo; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Mood and anxiety disorders such as major depressive disorder (MDD) and post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) cause overlapping behavioral symptoms marked by hyperarousal, social avoidance, anxiety, ..
- Steroid Regulation of Serotonin in MalesCYNTHIA LOUISE BETHEA; Fiscal Year: 2013..Deficits in serotonin appear to precipitate depression and anxiety disorders more frequently in women, but deficits in serotonin in men often underlie irritability, hostility, anger, ..
- Dopamine Transporter Structure and FunctionChristopher K Surratt; Fiscal Year: 2010..Additionally, these studies may lead to therapeutics for other DAT-related conditions including depression, anxiety disorders, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, narcolepsy, chronic pain and Parkinson's disease...
- Integrated PTSD and Smoking TreatmentMark B Powers; Fiscal Year: 2013..My research experience to date is primarily in the area of the nature, causes, and treatment of anxiety disorders. Thus, my proposed line of research requires further training in substance use disorders...
- PTSD Hyperarousal Symptoms Treated with Physiological Stress ManagementWALTON THOMPSON ROTH; Fiscal Year: 2011..two clinical objections that have discouraged acceptance of relaxation for treatment of PTSD and other anxiety disorders: First, that relaxation is a "safety aid," ultimately limiting treatment success, and second, that a ..
- A translational model of neuro-immune therapy for PTSD in veterans of the OEF/OIFLeonardo H Tonelli; Fiscal Year: 2013..stress disorder (PTSD) is one of the most common war-related illness and is highly comorbid with other anxiety disorders. Veterans from the recent Iraq and Afghanistan wars (Operation Enduring Freedom/Operation Iraqi Freedom) ..
- Oxidative Stress: A Recipe for AnxietySamina Salim; Fiscal Year: 2012..These people have anxiety disorders. The mainstays of treatment are benzodiazepines and selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs)...
- Role of T Cell Mediated Immunity In Emotion And Stress ResponsivenessLeonardo H Tonelli; Fiscal Year: 2012..Such mental complications including depression and anxiety disorders impose a great burden to these patients which has been also related to the poor prognosis of the ..
- Integrated Treatment for Smoking Cessation &Anxiety in People with HIVMichael J Zvolensky; Fiscal Year: 2013..Although panic and related anxiety disorders frequently co-occur with smoking and are prevalent among persons living with HIV, there has been very little ..
- Online patient self-assessment for chronic pancreatic and other painAndrew H Soll; Fiscal Year: 2011..g., depression, anxiety disorders, trauma or abuse, poorly tolerated stress, and poor social support)...
- BDNF-Estrogen Interactions with Perimenopausal Mood and CognitionElizabeth M Waters; Fiscal Year: 2012..perimenopause contributes to the greater susceptibility of carriers of Val66Met allele to depression and anxiety disorders and BDNF signaling in the hippocampus has been hampered due to a lack of a rodent model...
- A Cohort Study of Preterm Delivery in Relation to Partner Abuse, Mood and AnxietyMichelle A Williams; Fiscal Year: 2013..of maternal history of childhood sexual abuse, lifetime- and pregnancy-IPV with the prevalence of mood and anxiety disorders (e.g., major depression, minor depression, generalized anxiety and post-traumatic stress disorder [PTSD])...
- Physiology and structure of prefrontal projections to memory and motor circuitsMaria Medalla; Fiscal Year: 2013..and the misattribution of context and drive for goal-directed action in depression and other mood and anxiety disorders. To date Dr...
- Hypocretin and Locus Ceruleus Interactions in Zebrafish Development and BehaviorGrigorios Oikonomou; Fiscal Year: 2012..diseases, Down and Rett syndromes, drug addiction, attention- deficit hyperactivity disorder and anxiety disorders. In vitro studies have provided strong evidence for interactions between Hcrt neurons and the LC...
- Impaired hippocampal function as a risk factor for Post-Traumatic Stress DisorderAlmira Vazdarjanova; Fiscal Year: 2013..Importantly, a previous history of PTSD or other anxiety disorders renders some people more susceptible to developing PTSD after subsequent traumatic events...
- DEVELOPMENT AND REGULATION OF EMOTION IN PRIMATESNed H Kalin; Fiscal Year: 2013..In children AT is key risk factor for the later development of anxiety disorders, depression and comorbid substance abuse...
- Trajectories and Markers of Neurodegeneration in Fragile X Premutation CarriersSusan M Rivera; Fiscal Year: 2013..deterioration with age, reduced brain stem and increased ventricular volume, and high rates of mood and anxiety disorders in adult carriers without FXTAS compared to controls with normal FMR1 alleles...
