- The transtheoretical model of health behavior change
J O Prochaska
Cancer Prevention Research Center, University of Rhode Island, Kingston 02881 0808, USA
Am J Health Promot 12:38-48. 1997
..If results with stage-matched interventions continue to be replicated, health promotion programs will be able to produce unprecedented impacts on entire at-risk populations...
- The collective dynamics of smoking in a large social network
Nicholas A Christakis
Department of Health Care Policy, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
N Engl J Med 358:2249-58. 2008
..We examined the extent of the person-to-person spread of smoking behavior and the extent to which groups of widely connected people quit together...
- Mortality in relation to smoking: 50 years' observations on male British doctors
Clinical Trial Service Unit and Epidemiological Studies Unit CTSU, Radcliffe Infirmary, Oxford OX2 6HE
BMJ 328:1519. 2004
..To compare the hazards of cigarette smoking in men who formed their habits at different periods, and the extent of the reduction in risk when cigarette smoking is stopped at different ages...
- Mass media campaigns to promote smoking cessation among adults: an integrative review
Centre for Behavioural Research in Cancer, Cancer Council Victoria, Carlton, Victoria, Australia
Tob Control 21:127-38. 2012
..This review summarises the impact of mass media campaigns on promoting quitting among adult smokers overall and for subgroups; the influence of campaign intensity and different channels; the effects of different message types...
- Health warning messages on tobacco products: a review
Department of Health Studies and Gerontology, University of Waterloo, 200 University Avenue West, Waterloo, Ontario, N2L 3G1, Canada
Tob Control 20:327-37. 2011
..To review evidence on the impact of health warning messages on tobacco packages...
- Smoking cessation support delivered via mobile phone text messaging (txt2stop): a single-blind, randomised trial
Clinical Trials Research Unit, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, UK
Lancet 378:49-55. 2011
b>Smoking cessation programmes delivered via mobile phone text messaging show increases in self-reported quitting in the short term...
- Electronic cigarettes for smoking cessation: a randomised controlled trial
National Institute for Health Innovation, School of Population Health, The University of Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand Electronic address
Lancet 382:1629-37. 2013
..We investigated whether e-cigarettes are more effective than nicotine patches at helping smokers to quit...
- Smoking and mental illness: A population-based prevalence study
Department of Medicine, Cambridge Hospital, Macht Bldg, 1493 Cambridge St, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA
JAMA 284:2606-10. 2000
..However, recent population-based, nationally representative data are lacking...
- Mobile phone-based interventions for smoking cessation
National Institute forHealth Innovation, University of Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
Cochrane Database Syst Rev 11:CD006611. 2012
Innovative and effective smoking cessation interventions are required to appeal to those who are not accessing traditional cessation services...
- Outcome criteria in smoking cessation trials: proposal for a common standard
University College, London, UK
Addiction 100:299-303. 2005
b>Smoking cessation treatment is now integrated into many health-care systems and a major research effort is under way to improve current success rates...
- Effect of an electronic nicotine delivery device (e-Cigarette) on smoking reduction and cessation: a prospective 6-month pilot study
Centro per la Prevenzione e Cura del Tabagismo CPCT, Azienda Ospedaliero Universitaria Policlinico Vittorio Emanuele, Universita di Catania, Catania, Italy
BMC Public Health 11:786. 2011
Cigarette smoking is a tough addiction to break. Therefore, improved approaches to smoking cessation are necessary...
- Effect of an electronic nicotine delivery device (e cigarette) on desire to smoke and withdrawal, user preferences and nicotine delivery: randomised cross-over trial
Clinical Trials Research Unit, The University of Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
Tob Control 19:98-103. 2010
..To measure the short-term effects of an electronic nicotine delivery device ("e cigarette", ENDD) on desire to smoke, withdrawal symptoms, acceptability, pharmacokinetic properties and adverse effects...
- Standards for the diagnosis and treatment of patients with COPD: a summary of the ATS/ERS position paper
B R Celli
Pulmonary and Critical Care Division, St Elizabeth s Medical Center, Tufts University School of Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts 02135, USA
Eur Respir J 23:932-46. 2004
- Measures of abstinence in clinical trials: issues and recommendations
John R Hughes
Department of Psychiatry, Psychology and Family Practice University of Vermont, Burlington 05401 1419, USA
Nicotine Tob Res 5:13-25. 2003
..for Research on Nicotine and Tobacco reviewed the literature on abstinence measures used in trials of smoking cessation interventions. We recommend that trials report multiple measures of abstinence...
