Genomes and Genes
patient acceptance of health care
Summary: The seeking and acceptance by patients of health service.
Publications373 found, 100 shown here
- Expanding access to voluntary HIV counselling and testing in sub-Saharan Africa: alternative approaches for improving uptake, 2001-2007Joseph K B Matovu
Rakai Health Sciences Program Uganda Virus Research Institute, Entebbe, Uganda
Trop Med Int Health 12:1315-22. 2007..We recommend that these alternative models be implemented in more settings and on a much larger scale in sub-Saharan Africa, where VCT uptake rates remain low...
- Revisiting the behavioral model and access to medical care: does it matter?R M Andersen
Department of Health Services, School of Public Health, UCLA 90024 1772, USA
J Health Soc Behav 36:1-10. 1995..The Behavioral Model of Health Services Use was initially developed over 25 years ago. In the interim it has been subject to considerable application, reprobation, and alteration. I review its development and assess its continued relevance...
- A systematic review of delay in the diagnosis and treatment of tuberculosisDag Gundersen Storla
Department of International Health, Institute of General Practice and Community Medicine, University of Oslo, PO Box 1130 Blindern, N 0318 Oslo, Norway
BMC Public Health 8:15. 2008..Delay in diagnosis is significant to both disease prognosis at the individual level and transmission within the community. Most transmissions occur between the onset of cough and initiation of treatment...
- Still too far to walk: literature review of the determinants of delivery service useSabine Gabrysch
Department of Epidemiology and Population Health, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London, UK
BMC Pregnancy Childbirth 9:34. 2009....
- Patients' help-seeking experiences and delay in cancer presentation: a qualitative synthesisLucy K Smith
Department of Health Sciences, University of Leicester, Leicester LE1 6TP, UK
Lancet 366:825-31. 2005..We undertook a qualitative synthesis of international research evidence to provide insight into patients' experiences of recognising symptoms of cancer and seeking help...
- Decreased motivation in the use of insecticide-treated nets in a malaria endemic area in Burkina FasoLéa Paré Toé
Institut de Recherche en Science de Santé Centre Muraz, BP 390, Bobo Dioulasso, Burkina Faso
Malar J 8:175. 2009..The reasons were a combination of the community representation of malaria, the perception of the effectiveness and usefulness of ITNs and also the manner in which households are organized by day and by night...
- Knee pain and osteoarthritis in older adults: a review of community burden and current use of primary health careG Peat
Primary Care Sciences Research Centre, Keele University, UK
Ann Rheum Dis 60:91-7. 2001..Osteoarthritis is the single most common cause of disability in older adults, and most patients with the condition will be managed in the community and primary care...
- Factors affecting home delivery in rural TanzaniaMwifadhi Mrisho
Ifakara Health Research and Development Centre, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Trop Med Int Health 12:862-72. 2007..This study combines an understanding of gender issues relating to health and help-seeking behaviour with epidemiological knowledge concerning place of delivery...
- Low male partner participation in antenatal HIV counselling and testing in northern Tanzania: implications for preventive programsS E Msuya
Department of International Health, University of Oslo, Norway
AIDS Care 20:700-9. 2008..Also, promotion of couple VCT outside antenatal settings in male friendly and accessible settings should be given priority...
- Utilization of maternal health services among young women in Kenya: insights from the Kenya Demographic and Health Survey, 2003Rhoune Ochako
African Population and Health Research Center APHRC, P, O, Box 10787, 00100 Nairobi, Kenya
BMC Pregnancy Childbirth 11:1. 2011....
- Acceptability of male circumcision for prevention of HIV/AIDS in sub-Saharan Africa: a reviewN Westercamp
Division of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, School of Public Health, University of Illinois at Chicago, 1603 W Taylor Street, MC 923, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
AIDS Behav 11:341-55. 2007..We recommend pilot interventions making safe circumcision services available in conjunction with current HIV prevention strategies and evaluating the safety and acceptability of circumcision...
- Project Accept (HPTN 043): a community-based intervention to reduce HIV incidence in populations at risk for HIV in sub-Saharan Africa and ThailandGertrude Khumalo-Sakutukwa
Center for AIDS Prevention Studies, University of California, San Francisco, 50 Beale Street, Suite 1300, San Francisco, CA 94105, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 49:422-31. 2008..Changing community norms to increase awareness of HIV status and reduce HIV-related stigma has the potential to reduce the incidence of HIV-1 infection in the developing world...
- Stigma in the HIV/AIDS epidemic: a review of the literature and recommendations for the way forwardAnish P Mahajan
UCLA Program in Global Health, University of California, Los Angeles, California 90024, USA
AIDS 22:S67-79. 2008..Based on the literature, we conclude by offering a set of recommendations that may represent important next steps in a multifaceted response to stigma in the HIV/AIDS epidemic...
- Healthcare-seeking behaviour for common infectious disease-related illnesses in rural Kenya: a community-based house-to-house surveyDeron C Burton
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 1600 Clifton Road NE, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
J Health Popul Nutr 29:61-70. 2011..Seeking healthcare at health facilities and hospitals varied by syndrome, severity of illness, and characteristics of the patient...
- Healthcare-use for major infectious disease syndromes in an informal settlement in Nairobi, KenyaRobert F Breiman
International Emerging Infections Program, CDC Kenya Medical Research Institute, Nairobi, Kenya
J Health Popul Nutr 29:123-33. 2011..The findings support community-based rather than facility-based surveillance in this setting to achieve objectives for comprehensive assessment of the burden of disease...
- Low use of rural maternity services in Uganda: impact of women's status, traditional beliefs and limited resourcesGrace Bantebya Kyomuhendo
Department of Women and Gender Studies, Makerere University, Kampala, Uganda
Reprod Health Matters 11:16-26. 2003....
- Health seeking behaviour and diagnosis for pulmonary tuberculosis in an HIV-epidemic mountainous area of ThailandJ Ngamvithayapong
TB HIV Research Project, The Research Institute of Tuberculosis, Japan Anti TB Association, Chiang Rai, Thailand
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 5:1013-20. 2001..Chiang Rai Hospital, Chiang Rai Province, the epicentre of the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) in Thailand...
