Summary: Interactions and relationships between sisters and/or brothers. The concept also applies to animal studies.
Publications198 found, 100 shown here
- The sibling experience of living with childhood chronic illness and disabilityMarcia Van Riper
School of Nursing, Carolina Center for Genome Sciences, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC, USA
Annu Rev Nurs Res 21:279-302. 2003..Furthermore, intervention studies building on the descriptive research are needed...
- Siblings' experiences of having a brother or sister with autism and mental retardation: a case study of 14 siblings from five familiesYlva Benderix
Department of Health Sciences, Section of Nursing, Lund University, Lund, Sweden
J Pediatr Nurs 22:410-8. 2007..For the siblings in these five families, a group home was a relevant alternative as a temporary or permanent placement for the child with autism and mental retardation...
- Understanding the experiences and service needs of siblings of individuals with first-episode psychosis: a phenomenological studyJacqueline Sin
Berkshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust, Bracknell, UK
Early Interv Psychiatry 6:53-9. 2012..Despite recent focus on developing family-inclusive services to meet the needs of young people with first-episode psychosis, the needs of their siblings are often overlooked...
- Sibling relationships as contexts for delinquency training in low-income familiesMichael M Criss
Department of Human Development and Family Science, Oklahoma State University, Stillwater, 74078, USA
J Fam Psychol 19:592-600. 2005..Findings also indicated that sibling relationship quality was related to antisocial behavior after controlling for MTC negativity. Implications for interventions are discussed...
- Aggressive behavior between siblings and the development of externalizing problems: evidence from a genetically sensitive studyMisaki N Natsuaki
Institute of Child Development, University of Minnesota, Minnesota, USA
Dev Psychol 45:1009-18. 2009..The findings provide converging evidence for the unique contribution of sibling aggression in understanding changes in externalizing problems during adolescence...
- Commentary: siblings in their familiesJudy Dunn
Institute of Psychiatry, King s College London, England
J Fam Psychol 19:654-7. 2005..The third is the significance of connections with relationships outside the family especially peer relationships and friendships...
- The consequences of antisocial behavior in older male siblings for younger brothers and sistersJim Snyder
Department of Psychology, Wichita State University, KS 67260, USA
J Fam Psychol 19:643-53. 2005..Variations in sibling influence were observed conditional on the gender combination of the sibling pair and on sibling age differences...
- Siblings within families: levels of analysis and patterns of influenceJennifer Jenkins
University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada
New Dir Child Adolesc Dev 2009:79-93. 2009..We conclude with insights regarding directions for future research...
- Siblings of adults with mental illness or mental retardation: current involvement and expectation of future caregivingJ S Greenberg
Waisman Center at the University of Wisconsin Madison, 53705, USA
Psychiatr Serv 50:1214-9. 1999..Involvement was defined as the current provision of instrumental and emotional support as well as the expectation of future caregiving responsibility...
- 'O sibling, where art thou?'--a review of avian sibling recognition with respect to the mammalian literatureShinichi Nakagawa
Department of Biological Sciences, University of Waikato, Private Bag 3105, Hamilton, New Zealand
Biol Rev Camb Philos Soc 79:101-19. 2004..We end by reporting exciting discoveries from recent studies of avian sibling recognition that inspire further interest in this topic...
- Longitudinal linkages between sibling relationships and adjustment from middle childhood through adolescenceJi Yeon Kim
Prevention Research Center, Department of Human Development and Family Studies, Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA 16802, USA
Dev Psychol 43:960-73. 2007....
- Sisters, brothers, and delinquency: evaluating social influence during early and middle adolescenceC Slomkowski
Brown Center for Behavioral and Preventive Medicine at the Miriam Hospital, and Department of Psychiatry and Human Behavior, Brown University School of Medicine, Providence, RI 02906, USA
Child Dev 72:271-83. 2001..The results add to a growing literature on sibling effects as well as theoretical models that emphasize the role of social interaction between siblings as a risk factor for the development of delinquent activity in adolescence...
- Why do some siblings attack each other? Comparative analysis of aggression in avian broodsAlejandro Gonzalez-Voyer
Laboratorio de Conducta, Instituto de Ecologia, Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico, Mexico D F, 04510, Mexico
Evolution 61:1946-55. 2007..Our study suggests that indirect feeding, long nestling periods, and small broods, possibly in combination with other factors, have tended to favor the evolution of aggressive broodmate competition...
- Sex-specific sibling interactions and offspring fitness in vertebrates: patterns and implications for maternal sex ratiosTobias Uller
School of Biological Sciences, University of Wollongong, NSW 2522, Australia
Biol Rev Camb Philos Soc 81:207-17. 2006....
- Longitudinal course and family correlates of sibling relationships from childhood through adolescenceJi Yeon Kim
The Pennsylvania State University, USA
Child Dev 77:1746-61. 2006..Maternal acceptance covaried positively with sibling intimacy, and father-child conflict covaried positively with sibling conflict over time; fathers' marital love was linked to sibling intimacy in a pattern suggestive of compensation...
