Genomes and Genes
Summary: The state of feeling sad or dejected as a result of lack of companionship or being separated from others.
Publications342 found, 100 shown here
- The clinical significance of loneliness: a literature reviewLiesl M Heinrich
School of Psychology, Psychiatry, and Psychological Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Nursing, and Health Sciences, Monash University, VIC 3800, Australia
Clin Psychol Rev 26:695-718. 2006..In this review, we focus on loneliness as a crucial marker of social relationship deficits and contend that loneliness should command clinicians' ..
- A meta-analysis of interventions to reduce lonelinessChristopher M Masi
Department of Medicine, University of Chicago, Chicago, IL 60637, USA
Pers Soc Psychol Rev 15:219-66. 2011Social and demographic trends are placing an increasing number of adults at risk for loneliness, an established risk factor for physical and mental illness...
- Oxytocin increases autonomic cardiac control: moderation by lonelinessGreg J Norman
Department of Psychology, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
Biol Psychol 86:174-80. 2011..Furthermore, the effects of oxytocin on cardiac autonomic control were significantly associated with loneliness ratings...
- Social isolation, loneliness, and all-cause mortality in older men and womenAndrew Steptoe
Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, University College London, London WC1E 6BT, United Kingdom
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 110:5797-801. 2013Both social isolation and loneliness are associated with increased mortality, but it is uncertain whether their effects are independent or whether loneliness represents the emotional pathway through which social isolation impairs health...
- Loneliness matters: a theoretical and empirical review of consequences and mechanismsLouise C Hawkley
Center for Cognitive and Social Neuroscience, University of Chicago, Chicago, IL, USA
Ann Behav Med 40:218-27. 2010..Perceptions of social isolation, or loneliness, increase vigilance for threat and heighten feelings of vulnerability while also raising the desire to reconnect...
- Loneliness, health, and mortality in old age: a national longitudinal studyYe Luo
Department of Sociology and Anthropology, Clemson University, 130F Brackett Hall, Clemson, SC 29634, USA
Soc Sci Med 74:907-14. 2012This study examined the relationship between loneliness, health, and mortality using a U.S. nationally representative sample of 2101 adults aged 50 years and over from the 2002 to 2008 waves of the Health and Retirement Study...
- Loneliness, lack of emotional support, lack of companionship, and the likelihood of having a heart condition in an elderly sampleDara Sorkin
Department of Psychology and Social Behavior, University of California, Irvine 92697 7085, USA
Ann Behav Med 24:290-8. 2002..Researchers have attributed this association to the feelings of loneliness that accompany social isolation, but they have rarely assessed loneliness directly...
- Loneliness in older persons: a predictor of functional decline and deathCarla M Perissinotto
Division of Geriatrics, Department of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
Arch Intern Med 172:1078-83. 2012b>Loneliness is a common source of distress, suffering, and impaired quality of life in older persons. We examined the relationship between loneliness, functional decline, and death in adults older than 60 years in the United States.
- Loneliness, social support networks, mood and wellbeing in community-dwelling elderlyJeannette Golden
St Patrick s Hospital, Dublin
Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 24:694-700. 2009Both loneliness and social networks have been linked with mood and wellbeing. However, few studies have examined these factors simultaneously in community-dwelling participants...
- Correlation between loneliness and social relationship among empty nest elderly in Anhui rural area, ChinaZhen Qiang Wu
Department of Epidemiology and Statistics, School of Public Health, Anhui Medical University, Hefei 230032, China
Aging Ment Health 14:108-12. 2010To study the possible associations between loneliness and social relationship (social support and family function) in Chinese empty nest elderly.
- Daily life after moving into a care home--experiences from older people, relatives and contact personsIngegerd Andersson
Department of Public Health and Caring Sciences, Caring Sciences, Uppsala University, Uppsala, Sweden
J Clin Nurs 16:1712-8. 2007..Furthermore, the aim was to study the experiences of their relatives and contact persons with respect to the daily life of the same residents...
- Loneliness and cortisol: momentary, day-to-day, and trait associationsLeah D Doane
Cells to Society Center, Institute for Policy Research, Northwestern University, Evanston, IL 60208, USA
Psychoneuroendocrinology 35:430-41. 2010..to understand the social determinants of health, strong associations have been found between measures of loneliness, physiological stress processes, and physical and mental health outcomes...
- Cross-national differences in older adult lonelinessTineke Fokkema
Netherlands Interdisciplinary Demographic Institute The Hague, The Netherlands
J Psychol 146:201-28. 2012b>Loneliness concerns the subjective evaluation that the number of relationships is smaller than the individual considers desirable or that the intimacy that the individual wishes for has not been realized...
- Loneliness and risk of Alzheimer diseaseRobert S Wilson
Rush Alzheimer s Disease Center, Rush Institute for Healthy Aging, Rush University Medical Center, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Arch Gen Psychiatry 64:234-40. 2007Social isolation in old age has been associated with risk of developing dementia, but the risk associated with perceived isolation, or loneliness, is not well understood.
- Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction training reduces loneliness and pro-inflammatory gene expression in older adults: a small randomized controlled trialJ David Creswell
Department of Psychology and Center for the Neural Basis of Cognition, Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, United States
Brain Behav Immun 26:1095-101. 2012..Previous behavioral treatments have attempted to reduce loneliness and its concomitant health risks, but have had limited success...
- Perceived social isolation makes me sad: 5-year cross-lagged analyses of loneliness and depressive symptomatology in the Chicago Health, Aging, and Social Relations StudyJohn T Cacioppo
Center for Cognitive and Social Neuroscience, University of Chicago, IL 60637, USA
Psychol Aging 25:453-63. 2010We present evidence from a 5-year longitudinal study for the prospective associations between loneliness and depressive symptoms in a population-based, ethnically diverse sample of 229 men and women who were 50-68 years old at study onset...
- Loneliness and HIV-related stigma explain depression among older HIV-positive adultsChristian Grov
Department of Health and Nutrition Sciences, Brooklyn College of City University of New York, NY, USA
AIDS Care 22:630-9. 2010..Correlations between depression, loneliness, health, and HIV/AIDS-related stigma have been studied, but there is little evaluation of these associations ..
- Predictors and subjective causes of loneliness in an aged populationN Savikko
The Central Union for the Welfare of the Aged, Malmin Kauppatie 26, 00700 Helsinki, Finland
Arch Gerontol Geriatr 41:223-33. 2005The aim of the study was to examine the prevalence and self-reported causes of loneliness among Finnish older population...
