Genomes and Genes
Summary: The medical science that deals with the origin, diagnosis, prevention, and treatment of mental disorders.
Publications375 found, 100 shown here
- The endophenotype concept in psychiatry: etymology and strategic intentionsIrving I Gottesman
Department of Psychiatry, University of Minnesota Medical School, Minneapolis 55454, USA
Am J Psychiatry 160:636-45. 2003..The authors discuss the etymology and strategy behind the use of endophenotypes in neuropsychiatric research and, more generally, in research on other diseases with complex genetics...
- Costs of nine common mental disorders: implications for curative and preventive psychiatryFilip Smit
Trimbos Institute Netherlands Institute of Mental Health and Addiction, P O Box 725, 2500 AS Utrecht, The Netherlands
J Ment Health Policy Econ 9:193-200. 2006..Moreover, few cost-of-illness studies used population-based psychiatric surveys for estimating direct medical, direct non-medical and indirect costs, and were able to do so for several well diagnosed mental disorders...
- Move over ANOVA: progress in analyzing repeated-measures data and its reflection in papers published in the Archives of General PsychiatryRalitza Gueorguieva
Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut, USA
Arch Gen Psychiatry 61:310-7. 2004..data presents challenges to investigators and is a topic for ongoing discussion in the Archives of General Psychiatry. Traditional methods of statistical analysis (end-point analysis and univariate and multivariate repeated-..
- The psychiatric GWAS consortium: big science comes to psychiatryPatrick F Sullivan
Department of Genetics, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC 27599, USA
Neuron 68:182-6. 2010....
- A critical review of the first 10 years of candidate gene-by-environment interaction research in psychiatryLaramie E Duncan
Harvard School of Public Health, Massachusetts General Hospital, McLean Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Belmont, USA
Am J Psychiatry 168:1041-9. 2011Gene-by-environment interaction (G×E) studies in psychiatry have typically been conducted using a candidate G×E (cG×E) approach, analogous to the candidate gene association approach used to test genetic main effects...
- Attitudes toward psychiatry: a survey of medical students at the University of Nairobi, KenyaDavid M Ndetei
Department of Psychiatry, University of Nairobi, Kenya
Acad Psychiatry 32:154-9. 2008The authors aim to determine the attitudes of University of Nairobi, Kenya, medical students toward psychiatry.
- Using electronic medical records to enable large-scale studies in psychiatry: treatment resistant depression as a modelR H Perlis
Depression Clinic and Research Program, Department of Psychiatry, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA, USA
Psychol Med 42:41-50. 2012Electronic medical records (EMR) provide a unique opportunity for efficient, large-scale clinical investigation in psychiatry. However, such studies will require development of tools to define treatment outcome.
- The impact of the CONSORT statement on reporting of randomized clinical trials in psychiatryChangsu Han
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Duke University Medical Center and Duke Clinical Research Institute, Durham, NC, USA
Contemp Clin Trials 30:116-22. 2009..recommendations influenced the quality of reporting of randomized controlled trials (RCTs) in the field of psychiatry, we evaluated the quality of clinical trial reports before and after the introduction of CONSORT statement...
- Towards a genuinely medical model for psychiatric nosologyRandolph M Nesse
Department of Psychiatry, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
BMC Med 10:5. 2012..Dissatisfaction with psychiatric nosology may best be alleviated, not by new diagnostic criteria and categories, but by more realistic acknowledgment of the untidy landscape of mental and other medical disorders...
- Measuring shared decision making processes in psychiatry: skills versus patient satisfactionAnne Goossensen
Erasmus University Medical Center, Department of Health Policy and Management, 3000 DR Rotterdam 010 4088712, The Netherlands
Patient Educ Couns 67:50-6. 2007To measure to what extent clinicians in a psychiatry department involve patients in decision making about treatment choice and to compare these data with patients' satisfaction rates about clinician communication behaviours.
- The challenges and promise of neuroimaging in psychiatryDavid E J Linden
MRC Centre for Neuropsychiatric Genetics and Genomics, Department of Psychological Medicine and Neurology, Cardiff University, Cardiff, UK
Neuron 73:8-22. 2012..These approaches may ultimately reveal mechanisms through which genes contribute to psychiatric symptoms and how pharmacological and psychological interventions exert their effects...
- National trends in psychotropic medication polypharmacy in office-based psychiatryRamin Mojtabai
Department of Mental Health, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, 624 N Broadway, Room 797, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Arch Gen Psychiatry 67:26-36. 2010..Psychotropic medication polypharmacy is common in psychiatric outpatient settings and, in some patient groups, may have increased in recent years...
- Stress, burnout, coping and stress management in psychiatrists: findings from a systematic reviewAnne Fothergill
School of Care Sciences, University of Glamorgan, Pontypridd, Wales, UK
Int J Soc Psychiatry 50:54-65. 2004..Research into stress among psychiatrists has attempted to identify stressors, which can lead to physical illness and psychological distress...
- Attitudes toward schizophrenia in the general population, psychiatric staff, physicians, and psychiatrists: a web-based survey in JapanHiroaki Hori
Department of Mental Disorder Research, National Institute of Neuroscience, National Center of Neurology and Psychiatry, Tokyo, Japan
Psychiatry Res 186:183-9. 2011..Psychiatrists had the least negative attitudes toward schizophrenia, which was followed by the psychiatric staff, and attitudes of the general population and of physicians were equally stigmatizing...
- Are computational models of any use to psychiatry?Quentin J M Huys
Wellcome Trust Centre for Neuroimaging, Gatsby Computational Neuroscience Unit and Medical School, UCL, United Kingdom
Neural Netw 24:544-51. 2011..of key hypotheses and theories are becoming more common in neuroscience and are beginning to be applied to psychiatry. In this article two fictional characters, Dr. Strong and Mr...
- Drug side effect extraction from clinical narratives of psychiatry and psychology patientsSunghwan Sohn
Division of Biomedical Statistics and Informatics, Department of Health Sciences Research, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
J Am Med Inform Assoc 18:i144-9. 2011..To extract physician-asserted drug side effects from electronic medical record clinical narratives...
- Attitudes and views on psychiatry: a comparison between Spanish and U.S. medical studentsGuillem Pailhez
Department of Mental Health, Centres Assistencials Dr Emili Mira i López, Av Prat de la Riba, 171, Santa Coloma de Gramenet, 08921 Barcelona, Spain
Acad Psychiatry 29:82-91. 2005In order to gain a broader view about the process of recruitment, we decided to compare and analyze the differences between the attitudes and views of Spanish and U.S. medical students towards psychiatry.
- Career choices for psychiatry: national surveys of graduates of 1974-2000 from UK medical schoolsMichael J Goldacre
UK Medical Careers Research Group, Department of Public Health, University of Oxford, Headington, Oxford OX3 7LF, UK
Br J Psychiatry 186:158-64. 2005Concerns continue about recruitment levels of junior doctors into psychiatry in the UK.
- Reasons why some UK medical graduates who initially choose psychiatry do not pursue it as a long-term careerTrevor W Lambert
UK Medical Careers Research Group, Department of Public Health, Oxford University
Psychol Med 36:679-84. 2006Some doctors who initially choose psychiatry do not pursue it as a long-term career. The study seeks to identify reasons for leaving psychiatry.
