Genomes and Genes
Summary: Acquired or learned responses which are regularly manifested.
Publications315 found, 100 shown here
- Lesions of dorsolateral striatum preserve outcome expectancy but disrupt habit formation in instrumental learningHenry H Yin
Department of Psychology, and Brain Research Institute, University of California, Los Angeles, 1285 Franz Hall, Los Angeles, CA 90095 1563, USA
Eur J Neurosci 19:181-9. 2004b>Habits are controlled by antecedent stimuli rather than by goal expectancy...
- Changing circumstances, disrupting habitsWendy Wood
Department of Psychology, Duke University, Durham, NC 27708, USA
J Pers Soc Psychol 88:918-33. 2005..When usual contexts for performance change, habits cannot be cued by recurring stimuli, and performance should be disrupted...
- Neural systems of reinforcement for drug addiction: from actions to habits to compulsionBarry J Everitt
Department of Experimental Psychology and the MRC Wellcome Behavioural and Clinical Neuroscience Institute, University of Cambridge, Downing Street, Cambridge CB2 3EB, UK
Nat Neurosci 8:1481-9. 2005..These neural transitions may themselves depend on the neuroplasticity in both cortical and striatal structures that is induced by chronic self-administration of drugs...
- Habits, rituals, and the evaluative brainAnn M Graybiel
Department of Brain and Cognitive Science and the McGovern Institute for Brain Research, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02139, USA
Annu Rev Neurosci 31:359-87. 2008Scientists in many different fields have been attracted to the study of habits because of the power habits have over behavior and because they invoke a dichotomy between the conscious, voluntary control over behavior, considered the ..
- Finger counting habits modulate spatial-numerical associationsMartin H Fischer
School of Psychology, University of Dundee, Dundee, Scotland, UK
Cortex 44:386-92. 2008This study explored the contribution of finger counting habits to the association of numbers with space (the SNARC effect)...
- You can count on the motor cortex: finger counting habits modulate motor cortex activation evoked by numbersNadja Tschentscher
Medical Research Council, Cognition and Brain Sciences Unit, 15 Chaucer Road, Cambridge CB2 7EF, UK
Neuroimage 59:3139-48. 2012..the representation of numbers, and is organization of numerical knowledge influenced by individual finger counting habits? Developmental studies suggest a link between numerals and finger counting habits due to the acquisition of ..
- Reliance on habits at the expense of goal-directed control following dopamine precursor depletionSanne de Wit
Behavioral and Clinical Neuroscience Institute, University of Cambridge, Cambridge, UK
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 219:621-31. 2012..Recent animal studies have implicated dopamine in the reinforcement of stimulus-response habits, as well as in flexible, goal-directed action...
- Evidence for the validity of a sleep habits survey for adolescentsAmy R Wolfson
Department of Psychology, College of the Holy Cross, Worcester, MA 01610, USA
Sleep 26:213-6. 2003..patterns in adolescents through a comparison of retrospective survey descriptions of usual school- and weekend-night sleep habits with diary-reported sleep patterns and actigraphically estimated sleep behaviors over a subsequent week.
- Goals and habits in the brainRay J Dolan
Wellcome Trust Centre for Neuroimaging, Institute of Neurology, University College London, London WC1 3BG, UK Electronic address
Neuron 80:312-25. 2013..We review four generations of work in this tradition and provide pointers to the forefront of the field's fifth generation. ..
- Nonnutritive sucking habits in Brazilian children: effects on deciduous dentition and relationship with facial morphologyCintia Regina Tornisiello Katz
Pernambuco School of Dentistry, Pernambuco State University, Rua Mamangiape 518, apto 2102, Boa Viagem, CEP 51020 250 Recife, Pernambuco, Brazil
Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 126:53-7. 2004This study assessed the relationship between nonnutritive sucking habits, facial morphology, and malocclusion in 3 planes of space (transverse, vertical, and anteroposterior) in 330 Brazilian children (4 years of age) attending state ..
- Smoking habits of 411 women with histologically proven endometriosis and 567 unaffected womenCharles Chapron
Service de Gynécologie Obstétrique II et Médecine de la Reproduction, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Cochin Saint Vincent de Paul, Groupe Hospitalier Universitaire Ouest, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, Universite Paris Descartes, Paris, France
Fertil Steril 94:2353-5. 2010Smoking habits did not influence either the risk of any form of endometriosis (superficial peritoneal endometriosis, ovarian endometriomas, and deep infiltrating endometriosis) and did not correlate with the revised American Fertility ..
- Habits, action sequences and reinforcement learningAmir Dezfouli
Brain and Mind Research Institute, University of Sydney, Camperdown, NSW 2050, Australia
Eur J Neurosci 35:1036-51. 2012..This model is powerful but has a problem explaining the development of habitual actions. To account for habits, theorists have argued that another action controller is required, called model-free RL, that does not form a ..
- The theory of planned behavior and binge drinking among undergraduate students: assessing the impact of habit strengthPaul Norman
Department of Psychology, University of Sheffield, Sheffield, UK
Addict Behav 36:502-7. 2011..g., perceived positive and negative consequences) of binge drinking as well as the environmental factors (i.e., contextual cues) that promote binge drinking...
- Lesion to the nigrostriatal dopamine system disrupts stimulus-response habit formationAlexis Faure
Laboratoire de Neurobiologie de l Apprentissage, de la Memoire et de la Communication, Unité Mixte de Recherche 8620, Universite Paris Sud, 91405 Orsay Cedex, France
J Neurosci 25:2771-80. 2005..In dopamine-depleted rats, lever press and chain pull remained sensitive to reward devaluation, evidencing a role of striatal dopamine transmission in habit formation...
- Drinking habits are associated with changes in the dental plaque microbial communityCaterina Signoretto
Dipartimento di Patologia, Sezione di Microbiologia, Universita di Verona, Strada Le Grazie, 8, Verona 37134, Italy
J Clin Microbiol 48:347-56. 2010..the microbiota of supra- and subgingival plaque samples collected from 75 adult subjects with different drinking habits (drinkers of coffee, red wine, or water for at least 2 years) by analyzing the microbial population through the ..
- Bidirectional modulation of goal-directed actions by prefrontal cortical dopaminePaul K Hitchcott
Department of Psychiatry, Division of Molecular Psychiatry, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 06508, USA
Cereb Cortex 17:2820-7. 2007..Such insensitivity to changes in outcome value is a defining characteristic of instrumental habits: responses that are controlled by antecedent stimuli rather than goal expectancy...
- The role of the orbitofrontal cortex in normally developing compulsive-like behaviors and obsessive-compulsive disorderDavid W Evans
Department of Psychology, Bucknell University, Lewisburg, PA 17837, USA
Brain Cogn 55:220-34. 2004..In making these comparisons, we hope to open a dialogue between researchers who study underlying brain pathologies associated with OCD and those who explore the neurocognitive bases of normal development...
- Adolescent in-school cellphone habits: a census of rules, survey of their effectiveness, and fertility implicationsMary Redmayne
School of Geography, Environment and Earth Sciences, Victoria University of Wellington, PO Box 600, Wellington, New Zealand
Reprod Toxicol 32:354-9. 2011..Genotoxic effects have been demonstrated from 'non-thermal' exposures, but not consistently. There is sufficient evidence and expert opinion to warrant an enforced school policy removing cellphones from students during the day...
