Genomes and Genes
Summary: A person's concept of self as being male and masculine or female and feminine, or ambivalent, based in part on physical characteristics, parental responses, and psychological and social pressures. It is the internal experience of gender role.
Publications345 found, 100 shown here
- Constructions of masculinity and their influence on men's well-being: a theory of gender and healthW H Courtenay
Sonoma State University, CA, USA
Soc Sci Med 50:1385-401. 2000..Finally, it explores how social and institutional structures help to sustain and reproduce men's health risks and the social construction of men as the stronger sex...
- Psychiatric comorbidity among patients with gender identity disorderMasahiko Hoshiai
Department of Neuropsychiatry, Okayama University Graduate School of Medicine, Dentistry and Pharmaceutical Sciences, Okayama University, Okayama, Japan
Psychiatry Clin Neurosci 64:514-9. 2010..instability seem to be important unfavorable prognostic factors for long-term psychosocial adjustment in gender identity disorder (GID). However, psychiatric comorbidity in patients with GID has rarely been assessed...
- Psychiatric comorbidity among children with gender identity disorderMadeleine S C Wallien
Department of Medical Psychology and Institute for Clinical and Experimental Neurosciences, Graduate School of Neurosciences, at the VU University Medical Center, Amsterdam
J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 46:1307-14. 2007To investigate the prevalence and type of comorbidity in children with gender identity disorder (GID).
- 'It's caveman stuff, but that is to a certain extent how guys still operate': men's accounts of masculinity and help seekingRosaleen O'Brien
MRC Social and Public Health Sciences Unit, 4 Lilybank Gardens, Glasgow G12 8RZ, UK
Soc Sci Med 61:503-16. 2005..g. working as a fire-fighter, or maintaining sexual performance or function). Few other studies have emphasised how men negotiate deviations from the hegemonic view of help-seeking...
- Gender identity disorders: diagnostic and surgical aspectsMichael Sohn
Department of Urology, Markus Hospital, Frankfurt, Germany
J Sex Med 4:1193-207; quiz 1208. 2007..Best results are to be expected when using multidisciplinary teams of plastic surgeons, urologists, gynecologists, and experts in sexual medicine in large volume centers...
- Romantic red: red enhances men's attraction to womenAndrew J Elliot
Department of Clinical and Social Sciences in Psychology, University of Rochester, Rochester, NY 14627, USA
J Pers Soc Psychol 95:1150-64. 2008..Furthermore, the findings document the value of extending research on signal coloration to humans and of considering color as something of a common language, both within and across species...
- Sexual differentiation of the human brain in relation to gender identity and sexual orientationIvanka Savic
Department of Clinical Neuroscience, Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden
Prog Brain Res 186:41-62. 2010..According to this concept, our gender identity (the conviction of belonging to the male or female gender) and sexual orientation should be programmed into ..
- Psychiatric comorbidity of gender identity disorders: a survey among Dutch psychiatristsJoost a Campo
Mondriaan Zorggroep Hospital, The Netherlands
Am J Psychiatry 160:1332-6. 2003In the Netherlands, it is considered good medical practice to offer patients with gender identity disorder the option to undergo hormonal and surgical sex reassignment therapy...
- Sexual differentiation of the human brain: relation to gender identity, sexual orientation and neuropsychiatric disordersAi Min Bao
Department of Neurobiology, Key Laboratory of Medical Neurobiology of Ministry of Health of China, Zhejiang Province Key Laboratory of Neurobiology, Zhejiang University School of Medicine, Hangzhou, China
Front Neuroendocrinol 32:214-26. 2011..Sex differences in cognition, gender identity (an individual's perception of their own sexual identity), sexual orientation (heterosexuality, homosexuality ..
- Distinctive features of female-to-male transsexualism and prevalence of gender identity disorder in JapanTsuyoshi Baba
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Sapporo Medical University, Sapporo, Japan
J Sex Med 8:1686-93. 2011..Consequently, detection of PCOS is an important part of health care for these individuals...
- Sexual differentiation of the human brain in relation to gender identity and sexual orientationDick F Swaab
The Netherlands Institutes for Neuroscience, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Funct Neurol 24:17-28. 2009..In this way, our gender identity (the conviction of belonging to the male or female gender) and sexual orientation are programmed into our ..
- Which African men promote smaller families and why? Marital relations and fertility in a Pare community in Northern TanzaniaMarida Hollos
Department of Anthropology, Brown University, Providence, RI 02912, USA
Soc Sci Med 58:1733-49. 2004..The discussion relates the differences in the marital patterns and fertility preferences to differences in the life plans of Christians and Muslims in this community...
- Demographics, behavior problems, and psychosexual characteristics of adolescents with gender identity disorder or transvestic fetishismKenneth J Zucker
Gender Identity Service, Child, Youth, and Family Program, Centre for Addiction and Mental Health, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Sex Marital Ther 38:151-89. 2012..quantitative comparative analysis of data from an assessment protocol for adolescents referred clinically for gender identity disorder (n = 192; 105 boys, 87 girls) or transvestic fetishism (n = 137, all boys)...
- Prenatal sex hormone effects on child and adult sex-typed behavior: methods and findingsCelina C C Cohen-Bendahan
Department of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, and Rudolf Magnus Institute of Neuroscience, University Medical Center Utrecht, The Netherlands
Neurosci Biobehav Rev 29:353-84. 2005..We conclude with suggestions for interpreting and conducting studies of the behavioral effects of prenatal hormones...
- A meta-analytic review of sex differences in facial expression processing and their development in infants, children, and adolescentsE B McClure
Department of Psychology, Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia 30322, USA
Psychol Bull 126:424-53. 2000..Possible directions for future study are discussed, with emphasis on the need to integrate the infant literature with research focused on older children and adults...
- Role congruity theory of prejudice toward female leadersAlice H Eagly
Department of Psychology, Northwestern University, Evanston, Illinois 60208, USA
Psychol Rev 109:573-98. 2002..Evidence from varied research paradigms substantiates that these consequences occur, especially in situations that heighten perceptions of incongruity between the female gender role and leadership roles...
- Androgens, androgen receptors, and male gender role behaviorJ D Wilson
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, 5323 Harry Hines Boulevard, Dallas, Texas 75390 8857, USA
Horm Behav 40:358-66. 2001..These findings indicate that androgens are important determinants of gender role behavior (and probably of gender identity) and that this action is mediated by the androgen receptor and not the result of conversion of androgen to ..
