Genomes and Genes
Summary: The process in which energy is removed from a beam of light or other electromagnetic radiation and emitted without appreciable change in wavelength. May be considered as the change in direction of a particle or photon owing to a collision with another particle or system.
Publications316 found, 100 shown here
- Fundamental x-ray interaction limits in diagnostic imaging detectors: spatial resolutionG Hajdok
Imaging Research Laboratories, Robarts Research Institute, P O Box 5015, London, Ontario N6A 5K8, Canada
Med Phys 35:3180-93. 2008..v) The effective aperture results reported here represent fundamental spatial resolution limits of the materials tested and serve as target benchmarks for the design and development of future digital x-ray detectors...
- Determination of domain structure of proteins from X-ray solution scatteringD I Svergun
European Molecular Biology Laboratory, Hamburg Outstation, D 22603 Hamburg, Germany
Biophys J 80:2946-53. 2001..The new method substantially improves the resolution and reliability of models derived from scattering data and makes solution scattering a useful technique in large-scale structural characterization of proteins...
- Identification and prediction of promiscuous aggregating inhibitors among known drugsJames Seidler
Department of Molecular Pharmacology and Biological Chemistry, Northwestern University, 303 East Chicago Avenue, Chicago, Illinois 60611, USA
J Med Chem 46:4477-86. 2003..Nevertheless, at high enough concentrations (20-400 microM), some drugs can aggregate and act promiscuously, suggesting that aggregation may be common among small molecules at micromolar concentrations, at least in biochemical buffers...
- Fourier transform light scattering of inhomogeneous and dynamic structuresHuafeng Ding
Quantitative Light Imaging Laboratory, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Beckman Institute for Advanced Science and Technology, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, Urbana, Illinois 61801, USA
Phys Rev Lett 101:238102. 2008....
- Kinase inhibitors: not just for kinases anymoreSusan L McGovern
Department of Molecular Pharmacology and Biological Chemistry, Northwestern University, 303 East Chicago Avenue, Chicago, Illinois 60611, USA
J Med Chem 46:1478-83. 2003..Results obtained from the use of these compounds at micromolar or higher concentrations against individual enzymes should be interpreted cautiously...
- Light scattering measurements of subcellular structure provide noninvasive early detection of chemotherapy-induced apoptosisKevin J Chalut
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Fitzpatrick Institute for Photonics, Duke University, Durham, North Carolina 27708, USA
Cancer Res 69:1199-204. 2009..These results suggest that a/LCI may have utility in detecting early apoptotic events for both clinical and basic science applications...
- Multilamellar bodies as potential scattering particles in human age-related nuclear cataractsK O Gilliland
Department of Cell and Developmental Biology, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC 27599-7090, USA
Mol Vis 7:120-30. 2001....
- GTP hydrolysis of cell division protein FtsZ: evidence that the active site is formed by the association of monomersDirk Jan Scheffers
Department of Microbiology, Groningen Biomolecular Sciences and Biotechnology Institute, University of Groningen, Kerklaan 30, 9751 NN Haren, The Netherlands
Biochemistry 41:521-9. 2002..We conclude that the T7-loop is part of the active site for GTP hydrolysis, formed by the association of two FtsZ monomers...
- Localized measurement of optical attenuation coefficients of atherosclerotic plaque constituents by quantitative optical coherence tomographyFreek J van der Meer
Laser Center, Academic Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
IEEE Trans Med Imaging 24:1369-76. 2005..Combining morphological imaging by OCT with the observed differences in optical attenuation coefficients of the various regions may enhance discrimination between various plaque types...
- Stability and equilibria of promiscuous aggregates in high protein milieusKristin E D Coan
Dept of Pharmaceutical Chemistry, University of California San Francisco, Byers Hall, San Francisco, CA 94158, USA
Mol Biosyst 3:208-13. 2007..These results suggest that enzyme is bound to aggregate so tightly as to prevent any noticeable dissociation and that furthermore, aggregates are stable at physiologically relevant concentrations of protein...
- Analysis of nuclear fiber cell cytoplasmic texture in advanced cataractous lenses from Indian subjects using Debye-Bueche theoryS Metlapally
Department of Cell and Developmental Biology, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, North Carolina, NC 27599 7090, USA
Exp Eye Res 86:434-44. 2008....
- Optical properties of tissues quantified by Fourier-transform light scatteringHuafeng Ding
Quantitative Light Imaging Laboratory, Beckman Institute for Advanced Science and Technology, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, Urbana, Illinois 61801, USA
Opt Lett 34:1372-4. 2009..This "bottom up" approach to measuring tissue scattering parameters allows for predicting the wave transport phenomena within the organ of interest at a multitude of scales-from organelle to organ level...
- Radiation scattering to the primary surgeon during closed locked femoral nailingBanchong Mahaisavariya
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery and Rehabilitation, Faculty of Medicine, Siriraj Hospital, Bangkok 10700, Thailand
J Med Assoc Thai 88:252-5. 2005..It was also found that the group using the C-arm model BV 300 (n = 16) had significant lesser fluoroscopic time and less radiation scattering to the primary surgeon than the group with model BV 212 (n = 34).