- The automatic component of habit in health behavior: habit as cue-contingent automaticitySheina Orbell
Department of Psychology, University of Essex, Essex, CO4 3SQ, United Kingdom
Health Psychol 29:374-83. 2010..Three studies examined habitual automaticity in regard to different aspects of the cue-response relationship characteristic of unhealthy and healthy habits.
- Harmful alcohol habits were no more common in a sample of newly sick-listed Swedish women and men compared with a random population sampleG Hensing
Social Medicine, Department of Public Health and Community Medicine, Institute of Medicine, The Sahlgrenska Academy at the University of Gothenburg, PO Box 453, SE 405 30 Goteborg, Sweden
Alcohol Alcohol 46:471-7. 2011To estimate harmful alcohol habits in a sample of incident sick-listed individuals compared with a random sample from the general population taking social background, health and work-related factors into account.
- Habitual versus goal-directed action control in Parkinson diseaseSanne de Wit
Department of Psychology, Amsterdam Center for Study of Adaptive Control in Brain and Behavior Acacia, University of Amsterdam, Roeterstraat 15, 1018 WB, The Netherlands
J Cogn Neurosci 23:1218-29. 2011..If anything our results suggest a disease severity-dependent deficit in goal-directed behavior. These results are discussed in the context of Parkinson disease and the neurobiology of habitual and goal-directed behavior...
- Acculturation and healthy lifestyle habits among Hispanics in United States-Mexico border communitiesSuad Ghaddar
South Texas Border Health Disparities Center, The University of Texas Pan American, Edinburg, Texas, USA
Rev Panam Salud Publica 28:190-7. 2010To explore the relationship between acculturation and healthy lifestyle habits in the largely Hispanic populations living in underserved communities in the United States of America along the U.S.-Mexico border.
- Amygdala central nucleus interacts with dorsolateral striatum to regulate the acquisition of habitsNura W Lingawi
Brain and Mind Research Institute, University of Sydney, Camperdown, New South Wales 2050, Australia
J Neurosci 32:1073-81. 2012..interaction between the CeN and dorsolateral striatum (DLS), a region previously implicated in the acquisition of habits, using asymmetrical lesions to disconnect these structures...
- Reading habits for both words and numbers contribute to the SNARC effectSamuel Shaki
Ariel University Center of Samaria, Ariel, Israel
Psychon Bull Rev 16:328-31. 2009..These results suggest that reading habits for both words and numbers contribute to the spatial representation of numbers.
- Symptoms and signs of temporomandibular disorders and oral parafunctions among Saudi childrenN M A Farsi
Faculty of Dentistry, Department of Preventive Dental Sciences, King Abdulaziz University, Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
J Oral Rehabil 30:1200-8. 2003..Cheek biting and thumb sucking were reported more in females than in males. The importance of a screening examination for symptoms and signs of TMD should not be overlooked in the clinical assessment of the pediatric patient...
- Body mass index determines sunbathing habits: implications on vitamin D levelsM Kull
Department of Internal Medicine, Rheumatology Unit, University of Tartu, Tartu, Estonia
Intern Med J 39:256-8. 2009..The aim of the paper was to test if sun exposure habits might differ according to weight and body fat per cent in a random population-based sample, and have an impact on ..
- Habits as knowledge structures: automaticity in goal-directed behaviorH Aarts
Department of Psychology and Language, Eindhoven University of Technology, The Netherlands
J Pers Soc Psychol 78:53-63. 2000This study tested the idea of habits as a form of goal-directed automatic behavior...
- Sleeping habits predict the magnitude of fat loss in adults exposed to moderate caloric restrictionJean Philippe Chaput
Healthy Active Living and Obesity Research Group, Children s Hospital of Eastern Ontario Research Institute, Ottawa, ON, Canada
Obes Facts 5:561-6. 2012..To verify whether sleep quantity and quality at baseline predict the magnitude of fat loss in adults subjected to moderate caloric restriction...
- Stress prompts habit behavior in humansLars Schwabe
Department of Cognitive Psychology, Ruhr University Bochum, 44780 Bochum, Germany
J Neurosci 29:7191-8. 2009..Moreover, stress reduced subjects' explicit knowledge of the action-outcome contingencies. These results demonstrate for the first time that stress promotes habits at the expense of goal-directed performance in humans.
- Habit versus planned behaviour: a field experimentB Verplanken
Department of Social Psychology, University of Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Br J Soc Psychol 37:111-28. 1998..The results demonstrate that, although external incentives may increase the enactment of intentions, habits set boundary conditions for the applicability of the theory of planned behaviour.
- Non-nutritive sucking habits, anterior open bite and associated factors in Brazilian children aged 30-59 monthsFlávia Maria Nassar de Vasconcelos
Department of Preventive and Community Dentistry, Dental School, University of Pernambuco, Camaragibe, PE, Brazil
Braz Dent J 22:140-5. 2011The aim of the present study was to investigate the prevalence of non-nutritive sucking habits and anterior open bite as well as their main causes (associated factors) in Brazilian children aged 30-59 months...
- Disruption in the balance between goal-directed behavior and habit learning in obsessive-compulsive disorderClaire M Gillan
Department of Experimental Psychology and Psychiatry, University of Cambridge, Cambridge, UK
Am J Psychiatry 168:718-26. 2011..This study investigated whether the urge to perform compulsive acts is mediated by a disruption in the balance between flexible, goal-directed action control and habitual behavior...
- Non-nutritive sucking habits, dental malocclusions, and facial morphology in Brazilian children: a longitudinal studyMônica Vilela Heimer
Department of Preventive and Social Dentistry, Faculty of Dentistry of Pernambuco State University, Brazil
Eur J Orthod 30:580-5. 2008The aim of this longitudinal study was to assess the relationship between non-nutritive sucking habits and the presence of anterior open bites (AOBs) and posterior crossbites and their association with facial morphology among 4- to 6-year-..
- Sleep duration, nap habits, and mortality in older personsJiska Cohen-Mansfield
The Herczeg Institute on Aging, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv, Israel
Sleep 35:1003-9. 2012..To examine the effect of nighttime sleep duration on mortality and the effect modification of daytime napping on the relationship between nighttime sleep duration and mortality in older persons...
- Evaluation of physical activity habits in patients with posttraumatic stress disorderMarcio Antonio de Assis
Laboratorio de Neurociencias, Núcleo de Pesquisas Tecnológicas, Universidade de Mogi das Cruzes, Sao Paulo, SP, Brasil
Clinics (Sao Paulo) 63:473-8. 2008In this study, we present data from a survey that aimed to assess the physical activity habits of adult Brazilian patients with Posttraumatic Stress Disorder.
- The pull of the past: when do habits persist despite conflict with motives?David T Neal
University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA 90086, USA
Pers Soc Psychol Bull 37:1428-37. 2011..eating with their dominant hand; Study 2). Across all conditions, participants with weaker cinema-popcorn-eating habits ate because of motivations such as liking for the popcorn...
- The Four Habits Coding Scheme: validation of an instrument to assess clinicians' communication behaviorEdward Krupat
Harvard Medical School, 260 Longwood Avenue, 384 MEC, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Patient Educ Couns 62:38-45. 2006To present preliminary evidence for the reliability and validity of the Four Habits Coding Scheme (4HCS), an instrument based on a teaching model used widely throughout Kaiser Permanente to improve clinicians' communication skills.