- Patient delay in cancer studies: a discussion of methods and measuresRikke Sand Andersen
The Research Unit for General Practice, Institute of Public Health, University of Aarhus, Bartholins Alle 2, DK 8000 Aarhus C, Denmark
BMC Health Serv Res 9:189. 2009..This lack of a validated measure hampers research in patient delay and is counterproductive to efforts directed at securing early diagnosis of cancer...
- High ANC coverage and low skilled attendance in a rural Tanzanian district: a case for implementing a birth plan interventionMoke Magoma
Infectious Diseases Epidemiology Unit, Department of Epidemiology and Population, Health, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, Keppel Street, London WC1E 7HT, UK
BMC Pregnancy Childbirth 10:13. 2010..The perspectives of health care providers and traditional birth attendants on childbirth and the factors determining where women deliver were also investigated...
- Access to health care in contexts of livelihood insecurity: a framework for analysis and actionBrigit Obrist
Department of Public Health and Epidemiology, Swiss Tropical Institute, Basel, Switzerland
PLoS Med 4:1584-8. 2007
- Adoption, non-adoption, and abandonment of a personal electronic health record: case study of HealthSpaceTrisha Greenhalgh
Healthcare Innovation and Policy Unit, Centre for Health Sciences, Barts and the London School of Medicine and Dentistry, London E1 2AT, UK
BMJ 341:c5814. 2010....
- Predictors of HPV vaccine acceptability: a theory-informed, systematic reviewNoel T Brewer
Department of Health Behavior and Health Education, School of Public Health, University of North Carolina, 306 Rosenau Hall CB 7440, Chapel Hill, NC 27516, USA
Prev Med 45:107-14. 2007....
- Intermittent preventive treatment of malaria during pregnancy: a qualitative study of knowledge, attitudes and practices of district health managers, antenatal care staff and pregnant women in Korogwe District, North-Eastern TanzaniaGodfrey Mubyazi
National Institute for Medical Research, Ubwari Research Station, P O Box 81, Muheza, Tanzania
Malar J 4:31. 2005..This study assesses the knowledge, attitudes and practices of these groups in relation to malaria control with emphasis on IPTp services...
- Men and health help-seeking behaviour: literature reviewPaul M Galdas
School of Healthcare, University of Leeds, PO Box 214, Leeds LS2 9UT, West Yorkshire, UK
J Adv Nurs 49:616-23. 2005..This paper reviews the key research literature regarding men's health-related help seeking behaviour...
- Acceptability of evidence-based neonatal care practices in rural Uganda - implications for programmingPeter Waiswa
Makerere University School of Public Health, Kampala, Uganda
BMC Pregnancy Childbirth 8:21. 2008..A key concern is whether these internationally recommended practices are acceptable and will be demanded by the target community. We explored the acceptability of these interventions in two rural districts of Uganda...
- How stigma interferes with mental health carePatrick Corrigan
University of Chicago, Chicago, IL, USA
Am Psychol 59:614-25. 2004..Implications for the development of antistigma programs that might promote care seeking and participation are also reviewed...
- Treatment-seeking behaviour, cost burdens and coping strategies among rural and urban households in Coastal Kenya: an equity analysisJane Chuma
Kenya Medical Research Institute, Kilifi, Kenya
Trop Med Int Health 12:673-86. 2007....
- Increasing the acceptability of HIV counseling and testing with three C's: convenience, confidentiality and credibilityNicole Angotti
University of Texas at Austin, TX, USA
Soc Sci Med 68:2263-70. 2009..Our study suggests that attention to these factors in VCT strategies may mitigate the fear of HIV testing, and ultimately increase uptake in rural African settings...
- High acceptability of voluntary counselling and HIV-testing but unacceptable loss to follow up in a prevention of mother-to-child HIV transmission programme in rural Malawi: scaling-up requires a different way of actingM Manzi
Medecins Sans Frontieres Luxembourg, Thyolo District, Luxembourg, Malawi
Trop Med Int Health 10:1242-50. 2005..Thyolo District Hospital, rural Malawi...
- Opt-out HIV testing during antenatal care: experiences of pregnant women in rural UgandaElin C Larsson
Division of Global Health IHCAR, Department of Public Health Sciences, Karolinska Institutet, Nobelsv 9, 171 77, Stockholm, Sweden
Health Policy Plan 27:69-75. 2012..Moreover, to achieve the desired outcomes of the PMTCT programme, monitoring and evaluation should be built into the programme...
- When and how do young people seek professional help for mental health problems?Debra J Rickwood
School of Health Sciences, University of Canberra, Canberra, ACT, Australia
Med J Aust 187:S35-9. 2007..Increasingly, Internet-based information and interventions are being used to engage young people in the help-seeking process...
- Factors associated with uptake of vaccination against pandemic influenza: a systematic reviewAlison Bish
Department of Clinical, Educational and Health Psychology, University College London, 1 19 Torrington Place, London WC1E 7HB, UK
Vaccine 29:6472-84. 2011..A vaccination programme against H1N1 influenza was introduced in many countries from September 2009, but there was low uptake in both the general population and health professionals in many, though not all, countries...
- Intermittent screening and treatment versus intermittent preventive treatment of malaria in pregnancy: user acceptabilityLucy A Smith
Department of Infectious and Tropical Diseases, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London, WC1E 7HT, UK
Malar J 9:18. 2010..This paper reports on a complementary study investigating the acceptability of the different strategies to women enrolled in the trial...
- Comparison of home and clinic-based HIV testing among household members of persons taking antiretroviral therapy in Uganda: results from a randomized trialEric Lugada
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Uganda, Global AIDS Program, National Center for HIV, STD and TB Prevention, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Entebbe, Uganda
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 55:245-52. 2010..Due to high rates of undiagnosed and untreated HIV infection in Africa, we compared HIV counseling and testing (VCT) uptake among household members of patients receiving antiretroviral therapy...
- Social and cultural factors affecting uptake of interventions for malaria in pregnancy in Africa: a systematic review of the qualitative researchChristopher Pell
Centre de Recerca en Salut Internacional de Barcelona, Hospital Clínic Universitat de Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
PLoS ONE 6:e22452. 2011..This article provides a comprehensive overview of qualitative research on social and cultural factors relevant to uptake of MiP interventions in sub-Saharan Africa...
