Genomes and Genes
Summary: Research that involves the application of the behavioral and social sciences to the study of the actions or reactions of persons or animals in response to external or internal stimuli. (from American Heritage Dictionary, 4th ed)
Publications259 found, 100 shown here
- Conducting behavioral research on Amazon's Mechanical TurkWinter Mason
Yahoo Research, New York, USA
Behav Res Methods 44:1-23. 2012..The central purpose of this article is to demonstrate how to use this Web site for conducting behavioral research and to lower the barrier to entry for researchers who could benefit from this platform...
- Evaluating Amazon's Mechanical Turk as a tool for experimental behavioral researchMatthew J C Crump
Department of Psychology, Brooklyn College of CUNY, Brooklyn, New York, USA
PLoS ONE 8:e57410. 2013..A number of important lessons were encountered in the process of conducting these replications that should be of value to other researchers...
- Coping styles and behavioural flexibility: towards underlying mechanismsCaroline M Coppens
Department of Behavioural Physiology, University of Groningen, 9750 AA Haren, The Netherlands
Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci 365:4021-8. 2010..Accordingly, unravelling the molecular mechanisms that give rise to individual differences in the coping style will be an important topic in biobehavioural neurosciences, ecology and evolutionary biology...
- An explanatory framework for adaptive personality differencesMax Wolf
Theoretical Biology Group, Centre for Ecological and Evolutionary Studies, University of Groningen, Haren, The Netherlands
Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci 365:3959-68. 2010..Although state differences are important, we also discuss how social conventions and social signalling can give rise to adaptive personality differences in the absence of state differences...
- The construct of food involvement in behavioral research: scale development and validationRick Bell
US Army Natick Research Center, Behavioral Sciences, Kansas Street, Natick, MA 01760, USA
Appetite 40:235-44. 2003..These findings suggest that food involvement, as measured by the Food Involvement Scale, may be an important mediator to consider when undertaking research with food and food habits...
- Parasitism and the evolutionary ecology of animal personalityIain Barber
Department of Biology, University of Leicester, Leicester, UK
Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci 365:4077-88. 2010..Host-parasite systems therefore provide researchers with valuable tools to study personality variation and behavioural syndromes from a proximate and ultimate perspective...
- Risk, resources and state-dependent adaptive behavioural syndromesBarney Luttbeg
Department of Environmental Science and Policy, University of California at Davis, Davis, CA 95616, USA
Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci 365:3977-90. 2010..The exact range of ecological conditions favouring behavioural syndromes depends also on the strength of state-dependent safety...
- National Cancer Institute's Small Grants Program for behavioral research in cancer control boosts careers for new investigators and fulfills NIH research prioritiesVeronica Y Chollette
Applied Cancer Screening Research Branch, Behavioral Research Programm, Division of Cancer Control and Population Sciences, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 16:2459-63. 2007In 1998, the NIH's National Cancer Institute created the Behavioral Research Program (BRP) within the Division of Cancer Control and Population Sciences...
- The power of the situation: The impact of Milgram's obedience studies on personality and social psychologyLudy T Benjamin
Department of Psychology, Texas A and M University, College Station, 77843, USA
Am Psychol 64:12-9. 2009....
- Personality: bridging the literatures from human psychology and behavioural ecologyDaniel Nettle
Centre for Behaviour and Evolution, Institute of Neuroscience, Newcastle University, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci 365:4043-50. 2010....
- Developmental perspectives on personality: implications for ecological and evolutionary studies of individual differencesJudy A Stamps
Evolution and Ecology, University of California, Davis, CA 95616, USA
Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci 365:4029-41. 2010....
- FVB.129P2-Pde6b(+) Tyr(c-ch)/Ant, a sighted variant of the FVB/N mouse strain suitable for behavioral analysisV Errijgers
Department of Medical Genetics, University of Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium
Genes Brain Behav 6:552-7. 2007..129P2-Pde6b(+) Tyr(c-ch)/Ant mice, for which we propose the name FVBS/Ant, demonstrated a clear visual evoked potential in the presence of normal eye histology and improved performance in the Morris water maze test...
- Advances in basic behavioral research will make the most important contributions to effective dietary change programs at this timeTom Baranowski
J Am Diet Assoc 106:808-11. 2006
- Evolutionary models of metabolism, behaviour and personalityAlasdair I Houston
School of Biological Sciences, University of Bristol, Bristol, UK
Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci 365:3969-75. 2010..When foraging intensity and metabolic rate coevolve, I show that in a particular case different combinations of foraging intensity and metabolic rate can have equal fitness...
- The building-up of social relationships: behavioural types, social networks and cooperative breeding in a cichlidRoger Schürch
Department of Behavioural Ecology, Institute of Ecology and Evolution, University of Bern, Hinterkappelen, Switzerland
Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci 365:4089-98. 2010..Thus, the interactions within groups may depend not only on age, size and sex, but also on the behavioural type of the individuals involved...
- Evolutionary genomics of animal personalityKees van Oers
Netherlands Institute of Ecology NIOO KNAW, Heteren, The Netherlands
Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci 365:3991-4000. 2010....
- Reflections on the researcher-participant relationship and the ethics of dialogueDalit Yassour-Borochowitz
Department of Sociology and Human Services, Emek Yezreel College, 19300, Israel
Ethics Behav 14:175-86. 2004....
- Ethics in qualitative health researchKathleen M Oberle
Faculty of Nursing, University of Calgary, 2500 University Dr N W, Calgary AB T2N 1N4, Canada
Ann R Coll Physicians Surg Can 35:563-6. 2002..Qualitative studies present unique ethical problems that may be poorly understood by researchers and research ethics boards (REBs)...
- Trials and tribulations of navigating IRBs: anthropological and biomedical perspectives of "risk" in conducting human subjects researchElisa J Gordon
Loyola University of Chicago, USA
Anthropol Q 76:299-320. 2003
- Recruitment approaches for family studies: attitudes of index patients and their relativesSara Chandros Hull
Research Ethics Unit, Social and Behavioral Research Branch, NHGRI, NIH, USA
IRB 26:12-7. 2004
- Informed-consent issues with adolescent health behavior researchR Scott Olds
Department of Health Promotion and Education, Kent State University, Kent, OH 44242, USA
Am J Health Behav 27:S248-63. 2003..To identify the informed-consent issues when conducting adolescent health behavior research...
