Genomes and Genes
Summary: Critical and exhaustive investigation or experimentation, having for its aim the discovery of new facts and their correct interpretation, the revision of accepted conclusions, theories, or laws in the light of newly discovered facts, or the practical application of such new or revised conclusions, theories, or laws. (Webster, 3d ed)
Publications231 found, 100 shown here
- Review of primary care-based physical activity intervention studies: effectiveness and implications for practice and future researchE G Eakin
AMC Cancer Research Center, Center for Community Studies, Denver, Colorado 80214, USA
J Fam Pract 49:158-68. 2000To summarize the literature on primary care-based interventions for increasing physical activity and make recommendations for future research and for integrating successful strategies into practice.
- UCSF Chimera--a visualization system for exploratory research and analysisEric F Pettersen
Computer Graphics Laboratory, Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry, University of California, 600 16th Street, San Francisco, California 94143 2240, USA
J Comput Chem 25:1605-12. 2004..Chimera includes full user documentation, is free to academic and nonprofit users, and is available for Microsoft Windows, Linux, Apple Mac OS X, SGI IRIX, and HP Tru64 Unix from http://www.cgl.ucsf.edu/chimera/...
- A research agenda to underpin malaria eradicationPedro L Alonso
Barcelona Centre for International Health Research Hospital Clínic, Universitat de Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
PLoS Med 8:e1000406. 2011..The Malaria Eradication Research Agenda (malERA) complements the current research agenda--primarily directed towards reducing morbidity and ..
- Qualitative research: standards, challenges, and guidelinesK Malterud
Section for General Practice, Department of Public Health and Primary Health Care, University of Bergen, Ulriksdal 8c, N 5009, Bergen, Norway
Lancet 358:483-8. 2001Qualitative research methods could help us to improve our understanding of medicine. Rather than thinking of qualitative and quantitative strategies as incompatible, they should be seen as complementary...
- Updated research nosology for HIV-associated neurocognitive disordersA Antinori
Clinical Department, National Institute for Infectious Diseases Lazzaro Spallanzani, Instituto di Ricovero e Cura a Carattere Scientifico IRCCS, Rome, Italy
Neurology 69:1789-99. 2007In 1991, the AIDS Task Force of the American Academy of Neurology published nomenclature and research case definitions to guide the diagnosis of neurologic manifestations of HIV-1 infection...
- Pharmaceutical industry sponsorship and research outcome and quality: systematic reviewJoel Lexchin
School of Health Policy and Management, York University, Toronto, ON, Canada M3J 1P3
BMJ 326:1167-70. 2003....
- Validation and validity of diagnoses in the General Practice Research Database: a systematic reviewEmily Herrett
Non communicable Disease Epidemiology Unit, Department of Epidemiology and Population Health, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London, UK
Br J Clin Pharmacol 69:4-14. 2010To investigate the range of methods used to validate diagnoses in the General Practice Research Database (GPRD), to summarize findings and to assess the quality of these validations.
- Atypical subtrochanteric and diaphyseal femoral fractures: report of a task force of the American Society for Bone and Mineral ResearchElizabeth Shane
Columbia University, College of Physicians and Surgeons, PH 8 West 864, 630 West 168th Street, New York, NY 10032, USA
J Bone Miner Res 25:2267-94. 2010..BPs) with atypical fractures of the femur led the leadership of the American Society for Bone and Mineral Research (ASBMR) to appoint a task force to address key questions related to this problem...
- Bacillus thuringiensis: a century of research, development and commercial applicationsGeorgina Sanahuja
Department of Plant Production and Forestry Science, ETSEA, University of Lleida, Lleida, Spain
Plant Biotechnol J 9:283-300. 2011..Here, we review recent progress in the development of Bt technology and the countermeasures that have been introduced to prevent the evolution of resistant insect populations...
- Research priorities for health of people with disabilities: an expert opinion exerciseMark Tomlinson
Department of Psychology, Stellenbosch University, Stellenbosch, South Africa
Lancet 374:1857-62. 2009..and patterns of health conditions of people with disabilities, effective interventions, and policy-relevant research about what works to improve health and functioning of people with disabilities...
- A critical review of simulation-based medical education research: 2003-2009William C McGaghie
Augusta Webster, MD, Office of Medical Education and Faculty Development, Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University, Chicago, Illinois 60611 3008, USA
Med Educ 44:50-63. 2010This article reviews and critically evaluates historical and contemporary research on simulation-based medical education (SBME)...
- High-resolution mapping and analysis of copy number variations in the human genome: a data resource for clinical and research applicationsTamim H Shaikh
Division of Genetics, The Children s Hospital of Philadelphia, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
Genome Res 19:1682-90. 2009..Together, this analysis and annotation provides a useful resource to assist with the assessment of CNVs in the contexts of human variation, disease susceptibility, and clinical molecular diagnostics...
