Genomes and Genes
Summary: Performing the role of a parent by care-giving, nurturance, and protection of the child by a natural or substitute parent. The parent supports the child by exercising authority and through consistent, empathic, appropriate behavior in response to the child's needs. PARENTING differs from CHILD REARING in that in child rearing the emphasis is on the act of training or bringing up the children and the interaction between the parent and child, while parenting emphasizes the responsibility and qualities of exemplary behavior of the parent.
Publications421 found, 100 shown here
- Association between parenting practices and children's dietary intake, activity behavior and development of body mass index: the KOALA Birth Cohort StudyJessica S Gubbels
Department of Health Promotion, NUTRIM School for Nutrition, Toxicology and Metabolism, Maastricht University Medical Centre, PO Box 616, 6200 MD Maastricht, The Netherlands
Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act 8:18. 2011Insights into the effects of energy balance-related parenting practices on children's diet and activity behavior at an early age is warranted to determine which practices should be recommended and to whom...
- Test-retest reliability and construct validity of the ENERGY-parent questionnaire on parenting practices, energy balance-related behaviours and their potential behavioural determinants: the ENERGY-projectAmika S Singh
EMGO Institute for Health and Care Research, Department of Public and Occupational Health, VU University Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
BMC Res Notes 5:434. 2012Insight in parental energy balance-related behaviours, their determinants and parenting practices are important to inform childhood obesity prevention...
- Revisiting a neglected construct: parenting styles in a child-feeding contextSheryl O Hughes
Department of Pediatrics, Children s Nutrition Research Center, Baylor College of Medicine, 1100 Bates Avenue, Houston, TX 77030 2600, USA
Appetite 44:83-92. 2005The extent to which general parenting represents feeding styles in ethnically diverse populations is not well documented...
- Oxytocin receptor (OXTR) and serotonin transporter (5-HTT) genes associated with observed parentingMarian J Bakermans-Kranenburg
Centre for Child and Family Studies, Leiden University, PO Box 9555, NL 2300 RB Leiden, The Netherlands
Soc Cogn Affect Neurosci 3:128-34. 2008..Animal studies suggest a crucial role of oxytocin in mammalian parturition and lactation but also in parenting and social interactions with offspring...
- Physical activity parenting: a systematic review of questionnaires and their associations with child activity levelsE F C Sleddens
Department of Health Promotion, Nutrition and Toxicology Research Institute Maastricht NUTRIM, Maastricht University Medical Center, Maastricht, The Netherlands
Obes Rev 13:1015-33. 2012..Parents are a key in influencing their child's PA through various mechanisms of PA parenting, including support, restriction of PA and facilitation of enrolment in PA classes or activities...
- Parents are key players in the prevention and treatment of weight-related problemsMoria Golan
School of Nutritional Sciences, Faculty of Agriculture, Food and Environmental Quality Sciences, Rehovot, 76100, Israel
Nutr Rev 62:39-50. 2004..b>Parenting style and feeding style are crucial factors in fostering healthy lifestyle and awareness of internal hunger and ..
- General parenting, childhood overweight and obesity-inducing behaviors: a reviewEster F C Sleddens
Department of Health Promotion, Maastricht University, Maastricht, The Netherlands
Int J Pediatr Obes 6:e12-27. 2011..their children's weight status and related dietary and activity behaviors, reviews regarding the role of general parenting are lacking...
- Maternal depression and parenting behavior: a meta-analytic reviewM C Lovejoy
Department of Psychology, Northern Illinois University, DeKalb 60115, USA
Clin Psychol Rev 20:561-92. 2000..of 46 observational studies were analyzed to assess the strength of the association between depression and parenting behavior and to identify variables that moderated the effects...
- Parenting styles, parenting practices, and physical activity in 10- to 11-year oldsRussell Jago
Centre for Exercise, Nutrition and Health Sciences, School for Policy Studies, University of Bristol, 8 Priory Road, Bristol BS8 1TZ, UK
Prev Med 52:44-7. 2011The objective of this study was to determine whether parenting styles and practices are associated with children's physical activity.
- Sensitive parenting is associated with plasma oxytocin and polymorphisms in the OXTR and CD38 genesRuth Feldman
Department of Psychology and the Gonda Brain Sciences Center, Bar Ilan University, Ramat Gan, Israel
Biol Psychiatry 72:175-81. 2012..Molecular genetic studies also reveal a role for OT neuropathways in shaping the social brain. However, the links between peripheral OT, genetic markers, and their combined contribution to human parenting are unknown.
- Systematic review of correlates of screen-viewing among young childrenItziar Hoyos Cillero
University of the Basque Country, Nursing I Department, Nursing University School, Barrio Sarriena s n, Leioa, 48940, Biscay, Spain
Prev Med 51:3-10. 2010..The aims of this review were to: (I) synthesise current research on the correlates of screen-viewing among young children (< or = 7 years old); and (II) identify gaps in the study of these correlates...
- Childhood overweight: a contextual model and recommendations for future researchK K Davison
Department of Human Development and Family Studies, Pennsylvania State University, 110 Henderson Building South, University Park, PA 16802, USA
Obes Rev 2:159-71. 2001....
- Less is more: meta-analyses of sensitivity and attachment interventions in early childhoodMarian J Bakermans-Kranenburg
Center for Child and Family Studies, Leiden University, The Netherlands
Psychol Bull 129:195-215. 2003..Randomized interventions appeared rather effective in changing insensitive parenting (d = 0.33) and infant attachment insecurity (d = 0.20)...
- Maternal psychological distress and parenting stress after the birth of a very low-birth-weight infantL T Singer
Department of Pediatrics, School of Medicine, Case Western Reserve University, MetroHealth Medical Center, Cleveland, Ohio, USA
JAMA 281:799-805. 1999..Few studies document how parents adapt to the experience of a very low-birth-weight (VLBW; <1500 g) birth despite societal concerns about the ethics and justification of intensive care for these infants...
- Pilot of "Families for Health": community-based family intervention for obesityW Robertson
Health Sciences Research Institute, Warwick Medical School, University of Warwick, Coventry, UK
Arch Dis Child 93:921-6. 2008..To develop and evaluate "Families for Health", a new community based family intervention for childhood obesity...
- Relationships between parenting style, feeding style and feeding practices and fruit and vegetable consumption in early childhoodJackie Blissett
School of Psychology, University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham B15 2TT, United Kingdom
Appetite 57:826-31. 2011..This review examines the role of parenting style, feeding style and feeding practices in FV consumption in early childhood...
- Parenting for mental health: what does the evidence say we need to do? Report of Workpackage 2 of the DataPrev projectSarah L Stewart-Brown
Medical School, Warwick University, Gibbet Hill, Coventry CV4 7AL, UK
Health Promot Int 26:i10-28. 2011..The quality of the parent-child relationship and parenting more generally is one of the factors in determining outcomes...
- Parenting intervention in Sure Start services for children at risk of developing conduct disorder: pragmatic randomised controlled trialJudy Hutchings
School of Psychology, University of Wales Bangor, Bangor, Gwynedd, LL57 2DG
BMJ 334:678. 2007To evaluate the effectiveness of a parenting programme as a preventive intervention with parents of preschool children considered to be at risk of developing conduct disorder.
