- The emotional Stroop task and psychopathology
J M Williams
Department of Psychology, University of Wales, Bangor, Gwynedd
Psychol Bull 120:3-24. 1996
Attentional bias is a central feature of many cognitive theories of psychopathology. One of the most frequent methods of investigating such bias has been an emotional analog of the Stroop task...
- Large-scale brain networks and psychopathology: a unifying triple network model
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanfod, CA 94305, USA
Trends Cogn Sci 15:483-506. 2011
..recent conceptual and methodological developments which are contributing to a paradigm shift in the study of psychopathology. I summarize methods for characterizing aberrant brain networks and demonstrate how network analysis provides ..
- On inhibition/disinhibition in developmental psychopathology: views from cognitive and personality psychology and a working inhibition taxonomy
J T Nigg
Department of Psychology, Michigan State University, East Lansing 48824 1117, USA
Psychol Bull 126:220-46. 2000
Disinhibition is a common focus in psychopathology research. However, use of inhibition models often is piecemeal, lacking an overarching taxonomy of inhibitory processes...
- Network analysis: an integrative approach to the structure of psychopathology
Department of Psychology, University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam 1018 XA, The Netherlands
Annu Rev Clin Psychol 9:91-121. 2013
In network approaches to psychopathology, disorders result from the causal interplay between symptoms (e.g., worry → insomnia → fatigue), possibly involving feedback loops (e.g...
- Resilience to adult psychopathology following childhood maltreatment: evidence from a community sample
King s College London, MRC Social, Genetic, and Developmental Psychiatry Centre, Institute of Psychiatry, London, UK
Child Abuse Negl 31:211-29. 2007
..The aims of the present study were to address the extent of resilience to adult psychopathology in a representative community sample, and to explore predictors of a good prognosis.
- The antisaccade task as a research tool in psychopathology: a critical review
Samuel B Hutton
Department of Psychology, Sussex University, Brighton, UK
Psychophysiology 43:302-13. 2006
..and neural mechanisms involved in task performance, and review how the task has been applied to study psychopathology. We conclude that the task yields reliable and sensitive measures of the processes involved in resolving the ..
- Cytokines and psychopathology: lessons from interferon-alpha
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
Biol Psychiatry 56:819-24. 2004
- Psychopathology and psychogenic movement disorders
Human Motor Control Section, Medical Neurology Branch, National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
Mov Disord 26:1844-50. 2011
..A careful psychological assessment is indicated to optimize therapeutic modalities...
- Annual Research Review: Prenatal stress and the origins of psychopathology: an evolutionary perspective
Institute of Reproductive and Developmental Biology, Imperial College London, UK
J Child Psychol Psychiatry 52:356-67. 2011
..the role of genetics, there is good evidence that prenatal stress exposure can increase the risk for later psychopathology. Why should this be? In our evolutionary history it is possible that some increase in these characteristics ..
- The small world of psychopathology
Department of Psychology, University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
PLoS ONE 6:e27407. 2011
..We explain empirical comorbidity patterns based on a network model of psychiatric symptoms, derived from an analysis of symptom overlap in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders-IV (DSM-IV)...
- Rethinking environmental contributions to child and adolescent psychopathology: a meta-analysis of shared environmental influences
S Alexandra Burt
Department of Psychology, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI 48823, USA
Psychol Bull 135:608-37. 2009
..mounting evidence that during childhood and adolescence, c2 may make important contributions to most forms of psychopathology. The aim of the meta-analysis was to empirically confirm this hypothesis...
- Relationships between poverty and psychopathology: a natural experiment
E Jane Costello
Developmental Epidemiology Program, Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Duke University Medical School, Durham, NC 27710, USA
JAMA 290:2023-9. 2003
..Social causation (adversity and stress) vs social selection (downward mobility from familial liability to mental illness) are competing theories about the origins of mental illness...
- Using sex differences in psychopathology to study causal mechanisms: unifying issues and research strategies
SGDP Centre, Institute of Psychiatry, Kings College, London, UK
J Child Psychol Psychiatry 44:1092-115. 2003
..The review seeks to outline what is known, what are the methodological hazards that must be dealt with, and the research strategies that may be employed...
- Affective style, psychopathology, and resilience: brain mechanisms and plasticity
R J Davidson
Department of Psychology, University of Wisconsin Madison, 1202 West Johnson Street, Madison, WI 53706, USA
Am Psychol 55:1196-214. 2000
..Plasticity in this circuitry and its implications for transforming emotion and cultivating positive affect and resilience are considered...