- Brief interventions for alcohol problems: a meta-analytic review of controlled investigations in treatment-seeking and non-treatment-seeking populationsAnne Moyer
Center for Health Care Evaluation, VA Palo Alto Health Care System and Stanford University Medical Center, Menlo Park, CA, USA
Addiction 97:279-92. 2002....
- Factors associated with use and non-use of mosquito nets owned in Oromia and Amhara regional states, EthiopiaCarol A Baume
AED, 1825 Connecticut Ave NW Washington, DC 20009, USA
Malar J 8:264. 2009..Many countries across sub-Saharan Africa are rapidly increasing insecticide-treated net (ITN) coverage to combat malaria, but systematic data on the use of those ITNs and the factors affecting this use are scarce...
- Improvements in access to malaria treatment in Tanzania following community, retail sector and health facility interventions -- a user perspectiveSandra Alba
Dept Epidemiology and Public Health, Swiss Tropical and Public Health Institute, Basel, Switzerland
Malar J 9:163. 2010..The effect of these interventions on understanding and treatment of malaria was studied in rural Tanzania. The data also enabled an investigation of the determinants of access to treatment...
- Perceived barriers and facilitators to mental health help-seeking in young people: a systematic reviewAmelia Gulliver
Centre for Mental Health Research, The Australian National University, Canberra, Australia
BMC Psychiatry 10:113. 2010....
- Effect of the Integrated Management of Childhood Illness strategy on childhood mortality and nutrition in a rural area in Bangladesh: a cluster randomised trialShams E Arifeen
International Centre for Diarrhoeal Disease Research, Bangladesh ICDDR, B, Dhaka, Bangladesh
Lancet 374:393-403. 2009..We assessed the effect of IMCI on health and nutrition of children younger than 5 years in Bangladesh...
- Low acceptability of A/H1N1 pandemic vaccination in French adult population: did public health policy fuel public dissonance?Michael Schwarzinger
INSERM, U912 Economic and Social Sciences, Health Systems and Societies, Marseille, France
PLoS ONE 5:e10199. 2010..In July 2009, French public health authorities embarked in a mass vaccination campaign against A/H1N1 2009 pandemic-influenza. We explored the attitudes and behaviors of the general population toward pandemic vaccination...
- Women's barriers to HIV-1 testing and disclosure: challenges for HIV-1 voluntary counselling and testingS Maman
Department of International Health, Johns Hopkins School of Hygiene and Public Health, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
AIDS Care 13:595-603. 2001..The implications of findings for the promotion of HIV-1 VCT programmes, the implementation of partner notification policies and the development of post-test support services are discussed...
- Feasibility and acceptability of artemisinin-based combination therapy for the home management of malaria in four African sitesIkeOluwapo O Ajayi
Malaria Research Laboratories, Institute of Medical Research and Training, College of Medicine, University of Ibadan, Nigeria
Malar J 7:6. 2008..The feasibility and acceptability of incorporating ACT in HMM needs to be evaluated...
- The acceptability of male circumcision to reduce HIV infections in Nyanza Province, KenyaR C Bailey
School of Public Health, University of Illinois at Chicago, USA
AIDS Care 14:27-40. 2002..Further studies are needed in other regions to assess the feasibility of introducing acceptable male circumcision information and services to reduce HIV transmission...
- The forgotten half of the equation: randomized controlled trial of a male invitation to attend couple voluntary counselling and testingBoshishi K F Mohlala
Department of Infectious Disease Epidemiology, Imperial College London, UK
AIDS 25:1535-41. 2011..Increased male participation in antenatal care and uptake of couple voluntary counselling and testing (VCT) for HIV could reduce horizontal and vertical HIV transmission in sub-Saharan Africa...
- Complementary and alternative medicine use in Australia: a national population-based surveyCharlie C L Xue
World Health Organization Collaborating Centre for Traditional Medicine, School of Health Sciences, Melbourne, Melbourne, Australia
J Altern Complement Med 13:643-50. 2007....
- Effectiveness of community based Safe Motherhood promoters in improving the utilization of obstetric care. The case of Mtwara Rural District in TanzaniaDeclare Mushi
Department of Community Health, Tumaini University Kilimanjaro Christian Medical Centre, P O Box, 2240, Moshi, Kilimanjaro, Tanzania
BMC Pregnancy Childbirth 10:14. 2010....
- Home-based voluntary HIV counselling and testing found highly acceptable and to reduce inequalitiesWilbroad Mutale
Department of Community Medicine, School of Medicine, University of Zambia, Lusaka, Zambia
BMC Public Health 10:347. 2010..We investigated the acceptability of home-based delivery of counselling and HIV testing in urban and rural populations in Zambia where VCT has been offered mostly from local clinics...
- Uptake of workplace HIV counselling and testing: a cluster-randomised trial in ZimbabweElizabeth L Corbett
Department of Infectious and Tropical Diseases, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London, United Kingdom
PLoS Med 3:e238. 2006..HIV counselling and testing is a key component of both HIV care and HIV prevention, but uptake is currently low. We investigated the impact of rapid HIV testing at the workplace on uptake of voluntary counselling and testing (VCT)...
- A randomized trial on acceptability of voluntary HIV counselling and testingKnut Fylkesnes
Centre for International Health, University of Bergen, Bergen, Norway
Trop Med Int Health 9:566-72. 2004..To examine factors affecting readiness for and acceptability of voluntary HIV counselling and testing (VCT)...
- Access to health: women's status and utilization of maternal health services in NepalSharad Kumar Sharma
Institute for Population and Social Research, Mahidol University, Thailand
J Biosoc Sci 39:671-92. 2007..Socioeconomic and demographic variables such as household economic status, number of living children and place of residence showed stronger association with use of maternal health services then did intervention programmes...
- Feasibility, acceptability and cost of home-based HIV testing in rural KenyaJoel Negin
School of Public Health, University of Sydney, Sydney, Australia
Trop Med Int Health 14:849-55. 2009..To demonstrate the feasibility, acceptability and cost of home-based HIV testing and to examine the applicability of the model to high HIV prevalence settings...
- Health seeking behaviour and health service utilization in Pakistan: challenging the policy makersBabar T Shaikh
Department of Community Health Sciences, Aga Khan University Karachi, Pakistan
J Public Health (Oxf) 27:49-54. 2005..Also a more concerted effort is required for designing behavioural health promotion campaigns through inter-sectoral collaboration focusing more on disadvantaged segments of the population...
