Genomes and Genes
Summary: Tendency to feel anger toward and to seek to inflict harm upon a person or group.
Publications293 found, 100 shown here
- The comorbid psychiatric symptoms of Internet addiction: attention deficit and hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), depression, social phobia, and hostilityJu Yu Yen
Department of Psychiatry, Kaohsiung Municipal Hsiao Kang Hospital, Kaohsiung Medical University, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
J Adolesc Health 41:93-8. 2007..depression, self-reported symptoms of attention deficit and hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), social phobia, and hostility for adolescents; and (2) evaluate the sex differences of association between Internet addiction and the above-..
- Enhanced expression of cytokines and chemokines by blood monocytes to in vitro lipopolysaccharide stimulation are associated with hostility and severity of depressive symptoms in healthy womenEdward C Suarez
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Duke University Medical Center, P O Box 3328, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Psychoneuroendocrinology 29:1119-28. 2004The current study investigated the relation of hostility and severity of depressive symptoms, separately and jointly, to the capacity of blood monocytes to secrete an array of cytokines when stimulated by bacterial lipopolysaccharide (..
- Hostile marital interactions, proinflammatory cytokine production, and wound healingJanice K Kiecolt-Glaser
Department of Psychiatry, Institute for Behavioral Medicine Research, Ohio State University College of Medicine, 1670 Upham Drive, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
Arch Gen Psychiatry 62:1377-84. 2005..In addition, depression and stress are associated with enhanced production of proinflammatory cytokines that influence a spectrum of conditions associated with aging...
- Optimism, cynical hostility, and incident coronary heart disease and mortality in the Women's Health InitiativeHilary A Tindle
University of Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Circulation 120:656-62. 2009..Trait optimism (positive future expectations) and cynical, hostile attitudes toward others have not been studied together in relation to incident coronary heart disease (CHD) and mortality in postmenopausal women...
- Trait hostility and ambulatory blood pressure among traffic enforcement agents: the effects of stressful social interactionsElizabeth Brondolo
Department of Psychology, St John s University, Jamaica, NY 11439, USA
J Occup Health Psychol 14:110-21. 2009This study investigated the hypothesis that trait hostility is associated with heightened cardiovascular reactivity to potentially stressful social interactions but not to nonsocial activities in the workplace...
- Psychopathy and negative emotionality: analyses of suppressor effects reveal distinct relations with emotional distress, fearfulness, and anger-hostilityBrian M Hicks
Department of Psychology, University of Minnesota Twin Cities Campus, Minneapolis, MN 55455, USA
J Abnorm Psychol 115:276-87. 2006..The results demonstrate that suppressor effects can reconcile the centrality of NEM in classic descriptions of psychopathy with empirical investigations using the PCL-R...
- Hostility, metabolic syndrome, inflammation and cardiac control in young adults: The Young Finns StudyMarko Elovainio
Department of Behavioural Sciences, University of Helsinki, Finland
Biol Psychol 87:234-40. 2011We studied whether there is an association between hostility and cardiovascular heart disease (CHD) risk factors, such as the metabolic syndrome, systemic inflammation and autonomic cardiac control...
- Cynical hostility as a determinant of toothbrushing frequency and oral hygieneHanna Leena Mettovaara
Department of Periodontology and Geriatric Dentistry, Institute of Dentistry, University of Oulu, Oulu, Finland
J Clin Periodontol 33:21-8. 2006Our aim was to investigate whether cynical hostility, self-reported toothbrushing frequency and objectively assessed levels of oral hygiene were associated.
- Association of hostility with coronary artery calcification in young adults: the CARDIA study. Coronary Artery Risk Development in Young AdultsC Iribarren
Kaiser Permanente Division of Research, 3505 Broadway, Oakland, CA 94611, USA
JAMA 283:2546-51. 2000..Psychosocial factors, including personality and character traits, may play a role in the development and expression of coronary artery disease...
- Meta-analyses of prospective studies on coronary heart disease, type A personality, and hostilityM Myrtek
Forschungsgruppe Psychophysiologie, Psychologisches Institut, Universitat Freiburg, Belfortstr 20, 79085 Freiburg, Federal Republic of Germany
Int J Cardiol 79:245-51. 2001Several large-scale prospective studies have failed to find an association between Type A personality (TAP) or hostility and coronary heart disease (CHD)...
- Anger, hostility, and aggression among Iraq and Afghanistan War veterans reporting PTSD and subthreshold PTSDMatthew Jakupcak
VA Puget Sound Health Care System, Seattle, WA, USA
J Trauma Stress 20:945-54. 2007..of posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD) symptomatology and compared on self-report measures of trait anger, hostility, and aggression...
- The relative contributions of hostility and depressive symptoms to the income gradient in hospital-based incidence of ischaemic heart disease: 12-Year follow-up findings from the GLOBE studyGonnie Klabbers
School for Public Health and Primary Care, Maastricht University, 6200 MD, Maastricht, The Netherlands
Soc Sci Med 69:1272-80. 2009There is evidence to support the view that both hostility and depressive symptoms are psychological risk factors for ischaemic heart disease (IHD), additional to the effects of lifestyle and biomedical risk factors...
- Dietary intake of n-3, n-6 fatty acids and fish: relationship with hostility in young adults--the CARDIA studyC Iribarren
Division of Research, Kaiser Permanente, Oakland, CA, USA
Eur J Clin Nutr 58:24-31. 2004b>Hostility has been shown to predict both the development and manifestation of coronary disease...
- Hostility, age, and mortality in a sample of cardiac patientsStephen H Boyle
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina, USA
Am J Cardiol 96:64-6. 2005This study examined hostility as a predictor of survival in a sample of 1,328 patients who had documented coronary artery disease. After controlling for disease severity, there was a significant interaction between age and hostility...
- Comparing impulsiveness, hostility, and depression in borderline personality disorder and bipolar II disorderScott T Wilson
Department of Neuroscience, New York State Psychiatric Institute, NY 10032, USA
J Clin Psychiatry 68:1533-9. 2007..disorder (BPD) and bipolar II disorder can be differentiated from each other and from major depressive disorder (MDD) by comparing depression severity, impulsiveness, and hostility in mood disorder patients with and without BPD.
- Hostility and physiological responses to laboratory stress in acute coronary syndrome patientsLena Brydon
Psychobiology Group, Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, University College London, London, United Kingdom
J Psychosom Res 68:109-16. 2010..b>Hostility is associated with heightened reactivity to stress in healthy individuals, and with an elevated risk of adverse ..
- The Ambiguous Intentions Hostility Questionnaire (AIHQ): a new measure for evaluating hostile social-cognitive biases in paranoiaDennis R Combs
Department of Psychology, University of Tulsa, OK 74104, USA
Cogn Neuropsychiatry 12:128-43. 2007..of a new measure of hostile social-cognitive biases for use in paranoia research, the Ambiguous Intentions Hostility Questionnaire (AIHQ)...