- The role of engagement in a tailored web-based smoking cessation program: randomized controlled trial
Victor J Strecher
Center for Health Communications Research, University of Michigan School of Public Health, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 0471, USA
J Med Internet Res 10:e36. 2008
..First, does engagement with program content predict long-term outcomes? Second, which users are most likely to drop out or disengage from the program? Third, do particular intervention strategies enhance engagement?..
- Online support for smoking cessation: a systematic review of the literature
Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, University College London, London WC1E 6BT, UK
Addiction 104:1792-804. 2009
To examine the efficacy and acceptability of online, interactive interventions for smoking cessation and to identify treatment effect moderators and mediators.
- Electronic cigarettes: a survey of users
Jean Francois Etter
Institute of Social and Preventive Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Geneva, Switzerland
BMC Public Health 10:231. 2010
..Little is known about users of electronic cigarettes, or their opinions, satisfaction or how and why they use such products...
- Effects of Web- and computer-based smoking cessation programs: meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials
Seung Kwon Myung
Smoking Cessation Clinic, Center for Cancer Prevention and Detection, Division of Cancer Prevention, National Cancer Control Research Institute, National Cancer Center, Goyang, South Korea
Arch Intern Med 169:929-37. 2009
The effects of Web- and computer-based smoking cessation programs are inconsistent in randomized controlled trials (RCTs). We evaluated those effects using a meta-analysis.
- Tracking the rise in popularity of electronic nicotine delivery systems (electronic cigarettes) using search query surveillance
John W Ayers
Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, Maryland 21205, USA
Am J Prev Med 40:448-53. 2011
..Public interest in electronic nicotine delivery systems (ENDS) is undocumented...
- Web-based smoking-cessation programs: results of a randomized trial
Victor J Strecher
Center for Health Communications Research, University of Michigan School of Public Health, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 0471, USA
Am J Prev Med 34:373-81. 2008
..This study aimed to (1) identify active psychosocial and communication components of a web-based smoking-cessation intervention and (2) examine the impact of increasing the tailoring depth on smoking cessation.
- 'The smoking toolkit study': a national study of smoking and smoking cessation in England
Jennifer A Fidler
Cancer Research UK Health Behaviour Research Centre, Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, University College London, London, UK
BMC Public Health 11:479. 2011
..The Smoking Toolkit Study (STS) was designed for this role. This paper describes the methodology of the STS and examines as far as possible the representativeness of the samples...
- Effectiveness of a Web-based multiple tailored smoking cessation program: a randomized controlled trial among Dutch adult smokers
Eline Suzanne Smit
Department of Health Promotion, Maastricht University, Maastricht, The Netherlands
J Med Internet Res 14:e82. 2012
Distributing a multiple computer-tailored smoking cessation intervention through the Internet has several advantages for both provider and receiver...
- Social network structure of a large online community for smoking cessation
Nathan K Cobb
Schroeder Institute for Tobacco Research and Policy Studies, Washington, DC 20036, USA
Am J Public Health 100:1282-9. 2010
..We evaluated the social network structure of QuitNet, one of the largest online communities for behavior change, and compared its characteristics to other known social networks...
- Shape of the relapse curve and long-term abstinence among untreated smokers
John R Hughes
University of Vermont, Department of Psychiatry, Burlington, VT 05401 1419, USA
Addiction 99:29-38. 2004
..To describe the relapse curve and rate of long-term prolonged abstinence among smokers who try to quit without treatment...
- iPhone apps for smoking cessation: a content analysis
Lorien C Abroms
Department of Prevention and Community Health, George Washington University School of Public Health and Health Services, 2175 K Street NW, Washington, DC 20037, USA
Am J Prev Med 40:279-85. 2011
With the proliferation of smartphones such as the iPhone, mobile phones are being used in novel ways to promote smoking cessation.
- Efficacy of a single computer-tailored e-mail for smoking cessation: results after 6 months
Fam te Poel
Care School for Public Health and Primary Care CAPHRI, Maastricht University, Maastricht, The Netherlands
Health Educ Res 24:930-40. 2009
To date, few Internet-delivered smoking cessation interventions have been tested...