- Alone in the crowd: the structure and spread of loneliness in a large social networkJohn T Cacioppo
Department of Psychology, University of Chicago, Chicago, IL 60637, USA
J Pers Soc Psychol 97:977-91. 2009The discrepancy between an individual's loneliness and the number of connections in a social network is well documented, yet little is known about the placement of loneliness within, or the spread of loneliness through, social networks...
- Loneliness predicts reduced physical activity: cross-sectional & longitudinal analysesLouise C Hawkley
University of Chicago, Chicago, IL 60637, USA
Health Psychol 28:354-63. 2009To determine cross-sectional and prospective associations between loneliness and physical activity, and to evaluate the roles of social control and emotion regulation as mediators of these associations.
- Perceived social isolation and cognitionJohn T Cacioppo
Center for Cognitive and Social Neuroscience, University of Chicago, 5848 S University Avenue, Chicago, IL 60637, USA
Trends Cogn Sci 13:447-54. 2009..Research indicates that perceived social isolation (i.e. loneliness) is a risk factor for, and may contribute to, poorer overall cognitive performance, faster cognitive decline, ..
- Loneliness is a unique predictor of age-related differences in systolic blood pressureLouise C Hawkley
Chicago Center for Cognitive and Social Neuroscience, and Department of Psychology, University of Chicago, 5848 South University Avenue, Chicago, IL 60637, USA
Psychol Aging 21:152-64. 2006..5), from Cook County, Illinois (N = 229), was tested to examine how loneliness and co-occurring psychosocial factors (depressive symptoms, perceived stress, social support, and hostility) ..
- Loneliness and health: potential mechanismsJohn T Cacioppo
Department of Psychology, University of Chicago, Chicago, IL 60637, USA
Psychosom Med 64:407-17. 2002Two studies using cross-sectional designs explored four possible mechanisms by which loneliness may have deleterious effects on health: health behaviors, cardiovascular activation, cortisol levels, and sleep.
- Loneliness in old age: longitudinal changes and their determinants in an Israeli sampleJiska Cohen-Mansfield
Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv, Israel
Int Psychogeriatr 21:1160-70. 2009There is a paucity of past research concerning longitudinal changes in loneliness in old age and in the factors that correlate with loneliness in older persons...
- Changes in depressive symptoms, social support, and loneliness over 1 year after a minimum 3-month videoconference program for older nursing home residentsHsiu Hsin Tsai
School of Nursing, Chang Gung University, Tao Yuan, Taiwan
J Med Internet Res 13:e93. 2011A 3-month videoconference interaction program with family members has been shown to decrease depression and loneliness in nursing home residents...
- Mental well-being: a 16-year follow-up among older residents in JyväskyläRiitta Liisa Heikkinen
Department of Health Sciences, The Finnish Centre for Interdisciplinary Gerontology, PO Box 35 Viveca, FIN 40014 University of Jyväskylä, Finland
Arch Gerontol Geriatr 52:33-9. 2011This study investigated changes in perceived depression, anxiety and loneliness during a 16-year follow-up among elderly Jyväskylä residents born in 1914-1923...
- Predictors of loneliness in U.S. adults over age sixty-fiveLaurie A Theeke
Department of Health Restoration, West Virginia University School of Nursing, Morgantown, WV 26505, USA
Arch Psychiatr Nurs 23:387-96. 2009The purpose of this study was to examine sociodemographic and health-related risks for loneliness among older adults using Health and Retirement Study Data. Overall prevalence of loneliness was 19.3%...
- Sociodemographic and health-related risks for loneliness and outcome differences by loneliness status in a sample of U.S. older adultsLaurie A Theeke
West Virginia University School of Nursing, Department of Health Restoration, Morgantown, West Virginia 26506 6400, USA
Res Gerontol Nurs 3:113-25. 2010This study assesses sociodemographic and health-related factors associated with loneliness and outcome differences between loneliness groups using a sample of 13,812 older adults from the U.S Health and Retirement Study...
- Loneliness as a risk factor for hypertension in later lifeYadollah Abolfathi Momtaz
Institute of Gerontology, Department of Resource Management and Consumer Studies, Faculty of Human Ecology, Universiti Putra Malaysia, Serdang, Malaysia
J Aging Health 24:696-710. 2012The present study aims to determine the impact of loneliness on hypertension in later life.
- Effects of a program to prevent social isolation on loneliness, depression, and subjective well-being of older adults: a randomized trial among older migrants in JapanTami Saito
School of Public Health, The University of Tokyo, 7 3 1 Hongo, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo 113 0033, Japan
Arch Gerontol Geriatr 55:539-47. 2012..Using a randomized trial, this study examined the effect of a social isolation prevention program on loneliness, depression, and subjective well-being of the elderly in Japan...
- Loneliness and ethnic minority elders in Great Britain: an exploratory studyChristina R Victor
School of Health Sciences and Social Care, Brunel University, Uxbridge, UB8 3PH, UK
J Cross Cult Gerontol 27:65-78. 2012b>Loneliness, which describes the deficit between an individuals' expectation of the quality and/or quantity of social relationships and the actuality, is associated with poor quality of life, negative health outcomes and, in some cases, ..
- The relation between trust beliefs and loneliness during early childhood, middle childhood, and adulthoodKen J Rotenberg
Keele University, School of Psychology, Keele, UK
Pers Soc Psychol Bull 36:1086-100. 2010Four studies examined the relation between trust and loneliness. Studies 1, 2, and 3 showed that trust beliefs negatively predicted changes in loneliness during early childhood (5-7 years), middle childhood (9-11 years), and young ..
- Old age and loneliness: cross-sectional and longitudinal analyses in the Tampere Longitudinal Study on AgingMarja Jylha
School of Public Health, University of Tampere, Finland
Can J Aging 23:157-68. 2004The purpose of this study was to examine whether older age is associated with increasing loneliness in people aged 60 and over. Data came from TamELSA, a population-based prospective longitudinal study in Tampere, Finland...
- The relationship of loneliness and social anxiety with children's and adolescents' online communicationLuigi Bonetti
School of Learning and Professional Studies, Queensland University of Technology, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Cyberpsychol Behav Soc Netw 13:279-85. 2010..and adolescents' psychosocial development; however, they can be difficult for those who experience feelings of loneliness and/or social anxiety...
- Loneliness: its correlates and association with health behaviours and outcomes in nine countries of the former Soviet UnionAndrew Stickley
European Centre on Health of Societies in Transition, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London, United Kingdom
PLoS ONE 8:e67978. 2013Research suggests that the prevalence of loneliness varies between countries and that feeling lonely may be associated with poorer health behaviours and outcomes...