- Addressing gender dynamics and engaging men in HIV programs: lessons learned from Horizons researchJulie Pulerwitz
Program for Appropriate Technology in Health, Washington, DC, USA
Public Health Rep 125:282-92. 2010..The portfolio of work reveals the potential and importance of directly addressing gender dynamics in HIV- and violence-prevention programs for both men and women...
- Sexual differentiation of the brain and behaviorDick F Swaab
Netherlands Institute for Neuroscience, Meibergdreef 47, 1105 BA Amsterdam ZO, The Netherlands
Best Pract Res Clin Endocrinol Metab 21:431-44. 2007..During this time, gender identity (the feeling of being a man or a woman), sexual orientation, and other behaviors are programmed...
- Moving forward on women's gender-related HIV vulnerability: the good news, the bad news and what to do about itGeeta Rao Gupta
International Center for Research on Women, Washington, DC, USA
Glob Public Health 6:S370-82. 2011....
- Gender differences in personality traits across cultures: robust and surprising findingsP T Costa
National Institute on Aging, National Institute of Health, Baltimore, Maryland 21224 6825, USA
J Pers Soc Psychol 81:322-31. 2001..Possible explanations for this surprising finding are discussed, including the attribution of masculine and feminine behaviors to roles rather than traits in traditional cultures...
- Gender differences in self-esteem: a meta-analysisK C Kling
Psychology Department, University of Wisconsin Madison 53706, USA
Psychol Bull 125:470-500. 1999..24). Taken together, the 2 analyses provide evidence that males score higher on standard measures of global self-esteem than females, but the difference is small. Potential reasons for the small yet consistent effect size are discussed...
- Gender dynamics in the primary sexual relationships of young rural South African women and menLUCIA F O'SULLIVAN
Department of Family and Social Medicine, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, New York 10461, USA
Cult Health Sex 8:99-113. 2006..Efforts aimed at improving acceptance and adoption of alternative scripts for women and men may help to broaden young people's repertoire of HIV prevention options...
- Gender differences in erotic plasticity: the female sex drive as socially flexible and responsiveR F Baumeister
Department of Psychology, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio 44106 7123, USA
Psychol Bull 126:347-74; discussion 385-9. 2000....
- Gay identity, interpersonal violence, and HIV risk behaviors: an empirical test of theoretical relationships among a probability-based sample of urban men who have sex with menMichael V Relf
Department of Professional Nursing, Georgetown University School of Nursing and Health Studies, Washington, D C, USA
J Assoc Nurses AIDS Care 15:14-26. 2004..Also of importance, battering victimization was identified as a key mediating variable between childhood sexual abuse, gay identity, and adverse early life experiences and HIV risk behaviors among urban MSM...
- Gender identity: a multidimensional analysis with implications for psychosocial adjustmentS K Egan
Department of Psychology, University of Massachusetts Dartmouth, USA
Dev Psychol 37:451-63. 2001This study examined the relations between components of gender identity and psychosocial adjustment. The aspects of gender identity assessed were (a) feelings of psychological compatibility with one's gender (i.e....
- Testosterone during pregnancy and gender role behavior of preschool children: a longitudinal, population studyMelissa Hines
Department of Psychology, City University, London, UK
Child Dev 73:1678-87. 2002..Although other, unmeasured factors may explain the relation, the results suggest that normal variability in T levels prenatally may contribute to the development of individual differences in the gender role behavior of preschool girls...
- Constructions of masculinity following prostatectomy-induced impotenceJohn Oliffe
University of British Columbia, School of Nursing, T 289 2211 Wesbrook Mall, Vancouver, BC, Canada V6T 2B5
Soc Sci Med 60:2249-59. 2005..The findings disrupt essentialist constructions of male sexuality and impotence, and provide valuable insight for clinical practice...
- "Everyone has a right to, like, check their box:" findings on a measure of gender identity from a cognitive testing study with adolescentsKerith Jane Conron
Department of Society, Human Development, and Health, Harvard School of Public Health, 677 Huntington Avenue, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J LGBT Health Res 4:1-9. 2008..youth, a small but high-risk population, are hindered by a lack of knowledge about how to accurately measure gender identity. Adolescents (n = 30) participated in semistructured qualitative interviews after completing a close-ended ..
- Estimates of emotional and psychometric intelligence: evidence for gender-based stereotypesK V Petrides
Department of Psychology, University College, London, England
J Soc Psychol 144:149-62. 2004....
- Gender identity in disorders of sex development: review articleJennifer H Yang
Division of Pediatric Urology, University of California, San Francisco Children s Hospital, San Francisco, California, USA
Urology 75:153-9. 2010..Although determining the most appropriate gender is a difficult task, this review will help clarify some of the issues at hand...
- The gender identity/gender dysphoria questionnaire for adolescents and adultsJoseph J Deogracias
University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Sex Res 44:370-9. 2007The present study reports on the construction of a dimensional measure of gender identity (gender dysphoria) for adolescents and adults...
- Taxometric analyses of sexual orientation and gender identityS W Gangestad
Department of Psychology, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque 87131 1161, USA
J Pers Soc Psychol 78:1109-21. 2000..considerations, the current study tested whether taxa underlie sexual orientation and related measures of gender identity. Two taxometric procedures, maximum covariance, making hits maximum (MAXCOV) and mean above minus below a cut ..
- Gender differences in unipolar depression: an update of epidemiological findings and possible explanationsC Kuehner
Division of Genetic Epidemiology in Psychiatry, Central Institute of Mental Health, Mannheim, Germany
Acta Psychiatr Scand 108:163-74. 2003..To give an update on epidemiological findings on sex differences in the prevalence of unipolar depression and putative risk factors...
- Gender role behavior in children with XY karyotype and disorders of sex developmentMartina Jürgensen
Department of Child and Adolescent Medicine, University Hospital Schleswig Holstein, Campus Lubeck, Ratzeburger Allee 160, D 23538 Lubeck, Germany
Horm Behav 51:443-53. 2007..effects reared as girls showed increased "boyish" behaviors, they did not show increased signs of gender identity confusion or instability on a group level...
- Placing gender at the centre of health programming: challenges and limitationsCarol Vlassoff
Pan American Health Organization, WHO, Paramaribo, Suriname
Soc Sci Med 54:1713-23. 2002....
- Clinical characteristics of patients with gender identity disorder at a Japanese gender identity disorder clinicNobuyuki Okabe
Department of Neuropsychiatry, Okayama University, Okayama, Japan
Psychiatry Res 157:315-8. 2008The aim of this study was to examine the clinical characteristics of patients with gender identity disorder (GID) at a GID clinic in Japan...