- Smoking cessation during pregnancy: a systematic literature review
Mannheim Institute of Public Health, Social and Preventive Medicine, Mannheim Medical Faculty, Heidelberg University, Ludolf Krehl Street 7 11, Mannheim, Germany
Drug Alcohol Rev 29:81-90. 2010
..The aim of this review is therefore to identify this risk group compared with spontaneous quitters of smoking...
- Developing COPD: a 25 year follow up study of the general population
Department of Cardiology and Respiratory Medicine, 253 Hvidovre Hospital, Kettegard Alle 30, DK 2650 Hvidovre, Denmark
Thorax 61:935-9. 2006
..The aim of this study was to determine the 25 year absolute risk of developing COPD in men and women from the general population...
- How generalisable to community samples are clinical trial results for treatment of nicotine dependence: a comparison of common eligibility criteria with respondents of a large representative general population survey
Yann Le Strat
Translational Addiction Research Laboratory, Centre for Addiction and Mental Health, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Tob Control 20:338-43. 2011
..To examine the generalisability of findings from clinical trials of individuals with nicotine dependence to a large general population sample...
- The effectiveness of tailored feedback and action plans in an intervention addressing multiple health behaviors
H de Vries
Maastricht University, Department of Health Education and Promotion, P O Box 616, 6200 MD Maastricht, The Netherlands
Am J Health Promot 22:417-25. 2008
..Examine the effects of three iterative tailored feedback letters addressing smoking; physical activity; and fruit, vegetable, and fat intake, and test the additional effects of providing feedback on action plans...
- A systematic review of randomized controlled trials: Web-based interventions for smoking cessation among adolescents, college students, and adults
Heidi E Hutton
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, 600 N Wolfe St, Baltimore, MD 21287, USA
Nicotine Tob Res 13:227-38. 2011
Web-based treatments can deliver broad reaching, relatively inexpensive, and clinically tested methods for smoking cessation. We performed a systematic review of randomized controlled trials (RCTs) of smoking cessation to evaluate the ..
- Engagement promotes abstinence in a web-based cessation intervention: cohort study
Department of Research and Evaluation, Legacy, Washington, DC 20036, United States
J Med Internet Res 15:e14. 2013
Web-based smoking cessation interventions can have a public health impact because they are both effective in promoting cessation and can reach large numbers of smokers in a cost-efficient manner...
- Online social networks and smoking cessation: a scientific research agenda
Nathan K Cobb
Schroeder Institute for Tobacco Research and Policy Studies, American Legacy Foundation, Washington, DC 20036, USA
J Med Internet Res 13:e119. 2011
..The concurrent evolution of the Internet, social network science, and online communities offers a potential target for high-yield interventions capable of shifting population-level smoking rates and substantially improving public health...
- What are the elements of the tobacco endgame?
University of Otago, Wellington, New Zealand
Tob Control 21:293-5. 2012
..Even with some or all these circumstances, opposition from business, internal government forces and international factors may influence results...
- Nicotine dependence and psychiatric disorders in the United States: results from the national epidemiologic survey on alcohol and related conditions
Bridget F Grant
Laboratory of Epidemiology and Biometry, Division of Intramural Clinical and Biological Research, National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD, USA
Arch Gen Psychiatry 61:1107-15. 2004
..No information is available on the co-occurrence of DSM-IV nicotine dependence and Axis I and II psychiatric disorders in the US population...
- A randomized, controlled trial of financial incentives for smoking cessation
Kevin G Volpp
Center for Health Equity Research and Promotion, Philadelphia Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Philadelphia, USA
N Engl J Med 360:699-709. 2009
..Previous studies of financial incentives for smoking cessation in work settings have not shown that such incentives have significant effects on cessation rates, but these ..
- Reliability of self reported smoking status by pregnant women for estimating smoking prevalence: a retrospective, cross sectional study
MRC Social and Public Health Sciences Unit, Glasgow G12 8RZ
BMJ 339:b4347. 2009
To determine what impact reliance on self reported smoking status during pregnancy has on both the accuracy of smoking prevalence figures and access to smoking cessation services for pregnant women in Scotland.
- The natural history of chronic airflow obstruction revisited: an analysis of the Framingham offspring cohort
Epidemiology and Clinical Research, Fundación Caubet CIMERA Illes Balears, Recinte Hospital Joan March, 07110 Bunyola, Illes Balears, Spain
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 180:3-10. 2009
..Understanding normal lung development and aging in health and disease, both in men and in women, is essential to interpreting any therapeutic intervention...
