Genomes and Genes
weights and measures
Summary: A unit or standard of measurement. (Random House Unabridged Dictionary, 2d ed)
Publications468 found, 100 shown here
- A drink is a drink? Variation in the amount of alcohol contained in beer, wine and spirits drinks in a US methodological sampleWilliam C Kerr
Alcohol Research Group, Public Health Institute, Berkeley, CA, USA
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 29:2015-21. 2005..Empirically based estimates of the mean alcohol content of beer, wine and spirits drinks from a national sample of US drinkers are not currently available...
- Units of measure in clinical information systemsG Schadow
Regenstrief Institute for Health Care and Indiana University, Indianapolis 46202 2859, USA
J Am Med Inform Assoc 6:151-62. 1999..The authors therefore developed a code for units that is much more complete and free from ambiguities...
- New scores for the Category Test: measures of interference for subtests 5 and 6Jeffrey S Webster
Department of Veteran Affairs Medical Center, Long Beach, CA 90822, USA
Clin Neuropsychol 20:678-94. 2006..In addition, we have evidence that our new measures may be selectively sensitive to frontal system dysfunction...
- Validity and reliability of an inpatient severity of psychiatric illness measureBentson H McFarland
Department of Psychiatry, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland OR 97239, USA
Int J Methods Psychiatr Res 14:102-8. 2005..The measure is appropriate for retrospective severity assessment and may also be useful for pre-admission screening...
- Neurocognitive functioning is associated with employment status: a quantitative reviewA D Kalechstein
Department of Psychiatry and Biobehavioral Sciences, UCLA School of Medicine, Los Angeles, CA 90024, USA
J Clin Exp Neuropsychol 25:1186-91. 2003..These findings support the ecological validity of neurocognitive assessment...
- Intra-individual measures of association in neuropsychology: inferential methods for comparing a single case with a control or normative sampleJohn R Crawford
Department of Psychology, King s College, University of Aberdeen, Aberdeen, UK
J Int Neuropsychol Soc 9:989-1000. 2003..Worked examples of the statistical methods are provided using data from a clinical case and controls. A computer program (for PCs) that implements the methods is described and made available...
- The random number generation task: psychometric properties and normative data of an executive function task in a mixed sampleMaarten Peters
Department of Experimental Psychology, Maastricht University, Maastricht, The Netherlands
J Int Neuropsychol Soc 13:626-34. 2007..It primarily taps executive subfunctions (i.e., inhibition, updating, and monitoring), which are affected by psychopathological or neurological deficits...
- Behavioral Dyscontrol Scale-Electronic Version: first examination of reliability, validity, and incremental utilityYana Suchy
University of Utah, Department of Psychology, Salt Lake City, UT 84112 0251, USA
Clin Neuropsychol 19:4-26. 2005..Overall, the results demonstrate the feasibility of converting the BDS into an electronic instrument and support continued research and development of this instrument...
- Development of WAIS-III General Ability Index Minus WMS-III memory discrepancy scoresRael T Lange
Riverview Hospital, Department of Research, Coquitlam, BC, Canada
Clin Neuropsychol 20:382-95. 2006..e., stratified and non-stratified). These tables provide valuable data for clinical reference purposes to determine the frequency of GAI-IMI, GAI-GMI, and GAI-DMI discrepancy scores in the WAIS-III/WMS-III standardization sample...
- Explicit and objective scoring criteria for the taylor complex figure testNesrine Awad
School of Psychology, University of Ottawa, 145 Jean Jacques Lussier, Ottawa, Ont, Canada K1N 6N5 6N5
J Clin Exp Neuropsychol 26:405-15. 2004..The present study also reveals the limitations of the use of the Taylor and the Rey in test-retest situations but suggests that administering the Taylor first would improve the comparability of the two figures in a test-retest situation...
- Quantitative MR analyses of the hippocampus: unspecific metabolic changes in agingAndras Szentkuti
Dept of Neurology II, Otto von Guericke University, Leipziger Str 44, 39120, Magdeburg, Germany
J Neurol 251:1345-53. 2004..The metabolic changes are unspecific as they are not restricted to the hippocampus but equally occur in measures obtained from extrahippocampal temporal lobe regions...
- Number processing and calculation--normative data from healthy adultsM Delazer
Universitätsklinik für Neurologie, Innsbruck, Austria
Clin Neuropsychol 17:331-50. 2003..The battery is easy to administer and does not require special materials or equipment...
- The development and preliminary validation of a brief measure of chronic pain impact for use in the general populationLinda S Ruehlman
Department of Psychology, Arizona State University, Box 871104, Tempe, AZ 85287, USA
Pain 113:82-90. 2005..In view of its strong psychometric properties, the PCP:S has the potential to serve as a brief, cost-effective assessment tool for identifying individuals whose chronic pain merits more detailed psychosocial evaluation...
- Comparison of adult age differences in verbal and visuo-spatial memory: the importance of 'pure', parallel and validated measuresEva Kemps
School of Psychology, Flinders University, Adelaide, Australia
J Clin Exp Neuropsychol 28:341-56. 2006..They also emphasize the importance of using 'pure', parallel and validated measures of verbal and visuo-spatial memory in memory ageing research...
- Planning abilities and the Tower of London: is this task measuring a discrete cognitive function?J M Unterrainer
Department of Psychology, Neuropsychology, University of Freiburg, Freiburg, Germany
J Clin Exp Neuropsychol 26:846-56. 2004..These result suggest that the Tower of London assesses predominantly planning and problem solving and could not be explained by other cognitive domains...
- Fractionating impulsivity: contrasting effects of central 5-HT depletion on different measures of impulsive behaviorCatharine A Winstanley
Department of Experimental Psychology, University of Cambridge, Cambridge, UK
Neuropsychopharmacology 29:1331-43. 2004..However, not all measures of impulsivity appear to be uniformly affected by 5-HT depletion, or correlate with each other, supporting the suggestion that impulsivity is not a unitary construct...
- Comparison of quality of life measures in heart failureSusan J Bennett
Indiana University School of Nursing, 1111 Middle Drive, Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
Nurs Res 52:207-16. 2003..Although numerous health-related quality-of-life instruments are available to measure patients' quality of life, few studies have compared these measures directly to determine how they function in the same group of patients...
- The Montgomery Asberg and the Hamilton ratings of depression: a comparison of measuresThomas J Carmody
Department of Psychiatry, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, 5323 Harry Hines Blvd Dallas, TX 75390 9086, United States
Eur Neuropsychopharmacol 16:601-11. 2006..An HRSD(17) of 7 corresponded to an 8 or 9 on the MADRS and 4 on the HRSD(6). The MADRS would be superior to the HRSD(17) in the conduct of clinical trials...
- Functional activities characteristics of shoulder complex movements: Exploration with a 3-D electromagnetic measurement systemJiu Jenq Lin
School of Physical Therapy, Texas Woman s University, Houston, TX, USA
J Rehabil Res Dev 42:199-210. 2005..62 to 0.50, p < 0.05). Correlation results indicated that elderly subjects have a greater potential for serratus anterior muscle weakness and shoulder capsule tightness...