- Parenting and plasticityBenedetta Leuner
Department of Psychology and Neuroscience Institute, Princeton University, Princeton NJ 08544, USA
Trends Neurosci 33:465-73. 2010..experience, and even less about the effects of paternal experience, on neural circuitry not directly involved in parenting. Here we discuss how caregiving and the accompanying experiential and hormonal changes influence the hippocampus ..
- Parents' views on child physical activity and their implications for physical activity parenting interventions: a qualitative studyGeorgina F Bentley
Centre for Exercise, Nutrition and Health Sciences, School for Policy Studies, University of Bristol, Bristol, UK
BMC Pediatr 12:180. 2012..Parents play a central role in young children's PA. However, there is currently little research on parenting interventions to increase child PA...
- Interventions addressing general parenting to prevent or treat childhood obesitySanne M P L Gerards
Department of Health Promotion, Maastricht University, Maastricht, The Netherlands
Int J Pediatr Obes 6:e28-45. 2011Observational studies increasingly emphasize the impact of general parenting on the development of childhood overweight and obesity...
- Does home visiting improve parenting and the quality of the home environment? A systematic review and meta analysisD Kendrick
Division of General Practice, University of Nottingham, Queen s Medical Centre, Nottingham NG7 2UH, UK
Arch Dis Child 82:443-51. 2000To evaluate the effectiveness of home visiting programmes on parenting and quality of the home environment.
- How evidence-based is an 'evidence-based parenting program'? A PRISMA systematic review and meta-analysis of Triple PPhilip Wilson
Centre for Rural Health, University of Aberdeen, Centre for Health Sciences, Old Perth Rd, Inverness IV2 3JH, Scotland
BMC Med 10:130. 2012Interventions to promote positive parenting are often reported to offer good outcomes for children but they can consume substantial resources and they require rigorous appraisal.
- A small-scale randomized controlled trial of the revised new forest parenting programme for preschoolers with attention deficit hyperactivity disorderMargaret J J Thompson
School of Psychology, Institute for Disorders of Impulse and Attention, University of Southampton, Southampton SO17 1BJ, UK
Eur Child Adolesc Psychiatry 18:605-16. 2009The revised new forest parenting programme (NFPP) is an 8-week psychological intervention designed to treat ADHD in preschool children by targeting, amongst other things, both underlying impairments in self-regulation and the quality of ..
- Randomized prevention trial for early conduct problems: effects on proactive parenting and links to toddler disruptive behaviorFrances Gardner
Department of Social Policy and Social Work, University of Oxford, UK
J Fam Psychol 21:398-406. 2007..One potential prevention target is proactive and positive parenting, which is associated with reduced risk of conduct problems in preschoolers...
- Fertility awareness and parenting attitudes among American male and female undergraduate university studentsBrennan D Peterson
Schmid College of Science, Crean School of Health and Life Sciences, Chapman University, Orange, CA 92866, USA
Hum Reprod 27:1375-82. 2012..The current study is the first of its kind to assess fertility awareness and parenting attitudes of American undergraduate university students.
- Tri-ministry study: correlates of school-based parenting course utilizationC E Cunningham
Hamilton Health Sciences Corporation, Ontario, Canada
J Consult Clin Psychol 68:928-33. 2000..Most families attributed nonparticipation to busy personal schedules, inconvenient times, and logistical difficulties...
- Dimensions of vegetable parenting practices among preschoolersTom Baranowski
USDA ARS Children s Nutrition Research Center, Department of Pediatrics, Baylor College of Medicine, 1100 Bates Street, Houston, TX 77030 2600, USA
Appetite 69:89-93. 2013The objective of this study was to determine the factor structure of 31 effective and ineffective vegetable parenting practices used by parents of preschool children based on three theoretically proposed factors: responsiveness, control ..
- What role for the home learning environment and parenting in reducing the socioeconomic gradient in child development? Findings from the Millennium Cohort StudyY Kelly
Institute for Social and Economic Research, University of Essex, Wivenhoe Park, Colchester CO4 3SQ, UK
Arch Dis Child 96:832-7. 2011....
- Associations between general parenting styles and specific food-related parenting practices and children's food consumptionCarine Vereecken
Ghent University, Department of Public Health, Ghent, Belgium
Am J Health Promot 23:233-40. 2009Explore the impact of general parenting style and specific food-related parenting practices on children's dietary habits.
- Parenting practices are associated with fruit and vegetable consumption in pre-school childrenTeresia M O'Connor
USDA ARS Children s Nutrition Research Center, Department of Pediatrics, Baylor College of Medicine, 1100 Bates Street, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Public Health Nutr 13:91-101. 2010..fruit and vegetable (F&V) consumption in many ways, but research has focused primarily on counterproductive parenting practices, such as restriction and pressure to eat...
- Why target early adolescents and parents in alcohol prevention? The mediating effects of self-control, rules and attitudes about alcohol useIna M Koning
Department of Interdisciplinary Social Science, Utrecht University, The Netherlands
Addiction 106:538-46. 2011..To examine the effects of a parent and student intervention offered separately and simultaneously (PAS) on onset of weekly drinking via its putative mediators...
- Economic deprivation, maternal depression, parenting and children's cognitive and emotional development in early childhoodKathleen E Kiernan
Department of Social Policy and Social Work, University of York
Br J Sociol 59:783-806. 2008..are associated with children's cognitive development and behaviour problems at age 3 years, and what part parenting behaviours and attitudes play in mediating these factors...
- Multicentre controlled trial of parenting groups for childhood antisocial behaviour in clinical practiceS Scott
Institute of Psychiatry, King s College London, London SE5 8AF
BMJ 323:194-8. 2001To see whether a behaviourally based group parenting programme, delivered in regular clinical practice, is an effective treatment for antisocial behaviour in children.
- Development and validation of a scale to measure Latino parenting strategies related to children's obesigenic behaviors. The parenting strategies for eating and activity scale (PEAS)Sandra E Larios
SDSU UCSD Joint Doctoral Program in Clinical Psychology, 6363 Alvarado Court, Suite 103, San Diego, CA 92120, United States
Appetite 52:166-72. 2009..Research has shown that children's dietary and activity-related behaviors are shaped by the family environment and parenting behaviors...
- Is parenting style related to children's healthy eating and physical activity in Latino families?Elva M Arredondo
Center for Behavioral and Community Health Studies, Graduate School of Public Health, San Diego State University, San Diego, CA 92123, USA
Health Educ Res 21:862-71. 2006b>Parenting styles influence a child's risk for obesity...
- Oxytocin and the development of parenting in humansIlanit Gordon
Department of Psychology, Bar Ilan University, Ramat Gan, Israel Gonda Brain Research Center, Bar Ilan University, Ramat Gan, Israel
Biol Psychiatry 68:377-82. 2010..implicated in processes of parent-infant bonding in animal models; yet, its role in the development of human parenting has received less attention and no research has addressed the involvement of OT in the transition to fatherhood.
- Triple P-Positive Parenting Program as a public health approach to strengthening parentingMatthew R Sanders
Parenting and Family Support Centre, University of Queensland, Queensland, Australia
J Fam Psychol 22:506-17. 2008b>Parenting programs have considerable potential to improve the mental health and well-being of children, improve family relationships, and benefit the community at large...
