Genomes and Genes
Summary: Success in bringing an effort to the desired end; the degree or level of success attained in some specified area (esp. scholastic) or in general.
Publications342 found, 100 shown here
- Individual differences in non-verbal number acuity correlate with maths achievementJustin Halberda
Johns Hopkins University, Ames Hall, 3400 North Charles Street, Baltimore, Maryland 21218, USA
Nature 455:665-8. 2008..that these individual differences in the present correlate with children's past scores on standardized maths achievement tests, extending all the way back to kindergarten...
- Mapping numerical magnitudes onto symbols: the numerical distance effect and individual differences in children's mathematics achievementIan D Holloway
Numerical Cognition Laboratory, Department of Psychology, University of Western Ontario, Ontario N6A 5C2, Canada
J Exp Child Psychol 103:17-29. 2009..To address these questions, we collected mathematics achievement measures from 6- to 8-year-olds as well as reaction times from a numerical comparison task...
- Manganese exposure from drinking water and children's academic achievementKhalid Khan
Columbia University Mailman School of Public Health, Department of Environmental Health Sciences, United States
Neurotoxicology 33:91-7. 2012..Although adverse effects of Mn on cognitive function of the children indicate possible impact on their academic achievement little evidence on this issue is available...
- Increased structure and active learning reduce the achievement gap in introductory biologyDavid C Haak
Department of Biology, Box 351800, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
Science 332:1213-6. 2011..To date, programs that close the achievement gap between students from disadvantaged versus nondisadvantaged educational backgrounds have required extensive ..
- Cross-national patterns of gender differences in mathematics: a meta-analysisNicole M Else-Quest
Villanova University, Department of Psychology, 800 Lancaster Avenue, Villanova, PA 19085, USA
Psychol Bull 136:103-27. 2010A gender gap in mathematics achievement persists in some nations but not in others...
- Cognitive predictors of achievement growth in mathematics: a 5-year longitudinal studyDavid C Geary
University of Missouri, Columbia, MO 65211 2500, USA
Dev Psychol 47:1539-52. 2011The study's goal was to identify the beginning of 1st grade quantitative competencies that predict mathematics achievement start point and growth through 5th grade...
- A brief social-belonging intervention improves academic and health outcomes of minority studentsGregory M Walton
Department of Psychology, Stanford University, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
Science 331:1447-51. 2011..raised African Americans' grade-point average (GPA) relative to multiple control groups and halved the minority achievement gap...
- The relation of adiposity to cognitive control and scholastic achievement in preadolescent childrenKeita Kamijo
Department of Kinesiology and Community Health, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, Champaign, Illinois, USA
Obesity (Silver Spring) 20:2406-11. 2012..status to cognition in preadolescent children using a comprehensive assessment of cognitive control, academic achievement, and measures of adiposity...
- The predictive value of numerical magnitude comparison for individual differences in mathematics achievementBert De Smedt
Center for Parenting, Child Welfare, and Disabilities, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
J Exp Child Psychol 103:469-79. 2009Although it has been proposed that the ability to compare numerical magnitudes is related to mathematics achievement, it is not clear whether this ability predicts individual differences in later mathematics achievement...
- Preschool executive functioning abilities predict early mathematics achievementCaron A C Clark
Canterbury Child Development Research Group, Department of Psychology, University of Canterbury, Christchurch, NewZealand
Dev Psychol 46:1176-91. 2010..However, the utility and specificity of preschool executive function abilities in predicting later mathematical achievement are poorly understood...
- School readiness and later achievementGreg J Duncan
School of Education and Social Policy, Northwestern University, Evanston, IL 60208, USA
Dev Psychol 43:1428-46. 2007..readiness--school-entry academic, attention, and socioemotional skills--and later school reading and math achievement. In an effort to isolate the effects of these school-entry skills, the authors ensured that most of their ..
- Impact of executive function deficits and attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) on academic outcomes in childrenJoseph Biederman
Pediatric Psychopharmacology Unit, Psychiatry Department, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA 02114, USA
J Consult Clin Psychol 72:757-66. 2004..ADHD with EFDs was associated with an increased risk for grade retention and a decrease in academic achievement relative to (a) ADHD alone, (b) controlled socioeconomic status, (c) learning disabilities, and (d) IQ...
- A 2 X 2 achievement goal frameworkA J Elliot
Department of Clinical and Social Sciences in Psychology, University of Rochester, New York 14627 0266, USA
J Pers Soc Psychol 80:501-19. 2001A 2 x 2 achievement goal framework comprising mastery-approach, mastery-avoidance, performance-approach, and performance-avoidance goals was proposed and tested in 3 studies...
- Individual differences in inhibitory control, not non-verbal number acuity, correlate with mathematics achievementCamilla Gilmore
Mathematics Education Centre, Loughborough University, United Kingdom
PLoS ONE 8:e67374. 2013..societies, there has been an increased interest in understanding the cognitive underpinnings of mathematical achievement. Recent research has proposed the existence of an Approximate Number System (ANS) which allows individuals to ..
- Learner-centered inquiry in undergraduate biology: positive relationships with long-term student achievementTerry L Derting
Department of Biological Sciences, Murray State University, KY 42071, USA
CBE Life Sci Educ 9:462-72. 2010..Studies that determine causal effects of learner-centered inquiry-based approaches, rather than correlative relationships, are needed to test our proposed explanation...
- A question of belonging: race, social fit, and achievementGregory M Walton
Department of Psychology, Yale University, USA
J Pers Soc Psychol 92:82-96. 2007..Two experiments tested how belonging uncertainty undermines the motivation and achievement of people whose group is negatively characterized in academic settings...
- Exploring the impact of phonological awareness, visual-spatial working memory, and preschool quantity-number competencies on mathematics achievement in elementary school: findings from a 3-year longitudinal studyKristin Krajewski
German Institute of International Educational Research, Frankfurt, Germany
J Exp Child Psychol 103:516-31. 2009..awareness, working memory, and quantity-number competencies (QNC) for predicting mathematical school achievement in third graders (mean age 8 years 8 months)...
- Chaotic homes and school achievement: a twin studyKen B Hanscombe
King s College London, MRC Social, Genetic and Developmental Psychiatry Centre, Institute of Psychiatry, London, UK
J Child Psychol Psychiatry 52:1212-20. 2011..Given that it is known that genes affect both children's experience of household chaos and their school achievement, to what extent is the relationship between high levels of noise and environmental confusion in the home, and ..
- Approximate number sense, symbolic number processing, or number-space mappings: what underlies mathematics achievement?Delphine Sasanguie
Laboratory of Experimental Psychology, KU Leuven, B 3000 Leuven, Belgium Subfaculty of Psychology and Educational Sciences, KU Leuven Kulak, B 8500 Kortrijk, Belgium
J Exp Child Psychol 114:418-31. 2013..Math achievement was measured with a timed arithmetic test and with a general curriculum-based math test to address the ..