- Sibling relationship quality and adolescent delinquency: a latent growth curve approachKirsten L Buist
Research Centre Psychosocial Development in Context, Utrecht University, Utrecht, The Netherlands
J Fam Psychol 24:400-10. 2010..Strengths, limitations and possible implications for research and intervention of adolescent delinquency are discussed...
- In the shadow of schizophrenia: a study of siblings' perceptionsDina Barak
Adler Research Center, School of Social Work, Tel Aviv University, Ramat Aviv, Israel
Isr J Psychiatry Relat Sci 42:234-41. 2005..The study assesses the impact of schizophrenia on non-schizophrenic siblings with regard to objective and subjective burden, feelings and degree of closeness with sibling, social interaction, coping and sense of meaning in life...
- Young siblings of children with cancer deserve care and a personalized approachLuisa M Massimo
Pediatric Hematology and Oncology Unit, G Gaslini Children s Research Hospital, Genova, Italy
Pediatr Blood Cancer 50:708-10. 2008..Two exemplary cases are reported to illustrate this approach...
- Attitudes and psychosocial adjustment of unaffected siblings of patients with phenylketonuriaLana T Pho
Department of Human Genetics, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, 100th Street and Fifth Avenue, Box 1497, New York, NY 10029, USA
Am J Med Genet A 126:156-60. 2004..These findings suggest a role for genetic services providers, including genetic counselors, in assisting all members of a family adjust, when the diagnosis of an inborn error of metabolism has been made...
- Adjustment of children who have a sibling with Down syndrome: perspectives of mothers, fathers and childrenM Cuskelly
School of Education, University of Queensland, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
J Intellect Disabil Res 50:917-25. 2006..These include a focus on poor adjustment, using multidiagnostic groups, inadequate matching, and a failure to consider the perspectives of children and parents together...
- Sibling relationships in early/middle childhood: links with individual adjustmentAlison Pike
Psychology Department, University of Sussex, Brighton, UK
J Fam Psychol 19:523-32. 2005..In addition, the pattern of findings suggested that positivity within the sibling relationship was more strongly linked with child adjustment than was sibling conflict...
- Characteristics of the broader phenotype in autism: a study of siblings using the children's communication checklist-2Dorothy V M Bishop
Department of Experimental Psychology, Oxford University, Oxford, United Kingdom
Am J Med Genet B Neuropsychiatr Genet 141:117-22. 2006..The CCC-2 shows promise as a quick screening device for the broad phenotype in non-autistic siblings of children with autism...
- Enhancing sibling presence in pediatric ICUJanlyn R Rozdilsky
Clinical Nurse Educator, Pediatric Intensive Care Unit, Royal University Hospital, 103 Hospital Drive, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada S7N 0W8
Crit Care Nurs Clin North Am 17:451-61, xii. 2005....
- Child, parent and family factors as predictors of adjustment for siblings of children with a disabilityR Giallo
RMIT University, Bundoora, Victoria, Australia
J Intellect Disabil Res 50:937-48. 2006..Siblings adjust to having a brother or sister with a disability in diverse ways. This study investigated a range of child, parent and family factors as predictors of sibling adjustment outcomes...
- Sibling differentiation: sibling and parent relationship trajectories in adolescenceMark E Feinberg
Prevention Research Center, The Pennsylvania State University, University Park 16802, USA
Child Dev 74:1261-74. 2003..The findings support the view that sibling differentiation may be a strategy for managing sibling conflict and rivalry...
- The relation between the absolute level of parenting and differential parental treatment with adolescent siblings' adjustmentIlse D Tamrouti-Makkink
Institute of Family and Child Care Studies, University of Nijmegen, The Netherlands
J Child Psychol Psychiatry 45:1397-406. 2004....
- Experience of siblings of children treated for cancerMargaretha Nolbris
Department of Pediatric Oncology, Queen Silvia Children s Hospital, SE 416 85 Goteborg, Sweden
Eur J Oncol Nurs 11:106-12; discussion 113-6. 2007..Everyday life varied from joy to a life filled with worries and anxiety. Siblings experienced feelings of an existential nature, such as quality of life and death...
- The impact of multiple preterm births on the familyElizabeth Bryan
International Society for Twin Studies, Quercwm, Vowchurch, Hereford, UK
BJOG 110:24-8. 2003..Addressing the cause of the epidemic of iatrogenic multiple births is likely to be the single most effective way to reduce the number of preterm infants and the long-term problems to which they are prone...
- The coping responses of the adolescent siblings of children with severe disabilitiesSannette Opperman
Centre for AAC, University of Pretoria, Pretoria 0002, South Africa
Disabil Rehabil 25:441-54. 2003..The study attempts to describe the coping responses of these adolescent siblings in their adjustment to the family stressor of having a sibling with a disability; and the adolescents' available coping resources...
- Brief report: empathy and psychological adjustment in siblings of children with cancerLarissa E Labay
Department of Pediatrics, Hackensack University Medical Center, Hackensack, New Jersey 07601, USA
J Pediatr Psychol 29:309-14. 2004..To examine relationships between empathy, illness concepts, sibling relationship variables, and psychological adjustment among siblings of children with cancer...