- The global epidemiological situation of schistosomiasis and new approaches to control and researchD Engels
Parasitic Diseases and Vector Control, Communicable Diseases Control, Prevention and Eradication, World Health Organization, CH 1211 27, Geneva, Switzerland
Acta Trop 82:139-46. 2002..Related to this new vision, some research needs are pointed out.
- Depression and hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal activation: a quantitative summary of four decades of researchCinnamon Stetler
Department of Psychology, Furman University, 3300 Poinsett Hwy, Greenville, SC 29613, USA
Psychosom Med 73:114-26. 2011..These sources include methodological differences between studies, as well as demographic or clinical differences between depressed samples...
- The neuronal basis and ontogeny of empathy and mind reading: review of literature and implications for future researchTania Singer
Institute of Cognitive Neuroscience and Wellcome Department of Imaging Neuroscience, University College of London, 17 Queen Square, WC1N 3AR London, UK
Neurosci Biobehav Rev 30:855-63. 2006..In this review, imaging research conducted on theory of mind (ToM or mentalizing) and empathy is selectively reviewed...
- AutDB: a gene reference resource for autism researchSaumyendra N Basu
MindSpec Inc, 9656 Blake Lane, Fairfax, VA 22031, USA
Nucleic Acids Res 37:D832-6. 2009..of AutDB originates entirely from the published scientific literature and is organized to optimize its use by the research community...
- Summary of the NHLBI Working Group on Research on Hypertension During PregnancyJames M Roberts
Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Sciences, Graduate School of Public Health, University of Pittsburgh, and Magee Womens Research Institute, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Hypertension 41:437-45. 2003A Working Group on Research in Hypertension in Pregnancy was recently convened by the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute to determine the state of knowledge in this area and suggest appropriate directions for research...
- HIV prevention transformed: the new prevention research agendaNancy S Padian
Division of Epidemiology, University of California, Berkeley, CA 94704, USA
Lancet 378:269-78. 2011..we analyse trends in the rapidly changing landscape of HIV prevention, and chart a new path for HIV prevention research that focuses on the implementation of effective and efficient combination prevention strategies to turn the tide ..
- Setting priorities in global child health research investments: guidelines for implementation of CHNRI methodIgor Rudan
Public Health Sciences, The University of Edinburgh Medical School, Teviot Place, Edinburgh, Scotland, UK
Croat Med J 49:720-33. 2008..article provides detailed guidelines for the implementation of systematic method for setting priorities in health research investments that was recently developed by Child Health and Nutrition Research Initiative (CHNRI)...
- The Fungal Genetics Stock Center: a repository for 50 years of fungal genetics researchK McCluskey
School of Biological Sciences, University of Missouri Kansas City, 5007 Rockhill Road, Kansas City, Missouri 64110, USA
J Biosci 35:119-26. 2010..Genetics Stock Center (FGSC) was established in 1960 to ensure that important strains used in early genetics research were available to subsequent generations of fungal geneticists. Originally, only mutant strains were held...
- Scale up services for mental disorders: a call for actionD Chisholm
Lancet 370:1241-52. 2007..are needed? How can progress towards these goals be monitored? What should be the priorities for mental health research? To address these questions, we first estimated that the amount needed to provide services on the necessary scale ..
- Bacteriophage endolysins--current state of research and applicationsMartin J Loessner
Institute of Food Science and Nutrition, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology ETH, Schmelzbergstrasse 7, CH 8092 Zurich, Switzerland
Curr Opin Microbiol 8:480-7. 2005..Recent research has not only revealed the unexpected diversity of these highly specific hydrolases but has also yielded insights ..
- Seeing is believing: the impact of electron microscopy on autophagy researchEeva Liisa Eskelinen
Department of Biosciences, University of Helsinki, Helsinki, Finland
Autophagy 7:935-56. 2011..1990s, combined fluorescence microscopy, biochemical and genetic methods have taken the leading role in autophagy research. However, electron microscopy is still needed to confirm and verify results obtained by other methods, and also ..
- Reproducible research in computational scienceRoger D Peng
Department of Biostatistics, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Science 334:1226-7. 2011..Reproducibility has the potential to serve as a minimum standard for judging scientific claims when full independent replication of a study is not possible...
- microRNAs: implications for air pollution researchMelanie J Jardim
National Health and Environmental Effects Research Laboratory, United States Environmental Protection Agency, Chapel Hill, NC, USA
Mutat Res 717:38-45. 2011..More recently, research has emerged suggesting that changes in the expression of some miRNAs may be critical for mediating biological, ..
- Defining research to improve health systemsJan H F Remme
UNICEF UNDP World Bank World Health Organization Special Programme for Research and Training in Tropical Diseases, Geneva, Switzerland
PLoS Med 7:e1001000. 2010Robert Terry and colleagues present working definitions of operational research, implementation research, and health systems research within the context of research to strengthen health systems.
