Genomes and Genes
Summary: A defense mechanism operating unconsciously, in which the individual attempts to justify or make consciously tolerable, by plausible means, feelings, behavior, and motives that would otherwise be intolerable.
Publications249 found, 100 shown here
- Emotions, decisions, and the limits of rationality: symposium introductionPeter A Ubel
Med Decis Making 25:95-6. 2005..The authors provide examples, discuss implications of their findings for medical decision-making, and describe strategies that we might employ to minimize or eliminate the biases that might be introduced into decision-making processes...
- Male infertility: the element of disguiseRoy Ann Sherrod
The University of Alabama, Capstone College of Nursing, Tuscaloosa 35487 0358, USA
J Psychosoc Nurs Ment Health Serv 44:30-7. 2006..This study's results indicate that health care professionals need to increase their awareness of the element of disguise and provide interventions for men experiencing infertility...
- The neural basis of rationalization: cognitive dissonance reduction during decision-makingJohanna M Jarcho
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, University of California, Los Angeles, CA 90025, USA
Soc Cogn Affect Neurosci 6:460-7. 2011..These findings suggest the characteristic rationalization processes that are associated with decision-making may be engaged very quickly at the moment of the decision, ..
- Deleting 'irrational' responses from discrete choice experiments: a case of investigating or imposing preferences?Emily Lancsar
Business School Economics and Centre for Health Services Research, University of Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Health Econ 15:797-811. 2006..Finally, we discuss a number of implications for the design, implementation and interpretation of DCEs and recommend caution regarding the deletion of preferences from stated preference experiments...
- Occupational musculoskeletal and mental health: Significance of rationalization and opportunities to create sustainable production systems - A systematic reviewR H Westgaard
Department of Industrial Economics and Technology Management, Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Trondheim, Norway
Appl Ergon 42:261-96. 2011..review aims to identify occupational musculoskeletal and mental health effects of production system rationalization as well as organizational-level measures that may improve health outcome ("modifiers" in this review)...
- Reactance versus rationalization: divergent responses to policies that constrain freedomKristin Laurin
University of Waterloo
Psychol Sci 23:205-9. 2012..e., restrictions that were sure to come into effect) with rationalization: They viewed the restrictions more favorably, and valued the restricted freedoms less, compared with control ..
- Regret and rationalization among smokers in Thailand and Malaysia: findings from the International Tobacco Control Southeast Asia SurveyWonkyong B Lee
Department of Psychology, University of Waterloo, Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
Health Psychol 28:457-64. 2009To test whether differences of history and strength in tobacco control policies will influence social norms, which, in turn, will influence quit intentions, by influencing smokers' regret and rationalization.
- No credit where credit is due: attributional rationalization of women's success in male-female teamsMadeline E Heilman
Department of Psychology, New York University, NY 10003, USA
J Appl Psychol 90:905-16. 2005..explored how ambiguity about the source of a successful joint performance outcome promotes attributional rationalization, negatively affecting evaluations of women...
- Considering theories of aggression in an emergency department contextTerry Ferns
University of Greenwich, School of Health and Social Care, Department of Acute and Continuing Care, Grey Building, Southwood Site, London SE9 2UG, UK
Accid Emerg Nurs 15:193-200. 2007..These theories can be used to explain both organisational strategies designed to minimise aggression in the emergency department and situational factors contributing to the development of aggressive interactions...
- The developmental costs of high self-esteem for antisocial childrenMadhavi Menon
Department of Psychology, Florida Atlantic University, Boca Raton, FL 33431, USA
Child Dev 78:1627-39. 2007..For antisocial children, high self-esteem carries costs...
- Preventing errors in clinical practice: a call for self-awarenessFrancesc Borrell-Carrio
Department of Medicine, University of Barcelona, CAP Cornellà, Catalonian Institute of Health ICS, Cornellà de Llobregat, Spain
Ann Fam Med 2:310-6. 2004..Emotional self-awareness and self-regulation of attention can be consciously cultivated as habits to help physicians function better in clinical situations...
- Victim derogation and victim enhancement as alternate routes to system justificationAaron C Kay
Department of Psychology, Jordan Hall Building 420, Stanford University, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
Psychol Sci 16:240-6. 2005..g., physical attractiveness) that are causally unrelated to those outcomes. We provide converging evidence using system-threat and stereotype-activation paradigms...
- Projection bias in medical decision makingGeorge Loewenstein
Department of Social and Decision Sciences, Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15213, USA
Med Decis Making 25:96-105. 2005
- Impulsive decision making and working memoryJohn M Hinson
Department of Psychology, Washington State University, Pullman 99164 4820, USA
J Exp Psychol Learn Mem Cogn 29:298-306. 2003..Thus, limits on WM function, either intrinsic or extrinsic, are predictive of a more impulsive decision-making style...
- Forgiveness and its limits: a psychological and psychoanalytic perspectiveEthel Spector Person
College of Physicians amd Surgeons, Columbia University, New York, NY 10023, USA
Psychoanal Rev 94:389-408. 2007
- Views and approaches toward risks and benefits among doctors who become patientsRobert Klitzman
Center for Bioethics, Columbia University, 1051 Riverside Drive, Unit 29, New York, NY 10032, USA
Patient Educ Couns 64:61-8. 2006..To understand how views and approaches concerning risks and benefits may be affected by dynamic contexts and processes related to clinical roles and relationships...
- Determinants of justification and self-controlRan Kivetz
Graduate School of Business, Columbia University, New York, NY, USA
J Exp Psychol Gen 135:572-87. 2006..The authors discuss the ability of the justification routes to explain the findings of prior self-control research...