- Publication bias, with a focus on psychiatry: causes and solutionsErick H Turner
Behavioral Health and Neurosciences Division, Portland Veterans Affairs Medical Center, P3MHDC, 3710 SW US Veterans Hospital Rd, Portland, OR 97239, USA
CNS Drugs 27:457-68. 2013..Publication bias is pervasive; although psychiatry/psychology may be the most seriously afflicted field, it occurs throughout medicine and science...
- Application of functional near-infrared spectroscopy in psychiatryAnn Christine Ehlis
Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, University of Tuebingen, Calwerstr 14, 72076 Tuebingen, Germany Graduate School LEAD, Tuebingen, Germany
Neuroimage 85:478-88. 2014..This review article provides a comprehensive overview of state of the art fNIRS research in psychiatry covering a wide range of applications, including studies on the phenomenological characterization of psychiatric ..
- Factors affecting medical student career choice of psychiatry from 1999 to 2001Frederick S Sierles
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Finch University of Health Sciences, The Chicago Medical School, North Chicago IL, USA
Acad Psychiatry 27:260-8. 2003The proportion of students matching into psychiatry (PMP) at each medical school results from a complex interplay between extrinsic (e.g., national trends, geographic region) and intrinsic factors (e.g...
- Baseline use of concomitant psychotropic medications to treat schizophrenia in the CATIE trialMiranda H Chakos
Department of Psychiatry, State University of New York Downstate Medical Center, Brooklyn, 11572, USA
Psychiatr Serv 57:1094-101. 2006..This study examined the prevalence and correlates of concomitant psychotropic medications and use of anticholinergic drugs to treat schizophrenia...
- A brief historicity of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders: issues and implications for the future of psychiatric canon and practiceShadia Kawa
Basic Biobehavioral and Psychological Sciences Branch, Behavioral Research Program, Division of Cancer Control and Population Sciences, National Cancer Institute, 6130 Executive Blvd, EPN 4066, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Philos Ethics Humanit Med 7:2. 2012..Given the power that the DSM has exerted both within psychiatry and society at large, this essay seeks to analyze variations in content and context of various editions of the ..
- The borders of mental disorder in psychiatry and the DSM: past, present, and futureJoseph M Pierre
Veterans Affairs Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System and David Geffen School of Medicine, University of California at Los Angeles, CA, USA
J Psychiatr Pract 16:375-86. 2010..Diagnosis and thresholds of pathology are ultimately value-based so that careful analysis and perhaps even different definitions of disorder may be required to guide decision-making in research, clinical work, and public policy...
- The emerging role of neuroimaging in psychiatry: characterizing treatment-relevant endophenotypesMary L Phillips
Am J Psychiatry 164:697-9. 2007
- What is the role of consultation-liaison psychiatry in the management of depression in primary care? A systematic review and meta-analysisJohn Cape
Camden and Islington NHS Foundation Trust, London and Research Department of Clinical, Educational and Health Psychology, University College London, London, UK
Gen Hosp Psychiatry 32:246-54. 2010..To assess the effectiveness of consultation-liaison services, involving mental health professionals working to advise and support primary care professionals in the management of depression...
- Human resources for mental health care: current situation and strategies for actionRitsuko Kakuma
Centre for International Mental Health, Melbourne School of Population Health, University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Vic, Australia
Lancet 378:1654-63. 2011..We also discuss scale-up costs, human resources management, and leadership for mental health, particularly within the context of low-income and middle-income countries...
- Clinical guidelines for psychiatrists for the use of pharmacogenetic testing for CYP450 2D6 and CYP450 2C19Jose de Leon
University of Kentucky Mental Health Research Center at Eastern State Hospital, Lexington, KY 40508, USA
Psychosomatics 47:75-85. 2006..Practical recommendations for dealing with laboratories offering CYP2D6 and CYP2C29 genotyping are provided...
- Understanding the neurobiology of emotion perception: implications for psychiatryM L Phillips
Br J Psychiatry 182:190-2. 2003
- OSCE checklists do not capture increasing levels of expertiseB Hodges
Department of Psychiatry, Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Acad Med 74:1129-34. 1999..To evaluate the effectiveness of binary content checklists in measuring increasing levels of clinical competence...
- Gene-environment interactions in psychiatry: joining forces with neuroscienceAvshalom Caspi
Medical Research Council Social, Genetic and Developmental Psychiatry Centre, Institute of Psychiatry, King s College London, P0 Box 80 De Crespigny Park, London SE5 8AF, UK
Nat Rev Neurosci 7:583-90. 2006Gene-environment interaction research in psychiatry is new, and is a natural ally of neuroscience...
- Beyond categorical diagnostics in psychiatry: Scientific and medicolegal implicationsHenrik Anckarsater
Forensic Psychiatry, University of Gothenburg, Lillhagsparken 3, 422 50 Hisings Backa, Sweden
Int J Law Psychiatry 33:59-65. 2010Conforming to a medical disease model rooted in phenomenology and natural science, psychiatry classifies mental disorders according to signs and symptoms considered to be stable and homogeneous across individuals...
- Impact of clerkship in the attitudes toward psychiatry among Portuguese medical studentsMiguel Xavier
Department of Mental Health, Cedoc, Faculdade de Ciencias Medicas, Universidade Nova de Lisboa, Portugal
BMC Med Educ 10:56. 2010..Medical students' attitude toward psychiatry has been pointed as a predictor of recruitment...
- Exploring barriers to the implementation of evidence-based practice in psychiatry to inform health policy: a focus group based studyKarin Hannes
Belgian Centre for Evidence Based Medicine, Belgian Branch of the Cochrane Collaboration, Kapucijnenvoer 33 Blok J, 3000, Leuven, Belgium
Community Ment Health J 46:423-32. 2010..Although context-specific, the problem tree can assist policy makers working in health care systems with similar characteristics in formulating objectives and developing strategies that facilitate EBP in the field of psychiatric care...
- Recruitment of U.S. medical graduates into psychiatry: reasons for optimism, sources of concernFrederick S Sierles
Finch University of Health Sciences The Chicago Medical School, USA
Acad Psychiatry 27:252-9. 2003The authors explain the importance of recruiting U.S. medical graduates into psychiatry, give reasons for optimism about future recruitment, express concerns about problems that could hinder it, and recommend ways to address these ..
- Hide and seek: the elusive rural psychiatristAnn Freeman Cook
Acad Psychiatry 31:419-22. 2007
- Jinn, psychiatry and contested notions of misfortune among east London BangladeshisSimon Dein
University College London, London, UK
Transcult Psychiatry 45:31-55. 2008..These explanations are contested by different groups in the community. The findings are examined within the context of a discourse on tradition and modernity with particular emphasis on Islam and modernity...
- Excess use of coercive measures in psychiatry among migrants compared with native DanesM Norredam
Department of Health Services Research, Institute of Public Health, University of Copenhagen, 1014Copenhagen, Denmark
Acta Psychiatr Scand 121:143-51. 2010..To investigate differences in risk of compulsory admission and other coercive measures in psychiatric emergencies among refugees and immigrants compared with that among native Danes...