- Setting priorities in global child health research investments: universal challenges and conceptual frameworkIgor Rudan
Croatian Centre for Global Health, University of Split Medical School, Soltanska 2, 21000 Split, Croatia
Croat Med J 49:307-17. 2008
- Utopia documents: linking scholarly literature with research dataT K Attwood
School of Computer Science, Faculty of Life Sciences, University of Manchester, Manchester, UK
Bioinformatics 26:i568-74. 2010In recent years, the gulf between the mass of accumulating-research data and the massive literature describing and analyzing those data has widened...
- Research priorities to reduce global mortality from newborn infections by 2015Rajiv Bahl
Department of Child and Adolescent Health, World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland
Pediatr Infect Dis J 28:S43-8. 2009..0 million neonatal deaths that occur globally every year. Appropriately targeted research is required to guide investment in effective interventions, especially in low resource settings...
- Animal models in type 2 diabetes research: an overviewK Srinivasan
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, National Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research, Mohali, India
Indian J Med Res 125:451-72. 2007..features, underlying causes/mechanism(s), advantages and disadvantages to the investigators in diabetes research. In addition, it especially describes the appropriate selection and usefulness of different animal models in ..
- Childhood overweight: a contextual model and recommendations for future researchK K Davison
Department of Human Development and Family Studies, Pennsylvania State University, 110 Henderson Building South, University Park, PA 16802, USA
Obes Rev 2:159-71. 2001..As shown by previous research, the development of childhood overweight involves a complex set of factors from multiple contexts that interact ..
- Aging and infectious diseases: workshop on HIV infection and aging: what is known and future research directionsRita B Effros
David Geffen School of Medicine at the University of California, Los Angeles, USA
Clin Infect Dis 47:542-53. 2008..geriatrics, immunology, and gerontology met to review what is known about HIV infection and aging, to identify research gaps, and to suggest high priority topics for future research...
- Adverse outcome pathways: a conceptual framework to support ecotoxicology research and risk assessmentGerald T Ankley
U S Environmental Protection Agency, Office of Research and Development, National Health and Environmental Effects Research Laboratory, Mid Continent Ecology Division, Duluth, Minnesota 55804, USA
Environ Toxicol Chem 29:730-41. 2010..In the concluding sections of the paper, we discuss how AOPs can help to guide research that supports chemical risk assessments and advocate for the incorporation of this approach into a broader ..
- Electronic medical records for discovery research in rheumatoid arthritisKatherine P Liao
Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken) 62:1120-7. 2010Electronic medical records (EMRs) are a rich data source for discovery research but are underutilized due to the difficulty of extracting highly accurate clinical data...
- Serial Analysis of Gene Expression (SAGE): 13 years of application in researchSergey V Anisimov
Department of Hematology Research, V A Almazov Federal Center for Heart, Blood, Endocrinology, Saint Petersburg, Russia
Curr Pharm Biotechnol 9:338-50. 2008..Issues related to modifications to the original protocol and further development of the SAGE are discussed...
- 100 years of Drosophila research and its impact on vertebrate neuroscience: a history lesson for the futureHugo J Bellen
Department ofNeuroscience, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Nat Rev Neurosci 11:514-22. 2010..Such findings have triggered and guided many research efforts in vertebrate neuroscience...
- A wake up call for urinary schistosomiasis: reconciling research effort with public health importanceD Rollinson
Wolfson Wellcome Biomedical Laboratories, Department of Zoology, Natural History Museum, London, UK
Parasitology 136:1593-610. 2009..status of urinary schistosomiasis, caused by infection with Schistosoma haematobium, and argues that greater research effort and focus are needed to improve understanding of this neglected tropical disease (NTD)...
- Strengthening capacity for health research in AfricaJames A G Whitworth
The Wellcome Trust, London, UK
Lancet 372:1590-3. 2008
- A meta-analysis of 25 years of mood-creativity research: hedonic tone, activation, or regulatory focus?Matthijs Baas
Department of Psychology, University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Psychol Bull 134:779-806. 2008..g., fluency, flexibility, originality, eureka/insight). The authors discuss theoretical implications and highlight avenues for future research on specific moods, creativity, and their relationships.
- Survey of the quality of experimental design, statistical analysis and reporting of research using animalsCarol Kilkenny
The National Centre for the Replacement, Refinement and Reduction of Animals in Research, London, United Kingdom
PLoS ONE 4:e7824. 2009..of a systematic survey of reporting, experimental design and statistical analysis in published biomedical research using laboratory animals...
- Bovine respiratory disease research (1983-2009)Robert W Fulton
Department of Veterinary Pathobiology, Center for Veterinary Health Sciences, Oklahoma State University, Stillwater, OK 74078, USA
Anim Health Res Rev 10:131-9. 2009Bovine respiratory disease (BRD) research has provided significant understanding of the disease over the past 26 years...