- smFRET Investigation of Gating in a Neurotransmitter Transporter HomologRACHEL ANN KOLSTER; Fiscal Year: 2013..In addition, NSS for GABA and glycine are promising targets for the treatment of epilepsy and anxiety disorders or schizophrenia, respectively...
- Addressing Oral Health Disparities in Individuals with Mental Health ProblemsLisa J Heaton; Fiscal Year: 2013..Indirectly, mood and anxiety disorders can interfere with motivation for adequate oral hygiene and willingness to seek preventive dental treatment...
- ANATOMY AND PHARMACOLOGY OF FEAR-POTENTIATED STARTLEMICHAEL NMN DAVIS; Fiscal Year: 2010..The work is relevant to human anxiety disorders and promises to elucidate critical events in the formation and elimination of fear and anxiety...
- NEURONAL CONTROL OF INTERACTIONS AMONG BEHAVIORSWilliam B Kristan; Fiscal Year: 2013..g., depression, mania, schizophrenia, autism, obsessive-compulsive disorder, anxiety disorders) are thought to act, at least partially, through serotonergic mechanisms...
- OVARIAN STEROID REGULATION OF SEROTONIN IN PRIMATESCYNTHIA LOUISE BETHEA; Fiscal Year: 2010..Inadequacy of the serotonin system is observed in individuals with depression and anxiety disorders. The results of the last project period strongly indicate that the ovarian steroids, estrogen (E) and ..
- Investigation of Gi/o Signaling in the 5HT SystemDAVINA GUTIERREZ; Fiscal Year: 2010..Various diseases have been associated with altered 5HT levels such as anxiety disorders and depression...
- 2/3 CBT for Anxiety Disorders in Autism: Adapting Treatment for AdolescentsEric A Storch; Fiscal Year: 2010..Comorbid anxiety disorders affect as many as 80% of youth with ASD, causing substantial distress and impairment over and above that ..
- 3/3 CBT for Anxiety Disorders in Autism: Adapting Treatment for AdolescentsJILL EHRENREICH MAY; Fiscal Year: 2010..Comorbid anxiety disorders affect as many as 80% of youth with ASD, causing substantial distress and impairment over and above that ..
- Impact of Corticotropin Releasing Factor (CRF) on Sleep RegulationRonald Szymusiak; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Insomnia and disturbed sleep are common symptoms in mood and anxiety disorders, including major depression and posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD)...
- Neuronal Mechanisms for Fear Memory Generalization in PTSD and Anxiety DisordersWei Xu; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and some other anxiety disorders manifest as overgeneralization of fear memories that are derived from traumatic experiences but now applied to nonhazardous ..
- Amygdala CRH, Insomnia and DepressionRong Zhang; Fiscal Year: 2012..and skills to 1) conduct the gene-modified research to identify the neuropathway underlying the mood and anxiety disorders 2) design, conduct and analyze stress-associated insomnia research...
- Cytokine Signaling as a Mediator of Fear and Anxiety After Myocardial InfarctionNATALIE CELIA TRONSON; Fiscal Year: 2012..I will determine the activation and role of cytokine-mediated JAK/STAT signaling the post-MI emergence of anxiety disorders and PTSD...
- Stress-Induced Gene Regulation: BNST CRF Neurons and the Physiology of AnxietyDonald G Rainnie; Fiscal Year: 2013..hormones into the BNST also plays a critical role in several central and peripheral pathologies, including anxiety disorders, posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD), stress-induced drug abuse, cardiovascular disease, as well as ..
- VESTIBULO-CEREBELLAR CIRCUITSCAREY DAVID BALABAN; Fiscal Year: 2013..unifying integrative neurologic explanations for co-morbid features of pain syndromes, balance disorders and anxiety disorders. The hypotheses explore the new perspective that there is a parallel neurochemical organization of ..
- Childhood Maltreatment: Epigenetic Modulation of the Glucocorticoid ReceptorAUDREY TYRKA; Fiscal Year: 2012..early-life stress (ELS) is an important risk factor for adult psychopathology, including major depression, anxiety disorders, and substance abuse...
- The Role of Amygdala GABAergic Transmission in Fear and AnxietyScott A Heldt; Fiscal Year: 2011..transmission in the regulation of fear and anxiety is highlighted by the fact that patients suffering from anxiety disorders are commonly treated by the administration of benzodiazepines (BZs), which mediate their actions via GABAA ..