- Use or underuse of therapeutic guidelines in psychiatry?Nevena Divac
Department of Pharmacology, University of Belgrade, Dr Subotića 1 III, 11000 Belgrade, Serbia
Psychiatr Danub 21:224-9. 2009..According to the recently conducted survey at the Institute of Psychiatry, Clinical Centre of Serbia, about 65% of psychiatrists stated that they adhere to the national or relevant ..
- Up close and personal: medical students prefer face-to-face teaching in psychiatryLisa Lampe
Discipline of Psychiatry, University of Sydney, NSW, Australia
Australas Psychiatry 18:354-60. 2010The aim of this paper was to determine the teaching activities most valued by medical students in the psychiatry rotation and to examine whether this varies with age, gender or stage of training.
- The interface of psychiatry and irritable bowel syndromeDavid G Folks
Department of Psychiatry, University of Nebraska Medical Center, 985575 Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE 68198, USA
Curr Psychiatry Rep 6:210-5. 2004The interface of psychiatry and irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is well established, with psychiatric comorbidity approaching 20% to 60%...
- An historical framework for psychiatric nosologyK S Kendler
Virginia Institute of Psychiatric and Behavioral Genetics, Department of Psychiatry, Medical College of Virginia Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA 23298 0126, USA
Psychol Med 39:1935-41. 2009..Like biology, psychiatry is struggling toward more soundly based bottom-up approaches using diverse illness characteristics...
- "Quality of life": a brand new concept for research and practice in psychiatryMarcelo T Berlim
Department of Psychiatry and Forensic Medicine, Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul
Rev Bras Psiquiatr 25:249-52. 2003..we conclude that QOL measures are potentially useful methods to be applied to research and clinical practice in psychiatry -- especially when used to demonstrate the impact of mental illnesses and the possible benefits of therapeutic ..
- Social capital and psychiatry: review of the literatureRob Whitley
Division of Social and Trans cultural Psychiatry, Department of Psychiatry, McGill University, Montreal, PQ, Canada H3A 1A1
Harv Rev Psychiatry 13:71-84. 2005..This relative inattention continues despite a long historical tradition in psychiatry of exploring the role that socio-environmental factors can play in the etiology and course of mental illness...
- Clinical and ethical considerations in pharmacogenetic testing: views of physicians in 3 "early adopting" departments of psychiatryJinger G Hoop
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Medicine, Medical College of Wisconsin, 8701 Watertown Plank Road, Milwaukee, WI 53226, USA
J Clin Psychiatry 71:745-53. 2010..testing for polymorphisms affecting drug response and metabolism is now clinically available, and its use in psychiatry is expected to become more widespread...
- Medical students' attitudes toward mental disorders before and after a psychiatric rotationSteven W Galka
Ball State University, Muncie, Indiana, USA
Acad Psychiatry 29:357-61. 2005This study examines medical students' attitudes about mental illness before and after a six-week psychiatry rotation.
- Changing profiles of service sectors used for mental health care in the United StatesPhilip S Wang
Department of Health Care Policy, Harvard Medical School, 180 Longwood Ave, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Am J Psychiatry 163:1187-98. 2006..Redesigning the fragmented U.S. mental health care system requires knowing how service sectors share responsibility for individuals' mental health needs...
- Prescription errors in psychiatry - a multi-centre studyJean Stubbs
St Andrew s Hospital, Northampton, UK
J Psychopharmacol 20:553-61. 2006..errors are an important cause of patient morbidity and mortality, of which there have been few reports in psychiatry, especially in the UK...
- Personalized medicine in psychiatry: problems and promisesUzoezi Ozomaro
University of Miami, Leonard M, Miller School of Medicine, Miami, FL, USA
BMC Med 11:132. 2013..The goal of achieving personalized medicine in psychiatry is a laudable one, because its attainment should be associated with a marked reduction in morbidity and ..
- Does exposure to conflict of interest policies in psychiatry residency affect antidepressant prescribing?Andrew J Epstein
Department of Veterans Affairs Center for Health Equity Research and Promotion, Philadelphia Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Philadelphia, PA, USA
Med Care 51:199-203. 2013..Academic medical institutions have instituted conflict of interest (COI) policies in response to concerns about pharmaceutical industry influence...
- Do general practitioners and psychiatrists agree about defining cure from depression? The DEsCRIBE™ surveyKoen Demyttenaere
University Psychiatric Centre, Catholic University of Leuven, Campus Gasthuisberg, B 3000 Leuven, Belgium
BMC Psychiatry 11:169. 2011..The study also aimed to analyse physicians' attitudes about depression and to find out whether they affect their prescribing practices and/or the outcome dimensions that they view as important in defining cure...
- Neurotransmitters, psychotropic drugs and microglia: clinical implications for psychiatryT A Kato
Department of Neuropsychiatry, Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Kyushu University, 3 1 1 Maidashi Higashi ku, Fukuoka 812 8582, Japan
Curr Med Chem 20:331-44. 2013..Further investigations and clinical trials should be conducted to clarify this perspective, using animal in vivo studies and imaging studies with human subjects...
- Cortisol and depression: three questions for psychiatryJ Herbert
Cambridge Centre for Brain Repair, Department of Clinical Neurosciences, University of Cambridge, UK
Psychol Med 43:449-69. 2013..Does this suggest new avenues for studying MDD or its clinical management?..
- The application of the International Classification of Functioning, Disability, and Health in psychiatry: possible reasons for the lack of implementationAna Sabela Álvarezz
Department of Neurology, Public Health and Disability Unit, Scientific Directorate, Neurological Institute Carlo Besta IRCCS Foundation, Milan, Italy
Am J Phys Med Rehabil 91:S69-73. 2012..the application of the International Classification of Functioning, Disability, and Health (ICF) in the field of psychiatry in the last 10 yrs since the ICF was launched...
- International surveys on the use of ICD-10 and related diagnostic systemsJuan E Mezzich
International Center for Mental Health, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York University, New York, NY 10029, USA
Psychopathology 35:72-5. 2002..It is suggested that it may be useful to widen the scope of future surveys, to additionally include policy makers, patients and families, and to conduct naturalistic studies of clinical care...
- The challenge of neuroscience: psychiatry and phenomenology todayThomas Fuchs
Psychiatric Department, University of Heidelberg, Heidelberg, Germany
Psychopathology 35:319-26. 2002..Phenomenology offers a methodically developed theory of human subjectivity that is indispensable to any attempt to understand, explore and treat psychiatric disorders...
- How biomarkers will change psychiatry: from clinical trials to practice. Part I: introductionMatthew Macaluso
MACALUSO and PRESKORN Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, University of Kansas School of Medicine Wichita, Kansas, USA
J Psychiatr Pract 18:118-21. 2012..The second part of this series will discuss research on derivatives of the inflammatory biomarker thromboxane and depression...
- Can the neuroeconomics revolution revolutionize psychiatry?Gregor Hasler
Psychiatric University Hospital, University of Berne, Bolligenstrasse 111, 3000 Berne 60, Switzerland
Neurosci Biobehav Rev 36:64-78. 2012..Game theory will provide psychiatry with computationally principled measures of cognitive dysfunction...