- Ethics and methods for biological rhythm research on animals and human beingsFrancesco Portaluppi
International Society for Chronobiology, Hypertension Center, Department of Medicine, University Hospital S Anna of Ferrara, Ferrara, Italy
Chronobiol Int 27:1911-29. 2010..updates the ethical standards and methods for the conduct of high-quality animal and human biological rhythm research, which should be especially useful for new investigators of the rhythms of life...
- Priorities for tuberculosis research: a systematic reviewJamie Rylance
Malawi Liverpool Wellcome Trust Clinical Research Programme, Blantyre, Malawi
Lancet Infect Dis 10:886-92. 2010Reliable and relevant research can help to improve tuberculosis control worldwide. In recent years, various organisations have assessed research needs and proposed priorities for tuberculosis...
- Clinical studies with traditional Chinese medicine in the past decade and future research and developmentMiao Jiang
Disease and TCM Pattern Correlation Research Department, China Academy of Chinese Medical Sciences, Beijing, People s Republic of China
Planta Med 76:2048-64. 2010....
- Whisker: a client-server high-performance multimedia research control systemRudolf N Cardinal
Behavioural and Clinical Neuroscience Institute, Department of Psychiatry, University of Cambridge, Cambridge, England
Behav Res Methods 42:1059-71. 2010We describe an original client-server approach to behavioral research control and the Whisker system, a specific implementation of this design...
- Smart phone, smart science: how the use of smartphones can revolutionize research in cognitive scienceStéphane Dufau
CNRS, UMR 6146, Marseille, France
PLoS ONE 6:e24974. 2011..language, attention, and memory most often relies on testing small and homogeneous groups of volunteers coming to research facilities where they are asked to participate in behavioral experiments...
- Statistical consideration for bilateral cases in orthopaedic researchMoon Seok Park
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Seoul National University Bundang Hospital, 300 Gumi dong, Bundang gu, Sungnam, Kyungki 463 707, South Korea
J Bone Joint Surg Am 92:1732-7. 2010..The purpose of the present study was to analyze the violation of statistical independence in recent orthopaedic research papers and to demonstrate the effect of statistical analysis that considered the data dependency within a subject.
- Setting priorities in global child health research investments: addressing values of stakeholdersLydia Kapiriri
Joint Center for Bioethics, University of Toronto Medical School, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Croat Med J 48:618-27. 2007To identify main groups of stakeholders in the process of health research priority setting and propose strategies for addressing their systems of values.
- Setting priorities in global child health research investments: assessment of principles and practiceIgor Rudan
Split University School of Medicine, Split, Croatia
Croat Med J 48:595-604. 2007This article reviews theoretical and practical approaches for setting priorities in global child health research investments...
- Establishing an agenda for translational research on PTSDMelinda M Miller
Laboratory of Neuroendocrinology, The Rockefeller University, New York, New York 10021, USA
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1071:294-312. 2006Animal research on brain mechanisms involved in psychiatric disorders presents an enormous challenge because it is impossible to precisely model symptoms of a human disorder in a rat or mouse...
- Integrating response shift into health-related quality of life research: a theoretical modelM A Sprangers
Department of Medical Psychology, Academic Hospital Amsterdam, University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Soc Sci Med 48:1507-15. 1999..Integrating response shift into QOL research would allow a better understanding of how QOL is affected by changes in health status and would direct the ..
- The intersections of HIV and violence: directions for future research and interventionsS Maman
Department of International Health, School of Hygiene and Public Health, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Soc Sci Med 50:459-78. 2000..to review the available literature on the intersections between HIV and violence and present an agenda for future research to guide policy and programs...
- Exploiting the Brachypodium Tool Box in cereal and grass researchLuis A J Mur
Institute of Biological, Environmental and Rural Sciences, Aberystwyth, Wales, UK
New Phytol 191:334-47. 2011..Brachypodium is an ideal system for functional genomic studies, because of its easy growth requirements, small physical stature, and rapid life cycle, coupled with the resources offered by the Brachypodium Tool Box...
- Sleep apnoea as an independent risk factor for cardiovascular disease: current evidence, basic mechanisms and research prioritiesW T McNicholas
Respiratory Sleep Disorders Unit, St Vincent s University Hospital, Elm Park, Dublin 4, Ireland
Eur Respir J 29:156-78. 2007..The present report, which arose out of a European Union Cooperation in the field of Scientific and Technical Research (COST) action on OSAS (COST B26), reviews the current evidence for an independent association and proposes ..
- Eye tracking in infancy researchGustaf Gredeback
Department of Psychology, University of Oslo, Oslo, Norway
Dev Neuropsychol 35:1-19. 2010The current review offers a unique introduction to the use of corneal reflection eye tracking in infancy research. We provide a detailed description of how to calibrate, collect, and analyze infants' gaze in a series of experimental ..