- Developing two different measures for assessing knowledge of and attitudes toward epilepsy for the Turkish populationNuran Aydemir
Department of Psychology, Istanbul University, Istanbul, Turkey
Epilepsy Behav 12:84-9. 2008..31% of the variance. Cronbach's alpha was found to be 0.84. Additionally, it was found that subjects with more knowledge of epilepsy had more positive attitudes toward epilepsy (r = .36, P<0.01)...
- Developing a measure to assess attitudes toward epilepsy in the US populationColleen A Diiorio
Department of Behavioral Sciences and Health Education, Rollins School of Public Health, Emory University, Atlanta, GA, USA
Epilepsy Behav 5:965-75. 2004..The results of these analyses provided evidence for reliability and construct validity of the instrument. Additional tests of the reliability, validity, and factor structure of the scales are necessary to refine the instrument...
- Impairments in precision grip correlate with functional measures in adult hemiplegiaMichelle N McDonnell
Research Centre for Human Movement Control, Discipline of Physiology, School of Molecular and Biomedical Science, The University of Adelaide, Adelaide, SA 5005, Australia
Clin Neurophysiol 117:1474-80. 2006..Analysis of a precision grip-lift task provides measures to assess functional disability of the hand, but the correlation between these measures and accepted tests of motor function in stroke patients has not been established...
- Suppressed working memory on the WMS-III as a marker for poor effortRael T Lange
Riverview Hospital, Coquitlam, British Columbia, Canada
J Clin Exp Neuropsychol 28:294-305. 2006..These results suggest that memory-WMI discrepancy scores on the WMS-III do not provide clinically useful information regarding response set and should be used cautiously as an indicator of poor effort...
- Reliability and gender differences of static explosive grip parameters based on force-time curvesS Demura
Department of Physical Education, Kanazawa University, Kanazawa, Japan
J Sports Med Phys Fitness 43:28-35. 2003..The purpose of this study was to examine the reliability and gender differences of static explosive grip (SEG) parameters based on force-time curves...
- Victoria Symptom Validity Test scores of patients with profound memory impairment: nonlitigants case studiesDaniel J Slick
Department of Psychology, British Columbia s Children s Hospital, Vancouver, BC, Canada
Clin Neuropsychol 17:390-4. 2003..These data add to the literature suggesting that the VSVT is insensitive to genuine neurologically-based memory impairment and provide an additional floor-level clinical benchmark against which to compare the performance of litigants...
- Relations between cognitive abilities and measures of executive functioningTimothy A Salthouse
University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA 22904, USA
Neuropsychology 19:532-45. 2005..These results raise questions about the extent to which neuropsychological tests of executive functioning measure a distinct dimension of variation in normal adults...
- Measuring the executive regulation of emotion with self-rating scales in a nonclinical populationMarcello Spinella
Division of Social and Behavioral Sciences, Richard Stockton College of New Jersey, PO Box 195, Pomona, NJ 08240 0195, USA
J Gen Psychol 134:101-11. 2007..The findings corroborated those of other methodologies, supporting the Frontal Systems Behavior Scale (FrSBe) as a valid tool to measure prefrontal function in nonclinical populations...
- Psychometrically matched measures of global cognition, memory, and executive function for assessment of cognitive decline in older personsDan Mungas
Department of Neurology, School of Medicine, University of California, Davis, Sacramento 95817, USA
Neuropsychology 17:380-92. 2003..Association of measures with quantitative structural magnetic resonance imaging variables followed expected patterns. This approach to scale development may have applications for other neuropsychological assessment problems...
- Rating scale for psychogenic movement disorders: scale development and clinimetric testingVanessa K Hinson
Department of Neurosciences, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, South Carolina, USA
Mov Disord 20:1592-7. 2005..The PMD scale adequately captures the complex movements of PMDs and can be used to assess PMDs and test the efficacy of intervention strategies...
- Comparing patients' predicted test scores from a regression equation with their obtained scores: a significance test and point estimate of abnormality with accompanying confidence limitsJohn R Crawford
School of Psychology, University of Aberdeen, Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Neuropsychology 20:259-71. 2006..Monte Carlo simulations confirm the validity of the methods, and computer programs that implement them are described and made available...
- Patient-validated content of a Greek version of the Quality of Life in Epilepsy Inventory (QOLIE-89) combined with individualized measuresSocrates Panayides
Institute of Psychiatry, London, UK
Epilepsy Behav 5:367-79. 2004....
- Psychometric properties of the Hurricane Coping Self-Efficacy measure following Hurricane KatrinaAmanda D Hyre
Department of Epidemiology, Tulane University, New Orleans, Lousiana, USA
J Nerv Ment Dis 196:562-7. 2008..The HCSE measure exhibited excellent internal consistency, external validity and repeatability after Hurricane Katrina...
- Beyond alpha: an empirical examination of the effects of different sources of measurement error on reliability estimates for measures of individual differences constructsFrank L Schmidt
Department of Management and Organizations, Henry B Tippie College of Business, University of Iowa, Iowa City 52242, USA
Psychol Methods 8:206-24. 2003..J. Cronbach, 1951), which fails to assess transient error, leads to overestimates of reliability and undercorrections for biases due to measurement error...
- [Weighing precision of filters used in dust measurements: repeatability and reproducibility]Grazyna Stroszejn-Mrowca
Zakład Srodowiskowych Zagrozeń Zdrowia, Pracownia Aerozoli, Instytutu Medycyny Pracy im prof dra med I Nofera w Lodzi
Med Pr 57:257-62. 2006..It should be emphasized that the weighing precision decides about the precision of measured inhaled and respirable dust concentrations...
- Inter- and intraoperator reliability of brain tissue measures using magnetic resonance imagingGaku Okugawa
Dept of Neuropsychiatry, Kansai Medical University, 10 15 Fumizonocho Moriguchi, Osaka 570 8506, Japan
Eur Arch Psychiatry Clin Neurosci 253:301-6. 2003..971 and 0.999. The segmentation and measurement are useful for volumetric studies in the human brain using BRAINS...
- Metric attributes of the unified Parkinson's disease rating scale 3.0 battery: part II, construct and content validityMaria João Forjaz
Neuroepidemiology Unit, National Center for Epidemiology, Carlos III Institute of Health, Madrid, Spain
Mov Disord 21:1892-8. 2006..3% (UPDRS Motor Examination). In conclusion, while the modified H&Y, S&E, and UPDRS displayed satisfactory construct validity, the content validity of all scales except UPDRS Motor Examination failed to attain adequate standards...
- Accuracy and repeatability of weighing for occupational hygiene measurements: results from an inter-laboratory comparisonPeter Stacey
Health and Safety Laboratory, Broad Lane, Sheffield S3 7HQ, UK
Ann Occup Hyg 46:693-9. 2002..These data are useful in estimating the likely accuracy of measurements from a laboratory where good analytical practices exist...
- Rule-of-thumb adjustment of sample sizes to accommodate dropouts in a two-stage analysis of repeated measurementsJohn E Overall
University of Texas Health Science Center, Houston, USA
Int J Methods Psychiatr Res 15:1-11. 2006....