- The adverse effect of negative comments about weight and shape from family and siblings on women at high risk for eating disordersC Barr Taylor
Department of Psychiatry, Stanford Medical Center, 401 Quarry Rd, Stanford, California 94305 5722, USA
Pediatrics 118:731-8. 2006..Our purpose with this work was to examine the relationship between negative comments about weight, shape, and eating and social adjustment, social support, self-esteem, and perceived childhood abuse and neglect...
- Transition: a conceptual analysis in the context of siblings of children with cancerKrista Lynn Wilkins
Helen Glass Center for Nursing, Faculty of Nursing, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
J Pediatr Nurs 21:256-65. 2006..pp. 37-54). Norwalk, CT: Appleton and Lane.] is employed. The result is a definition of transition that is relevant and useful for research and clinical practice in pediatric oncology...
- Sibling self-report, parental proxies, and quality of life: the importance of multiple informants for siblings of a critically ill childB A Houtzager
Academic Medical Center, Paediatric Psychosocial Department, University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Pediatr Hematol Oncol 22:25-40. 2005..These results imply that assessment of self-reported well-being is especially relevant in siblings of a critically ill child, to obtain a realistic image of siblings' QoL. Further studies on sibling QoL are needed...
- Siblings of pediatric cancer patients: the quantitative and qualitative nature of quality of lifeWendy Packman
Pacific Graduate School of Psychology, Palo Alto, CA 94303, USA
J Psychosoc Oncol 23:87-108. 2005..These findings suggest the beneficial effects of camp as a psychological intervention and illustrate the value of integrating quantitative and qualitative methodological approaches in research...
- Birth order and fratricide: an evaluation of Sulloway's hypothesisJacques D Marleau
Centre de Recherche, Institut Philippe Pinel de Montreal, 10905 Boulevard Henri Bourassa est, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H1C 1H1
Med Sci Law 45:52-6. 2005..This result seems to confirm the Adlerian theory of dethronement. Some suggestions and hypotheses are advanced for future research to improve our understanding of this phenomenon...
- [Brothers of children with a neurological disease: difficulties and affective needs. Study of a clinical sample]U Balottin
Child Neuropsychiatry Unit, Department of Clinical and Biological Sciences, University of Insubria, Macchi Foundation Hospital, Varese, Italy
Encephale 32:60-6. 2006..The interest of this work arises in particular from our experience with families and children suffering from this kind of disability...
- The sibling center: a pilot program for siblings of children and adolescents with a serious medical conditionJoanna H Fanos
Research Institute and Department of Pediatrics, California Pacific Medical Center, San Francisco, California, USA
J Pediatr 146:831-5. 2005
- Family processes that shape the impact of interparental conflict on adolescentsJohn H Grych
Department of Psychology, Marquette University, P O Box 1881, Milwaukee, WI 53201 1881, USA
Dev Psychopathol 16:649-65. 2004..Finally, close relationships with fathers acted as a protective factor that reduced symptoms of maladjustment...
- Meeting the needs of siblings of children with cancerKatherine L Ballard
Department of Oncology and Haematology, Birmingham Children s Hospital, Birmingham, England
Pediatr Nurs 30:394-401. 2004..004) and more able (p < 0.01) to take their child to therapeutic interventions. The weekend interventions and leaflets developed as a result of this study are described...
- Longitudinal associations between sibling relationship quality, parental differential treatment, and children's adjustmentMelissa K Richmond
Department of Psychology, University of Denver, CO 80208, USA
J Fam Psychol 19:550-9. 2005..In addition, as children were less favored over their siblings over time, children's externalizing problems increased over time. Findings highlight the developmental interplay between the sibling context and children's adjustment...
- Family problem-solving with children who have mental retardationFrank J Floyd
Department of Psychology, Georgia State University, Atlanta, GA 30302 5010, USA
Am J Ment Retard 109:507-24. 2004....
- [Eating disorders--how to work with the family?]Kari Brith Thune-Larsen
Ulleval universitetssykehus, Psykiatrisk divisjon, Regional avdeling for spiseforstyrrelser, 0407 Oslo
Tidsskr Nor Laegeforen 124:2254-7. 2004..Interventions in the family are mainly rooted in systemic family therapy. Motivational methods are important, as are cognitive methods and psychoeducational methods, information and learning how to cope with eating disorders...
- The SMILES program: a group program for children with mentally ill parents or siblingsErica Pitman
Private Practice, Bathurst, NSW, Australia
Am J Orthopsychiatry 74:383-8. 2004..Self-report data from 25 children who attended 3 of these programs, in Canada and Australia, indicate that these aims were achieved. Their parents also report benefits for their children...
- Adjustment, sibling problems and coping strategies of brothers and sisters of children with autistic spectrum disorderPenelope Ross
School of Education, University of Queensland, Australia
J Intellect Dev Disabil 31:77-86. 2006..We know little about what contributes to these difficulties...