- Predicting arithmetical achievement from neuro-psychological performance: a longitudinal studyM Fayol
LAPSCO CNRS Univerité Blaise Pascal, Clermont Ferrand, France
Cognition 68:B63-70. 1998....
- Health behaviour and academic achievement in Icelandic school childrenInga Dora Sigfusdottir
Icelandic Centre for Social Research nalysis, School of Health and Education, Reykjavik University, Ofanleiti 2, 103 Reykjavik, Iceland
Health Educ Res 22:70-80. 2007Interest in the relationship between health behaviours and academic achievement has recently intensified in the face of an epidemic of childhood and adolescent obesity and converging school reforms in the United States and other nations ..
- Short-term memory, working memory, and executive functioning in preschoolers: longitudinal predictors of mathematical achievement at age 7 yearsRebecca Bull
School of Psychology, University of Aberdeen, Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Dev Neuropsychol 33:205-28. 2008..memory, working memory, and executive functioning in preschool children predict later proficiency in academic achievement at 7 years of age (third year of primary school)...
- Iron deficiency and cognitive achievement among school-aged children and adolescents in the United StatesJ S Halterman
Department of Pediatrics, University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry, NY, USA
Pediatrics 107:1381-6. 2001Iron deficiency anemia in infants can cause developmental problems. However, the relationship between iron status and cognitive achievement in older children is less clear.
- Association between basic numerical abilities and mathematics achievementDelphine Sasanguie
Department of Psychology, University of Leuven, Belgium
Br J Dev Psychol 30:344-57. 2012..measures of number representation are related to performance on a curriculum-based standardized mathematics achievement test in kindergarteners, first, second, and sixth graders...
- Physical fitness and academic achievement in third- and fifth-grade studentsDarla M Castelli
Department of Kinesiology and Community Health, University of Illinois, Urbana, IL, USA
J Sport Exerc Psychol 29:239-52. 2007The relationship between physical fitness and academic achievement has received much attention owing to the increasing prevalence of children who are overweight and unfit, as well as the inescapable pressure on schools to produce ..
- Scholastic achievement at age 16 and risk of schizophrenia and other psychoses: a national cohort studyJ H MacCabe
Department of Psychiatry, Institute of Psychiatry, King s College London, London, UK
Psychol Med 38:1133-40. 2008..We investigated whether school performance at age 16 is associated with risk of adult schizophrenia and other psychoses in a large national cohort, while controlling for multiple confounders...
- Rapid achievement of the child survival millennium development goal: evidence from the Navrongo experiment in Northern GhanaFred N Binka
School of Public Health, University of Ghana, Legon, Ghana
Trop Med Int Health 12:578-83. 2007..To determine the impact of deploying nurses and volunteers to village locations on demographic and health outcomes...
- A meta-analytic review of achievement goal measures: different labels for the same constructs or different constructs with similar labels?Chris S Hulleman
Department of Graduate Psychology and Center for Assessment and Research Studies, 821 S Main St, James Madison University, Harrisonburg, VA 22807, USA
Psychol Bull 136:422-49. 2010This meta-analysis addresses whether achievement goal researchers are using different labels for the same constructs or putting the same labels on different constructs...
- The approximate number system and its relation to early math achievement: evidence from the preschool yearsJustin W Bonny
Department of Psychology, Emory University, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
J Exp Child Psychol 114:375-88. 2013..Testing children across the preschool period, we found that ANS precision correlated with early math achievement but, critically, that this relation was nonlinear...
- Self-discipline outdoes IQ in predicting academic performance of adolescentsAngela L Duckworth
Positive Psychology Center, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Psychol Sci 16:939-44. 2005..report, and monetary choice questionnaires in the fall predicted final grades, school attendance, standardized achievement-test scores, and selection into a competitive high school program the following spring...
- Gender, culture, and sex-typed cognitive abilitiesDavid Reilly
School of Applied Psychology, Griffith University, Southport, Queensland, Australia
PLoS ONE 7:e39904. 2012..Educational and societal implications of such gender gaps are addressed, as well as the mechanisms by which gender differences in cognitive abilities are culturally mediated...
- Breakfast and the achievement gap among urban minority youthCharles E Basch
Department of Health and Behavior Studies, Teachers College, Columbia University, 525 West 120th Street, New York, NY 10027, USA
J Sch Health 81:635-40. 2011..of breakfast consumption among school-aged urban minority youth, causal pathways through which skipping breakfast adversely affects academic achievement, and proven or promising approaches for schools to increase breakfast consumption.
- Physical activity and obesity mediate the association between childhood motor function and adolescents' academic achievementMarko T Kantomaa
LIKES Research Center for Sport and Health Sciences, FI 40720 Jyväskylä, Finland
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 110:1917-22. 2013..and physical inactivity may have detrimental implications for young people's cognitive function and academic achievement. This prospective study investigated whether childhood motor function predicts later academic achievement via ..
- Adolescents' functional numeracy is predicted by their school entry number system knowledgeDavid C Geary
Department of Psychological Sciences, University of Missouri, Columbia, Missouri, USA
PLoS ONE 8:e54651. 2013..kindergarten and participated in multiple assessments of intelligence, working memory, mathematical cognition, achievement, and in-class attentive behavior...
- Do different types of school mathematics development depend on different constellations of numerical versus general cognitive abilities?Lynn S Fuchs
Department of Special Education, Peabody College, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN 37203, USA
Dev Psychol 46:1731-46. 2010..Language, attentive behavior, nonverbal problem solving, and listening span were uniquely predictive...
- Reducing the gender achievement gap in college science: a classroom study of values affirmationAkira Miyake
Department of Psychology and Neuroscience, University of Colorado at Boulder, Boulder, CO, USA
Science 330:1234-7. 2010..tested the effectiveness of a psychological intervention, called values affirmation, in reducing the gender achievement gap in a college-level introductory physics class...
- Physical education, obesity, and academic achievement: a 2-year longitudinal investigation of Australian elementary school childrenRichard D Telford
Medical School, Australian National University, Canberra, Australia
Am J Public Health 102:368-74. 2012..We determined whether physical education (PE) taught by specialists contributed to academic development and prevention of obesity in elementary school children...
- Explicit and implicit second language training differentially affect the achievement of native-like brain activation patternsKara Morgan-Short
Department of Hispanic and Italian Studies, University of Illinois at Chicago, 1706 University Hall, MC 315, 601 S Morgan St, Chicago, IL 60607, USA
J Cogn Neurosci 24:933-47. 2012..Overall, the results suggest that adult foreign language learners can come to rely on native-like language brain mechanisms, but that the conditions under which the language is learned may be crucial in attaining this goal...