- Vocabularies of motive for illicit steroid use among bodybuildersLee F Monaghan
Cardiff School of Social Sciences, Cardiff University, UK
Soc Sci Med 55:695-708. 2002..Without these understandings, researchers and health promoters may struggle to appreciate fully why illicit drug users behave as they do...
- Where perception and reality differ: dropping out is not the same as failureC A Shields
University of Waterloo, Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
J Behav Med 28:481-91. 2005....
- A quasi-experimental investigation of message appeal variations on organ donor registration ratesJason T Siegel
School of Behavioral and Organizational Sciences, Department of Psychology, Claremont Graduate University, Claremont, CA 91711, USA
Health Psychol 27:170-8. 2008..This study is the first to evaluate the differential effectiveness of various organ donor messages in naturalistic settings...
- [Series: Women and addiction. Women driven to shop (interview with Prof. Dr. Alfred Gebert)]Alfred Gebert
Krankenpfl J 43:275-6. 2005
- Do as I say, not as I doSharon Begley
Newsweek 151:20. 2008
- Is anger an excuse?Matthew Fasnacht
Hobart, TAS, Australia
Australas Psychiatry 12:411-2. 2004
- Attitudes and reactions of Jordanian medical students to the dissecting roomZiad M Bataineh
Department of Anatomy, Faculty of Medicine, Jordan University of Science and Technology, 22110 Irbid, Jordan
Surg Radiol Anat 28:416-21. 2006..5% and by fear of infection 50.3%. The most frequent method of coping with such fears was by rationalization 89.8%. Significant gender differences (P<0.05) were found in the most aspects of DR experiences...
- Sociolinguistic and psycholinguistic indications of behavior disorders: analysis of a prisoner's discourseUri Timor
Bar Ilan University, Ramat Gan, Israel
Int J Offender Ther Comp Criminol 52:112-26. 2008..The prisoner's latent feelings of helplessness and fear of humiliation may help the therapist establish a therapeutic relationship and help him change his perceptions and behavior...
- Cultural influences on parental bereavement in Chinese familiesSio Wa Ho
North Dakota State University, Child Development and Family Science, Fargo 58105 5057, USA
Omega (Westport) 55:1-25. 2007..The influence of cultural beliefs and background on Chinese parents as they deal with the issue of a child's death was apparent. Further research is needed and will benefit our understanding of parental bereavement in Chinese families...
- Toward a theory of self-reconciliation following mistakes in nursing practiceNancy J Crigger
William Jewell College, Liberty, MO 64068, USA
J Nurs Scholarsh 39:177-83. 2007..To explore nurses' responses to making mistakes in hospital-based practice in the US...
- Adult reports of child and adult attributions of blame for childhood sexual abuse: predicting adult adjustment and suicidal behaviors in femalesS L Barker-Collo
Department of Psychology, University of Auckland, New Zealand
Child Abuse Negl 25:1329-41. 2001....
- The effects of rational and experiential information processing of expert testimony in death penalty casesDaniel A Krauss
Department of Psychology, Claremont McKenna College, 850 Columbia Avenue, Claremont, CA 91711, USA
Behav Sci Law 22:801-22. 2004..The policy implications of these findings are discussed...
- Decision-making styles and physiological correlates of negative stress: is there a relation?Peter Thunholm
Department of War Studies, National Defence College, Stockholm, Sweden
Scand J Psychol 49:213-9. 2008..e., being more of the worrying kind)...
- Disposing of the empty shopping market cart--an informal lookJohn W Trinkaus
Zichlin School of Business, Baruch College CUNY, USA
Psychol Rep 95:107-8. 2004..An informal enquiry suggested that only about one out of five shoppers, when finished using shopping carts, returned them to a designated depository...
- The rationale of surgical treatment of invasive breast cancer and decision making of surgical proceduresL Bergkvist
Department of Surgery and Centre for Clinical Research, Central Hospital, Vasteras, Sweden
Scand J Surg 91:240-5. 2002..Axillary surgery has also developed conservatively, with the introduction of the new technique of sentinel node biopsy, which offers an alternative to axillary clearance for staging of the axilla, with less morbidity...
- Prevalence rate and reasons for refusals of influenza vaccine in elderlyLaurence Canova
Medical Outpatient Clinic, University of Lausanne, Switzerland
Swiss Med Wkly 133:598-602. 2003..Seventeen percent gave miscellaneous reasons and 12% no reason at all for refusal. Little epidemiological knowledge and resistance to change appear to be the major obstacles for wide acceptance of the vaccine by the elderly...
- [Irrational factors in the physician-patient relations]Per Vaglum
Institutt for medisinske atferdsfag Universitetet i Oslo Postboks 1111 Blindern 0317 Oslo
Tidsskr Nor Laegeforen 122:1906-9. 2002
- Rationalizations and defensive attributions for high-risk sex among heterosexualsB P Buunk
Unit of Social and Organizational Psychology, Grote Kruisstraat 2/1, 9712 TS, Groningen, The Netherlands
Patient Educ Couns 45:127-32. 2001..It is suggested that interventions should not focus on enhancing risk perceptions, but rather on challenging rationalizations and attributions that foster risky sexual behavior...
- Twin pregnancy: not only a medical eventE Beretta
Unit of Clinical Psychology, Spedali Civili, University of Brescia, Brescia, Italy
Minerva Ginecol 59:571-8. 2007....
- Can suicide be a good death?David Lester
Department of Psychology, Richard Stockton College of New Jersey, P O Box 195, Jim Leeds Rd, Pamona, New Jersey 08240 0195, USA
Death Stud 30:511-27. 2006..Similarly, several criteria for rationality were proposed and suicide was seen as sometimes meeting these criteria. Thus, suicide can be sometimes conceptualized as a "good" death...