- ["Aside yet right in the middle" -- the situation of siblings of mentally ill patients]Rita Schmid
Psychiatr Prax 31:225-7. 2004
- Are sibling relationships protective? A longitudinal studyKrista Gass
Human Development and Applied Psychology, University of Toronto, Canada
J Child Psychol Psychiatry 48:167-75. 2007..Although the protective effects of familial and parental support have been studied extensively in the child psychopathology literature, few studies have explored the protective quality of positive sibling relationships...
- Impact on the family: psychosocial adjustment of siblings of children who survive serious burnsMelodee G Mancuso
Department of Rehabilitation Services, University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston, 301 University Boulevard, Galveston, TX 77555 0596, USA
J Burn Care Rehabil 24:110-8. 2003..The noninjured child may be strengthened in the process of adapting to the changes imposed on the family, but it is also possible that the sibling's growth in one dimension is at the cost of success in another dimension...
- The Greek family system when a child has diabetes mellitus type 1A Tsamparli
University of the Aegean, Rhodes, Greece
Acta Paediatr 93:1646-53. 2004..To depict the characteristic ways that families who have a child suffering from diabetes and face difficulties with metabolic control function. In addition, to reveal the ways that this functioning is related to metabolic control problems...
- Intrafamily conflict in relation to boys' adjustment at schoolE M Ingoldsby
Department of Psychology, Clinical Psychology Center, University of Pittsburgh, PA 15260, USA
Dev Psychopathol 13:35-52. 2001..Results are discussed in terms of the development of conflict across early relationships...
- Siblings relationships of children with autismL Kaminsky
Department of Psychology, University of Calgary, Alberta, Canada
J Autism Dev Disord 31:399-410. 2001....
- Siblings of individuals with first-episode psychosis: understanding their experiences and needsJacqueline Sin
Berkshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust and Thames Valley University, England, UK
J Psychosoc Nurs Ment Health Serv 46:33-40. 2008..The study also revealed that families are able to identify positive gains out of a fundamentally negative experience...
- Sibling conflict in middle childhood predicts children's adjustment in early adolescenceClare M Stocker
Department of Psychology, University of Denver, Denver, Colorado 80208, USA
J Fam Psychol 16:50-7. 2002..Children's adjustment at Time 1 did not predict sibling conflict at Time 2. Results highlight the unique significance of the earlier sibling relationship for young adolescents' psychological adjustment...
- Sibling collusion and problem behavior in early adolescence: toward a process model for family mutualityBernadette Marie Bullock
Department of Psychology, University of Oregon Child and Family Center, Eugene 97401, USA
J Abnorm Child Psychol 30:143-53. 2002..These data also indicate that attention to sibling relationship processes is relevant to family interventions designed to mitigate the development of behavior problems...
- Siblings of children with severe emotional disturbances: risks, resources, and adaptationRyan P Kilmer
Department of Psychology, University of North Carolina at Charlotte, Charlotte, NC 28223 0001, USA
Am J Orthopsychiatry 78:1-10. 2008..Additional systematic study of these children could have implications for service delivery and preventive interventions...
- Parents' and older siblings' smoking during childhood: changing influences on smoking acquisition and escalation over the course of adolescenceJonathan B Bricker
Division of Public Health Sciences, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, and Department of Psychology, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98109 1024, USA
Nicotine Tob Res 9:915-26. 2007..The results suggest that the influence of parents' smoking on smoking initiation is stable and enduring whereas it increases substantially for smoking escalation occurring over the course of adolescence...
- The relationship between children's and adolescents' perceptions of parenting style and internal and external symptomsR Yahav
University of Haifa, Faculty of Social Welfare and Health Studies, School of Social Work, Haifa, Israel
Child Care Health Dev 33:460-71. 2007....
- Sibling relationships and behavior after pediatric traumatic brain injuryErika E Swift
Department of Psychology, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio, USA
J Dev Behav Pediatr 24:24-31. 2003..The findings indicate a need to monitor the adjustment of siblings and sibling relationships after TBI and to include siblings in family interventions...
- Parent-child interactions in clinically anxious children and their siblingsJennifer L Hudson
Department of Psychology, Macquarie University, NSW, 2109 Australia
J Clin Child Adolesc Psychol 31:548-55. 2002....
- The sibling experience: growing up with a child who has pervasive developmental disorder or mental retardationPeter Schuntermann
Department of Psychiatry, Harvard Medical School, and Developmental Medicine Center, Children s Hospital Boston, MA 02115, USA
Harv Rev Psychiatry 15:93-108. 2007....
- Integrated sibling-parent group intervention to improve sibling knowledge and adjustment to chronic illness and disabilityDebra J Lobato
Department of Child and Family Psychiatry, Rhode Island Hospital, Providence, 02903, USA
J Pediatr Psychol 27:711-6. 2002..To evaluate an integrated group intervention for siblings and parents designed to increase sibling understanding of and adjustment to chronic illness and developmental disability (CI/DD)...
- Sibling stem cell donor experiences at a single institutionLori S Wiener
Pediatric Oncology Branch, Center for Cancer Research, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD, USA
Psychooncology 17:304-7. 2008..Suggestions for visual educational tools, psychosocial interventions and future research are provided...