- The role of parental control practices in explaining children's diet and BMIKerry A Brown
Department of Psychology, University of Surrey, Guildford, Surrey, GU2 7XH, UK
Appetite 50:252-9. 2008This paper aimed to investigate which parents use which types of parenting control practices to manage their children's diets and to assess the impact of these practices on children's dietary patterns and their BMI...
- Parenting styles, family structure and adolescent dietary behaviourNatalie Pearson
School of Sport, Exercise and Health Sciences, Loughborough University, Loughborough, Leicestershire, LE11 3TU, UK
Public Health Nutr 13:1245-53. 2010To examine associations between parenting styles, family structure and aspects of adolescent dietary behaviour.
- 'BeSAFE', effect-evaluation of internet-based, tailored safety information combined with personal counselling on parents' child safety behaviours: study design of a randomized controlled trialMirjam E J van Beelen
Department of Public Health, Erasmus MC University Medical Centre Rotterdam, PO Box 2040, 3000 CA Rotterdam, The Netherlands
BMC Public Health 10:466. 2010..The aim of this study is to evaluate the effect of this safety information combined with personal counselling on parents' child safety behaviours...
- Maternal responsiveness to young children at three ages: longitudinal analysis of a multidimensional, modular, and specific parenting constructMarc H Bornstein
Child and Family Research, Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, National Institutes of Health, 6705 Rockledge Drive, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Dev Psychol 44:867-74. 2008..Both age-general and age-specific patterns emerged in maternal responding. The study's developmental results support the multidimensionality, modularity, and specificity of this central parenting construct.
- Factor structure of the Parenting Sense of Competence scale using a normative sampleL Gilmore
School of Learning and Professional Studies, Queensland University of Technology, Brisbane, QLD 4059, Australia
Child Care Health Dev 35:48-55. 2009The Parenting Sense of Competence (PSOC) scale is a commonly used measure of parental self-efficacy...
- Influence of interpersonal violence on maternal anxiety, depression, stress and parenting morale in the early postpartum: a community based pregnancy cohort studyLise A Malta
Department of Paediatrics, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
BMC Pregnancy Childbirth 12:153. 2012..impact of interpersonal violence on mental health in the early postpartum period has important implications for parenting, child development, and delivery of health services...
- Perceived parenting styles and tobacco, alcohol and cannabis use among French adolescents: gender and family structure differentialsMarie Choquet
Univ Paris Sud, U669, Le Kremlin Bicetre, F 94276, France
Alcohol Alcohol 43:73-80. 2008....
- How do outcomes in a specified parent training intervention maintain or wane over time?David S DeGarmo
Oregon Social Learning Center, Eugene, Oregon 97401, USA
Prev Sci 5:73-89. 2004..Second, because observed parenting was the target of PMT, we hypothesized a sequential pattern of structured changes within and between individuals...
- Reciprocal relationships between parenting behavior and disruptive psychopathology from childhood through adolescenceJeffrey D Burke
Department of Psychiatry, Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic, University of Pittsburgh, 3811 O Hara St, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
J Abnorm Child Psychol 36:679-92. 2008Theoretical models suggest that child behaviors influence parenting behaviors, and specifically that unpleasant child behaviors coerce parents to discontinue engaging in appropriate discipline...
- The effects of socioeconomic status, race, and parenting on language development in early childhoodElizabeth P Pungello
Frank Porter Graham Child Development Institute, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 880, USA
Dev Psychol 45:544-57. 2009..For receptive language, race was associated with ability level, and maternal sensitivity and negative-intrusive parenting were related to rate of growth...
- Developing and validating a tool to measure parenting self-efficacySally Kendall
Centre for Research in Primary and Community Care, University of Hertfordshire, Hatfield, UK
J Adv Nurs 51:174-81. 2005This paper reports the development of a tool to measure parenting self-efficacy as an aid to evaluating parenting programmes.
- Rethinking stress in parents of preterm infants: a meta-analysisRenske Schappin
Department of Medical Psychology and Social Work, Wilhelmina Children s Hospital, University Medical Center Utrecht, Utrecht, The Netherlands
PLoS ONE 8:e54992. 2013..Furthermore, we investigated moderators of parental stress...
- Measuring the impact and costs of a universal group based parenting programme: protocol and implementation of a trialDouglas E Simkiss
Health Sciences Research Institute, Warwick Medical School, University of Warwick, Coventry, CV4 7AL, England
BMC Public Health 10:364. 2010Sub-optimal parenting is a common risk factor for a wide range of negative health, social and educational outcomes...
- A critical evaluation of the Parenting Stress Index-Short Form (PSI-SF) in a head start populationDavid Reitman
Center for Psychological Studies, Nova Southeastern University, 3301 College Avenue, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33314, USA
J Clin Child Adolesc Psychol 31:384-92. 2002Examines psychometric characteristics of the 36-item Parenting Stress Index-Short Form (PSI-SF) in a low-income, predominantly minority population...
- Who benefits and how does it work? Moderators and mediators of outcome in an effectiveness trial of a parenting interventionFrances Gardner
Department of Social Policy and Social Work, University of Oxford, United Kingdom
J Clin Child Adolesc Psychol 39:568-80. 2010..and moderators of change in conduct problems, in a multiagency randomized trial of the Incredible Years parenting program...
- Temperament and the environment in the etiology of childhood anxietyKathryn A Degnan
University of Maryland, College Park, Maryland 20742, USA
J Child Psychol Psychiatry 51:497-517. 2010..e., behavioral inhibition) and the child's environment, including parenting, childcare, and peer relationships, as these factors have been linked to internalizing problems and anxiety ..
- Mediators of maternal depression and family structure on child BMI: parenting quality and risk factors for child overweightRegina L McConley
Department of Psychology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama, USA
Obesity (Silver Spring) 19:345-52. 2011..for child obesity may be influenced by family environment, including maternal depression, family structure, and parenting quality...
- Promoting positive parenting practices in primary pare: outcomes and mechanisms of change in a randomized controlled risk reduction trialCharlotte Reedtz
Center for Child and Adolescent Mental Health, Department of Clinical Medicine, Faculty of Health Science, University of Tromsø, Tromsø, Norway
Scand J Psychol 52:131-7. 2011..There were significant differences in the changes in the two groups, with reductions in harsh parenting and child behavior problems, an enhancement of positive parenting and of the parents' sense of competence in the ..
- Beyond diathesis stress: differential susceptibility to environmental influencesJay Belsky
Institute for the Study of Children, Families and Social Issues, Birkbeck University of London, 7 Bedford Square, London WC1B 3RA, United Kingdom
Psychol Bull 135:885-908. 2009..Discussion focuses upon limits of the evidence, statistical criteria for distinguishing differential susceptibility from diathesis stress, potential mechanisms of influence, and unknowns in the differential-susceptibility equation...
- Towards parenthood: an antenatal intervention to reduce depression, anxiety and parenting difficultiesJeannette Milgrom
Psychological Sciences, University of Melbourne, Australia
J Affect Disord 130:385-94. 2011..There have been few antenatal interventions aimed at preparing women for the transition to parenthood and previous attempts to intervene antenatally to prevent postnatal depression and anxiety have had limited impact...