- Number processing after stroke: anatomoclinical correlations in oral and written codesEugene Mayer
Neuropsychology Unit, Neurological Clinic, Geneva University Hospital, Switzerland
J Int Neuropsychol Soc 9:899-912. 2003..These results stress the close correlation, but relative independence between calculation and language, as well as a dissociated sensitivity of oral and digital processing to brain lesions...
- Quantitative measurement of cortical surface features in localization-related temporal lobe epilepsyTemitayo Oyegbile
Department of Neurology, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI 53792, USA
Neuropsychology 18:729-37. 2004..g., surface cerebral spinal fluid). These findings are related to the literature regarding morphometric changes associated with temporal lobe epilepsy and normal aging...
- Numbers and space: a cognitive illusion?Maria Dolores de Hevia
Dipartimento di Psicologia, Universita degli Studi Milano Bicocca, Edificio U6 Piazza dell Ateneo Nuovo, 1, 20126, Milano, Italy
Exp Brain Res 168:254-64. 2006..This seems to operate in a categorical fashion ("small/large"), and to be congruent with the assumption that relatively large numbers are associated with the right side of a mental representational space...
- Prenatal alcohol exposure assessment: multiple embedded measures in a prenatal questionnaireLarry Burd
North Dakota Fetal Alcohol Syndrome Center, School of Medicine and the Health Sciences, University of North Dakota, 501 N Columbia Road, Grand Forks, ND 58203, USA
Neurotoxicol Teratol 25:675-9. 2003..The data from prenatal care can also be used for maternal risk stratification. Early identification can provide opportunity for early interventions to decrease total exposure during pregnancy and to improve the outcome for the child...
- A similarity measure for case based reasoning modeling with temporal abstraction based on cross-correlationFlorian Hartge
Institute for Medical Biometry and Informatics, Department Medical Informatics, Im Neuenheimer Feld 400, D 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
Comput Methods Programs Biomed 81:41-8. 2006..Such an approach might help to considerably reduce the problem of false alarms which hampers most existing alerting systems for medication errors or impending ADEs...
- Self-defense and martial arts evaluation for college women: preliminary validation of perceptions of dangerous situations scalePatricia Paulsen Hughes
Department of Health and Human Performance, Oklahoma State University, Stillwater 74078, USA
Res Q Exerc Sport 74:153-64. 2003..Reliability was established through alpha coefficients. The PDSS, when used with university women, offers promising measurement opportunities in self-defense and martial arts settings...
- Test-retest reliability of lifting and carrying in a 2-day functional capacity evaluationM F Reneman
Center for Rehabilitation, University Hospital Groningen, P O Box 30002, 9750 RA Haren, The Netherlands
J Occup Rehabil 12:269-75. 2002..It was concluded that test-retest reliability of lifting and carrying was good, and the need for a 2-day protocol could not be confirmed...
- Clinical gait and balance scale (GABS): validation and utilizationMadhavi Thomas
Parkinson s Disease Center and Movement Disorders Clinic, Department of Neurology, Baylor College of Medicine, 6550 Fannin Street no 1801, Houston, TX 77030, USA
J Neurol Sci 217:89-99. 2004..We have shown concurrent validity with two computerized gait analysis instruments. We expect GABS to have a particular utility in clinical trials designed to modify functional impairment associated with abnormalities in gait and balance...
- Retinal thickness analysis(RTA): an objective method to assess and quantify the retinal thickness in healthy controls and in diabetics without diabetic retinopathyPeter Fritsche
Department of Ophthalmology, VU University Medical Center, 1007 MB Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Retina 22:768-71. 2002..Since it has been shown that photocoagulation is indicated in patients with diabetic macular edema, quantitative and objective assessment of retinal thickness is of clinical importance...
- Mechanical force spinal manipulation increases trunk muscle strength assessed by electromyography: a comparative clinical trialStephen M Perle
J Manipulative Physiol Ther 25:345; author reply 345-7. 2002
- COMFORT scale: a reliable and valid method to measure the amount of stress of ventilated preterm infantsJ M Wielenga
Neonatology Department, Academic Medical Centre Emma Children s Hospital, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Neonatal Netw 23:39-44. 2004..Assessment of clinimetric properties and diagnostic quality of a stress measurement scale (COMFORT scale)...
- Building a better quality measure: are some patients with 'poor quality' actually getting good care?Eve A Kerr
VA Center for Practice Management and Outcomes Research, VA Ann Arbor Healthcare System, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48113, USA
Med Care 41:1173-82. 2003....
- Ketamine and postoperative pain--a quantitative systematic review of randomised trialsNadia Elia
EBCAP Institute Evidence Based Critical care, Anaesthesia and Pain treatment, Division of Anaesthesiology, Geneva University Hospitals, 24 Rue Micheli du Crest, CH 1211 Geneva 14, Switzerland
Pain 113:61-70. 2005..49 (95%CI 0.18-12.6), NNH 286. Despite many published randomised trials, the role of ketamine, as a component of perioperative analgesia, remains unclear...
- Evaluation of a clinical performance assessment tool (CPAT) within a critical care contextFenella Gill
Paediatric Intensive Care Unit, Princess Margaret Hospital, Perth, WA
Aust Crit Care 19:105-13. 2006..However, the link with the ACCCN competencies remains evident, and this indirectly further supports the utility of having nationally agreed standards for professional practice within specialty areas...
- Further development and validation of the Occupational Fatigue Exhaustion Recovery (OFER) scalePeter C Winwood
School of Psychology, University of South Australia
J Occup Environ Med 48:381-9. 2006..Refinement of the Occupational Fatigue Exhaustion Recovery (OFER) scale...
- Translation and validation of the Breastfeeding Self-Efficacy Scale into ChineseXiaona Dai
Zhejiang University s Sir Run Run Shaw Hospital, Hangzhou, China
J Midwifery Womens Health 48:350-6. 2003..The results from this study are the first to examine the psychometric characteristics of the Chinese version BSES administered in a hospital postnatally and provide further evidence of the reliability and validity of the instrument...
- A cross-validation of safety climate scale using confirmatory factor analytic approachDong Chul Seo
Department of Applied Health Science, Indiana University, HPER 116, 1025 E 7th Street, Bloomington 47405 7109, USA
J Safety Res 35:427-45. 2004....
- Sensorimotor memory and grip force control: does grip force anticipate a self-produced weight change when drinking with a straw from a cup?Dennis A Nowak
Department of Neurology and Clinical Neurophysiology and Clinical Neuropsychology Research Group, Academic Hospital Munchen Bogenhausen, Technical University of Munich, Munich, Germany
Eur J Neurosci 18:2883-92. 2003..Our data support the hypothesis that the sensorimotor system planning and processing predictive fingertip force can operate independently of higher-level cognitive and perceptual systems...
- Independence between the amount and structure of variability at low force levelsJacob J Sosnoff
Department of Kinesiology, The Pennsylvania State University, USA
Neurosci Lett 392:165-9. 2006..Overall, the findings provide evidence that the amount and structure of motor variability can be influenced by separate control processes at low force levels...
- Asymmetry of the discrimination function for temporal durations in human subjectsJiri Wackermann
Department of Empirical and Analytical Psychophysics, Institute for Frontier Areas of Psychology and Mental Health, Freiburg i Br, Germany
Acta Neurobiol Exp (Wars) 66:245-54. 2006..Model-based estimates of the internal time representation loss rate, derived from the present data, are in a good agreement with values obtained from earlier studies on duration reproduction...