- Psychosocial factors in the development of heart disease in women: current research and future directionsCarissa A Low
Department of Psychiatry, University of Pittsburgh, 3811 O Hara Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15213
Psychosom Med 72:842-54. 2010..To review the recent (1995-2009) literature on psychosocial risk and protective factors for coronary heart disease (CHD) among women, including negative emotions, stress, social relationships, and positive psychological factors...
- Perceptions of hostility by persons with and without persecutory delusionsDennis R Combs
Department of Psychology, University of Texas at Tyler, Tyler, TX 75799, USA
Cogn Neuropsychiatry 14:30-52. 2009..Thus, a social-cognitive bias for the perception of hostility may be present...
- Hostility and urine norepinephrine interact to predict insulin resistance: the VA Normative Aging StudyJianping Zhang
Department of Psychology, Indiana University Purdue University Indianapolis, Indianapolis, Indiana, USA
Psychosom Med 68:718-26. 2006Previous research has produced mixed results pertaining to the association between hostility and insulin resistance...
- Hostility in marital dyads: associations with depressive symptomsB H Brummett
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
J Behav Med 23:95-105. 2000We examined the relations of hostility (of self and spouse) with self-ratings of depressive symptoms in 898 spouse pairs. Self-ratings of hostility were initially examined as predictors of depression...
- Impact of aging on hostility in coronary patients and effects of cardiac rehabilitation and exercise training in elderly personsCarl J Lavie
Ochsner Heart and Vascular Institute, New Orleans, LA 70121, USA
Am J Geriatr Cardiol 13:125-30. 2004b>Hostility is a coronary artery disease (CAD) risk factor affecting recovery after major CAD events...
- Influence of trait hostility on tryptophan depletion-induced laboratory aggressionD M Dougherty
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, University of Texas Houston Medical School, 77030, USA
Psychiatry Res 88:227-32. 1999..Further research indicates that male subjects selected for high trait hostility are particularly prone to increased aggression following plasma Trp depletion...
- Hostility scores are associated with increased risk of cardiovascular events in women undergoing coronary angiography: a report from the NHLBI-Sponsored WISE StudyMarian B Olson
Department of Epidemiology, Graduate School of Public Health, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA 15261, USA
Psychosom Med 67:546-52. 2005To evaluate hostility-related personality traits assessed by the Cook Medley Hostility Inventory and to relate these to the occurrence of adverse cardiac events in women with suspected myocardial ischemia.
- The effects of violent video game habits on adolescent hostility, aggressive behaviors, and school performanceDouglas A Gentile
National Institute on Media and the Family, 606 24th Avenue South, Suite 606, Minneapolis, MN 55454, USA
J Adolesc 27:5-22. 2004..The second goal was to examine associations among violent video game exposure, hostility, arguments with teachers, school grades, and physical fights...
- The relation of aggression, hostility, and anger to lipopolysaccharide-stimulated tumor necrosis factor (TNF)-alpha by blood monocytes from normal menEdward C Suarez
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Box 3328, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27110, USA
Brain Behav Immun 16:675-84. 2002Aggression, hostility, and anger significantly predict morbidity and mortality from atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease (ACVD)...
- A meta-analytic review of research on hostility and physical healthT Q Miller
Department of Preventive Medicine and Community Health, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston 77555 1153, USA
Psychol Bull 119:322-48. 1996A new meta-analysis of research on hostility and physical health was conducted that includes 15 studies used in previous meta-analytic reviews and 30 new independent studies...
- Hostility predicts recurrent events among postmenopausal women with coronary heart diseaseLily A Chaput
Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, School of Medicine, University of California San Francisco, 94115, USA
Am J Epidemiol 156:1092-9. 2002Psychosocial characteristics may be associated with an increased risk of coronary heart disease (CHD). Whether hostility predicts recurrent coronary events is unknown...
- Hostility may explain the association between depressive mood and mortality: evidence from the French GAZEL cohort studyCédric Lemogne
Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, Department of C L Psychiatry, European Georges Pompidou Hospital, Paris Descartes University, Paris, France
Psychother Psychosom 79:164-71. 2010..Because personality has been found to be associated with depression and mortality as well, we aimed to test whether depressive mood could predict mortality when adjusting for several measures of personality...
- Hostility and distraction have differential influences on cardiovascular recovery from anger recall in womenSenna A Neumann
Department of Psychology, University of Maryland, Baltimore County, Catonsville, MD 21250, USA
Health Psychol 23:631-40. 2004This study investigated the relation of dispositional hostility to cardiovascular reactivity during an anger-recall task and of hostility and distraction to posttask recovery in 80 healthy women (ages 18-30)...
- Hostility is related to clusters of T-cell cytokines and chemokines in healthy menPaula M C Mommersteeg
Laboratory for Psychoneuroimmunology, University Medical Center Utrecht, KC03 068 0, Lundlaan 6, 3584EA Utrecht, The Netherlands
Psychoneuroendocrinology 33:1041-50. 2008b>Hostility is a risk factor for adverse health outcomes as diverse as cardiovascular disease and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). Cytokines have been suggested to mediate this relationship...
- Antagonistic characteristics are positively associated with inflammatory markers independently of trait negative emotionalityAnna L Marsland
Behavioral Immunology Laboratory, Department of Psychology, University of Pittsburgh, 3943 O Hara Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15260, USA
Brain Behav Immun 22:753-61. 2008..To date, this literature has focused on the related traits of hostility and negative affect (NA)...
- The marital context of depression: research, limitations, and new directionsUzma S Rehman
Department of Psychology, Queen s University, Kingston, Ontario, Canada K7L 4H4
Clin Psychol Rev 28:179-98. 2008..Future interpersonal theories need to better account for depression epidemiology and the gender difference in rates of depression, as well as incorporate ideas from other theoretical perspectives...
- Meta-analysis of aggression or hostility events in randomized, controlled clinical trials of atomoxetine for ADHDJohn Polzer
Lilly Research Laboratories, Indianapolis, Indiana 46285, USA
Biol Psychiatry 61:713-9. 2007We systematically examined potential aggression/hostility-related events in a meta-analysis of acute clinical trials of atomoxetine for attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).
- Hostility as a predictor of survival in patients with coronary artery diseaseStephen H Boyle
Department of Psychiatry, Duke University Medical Center, Box 2969, Durham, NC, USA
Psychosom Med 66:629-32. 2004..a reanalysis of an earlier study that reported a nonsignificant relation between the 50-item Cook-Medley Hostility Scale (CMHS) and survival in a sample of coronary patients...
- Anger, hostility, and posttraumatic stress disorder in trauma-exposed adults: a meta-analysisUlrich Orth
Department of Psychology, University of Berne, Berne, Switzerland
J Consult Clin Psychol 74:698-706. 2006..available data on the strength of association between anger and posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and between hostility and PTSD, covering 39 studies with trauma-exposed adults...