- Adaptation aftereffects in the perception of gender from biological motionNikolaus F Troje
Department of Psychology, Queen s University, Kingston, Ontario, Canada
J Vis 6:850-7. 2006..We discuss this adaptation aftereffect as a tool to characterize and probe the mechanisms underlying biological motion perception...
- Association study of gender identity disorder and sex hormone-related genesHiroshi Ujike
Department of Neuropsychiatry, Okayama University Graduate School of Medicine, Dentistry and Pharmaceutical Sciences, Okayama, Japan
Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry 33:1241-4. 2009To investigate the biological mechanism of gender identity disorder (GID), five candidate sex hormone-related genes, encoding androgen receptor (AR), estrogen receptors alpha (ERalpha) and beta (ERbeta), aromatase (CYP19), and ..
- Sexual orientation and gender identity/expression related peer victimization in adolescence: a systematic review of associated psychosocial and health outcomesKate L Collier
HIV Center for Clinical and Behavioral Studies, New York State Psychiatric Institute and Columbia University, New York 10032, USA
J Sex Res 50:299-317. 2013..and health outcomes associated with peer victimization related to adolescent sexual orientation and gender identity or expression. Using four electronic databases and supplementary methods, we identified 39 relevant studies...
- Cross-sex hormone treatment does not change sex-sensitive cognitive performance in gender identity disorder patientsIra R Haraldsen
Department of Psychiatry, Ulleval University Hospital, University of Oslo, 0407 Oslo, Norway
Psychiatry Res 137:161-74. 2005Cognitive performance in untreated early onset gender identity disorder (GID) patients might correspond to their born sex and not to their perceived gender...
- Gender role, life satisfaction, and wellness: androgyny in a southwestern Ontario sampleReagan Gale-Ross
Department of Psychology, University of Windsor, Windsor, Ontario, Canada
Can J Aging 28:135-46. 2009..Older men's self-reported physical health functioning and general wellness did not differ significantly by gender role. Limitations and implications are discussed...
- Masculinity, femininity, and transsexualismAnna Herman-Jeglińska
Department of Neurophysiology, Nencki Institute of Experimental Biology, Warsaw, Poland
Arch Sex Behav 31:527-34. 2002This study examined the relationship between sex role and gender identity in a Polish transsexual population where, unlike in Western countries, male-to-female (MF) transsexualism is much less common than female-to-male (FM) ..
- Gender identity disorder in twins: a review of the case report literatureGunter Heylens
Department of Sexology and Gender Problems, Ghent University Hospital, Ghent, Belgium
J Sex Med 9:751-7. 2012The etiology of gender identity disorder (GID) remains largely unknown. In recent literature, increased attention has been attributed to possible biological factors in addition to psychological variables.
- Gender nonconformity, intelligence, and sexual orientationQazi Rahman
Biological and Experimental Psychology Group, School of Biological and Chemical Sciences, Queen Mary University of London, Mile End Road, London, E1 4NS, UK
Arch Sex Behav 41:623-30. 2012..They also support growing evidence that quantitative measures of sex-atypicality are useful in the study of trait sexual orientation...
- Independent effects of personality and sex on self-estimated intelligence: evidence from AustriaStefan Stieger
Department of Basic Psychological Research School of Psychology, University of Vienna, Austria
Psychol Rep 107:553-63. 2010..Sex and personality effects appear to be largely independent. Thus, being male, emotionally stable, and open to new experiences is likely to result in higher self-estimates of spatial and logical abilities...
- Demonstrating the acquired familiarity of faces by using a gender-decision taskRuth Clutterbuck
School of Psychology, University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham B15 2TT, UK
Perception 33:159-68. 2004....
- Birth order in girls with gender identity disorderK J Zucker
Child and Adolescent Gender Identity Clinic, Child and Family Studies Centre, Clarke Institute of Psychiatry, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Eur Child Adolesc Psychiatry 7:30-5. 1998This study examined the birth order of girls with gender identity disorder (N = 22)...
- Gender identity disorder: a literature review from a developmental perspectiveTomer Shechner
Department of Psychology, Tel Aviv University, Ramat Aviv, Israel
Isr J Psychiatry Relat Sci 47:132-8. 2010..Seven domains are reviewed in relation to gender variant behavior in general, and to Gender Identity Disorder (GID) in particular: theories of normative gender development, phenomenology, prevalence, assessment,..
- Sibling sex ratio of boys with gender identity disorderK J Zucker
Child and Adolescent Gender Identity Clinic, Child and Family Studies Centre, Clarke Institute of Psychiatry, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Child Psychol Psychiatry 38:543-51. 1997Sibling sex ratio (the ratio of brothers to sisters) was calculated for 444 boys with gender identity disorder (or with behaviors consistent with this diagnosis)...
- Parental investment theory and gender differences in the evolution of inhibition mechanismsD F Bjorklund
Department of Psychology, Florida Atlantic University, Boca Raton 33431, USA
Psychol Bull 120:163-88. 1996....
- Minding the body: situating gender identity diagnoses in the ICD-11Jack Drescher
Department of Psychiatry, New York Medical College, New York, USA
Int Rev Psychiatry 24:568-77. 2012..clinical and research data to inform the revision of diagnostic categories related to sexuality and gender identity that are currently included in the mental and behavioural disorders chapter of ICD-10, and making initial ..
- Do the BSRI and PAQ really measure masculinity and femininity?Juan Fernandez
Departamento de Psicologia Evolutiva y de la Educacion, Facultad de Psicologia, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Campus de Somosaguas, 28223 Madrid, Spain
Span J Psychol 13:1000-9. 2010....
- Regional cerebral blood flow changes in female to male gender identity disorderHideyuki Nawata
Department of Psychiatry, Faculty of Medicine, Fukuoka University, Fukuoka, Japan
Psychiatry Clin Neurosci 64:157-61. 2010Despite a range of research on gender identity disorder (GID), at present there is no scientific consensus on whether the etiology of GID is mental or physical...
- Sex and gender traps and springboards: a focus group study among gender researchers in medicine and health sciencesMonica Christianson
Department of Nursing, Umea University, Umea, Sweden
Health Care Women Int 33:739-55. 2012..Here the specific views of gender researchers in medicine and health sciences-"medical insiders"-bring new challenges into focus...
- The relationship of gender, gender identity, and coping strategies in late adolescentsKimberly Renk
Department of Psychology, University of Central Florida, Orlando, FL 32816, USA
J Adolesc 26:159-68. 2003The relationships among gender, gender identity, and coping in late adolescents were examined...