- The effects of physical activity and physical fitness on children's achievement and cognitive outcomes: a meta-analysisAlicia L Fedewa
Department of Educational, School, and Counseling Psychology, University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY 40506, USA
Res Q Exerc Sport 82:521-35. 2011..However; the relationship between children's physical activity and academic achievement has been debated in the literature...
- Recursive processes in self-affirmation: intervening to close the minority achievement gapGeoffrey L Cohen
Department of Psychology, University of Colorado, Muenzinger Psychology Building, Boulder, CO 80309 0345, USA
Science 324:400-3. 2009..of brief but structured writing assignments focusing students on a self-affirming value, reduced the racial achievement gap. Over 2 years, the grade point average (GPA) of African Americans was, on average, raised by 0...
- Association between television, movie, and video game exposure and school performanceIman Sharif
Department of Pediatrics, Children s Hospital at Montefiore Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, New York 10467, USA
Pediatrics 118:e1061-70. 2006..The relationship between media exposure and school performance has not been studied extensively in adolescents...
- Developmental and individual differences in pure numerical estimationJulie L Booth
Department of Psychology, Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Dev Psychol 42:189-201. 2006..individual differences across tasks were also apparent, and all types of estimation skill were positively related to math achievement test scores. Implications for understanding of mathematics learning in general are discussed.
- Inside the brain of an elite athlete: the neural processes that support high achievement in sportsKielan Yarrow
Department of Psychology, City University London, Northampton Square, London, EC1V OHB, UK
Nat Rev Neurosci 10:585-96. 2009..In this way we hope to inspire neuroscientists to consider how their basic research might help to explain sporting skill at the highest levels of performance...
- Sex differences in stress responses: social rejection versus achievement stressLaura R Stroud
Brown University Centers for Behavioral and Preventive Medicine, Providence, Rhode Island 02903, USA
Biol Psychiatry 52:318-27. 2002..In particular, we predicted that women would show greater responses to social rejection stressors, whereas men would demonstrate greater responses to achievement stressors.
- Decreased latent inhibition is associated with increased creative achievement in high-functioning individualsShelley H Carson
Department of Psychology, Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138, USA
J Pers Soc Psychol 85:499-506. 2003..achievers (participants under 21 years who reported unusually high scores in a single domain of creative achievement) were 7 times more likely to have low rather than high LI scores, chi2 (1, N = 25) = 10.69, phi = .47. p = .003.
- Reducing the racial achievement gap: a social-psychological interventionGeoffrey L Cohen
Department of Psychology, University of Colorado, Muenzinger Psychology Building, Boulder, CO 80309 0345, USA
Science 313:1307-10. 2006..writing assignment, significantly improved the grades of African American students and reduced the racial achievement gap by 40%...
- Academic achievement varies with gestational age among children born at termKimberly G Noble
Department of Pediatrics, Columbia University, 630 W 168th St, P and S Box 16, New York, NY 10033, USA
Pediatrics 130:e257-64. 2012The goal of this study was to examine the degree to which children born within the "normal term" range of 37 to 41 weeks' gestation vary in terms of school achievement.
- Reading achievement in relation to phonological coding and awareness in deaf readers: a meta-analysisRachel I Mayberry
Department of Linguistics, University of California San Diego, 9500 Gilman Drive, La Jolla, CA 92093 0108, USA
J Deaf Stud Deaf Educ 16:164-88. 2011..These meta-analytic results indicate that PCA skills are a low to moderate predictor of reading achievement in deaf individuals and that other factors, most notably language ability, have a greater influence on reading ..
- Can learning style predict student satisfaction with different instruction methods and academic achievement in medical education?Erol Gurpinar
Department of Medical Education, Akdeniz University, Dumlupinar Bulvari Campus, Antalya 07040, Turkey
Adv Physiol Educ 34:192-6. 2010..the relation of learning styles with each of satisfaction with different instruction methods and academic achievement in them...
- A longitudinal examination of the link between youth physical fitness and academic achievementRebecca A London
John W Gardner Center for Youth and Their Communities, Stanford University, CA 94305, USA
J Sch Health 81:400-8. 2011..This article tracks students longitudinally to examine the ways student physical fitness and changes in fitness align with school performance...
- Effects of collaborative group composition and inquiry instruction on reasoning gains and achievement in undergraduate biologyJamie Lee Jensen
Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ 85287, USA
CBE Life Sci Educ 10:64-73. 2011..compared the effectiveness of collaborative group composition and instructional method on reasoning gains and achievement in college biology. Based on initial student reasoning ability (i.e...
- Relating emotional intelligence to social competence and academic achievement in high school studentsPaloma Gil-Olarte Márquez
University of Cadiz, Spain
Psicothema 18:118-23. 2006..Most of the findings remained significant after personality and academic intelligence were statistically controlled. The potential utility of EI in the context of academic institutions is discussed...
- Faking the desire to learn: a clarification of the link between mastery goals and academic achievementBenoît Dompnier
Pierre Mendes France University
Psychol Sci 20:939-43. 2009Research on achievement goals has demonstrated that mastery goals positively impact achievement-related outcomes, but paradoxically hold an inconsistent relation with academic achievement...
- Adolescent mental health, behavior problems, and academic achievementJane D McLeod
Indiana University, Bloomington, IN 47405, USA
J Health Soc Behav 53:482-97. 2012Prior research on the association of mental health and behavior problems with academic achievement is limited because it does not consider multiple problems simultaneously, take co-occurring problems into account, and control for ..
- The remote, the mouse, and the no. 2 pencil: the household media environment and academic achievement among third grade studentsDina L G Borzekowski
Department of Population and Family Health Sciences, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 159:607-13. 2005Media can influence aspects of a child's physical, social, and cognitive development; however, the associations between a child's household media environment, media use, and academic achievement have yet to be determined.
- Achievement goal promotion at university: social desirability and social utility of mastery and performance goalsCéline Darnon
Laboratoire de Psychologie Sociale et Cognitive, Universite Blaise Pascal, Clermont Ferrand, France
J Pers Soc Psychol 96:119-34. 2009The present research examines the ambivalence of achievement goal promotion at university, and more specifically in the psychology curriculum...
- Self-efficacy beliefs as shapers of children's aspirations and career trajectoriesA Bandura
Department of Psychology, Stanford University, CA 94305 2130, USA
Child Dev 72:187-206. 2001..Children's perceived efficacy rather than their actual academic achievement is the key determinant of their perceived occupational self-efficacy and preferred choice of worklife...
- The gender similarities hypothesisJanet Shibley Hyde
University of Wisconsin Madison, Department of Psychology, Madison, WI 53706, USA
Am Psychol 60:581-92. 2005..Overinflated claims of gender differences carry substantial costs in areas such as the workplace and relationships...
- Early predictors of high school mathematics achievementRobert S Siegler
Carnegie Mellon University Psychology, 5000 Forbes Ave, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Psychol Sci 23:691-7. 2012..we examined long-term predictors of high school students' knowledge of algebra and overall mathematics achievement. Analyses of large, nationally representative, longitudinal data sets from the United States and the United ..