- Roles of Nucleus Accumbens CREB and Kappa Function in DepressionWilliam A Carlezon; Fiscal Year: 2013..receptor (KOR) systems in the nucleus accumbens shell (NAs) affect behavior in the context of mood and anxiety disorders. Our 9 years of support has led to discoveries that have had a significant impact on the field: (i) stress ..
- Comprehensive vs. Assisted Management of Mood and Pain Symptoms (CAMMPS) TrialKurt Kroenke; Fiscal Year: 2013..especially burdensome in Veterans, with their high prevalence of chronic pain, depression, PTSD, and other anxiety disorders. Objectives. The Comprehensive vs...
- Developmental effects of 5-HTT genotype on stress reactivity and brain functionMoriah E Thomason; Fiscal Year: 2010..5-HT homeostasis has been implicated in the development of psychiatric disorders such as depression, anxiety disorders, drug addiction, and autism...
- The dorsal raphe and CRF: making the connectionsMichael S Clark; Fiscal Year: 2010Depression and anxiety disorders are among the leading causes of morbidity, mortality, and disability in the United States, and are highly associated with exposure to stress...
- Interactive effects of ethanol and estrogen on brain vasopressin during pubertyToni R Pak; Fiscal Year: 2010Women who abuse alcohol are twice as likely to develop anxiety disorders compared with men, a phenomenon in which the underlying biological mechanisms are unknown...
- Functional and Structural Neuroanatomy in Late-Life Generalized Anxiety DisorderCarmen Andreescu; Fiscal Year: 2013..an independent translational scientist, focused on the affective and cognitive neuroscience of late-life anxiety disorders. This area of research will seek to integrate the functional neural circuits relevant to anxious ..
- Epigenetic Mechanisms of Memory StorageEDWIN G ABEL; Fiscal Year: 2013..Changes in epigenetic modifications occur in animal models of depression and anxiety disorders, and alterations in DNA methylation have been found in post-mortem brains from patients with schizophrenia ..
- Melanocortin system stress and HPA axisXin Yun Lu; Fiscal Year: 2010..However, prolonged exposure to stressors produces detrimental effects, increasing the susceptibility for anxiety disorders, depression, eating disorders and obesity...
- Large-Scale Discovery of Functional Genetic Variation in Rhesus MacaquesJEFFREY A ROGERS; Fiscal Year: 2011..This species is also frequently used as an animal model in studies related to alcoholism, drug addiction, anxiety disorders and depression...
- Effects of tai chi chuan on psychobiological indicators of anxiety and sleep qualKAREN LEIGH CALDWELL; Fiscal Year: 2012..b>Anxiety disorders are estimated to affect 25% of the population over the lifetime and are associated with significant personal,..
- Behavioral and Molecular Analysis of Chromatin Modifications in Memory RetrievalJames M Stafford; Fiscal Year: 2012..Current treatment strategies for many anxiety disorders focus on ways to lessen the ability of environmental stimuli to evoke mental, emotional and physical anguish...
- Administrative Supplement: MBSR and Anxiety: Therapeutic and Neuroendocrine EffecElizabeth A Hoge; Fiscal Year: 2013..has already been shown to be helpful for several different health issues, but little data exists for anxiety disorders. To our knowledge, the protocol detailed here would be the first systematic controlled examination of ..
- Regulation of transcription by chromatin modifying enzymes in extinction learningRuth M Barrett; Fiscal Year: 2010..is currently in use as a form of behavioral therapy for human disorders including posttraumatic stress and anxiety disorders. Drugs that enhance extinction have been shown to be effective at enhancing extinction-based behavioral ..
- 1/3 CBT for Anxiety Disorders in Autism: Adapting Treatment for AdolescentsJeffrey Wood; Fiscal Year: 2010..Comorbid anxiety disorders affect as many as 80% of youth with ASD, causing substantial distress and impairment over and above that ..
- Cytokine Signaling as a Mediator of Fear and Anxiety After Myocardial InfarctionNATALIE CELIA TRONSON; Fiscal Year: 2013..I will determine the activation and role of cytokine-mediated JAK/STAT signaling the post-MI emergence of anxiety disorders and PTSD...
- Allosteric Modulators of CB1 Cannabinoid ReceptorGANESHSINGH ARJUNSINGH THAKUR; Fiscal Year: 2010..endocannabinoid activity hold therapeutic promise for a wide range of medical problems, including mood and anxiety disorders, Parkinson's and Huntington's diseases, pain, multiple sclerosis, cancer, cardiovascular disease, ..