- Towards a global dengue research agendaJ Farrar
Trop Med Int Health 12:695-9. 2007
- Ecology. Millennium ecosystem assessment: research needsStephen R Carpenter
Center for Limnology, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI 53706
Science 314:257-8. 2006
- Bridging research and practice: models for dissemination and implementation researchRachel G Tabak
Prevention Research Center in St Louis, Brown School, Washington University in St Louis, St Louis, Missouri 63110, USA
Am J Prev Med 43:337-50. 2012Theories and frameworks (hereafter called models) enhance dissemination and implementation (D&I) research by making the spread of evidence-based interventions more likely...
- HIV-related behavioral studies of men who have sex with men in China: a systematic review and recommendations for future researchYan Guo
Prevention Research Center, Carman and Ann Adams Department of Pediatrics, Wayne State University School of Medicine, Detroit, MI 48201, USA
AIDS Behav 15:521-34. 2011..Future studies need to employ more rigorous research methodology, including longitudinal study design, multiple sampling methods, and common measurements of HIV-..
- Analyzing the "nature" and "specific effectiveness" of clinical empathy: a theoretical overview and contribution towards a theory-based research agendaMelanie Neumann
Center for Health Services Research Cologne ZVFK, Medical Department of the University of Cologne, Germany
Patient Educ Couns 74:339-46. 2009..aims of the present paper are, therefore, (1) to give a multidisciplinary overview of the "nature" and "specific effectiveness" of CE, and (2) to use this base as a means of deriving relevant questions for a theory-based research agenda.
- Measuring the prevalence of questionable research practices with incentives for truth tellingLeslie K John
Marketing Unit, Harvard Business School, Boston, MA 02163, USA
Psychol Sci 23:524-32. 2012..clear scientific misconduct have received significant media attention recently, but less flagrantly questionable research practices may be more prevalent and, ultimately, more damaging to the academic enterprise...
- Using community-based participatory research to address health disparitiesNina B Wallerstein
Department of Family and Community Medicine, University of New Mexico School of Medicine, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
Health Promot Pract 7:312-23. 2006Community-based participatory research (CBPR) has emerged in the past decades as an alternative research paradigm, which integrates education and social action to improve health and reduce health disparities...
- C4 cycles: past, present, and future research on C4 photosynthesisJane A Langdale
Department of Plant Sciences, University of Oxford, Oxford OX1 3RB, United Kingdom
Plant Cell 23:3879-92. 2011In the late 1960s, a vibrant new research field was ignited by the discovery that instead of fixing CO(2) into a C(3) compound, some plants initially fix CO(2) into a four-carbon (C(4)) compound. The term C(4) photosynthesis was born...
- Patterns of consent in epidemiologic research: evidence from over 25,000 respondersKate M Dunn
Primary Care Sciences Research Centre, Keele University, Keele, Staffordshire, United Kingdom
Am J Epidemiol 159:1087-94. 2004..Although consent is high among responders, the additive effect of nonresponse and nonconsent can substantially reduce sample size and should be taken into account in epidemiologic study planning...
- Advances and applications of oral cancer basic researchSabrina Daniela da Silva
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Jewish General Hospital, McGill University, Montreal, Canada
Oral Oncol 47:783-91. 2011..Progress in cancer research has provided abundant new knowledge about cellular processes and molecular biology underlying oral carcinogenesis ..
- From basic research to clinical development of MEK1/2 inhibitors for cancer therapyChristophe Frémin
Institut de Recherche en Immunologie et Cancérologie and Department of Pharmacology, Universite de Montreal, Montreal, Quebec H3C 3J7, Canada
J Hematol Oncol 3:8. 2010..In this article, we briefly review the basic research that has laid the groundwork for the clinical development of small molecules inhibitors of the ERK1/2 pathway...
- New challenges for telephone survey research in the twenty-first centuryAngela M Kempf
Population Health Institute, Department of Population Health Sciences, School of Medicine and Public Health, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI 53726, USA
Annu Rev Public Health 28:113-26. 2007..Technology has aided telephone research through advances such as computer-assisted telephone interviewing...
- Introduction to the special section on dissemination: dissemination research and research dissemination: how can we close the gap?Jon Kerner
Division of Cancer Control and Population SciencesNational Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, U S Department of Health and Human Services, Washington, DC, USA
Health Psychol 24:443-6. 2005One of the greatest challenges facing health promotion and disease prevention is translating research findings into evidence-based public health and clinical practices that are actively disseminated and widely adopted...
- The research implications of the selection of a gestational age estimation methodCourtney D Lynch
Epidemiology Branch, Division of Epidemiology, Statistics and Prevention Research, National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, National Institutes of Health, Department of Health and Human Services, Bethesda, MD, USA
Paediatr Perinat Epidemiol 21:86-96. 2007..We review the strengths and limitations of each method as well as their implications for research. Dating based on LMP is a simple, low-cost method of estimating gestational age...