- When "minimal risk" research yields clinically-significant data, maybe the risks aren't so minimalHelen M Sharp
The University of Iowa, USA
Am J Bioeth 4:W32-6. 2004..Protocols that include reliable and valid clinical measures should prompt a more detailed risk assessment by the IRB, even when the tasks meet the regulatory criteria for minimal physical, psychological, or emotional risk...
- Human subjects protections, institutional review boards, and cultural anthropological researchPatricia A Marshall
Case Western University, USA
Anthropol Q 76:269-85. 2003
- Human subjects protection and cultural anthropologyStuart Plattner
National Science Foundation, USA
Anthropol Q 76:287-97. 2003
- A step toward truly protecting human subjects: reviewing the review boardsRichard R Albrecht
Grand Valley State University
Am J Bioeth 4:54-5. 2004
- Common design elements of the Girls health Enrichment Multi-site Studies (GEMS)James Rochon
Biostatistics Center, George Washington University, Rockville, Maryland, USA
Ethn Dis 13:S6-14. 2003..This report presents the basic study design, a brief overview of the interventions, the measurements taken and their rationale, and procedures both for compiling the collaborative database, and performing site-specific analyses...
- Orbiting SATURN: countering politically-charged misinformation with factsGary T Chiodo
Oregon Health and Science University, USA
Am J Bioeth 4:43-8. 2004
- Ethical dilemmas: principles and practice in research with African refugeesFarida Tilbury
School of Social Sciences and Humanities, Murdoch University, Australia
Monash Bioeth Rev 25:75-84. 2006
- Ethical and social dilemmas in community-based controlled trials in situations of poverty: a view from a South African projectNosisana Nama
Department of Psychology, University of Stellenbosch, South Africa
J Community Appl Soc Psychol 12:286-97. 2002..We suggest that our experiences may assist with the development of further research...
- Caregivers as subjects of clinical drug trials: a review of human subjects protection practices in published studies of Alzheimer's disease pharmacotherapiesJennifer Hagerty Lingler
Departments of Psychiatry and Neurology, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
IRB 28:11-8. 2006
- Adapting efficacious interventions: advancing translational research in HIV preventionJulie Solomon
Sociometrics Corporation, Los Altos, CA 94022, USA
Eval Health Prof 29:162-94. 2006..Greater collaboration between researchers and service providers to test adaptation frameworks promises to benefit both research and practice...
- Adolescents as doubly-vulnerable research subjectsLoretta M Kopelman
Brody School of Medicine
Am J Bioeth 4:50-2. 2004
- Part I: what is the requirement for data sharing?Virginia A de Wolf
IRB 27:12-6. 2005
- Coercion and the SATURN studyDavid B Resnik
Brody School of Medicine, East Carolina University, USA
Am J Bioeth 4:38-40. 2004
- International variation in ethics committee requirements: comparisons across five Westernised nationsFelicity Goodyear-Smith
Department of General Practice and Primary Health Care, The University of Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
BMC Med Ethics 3:E2. 2002..This paper reports a comparison of ethical requirements in an international cross-cultural study and discusses their implications...
- Drug-testing research in high school students: is there a will or a way?Greg Koski
Harvard Medical School, USA
Am J Bioeth 4:33-5. 2004
- Research ethics in Internet-enabled research: human subjects issues and methodological myopiaJoseph B Walther
Department of Communication, Cornell University, 336 Kennedy Hall, Ithaca, NY 14853 4203, USA
Ethics Inf Technol 4:205-16. 2002....
- Cultural and ethical issues concerning research on American Indian youthArlene Stiffman
The George Warren Brown School of Social Work, Comorbidity and Addictions Center, Washington University, USA
Ethics Behav 15:1-14. 2005..Researchers must accept the competing pressures and find ethically appropriate compromises that will not undermine research integrity...
- "Panic": the impact of Le Bon's crowd psychology on U.S. military thoughtJoseph W Bendersky
Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA, USA
J Hist Behav Sci 43:257-83. 2007..This new evidence offers an excellent case study of the direct and enduring impact of a peculiar type of social psychology on the institutional culture of the army from the classrooms at the Army War College to the battlefield itself...
- Unsupported allegations about a link between Milgram and the CIA: tortured reasoning in A Question of TortureThomas Blass
Department of Psychology, University of Maryland Baltimore County, MD, USA
J Hist Behav Sci 43:199-203. 2007
- Are the rationale and regulatory system for protecting human subjects of biomedical and behavioral research obsolete and unworkable, or ethically important but inconvenient and inadequately enforced?Gerald S Schatz
J Contemp Health Law Policy 20:1-31. 2003Many critics of U.S. regulation to protect human subjects of biomedical and behavioral research deem the system inherently unworkable and variously inadequate or unnecessary...
- Methodological challenges in designing efficacious drug abuse and HIV preventive interventions for Hispanic adolescent subgroupsHilda Pantin
Department of Psychiatry, Center for Family Studies, University of Miami, FL 33136, USA
J Urban Health 82:iii92-102. 2005..Finally, the article presents methods for designing, adapting, and evaluating "flexible" interventions for use with Hispanic adolescent subgroups...
- Debriefing and accountability in deceptive researchFranklin G Miller
Department of Bioethics, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD, USA
Kennedy Inst Ethics J 18:235-51. 2008..We also present recommendations concerning the discussion of deception in scientific articles reporting the results of research using deception...
- Reborn a virgin: adolescents' retracting of virginity pledges and sexual historiesJanet E Rosenbaum
Harvard Statistics Department, 1 Oxford ST, Cambridge, MA 02138, USA
Am J Public Health 96:1098-103. 2006..We examined retractions of virginity pledges and of sexual histories among adolescents taking part in waves 1 and 2 of the National Longitudinal Study of Adolescent Health...
- Ethics in violence against women research: the sensitive, the dangerous, and the overlookedLisa Aronson Fontes
Department of Psychology, Springfield College, 263 Alden Street, Springfield, MA 01109 USA
Ethics Behav 14:141-74. 2004..In the article, I include examples from qualitative and quantitative studies in many nations. I also offer suggestions for researchers and institutional review boards...