- Neonatal behavioral assessment scale as a predictor of later developmental disabilities of low birth-weight and/or premature infantsShohei Ohgi
Department of Preventive Medicine and Health Promotion, Nagasaki University School of Medicine, 1 12 4 Sakamoto, Nagasaki 852 8523, Japan
Brain Dev 25:313-21. 2003..The NBAS could help clinicians to develop a management protocol for infants at risk for developmental disabilities as well as to identify neonates at risk of developmental disabilities...
- A comparison of AME and CR100 for scaling perceived exertionElisabet Borg
Department of Psychology, Stockholm University, Sweden
Acta Psychol (Amst) 109:157-75. 2002..ANOVA showed that CR100 could make the predicted differentiation between sexes, whereas AME could not. This drawback with AME was also found when using the methods to predict working capacity...
- Approximate quantities and exact number words: dissociable systemsCathy Lemer
INSERM U562, Neuroimagerie Cognitive Service Hospitalier Frédéric Joliot, CEA DRM DSV, 4 Place du General Leclerc, 91401 Cedex, Orsay, France
Neuropsychologia 41:1942-58. 2003..As predicted by a verbal deficit, the second patient was more impaired in multiplication than in subtraction, had intact approximation abilities, and showed preserved processing of non-symbolic numerosities...
- Information and force level interact in regulating force output during two and three digit grip configurationsJacob J Sosnoff
Department of Kinesiology, The Pennsylvania State University, 266 Recreation Hall University Park, PA 16802, USA
Exp Brain Res 167:76-85. 2005..The shift from visual to nonvisual dominated motor control processes is dependent on the interaction of informational and biomechanical degrees of freedom...
- Evaluation of a two-generation reproduction toxicity study adding endpoints to detect endocrine disrupting activity using vinclozolinIkuo Matsuura
Kashima Laboratory, Mitsubishi Chemical Safety Institute Ltd, 14 Sunayama, Kamisu shi, Ibaraki 314 0255, Japan
J Toxicol Sci 30:163-188. 2005..In addition, decreased epididymis weights at weaning and morphological abnormalities of the external genitalia, including cleft prepuce, penile hypoplasia, and vaginal pouch, were seen in F1 and F2 males at 1000 ppm...
- Cognitive and academic consequences of bronchopulmonary dysplasia and very low birth weight: 8-year-old outcomesElizabeth J Short
Department of Psychology, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
Pediatrics 112:e359. 2003..To examine the effects of bronchopulmonary dysplasia (BPD) and very low birth weight (VLBW) on the cognitive and academic achievement of a large sample of 8-year-old children...
- [Functional capacity (dyspnea) and quality of life in patients with chronic obstructive lung disease (COPD): instruments of assessment and methodological aspects]B O Hütter
Neurochirurgische Klinik, Universitätsklinikum der Rheinisch Westfälischen Technischen Hochschule RWTH Aachen
Pneumologie 53:133-42. 1999..Many methodological and conceptual questions remain unanswered in the field indicating a strong need for more research...
- Benefits of bilateral electrical stimulation with the nucleus cochlear implant in adults: 6-month postoperative resultsRoland Laszig
HNO Klinik Universität Freiburg, HNO Klinik Medizinische Hochschule Hannover, Germany
Otol Neurotol 25:958-68. 2004....
- [Use of antidepressant drugs in schizophrenic patients with depression]J Micallef
CPCET et Pharmacologie Clinique, Institut des Neurosciences Cognitives de la Méditerranée, Faculte de Medecine, UMR 6193, CNRS, Universite de la Mediterranee, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Marseille, Hopital de la Timone, 13385 Marseille Cedex 5
Encephale 32:263-9. 2006..The prevalence of this disorder varies according to the type of approach used (range between 7% to 75%). Prescription of antidepressants plus antipsychotic treatment is frequent in clinical practice (11 to 43%)...
- Differential impact of recent Medicaid expansions by race and ethnicityA D Racine
Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Children s Hospital at Montefiore, Bronx, New York 10461, USA
Pediatrics 108:1135-42. 2001..The objective of this study was to examine, by race/ethnicity, the impact of the recent Medicaid expansions on levels of uninsured individuals, health care service utilization, and health status of the targeted groups of children...
- Correlation of findings in advanced MR techniques with global severity scales in patients with some grade of cognitive impairmentNicolas Fayed
Department of Radiology, Quiron Hospital, Paseo Mariano Renovales s n, Zaragoza 50006, Spain
Neurol Res 32:157-65. 2010....
- Evaluation of a two-generation reproduction toxicity study adding endpoints to detect endocrine disrupting activity using lindaneIkuo Matsuura
Kashima Laboratory, Mitsubishi Chemical Safety Institute Ltd, 14 Sunayama, Kamisu shi, Ibaraki 314 0255, Japan
J Toxicol Sci 30:135-161. 2005..The postnatal survival rate in F2 offspring was decreased due to lack of maternal behavior in dams at 300 ppm...
- Factors associated with implementation of preventive care measures in patients with diabetes mellitusD A Streja
Section of Endocrinology of Greater Los Angeles, VA Health Care System at West Los Angeles and the Disease State Management Unit of Community Medical Group of the West Valley, Calif, USA
Arch Intern Med 159:294-302. 1999..There is only limited information on the extent to which physicians' characteristics affect the level of care and implementation of guidelines in patients with diabetes mellitus...
- Neck Disability Index, short form-36 physical component summary, and pain scales for neck and arm pain: the minimum clinically important difference and substantial clinical benefit after cervical spine fusionLeah Y Carreon
Norton Leatherman Spine Center, 210 East Gray St, Suite 900, Louisville, KY 40202, USA
Spine J 10:469-74. 2010..The minimum clinically important difference (MCID) is a threshold of improvement that is clinically relevant to the patient. However, the true goal is to provide the patient with a substantial clinical benefit (SCB)...
- The ICF and postsurgery occupational therapy after traumatic hand injuryHélène Fitinghoff
Department of Neurobiology, Care Sciences and Society, Division of Occupational Therapy, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Int J Rehabil Res 34:79-88. 2011....
- Landscape-scale distribution and persistence of genetically modified oilseed rape (Brassica napus) in Manitoba, CanadaAlexis L Knispel
Environmental Conservation Lab, Clayton H Riddell Faculty of Environment, Earth and Resources, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Environ Sci Pollut Res Int 17:13-25. 2010..Our objective was to examine the long-term dynamics of escaped OSR at large spatial scales and to assess the relative importance of landscape and localised factors to the persistence and spread of these plants outside of cultivation...
- A disease-specific measure of health-related quality of life in adults with chronic immune thrombocytopenic purpura: psychometric testing in an open-label clinical trialSusan D Mathias
Ovation Research Group, San Francisco, CA 94105, USA
Clin Ther 29:950-62. 2007..A previous study reported preliminary evidence of its reliability and validity...