- The relationship between characteristics of context and research utilization in a pediatric settingGreta G Cummings
Faculty of Nursing, 3rd Floor, Clinical Sciences Building, University of Alberta, Alberta, AB T6G 2G3, Canada
BMC Health Serv Res 10:168. 2010b>Research utilization investigators have called for more focused examination of the influence of context on research utilization behaviors...
- Determinants of duration of disability and return-to-work after work-related injury and illness: challenges for future researchN Krause
Division of Epidemiology, School of Public Health, University of California at Berkeley, 745 University Hall, Berkeley, CA 94720 7360, USA
Am J Ind Med 40:464-84. 2001The purpose of this review was to identify critical data and research needs in addressing the following question: What are the primary factors that affect the time lost from work, return-to-work (RTW), subsequent unemployment, and changes ..
- Dengue: setting the global research agendaAxel Kroeger
UNICEF UNDP World Bank WHO Special Programme for Research and Training in Tropical Diseases TDR, CH 1211 Geneva 27, Switzerland
Lancet 368:2193-5. 2006
- Brief alcohol intervention--where to from here? Challenges remain for research and practicePer Nilsen
Department of Medical and Health Sciences, Linkoping University, Linkoping, Sweden
Addiction 105:954-9. 2010..This text provides a brief summary of key BI research findings from the last three decades and discusses a number of knowledge gaps that need to be addressed...
- Bacterial vaginosis: identifying research gaps proceedings of a workshop sponsored by DHHS/NIH/NIAIDJeanne M Marrazzo
University of Washington, Seattle, WA, USA
Sex Transm Dis 37:732-44. 2010..On November 19-20, 2008, the NIH convened a workshop of experts in the field of research and clinical practice related to BV in order to discuss how these new advances should be interpreted and applied ..
- Toward a theory-driven model of acculturation in public health researchAna F Abraido-Lanza
Department of Sociomedical Sciences, Mailman School of Public Health, Columbia University, New York, NY 10032, USA
Am J Public Health 96:1342-6. 2006..Linear assimilation models continue to dominate public health research despite the availability of more complex acculturation theories that propose multidimensional frameworks, ..
- Pharmaceutical care in community pharmacies: practice and research in CanadaErika J M Jones
College of Pharmacy, Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Ann Pharmacother 39:1527-33. 2005..and delivery of health services, health service policy, methods of payment, types of pharmacy services provided, types of cognitive pharmacy services, research in community pharmacy, and future plans for community pharmacy services.
- Antibody arrays in cancer researchBrian B Haab
Van Andel Research Institute, Grand Rapids, Michigan 49503, USA
Mol Cell Proteomics 4:377-83. 2005Antibody arrays have valuable applications in cancer research. Many different antibody array technologies have been developed, each with particular advantages, disadvantages, and optimal applications...
- A review of the outcome expectancy construct in physical activity researchDavid M Williams
Center for Research in Health Behavior, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, VA, USA
Ann Behav Med 29:70-9. 2005Outcome expectancy is a central construct in social cognitive models of health behavior widely used as frameworks for physical activity research.
- What does research tell us about depression, job performance, and work productivity?Debra Lerner
Institute for Clinical Research and Health Policy Studies, Tufts New England Medical Center, Boston, MA 02111, USA
J Occup Environ Med 50:401-10. 2008..To assess the work impact of depression...
- Determinants of success in national programs to eliminate lymphatic filariasis: a perspective identifying essential elements and research needsDominique Kyelem
Lymphatic Filariasis Support Center, Task Force for Child Survival and Development, Decatur, Georgia 30030, USA
Am J Trop Med Hyg 79:480-4. 2008..in microfilaremia/antigenemia after repeated mass drug administration [MDA]); 2) the priorities for operational research to enhance LF elimination efforts...
- Geographic life environments and coronary heart disease: a literature review, theoretical contributions, methodological updates, and a research agendaBasile Chaix
INSERM, U707, 75012 Paris, France
Annu Rev Public Health 30:81-105. 2009....
- Tuberculosis vaccine research: the impact of immunologyLewellys F Barker
Aeras Global TB Vaccine Foundation, Rockville, MD 20850, USA
Curr Opin Immunol 21:331-8. 2009....
- SysPTM: a systematic resource for proteomic research on post-translational modificationsHong Li
Key Lab of Systems Biology, Shanghai Institutes for Biological Sciences, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Shanghai 200031, China
Mol Cell Proteomics 8:1839-49. 2009With the rapid expansion of protein post-translational modification (PTM) research based on large-scale proteomic work, there is an increasing demand for a suitable repository to analyze PTM data...