- Dynamic imaging of cerebral blood flow using laser speckleA K Dunn
NMR Center, and Stroke and Neurovascular Regulation Laboratory, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Charlestown, Massachusetts 02129, USA
J Cereb Blood Flow Metab 21:195-201. 2001..This technique is easy to implement and can be used to monitor the spatial and temporal evolution of CBF changes with high resolution in studies of cerebral pathophysiology...
- Control of the internal structure of MLO-based isasomes by the addition of diglycerol monooleate and soybean phosphatidylcholineAnan Yaghmur
Institute of Chemistry, University of Graz, A 8010 Graz, Austria, and Nestle Research Center, Lausanne, Switzerland
Langmuir 22:9919-27. 2006....
- Experimental verification of T-matrix-based inverse light scattering analysis for assessing structure of spheroids as models of cell nucleiCyrus Amoozegar
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Fitzpatrick Institute for Photonics, Duke University, Durham, North Carolina 27708, USA
Appl Opt 48:D20-5. 2009..In comparison, analysis using the T-matrix method is highly accurate and more reliable yet requires measurements from only a single orientation...
- Turbidity suppression from the ballistic to the diffusive regime in biological tissues using optical phase conjugationEmily J McDowell
California Institute of Technology, Department of Bioengineering, 1200 East California Boulevard, Mail Code 136 93, Pasadena, California 91125, USA
J Biomed Opt 15:025004. 2010..Our results describe the highest level of scattering that has been phase conjugated in biological tissues to date...
- Surface-assisted assembly of an ionic-complementary peptide: controllable growth of nanofibersHong Yang
Department of Chemical Engineering, University of Waterloo, 200 University Avenue West, Waterloo, Ontario N2L 3G1, Canada
J Am Chem Soc 129:12200-10. 2007..In addition, the potential of this finding to construct biocompatible electrodes for biomolecular sensing is also discussed...
- Validation of an integrated Raman- and angular-scattering microscopy system on heterogeneous bead mixtures and single human immune cellsZachary J Smith
Institute of Optics, University of Rochester, Rochester, New York 14627, USA
Appl Opt 48:D109-20. 2009..Both the Raman- and the elastic-scattering channels show clear differences between the two types of immune cells...
- In vivo dynamic optical coherence elastography using a ring actuatorBrendan F Kennedy
School of Electrical, Electronic and Computer Engineering, The University of Western Australia, Crawley, Western Australia, Australia
Opt Express 17:21762-72. 2009..The results constitute the first demonstration of a practical means of performing in vivo dynamic optical coherence elastography on a human subject...
- Imaging subcellular scattering contrast by using combined optical coherence and multiphoton microscopyShuo Tang
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of British Columbia, Vancouver V6T 1Z4, Canada
Opt Lett 32:503-5. 2007..There is little contribution to scattering from regions inside the nuclear core. These results confirm that light scattering signals from specific subcellular structures can be visualized by using coherent reflectance geometry...
- What can light scattering spectroscopy do for membrane-active peptide studies?Marco M Domingues
Instituto de Medicina Molecular, Faculdade de Medicina da Universidade de Lisboa, Av Prof Egas Moniz, 1649 028, Lisboa, Portugal
J Pept Sci 14:394-400. 2008..The high charge of these peptides allows electrostatic attraction toward charged lipid vesicles, which is studied by zeta potential (zeta-potential) measurements...
- Fold-unfold transitions in the selectivity and mechanism of action of the N-terminal fragment of the bactericidal/permeability-increasing protein (rBPI(21))Marco M Domingues
Instituto de Medicina Molecular, Faculdade de Medicina da Universidade de Lisboa, Lisbon, Portugal
Biophys J 96:987-96. 2009..The unfolding ensures protein aggregation, established by protein-protein interaction at membrane surface or between adjacent membranes covered by the unfolded protein. This protein aggregation step may lead to membrane perturbation...
- Stabilization of a hydrophobic recombinant cytokine by human serum albuminAndrea Hawe
Department of Pharmacy, Pharmaceutical Technology and Biopharmaceutics, Ludwig Maximilians University Munich, Germany
J Pharm Sci 96:2987-99. 2007..The positive effect of NaCl on the formulation could be attributed to a direct stabilization of HSA and weaker interactions between HSA and the cytokine, which in consequence provided an overall stabilization of the cytokine...
- Tuning curvature and stability of monoolein bilayers by designer lipid-like peptide surfactantsAnan Yaghmur
Institute of Biophysics and Nanosystems Research IBN, Austrian Academy of Sciences, Graz, Austria
PLoS ONE 2:e479. 2007..KA(6)), affects significantly the peptide's effectiveness. Only KA(6) displays a propensity to promote the formation of H(2), which suggests that KA(6) molecules have a higher degree of incorporation in the interface than those of A(6)K...
- Short-range order of crystallin proteins accounts for eye lens transparencyM Delaye
Nature 302:415-7. 1983..In addition, we detected no conformational change or reorganization of the crystallin proteins throughout the investigated concentration range...
- Evaluation of 3D Monte Carlo-based scatter correction for 201Tl cardiac perfusion SPECTJianbin Xiao
Department of Nuclear Medicine, Image Sciences Institute, University Medical Centre Utrecht, Utrecht, The Netherlands
J Nucl Med 48:637-44. 2007..Monte Carlo simulation is a general and accurate method well suited to modeling this scatter...