- A framework for studying the neurobiology of value-based decision makingAntonio Rangel
Division of the Humanities and Social Sciences HSS and Computational and Neural Systems Program, California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, California 91125, USA
Nat Rev Neurosci 9:545-56. 2008....
- Motivation, goal orientation, coaching, and training habits of women ultrarunnersRhonna Z Krouse
Departments of Social and Behavioral Sciences and Physical Education, College of Western Idaho, Nampa, Idaho, USA
J Strength Cond Res 25:2835-42. 2011..g., age, job demands, family structure), training habits (e.g., hours per week of training), and coach utilization of women ultrarunners...
- Associative theories of goal-directed behaviour: a case for animal-human translational modelsSanne de Wit
Department of Psychology, Amsterdam Center for the Study of Adaptive Control in Brain and Behavior Acacia, University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Psychol Res 73:463-76. 2009....
- The pediatric daytime sleepiness scale (PDSS): sleep habits and school outcomes in middle-school childrenChristopher Drake
Sleep Disorders and Research Center, Henry Ford Hospital, Detroit, MI 48202, USA
Sleep 26:455-8. 2003..To develop a measure of daytime sleepiness suitable for middle-school children and examine the relationship between daytime sleepiness and school-related outcomes...
- Healthy Habits, Happy Homes: randomized trial to improve household routines for obesity prevention among preschool-aged childrenJess Haines
Department of Family Relations and Applied Nutrition, University of Guelph, Guelph, Ontario, Canada
JAMA Pediatr 167:1072-9. 2013..Racial/ethnic and socioeconomic disparities exist across risk factors for childhood obesity...
- Mental habits: metacognitive reflection on negative self-thinkingBas Verplanken
Department of Psychology, University of Tromsø, Norway
J Pers Soc Psychol 92:526-41. 2007..The results support the assumption that metacognitive reflection on negative self-thinking as mental habit may play an important role in self-evaluative processes...
- Sedentary behavior as a daily process regulated by habits and intentionsDavid E Conroy
Department of Kinesiology
Health Psychol 32:1149-57. 2013..This study was designed to test a dual-process model of daily sedentary behavior, with an emphasis on the role of intentions and habits in regulating daily sedentary behavior.
- Breaking habits with implementation intentions: a test of underlying processesMarieke A Adriaanse
Utrecht University, Utrecht, Netherlands
Pers Soc Psychol Bull 37:502-13. 2011..the replacement of a habitual response with an alternative response in a critical situation can overrule habits. In three experiments the cognitive effects of such counterhabitual implementation intentions were investigated...
- Habitual negative body image thinking as psychological risk factor in adolescentsBas Verplanken
Department of Psychology, University of Bath, Bath BA2 7AY, UK
Body Image 5:133-40. 2008....
- Habit strength of physical activity and sedentary behavior among children and adolescentsStef P J Kremers
Dept of Health Education and Health Promotion, Universiteit Maastricht, The Netherlands
Pediatr Exerc Sci 20:5-14; discussion 14-7. 2008..The study provides early evidence to support the concept of habit as being important in dealing with physical activity in children...
- Automatic and motivational correlates of physical activity: does intensity moderate the relationship?Ryan E Rhodes
Behavioural Medicine Laboratory, Faculty of Education, University of Victoria, Victoria, B C, Canada
Behav Med 36:44-52. 2010..In the moderate intensity condition, individuals who reported higher habits showed a lower intention-behavior relationship when compared with those who reported modest or low habits...
- The theory of planned behaviour and breast self-examination: assessing the impact of past behaviour, context stability and habit strengthPaul Norman
Department of Psychology, University of Sheffield, Sheffield, UK
Psychol Health 26:1156-72. 2011....
- Vitamin D supplementation in young children: associations with Theory of Planned Behaviour variables, descriptive norms, moral norms and habitsJascha De Nooijer
Department of Health Promotion, NUTRIM School for Nutrition, Toxicology and Metabolism, Maastricht University Medical Centre, 6200 MD Maastricht, The Netherlands
Public Health Nutr 13:1279-85. 2010..intake, it is necessary to gain insight into the behaviour of parents in giving their children vitamin D supplementation and its association with variables of the Theory of Planned Behaviour, moral and descriptive norms and habits.
- Active commuting and habit strength: an interactive and discriminant analyses approachGert Jan de Bruijn
Amsterdam School of Communications Research, University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Am J Health Promot 25:e27-36. 2011b>Habits may be a mechanism linking environmental variables with active commuting...
- Adherence to prophylactic asthma medication: habit strength and cognitionsCatherine Bolman
Faculty of Psychology, Open University of the Netherlands, Heerlen, The Netherlands
Heart Lung 40:63-75. 2011....
- Habit in the physical activity domain: integration with intention temporal stability and action controlRyan Rhodes
University of Victoria, Victoria, BC, Canada
J Sport Exerc Psychol 32:84-98. 2010..The results support the notion that some properties of physical activity may have an automatic component and that habits may be important to physical activity action control.
- A population-based study on bowel habits in a Korean community: prevalence of functional constipation and self-reported constipationDae Won Jun
Department of Internal Medicine, Gastroenterology Division, Hanyang University Hospital, 17 Haeng dang dong Sung dong gu, Seoul 133 792, Republic of Korea
Dig Dis Sci 51:1471-7. 2006Most studies of bowel habits have been conducted in Western countries. This study was conducted to estimate the epidemiology of constipation and the discrepancy between self-reported constipation and bowel habits in Koreans...
- Beyond frequency: habit as mental constructBas Verplanken
University of Tromsø, Norway
Br J Soc Psychol 45:639-56. 2006..was investigated in three studies using a longitudinal, cross-sectional and experimental design on eating, mental habits and word processing, respectively...
- Dopaminergic mechanisms in actions and habitsJeffery R Wickens
Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology, Okinawa 904 2234, Japan
J Neurosci 27:8181-3. 2007..The locus of these actions within the cortical and corticostriatal circuitry is a focus on ongoing research...
- A systematic review and meta-analysis of applications of the Self-Report Habit Index to nutrition and physical activity behavioursBenjamin Gardner
Health Behaviour Research Centre, University College London, 1 19 Torrington Place, London, UK
Ann Behav Med 42:174-87. 2011..Health behaviour models typically neglect habitual action. The Self-Report Habit Index (SRHI) permits synthesis of evidence of the influence of habit on behaviour...
- The association of ADH and ALDH gene variants with alcohol drinking habits and cardiovascular disease risk factorsLise Lotte Nystrup Husemoen
Research Centre for Prevention and Health, Glostrup Hospital, Glostrup, Denmark
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 32:1984-91. 2008Genetic variation in ethanol metabolism may have an influence on both alcohol drinking habits and the susceptibility to health effects of alcohol drinking...
- Socially evaluated cold pressor stress after instrumental learning favors habits over goal-directed actionLars Schwabe
Department of Cognitive Psychology, Ruhr University Bochum, Bochum, Germany
Psychoneuroendocrinology 35:977-86. 2010..These findings show that stress induced by the socially evaluated cold pressor test can make behavior habitual without affecting processes involved in learning...
- Coordination of actions and habits in the medial prefrontal cortex of ratsSimon Killcross
School of Psychology, Cardiff University, Cardiff, UK
Cereb Cortex 13:400-8. 2003..control, but overtraining of the same response routine leads to behavioural autonomy and the development of habits that are no longer voluntary or goal-directed...