- Inhibitory control and psychopathology: a meta-analysis of studies using the stop signal task
Department of Psychiatry, Neurosciences and Mental Health, The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Int Neuropsychol Soc 16:1064-76. 2010
..This confirms an inhibition deficit in ADHD, and suggests that comorbid ADHD has different effects on inhibition in patients with ANX, ODD/CD, and RD. Further studies are needed to firmly establish an inhibition deficit in OCD and SCZ...
- Oiling the brain: a review of randomized controlled trials of omega-3 fatty acids in psychopathology across the lifespan
Nutritional Physiology Research Centre, Sansom Institute for Health Research, University of South Australia, Frome Road, Adelaide 5000, Australia
Nutrients 2:128-70. 2010
..This review provides an updated overview of the published and the registered clinical trials that investigate effects of n-3 PUFA supplementation on mental health and behavior, highlighting methodological differences and issues...
- Adolescent subthreshold-depression and anxiety: psychopathology, functional impairment and increased suicide risk
Vadaskert Child and Adolescent Psychiatric Hospital, Budapest, Hungary
J Child Psychol Psychiatry 54:670-7. 2013
..This study investigates the characteristics of adolescent subthreshold-depression and anxiety with a focus on suicidality, using both categorical and dimensional diagnostic models...
- Emotional memory and psychopathology
J E Ledoux
Department of Psychology, New York University, NY 10003, USA
Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci 352:1719-26. 1997
..Advances in understanding emotional memory hold out the possibility that emotional disorders may be better defined and treatment improved...
- Reciprocal relationships between parenting behavior and disruptive psychopathology from childhood through adolescence
Jeffrey D Burke
Department of Psychiatry, Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic, University of Pittsburgh, 3811 O Hara St, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
J Abnorm Child Psychol 36:679-92. 2008
- Chronic childhood adversity and onset of psychopathology during three life stages: childhood, adolescence and adulthood
Department of Epidemiologic and Psychosocial Research, National Institute of Psychiatry Ramon de la Fuente, Mexico City, Mexico
J Psychiatr Res 44:732-40. 2010
- Measuring adolescent psychopathology: psychometric properties of the self-report strengths and difficulties questionnaire in a sample of Chinese adolescents
Medical Psychological Research Center, Second Xiangya Hospital, Central South University, Changsha, Hunan 410011, China
J Adolesc Health 45:55-62. 2009
The Strengths and Difficulties Questionnaire (SDQ) is a brief but comprehensive screening tool for adolescent psychopathology. The current study examined the psychometric properties of the Chinese version of the self-report form of the ..
- Rediscovering psychopathology: the epistemology and phenomenology of the psychiatric object
Danish National Research Foundation, Center for Subjectivity Research, University of Copenhagen, Denmark
Schizophr Bull 39:270-7. 2013
..In honor of the centenary of Karl Jaspers' book, General Psychopathology, we offer a critique of the contemporary "operationalist" epistemology, a critique that is consistent with ..
- Testing the psychosis continuum: differential impact of genetic and nongenetic risk factors and comorbid psychopathology across the entire spectrum of psychosis
Department of Psychiatry, Ataturk State Hospital, Sinop, Turkey
Schizophr Bull 38:992-1002. 2012
..Liability associated with respectively affective and nonaffective symptom domains, in interaction with environmental risks, may operate by impacting differentially over a quasi-continuous extended psychosis phenotype in the population...
- Zanarini Rating Scale for Borderline Personality Disorder (ZAN-BPD): a continuous measure of DSM-IV borderline psychopathology
Mary C Zanarini
Department of Psychiatry, McLean Hospital, Belmont, Massachusetts 02478, USA
J Pers Disord 17:233-42. 2003
..Disorder (ZAN-BPD), the first clinician-administered scale for the assessment of change in DSM-IV borderline psychopathology. The questions for the measure were adapted from the BPD module of the Diagnostic Interview for DSM-IV ..
- Emotion regulation and psychopathology: the role of gender
Department of Psychology, Yale University, New Haven, Connecticut 06520, USA
Annu Rev Clin Psychol 8:161-87. 2012
This review addresses three questions regarding the relationships among gender, emotion regulation, and psychopathology: (a) are there gender differences in emotion regulation strategies, (b) are emotion regulation strategies similarly ..
- Eating patterns in a population-based sample of children aged 5 to 7 years: association with psychopathology and parentally perceived impairment
Brain and Behavioural Sciences Unit, UCL Institute of Child Health, London, UK
J Dev Behav Pediatr 32:572-80. 2011
There is still a lack of research on childhood eating patterns and their correlates in relation to psychopathology and parentally perceived impact in general population samples...
- How we think about cognition, emotion, and biology in psychopathology
G A Miller
University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, USA
Psychophysiology 33:615-28. 1996
..A naively reductionistic view of psychological concepts is prevalent, particularly in the psychopathology literature...