- Deamidation alters the structure and decreases the stability of human lens betaA3-crystallinTakumi Takata
Department of Integrative Biosciences, School of Dentistry, Oregon Health and Science University, 611 SW Campus Drive, Portland, Oregon 97239 3098, USA
Biochemistry 46:8861-71. 2007..These results suggest that introducing charges at the predicted domain interface in the betaA3 homodimer may contribute to the insolubilization of lens crystallins or favor other, more stable, crystallin subunit interactions...
- Structural characterization of flexible proteins using small-angle X-ray scatteringPau Bernado
European Molecular Biology Laboratory, Hamburg Outstation, 22603 Hamburg, Germany
J Am Chem Soc 129:5656-64. 2007..In the latter case, EOM is able to distinguish between rigid and flexible proteins and to directly assess the interdomain contacts...
- GTP analogue inhibits polymerization and GTPase activity of the bacterial protein FtsZ without affecting its eukaryotic homologue tubulinTilman Läppchen
Bioorganic Chemistry, van t Hoff Institute for Molecular Sciences, University of Amsterdam, Nieuwe Achtergracht 129, 1018 WS Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Biochemistry 44:7879-84. 2005..8 +/- 4.1 microM. The observation that BrGTP seems not to inhibit tubulin assembly suggests a structural difference of the GTP-binding pockets of FtsZ and tubulin...
- Concentration and pH dependent aggregation of hydrophobic drug molecules and relevance to oral bioavailabilityYulia Volovik Frenkel
Center for Advanced Biotechnology and Medicine and Department of Chemistry and Chemical Biology, Rutgers University, 679 Hoes Lane, Piscataway, New Jersey 08854, USA
J Med Chem 48:1974-83. 2005..We propose a model in which the uptake rate into systemic circulation depends on having hydrophobic drug aggregates of appropriate size available for absorption at different locations within the GI tract...
- Spatial variations in optical and physiological properties of healthy breast tissueNatasha Shah
Beckman Laser Institute, University of California Irvine, 1002 Health Sciences Road, Irvine, CA 92612, USA
J Biomed Opt 9:534-40. 2004....
- Measuring morphological features using light-scattering spectroscopy and Fourier-domain low-coherence interferometryFrancisco E Robles
Department of Medical Physics, Duke University, Durham, North Carolina 27708, USA
Opt Lett 35:360-2. 2010..The spectral information from localized regions in the sample is used to determine scatterer structure. The results show that the two scatterer populations can be differentiated using LSS and fLCI...
- Time-dependent speckle in holographic optical coherence imaging and the health of tumor tissueP Yu
Department of Physics and Astronomy, University of Missouri Columbia, Columbia, Missouri 65211, USA
Opt Lett 29:68-70. 2004..Organelle motility in healthy tissue appears as super-Brownian laser speckle, whereas chemically fixed tissue exhibits static speckle...
- Behavior of Tn3 resolvase in solution and its interaction with resMarcelo Nollmann
Division of Molecular Genetics, Institute of Biomedical and Life Sciences, University of Glasgow, Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
Biophys J 89:1920-31. 2005..It was found that site II and site III have the highest affinity for Tn3R, followed by site I. Finally, the affinity of Tn3R for nonspecific DNA was assayed by competition experiments...
- Lysosome-damage-induced scattering changes coincide with release of cytochrome cJeremy D Wilson
Department of Physics and Astronomy, University of Rochester, Rochester, New York 14627, USA
Opt Lett 32:2517-9. 2007....
- Field-based angle-resolved light-scattering study of single live cellsWonshik Choi
G R Harrison Spectroscopy Laboratory, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02139, USA
Opt Lett 33:1596-8. 2008....
- Analytical model of light reflectance for extraction of the optical properties in small volumes of turbid mediaRoberto Reif
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Boston University, 44 Cummington Street, 4th Floor, Boston, Massachusetts 02215, USA
Appl Opt 46:7317-28. 2007..Accurate extraction of tissue optical properties from in vivo spectral measurements could have potential applications in detecting, noninvasively and in real time, epithelial (pre)cancers...
- Antibody response to aggregated human interferon alpha2b in wild-type and transgenic immune tolerant mice depends on type and level of aggregationSuzanne Hermeling
Department of Pharmaceutics, Utrecht Institute for Pharmaceutical Sciences UIPS, Utrecht University, P O BOX 80082, 3508 TB Utrecht, The Netherlands
J Pharm Sci 95:1084-96. 2006..In conclusion, the transgenic mouse model can be used to screen rhIFNalpha2b formulations for low levels of immunogenic aggregates obtained under accelerated storage conditions...
- Experimental investigation of the response of an amorphous silicon EPID to intensity modulated radiotherapy beamsPeter B Greer
Calvary Mater Newcastle Hospital, Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia
Med Phys 34:4389-98. 2007..Accounting for the difference in EPID response to open and MLCtr radiation should improve IMRT dosimetry with a-Si EPIDs...
- Comparison of spatially and temporally resolved diffuse-reflectance measurement systems for determination of biomedical optical propertiesJohannes Swartling
Department of Physics, Lund Institute of Technology, P O Box 118, SE 22100 Lund, Sweden
Appl Opt 42:4612-20. 2003..05 cm(-1) for the absorption coefficient in the interval 0.05-0.30 cm(-1)...