- Children home alone unsupervised: modeling parental decisions and associated factors in Botswana, Mexico, and VietnamMónica Ruiz-Casares
Institute for Health and Social Policy, McGill University, 1130 Pine Avenue West, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Child Abuse Negl 33:312-23. 2009..This paper examines different child care arrangements utilized by working families in countries undergoing major socio-economic transitions, with a focus on modeling parental decisions to leave children home alone...
- Siblings, parents, and partners: family relationships within a longitudinal community study. ALSPAC study team. Avon Longitudinal Study of Pregnancy and ChildhoodJ Dunn
Institute of Psychiatry, Social, Genetic and Developmental Psychiatry Research Centre, London, UK
J Child Psychol Psychiatry 40:1025-37. 1999..Evidence for both direct and indirect pathways (via parent-child relations) linking mother-partner and sibling relations were found...
- [Impact of disability in siblings: life stories]Alcione Aparecida Messa
Pós Graduação em Distúrbios do Desenvolvimento, Centro de Ciencias Biologicas e da Saude, Universidade Presbiteriana Mackenzie, Sao Paulo, SP, 01302 907
Cien Saude Colet 15:529-38. 2010..Due to the meaning that sibling relations acquire during lifetime, changes in health and functioning of a sibling will affect the others...
- Social contact, social attitudes, and twin similarityS F Posner
Medical Effectiveness Research Center, University of California, San Francisco 94143 0856, USA
Behav Genet 26:123-33. 1996..However, an increased estimate of the contribution of shared environmental variance in the high-contact males could additionally suggest that contact leads to similarity...
- Familial effects on ischemic stroke: the role of sibling kinship, sex, and age of onsetKatherine Kasiman
Department of Medical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Circ Cardiovasc Genet 5:226-33. 2012..This study aimed to characterize these familial effects in a nationwide population-based study by taking into account sibling relations, sex of siblings, and age of onset, with respect to ischemic stroke incidence.
- The adult who is an only child: achieving separation or individuationB Byrd
Department of Counseling Psychology, Seton Hall University, South Orange, NJ 07079 2696
Psychol Rep 73:171-7. 1993....
- Siblings in the context of anorexia nervosaRachel Bachner-Melman
Department of Psychology, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Israel
Isr J Psychiatry Relat Sci 42:178-84. 2005..Sibling relationships may be relevant to the development of anorexia nervosa (AN), yet little research has focused on this aspect of the disorder...
- Siblings of children with special needsA M Unruh
School of Occupational Therapy, Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia
Can J Occup Ther 59:151-8. 1992..The research on siblings of special needs children is reviewed and followed by a description of the Ottawa Children's Treatment Centre sibling programme...
- Happiness, well-being, and character strengths: outcomes for families and siblings of persons with mental retardationElisabeth M Dykens
Psychology and Human Development, Vanderbilt University Kennedy Center for Research on Human Development, 230 Appleton Place, Peabody Box 40, Nashville, TN 37203 5701, USA
Ment Retard 43:360-4. 2005
- Arginine vasopressin 1a receptor gene and maternal behavior: evidence of association and moderationR Bisceglia
Department of Human Development and Applied Psychology, University of Toronto Toronto Western Research Institute, Toronto, ON, Canada
Genes Brain Behav 11:262-8. 2012..Mothers with two copies of the long RS3 alleles were less sensitive than mothers with one or zero copies of the long alleles. This association was strongest under conditions of high maternal early adversity...
- Sisters in hereditary breast and ovarian cancer families: communal coping, social integration, and psychological well-beingLaura M Koehly
Social and Behavioral Research Branch, National Human Genome Research Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD, USA
Psychooncology 17:812-21. 2008..We investigated the association between psychological distress and indices of social integration and communal coping among sisters from hereditary breast and ovarian cancer (HBOC) families...
- Effects of marital conflict on children: recent advances and emerging themes in process-oriented researchE Mark Cummings
Department of Psychology, University of Notre Dame, Indiana 46556, USA
J Child Psychol Psychiatry 43:31-63. 2002....
- Nine-year prospective association between older siblings' smoking and children's daily smokingKumar B Rajan
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Division of Public Health Science, MP 603, 1100 Fairview Avenue North, PO Box 19024, Seattle, WA 98109 1024, USA
J Adolesc Health 33:25-30. 2003..To explore the hypothesis that older siblings' smoking, after controlling for parents' smoking, influences children's smoking...
- Siblings of children with a chronic illness: a meta-analysisDonald Sharpe
Department of Psychology, University of Regina, Sasketchewan, Canada
J Pediatr Psychol 27:699-710. 2002..To review the literature pertaining to the siblings of children with a chronic illness...
- Role of kin and nonkin support in the mental health of low-income womenEllen L Bassuk
National Center on Family Homelessness, Newton, Massachusetts, USA
Am J Orthopsychiatry 72:39-49. 2002..Moreover, sibling conflict was a stronger predictor of mental health than parent conflict. Finally, only instrumental support from professionals predicted mental health...