- Complementary justice: effects of "poor but happy" and "poor but honest" stereotype exemplars on system justification and implicit activation of the justice motiveAaron C Kay
Department of Psychology, Stanford University, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
J Pers Soc Psychol 85:823-37. 2003..Evidence also suggested that the Protestant work ethic may moderate the effects of stereotype exposure on explicit system justification (but not implicit activation)...
- Differences in helping whites and blacks: a meta-analysisDonald A Saucier
Department of Psychology, University of Kentucky, USA
Pers Soc Psychol Rev 9:2-16. 2005..This suggests that discrimination may occur when the ability to control prejudicial responding is inhibited, or when the arousal of the emergency is misattributed to intergroup anxiety...
- To lie or not to lie: to whom and under what circumstancesSerena A Perkins
Graduate School of Education, University of California, Berkeley 94720, USA
Child Dev 78:609-21. 2007..Results indicate that adolescents value honesty, but sometimes subordinate it to moral and personal concerns in relationships of inequality...
- Children's perceptions of gender discriminationChristia Spears Brown
Department of Psychology, University of Texas at Austin, Austin, TX, USA
Dev Psychol 40:714-26. 2004..Girls (but not boys) were more likely to view girls than boys as victims of discrimination, and children with egalitarian gender attitudes were more likely to perceive discrimination than were their peers...
- Sexual risk behavior among people living with HIV/AIDS in TogoAmi R Moore
University of North Texas, USA
Soc Sci Med 64:1057-66. 2007..and social action theory--to examine the patterns of sexual risk behavior and the underlying reasons and rationalization among people living with HIV/AIDS in Lomé, Togo...
- Female sex workers as health educators with men who buy sex: utilising narratives of rationalisationsTeela Sanders
University of Leeds, UK
Soc Sci Med 62:2434-44. 2006..In conclusion, I suggest the sexual health of the nation and the place of sex workers in society must be considered with regard to recent policy debates on the management of prostitution and the cultural construction of the sex worker...
- A defence of rigorous method in clinical scienceJames Malone-Lee
Neurourol Urodyn 27:462-5. 2008
- Physicians' evaluations of patients' decisions to refuse oncological treatmentT van Kleffens
VU University Medical Center, Department of Philosophy and Medical Ethics, Van der Boechorststraat 7, 1081 BT Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Med Ethics 31:131-6. 2005..To gain insight into the standards of rationality that physicians use when evaluating patients' treatment refusals...
- Computers in clinical practice: screening renal patients for abnormal biochemistry and malnutritionTracy Gower
Richard Bright Renal Unit, North Bristol National Health Service Trust, Southmead Hospital, Westbury on Trym, Bristol, England
J Ren Nutr 12:107-12. 2002....
- Hsp90/Cdc37 chaperone/co-chaperone complex, a novel junction anticancer target elucidated by the mode of action of herbal drug Withaferin AAbhinav Grover
Department of Biochemical Engineering and Biotechnology, Indian Institute of Technology Delhi, Hauz Khas, New Delhi 110016, India
BMC Bioinformatics 12:S30. 2011....
- Structures of apo- and holo-tyrosine phenol-lyase reveal a catalytically critical closed conformation and suggest a mechanism for activation by K+ ionsDalibor Milić
Department of Chemistry, Faculty of Science, University of Zagreb, Horvatovac 102a, HR 10000 Zagreb, Croatia
Biochemistry 45:7544-52. 2006..The closed conformation allows rationalization of the results of previous mutational studies and suggests that the observed active site closure is critical ..
- Synthesis, configuration, and activity of isomeric 2-phenyl-2-(N-piperidinyl)bicyclo[3.1.0]hexanes at phencyclidine and sigma binding sitesB R de Costa
Laboratory of Medicinal Chemistry, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892
J Med Chem 35:4704-12. 1992..of the binding data of 7-9 with that of the previously described methylcyclohexyl-PCP derivatives allowed its rationalization in terms of this model. It is likely that the lowered affinity in this bicyclo[3.1...
- The structural basis for substrate promiscuity in 2-keto-3-deoxygluconate aldolase from the Entner-Doudoroff pathway in Sulfolobus solfataricusAlex Theodossis
Centre for Biomolecular Sciences, University of St Andrews, North Haugh, Fife KY16 9ST, Scotland
J Biol Chem 279:43886-92. 2004..of the natural substrates pyruvate, KDG, KDGal, and pyruvate plus D-glyceraldehyde, which have allowed rationalization of the structural basis of promiscuous substrate recognition and catalysis...
- [Prostate cancer. Treatment]G Fournier
Service d Urologie, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire de Brest, Hopital de la Cavale Blanche, Boulevard Tanguy Prigent, 29609 Brest, France
Ann Urol (Paris) 38:225-58. 2004..Numerous works have resulted in a better rationalization of the prescription (date of treatment initiation, interest of combined androgenic deprivation, .....
- Inhibition of the NEMO/IKKβ association complex formation, a novel mechanism associated with the NF-κB activation suppression by Withania somnifera's key metabolite withaferin AAbhinav Grover
Department of Biochemical Engineering and Biotechnology, Indian Institute of Technology IIT Delhi, Hauz Khas, New Delhi, India
BMC Genomics 11:S25. 2010....
- Cooperation of the basal ganglia, cerebellum, sensory cerebrum and hippocampus: possible implications for cognition, consciousness, intelligence and creativityR M Cotterill
Biophysics, Danish Technical University, DK 2800 Lyngby, Denmark
Prog Neurobiol 64:1-33. 2001..in prokaryotic behavior, one can make mammalian neuroanatomy amenable to dramatically straightforward rationalization. Muscular contraction is the nervous system's only externally directed product, and the signaling routes ..