- The Nordic countries as a cohort for pharmacoepidemiological researchKari Furu
Norwegian Institute of Public Health, Oslo and Institute of Pharmacy, University of Tromsø, Tromsø, Norway
Basic Clin Pharmacol Toxicol 106:86-94. 2010The Nordic countries have a long tradition of registry-based epidemiological research. Many population-based health registries were established in the 1960s, with use of unique personal identifiers facilitating linkage between registries...
- Preclinical models: status of basic research in depressionEric J Nestler
Department of Psychiatry and Center for Basic Neuroscience, The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, Texas 75390, USA
Biol Psychiatry 52:503-28. 2002..of normal and abnormal mood in humans and animals; discovering novel targets and biomarkers of mood disorders and treatments; and increasing the recruitment of investigators from diverse backgrounds to mood disorders research.
- Antiretroviral therapy adherence and retention in care in middle-income and low-income countries: current status of knowledge and research prioritiesJean B Nachega
Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Curr Opin HIV AIDS 5:70-7. 2010..This review presents recent developments in both treatment adherence and retention of patients in low-income and middle-income countries...
- PhenX: a toolkit for interdisciplinary genetics researchPatrick J Stover
Cornell University, Ithaca, New York, USA
Curr Opin Lipidol 21:136-40. 2010..measures for Phenotypes and eXposures) measures for nutrition, dietary supplements, and cardiovascular disease research and to demonstrate how these and other PhenX measures can be used to further interdisciplinary genetics research.
- Data sharing in medical research: an empirical investigationD D Reidpath
School of Health Services, Deakin University
Bioethics 15:125-34. 2001Background: Scientific research entails systematic investigation. Publishing the findings of research in peer reviewed journals implies a high level of confidence by the authors in the veracity of their interpretation...
- Mental health research priorities in low- and middle-income countries of Africa, Asia, Latin America and the CaribbeanP Sharan
Department of Psychiatry, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi 110029, India
Br J Psychiatry 195:354-63. 2009Studies suggest a paucity of and lack of prioritisation in mental health research from low- and middle-income (LAMI) countries.
- Recent advances in Tourette syndrome researchRoger L Albin
Geriatrics Research, Education, and Clinical Center, Ann Arbor VAMC, Department of Neurology, University of Michigan, MI 48109, USA
Trends Neurosci 29:175-82. 2006..Basic research on striatal inhibitory mechanisms and dopaminergic function complements the recent neuroimaging and anatomical ..
- Exploration of the value of health-related quality-of-life information from clinical research and into clinical practiceGordon H Guyatt
Department of Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, McMaster University and Health Sciences Center, Hamilton, ON L8N 3Z5, Canada
Mayo Clin Proc 82:1229-39. 2007Quality-of-life (QOL) instruments used in clinical research can provide important evidence to inform decisions about alternative treatments...
- The NIMH blueprint for change report: research priorities in child and adolescent mental healthKimberly Hoagwood
The National Institute of Mental Health, Bethesda, MD 20892 9630, USA
J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 41:760-7. 2002..of Mental Health established a special subgroup of its National Advisory Mental Health Council to review major research findings on child and adolescent psychiatric disorders over the past decade and to recommend research priorities ..
- Declaration of Helsinki, 2008: implications for stakeholders in researchK S Puri
Department of Clinical Pharmacology, Seth GS Medical College and KEM Hospital, Parel, Mumbai 400 012, India
J Postgrad Med 55:131-4. 2009..1964, as a statement of ethical principles, to provide guidance to physicians and other participants in medical research involving human subjects...
- Good research practices for comparative effectiveness research: defining, reporting and interpreting nonrandomized studies of treatment effects using secondary data sources: the ISPOR Good Research Practices for Retrospective Database Analysis Task Force Marc L Berger
Global Health Outcomes, Eli Lilly and Company, Indianapolis, IN, USA
Value Health 12:1044-52. 2009..Recognizing the challenges to conducting valid retrospective epidemiologic and health services research studies, a Task Force was formed to develop a guidance document on state of the art approaches to frame research ..
- Immunity against HIV/AIDS, malaria, and tuberculosis during co-infections with neglected infectious diseases: recommendations for the European Union research prioritiesDiana Boraschi
CNR, Pisa, Italy
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 2:e255. 2008..The new scientific and technical tools of the post-genomic era can allow us to reach this goal. However, a concomitant effort in improving education and social conditions will be needed to make the scientific findings effective...
- Translation of rare disease research into orphan drug development: disease mattersHarald E Heemstra
Utrecht Institute for Pharmaceutical Sciences, Utrecht University, The Netherlands
Drug Discov Today 14:1166-73. 2009..Here, we show that successful translation of rare disease research into an orphan drug discovery and development programme is dependent on the disease class, its prevalence and the ..