- Guidelines for adolescent health research. A position paper of the Society for Adolescent MedicineJohn S Santelli
J Adolesc Health 33:396-409. 2003
- Procedural misconceptions and informed consent: insights from empirical research on the clinical trials industryJill A Fisher
Consortium for Science, Policy and Outcomes, Arizona State University, USA
Kennedy Inst Ethics J 16:251-68. 2006..In the context of biomedical research, procedural misconceptions can be seen to function as root causes of therapeutic misconceptions...
- Ethical and legal standards for research in prisonsK C Kalmbach
Department of Psychology, Sam Houston State University, Huntsville, TX 77341 2296, USA
Behav Sci Law 21:671-86. 2003..As ethicolegal research standards evolve alongside advances in science and technology, an appreciation of the history of prisoner research and an awareness of current standards is critical to conducting ethical prison research...
- Ethical guidelines for the payment of research participants should be clarified: reflections from cross-national researchJohn W Toumbourou
Aust N Z J Public Health 28:584-5. 2004
- Ethical issues in psychosocial interventions research involving controlsE R Saks
University of Southern California Law School, 699 Exposition Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90089 0071, USA
Ethics Behav 12:87-101. 2002..We believe that, despite the potential difficulties, psychosocial intervention research is vital and can be accomplished in an ethical manner. Further discussion and research into these issues are warranted...
- Detainee ethics: terrorists as research subjectsJonathan D Moreno
University of Virginia
Am J Bioeth 3:W32-W33. 2003
- Ethical oversight of research in developing countriesNancy Kass
Johns Hopkins Bioethics Institute, Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
IRB 25:1-10. 2003
- Integrating qualitative and qualitative survey techniques. 1986-87Deborah C Glik
School of Public Health, University of South Carolina, Columbia, SC, USA
Int Q Community Health Educ 25:115-33. 2005....
- The forum. "Well, what we got here is a failure to communicate": revisiting and reviewing the reviewers of researchSimon Shimshon Rubin
Ethics Behav 12:371-2, 382-4. 2002
- The forum. Mistaking procedural requirements for ethical standardsRuth Macklin
Ethics Behav 12:371-2, 378-82. 2002
- The forum. The importance of context in international researchFern Brunger
Ethics Behav 12:371-2, 384-7. 2002
- Ethics review of social, behavioral, and economic research: where should we go from here?Raymond de Vries
Center for Bioethics, University of Minnesota, Suite N504 Boynton, 410 Church Street SE, Minneapolis, MN 55455, USA
Ethics Behav 14:351-68. 2004..The article concludes with recommendations for changes in the review process and with suggestions for filling the gaps in knowledge about the way IRBs work...
- Institutional review boards and social science researchDennis M Maloney
The Deem Corporation, P O Box 44069, Omaha, NE 68144, USA
Hum Res Rep 18:1-2. 2003
- Mental health research, ethics and multiculturalismMarion J Bailes
Centre for International Mental Health, School of Population Health, University of Melbourne, Australia
Monash Bioeth Rev 25:53-63. 2006..These principles inform issues of research design and consent, as well as guiding respectful engagement with the participating community and communication of the research findings...
- Task demands, task interest, and task performance: implications for human subjects research and practicing what we preachDaniel M Eveleth
Department of Business, University of Idaho, Moscow, ID 83844 3161, USA
Ethics Behav 13:153-72. 2003..In addition, the variance in performance could be explained, in part, by task interest and perceived task demands. Implications are discussed...
- Ethical issues in including suicidal individuals in clinical researchCelia B Fisher
Fordham University Center for Ethics Education, Bronx, New York, USA
IRB 24:9-14. 2002
- On boredom and experimentation in humansAmedeo D'Angiulli
Department of Educational and Counselling Psychology and Special Education, University of British Columbia, 2125 Main Mall, Vancouver, BC, Canada V6T 1Z4
Ethics Behav 12:167-76. 2002..Future directions for much needed research on these topics are also emphasized...
- The task for ethics review: should research ethics boards address an approach or a paradigm?Connie H Nelson
NCEHR Commun 12:11-22. 2004
- Behavioral health: the propaedeutic requirementJoseph V Brady
Johns Hopkins University, School of Medicine and Institutes for Behavior Resources, Baltimore, MD 21224, USA
Aviat Space Environ Med 76:B13-24. 2005....
- Informed consent: fictional case scenarios in modified "choose-your-own-ending" formatJerry Paquette
NCEHR Commun 12:29-30. 2004
- Psychological and social risks of behavioral researchSusan M Labott
Health Psychology Service, Department of Psychiatry, University of Illinois at Chicago, USA
IRB 26:11-5. 2004
- What is special about the ethical issues in online research?Dag Elgesem
Seksjon for Humanistik informatikk Department for Humanistic Informatics, HF bygget, Sydnesplass 7, N 5007 Bergen, Norway
Ethics Inf Technol 4:195-203. 2002....
- Ethnicity, culture, and sexual aggression: risk and protective factorsGordon C Nagayama Hall
Department of Psychology, University of Oregon, Eugene, OR 97403, USA
J Consult Clin Psychol 73:830-40. 2005..These findings are not a function of actual or perceived minority status. An implication is that theoretical models may need to be augmented with cultural constructs for optimal application in certain ethnic group contexts...
- Obstacles for rural American Indians seeking alcohol, drug, or mental health treatmentBonnie Duran
University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, NM87131, USA
J Consult Clin Psychol 73:819-29. 2005..Correlates of these obstacles included negative social support, instrumental social support, utility of counselors, utility of family doctors, treatment sector, treatment type, diagnosis of an anxiety disorder, and tribe...
- Effects of culturally adapted parent management training on Latino youth behavioral health outcomesCharles R Martinez
Oregon Social Learning Center, Eugene, OR 97401, USA
J Consult Clin Psychol 73:841-51. 2005..e., aggression, externalizing, likelihood of smoking and use of alcohol, marijuana, and other drugs). Differential effects of the intervention were based on youth nativity status...