- HIV, gender, race, sexual orientation, and sex work: a qualitative study of intersectional stigma experienced by HIV-positive women in Ontario, CanadaCarmen H Logie
Women s College Research Institute, Women s College Hospital, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
PLoS Med 8:e1001124. 2011..The study objective was to explore experiences of stigma and coping strategies among HIV-positive women in Ontario, Canada...
- Construction of masculinities among men aged 85 and older in the north of SwedenLena Alex
Department of Nursing, Umea University, Umea, Sweden
J Clin Nurs 17:451-9. 2008..The aim was to analyse the construction of masculinities among men aged 85 and older...
- Moving beyond behaviour: advancing HIV risk prevention epistemologies and interventions (A report on the state of the literature)Alton F Phillips
Department of Sociology, New York University, New York, NY, USA
Glob Public Health 6:577-92. 2011....
- Galanin neurons in the intermediate nucleus (InM) of the human hypothalamus in relation to sex, age, and gender identityAlicia Garcia-Falgueras
Netherlands Institute for Neuroscience, Institute of the Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Science, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Comp Neurol 519:3061-84. 2011..We investigated its population of galanin-immunoreactive (Gal-Ir) neurons in relation to sex, age, and gender identity in the postmortem brain of 77 subjects...
- Stress-coping strategies of patients with gender identity disorderYosuke Matsumoto
Department of Neuropsychiatry, Okayama University Graduate School of Medicine, Dentistry and Pharmaceutical Sciences, Okayama, Japan
Psychiatry Clin Neurosci 63:715-20. 2009Previous research has not addressed gender differences in coping strategies among patients with gender identity disorder (GID). Nor has the relationship of coping strategies to other demographic characteristics ever been clarified in GID...
- A report from a single institute's 14-year experience in treatment of male-to-female transsexualsCiro Imbimbo
University Federico II, Department of Urology, Naples, Italy
J Sex Med 6:2736-45. 2009b>Gender identity disorder or transsexualism is a complex clinical condition, and prevailing social context strongly impacts the form of its manifestations...
- How queer!--the development of gender identity and sexual orientation in LGBTQ-headed familiesArlene Istar Lev
Choices Counseling and Consulting, and State University New York at Albany, School of Social Welfare, Albany, NY 12203, USA
Fam Process 49:268-90. 2010..The extant research on LGBTQ-headed families has minimized the complexity of children's developing gender identity and sexual orientation living in queer families, and has been guided by heteronormative assumptions that ..
- Exchange of sex for resources: HIV risk and gender norms in Cabo Delgado, MozambiqueSarah Bandali
Department of Population Studies, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London, UK
Cult Health Sex 13:575-88. 2011..Nuanced understandings of gender dynamics and its influence on sexual risk taking and risk-reduction efforts in different local contexts are required...
- Suicidal ideation among patients with gender identity disorderSeishi Terada
Department of Neuropsychiatry, Okayama University Graduate School of Medicine, Dentistry and Pharmaceutical Sciences, 2 5 1 Shikata cho, Kita ku, Okayama 700 8558, Japan
Psychiatry Res 190:159-62. 2011..the prevalence of suicidal ideation and self-mutilation including suicide attempts among patients with gender identity disorder (GID) and the relationship of those behaviors to demographic characteristics...
- Gender identity and substance use among students in two high schools in Monterrey, MexicoStephen Kulis
Southwest Interdisciplinary Research Center, Arizona State University, 411 N Central Avenue, Suite 720, Mailcode 4320, Phoenix, AZ 85004 0693, USA
Drug Alcohol Depend 95:258-68. 2008This study explored relationships between several hypothesized dimensions of gender identity and substance use outcomes within a non-probability sample of adolescents in Monterrey, Mexico...
- Etiology, clinical profile, gender identity and long-term follow up of patients with ambiguous genitalia in IndiaA C Ammini
Department of Endocrinology, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi
J Pediatr Endocrinol Metab 15:423-30. 2002..Sex of rearing and gender identity were concordant in all except the patients with perineal hypospadias with normal Leydig cell response...
- HIV prevention and primary care for transgender women in a community-based clinicRita M Melendez
Sexuality Studies Department, San Francisco State University, San Francisco, USA
J Assoc Nurses AIDS Care 20:387-97. 2009..Community-based health care settings can be ideal locales for HIV prevention and primary care for TW...
- The biology of human psychosexual differentiationLouis Gooren
Department of Endocrinology, Vrije Universiteit Medical Center, PO Box 7057, 1007 MB Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Horm Behav 50:589-601. 2006Most attempts to identify biological underpinnings of gender identity and sexual orientation in humans have investigated effects of sex steroids, so pivotal in the differentiation of the genitalia, showing strong parallels between ..
- Birth order and sexual orientation in men: evidence for two independent interactionsAnthony F Bogaert
Department of Community Health Sciences, Brock University, St Catharines, Canada
J Biosoc Sci 38:811-9. 2006..If these findings prove reliable, it raises the possibility that different aetiological factors underlie the birth order/sexual orientation relationship in men...
- Birth order and ratio of brothers to sisters in Spanish transsexualsEsther Gomez-Gil
Unidad de Identidad de Género, Instituto Clínic de Neurociencias, Servicio de Psiquiatria, Hospital Clinic, Universidad de Barcelona, Spain
Arch Sex Behav 40:505-10. 2011....
- Fraternal birth order and birth weight in probably prehomosexual feminine boysRay Blanchard
Centre for Addiction and Mental Health Clarke Site, 250 College Street, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5T 1R8
Horm Behav 41:321-7. 2002..boys and 261 control girls referred to the same service for reasons unrelated to sexual orientation or gender identity disorder and assumed, from base-rate probabilities, to be preheterosexual...
- Human nonverbal courtship behavior--a brief historical reviewMonica M Moore
Department of Behavioral and Social Sciences, Webster University, St Louis, MO 63119, USA
J Sex Res 47:171-80. 2010..The article ends by elucidating some key features of human nonverbal courtship behavior that have become apparent after scrutinizing these data...
- Female competition: causes, constraints, content, and contextsAnne Campbell
Psychology Department, Durham University, South Road, Durham, DH1 3LE, England
J Sex Res 41:16-26. 2004..Data from criminology, psychology, evolutionary biology, and anthropology are used to support these proposals...