- Coping with stress during childhood and adolescence: problems, progress, and potential in theory and research
B E Compas
Department of Psychology, University of Vermont, Burlington 05405, USA
Psychol Bull 127:87-127. 2001
..Studies of the association of coping with symptoms of psychopathology and social and academic competence are reviewed...
- Stress during development: Impact on neuroplasticity and relevance to psychopathology
Center of Neuropharmacology, Department of Pharmacological Sciences, University of Milan, Via Balzaretti 9, 20133 Milan, Italy
Prog Neurobiol 81:197-217. 2007
..of exposure to stressful events during prenatal or early postnatal life that might contribute to later psychopathology. The use of the newest methodology in the field and the intensive efforts produced by researchers have opened ..
- Neural correlates of emotion regulation in psychopathology
Stephan F Taylor
University of Michigan Department of Psychiatry, 4250 Plymouth Rd, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 5765, USA
Trends Cogn Sci 11:413-8. 2007
What can psychopathology and its treatment tell us about cognitive emotional interactions? Standard approaches to interactions between emotion and cognition often adopt a variant of the idea that cognitive processes, subserved by dorsal ..
- The borderline diagnosis I: psychopathology, comorbidity, and personality structure
Andrew E Skodol
Department of Psychiatry, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, New York, USA
Biol Psychiatry 51:936-50. 2002
..on the current status of the borderline diagnosis and prospects for its future development, we examine the psychopathology, comorbidity, and personality structure of BPD...
- Steroids, neuroactive steroids and neurosteroids in psychopathology
Bernardo O Dubrovsky
McGill University, 3445 Drummond Street, 701, Montreal, Quebec, H3G 1X9, Canada
Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry 29:169-92. 2005
..The importance of context for the interpretation of behavioral effects of hormones as well as for hormonal levels in body fluids is emphasized. Some suggestions for further research are given...
- Autism spectrum disorders: sex differences in autistic behaviour domains and coexisting psychopathology
Department of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, JW Goethe University Frankfurt Main, Germany
Dev Med Child Neurol 49:361-6. 2007
..males and females with autism spectrum disorder (ASD) regarding the core symptoms of autism and coexisting psychopathology. A total of 23 females and 23 males matched for age, IQ, and ASD diagnoses were recruited(mean age 11y 9mo [..
- Early disruption of the mother-infant relationship: effects on brain plasticity and implications for psychopathology
Behavioural Pathophysiology Section, Laboratorio di Fisiopatologia di Organo e di Sistema, Istituto Superiore di Sanita, Viale Regina Elena 299, I 00161 Rome, Italy
Neurosci Biobehav Rev 27:73-82. 2003
..Changes in the levels of neurotrophic factors during critical developmental stages might result in long-term changes in neuronal plasticity and lead to increased vulnerability to aging and to psychopathology.
- Behavioral inhibition system (BIS), behavioral activation system (BAS) and schizophrenia: relationship with psychopathology and physiology
Marion R M Scholten
Department of Psychiatry, Rudolf Magnus Institute of Neuroscience, University Medical Centre, P O Box 85500, 3508 GA Utrecht, Referrence Nr A 00 241, The Netherlands
J Psychiatr Res 40:638-45. 2006
..Imbalance in BIS and BAS levels has been reported to be related to various forms of psychopathology. Since sensitivity to stress has been supposed to be a pathway for the development of psychotic symptoms, the ..
- Psychometric perspectives on diagnostic systems
Department of Psychology, University of Amsterdam, Roetersstraat 15, 1018WB Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Clin Psychol 64:1089-108. 2008
..The author concludes that the psychometric analysis of diagnostic systems is not settled, and that these systems require deeper psychometric analysis than they currently receive...
- Neurological abnormalities among offspring of persons with schizophrenia: relation to premorbid psychopathology
Konasale M Prasad
University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Schizophr Res 108:163-9. 2009
..We investigated the prevalence, and neurocognitive and psychopathological correlates of NEA among offspring of schizophrenia patients who are at increased genetic risk for this illness...
- The use of latent trajectory models in psychopathology research
Patrick J Curran
Department of Psychology, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 3270, USA
J Abnorm Psychol 112:526-44. 2003
..individual differences in stability and change over time, these methods are not currently widely used in psychopathology research...
- Putting the person back into psychopathology: an intervention to reduce mental illness stigma in the classroom
Caroline E Mann
Psychology Dept, University of Tennessee at Knoxville, Knoxville, TN, USA
Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol 43:545-51. 2008
This research aims to compare the effectiveness of two methods of teaching psychopathology in reducing stigma toward mental illness...