- Loneliness and pathways to diseaseLouise C Hawkley
Institute for Mind and Biology, The University of Chicago, 940 E 57th Street, IL 60637, USA
Brain Behav Immun 17:S98-105. 2003..Perceived social isolation, commonly termed loneliness, may represent a link between the epidemiological and biological levels of analysis...
- Loneliness and the rate of motor decline in old age: the Rush Memory and Aging Project, a community-based cohort studyAron S Buchman
Department of Neurological Sciences, Rush Alzheimer s Disease Center, Rush University Medical Center, 600 S, Paulina, Chicago, Illinois 60612, USA
BMC Geriatr 10:77. 2010..We tested the hypothesis that feeling alone is associated with the rate of motor decline in community-dwelling older persons...
- Implicit and explicit self-esteem as concurrent predictors of suicidal ideation, depressive symptoms, and lonelinessDaan H M Creemers
Mental Health Care Institute, GGZ Oost Brabant, Burg Kuyperlaan 5, 5461 AA Veghel, The Netherlands
J Behav Ther Exp Psychiatry 43:638-46. 2012..these two constructs, and their discrepancy are associated with depressive symptoms, suicidal ideation, and loneliness. Participants were 95 young female adults (M = 21.2 years, SD = 1.88) enrolled in higher education...
- The dopamine D2 receptor gene, perceived parental support, and adolescent loneliness: longitudinal evidence for gene-environment interactionsEeske van Roekel
Behavioural Science Institute, Radboud University Nijmegen, The Netherlands
J Child Psychol Psychiatry 52:1044-51. 2011b>Loneliness is a common problem in adolescence. Earlier research focused on genes within the serotonin and oxytocin systems, but no studies have examined the role of dopamine-related genes in loneliness...
- Loneliness, social support and family function of people living with HIV/AIDS in Anhui rural area, ChinaY H Sun
Department of Epidemiology and Statistics, School of Public Health, Anhui Medical University, Hefei 230032, China
Int J STD AIDS 20:255-8. 2009The main purpose of this study was to investigate how loneliness was associated with social support and family function among people living with HIV/AIDS (PLWHA) in an HIV-stricken area of China...
- European and Canadian studies of loneliness among seniorsDaniel Perlman
School of Social Work and Family Studies, University of British Columbia, Vancouver
Can J Aging 23:181-8. 2004This article provides a commentary on a set of five other articles reporting European and Canadian studies of loneliness among seniors...
- Loneliness and stress-related inflammatory and neuroendocrine responses in older men and womenRuth A Hackett
Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, University College London, 1 19 Torrington Place, London WC1E 6BT, UK
Psychoneuroendocrinology 37:1801-9. 2012b>Loneliness is a predictor of mortality and increased cardiovascular morbidity. Inflammation is a potential pathway through which loneliness might impact health...
- Loneliness, social isolation, and behavioral and biological health indicators in older adultsAparna Shankar
Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, University College London, London, UK
Health Psychol 30:377-85. 2011A number of mechanisms have been proposed through which social isolation and loneliness may affect health, including health-related behavioral and biological factors...
- The prevalence of loneliness among adults: a case study of the United KingdomChristina R Victor
School of Health Sciences and Social Care, Brunel University, Uxbridge, Middlesex, United Kingdom
J Psychol 146:85-104. 2012Within contemporary Western (post) modern societies, loneliness is seen as a problem that is particularly associated with old age. Much less attention has been given to examining variations in loneliness across age groups...
- Loneliness in everyday life: cardiovascular activity, psychosocial context, and health behaviorsLouise C Hawkley
Department of Psychology, University of Chicago, Illinois 60637, USA
J Pers Soc Psychol 85:105-20. 2003..Results confirmed that loneliness predicted higher TPR and lower CO during a normal day...
- Functions of loneliness, social support, health behaviors, and stress in association with poor healthChris Segrin
Department of Communication, University of Arizona, AZ, USA
Health Commun 25:312-22. 2010Prior research has established clear links between social support, loneliness, and various health outcomes. This study was designed to test several theoretically derived explanations for such associations...
- The effect of loneliness on malnutrition in elderly populationEnisa Ramic
Family Medicine Simin Han, Health Center, Mustafa Sehovic Tuzla, Tuzla, Bosnia and Herzegovina
Med Arh 65:92-5. 2011..Due to various factors, older people are potentially vulnerable groups at risk of malnutrition. Loneliness, isolation from society and neglect of parents by children is a big problem to many people in old age.
- Loneliness, health and depression in older malesF M Alpass
School of Psychology, Massey University, New Zealand
Aging Ment Health 7:212-6. 2003b>Loneliness and social isolation, particularly in the older adult, have been shown to influence psychosocial well-being...
- Stress, loneliness, and depression in Taiwanese rural community-dwelling eldersJ J Wang
Fooyin Institute of Technology, 151 Chinh-hsuen Road, Ta-Liao Hsiang, 83101, Kaohsiung Hsien, Taiwan
Int J Nurs Stud 38:339-47. 2001This study examined the stressors and stress levels, loneliness, and depression experienced by Taiwanese rural elders and determine if differences in the level of stress were associated with specific person-environmental characteristics...
- Loneliness and the metabolic syndrome in a population-based sample of middle-aged and older adultsMark A Whisman
Department of Psychology and Neuroscience, University of Colorado, Boulder, CO 80309 0345, USA
Health Psychol 29:550-4. 2010This study evaluated the association between loneliness and the metabolic syndrome, which refers to a clustering of factors that have been shown to increase risk for cardiovascular disease, diabetes, stroke, and mortality...
- Friendship, loneliness and depression in adolescents with Asperger's SyndromeAndrew J O Whitehouse
Department of Experimental Psychology, University of Oxford, Oxford, UK
J Adolesc 32:309-22. 2009This study investigated the relation between friendship, loneliness and depressive symptoms in adolescents with Asperger's Syndrome (AS)...
- Loneliness predicts increased blood pressure: 5-year cross-lagged analyses in middle-aged and older adultsLouise C Hawkley
Department of Psychology, University of Chicago, 940 East 57th Street, Chicago, IL 60637, USA
Psychol Aging 25:132-41. 2010b>Loneliness is a prevalent social problem with serious physiological and health implications...