- [Information system in primary health care]Ranko Stevanovic
Croatian Institute of Public Health
Acta Med Croatica 59:209-12. 2005..Some important reasons for undertaking the project include rationalization of drug utilization, savings through a reduced use of specialists, consultants and hospitalization, then ..
- Mass spectral analyses of microcystins from toxic cyanobacteria using on-line chromatographic and electrophoretic separationsK P Bateman
Chemistry Department, Dalhousie University, Halifax, NS, Canada
J Chromatogr A 712:253-68. 1995..b>Rationalization of fragment ions observed in MS-MS spectra of microcystins was made possible through comparison with 15N ..
- How coenzyme B12-dependent ethanolamine ammonia-lyase deals with both enantiomers of 2-amino-1-propanol as substrates: structure-based rationalizationNaoki Shibata
Department of Life Science, Graduate School of Life Science, University of Hyogo, 3 2 1 Koto, Kamigori cho, Ako gun, Hyogo, Japan
Biochemistry 50:591-8. 2011..This preference might be explained in terms of the steric repulsion of the (S)-enantiomer-derived product radical at C3 with the Pheα329 and Leuα402 residues...
- Role of plant enemies in the forestry of indigenous vs. nonindigenous pinesMaría J Lombardero
Departamento de Producción Vegetal, Universidad de Santiago, 27002 Lugo, Spain
Ecol Appl 18:1171-81. 2008..Landowners frequently choose to plant nonindigenous species; one rationalization has been that silvicultural productivity is enhanced when trees are separated from their native herbivores ..
- Pharmacophore and quantitative structure-activity relationship modeling: complementary approaches for the rationalization and prediction of UDP-glucuronosyltransferase 1A4 substrate selectivityPaul A Smith
Department of Clinical Pharmacology, Flinders University, Bedford Park, 5042, South Australia
J Med Chem 46:1617-26. 2003..Both UGT1A4 pharmacophores included two hydrophobic features and the glucuronidation site. The 2D-QSAR showed the best overall predictivity and highlighted the importance of hydrophobicity (as log P) in substrate-enzyme binding...
- Stilbenecarboxylate biosynthesis: a new function in the family of chalcone synthase-related proteinsChristian Eckermann
Institut fur Biologie II, Universitat Freiburg, Schänzlestr 1, D 79104 Freiburg, Germany
Phytochemistry 62:271-86. 2003..Precursor feeding studies and mechanistic rationalization suggest that stilbenecarboxylates might also be synthesized by plant type III polyketide synthases; however, ..
- Ambident reactivities of pyridone anionsMartin Breugst
Department Chemie, Ludwig Maximilians Universität, Butenandtstrasse 5 13, 81377 München, Germany
J Am Chem Soc 132:15380-9. 2010..In particular, Kornblum's rationalization of the silver ion effect, one of the main pillars of the hard and soft acid/base concept of ambident ..
- Biological performance of quercetin on the cotton leaf-worm larvae, Spodoptera littoralis Boisd. (Lep., Noctuidae) and prevailing natural enemies in the Egyptian cotton fieldsH A Mesbah
Faculty of Agriculture, Saba Basha, Plant Protection Department Alexandria University, Egypt
Commun Agric Appl Biol Sci 72:611-22. 2007..within an IPM program, that include synthetic insecticides rationalization, and maximiziation the role of the biological control agents...
- Between professional duty and ethical confusion: midwives and selective termination of pregnancyEva Cignacco
Women s Clinic, University Hospital Insel, CH 3012 Berne, Switzerland
Nurs Ethics 9:179-91; discussion 191-3. 2002..Although this process of rationalization seems to present a false ethical decision, it enables midwives to continue with their daily professional ..
- Globalisation and blood safetyAlbert Farrugia
Blood and Tissues Unit, Australian Therapeutic Goods Administration, ACT, Australia
Blood Rev 23:123-8. 2009..The rationalization and contraction of the plasma products industry may be viewed as one aspect of globalisation imposed by the ..
- Chemical selectivity in micellar electrokinetic chromatography. II. Rationalization of elution patterns in different surfactant systemsS Yang
Department of Chemistry, North Carolina State University, Raleigh 27695-8204, USA
J Chromatogr A 738:265-74. 1996..e., SDS, SC and C14TAB). Information obtained from the LSER analysis is used to rationalize the elution patterns in MEKC with different types of pseudo-stationary phases...
- The institutional design of forest certification standards initiatives and its influence on the role of science: the case of forest genetic resourcesGraeme Auld
School of Forestry and Environmental Studies, Yale University, New Haven, CT 06511, USA
J Environ Manage 69:47-62. 2003..resources, we show how structural aspects of decision-making processes affects the standards adopted and the rationalization for their appropriateness...
- Rationalization of incisor shape: experimental-numerical analysisP Magne
School of Dentistry, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, Minn, USA
J Prosthet Dent 81:345-55. 1999..Moving from the posterior segment in the anterior direction within the dental arch, the process of "incisivization" takes place. The occlusal table is gradually replaced by an incisal edge that has the function of cutting...
- Cultural awareness of Inuit patients' experiences with emergency nursing careAntonia Arnaert
McGill University, School of Nursing, Montreal, Que, Canada
Accid Emerg Nurs 14:97-103. 2006..While staying in the emergency department (ED), Inuit patients progressed through three steps in this rationalization process: first impressions of EN, perceiving the realities of EN, and appreciating EN care...
- Strengthening and rationalizing pharmacovigilance in the EU: where is Europe heading to? A review of the new EU legislation on pharmacovigilanceJohn Joseph Borg
Medicines Authority, Rue D Argens, Gzira, Malta
Drug Saf 34:187-97. 2011..for the following: (i) clear roles, responsibilities and obligations for the key responsible parties; (ii) rationalization of EU decision making on drug safety issues in order to deliver measures that are equally and fully ..