- Why bother with beliefs? Examining relationships between race/ethnicity, parental beliefs about causes of child problems, and mental health service useMay Yeh
Joint Doctoral Program in Clinical Psychology, San Diego State University, San Diego, CA 92123, USA
J Consult Clin Psychol 73:800-7. 2005..c) 2005 APA, all rights reserved)...
- Socioeconomic position and health: the differential effects of education versus income on the onset versus progression of health problemsPamela Herd
Department of Sociology, University of Wisconsin Madison, 53706, USA
J Health Soc Behav 48:223-38. 2007....
- "What is legal is not necessarily ethical": the limits of law and drug-testing programsErik Luna
University of Utah, USA
Am J Bioeth 4:41-3. 2004
- Didelphid behaviorD P Kimble
Department of Psychology, University of Oregon, Eugene 97403 1227, USA
Neurosci Biobehav Rev 21:361-9. 1997There are approximately 75 species of American opossums (didelphids). Systematic behavioral research has been reported for only a small number of species, namely, Monodelphis domestica and Didelphis virginiana...
- Characterization of spatial repellent, contact irritant, and toxicant chemical actions of standard vector control compoundsNicole L Achee
Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, Department of Preventive Medicine and Biometrics, 4301 Jones Bridge Road, Bethesda, MD 20814 4799, USA
J Am Mosq Control Assoc 25:156-67. 2009..Studies similar to that presented here can be used as baseline evidence for expected vector responses and support best approaches for more detailed behavioral research.
- HIV risk differences between African-American and white men who have sex with menT G Heckman
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Medicine, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee 53226, USA
J Natl Med Assoc 91:92-100. 1999..While high HIV seroincidence has been documented among homosexual African-American men, behavioral research has rarely studied the HIV risk issues confronting these men...
- Technique for culturing Macaca mulatta peripheral blood lymphocytes for fluorescence in situ hybridization of whole chromosome paintsD M Petibone
Department of Biological Sciences, Wayne State University, Detroit, MI 48202, USA
Mutat Res 653:76-81. 2008The rhesus monkey (Macaca mulatta) has long been an important model in biomedical and behavioral research. The biomedical importance of M. mulatta is due to its 93% genetic similarity with humans and its complex social behavior...
- AIDS-related behavioral research and nursingA Skinner
Division of Medical Services, Evaluation and Research, Addiction Research and Medical Affairs, Brooklyn, New York
J Natl Med Assoc 83:585-9. 1991..Nurse investigators are well-positioned to play an important role in accumulating this information. Given the critical role of drug abuse in the HIV epidemic, the public health significance cannot be overestimated...
- The Interaction Between Gaze and Facial Expression in the Amygdala and Extended Amygdala is Modulated by AnxietyMichael P Ewbank
Medical Research Council Cognition and Brain Sciences Unit Cambridge, UK
Front Hum Neurosci 4:56. 2010..influence of anxiety on the response to signals of threat; an influence that is well established in behavioral research and recent neuroimaging studies...
- Hyperkeratotic mange caused by Sarcoptes scabiei (Acariformes: Sarcoptidae) in juvenile human-habituated mountain gorillas (Gorilla gorilla beringei)T K Graczyk
Harry W Feinstone Department of Molecular Microbiology and Immunology, Bloomberg School of Public Health, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Parasitol Res 87:1024-8. 2001To facilitate ecotourism and behavioral research, free-ranging mountain gorillas (Gorilla gorilla beringei) have been habituated to humans...
- The limits of autonomy: the Belmont Report and the history of childhoodTamar W Carroll
Department of History, Cornell University, 450 McGraw Hall, Ithaca, New York 14853, USA
J Hist Med Allied Sci 66:82-115. 2011This article examines the National Commission for the Protection of Human Subjects of Biomedical and Behavioral Research recommendations on children as research subjects in the context of the history of American childhood...
- The Simulation of Smiles (SIMS) model: Embodied simulation and the meaning of facial expressionPaula M Niedenthal
Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique CNRS and Clermont Université, 63037 Clermont Ferrand, France
Behav Brain Sci 33:417-33; discussion 433-80. 2010..The present article integrates behavioral research from social psychology with recent research in neurosciences in order to provide coherence to the extant ..
- Single units in the pigeon brain integrate reward amount and time-to-reward in an impulsive choice taskTobias Kalenscher
Department of Biopsychology, Institute of Cognitive Neuroscience, GAFO 05 618, Ruhr University Bochum, Universitatsstrasse 150, 44780 Bochum, Germany
Curr Biol 15:594-602. 2005..b>Behavioral research has shown that an animal's choice is guided by the alternative rewards' subjective values, which are a ..
- Chewing gum has large effects on salivary testosterone, estradiol, and secretory immunoglobulin A assays in women and menSari M van Anders
Department of Psychology, University of Michigan, 530 Church Street, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
Psychoneuroendocrinology 35:305-9. 2010Salivary assays are increasingly prevalent in behavioral research, and chewing gum is a widely used sialogogue...
- Dealing with the long-term social implications of researchAlan Fleischman
March of Dimes Foundation, 1275 Mamaroneck Avenue, White Plains, NY 10605, USA
Am J Bioeth 11:5-9. 2011Biomedical and behavioral research may affect strongly held social values and thereby create significant controversy over whether such research should be permitted in the first place...
- Confidence as a predictor of sexual and reproductive health outcomes for youthKari M Gloppen
Division of Adolescent and School Health, CDC, Atlanta, GA 30341, USA
J Adolesc Health 46:S42-58. 2010..To assess the association between four positive youth development (PYD) constructs of confidence and adolescent sexual and reproductive health (ASRH) outcomes...
- Establishing a patient navigator program to reduce cancer disparities in the American Indian communities of Western South Dakota: initial observations and resultsDaniel G Petereit
Department of Radiation Oncology, John T Vucurevich Regional Cancer Care Institute, Rapid City Regional Hospital, 353 Fairmont Boulevard, Rapid City, SD 57701, USA
Cancer Control 15:254-9. 2008..American Indians (AIs) in the Northern Plains region suffer disproportionately high cancer mortality rates compared with the general US population and with AIs from other regions in the United States...