- Psychopathology and personality traits in psychotic patients and their first-degree relatives
M J Cortes
Unitat de Psiquiatria i Psicologia Mèdica, Department Medicina i Cirurgia, Fac Medicina i Ciències de la Salut, Universitat Rovira i Virgili, C Sant Llorenç 21, 43201 Reus, Spain
Eur Psychiatry 24:476-82. 2009
..The so-called characterial traits like ST would be associated with the appearance of psychotic symptoms...
- Endophenotypes in psychopathology research: where do we stand?
Gregory A Miller
Department of Psychology, University of Delaware, Newark, Delaware 19716, USA
Annu Rev Clin Psychol 9:177-213. 2013
Endophenotypes for psychopathology have been conceived as latent, unobserved, but measureable manifestations of phenomena that causally connect genetic liability to clinical disorder...
- International epidemiology of child and adolescent psychopathology I: diagnoses, dimensions, and conceptual issues
Thomas M Achenbach
Psychology, University of Vermont, 1 South Prospect Street, Burlington, VT 05401, USA
J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 51:1261-72. 2012
- Dimensional psychopathology in offspring of parents with bipolar disorder
Rasim Somer Diler
Department of Psychiatry, University of Pittsburgh, School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Bipolar Disord 13:670-8. 2011
To compare the dimensional psychopathology in offspring of parents with bipolar disorder (BP) with offspring of community control parents as assessed by the Child Behavior Checklist (CBCL).
- The reliability and validity of discrete and continuous measures of psychopathology: a quantitative review
Kristian E Markon
Department of Psychology, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
Psychol Bull 137:856-79. 2011
..e., dimensional) and discrete (i.e., categorical) measures of psychopathology. Overall, results suggest an expected 15% increase in reliability and 37% increase in validity through ..
- Developing constructs for psychopathology research: research domain criteria
Charles A Sanislow
Department of Psychology, Wesleyan University, Middletown, CT 06459, USA
J Abnorm Psychol 119:631-9. 2010
..exists a divide between findings from integrative neuroscience and clinical research focused on mechanisms of psychopathology. Specifically, a clear correspondence does not emerge between clusters of complex clinical symptoms and ..
- The association between psychopathology and substance use in young people: a review of the literature
Department of Psychiatry and Mental Health, and Adolescent Health Research Unit, University of Cape Town, Cape Town, South Africa
J Psychoactive Drugs 42:37-47. 2010
This article reviews the recent literature on the association between psychopathology and substance use in young people...
- The roles of persistence and perseveration in psychopathology
Department of Clinical, Educational and Health Psychology, University College London and Central and North West London NHS Foundation Trust, London
Behav Ther 40:260-71. 2009
..Persistence was associated with lower levels of psychopathology, whereas perseveration was associated with higher levels of psychopathology...
- How far are associations between child, family and community factors and child psychopathology informant-specific and informant-general?
King s College London Institute of Psychiatry, MRC Social, Genetic, and Developmental Psychiatry Centre, London, UK
J Child Psychol Psychiatry 50:571-80. 2009
Assessments of child psychopathology commonly rely on multiple informants, e.g., parents, teachers and children...
- Oxytocin receptor gene polymorphism (rs2254298) interacts with familial risk for psychopathology to predict symptoms of depression and anxiety in adolescent girls
Renee J Thompson
Department of Psychology, Stanford University, Stanford, CA, USA
Psychoneuroendocrinology 36:144-7. 2011
..These findings highlight the potential importance of this OXTR gene polymorphism in the etiology of depression and anxiety disorders...
- Benefits and pitfalls in the merging of disciplines: the example of developmental psychopathology and the study of persons with autism
Jacob A Burack
Department of Educational Psychology, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Dev Psychopathol 14:225-37. 2002
Recent advances in the discipline of developmental psychopathology highlight the contributions of developmental thought to the study of persons with autism...
- A modest proposal for another phenomenological approach to psychopathology
Paul E Mullen
Victorian Institute of Forensic Mental Health, Monash University, Locked Bag 10, Fairfield, Melbourne, Victoria 3078, Australia
Schizophr Bull 33:113-21. 2007
In 1912, Karl Jaspers published an article entitled "The Phenomenological Approach to Psychopathology." This and his subsequent text, General Psychopathology, was to exert a profound influence on the development of psychiatry in general ..
- An evidence-based review of the psychopathology of frontotemporal dementia: a report of the ANPA Committee on Research
Mario F Mendez
Department of Neurology and Psychiatry, UCLA, USA
J Neuropsychiatry Clin Neurosci 20:130-49. 2008
..The results of this review highlight the distinct neuropsychiatric manifestations of frontotemporal dementia and the need to reconsider the current diagnostic criteria for this disorder...