- Interaction of parenting experiences and brain structure in the prediction of depressive symptoms in adolescentsMarie B H Yap
ORYGEN Research Centre, Parkville, Victoria, Australia
Arch Gen Psychiatry 65:1377-85. 2008..One potential explanation for this is the moderating role of environmental context, with individuals differing in their biological sensitivity to context...
- Parenting practices and intergenerational associations in cognitive abilityM Byford
Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, University College London Medical School, London, UK
Int J Epidemiol 41:263-72. 2012..b>Parenting practices are known to influence offspring cognitive development, but the extent to which these mediate ..
- CHRM2, parental monitoring, and adolescent externalizing behavior: evidence for gene-environment interactionDanielle M Dick
Virginia Institute for Psychiatric and Behavioral Genetics, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA 23298 0126, USA
Psychol Sci 22:481-9. 2011..The difficulties involved in distinguishing mechanisms of gene-environment interaction are discussed...
- Relationship between child sleep disturbances and maternal sleep, mood, and parenting stress: a pilot studyLisa J Meltzer
Division of Pulmonary Medicine, Children s Hospital of Philadelphia, University of Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
J Fam Psychol 21:67-73. 2007..Forty-seven mothers completed measures of sleep, depression, parenting stress, fatigue, and sleepiness...
- Parenting style as a predictor of adolescent weight and weight-related behaviorsJerica M Berge
Department of Family Medicine and Community Health, University of Minnesota Medical School, Minneapolis, Minnesota 55455, USA
J Adolesc Health 46:331-8. 2010Current research indicates that specific parenting styles are associated with adolescent overweight, dietary intake, and physical activity; but most of the research has been cross-sectional, making it difficult to determine the temporal ..
- Baby cries and nurturance affect testosterone in menSari M van Anders
Department of Psychology, University of Michigan, 530 Church St, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
Horm Behav 61:31-6. 2012Testosterone (T) is generally theorized within a trade-off framework that contrasts parenting and low T with competitive challenges and high T...
- Childhood obesity treatment: targeting parents exclusively v. parents and childrenMoria Golan
School of Nutritional Sciences, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Rehovot, Israel
Br J Nutr 95:1008-15. 2006..the parents and the obese child. In both groups, parents were encouraged to foster authoritative parenting styles (parents are both firm and supportive; assume a leadership role in the environmental change with ..
- Perceived Maternal Parenting Self-Efficacy (PMP S-E) tool: development and validation with mothers of hospitalized preterm neonatesChristopher R Barnes
Division of Psychology, University of Wolverhampton, Wolverhampton, UK
J Adv Nurs 60:550-60. 2007This paper is a report of a study to develop and test the psychometric properties of the Perceived Maternal Parenting Self-Efficacy tool.
- Parental rules and communication: their association with adolescent smokingZeena Harakeh
Institute of Family and Child Care Studies, Radboud University of Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Addiction 100:862-70. 2005..To examine the association between parental rules and communication (also referred to as antismoking socialization) and adolescents' smoking...
- Differential susceptibility in youth: evidence that 5-HTTLPR x positive parenting is associated with positive affect 'for better and worse'B L Hankin
Department of Psychology, University of Denver, Denver, CO 80208, USA
Transl Psychiatry 1:e44. 2011..Here, we studied youths' 5-HTTLPR genotype and rearing environment (degree of positive and supportive parenting) to investigate the differential susceptibility hypothesis (DSH) that youth carrying short alleles of 5-HTTLPR ..
- Enduring consequences of parenting for risk behaviors from adolescence into early adulthoodKathleen M Roche
Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Soc Sci Med 66:2023-34. 2008..Overall, findings support the strategy of family-focused interventions that stress the importance close relationships for females and of instrumental control for males...
- Depressive symptoms among rural Bangladeshi mothers: implications for infant developmentMaureen M Black
Department of Pediatrics, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
J Child Psychol Psychiatry 48:764-72. 2007....
- Longitudinal examination of the family food environment and weight status among childrenAbbie MacFarlane
Centre for Physical Activity and Nutrition Research, School of Exercise and Nutrition Sciences, Deakin University, Burwood, Australia
Int J Pediatr Obes 4:343-52. 2009..To examine whether aspects of the family food environment were associated with body mass index (BMI) z-score and weight status in children, cross-sectionally and prospectively over 3 years...
- A randomized pilot study of the Engaging Moms Program for family drug courtGayle A Dakof
Center for Treatment Research on Adolescent Drug Abuse, Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, Miami, FL 33136, USA
J Subst Abuse Treat 38:263-74. 2010..time effects for both intervention groups on multiple outcomes including substance use, mental health, parenting practices, and family functioning. EMP showed equal or better improvement than ICMS on all outcomes...
- Parental influences on youth television viewingDanielle T Barradas
Program in Nutrition and Health Sciences, Graduate Division of Biological and Biomedical Sciences, Emory University, Atlanta, GA, USA
J Pediatr 151:369-73, 373.e1-4. 2007....
- Predicting children's media use in the USA: differences in cross-sectional and longitudinal analysisSook Jung Lee
Department of Mass Communication, Chung Ang University, Seoul, South Korea
Br J Dev Psychol 27:123-43. 2009..This study is among the first to provide empirical evidence for the effect of early contextual factors on the life course of children's media use from a developmental perspective...
- Variation in testosterone levels and male reproductive effort: insight from a polygynous human populationAlexandra Alvergne
Universite Montpellier II, France CNRS, Institut des Sciences de l Evolution, Place Eugene Bataillon, CC 065, 34095 Montpellier Cedex 5, France
Horm Behav 56:491-7. 2009..humans, variations in testosterone (T) levels between men reflect their differential allocation in mating versus parenting efforts...
- Do parents accurately perceive their child's weight status?Angela De La O
Department of Pedaitrics, Univeristy of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT, USA
J Pediatr Health Care 23:216-21. 2009..Few studies have evaluated the accuracy of parental perceptions of their child's weight status...
- The impact of alcohol-specific rules, parental norms about early drinking and parental alcohol use on adolescents' drinking behaviorHaske van der Vorst
Behavioural Science Institute, Radboud University Nijmegen, The Netherlands
J Child Psychol Psychiatry 47:1299-306. 2006..It is assumed that parental norms and alcohol use affect the rules parents have about alcohol, which in turn prevents alcohol use by adolescent children...
- Career and parenting satisfaction among medical students, residents and physician teachers at a Canadian medical schoolB Cujec
Department of Medicine, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon
CMAJ 162:637-40. 2000Studies of career and parenting satisfaction have focused separately on medical students, residents and practising physicians. The objective of this study was to compare satisfaction across a spectrum of stages of medical career.
- The role of alcohol-specific socialization in adolescents' drinking behaviourHaske van der Vorst
Institute of Family and Child Care Studies, Radboud University Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Addiction 100:1464-76. 2005..To determine which alcohol-specific socialization practices are related to adolescents' alcohol use, and to investigate whether parents differ in their alcohol-specific socialization towards their children...
- Examining the association between parenting and childhood depression: a meta-analysisBryce D McLeod
Department of Psychiatry, Virginia Commonwealth University, Virginia, USA
Clin Psychol Rev 27:986-1003. 2007Theoretical models posit that parenting plays a causal role in the development and maintenance of child psychological problems, yet meta-analytic findings indicate that parenting accounts for less than 6% of the variance in child ..