- Microbicide preference among young women in CaliforniaBethany Young Holt
University of California at Berkeley, USA
J Womens Health (Larchmt) 15:281-94. 2006..on soliciting input from individuals about hypothetical products using traditional epidemiological and behavioral research methodologies...
- Human behavioral research in space: quandaries for research subjects and researchersMarc Shepanek
Deputy Chief of Medicine in Extreme Environments, NASA Headquarters, Washington, DC 20546, USA
Aviat Space Environ Med 76:B25-30. 2005..Areas of basic and clinical behavioral research are listed...
- The role of shame in posttraumatic stress disorder: a proposal for a socio-emotional model for DSM-VAshwin Budden
Department of Anthropology, University of California San Diego, 9500 Gilman Drive, La Jolla, CA 92093 0532, USA
Soc Sci Med 69:1032-9. 2009..However, current diagnostic criteria and bio-behavioral research do not account for these findings...
- Establishing trusting partnerships for successful recruitment of American Indians to clinical trialsDaniel G Petereit
Department of Radiation Oncology, John T Vucurevich Regional Cancer Care Institute, Rapid City Regional Hospital, 353 Fairmont Boulevard, Rapid City, SD 57701, USA
Cancer Control 15:260-8. 2008..This differential response to treatment, a disparity in itself, might be overcome if the molecular reasons were better understood...
- Lessons from the history of tobacco harm reduction: The National Cancer Institute's Smoking and Health Program and the "less hazardous cigarette"Mark Parascandola
National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Nicotine Tob Res 7:779-89. 2005..knowledge beneficial to public health, including a research agenda that failed to include surveillance and behavioral research, tobacco industry influence of the research agenda, and a lack of access to information about the ..
- Individual attachment style modulates human amygdala and striatum activation during social appraisalPascal Vrticka
Swiss National Center for Affective Sciences, University of Geneva, Geneva, Switzerland
PLoS ONE 3:e2868. 2008..b>Behavioral research has shown that adult attachment style reflects profound differences in sensitivity to social signals of ..
- The behavioral neurogenetics of fragile X syndrome: analyzing gene-brain-behavior relationships in child developmental psychopathologiesAllan L Reiss
Division of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry and Child Development and Behavioral Neurogenetics Research Center, Stanford University School of Medicine, CA 94305 5719, USA
Dev Psychopathol 15:927-68. 2003..The combination of molecular genetics, neuroimaging, and behavioral research have advanced our understanding of the linkages between genetic variables, neurobiological measures, IQ, ..
- Disrupted social connectedness among Dominican women with chronic filarial lymphedemaBobbie Person
National Center for Preparedness, Detection, and Control of Infectious Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 1600 Clifton Road, MS C14, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
Patient Educ Couns 68:279-86. 2007....
- Results from a multiple morbidities testing program offering rapid HIV testing bundled with hepatitis and sexually transmitted infection testingGrace L Reynolds
Health Care Administration, Center for Behavioral Research and Services, California State University, Long Beach, 1090 Atlantic Ave, Long Beach, CA 90813, USA
Public Health Rep 123:63-9. 2008..standard HIV test when bundled with hepatitis and sexually transmitted infection (STI) tests, and (2) whether clients receiving a rapid HIV test are more likely to return on time for hepatitis and STI test results...
- Behavioral science and the Nobel Prize: a historyLudy T Benjamin
Texas A and M University, College Station, TX 77843, USA
Am Psychol 58:731-41. 2003..13). No social science prizes were established among the original five categories, consequently behavioral research has received little recognition...
- Determining risk in pediatric research with no prospect of direct benefit: time for a national consensus on the interpretation of federal regulationsCelia B Fisher
Fordham University, Bronx, NY 10458, USA
Am J Bioeth 7:5-10. 2007..and those of the original National Commission for the Protection of Human Subjects of Biomedical and Behavioral Research (1977) report from which current regulations are based...
- Useful effect size interpretations for single case researchRichard I Parker
Department of Educational Psychology, Texas A and M University, College Station 77843, USA
Behav Ther 38:95-105. 2007..Rosenthal, R., Rosnow, R., & Rubin, D. (2000). Contrasts and effect sizes in behavioral research: A correlational approach. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press...
- Health promotion--science or ideology?R I Evans
Department of Psychology, University of Houston, TX 77004
Health Psychol 7:203-19. 1988..terms of the biomedical research support for a recommended health practice or in terms of the psycho-socio-behavioral research support for techniques applied or advocated in intervention programs...
- Voluntary counseling and testing for couples: a high-leverage intervention for HIV/AIDS prevention in sub-Saharan AfricaT M Painter
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for HIV, STD and TB Prevention, Division of HIV AIDS Prevention Surveillance and Epidemiology, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
Soc Sci Med 53:1397-411. 2001..sexual activity and HIV infection, couple relationships have not been given adequate attention by social/behavioral research in sub-Saharan Africa...
- Novel Reagents and Methods for Rapid and High Throughput Detection of Aflatoxin CALAN AI PING WEI; Fiscal Year: 2013..This SBIR grant application is in response to PA-11-335, from Lab to Marketplace: Tools for Biomedical and Behavioral Research. The intent of PA-11-335 is "to help move useful technologies from non-commercial laboratories into the ..
- Serotonin, Autism, and investigating cell types for CNS disorders.Joseph D Dougherty; Fiscal Year: 2010..neurogenetics disorders, he will spend the next two years learning human statistical genetics and mouse behavioral research. Training will be provided by an advisory committee of faculty whose work bridges human disease and ..
- Biomedical Computing Support of Cancer Control and SurveillanceDAVID RONEY; Fiscal Year: 2009..3. The Behavioral Research Program (BRP) initiates, supports, and evaluates a comprehensive program of behavioral research ranging ..
- ESTABLISHMENT/MAINTENANCE OF BIOMEDICAL RESEARCH COLONYThomas J Rowell; Fiscal Year: 2011DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): The biomedical and behavioral research community has long recognized the importance of chimpanzees (Pan troglodytes) as an animal model...
- Chimpanzee Biomedical Research Program Limited Competition (U42)M Babette Fontenot; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): The biomedical and behavioral research community has long recognized the importance of chimpanzees (Pan troglodytes) as an animal model...