- Analyzing psychopathology items: a case for nonparametric item response theory modeling
Rob R Meijer
Department of Research Methodology, Measurement and Data Analysis, University of Twente, Enschede, The Netherlands
Psychol Methods 9:354-68. 2004
..item response theory (IRT) models to the construction and psychometric analysis of personality and psychopathology scales, and they contrast these models with parametric IRT models...
- Principal domains of behavioral psychopathology identified by the Bipolar Inventory of Signs and Symptoms Scale (BISS)
Peter M Thompson
Department of Psychiatry, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, San Antonio, TX 78290 3900, USA
Psychiatry Res 175:221-6. 2010
..Despite the common occurrence of anxiety in BD, it has not been identified in most prior factor analyses, in part due to limited coverage of anxiety symptoms in the source scales...
- Testing the cumulative stress and mismatch hypotheses of psychopathology in a rat model of early-life adversity
Nikolaos P Daskalakis
Division of Medical Pharmacology, Leiden Amsterdam Center for Drug Research, Einsteinweg 55, 2333 CC, Leiden, The Netherlands
Physiol Behav 106:707-21. 2012
In the present study, we tested both the cumulative stress and the mismatch hypothesis of psychopathology. For this purpose the combined effects of early-life adversity and later-life stress exposure on behavioral markers of psychosis ..
- Psychopathology, families, and culture: autism
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, University of Washington, Box 357920, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
Child Adolesc Psychiatr Clin N Am 19:855-67. 2010
..In this article, cultural influences on the prevalence of autism and the diagnostic and treatment processes are reviewed and synthesized through a consideration of the developmental context and through clinical practice suggestions...
- The developmental psychopathology of motivation in adolescence
School of Psychology, University of Southampton, Highfield, Southampton, United Kingdom
Dev Cogn Neurosci 1:414-29. 2011
Adolescence is a key period for the emergence of psychopathology, with many psychiatric disorders having their modal age-of-onset during this period...
- Recovering from early deprivation: attachment mediates effects of caregiving on psychopathology
University of New Orleans, USA
J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 51:683-93. 2012
Children exposed to early institutional rearing are at risk for developing psychopathology. The present investigation examines caregiving quality and the role of attachment security as they relate to symptoms of psychopathology in young ..
- Measures of psychopathology in children with complex partial seizures and primary generalized epilepsy with absence
Neuropsychiatric Institute, Los Angeles, CA, 90024, USA
J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 40:907-14. 2001
This investigation examined psychopathology in 48 children with complex partial seizures (CPS), 39 children with primary generalized epilepsy with absence (PGE), and 59 nonepileptic children, aged 5 to 16 years, by comparing the Child ..
- Psychopathology in a large cohort of sexually abused children followed up to 43 years
Margaret C Cutajar
Centre for Forensic Behavioural Science, Monash University, 505 Hoddle Street, Clifton Hill, Melbourne, VIC 3068, Australia
Child Abuse Negl 34:813-22. 2010
..To determine the rate and risk of clinical and personality disorders diagnosed in childhood and adulthood in those known to have been sexually abused during childhood...
- Depressive symptoms and psychosocial stress across the transition to parenthood: associations with parental psychopathology and child difficulty
Department of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, University of Basel, Switzerland
J Psychosom Obstet Gynaecol 26:173-83. 2005
..Our study investigated differential effects of parental psychopathology and child difficulty on the course of depressive symptoms and feelings of stress for first-time mothers and ..
- Psychopathology in a Swedish population of school children with tic disorders
Department of Neuroscience, Uppsala University, Uppsala, Sweden
J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 45:1346-53. 2006
..To examine patterns of psychiatric comorbid disorders and associated problems in a school population of children with tic disorders...
- Persistent cognitive impairment in depression: the role of psychopathology and altered hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenocortical (HPA) system regulation
Max Planck Institute of Psychiatry, Munich, Germany
Biol Psychiatry 62:400-6. 2007
..This study examines the associations between HPA system regulation, cognitive functioning, and psychopathology in depressed inpatients on admission and at discharge.
- Psychopathology in offspring from families of alcohol dependent female probands: a prospective study
Shirley Y Hill
Department of Psychiatry, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, 3811 O Hara St, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
J Psychiatr Res 45:285-94. 2011
..Multiplex AD families in which multiple cases of AD are present provide an ideal setting for understanding developmental variants of the adult phenotype...
- The Nordic advantage in child mental health: separating health differences from reporting style in a cross-cultural comparison of psychopathology
Centre for Child and Adolescent Mental Health, Bergen, Norway
J Child Psychol Psychiatry 49:678-85. 2008
The use of similar standardised measures of psychopathology for population surveys permits cross-cultural comparisons. However, interpretation of findings can be challenging because rating thresholds may differ across cultures...