- Adolescent soft drink consumption, television viewing and habit strength. Investigating clustering effects in the Theory of Planned BehaviourGert Jan de Bruijn
Department of Communication Science, Amsterdam School of Communications Research ASCoR, Kloveniersburgwal 48, 1012 CX, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Appetite 53:66-75. 2009..an environmental component, as well as explore the potential usefulness of synergistic effects of incorporating multiple clustered behaviours, as well as their corresponding beliefs and habits in health behaviour change interventions.
- Lifeguards' sun protection habits and sunburns: association with sun-safe environments and skin cancer prevention program participationDawn M Hall
Department of Behavioral Sciences and Health Education, Rollins School of Public Health, Emory University, 1518 Clifton Rd, NE, Room 521, Atlanta, GA 30307, USA
Arch Dermatol 145:139-44. 2009To examine associations among outdoor pool environments, social norms, pool policies, and participation in a sun safety program with lifeguards' sun protection habits and sunburn.
- Sleep duration, subjective sleep need, and sleep habits of 40- to 45-year-olds in the Hordaland Health StudyReidun Ursin
Section for Physiology, Department of Biomedicine, University of Bergen, Norway
Sleep 28:1260-9. 2005..To report the distribution of various sleep parameters in a population-based study...
- Sleep and sleep habits from childhood to young adulthood over a 10-year periodB Thorleifsdottir
Sleep Laboratory, Department of Psychiatry, Landspitalinn University Hospital, Reykjavik, Iceland
J Psychosom Res 53:529-37. 2002..of this epidemiological study was to utilise a cross-sectional as well as a longitudinal approach to examine sleep habits and how they develop in young people in Iceland...
- Journal reading habits of internistsS Saint
Division of General Medicine, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Mich, USA
J Gen Intern Med 15:881-4. 2000We assessed the reading habits of internists with and without epidemiological training because such information may help guide medical journals as they make changes in how articles are edited and formatted...
- Experiences of habit formation: a qualitative studyPhillippa Lally
Health Behaviour Research Centre, Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, University College London, London, UK
Psychol Health Med 16:484-9. 2011..b>Habits were typically formed in work-based contexts...
- Early to bed, early to rise! Sleep habits and academic performance in college studentsArne H Eliasson
Scholars Program, Montgomery College, Rockville, MD 20850, USA
Sleep Breath 14:71-5. 2010..We sought to investigate the relative importance of total sleep time compared to the timing of sleep and wakefulness for academic performance...
- A theoretical investigation of the development of physical activity habits in retirementFay Beck
Department of Social and Policy Sciences, University of Bath, Bath, UK
Br J Health Psychol 15:663-79. 2010..This study examined the impact of retirement on physical activity (PA) patterns. More specifically, the process of initiating and maintaining behaviour changes in PA were explored using a self-determination theory perspective...
- Sleep habits and circadian preference in Italian children and adolescentsPaolo M Russo
Department of Psychology, University of Rome La Sapienza, Rome, Italy
J Sleep Res 16:163-9. 2007Sleep habits and circadian preference (morningness/eveningness, M/E) have been extensively analyzed in adolescents and young adults, while few studies were conducted on children and early adolescents...
- Sleep habits in Nigerian undergraduatesO S A Oluwole
Neurology Unit, Department of Medicine, College of Medicine, University of Ibadan, Ibadan, Nigeria
Acta Neurol Scand 121:1-6. 2010..The objective of this study was to describe the quantity of night sleep, factors that are associated with non-restorative sleep, and sleep habits in a population of undergraduates in Nigeria.
- Knowledge about infertility risk factors, fertility myths and illusory benefits of healthy habits in young peopleLaura Bunting
School of Psychology, Cardiff University, Tower Building, Park Place, Wales CF10 3AT, UK
Hum Reprod 23:1858-64. 2008..g. smoking), beliefs in false fertility myths (e.g. benefits of rural living) and beliefs in the illusory benefits of healthy habits (e.g. exercising regularly) on female fertility.
- Health habits of patients with schizophreniaChristiane Roick
Department of Psychiatry, University of Leipzig, Johannisallee 20, 04317, Leipzig, Germany
Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol 42:268-76. 2007The aim of the study was to analyze the physical activity, dietary, drinking, and smoking habits of schizophrenia patients (SP).
- Sleep habits and complaints of adults in the city of São Paulo, Brazil, in 1987 and 1995M L N Pires
Departamento de Psicobiologia, Escola Paulista de Medicina, Universidade Federal de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, SP, Brasil
Braz J Med Biol Res 40:1505-15. 2007This study compares the prevalence of complaints of insomnia, excessive diurnal sleepiness, parasomnias, and sleep habits of the adult population in the city of São Paulo, Brazil, estimated in surveys carried out in 1987 and 1995...
- Motor sequences and the basal ganglia: kinematics, not habitsMichel Desmurget
Centre for Cognitive Neuroscience, UMR5229, Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique, Bron, France
J Neurosci 30:7685-90. 2010..ganglia (BG) motor circuit plays a critical role in the storage and execution of movement sequences (or motor habits)...
- The effect of norms, attitudes and habits on speeding behavior: scale development and model building and estimationPatrick De Pelsmacker
University of Antwerp, Faculty of Applied Economics, Prinsstraat 13, BE 2000 Antwerp, Belgium
Accid Anal Prev 39:6-15. 2007..Recommendations for more effective and efficient anti-speeding campaigns are formulated...
- The promotion of unhealthy habits in gay, lesbian, and straight intimate partnershipsCorinne Reczek
Department of Sociology, University of Cincinnati, 1002 Crosley Tower, Cincinnati, OH 45220, United States
Soc Sci Med 75:1114-21. 2012Health habits are linked to nearly half of U.S. and British deaths annually...
- Sleep habits, sleepiness and accidents among truck driversJosé Carlos Souza
Instituto de Medicina Molecular, Faculdade de Medicina de Lisboa, Lisbon, Portugal
Arq Neuropsiquiatr 63:925-30. 2005..To evaluate the quality of sleep, shift work, alcohol and psychostimulant drug use, and the prevalence of accidents among truck drivers...
- Sleep habits and insomnia in a sample of elderly persons in ChinaXianchen Liu
Department of Psychiatry, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Sleep 28:1579-87. 2005To examine sleep habits, insomnia, and hypnotic use in the elderly in China.
- Survival of chronic hypercapnic COPD patients is predicted by smoking habits, comorbidity, and hypoxemiaTessa A C Nizet
Department of Pulmonary Diseases, Rijnstate Hospital Arnhem, PO Box 9555, 6800 TA Arnhem, Netherlands
Chest 127:1904-10. 2005..Other parameters, such as arterial blood gas values, airway obstruction (FEV1), body mass index (BMI), current smoking status, and the presence of comorbidity were studied as well...
- Habit learning and anorexia nervosa: a cognitive neuroscience hypothesisJoanna Steinglass
Department of Psychiatry, College of Physicians and Surgeons of Columbia University New York State Psychiatric Institute, New York, New York 10032, USA
Int J Eat Disord 39:267-75. 2006..Persistent, stereotyped behaviors are also characteristic of obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD). This article presents a neurocognitive model of AN, based on comparisons with OCD...