- Take Heart: Exercise & Diet Intervention for Heart Failure in Cancer SurvivorsELIE MOUHAYAR; Fiscal Year: 2010..D. Anderson's Behavioral Research and Treatment Center...
- Anxiety Sensitivity, Menstrual Cycle Phase, and Panic-Relevant RespondingYael Nillni; Fiscal Year: 2011..to the National Institute of Mental Health's mission to reduce the burden of mental disorders through behavioral research and to the NIMH's vision to transform the prevention of mental disorders, paving the way for a cure...
- Training in Sexually Transmitted Diseases Including HIVStanley M Spinola; Fiscal Year: 2013..Thus, training future investigators in basic, clinical/epidemiologic, implementation and behavioral research that focuses on STDs and HIV-1 is important from several perspectives...
- Cigarette Smoking among Head and Neck Cancer Patients: A Prospective StudyJESSICA LYNN BURRIS; Fiscal Year: 2010DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Behavioral research with head and neck squamous cell carcinoma (HNSCC) patients is high priority. The etiology of HNSCC is linked to the health risk behaviors of tobacco and alcohol consumption...
- Tailored telehealth weight management tool to overweight adults with disabilitiesDERSHUNG YANG; Fiscal Year: 2013..This application is in response to RFA PA-11-335 (Lab to Marketplace: Tools for Biomedical and Behavioral Research), a special 2-year Phase I SBIR program to accelerate the translation of behavioral research from academic ..
- An Individually-Tailored Mammography Screening Intervention for Chinese AmericansTsu Yin Wu; Fiscal Year: 2010..from the National Cancer Institute that invites research grant applications to conduct exploratory behavioral research in cancer control and to develop effective messages related to cancer screening among minority groups...
- Interventions Targeting Inflammation for Chemotherapy-Related Cognitive ProblemsMICHELLE C JANELSINS; Fiscal Year: 2013..is a promising target to alleviate CRCI, and translational investigators well versed in clinical and behavioral research, immunology and neuroscience are needed to advance knowledge in this area. Dr...
- Oral Health Intervention for Intellectually/Developmentally Disabled PersonsKNOWLTON WILLIAM JOHNSON; Fiscal Year: 2012..The results of this study will impact the field of social and behavioral research by demonstrating whether dental case management improves the oral health and related quality of life of ..
- UCB/UCSF AIDS International Training and Research Program (AITRP)Arthur L Reingold; Fiscal Year: 2013..developing countries in methods relevant to virologic, immunologic, clinical, epidemiologic, policy and behavioral research related to AIDS, HIV transmission, interventions designed to prevent HIV transmission, and implementation ..
- BIOBEHAVIORAL RESEARCH IN PUBLIC HEALTH GENETICSKENNETH TERCYAK; Fiscal Year: 2011..amp;Society, Medicine, and Nursing, and Colleen McBride, Chief and Senior Investigator of Social &Behavioral Research in Public Health Genetics) request 1 year of protected time to accelerate the shift and deepen the research ..
- Developmental Genetics of Serotonin Neuron Subtypes in Brain Reward CircuitsSusan M Dymecki; Fiscal Year: 2010..Opportunity Network (NOT- OD-10-O32) would enable us to incorporate, for the first time, fundamental behavioral research into an existing program (parent R21 DA023643) centered on decoding the tremendous heterogeneity among ..
- Transition Readiness of Adolescent and Young Adult Survivors of Childhood CancerLisa Schwartz; Fiscal Year: 2012..These goals are consistent with PA 09-130, Exploratory Grants for Behavioral Research in Cancer Control, and the NCI's commitment to enhancing health outcomes and care transitions of AYA ..
- UAB Public Health / Biomedical Research Training ProgramPAULINE EVADNE JOLLY; Fiscal Year: 2013..development and participation of underrepresented minority students in international biomedical and behavioral research. This will contribute to the cadre of researchers engaged in tackling and reducing health disparities in ..
- MSU Clinical Center Animal Facility HVAC UpgradeJoseph R Haywood; Fiscal Year: 2011..The CCAF is the major laboratory animal facility at MSU used to support the conduct of biomedical and behavioral research. Following these upgrades the facility will support the research of over 46 faculty members...
- TRAINING PROGRAM IN DIABETES RESEARCHGeorgeanna J Klingensmith; Fiscal Year: 2011..pool of highly skilled physician scientists trained in clinical, biochemical, epidemiological, and behavioral research to carry out relevant, high quality basic and clinical translational research in pediatric type 1 and type ..
- A Robust, Automated, Flexible System for Mouse Behavioral InformaticsBARTON GARRETT SELBY; Fiscal Year: 2011..and discovering efficacious new treatments for these disorders relies critically on preclinical in vivo behavioral research. Despite tremendous advances in genetics and molecular biology, the success rate for CNS drugs in human ..
- Pass the Popcorn: Children's perceptions of 'obesogenic'culture in moviesEliana M Perrin; Fiscal Year: 2013..psychiatry, public health, pediatrics, and obesity that will be well poised to conduct basic social and behavioral research on culture, health, and wellbeing...
- Longterm Impact of Natural Disasters on Disability and Health in Older AmericansTheodore J Iwashyna; Fiscal Year: 2013..NIA &NINR recently posted PA-11-265, calling for "Social and Behavioral Research on the Elderly in Disasters" in recognition that natural disasters are common, but we know little about ..
- Paternal Care, Affiliation and Vasopressin: Mechanisms of MonogamyAlexander G Ophir; Fiscal Year: 2012..aggression, parental care, and offspring development, and prepare them for professions in biomedical and behavioral research. This work will reveal much of the neurobiology that underlies fundamental behaviors constituting mammalian ..
- Food and Eating Behaviors of Head and Neck Cancer PatientsJulie L Locher; Fiscal Year: 2013..The proposed work contributes to the mission of the National Cancer Institute, particularly in the area of Behavioral Research in Cancer Control, with its emphasis on: 1) cross-disciplinary teams of investigators with expertise from ..