- Specificity of relations between children's control-related beliefs and internalizing and externalizing psychopathology
S S Han
Department of Psychology and Human Development, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, Tennessee 37212, USA
J Consult Clin Psychol 69:240-51. 2001
..specificity of the relation between 3 types of control-related beliefs and internalizing and externalizing psychopathology in a sample of 290 clinic-referred children aged 7 to 17 years...
- Implicit measures of association in psychopathology research
Department of Clinical Psychological Science, Faculty of Psychology and Neuroscience, Maastricht University, Maastricht, The Netherlands
Psychol Bull 137:149-93. 2011
..Text Revision; American Psychiatric Association, 2000) Axis I psychopathology are organized into three categories: (a) studies comparing groups having a disorder with controls, (b) ..
- Identification of child maltreatment using prospective and self-report methodologies: a comparison of maltreatment incidence and relation to later psychopathology
Institute of Child Development, University of Minnesota, 51 East River Road, Minneapolis, MN 55455, USA
Child Abuse Negl 32:682-92. 2008
..The current study compared incidents of maltreatment identified prospectively, retrospectively, or through a combination of both methods...
- Comorbid forms of psychopathology: key patterns and future research directions
Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Health and Society Scholars Program, Department of Epidemiology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 2029, USA
Epidemiol Rev 30:155-77. 2008
The purpose of this review is to systematically appraise the peer-reviewed literature about clustered forms of psychopathology and to present a framework that can be useful for studying comorbid psychiatric disorders...
- The effects of sleep deprivation on symptoms of psychopathology in healthy adults
Ellen T Kahn-Greene
Department of Behavioral Biology, Division of Psychiatry and Neuroscience, Walter Reed Army Institute of Research WRAIR, 503 Robert Grant Avenue, Silver Spring, MD 20910, USA
Sleep Med 8:215-21. 2007
..However, the extent to which sleep deprivation may be associated with the emergence of clinical symptoms of psychopathology in healthy normal individuals is not clear.
- Risk factors for psychosis in an ultra high-risk group: psychopathology and clinical features
Alison R Yung
Department of Psychiatry, University of Melbourne and ORYGEN Research Centre, Australia
Schizophr Res 67:131-42. 2004
..Measures of symptom duration, functioning, disability and psychopathology were made at intake, 6 and 12 months...
- Disturbance of pro-inflammatory cytokines in post-traumatic psychopathology
A G Sutherland
Department of Orthopaedics, University of Aberdeen Medical School, Polwarth Building, Foresterhill, AB9 2ZD, Scotland, Aberdeen, UK
Cytokine 24:219-25. 2003
Post-traumatic psychopathology (PTP) is important to the orthopaedic surgeon as it may complicate the recovery from musculoskeletal injury...
- Psychopathology in children of Holocaust survivors: a review of the research literature
N P Kellerman
AMCHA, National Israeli Center for Psychosocial Support of Holocaust Survivors and the Second Generation, P O B 2930, Jerusalem, 91029, Israel
Isr J Psychiatry Relat Sci 38:36-46. 2001
..The main question involves the presence or absence of specific psychopathology in this population...
- Are psychotic psychopathology and neurocognition orthogonal? A systematic review of their associations
Maria de Gracia Dominguez
Department of Psychiatry and Neuropsychology, Maastricht University, The Netherlands
Psychol Bull 135:157-71. 2009
..29 to -.12). In contrast, positive and depressive dimensions of psychopathology were not associated with neurocognitive measures...
- Childhood adversities and adult psychopathology in the National Comorbidity Survey Replication (NCS-R) III: associations with functional impairment related to DSM-IV disorders
K A McLaughlin
Department of Health Care Policy, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Psychol Med 40:847-59. 2010
..We report the associations between CAs and functional impairment associated with 12-month DSM-IV disorders in a national sample...
- Parental bonding and adult psychopathology: results from the US National Comorbidity Survey
M W Enns
Department of Psychiatry, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Canada
Psychol Med 32:997-1008. 2002
..Much of this research, however, has relied on clinical populations with one or two disorders, or has used highly select community samples...
- Early adolescent psychopathology as a predictor of alcohol use disorders by young adulthood
University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, 201 N Craig St, Sterling Building Suite 408, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Drug Alcohol Depend 88:S38-49. 2007
..The relative contribution of other forms of adolescent psychopathology (i.e...