- Biotransformation of a GABAA receptor partial agonist in sprague-dawley rats and cynomolgus monkeys: identification of two unique N-carbamoyl metabolitesChristopher L Shaffer
Department of Pharmacokinetics, Pharmacodynamics and Metabolism, Pfizer Global Research and Development, Groton New London Laboratories, Pfizer Inc, Eastern Point Road, MS 4075, Groton, CT 06340, USA
Drug Metab Dispos 33:1688-99. 2005..its minimal absolute quantities in limited biological matrices, data herein clearly support its structural rationalization. Furthermore, since M7 is the precursor of M8, detection of M8 is indirect evidence of its existence...
- Political conservatism as motivated social cognitionJohn T Jost
Graduate School of Business, Stanford University, California 94305, USA
Psychol Bull 129:339-75. 2003..epistemic and existential needs (for closure, regulatory focus, terror management), and ideological rationalization (social dominance, system justification)...
- A structural comparison of three isoforms of anionic trypsin from chum salmon (Oncorhynchus keta)Eiko Toyota
Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Health Sciences University of Hokkaido, Japan
Acta Crystallogr D Biol Crystallogr 65:717-23. 2009..In order to find a structural rationalization for the observed difference in catalytic efficiency, the X-ray crystallographic structures of the three ..
- Is the sheet-flow design a 'frozen core' (a Bauplan) of the gas exchangers? Comparative functional morphology of the respiratory microvascular systems: illustration of the geometry and rationalization of the fractal propertiesJ N Maina
Department of Anatomical Sciences, The University of the Witwatersrand, 7 York Road, Park Town 2193, Johannesburg, South Africa
Comp Biochem Physiol A Mol Integr Physiol 126:491-515. 2000..With appropriate corrections for any relevant intertaxa differences, use of similar morphofunctional models in determining the diffusing capacities of various gas exchangers is warranted...
- Change in coping strategies following intensive intervention for special-service military personnel as civil emergency respondersYongqiao Bian
Department of Military Epidemiology, College of Military Prevention, Third Military Medical University, Chongqing, China
J Occup Health 53:36-44. 2011..To evaluate the effectiveness of a coping training program for the Chinese Special-Service Military Personnel (SSMP) as civil emergency responders...
- A rationalization of the acidic pH dependence for stromelysin-1 (Matrix metalloproteinase-3) catalysis and inhibitionL L Johnson
Department of Cancer Research, Parke Davis Pharmaceutical Research, Division of Warner Lambert Co, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48105, USA
J Biol Chem 275:11026-33. 2000..The striking acidic profile of stromelysin-1 defined by the combined ionization of Glu(202) and His(224) allows the design of highly selective inhibitors...
- Immunoepigenetics: the unseen side of cancer immunoeditingA E Germenis
Department of Immunology and Histocompatibity, School of Medicine, University of Thessaly, University Hospital of Larissa, Larissa, Greece
Immunol Cell Biol 85:55-9. 2007..body from cancer and on the other it shapes the immunogenicity of these cancers, thus presents a persuasive rationalization of the resistance of tumors against the immune response...
- Selection of primary hip and knee arthroplasties for public hospitals in Western Australia: a clinical evidence approachAlan M Kop
Department of Medical Engineering and Physics, Royal Perth Hospital, Perth, Western Australia, Australia
ANZ J Surg 76:1068-74. 2006..The Australian Joint Registry records that there are approximately 84 hip stem designs, 71 acetabular designs and 45 knee systems in common use in Australia, giving the surgeon an extensive and often bewildering choices...
- Chemical rescue of Klebsiella aerogenes urease variants lacking the carbamylated-lysine nickel ligandM A Pearson
Section of Biochemistry, Molecular and Cell Biology, Cornell University, Ithaca, New York 14853, USA
Biochemistry 37:6214-20. 1998..Importantly, these structures allow rationalization of the relative rates and yields of chemical rescue experiments...
- Opposite regiospecific ring opening of 2-(cyanomethyl)aziridines by hydrogen bromide and benzyl bromide: experimental study and theoretical rationalizationSaron Catak
Center for Molecular Modeling, Ghent University, Technologiepark 903, B 9052 Zwijnaarde, Belgium
J Org Chem 75:4530-41. 2010....
- The future management of nephrology: budget elements and organization planningGiuseppe Quintaliani
Perugia District Hospital, Perugia University, Perugia, Italy
J Nephrol 16:S22-7. 2003..models that are able to withstand the impact of both the new and increasing demand for assistance and the rationalization of resources...
- Rationalization of genetic testing in patients with apparently sporadic pheochromocytoma/paragangliomaA Cascon
Spanish National Cancer Research Centre CNIO, Hereditary Endocrine Cancer Group, Madrid, Spain
Horm Metab Res 41:672-5. 2009..Finally, the analysis of SDHB should always be performed because of its association to malignancy and the low penetrance of mutations affecting this gene...
- Sorption of polar and nonpolar organic contaminants by oil-contaminated soilHong Chen
Key Laboratory of Industrial Ecology and Environmental Engineering Ministry of Education, School of Environmental and Biological Science and Technology, Dalian University of Technology, Dalian, China
Chemosphere 73:1832-7. 2008..b>Rationalization of the different dominant effects was attempted in terms of the relative aliphatic carbon content which ..
- Nurses' feelings and thoughts about using physical restraints on hospitalized older patientsYeu Hui Chuang
Lecturer, Department of Nursing, Chung Hwa College of Medical Technology, Tainan, Taiwan
J Clin Nurs 16:486-94. 2007..To explore nurses' feelings and thoughts about physically restraining older hospitalized patients...