- Human capital, health and longevity: explaining the health gradientTITUS JOHANNES GALAMA; Fiscal Year: 2013..Second, I want to strengthen the career transition to behavioral research, by further honing my skills in data analysis and econometric techniques by empirically testing my theories ..
- Developing an Intervention for Disclosure of Parental HIV to Children in ChinaJANE MARIE SIMONI; Fiscal Year: 2013..collaboration among experts in familial adaptation to HIV and child development as well as behavioral research in China...
- Neuromodulation of Motivated Cognition and Decision Making Across AdulthoodGREGORY R SAMANEZ LARKIN; Fiscal Year: 2012..A wealth of behavioral research on the psychology of aging reveals change over the life span in both cognition and motivation...
- Health, Wealth, and Wellbeing over the Life Course and Across GenerationsVicki A Freedman; Fiscal Year: 2013..The PSID is increasingly being used to answer innovative social and behavioral research questions in the context of an aging society, and is the only national resource that will allow study of ..
- Multimodal biophysical markers of vascular disease in hemoglobinopathiesLonnie K Zeltzer; Fiscal Year: 2013..this hypothesis, we have assembled a group of skilled investigators from multiple disciplines (pain and behavioral research, biomedical engineering, cardiology, chemistry, hematology, physiology and biophysics, pulmonology, and ..
- The Context of Caregiving and Bereavement Adjustment in Late-Stage CancerLinda E Francis; Fiscal Year: 2013..This application is a resubmission of an application in response to the FOA PAR-00-003: Small Grants for Behavioral Research in Cancer Control, and requests two years of support for a mixed-method study exploring the context of ..
- UM-IHV AITRP in NigeriaWILLIAM ALBERT BLATTNER; Fiscal Year: 2013..HTV treatment, ARV response and resistance;3) tuberculosis and HIV;4) HTV-associated malignancies;5) behavioral research;6) prevention of mother-to-child HIV transmission and pediatric HTV;and 7) laboratory research...
- Neurodevelopmental Outcomes in Infants with HLHS after Hybrid Stage I PalliationSharon L Hill; Fiscal Year: 2011..This study is aligned with the mission of the NIH in biomedical and behavioral research with neurodevelopmental outcomes, coupled with innovation of current technology with transcranial Doppler, ..
- Shaw in Jamaica MoN ProjectTASHNI ANN DUBROY; Fiscal Year: 2013..social psychology, sociology, health research, epidemiology, and other related fields;(3) to provide behavioral research training to undergraduate students from Shaw University on prostate cancer-related topics;and, (4) to ..
- Self Reported Fitness SurveyNICOLE RUTH KEITH; Fiscal Year: 2012..His research specializes in late life depression and dementia. Dr. Clark is the Director of Behavioral Research for the Center for Aging Research and his research focuses on older adult mobility and physical activity ..
- R25 IMSD Minority Biomedical Research Support Program (MBRS)BARRY RICHARD KOMISARUK; Fiscal Year: 2013..proposed IMSD Program is to increase the number of minority students who enter careers in biomedical and behavioral research in which they are under-represented...
- Vanderbilt University-CIDRZ AIDS International Training and Research ProgramSten H Vermund; Fiscal Year: 2013..We contribute research training to both institutional and individual biomedical and behavioral research capacities focused on HIV-related research in both prevention and care...
- Estimating the Demand for Medicaid Financial Long-Term Care for the ElderlyArpita Chattopadhyay; Fiscal Year: 2013..goal is to develop an interdisciplinary program linking biomedical research on aging and disability with behavioral research in economics and sociology that focuses on utilization and financing of long-term care among the elderly...
- Complete Fear Conditioning Suite for Rats and MiceMichael S Fanselow; Fiscal Year: 2010..for the researchers that cannot form collaborations with one of the few labs on campus that specialize in behavioral research. The BTC is requesting one-time equipment funding to greatly improve the fear conditioning setup which is ..
- AIDS INTERNATIONAL TRAINING AND RESEARCH PROGRAMWARREN DOUGLAS JOHNSON; Fiscal Year: 2012..associated opportunistic infections - tuberculosis and human papilloma virus infection (HPV); 5) ethics and behavioral research, with an emphasis on adolescents;and 7) pathogenesis, immunology, and virology...
- Baseline Microdata for Analysis of U.S. Demographic ChangeEVAN W ROBERTS; Fiscal Year: 2013..This database is directly relevant to the central mission of the NIH as the steward of medical and behavioral research for the nation: the new data will advance fundamental knowledge about the nature and behavior of human ..
- K12 Career DevelopmentGeorgeanna J Klingensmith; Fiscal Year: 2013..calls for an increased pool of physician scientists trained in clinical, biochemical, epidemiological, and behavioral research to carry out basic and translational research in pediatric type 1 and type 2 diabetes to bring advances in ..
- Smoking, Neurocircuitry, and Genes in Adult ADHDJEAN G GEHRICKE; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): The purpose of this K01 is for the applicant, who is trained in behavioral research, to obtain additional training in brain imaging and genetics in relation to smoking and ADHD (Attention Deficit ..
- Energy Expenditure and Metabolic Control among T1D YouthRandi Streisand; Fiscal Year: 2011..complex biobehavioral questions, this knowledge and expertise tends to reside outside of the clinical and behavioral research literature in childhood diabetes...
- Reducing Obesity & Diabetes in High Risk YouthROBIN G WHITTEMORE; Fiscal Year: 2010..intervention delivery, which is important to comparative effectiveness research, yet often challenging in behavioral research. Most importantly, because of our ongoing relationship with the schools and our experience in developing an ..
- UCLA-Drew/City of Los Angeles Area Agency on Aging Center for Community ResearchCATHERINE A contact SARKISIAN; Fiscal Year: 2010..to maintain a real-world ethnically diverse urban "community empowered tested" for deploying and testing behavioral research among lower income seniors across the largest and most ethnically diverse city in the United States...
- Sickle Cell Disease: First steps toward understanding barriers to care for adultsSOPHIE M LANZKRON; Fiscal Year: 2012..She has selected mentors in behavioral research, epidemiology and sickle cell that provide the necessary supervision to make her a successful independent ..
- Epigenetic Status of MAOA Gene as a Module of Translational Behavioral ResearchElena Shumay; Fiscal Year: 2013..abstract_text> ..