- Hostility is associated with increased platelet activation in coronary heart diseaseJ H Markovitz
Division of Preventive Medicine, University of Alabama, Birmingham 35205, USA
Psychosom Med 60:586-91. 1998To determine whether Potential for Hostility is related to platelet activation (PA) among patients with coronary heart disease (CHD) and healthy controls...
- Cynical hostility, socioeconomic position, health behaviors, and symptom load: a cross-sectional analysis in a Danish population-based studyUlla Christensen
Department of Social Medicine, Institute of Public Health, University of Copenhagen, Panum Institute, Blegdamsvej 3, DK 2200 Copenhagen N, Denmark
Psychosom Med 66:572-7. 2004To analyze the cross-sectional association between cynical hostility and high symptom load in a Danish population-based study. Furthermore, the aim was to investigate to what extent health risk behaviors mediated this association.
- A quantitative analysis of the relationship between the Cook-Medley Hostility Scale and traditional coronary artery disease risk factorsJames Bunde
Department of Psychology, University of Iowa, Spence Labs, Iowa City, Iowa 52242 1407, USA
Health Psychol 25:493-500. 2006One possible explanation for the association between Cook-Medley Hostility Scale (Ho Scale; W. W. Cook & D. M...
- Hostility is associated with a heightened prolactin response to meta-chlorophenylpiperazine in abstinent cocaine addictsL Handelsman
Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Psychiatry Res 80:1-12. 1998..35 mg/kg, was associated with a measure of trait hostility, the Buss Durkee Hostility Inventory (BDHI), in cocaine addicts who were completing a 3-week detoxification and ..
- Inter-parental conflict and children's academic attainment: a longitudinal analysisGordon T Harold
School of Psychology, Cardiff University, Cardiff, UK
J Child Psychol Psychiatry 48:1223-32. 2007..The present longitudinal study extends this body of research by considering the impact of inter-parental conflict on children's low academic attainment among a sample of 230 schoolchildren (age 11-13 years) living in the United Kingdom...
- Anger inhibition, cardiovascular recovery, and vagal function: a model of the link between hostility and cardiovascular diseaseJ F Brosschot
University of Amsterdam
Ann Behav Med 20:326-32. 1998A model of the association between hostility and cardiovascular disease (CVD) is proposed based upon anger inhibition, slow cardiovascular recovery, and low parasympathetic activity (vagal tone)...
- Cynical hostility, depressive symptoms, and the expression of inflammatory risk markers for coronary heart diseaseGregory E Miller
Department of Psychology, Washington University, Saint Louis, Missouri, USA
J Behav Med 26:501-15. 2003Although the prognostic significance of depression and hostility has been established, little is known about how they operate together to influence disease processes...
- The relational context of aggression in borderline personality disorder: using adult attachment style to predict forms of hostilityKenneth L Critchfield
IRT Clinic, University of Utah Neuropsychiatric Institute, Salt Lake City, UT 84108, USA
J Clin Psychol 64:67-82. 2008..attachment dimensions of relationship anxiety and avoidance are associated in BPD with the following forms of hostility: (a) direct aggression (verbal or physical) initiated towards others, (b) expectation/perception of aggression ..
- Aggressiveness, anger, and hostility in eating disordersPaola Miotto
Eating Disorders Unit, Department of Mental Health, ULSS 7, Conegliano, TV, Italy
Compr Psychiatry 49:364-73. 2008..Despite evidence of a link between the behavioral and cognitive dimensions of aggressiveness and eating disorders, only few studies have tested this relation empirically...
- Aggravating conditions: cynical hostility and neighborhood ambient stressorsKatherine King
Environmental Protection Agency, 104 Mason Farm Road, Chapel Hill, NC 27514, USA
Soc Sci Med 75:2258-66. 2012This study is the first to investigate neighborhood clustering of a personality trait--cynical hostility (a sense of mistrust of others amplified by suspicious antagonism...
- Melancholic features and hostility are associated with suicidality risk in Asian patients with major depressive disorderHong Jin Jeon
Department of Psychiatry, Depression Center, Samsung Medical Center, Sungkyunkwan University School of Medicine, Seoul, South Korea
J Affect Disord 148:368-74. 2013..Suicide rates are higher in East-Asians than other populations, and especially high in Koreans. However, little is known about suicidality risk and melancholic features in Asian patients with major depressive disorder (MDD)...
- Relationships between hostility, anger expression, and blood pressure dipping in an ethnically diverse sampleKaMala S Thomas
San Diego State University, San Diego Joint Doctoral, Program in Clinical Psychology, San Diego, CA, USA
Psychosom Med 66:298-304. 2004The purpose of this study was to examine relationships between hostility, anger expression, and blood pressure (BP) dipping.
- Emotional expressiveness, hostility and blood pressure in a longitudinal cohort of Alzheimer caregiversWilliam S Shaw
Liberty Mutual Center for Disability Research, Hopkinton, MA, USA
J Psychosom Res 54:293-302. 2003..To assess the interactive effect of chronic stress and emotional expressiveness (EE) on blood pressure (BP) in older adults...
- Hostility and fasting glucose in African American womenAnastasia Georgiades
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Duke University School of Medicine, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
Psychosom Med 71:642-5. 2009To examine whether the relationship of hostility (HOST) to fasting glucose indices is moderated by sex and race. HOST has been associated with abnormalities in glucose metabolism...
- Hostility is associated with visceral, but not subcutaneous, fat in middle-aged African American and white womenTene T Lewis
Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, Yale University School of Medicine, 60 College Street, 4th Floor, New Haven, CT 06520, USA
Psychosom Med 71:733-40. 2009To examine the cross-sectional association between hostility and measures of abdominal fat (visceral, subcutaneous) in middle-aged African American and white women...
- Prospective study of a self-report type A scale and risk of coronary heart disease: test of the MMPI-2 type A scaleI Kawachi
Department of Health and Social Behavior, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, Mass 02115, USA
Circulation 98:405-12. 1998..To the best of our knowledge, this is the first test of this scale in the context of predicting CHD incidence...
- Associations of depressive symptoms, trait hostility, and gender with C-reactive protein and interleukin-6 response after emotion recallBeverly H Brummett
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
Psychosom Med 72:333-9. 2010To examine the effects of depressive symptoms and hostility on changes in C-reactive protein (CRP) and interleukin (IL)-6 in response to an acute laboratory stressor...
- Effects of clozapine, olanzapine, risperidone, and haloperidol on hostility among patients with schizophreniaL Citrome
Nathan Kline Institute for Psychiatric Research in Orangeburg, New York 10962, USA
Psychiatr Serv 52:1510-4. 2001..This study compared the specific antiaggressive effects of clozapine with those of olanzapine, risperidone, and haloperidol...