- Unexpected improvement, decline, and stasis: a prediction confidence perspective on achievement success and failureJason E Plaks
Department of Psychology, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Pers Soc Psychol 93:667-84. 2007..The authors discuss the implications of these findings for the literature on achievement success and failure.
- Can we predict mathematical learning disabilities from symbolic and non-symbolic comparison tasks in kindergarten? Findings from a longitudinal studyAnnemie Desoete
University Ghent, Belgium
Br J Educ Psychol 82:64-81. 2012The ability to compare numbers, as the most basic form of number sense, has been related to arithmetical achievement.
- Media use and school achievement--boys at risk?Thomas Mössle
Criminological Research Institute of Lower Saxony, Hannover, Germany
Br J Dev Psychol 28:699-725. 2010..By presenting first results of a school-based intervention programme, a promising approach to the reduction of detrimental effects of electronic media use on school performance is introduced...
- Diversity. Gender similarities characterize math performanceJanet S Hyde
Department of Psychology, University of Wisconsin, 1202 West Johnson Street, Madison, WI 53706, USA
Science 321:494-5. 2008
- Second-year medical students' motivational beliefs, emotions, and achievementAnthony R Artino
Department of Preventive Medicine and Biometrics, Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, 4301 Jones Bridge Road, Bethesda, MD 20814 4712, USA
Med Educ 44:1203-12. 2010..These affective factors have received less emphasis in the medical education literature...
- College students with and without ADHD: comparison of self-report of medication usage, study habits, and academic achievementClaire Advokat
Department of Psychology, Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, LA 70803, USA
J Atten Disord 15:656-66. 2011To examine the relationship between ADHD medications, study habits, and academic achievement of ADHD-diagnosed undergraduates.
- Can achievement emotions be used to better understand motivation, learning, and performance in medical education?Anthony R Artino
Department of Preventive Medicine and Biometrics, Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, Bethesda, MD 20814 4712, USA
Med Teach 34:240-4. 2012..The overarching purpose of the article is to introduce medical education researchers to the notion of achievement emotions and provide a brief overview of how this work can inform the theory, research, and practice of medical ..
- Diversity. Gender similarities in mathematics and scienceJanet Shibley Hyde
Department of Psychology, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI 53706, USA
Science 314:599-600. 2006
- Predicting the academic achievement of gifted students with autism spectrum disorderSusan G Assouline
Department of Quantitative and Psychological Foundations, College of Education, The University of Iowa, 600 Blank Honors Center, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
J Autism Dev Disord 42:1781-9. 2012We are not well informed regarding the ability-achievement relationship for twice-exceptional individuals (very high cognitive ability and a diagnosed disability, e.g., autism spectrum disorder [ASD])...
- Sleep disturbances and teacher ratings of school achievement and temperament in childrenOliviero Bruni
Department of Developmental Neurology and Psychiatry, Center for Pediatric Sleep Disorders, University of Rome La Sapienza, Via dei Sabelli 108, 00185 Rome, Italy
Sleep Med 7:43-8. 2006The current study examined the relationships between academic achievement, sleep, temperament and demographic-historical data in school-age children.
- Childhood and adolescent hyperactivity-inattention symptoms and academic achievement 8 years later: the GAZEL Youth studyC Galera
Child Psychiatry Department, Charles Perrens Hospital, University Victor Segalen Bordeaux 2, Bordeaux, France
Psychol Med 39:1895-906. 2009..study examined the link between childhood hyperactivity-inattention symptoms (HI-s) and subsequent academic achievement in a community setting, controlling for other behavioural symptoms, socio-economic status (SES) and ..
- Behaviour and school achievement in patients with early and continuously treated phenylketonuriaB A Stemerdink
Department of Developmental, State University Groningen, The Netherlands
J Inherit Metab Dis 23:548-62. 2000..and educational level of both parents, on behaviour rating scales for parents and teachers as well as a school achievement scale...
- Ten-year follow-up of children born before 29 gestational weeks: health, cognitive development, behaviour and school achievementK Stjernqvist
Department of Psychology, Lund University, Sweden
Acta Paediatr 88:557-62. 1999..Health, cognitive development, school achievement and behaviour were measured...
- Modeling a cascade of effects: the role of speed and executive functioning in preterm/full-term differences in academic achievementSusan A Rose
Department of Pediatrics, Kennedy Center, Albert Einstein College of Medicine Children s Hospital at Montefiore, Bronx, NY 10461, USA
Dev Sci 14:1161-75. 2011..In the best-fitting structural equation model, the negative effects of prematurity on achievement were completely mediated by the three executive functions and speed in a cascade of effects: prematurity → ..
- The predictive validity of the MCAT for medical school performance and medical board licensing examinations: a meta-analysis of the published researchTyrone Donnon
Medical Education and Research Unit, Department of Community Health Sciences, Faculty of Medicine, University of Calgary, Calgary, Canada
Acad Med 82:100-6. 2007..To conduct a meta-analysis of published studies to determine the predictive validity of the MCAT on medical school performance and medical board licensing examinations...
- Pathways to mathematics: longitudinal predictors of performanceJo Anne LeFevre
Institute of Cognitive Science, Carleton University, Ottawa, ON, Canada
Child Dev 81:1753-67. 2010..The success of the model in accounting for performance highlights the need to understand the fundamental underlying skills that contribute to diverse forms of mathematical competence...
- Social inequality in educational achievement and psychosocial adjustment throughout childhood: magnitude and mechanismsAmanda Sacker
Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, Royal Free and University College London Medical School, UK
Soc Sci Med 55:863-80. 2002..and physical environments in which children are raised affects their resources in the domains of educational achievement and psychosocial adjustment...
- Self-esteem and the cognitive accessibility of strengths and weaknesses after failureP G Dodgson
Department of Psychology, University of Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
J Pers Soc Psychol 75:178-97. 1998..In contrast, LSEs' weaknesses appeared to become especially accessible after failure. These results have implications for the mood-congruent cognition and self-esteem literatures...
- Environmental contributors to the achievement gapMarie Lynn Miranda
Children s Environmental Health Initiative, Nicholas School of the Environment, Duke University, Durham, NC 27708, USA
Neurotoxicology 30:1019-24. 2009..Environmental exposures may contribute to the observed achievement gap. In particular, childhood lead exposure has been linked to a number of adverse cognitive outcomes...
- Effects of cochlear implants on children's reading and academic achievementMarc Marschark
National Technical Institute for the Deaf Rochester Institute of Technology, 52 Lomb Memorial Drive, Rochester, NY 14623, USA
J Deaf Stud Deaf Educ 12:269-82. 2007This article presents a critical analysis of empirical studies assessing literacy and other domains of academic achievement among children with cochlear implants...