- Reasons for loss to follow-up among mothers registered in a prevention-of-mother-to-child transmission program in rural MalawiL D Bwirire
Medecins Sans Frontieres, Thyolo District, Malawi
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 102:1195-200. 2008..Mothers attending antenatal services need to be better informed and supported, at both community and health-provider level...
- Effect of home-based HIV counselling and testing on stigma and risky sexual behaviours: serial cross-sectional studies in UgandaFred Nuwaha
School of Public Health, Makerere University College of Health Sciences, Kampala, Uganda
J Int AIDS Soc 15:17423. 2012....
- Effect of cardiac rehabilitation referral strategies on utilization rates: a prospective, controlled studySherry L Grace
School of Kinesiology and Health Sciences, Faculty of Health, York University, 368 Bethune, 4700 Keele St, Toronto, ON M3J 1P3, Canada
Arch Intern Med 171:235-41. 2011....
- Demographic, social cognitive and social ecological predictors of intention and participation in screening for colorectal cancerTess A Gregory
School of Psychology, University of Adelaide, Adelaide 5000, Australia
BMC Public Health 11:38. 2011..The aim of this study was to compare the social cognitive and social ecological predictors of intention to screen with predictors of participation...
- Trust in physicians and medical institutions: what is it, can it be measured, and does it matter?M A Hall
Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Department of Public Health Sciences, Medical Center Blvd, Winston Salem, NC 27157 1063, USA
Milbank Q 79:613-39, v. 2001..This conceptual and empirical understanding has significance for ethics, law, and public policy...
- Willingness to use HIV pre-exposure prophylaxis and the likelihood of decreased condom use are both associated with unprotected anal intercourse and the perceived likelihood of becoming HIV positive among Australian gay and bisexual menMartin Holt
National Centre in HIV Social Research, The University of New South Wales, Sydney NSW 2052, Australia
Sex Transm Infect 88:258-63. 2012..To investigate willingness to use HIV pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP) and the likelihood of decreased condom use among Australian gay and bisexual men...
- Male perspectives on incorporating men into antenatal HIV counseling and testingDavid A Katz
Department of Epidemiology, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington, USA
PLoS ONE 4:e7602. 2009..We aimed to identify methods for increasing male involvement in antenatal VCT and determine male correlates of accepting couple counseling in these settings...
- Feasibility and acceptability of home-based management of malaria strategy adapted to Sudan's conditions using artemisinin-based combination therapy and rapid diagnostic testKhalid A Elmardi
National Malaria Control Programme, Federal Ministry of Health, Khartoum, Sudan
Malar J 8:39. 2009..This research aimed to assess the feasibility and acceptability of home-based management of malaria (HMM) strategy using artemisinin-based combination therapy (ACT) for treatment and rapid diagnostic test (RDT) for diagnosis...
- Universal testing and treatment as an HIV prevention strategy: research questions and methodsRichard Hayes
MRC Tropical Epidemiology Group, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, Keppel Street, London WC1E 7HT, UK
Curr HIV Res 9:429-45. 2011..If these studies produce promising results, there would be a strong case for a cluster-randomised trial to measure the impact of a UTT intervention on HIV incidence, and we consider the main design features of such a trial...
- Modelling the effectiveness of chlamydia screening in EnglandK M E Turner
Health Protection Agency, Centre for Infections, 61 Colindale Ave, Colindale, London NW9 5EQ, UK
Sex Transm Infect 82:496-502. 2006..Mathematical models can incorporate these non-linear effects and estimate the likely impact of different screening programmes and identify areas where more data are needed...
- Utilization of public or private health care providers by febrile children after user fee removal in UgandaElizeus Rutebemberwa
Department of Health Policy Planning and Management, Makerere University School of Public Health, PO Box 7072, Kampala, Uganda
Malar J 8:45. 2009..The study aimed to assess determinants for use of government facilities or drug shops/private clinics for febrile illnesses in children under five...
- Uptake of home-based voluntary HIV testing in sub-Saharan Africa: a systematic review and meta-analysisKalpana Sabapathy
London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London, UK
PLoS Med 9:e1001351. 2012..Improving access to HIV testing is a key priority in scaling up HIV treatment and prevention services. Home-based voluntary counselling and testing (HBT) as an approach to delivering wide-scale HIV testing is explored here...
- Exploring provider and community responses to the new malaria diagnostic and treatment regime in Solomon IslandsRushika S Wijesinghe
The University of Queensland, School of Population Health, Pacific Malaria Initiative Support Centre, Australian Centre for International and Tropical Health, Brisbane, Australia
Malar J 10:3. 2011....
- Why do I need it? I am not at risk! Public perceptions towards the pandemic (H1N1) 2009 vaccineHolly Seale
School of Public Health and Community Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, The University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia
BMC Infect Dis 10:99. 2010..We surveyed a sample of residents from Sydney, Australia to ascertain their risk perception, attitudes towards the pandemic and willingness to accept the pandemic (H1N1) 2009 influenza vaccine...
- A qualitative study on the acceptability and preference of three types of long-lasting insecticide-treated bed nets in Solomon Islands: implications for malaria eliminationJo An Atkinson
Pacific Malaria Initiative Support Centre, School of Population Health SPH, University of Queensland, Brisbane, Australia
Malar J 8:119. 2009..Compliance with these interventions is dependent on their acceptability and on the socio-cultural context of the local population. These factors need to be investigated locally prior to programme implementation...
- Successful introduction of routine opt-out HIV testing in antenatal care in BotswanaTracy L Creek
Global AIDS Program, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 45:102-7. 2007..Uptake of antenatal HIV testing was low from 1999 through 2003. In 2004, Botswana's President declared that HIV testing should be "routine but not compulsory" in medical settings...
- Barriers to prompt and effective malaria treatment among the poorest population in KenyaJane Chuma
Kenya Medical Research Institute Wellcome Trust Research Programme, P, O Box, 230, Kilifi, Kenya
Malar J 9:144. 2010..This paper explores access barriers to effective malaria treatment among the poorest population in four malaria endemic districts in Kenya...
- Delayed care seeking for fatal pneumonia in children aged under five years in Uganda: a case-series studyKarin Kallander
Division of International Health, Department of Public Health Sciences, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Bull World Health Organ 86:332-8. 2008..To review individual case histories of children who had died of pneumonia in rural Uganda and to investigate why these children did not survive...