- Increased airway epithelial and T-cell apoptosis in COPD remains despite smoking cessation
Dept of Thoracic Medicine, Royal Adelaide Hospital and Hanson Institute, Adelaide, South Australia 5001, Australia
Eur Respir J 25:447-54. 2005
..may contribute to chronic obstructive pulmonary disease pathogenesis, and continued excess apoptosis after smoking cessation may offer a new target for therapeutic interventions...
- Ending appreciable tobacco use in a nation: using a sinking lid on supply
University of Otago, Wellington, Box 7343, Wellington, New Zealand
Tob Control 19:431-5. 2010
..These complementary interventions include: providing comprehensive best practice smoking cessation support, better information to smokers and the public, strengthened regulation of tobacco retailing and ..
- Challenges of internet recruitment: a case study with disappointing results
Department of Public Health Sciences, Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, Canada
J Med Internet Res 7:e6. 2005
..This paper summarizes our experiences from 2 studies in which we attempted to recruit teenagers on the Internet for a questionnaire study to evaluate a smoking-cessation website...
- The epidemiology of smoking during pregnancy: smoking prevalence, maternal characteristics, and pregnancy outcomes
Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Nicotine Tob Res 6:S125-40. 2004
..Smoking during pregnancy will continue to be an important risk factor for maternal and fetal outcomes during pregnancy...
- Lifecourse influences on women's smoking before, during and after pregnancy
University of York, Department of Health Sciences, Area 2, Seebohm Rowntree Building Dept, York YO10 5DD, United Kingdom
Soc Sci Med 70:582-7. 2010
..Interventions which help smokers having their first baby to quit have an important part to play in promoting maternal and child health...
- Interventions to increase smoking cessation at the population level: how much progress has been made in the last two decades?
Shu Hong Zhu
University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093 0905, USA
Tob Control 21:110-8. 2012
This paper reviews the literature on smoking cessation interventions, with a focus on the last 20 years (1991 to 2010)...
- The multiple facets of cigarette addiction and what they mean for encouraging and helping smokers to stop
Health Behaviour Research Centre, Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, University College London, London, England, UK
COPD 6:277-83. 2009
..Combating cigarette addiction requires attention to all of these factors...
- Nicotine receptor partial agonists for smoking cessation
Department of Primary Care Health Sciences, University of Oxford, Oxford, UK
Cochrane Database Syst Rev 4:CD006103. 2012
- A review of tobacco smoking and smoking cessation practices among physicians in China: 1987-2010
Abu S Abdullah
Department of Health Policy and Management, School of Public Health, Guangxi Medical University, Guangxi, China
Tob Control 22:9-14. 2013
Tobacco use by physicians represents a significant barrier in promoting smoking cessation through physician interventions...
- Do u smoke after txt? Results of a randomised trial of smoking cessation using mobile phone text messaging
School of Population Health, The University of Auckland, Private Bag 92019, Auckland, New Zealand
Tob Control 14:255-61. 2005
To determine the effectiveness of a mobile phone text messaging smoking cessation programme.
- Nicotine replacement therapy for smoking cessation
Lindsay F Stead
Department of Primary Care Health Sciences, University of Oxford, Oxford, UK
Cochrane Database Syst Rev 11:CD000146. 2012
- A systematic review and meta-analysis of the effectiveness of behavioural smoking cessation interventions in selected disadvantaged groups
Centre for Health Research and Psycho Oncology CHeRP, The Cancer Council NSW, University of Newcastle and Hunter Medical Research Institute, Callaghan, NSW, Australia
Addiction 106:1568-85. 2011
..review and meta-analysis was conducted to assess the methodological quality and effectiveness of behavioural smoking cessation interventions targeted at six disadvantaged groups; the homeless, prisoners, indigenous populations, at-risk ..
- A randomised control study of a fully automated internet based smoking cessation programme
L H G Swartz
Oregon Center for Applied Science, Eugene, OR 97403, USA
Tob Control 15:7-12. 2006
The objective of this project was to test the short term (90 days) efficacy of an automated behavioural intervention for smoking cessation, the "1-2-3 Smokefree" programme, delivered via an internet website.
- A theory-based video messaging mobile phone intervention for smoking cessation: randomized controlled trial
Clinical Trials Research Unit, University of Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
J Med Internet Res 13:e10. 2011
Advances in technology allowed the development of a novel smoking cessation program delivered by video messages sent to mobile phones...