- How can I connect with thee? Let me count the waysLouise C Hawkley
Institute for Mind and Biology, The University of Chicago, IL 60637, USA
Psychol Sci 16:798-804. 2005Two studies were conducted to examine mental representations of loneliness and social connectedness. In Study 1, young adults (N = 2,531) completed the revised UCLA Loneliness Scale (R-UCLA scale) and demographic questionnaires...
- Associations between the oxytocin receptor gene (OXTR) and affect, loneliness and intelligence in normal subjectsMichael J Lucht
Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, University of Greifswald, Germany
Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry 33:860-6. 2009..We tested hypotheses of associations between positive and negative affects and social and emotional loneliness (285 adults), IQ (117 adolescents) and polymorphisms of the oxytocin receptor gene (OXTR rs53576, rs2254298 and ..
- Breaking the cycle of loneliness? Psychological effects of a friendship enrichment program for older womenC M S Martina
Centre for Psychogerontology, Radboud University Nijmegen, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Aging Ment Health 10:467-75. 2006..designed to stimulate improvement in friendship, self-esteem and subjective well-being, as well as reduction in loneliness among older women...
- Familial resemblance for lonelinessMarijn A Distel
Biological Psychology, VU University, Van der Boechorststraat 1, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Behav Genet 40:480-94. 2010Social isolation and loneliness in humans have been associated with physical and psychological morbidity, as well as mortality. This study aimed to assess the etiology of individual differences in feelings of loneliness...
- Anxiety, social deficits, and loneliness in youth with autism spectrum disordersSusan W White
Department of Psychiatry, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA 24061, USA
J Autism Dev Disord 39:1006-13. 2009The purpose of this study was to explore relationships among anxiety, loneliness, and degree of social skill deficit in a sample of youth with autism spectrum disorders (ASD)...
- Loneliness, fear, and quality of life among elderly in Sweden: a gender perspectiveUlf Jakobsson
Department of Nursing, Faculty of Medicine, Lund University, Lund, Sweden
Aging Clin Exp Res 17:494-501. 2005The aim of this work was to study feelings of loneliness and fear among elderly people (75+) in a gender perspective, and to explore their causes.
- Loneliness as a predictor of hospital emergency department useJ Geller
Lawrence Family Practice Residency, MA 01841, USA
J Fam Pract 48:801-4. 1999Recent studies indicate that loneliness is a significant risk factor for many ailments from colds to heart disease...
- Cross-national comparisons of social isolation and loneliness: introduction and overviewJenny de Jong Gierveld
Netherlands Interdisciplinary Demographic Institute for Advanced Study in the Humanities and Social Sciences, The Hague
Can J Aging 23:109-13. 2004This article provides an introduction to the special volume on research related to issues of social isolation and loneliness for older people...
- Genetic and environmental contributions to loneliness in childrenS McGuire
Department of Psychology, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093 0109, USA
Psychol Sci 11:487-91. 2000This report presents the results of the first behavioral genetic studies of children's loneliness. Data were collected using both an adoption design and a twin-sibling design...
- Changes in and factors related to loneliness in older men. The Zutphen Elderly StudyM A Tijhuis
Department of Chronic Diseases Epidemiology, National Institute of Public Health and the Environment, Bilthoven, The Netherlands
Age Ageing 28:491-5. 1999To investigate (i) whether loneliness increases in old age, and if so, whether it relates to ageing itself, to time trends or to cohort effects and (ii) the relationship between changes in institutionalization, partner status and health ..
- A randomized controlled trial of the psychosocial impact of providing internet training and access to older adultsH White
Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Aging Ment Health 6:213-21. 2002..The pre & post measures included the UCLA Loneliness scale, modified CES Depression scale, a measure of locus of control, computer attitudes, number of confidants, ..
- Loneliness and neuroendocrine, cardiovascular, and inflammatory stress responses in middle-aged men and womenAndrew Steptoe
Psychobiology Group, Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, University College London, 1 19 Torrington Place, London WC1E 6BT, UK
Psychoneuroendocrinology 29:593-611. 2004b>Loneliness is a psychological experience related to social isolation and perceived lack of companionship, and may be relevant to health risk...
- [Reference standards for the loneliness scale]T G van Tilburg
Inderdisciplinair Demografisch Instituut, Den Haag en VUA
Tijdschr Gerontol Geriatr 30:158-63. 1999This article focuses on the cutting scores for the measurement of loneliness on the Loneliness Scale. A cutting score is used to distinguish the lonely from the not lonely...
- Social network, social support, and loneliness in older persons with different chronic diseasesB W Penninx
Vrije University, Amsterdam
J Aging Health 11:151-68. 1999This study examines whether patterns of social network size, functional social support, and loneliness are different for older persons with different types of chronic diseases.
- Social contacts and their relationship to loneliness among aged people - a population-based studyPirkko E Routasalo
Department of Nursing Science, University of Turku, Finland
Gerontology 52:181-7. 2006Emotional loneliness and social isolation are major problems in old age. These concepts are interrelated and often used interchangeably, but few studies have investigated them simultaneously thus trying to clarify their relationship.
- Loneliness and risk of mortality: a longitudinal investigation in Alameda County, CaliforniaAndrew C Patterson
University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC, Canada V6T 1Z1
Soc Sci Med 71:181-6. 2010We investigated the prospective impact of self-reported loneliness on all-cause mortality, mortality from ischemic disease and mortality from other cardiovascular diseases...
- Improved self-management ability and well-being in older women after a short group interventionI P Kremers
Department of Geriatrics and Internal Medicine, University Medical Centre Groningen, University of Groningen, Groningen, The Netherlands
Aging Ment Health 10:476-84. 2006..55 years of age and older, improved with regard to self-management ability, well-being, and social and emotional loneliness after having participated in a newly designed self-management group intervention based on the Self-Management of ..
- Genetic and environmental contributions to loneliness in adults: the Netherlands twin register studyDorret I Boomsma
Vrije Universiteit, Van der Boechorststraat 1, 1081 Amsterdam, BT, The Netherlands
Behav Genet 35:745-52. 2005..based on two small studies in children indicate that the genetic contribution to individual differences in loneliness is approximately 50%...
- Effects of psychosocial group rehabilitation on social functioning, loneliness and well-being of lonely, older people: randomized controlled trialPirkko E Routasalo
The Central Union for the Welfare of the Aged, Helsinki, Finland
J Adv Nurs 65:297-305. 2009This paper is a report of a study to explore the effects of psychosocial group nursing intervention on older people's feelings of loneliness, social activity and psychological well-being.