- Prenatal marijuana and alcohol exposure and academic achievement at age 10Lidush Goldschmidt
Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, 3811 O Hara Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Neurotoxicol Teratol 26:521-32. 2004The effects of prenatal marijuana and alcohol exposure on school achievement at 10 years of age were examined...
- Toward a science of exceptional achievement: attaining superior performance through deliberate practiceK Anders Ericsson
Department of Psychology, Florida State University, Tallahassee, Florida, USA
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1172:199-217. 2009....
- Teacher expectations, classroom context, and the achievement gapClark McKown
Department of Psychology, University of Illinois, Chicago, Illinois 60607 7137, USA
J Sch Psychol 46:235-61. 2008..deviations higher than teacher expectations of African American and Latino students with similar records of achievement. In highly diverse low-PDT classrooms in Study 1 and highly diverse low-PDT mixed-grade classrooms in Study 2, ..
- Does money really matter? Estimating impacts of family income on young children's achievement with data from random-assignment experimentsGreg J Duncan
Department of Education, University of California Irvine, Irvine, CA, USA
Dev Psychol 47:1263-79. 2011Social scientists do not agree on the size and nature of the causal impacts of parental income on children's achievement. We revisit this issue using a set of welfare and antipoverty experiments conducted in the 1990s...
- Explaining individual differences in scholastic behaviour and achievementK V Petrides
Institute of Education, University of London, UK
Br J Educ Psychol 75:239-55. 2005This paper presents results from the first wave of a longitudinal study examining the effects of various psychosocial variables on scholastic achievement and behaviour at school.
- The relationship of school absenteeism with body mass index, academic achievement, and socioeconomic status among fourth-grade childrenSuzanne D Baxter
Institute for Families in Society, University of South Carolina, Columbia, USA
J Sch Health 81:417-23. 2011..the South Carolina Budget and Control Board Office of Research and Statistics (ORS) to investigate the relationships of children's school absenteeism with body mass index (BMI), academic achievement, and socioeconomic status (SES).
- Longitudinal study of relations between school achievement and smoking behavior among secondary school students in Finland: results of the ESFA studyMarjaana Pennanen
National Institute for Health and Welfare, Mannerheimintie, Helsinki, Finland
Subst Use Misuse 46:569-79. 2011The aim of this study was to explore a longitudinal bi-directional relationship between school achievement and smoking behavior. The sample consists of 2,188 Finnish students in grades 7-9...
- Long-term cognition, achievement, socioemotional, and behavioral development of healthy late-preterm infantsMatthew J Gurka
Department of Public Health Sciences, University of Virginia School of Medicine, Charlottesville, VA 22908 0717, USA
Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 164:525-32. 2010To compare healthy late-preterm infants with their full-term counterparts from age 4 through 15 years for numerous standard cognitive, achievement, socioemotional, and behavioral outcomes.
- School readiness and later achievement: replication and extension using a nationwide Canadian surveyElisa Romano
School of Psychology, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario, K1N 6N5, Canada
Dev Psychol 46:995-1007. 2010..Similar to Duncan et al., (a) math skills were the strongest predictor of later achievement, (b) literacy and attention skills predicted later achievement, and (c) socioemotional behaviors did not ..
- Personality and the goal-striving process: the influence of achievement goal patterns, goal level, and mental focus on performance and enjoymentFelissa K Lee
Department of Management, University of Missouri Columbia 65211, USA
J Appl Psychol 88:256-65. 2003..theory (autonomy, control, and amotivated orientations) influence performance and enjoyment through achievement goal patterns, goal level, and mental focus. Data were collected from 284 students at 5 points in time...
- Developmental cascades: linking academic achievement and externalizing and internalizing symptoms over 20 yearsAnn S Masten
Institute of Child Development, University of Minnesota, Twin Cities, Minneapolis, 55455, USA
Dev Psychol 41:733-46. 2005..Implications are discussed for developmental models of cascades, progressions, and preventive interventions...
- Beginning school with asthma independently predicts low achievement in a prospective cohort of childrenKathleen A Liberty
Health Sciences Centre, University of Canterbury, Christchurch, New Zealand
Chest 138:1349-55. 2010Concerns about the achievement of children with asthma and respiratory conditions are especially important in New Zealand, which has one of the world's highest rates of childhood asthma...
- School readiness and later achievement: a French Canadian replication and extensionLinda S Pagani
School Environment Research Group and Centre de Recherche de l Hôpital Sainte Justine, Universite de Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Dev Psychol 46:984-94. 2010..characteristics underlying kindergarten school readiness and second grade math, reading, and general achievement. We then extended this school readiness model by including motor skills as an additional element in the ..
- Substance use and misuse among 17- to 18-year-old Croatian adolescents: correlation with scholastic variables and sport factorsToni Modric
Faculty of Kinesiology, University of Split, Split, Croatia
Subst Use Misuse 46:1328-34. 2011..SUM) and the relation to physical activity/exercise/athletic participation (sport factors) and scholastic achievement are rarely studied in Croatia...
- Physical activity and the achievement gap among urban minority youthCharles E Basch
Department of Health and Behavior Studies, Teachers College, Columbia University, 525 West 120th Street, New York, NY 10027, USA
J Sch Health 81:626-34. 2011..youth, causal pathways through which low levels of physical activity and fitness adversely affects academic achievement, and proven or promising approaches for schools to increase physical activity and physical fitness among youth.
- ADHD and achievement: meta-analysis of the child, adolescent, and adult literatures and a concomitant study with college studentsThomas W Frazier
Section of Behavioral Medicine, The Cleveland Clinic, Shaker Medical Campus, OH 44104, USA
J Learn Disabil 40:49-65. 2007..The first study conducted a meta-analysis of the published literature since 1990 to determine the magnitude of achievement problems associated with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)...
- Gender and achievement in clinical medical students: a path analysisD M de Saintonge
Clinical Skills Centre, Department of Medical and Dental Education, St Bartholomew's and the Royal London Hospital School of Medicine Hospital, London, UK
Med Educ 35:1024-33. 2001..The purpose of this study was to discover how these interactions determined achievement. METHODS: A longitudinal study examined students on their first clinical firms...
- Nonsymbolic numerical magnitude comparison: reliability and validity of different task variants and outcome measures, and their relationship to arithmetic achievement in adultsGavin R Price
Numerical Cognition Laboratory, Department of Psychology, The University of Western Ontario, London, ON, N6A 2K7, Canada
Acta Psychol (Amst) 140:50-7. 2012..employed yet it is currently unclear how these affect metrics of ANS acuity, and how these relate to arithmetic achievement. The present study investigates the reliability, validity and relationship to standardized measures of ..