- Community-based integrated care: myth or must?T Plochg
Department of Social Medicine, Academic Medical Center University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Int J Qual Health Care 14:91-101. 2002..This paper argues that this limited success originates from a lack of coherence among the various strategies and instruments developed to rationalize and improve the delivery of health care...
- Defining rational hospital catchments for non-urban areas based on travel-timeNadine Schuurman
Department of Geography, Simon Fraser University, Burnaby, Canada
Int J Health Geogr 5:43. 2006..Hospitals are frequently the chosen site of cost containment and rationalization especially in rural areas...
- Carboxyketenes, methyleneketenes, vinylketenes, oxetanediones, ynols, and ylidic ketenes from Meldrum's acid derivativesLisa George
Chemistry Building, School of Molecular and Microbial Sciences, The University of Queensland, Brisbane, QLD 4072, Australia
Org Biomol Chem 5:1437-41. 2007..we report theoretical calculations at the B3LYP/6-311 + G(2d, p) and G3X(MP2) levels of theory, which allow a rationalization of these observations...
- Combining molecular modeling with experimental methodologies: mechanism of membrane permeation and accumulation of ofloxacinMassimo Fresta
Department of Pharmacobiological Sciences, University Magna Graecia of Catanzaro, Complesso Nini Barbieri, Roccelletta di Borgia CZ, I 88021 Catanzaro, Italy
Bioorg Med Chem 10:3871-89. 2002..The combination of experimental methodologies with computational data allowed a further rationalization of the results and opened new perspectives into the mechanism of action of ofloxacin, namely its interaction ..
- Do we need a new procedure for the assessment of adverse events in anti-migraine clinical trials?Martina Amanzio
Department of Psychology and Neuroscience Institute of Torino NIT, University of Torino, Via Verdi 10, 10123 Torino, Italy
Recent Pat CNS Drug Discov 6:41-7. 2011..the need for the examiner to be blind to the expected side-effects of the drug being evaluated and a better rationalization of informed consent in order to avoid the occurrence of negative expectations in patients, aimed at ..
- Characterization of protein-protein interactions between the nucleocapsid protein and membrane protein of the SARS coronavirusRuntao He
National Microbiology Laboratory, Health Canada, 1015 Arlington St, Winnipeg, Man, Canada R3E 3R2
Virus Res 105:121-5. 2004..in SARS-CoV, are necessary for the elucidation of the molecular mechanism of SARS-CoV replication and rationalization of anti-SARS therapeutic intervention...
- Kinetic and crystallographic studies on 2-(beta-D-glucopyranosyl)-5-methyl-1, 3, 4-oxadiazole, -benzothiazole, and -benzimidazole, inhibitors of muscle glycogen phosphorylase b. Evidence for a new binding siteEvangelia D Chrysina
Institute of Organic and Pharmaceutical Chemistry, The National Hellenic Research Foundation, 48 Vassileos Constantinou Avenue, 116 35 Athens, Greece
Protein Sci 14:873-88. 2005..in the catalytic site of T-state GPb with very little change of the tertiary structure, and provide a rationalization for understanding variations in potency of the inhibitors...
- Comparative parallel assessment of a transfer device in reducing 5-fluorouracil environmental contamination inside positive air pressure isolatorsFabien Forges
Department of Clinical Pharmacology and Innovation, CHU St Etienne, St Etienne, France
J Oncol Pharm Pract 17:61-7. 2011..The rationalization of the hospital budgets imposes a meticulous assessment of the devices available for the preparation, in ..
- A conformational mimic of the MgATP-bound "on state" of the nitrogenase iron proteinSanchayita Sen
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, Montana State University, Bozeman, Montana 59717, USA
Biochemistry 43:1787-97. 2004..The observed conformational state allows the rationalization of a model of structurally and chemically complementary interactions that occur upon initial complex ..
- A simple energy-conserving system: proton reduction coupled to proton translocationRajat Sapra
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Center for Metalloenzyme Studies, University of Georgia, Athens, GA 30602 7229, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 100:7545-50. 2003..Such a respiratory system enables rationalization in this organism of an unusual glycolytic pathway that was previously thought not to conserve energy...
- Origin of syn/anti diastereoselectivity in aldehyde and ketone crotylation reactions: a combined theoretical and experimental studyLutz F Tietze
Institut fur Organische und Biomolekulare Chemie, Georg August Universitat Gottingen, Tammannstrasse 2, D 37077 Gottingen, Germany
J Am Chem Soc 128:11483-95. 2006..Comparison of relevant open transition-state structures leads to a rationalization of the observed selectivities...
- Evidence-based medicine as an instrument for rational health policyNikola Biller-Andorno
Department of Medical Ethics and History of Medicine, University of Goettingen, Germany
Health Care Anal 10:261-75. 2002..Though such a rationalization is generally seen as an objective and 'value free' process, moral values often play a hidden role, not only ..
- Postoperative nausea management and patient-controlled analgesiaP F Bibby
University of Sheffield, Doncaster and Bassettlaw Hospitals, NHS Trust, UK
Br J Nurs 10:775-80. 2001..one UK acute NHS trust, including the introduction of patient-controlled analgesia (PCA), pain scoring, and a rationalization of the use of simple analgesics, attention was drawn to an apparent increase in postoperative nausea and ..
- [Efficacy of public health surveillance systems]Josipa Kern
Andrija Stampar School of Public Health, University of Zagreb, and Merkur University Hospital, Zagreb, Croatia
Acta Med Croatica 64:415-23. 2010..Without such systems, any rationalization in health care and better quality is not possible...