- Mentored Research on Improving Alcohol Brief Interventions in MedicalSettingsJENNIFER ELIN HETTEMA; Fiscal Year: 2013..This would allow me to translate my background of behavioral research into medical settings, where researchers who are well versed in both evidence-based counseling strategies ..
- Prospective/Retrospective Motion Correction System for Motion Robust Pediatric MRSimon K Warfield; Fiscal Year: 2010..a Phase I SBIR in response to the Program Announcement ''Lab to Marketplace: Tools for Brain and Behavioral Research''...
- Behaviors Related to Cancer Risk Among African-American College StudentsKentya Ford; Fiscal Year: 2013..Results will help guide much needed basic behavioral research in this target population, including the development of sustainable interventions to prevent the adoption ..
- Sun Exposure and Melanoma in Agricultural WorkersLeslie Dennis; Fiscal Year: 2009..and biostatistics, it is becoming clear that my career development requires more specific exposure to behavioral research methodologies and behavioral intervention techniques...
- The Role of Social and Behavioral Factors on Disaster Planning in Home CareRobyn R M Gershon; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): In response to PA-11-265, which calls for social and behavioral research on the elderly in disasters, we propose this R21 exploratory study to determine the role of behavioral and social factors on ..
- INTERNATIONAL TRAINING IN AIDS/TB PREVENTION RESEARCHVinayaka R Prasad; Fiscal Year: 2011..this end, we propose to train scientists from these countries in critical biomedical, epidemiological and behavioral research methodologies. Accessory training in blood safety and clinical research is also provided...
- A Randomized Control Trial of Tobacco Tactics for Operating EngineersSonia A Duffy; Fiscal Year: 2012..Responding to PA-09-130 Exploratory Grants for Behavioral Research in Cancer Control (R21), we are proposing a randomized control trial to pilot test the Web-based Tobacco ..
- Center of Excellence for Cancer Research, Training and Community ServiceKaram F A Soliman; Fiscal Year: 2013..The administrative;biomedical and behavioral research;research training/educational and community engagement/outreach cores will enable the COE CRTCS to ..
- Health Beliefs and Behavior: Cohort Studies in Pediatric Cancer SurvivorshipTARA OLIVE HENDERSON; Fiscal Year: 2011..Ah Advisory Committee of accomplished scientists in oncology, behavioral research and childhood cancer survivorship will oversee Dr. Henderson's career development...
- Multicultural Community Dementia Screening.James E Galvin; Fiscal Year: 2013..Clinical, epidemiological and social- behavioral research is also hampered by the lack of valid screening instruments that can be applied in community settings...
- Johns Hopkins Training Program in STI'sJonathan M Ellen; Fiscal Year: 2013..research design and methods, basic laboratory research in the virology and microbiology of STI pathogens, behavioral research, and access to both clinical populations and population- based studies in a variety of venues...
- Arkansas Center for Clinical and Translational ResearchLaura P James; Fiscal Year: 2013..strong, and which will serve well the greater Arkansas community: These are Health Services Research, Behavioral Research, and Epidemiology...
- Habitual &Neurocogonitive Processes in Adolescent Obesity PreventionKIM DANIEL REYNOLDS; Fiscal Year: 2013..of basic behavioral science research including the formation and enactment of habitual behaviors, basic behavioral research on implementation intentions, and the influence of neurocognitive processes on behavior...
- Community Partnership for Ethical ResearchELIZABETH B RIPLEY; Fiscal Year: 2010..community based participatory research strategy will result in open communication channels for this project and test a larger, enterprise wide, sustainable, model of community participation in biomedical and social/behavioral research.
- Multimedia Motivational Interviewing Training for Physical TherapistsROBIN INLANDER; Fiscal Year: 2007..In this Phase I, Small Business Innovative Research (SBIR) proposal, Behavioral Research, Incorporated, (BRI) seeks to design and develop a prototype for a computer-based, multimedia, interactive, ..
- Primate Veterinarian Training at the WaNPRCCharlotte Hotchkiss; Fiscal Year: 2009Abstract: Nonhuman primates (NHP) are critical to biomedical and behavioral research and their importance in biomedical and behavioral research is well documented...
- Analysis of Circuitry in the Accessory Olfactory Bulb SystemKen Hovis; Fiscal Year: 2009DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Behavioral research is at the heart of the NIH's mission of gaining fundamental knowledge about the nature and behavior of living systems...
- Patient Reported Outcomes of Cervical Screening in HIV+ Women in ZambiaEric Chamot; Fiscal Year: 2009..In this R21 exploratory/developmental proposal written in response to PA-06-351 for Behavioral Research in Cancer Control, we intend to carry out formative and patient-centered research (1) to assess the short-..
- Neurobiology of Nicotine: Hormones and BehaviorNANCY MELLO; Fiscal Year: 2007..by applicant): This is a revision of a new application in response to PA-00-045 Neurobiological and Behavioral Research on Nicotine and Tobacco Components...
- A flexible, web-based system for design, support, and delivery of adaptive testsROBERT WIRTH; Fiscal Year: 2009..of computerized adaptive testing (CAT) in an item response theory framework (IRT) is growing rapidly in the behavioral research community...
- Human Rights and Public Health: Eliminating Minority Health Disparities in the SFMariana Ferreira; Fiscal Year: 2010..Participants will discuss best practices in social and behavioral research, encourage and solidify local networking connections, and examine community-based participatory research ..
- BRCA1/2 Education for Mothers and Their Teen DaughtersBETH PESHKIN; Fiscal Year: 2006..Social and behavioral research conducted with this population suggests that communication of positive test results among mutation carriers ..
- Enhanced Intervention for Mammogram-Resistant WomenMary Costanza; Fiscal Year: 2004This is an exploratory behavioral research project, which focuses on the development of an effective outreach intervention for mammogram-resistant women...
- MINORITY YOUTH ACTION RESEARCH TRAINING INSTITUTEJean Schensul; Fiscal Year: 2002..on the use of "ethno-epidemiology," the integration of anthropological and survey research methods in behavioral research. In addition to these core activities, the proposed program will utilize research mentorships, mental ..