- Quality management in psychiatryW Kissling
Psychiatric Clinic, Technical University, Munich, Germany
Int Clin Psychopharmacol 16:S15-24. 2001Over the past 50 years, treatment possibilities in psychiatry have drastically improved, but the results we actually achieve under everyday treatment conditions fall far short of what could be accomplished...
- Translating findings from basic fear research to clinical psychiatry in Puerto RicoGregory J Quirk
Department of Psychiatry, School of Medicine, University of Puerto Rico, San Juan
P R Health Sci J 26:321-8. 2007..of classical fear conditioning from both rodent and human studies are beginning to be translated to the psychiatry clinic...
- Computer-assisted phenotype characterization for genetic research in psychiatryHeiner Fangerau
Department of Psychiatry, University of Bonn, Bonn, Germany
Hum Hered 58:122-30. 2004....
- Diagnostic ambivalence: psychiatric workarounds and the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental DisordersOwen Whooley
Department of Sociology, New York University, New York, NY 10012, USA
Sociol Health Illn 32:452-69. 2010..This research explores the tensions surrounding standardisation in psychiatry. Drawing on in-depth interviews with psychiatrists, I explore the 'sociological ambivalence' psychiatrists feel ..
- Specialty choice in UK junior doctors: is psychiatry the least popular specialty for UK and international medical graduates?Seena Fazel
University of Oxford, Department of Psychiatry, Warneford Hospital, Oxford OX3 7JX, UK
BMC Med Educ 9:77. 2009..We aimed to determine what specialties were the most popular and desirable among candidates for training posts, and whether this differed by country of undergraduate training...
- Acute inpatient psychiatry in England: an old problem and a new priorityPaul Lelliott
Royal College of Psychiatrists Research and Training Unit, 4th Floor, Standon House, 21 Mansell Street, London EI 8AA, United Kingdom
Epidemiol Psichiatr Soc 15:91-4. 2006..It is suggested that there might be a need for joint action which might take the form either of international research about acute inpatient care or the development of international standards and a common quality improvement system...
- Medical students' attitudes toward psychiatry and mental disordersTheodore B Feldmann
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, University of Louisville, KY, USA
Acad Psychiatry 29:354-6. 2005
- The six most essential questions in psychiatric diagnosis: a pluralogue part 3: issues of utility and alternative approaches in psychiatric diagnosisJames Phillips
Department of Psychiatry, Yale School of Medicine, 300 George St, Suite 901, New Haven, CT 06511, USA
Philos Ethics Humanit Med 7:9. 2012..As in Parts 1 & 2 of this article, the general introduction, as well as the introductions and conclusions for the specific questions, are written by James Phillips, and the responses to commentaries are written by Allen Frances...
- Disruptive insights in psychiatry: transforming a clinical disciplineThomas R Insel
National Institute of Mental Health, 6001 Executive Blvd, Room 8235, MSC 9669, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 9669, USA
J Clin Invest 119:700-5. 2009..Current medications are not sufficient for most patients. A new and deep understanding of the pathophysiology of these disabling disorders is our best hope for a new generation of treatments that will help patients to recover...
- Genetics in psychiatry: are the promises met?Brigitta Bondy
Psychiatric Clinic of University Munich, Section Psychiatric Genetics and Neurochemistry, Munich, Germany
World J Biol Psychiatry 12:81-8. 2011..This review briefly outlines the pros and cons of genetic approaches, important advances and possible future directions for readers not familiar with genetic studies...
- Psychiatry and politics in Pelotas, Brazil: the equivocal quality of conduct disorder and related diagnosesDominique P Behague
London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine
Med Anthropol Q 23:455-82. 2009..and youth such as conduct disorder is often attributed to the globalization of a highly biomedical form of psychiatry. In Brazil, a small group of therapists are resisting biomedicalization by keeping psychodynamic traditions ..
- Inconsistencies between reported test statistics and p-values in two psychiatry journalsDavid Berle
Nepean Anxiety Disorders Clinic, Sydney West Area Health Service, Penrith, NSW, Australia
Int J Methods Psychiatr Res 16:202-7. 2007..We sought to replicate that survey in the psychiatry literature...
- Tackling the global mental health challenge: a psychosomatic medicine/consultation-liaison psychiatry perspectiveAmy M Bauer
Department of Psychiatry, Cambridge Health Alliance, 1493 Cambridge St, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA
Psychosomatics 51:185-93. 2010Consultation-liaison (C-L) psychiatry, informed by principles of psychosomatic medicine, is well-positioned to address the global impact of mental disorders through primary care C-L models.
- A qualitative study of referral to community mental health teams in the UK: exploring the rhetoric and the realityCarolyn Chew-Graham
School of Community Based Medicine, University of Manchester, Rusholme Academic Unit, Manchester, UK
BMC Health Serv Res 7:117. 2007..The aim of this study was to explore the referral process from the perspectives of both the referrers and the CMHTs...
- The future of psychiatry as clinical neuroscienceCharles F Reynolds
University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Acad Med 84:446-50. 2009b>Psychiatry includes the assessment, treatment, and prevention of complex brain disorders, such as depression, bipolar disorder, anxiety disorders, schizophrenia, developmental disorders (e.g., autism), and neurodegenerative disorders (e.g...
- Migration and schizophrenia: the challenges for European psychiatry and implications for the futureGerard Hutchinson
Psychiatry Unit, Faculty of Medical Sciences, University of West Indies, Trinidad, Trinidad and Tobago
Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol 39:350-7. 2004..This has impacted on psychiatry significantly with regard to the aetiology, diagnosis, and treatment of schizophrenia.
- How prepared are psychiatry residents for treating nicotine dependence?Judith J Prochaska
Department of Psychiatry, University of California San Francisco School of Medicine, San Francisco, CA 94143 0984, USA
Acad Psychiatry 29:256-61. 2005..The authors examined the extent to which psychiatry residents are prepared to treat nicotine dependence in clinical practice.
- Implementing clinical guidelines in psychiatry: a qualitative study of perceived facilitators and barriersTord Forsner
Department of Public Health Sciences, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm SE 171 76, Sweden
BMC Psychiatry 10:8. 2010..The aim of this study was to determine perceived facilitators and barriers to guideline implementation and clinical compliance to guidelines for depression in psychiatric care...
- Psychiatry and the need for mental health care in Australia: findings from the National Survey of Mental Health and WellbeingGraham Meadows
Department of Psychiatry, University of Melbourne, Belle Street Academic Centre for Community Mental Health, Coburg, Australia
Aust N Z J Psychiatry 36:210-6. 2002....
- Attitudes toward psychiatry as a prospective career among students entering medical schoolD Feifel
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Diego 92103 8620, USA
Am J Psychiatry 156:1397-402. 1999The number of U.S. medical graduates choosing careers in psychiatry is in decline...