- [Injuries among children and adolescents (1-17 years) and implementation of safety measures. Results of the nationwide German Health Interview and Examination Survey for Children and Adolescents (KiGGS)]H Kahl
Robert Koch Institut, Berlin, BRD
Bundesgesundheitsblatt Gesundheitsforschung Gesundheitsschutz 50:718-27. 2007..Prevention activities in traffic should focus on families with low social status. Adolescents should be specifically and adequately addressed regarding the benefits of certain safety measures when riding a bicycle and when skating...
- Systematic review of measures of clinical significance employed in randomized controlled trials of drugs for dementiaFrank J Molnar
Ottawa Health Research Institute, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
J Am Geriatr Soc 57:536-46. 2009..A preliminary organizational framework of measures of clinical significance is presented in this article to facilitate the work of such a consensus forum...
- Are overreferrals on developmental screening tests really a problem?F P Glascoe
Department of Pediatrics, College of Medicine, The Pennsylvania State University, 25 Bragg Dr, East Berlin, PA 17316, USA
Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 155:54-9. 2001..This is thought to produce unnecessary referrals for diagnostic testing or special services and increase the cost of screening programs...
- Comparison of pure-tone audiometry analysis in sudden hearing loss studies: lack of agreement for different outcome measuresStefan K Plontke
Department of Otorhinolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery and Tübingen Hearing Research Center THRC, University of Tubingen, Tubingen, Germany
Otol Neurotol 28:753-63. 2007..Different methods of pure-tone audiometry analysis in sudden hearing loss studies show a lack of agreement with respect to outcome, and the choice of outcome measure influences sample size calculation...
- Anterior cervical discectomy and fusion with implantable titanium cage: initial impressions, patient outcomes and comparison to fusion with allograftDouglas B Moreland
Buffalo Neurosurgery Group, 550 Orchard Park Road, Buffalo, NY 14224, USA
Spine J 4:184-91; discussion 191. 2004..One of these devices is the titanium Rabea cage (Signus, Alzenau, Germany) [correction]. There are no peer-reviewed objective reports on the use of these cages in cervical discectomy...
- High-resolution magnetic resonance imaging: three-dimensional trabecular bone architecture and biomechanical propertiesS Majumdar
Magnetic Resonance Science Center, Department of Radiology, University of California, San Francisco 94143 1290, USA
Bone 22:445-54. 1998..Further studies are clearly warranted to establish the role of architecture in predicting overall bone quality, and the role of trabecular architecture measures in clinical practice. (ABSTRACT TRUNCATED)..
- [The French adaptation of the STAXI-2, C.D. Spielberger's State-trait anger expression inventory]X Borteyrou
Equipe de psychologie de la santé, laboratoire de psychologie EA 3662, université Bordeaux 2 Victor Segalen, 3 ter, Place de la Victoire, Bordeaux Cedex, France
Encephale 34:249-55. 2008..Finally, we confirmed the factor structure of the original anger expression scale without gender differences. Some practical and theoretical perspectives for the use of the French adaptation of the STAXI-2 are suggested...
- Dysautonomia rating scales in Parkinson's disease: sialorrhea, dysphagia, and constipation--critique and recommendations by movement disorders task force on rating scales for Parkinson's diseaseMarian L Evatt
Section of Movement Disorders, Department of Neurology, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia 30329, USA
Mov Disord 24:635-46. 2009..Further scale testing in PD among the scales that focus on these symptoms is warranted, and no new scales are needed until the available scales are fully tested clinimetrically...
- Rehabilitation of older patients: day hospital compared with rehabilitation at home. A randomised controlled trialS G Parker
Sheffield Institute for Studies on Ageing, University of Sheffield, UK
Health Technol Assess 13:1-143, iii-iv. 2009..To test the hypotheses that older people and their informal carers are not disadvantaged by home-based rehabilitation (HBR) relative to day hospital rehabilitation (DHR) and that HBR is less costly...
- Standardizing emergency department-based migraine research: an analysis of commonly used clinical trial outcome measuresBenjamin W Friedman
Department of Emergency Medicine, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, NY, USA
Acad Emerg Med 17:72-9. 2010..The second part of the analysis assessed how sensitive to true efficacy each outcome measure was by calculating sample size requirements based on results observed in previously conducted clinical trials...
- It is likely that the risk of cardiovascular events from pharmaceuticals as COX-2 inhibitors can be reduced significantly by standard pharmaceutical and lifestyle preventative measuresH R Hellstrom
Med Hypotheses 67:1333-7. 2006....
- Interactive processes link the multiple symptoms of fatigue in sport competitionAxel J Knicker
German Sport University Cologne, Institute for Movement and Neurosciences, Cologne, Germany
Sports Med 41:307-28. 2011..Based on this understanding, we reinforce the proposal that fatigue is best described globally as an exercise-induced decline of performance as this is inclusive of all viewpoints...
- [Evaluation of the impact of peripheral obliterative arteriopathy on quality of life]P Marquis
Mapi Values, Lyon, France
Drugs 56:25-35. 1998..The ARTEMIS questionnaire can therefore assist clinicians in their choice of therapeutic strategy and in the evaluation of treatment efficacy...
- Breastfeeding or breast milk for procedural pain in neonatesP S Shah
University of Toronto, Department of Paediatrics and Department of Health Policy, Management and Evaluation, Rm 775A, 600 University Avenue, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5G 1XB
Cochrane Database Syst Rev 3:CD004950. 2006..Nonpharmacological measures (such as holding, swaddling, breastfeeding) and pharmacological measures (such as acetaminophen, sucrose and opioids) have been used for this purpose...
- The clinical effectiveness and cost of repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation versus electroconvulsive therapy in severe depression: a multicentre pragmatic randomised controlled trial and economic analysisD M McLoughlin
Section of Old Age Psychiatry, Institute of Psychiatry, London, UK
Health Technol Assess 11:1-54. 2007..To investigate if repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation (rTMS) was as effective as electroconvulsive therapy (ECT) in treating major depressive episodes and to perform a cost-effectiveness analysis...
- Optimising outcome assessment of voice interventions, II: Sensitivity to change of self-reported and observer-rated measuresI N Steen
Institute of Health and Society, Newcastle University, UK
J Laryngol Otol 122:46-51. 2008..The aim of this study was to assess the responsiveness to change of a range of different measures, following voice therapy and surgery...
- Autonomic nervous system overactivity in men with lower urinary tract symptoms secondary to benign prostatic hyperplasiaKevin T McVary
Department of Urology, Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University Chicago, Illinois 60611, USA
J Urol 174:1327-433. 2005..We investigated the relationship of ANS activity to LUTS as well as to objective measures of BPH in men with BPH...
- Connecting stuttering management and measurement: V. Deduction and induction in the development of stuttering treatment outcome measures and stuttering treatmentsMark Onslow
Australian Stuttering Research Centre, University of Sydney, Lidcombe, NSW, Australia
Int J Lang Commun Disord 41:407-21. 2006..The development of evidence-based practice, which is increasingly popular in stuttering treatment, is closely linked to the development of outcome measures...
- Objective monitoring of nasal patency and nasal physiology in rhinitisRobert A Nathan
Asthma and Allergy Associates, 2709 North Tejon, Colorado Springs, CO 80907, USA
J Allergy Clin Immunol 115:S442-59. 2005..The techniques are insufficiently standardized to be applied to multicenter clinical trials but could be used in limited-center studies to gain insight into the regulatory effects of different therapeutic modalities...