- Hostility, gender, and cardiac autonomic controlR P Sloan
Department of Psychiatry, Columbia University, New York, NY 10032, USA
Psychosom Med 63:434-40. 2001Although considerable evidence implicates hostility in the development of coronary artery disease (CAD), the pathogenic mechanisms remain poorly understood...
- Serum lipids and their relationships with hostility and angry affect and behaviors in menJ C Richards
Department of Psychology, School of Behavioural and Social Sciences and Humanities, University of Ballarat, Victoria, Australia
Health Psychol 19:393-8. 2000..into the relationship between the Type A behavior pattern and coronary heart disease suggests that the anger-hostility-aggression (AHA!) syndrome is directly related to total serum cholesterol and low-density lipoproteins...
- Hostility predicts magnitude and duration of blood pressure response to angerB L Fredrickson
Department of Psychology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor 48109 1109, USA
J Behav Med 23:229-43. 2000..Each took part in a structured interview scored using the Interpersonal Hostility Assessment Technique...
- Cynical hostility, anger, and resting blood pressureJ Spicer
Department of Psychology, Massey University, Palmerston North, New Zealand
J Psychosom Res 40:359-68. 1996Research on associations of anger and hostility with resting blood pressure (BP) has generally ignored their interrelationships...
- Mental health and hostility as predictors of temporary employment: evidence from two prospective studiesMarianna Virtanen
Finnish Institute of Occupational Health, University of Helsinki, Helsinki, Finland
Soc Sci Med 61:2084-95. 2005We used two studies to examine whether mental health and hostility predicted temporary employment. Study 1 involved a cohort of 970 Finnish hospital employees (102 men, 868 women) who had temporary job contracts at baseline...
- Hostility and depressive mood: results from the Whitehall II prospective cohort studyH Nabi
INSERM U687 IFR69, Villejuif, F 94807, France
Psychol Med 40:405-13. 2010The psychosocial vulnerability model of hostility posits that hostile individuals, given their oppositional attitudes and behaviours, are more likely to have increased interpersonal conflicts, lower social support, more stressful life ..
- Hostility in the real world and online: the effect of internet addiction, depression, and online activityJu Yu Yen
Department of Psychiatry, Kaohsiung Medical University Hospital, Kaohsiung City, Taiwan
Cyberpsychol Behav Soc Netw 14:649-55. 2011b>Hostility online has not been evaluated by an empirical investigation...
- Anger and hostility from the perspective of the Big Five personality modelJesus Sanz
Department of Personality, Assessment and Clinical Psychology, Complutense University of Madrid, Spain
Scand J Psychol 51:262-70. 2010..the personality dimensions of the five-factor model or Big Five with trait anger and with two specific traits of hostility (mistrust and confrontational attitude), and identifying the similarities and differences between trait anger ..
- Anxiety and hostility in the manifest dreams of schizophrenic patientsThomas Stompe
University Clinic of Psychiatry Vienna, General Hospital Vienna, Austria
J Nerv Ment Dis 191:806-12. 2003..As in delusions of persecution, patients experience themselves in their dreams more frequently as victims of hostility from outside, which corresponds well with a significantly higher intensity of threat anxieties (death, ..
- Blood pressure morning surge and hostilityJ Pasic
Department of Medicine, UCLA School of Medicine, Los Angeles, California 90024-1759, USA
Am J Hypertens 11:245-50. 1998This study examined the effects of hostility on blood pressure (BP) during the early morning hours before awakening and several hours afterward...
- Physically abused children's regulation of attention in response to hostilitySeth D Pollak
Department of Psychology, University of Wisconsin at Madison, Madison, WI 53706 1696, USA
Child Dev 76:968-77. 2005..experiences on children's regulation or strategic control of attention in the presence of interpersonal hostility. Abused children's reactions to the unfolding of a realistic interpersonal emotional situation were measured ..
- Association of salivary cortisol circadian pattern with cynical hostility: multi-ethnic study of atherosclerosisNalini Ranjit
Michael and Susan Dell Center for Advancement of Healthy Living, University of Texas School of Public Health, Austin Regional Campus, Texas, USA
Psychosom Med 71:748-55. 2009To determine if cynical hostility is associated with alterations in diurnal profiles of cortisol. Hostility has been linked to cardiovascular disease but the biological mechanisms mediating this association remain unknown.
- Are hostility and anxiety associated with carotid atherosclerosis in healthy postmenopausal women?K A Matthews
Department of Psychiatry, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pennsylvania 15213, USA
Psychosom Med 60:633-8. 1998In this article, we evaluated the prospective association between measures of trait anger, hostility, and anxiety and indices of carotid atherosclerosis in 200 healthy middle-aged postmenopausal women.
- A urinary marker of oxidative stress covaries positively with hostility among midlife community volunteersJudith E Carroll
MS, Behavioral Immunology Laboratory, University of Pittsburgh, Old Engineering Hall, Suite 600, 3943 O Hara St, Pittsburgh, PA 15260
Psychosom Med 72:273-80. 2010Although not all findings are consistent, growing evidence suggests that individuals high in dispositional hostility are at elevated risk for cardiovascular disease and all-cause mortality; however, the mechanisms of these associations ..
- Parent-child hostility and child ADHD symptoms: a genetically sensitive and longitudinal analysisKate J Lifford
Cardiff University, UK
J Child Psychol Psychiatry 50:1468-76. 2009..This study aimed to test whether negative parent-child relationships have a risk effect on ADHD symptoms using two complementary designs...
- Correlates of anger and hostility in Iraq and Afghanistan war veteransEric B Elbogen
Department of Psychiatry, Forensic Psychiatry Program and Clinic, University of North Carolina Chapel Hill School of Medicine, Durham, NC 27599, USA
Am J Psychiatry 167:1051-8. 2010..Each of these conditions has been associated with elevated anger and hostility in veterans from previous conflicts...
- Hostility and change in cognitive function over time in older blacks and whitesLisa L Barnes
Rush Alzheimer s Disease Center, Rush University Medical Center, Chicago, Illinois 60612, USA
Psychosom Med 71:652-8. 2009To test whether the level of hostility predicted the rate of cognitive decline in a community of older blacks and whites and whether the association varied as a function of race.
- Hostility and coping capacity as risk factors of elder mistreatmentH C Comijs
Institute for Research in Extramural Medicine, Vrije Universiteit, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol 34:48-52. 1999..commonly used instruments were utilised to assess coping style, locus of control, perceived self-efficacy and hostility. To analyse the data multivariate logistic regression analyses were performed...
- Efficacy of antipsychotic drugs against hostility in the European First-Episode Schizophrenia Trial (EUFEST)Jan Volavka
Department of Psychiatry, New York University School of Medicine, New York, NY, USA
J Clin Psychiatry 72:955-61. 2011To compare the effects of haloperidol, amisulpride, olanzapine, quetiapine, and ziprasidone on hostility in first-episode schizophrenia, schizoaffective disorder, or schizophreniform disorder.