- Positive-ion ESI mass spectrometry of regioisomeric nonreducing oligosaccharide fatty acid monoesters: in-source fragmentation of sodium adductsIgnacio Pérez-Victoria
Departamento de Quimica, Puleva Biotech SA, Granada, Spain
J Mass Spectrom 43:633-8. 2008..of the acyl chain in each particular regioisomer has been used as a reporter group that allows unambiguous rationalization of the fragmentation routes of the corresponding natriated molecular ions [M + Na](+)...
- Policy implications of rationalization of statin use in LithuaniaEdmundas Kadusevicius
Basic and Clinical Pharmacology, Kaunas University of Medicine, Lithuania
Int J Technol Assess Health Care 25:419-24. 2009....
- Determinants of conformational dimerization of Mad2 and its inhibition by p31cometMarina Mapelli
Department of Experimental Oncology, European Institute of Oncology, Milan, Italy
EMBO J 25:1273-84. 2006..We characterized the molecular determinants of the O-Mad2:C-Mad2 conformational dimer and derived a rationalization of the binding interface in terms of symmetric and asymmetric components...
- CaFeO2: a new type of layered structure with iron in a distorted square planar coordinationCédric Tassel
Department of Chemistry, Graduate School of Science, Kyoto University, Kyoto 606 8502, Japan
J Am Chem Soc 131:221-9. 2009..First-principles DFT calculations provide a clear rationalization of the structural and physical observations for CaFeO(2) and highlight how the nature of the cation ..
- An evidence-based resuscitation algorithm applied from the emergency room to the ICU improves survival of severe septic shockR Castro
Department of Intensive Care Medicine, Pontificia Universidad Catolica de Chile, Santiago, Chile
Minerva Anestesiol 74:223-31. 2008..The aim of this study was to compare the outcome of severe septic shock patients under both protocols...
- Consequences of Unwanted Childbearing for Women and Children Michelle J Hindin; Fiscal Year: 2010..is complicated by a number of serious methodological challenges;foremost among these is the issue of birth rationalization, whereby respondents may be reluctant to retrospectively describe births which were unwanted at the time of ..
- Mechanism, Specificity, and Inhibition of Cytochrome P450Paul R Ortiz de Montellano; Fiscal Year: 2013..from the combined use of molecular dynamics and NMR to construct refined protocols for the prediction and rationalization of cytochrome P450 substrate and inhibitor specificity, focusing initially on CYP2C9 The work proposed in ..
- Spectrometric Validation of Botanical Materials and Reference StandardsGuido F Pauli; Fiscal Year: 2010..on the inherent complexity of natural products, and foster interdisciplinary biomedical research aimed at the rationalization of the botanicals used for human health...
- CYTOCHROME P450 SUBSTRATE SITING AND MOTIONAnn McDermott; Fiscal Year: 2002b>Rationalization and prediction of hydroxylation products of cytochrome P450 is crucial for understanding the mechanism of this enzyme and for understanding drug metabolism, but remains generally enigmatic...
- Genetic determinants of Chemo-Radiation CombinationLei Li; Fiscal Year: 2013..genetic determinants of chemo-radiation response provides potential biomarkers for prognosis and treatment rationalization. Elucidating the biological underlining for synergy helps to derive novel therapeutic combinations...
- Center for Clinical and Translational ScienceDimitri T Azar; Fiscal Year: 2013..The administrative reorganization represented by the UlC CCTS will lead to rationalization and integration of significant and mature UlC resources for clinical translational research...
- Center for Clinical and Translational ScienceDimitri T Azar; Fiscal Year: 2013..The administrative reorganization represented by the UlC CCTS will lead to rationalization and integration of significant and mature UlC resources for clinical translational research...
- Boston University Clinical and Translational Science Award (CTSA) Program TL1David M Center; Fiscal Year: 2012..The administrative reorganization represented by the UIC CCTS will lead to rationalization and integration of significant and mature UIC resources for clinical translational research...
- Colorado Clinical and Translational Science Institute (TL1)Ronald J Sokol; Fiscal Year: 2013..The administrative reorganization represented by the UIC CCTS will lead to rationalization and integration of significant and mature UIC resources for clinical translational research...
- TERPENE CYCLASES: FUNCTIONAL DOMAINS AND STRUCTURESJOSEPH NOEL; Fiscal Year: 2003..plant terpene cyclase that allowed us to propose an enzymatic reaction mechanism consistent with the chemical rationalization of FPP cyclization to 5-epi-aristolochene...
- Center for Clinical and Translational ScienceTheodore Mazzone; Fiscal Year: 2011..The administrative reorganization represented by the UIC CCTS will lead to rationalization and integration of significant and mature UIC resources for clinical translational research...
- Center for Clinical and Translational ScienceDimitri T Azar; Fiscal Year: 2013
- HIGH RESOLUTION IN SINGLE PARTICLE RECONSTRUCTIONPawel A Penczek; Fiscal Year: 2013..determination methods to deliver optimal structures and establish a theoretical basis for unification and rationalization of 3D-EM single particle structure determination methodology...
- FUNCTIONAL EFFECTS OF ALLELIC VARIATION IN HUMAN CYP2D6ROBERT HAINING; Fiscal Year: 2001..variant toward important substrates of CYP2D6 including MPTP, fluoxetine, codeine and dextromethorphan and rationalization of allelic variability data with homology models for 2D6...
- A new experimental platform to study biofilms: Microfluidic-DHMRoman Stocker; Fiscal Year: 2009..To date, the small spatial scales, heterogeneity and time-dependence have defeated the rationalization of biofilm processes in terms of general mechanistic principles, forcing therapeutics to resort primarily to ..
- Rationalization of Gene Regulation By Genome AnalysisNeil Clarke; Fiscal Year: 2005..In addition to computational analyses on a variety of systems, experimental data will be obtained for selected systems with properties ideally suited for addressing issues of binding specificity and competition. ..