- Comparing internet assistance for smoking cessation: 13-month follow-up of a six-arm randomized controlled trial
National Cancer Information Center, American Cancer Society, Austin, Texas 78727, USA
J Med Internet Res 10:e45. 2008
..Although many smokers seek Internet-based cessation assistance, few studies have experimentally evaluated long-term cessation rates among cigarette smokers who receive Internet assistance in quitting...
- Online advertising as a public health and recruitment tool: comparison of different media campaigns to increase demand for smoking cessation interventions
Amanda L Graham
The Schroeder Institute for Tobacco Research and Policy Studies, American Legacy Foundation, NW, Washington, DC 20036, USA
J Med Internet Res 10:e50. 2008
..Given that 12 million people search for smoking cessation information each year, online advertising may represent a cost-efficient approach to reach and recruit ..
- Efficacy and safety of varenicline for smoking cessation in patients with cardiovascular disease: a randomized trial
Nancy A Rigotti
General Medicine Division, Department of Medicine, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Tobacco Research and Treatment Center, Boston, Mass 02114, USA
Circulation 121:221-9. 2010
b>Smoking cessation is a key component of secondary cardiovascular disease prevention...
- Varenicline for smoking cessation: a placebo-controlled, randomized study
Department of Epidemiology, Beijing Institute of Respiratory Medicine, WHO Collaborating Center for Tobacco or Health, Beijing Chao Yang Hospital Affiliated, Capital Medical University, Beijing, China
Respirology 14:384-92. 2009
..a novel, selective, nicotinic acetylcholine receptor partial agonist, has been developed specifically as a smoking cessation drug...
- Mentholated cigarettes and smoking cessation: findings from COMMIT. Community Intervention Trial for Smoking Cessation
Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Department of Cancer Prevention, Epidemiology, and Biostatistics, Buffalo, New York 14263, USA
Tob Control 11:135-9. 2002
To examine the association between the use of menthol cigarettes and smoking cessation, amount smoked, and time to first cigarette in the morning.
- Explaining the social gradient in smoking cessation: it's not in the trying, but in the succeeding
Department of General Practice, School for Public Health and Primary Care CAPHRI, Maastricht University Medical Centre, Maastricht, TheNetherlands
Tob Control 18:43-6. 2009
..This study examined how far this is attributable in England to a social gradient in quit attempts, use of aids to cessation and/or the success of quit attempts...
- Determinants and consequences of smoke-free homes: findings from the International Tobacco Control (ITC) Four Country Survey
Cancer Control Research Institute, The Cancer Council Victoria, 1 Rathdowne Street, Carlton, VIC 3053, Australia
Tob Control 15:iii42-50. 2006
To report on prevalence, trends and determinants of smoke-free home policies in smokers' homes in different countries and to estimate the effects of these policies on smoking cessation.
- Happy ending: a randomized controlled trial of a digital multi-media smoking cessation intervention
Department of Psychology, University of Oslo, Norway
Addiction 103:478-84; discussion 485-6. 2008
To assess the long-term efficacy of a fully automated digital multi-media smoking cessation intervention.
- Effects of voucher-based incentives on abstinence from cigarette smoking and fetal growth among pregnant women
Sarah H Heil
Departments of Psychiatry, University of Vermont, Burlington, VT 05401, USA
Addiction 103:1009-18. 2008
..This study examined whether voucher-based reinforcement therapy (VBRT) contingent upon smoking abstinence during pregnancy is an effective method for decreasing maternal smoking during pregnancy and improving fetal growth...
- Epidemiology of smoking-induced cardiovascular disease
David M Burns
University of California San Diego School of Medicine, San Diego, CA 92108, USA
Prog Cardiovasc Dis 46:11-29. 2003
..Cessation of cigarette smoking reduces disease risks, although risks may remain elevated for a decade or more after cessation...
- Effectiveness of smoking cessation interventions among adults: a systematic review of reviews
Department of Public Health, Erasmus MC, University Medical Center, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Eur J Cancer Prev 17:535-44. 2008
The objective of this study was to identify the most effective intervention strategies and policies for smoking cessation among adults. The Medline and Cochrane Library databases were searched, limited to publications since January 2000...