- Valproate for hostility in schizophrenia patientsKimberly H Littrell
J Clin Psychiatry 65:134. 2004
- Hostility, anger, and marital adjustment: concurrent and prospective associations with psychosocial vulnerabilityKelly Glazer Baron
Department of Psychology, University of Utah, 390 South 1530 East rm 502, Salt Lake City, UT 84112, USA
J Behav Med 30:1-10. 2007b>Hostility may contribute to risk for disease through psychosocial vulnerability, including the erosion of the quality of close relationships...
- Bullies at work: the impact of horizontal hostility in the hospital setting and intent to leaveBarbara L Wilson
College of Nursing and Health Innovation, Arizona State University, Phoenix, Arizona 85004 0698, USA
J Nurs Adm 41:453-8. 2011..Behaviors consistent with horizontal hostility (HH) range from overt behavioral manifestations such as infighting among nurses; sabotage (where pertinent ..
- Inflammation, cardiovascular disease, and metabolic syndrome as sequelae of violence against women: the role of depression, hostility, and sleep disturbanceKathleen A Kendall-Tackett
Family Research Lab, University of New Hampshire, USA
Trauma Violence Abuse 8:117-26. 2007..In this article, the author describes how three sequelae of violence against women-depression, hostility, and sleep disturbance-can increase the risk of disease...
- The relationship between socioeconomic status, hostility, and blood pressure reactions to mental stress in men: data from the Whitehall II studyD Carroll
School of Sport and Exercise Sciences, University of Birmingham, England
Health Psychol 16:131-6. 1997This study investigated the relationship among blood pressure reactions to mental stress, cynical hostility, and socioeconomic status (SES) in 1,091 male public servants...
- Hostility-aggressiveness, sensation seeking, and sex hormones in men: re-exploring their relationshipAnton Aluja
Department of Pedagogy and Psychology, University of Leida, Lleida, Spain
Neuropsychobiology 50:102-7. 2004To evaluate the relationship between sex hormones and aggressiveness, hostility and sensation seeking we studied 30 healthy males...
- Fathering and mothering in the family system: linking marital hostility and aggression in adopted toddlersCarla Smith Stover
Child Study Center, Yale University School of Medicine, 230 S Frontage Road, New Haven, CT 06514, USA
J Child Psychol Psychiatry 53:401-9. 2012....
- Longitudinal pathways from marital hostility to child anger during toddlerhood: genetic susceptibility and indirect effects via harsh parentingKimberly A Rhoades
Oregon Social Learning Center, 10 Shelton McMurphey Boulevard, Eugene, OR 97401, USA
J Fam Psychol 25:282-91. 2011We examined direct and indirect pathways from marital hostility to toddler anger/frustration via harsh parenting and parental depressive symptoms, with an additional focus on the moderating role of genetic influences as inferred from ..
- Cynical hostility as a determinant of poor oral health status in an adult populationA L Suominen-Taipale
Department of Health and Functional Capacity, National Public Health Institute, Helsinki, Finland
Eur J Oral Sci 117:144-53. 2009Our aim in this study was to determine whether there is an association between cynical hostility and clinically determined poor oral health, and whether this association is confounded by socioeconomic position and mediated by health ..
- Rejection sensitivity and the rejection-hostility link in romantic relationshipsRainer Romero-Canyas
J Pers 78:119-48. 2010..on rejection sensitivity that has provided evidence for the link between anxious expectations of rejection and hostility after rejection. We review evidence that rejection sensitivity functions as a defensive motivational system...
- Cynical hostility and stimulated Th1 and Th2 cytokine productionDenise Janicki-Deverts
Department of Psychology, Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Brain Behav Immun 24:58-63. 2010b>Hostility has been associated with heightened proinflammatory activity. However, it is not known whether greater hostility contributes to greater inflammation by promoting higher Th1 activity, lower Th2 activity, or both...
- Anger, hostility, and aggression as predictors of persistent smoking during pregnancyRina D Eiden
Research Institute on Addictions, State University of New York at Buffalo, 1021 Main Street, Buffalo, New York 14203, USA
J Stud Alcohol Drugs 72:926-32. 2011We examined the role of anger, hostility, and aggression, in addition to depression and stress, in predicting persistent smoking during pregnancy in a low-income sample.
- Reliability reporting across studies using the Buss Durkee Hostility InventoryMatt Vassar
College of Osteopathic Medicine, Center for Health Sciences, Oklahoma State University, 1111 W 17th St, Tulsa, OK 74107, USA
J Interpers Violence 24:20-37. 2009Empirical research on anger and hostility has pervaded the academic literature for more than 50 years...
- Hostility and cellular aging in men from the Whitehall II cohortLena Brydon
Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, University College London, United Kingdom
Biol Psychiatry 71:767-73. 2012b>Hostility is associated with a significantly increased risk of age-related disease and mortality, yet the pathophysiological mechanisms involved remain unclear...
- Cynical hostility, anger expression style, and acute myocardial infarction in middle-aged Japanese menShuhei Izawa
National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health, Kawasaki shi, Kanagawa, Japan
Behav Med 37:81-6. 2011Studies using American and European populations have demonstrated that high levels of anger/ hostility are predictive of coronary heart disease (CHD) mortality...
- Social support and hostility as predictors of depressive symptoms in cardiac patients one month after hospitalization: a prospective studyB H Brummett
Behavioral Medicine Research Center and the Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
Psychosom Med 60:707-13. 1998..The present study assessed the prospective relations among perceptions of social support and trait hostility in predicting symptoms of depressive symptoms at 1 month after hospitalization for a diagnostic angiography in ..
- Hostility, physical aggression and trait anger as predictors for suicidal behavior in Chinese adolescents: a school-based studyPing Zhang
The Department of Child, Adolescence and Woman Health Care, School of Public Health, Tongji Medical College, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan, Peoples Republic of China
PLoS ONE 7:e31044. 2012..This study explored the extent to which trait aggression is associated with suicidal behavior in a nationwide school-based sample of adolescents...
- Influence of apologies and trait hostility on recovery from angerJeremy C Anderson
The University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC, Canada
J Behav Med 29:347-58. 2006..Participants scoring high in trait hostility displayed faster systolic blood pressure recovery when they received a genuine apology, but recovered more ..
- Cynical hostility and carotid atherosclerosis in African American and white women: the Study of Women's Health Across the Nation (SWAN) Heart StudySusan A Everson-Rose
Department of Preventive Medicine, Rush University Medical Center, Chicago, IL 60612 2391, USA
Am Heart J 152:982.e7-13. 2006b>Hostility is associated with increased cardiovascular disease mortality and morbidity and may be related to subclinical atherosclerosis; less is known about this association among women and minority groups.