- [Loneliness interventions among older adults: sense or nonsense?]C M Fokkema
NIDI, Den Haag
Tijdschr Gerontol Geriatr 38:185-203. 2007This article focuses on the most important findings of a unique evaluation study of loneliness interventions among older adults...
- Adverse adolescent relationship histories and young adult health: cumulative effects of loneliness, low parental support, relationship instability, intimate partner violence, and lossEmma K Adam
Cells to Society C2S The Center on Social Disparities and Health, Institute for Policy Research, Northwestern University, Evanston, Illinois 60208, USA
J Adolesc Health 49:278-86. 2011..To examine the associations between adverse interpersonal relationship histories experienced during adolescence and health in young adulthood in a large, nationally representative sample...
- Loneliness, social networks, and mortality: 18 years of follow-upEsther Iecovich
Faculty of Health Sciences, Department of Sociology of Health and Gerontology, Ben Gurion University of the Negev, Beer Sheva, Israel
Int J Aging Hum Dev 72:243-63. 2011We examined the influence of changes in loneliness and social support networks upon mortality during 18 years of follow-up among an elderly cohort and determined the gender-specific nature of this relationship...
- Facets of loneliness and depression among Chinese children and adolescentsS Lau
Center for Child Develop, Hong Kong Baptist University, Hong Kong
J Soc Psychol 139:713-29. 1999The authors examined the relation among different facets of loneliness and depression in a sample of 6,356 Chinese children and adolescents from Grades 4-9...
- Loneliness as a sexual risk factor for male Mexican migrant workersMiguel Muñoz-Laboy
Department of Sociomedical Sciences, Mailman School of Public Health, Columbia University, 722 West 168th St, 5th Floor, New York, NY 10032, USA
Am J Public Health 99:802-10. 2009..structured interviews (n = 50), and life history interviews (n = 10) to examine the relationship between loneliness and HIV/AIDS risk for recently arrived (within the last 3 years) male Mexican migrant workers in New York City...
- [A shortened scale for overall, emotional and social loneliness]J de Jong Gierveld
Netherlands Interdisciplinair Demografisch Instituut, Den Haag
Tijdschr Gerontol Geriatr 39:4-15. 2008b>Loneliness is an indicator of social well-being and pertains to the feeling of missing an intimate relationship (emotional loneliness) or missing a wider social network (social loneliness)...
- The effects of reminiscence therapy on psychological well-being, depression, and loneliness among the institutionalized agedKai Jo Chiang
Department of Nursing, Tri Service General Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 25:380-8. 2010To examine the effects of reminiscence therapy on psychological well-being, depression, and loneliness among institutionalized elderly people.
- Patterns of loneliness in an immigrant populationAlexander M Ponizovsky
Mental Health Services, Department of Research and Planning, Ministry of Health, Jerusalem, Israel
Compr Psychiatry 45:408-14. 2004b>Loneliness has been recognized as a public health problem that requires the attention of clinicians and researchers both as a condition in itself and in its relation to other conditions...
- Changes in loneliness during middle childhood predict risk for adolescent suicidality indirectly through mental health problemsAngela C Jones
John Carroll University, USA
J Clin Child Adolesc Psychol 40:818-24. 2011We investigated whether changes in loneliness during middle childhood as well as from middle childhood into adolescence were associated with adolescent self-harm behaviors and suicidal thoughts using a community sample of 889 participants...
- On failed intersubjectivity: Recollections of loneliness experiences in offspring of Holocaust survivorsHadas Wiseman
Faculty of Education, University of Haifa, Haifa, Israel
Am J Orthopsychiatry 78:350-8. 2008Intergenerational consequences of extensive trauma experienced by parents for the loneliness experienced by their children were explored in 52 adults (26 men and 26 women) who grew up in Holocaust survivor families...
- Psychosocial group rehabilitation for lonely older people: favourable processes and mediating factors of the intervention leading to alleviated lonelinessNiina Savikko
The Central Union for the Welfare of the Aged, Helsinki, Finland
Int J Older People Nurs 5:16-24. 2010b>Loneliness among community-dwelling older people is a common problem, with serious health consequences.
- Association of MTHFR C677T polymorphism with loneliness but not depression in cognitively normal elderly malesWen Hsuan Lan
Department of Psychiatry, Taipei Veterans General Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
Neurosci Lett 521:88-91. 2012..The present work aimed to investigate the effect of MTHFR C677T polymorphism on the presence of depression and loneliness in cognitively normal male subjects...
- Islands of loneliness: exploring social interaction through the autobiographies of individuals with autismJulie Causton-Theoharis
Department of Teaching and Leadership, School of Education, Syracuse University, Syracuse, NY 13244, USA
Intellect Dev Disabil 47:84-96. 2009..This article discusses the broad themes of (a) the desire to have connections and (b) navigation through the world of people. Last, implications for the education of individuals with autism are considered...
- An exploration of loneliness: communication and the social networks of older people with cerebral palsyLiora Ballin
Faculty of Health Sciences, The University of Sydney, Australia
J Intellect Dev Disabil 32:315-26. 2007There is a large body of research focusing on the experiences of loneliness of older adults, yet little is known about the loneliness experiences of older adults with lifelong disability...
- Loneliness in patients with rheumatic diseases: the significance of invalidation and lack of social supportMarianne B Kool
Utrecht University, Department of Clinical and Health Psychology, University Medical Center Utrecht, The Netherlands
J Psychol 146:229-41. 2012..b>Loneliness is prevalent in individuals with rheumatic diseases...
- Addressing loneliness in later lifeSimone Pettigrew
UWA Business School, University of Western Australia, Crawley WA, Australia
Aging Ment Health 12:302-9. 2008Social and solitary pastimes with the potential to ameliorate the experience of loneliness among older individuals were investigated for the purpose of informing future interventions designed to reduce the negative consequences of social ..
- Social support, loneliness, recuperative processes, and their direct and indirect effects on healthChris Segrin
Department of Communication, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ 85721, USA
Health Commun 26:221-32. 2011This study tested predictions that potentially explain why social support is associated with better health and loneliness is associated with poorer health...
- The SOLINUT study: analysis of the interaction between nutrition and loneliness in persons aged over 70 yearsM Ferry
CH de Valence et Centre de Prevention CDPRV 26 24 rue du Jeu de Paume 26000 Valence, France
J Nutr Health Aging 9:261-8. 2005Insufficient nutritional status is a frequent problem in the elderly, correlated with aging, diseases, but also environmental factors in this growing part of the population. Loneliness should be one of these factors.