- AmpliChip CYP450 test: personalized medicine has arrived in psychiatryJose de Leon
University of Kentucky, Mental Health Research Center at Eastern State Hospital, 627 West Fourth St, Lexington, KY 40508, USA
Expert Rev Mol Diagn 6:277-86. 2006..In this review, the major obstacles to the wide implementation of pharmacogenetic testing in the clinical environment are summarized...
- Treatment process and outcomes for managed care patients receiving new antidepressant prescriptions from psychiatrists and primary care physiciansG E Simon
Center for Health Studies, Group Health Cooperative, 1730 Minor Ave, Suite 1600, Seattle, WA 98101 1448, USA
Arch Gen Psychiatry 58:395-401. 2001..This study compares baseline characteristics, process of care, and outcomes for managed care patients who received new antidepressant prescriptions from psychiatrists and primary care physicians...
- The attitudes of 'tomorrow's doctors' towards mental illness and psychiatry: changes during the final undergraduate yearH Baxter
Nottingham Healthcare NHS Trust, Nottingham, UK
Med Educ 35:381-3. 2001..and problem based learning, in producing enduring change in final-year medical students' attitudes towards psychiatry and mental illness...
- Improving the psychiatric knowledge, skills, and attitudes of primary care physicians, 1950-2000: a reviewB Hodges
Department of Psychiatry, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Am J Psychiatry 158:1579-86. 2001..The authors reviewed the literature on mental health education for primary care physicians and made recommendations for the design of educational programs and research...
- Relevance of neuropeptide Y (NPY) in psychiatryKatherine Eaton
Department of Psychiatry, University of Cincinnati Medical Center, Cincinnati, OH 45267, USA
Curr Top Med Chem 7:1645-59. 2007..Reports on cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) NPY in subjects with depression indicate a dysregulation of central NPY in this disorder, however, other conditions still need to be investigated...
- A review of the modulation of the startle reflex by affective states and its application in psychiatryChristian Grillon
National Institute of Mental Health, DHHS, Mood and Anxiety Disorders Program, 15K North Drive, Bldg 15k, MSC 2670, Bethesda, MD 20895, USA
Clin Neurophysiol 114:1557-79. 2003..To provide an overview of startle reflex methodologies applied to the examination of emotional and motivational states in humans and to review the findings in different forms of psychopathology...
- The effect of a clinical posting in psychiatry on the attitudes of medical students towards psychiatry and mental illness in a Malaysian medical schoolJ P Reddy
Department of Psychiatry, Faculty of Medicine, Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia, Jalan Yaacob Latiff, Bandar Tun Razak, Cheras, 56000 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Ann Acad Med Singapore 34:505-10. 2005..The aim of this research project is to study the impact of a clinical posting in psychiatry on the attitudes of medical students to mental illness and to psychiatry...
- Feelings of professional fulfilment and exhaustion in mental health personnel: the importance of organisational and individual factorsS Thomsen
National Institute for Psychosocial Factors and Health, Stockholm, Sweden
Psychother Psychosom 68:157-64. 1999..This study looks more systematically at the contribution of organisational and individual factors to work-related exhaustion and to professional fulfillment, an expanded version of job satisfaction...
- Quality indicators for primary care mental health servicesT Shield
National Primary Care Research and Development Centre, University of Manchester, UK
Qual Saf Health Care 12:100-6. 2003..To identify a generic set of face valid quality indicators for primary care mental health services which reflect a multi-stakeholder perspective and can be used for facilitating quality improvement...
- Values and assumptions in the development of DSM-III and DSM-III-R: an insider's perspective and a belated response to Sadler, Hulgus, and Agich's "On values in recent American psychiatric classification"R L Spitzer
Biometrics Research Department at the New York State Psychiatric Institute, New York 10032, USA
J Nerv Ment Dis 189:351-9. 2001..Furthermore, we will demonstrate that it is not true that DSM-III places greater emphasis on reliability over validity and is covertly committed to a biological approach to explaining psychiatric disturbance...
- Attitudes of pakistani medical students towards psychiatry as a prospective career: a surveyEhsan Ullah Syed
Department of Psychiatry, Aga Khan University, Karachi, Pakistan
Acad Psychiatry 32:160-4. 2008..Medical specialty choice surveys of medical students have approached this issue from various angles. The authors' objective is to explore the attitudes of Pakistani medical students toward psychiatry as their future career.
- Transforming a clinical clerkship with team learningRuth E Levine
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, The University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, Texas 77755 0193, USA
Teach Learn Med 16:270-5. 2004..educational method combining interactive small group learning with expert-based content delivery, was introduced into our psychiatry clerkship in 2002. The main goal was to increase classroom engagement and improve educational outcomes.
- DSM-III and the revolution in the classification of mental illnessRick Mayes
University of Richmond, Department of Political Science, USA
J Hist Behav Sci 41:249-67. 2005..This article endeavors to explain the origins of DSM-III, the political struggles that generated it, and its long-term consequences for clinical diagnosis and treatment of mental disorders in the United States...
- Burnout among psychiatrists in Milan: a multicenter surveyCinzia Bressi
Department of Psychiatry, Universita degli Studi di Milano, Milan, Italy
Psychiatr Serv 60:985-8. 2009..This study evaluated the prevalence of job burnout and estimated psychiatric morbidity and job satisfaction among psychiatrists in Milan. Also investigated were the contributions of personal and environmental factors to burnout...
- What British psychiatrists read: questionnaire survey of journal usage among cliniciansTeresa Jones
Health Economics Research Group, Brunel University, Uxbridge, Middlesex UB8 3PH, UK
Br J Psychiatry 185:251-7. 2004..The role of journals in disseminating research to clinicians is increasingly debated. Current measures of esteem for journals (e.g. impact factors) may not indicate clinical penetration...
- Case registers in psychiatry: do they still have a role for research and service monitoring?André I Wierdsma
Erasmus MC, University of Rotterdam, Department of Psychiatry, The Netherlands
Curr Opin Psychiatry 21:379-84. 2008..To follow up on reviews of case register research. Literature searches over a 2-year period were conducted to determine whether psychiatric case registers still have a role for research and service monitoring...
- Familiarity breeds respect: attitudes of medical students towards psychiatry following a clinical attachmentLisa Lampe
Discipline of Psychiatry, University of Sydney, NSW, Australia
Australas Psychiatry 18:348-53. 2010The aim of this paper was to examine the influence of a clinical attachment in psychiatry on medical students' attitudes to psychiatry as a specialty and potential career.
- Shared decision making in psychiatryJ Hamann
Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, Center for Disease Management, Technical University Munich, Germany
Acta Psychiatr Scand 107:403-9. 2003In other medical fields, 'shared decision making' (a strategy for including patients in therapeutic decision processes) has been studied for several years now. This survey presents the potential of shared decision making for psychiatry.
- Atypical antipsychotics and metabolic dysregulation: evaluating the risk/benefit equation and improving the standard of careHenry A Nasrallah
Department of Psychiatry, Neurology, and Neuroscience, University of Cincinnati Medical Center in Cincinnati, OH 45267 0559, USA
J Clin Psychopharmacol 24:S7-14. 2004..As clinicians refine practice patterns regarding the atypical antipsychotics, they may require additional knowledge and resources to fully incorporate risk/benefit considerations and optimize long-term psychiatric and medical outcomes...