- Hostility now, depression later? Longitudinal associations among emotional risk factors for coronary artery diseaseJesse C Stewart
Department of Psychology, Indiana University Purdue University Indianapolis, Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
Ann Behav Med 39:258-66. 2010..We examined the longitudinal associations among measures of depressive symptoms and hostility/anger in a cohort of 296 healthy, older adults.
- Longitudinal effects of hostility, depression, and bullying on adolescent smoking initiationJie W Weiss
Department of Health Science, California State University, Fullerton, California 92834, USA
J Adolesc Health 48:591-6. 2011The present study examined the associations between smoking initiation and, hostility, depressive symptoms, and bullying (bullies and bully-victims) among a culturally diverse sample of 1,771 adolescents who reported never having smoked ..
- Prevalence of hostility in young coronary artery disease patients and effects of cardiac rehabilitation and exercise trainingCarl J Lavie
Department of Cardiology, Ochsner Clinic Foundation, New Orleans, LA 70121, USA
Mayo Clin Proc 80:335-42. 2005To determine the prevalence of hostility symptoms in young patients with coronary artery disease (CAD), the associated risk factor profile in these patients, and the effects of a formal phase 2 cardiac rehabilitation and exercise ..
- A prospective cohort study of deficient maternal nurturing attitudes predicting adulthood work stress independent of adulthood hostility and depressive symptomsM Hintsanen
Institute of Behavioural Sciences, Psychology, University of Helsinki, Helsinki, Finland
Stress 13:425-34. 2010..were not explained by age, gender, socioeconomic circumstances, maternal mental problems or participant hostility, and depressive symptoms...
- Examination of anxiety, hostility and psychiatric disorders in patients with migraine and tension-type headacheB Bag
Department of Psychiatry Nursing, College of Nursing, Ataturk University, Erzurum, Turkey
Int J Clin Pract 59:515-21. 2005..The aim of this study was to evaluate anxiety, depression, hostility and psychological symptoms in patients with migraine and tension-type headache (TTH) and to compare the results ..
- Hostility, anger, and depression predict increases in C3 over a 10-year periodStephen H Boyle
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Brain Behav Immun 21:816-23. 2007We examined the relation of hostility, anger, and depression to 10-year changes in the third (C3), and fourth (C4) complement in 313, apparently healthy male participants enrolled in the Air Force Health Study (AFHS), a 20-year study ..
- The impact of psychoticism on perceived hassles, depression, hostility, and hopelessness in non-psychiatric African AmericansMichael T Compton
Emory University School of Medicine, Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, 49 Jesse Hill Jr Drive, S E, Room 333, Atlanta, GA 30303, United States
Psychiatry Res 159:215-25. 2008..Psychoticism, perceived hassles, depression, hostility, and hopelessness were measured...
- "Horizontal hostility"Sandra P Thomas
Am J Nurs 103:87-91. 2003
- Observed hostility and the risk of incident ischemic heart disease: a prospective population study from the 1995 Canadian Nova Scotia Health SurveyJonathan D Newman
Department of Medicine, Columbia University Medical Center, New York, New York 10032, USA
J Am Coll Cardiol 58:1222-8. 2011The aim of this study was to examine the relation between hostility and incident ischemic heart disease (IHD) and to determine whether observed hostility is superior to patient-reported hostility for the prediction of IHD in a large, ..
- THE ETHICS OF POST-CONFLICT AND POST-DISASTER DNA IDENTIFICATIONSarah Wagner; Fiscal Year: 2013..PUBLIC HEALTH RELEVANCE: A major cause of anger, despair, and hostility in post-conflict and post-disaster settings around the world is the uncertainty and lack of closure felt by ..
- Steroid Regulation of Serotonin in MalesCYNTHIA LOUISE BETHEA; Fiscal Year: 2013..and anxiety disorders more frequently in women, but deficits in serotonin in men often underlie irritability, hostility, anger, rage, and aggression leading to violence...
- Stress and Subclinical Cardio-Metabolic Disease in Police: A Longitudinal StudyJohn M Violanti; Fiscal Year: 2013..be examined are psychosocial factors known to be detrimental to health such as perceived stress, depression, and hostility, and factors known to be protective (e.g., resiliency and social support)...
- Hostility, PTSD and Physical Health Risk FactorsJean C Beckham; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and high hostility are significant risk factors for poor health...
- Depression &CHD: Cellular-Molecular MechanismsEDWARD CARLOS SUAREZ; Fiscal Year: 2013..MB-PHP) in reducing (a) the combination of psychological risk factor (PRF) of severity of depressive symptoms, hostility and anger shown to predict 20-year incidence of CHD and (b) insulin resistance (IR)...
- Agonistic Stress and CVD Risk in Young AdultsCraig K Ewart; Fiscal Year: 2010..data from the 3 original PH studies to generate indices of adolescent AG behavior, AG stress (AS;anger arousal / hostility/ hostile environment), Dysphoric Affect (DA;anxiety/ depression/ isolation), and risky health habits (RHH), for ..
- The Psychosocial &Genetic Basis of Estrogen Metabolism &Blood Pressure in AgingCHRISTOPHER MAURICE MASI; Fiscal Year: 2011..Recent data from CHASRS indicate that loneliness and hostility are associated with urinary estrogen metabolite concentrations and these concentrations are associated with SBP...
- Intimate partner violence in newly married couples: The role of illicit drug use.Philip H Smith; Fiscal Year: 2012..g. antisocial personality, hostility) in conjunction with proximal risk factors (e.g...
- Inter-Parental Conflict, Maternal Behavior, and Mother-Child PhysiologyLEAH CORINNE HIBEL; Fiscal Year: 2012..Despite strong evidence that conflict and hostility between marital partners spillsover to effect parenting behaviors, mechanisms explaining how affect and mood ..
- NMR STUDIES OF BACTERIAL REGULATORY PROTEINSJohn Cavanagh; Fiscal Year: 2012..In times of change/hostility bacteria encode genes normally unexpressed...
- The Impact of Stress and Psychosocial Factors on Inflammation in WomenSusan A Everson-Rose; Fiscal Year: 2012..strain, perceived stress, stressful life events, perceived discrimination) and psychosocial functioning (hostility, anxiety, optimism, social support), together with the adiponectin and leptin data from the PI's active R21,..
- Gender, Harassment and Drinking among College StudentsKathleen M Rospenda; Fiscal Year: 2013..effects of WH and SH on drinking and drug use are mediated by negative affect (depression, anxiety, and anger/hostility), differentially by gender...
- Immune System &Genetic Modulation of Brain Development &Behavior in AdolescenceConsuelo Walss-Bass; Fiscal Year: 2013..and disorders;c) dimensional measures of behavior/personality traits including mood, anxiety, impulsivity and hostility;and d) functional and structural neuroimaging...