- Effect of feed restriction on Hershberger and pubertal male assay endpointsM Sue Marty
Toxicology and Environmental Research and Consulting, Dow Chemical Company, Midland, Michigan 48674, USA
Birth Defects Res B Dev Reprod Toxicol 68:363-74. 2003..Because chemical treatment may affect growth rate, the relationship between body weight and reproductive/ASG weights was examined using feed restriction (FR) to produce a targeted 10% decrease in body weight...
- Electrodermal measures of Jing-Well points and their clinical relevance in endometriosis-related chronic pelvic painAndrew C Ahn
Division for Research and Education in Complementary and Integrative Medical Therapies, Harvard Medical School, 401 Park Drive Suite 22A West, Boston, MA 02215, USA
J Altern Complement Med 15:1293-305. 2009..To determine whether electrodermal measures at Jing-Well acupuncture points, "indicator" points located at the tips of fingers and toes are associated with clinical measures in adolescent women with chronic pelvic pain...
- Reliability analysis for manual adolescent idiopathic scoliosis measurementsTimothy R Kuklo
Spine Surgery, Department of Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation, Walter Reed Army Medical Center, Washington, DC, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 30:444-54. 2005..Manual radiographic measurement analysis...
- A systematic review of relations between neighborhoods and mental healthKhoa D Truong
Pardee RAND Graduate School, Santa Monica, CA 90405, USA
J Ment Health Policy Econ 9:137-54. 2006..The relationship between neighborhood characteristics and resident mental health has been widely investigated in individual studies in recent years, but this literature is not adequately reviewed...
- Additional therapy for young children with spastic cerebral palsy: a randomised controlled trialA M Weindling
School of Reproductive and Developmental Medicine, University of Liverpool, UK
Health Technol Assess 11:iii-iv, ix-x, 1-71. 2007..To investigate whether, in the short and medium term, additional support by (a) a physiotherapy assistant improved physical function in young children with spastic cerebral palsy and (b) a family support worker improved family functioning...
- Nonlinear measures of respiration: respiratory irregularity and increased chaos of respiration in patients with panic disorderVikram Kumar Yeragani
Department of Psychiatry, Wayne State University School of Medicine, Detroit, Mich, USA
Neuropsychobiology 46:111-20. 2002..In this study, we used these measures of respiration to compare normal controls (n = 18) and patients with panic disorder (n = 22) in addition to the traditional time domain measures of respiratory rate and tidal volume...
- The SF-36 Arthritis-Specific Health Index (ASHI): I. Development and cross-validation of scoring algorithmsJ E Ware
Health Assessment Lab, Health Institute, New England Medical Center, Boston, MA 02111, USA
Med Care 37:MS40-50. 1999....
- STATISITICAL DESIGN, MONITORING &COORD. OF VISION CLINICAL TRIALS &EPIDEMIOLOGYKeri Hammel; Fiscal Year: 2012..Also, there will be a measurement of pressure in the eye and thickness of the cornea. To study patients'DNA, the researchers will obtain a bloo..
- STATISITICAL DESIGN, MONITORING &COORD. OF VISION CLINICAL TRIALS &EPIDEMIOLOGYKeri Hammel; Fiscal Year: 2013..Also, there will be a measurement of pressure in the eye and thickness of the cornea. To study patients'DNA, the researchers will obtain a bloo..
- Understanding/ Treating Neuropsychiatric Symptoms of Pediatric Physical IllnessEva Szigethy; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- Discovery metabolite profiling of the prolyl peptidasesAlan Saghatelian; Fiscal Year: 2009..Furthermore, the application of DMP to peptidases will demonstrate the generality of this approach for the future characterization of medically relevant enzymes and signaling pathways. ..
- Genetic variation and regulatory networks: Mechanisms and complexityDANA PE ER; Fiscal Year: 2009..These tools will be made publicly available, including a friendly graphical user interface and visualization. ..
- Novel TIRF microscopy analyzing trafficking & signaling at the cell cortexDerek Toomre; Fiscal Year: 2009..Consistent with the recovery act's goal, this funding will provide full-time summer employment for 4 undergraduate students and accelerate scientific achievement of the parent DP2 award...
- High Throughput Genotyping and DNA Sequencing for Studying the Genetic ContributiSonia Dua; Fiscal Year: 2013..The contractor is responsible for providing staff with the credentials required by CLIA. ..
- Vaccine Development for Falciparum Malaria in Pregnant Women and Their OffspringIan C Michelow; Fiscal Year: 2013..Candidate vaccine proteins will be screened, confirmed and selected for clinical trials using pioneering molecular tools and blood samples from pregnant African women and their infants. ..
- Bone Deficits and Excess Adiposity after Pediatric Bone Marrow TransplantationSogol Mostoufi-Moab; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Hypothalamic Orexin Role in Menopause-Associated Hot Flashes and Mood/Sleep DisruPHILIP LEE JOHNSON; Fiscal Year: 2013..This will allow me to make significant contributions to our knowledge of the neural and neurochemical mechanisms that lead to hot flashes and to identify potential novel nonhormonal targets for treatment. ..
- Correction of glutathione deficiency for treatment of diabetic nephropathyPaolo Fanti; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Brain Activation responses in adolescents with genetic predisposition to obesitySusan Carnell; Fiscal Year: 2011..The results may lead to new drugs and interventions to improve eating behavior, and help establish unbiased indicators of obesity risk and prognosis for use in research and clinical settings. ..
- Iron-mediated vascular disease in sickle cell disease.John C Wood; Fiscal Year: 2010..This proposal represents an essential first step in the design of a subsequent clinical trial to improve vascular function in SCD patients. ..
- Effective treatment of sleep apnea in prediabetes to reduce cardiometabolic riskEsra Tasali; Fiscal Year: 2010..The results of this research may provide a better understanding of ways to prevent and/or treat diabetes and its cardiovascular complications for millions of Americans. ..
- A Hybrid PARP Inhibitor and Redox Catalyst for Lung TransplantationGARRY JOHN SOUTHAN; Fiscal Year: 2012..At present there are no approved prophylactic measures. We are developing a novel drug that targets the basic mechanisms of this condition and will test this agent in a clinically-relevant animal model. ..
- Effects of Evoked Resistance Training and Testosterone after Spinal Cord InjuryAshraf Gorgey; Fiscal Year: 2012..The completion of the proposed experiment will allow the candidate to compete as an independent research investigator. ..
- Retinoid and Carotenoid Depletion in Patients at High-Risk for Liver CancerPeter H Gann; Fiscal Year: 2010..Before we can properly design prevention trials with the right intervention, the right target population and the right endpoints, we need preliminary studies for guidance, such as we have proposed. ..
- Prospective studies of cancer etiology and prevention in Shanghai and SingaporeJian Min Yuan; Fiscal Year: 2013..The findings of the proposed study will have great impact on reducing incidence and mortality of lung and liver cancers in humans. ..