- High uptake of home-based, district-wide, HIV counseling and testing in UgandaELIODA TUMWESIGYE
Integrated Community Based Initiatives, Kabwohe, Uganda
AIDS Patient Care STDS 24:735-41. 2010..These results demonstrate that home-based HCT was well-accepted, feasible, and effective in identifying HIV-infected individuals who did not know their HIV status in rural Uganda...
- HPV vaccine acceptability in Ghana, West AfricaMaame Aba Coleman
Baylor College of Medicine, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Vaccine 29:3945-50. 2011..Cervical cancer is a leading cause of cancer-related mortality among women in Ghana. As of this writing no data are available concerning knowledge, attitudes and acceptability of human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccination by women in Ghana...
- Utilization of maternal health care services in Southern IndiaK Navaneetham
Asian MetaCentre for Population and Sustainable Development Analysis, Institute for Asian Research, National University of Singapore, AS7 Shaw Foundation Building, 117570, Singapore
Soc Sci Med 55:1849-69. 2002..The findings of this study provide insights for planning and implementing appropriate maternal health service delivery programs in order to improve the health and well-being of both mother and child...
- Prevalence of irritable bowel syndrome: a community surveySue Wilson
Department of Primary Care and General Practice, University of Birmingham, Edgbaston
Br J Gen Pract 54:495-502. 2004..Such patients may choose to re-consult with the advent of new therapies with a resulting impact on health services...
- Acceptability of male circumcision and predictors of circumcision preference among men and women in Nyanza Province, KenyaC L Mattson
Division of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, School of Public Health, University of Illinois at Chicago, 1603 W Taylor Street, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
AIDS Care 17:182-94. 2005....
- Uptake of HIV voluntary counselling and testing services in rural Tanzania: implications for effective HIV prevention and equitable access to treatmentAlison Wringe
Department of Epidemiology and Population Health, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London, UK
Trop Med Int Health 13:319-27. 2008..To describe the associations between socio-demographic, behavioural and clinical characteristics and the use of HIV voluntary counselling and testing (VCT) services among residents in a rural ward in Tanzania...
- Health care-seeking practices of pregnant women and the role of the midwife in Cape Town, South AfricaN Abrahams
Gender and Health Research Group, Medical Research Council, Tygerberg, Cape Town, South Africa
J Midwifery Womens Health 46:240-7. 2001..The findings highlight the importance of women's perceptions of quality of care in influencing their health seeking practices. The study suggests that considerably more attention needs to be given to this aspect of maternity services...
- Using the three delays model to understand why newborn babies die in eastern UgandaPeter Waiswa
Division of Global Health, Department of Public Health Sciences, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Trop Med Int Health 15:964-72. 2010..A survey was conducted in 16 health facilities to determine capacity for newborn care...
- The 2009-2010 influenza pandemic: effects on pandemic and seasonal vaccine uptake and lessons learned for seasonal vaccination campaignsGregory A Poland
Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Vaccine 28:D3-13. 2010..This article explores what has been learned about cross-cultural responses to pandemic influenza, and seeks to apply those lessons to seasonal influenza immunization programs...
- Development of an international questionnaire to measure use of complementary and alternative medicine (I-CAM-Q)Sara A Quandt
Department of Epidemiology and Prevention, Division of Public Health Sciences, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston Salem, NC 27157 1063, USA
J Altern Complement Med 15:331-9. 2009....
- Barriers to accessing TB diagnosis for rural-to-urban migrants with chronic cough in Chongqing, China: a mixed methods studyQian Long
School of Public Health, Chongqing Medical University, No 1 Yixueyuan Road, Chongqing, PR China
BMC Health Serv Res 8:202. 2008....
- Voluntary counselling and testing: uptake, impact on sexual behaviour, and HIV incidence in a rural Zimbabwean cohortLorraine Sherr
Royal Free Hospital, University College London, UK
AIDS 21:851-60. 2007..To examine the determinants of uptake of voluntary counselling and testing (VCT) services, to assess changes in sexual risk behaviour following VCT, and to compare HIV incidence amongst testers and non-testers...
- Results from the first three rounds of the Scottish demonstration pilot of FOBT screening for colorectal cancerR J C Steele
Department of Surgery, University of Dundee, Dundee, UK
Gut 58:530-5. 2009..To assess the effects of the first three rounds of a pilot colorectal screening programme based on guaiac faecal occult blood testing (gFOBT) and their implications for a national population-based programme...
- Beyond symptom recognition: care-seeking for ill newborns in rural GhanaAlessandra N Bazzano
London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, University of London, London, UK, and College of Health Sciences, Touro University, Vallejo, CA, USA
Trop Med Int Health 13:123-8. 2008..To assess newborn care-seeking practices in a rural area of Ghana where most births take place at home in order to inform potential strategies for reducing newborn mortality...
- Health-seeking patterns among participants of population-based morbidity surveillance in rural western Kenya: implications for calculating disease ratesGodfrey Bigogo
Center for Global Health Research, Kenya Medical Research Institute, PO Box 1578 40100, Kisumu, Kenya
Int J Infect Dis 14:e967-73. 2010..We describe temporal patterns in health care seeking by syndrome as part of population-based morbidity surveillance in rural western Kenya...
- Overcoming barriers to HIV testing: preferences for new strategies among clients of a needle exchange, a sexually transmitted disease clinic, and sex venues for men who have sex with menFreya Spielberg
University of Washington, Seattle, WA, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 32:318-27. 2003..To determine strategies to overcome barriers to HIV testing among persons at risk...
- Acceptance of and barriers to voluntary HIV counselling and testing among adults in Guizhou province, ChinaWei Ma
National Center for AIDS STD Control and Prevention, Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Beijing, China
AIDS 21:S129-35. 2007....
- Gender, socioeconomic development and health-seeking behaviour in BangladeshS M Ahmed
BRAC Research anid Evaluation Division, BRAC Centre, Dhaka, Bangladesh
Soc Sci Med 51:361-71. 2000..The policy and programmatic implications of between group and gender differences in care seeking are discussed with reference to the literature...
- Use of insecticide treated nets by pregnant women and associated factors in a pre-dominantly rural population in northern EthiopiaMebrahtom Belay
UNICEF Country Office, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Trop Med Int Health 13:1303-13. 2008..To describe the use of insecticide treated nets (ITNs) among pregnant women and examine factors associated with its access and use...