- Fiber-optic interferometric two-dimensional scattering-measurement systemYizheng Zhu
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Duke University, Durham, North Carolina 27708, USA
Opt Lett 35:1641-3. 2010..Experimental data from samples with different sizes and acquired with different polarizations show excellent agreement with Mie theory, producing structural measurements with subwavelength accuracy...
- Structural characterization and immunogenicity in wild-type and immune tolerant mice of degraded recombinant human interferon alpha2bSuzanne Hermeling
Central Laboratory Animal Institute, Utrecht University, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Pharm Res 22:1997-2006. 2005..This study was conducted to study the influence of protein structure on the immunogenicity in wild-type and immune tolerant mice of well-characterized degradation products of recombinant human interferon alpha2b (rhIFNalpha2b)...
- Effects of lipid confinement on insulin stability and amyloid formationJulia Kraineva
Department of Chemistry, Physical Chemistry I Biophysical Chemistry, University of Dortmund, Otto Hahn Strasse 6, D 44227 Dortmund, Germany
Langmuir 23:7118-26. 2007..Furthermore, the results provide new insights into the effects of soft-matter confinement on protein aggregation and fibrillation, a situation usually met in natural cell environments...
- In vivo endoscopic tissue diagnostics based on spectroscopic absorption, scattering, and phase function propertiesPhilippe Thueler
Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, Applied Optics Institute, PO Box 127, CH 1015 Lausanne, Switzerland
J Biomed Opt 8:495-503. 2003..The method and the instrument show promise for noninvasive tissue diagnostics of various epithelia...
- Sources of absorption and scattering contrast for near-infrared optical mammographyA E Cerussi
Beckman Laser Institute and Medical Clinic, University of California, Irvine 92612, USA
Acad Radiol 8:211-8. 2001..NIR spectroscopy yields quantitative functional information that cannot be obtained with other noninvasive radiologic techniques...
- Efficient fully 3-D iterative SPECT reconstruction with Monte Carlo-based scatter compensationFreek J Beekman
Department of Nuclear Medicine, Image Sciences Institute, University Medical Center Utrecht, Room E02 222, Heidelberglaan 100, 3584 CX, Utrecht, The Netherlands
IEEE Trans Med Imaging 21:867-77. 2002....
- Slow polymerization of Mycobacterium tuberculosis FtsZE L White
Drug Discovery Division, Southern Research Institute, Birmingham, AL 35205, USA
J Bacteriol 182:4028-34. 2000..tuberculosis FtsZ polymerization, inhibits GTP hydrolysis, and reduces the number and sizes of FtsZ polymers...
- Scanning fiber angle-resolved low coherence interferometryYizheng Zhu
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Duke University, Durham, North Carolina 27708, USA
Opt Lett 34:3196-8. 2009..We characterize the optical performance of the probe and demonstrate the ability to execute depth-resolved sizing with subwavelength accuracy by using a double-layer phantom containing two sizes of polystyrene microspheres...
- Decreased heat stability and increased chaperone requirement of modified human betaB1-crystallinsKirsten J Lampi
Department of Oral Molecular Biology, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, OR, USA
Mol Vis 8:359-66. 2002..To determine how deamidation and partial loss of the N- and C-terminal extensions alter the heat stability of betaB1-crystallin...
- Polarized angular dependent spectroscopy of epithelial cells and epithelial cell nuclei to determine the size scale of scattering structuresJ R Mourant
Los Alamos National Laboratory, Bioscience Division, Los Alamos, New Mexico 87545, USA
J Biomed Opt 7:378-87. 2002..Light scattering is likely sensitive to structures smaller than those commonly investigated by standard pathology methods...
- Fast implementations of reconstruction-based scatter compensation in fully 3D SPECT image reconstructionD J Kadrmas
Department of Biomedical Engineering, The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 27599, USA
Phys Med Biol 43:857-73. 1998..Using these methods, fully 3D iterative reconstruction with RBSC can be performed well within the realm of clinically realistic times (under 10 minutes for 64 x 64 x 24 image reconstruction)...
- Predicted light scattering from particles observed in human age-related nuclear cataracts using mie scattering theoryM Joseph Costello
Department of Cell and Developmental Biology, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 48:303-12. 2007..To employ Mie scattering theory to predict the light-scattering from micrometer-sized particles surrounded by lipid shells, called multilamellar bodies (MLBs), reported in human age-related nuclear cataracts...
- Study of smoke aerosols under a controlled environment by using dynamic light scatteringRavindra Pratap Singh
Physical Research Laboratory, Navrangpura, Ahmedabad, India
Appl Opt 45:2217-21. 2006..The effects of temperature and concentration on aerosol size were also observed. We found that aerosol size increases almost linearly with an increase in concentration but decreases with an increase in temperature...
- Synergistic effect of hyperosmotic agents of dimethyl sulfoxide and glycerol on optical clearing of gastric tissue studied with near infrared spectroscopyXiangqun Xu
Biophotonics Laboratory, Institute of BioScience and Technology, Cranfield University at Silsoe, Bedfordshire MK45 4DT, UK
Phys Med Biol 49:457-68. 2004..In other words, the clearing effect of glycerol is enhanced by adding DMSO into it. It is suggested that membrane penetration and carrier effect of DMSO probably accounts for this synergistic effect...