- Ang II and Overnutrition and Insulin resistance in Cardiovascular TissueJAMES RUSSELL SOWERS; Fiscal Year: 2013..A better understanding of factors involved in insulin resistance should help in the development of therapeutic targets to help prevent diabetes and cardiovascular disease. ..
- Pituitary dysfunction, behavioral symptoms, and quality of life after blast mTBICHARLES WILLIAM WILKINSON; Fiscal Year: 2012..abstract_text> ..
- Neurobehavioral Correlates of Familial/genetic obesity risk in adolescentsSusan Carnell; Fiscal Year: 2013..abstract_text> ..
- Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons and birth outcomes in Mexico CityMARIE SYLVIA O'NEILL; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Response to and signals of caloric restriction and intermittent feeding regimensMARC KOPEL HELLERSTEIN; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- A Redox-active PARP Inhibitor for Lung TransplantationANDREW LURIE SALZMAN; Fiscal Year: 2012..At present there are no approved prophylactic measures. We are developing a novel drug that targets the basic mechanisms of this condition and will test this agent in two clinically-relevant animal models. ..
- Behavioral Activation Therapy for Rural Veterans with Diabetes and DepressionAanand Dinkar Naik; Fiscal Year: 2013..As therapists are all advanced psychology graduate students, it is unclear whether individuals without such previous training can implement the intervention. This may hamper implementation efforts. ..
- Comparative Resistance Exercise Effects on Knee Osteoarthritis Pain, Functional IKEVIN ROBERT VINCENT; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- METABOLIC SYNDROME AND PERIODONTITIS IN POSTMENOPAUSAL WOMENMichael J LaMonte; Fiscal Year: 2013..The existing resources for this secondary data analysis provide an unprecedented cost- efficient opportunity to build on established work and expand knowledge in this important area of public health. ..
- Chronic nicotine and synaptic transmission in brainstem respiratory neuronsRALPH FRANK FREGOSI; Fiscal Year: 2013..It is therefore crucial to begin establishing the mechanisms that lead to abnormal development of the brainstem neurons that regulate these critical homeostatic functions. ..
- Hybrid Optical/Doppler Imaging of Ischemia in NEC - a multicenter trialDavid A Benaron; Fiscal Year: 2010..If successful, the health benefit will be large, as it is estimated that treating NEC alone (not including treating its later complications) adds $650 million to the annual health bill. ..
- Mucosal Immunity, Vaccines and Microbiota Interplay in Humans and AnimalMarcelo B Sztein; Fiscal Year: 2013..Given the shortcomings of available measures to successfully control this infection, and its bioterrorism potential, to develop a S. dysenteriae type 1 vaccine is of great importance. ..
- Investigating Mechanism of Intracellular Rotational Transport with Optical TJeffrey N Anker; Fiscal Year: 2012..Specifically, we measure toxicity of copper oxide and titanium dioxide which are widely used and have important ramifications for human health. ..
- 5-HT transporter function: Interaction of hormones and antidepressantsAlan Frazer; Fiscal Year: 2013..Our basic research studies could have treatment implications for patients with either MDD and/or PTSD. ..
- Skeletal Muscle. Ca Release Control Inside the Sarcoplasmic Reticulum.Eduardo Rios; Fiscal Year: 2013..As a result there will be multiple repercussions to their defects or failures. It can be anticipated, therefore, that our research will have consequences outside its field of muscle and exercise. ..
- Axonopathy in GlaucomaSamuel D Crish; Fiscal Year: 2013..This proposal is designed with the goal of identifying new therapeutic targets for this disease as well as identifying the potential role that function-restoring therapies could play in glaucoma and other neurodegenerative diseases. ..
- Remodeling Neuronal Chromatin in Mouse Models for DepressionSchahram Akbarian; Fiscal Year: 2013..Then, indirectly, the chromatin changes brought about by Setdb1 result in certain adaptations in the communication between nerve cells, ultimately resulting in an antidepressant-like effect. ..
- Neural mechanisms by which chronic stress regulates inflammation in asthmaMelissa A Rosenkranz; Fiscal Year: 2013..abstract_text> ..
- Tobacco Control Research Branch Scientific and Technical Services SupportKOURTNEY MARSHALL; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- Nicotinic Acetylcholine Receptor Density and Veteran Cigarette SmokersArthur Brody; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- A unique approach to identify markers for congenital syphilis and neurosyphilisNikhat Parveen; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Ethanol Regulation of Serum Glucocorticoid Kinase IBLAIR N COSTIN; Fiscal Year: 2012..The work proposed here could shed light on molecular mechanisms underlying alcoholism and eventually have implications in the development of novel pharmacological agents for alcoholism or alcohol-related neurological disorders. ..
- Bisphosphonates in the treatment of chronic kidney disease-mineral bone diseaseSharon M Moe; Fiscal Year: 2013..Both of these problems may be linked. The purpose of this study is to determine if a commonly used group of drugs, bisphosphonates, may help both bone and heart/blood vessel disease and determine the mechanism the drugs work. ..
- Notch and Regulators of Notch Signaling Impact Both Glucose and Lipid MetabolismUTPAL BHAGIRATH PAJVANI; Fiscal Year: 2013..Pajvani will need in order to become an independent translational medical researcher and a productive member of the academic medical community. ..
- Adenosine and the Basal Forebrain in the Control of Behavioral StateRobert E Strecker; Fiscal Year: 2012..In conclusion, there is a direct path from our studies on animal models to related clinical research, which could lead to improved medical care of veterans. ..
- Efficacy of Yoga for Treatment-Resistant PTSDBessel Van der Kolk; Fiscal Year: 2010..F., Spitz, A.M., Edwards, V., et al. (1997). Relationship of childhood abuse and household dysfunction to many of the leading causes of death in adults: The Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACE) Study. Am J Preventive Med, 14, 245-258. ..
- MOLECULAR MECHANISMS OF COMPLEX MIXTURE TOXICITYAlvaro Puga; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- INTERNET ENHANCED HEALTH PROMOTION FOR OBESE ETHNIC MINORITY ADOLESCENTSJessica A Whiteley; Fiscal Year: 2011..abstract_text> ..
- MR Monitoring of PTC124 Treatment in DMDKRISTA H VANDENBORNE; Fiscal Year: 2010..The availability of a reliable, nondestructive monitoring method that can be routinely and repeatedly implemented in patients will greatly benefit clinical trials in muscle diseases. ..
- Emergency Neurophysiological Assessment Bedside Logic EngineDon M Tucker; Fiscal Year: 2010..Network access technology will facilitate remote review by expert neurologists, and a training protocol will provide first-responder usability for emergency technicians and physicians without training in clinical neurophysiology. ..
- Early Life Conditions, Survival, and Health: A Pedigree-Based Population StudyKen R Smith; Fiscal Year: 2013..We also test if there is effect modification of APOE alleles on the association between ELCS &later-life biomarkers. ..
- ECG-derived cardiopulmonary coupling biomarkers of sleep, sleep-breathing, and caRobert J Thomas; Fiscal Year: 2010..We propose to show its usefulness as a monitor of sleep in health, in those with simple and complicated forms of sleep apnea, and in patients with heart failure. ..
- Cerebral metabolism, EEG, and sleep cycling in critically ill neonatesRenée A Shellhaas; Fiscal Year: 2013..abstract_text> ..