- Factors that are associated with parental acceptance of human papillomavirus vaccines: a randomized intervention study of written information about HPVAmanda F Dempsey
Robert Wood Johnson Clinical Scholars Program, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington, USA
Pediatrics 117:1486-93. 2006....
- Voluntary HIV counselling and testing among men in rural western Uganda: implications for HIV preventionFrancis M Bwambale
Clinical Epidemiology Unit, Makerere University, POBox 7072, Kampala, Uganda
BMC Public Health 8:263. 2008..We therefore conducted a study to determine the prevalence and factors associated with VCT use among men in Bukonzo West health sub-district, Kasese district...
- Scaling up stigma? The effects of antiretroviral roll-out on stigma and HIV testing. Early evidence from rural TanzaniaM Roura
Centre for Population Studies, Department of Epidemiology and Population Health, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London, UK
Sex Transm Infect 85:308-12. 2009..To investigate the interplay between antiretroviral therapy (ART) scale-up, different types of stigma and Voluntary Counselling and Testing (VCT) uptake 2 years after the introduction of free ART in a rural ward of Tanzania...
- A qualitative analysis of South African women's knowledge, attitudes, and beliefs about HPV and cervical cancer prevention, vaccine awareness and acceptance, and maternal-child communication about sexual healthShelley A Francis
The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
Vaccine 29:8760-5. 2011..Prevention strategies should also consider the cultural context and the role that grandmothers play in the family unit...
- Patients seeking care from acupuncture practitioners in the UK: a national surveyHugh MacPherson
Foundation for Traditional Chinese Medicine, York, UK
Complement Ther Med 14:20-30. 2006..Our secondary aim was to compare the profiles of acupuncture patients with those of a patient survey undertaken in 1988...
- Factors influencing the use of maternal healthcare services in EthiopiaYared Mekonnen
Ethio Netherlands AIDS Research Project, Ethiopian Health and Nutrition Research Institute, PO Box 1242, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
J Health Popul Nutr 21:374-82. 2003..However, this cannot detract from the relevance of service-related factors, especially in the rural areas of the country...
- Web-based self-help for problem drinkers: a pragmatic randomized trialHeleen Riper
Trimbos Institute, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Addiction 103:218-27. 2008..Self-help interventions for adult problem drinkers in the general population have proved effective. The question is whether this also holds for self-help interventions delivered over the internet...
- Pre-travel health advice-seeking behavior among US international travelers departing from Boston Logan International AirportRegina C LaRocque
Division of Infectious Diseases, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA 02114, USA
J Travel Med 17:387-91. 2010..Despite this, data about sources of health information used by international travelers are limited...
- Effect of repeated invitations on uptake of colorectal cancer screening using faecal occult blood testing: analysis of prevalence and incidence screeningR J C Steele
Department of Surgery, University of Dundee, UK
BMJ 341:c5531. 2010..To analyse the effects of prevalence and incidence screening on uptake and detection of cancer in an ongoing, dynamic programme for colorectal screening using faecal occult blood testing...
- Utilization of health facilities and trained birth attendants for childbirth in rural Bangladesh: an empirical studyBimal Kanti Paul
Department of Geography, Kansas State University, Manhattan 66506, USA
Soc Sci Med 54:1755-65. 2002..We conclude that quick response to delivery complications and improved access to hospitals and TTBAs can reduce the risk of infant and maternal mortality and morbidity in rural Bangladesh...
- HPV vaccine acceptability among Kenyan womenSylvia Becker-Dreps
Department of Family Medicine, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, USA
Vaccine 28:4864-7. 2010..Most women (95%, 95% confidence interval [CI]: 92%, 99%), however, were willing to have their daughters vaccinated with a vaccine that would prevent cervical cancer, with preference for an inexpensive vaccine requiring fewer doses...
- BIOSYNTHESIS OF TRACHEAL MUCOUS GLYCOPROTEINSPi Wan Cheng; Fiscal Year: 2010..Current studies could facilitate the development of therapy for mucus hypersecretory diseases through identification of small carbohydrate inhibitors and mucus cell-specific promoter. ..
- Folate and S-adenosyimethionine in Methyl Group and One-carbon MetabolismConrad Wagner; Fiscal Year: 2012....
- Electron Transfer in Iron and Copper ProteinsJay R Winkler; Fiscal Year: 2013..Efforts will focus on oxidative generation of Compounds I and II in cytochromes P450 (Aim 3) and a bacterial enzyme that exhibits NOS-like reactivity (Aim 4). ..
- Development of Novel LANCL2-based Anti-diabetic CompoundsJOSEP BASSAGANYA; Fiscal Year: 2013..3 million estimated to be over $12.5 Billion for prescription medication costs alone annually in the US. ..
- Biosynthetic Protein Models of Heme-copper Oxidases and Nitric Oxide ReductasesYi Lu; Fiscal Year: 2013..Therefore the work will make important contributions to healthcare, as it will provide a molecular basis for understanding two enzymes important to human health. ..
- Complement Activation on Neisseria meningitidisSanjay Ram; Fiscal Year: 2013..The studies proposed in this application will help us better understand how this pathogen escapes killing by complement and will ultimately aid in the development of better vaccines against meningococcal meningitis. ..
- Role of ABCG1 in lipid homeostasis, inflammation and innate immunityELIZABETH JOANNA TARLING; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Phosphorylation Events During Sperm CapacitationPABLO EDUARDO VISCONTI; Fiscal Year: 2013..Accomplishment of these goals will lead to novel insights in clinical diagnosis of male infertility and provide tools for evaluating pharmacological contraceptive targets. ..
- Targeting of alpha7 nAChR for therapeutic effectsRoger L Papke; Fiscal Year: 2013..We will use our new discoveries about how these drugs work to help make alpha7-stimulating drugs optimally designed to treat specific diseases. ..
- TERPENE CONDENSATION REACTIONSCHARLES POULTER; Fiscal Year: 2009..This approach can also be used to regio- and chemoselectively attach proteins to other molecules, and offers a new approach for synthesis of clinically useful protein-polyethylene glycol conjugates. ..
- Role of mucin-type O-glycosylation in Trypanosoma cruzi biologyChristopher M West; Fiscal Year: 2012....