- Achievement goals, competition appraisals, and the well- and ill-being of elite youth soccer players over two competitive seasonsJames W Adie
Department of Psychology, Liverpool Hope University, Liverpool, UK
J Sport Exerc Psychol 32:555-79. 2010Grounded in the 2 x 2 achievement goal framework (Elliot & McGregor, 2001), the purpose of this study was to investigate the temporal relationships between achievement goals, competition appraisals and indices of psychological and ..
- Change in teachers' ratings of attention problems and subsequent change in academic achievement: a prospective analysisN Breslau
Department of Epidemiology, Michigan State University, College of Human Medicine, East Lansing, MI 48824, USA
Psychol Med 40:159-66. 2010Recent research has documented a link between attention problems at school entry and later academic achievement. Little is known about the association of change in attention problems during the early school years with subsequent change ..
- Relation of achievement motives, satisfaction with life, happiness and oral health in Romanian university studentsAlexandrina Lizica Dumitrescu
Institute of Clinical Dentistry, Faculty of Medicine, University of Tromsø, 9037 Tromsø, Norway
Oral Health Prev Dent 8:15-22. 2010The objective of the present study was to investigate whether achievement motives, satisfaction with life and happiness are associated with oral health behaviour and perceived gingival status.
- Ambitious mothers--successful daughters: mothers' early expectations for children's education and children's earnings and sense of control in adult lifeEirini Flouri
Department of Psychology and Human Development, Institute of Education, University of London, London, UK
Br J Educ Psychol 78:411-33. 2008....
- Novel TIRF microscopy analyzing trafficking & signaling at the cell cortexDerek Toomre; Fiscal Year: 2009..Consistent with the recovery act's goal, this funding will provide full-time summer employment for 4 undergraduate students and accelerate scientific achievement of the parent DP2 award.
- Sex Steroid Hormone Regulation of Drug ReinforcementDiane Lebesgue; Fiscal Year: 2012..These experiences will facilitate achievement of my long term career objective, to conduct research in my own laboratory as a faculty member at a university ..
- INTERNET ENHANCED HEALTH PROMOTION FOR OBESE ETHNIC MINORITY ADOLESCENTSJessica A Whiteley; Fiscal Year: 2011..be able to test whether or not the addition of the in-person and Internet behavioral coaching assists in the achievement and maintenance of a reduction in body fat via promotion of physical activity and a reduction in sedentary time...
- Prevention of Inherited Retinal Diseases by Therapeutic Rare Earth NanoparticlesJAMES FRANCIS MCGINNIS; Fiscal Year: 2010..The successful achievement of our objectives should be directly relevant to most forms of inherited blindness in mice...
- Regulation of vaccine-induced anti-fungal T17 cellsMARCEL WUETHRICH; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Vaccines against infectious disease have been hailed as the greatest achievement in public health over the last century...
- A Rodent Model to Study Links Among Diet, Visceral Adipose and CardiomyopathyMELINDA ANN FRYE; Fiscal Year: 2013..With this solid foundation, Dr. Frye would devote the latter 3 years to achievement of stated aims, development of advanced skills, fostering collaboration, publication, and transition to ..
- Epidemiology and Etiology of Hospitalized Pneumonia in ChildrenKrow Ampofo; Fiscal Year: 2010..The successful achievement of these Specific Aims will allow us to determine the incidence and etiology of pediatric hospitalized ..
- Targeting thermoreceptors for therapeutic hypothermiaSean P Marrelli; Fiscal Year: 2012..The combination of difficult implementation, slow achievement of target temperature, and clinical complications associated with forced cooling limits the applicability and ..
- Lipoprotein Structure and Function by Individual Particle Electron TomographyGang Ren; Fiscal Year: 2013..there may be unexpected difficulties in using this new approach, considering my rich cryoEM experience and achievement in various lipoprotein structure studies in the last few years (12 peer-reviewed articles,leading5 articles in ..
- Classical and non-classical responses to vitamin D in children: the role of DBP gThomas O Carpenter; Fiscal Year: 2010..and toddlers in the demographic most closely associated with reports of vitamin D deficiency by assessing the achievement of target levels of 25-OHD in the selected genotypes at the two dosing levels...
- Quality Dialysis Outcomes and Practice Patterns Study (DOPPS): high-quality careFrancesca Tentori; Fiscal Year: 2013..Mortality risk of patients treated in dialysis units with greater achievement of quality indicators is lower, and certain quality indicators will soon affect the dialysis reimbursement rate ..
- Routine Aspiration of Residual Gastric Contents in Very Low Birth Weight InfantsLeslie A Parker; Fiscal Year: 2013..improves care or reduces complications and may actually contribute to complications including a delay in achievement of full enteral feedings...
- Treatment of breast cancer tumor growth and metastasis with an anti-MMP-9 DNAzymeMIRANDA A HALLETT; Fiscal Year: 2011..Towards the achievement of this goal we propose to (1) determine the minimum effective dose of AM9D needed to significantly decrease ..
- Treatment of Acute Coronary Syndromes with Recombinant LCAT InfusionBRIAN ROBERT KRAUSE; Fiscal Year: 2011..b>Achievement of these specific aims will enable application to the FDA for approval to test rhLCAT safety and efficacy in ..
- FAMU RCMI Pharmaceutical Research CenterKaram F A Soliman; Fiscal Year: 2013..The EP will identify challenges, ineffective use of resources;ensure achievement of milestones;and provide ongoing guidance toward corrective actions...
- Transplant Associated Infection Surveillance Network Phase IIPETER GEORGE PAPPAS; Fiscal Year: 2012..The achievement of these goals will provide critically important insights into the key modifiable risk factors associated with ..
- NIH Director's Pioneer AwardKarl Deisseroth; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- Photocrosslinking characterization of heat-labile toxin glycoreceptorsAmberlyn M Wands; Fiscal Year: 2013..GlcNDAz), such as those possessing N- acetyllactosamine structures. These experiments will mark an important achievement in understanding the relevant proteins involved in ETEC mediated disease, and thus uncover novel therapeutic ..
- Defining the role of the tumor-initiating cell niche in breast cancerMei Zhang; Fiscal Year: 2011..I will be using new experimental approaches to enhance my research skills. This is essential for the achievement of my long term goal of being an independent investigator in an academic institution to investigate the ..
- Role of serum amyloid A in interferon-gamma expression and T helper 1 cell differRong Lucy He; Fiscal Year: 2013..b>Achievement of this goal will expand the current understanding of adaptive immunity and lead to exploration new therapeutic ..
- Identification, Discovery, and Public Archiving of RNA Structural MotifsShaojie Zhang; Fiscal Year: 2013..With the achievement of these two goals, we propose to build a database for archiving motif instances identified by our new search ..
- Phase 2a Study of Ataluren in Hemophilia A and B (IND 104,321)JAY A BARTH; Fiscal Year: 2010..Successful achievement of study goals would support a registration- directed development program that could lead to regulatory ..