- Violet and blue light blocking intraocular lenses: photoprotection versus photoreceptionM A Mainster
PhD, MD, FRCOphth, Department of Ophthalmology, MS3009, University of Kansas Medical School, 3901 Rainbow Boulevard, Kansas City, KS 66160 7379, USA
Br J Ophthalmol 90:784-92. 2006..To analyse how intraocular lens (IOL) chromophores affect retinal photoprotection and the sensitivity of scotopic vision, melanopsin photoreception, and melatonin suppression...
- Distribution, spherical structure and predicted Mie scattering of multilamellar bodies in human age-related nuclear cataractsKurt O Gilliland
Department of Cell and Developmental Biology, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC, USA
Exp Eye Res 79:563-76. 2004..Previous studies restricted to the equatorial plane have shown that MLBs are rare spherical objects that are 1-4 microm in diameter and covered by multiple layers of thin lipid-rich membranes...
- Cellular organization and substructure measured using angle-resolved low-coherence interferometryAdam Wax
G R Harrison Spectroscopy Laboratory, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge Massachusetts 02139, USA
Biophys J 82:2256-64. 2002..We also identify spatial correlations on a scale large compared with the size of a cell, indicating an overlying order within the monolayer...
- Deamidation of human beta B1 alters the elongated structure of the dimerK J Lampi
Department of Oral Molecular Biology, Oregon Health Sciences University, Portland, OR 97201, USA
Exp Eye Res 72:279-88. 2001..Truncation caused abnormal column interactions suggesting an altered conformation. These changes are important because truncation and deamidation occur extensively in aging human lenses and may be important for senile cataract formation...
- Comparison of ultraviolet induced photo-kinetics for lens-derived and recombinant beta-crystallinsM A Ostrovsky
Institute of Biochemical Physics, Moscow, Russia
Mol Vis 8:72-8. 2002..Here we examine photo-induced aggregation of purified recombinant mouse betaA3-crystallin (rbetaA3) and compare it with that of betaL-crystallins isolated from bovine lenses...
- Molecular self-assembly of surfactant-like peptides to form nanotubes and nanovesiclesSylvain Vauthey
Center for Biomedical Engineering, 56 341, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 77 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge, MA 02139 4307, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 99:5355-60. 2002..Studies of peptide surfactant molecules have significant implications in the design of nonlipid biological surfactants and the understanding of the complexity and dynamics of the self-assembly processes...
- Aggregation of lens crystallins in an in vivo hyperbaric oxygen guinea pig model of nuclear cataract: dynamic light-scattering and HPLC analysisM Francis Simpanya
Eye Research Institute, Oakland University, Rochester, Michigan 48309 4480, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 46:4641-51. 2005..The purpose of this study was to investigate lens crystallin aggregate formation in hyperbaric oxygen (HBO)-treated guinea pigs by using in vivo and in vitro..
- Effect of deamidation of asparagine 146 on functional and structural properties of human lens alphaB-crystallinRatna Gupta
Department of Physiological Optics, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama 35294 4390, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 45:206-14. 2004..To elucidate the effect of deamidation on the structural and functional properties of human alphaB-crystallin...
- Efficient simulation of SPECT down-scatter including photon interactions with crystal and leadHugo W A M de Jong
Image Sciences Institute, University Medical Center, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Med Phys 29:550-60. 2002..We conclude that accurate and efficient simulation of down-scatter is now possible including the major effects of the nonuniform mass density of the patient as well as photon interactions with the crystal and collimator lead...
- Protein hydration in solution: experimental observation by x-ray and neutron scatteringD I Svergun
European Molecular Biology Laboratory, Hamburg Outstation, Notkestrasse 85, D 22603 Hamburg, Germany
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 95:2267-72. 1998..Comparisons with the results of other studies suggest that this may be a general property of aqueous interfaces...
- A quantitative analysis of sutural contributions to variability in back vertex distance and transmittance in rabbit lenses as a function of development, growth, and ageJ R Kuszak
Department of Pathology, Rush Presbyterian St Luke s Medical Center, Chicago, Illinois 60612, USA
Optom Vis Sci 79:193-204. 2002..To correlate specific parameters of lens structure (anterior and posterior suture branch length and planar area) with variability in back vertex distance (BVD) and scatter in rabbit lenses as a function of development, growth, and age...
- Quantitative myocardial perfusion SPECTB M Tsui
Department of Biomedical Engineering, The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 27599 7575, USA
J Nucl Cardiol 5:507-22. 1998..We conclude that quantitative myocardial perfusion SPECT, which holds great promise to improve clinical diagnosis, is an achievable goal in the near future...
- Light scattering model for donor lenses as a function of depthT J van den Berg
Netherlands Ophthalmic Research Institute, University of Amsterdam
Vision Res 39:1437-45. 1999..000006 of the lens volume, with the lowest values in the nucleus. Component (3) is important for a small range of backward directions only, being much stronger in extranuclear areas than in the nucleus...