- Homogenous HTS Assays to Screen for Inhibitors of Keap1-Nrf2 InteractionLongqin Hu; Fiscal Year: 2010..Specific and potent Keap1-Nrf2 inhibitors will be useful as important pharmacological probes for the elucidation of cytoprotective pathways and as potential cancer chemopreventive agents in high risk populations. ..
- Targeting the Foam Cell to Prevent AtherosclerosisANTONIO PAUL; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Nano-Antioxidants as a Therapeutic for Preclinical Models of NAFLDRobia G Pautler; Fiscal Year: 2013..The rationale for the proposed work is that a mechanistic understanding of oxidative stress on NAFLD pathologies will lay the foundation for viable therapeutic approaches. ..
- Hepatic Cholesteryl Ester Metabolism and Cholesterol EliminationShobha Ghosh; Fiscal Year: 2013..Aim 4: To obtain in vivo "proof of concept" by liver-specific targeted disruption of CEH in mice and to determine its effect on intracellular CE metabolism and atherosclerosis. ..
- Enhanced Provision of Male Circumcision for HIV Prevention, Rakai, UgandaRonald H Gray; Fiscal Year: 2013..The impact of MC on HIV incidence, cost-effectiveness and enhanced modeling (Aim 3) will provide data on population prevention of HIV through MC, for policy and program development. ..
- Enhancing Kidney Donation Through Live Organ Video Educated Donors (LOVED)Frank A Treiber; Fiscal Year: 2013..These experiences will foster increased efficacy and motivation to complete the LDKT process as a patient or donor. ..
- Integration of redox-balancing mechanisms in Pseudomonas aeruginosa biofilmsLars Dietrich; Fiscal Year: 2013..aeruginosa integrates environmental cues to support growth and survival in a crowded structure may be broadly applicable to many bacterial pathogens and have the potential to inform future therapeutic considerations. ..
- Assembly of bacterial cytoplasmic protein complexes measured by LRETROBERT D RENTHAL; Fiscal Year: 2013..This information will aid future targeting of these structures to weaken the pathogenic effects of enterobacteria. ..
- Sulfur Assimilation Pathway: New Antifungal TargetsGEORGE ROBERT NEWPORT; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Characterization of redox-mediated protein in mitochondriaSONYA ELINA NEAL; Fiscal Year: 2013..This proposal will provide insight into fundamental pathways in mitochondrial assembly that are impaired in the disease state. ..
- Assembly Line Biosynthesis of Bacterial SiderophoresFRED L HEFFRON; Fiscal Year: 2012..These approaches will likely lead to the exploration of new avenues in the process of siderophore biosynthesis and virulence in bacteria. ..
- ApoE and SR-BI as Determinants of HDL and Macrophage Function in AtherogenesisMacrae F Linton; Fiscal Year: 2010..New insights into the roles of apoE and SR-BI as determinants of the anti-atherogenic functions of HDL cholesterol and macrophage cholesterol homeostasis and apoptosis may lead to new therapeutic approaches for atherosclerosis. ..
- Characterizing a novel hemophore from pathogenic and non-pathogenic mycobacteria.LISA M MCMATH; Fiscal Year: 2010..We have shifted this paradigm, as we have identified a novel iron acquisition pathway whereby iron is obtained via the uptake of human heme, opening up new avenues for anti-TB drug development. ..
- Assay for GI Drug DiscoveryLID WONG; Fiscal Year: 2012..These novel assays will also provide unparallel insights in the ionic cellular signal transduction mechanisms that heretofore not been possible. ..
- Mechanisms of Copper TransportNinian J Blackburn; Fiscal Year: 2013..These studies will lead to a better understanding of the molecular basis of copper trafficking and will aid in combating diseases of aberrant copper homeostasis. ..
- Hoogsteen base pairing in human DNA polymerase iotaSatya Prakash; Fiscal Year: 2010..abstract_text> ..
- MODULATION OF T LYMPHOCYTE REGULATIONChristian LeGuern; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- Evaluation of Web-Based CBT for Rape VictimsHeather Littleton; Fiscal Year: 2013..Finally, because the treatment involves structured modules, it can rapidly be disseminated and adopted in the field. ..
- Circumcision: HIV/STIs and behaviors in a RCT and post-RCT surveillance;RakaiRonald H Gray; Fiscal Year: 2011..We thus propose to assess the long term individual and community effects of circumcision. In this proposal, we request funds for follow-up of NIH trial participants. RCCS participants will be supported by other funding. ..
- Establishing the Molecular Basis of Glycoconjugate GlycosylationJames Prestegard; Fiscal Year: 2013..The information will be essential in extrapolating molecular level specificities to action of enzyme-based reagents in vivo. ..
- Functional Analysis of a Digestive-Tract Microbiome During Dietary ChangesPieter T Visscher; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Solution-Phase Automated Synthesis of OligosaccharidesNicola L Pohl; Fiscal Year: 2010..g. mucopolysaccharidosis). This proposal will develop methods for the first rapid automated assembly of oligosaccharides in solution for use in medical diagnostics and basic science studies. ..
- Adherent Invasive E. coli and colitisANDREAS J BAUMLER; Fiscal Year: 2013..coli in the gut lumen. ..
- PhotoMorph3 and PhotoPS3 - Novel Light-Activated Antisense AgentsJohn A Zebala; Fiscal Year: 2010..We now aim to further develop and commercialize a new generation of photoactivatable chemicals for doing this (PhotoMorph3.0" and PhotoPS3.0") that we believe will offer important advantages over others. ..
- PLATELET ACTIVATING FACTOR DEPENDENT TRANSACETYLASESTEN CHING LEE; Fiscal Year: 1999..Obtaining such information could ultimately be used to modify some of the adverse biological consequences elicited by PAF. ..
- GTP IN PHOSPHOLIPASE ACTIVATION AND INSULIN RELEASESTEWART METZ; Fiscal Year: 2000..Such findings may have applicability to the understanding of endocrine secretion in general and, ultimately, to hypersecretory states such as diabetes mellitus, specifically. ..
- SPECTROSCOPIC STUDIES OF ENZYME/SUBSTRATE COMPLEXESGeorge Reed; Fiscal Year: 2007..The transient-phase kinetic approach with isotopes will provide new insight into the mechanism of the hydrogen atom abstraction steps in the catalytic cycle. ..