- DSM-IV internal construct validity: when a taxonomy meets data
C A Hartman
University of Groningen, Faculty of Medical Sciences, Dept of Psychiatry, The Netherlands
J Child Psychol Psychiatry 42:817-36. 2001
The use of DSM-IV based questionnaires in child psychopathology is on the increase...
- Psychopathology associated with drinking and alcohol use disorders in the college and general adult populations
Deborah A Dawson
U S Department of Health and Human Services, National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, National Institutes of Health, NIAAA DBE, Bethesda, MD 20892 7003, USA
Drug Alcohol Depend 77:139-50. 2005
..Factors that may help explain the weaker association of psychopathology and drinking in the college population include selectivity and greater availability of social and treatment ..
- Change in child psychopathology with improvement in parental depression: a systematic review
MEREDITH L GUNLICKS
Department of Psychiatry, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, NY 10032, USA
J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 47:379-89. 2008
To systematically review current research evidence of associations between improvement in parents' depression and their children's psychopathology.
- Panic attacks as a risk for later psychopathology: results from a nationally representative survey
D Jolene Kinley
Department of Psychology, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Depress Anxiety 28:412-9. 2011
..suggesting that panic attacks without panic disorder are associated with increases in a wide range of psychopathology and impairment. However, the majority of the literature to date has been cross-sectional...
- Personality, psychopathology, life attitudes and neuropsychological performance among ritual users of Ayahuasca: a longitudinal study
José Carlos Bouso
Human Experimental Neuropsychopharmacology, IIB Sant Pau, Barcelona, Spain
PLoS ONE 7:e42421. 2012
..ayahuasca use on general psychological well-being, mental health and cognition, here we assessed personality, psychopathology, life attitudes and neuropsychological performance in regular ayahuasca users (n = 127) and controls (n = 115)..
- Mother-infant bonding impairment across the first 6 months postpartum: the primacy of psychopathology in women with childhood abuse and neglect histories
Department of Psychiatry and Depression Center, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 2701, USA
Arch Womens Ment Health 16:29-38. 2013
..in the context of maternal risk, including maternal history of childhood abuse and neglect and postpartum psychopathology, and to test the association between self-reported bonding impairment and observed positive parenting ..
- Wisconsin Twin Research: early development, childhood psychopathology, autism, and sensory over-responsivity
Nicole L Schmidt
University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI, USA
Twin Res Hum Genet 16:376-84. 2013
..Across the various studies, testing occasions occurred between 3 months and 18 years of age. Data collection for some aspects of the research program has concluded and, for other aspects, longitudinal follow-ups are in progress...
- What is bizarre in bizarre delusions? A critical review
University Department of Psychiatry, Hospital of Sainte Marguerite, University of Marseilles, Marseilles, France
Schizophr Bull 36:667-79. 2010
..The notion of "bizarreness" in schizophrenia is not purely theoretical; it has practical relevance for the therapeutic encounter and implications on further empirical research and on diagnostic approaches...
- Non-medical prescription use increases the risk for the onset and recurrence of psychopathology: results from the National Epidemiological Survey on Alcohol and Related Conditions
Ty S Schepis
Department of Psychology, Texas State University, 601 University Drive, San Marcos, TX 78666, USA
Addiction 106:2146-55. 2011
..of the non-medical use of prescription medications (NUPM) and strong cross-sectional associations between psychopathology and NUPM, we examined whether a history of NUPM increased the risk for onset and recurrence of psychopathology...
- Long-term outcomes in borderline psychopathology: old assumptions, current findings, and new directions
Charles A Sanislow
Department of Psychology, Wesleyan University, 207 High Street Judd Hall, Middletown, CT 06459, USA
Curr Psychiatry Rep 14:54-61. 2012
..BPD) and historical variants of the diagnosis were long held to represent an intractable syndrome of psychopathology consisting of interpersonal, intrapsychic, and affective disturbances...
- Understanding risk for psychopathology through imaging gene-environment interactions
Luke W Hyde
Department of Psychology and Center for the Neural Basis of Cognition, University of Pittsburgh, 210 South Bouquet St, Pittsburgh, PA 15260, USA
Trends Cogn Sci 15:417-27. 2011
Examining the interplay of genes, experience and the brain is crucial to understanding psychopathology. We review the recent gene-environment interaction (G×E) and imaging genetics literature with the goal of developing models to bridge ..
- Trends in psychopathology across the adolescent years: what changes when children become adolescents, and when adolescents become adults?
E Jane Costello
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Center for Developmental Epidemiology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
J Child Psychol Psychiatry 52:1015-25. 2011
..Little is known about changes in the prevalence of psychiatric disorders between childhood and adolescence, and adolescence and adulthood...