- Natural variations in maternal and paternal care are associated with systematic changes in oxytocin following parent-infant contactRuth Feldman
Department of Psychology, Bar Ilan University, Ramat Gan, Israel
Psychoneuroendocrinology 35:1133-41. 2010..Yet, the involvement of OT in human parenting remains poorly understood, no data are available on the role of OT in the development of human fathering, and ..
- The development of physical aggression from toddlerhood to pre-adolescence: a nation wide longitudinal study of Canadian childrenSylvana M Côté
School of Psychoeducation, University of Montreal, Quebec, Canada
J Abnorm Child Psychol 34:71-85. 2006..20; CI: 1.05-1.38) and who reported using hostile/ineffective parenting strategies (OR: 1.16; CI: 1.14-1.18)...
- Individual and combined effects of postpartum depression in mothers and fathers on parenting behaviorJames F Paulson
Center for Pediatric Research, Eastern Virginia Medical School, 855 W Brambleton Ave, Norfolk, Virginia 23510, USA
Pediatrics 118:659-68. 2006Pediatric anticipatory guidance has been associated with parenting behaviors that promote positive infant development...
- From alienation to familiarity: experiences of mothers and fathers of preterm infantsKarin Jackson
Department of Caring Sciences, Orebro University, Orebro, Sweden
J Adv Nurs 43:120-9. 2003..Influencing factors, such as family situation and health status of the child, can support or weaken the coping ability of the parents. Studies on experiences of fathers are sparse...
- Parenting factors associated with reduced adolescent alcohol use: a systematic review of longitudinal studiesSiobhan M Ryan
Orygen Youth Health Research Centre, Centre for Youth Mental Health, University of Melbourne, Locked Bag, 10 Parkville, Melbourne 3052, Victoria, Australia
Aust N Z J Psychiatry 44:774-83. 2010To identify parenting strategies associated with adolescent alcohol consumption that parents can use to implement new national guidelines regarding alcohol consumption by people under the age of 18.
- Measurement of parental discipline and nurturanceLisa M Locke
Department of Psychology, University of South Carolina, Columbia, SC 29208, USA
Clin Psychol Rev 22:895-929. 2002..Discipline and nurturance are two of the most heavily referenced constructs in the parenting research literature, but there are varying ways to operationalize them with respect to both method and content...
- Links between parents' and girls' television viewing behaviors: a longitudinal examinationKirsten Krahnstoever Davison
Department of Health Policy, Management and Behavior, State University of New York at Albany, Rensselaer, New York 12144, USA
J Pediatr 147:436-42. 2005This longitudinal study examines links between parents' television (TV)-related parenting practices and their daughter's daily TV viewing hours.
- Indulgent feeding style and children's weight status in preschoolSheryl O Hughes
Children s Nutrition Research Center, Department of Pediatrics, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX 77030, USA
J Dev Behav Pediatr 29:403-10. 2008..The secondary aim was to examine whether feeding styles were still related to children's body mass index independent of parent affect, child temperament, and known correlates...
- Improving mental health through parenting programmes: block randomised controlled trialJ Patterson
Health Services Research Unit, Institute of Health Sciences, Old Road, Headington, Oxford OX3 7LF, UK John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford, UK
Arch Dis Child 87:472-7. 2002To assess the effectiveness of a parenting programme, delivered by health visitors in primary care, in improving the mental health of children and their parents among a representative general practice population.
- Interactions between child behavior patterns and parenting: implications for children's unintentional injury riskDavid C Schwebel
Department of Psychology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, 1300 University Boulevard, CH 415, Birmingham, AL 35294, USA
J Pediatr Psychol 29:93-104. 2004..of children's risk for unintentional injury: (a) children's temperamentally difficult behavior patterns and (b) parenting. Along with hypotheses to replicate previous univariate effects, it was hypothesized that active, involved ..
- Family relationships in childhood and common psychiatric disorders in later life: systematic review of prospective studiesScott Weich
Health Sciences Research Institute, Warwick Medical School, Medical School Building, University of Warwick, Coventry CV4 7AL, UK
Br J Psychiatry 194:392-8. 2009..Most evidence for associations between childhood adversity and adult mental illness is retrospective...
- Parental monitoring: a reinterpretationH Stattin
Department of Psychology, University of Orebro, Sweden
Child Dev 71:1072-85. 2000Monitoring (tracking and surveillance) of children's behavior is considered an essential parenting skill...
- Parental socialization of child and adolescent physical activity: a meta-analysisJohn Pugliese
Department of Psychology, Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ 85287 1104, USA
J Fam Psychol 21:331-43. 2007..From an applied viewpoint, these results are useful for the design of future, more effective childhood obesity prevention programs by suggesting child-age-appropriate parental influences...
- Stress and coping behaviors of substance-abusing mothersS J Kelley
College of Health and Human Sciences, Georgia State University, Atlanta, USA
J Soc Pediatr Nurs 3:103-10. 1998To examine parenting stress and coping behaviors in substance-abusing and non-substance-abusing mothers.
- Brain basis of early parent-infant interactions: psychology, physiology, and in vivo functional neuroimaging studiesJames E Swain
Child Study Center, Yale University, New Haven, CT 06520 7900, USA
J Child Psychol Psychiatry 48:262-87. 2007b>Parenting behavior critically shapes human infants' current and future behavior...
- Parent feeding restriction and child weight. The mediating role of child disinhibited eating and the moderating role of the parenting contextJessica L Joyce
School of Psychology, Griffith University, Gold Coast, Australia
Appetite 52:726-34. 2009We had two aims in this study of parenting and young children's eating and weight. The first aim was to test whether the association of parental restriction with young children's higher BMI is dependent on the intervening (i.e...
- Towards a family process model of maternal and paternal depressive symptoms: exploring multiple relations with child and family functioningE Mark Cummings
University of Notre Dame, Notre Dame, IN 46556, USA
J Child Psychol Psychiatry 46:479-89. 2005..Research has focused on maternal dysphoria and child adjustment. However, family process models indicate gaps in the study of paternal dysphoria, broader family functioning, and diverse child outcomes...
- Gene-environment interaction of the dopamine D4 receptor (DRD4) and observed maternal insensitivity predicting externalizing behavior in preschoolersMarian J Bakermans-Kranenburg
Center for Child and Family Studies, Leiden University, The Netherlands
Dev Psychobiol 48:406-9. 2006..other externalizing problems in children to either dopamine D4 receptor polymorphisms or harsh and insensitive parenting. In this study it was determined whether the combination of the DRD4 7-repeat polymorphism and maternal ..
- Poverty, family process, and the mental health of immigrant children in CanadaMorton Beiser
Culture, Community, and Health Studies Program, Centre for Addiction and Mental Health and the Department of Psychiatry, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Am J Public Health 92:220-7. 2002..This study examined the differential effects of poverty on the mental health of foreign-born children, Canadian-born children of immigrant parents, and children of non-immigrant parents...
- Maternal depression and comorbidity: predicting early parenting, attachment security, and toddler social-emotional problems and competenciesA S Carter
Department of Psychology, University of Massachusetts Boston, 100 Morrissey Boulevard, Boston, MA 02125 3393, USA
J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 40:18-26. 2001..To examine relations between maternal depression (in pure and comorbid forms) and mother-infant interactions, infant attachment, and toddler social-emotional problems and competencies. A second objective was to explore sex differences...