- Smartphone Delivered Meditation for BP Control Among PrehypertensivesFrank A Treiber; Fiscal Year: 2013..tolerability and impact upon resting and 24 hour SBP and biobehavioral mechanisms: worry, rumination, anxiety, hostility, mindfulness, sleep, physical activity, sympathetic nervous system (SNS) and hypothalamic pituitary adrenal axis ..
- Evaluation of a Community-Based Psychosocial Intervention for War-Affected YouthRyan K McBain; Fiscal Year: 2013..impacts of this intervention will be measured in terms of improvements in mental health (depression, anxiety, hostility, posttraumatic stress reactions and prosocial behavior) as well as functional outcomes including community and ..
- Young Children's Self-Regulation in an Urban Context: A Multilevel AnalysisRACHEL ANNE RAZZA; Fiscal Year: 2010..Mother-child relationship characteristics include corporal punishment, maternal hostility, maternal warmth, and maternal depressive symptoms...
- The Effects of Homelessness Interventions on Child OutcomesMarybeth Shinn; Fiscal Year: 2013..care, learning resources in the home, nutrition, low financial stress), and parenting (parental warmth, lack of hostility, involved vigilant parenting, supportive family relationships, routines)...
- Effects of Traditional Acupuncture on Mechanisms of CHDC Bairey Merz; Fiscal Year: 2009..of: 2) an inflammatory marker (high-sensitivity C reactive protein);and 3) psychological stress, depression, hostility, anxiety, social support, and quality of life;and the exploratory variable of arterial vasomotion (brachial ..
- Transmission Mechanisms of Emotion Regulation and Externalizing ProblemsChristopher J Trentacosta; Fiscal Year: 2013..These activities will be applied in studies of the relations among parental risk, parent-toddler hostility and rigidity, and toddler emotion regulation and conduct problem outcomes...
- Nicotine for Marijuana WithdrawalDavid G Gilbert; Fiscal Year: 2012..It is also hypothesized that individuals high in anxiety/neuroticism and those high in aggression/hostility will exhibit greater benefits from TNP than those low in these traits...
- Reducing Stress in HIV-infected Youth Through Mindfulness TrainingERICA MARIA SMIT SIBINGA; Fiscal Year: 2011..mindfulness;perceived stress, threat appraisal, and coping;psychological functioning (depression, anxiety, hostility, and mood states);and interpersonal functioning (aggression and interpersonal skills)...
- Spousal Expression of Criticism/Hostility and Adjustment among Chronic Pain PatieJohn W Burns; Fiscal Year: 2011..provided by applicant): The exacerbation and maintenance of chronic pain are linked to spousal criticism/hostility, yet the nature of such links is poorly understood...
- Dynamic Expression of Antagonistic Personality Pathology in Daily LifeAIDAN GREGORY CRAVER WRIGHT; Fiscal Year: 2012..Antagonistic traits include those such as hostility, aggression, manipulativeness, among others, are major components of Narcissistic, Antisocial, and Borderline ..
- Aging &Accurate Face Impressions: Perceptual, Neural &Motivational MechanismsLeslie A Zebrowitz; Fiscal Year: 2013..Accurate assessments of traits like health, hostility, honesty, and competence are important for avoiding contagion and physical harm and seeking appropriate counsel ..
- Developing Anger Management (CRCS) for Use in Alcoholism TreatmentKimberly S Walitzer; Fiscal Year: 2012..g.,anger, hostility, frustration, irritation, annoyance)...
- COCAINE AND MATERNAL NEGLECT: INTERGENERATIONAL EFFECTSJOSEPHINE JOHNS; Fiscal Year: 2003..levels of oxytocin and cocaine use during pregnancy have also been associated with general feelings of anger and hostility and difficulty with infant attachment in women...
- Polysomnography in Homeopathic Remedy EffectsIris Bell; Fiscal Year: 2007..into two subclinical groups of otherwise healthy persons: (i) those who score high on the personality trait of hostility (Type A/coronary-prone; contained within remedy picture of Nux Vomica)(n=30) and (ii) those who score high on ..
- An Innovative Approach to Assessing Implicit Processes in Physical Abuse RiskJULIE LYNN CROUCH; Fiscal Year: 2012..g., hostility, control) throughout the game...
- FACTORS AFFECTING THE ACCURACY OF PERSONALITY JUDGEMENTDAVID FUNDER; Fiscal Year: 2002..Patterns of paranoia, hostility, fearfulness, shyness, narcissism and others are produced, exacerbated and sometimes fundamentally characterized ..
- ANGER ESCALATION AND DEESCALATION IN AGGRESSIVE MENRICHARD HEYMAN; Fiscal Year: 2000..harder time navigating gender-based goal incongruence adaptively, leading to increased frequency of reciprocated hostility. As these negative reciprocity cycles occur more frequently, and are negatively reinforced, they become highly ..
- Development of fMRI Studies of Social-Emotional Information ProcessingEMIL FRANK COCCARO; Fiscal Year: 2013..of "Hostile Attribution" and of "Negative Emotional Response" (which both connote the extent of provoked anger/hostility/negative affect) scores will correlate with activation of AMYG, ACC, OFC, and INS...
- Men's Alcohol Use and Perpetration of Sexual AggressionMARIA L TESTA; Fiscal Year: 2013..is moderated by several individual differences variables, such as sex- related alcohol expectancies, hostility toward women, and behavioral self-control...
- CHRONIC PSYCHOSOCIAL STRESS, METABOLIC SYNDROME, AND CHDPeter Vitaliano; Fiscal Year: 2001..Caregiving is associated with psychosocial (anger/hostility, hassles, depression) problems, which are, in turn, associated with metabolic, cardiovascular, and physical ..
- DISCRIMINATORY ATTITUDES AND KNOWLEDGE ABOUT AIDSRobert Blendon; Fiscal Year: 1990..public opinion surveys suggested that such individuals may face discriminatory attitudes and even outright hostility in schools, workplaces and communities from 20-25 percent of the American public (1)...
- Online Mindfulness-Based Couple Therapy for Generalized Anxiety DisorderLISA ANN BENSON; Fiscal Year: 2012..it seems to be the case that interpersonal variables such as satisfaction with a romantic relationship, partner hostility, and partner accommodation of GAD symptoms negative affect the course and even the response to treatment of GAD (..
- INTERPERSONAL CONFLICT AND CARDIOVASCULAR REACTIVITYElizabeth Brondolo; Fiscal Year: 2000..t its are associated with cardiovascular response, although the effects have depe ed on the component of anger/hostility under investigation and the type of tas used to stress the participants...
- Psychosocial Factors and Ambulatory Blood PressureIris Goldstein; Fiscal Year: 2003..e., hostility, unexpressed anger, anxiety, defensiveness)...
- DNA Identification in the Aftermath of Genocide and Mass ViolenceJAY ARONSON; Fiscal Year: 2009..The same problems have arisen in numerous situations, often leading to continued hostility and a lack of closure...