- FUNCTIONAL CHARACTERISTICS OF SMOOTH MUSCLE FROM LUNGJoseph Souhrada; Fiscal Year: 1980..This approach may lead toward rationalization of therapy of airway hyperreactivity and bronchoconstriction, such as present in bronchial asthma, which in ..
- Professionalism & Rationalization of Clinical ProcessesLei Jin; Fiscal Year: 2004..which are derived from core values in medical professionalism, influence physicians' attitudes towards rationalization of clinical practices, and thereby impact upon their practices of rationalizing processes...
- PROGRAMMABLE TACTILE AID FOR THE DEAFDavid Franklin; Fiscal Year: 2000..There is little doubt that this effort of rationalization is long over due...
- Synthesis of Macrolides, Steroids, Cyclopentanoids, etc.BARRY TROST; Fiscal Year: 2009..These new synthetic methods apply to many structural types beyond those illustrated and constitutes a significant to gain access to complex molecular targets more easily. ..
- SYNTHESIS OF CANNABINOIDS, ANALOGUES AND METABOLITESJohn Huffman; Fiscal Year: 2009..There a possibility that these metabolites may be contributing to the enhanced potency of cannabinoids with a dimethylheptyl side chain. ..
- Proatherogenic properties of platelet fator 4Bruce S Sachais; Fiscal Year: 2010..into the role of PF4, the most abundant protein released by activated platelets, on the development of atherosclerosis, delineate the pathways by which this occurs in vivo, and suggest potential methods to intervene in atherogenesis ..
- Agilent 5973 GC/MS SystemGARY MOLANDER; Fiscal Year: 2002..Our current lack of such instrumentation negatively affects the ability to carry out many of these studies. This critical capability, in the form of an instrument for everyday analysis, is urgently needed. ..
- Neural recruitment during self-control of smoking: An fMRI paradigmJohn Monterosso; Fiscal Year: 2008..With the primary procedures already operational and in use, this 2-year project should yield valuable insights into the substrates of self-control, with both basic science and clinical implications. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- ASYMMETRIC SYNTHESIS OF VANCOMYCIN ANTIBIOTICSDavid Evans; Fiscal Year: 2001..During the course of this project we intend to confirm (correct) the absolute stereochemical assignments of the principal members of this family by total synthesis. ..
- Oral Exposure and Transmission of HIVPeter Southern; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- Drugs targeting intact lipoprotein receptorsBRUCE SACHAIS; Fiscal Year: 2004..Specific Aim 2: Create and validate biosensor-based analysis of LDL-R lipoparticles. In this aim, we will use LDL-R lipoparticles on the optical biosensor platform with the goal of measuring ligand-binding kinetics. ..
- Catalytic Processes for Selective Organic SynthesisGARY MOLANDER; Fiscal Year: 2005..4) Carbometalation/cyclization reactions will be explored utilizing organochromium species. 5) Ligands and catalytic systems designed for asymmetric synthesis will be explored. ..
- Cleveland Cell Biology Symposium: RegulationALAN TARTAKOFF; Fiscal Year: 2004..The results should be an intense synthesis of knowledge which will be stimulating for both students and established faculty. ..
- ASYMMETRIC SYNTHESIS OF IONOPHORE/MACROLIDE ANTIBIOTICSDavid Evans; Fiscal Year: 2005..Our goal has been to set in place all of the reactions necessary for the rapid assemblage of any polyketide target structure. ..
- Synthesis of Cannabinoid Receptor LigandsJohn Huffman; Fiscal Year: 2005..A number of new classical cannabinoids will be synthesized, including additional 1',2'-dimethylheptyl-delta8-tetrahydrocannabinol analogues and the six geminally disubstituted dimethylheptyl-delta8-tetrahydrocannabinols. ..
- Adolescent Gastric By-Pass and Diabetic PrecursorsThomas Inge; Fiscal Year: 2006....
- Development of the Partner Violence Perpetration Among *Jay Silverman; Fiscal Year: 2006..This comparison will be vital to determining whether the risk and protective factors identified are relevant to present interventions for men who batter their female partners. ..
- Mechanisms for Relations of Domestic Violence to Poor Maternal and Infant HealthJay Silverman; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Views and Approaches Toward Research Integrity Among IRBsRobert Klitzman; Fiscal Year: 2007..We anticipate that the data from this study will serve as a significant foundation in assisting future research and the improvement of Rl through guidelines, education and other capacity building. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- SUBTLE DISTURBANCES OF COBALAMIN STATUSRalph Carmel; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Novel Responses to Oxygen by Anaerobic MicroorganismsMichael Adams; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Synthesis of Polyketides and TerpenesDavid A Evans; Fiscal Year: 2010..As a consequence, organic synthesis is a critical discipline that continues to have an important impact on the fields of both medicine and biology. ..
- EFFECT OF PF4 ON LIPOPROTEIN METABOLISM/ATHEROSCLEROSISBRUCE SACHAIS; Fiscal Year: 2004..This research proposal is part of comprehensive training program designed to prepare the applicant for a career as an independent investigator in the field of vascular biology. ..
- Views of Privacy of Genetic InformationRobert Klitzman; Fiscal Year: 2005..The findings of this study can enhance further policy, professional and public education, and future research in this area. ..
- BRAIN SUBSTRATES OF SELF-CONTROL IN ADDICTIONJohn Monterosso; Fiscal Year: 2005..Whether the dysfunction is a predisposing factor for, or a consequence of, stimulant use - or both - it could undermine an important psychological resource for recovery. ..
- Operant Analysis of Self-ControlHoward Rachlin; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable]..