- Male gender identity in complete androgen insensitivity syndromeGuy T'sjoen
Department of Endocrinology, Center for Sexology and Genderproblems, Ghent University Hospital, Belgium
Arch Sex Behav 40:635-8. 2011Women and girls with complete androgen insensitivity syndrome (CAIS) invariably have a female typical core gender identity. In this case report, we describe the first case of male gender identity in a CAIS individual raised female ..
- Body dissatisfaction and body change behaviors in Chile: the role of sociocultural factorsDavid Mellor
School of Psychology, Deakin University, Burwood 3125, Melbourne, Australia
Body Image 5:205-15. 2008..These findings are discussed in relation to research conducted in other contexts, and it is concluded that findings from other locations may not be applied universally...
- Sexual differentiation of the human brain: relevance for gender identity, transsexualism and sexual orientationD F Swaab
Netherlands Institute for Brain Research, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Gynecol Endocrinol 19:301-12. 2004..effects of testosterone on the developing fetal brain are of major importance for the development of male gender identity and male heterosexual orientation. Solid evidence for the importance of postnatal social factors is lacking...
- Hormonally active agents in the environment and children's behavior: assessing effects on children's gender-dimorphic outcomesDavid E Sandberg
Department of Psychiatry, School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, University at Buffalo, The State University of New York, and Pediatric Psychiatry and Psychology, Children s Hospital of Buffalo, 14222, USA
Epidemiology 14:148-54. 2003..Early sex hormone exposure contributes to gender-dimorphic behavioral development in mammals, including humans. Environmental toxicants concentrated in contaminated sport fish can interfere with the actions of sex steroids...
- Wives' attitudes toward gender roles and their experience of intimate partner violence by husbands in Central Province, Sri LankaAchini Jayatilleke
University of Tokyo, Japan
J Interpers Violence 26:414-32. 2011....
- Gender identity development and issuesKenneth J Zucker
Child and Adolescent Gender Identity Clinic, Centre for Addiction and Mental Health, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Child Adolesc Psychiatr Clin N Am 13:551-68, vii. 2004..of children and adolescents who have sex-typed behavioral patterns that correspond to the diagnosis of Gender Identity Disorder, as defined in the fourth edition of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders...
- What can the Samoan "Fa'afafine" teach us about the Western concept of gender identity disorder in childhood?Paul L Vasey
Department of Psychology, University of Lethbridge, 4401 University Drive, Lethbridge, Alberta, T1K 3M4, Canada
Perspect Biol Med 50:481-90. 2007This article examines whether gender identity disorder in childhood (GIDC) constitutes a mental disorder as outlined by the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, 4th edition (DSM-IV-TR)...
- Genetic and environmental influences on individual differences in masculinity, femininity, and gender diagnosticity: analyzing data from a classic twin studyR Lippa
Department of Psychology, California State University, Fullerton 92834 6846, USA
J Pers 67:127-55. 1999..Finally, (4) the estimated within-sex heritability of GD (.53) is significantly greater than the estimated within-sex heritabilities of either M (.36) or F (.38)...
- Masculine girls and feminine boys: genetic and environmental contributions to atypical gender development in early childhoodAriel Knafo
Department of Psychology, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Jerusalem 91905, Israel
J Pers Soc Psychol 88:400-12. 2005..The results are discussed in light of past studies and potential implications for atypical gender development...
- The Recalled Childhood Gender Questionnaire-Revised: a psychometric analysis in a sample of women with congenital adrenal hyperplasiaHeino F L Meyer-Bahlburg
New York State Psychiatric Institute and Dept of Psychiatry, Columbia University, 1051 Riverside Drive, NYSPI Unit 15, New York, NY 1003, USA
J Sex Res 43:364-7. 2006..We conclude that the first 2 RCGQ-R scales show good psychometric qualities, but that the third scale needs to be further evaluated in a sample that includes women with gender identity disorder.
- A retrospective study of childhood gender-atypical behavior in Samoan fa'afafineNancy H Bartlett
Department of Psychology, Mount Saint Vincent University, 166 Bedford Hwy, Halifax, Nova Scotia B3M 2J6, Canada
Arch Sex Behav 35:659-66. 2006....
- Gender identity of children and young adults with 5alpha-reductase deficiencyE P Praveen
Department ofEndocrinology and Metabolism, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, India
J Pediatr Endocrinol Metab 21:173-9. 2008..Our assessment of these children reveals that they had male gender identity from childhood...
- Recalled sex-typed behavior in childhood and sports' preferences in adulthood of heterosexual, bisexual, and homosexual men from Brazil, Turkey, and ThailandFernando Luiz Cardoso
Laboratório de Gênero, Sexualidade e Corporeidade, Santa Catarina State University UDESC, Rua Benevenuta Bartlet James, 69, Florianopolis, Santa Catarina, Cep 88 015 630, Brazil
Arch Sex Behav 38:726-36. 2009..These results, coupled with previous cross-cultural research, suggest that cross-gender behavior in childhood may characterize most male homosexuals regardless of their cultural milieu...
- Genetic and environmental influences on cross-gender behavior and relation to behavior problems: a study of Dutch twins at ages 7 and 10 yearsC E M van Beijsterveldt
Department of Biological Psychology, Vrije Universiteit, Van der Boechorststraat 1, 1081 BT Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Arch Sex Behav 35:647-58. 2006..Cross-gender behavior was associated with higher scores on Internalizing and Externalizing problems, both in boys and in girls...
- Genders, sexes, and health: what are the connections--and why does it matter?Nancy Krieger
Department of Health and Social Behavior, Harvard School of Public Health, 677 Huntington Avenue, Boson, MA 02115, USA
Int J Epidemiol 32:652-7. 2003..Because our science will only be as clear and error-free as our thinking, greater precision about whether and when gender relations, sex-linked biology, both, or neither matter for health is warranted...
- Male-to-female transsexuals have female neuron numbers in a limbic nucleusF P Kruijver
Graduate School Neurosciences Amsterdam, The Netherlands Institute for Brain Research
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 85:2034-41. 2000..from a previous brain study in male-to-female transsexuals was whether the reported difference according to gender identity in the central part of the bed nucleus of the stria terminalis (BSTc) was based on a neuronal difference in ..
- Genetic and environmental influences on sexual orientation and its correlates in an Australian twin sampleJ M Bailey
Department of Psychology, Northwestern University, Evanston, Illinois 60208 2710, USA
J Pers Soc Psychol 78:524-36. 2000..and assessed their sexual orientation and 2 related traits: childhood gender nonconformity and continuous gender identity. Men and women differed in their distributions of sexual orientation, with women more likely to have slight-..