- Examining the association between parenting and childhood anxiety: a meta-analysisBryce D McLeod
Department of Psychiatry, Virginia Commonwealth University, USA
Clin Psychol Rev 27:155-72. 2007Theoretical models emphasize the role of parenting in the development and maintenance of child anxiety, but reviews of the empirical literature have provided mixed support for existing theories...
- Parenting, Adolescent Self-Regulation, and Risk-Taking Across CulturesJennifer E Lansford; Fiscal Year: 2013..develops across adolescence as a function of biological maturation (puberty and age) and socialization (parenting and culture)...
- Creation of Eating/Activity Environments by New MothersDeborah Young Hyman; Fiscal Year: 2010..behavior, beliefs and intentions regarding the creation of a healthy food and PA environment for their child, parenting stress, knowledge about and actual eating and PA, and energy expenditure...
- Health-Seeking Behaviors among Men with Criminal Justice and Substance Abuse HistPamela Valera; Fiscal Year: 2013..g. health/illness, parenting, vocational skills, housing stability, employment, and social support) that may impede men's ability to ..
- Prolonged Grief and Functioning of Parents after the Hermosillo Day Care FireFran H Norris; Fiscal Year: 2010..measures of role impairment and quality of life;quality of social relationships with spouse, family, and friends;parenting/family stress;perceived need for mental health care, suicidality, and alcohol misuse;and physical health ..
- Neurobiology of Social SupportCAROL SUE CARTER; Fiscal Year: 2010..contribute to our basic understanding of mammalian social behavior, and especially processes associated with parenting. In addition, these studies may help us understand neuroendocrine mechanisms underlying child neglect or abuse ..
- Coregulatory Processes and Postpartum Depression in Mexican-AmericansLinda J Luecken; Fiscal Year: 2013..far beyond the mother's mental health, and can have severe detrimental effects on marital relationships, parenting abilities, mother-infant bonding, and infant health and development...
- An interactive web-based intervention to achieve healthy weight in young childrenEllen Wald; Fiscal Year: 2013..care setting accompanied by continuous input via the web over 12 months with a strong component focusing on "parenting skills" and increasing social supports (through the CHESS network) for fostering healthy lifestyles...
- Self-Regulation and Sleep in Children At Risk for Autism Spectrum DisordersAMY J SCHWICHTENBERG; Fiscal Year: 2012..sleep problems and the roles of sleep in self-regulation has the potential to inform assessment, treatment and parenting guidelines. Dr...
- Self-Regulation and Sleep in Children At Risk for Autism Spectrum DisordersAMY J SCHWICHTENBERG; Fiscal Year: 2013..sleep problems and the roles of sleep in self-regulation has the potential to inform assessment, treatment and parenting guidelines. Dr...
- Effect of Birth Order and Genetics on Infant Parenting and Obesity RiskIan M Paul; Fiscal Year: 2013..INSIGHT) study is an ongoing prospective, randomized, controlled trial evaluating the efficacy of a responsive parenting intervention designed to prevent rapid infant weight gain and childhood obesity among 276 first-born infants...
- Mothers and Others: Family-based Obesity Prevention for Infants and ToddlersMargaret E Bentley; Fiscal Year: 2013..risk factors underpinning the intervention, namely more positive breastfeeding attitudes;higher levels of parenting and breastfeeding self-efficacy;higher levels of perceived social support;higher responsive feeding style scores;..
- Identifying Genetic Risk for Maternal Insensitivity and Infant DysregulationEsther M Leerkes; Fiscal Year: 2013..the origins of these processes will inform the development of screening tools to identify mothers at risk for parenting difficulties and the design of individually tailored intervention efforts to foster sensiive maternal behavior ..
- Coaching Parents to Manage Youth Stress through Recreation and CultureHoward C Stevenson; Fiscal Year: 2010..We will also evaluate PLAAY's effects on parenting satisfaction and involvement as well as youth rejection sensitivity and reading achievement...
- Early experience and emotional development in free-ranging primatesKaren J Parker; Fiscal Year: 2013..research will provide original information on the neuroendocrine mechanisms through which exposure to variable parenting can affect the development of stress vulnerability and resilience in children, and how genetic and environmental ..
- Inter-Parental Conflict, Maternal Behavior, and Mother-Child PhysiologyLEAH CORINNE HIBEL; Fiscal Year: 2012..However, marital conflict is related to a host of negative parenting practices, and marital conflict's effect on parenting behavior is thought to be a key mechanism leading to ..
- Behavioral Change in the Mother/Infant Dyad: Preventing Postpartum DepressionCATHERINE E MONK; Fiscal Year: 2012..Studies show that infant cry/fuss and sleep behavior are associated with PPD, and that parenting interventions can change infant behavior, yet these findings have never been applied to PPD...
- Maternal Brain and Behavioral Responses to Infant Cues in Cocaine Exposed MothersLane Strathearn; Fiscal Year: 2013..contribute to adult patterns of caregiving, as well as susceptibilities to addiction, which may further impair parenting capacities...
- Hispanic Community Children's Health Study of Latino Youth SOL-YouthKrista M Perreira; Fiscal Year: 2013..parents on youth's lifestyle behaviors and their cardiometabolic risk profiles;(2) Test the association of parenting strategies and practices with children's lifestyle behaviors and cardiometabolic risk profiles;and, (3) ..
- Parent Behavior and Child Adjustment Across CulturesJennifer E Lansford; Fiscal Year: 2010..g., beliefs, values) that affect parenting practices and children's interpretations of them...
- Promoting positive social-emotional pathways: A translational research programGrazyna Kochanska; Fiscal Year: 2013..Our translational research, Play Study, an ongoing, theory-informed, randomized parenting intervention with 186 low-income, diverse mother-toddler dyads, fosters early mother-child MRO, and thus ..
- A Follow-up of Children Enrolled in the Management of Myelomeningocele StudyELIZABETH ANN THOM; Fiscal Year: 2013..Quality of life, family impact, parenting stress and maternal reproductive functioning also will be assessed...
- Clinical/Behavioral Approach to Overweight Latino YouthGregory A Talavera; Fiscal Year: 2013..education regarding healthy eating, increasing physical activity, decreasing sedentary behaviors, and effective parenting behaviors to model and reinforce children's health behaviors, instruction on how to modify both social and ..
- A Transgenerational e-Intervention for Gestational Diabetics and their OffspringWanda K Nicholson; Fiscal Year: 2013..were raised: 1) attending in-person visits proved challenging for participants, due to the competing demands of parenting and work, and 2) participants verbalized missed opportunities during pregnancy and delivery to learn about the ..
- Parenting and Adolescents: A Pooled Data Analysis of Ethnically Diverse FamiliesDIANE LESLIE HUGHES; Fiscal Year: 2011..disparities suggest that it is crucial to understand the potential ethnic-racial variations in the components of parenting that most effectively protect youth from maladaptive outcomes versus those that place them at risk...
- Prevention of Overfeeding During InfancyKathryn G Dewey; Fiscal Year: 2010..key risk factors for later obesity is a rapid rate of weight gain during infancy;related behavioral factors are parenting styles and associated infant feeding practices...
- Parsing the Heterogeneity of Neural Functioning in Postpartum DepressionEydie L Moses-Kolko; Fiscal Year: 2013..relevant to care of the offspring in young women for whom psychiatric history, psychosocial functioning, and own parenting experience are known, via prospective data collection...