- Molecular Mechanism and In Vivo Study of ER Associated DegradationLenka Kundrat; Fiscal Year: 2012..Because many diseases have been attributed to the accumulation of misfolded proteins, the proposed experiments are relevant to numerous diseases. ..
- Discovery of A-beta Oligomer Antagonists via 3D Pharmacophore Space AnalysisCHRISTIAN ALEXANDER LANG; Fiscal Year: 2012..The outcome of this study will be new drug leads to potentially treat and prevent AD at different stages of cognitive decline and neurodegeneration. ..
- Validating NT17 Dependent Mechanisms in Huntington's Disease SuppressionXiangdong William Yang; Fiscal Year: 2013..Our study may provide novel therapeutic insights based on the NT17 domain and its interacting proteins to ameliorate nuclear mhtt toxicity and prevent the onset of movement disorder and neurodegeneration in HD. ..
- RCT of a Novel Oral Contraceptive Initiation MethodCarolyn Westhoff; Fiscal Year: 2004..We will also assess dual method use for STD prevention in the study to adoption of and adherence to oral contraceptives. We will also assess dual method use for STD prevention in the study population. ..
- OUTER MEMBRANE CYTOCHROMES--TOPOLOGY AND FUNCTIONCharles Myers; Fiscal Year: 2002..They will also contribute to environmental health by expanding our knowledge on the mechanisms by which manganese, iron, and various heavy metals are mobilized into water supplies. ..
- Structural Studies on Cytochromes P450 and Related ProteinsTHOMAS LEWIS POULOS; Fiscal Year: 2013..Especially important is the role played by P450s in drug metabolism, cancer, and the biosynthesis of critical steroid intermediates and antibiotics. ..
- ASSEMBLY OF A MEMBRANE-BOUND MULTI-ENZYME COMPLEXJOHN DE MOSS; Fiscal Year: 1993....
- Structure and function of family 1 glycosyltransferasesR Garavito; Fiscal Year: 2006..Mixing hybrid enzyme design with combinatorial biosynthesis could provide practical ways to produce new glycoconjugates of biomedical importance. ..
- PID IN IUD VS INJECTABLE CONTRACEPTIVE USERS PILOT STUDYPaul Feldblum; Fiscal Year: 2001..The applicant must detect evidence of moderate STD prevalence and PID incidence in the cohorts. ..
- BIOTINIDASE AND ITS ROLE IN BIOTIN METABOLISMBarry Wolf; Fiscal Year: 1999..In addition, the proposed research will provide a better understanding of the role of biotinidase in biotin metabolism and will be a paradigm for understanding the metabolism of other vitamins. ..
- Study Of Mycobacterial Galactan Biosynthesis By Chemoenzymatic Substrate AssemblyMario A Martinez Farias; Fiscal Year: 2013..These studies will clarify the role of GlfT1 in galactan assembly. We shall then probe GlfT2 polymerization with the products of GlfT1 catalysis. ..
- Molecular Characterization of Aquifer Microbial Communi*Kate Scow; Fiscal Year: 2004..We will conduct studies in microcosms and across pollutant gradients (of BTEX, BTEX + MTBE or ethanol) at a field site containing a petroleum spill (with BTEX and MTBE) at Vandenberg Air Force Base in CA. ..
- TESTICULAR STEROIDOGENESIS IN SELECTED MODELSGLORIA CALLARD; Fiscal Year: 1992..Studies in this laboratory show the feasibility of using animal models outside the range of common laboratory species to advance materially our understanding of testicular endocrinology...
- EFFECT OF LASER RADIATION ON PERIODONTOPATHIC BACTERIACLAY HENRY; Fiscal Year: 1990....
- HUMAN FUCOSYLTRANSFERASE STRUCTURE/FUNCTION ANALYSISEric Holmes; Fiscal Year: 2001....
- FAMILIAL ALS--MECHANISM OF INITIATIONDale Bredesen; Fiscal Year: 1999....
- PHASE-RESOLVED FLUORESCENCE STUDIES OF PROTEIN DYNAMICSPATRICIA O HARA; Fiscal Year: 1993..Again, energy transfer studies such as those described above will be used to give insight into the dynamics of this dramatic conformational change. ..
- Nitrate respiration by Salmonella during gut inflammationSebastian E Winter; Fiscal Year: 2013..e. that the evolution of Salmonella may be driven by making new nutrients such as anaerobic respiratory electron acceptors available in the inflamed gut, thus boosting transmission success. ..
- Novel Alkylglycosides with Anti-Diabetic ActivityNICHOLAS CAIRNS; Fiscal Year: 2005..Testing of the Alkylmaltosides as Substrates for the Glycogen Biosynthetic Enzymes 4. Determine the Effects of the Most Active O- and/or S-Alkylmaltosides on Blood Glucose and Glucose tolerance in the ob/ob Mouse Model. ..
- A FRET-based assay to measure dynamic changes in RyR1 structureJAMES FESSENDEN; Fiscal Year: 2009..This technique will open the door for further structural measurements of RyR1 to determine how disease-causing mutations alter the structure of the channel. ..
- BACTERIORHODOPSIN CHROMOPHORE STRUCTURE BY DEUTERIUM NMRMAARTEN HEYN; Fiscal Year: 1999..An investigation of the analogous steps in the M intermediate of bR is expected to contribute to an understanding of the mechanism of activation of rhodopsin in visual signal transduction. ..
- MECHANISTIC STUDIES OF PROKARYOTIC MANNOSYLTRANSFERASESJON THORSON; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- CELLULAR ACTION OF ALKYLGLYCOSIDES AS GLYCOGEN PRIMERSElias Meezan; Fiscal Year: 2000..These studies may have therapeutic implications for modulating the disposal of glucose in diabetes. ..
- STUDIES ON RHODOPSIN & AGE-RELATED MACULAR DEGENERATIONKoji Nakanishi; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- ULTRAPOTENT PARS INHIBITOR FOR CARDIOPROTECTIONJohn van Duzer; Fiscal Year: 2000..PROPOSED COMMERCIAL APPLICATIONS: The annual anticipated revenue for an effective therapeutic to prevent and treat myocardial reperfusion injury is estimated at > $1 billion in the US per annum. ..