- The effect of power in sexual relationships on sexual and reproductive health: an examination of the evidenceA K Blanc
Blancroft Research International, 11718 Lightfall Court, Columbia, MD 21044, USA
Stud Fam Plann 32:189-213. 2001..Although many challenges remain, results to date suggest that when the role of gender-based power is made an integral feature of sexual and reproductive health programs, there is a considerable payoff for both women and men...
- Testing the prenatal hormone hypothesis of tic-related disorders: gender identity and gender role behaviorGerianne M Alexander
Texas A and M University, Department of Psychology, College Station, 77843, USA
Dev Psychopathol 16:407-20. 2004..These findings therefore support the hypothesis that an altered androgen-dependent process of sexual differentiation during prenatal life may contribute to the development of tic-related disorders...
- Does gender identity influence children's psychological well-being?Jennifer L Yunger
Department of Psychology, Florida Atlantic University, Boca Raton, FL 33431, USA
Dev Psychol 40:572-82. 2004This study examined influences of gender identity on change in preadolescents' adjustment over time...
- Are you looking at me? Eye gaze and person perceptionC Neil Macrae
Department of Psychological and Brain Sciences, Dartmouth College, Hanover, NH 03755, USA
Psychol Sci 13:460-4. 2002..e., direct) eye gaze elicited facilitated categorical responses. The implications of these findings for recent treatments of person perception are considered...
- Transgender health: findings from two needs assessment studies in PhiladelphiaGretchen P Kenagy
Jane Addams College of Social Work, University of Illinois at Chicago, 60607 7134, USA
Health Soc Work 30:19-26. 2005..These findings suggest that prevention services that specifically address HIV/AIDS, suicide, and violence among transgender people are urgently needed...
- Consensus statement on management of intersex disordersI A Hughes
Department of Paediatrics, University of Cambridge, Addenbrooke s Hospital, Box 116, Level 8, Hills Road, Cambridge CB2 2QQ, UK
Arch Dis Child 91:554-63. 2006
- A five-year follow-up study of Swedish adults with gender identity disorderAnnika Johansson
Department of Psychiatry, Sexology Clinic, St Lars omr, MC huset, 221 85, Lund, Sweden
Arch Sex Behav 39:1429-37. 2010..28 years), and non-homosexually oriented (56 vs. 15%). In conclusion, almost all patients were satisfied with the sex reassignment; 86% were assessed by clinicians at follow-up as stable or improved in global functioning...
- Gender development in women with congenital adrenal hyperplasia as a function of disorder severityHeino F L Meyer-Bahlburg
NYS Psychiatric Institute Department of Psychiatry, Columbia University, 1051 Riverside Drive, NYSPI Unit 15, New York, New York 10032, USA
Arch Sex Behav 35:667-84. 2006..In terms of gender identity, two SW women were gender-dysphoric, and a third had changed to male in adulthood...
- The pursuit of muscularity among adolescent boys in Fiji and TongaLina A Ricciardelli
School of Psychology, Deakin University, 221 Burwood Highway, Burwood, Victoria 3125, Australia
Body Image 4:361-71. 2007..Boys' reasons for pursing muscularity included the attainment of strength and fitness, sporting performance, physical work, dominance, and health. These findings are examined in relation to previous research with Western adolescent boys...
- Androgen and psychosexual development: core gender identity, sexual orientation and recalled childhood gender role behavior in women and men with congenital adrenal hyperplasia (CAH)Melissa Hines
Department of Psychology, City University, Northampton Square, London, EC1V 0HB, UK
J Sex Res 41:75-81. 2004We assessed core gender identity, sexual orientation, and recalled childhood gender role behavior in 16 women and 9 men with CAH and in 15 unaffected female and 10 unaffected male relatives, all between the ages of 18 and 44 years...
- STATISITICAL DESIGN, MONITORING &COORD. OF VISION CLINICAL TRIALS &EPIDEMIOLOGYKeri Hammel; Fiscal Year: 2013..Also, there will be a measurement of pressure in the eye and thickness of the cornea. To study patients'DNA, the researchers will obtain a bloo..
- STATISITICAL DESIGN, MONITORING &COORD. OF VISION CLINICAL TRIALS &EPIDEMIOLOGYKeri Hammel; Fiscal Year: 2012..Also, there will be a measurement of pressure in the eye and thickness of the cornea. To study patients'DNA, the researchers will obtain a bloo..
- Understanding/ Treating Neuropsychiatric Symptoms of Pediatric Physical IllnessEva Szigethy; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- High Throughput Genotyping and DNA Sequencing for Studying the Genetic ContributiSonia Dua; Fiscal Year: 2013..The contractor is responsible for providing staff with the credentials required by CLIA. ..
- Novel Mitochondrial Mechanisms of Ethanol-Induced Cardiac Injury in Aged FemalesDONNA HOPE KORZICK; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- ROLE OF Rac AND REACTIVE OXYGEN SPECIES IN KAPOSI'S SARCOMA VIRAL ONCOGENESISEnrique A Mesri; Fiscal Year: 2013..So our work will allow us to not only to identify mechanisms of KS carcinogenesis but also will help to identify potential new target and new drugs for anti-KS therapy. ..
- A Soft Topical Antiandrogenic DrugWei Chu Xu; Fiscal Year: 2013..The synthesis and discovery of an optimal locally active androgen antagonist to be applied to the skin to treat acne, alopecia, seborrhea (and hirsutism in women) are the subjects of this application. ..
- IMMUNOGENETICS OF COLLAGEN INDUCED ARTHRITIS IN MICEChella David; Fiscal Year: 2009..The findings would shed light on the role of immune system in health and disease and may identify new therapeutic approaches for arthritis. ..
- Nanoparticle Coupled Antioxidants for Respiratory Illness in VeteransRODNEY JON SCHLOSSER; Fiscal Year: 2013..We will use a murine model of allergic fungal rhinosinusitis with exacerbation by smoke or DEP exposure to determine the efficacy of antiMUC1-SOD/CAT-NPs. ..
- Epigenetics of Sex Differences in Brain and BehaviorBRIDGET NUGENT; Fiscal Year: 2012....
- Maternal obesity depresses essential fatty acid transport in the placentaPERRIE F O'TIERNEY-GINN; Fiscal Year: 2012..The proposed studies will help us understand how obesity during pregnancy alters the placental transfer of nutrients from mother to child and how this impacts neonatal nutrition. ..