- How daydreaming relates to life satisfaction, loneliness, and social support: the importance of gender and daydream contentRaymond A Mar
Department of Psychology, York University, Toronto, ON, Canada
Conscious Cogn 21:401-7. 2012..we daydream about influences the relation between daydreaming and happiness variables like life satisfaction, loneliness, and perceived social support (Study 3; N=361)...
- Situational versus chronic loneliness as risk factors for all-cause mortalitySharon Shiovitz-Ezra
Paul Baerwald School of Social Work and Social Welfare, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Israel
Int Psychogeriatr 22:455-62. 2010Several international studies have substantiated the role of loneliness as a risk factor for mortality...
- Look (closely) at all the lonely people: age and the social psychology of social supportJason Schnittker
University of Pennsylvania, Department of Sociology, 3718 Locust Walk, Philadelphia, PA 19104 6299, USA
J Aging Health 19:659-82. 2007..This article explores the relationship between age and social support. Previous research on the relationship has reached inconsistent conclusions...
- Relations among loneliness, social anxiety, and problematic Internet useScott E Caplan
Department of Communication, University of Delaware, Newark, DE 19716, USA
Cyberpsychol Behav 10:234-42. 2007..The study examined the extent to which social anxiety explains results previously attributed to loneliness as a predictor of preference for online social interaction and problematic Internet use...
- Loneliness and depression in caregivers of persons with Alzheimer's disease or related disordersR Beeson
University of Akron, USA
Issues Ment Health Nurs 21:779-806. 2000..daughters providing care for Alzheimer's disease family members was conducted to examine the relationships among loneliness and depression and the following variables: quality of the past relationship, relational deprivation, quality of ..
- Boredom-proneness, loneliness, social engagement and depression and their association with cognitive function in older people: a population studyRonan M Conroy
Division of Population Health Sciences, Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland, Dublin, Ireland
Psychol Health Med 15:463-73. 2010..Republic to examine the relationship of cognitive impairment, assessed using the Abbreviated Mental Test, with loneliness, boredom-proneness, social relations, and depression...
- Social isolation, loneliness and health among older adultsCaitlin E Coyle
University of Massachusetts Boston, Boston, MA 02125 3393, USA
J Aging Health 24:1346-63. 2012To examine the relationship of social isolation, loneliness and health outcomes among older adults.
- Perception and negative effect of loneliness in a Chicago Chinese population of older adultsXinQi Dong
Rush Institute for Healthy Aging, 1645 West Jackson Boulevard, Suite 675, Chicago, IL 60612, United States
Arch Gerontol Geriatr 54:151-9. 2012This qualitative study aims to investigate the cultural understandings of loneliness, identify the contexts of loneliness, and to examine its effect on the health and well-being of U.S. Chinese older adults...
- Animal-assisted therapy and loneliness in nursing homes: use of robotic versus living dogsMarian R Banks
Division of Geriatrics, Department of Internal Medicine, Saint Louis University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO, USA
J Am Med Dir Assoc 9:173-7. 2008b>Loneliness is a common problem in long-term care facilities (LTCF) and previous work has shown that animal-assisted therapy (AAT) can to some degree reverse loneliness...
- Living arrangements, social integration, and loneliness in later life: the case of physical disabilityDavid Russell
Center for Home Care Policy and Research, Visiting Nurse Service of New York, New York, NY 10001, USA
J Health Soc Behav 50:460-75. 2009..and social integration, relatively limited research has considered how living arrangements affect risk for loneliness in later life...
- A short-form measure of loneliness among second-generation migrantsF Neto
, Universidade do Porto, R. do Campo Alegre, 1055, 4150 Porto, Portugal
Psychol Rep 88:201-2. 2001The purpose of this study was to investigate the psychometric characteristics of a 6-item measure to assess loneliness among 109 second-generation adolescent migrants...
- Impact of cochlear implantation on speech understanding, depression, and loneliness in the elderlySarah F Poissant
Communication Disorders Department, University of Massachusetts Amherst, Amherst, Massachusetts 01003, USA
J Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 37:488-94. 2008To compare speech understanding ability, the level of depression, and the degree of loneliness experienced by elderly cochlear implant (CI) users (>or= 70 years), adult CI users (<or= 60 years), and elderly hearing aid (HA) users (&..
- Inflammation, Stress, and Social Behavior: Using Ecological Assessments and ModelCharles Raison; Fiscal Year: 2012..Conversely, negative social processes (NSP)-whether measured as loneliness, social isolation or interpersonal conflict-predict disease development and concomitant increases in disease-..
- The Psychosocial &Genetic Basis of Estrogen Metabolism &Blood Pressure in AgingCHRISTOPHER MAURICE MASI; Fiscal Year: 2011..John Cacioppo, this study seeks to explain the effect of psychosocial factors, including loneliness, on age-related changes in systolic blood pressure (SBP)...
- Gene Transfer Tools for Delivery and Investigation of Inner Ear MicroRNAsMICHELLE LYNN STOLLER; Fiscal Year: 2013..In some cases, these individuals contend with feelings of loneliness and depression because they find it difficult to communicate with the people around them...
- Social relationships, economic shocks, sleep and wellbeing among older adultsDIANE SPERLING LAUDERDALE; Fiscal Year: 2013..e., loneliness, anxiety, depression) or predict indicators of physiological function (cognition, inflammatory markers, cortisol ..
- Development of social comparison and its effect on empathyMina Cikara; Fiscal Year: 2011..by applicant): Victims of bullying suffer deleterious psychological consequences including low self-esteem, loneliness, and depression...
- Self-Regulation Failure, Disordered Eating and Overweight in YouthLORI ANNE FRANCIS; Fiscal Year: 2010..findings from several studies provide evidence for psychological correlates including depression, anxiety, loneliness, and social isolation...
- Interpersonal Functioning and Emotion in Borderline PersonalityPaul A Pilkonis; Fiscal Year: 2013..form- frequent disappointments and anger toward others lead to periods of hostile withdrawal, followed by loneliness and fears regarding separation, producing new attempts at approach and reconciliation, which continue until the ..
- HIV Risk among Latino Day Laborers: Structural, Social, and Individual FactorsFernanda T Bianchi; Fiscal Year: 2010..To examine ways in which conditions arising from social and structural factors influence binge drinking and loneliness, and to explore the impact of binge drinking and loneliness on sexual risk behavior;and 3) To examine attitudes ..
- Epidemiologic Study of Neural Reserve and Neurobiology of AgingDavid Alan Bennett; Fiscal Year: 2013..Further, we found that loneliness, psychological distress, and cognitive activity were all related to incident AD, but were not related to ..