- Interrater reliability for the Four Habits Coding Scheme as part of a randomized controlled trialBård Fossli Jensen
HØKH, Research Centre, Akershus University Hospital, Lørenskog, Norway
Patient Educ Couns 80:405-9. 2010To describe the process for developing interrater reliability (IRR) for the Four Habits Coding Scheme (4HCS) for a heterogeneous material as part of a randomized controlled trial.
- The role of the basal ganglia in habit formationHenry H Yin
Laboratory for Integrative Neuroscience, National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, National Institutes of Health, 5625 Fishers Lane, TS 13, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
Nat Rev Neurosci 7:464-76. 2006..How are goal-directed actions transformed into habitual responses? Recent work combining modern behavioural assays and neurobiological analysis of the basal ganglia has begun to yield insights into the neural basis of habit formation...
- Situations influencing habits in diet and exercise among nurses working night shiftM Persson
School of Social and Health Sciences, Halmstad University, Halmstad, and Development Unit for Primary Health Care, Jonkoping, Sweden
J Nurs Manag 14:414-23. 2006The aim of the investigation was to describe situations with a significant influence on healthy diet and exercise habits among nurses working night shift.
- Morningness-eveningness and sleep habits among adolescents: age and gender differencesM José Collado Mateo
Universidad Complutense de Madrid
Psicothema 24:410-5. 2012..in different cultural contexts in order to clarify age and gender differences on morningness-eveningness and sleep habits. The goal of our research was to study the relationship between morningness-eveningness and sleep habits in a ..
- Socio-economic inequalities in health, habits and self-care during pregnancy in SpainIsabel Larrañaga
Public Health Department of Gipuzkoa, Avenida Navarra no 4, San Sebastian, Gipuzkoa, Spain
Matern Child Health J 17:1315-24. 2013..The relationship between socioeconomic status (SES) and maternal health, dietary intake, lifestyle habits and self-care related variables was modelled using logistic regression analysis. 33...
- Losartan hydroxylation phenotype in an Ecuadorian population: influence of CYP2C9 genetic polymorphism, habits and genderPedro Dorado
CICAB Centro de Investigación Clínica, University of Extremadura, SES Servicio Extremeño de Salud, Hospital Universitario Infanta Cristina, 06080 Badajoz, Spain
Pharmacogenomics 13:1711-7. 2012....
- Reading habits and line bisection: a developmental approachS Chokron
Fondation Ophtalmologique Rothschild, Universite de Savoie, Jacob Bellecombette, Chambery, France
Brain Res Cogn Brain Res 3:51-8. 1995120 normal right-handed subjects, children and adults, with opposite reading habits (60 French, left-to-right readers, 60 Israeli, right-to-left readers) and 60 pre-school children (30 French and 30 Israeli), were submitted to a visuo-..
- Sleep habits and patterns of college students: a preliminary studyW C Buboltz
Department of Pathology, Louisiana Tech University, Ruston 71272, USA
J Am Coll Health 50:131-5. 2001..They suggest how colleges and university officials can alter procedures to minimize students' sleep disturbances and reduce the deleterious effects of sleep problems on academic performance...
- Prevalence and impact of sleep disorders and sleep habits in the United StatesSaravanan Ram
Division of Diagnostic Sciences, Orofacial Pain and Oral Medicine Center, USC School of Dentistry, Los Angeles, CA, 90089 0641, USA
Sleep Breath 14:63-70. 2010..Most studies on sleep habits and sleep-related difficulties have focused on children and adolescents...
- Behaviors and hygiene habits of complete denture wearersAmanda Peracini
Department of Dental Materials and Prosthodontics, University of Sao Paulo, Ribeirao Preto, SP, Brazil
Braz Dent J 21:247-52. 2010..patients from Ribeirão Preto Dental School, University of São Paulo, Brazil, to evaluate the hygiene methods and habits concerning the use of complete dentures, the age of dentures, and whether patients have been instructed on how to ..
- Are active sun exposure habits related to lowering risk of type 2 diabetes mellitus in women, a prospective cohort study?Pelle G Lindqvist
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, CLINTEC, Karolinska University Hospital, Huddinge, Kvinnokliniken K 57, Stockholm, Sweden
Diabetes Res Clin Pract 90:109-14. 2010An inverse relationship exists between vitamin D levels and diabetes mellitus. However, little is known about the correlation of sun exposure habits and type 2 diabetes mellitus (DM).
- Driving habits and health-related quality of life in patients with age-related maculopathyDawn K DeCarlo
Low Vision and Geriatrics, Nova Southeastern University, College of Optometry, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33328, USA
Optom Vis Sci 80:207-13. 2003To characterize the driving habits of persons with age-related maculopathy who present to a low-vision rehabilitation clinic and to examine how driving status relates to vision-specific health-related quality of life.
- Oral habits in the primary and mixed dentitions of some Nigerian children: a longitudinal studyChukwudi O Onyeaso
Department of Child Dental Health, Faculty of Dentistry, College of Health Sciences, University of Port Harcourt, Port Harcourt, Nigeria
Oral Health Prev Dent 6:185-90. 2008To longitudinally evaluate oral habits and their effects on the developing occlusion in Nigerian children.
- [Sleep habits and sleep disturbance in school-age children of China]Sheng Hui Li
Shanghai Children s Medical Center, Shanghai Jiao Tong University School of Medicine, Shanghai 200027, China
Zhonghua Er Ke Za Zhi 46:185-9. 2008To survey the sleep habits (bedtime, wake time), sleep duration, and sleep problems in school-age children of China.
- Planning to break unwanted habits: habit strength moderates implementation intention effects on behaviour changeThomas L Webb
Department of Psychology, University of Sheffield, Western Bank, Sheffield, UK
Br J Soc Psychol 48:507-23. 2009..investigated whether implementation intentions promote behaviour change when people possess strong antagonistic habits. Experiment 1 developed relatively habitual responses that, after a task switch, had a detrimental impact on task ..
- Paternal smoking habits affect the reproductive life span of daughtersMisao Fukuda
M and K Health Institute, Hyogo, Japan
Fertil Steril 95:2542-4. 2011The present study assessed whether the smoking habits of fathers around the time of conception affected the period in which daughters experienced menstrual cycles (i.e., the reproductive life span)...
- Cortical activity and children's rituals, habits and other repetitive behavior: a visual P300 studyDavid W Evans
Program in Neuroscience, Bucknell University, USA
Behav Brain Res 224:174-9. 2011..The research punctuates the continuity between observed brain-behavior links in clinical disorders such as OCD and autism spectrum disorders, and normative variants of repetitive behavior...
- Smoking habits and attitudes toward tobacco bans among United Kingdom hospital staff and studentsK E Lewis
School of Medicine, Swansea University, Swansea, UK
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 15:1122-6. 2011..A group of United Kingdom (UK) hospitals...
- Cluster headache and lifestyle habitsMarkus Schürks
Division of Preventive Medicine, Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, 900 Commonwealth Avenue East, 3rd Floor, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Curr Pain Headache Rep 12:115-21. 2008..Despite country-specific habits and a time trend, smoking is much more prevalent among CH patients compared with the general population...
- Associations between media consumption habits, physical activity, socioeconomic status, and glycemic control in children, adolescents, and young adults with type 1 diabetesAngela Galler
Department of Paediatric Endocrinology and Diabetology, Interdisziplinäres Sozialpädiatrisches Zentrum, University Hospital for Children and Adolescents, Campus Virchow Klinikum, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Berlin, Germany
Diabetes Care 34:2356-9. 2011To evaluate the relationship between media consumption habits, physical activity, socioeconomic status, and glycemic control in youths with type 1 diabetes.