- Central Action of Brain-Derived Neurotrophic Factor in Male and Female RatsHaifei Shi; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Phage Display for Improved Peptide-based Tumor Targeting and Imaging AgentsSusan L Deutscher; Fiscal Year: 2013..This work is significant and relevant to the VA mission because the peptides discovered here may translate into novel prostate, breast, and ovarian cancer diagnostics and therapeutics for our veterans. ..
- Maternal obesity depresses essential fatty acid transport in the placentaPERRIE F O'TIERNEY-GINN; Fiscal Year: 2013..abstract_text> ..
- Understanding Pain of Gastrointestinal Origin in Women that Serve in OEF/OIFBeverley Greenwood-Van Meerveld; Fiscal Year: 2013..Moreover, we will examine whether rats exposed to ELS show altered behavioral responses to chronic stress in adulthood compared to age-matched controls ..
- Cell signaling as a leukemia biomarkerJAMES WILLIAM JACOBBERGER; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Neural Functioning of Feeding Centers in Obese YouthROBERT STANLEY SHERWIN; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Identification of Proteins Important for Male OsteoporosisHong Wen Deng; Fiscal Year: 2013..This project aims to identify proteins that are important to male osteoporosis. The findings will provide essential scientific basis for effective prevention, diagnosis and treatment of the disease. ..
- X chromosome, injury and infectionZoltan Spolarics; Fiscal Year: 2012..Better understanding of the protecting cellular mechanisms that are in effect during septic conditions could lead to advanced protocols in treating the critically ill. ..
- MAPPING OF ARTHRITIS SUSCEPTIBILITY GENESTibor T Glant; Fiscal Year: 2013..We propose to reduce the size of these regions in the mouse genome, which cannot be done in human population, and select candidate genes that may be involved in arthritis susceptibility and disease severity. ..
- Disease chronicity in juvenile dermatomyositis (JDM): Epigenetic cluesLauren M Pachman; Fiscal Year: 2013..The goal is to identify specific markers, like microRNA, or "turned on genes" that may be key to repair the vascular damage and to identify more effective medical interventions. ..
- Respiratory and autonomic plasticity following intermittent hypoxiaJASON HAROLD MATEIKA; Fiscal Year: 2012..Consequently, determining the mechanisms that may impact on apnea severity and exacerbate autonomic perturbations associated with this disorder is important, as is discovering novel treatments. ..
- Yale Drug Abuse, Addiction, and HIV Research Scholars (Yale-DAHRS)PATRICK O'CONNOR; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- PET Imaging of Myocardial Oxidative Stress in T2DMKOORESH ISAAC SHOGHI; Fiscal Year: 2013..abstract_text> ..
- Dietary Supplement Creatine for Adolescent Females with SSRI-Resistant DepressionPERRY FRANKLIN RENSHAW; Fiscal Year: 2013..Finally, depression in women is linked to several major medical illnesses. Thus, a novel intervention for adolescent females with MDD has the potential to broadly impact public health, beyond the boundaries of psychiatry. ..
- PS11-003 Minority AIDS Research InitiativeBRIDGETTE MERCEDEZ BRAWNER; Fiscal Year: 2013..Given that adolescent health is imperative to public health, the proposed research is timely, innovative and bears great significance. ..
- Immune Development: Role of Milk Cell Transfer and Recipient GenderAmeae M Walker; Fiscal Year: 2013..Results may also lead to the development of procedures for safely enhancing immunity in children. ..
- Epistasis in Steroidogenic Genes in the Prediction of Alzheimer's DiseaseCRAIG STEPHEN ATWOOD; Fiscal Year: 2013..Successful completion of these studies would enable the development of prognostic and diagnostic tests for AD, and provide insights into the neuroendocrine mechanisms of AD. ..
- Mechanisms Regulating Reduced c-Kit-Dependent EAE Susceptibility in Male SJL MiceMELISSA ANN BROWN; Fiscal Year: 2013..These mice provide a perfect system to explore the how c-kit signaling, in concert with influences from male sex hormones, confers neuroprotection and may lead to better therapies for this devastating CNS disease. ..
- Multivariate CART for survival with dental applicationsMartha E Nunn; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Exploring persistent epigenetic changes after prenatal famine exposure in humansL H Lumey; Fiscal Year: 2010..The required medical examination records and biological materials for this study have been previously collected and stored and pending funding will be immediately available for analysis. ..
- Metabolic impact of fructose restriction in obese childrenJean Marc Schwarz; Fiscal Year: 2013..abstract_text> ..
- Mechanisms of Airway Smooth Muscle HypertrophyMarc B Hershenson; Fiscal Year: 2013..Completion of this work will provide insight into the pathogenesis of BPD, lead to the development of more accurate biomarkers, and provide new information on the role of matricellular proteins in lung fibrosis. ..
- Nitric Oxide and gastric motility in female diabeticsPandu R Gangula; Fiscal Year: 2010..Further, it may lead to the discovery of novel therapeutic targets for the management of this challenging clinical syndrome. ..
- IMMUNOGENETICS OF COLLAGEN INDUCED ARTHRITIS IN MICEVeena Taneja; Fiscal Year: 2013..The findings would shed light on the role of MHC, immune system in health and disease and may identify new therapeutic approaches for arthritis. ..
- Genetics of Angiotensinogen-Mediated Hypertension: Stage, Background & GenderDonald E Kohan; Fiscal Year: 2010..Our goal is to advance the specificity of clinical management and treatment of EH. ..
- Imaging of Aortic Atherosclerosis and Inflammation in the Metabolic SyndromeWarren J Manning; Fiscal Year: 2012....
- Gender Bias in Lupus: Contribution of Sex ChromosomesRam Raj Singh; Fiscal Year: 2012..The results of the proposed study will not only aid our understanding of lupus, but will also potentially lead to identification of newer targets of treatment. ..
- Endothelin-1 and androgen in prostate cancer bone metastasis and bone healthGregory A Clines; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Impact of AMP-activated kinase on sex differences in hypertrophic cardiomyopathyJohn P Konhilas; Fiscal Year: 2013..Therefore, it is of major clinical significance that the mechanistic link be determined between cardiac disease, sex/gender differences and energetic regulators in the heart. ) ..
- Epigenetic Regulation Of Sex-dependent Liver CancerArlin B Rogers; Fiscal Year: 2012..These studies are the first to define epigenetic modifiers of liver sexual differentiation, and to interrogate a novel mechanism of gender-specific tumor promotion predicated on chromatin sensitivity to inflammation. ..