- Using SNA to Examine the Long-Term Outcomes of Socially Excluded AdolescentsRICHARD CARL GILMAN; Fiscal Year: 2013..and behavioral outcomes of socially excluded youth? Studies among adults examining constructs such as loneliness, well-being, and health- compromising behaviors experienced or displayed in one part of the network are spread ..
- Pet Dogs as Compensatory Support FiguresKathryn A Kerns; Fiscal Year: 2013..Do children who have more positive interactions with their dogs also experience less loneliness and social anxiety and show fewer conduct problems? 2...
- Maybe, maybe not: Deciding to disclose HIV to familyJulianne M Serovich; Fiscal Year: 2013..to positive outcomes including increased social support, improved physical and mental health outcomes, reduced loneliness and stress, and improved HIV disease management, the decision not to disclose can also lead to positive outcomes...
- Loneliness and biomarkers of Alzheimer's disease in clinically normal elderlyNancy J Donovan; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Loneliness is a state of perceived social and emotional isolation that has been associated with cognitive and functional decline and with a doubling of the risk of Alzheimer's disease (AD) ..
- The role of social factors in cardiovascular risk behaviors disparitiesLAURA SAMUEL; Fiscal Year: 2012..These behaviors are shaped by social environmental resource factors, including social support, loneliness and neighborhood social cohesion...
- Gene-Environment Interactions in Loneliness and Stress Reactivity in Older AdultsTurhan Canli; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Loneliness is a common experience among older individuals that can adversely affect physical and mental health...
- Using ICTs to Enhance Quality of Life Among Older Adults: An Intervention StudyShelia R Cotten; Fiscal Year: 2013..Significance: Depression, physical health decline, loneliness, and social isolation are key issues of concern for older adults...
- Social and Neural Bases of Vulnerability to Fraud in Older AdultsShelley E Taylor; Fiscal Year: 2012..In addition, all of the studies examine how dispositional trust, loneliness, social contact, cognitive functioning, time frame, and financial literacy affect perceptions of trust, deceit, ..
- Dangerous Drugs Prevention Skills for People with Intellectual DisabilitiesMARTIN R SHEEHAN; Fiscal Year: 2010..Individuals with ID are a population at risk for abuse frequently due to their loneliness and need for social acceptance. There is a pressing need to develop prevention materials for this group...
- Gene-Environment Interplay of Social Contexts and Aging-Related OutcomesNancy L Pedersen; Fiscal Year: 2013..data from over 16,000 participants aims to understand why early life adversity, social factors such as isolation and loneliness are associated with diverse outcomes including mortality, and physical, emotional and cognitive health.
- Automated Hearing TestsROBERT H contact MARGOLIS; Fiscal Year: 2010..psychosocial health consequences of untreated hearing loss, including distress, somatization, depression, and loneliness. Current hearing health delivery models are not added to meet the current need...
- Psychological Correlates, Consequences of Late Childhood Friendship DissolutionJulie Wojslawowicz Bowker; Fiscal Year: 2012..who lose friendships and are not able to replace them experience significantly greater victimization and loneliness. Thus, friendship dissolutions represent common yet understudied risk factors that may pose significant dangers ..
- Whole Family Biopsychology as a Marker for AdjustmentVanessa K Johnson; Fiscal Year: 2010..cortisol response, is predicted to protect emerging adults from adjustment problems leading to depression, loneliness, stress, academic failure, substance abuse and other risky behavior...
- Drinking Behaviors of Migrant & Non-Migrant FarmworkersMichael Duke; Fiscal Year: 2003..to the myriad psychosocial factors that can contribute to sustained alcohol abuse: isolation, stress, loneliness, and boredom...
- ON LINE WEB COURSE IMPROVES OLDER PERSON MEMORY SKILLSROBERT RAGER; Fiscal Year: 1999..We expect it will also provide social benefits to overcome some of the problems of loneliness experienced by homebound elderly...
- For Better and For Worse: Late Effects of Cancer and BMT on Spouse-CaregiversMichelle Bishop; Fiscal Year: 2007..Spouses reported less social support, more loneliness, and less posttraumatic growth than BMT survivors...
- Web Based Intervention for African American MothersDiane Brage Hudson; Fiscal Year: 2005..plan; (b) to generate pilot data about psychological outcomes (depressive symptomatology, self-esteem, loneliness, and stress), parenting outcomes (competence and satisfaction), health care utilization outcomes (clinic visits, ..
- National Social Life, Health and Aging ProjectLINDA WAITE; Fiscal Year: 2007..the relationship between older adult sexuality and social embeddedness including: sociability, independence, loneliness, physical, emotional, and sexual abuse. C...
- Nutritional Status of Community Dwelling EldersCHERYL CHEN; Fiscal Year: 2003..number of chronic illnesses, functional status, oral health, polypharmacy, presence of social support, loneliness, and depression) in predicting nutritional status of community-dwelling elders, and 3) the Roy Adaptation Model ..
- Attempted Suicide and Alcohol DependenceKENNETH CONNER; Fiscal Year: 2009..in Aim 2, the focus is on the experience of aloneness, assessed objectively as living alone and subjectively as "loneliness." In Aim 3, a model of suicide planning that incorporates these variables is evaluated that posits reactive ..
- PSYCHOSOCIAL CONTEXT, AGING, AND OVARIAN CYCLE LENGTHSNatasha Spencer; Fiscal Year: 2000DESCRIPTION (Applicant's Abstract): Loneliness and stress may disrupt neuroendocrine function, accelerating reproductive aging in humans as it does in rats...
- Women's Disclosure of Their HIV StatusJULIANNE SEROVICH; Fiscal Year: 2005..negative and positive), social support (friends and family), and indices of mental health (depression, loneliness, self-esteem, anxiety, coping, stress, medical adherence and alcohol and substance use) along with basic ..
- CHILDHOOD SOCIAL PHOBIA: LONG-TERM FOLLOW-UPDeborah Beidel; Fiscal Year: 2004..include headaches or stomach aches, panic attacks, crying, avoidance, general anxiety, dysphoria, a sense of loneliness, and a very restricted range of social relationships...
- INSTRUMENT DEVELOPMENT IN GROUP THERAPYSimon Budman; Fiscal Year: 1991..target problems (Target Problems Measure), interpersonal functioning (Social Adjustment Scale), loneliness (UCLA) Loneliness Scale), overall psychosocial functioning (Global Adjustment Scale), as well as therapist, ..