- Physical activity habits of cardiac patients participating in an early outpatient rehabilitation programTroy G Stevenson
Division of Gerontology, University of Maryland, Baltimore, MD, USA
J Cardiopulm Rehabil Prev 29:299-303. 2009The primary purpose of the study was to assess whether physical activity (PA) habits change following 4 to 6 weeks of an early outpatient cardiac rehabilitation (CR) program...
- METABOLIC SYNDROME AND PERIODONTITIS IN POSTMENOPAUSAL WOMENMichael J LaMonte; Fiscal Year: 2013..ACH);dual energy x-ray absorptiometry (DXA) for bone density and body composition;questionnaires on lifestyle habits, oral hygiene and medical history;resting blood pressure;and a fasting blood sample meticulously collected, ..
- FOLLOW UP OF THE ALPHA-TOCOPHEROL, BETA-CAROTENE CANCER PREVENTION (ATBC) STUDYJarmo Virtamo; Fiscal Year: 2010..participants were asked about their health and possible subjective side effects, capsule compliance, and smoking habits since the last visit. Chest films were taken at 2-3 year intervals and at the end of the trial...
- Molecular Mechanism of Protein Kinase Cbeta-Mediated Cholesterol HomeostasisKamal D Mehta; Fiscal Year: 2010..but includes a strong genetic component as well as lifestyle factors such as physical inactivity, dietary habits and smoking...
- Predictors of Dietary Quality in Low-Income Pregnant WomenEileen R Fowles; Fiscal Year: 2010..modifiable maternal factors (stress, depression, social support, emotional eating, nutritional knowledge, eating habits) and contextual maternal factors (ethnicity, pre-pregnant BMI, pregnancy-spacing, pregnancy intendedness, nausea ..
- Discovery of Selective MT1 Melatonin Receptor Ligands for Sleep DisordersMargarita L Dubocovich; Fiscal Year: 2010DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Sleep disorders due to stress, illness, chronic pain, and poor sleep habits are a major social and health concern, resulting in lost work, decreased attention and productivity, daytime drowsiness, ..
- Melanopsin Signal Transduction Studied by FTIR SpectroscopyKenneth J Rothschild; Fiscal Year: 2012..Because melanopsin is involved in a variety of physiological functions including sleep, mental alertness, eating habits, and hormonal levels, as well potentially involved in a variety of disorders including sleep disorders, seasonal ..
- Web-based Patient-Reported Outcomes (PRO) System for Breast Cancer SurvivorsJOHN CHRISTOPHER WEISS; Fiscal Year: 2010..to communicate their quality of life (physical, functional, mental health status), symptoms, and health habits to their cancer centers...
- Food Environment, Diet Quality and Disparities in ObesityAdam Drewnowski; Fiscal Year: 2013..the first in- person interview, participants will complete a behavior survey module on food shopping and dietary habits, estimated food expenditures, nutrition literacy, attitudes towards diet and health, demographics, and health ..
- Sleep Disordered Breathing and Growth in Children: A Longitudinal Cohort StudyKaren Bonuck; Fiscal Year: 2009..whether such associations are mediated by or are independent of factors such as: early growth patterns, feeding habits, energy intake, T&A surgery, and;family demographics...
- A Mindfulness-Based Approach to the Treatment of Obesity and DiabetesCarla K Miller; Fiscal Year: 2010..interactions such that hyperglycemia may adversely affect mood, and depressed mood may contribute to poor eating habits, physical inactivity, and further weight gain...
- Self-Determination Theory and Lifestyle Behaviors in Barrett's Esophagus PatientsHODA J BADR; Fiscal Year: 2010..Controlled motives often follow an illness diagnosis and can result in patients reverting to maladaptive health habits over time...
- Saliva and Serum Inflammatory Biomarkers in Periodontitis: A Study in Older WomenJean Wactawski Wende; Fiscal Year: 2010..Information was collected on participant demographics, personal habits, lifestyle factors, psychosocial factors, dietary intake, physical activity, medication/supplement use, occupation,..
- Risk for Dysfunctional Romantic Relationships for AdultsDeborah M Capaldi; Fiscal Year: 2013..Although studies of the behavioral etiology of poor health frequently focus on individual habits (e.g., diet) and general environmental risk (e.g...
- Evaluation of Safety Training, Supervision, and Injury Among Working Teenagers.KRISTINA MARIE ZIEROLD; Fiscal Year: 2010..proposed pilot study, by a new investigator, will evaluate work-place safety training, workplace supervision, work habits, and occupational injury among a diverse group of working high school teenagers...
- BEHAVIORAL PHYSIOLOGY OF BODY WEIGHT REGULATIONDIANNE FIGLEWICZ LATTEMANN; Fiscal Year: 2013..Our experiments thus model one aspect of the eating habits of people in 'Westernized'societies such as the U.S...
- GENETIC & ENVIRONMENTAL RISK FACTORS FOR BLADDER CANCERMalcolm Pike; Fiscal Year: 2009..for the 3-fold increased risk of bladder cancer in US white versus Chinese men despite their comparable smoking habits may be the higher prevalence in the former population of individuals with deficient arylamine-detoxifying enzymes, ..
- Socioeconomic status and smoking exposure in AppalachiaJoshua E Muscat; Fiscal Year: 2013..populations with lower SES is due to higher smoke exposure that cannot be accounted for by self-reported smoking habits. Their previous laboratory studies demonstrate that there is a wide degree of variation in biological exposure to ..
- Three-generation Human Study of Reproductive Effects of Marine Food ContaminantsPHILIPPE ADAM GRANDJEAN; Fiscal Year: 2010..In Faroese adults, an estimate of prenatal exposure levels can be obtained from the mother's dietary habits and current serum concentration of persistent organochlorine substances...
- Plant-based diets and risk of cancerGary E Fraser; Fiscal Year: 2013..Thus a very important feature is a wide range of dietary habits. The main goals of this work are to first evaluate associations between plant-based compared to omnivorous diets ..
- Drosophila feeding behavior: New tools for the genetic dissection of prandiologyWilliam W Ja; Fiscal Year: 2012..of hunger, satiety, and the timing of meals has been neglected, despite the possible role played by prandial habits in the physiopathology of obesity, hypercholesterolemia, and diabetes...
- Prospective Study of Restless Leg SyndromeXiang Gao; Fiscal Year: 2011..that includes multiple and validated assessments of several aspects of lifestyle, including diet and health habits, over a period of 16 years in men and women, and prospectively collected blood and DNA samples...
- An interactive web-based intervention to achieve healthy weight in young childrenEllen Wald; Fiscal Year: 2013..leading us to focus our intervention on younger children (3 to 6 years of age) whose dietary and physical activity habits may be easier to change...
- Improving Obesity Self-care Among Mentally Ill VeteransGINA LATRICE EVANS; Fiscal Year: 2012..Psychological variables create barriers to engagement and maintenance of obesity self-care habits. Decreased symptoms of depression and anxiety have been associated with successful weight management which in turn ..
- Diet by Gene Interactions Affecting Calcium and Bone MetabolismJames C Fleet; Fiscal Year: 2010..PUBLIC HEALTH RELEVANCE: Both inherited genetic factors and lifestyle habits like high dietary calcium intake are essential for optimal bone health and for the prevention of the bone disease ..