- Molecular Determinants of Individual Differences in Fear Reactivity and RecoveryJoseph E LeDoux; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Anxiety disorders often develop following exposure to stress or trauma. These frequently have a significant fear component and are sometimes called "fear/anxiety" disorders...
- Brain pH and Acid Sensing in Depression-Related BehaviorJohn A Wemmie; Fiscal Year: 2013..conditioned and unconditioned fear behaviors, which model post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and other anxiety disorders. Together these findings suggest the exciting possibility that targeting ASIC1a will relieve depression and ..
- CRCNS: Path Intergration by the Grid Cell NetworkKechen Zhang; Fiscal Year: 2013..amnesic syndrome in conjunction with disorders like Alzheimer's disease, schizophrenia, depression, anxiety disorders, and post-traumatic stress...
- Stress and Type 2 Diabetes among Indigenous AdultsMelissa L Walls; Fiscal Year: 2013..and have lower prevalence rates of stress-related mental disorders such as major depressive episode and anxiety disorders. The goals of the proposed research are to advance measurement of stress processes among AI people through ..
- Large-Scale Discovery of Functional Genetic Variation in Rhesus MacaquesJEFFREY A ROGERS; Fiscal Year: 2013..This species is also frequently used as an animal model in studies related to alcoholism, drug addiction, anxiety disorders and depression...
- Stress and Noradrenergic Modulation of A10dc Dopamine NeuronsMEGAN A FETTIG; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Stress may lead to many pathological conditions such as anxiety disorders, post traumatic stress disorder, and addiction...
- HPA Axis in Depression and AnxietyElizabeth Young; Fiscal Year: 2005..in this application will continue to explore hormonal abnormalities in depression and also in related anxiety disorders, panic disorder and PTSD...
- Therapy Specificity and Mediation in Family & Group CBTWendy Silverman; Fiscal Year: 2006..has now accumulated demonstrating the efficacy of Individual Child Cognitive Behavior Therapy for reducing anxiety disorders in children...
- Cellular mechanisms mediating extinction of conditioned fearVadim Bolshakov; Fiscal Year: 2009b>Anxiety disorders, which include panic, phobias, post-traumatic stress disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder, and generalized anxiety, are among the most common forms of mental illness...
- Anticipating reward & threat: A test of biobehavioral processes in MDD vs anxietySTEWART AARON SHANKMAN; Fiscal Year: 2010DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Depressive and anxiety disorders are each associated with significant impairment and disability and when they co-occur (which happens at alarmingly high rates) are especially harmful and difficult to ..
- PEDIATRIC ANXIETY DISORDERS IN PRIMARY CAREFRANCES WREN; Fiscal Year: 2004..b>Anxiety Disorders are the most common pediatric internalizing disorders...
- Community Violence & Youth: Preventing Anxiety DisordersMICHELE COOLEY; Fiscal Year: 2004..prevention and early intervention program with inner-city, primarily African American children at risk for anxiety disorders. This cognitive-behavioral intervention is based on the FRIENDS Anxiety Prevention Program that has ..
- FLUOXETINES EFFECT ON ANXIETY AND BREATHING IN CHILDRENDaniel Pine; Fiscal Year: 2000..for a FIRST Award (R29) with the overall purpose of furthering knowledge of therapeutics for three childhood anxiety disorders: social phobia, separation anxiety, and generalized anxiety disorder...
- Assessing Mental Health Literacy for Anxiety DisorderMEREDITH ELLEN COLES; Fiscal Year: 2010..the mental health literacy literature to initiate a line of research assessing mental health literacy for anxiety disorders. Mental health literacy is defined as "knowledge and beliefs about mental disorders which aid their ..
- Sex differences in the corticotropin-releasing factor receptorDEBRA WAXLER BANGASSER; Fiscal Year: 2010Stress-related mental illnesses, such as depression and anxiety disorders, are more prevalent in women than men...
- NEUROBIOLOGICAL SUBSTRATES OF ANXIETY & PANIC DISORDERAnantha Shekhar; Fiscal Year: 1993b>Anxiety disorders are the most prevalent psychiatric disorders and appear to be a heterogenous group of disorders. The neurobiology of anxiety disorders is still poorly understood...
- Role of Orphan Nuclear Receptor Nurr1 in Fear ConditioningJonathan Ploski; Fiscal Year: 2007unreadable] DESCRIPTION (provided by candidate): Anxiety disorders are the most common mental illness in the U.S., affecting 19.1 million (13.3%) of the adult population...