- Spermine-induced aggregation of DNA, nucleosome, and chromatinE Raspaud
Laboratoire de Physique des Solides, CNRS UMR 8502, Universite Paris Sud, 91405 Orsay Cedex, France
Biophys J 77:1547-55. 1999..This suggests that local fluctuations of polyamine concentrations can induce either positively or negatively charged chromatin domains...
- Evaluation of 3D Monte Carlo-based scatter correction for 99mTc cardiac perfusion SPECTJianbin Xiao
Department of Nuclear Medicine, Image Sciences Institute, University Medical Center Utrecht, Universiteitsweg 100, Utrecht, The Netherlands
J Nucl Med 47:1662-9. 2006..Both of these scatter correction methods were used in conjunction with attenuation correction and resolution recovery...
- Inhibition of kinesin motor proteins by adociasulfate-2Khalilah G Reddie
Department of Chemistry and the Center for Advanced Ultrastructural Research, University of Georgia, Athens, Georgia 30602 2556, USA
J Med Chem 49:4857-60. 2006..This mode of action might represent one way in which a small molecule can disrupt a protein-protein interaction...
- DNA condensation by polyamines: a laser light scattering study of structural effectsV Vijayanathan
Department of Medicine, The Cancer Institute of New Jersey, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, New Brunswick, New Jersey 08903, USA
Biochemistry 40:13644-51. 2001..These data suggest that the chemical structure of isovalent polyamines exerts a profound influence on their ability to recognize and condense DNA, and on the size of the DNA condensates formed in aqueous solution...
- Scattered-light imaging in vivo tracks fast and slow processes of neurophysiological activationD M Rector
Biophysics Group, Los Alamos National Laboratory, Los Alamos, New Mexico 87545, USA
Neuroimage 14:977-94. 2001..Two slow optical components appear to correspond to hemodynamic responses to metabolic demand associated with activation. Two fast optical components paralleled electrical evoked responses...
- Analysis of laser scattering pattern as an early measure of apoptosisZ Shiffer
Physics Department, Bar-Ilan University, Ramat-Gan, 52900, Israel
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 289:1320-7. 2001..Another advantage gained by the use of this method is the ability to repeatedly trace the same cells and to monitor the kinetics of their size changes...
- Dimensions of plectonemically supercoiled DNASvetlana S Zakharova
Leiden Institute of Chemistry, Leiden University, 2300 RA Leiden, The Netherlands
Biophys J 83:1106-18. 2002..It is our conjecture that the free energy associated with this excess twist is of paramount importance in controlling the critical boundaries pertaining to the transition to the anisotropic, liquid-crystalline phase...
- Analysis of the human replication protein A:Rad52 complex: evidence for crosstalk between RPA32, RPA70, Rad52 and DNADoba Jackson
Department of Chemistry, University of Toledo, 2801 West Bancroft Street, OH 43606 3390, USA
J Mol Biol 321:133-48. 2002..Implications for these results for the "hand-off" mechanism between protein-protein partners, including Rad51, in homologous recombination and single-strand annealing are discussed...
- Association behaviour of human betaB1-crystallin and its truncated formsO A Bateman
Birkbeck College, Department of Crystallography, Malet Street, London, WC1E 7HX, UK
Exp Eye Res 73:321-31. 2001..Good crystals have been grown of a truncated version of human betaB1-crystallin using an in vitro cleavage protocol...
- Experimental validation of Monte Carlo modeling of fluorescence in tissues in the UV-visible spectrumQuan Liu
University of Wisconsin Madison, Department of Biomedical Engineering, Madison, Wisconsin 53706, USA
J Biomed Opt 8:223-36. 2003..The fiber optic probe geometries that are modeled in this study include those commonly used for measuring fluorescence from tissues in practice...
- Investigation of the optimal backscatter for an aSi electronic portal imaging deviceLung Ko
Department of Radiation Oncology, Medical College of Virginia Hospitals, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA 23298, USA
Phys Med Biol 49:1723-38. 2004..Overall, it is determined that adding approximately 5 mm of Pb between the detector and the mechanical support structure will substantially reduce the nonuniformity in the backscattered signals for 6 MV and 18 MV photon beams...
- Using light scattering to determine the stoichiometry of protein complexesJeremy Mogridge
Department of Laboratory Medicine and Pathobiology, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Methods Mol Biol 261:113-8. 2004..The determination of the molecular weight of an anthrax toxin complex will be examined to illustrate how multiangle laser light scattering can be used to determine the stoichiometry of protein complexes...
- Asymmetrical flow field-flow fractionation and multiangle light scattering for analysis of gelatin nanoparticle drug carrier systemsWolfgang Fraunhofer
Abbott GmbH and Co KG, Department Pharmaceutical Development, Knollstrasse, 67008 Ludwigshafen, Germany
Anal Chem 76:1909-20. 2004....
- Comparison of scanning electron microscopy, dynamic light scattering and analytical ultracentrifugation for the sizing of poly(butyl cyanoacrylate) nanoparticlesAlexander Bootz
Institut fur Pharmazeutische Technologie, Johann Wolfgang Goethe Universitat, Frankfurt, Germany
Eur J Pharm Biopharm 57:369-75. 2004..Molar particle mass distributions centered around 2.3x10(9) g/mol. The advantages and disadvantages of the three sizing techniques are discussed...