- Establishment of a bioresource for discovery and evaluation of genetic and otherDanish Saleheen; Fiscal Year: 2010..3, chr 1p13.3);(iv) direct evaluation of several priority non-genetic factors (eg, smoking habits, history of diabetes) in stroke in South Asia;and (v) enhancement of scientific capacity-building initiatives in ..
- Agonistic Stress and CVD Risk in Young AdultsCraig K Ewart; Fiscal Year: 2010..arousal / hostility/ hostile environment), Dysphoric Affect (DA;anxiety/ depression/ isolation), and risky health habits (RHH), for causal models testing the hypothesis that increased IPC stress and CVD risk in young adulthood is ..
- Integrative Genomics of Vanin Gene Expression in Relation to CVD RiskEric Moses; Fiscal Year: 2013..Many lines of evidence suggest that aside from adopting healthy lifestyle habits, patients with established CVD, and those at high risk, may benefit from drugs that increase circulating levels of ..
- Reducing Health Disparities by Decreasing Weight Bias in Community Healthcare SetJeanne M Ferrante; Fiscal Year: 2013..Obese persons are also subjected to weight bias, which leads to poor eating habits, refusal to diet, avoidance of exercise, and delays in cancer screenings...
- Peer groups for healthy pregnancy &HIV prevention for young Malawian womenKathleen F Norr; Fiscal Year: 2013..abstaining or using condoms) to prevent STIs, including HIV infection; treatment for STIs;maintaining good health habits such as diet, exercise and avoiding substance use;using an effective family planning method to prevent unintended ..
- Obesity, Inflammation and BPHSimon W Hayward; Fiscal Year: 2013..inflammation and hyperplasia to determine which aspects of the disease process can be reversed by altering dietary habits. The third aim will take advantage of a NIDDK supported, prospective epidemiologic study of men with BPH (the ..
- Native Healthy Lifestyle: A Return to BalanceELISA TAN LEE; Fiscal Year: 2010..program for American Indian adults (aged 30-59 years), who have high risk of developing CVD, to form healthy habits in diet and physical activity. 2...
- Impact of Family History of Colon Cancer on Adenomas in 40-49 Year OldsPhilip S Schoenfeld; Fiscal Year: 2012..in 40-49 year old "average-risk" individuals with scant hematochezia, abdominal discomfort, or altered bowel habits (i.e...
- Growing Right Onto Wellness (GROW): Changing Early Childhood BMI TrajectoriesShari Barkin; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Food preferences and activity habits set in early childhood can profoundly influence lifelong trajectories for Body l\/lass Index (BMI) and health...
- Influences of Parental Smoking on Pre-teen Reactivity to Smoking-Related StimuliCATHERINE ANN FORESTELL; Fiscal Year: 2012..Because the likelihood that children will engage in smoking behavior is influenced by their parents'smoking habits and attitudes, it is important to understand the developmental mechanisms involved in this relationship in order ..
- The 1200 Patients Project: Studying Clinical Implementation of PharmacogenomicsPETER HUGH O'DONNELL; Fiscal Year: 2013..and utilized by physicians when timely, relevant results are available;its impact on physician prescribing habits and patient and physician satisfaction with care;and the effect of physician knowledge and attitudes/perceptions ..
- Enhancing Group Identify May Improve Effectiveness of Diabetes Self-Management EdJANET SUTTIE; Fiscal Year: 2010..because of the focus on evaluating new ways to teach and motivate people with diabetes to improve their health habits. First, a feasibility study will show how well a diabetes education session is delivered to two small groups of ..
- A Family Partnership Intervention for Heart FailureSandra Dunbar; Fiscal Year: 2009..Because performance of these behaviors occurs in the family context and is influenced by family activities and habits, a family approach to improve self-management behaviors has great promise...
- Treatment Study Using Depot Naltrexone(1/6)Philadelphia Coord/Data Mgmt SiteCHARLES P O'BRIEN; Fiscal Year: 2013..the United States since the 1960s and a large proportion of users are involved in crimes to support their habits. After release from incarceration, relapse to opioid addiction is very common and this leads to more crimes and re-..
- Central Molecular Mechanisms of Stress-Induced Visceral HypersensitivityANTHONY CHRISTOPHER JOHNSON; Fiscal Year: 2012..a chronic functional gastrointestinal (GI) disorder, is severe abdominal pain, associated with altered bowel habits, in the absence of any identifiable disease...
- The Microbial Ecology of Bacterial Vaginosis: A Fine Scale Resolution MetagenomicJacques Ravel; Fiscal Year: 2011..are collected daily along with data on the occurrence of BV, vaginal pH, and information on time varying habits and practices;(3) Determine the gene content (metagenome) of vaginal microbial communities to assess the metabolic ..
- A Novel Strategy for Combating Obesity: Reprogramming Neural CircuitsKAY MAXINE TYE; Fiscal Year: 2013..and avoid the relapse of obesity, we must first identify the neural underpinnings of unhealthy eating choices and habits. The immediate goals of this innovative proposal are to decipher the neural code predicting compulsive ..
- Protease Operated Depot for Delivery of GLP-1Ashutosh Chilkoti; Fiscal Year: 2013..Diabetes is exploding globally and in the US, driven by an increasingly sedentary life-style, poor nutritional habits and obesity. It has been estimated that type-2 diabetes will soon assume a pandemic status globally...
- Treatment Study Using Depot Naltrexone(2/6)Rhode Island Protocol Treatment SitePeter D Friedmann; Fiscal Year: 2012..the United States since the 1960s and a large proportion of users are involved in crimes to support their habits. After release from incarceration, relapse to opioid addiction is very common and this leads to more crimes and re-..
- Coaching Parents to Manage Youth Stress through Recreation and CultureHoward C Stevenson; Fiscal Year: 2010..the stress that promotes academic disengagement and peer aggression can reduce greater and related public health problems of substance abuse, unprotected sexual behavior, poor eating habits, physical inactivity and violence perpetration.
- Use of Continuous Glucose Sensors in Adolescents with Inadequate Diabetic ControlTim Wysocki; Fiscal Year: 2013..and psychological benefits for adolescents with T1DM, but those with extremely variable self-management habits and suboptimal glycemic control may not realize these benefits readily...
- Isolation of a cervical cancer tumor suppressor geneEri S Srivatsan; Fiscal Year: 2012..It is also a major cancer of the developing world. The disease is frequently found in women having multiple sex partners, smoking habits, and immune system dysfunctions.
- JointADventure: A Worksite Activity-Diet Intervention for Chronic Knee PainRowland W Chang; Fiscal Year: 2013..at this worksite, 2) estimate the effectiveness of the intervention to decrease body weight, improve dietary habits, and increase objectively-measured physical activity, 3) to improve objectively measured functional performance, ..
- Nicotine and impulsivity in an animal model of ADHDFederico Sanabria; Fiscal Year: 2011..It has been argued that the link between ADHD and smoking habits reflects a pattern of self-medication among ADHD population...
- Treatment Study Using Depot Naltrexone(3/6)NY/Bellevue Protocol Treatment SiteJOSHUA D LEE; Fiscal Year: 2013..the United States since the 1960s and a large proportion of users are involved in crimes to support their habits. After release from incarceration, relapse to opioid addiction is very common and this leads to more crimes and re-..