- Interparental Relationships, Parental Psychological Distress, & Child DevelopmentLAUREN PAPP; Fiscal Year: 2009..is robust;however, less is known about within-couple fluctuations over time and interpersonal correlates of hostility and anxiety...
- Television Viewing and Risk of Injury & Chronic Disease MorbidityMark Pereira; Fiscal Year: 2009..Interestingly, numerous studies have suggested that aggression or hostility may exacerbate risk factors for cardiovascular disease, raising the possibility that TV viewing may be one ..
- HIV RISK BEHAVIOR AND VIOLENCE AMONG CRACK USERSTk Logan; Fiscal Year: 2002..2) To examine the association of antisocial personality disorder, impulsivity, anxiety, depression, anger, hostility, serotonin, and testosterone with violence and HIV risk behavior among crack users; (3) To examine the ..
- FAMILY-BASED TREATMENT FOR DEPRESSED ADOLESCENTSGuy Diamond; Fiscal Year: 1999..family factors associated with the onset and maintenance of adolescent depression: disengagement, criticism and hostility, parental psychopathology, and ineffective parenting...
- ALCOHOL AND BAR VIOLENCEKenneth Leonard; Fiscal Year: 2000..Distal factors are more dispositional in nature and include individual difference variables (e.g., hostility), alcohol- related variables (e.g., expectancies, drinking patterns), and the nature of typical bar setting (e.g...
- EARLY HOSPITAL DISCHARGE AND NURSE SPECIALIST FOLLOW-UPDorothy Brooten; Fiscal Year: 1990..common across groups include morbidity (infection, acute care visits, rehospitalization), anxiety, depression, hostility, self esteem, and satisfaction with care...
- When Baby Cries: Hostility Schema in Physical Abuse RiskJULIE CROUCH; Fiscal Year: 2005..from applicant's abstract): Statement of the Problem: Recent theorizing suggests that automatic accessibility of hostility-related schema (which occurs without intention or awareness) may increase risk for child physical abuse (CPA)...
- Does psycholigocal wellness predict treatment response?Arthur Alterman; Fiscal Year: 2006..has largely focused upon negative characteristics such as depression, anxiety, antisocial personality, or hostility, i.e., psychological illness...
- CONTROLLED TRIAL OF LIFESKILL WORKSHOP ON BLOOD PRESSURELynn Clemow; Fiscal Year: 2004..b>Hostility and anger expression style have been demonstrated as risk factors for hypertension, itself a risk factor for CHD...
- CLOZAPINE AND OLANZAPINE IN VIOLENT SCHIZOPHRENICSMenahem Krakowski; Fiscal Year: 2003Chronic violence and hostility in schizophrenic patients represent a serious problem which impacts on the perpetrators, other patients and caregivers...
- RACISM, RACIAL IDENTITY AND BLOOD PRESSURELUCIE FERGUSON; Fiscal Year: 2000..proposed as a variable in health disparities of minorities, and the responses of Blacks to racism, including hostility, suppressed hostility, suppressed anger, effortful coping and denial, have been implicated in high blood ..
- ATTRIBUTIONAL ANALYSIS OF PEER DIRECTED AGGRESSIONSandra Graham; Fiscal Year: 2000..in an attempt to understand these social cognitive determinants of aggression and to foster changes in overt hostility. In a first series of studies, the cognitive processes promoting aggression in school-aged boys are explored...
- ANGER EXPRESSION--SELF-FOCUS AND CHD RISK FACTORSLarry Scherwitz; Fiscal Year: 1990..Based upon the evidence that anger, hostility, and self-focus are related to CHD risk, the aim of this study is to assess and describe anger experience, anger ..
- CULTURE AND FAMILY REACTIONS TO SCHIZOPHRENIAAmy Weisman; Fiscal Year: 1999..who are emotionally overinvolved, express an excessive number of critical comments, and/or express any degree of hostility (designated as high-EE relatives) when talking about the patient during a structured clinical interview have a ..
- Responsivity of homocysteine to behavioral stressCharles Emery; Fiscal Year: 2005..We have shown that homocysteine increases during stress, and that hostility is positively associated with resting homocysteine...
- Family Coping as a Protective Factor for Poor ChildrenCATHERINE DECARLO SANTIAGO; Fiscal Year: 2009..Poverty predicts a host of negative outcomes for children including depression, anxiety, hostility, aggression, academic underperformance, and elevated psycho-physiological stress...
- Bidirectional Links between Parenting Processes and Adolescent Risk BehaviorsREBEKAH COLEY; Fiscal Year: 2009..of family processes, namely the regularity of family routines, in addition to assessing parents'warmth and hostility and parental monitoring...
- CAUSES AND EFFECTS OF DEFENSIVE PROJECTIONLeonard Newman; Fiscal Year: 2001..interpersonal problems, and other social scientists have speculated that projection contributes to intergroup hostility and conflict. There is, however, very little compelling empirical evidence for the validity of the phenomenon...
- PTSD and Severe Mental Disorders: A Group Model for MenRoger Fallot; Fiscal Year: 2007..are at increased risk of other problems: mental health symptoms (depression, generalized anxiety, somatization), hostility, interpersonal difficulties, and revictimization...
- PSYCHOBIOLOGY OF STRESS REACTIVITY IN CHILDRENThelma Horn; Fiscal Year: 1992..hypertension, low level of cardiovascular fitness, high trait anxiety, external locus of control, high levels of hostility and anger, and/or low self-concept...
- BIOBEHAVIORAL PREDICTORS OF CORONARY ANGIOPLASTY OUTCOMEWillem Kop; Fiscal Year: 2002..Moreover, prior longitudinal studies have also demonstrated that the psychosocial traits of hostility and depression affect clinical progression of coronary disease...
- CORONARY-PRONE BEHAVIOR AND CARDIOVASCULAR REACTIVITYTHEODORE DEMBROSKI; Fiscal Year: 1990..the same retrospective findings clearly suggested that assessment of specific attributes of the TABP such as the hostility/anger dimension can yield a significant positive relationship with CHD even though global TABP is not ..
- HOSTILITY & CHD--SNS, LIPID & CELL/MOLECULAR MECHANISMSEDWARD SUAREZ; Fiscal Year: 2000DESCRIPTION: The aim of this proposal is to determine the relation of hostility to biological processes implicated in atherogenesis...
- SUBJECTIVE UNFAIRNESS AND ENVIOUS HOSTILITYRichard Smith; Fiscal Year: 1993..It will be argued that the kind of unfairness beliefs occurring in cases of envious hostility, unlike the unsanctioned character, although the envious person may nonetheless feel justified in these beliefs...
- EXTERNAL AND INTERNAL CUES FOR SMOKING IN EVERYDAY LIFEDavid Shapiro; Fiscal Year: 2000..control differs as a function of smoking rate, gender, and individual differences in nicotine dependence, hostility, and other characteristics. 3...