- Sibling relationship quality and psychopathology of children and adolescents: a meta-analysisKirsten L Buist
Department of Clinical Child and Family Studies, Utrecht University, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Clin Psychol Rev 33:97-106. 2013....
- Peer network overlap in twin, sibling, and friend dyadsShirley McGuire
Department of Psychology, University of San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94117, USA
Child Dev 84:500-11. 2013..The roles of genotype-environment correlational and shared environmental processes in the sibling-peer connections are discussed...
- Identification of a mutation causing deficient BMP1/mTLD proteolytic activity in autosomal recessive osteogenesis imperfectaVictor Martinez-Glez
Centro de Investigación Biomédica en Red de Enfermedades Raras, Instituto de Salud Carlos III, Madrid, Spain
Hum Mutat 33:343-50. 2012..We conclude that BMP1 is an additional gene mutated in AR-OI...
- Social well-being of siblings living with a child with diabetes:a qualitative studyMelissa Loos
Childrens Hospital at Westmead, Locked Bag 4001, Westmead, NSW, 2145, Australia
Soc Work Health Care 43:53-69. 2006..A semi-structured interview guide was used to assist data collection. A sample of 32 participants was interviewed involving well children and their parents...
- Links between nonshared friendship experiences and adolescent siblings' differences in aspirationsTina Kretschmer
Department of Psychology, University of Sussex, Falmer, Brighton BN1 9QH, United Kingdom
J Adolesc 33:101-10. 2010....
- Reciprocal links among differential parenting, perceived partiality, and self-worth: a three-wave longitudinal studyBarbara Shebloski
Family Research Group, Department of Human and Community Development, University of California Davis, 95616, USA
J Fam Psychol 19:633-42. 2005..The results contribute new insight into the associations between perception of differential parenting and adolescents' adjustment and the role of birth order...
- Siblings of individuals with an autism spectrum disorder: sibling relationships and wellbeing in adolescence and adulthoodGael I Orsmond
Department of Occupational Therapy, Boston University, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Autism 13:59-80. 2009..For adults, more shared activities were observed when the sibling with ASD was younger in age and had fewer behavior problems; greater positive affect in sibling relationships was predicted by greater parental support...
- Association of sibling aggression with child and adolescent mental healthCorinna Jenkins Tucker
Department of Family Studies, University of New Hampshire, Durham, NH 03824, USA
Pediatrics 132:79-84. 2013..We also contrast the consequences of sibling versus peer aggression for children's and adolescents' mental health...
- More than a photo: Germans from Russia remember their familial relationshipsJessica Clark
Western Wyoming Community College, Rock Springs
J Fam Hist 36:333-49. 2011..Within the context of family relationships, these German Russian descendants forged a new identity rooted in their ethnic heritage and history, but serviceable to new, American-born generations...
- Close friends', parents', and older siblings' smoking: reevaluating their influence on children's smokingJonathan B Bricker
Cancer Prevention Research Program, Division of Public Health Sciences, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, WA 98109 1024, USA
Nicotine Tob Res 8:217-26. 2006..These results suggest that close friends', parents', and siblings' smoking were similarly important influences on children's smoking. Family-focused interventions could be a valuable future direction of prevention research...
- Preimplantation genetic diagnosis (PGD) for HLA typing: bases for setting up an open international collaboration when PGD is not availableMarina Bellavia
Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility, Department of Gynecology Obstetrics, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Vaudois, Lausanne, Switzerland
Fertil Steril 94:1129-31. 2010..We report here an open collaboration between two renowned institutions to provide a family desiring this treatment even though they resided where the preimplantation genetic diagnosis procedure is banned...
- Adolescent toothbrushing and the home environment: sociodemographic factors, family relationships and mealtime routines and disorganisationKate A Levin
Child and Adolescent Health Research Unit, University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, UK
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 38:10-8. 2010..The current study examines variables related to the family, including mealtime routines and family relationships to determine the best predictors of adolescent toothbrushing...
- Providing care for an elderly parent: interactions among siblings?Roméo Fontaine
LEDa LEGOS, Universite Paris Dauphine, Paris Cedex 16, France
Health Econ 18:1011-29. 2009..The younger child's involvement appears to increase the net benefit of caregiving for the elder one, whereas the elder child's involvement decreases the net benefit of caregiving for the younger child...
- Adolescent development in interpersonal and societal contextsJudith G Smetana
Department of Clinical and Social Sciences in Psychology, University of Rochester, Rochester, New York 14627, USA
Annu Rev Psychol 57:255-84. 2006..Future directions in research on adolescent development are discussed...
- Quality of Life in siblings of autistic patientsAdriana Regina Ferreira Marciano
Child and Adolescent Psychiatric Service SEPIA, Institute of Psychiatry, Medical School, University of São Paulo FMUSP, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Rev Bras Psiquiatr 27:67-9. 2005..To evaluate the Quality of Life (QoL) among siblings of autistic patients...
- Helping by siblings of children with mental retardationMary Elizabeth Hannah
University of Detroit Mercy, Detroit, MI 48219 0900, USA
Am J Ment Retard 110:87-99. 2005..Perceived custodial care and emotional support were associated with gender, the child's need for assistance, and self-esteem...