- Self-Regulation in Preschool: The Role of Child Physiology, Parents, and TeachersCATHI BARBRA PROPPER; Fiscal Year: 2013..the interplay between 1) children's behavioral and physiological self-regulation in toddlerhood, 2) early parenting behaviors, and 3) concurrent teacher behaviors...
- Healthy Child Weight Through Improved Parent Practices and Environmental ChangeDIANNE STANTON WARD; Fiscal Year: 2012..yet to date no obesity prevention interventions incorporating a strong family focus with emphasis on improved parenting practices have been developed...
- Gendered Social Context of Adolescent HIV Risk Behavior in GhanaJeffrey B Bingenheimer; Fiscal Year: 2013..of youth and their parents in three communities in southeastern Ghana to identify the ways in which gendered parenting practices, peer group norms, and other factors interact with individual developmental processes and local ..
- Childhood Poverty and Brain Development: The Role of Chronic Stress and ParentingJAMES EDWARD SWAIN; Fiscal Year: 2010..brain relationships? We hypothesize chronic physiological stress dysregulation as well as harsh, unresponsive parenting during childhood will account for some of the expected linkages between childhood poverty - adult brain ..
- Cross-Cultural Comparison of Interactions Between Anxious Mothers and ChildrenAraceli Gonzalez; Fiscal Year: 2011..The goal of this training grant is to promote positive youth development in Latino youths by examining parenting practices that place youths at heightened risk for developing anxiety...
- Intergenerational impact of war: A prospective longitudinal studyTheresa Stichick Betancourt; Fiscal Year: 2013..An expanded survey battery will assess family dynamics, parenting, intimate partner relationships, family violence, and the physical, cognitive, and emotional development of ..
- The Effects of Prenatal Stress &Poor Nutrition on Brain and CognitionBradley S Peterson; Fiscal Year: 2013..While it is increasingly recognized that normative varia- tion in early environmental experiences (i.e. parenting style), plays a significant role in shaping cognitive devel- opment, evidence indicates that the impact of the ..
- Social Ecology of Maternal Substance UseElizabeth A Mumford; Fiscal Year: 2013..and social processes in association with maternal alcohol and tobacco use in the perinatal and early childhood parenting periods...
- Preventing Maternal Depression in Head StartMichael Silverstein; Fiscal Year: 2013..In 2009, the Institute of Medicine (IOM) published a landmark report, Depression in Parents, Parenting, and Children, in which it called for the development of innovative, community-based initiatives to reduce ..
- A Primary Prevention Trial to Strengthen Child Attachment in a Native CommunityDedra S Buchwald; Fiscal Year: 2013..and well-being of children and young adults are their primary concern, recommending a return to traditional parenting values...
- Social Outcomes in Pediatric Traumatic Brain InjuryKeith O Yeates; Fiscal Year: 2010..classmates, parents, and teachers;and (5) measures of environmental variables, such as family functioning and parenting practices, that may act as risk or resilience factors in moderating the effects of TBI on social development...
- Parent Education and Resources for Self-Injurious YouthJanis L Whitlock; Fiscal Year: 2012..is finalized in Phase II, we will conduct a randomized clinical trial to examine treatment effects for (1) parenting knowledge, skills, and positive engagement with their child, (2) youth self-injury recovery, and (3) youth ..
- Patient Navigation for Depressed Mothers in Head Start - An Engagement StrategyMichael Silverstein; Fiscal Year: 2013..In 2009, the Institute of Medicine (IOM) published a landmark report, Depression in Parents, Parenting, and Children, in which it recognized engagement with care to be a substantial hurdle to better outcomes, and ..
- Family Functioning, Parenting Characteristics and Obesity in Chinese AdolescentsBin Xie; Fiscal Year: 2013..Certain characteristics of parenting styles, practices and family functioning may be influential in the development of obesity among adolescents...
- ADAPT: After Deployment Adaptive Parenting ToolsBRION contact MARQUEZ; Fiscal Year: 2010..To achieve this end, we will develop, evaluate, and disseminate ADAPT: After Deployment: Adaptive Parenting Tools, an online, interactive resource for military parents...
- Risk for Child Psychopathology: A Twin-Study PerspectiveHAROLD HILL GOLDSMITH; Fiscal Year: 2011..twin-twin and twin-parent social interaction styles, multiple facets of family stress, and negative parenting. The research methods that we employ include structured diagnostic interviews with caregivers and children, ..
- The Effects of Homelessness Interventions on Child OutcomesMarybeth Shinn; Fiscal Year: 2013..substance use), resources (child care, learning resources in the home, nutrition, low financial stress), and parenting (parental warmth, lack of hostility, involved vigilant parenting, supportive family relationships, routines)...
- Momba: A smartphone application to promote the mental health of new mothersMEGAN VEENEMA SMITH; Fiscal Year: 2013..Known risk factors among women include low-income, single marital status, adolescent parenting, and social isolation...
- Origins of Maternal Sensitivity to Infant DistressEsther M Leerkes; Fiscal Year: 2012..the origins of these processes will inform the development of screening tools to identify mothers at risk for parenting difficulties and the design of individually tailored intervention efforts to foster sensitive maternal behavior ..
- Prenatal &Environmental Tobacco Smoke (ETS) Exposure: Effects on Child RegulatiRina D Eiden; Fiscal Year: 2013..3) to examine if these associations may be moderated by infant perinatal risks, maternal risks (psychopathology, parenting), or cumulative environmental risk...
- Dopamine/Adenpsine interaction in depression: Therapeutic role of A2A antagonismMARIANA PEREIRA ARBOLEYA; Fiscal Year: 2013..Although the clinical literature consistently relates postpartum depression to compromised parenting, to date, no studies have examined the neurobiological mechanisms by which parenting is disrupted in postpartum ..
- Intergenerational Research on Obesity Prevention: From Correlates to InterventionBernard F Fuemmeler; Fiscal Year: 2011..qualitative methods to develop a quantitative survey to examine the relation that parent-child communication and parenting practices have on healthy dietary practices and physical activity...
- Neuroendocrine Control of Paternal Care in the Common MarmosetToni Elaine Ziegler; Fiscal Year: 2010..Poor parenting results in a number of pyschosocial disorders, such as neglect and abuse, which confound human health...
- Parent Focused Obesity Intervention for Low-Income African American PreschoolersHeather Janisse; Fiscal Year: 2013..weight during this time period through shaping food and activity choices, as well as via specific parenting practices and modeling of behaviors and attitudes...
- Adolescents'Long-Term Adaptation to Familial Cancer RisksKENNETH TERCYAK; Fiscal Year: 2013..Maternal cancer disturbs normal parenting routines, increases family stress, and contributes to stress among offspring...
- Feeding Styles and Responsiveness in Mothers with Eating DisordersELIZABETH RUTH HOFFMAN; Fiscal Year: 2012..compared to mothers with no history of eating disorders;2) to compare self-report of feeding style, parenting self-efficacy, and parenting stress in women with histories of eating disorders and healthy control mothers;and ..
- Military Family Foundations: Adapting an Evidence-based Family Prevention ProgramMARK ETHAN FEINBERG; Fiscal Year: 2013..promotes parental self-efficacy, reduces parental stress and depression, and has positive influence on parenting quality...