- Eating disorder psychopathology does not predict the overweight severity in subjects seeking weight loss treatment
Psychiatric Unit, Department of Neuropsychiatric Sciences, Florence University School of Medicine, 50134 Firenze, Italy
Compr Psychiatry 49:359-63. 2008
..features of a sample of overweight or obese subjects seeking weight loss treatment and to evaluate the possible, significant associations between the levels of overweight and the specific and general eating disorder psychopathology.
- Parental psychopathology and the risk of suicidal behavior in their offspring: results from the World Mental Health surveys
Department of Psychiatry, University College Hospital, Ibadan, Nigeria
Mol Psychiatry 16:1221-33. 2011
Previous research suggests that parental psychopathology predicts suicidal behavior among offspring; however, the more fine-grained associations between specific parental disorders and distinct stages of the pathway to suicide are not ..
- Alterations of behavioral and endocrinological reactivity induced by 3 brief social defeats in rats: relevance to human psychopathology
Neurosciences CEDD, GlaxoSmithKline Medicine Research Centre, 37135 Verona, Italy
Psychoneuroendocrinology 34:1405-16. 2009
In the realm of animal models of psychopathology, social stress based procedures rely on robust theoretical prerequisites to meet construct validity criteria for the target syndromes...
- An exploration of competitiveness and caring in relation to psychopathology
Mental Health Research Unit, Kingsway Hospital, Derby, UK
Br J Clin Psychol 51:19-36. 2012
..We hypothesized therefore that depression, in both clinical and non-clinical populations, would be primarily linked to competitive and rank focused sense of self rather than a caring sense of self...
- Psychopathology, coronary heart disease and metabolic syndrome in schizophrenia spectrum patients with deficit versus non-deficit schizophrenia: findings from the CLAMORS study
Psychiatry Department, Hospital General Universitario Gregorio Marañón and Centro de Investigación Biomédica en Red de Salud Mental, CIBERSAM, Madrid, Spain
Eur Neuropsychopharmacol 21:867-75. 2011
..8% (95% CI: 8.8-15.5) vs. 6.0% (95% CI: 4.4-8.1), (p<0.05)]. Schizophrenia spectrum patients with DS were more obese and had a higher CHD risk than non-deficit patients...
- Do parental psychopathology and unfavorable family environment predict the persistence of social phobia?
Institute of Clinical Psychology and Psychotherapy, Technische Universitaet Dresden, Chemnitzer Str 46, 01187 Dresden, Germany
J Anxiety Disord 23:986-94. 2009
Parental psychopathology and unfavorable family environment are established risk factors for onset of offspring social phobia (SP), but their associations with the further course, e.g., persistence of the disorder, remain understudied...
- Antiepileptic drugs and psychopathology of epilepsy: an update
Department of Neurology, Amedeo Avogadro University, Novara, Italy
Epileptic Disord 11:1-9. 2009
..A previous history of psychiatric disorder or a familial predisposition are important risk factors and should be always considered when choosing the appropriate AED...
- Increased prevalence of psychopathology and maladaptive personality traits after long-term cure of Cushing's disease
Department of Endocrinology and Metabolic Diseases, Leiden University Medical Center, Leiden, The Netherlands
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 95:E129-41. 2010
b>Psychopathology and maladaptive personality traits are often observed during the active phase of Cushing's disease (CD)...
- Children's perceptions of parental emotional neglect and control and psychopathology
MRC Social and Public Health Sciences Unit, Glasgow, UK
J Child Psychol Psychiatry 52:889-97. 2011
Parental emotional neglect is linked to psychiatric disorder. This study explores the associations between children's perceptions of parental emotional neglect and future psychopathology.
- Recurrent abdominal pain and headache--psychopathology, life events and family functioning
Aghia Sophia Children s Hospital, Athens, Greece
Eur Child Adolesc Psychiatry 11:115-22. 2002
We assessed the psychopathology of children and adolescents with Recurrent Abdominal Pain (RAP) and tension-type headaches (TTH), the psychopathology and Expressed Emotion (EE) of their mothers and family functioning...
- Traumatic life events in bipolar disorder: impact on BDNF levels and psychopathology
Post Graduate Biochemistry Program, Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul, Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil
Bipolar Disord 9:128-35. 2007
..a traumatic event or events (TE) have lower brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) levels and more severe psychopathology as indicated by increased comorbidity and other clinical features when compared to those who were not exposed ..
- Salivary cortisol and psychopathology in children bereaved by the september 11, 2001 terror attacks
Cynthia R Pfeffer
Department of Psychiatry, Weill Medical College of Cornell University, New York, 10605 USA
Biol Psychiatry 61:957-65. 2007
..This prospective longitudinal study evaluated relationships among severe psychosocial stress, psychiatric morbidity, and HPA axis function in children...