- Making sense of neuroimaging in psychiatryG S Malhi
CADE Clinic, Department of Psychiatry, Royal North Shore Hospital, Sydney, Australia
Acta Psychiatr Scand 117:100-17. 2008..We anticipate that clinical use of neuroimaging modalities in psychiatry will increase dramatically in the near future and suggest that clinicians need to be aware of the potential ..
- The effect of a psychiatric attachment on students' attitudes to and intention to pursue psychiatry as a careerMonica McParland
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioural Sciences, University College London, UK
Med Educ 37:447-54. 2003This study examined determinants of students' attitudes to psychiatry and intentions to pursue psychiatry as a career, considering: (1) experiences during the clinical attachment; (2) type of curriculum (traditional or problem-based), and ..
- Not really identical: epigenetic differences in monozygotic twins and implications for twin studies in psychiatryF Nipa Haque
University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Am J Med Genet C Semin Med Genet 151:136-41. 2009Classical twin studies in the field of psychiatry generally fall into one of two categories: (1) those designed to identify environmental risk factors causing discordance in monozygotic (MZ) twins and (2) those geared towards identifying ..
- MENTAL HEALTH RESEARCH TRAININGStanley Watson; Fiscal Year: 2003..application is to provide continued support for training postdoctoral fellows in neurobiology and biological psychiatry with particular emphasis on the biology of mood disorders...
- Understanding/ Treating Neuropsychiatric Symptoms of Pediatric Physical IllnessEva Szigethy; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- Transcription factors regulating sensory gene expression and pain pathwaysEric E Turner; Fiscal Year: 2011..of the greatest unmet challenges in medicine, and these problems impact every medical specialty, from surgery to psychiatry. Veterans are especially susceptable to suffering and disability from pain syndromes because of the high ..
- Hypothalamic Orexin Role in Menopause-Associated Hot Flashes and Mood/Sleep DisruPHILIP LEE JOHNSON; Fiscal Year: 2013..was respectively promoted to Research Assistant Professor, and then to Assistant Professor in the Department of Psychiatry. During this time I published a 1st author Nature Medicine article, where the main discovery was that a ..
- Brain Activation responses in adolescents with genetic predisposition to obesitySusan Carnell; Fiscal Year: 2011..Carnell's career development. She will be Assistant Professor in Psychiatry at SLR on activation of the award, and will obtain further advice on advancement from formal mentors and via ..
- CRF-Oxytocin Interaction in the Regulation of Stress and AffectJoanna Dabrowska; Fiscal Year: 2013..Larry Young, are both senior, NIH- funded faculty members in the Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences at Emory University...
- Neurobehavioral Correlates of Familial/genetic obesity risk in adolescentsSusan Carnell; Fiscal Year: 2013..Carnell's career development. She will be Assistant Professor in Psychiatry at SLR on activation of the award, and will obtain further advice on advancement from formal mentors and via ..
- Functional Neuroimaging of Individual Differences in Affect and MotivationBRIAN JAMES MICKEY; Fiscal Year: 2013..He continued his training in psychiatry residency and fellowship at the University of Michigan, during which he was introduced to functional ..
- Expanding Vietnamese Community and Academic Infrastructure for Health ResearchBang H Nguyen; Fiscal Year: 2010..g. internal medicine, psychiatry, public health, nutritional science, environmental and occupational epidemiology, and ethnic studies) and has ..
- Neural Functioning of Feeding Centers in Obese YouthROBERT STANLEY SHERWIN; Fiscal Year: 2013..will be performed by a multidisciplinary team of investigators from Internal Medicine, Diagnostic Radiology, Psychiatry and Pediatrics, using an integrated team approach...
- Yale Drug Abuse, Addiction, and HIV Research Scholars (Yale-DAHRS)PATRICK O'CONNOR; Fiscal Year: 2013..clinical sciences of internal medicine, emergency medicine, HIV medicine, pediatrics, obstetrics and gynecology, psychiatry, and psychology;(5) Established clinical research laboratories, including the Yale-New Haven Hospital, a ..
- The Role of Astrocytes in Cortical Interneuron DevelopmentKAREN MULLER SMITH; Fiscal Year: 2013..Flora Vaccarino, with the assistance of a distinguished group of scientific advisors consisting of experts in psychiatry, neurobiology, and molecular genetics, who will provide guidance with her research design, performance of ..
- Cell stress, development, and stimulant-induced behavior: Regulation by GSK3Marjelo A Mines; Fiscal Year: 2012..her career plans to establish an independent research laboratory focused on biomedical problems in biological psychiatry. Endoplasmic reticulum (ER) stress, resulting from the accumulation of misfolded proteins, is associated with ..
- Genetic Study of PP-Fold Polypeptide-Receptor Axis on Metabolic Syndrome RiskPEI AN SHIH; Fiscal Year: 2013..statistics, and genetic epidemiology, and already function at a skilled level at the Departments of Medicine and Psychiatry at UCSD...
- Dopamine's Role in the Rapid Estradiol Enhancement of Excitatory SynapsesCAROLINE COFER SMITH HAMILTON; Fiscal Year: 2013..The Department of Psychiatry, which houses both basic and clinical research, encourages trainees to integrate cellular physiology with ..
- Dietary Supplement Creatine for Adolescent Females with SSRI-Resistant DepressionPERRY FRANKLIN RENSHAW; Fiscal Year: 2013..Finally, depression in women is linked to several major medical illnesses. Thus, a novel intervention for adolescent females with MDD has the potential to broadly impact public health, beyond the boundaries of psychiatry.
- Health Care Disparities in the Pacific Islands Pacific Regional Medical ConferencSAIED SAFABAKHSH; Fiscal Year: 2011..Kidney Disease Reaching Populations in Need: Treating Tobacco Dependence among Diverse Smokers in the Inpatient Psychiatry Setting Culture, Smoking, Readiness to Quit, and Cessation: Exploring the Role of Discrimination and Ethnic ..
- STRESS, ADRENAL STEROIDS AND THE BRAINBruce S McEwen; Fiscal Year: 2013..stress on behavior, morphology and gene expression in hippocampus and prefrontal cortex? Our work has had major impact on the field of biological psychiatry by directing attention to structural changes in the brain as a result of stress.
- Anxiety development in 5-HT1A autoreceptor knockout mice, interaction with stressRene Hen; Fiscal Year: 2010..Gene x environment epidemiology and psychiatry research studies have only recently been used and the findings of these studies have come into the limelight of ..
- Effect of Ultrafiltration on Clinical Outcomes and Health-related Quality of LifeKELLY VICTORIA LIANG; Fiscal Year: 2013..Unruh);Cardiovascular Institute (Dr. Champion and Dr. Teuteberg);Psychiatry, Psychology, Epidemiology and Biostatistics (Dr. Dew);Biostatistics (Dr...
- Predictors of sleep-dependent Memory Consolidation in Obstructive Sleep ApneaIna E Djonlagic; Fiscal Year: 2013..Robert Stickgold, an Associate Professor of Psychiatry at Harvard Medical School and Director of the Center for Sleep and Cognition at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical ..