- Healthy women from suspected hereditary breast and ovarian cancer families: the significant others in their livesR Kenen
Department of Sociology and Anthropology, The College of New Jersey, Ewing, 08628, USA
Eur J Cancer Care (Engl) 13:169-79. 2004..The women were very concerned about their daughters and granddaughters, but were far less concerned about the impact on their sons...
- Psychoanalysis and visual art: a female painter and her dilemmaRuth Lijtmaer
Contemporary Center for Applied Psychoanalytic Studies, Fairleigh Dickinson University, New Jersey, USA
J Am Acad Psychoanal 30:475-88. 2002..However, needing to work full-time to support herself, and painting only in spare time, added to her resistances. V's frustrations, anxieties, and guilt related to her creation are explored...
- Brother, can you spare a smoke? Sibling transmission of tobacco useThomas H Brandon
Tobacco Research and Intervention Program, H Lee Moffitt Cancer Center and Research Institute, Department of Psychology, University of South Florida, Tampa 33617, USA
Addiction 100:439-40; discussion 443-4. 2005
- Family environment, glycemic control, and the psychosocial adaptation of adults with diabetesP M Trief
Department of Psychiatry, SUNY Health Science Center, Syracuse, NY 13210, USA
Diabetes Care 21:241-5. 1998..To evaluate whether the family system variables of adults with diabetes relate to the adequacy of metabolic control or the psychosocial adaptation to the illness...
- Mother-firstborn attachment and the birth of a siblingM Touris
Center for Children and Families, Loyola University, Wilmette, Ill, USA
Am J Orthopsychiatry 65:293-7. 1995..A second pregnancy and the birth of a sibling were significantly associated with instability in the mother-firstborn attachment...
- Only children and children with siblings in the People's Republic of China: levels of fear, anxiety, and depressionB Yang
Department of Psychology, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Blacksburg 24061 0436, USA
Child Dev 66:1301-11. 1995..Sociocultural factors associated with these findings are explored...
- Behavioral inhibition as a function of relationship in preschool twins and siblingsLisabeth F DiLalla
Department of Family and Community Medicine, Southern Illinois University School of Medicine, Carbondale, IL 62901, USA
Twin Res 7:449-55. 2004..Parental ratings showed exactly the opposite pattern, suggesting a rater bias effect...
- [Family dynamics and chronic illness: children with diabetes in the context of their families]S Wirlach-Bartosik
Universitätsklinik für Kinder und Jugendheilkunde, Wien, Austria
Klin Padiatr 217:253-8. 2005..Success in the treatment of diabetes patients should therefore not only be measured by the quality of glycemic control, but also by considering psychological factors and aspects of family dynamics...
- [Role of psychologic factors in dental practice with siblings]A Pécina-Hrncević
Stomatoloskog Fakulteta Sveucilista u Zagrebu
Acta Stomatol Croat 25:117-21. 1991..e. upbringing and education, was found to induce specific reactions in each of them. Therefore, care must be taken by a dental doctor-pedodontist to approach each little patient individually, fully respecting his/her personality...
- Marital Conflict, the Role of Sibling Relationships, and Child AdjustmentSonnette M Bascoe; Fiscal Year: 2011..Moreover, sibling relations can either exacerbate child difficulties, or alternatively, promote positive child adjustment (for a review ..
- SECURITY OF ATTACHMENT AND INFANT-SIBLING RELATIONSDOUGLAS TETI; Fiscal Year: 1993..2) to examine the joint impact of firstborn-mother and infant-mother attachment on the development of infant-sibling relations during the first two years of the infant's life; and 3) to assess the degree to which the quality of early ..
- Adolescent Siblings of Brothers or Sisters with AutismGael Orsmond; Fiscal Year: 2004..An overall goal of the study in this proposal is to establish a sample of siblings who, with additional funding in the future, could be followed longitudinally as they transition to adulthood. ..
- DEVELOPING FAMILY-FOCUSED PREVENTIONS: COPARENTINGMark Feinberg; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Pilot Study of Sibling Prevention ProgramMARK ETHAN FEINBERG; Fiscal Year: 2010..an innovative family-focused intervention focused on sibling relationships, as well as parent management of sibling relations. Siblings influence each other's substance use and other problem behaviors to a substantial degree...
- CHILDREN IN HISPANIC FAMILIES EXPERIENCING A TEEN BIRTHPatricia East; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Latino Siblings and MR/DDDebra Lobato; Fiscal Year: 2009..The results of this study will increase our understanding of the mental health needs of Latino children and provide information essential for developing culturally appropriate interventions. ..
- Family Transitions Following the Birth of SiblingBRENDA VOLLING; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- FAMILY-PEER LINKAGES FOR SIBLINGS AT RISKJOANN SHORTT; Fiscal Year: 2004..Determining whether siblings growing up in the same family are at risk or protected differentially from poor peer outcomes will greatly contribute to our understanding of the individuals in peer relations. ..