- Glioma immunotherapy with strategies based on autonomous parvovirus MVMpJUSTIN COBB PAGLINO; Fiscal Year: 2013..training in the responsible conduct of research, presentation at conferences, and specific target dates for the achievement of goals that include completion and publication of data described in my specific aims, committee guidance for ..
- STUDIES ON THE STRUCTURE OF BASEMENT MEMBRANESBILLY GERALD HUDSON; Fiscal Year: 2013..The achievement of these aims will result in novel insights into mechanisms that can serve as a platform for developing ..
- Using Microfluidic Affinity Analysis to Probe Transcriptional RegulationPOLLY MORRELL FORDYCE; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): In a watershed achievement, the Human Genome Project (HGP) recently sequenced the entire human genome, providing a wealth of information about potential genes and regulatory sequences...
- Development of a Chlamydia T Cell Vaccine Based on Dendritic Cell ImmunoprotemicsLeonard J Foster; Fiscal Year: 2012..Funding for this project will accelerate progress toward a Chlamydia vaccine, which will be a major medical achievement for global health...
- Synthetic saccharides to study immunological properties of Streptococcus pneumoniAlexei V Demchenko; Fiscal Year: 2010..However, the achievement of this is challenging for a number of reasons, major of which is low availability of pure isolates...
- EMBRYONIC STEM CELLS INDUCE SPECIFIC GRAFT TOLERANCENicholas Zavazava; Fiscal Year: 2012..cell fusion of HPCs with host cells post transplantation. Achievement of these goals will establish ESC as a new source of hematopoietic cells that can be used for tolerance ..
- The 24th Annual Symposium on Career Opportunities in Health Professions from ApriThomas Adams; Fiscal Year: 2010..The Summative Evaluation component of the Symposium will address the immediate achievement of learning objectives and long-term impact goals of becoming a health care professional...
- INTERPLAYS BETWEEN THE JAW MESENCHYMAL STEM CELLS AND T LYMPHOCYTESYufang Shi; Fiscal Year: 2010..This achievement is critical for the proposed studies because isolation and expansion of mouse OFMSCs are difficult and reliant ..
- Dissemination of Patient-Centered Outcomes Research in Hepatitis C Virus to InfecDavid L Thomas; Fiscal Year: 2013..24 This proposal will directly support the achievement of two of the Healthy People 2020 goals 25 related to hepatitis C virus - the goal of increasing the awareness ..
- Calcium Signaling in a Model of Temporal Lobe EpilepsyKaren S Wilcox; Fiscal Year: 2013..The combined use of TPS with the stable expression of Lck-GCaMP3 in cells of the HC is a technical achievement that will contribute to our understanding of the functional role of KAR expression in astrocytes following ..
- Mechanisms Underlying the Association between Maternal and Offspring ObesityPAULA CATHERINE CHANDLER-LANEY; Fiscal Year: 2013..protocols, and a three-member career advisory panel that will monitor the progress of my career and the achievement of my short- and long-term goals...
- Highly finished chromosome-based genome assembly for Anopheles gambiaeIgor V Sharakhov; Fiscal Year: 2012..analysis, as well as the expertise of the PI and Co-PI in cytogenetics and genomics, will ensure successful achievement of the project's goals. Briefly, the project's specific aims are to 1...
- How does misregulation of PI3,5P2 signaling lead to neurodegeneration?Lois S Weisman; Fiscal Year: 2013..We will test whether PI3,5P2 in mice can be generated in the absence of Fab1/PIKfyve. Achievement of these aims will provide insights into the pathophysiology of neurodegenerative disorders and may ultimately ..
- Ophthalmologic Follow-up Care for Children Born Very-Low-Birth-WeightCHIHHUNG JASON WANG; Fiscal Year: 2012..infants have significant ophthalmologic morbidity, which impacts on their cognitive development and educational achievement. The findings will have important public health implications for tracking their health, development, and ..
- From Child Maltreatment to Adolescent Substance Abuse: Risks, Protective FactorsPenelope K Trickett; Fiscal Year: 2010..of other problems, including anxiety and depression;aggression and delinquency;cognitive delays and school achievement problems;problems with interpersonal relationships;and health problems...
- ADVANCED TECHNOLOGY FOR ASSAYING CANCER-DRUG RESISTANCEMark Lim; Fiscal Year: 2010..b>Achievement of key milestones during Phase I included: i) the demonstration that DRAMA-ACD could detect mutant BCR-ABL ..
- Enhancing Pathogen-specific Memory CD8+ T cell Responses in VivoGREGOIRE STEPHANE LAUVAU; Fiscal Year: 2013..Current research indicates that the achievement of such goals involves optimizing three distinct signals during vaccination, which are antigen presentation, co-..
- Therapeutic to Reduce Acute Inflammation Following Cardiac IschemiaELISABETH M ALICOT-CARROLL; Fiscal Year: 2011..Successful achievement of the goals of the Phase II application will lead to testing of the therapeutics in Phase I clinical trials...
- Sox9-mediated control of chondrogenesisVERONIQUE M LEFEBVRE; Fiscal Year: 2013..We anticipate that the achievement of this project will lead to a deeper knowledge of the mechanisms that govern the multi-step differentiation ..
- EFFECTS OF BARIATRIC SURGERY ON GLUCOSE HOMEOSTASIS IN TYPE-2 DIABETESSamuel Klein; Fiscal Year: 2012..The achievement of these aims will provide important physiological and clinical knowledge regarding the effect of bariatric (..
- First Step: Home/School Intervention for Preschoolers with Disruptive BehaviorsHILL M WALKER; Fiscal Year: 2013..problems in a number of domains including mental health, interpersonal relations, employment, and academic achievement. Longitudinal studies of the progression of antisocial behavior patterns among youth in the U.S...
- Brain Structure and Function in Adolescents after the Fontan OperationMICHAEL JOHN RIVKIN; Fiscal Year: 2012..Aim 3 will evaluate the relationship of brain MRI measures to academic achievement, cognition, and behavior...
- UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS SPORE IN LUNG CANCERJohn D Minna; Fiscal Year: 2013..b>Achievement of the aims and objectives of this proposal will result in a major decrease in the incidence, morbidity and ..
- SOLID STATE RADIATION CHEMISTRY OF DNAJeffrey J Hayes; Fiscal Year: 2012..b>Achievement of these objectives should make it possible to predict the composition and spatial distribution of the DNA ..
- Genesis of Epithelial Cell LumensJennifer L Harder; Fiscal Year: 2013..Her achievement of these immediate goals will place her in good position to successfully compete for funding to launch her ..
- Preservation of mucosal barrier in surgical diseasesXiao Di Tan; Fiscal Year: 2013..b>Achievement of these specific aims and confirmation of our hypotheses will provide the novel mechanistic information that ..