- Training Interventions and Genetics of Exercise Response (TIGER)Molly Bray; Fiscal Year: 2013..6, 12, and 24 months following completion of the study protocol and questioned regarding current exercise habits and body weight...
- Treatment Studies Using Depot Naltrexone (4/6) Columbia Protocol Treatment SiteEdward V Nunes; Fiscal Year: 2012
- Web-based chronic disease dietary self-management program for African AmericansDavid Farrell; Fiscal Year: 2013..particularly at risk for diet-related chronic diseases and complication because of obesity and unhealthy eating habits. A major barrier to making dietary changes is the high fat and salty foods found in traditional "southern cooking,"..
- Web-based, Patient-centered Approach to CVD Risk-factor Management and ReductionJeffrey A Henderson; Fiscal Year: 2010..Poor dietary and physical activity habits and adherence with prescribed therapies and instructions for chronic disease management are several important ..
- Restless Legs Syndrome, Cardiovascular Risk Factors, and Cardiovascular EventsTobias Kurth; Fiscal Year: 2010..Furthermore, all participants provided high-quality information about a large number of lifestyle habits, diet, medical history, and personal characteristics at baseline and during follow- up...
- Science and Community: Partnering to prevent early childhood obesityRebecca E Lee; Fiscal Year: 2013..Next we will develop and evaluate a dietary habits and physical activity intervention for delivery in daycare settings to preschool children...
- Lunch in the Bag: Packing More Fruit, Vegetables, Grain in Preschool Sack LunchesDEANNA MARIE HOELSCHER; Fiscal Year: 2013..This includes preschool age children, which is a major concern since food preferences and eating habits developed in early childhood track into later childhood and early adulthood...
- Chronic Moderate Sleep Restriction in Older Long and Older Average SleepersShawn D Youngstedt; Fiscal Year: 2013..average sleepers. The study should also provide genotyping and qualitative information about habits/beliefs about sleep in these groups...
- Treatment Study Using Depot Naltrexone(5/6)Baltimore Protocol Treatment SiteTimothy W Kinlock; Fiscal Year: 2013
- Changes in Physical Activity and Diet in Colorectal Cancer SurvivorsElliot J Coups; Fiscal Year: 2010..Lifestyle practices including physical inactivity and poor dietary habits are risk factors for colorectal cancer incidence, recurrence, and mortality, and also increase the risk for other ..
- Oral Home Telecare for TetraplegicsHon K Yuen; Fiscal Year: 2010..The study offers the potential of building long-term habits for maintaining oral health among people with tetraplegia, thereby maintaining the continuity of care with ..
- Function and Behavior Phenotype of Inflammatory Arthritis in the Rat Knee and TMJKyle D Allen; Fiscal Year: 2013..associated with TMJ pain and dysfunction in the rat, including new systems to assess chewing kjhematics, dietary habits,^ bite-force, sleeping and grooming behaviorSi and orofacial sensitivity...
- Investigating the Role of a Lifestyle Intervention on Novel Estrogen BiomarkersKerryn W Reding; Fiscal Year: 2011..being to prepare the candidate to conduct interventions aimed at improving women's dietary and exercise habits, this proposal is well aligned with the National Institute of Nursing's focus on health promotion, ..
- MODEL FOR SENSITIVE PERIODS IN EARLY FLAVOR LEARNINGJULIA ANNE MENNELLA; Fiscal Year: 2013..vegetables to children's diets, focus on early life, unlike many other studies that attempt to modify food habits in older children, and focus on the maternal-infant dyad because mothers'food consumption and feeding choices ..
- Investigations of the role of house flies as vectors for bacterial pathogensDana Nayduch; Fiscal Year: 2009..feed and breed on feces and other septic substrates. Due to their synanthropic nature and indiscriminate feeding habits, house flies are involved in the epidemiology of >65 diseases that affect humans world-wide...
- Green tea catechins in precancerorus preventionHWA CHAIN WANG; Fiscal Year: 2009..Environmental factors (exposures to chemical carcinogens, dietary habits, etc.) are part of that process and are responsible for more than 70% of human breast cancers...
- Oxidative Stress, DNA Repair & Colorectal Adenoma RiskMichael Goodman; Fiscal Year: 2009..is to examine the association between colorectal adenoma and determinants of oxidative stress including dietary habits, serum ferritin (marker of iron intake), biomarkers of oxidative damage, serum antioxidant levels, as well as ..
- INSECT DIURETIC HORMONSES: STRUCTURES AND FUNCTIONDAVID SCHOOLEY; Fiscal Year: 2003..prolixus and Manduca sexta; these insects represent species with disparate dietary habits, the former being an obligate blood feeder and the latter being phytophagous...
- Motivational control of goal-directed actions and habitsBrian J Wiltgen; Fiscal Year: 2010..b>Habits are behaviors that have become unconscious and automatic as a result of repeated pairings with reinforcement (A...
- LONGITUDINAL SUCKING PATTERNS & DENTAL ARCH DEVELOPMENTJohn Warren; Fiscal Year: 2000..have unknown etiologies, a number of studies during the past 30 years have suggested that non- nutritive sucking habits, such as pacifier use and digit sucking in infancy and early childhood, may cause some malocclusions...
- Improving Health Habits: Self-Care PrioritiesLillian Gelberg; Fiscal Year: 2007..feasibility of using brief physician advice and multi-level, clinic- based interventions to improve poor dietary habits, increase physical activity, or reduce sedentary lifestyles among culturally diverse, low-income populations that ..
- Promoting Sleep Health in Pediatric Primary Care Settings: A Web-based CME CourseLisa Marceau; Fiscal Year: 2009..Unhealthy sleep habits in children often result in insufficient and poor quality sleep, which in turn impacts negatively on mood, ..
- Healthy Teens TXT ME; IT to change teen health risk behaviorsArdis L Olson; Fiscal Year: 2010DESCRIPTION (provided by the applicant): During adolescence health habits that persist into adulthood are being established...
- Evaluating the Impact of Menu Labeling on Families. Food Choices and IntakeCHRISTINA ANN ROBERTO; Fiscal Year: 2010..from the New Haven Community to participate in a consumer market research study of dining preferences and eating habits to conceal the study's purpose...
- Integrating and Evaluating the Modeling Applied to Problem Solving PedagogyDavid E Pritchard; Fiscal Year: 2010..Modeling Applied to Problem Solving (MAPS) is designed specifically to help students learn expert problem solving habits within the framework and syllabus of an existing introductory course...
- CANCER DIET KNOWLEDGE AND BELIEFS IN AFRICAN AMERICANSADELIA BOVELL BENJAMIN; Fiscal Year: 2003..The overall objective of the study is to better describe and understand the dietary habits, and the barriers, which prevent AA from adopting eating habits consistent with the dietary guidelines...
- CODING OF BEHAVIORAL SEQUENCES IN THE BASAL GANGLIAJ Aldridge; Fiscal Year: 2001..the basal ganglia such as the uncontrollable repetition of spoken words in Tourette's syndrome and the tormenting habits and thoughts of obsessive compulsive disorder suggest that sequential control mechanisms may be a fundamental ..
- A Telephone-Based Cancer Education & Prevention Intervention for TeensKENNETH TERCYAK; Fiscal Year: 2007..These risk factors originate during childhood, when stable, lifelong habits of smoking, eating, drinking, and exercise are formed and track into adulthood...