- Family Transitions and Children's Sibling RelationshipsBRENDA VOLLING; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- FAMILY EFFECTS ON SOCIAL OUTCOMES FOR CHILDREN WITH MRFrank Floyd; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- ADAPTATION IN FAMILIES OF CHILDREN WITH MRFrank Floyd; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- Sibling Contagion for Smoking: Social & Genetic Influences in Early AdulthoodRichard Rende; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- A Family Intervention for Adolescent Problem BehaviorELIZABETH STORMSHAK; Fiscal Year: 2009..We hypothesize that our intervention will reduce the growth of problem behavior and substance use through the enhancement of family management and parent involvement in school. ..
- Neonatal Ethanol-Induced Memory Impairments in RatsPamela Hunt; Fiscal Year: 2009..The potential for amelioration of these cognitive deficits using both behavioral and pharmacological strategies will provide important information regarding treatment approaches for afflicted individuals. ..
- CRITICAL TRANSITIONS IN RURAL FAMILIES AT RISKRand Conger; Fiscal Year: 2009..This information can be used to development more effective preventive interventions designed to reduce lifelong psychiatric problems. ..
- Genetics of EEG Patterns in ADHDSandra K Loo; Fiscal Year: 2010..We are thus able to collect EEG data at a very low cost in a well characterized sample of ADHD ASPs upon which linkage studies (and candidate gene association work) are readily available. ..
- 1/2-Preventing Eating Disorders and Reducing ComorbidityCBARR BARR TAYLOR; Fiscal Year: 2010..If so, this finding, combined with our previous research would have a major public health impact on reducing eating disorder rates. ..
- A Family Intervention to Prevent Child MaltreatmentElizabeth A Stormshak; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Economic Stress & Child Development Across 3 GenerationsTricia K Neppl; Fiscal Year: 2010..s. ..
- Nurse Case Management Intervention for ADHD FamiliesJudith Kendall; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- Sibling Influence on Smoking in Everyday SettingsRichard Rende; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- Internet Weight Control Program for Bingeing AdolescentsCraig Taylor; Fiscal Year: 2005..The proposal focuses on issues directly relevant to NIDDK priorities and the Surgeon General's call to action to prevent and decrease pediatric overweight and obesity, which is a serious public health concern. ..
- SOCIAL LEARNING AND ALCOHOL INTAKE IN ADOLESCENT RATSPamela Hunt; Fiscal Year: 2004..The end result of this work will be an increased understanding of the neurochemical and behavioral factors underlying social acquisition of ethanol preferences. ..
- INTERVENTIONS TO REDUCE EATING DISORDER RISK FACTORSC Taylor; Fiscal Year: 2004..The application focuses on issues relevant to recently described NIMH priorities in prevention. Developing and evaluating interventions to reduce eating disorders in this high-risk population is of extreme public health importance. ..
- Mediators of the Impact of Family Conflict on Child MalaJOHN GRYCH; Fiscal Year: 2005..Research on conflict schemas also has the potential to identify avenues for intervening with children exposed to marital aggression and preventing the transmission of violence to their adult relationships. ..
- Long-Term Outcomes of Childhood-Onset EpilepsyAnne Berg; Fiscal Year: 2006..This in turn could help lessen the burdens associated with childhood-and adolescent-onset epilepsy for the individual, the family, and society as a whole. ..
- Maternal Mental-State Talk and Attachment-Peer LinkagesNANCY MCELWAIN; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- LIFE COURSE IMPACTS OF NONNORMATIVE PARENTINGMARSHA SELTZER; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Children With Disabilities and Sibling HospitalizationRobert Hodapp; Fiscal Year: 2006..By examining several hundred siblings apiece per disability group, we identify correlates that might increase the risk of sibling hospitalization. This study has theoretical, intervention, and policy implications. ..
- Genetic Underpinnings of EEG Patterns in ADHDSandra Loo; Fiscal Year: 2006..Given the applicant's prior training, proposed mentorship, and outstanding resources, a K23 Award will enable her to become an independent and productive researcher in the genetics and developmental neuropsychology of ADHD. ..
- The Study of Sibling Violence Among Foster ChildrenLOURDES LINARES; Fiscal Year: 2006..The identification of modifiable risk and protective factors in the social ecology of foster care is a crucial first step in effective prevention of sibling violence in foster children. ..
- Genetic Epidemiology of Pathological GamblingWendy Slutske; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Sibling Socialization Effects: A Twin-Friend DesignSHIRLEY MC GUIRE; Fiscal Year: 2004..Outcome measures will include assessments of childrens levels of aggression, delinquency, loneliness, depression, and anxiety, as well as childrens personality characteristics and cognitive abilities. ..
- Resilience in Siblings of Children with Mental DisordersRYAN KILMER; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- The Role of Corticotropin-Releasing Factor in Primate Maternal BehaviorWendy Saltzman; Fiscal Year: 2007..Ultimately, this research will have implications for the understanding and treatment of stress-related psychopathology in women. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Early Chronic Stress and Prefrontal DevelopmentDavid Lyons; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- VULNERABILITY TO DEPRESSION--GENETIC EPIDEMIOLOGYRichard Rende; Fiscal Year: 2003....