- Measuring adaptations of motivational interviewing: the development and validation of the behavior change counseling index (BECCI)
Communication Skills Unit, Department of General Practice, University of Wales College of Medicine, Llanedeyrn Health Center, Cardiff CF23 9PN, UK
Patient Educ Couns 56:166-73. 2005
..BECCI will also provide valuable information about the standard of BCC that practitioners were trained to deliver in studies of BCC as an intervention...
- Socioeconomic status over the life course and stages of cigarette use: initiation, regular use, and cessation
S E Gilman
Centers for Behavioral and Preventive Medicine, Brown Medical School and The Miriam Hospital, CORO Building Suite 500, 1 Hoppin Street, Providence, RI 02903, USA
J Epidemiol Community Health 57:802-8. 2003
..To investigate the association between multiple indicators of socioeconomic status (SES) over the life course and three stages of cigarette use: initiation, regular use, and cessation...
- The efficacy and safety of varenicline for smoking cessation using a flexible dosing strategy in adult smokers: a randomized controlled trial
Brown University, Providence, RI, USA
Curr Med Res Opin 24:1931-41. 2008
To determine whether self-regulated flexible dosing with varenicline tartrate is safe and effective for smoking cessation.
- Initial evaluation of a real-world Internet smoking cessation system
Nathan K Cobb
Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center Harvard University School of Medicine, Boston, MA, USA
Nicotine Tob Res 7:207-16. 2005
..the results, challenges, and limitations of a preliminary, large-scale evaluation of a broadly disseminated smoking cessation Web site used worldwide (QuitNet)...
- Smoking and smoking cessation -- the relationship between cardiovascular disease and lipoprotein metabolism: a review
Sara Chelland Campbell
Department of Nutrition, Food and Exercise Sciences, Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL 32306 1493, USA
Atherosclerosis 201:225-35. 2008
..lipoproteins, and lipid-related enzymes; (2) the impact of nicotine, carbon monoxide and free radicals on physiologic parameters related to health; and (3) metabolic issues involving smoking cessation and nicotine replacement therapy.
- National survey of U.S. health professionals' smoking prevalence, cessation practices, and beliefs
Elisa K Tong
Division of General Internal Medicine, University of California, Davis Medical Center, 4150 V Street, Suite 2400, Sacramento, CA 95817, USA
Nicotine Tob Res 12:724-33. 2010
..Other health professionals also frequently encounter smokers, but their smoking prevalence, cessation practices, and beliefs are less well known...
- Smoking cessation and lung function in mild-to-moderate chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. The Lung Health Study
P D Scanlon
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Mayo Foundation, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 161:381-90. 2000
Previous studies of lung function in relation to smoking cessation have not adequately quantified the long-term benefit of smoking cessation, nor established the predictive value of characteristics such as airway hyperresponsiveness...
- Efficacy and use of an internet-delivered computer-tailored lifestyle intervention, targeting saturated fat intake, physical activity and smoking cessation: a randomized controlled trial
Department of Public Health, Erasmus MC, University Medical Center, PO Box 2040, 3000 CA Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Ann Behav Med 35:125-35. 2008
- Influence of smoking cessation after diagnosis of early stage lung cancer on prognosis: systematic review of observational studies with meta-analysis
UK Centre for Tobacco Control Studies, Primary Care Clinical Sciences, University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham B15 2TT
BMJ 340:b5569. 2010
To systematically review the evidence that smoking cessation after diagnosis of a primary lung tumour affects prognosis.
- Understanding the potential of teachable moments: the case of smoking cessation
C M McBride
Cancer Prevention, Detection and Control Research Program, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Health Educ Res 18:156-70. 2003
..This manuscript summarizes the evidence of TMs for smoking cessation, and makes recommendations for conceptual and methodological refinements to improve the next generation of ..
- Effect of the Italian smoking ban on population rates of acute coronary events
Department of Epidemiology, Local Health Unit ASL RME, Via Santa Costanza 53, 00198 Rome, Italy
Circulation 117:1183-8. 2008
..We evaluated changes in the frequency of acute coronary events in Rome, Italy, after the introduction of legislation that banned smoking in all indoor public places in January 2005...
- Smoking cessation and weight gain
Unidad de Tabaquismo, Area de Prevención y Rehabilitación Cardiaca, Instituto Cardiovascular, Hospital Clinico San Carlos, Universidad Complutense, Madrid, Spain
Obes Rev 5:95-103. 2004
Cigarette smoking is the single most important preventable cause of death and illness. Smoking cessation is associated with substantial health benefits. Weight gain is cited as a primary reason for not trying to quit smoking...