- VITamin D and OmegA-3 TriaL: Effects on Bone Structure and ArchitectureMERYL SUSAN LEBOFF; Fiscal Year: 2013..Findings from this proposal will fill gaps in knowledge and inform clinical and public health recommendations. ..
- Mechanisms for Cardiovascular Effects of air pollutants: Effect of Age and SexBRITT HOLMEN; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Genes and Hormonal Fetal Antecedents to Sex Differencs in the Brain in DepressionJill M Goldstein; Fiscal Year: 2011..An understanding of the fetal mechanisms associated with sex differences in MOD will have etiologic imolications and imoortance for the development of sex-specific treatments and prevention of MOD. ..
- White matter changes in HIV modelsPamela E Knapp; Fiscal Year: 2011..Culture studies with viral protein and HIV test whether oligodendrocytes are directly affected. ..
- GENDER DIFFERENCES IN STIMULANT ACTIONCynthia M Kuhn; Fiscal Year: 2012....
- Humoral factors in gender differences in blood pressure controlJane F Reckelhoff; Fiscal Year: 2013..Results from these studies will provide new information that can be used to design new therapeutic options to treat HT in women with hyperandrogenemia, such as in PCOS. ..
- Endothelial Progenitor Cells in Brain Arteriovenous MalformationsYongmei Chen; Fiscal Year: 2010..Identification of EPCs as an operant process in brain AVMs can suggest lines of investigation to develop new treatment modalities. ..
- Mediators &prognostic value of muscle mass &function in chronic kidney diseaseFrancis Perry Wilson; Fiscal Year: 2013..Controls will be matched based upon age, race, gender eGFR, and baseline muscle mass but be selected from the lowest quintile. The primary analysis will use mixed-effects models clustered at the matched-pair level. ..
- Feto-maternal DNA/RNA Trafficking: Biology and ApplicationDiana W Bianchi; Fiscal Year: 2013..Genomic analysis in the proposed aims will lead to novel insights regarding fetal biological processes, which will result in entirely new approaches to fetal therapy. ..
- Role of Estrogen Receptors in Lupus-Modulators of the Inflammatory ResponseGary S Gilkeson; Fiscal Year: 2013..abstract_text> ..
- Detection of Prostate Cancer Genomic Signatures in BloodAmin I Kassis; Fiscal Year: 2010..In this Challenge grant application, we describe methods for the identification of tumor-specific signatures within the WBCs of men known to have prostate cancer. ..
- Shared Mechanisms of Valvular and Vascular CalcificationJOEL DAVID MORRISETT; Fiscal Year: 2012....
- Molecular Analysis of GnRH ActionMark S Roberson; Fiscal Year: 2012..Moreover, these studies will define the in vivo impact of genetic loss of key GnRH-regulated signaling molecules on fertility. ..
- Ethnic/Racial Variation in Intracerebral Hemorrhage (ERICH)Daniel Woo; Fiscal Year: 2013..Yet we know little about the biologic differences that lead to this ethnic disparity. Our proposal will compare minorities with ICH to controls from the same population as well as explore genetic, radiographic and outcomes differences. ..
- Adipocyte Renin-Angiotensin System and Programming of HypertensionMina Desai; Fiscal Year: 2010..Our proposed studies will therefore determine the role of adipose renin-angiotensin system in development of adult hypertension and obesity in growth restricted newborns. ..
- Sex Differences in Complement during Myocarditis/DCMDelisa Fairweather; Fiscal Year: 2013..This research will provide further insight into the function of complement pathways that applies to other cardiovascular and autoimmune diseases that are influenced by sex/gender. ..
- The Role of Cyp2b in Toxicant Metabolism and SensitivityWilliam S Baldwin; Fiscal Year: 2012....
- Gender Selectivity to Colon Cancer Chemoprevention by NSAIDSRAMESH K contact WALI; Fiscal Year: 2010..These findings will have an important bearing on the healthcare recommendations for colon cancer chemoprevention which have to be cognizant of this gender selective efficacy for maximum cost-benefit potential of NSAIDS. ..
- Human Papillomavirus Association with Subsets of Colorectal CancerPolly A Newcomb; Fiscal Year: 2010..With the recent licensure of an effective vaccine against HPV, it is important to characterize the total burden of disease associated with this virus. ..
- Establishing the Precursors of Osteoporosis in ChildrenXiping Xu; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- IMMUNOLOGICAL ASPECTS OF HEMORRHAGEIrshad H Chaudry; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Gender-Differences in Cardiac Repolarization/ArrhythmiasGuy Salama; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Anxiety Sensitivity, Menstrual Cycle Phase, and Panic-Relevant RespondingYael Nillni; Fiscal Year: 2011..e., premenstrual cycle phase) that may interact to elicit anxious responding. Results will have implications for prevention, assessment, treatment, and future research using laboratory paradigms to study panic vulnerability in women. ..
- Sex Hormones and Rat Anterior Cruciate Ligament StrengthWilliam A Romani; Fiscal Year: 2010..These studies are important and they will help direct future studies to identify women at risk for ACL injury and develop novel strategies to prevent their occurrence. ..
- STEROID REGULATION OF ION CHANNELSLeslie Henderson; Fiscal Year: 1999....
- GENDER, HORMONES & ANTERIOR CRUCIATE LIGAMENT COMPLIANCEDavid Perrin; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- Gender Factors Influencing Susceptability to InfluenzaSabra L Klein; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Gender Differences in Caloric Restriction CardioprotectionLin Yan; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Measurement of Gender Differences in Disability and CareKathryn Yount; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- Ethnicity, Gender & Social Support in Knee OsteoarthritisHUAN CHANG; Fiscal Year: 2007..Characterization of these differences will also shed important new light on patient decision making, enabling health care providers to help patients improve function and quality of life. ..
- Auditory enhancement in female speechAndrew Lotto; Fiscal Year: 2001..abstract_text> ..
- Identification of a gender-specific rat arthritis locusPercio Gulko; Fiscal Year: 2005..This aim will also provide additional insight into the Cia12 gene function. On Aim 4 the specific gene will be identified based on candidate gene analysis or positional cloning, and disease-causing allelic variations characterized. ..
- GENDER & OPIOID EFFECTS, INCLUDING ANALGESIAJames Zacny; Fiscal Year: 2000..of drug effect, or both? and f) If there is a gender effect, is it specific to the behavioral endpoint of analgesia or is it a generalized phenomenon that cuts across other variables such as mood and psychomotor/cognitive performance? ..