- SINGLE MOTHERS: A COMPARISON OF ADAPTIVE STRATEGIESELLEN LEWIN; Fiscal Year: 1980..in meeting their parental responsibilities, coping with economic difficulties, and combatting feelings of loneliness and isolation...
- THE EPIDEMIOLOGY AND DYNAMICS OF ADOLESCENT LONELINESSTimothy Brennan; Fiscal Year: 1980This is a study of the epidemiology and etiology of adolescent loneliness in a national sample of youth...
- STRESS SOCIAL SUPPORT AND DISTRESS IN ADOLESCENCEJACQUES LEMPERS; Fiscal Year: 1990..Distress refers to a variety of stress-related outcomes, such as depression, loneliness, delinquency, drug use, behavior problems, academic performance decline, identity conflicts, and a lowering of ..
- TREATMENT OF CHILDHOOD SOCIAL PHOBIADeborah Beidel; Fiscal Year: 2004..Clinical correlates include headaches or stomachaches, panic, avoidance, general anxiety, dysphoria, loneliness, and a very restricted range of social relationships...
- Approach and Avoidance Social MotivationSHELLY GABLE; Fiscal Year: 2004..g., loneliness) and mental health, 2) in the context of everyday social interactions and daily fluctuations in well-being, and ..
- On-Line Web Course Improves Older Persons Memory SkillsROBERT RAGER; Fiscal Year: 2003..interchange, via E-mail and online Chat, an important concomitant of late life learning and a deterrent to loneliness among the elderly...
- FAMILY INFLUENCES ON BORDERLINE OUTCOMEPerry Hoffman; Fiscal Year: 2004..life, including: a) depression, b) alienation in family relationships, c) generalized hopelessness, d) level of loneliness; and 4) reasons for living...
- EOL Care Companion IIEILEEN VAN SCHAIK; Fiscal Year: 2007..will include self-report of their physical and mental well health (SF 12) and their emotional response to their situation (perceived stress, coping, perceived self-competency, and loneliness). [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]
- CHILDREN'S CONCEPTIONS OF LONELINESS--AGE DIFFERENCEJude Cassidy; Fiscal Year: 1991Feelings of loneliness, isolation and alienation are often described as parts of the affective state accompanying school dropout, adolescent suicide, and other failures of healthy development...
- DISCLOSURE AND BEHAVIOR CHANGE FOR PLWASJULIANNE SEROVICH; Fiscal Year: 2001..Measures include those of: social support, relationship satisfaction, loneliness, self-esteem, depression, health locus of control, risk taking behavior, needs assessment, disclosure, and ..
- Sibling Socialization Effects: A Twin-Friend DesignSHIRLEY MC GUIRE; Fiscal Year: 2004..Outcome measures will include assessments of childrens levels of aggression, delinquency, loneliness, depression, and anxiety, as well as childrens personality characteristics and cognitive abilities.
- Relational aggression, victimization, and adjustment during middle childhoodJAMIE OSTROV; Fiscal Year: 2009..revealed robust associations between relational aggression and victimization and hostile attribution biases, loneliness, and depressive symptoms (Crick et al., 2007)...
- BUILDING LIFE SKILLS IN CHILDREN WITH CYSTIC FIBROSISBecky Christian; Fiscal Year: 2001..will show significantly greater improvement in psychosocial adjustment (self-esteem and self-competence, loneliness, impact of illness), functional health (functional disability, treatment adherence), and physiologic health ..
- HIV Risk in Vulnerable YouthRobert Garofalo; Fiscal Year: 2005..g. psychological distress, loneliness, social support, family cohesion, self-esteem), and substance use have all been hypothesized as factors ..
- Network interactions in crossmodal speech perceptionLee Miller; Fiscal Year: 2003..Depression, loneliness, and social anxiety are common conditions afflicting those who suffer this reduced ability to communicate with ..
- @NEWORLD: A VIRTUAL COMMUNITY FOR KIDS WITH CANCERBARBARA RAPCHAK; Fiscal Year: 2003..We will evaluate the intervention by studying program effects in alleviating loneliness, anxiety, and stress...
- PSYCHOSOCIAL MODERATORS OF DISEASE PROGRESSION IN AIDSThomas Patterson; Fiscal Year: 1992..We have simplified our theoretical model, added "loneliness" as a mediator in the "psychosocial" domain, refined the analysis of coping (with the help of our consultant, ..
- Improving Social-Behavioral Adjustment of Adolescents through Parent TrainingAmanda Harrell; Fiscal Year: 2009..g., disruptiveness, loneliness, academic failure) and later negative outcomes (e.g...
- Chicago Endothelial Function StudyLouise C Hawkley; Fiscal Year: 2010..Psychosocial risk factors such as loneliness, hostility, depressive symptoms, perceived stress, and low/ social support have also been shown to predict high ..
- Approach and Avoidance Motivation and Risky BehaviorAmy Strachman; Fiscal Year: 2006..iii) sexual goals are associated with condom-use, iv) sexual goals are associated with psychological well-being (loneliness, anxiety, and depression) and relationship commitment and stability; v) these associations are mediated by the ..
- Predictors of Adaptation Among Indian-AmericansGAGAN KHERA; Fiscal Year: 2005..Adaptation will be operationalized as low levels of depression social anxiety, loneliness, and absence of substance abuse. Participants will be recruited from targeted cities in the U.S...
- Social Isolation, Loneliness, Health & the Aging ProcessJohn Cacioppo; Fiscal Year: 2007..levels of analyses to bear on the relationships among and mechanisms underlying social isolation, feelings of loneliness, health, and the aging process...
- D-Cycloserine Augmentation of Therapy for Pediatric Obsessive-Compulsive DisorderEric Storch; Fiscal Year: 2007..Such agents may have utility in improving outcome, reducing premature therapy termination, and targeting patients who have been treatment refractory. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Risk and Protective Factors in School MaladjustmentGARY LADD; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- The Effects of Community Social and Built Environment on Physical ActivityMing Wen; Fiscal Year: 2007..the community level?; and 5) How are the above relationships sensitive to geographic aggregation levels of community? What are the most appropriate aggregation levels relevant to physical activity? [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- SEXUAL HEALTH PRACTICES OF HOMELESS ADOLESCENTSDONNA REW; Fiscal Year: 2005..The expected outcome is an effective, brief intervention for promoting sexual health that can be delivered to homeless adolescents in an unsheltered environment. ..
- Ethnography of Men Who Have Sex With Male-to-Female Transgender IndividualsMiguel Munoz Laboy; Fiscal Year: 2007....