- Multiple Mechanisms of Nasal ChemoreceptionDiego Restrepo; Fiscal Year: 2012..Aberrant intracellular calcium signaling in olfactory neurons from patients with bipolar disorder. Am. J. Psychiatry 162, 616-618. Rawson,N.E. (2000). Human olfaction. In The neurobiology of taste and smell, T.E. Finger, W.L...
- Postpartum Depression: Role of Sleep &Genetic Risk in Postpartum Mood DisordersKatherine M Sharkey; Fiscal Year: 2013..with a multidisciplinary background of sleep and circadian rhythms research and clinical training in psychiatry, internal medicine, and sleep medicine. This award provides Dr...
- Neuroendocrine Contribution to Behavior &Cognition in the Female LifespanC NEILL NEILL EPPERSON; Fiscal Year: 2013..With the full support of both the Departments of Psychiatry and Obstetrics/Gynecology at Penn, I am situated in an intellectually rich and supportive academic community ..
- Inflammation and Sub-Clinical Renal Damage in Cocaine-Dependent African AmericansELIZABETH GROOMS NESMITH; Fiscal Year: 2010..AAs who are not cocaine-dependent (controls;n = 51) will be recruited from the Department of Psychiatry outpatient clinics and the community...
- Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation in Pregnant Women with Depressive DisorderDeborah Kim; Fiscal Year: 2013..an independent investigator, educator and mentor focusing on patient-oriented research at the interface between psychiatry and obstetrics and gynecology...
- Activity-dependent phosphorylation of MeCP2DANIEL HIGGINS EBERT; Fiscal Year: 2013..be an academic physician-scientist, performing research at the interface of molecular neuroscience and clinical psychiatry. To achieve this career goal, I trained in Vanderbilts NIH- supported Medical Scientist Training Program and ..
- MOLECULAR PROPERTIES OF IONIC PERMEABILITY IN NERVEBertil Hille; Fiscal Year: 2013..The same signals are targets of many of the drugs of biological psychiatry. They need to be understood...
- Role of Neuropeptide Y in Obesity-Receptor Specific AnalogsAmbikaipakan Balasubramaniam; Fiscal Year: 2013..to the betterment of the quality of life of not only the overweight veterans, but also those with a variety of psychiatry disorders. This could enhance recall opportunities and reduce the burden on the Veterans Health Care cost...
- Etanercept: a Mechanistic Probe of Central Mu-Opioid Dysregulation in Pain StatesALAN RODNEY PROSSIN; Fiscal Year: 2013..A Clinical Lecturer of Psychiatry at the University of Michigan, the candidate is trained as an engineer, psychiatrist, and PET neuroimager with ..
- Outcomes and Predictors in Mild Cognitive ImpairmentMary Ganguli; Fiscal Year: 2012..The Awardee is a professor of psychiatry, neurology, and epidemiology with an established track record as a researcher, clinician, and educator...
- The Neurochemistry of Cognitive Therapy: Predicting Treatment Outcome with PETJeffrey M Miller; Fiscal Year: 2013..The Candidate Dr. Miller studied medicine at Yale University, and conducted residency training in psychiatry as well as post-doctoral research training at Columbia University...
- GENETIC AND ENVIRONMENTAL CONTRIBUTIONS TO THE COURSE OF ALCOHOL USE IN WOMENCarolyn E Sartor; Fiscal Year: 2013The PI is a clinical psychologist in the Department of Psychiatry at Washington University School of Medicine, an international leader in psychiatric research with well-established research programs in addictions and genetics...
- Exercise Intervention for SmokingMichael J Zvolensky; Fiscal Year: 2012..abstract_text> ..
- NIH Director's Pioneer AwardKarl Deisseroth; Fiscal Year: 2009We propose to integrate modern bioengineering techniques with psychiatry. We will launch a large-scale systematic operation, driven by modern bioengineering tools and principles, to map key neural circuit dynamics with millisecond ..
- Serotonergic Immunomodulation in Neuroinflammatory DiseaseCATHERINE ELIZABETH HAGAN; Fiscal Year: 2012..Neumaier Laboratory at Harborview Research and Training Building, Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, School of Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, WA B...
- Disruption of Extracellular Matrix-Glial Interactions in SchizophreniaSabina Berretta; Fiscal Year: 2013..Findings from our group, recently published in the Archives of General Psychiatry, point to substantial abnormalities affecting CSPGs in the amygdala and entorhinal cortex of subjects with ..
- Web-Based Program to Improve Antidepressant Medication AdherenceRebekah K Hersch; Fiscal Year: 2011..Wayne Katon, Professor of Psychiatry and Vice Chair of the Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences at the University of Washington Medical ..
- Project LOVE: Preventing Adolescent Dating Violence among Rural African AmericansDionne Smith Coker-Appiah; Fiscal Year: 2013..e., Georgetown University, Georgetown University Medical Center, Department of Psychiatry, and The Georgetown Center for Trauma and the Community) coupled with my community partners far exceed those ..
- BEHAVIOR AND PHYSIOLOGY IN AGINGHarvey Jay Cohen; Fiscal Year: 2013..immunology, neurology, neuroscience, neuroendocrinology, nutrition, oncology, physiology, pharmacology, psychiatry, and radiology);behavioral (behavioral medicine, neuropsychology, neuroeconomics, psychophysiology, clinical, ..
- Gene-Environment Interplay in the Comorbidity of PTSD and Disordered EatingKaren S Mitchell; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): I am an Assistant Professor of Psychiatry at Boston University School of Medicine (BUSM) and a Clinical Research Psychologist in the National Center for Posttraumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) at VA ..
- PA-06-555 Senior Scientist Research and Mentorship Award (K05)GEORGE EDWARD WOODY; Fiscal Year: 2012..Advisory Committee, the DSM-IV Substance Abuse Work Group, CPDD Board of Directors, and the Board of Addiction Psychiatry for the American Psychiatric Association...
- Repurposing cholinesterase inhibitors for smoking cessationREBECCA ASHARE; Fiscal Year: 2013..On July 1, 2012, I will be appointed Assistant Professor in the Department of Psychiatry at UPenn, which will allow me to begin my pursuit of an independent career in POR on cognition and smoking ..
- Placebo Effects in the Treatment of Depression: Cognitive and Neural MechanismsBret R Rutherford; Fiscal Year: 2013..Naihua Duan). The setting for these research and training activities is the Columbia University Department of Psychiatry, which is a world-renowned center of mental health research and education...
- Translational Research on Addiction to Palatable FoodNicole M Avena; Fiscal Year: 2013..I am now Assistant Research Professor at University of Florida, College of Medicine, Department of Psychiatry. My research studies up to this point have focused on using my skills in behavioral neuroscience and molecular ..
- OEF/OIF Veterans with PTSD in Mental Health Residential Treatment ProgramsEric Slade; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Phosphoproteomics of Extinction and Reconsolidation of Drug MemoriesMary M Torregrossa; Fiscal Year: 2013..In addition, there are several experts within the candidate's division in the Department of Psychiatry who can provide training in biochemical and molecular biological techniques...