- Laser light-scattering evidence for an altered association of beta B1-crystallin deamidated in the connecting peptideMichael J Harms
Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, OR 97239, USA
Protein Sci 13:678-86. 2004..Deamidation at Gln146, but not Asn157, led to an increased tendency of beta B1 to aggregate upon heating. We conclude that deamidation creates unique effects depending upon where the deamidation is introduced in the crystallin structure...
- Fluorescence-enhanced optical tomography using referenced measurements of heterogeneous mediaRanadhir Roy
The Photon Migration Laboratories, Texas A and M University, College Station, TX 77843 3573, USA
IEEE Trans Med Imaging 22:824-36. 2003..Furthermore, we demonstrate the performance of the bounding parameter for rejection of background artifacts owing to background tissue heterogeneity...
- Formation of DNA nanoparticles in the presence of novel polyamine analogues: a laser light scattering and atomic force microscopic studyVeena Vijayanathan
Department of Medicine, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, 125 Paterson Street, CAB7090, New Brunswick, NJ 08903, USA
Nucleic Acids Res 32:127-34. 2004..These studies might help to develop novel nonviral gene delivery vehicles...
- Human-observer receiver-operating-characteristic evaluation of attenuation, scatter, and resolution compensation strategies for (99m)Tc myocardial perfusion imagingManoj V Narayanan
Department of Radiology, University of Massachusetts Medical School, Worcester, Massachusetts 01655, USA
J Nucl Med 44:1725-34. 2003....
- Measurement of rapid changes in cell volume by forward light scatteringS P Srinivas
School of Optometry, Indiana University, Bloomington, IN 47405, USA
Pflugers Arch 447:97-108. 2003..Bumetanide and dihydro-ouabain inhibited increases in SLI during RVI. In conclusion, FLS is a valid method for qualitative analysis of cell volume changes with a high time resolution...
- The effects of internal refractive index variation in near-infrared optical tomography: a finite element modelling approachHamid Dehghani
Thayer School of Engineering, Dartmouth College, Hanover, New Hampshire 03755, USA
Phys Med Biol 48:2713-27. 2003....
- BCL-xL-dependent light scattering by apoptotic cellsNada N Boustany
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Rutgers University, Piscataway, New Jersey 08854, USA
Biophys J 87:4163-71. 2004....
- Bilayer interaction and localization of cell penetrating peptides with model membranes: a comparative study of a human calcitonin (hCT)-derived peptide with pVEC and pAntp(43-58)Michael E Herbig
Drug Formulation and Delivery Group, Department of Chemistry and Applied Biosciences, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zurich ETH Zurich, Wolfgang Pauli Strasse 10, CH 8093 Zurich, Switzerland
Biochim Biophys Acta 1712:197-211. 2005..Generally, we found strong peptide-phospholipid interactions, especially when negatively charged lipids were present...
- New methods for measuring macromolecular interactions in solution via static light scattering: basic methodology and application to nonassociating and self-associating proteinsArun K Attri
Section on Physical Biochemistry, Laboratory of Biochemistry and Genetics, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, National Institutes of Health, U S Department of Health and Human Services, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Anal Biochem 337:103-10. 2005....
- Light scattering from intact cells reports oxidative-stress-induced mitochondrial swellingJeremy D Wilson
Department of Physics and Astronomy, University of Rochester, Rochester, New York 14642, USA
Biophys J 88:2929-38. 2005..Thus, in this system, angularly resolved light scattering reports oxidative-stress-induced changes in mitochondrial morphology...
- Analysis of nuclear fiber cell compaction in transparent and cataractous diabetic human lenses by scanning electron microscopyChristopher D Freel
Department of Cell and Developmental Biology, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC, USA
BMC Ophthalmol 3:1. 2003..The hypothesis is that, even in the presence of the osmotic stress caused by diabetes, compaction rather than swelling occurs in the nucleus of diabetic lenses...
- The ciliary corona: physical model and simulation of the fine needles radiating from point light sourcesThomas J T P van den Berg
Netherlands Ophthalmic Research Institute, The Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 46:2627-32. 2005..Most people see, around bright lights against dark backgrounds, a radiating pattern of numerous fine, slightly colored needles of light-the so called ciliary corona. The purpose of this study was to try to explain this phenomenon...
- Sources of scattering in cervical tissue: determination of the scattering coefficient by confocal microscopyTom Collier
Department of Biomedical Engineering, The University of Texas at Austin, Austin, Texas 78712, USA
Appl Opt 44:2072-81. 2005..In high-grade dysplasia, high scattering from high-density nuclei is observed throughout the entire epithelium...
- Monte Carlo and discrete-ordinate simulations of spectral radiances in a coupled air-tissue systemKjersti Hestenes
Department of Physics and Technology, University of Bergen, Bergen, Norway
Appl Opt 46:2333-50. 2007..The CAT-DISORT code is found to be approximately 1000 times faster than the CAT-MC code. We also show that the spectral radiance field is strongly dependent on the inherent optical properties of the skin tissue...