- International Spanish/English Internet smoking cessation trial yields 20% abstinence rates at 1 year
RICARDO F MUNOZ
Department of Psychiatry at San Francisco General Hospital, Latino Mental Health Research Program, and Internet World Health Research Center, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94110, USA
Nicotine Tob Res 11:1025-34. 2009
There are 1.1 billion smokers worldwide. Traditional smoking cessation methods, such as nicotine replacement therapy and smoking cessation groups, yield between 14% and 27% abstinence rates at 6 months...
- Efficacy of cell phone-delivered smoking cessation counseling for persons living with HIV/AIDS: 3-month outcomes
Damon J Vidrine
Department of Behavioral Science Unit 1330, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, P O Box 301439, Houston, TX 77230 1439, USA
Nicotine Tob Res 14:106-10. 2012
..However, few efforts to assess smoking cessation interventions targeting this population have been reported...
- Reduced nicotine content cigarettes: effects on toxicant exposure, dependence and cessation
Dorothy K Hatsukami
University of Minnesota Transdisciplinary Tobacco Use Research Center, Minneapolis, MN 55414, USA
Addiction 105:343-55. 2010
..To examine the effects of reduced nicotine cigarettes on smoking behavior, toxicant exposure, dependence and abstinence...
- What makes for an effective stop-smoking service?
Leonie S Brose
NHS Centre for Smoking Cessation and Training NCSCT, University College London, 1 19 Torrington Place, London WC1E 7HB, UK
Thorax 66:924-6. 2011
..However, success varies considerably across services, making it important to examine the factors that influence their effectiveness...
- Smoking and age-related macular degeneration: a review of association
Evidence for Population Health Unit, Division of Epidemiology and Health Sciences, University of Manchester, Manchester, UK
Eye (Lond) 19:935-44. 2005
..As there is no effective treatment for all types of AMD, identifying modifiable risk factors is of great importance. This review evaluates the epidemiological evidence associating smoking with AMD...
- Social inequalities in quitting smoking: what factors mediate the relationship between socioeconomic position and smoking cessation?
UK Centre for Tobacco Control Studies, Department of Social and Policy Sciences, University of Bath, Bath, UK
J Public Health (Oxf) 33:39-47. 2011
Smokers from lower socio-economic groups are less likely to be successful in a quit attempt than more affluent smokers, even when they access smoking cessation services.
- Do cigarette prices motivate smokers to quit? New evidence from the ITC survey
International Tobacco Control Research Program, American Cancer Society, Atlanta, GA 30303 1002, USA
Addiction 106:609-19. 2011
To examine the importance of cigarette prices in influencing smoking cessation and the motivation to quit.
- Prevalence of heavy smoking in California and the United States, 1965-2007
John P Pierce
Cancer Prevention and Control Program, Moores UCSD Cancer Center, University of California San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093 0901, USA
JAMA 305:1106-12. 2011
..The intensity of smoking, not just prevalence, is associated with future health consequences...
- The case for a smoker's license
University of Sydney, Sydney, Australia
PLoS Med 9:e1001342. 2012
- Tobacco control policy in developed countries: yesterday, today, and tomorrow
Kenneth E Warner
Department of Health Management and Policy, School of Public Health, University of Michigan, 1415 Washington Heights, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 2029, USA
Nicotine Tob Res 12:876-87. 2010
..We ask, therefore, what developed nations can expect of these policies in the future and what novel policy measures may be needed to continue the assault on tobacco...
- Efficacy of motivational interviewing for smoking cessation: a systematic review and meta-analysis
Carolyn J Heckman
Fox Chase Cancer Center, 510 Township Line Road, First Floor, Philadelphia, PA 19012, USA
Tob Control 19:410-6. 2010
A systematic review and meta-analysis to investigate the efficacy of interventions incorporating motivational interviewing for smoking cessation and identify correlates of treatment effects.
- Effects of cigarette smoke on the lung and systemic immunity
Department of Internal Medicine, Pneumology and Allergology, Warsaw Medical University, Warsaw, Poland
J Physiol Pharmacol 59:19-34. 2008
..The role of regulatory T (Treg) cells in this process is recently postulated. Smoking cessation is the most effective method of prophylaxis and treatment of diseases related to tobacco smoking...