- Sex Hormones in Postmenopausal Women in the Diabetes Prevention ProgramCatherine Kim; Fiscal Year: 2012..The SHIP study will provide insight into the pathophysiology of glucose intolerance, and the findings will have implications not only for diabetes prevention but also for other diseases that focus on sex hormones as mediators. ..
- Novel Macrolide Th17 InhibitorsJay K Kolls; Fiscal Year: 2012..PUBLIC HEALTH RELEVANCE: Interleukin-17 can cause lung inflammation and asthma. This project is to indentify drugs that can inhibit IL-17 and lung inflammation. ..
- Predicting Bilirubin-induced Auditory Toxicity in Infants with Severe JaundiceSanjiv B Amin; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Mechanism(s) of Alcoholic PancreatitisBhupendra S Kaphalia; Fiscal Year: 2011....
- JACKSON HEART STUDYAsoka Srinivasan; Fiscal Year: 2010..abstract_text> ..
- JACKSON HEART STUDYHerman Taylor; Fiscal Year: 2010..abstract_text> ..
- JACKSON HEART STUDYHERMAN ALFRED TAYLOR; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- A Rodent Model to Study Links Among Diet, Visceral Adipose and CardiomyopathyMELINDA ANN FRYE; Fiscal Year: 2013..abstract_text> ..
- JACKSON HEART STUDYASOKA S SRINIVASAN; Fiscal Year: 2013..abstract_text> ..
- Chronic Electrical Stimulation to Reduce Bladder Hyperreflexia after SCIKenneth J Gustafson; Fiscal Year: 2012..This approach is less invasive than existing devices and is expected to expand the population of individuals able to benefit from neural stimulation systems to restore bladder function. ..
- Use of Interactive Gaming for Enhanced Function after Spinal Cord InjuryBEATRICE JENNY KIRATLI; Fiscal Year: 2011..Health maintenance and prevention of further disablement and chronic illness is a high priority for VHA. ..
- JACKSON HEART STUDYHERMAN ALFRED TAYLOR; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- Novel Therapy for PreeclampsiaJames W Larrick; Fiscal Year: 2012..Digibind was effective for PE in a clinical trial. We will develop a novel human monoclonal antibody with higher specificity than Digibind for MBG. This innovative therapeutic humAb will be the first effective treatment of PE. ..
- JACKSON HEART STUDYASOKA S SRINIVASAN; Fiscal Year: 2011..abstract_text> ..
- Combining Imaging and Modeling in Osteoporosis Fracture Risk AssessmentGARY BEAUPRE; Fiscal Year: 2009..Based on all of the above, we believe that the VA can and should play a central role in osteoporosis research, especially given the potential for a large number of aging male veterans to experience an osteoporosis-related fracture. ..
- Fetal Programming and Human Physical PerformanceTom Brutsaert; Fiscal Year: 2009..This research has clear relevance for the public health, as fetal programming has been linked to various adult cardiovascular, metabolic, and endocrine disorders. ..
- EEG synchrony of preterm infants: Regional disparities and perinatal risksPhilip Grieve; Fiscal Year: 2009..Our new method, using noninvasive measurements of infant brain electricity, has the potential to provide new methods of care for these infants. ..
- Exercise-Facilitated NeuroRehabilitation in Diabetic NeuropathyEVAN STUBBS; Fiscal Year: 2009..With an aging Veteran population, the number of diabetic neuropathic patients in need of VA medical services is expected to increase considerably. ..
- Extinction of Fear Memories with Glucocorticoids in Veterans with PTSDAlina Suris; Fiscal Year: 2009..The information gained from this study will be applicable not only to veterans who have combat-related PTSD, but to any individual with suffering intrusive memories from any type of trauma. ..
- OUTCOMES OF HEEL CORD LENGTHENING IN CHILDREN WITH CPJack Engsberg; Fiscal Year: 1999..Upon completion the investigators expect to demonstrate that the 3 surgeries are effective in improving function of children with equinus deformity; however better selection procedures are desirable. ..
- Sensor Network for Monitoring Real-world Arm Activity of Rehabilitation PatientsGitendra Uswatte; Fiscal Year: 2010..When paired with virtual therapist software running on a laptop in patients'home, this tool, in addition, might be incorporated into existing therapies to directly reinforce everyday use of the impaired arm. ..
- Novel Intervention for ColitisMICHAEL VITEK; Fiscal Year: 2007..So we propose to directly measure whether COG112 will exacerbate or ameliorate colitis in mouse models. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Pupil Size and Circadian Salivary Variations in Autism Spectrum DisorderJOHN A COLOMBO; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Comparative Effectiveness of Medical Therapy vs. Bariatric Surgery for Obese T2DMDAVID BRADLEY contact LAUTZ; Fiscal Year: 2010..Surgery for obesity often results in resolution of diabetes. This trial will compare the effectiveness of obesity surgery versus maximal medical management in resolving adult onset diabetes in a less obese population. ..
- DISCREPANCIES BETWEEN PATIENT AND PUBLIC UTILITY RATINGSPeter Ubel; Fiscal Year: 2004..It is not clear how the quality of life, and comorbidity measures will be used in these models. ..
- AMPLIFICATION, MIDDLE EAR PATHOLOGY AND ACADEMIC SUCCESSNICKOLA NELSON; Fiscal Year: 1993..It also promises to provide new insights about the relationships among middle ear functioning, phonological awareness, comprehension of relational concepts, and teacher-ratings of classroom success...
- Very-short-time diffusion MRI of hyperpolarized gasesG Miller; Fiscal Year: 2009..Application of these methods may be used for early detection of serious lung diseases such as emphysema and will provide a tool for medical researchers to better investigate the causes and potential treatments of lung disease. ..
- LabMaster: Calo/Dri-Fed/Act.XYZ/Wheel 16 Mice/RatsMichael Schwartz; Fiscal Year: 2009..Obtaining the requested equipment will critically advance the ability of this group to conduct their studies and will support synergistic interactions between investigators with distinct but overlapping interests. ..
- Mechanisms of specific trunk Exercises in low back painSharon M Henry; Fiscal Year: 2010..This series of experiments will, for the first time, compare two classification systems used in LBP treatment and determine if they are superior to STC exercises. 4 ..
- Working Memory Performance among Childhood Brain Tumor SurvivorsHEATHER CONKLIN; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- ELDER PAIN--ASSESSMENT OF INTENSITYKeela Herr; Fiscal Year: 1999..It is essential that methodological studies which determine instruments' abilities to measure pain in the elderly precede substantive investigations to manage pain in this population. ..
- Mouthgard BITES (Behavior, Impulsivity, Theory Evaluation Study)DAWN COMSTOCK; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- MODELS OF PSYCHOBIOLOGICAL DEVELOPMENTMartin Reite; Fiscal Year: 1993..Professional development will include formal and informal training in MR imaging and MR spectroscopy theory and techniques. ..
- COSTS OF CARE FOR VLBW INFANTSJeannette Rogowski; Fiscal Year: 2002..The Vermont Oxford Network is a voluntary, collaborative network of neonatal intensive care units organized to improve the effectiveness and efficiency of medical care for newborn infants. ..