- The role of IFN-gamma Elispot assay in HIV vaccine researchHendrik Streeck
Ragon Institute of HGH, MIT and Harvard, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Nat Protoc 4:461-9. 2009..Here we present a detailed protocol for a state-of-the-art 3-d IFN-gamma Elispot assay and review further advantages and disadvantages of this method for the characterization of HIV-specific CD8+ T cell responses...
- Considerations for an obesity policy research agendaRobin A McKinnon
National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
Am J Prev Med 36:351-7. 2009..In 2007, the National Cancer Institute convened a meeting to discuss priorities for a research agenda to inform obesity policy...
- Pain research from 1975 to 2007: a categorical and bibliometric meta-trend analysis of every Research Paper published in the journal, PainJeffrey S Mogil
Department of Psychology and Alan Edwards Centre for Research on Pain, McGill University, 1205 Dr Penfield Ave, Montreal, Que, Canada H3A 1B1
Pain 142:48-58. 2009In an attempt to characterize the nature of pain research, every one of the 4525 Research Papers published in the journal, Pain, from its inception until the end of 2007, was examined by a single individual using a consistent set of ..
- Criteria for determination of maximal oxygen uptake: a brief critique and recommendations for future researchAdrian W Midgley
Department of Sport, Health and Exercise Science, University of Hull, Hull, UK
Sports Med 37:1019-28. 2007..Future research should explore these and other potential approaches to developing new or improved V-dotO(2max) criteria, so that, ..
- A pilot study of research utilization practices and critical thinking dispositions of Alberta dental hygienistsS J Cobban
Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry, University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB, Canada
Int J Dent Hyg 6:229-37. 2008In order to test interventions for increasing uptake of research findings into dental hygiene practice, we must first identify factors that influence research use...
- MEHARRY CLINICAL RESEARCH CENTERValerie Rice; Fiscal Year: 2009DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): The objective of the Clinical Research Center (CRC) at MMC is to support clinical research to improve the health of African Americans and other populations with health disparities, and to increase the ..
- Defining Interoperability Standards for PRO AssessmentsDERSHUNG YANG; Fiscal Year: 2010..and specific Challenge Topic: 06-CA-101: Enhancing Electronic Patient-Reported Outcomes Assessment in Clinical Research or Healthcare Delivery...
- Enhancing the Obesity Prevention Program at Harvard's DACPMatthew W Gillman; Fiscal Year: 2010..The mission of this interdisciplinary research Program is to lessen the burden of obesity-related disorders by conducting epidemiologic, intervention, and ..
- DEVELOPMENT OF A CD-ROM OF CHROMATOGRAPHIC IMAGESDavid Becker; Fiscal Year: 1993..containing images of highly verified chromatograms of chemicals, especially those pertinent to cancer/health research. Suitable indexing of these images will make retrieval rapid, and we will research ways to enable CD-ROM users to ..
- UMASS CENTER FOR AIDS RESEARCH (CFAR)Celia A Schiffer; Fiscal Year: 2012Established in 1998, the Center for AIDS Research (CFAR) at the University of Massachusetts Medical School (UMASS) provides the organizational framework to enhance and coordinate AIDS-related research at the institution...
- EMOTIONAL CONTROL OF SEDATIVE SELF-MEDICATION IN PTSDJOHN CASADA; Fiscal Year: 2003DESCRIPTION: (Applicant's Abstract) Candidate: John Casada, M.D., Ph.D. is an Assistant Professor engaged in research and clinical care focusing on posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD)...
- Acquisition of a MALDI-TOF/TOF MS for Glycomic and Lipidomic ResearchLarry S Schlesinger; Fiscal Year: 2010..tandem mass spectrometer (4800 Plus MALDI-TOF/TOF-MS) from Applied Biosystems (AB) for lipidomic and glycomic research, critical in evolving systems biology science...
- Integrated Desktop Software for Management of Hepatitic C DataJohanna C Craig; Fiscal Year: 2010..in vast numbers of new genetic sequences and associated biological data in the daily conduct of laboratory research and clinical trials with attendant serious data management problems...
- TOURETTES DISORDER IN CHILDREN--PROSPECTIVE FOLLOWUPBarbara Coffey; Fiscal Year: 2000..Applicant is an accomplished clinician shifting career focus from clinical work and medical education to clinical research. The applicant's primary goal is to pursue a career in clinical research focusing on questions driven by clinical ..
- GIARDIASIS & CRPTOSPORIDIOSIS IN CHILDRENRichard Deckelbaum; Fiscal Year: 1993..ICIDR program comprises a multidisciplinary and coordinated set of epidemiological, clinical, and laboratory research activities in enteric parasitic disease, and will specifically focus on giardiasis and cryptosporidiosis...
- Study of Energy and AgingSteven Cummings; Fiscal Year: 2009..Participants will be recruited and examined by experienced research centers at the Universities of Pittsburgh, Wake Forest and Arkansas for Medical Sciences, and the study will be ..