- Self-Regulation Failure, Disordered Eating and Overweight in YouthLORI ANNE FRANCIS; Fiscal Year: 2010..We will examine the influence of stressful family environments (e.g., harsh parenting practices, family chaos, and stressful life events), and neighborhood environments (e.g...
- Pain in Preterm Infants: Development and EffectsRuth E Grunau; Fiscal Year: 2012..as young as age 18 months, and internalizing is associated both with higher toddler basal cortisol and higher parenting stress in preterm, but not full-term toddlers...
- A Unique Natural Model for Studying the Mechanisms Underlying Social BehaviorDonna L Maney; Fiscal Year: 2013..and may therefore contribute toward the behavioral phenotype and thus to risk-taking, aggression, and parenting. These genes, which include a gonadal steroid receptor, a steroidogenic enzyme, and a serotonin receptor subtype,..
- Person x Environment: Parenting, Preadolescent Psychophysiology, and Peer StressKELLY MICHELLE TU; Fiscal Year: 2012..Parents typically recognize the challenges of peer relationships at this age, but parenting in the peer domain is surprisingly understudied, and many parents report uncertainty about how to help ..
- Nonmaternal Care, Role Strain, and Maternal Sensitivity in the First Three YearsKei Nomaguchi; Fiscal Year: 2012..nonmaternal care on child outcomes, but inadequate attention has been paid to the possibility that mothers'parenting may also be affected by nonmaternal care...
- Trajectories of Drugs Abuse in High Risk YouthLinda A Teplin; Fiscal Year: 2011..g., residential independence [including avoiding incarceration], employment, marriage, parenting, desistance from crime and violence). To analyze the longitudinal data, we will use summary statistics (e.g...
- Research Training in Intellectual DisabilitiesJohn G Borkowski; Fiscal Year: 2010..Our trainees are competent in basic research (e.g., cognition in individuals with retardation;parenting in high-risk mothers) and/or applied research (extending theoretically-driven treatment programs to homes and ..
- Emotion-Focused Intervention for Mothers and Children Under StressJoann Wu Shortt; Fiscal Year: 2010..Though there is some evidence that the impact of parent criminality on child maladjustment is mediated by parenting practices, there are few programs to promote positive parenting or support the reunification of incarcerated ..
- Predicting deficits in social competence for pediatric brain tumor survivorsKATHRYN A VANNATTA; Fiscal Year: 2013..e. parent-child relationship and parenting behavior, friendship quality, and school environment) that account for social competence...
- Obesity Education Campaign - a multimedia resource for parents and significant caHENRY WATTS; Fiscal Year: 2009..caregivers of children ages 3-5 that addresses this need by building knowledge, motivation, self-efficacy, and parenting and self- management skills around implementing a family-centered plan for promoting health and preventing ..
- The effect of antismoking parenting practices on adolescent smokingDaniel Rodriguez; Fiscal Year: 2009..One possibility is antismoking parenting. Parenting practices such as forbidding smoking indoors have been shown to reduce the likelihood of adolescent ..
- Discrimination, Parenting, & Resilience in Black YouthMIA S BYNUM; Fiscal Year: 2010..to test the individual and combined effects of dyadic mother-adolescent discussions about racial discrimination, parenting, and parent-adolescent communication in African American families on psychological disorders in African American ..
- Maternal behavior among Puerto Rican adolescent mothersJOSEFINA GRAU; Fiscal Year: 2009DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Remarkably little is known about factors related to parenting and child outcomes among Latina adolescent mothers...
- Cocaine, Self-Regulation, and Maternal/Child AggressionDenise Hien; Fiscal Year: 2003..However, we know very little about the specific mechanisms by which maternal crack/cocaine abuse leads to parenting deficits, abuse or neglect-or by which children of crack/cocaine-using mothers become aggressive or substance-..
- Effects of Prenatal Care on Pediatric Health CareNancy Reichman; Fiscal Year: 2009..of that pregnancy, but that it increases the use of pediatric health care or improves maternal health-related parenting practices and, ultimately, child health...
- Parent-Derived Measures of Parenting Competence for Low-Income African AmericansChristine McWayne; Fiscal Year: 2009..However, research on the link between parenting and child outcomes often has compared the parenting styles of White middle-class parents and ethnic minority low-..
- PARENTING, CULTURE, NEIGHBORHOODS & ANTISOCIAL BEHAVIORElizabeth Roberts; Fiscal Year: 2001..The following questions will guide the study: 1) To what extend does cultural influence the parenting strategies families choose, independent of other contextual forces? 2) Does culture, rather than socio-economic ..
- Investigation into meta-parentingGEORGE HOLDEN; Fiscal Year: 2005Meta-parenting is defined as parental thoughts concerning the child-rearing domain that typically occur before or after parent-child interactions...
- Violence Over Time: Growing Up & Parenting in PovertyLYDIA O DONNELL; Fiscal Year: 2006..as demonstrated by their ability to avoid violence with family members and others and to engage in pro-social parenting practices that are negatively associated with child maltreatment and the development of aggression in the next ..
- How Can Parents Get Their Kids to Eat More Fruits and Vegetables?Tom Baranowski; Fiscal Year: 2010..Food parenting practices have been demonstrated to influence children's FaV intake...
- Gambling: Effects on Native American Moms and ChildrenSandra Momper; Fiscal Year: 2005..both quantitative and qualitative methods to examine the relations between and among women's casino gambling, parenting in the home environment, parenting self-efficacy beliefs, social supports, and child behavior problems in a ..
- Divorced Fathering: Testing A Social Interaction ModelDavid DeGarmo; Fiscal Year: 2005..Unfortunately, fathers tend to disengage in parenting roles over time...
- Working Models for Care of Infants with a Heart DefectKaren Pridham; Fiscal Year: 2006..of infants with a complex congenital heart defect (CCHD) are likely to encounter new, complex, and intense parenting responsibilities during the infant's first year...
- Nursing Support Intervention for Mothers of PrematuresDiane Holditch Davis; Fiscal Year: 2005..to service usage, the mothers' emotional distress from the infant's birth and hospitalization, and resultant parenting styles that may be less facilitative of infant development...
- Preventing Child Neglect in High-Risk MothersJohn Borkowski; Fiscal Year: 2007..maltreatment, in terms of neglect and abuse, in high-risk mothers by helping them to create new mental models of parenting and new parenting styles and practices; 400 mothers will participate at 4 research sites...
- Improving Access to Early Parent Education and SupportCAROL METZLER; Fiscal Year: 2006..the first 3 years, children's long-term developmental trajectories are established, and the quality of parenting the child receives on a daily basis profoundly influences these trajectories...
- Defining Fatherhood Among Drug Dependent MenSusan Witte; Fiscal Year: 2004The proposed R03 (PA 99-113) is designed to examine parenting attitudes and behaviors among African American and Latino fathers attending methadone maintenance treatment programs (MMTPs), and to explore how parenting attitudes and ..
- Parenting Your Young Child with Autism: A Web-Based TutorialKenneth Kobak; Fiscal Year: 2010..The program consists of 12 sessions and has the dual goals of improving interactions and parenting effectiveness while at the same time improving the core deficits and long term outcomes in the child...