- Modifying Lifestyle in Prehypertensive Older Rural WomenCAROL HALL PULLEN; Fiscal Year: 2010..The project's primary outcomes will be change in and criterion level achievement for healthy eating, physical activity and blood pressure at 6 &12 months during the intervention and at 18 &..
- Coaching Parents to Manage Youth Stress through Recreation and CultureHoward C Stevenson; Fiscal Year: 2010..The construct of RECS has been researched as a protective factor in many studies on academic achievement, anger expression, and depression among Black youth, so CRIs that are driven by RECS have potential in ..
- Subjective Well-Being Over The Life CourseSTEPHEN JONATHAN MACHIN; Fiscal Year: 2013..There will be eight state variables: well-being;conduct/criminality;physical health;cognitive achievement;and (as adults) employment;welfare receipt;income;and family functioning...
- TRAINING PROGRAM IN ENDOCRINOLOGY AND METABOLISMJohn P Bilezikian; Fiscal Year: 2013..mechanism for over 45 years and presents a record among its graduates of superb training and major academic achievement. The central features of the Program include intensive research in the laboratory of the participating faculty ..
- Transcranial Sonothrombolysis with Diagnostic UltrasoundThilo Hoelscher; Fiscal Year: 2013..Noninvasive 'Image-Guided Sonothrombolysis'at the bedside or even in the ambulance vehicle would be a major achievement in stroke therapy.
- Chemical Biodiversity: Investigating the Phylogeny and Functional Toxins of VenomMANDE N HOLFORD; Fiscal Year: 2010..A thorough mentoring plan will address development needs as they refer to the PIs scientific achievement, training of students and postdoctoral fellows, and independent career advancement...
- The North Carolina Cleft Outcomes StudyRonald P Strauss; Fiscal Year: 2013..associated with short and long-term health outcomes of children with OFC, with a special focus on academic achievement (reading, writing, and math), behavioral/psychological outcomes (attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)..
- Cholinergic Mechanisms in Spatial AttentionAnita A Disney; Fiscal Year: 2012..The Salk Institute is the ideal training environment for the achievement of these goals. Dr...
- SOMATIC CELL TRANSFER TO MODEL MEDULLOBLASTOMA IN MICEDANIEL WEBSTER FULTS; Fiscal Year: 2013..Spinal metastasis is a highly unfavorable prognostic factor for patients with MBs. Achievement of these aims will make it possible to translate the mechanistic discoveries to molecular targeted therapies ..
- Defining the role of the tumor-initiating cell niche in breast cancerMei Zhang; Fiscal Year: 2013..I will be using new experimental approaches to enhance my research skills. This is essential for the achievement of my long term goal of being an independent investigator in an academic institution to investigate the ..
- Discovery of the 6p21.3 Reading Disability GeneJeffrey R Gruen; Fiscal Year: 2010..Yet, RD is frequently unrecognized, leading to academic under-achievement with detrimental social and economic consequences...
- The role of peroxidasin in Goodpasture's diseaseABRAHAM SCOTT MCCALL; Fiscal Year: 2013..The achievement of these aims will provide insight into a novel mechanism of autoimmune disease pathogenesis and potentially ..
- Training in Lung Molecular and Cell Pathobiology-Phase IIJoseph A Lasky; Fiscal Year: 2013..The wide range of research activities at the cell and molecular level in lung disease, the track record of achievement and training by the faculty, the development of excellent research experience for our trainees, the ..
- Studies of a Novel Therapeutic Target in Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer (NSCLC)Ravi Salgia; Fiscal Year: 2011..Conduct an anti-c-Met phase I/I I clinical trial against NSCLC. Through the achievement of the goals proposed in these specific aims, we will arrive at novel therapy against c- Met in lung cancer...
- INTEGRATED ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH MIDDLE SCHOOL PROJECTDavid Eaton; Fiscal Year: 2006..student understanding of the environmental health sciences as well as improved performance in overall academic achievement, higher-level thinking and problem-solving skills, behavior, and attitudes...
- Effects of Psychopathology on Prefrontal Cortical Functioning During Goal-DirecteSharon L Thompson Schill; Fiscal Year: 2010..by a decline in performance in tasks that require focused attention, inhibition, or action sequencing in goal achievement. Research in clinical psychology has revealed a similarly suboptimal cognitive style in the majority of ..
- Unilateral Hearing Loss in ChildrenJUDITH LIEU; Fiscal Year: 2009..risk in children with UHL as compared to a control group of siblings with normal hearing, using a standardized achievement assessment;2) Determine whether educational performance or behavioral problems increase or decrease in children ..
- Improving Fine Motor Skill Development to Promote Mathematical AbilityDAVID W GRISSMER; Fiscal Year: 2010..and continuing through at least 3rd grade suggests that fine motor skills is as strong a predictor of later achievement as measures of attention (executive function skills), and that fine motor skills predicts math better than ..
- MATH INTERVENTION FOR CHILDREN WITH LEUKEMIAIda Moore; Fiscal Year: 2004..The primary aim of this study is to determine if a math intervention can prevent a significant decline in math achievement in children with ALL who receive triple intrathecal therapy and systemic intermediate dose methotrexate...
- Mechanism-based, pro-cognitive therapies for schizophreniaDAVID JULIAN GERBER; Fiscal Year: 2010..a library of compounds, identify modulators of synaptic vesicle cycling and advance selected compound series to achievement of proof-of-concept in relevant animal models and a mature stage of lead optimization...
- COMMUNITY VIOLENCE & YOUTH: AFFECT, BEHAVIOR, ACADEMICSMICHELE COOLEY; Fiscal Year: 2009..1993;Pynoos et al.,1987;Schwab-Stone et al.,1999;Singer et al., 1995). Academic achievement outcomes have been under explored, as have factors that protect youth against the adverse impact of community ..
- MBRS-IMSD Program at the University of Colorado at Denver and Health Sciences CenSONIA CASTRO FLORES; Fiscal Year: 2012..of ethnic and racial minorities have to contend with a myriad of cultural and societal issues affecting basic achievement and academic proficiency, students with underlying talent and capability are too often not afforded the ..
- Conforming Positive Action Lessons to States' Academic StandardsCarol Allred; Fiscal Year: 2006..skills, school leadership/administration skills, school organization, and both student behavior and academic achievement. Despite having strong evidence of effectiveness and being well established, PA faces a major challenge to ..
- Wireless Pain Intervention Program for At Risk Youths with Sickle Cell DiseaseEufemia Jacob; Fiscal Year: 2010..Eventually, these youths are at risk for poor academic achievement, decrease in quality of life, and other negative outcomes that may interfere with overall health...
- Developmental Pathways to Dating Violence and Suicidal Behavior: The Healthy TeenPamela Orpinas; Fiscal Year: 2010..700 students);b) uses multiple methods (student surveys, teacher ratings, archival data on academic achievement and discipline, focus groups, and interviews;c) includes two samples of students (random and high-risk);d) ..