- GABA-active neurosteroids in contextual fear responsesGraziano Pinna; Fiscal Year: 2011..b>Psychiatry 60, 704-713. 2006)...
- GENE EXPRESSION EXON ARRAY BIOMARKERS TO DIAGNOSE SCHIZOPHRENIATerry W Osborn; Fiscal Year: 2010..If successful, this transforming development will establish a revolutionary platform to address the myriad of other mental disorders affecting 57 million Americans for which no 'objective'clinical test yet exists. ..
- Stress, Neurodevelopment and the Emergence of Addictive Behaviors in AdolescenceHILARY PATRICIA BLUMBERG; Fiscal Year: 2013..integrate perspectives including Adolescent Medicine, Neurobiology, Neuroimaging, Neuropsychology, Pediatrics, Psychiatry, Psychology and Women's Health. Dr...
- Neural Markers of Individual Difference in Emotion Regulation in Depressed AdultsJay C Fournier; Fiscal Year: 2013..The proposed research and training activities will take place in the Department of Psychiatry at the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine. This is an ideal setting for the proposed project...
- Neuroscience of Late-Life Depression, Social Perception, and Emotional AwarenessSergio Paradiso; Fiscal Year: 2012..plan include superb mentoring in social and affective neuroscience, magnetic resonance imaging, geriatric psychiatry, and neuroanatomy...
- Neuroimaging mechanisms of overlap between alcoholism and bipolar disorderJAMES JOSEPH PRISCIANDARO; Fiscal Year: 2013..Prisciandaro is a postdoctoral fellow in the Clinical Neuroscience Division (CND) of the Department of Psychiatry at the Medical University of South Carolina (MUSC);he will join the faculty as an Assistant Professor upon ..
- Postdoc Training in Translational Research in Neural Injury and NeurodegenerationMarc A Dichter; Fiscal Year: 2010..neural injury and neurodegeneration for MDs or MD-PhDs who finish clinical training in Neurology, Neurosurgery, Psychiatry, Ophthalmology, Anesthesia, Emergency Medicine or any other clinical neuroscience specialty, and desire academic ..
- Brain Matters 3: Values at the Crossroads of Neurology, Psychiatry, and PsychologPAUL JASON FORD; Fiscal Year: 2012DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Brain Matters 3: Values at the crossroads of Neurology, Psychiatry, and Psychology October 24-25, 2012;Cleveland, Ohio Overview: This conference addresses ethical dilemmas in the treatment and ..
- Dopamine and the Role of Anterior Cingulate Cortex in Executive ProcessesBenjamin Y Hayden; Fiscal Year: 2013..My career development plan calls for a close collaboration with William Wetsel, a professor of Psychiatry at Duke who studies the effects of drugs and genetic manipulations that affect neurotransmitter levels on ..
- BDNF-Trk Signaling &Cytokines in Patients with Mood DisordersGhanshyam N Pandey; Fiscal Year: 2013..An abnormal HPA function in depression is one of the most consistent findings in biological psychiatry. HPA function, on the other hand, is also regulated by inflammatory cytokines...
- Neuromorphometry of Psychosis in Bipolar DisorderDaniel Mamah; Fiscal Year: 2013..Deanna Barch, Ph.D. (Dept. of Psychiatry, Washington University), John Csernansky, MD (Northwestern University), Joshua Shimony, MD, PhD and Abraham ..
- Heathy Bodies, Healthy Minds: Helping Adolescents with PCOSDana L Rofey; Fiscal Year: 2013..Of Medicine will be the primary site of this training, offering a combination of excellence in pediatrics, psychiatry, endocrinology, and biostatistics...
- Biomarkers of Suicide Risk in Adolescents and Young Adults: Factors that ConHilary P Blumberg; Fiscal Year: 2010..investigators with expertise that spans basic molecular neuroscience, genetic, development, child and adult psychiatry, neuropsychology and neuroimaging study...
- Pharmacoepidemiology of Atypical Antipsychotic DrugsWilliam V Bobo; Fiscal Year: 2013..My long-term goal is a career in academic psychiatry focused on research that improves the care of patients with bipolar disorder...
- Neural mechanisms underlying abnormal food reward processing in depressed womenLAURA MCGRATH HOLSEN; Fiscal Year: 2013..Facilities provided through the BWH Departments of Psychiatry and Radiology and Division of Women's Health, MGH Martinos Center for Biomedical Imaging, and Harvard ..
- ANESTHESIOLOGY RESEARCH TRAININGCharles W Emala; Fiscal Year: 2013..Behaivor;and five clinical departments/divisions: Pulmonary Medicine, Cardiology, Neurosurgery, Pediatrics and Psychiatry. Research areas include, but are not limited to, modulation of neurotransmission by excitatory amino acids;..
- Postpartum Depression: Omega-3 FA vs PlaceboMarlene Freeman; Fiscal Year: 2006unreadable] DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Dr. Freeman is an Assistant Professor of Psychiatry at the University of Arizona and Director of the Women's Mental Health Program of the Department of Psychiatry...
- MOLECULAR APPROACHES TO CHILDHOOD PSYCHIATRIC DISORDERSMatthew State; Fiscal Year: 2006This application presents a career development award proposal spanning the fields of child psychiatry, molecular cytogenetics and molecular genetics...
- HENRI ELLENBERGER--ESSAYS IN THE HISTORY PSYCHIATRYMark Micale; Fiscal Year: 1990The project that I am proposing concerns a collection of essays in the field of the history of psychiatry by Henri F. Ellenberger, the well-known Swiss medical historian...
- ENHANCING INFORMED CONSENT IN LATE-LIFE PSYCHOSISLaura Dunn; Fiscal Year: 2006..Laura Dunn's development as a geriatric psychiatry researcher, with a focus on psychiatric research ethics, specifically the empirical study of improving informed ..
- NIMH CHILD & ADOLESCENT MENTAL HEALTH FACULTY AWARDKerim Munir; Fiscal Year: 1991..Mental Health Academic Award is a key member of the academic faculty in the Division of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, Harvard Medical School, Cambridge Hospital. He is sponsored by his departmental chairman, Dr...
- ATTENTION, WORKING MEMORY AND ANTIPSYCHOTICS USING FMRISandra Kindermann; Fiscal Year: 2003..Kindermann, Ph.D., Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Diego...
- EARLY ONSET SCHIZOPHRENIAJon McClellan; Fiscal Year: 1999..director at CSTC as part of a public-academic liaison between the University of Washington's Department of Psychiatry and the State's Division of Mental Health. There are three preceptors for this award. Leonard Heston, M.D...
- LANGUAGE AND DEVELOPMENTAL DISABILITIES IN CHILDRENCarl Feinstein; Fiscal Year: 1993..MD, Medical Director of the Developmental Disabilities Program at Bradley Hospital and Associate Professor of Psychiatry at Brown University Department of Psychiatry...
- Feasibility of Dual Use Module for Major DepressionG Richard Smith; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Neuroimaging of Drug Craving in Cocaine DependenceIgor Elman; Fiscal Year: 2003..The candidate's previous training was in clinical psychiatry, clinical psychiatric research and addiction psychiatry and includes familiarity with neuroimaging technology...