- The development of computer-generated tailored interventions
Department of Clinical and Health Psychology, Leiden University, P O Box 9555, 2300 RB, Leiden, Netherlands
Patient Educ Couns 36:193-203. 1999
..This methodology may result in largely different tailored interventions depending on the theoretical framework used, the adaptation of the messages and the inclusion of feedback...
- Smoking cessation interventions for hospitalized smokers: a systematic review
Nancy A Rigotti
Tobacco Research and Treatment Center, Massachusetts General Hospital, 50 Staniford St, Room 914, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Arch Intern Med 168:1950-60. 2008
A hospital admission provides an opportunity to help people stop smoking. Providing smoking cessation advice, counseling, or medication is now a quality-of-care measure for US hospitals...
- Initial efficacy of MI, TTM tailoring and HRI's with multiple behaviors for employee health promotion
James O Prochaska
Cancer Prevention Research Center, 2 Chafee Road, University of Rhode Island, Kingston, RI 02881, USA
Prev Med 46:226-31. 2008
- Impact of the graphic Canadian warning labels on adult smoking behaviour
Department of Psychology, University of Waterloo, Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
Tob Control 12:391-5. 2003
..To assess the impact of graphic Canadian cigarette warning labels on current adult smokers...
- A longitudinal assessment of the impact of smoke-free worksite policies on tobacco use
Joseph E Bauer
Department of Health Behavior, Division of Cancer Prevention and Population Sciences, Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Elm and Carlton Streets, Buffalo, NY 14263, USA
Am J Public Health 95:1024-9. 2005
In this cohort study, we assessed the impact of smoke-free work-site policies on smoking cessation behaviors.
- Methods of the International Tobacco Control (ITC) Four Country Survey
M E Thompson
Department of Statistics and Actuarial Science, University of Waterloo, Waterloo, Ontario, N2L 3G1, Canada
Tob Control 15:iii12-8. 2006
..of rigorous research methods enables this survey to be a rich data resource, not only to evaluate policies, but also to gain new insights into the natural history of smoking cessation, through longitudinal analyses of smoker behaviour.
- A multimedia mobile phone-based youth smoking cessation intervention: findings from content development and piloting studies
University of Auckland, Leader Health Technology Research, Clinical Trials Research Unit, Private Bag, Auckland, New Zealand
J Med Internet Res 10:e49. 2008
..Following the success of our text messaging smoking cessation program, we developed an innovative multimedia mobile phone smoking cessation intervention.
- Cigarette smoking and infection
Clinical Pharmacology Unit, Kaplan Medical Center, Rehovot, Israel
Arch Intern Med 164:2206-16. 2004
..We reviewed mechanisms by which smoking increases the risk of infection and the epidemiology of smoking-related infection, and delineated implications of this increased risk of infection among cigarette smokers...
- Does menthol attenuate the effect of bupropion among African American smokers?
Kolawole S Okuyemi
Department of Family Medicine, Kansas Cancer Institute and Internal Medicine, University of Kansas School of Medicine, Kansas City, KS, USA
Addiction 98:1387-93. 2003
..This study examined differences between African American menthol and non-menthol smokers in smoking characteristics and cessation...
- Impact of smoking cessation on global gene expression in the bronchial epithelium of chronic smokers
Department of Bioinformatics The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Cancer Prev Res (Phila) 1:112-8. 2008
- Long-term effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of smoking cessation interventions in patients with COPD
Institute for Medical Technology Assessment, Erasmus University, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Thorax 65:711-8. 2010
The aim of this study was to estimate the long-term (cost-) effectiveness of smoking cessation interventions for patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD).
- The hazards and benefits associated with smoking and smoking cessation in Asia: a meta-analysis of prospective studies
Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, Kanazawa Medical University, 1 1 Daigaku, Uchinada, Ishikawa 920 0293, Japan
Tob Control 18:345-53. 2009
- Trends in educational inequalities in smoking and physical activity in Canada: 1974-2005
Institute for Work and Health, 481 University Avenue, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Epidemiol Community Health 63:317-23. 2009
..However, little research has examined if educational inequalities in either of these important health determinants have changed...
- Effectiveness of tax and price policies in tobacco control
Frank J Chaloupka
Economics, College of Business Administration, Health Policy and Administration, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, Illinois, USA
Tob Control 20:235-8. 2011