- Nonparaxial effects on the propagation and scattering of a polarized optical pulseMousumi Ballav
High Energy Physics Division, Department of Physics, Jadavpur University, Kolkata 700032, India
Chaos 17:013102. 2007..Lastly, we have investigated the modulational instability of the system as function of frequency detuning and nonparaxiality. The form of the gain is discussed as a function of nonparaxiality...
- Quantitative photoacoustic tomography from boundary pressure measurements: noniterative recovery of optical absorption coefficient from the reconstructed absorbed energy mapBiswanath Banerjee
Structures Laboratory, Department of Civil Engineering, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, India
J Opt Soc Am A Opt Image Sci Vis 25:2347-56. 2008..In the absence of experimental data, we obtain the boundary measurements through Monte Carlo simulations, and we attempt to address the possible limitations of the DE model in the overall reconstruction procedure...
- Modeling the radiation pattern of LEDsIvan Moreno
Unidad Academica de Fisica, Universidad Autonoma de Zacatecas, Zacatecas 98060, Mexico
Opt Express 16:1808-19. 2008..The resulting equation is widely applicable for any kind of LED of practical interest. We accurately model a wide variety of radiation patterns from several world-class manufacturers...
- Huygens's secondary-sources dimensionsJ A Romero
Department of General Physics, Faculty of Physics, University of Havana, Colina Universitaria, 10400 Havana, Cuba
J Opt Soc Am A Opt Image Sci Vis 24:1071-3. 2007..We also illustrate that Huygens's secondary sources, which act as emitters of secondary wavelets, have a finite dimension equal to 3 pi/2k(2)...
- Designing the optical interface of a transcutaneous optical telemetry linkD Michael Ackermann
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
IEEE Trans Biomed Eng 55:1365-73. 2008..This paper demonstrates some of the tradeoffs involved in the selection of these design parameters and provides suggestions for link design. This analysis may also be useful for transcutaneous optical powering systems...
- CONFORMATION AND DYNAMICS OF POLYSACCHARIDESDavid Brant; Fiscal Year: 2001..Nuclear magnetic resonance techniques probe both shape and molecular dynamics. Radiation scattering techniques are useful to characterize random coil and ordered forms...
- Accurate, easy-to-commission radiotherapy beam modelsBruce Faddegon; Fiscal Year: 2008..This will allow clinics around the country to take advantage of the computational accuracy of this state-of-the-art clinical tool. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Breast CT scanner for earlier cancer detectionJohn Boone; Fiscal Year: 2002..that particularly warrant screening using breast CT. The Phase II trial will shed more light on this issue. ..
- Mouse Modeling Techniques for Bioluminescence TomographyWenxiang Cong; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Hybrid Nuclear/X-ray Projection System for Mouse ImagingJohn Boone; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Feasibility of CT in high risk breast cancer patientsJohn Boone; Fiscal Year: 2003..The results of this investigation should provide a clear understanding of the potential of breast CT as a tool to reduce breast cancer mortality in the population of women with dire risk of breast cancer. ..
- Cancer Risks Attributable To Radiation from Pediatric CTDavid Brenner; Fiscal Year: 2006..The target audiences will be radiologists, pediatricians, family physicians, and the CT industry. We will use telephone interviews supplemented with survey questions, to aid in web content decisions. ..
- High Stability Accelerator for Sub-Cellular MicrobeamDavid Brenner; Fiscal Year: 2003..We have considerably more demand for microbeam time than we can cope with, primarily because of limited physicist manpower. ..
- RADIOLOGICAL RESEARCH ACCELERATOR FACILITY (RARAF)David Brenner; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..
- Prediction of Second Cancer Risks for Children Treated with Proton - vs. - PhotonWayne D Newhauser; Fiscal Year: 2010..In the future, we expect that the lower-risk treatments will result in fewer second cancers and this will translate into longer, higher-quality lives for survivors of childhood cancer (presently 270,000 persons in the United States). ..
- Realtime Monitoring of Sublingual Blood VelocityLEONARD WINCHESTER; Fiscal Year: 2006..This research is to investigate the utility of a new imaging technique for real-time measurements of blood velocity of the patient's tongue in the intensive care units. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Light Scatter In Vivo Flow Cytometry to Monitor CancerIrene Georgakoudi; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Bi-Plane Correlation Imaging: Detection of Lung CancerEhsan Samei; Fiscal Year: 2007..The findings will be used to substantiate the capability of BCI for improving the early detection of lung nodules and to optimize its performance on actual clinical cases. ..
- 3D Noninvasive Temperature Estimation with UltrasoundR Arthur; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- MINORITY PREDOCTORAL FELLOWSHIP PROGRAMRoberto Reif; Fiscal Year: 2007..Another application for the OP system will include detecting changes in capillary permeability caused by anti-angiogenic therapy. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Noninvasive Methemoglobin Monitoring TechnologyLEONARD WINCHESTER; Fiscal Year: 2007..A noninvasive and reliable methemoglobin sensor will have great impact on therapeutic decision time. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- OPTICAL DETECTION OF INTRAVENOUS INFILTRATIONLEONARD WINCHESTER; Fiscal Year: 2008..Specific aims of the Competing Continuation effort are: to refine the IV infiltration detection device, to conduct a clinical trial, and to submit a 510 (k) application to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. ..
- RAMAN SPECTROSCOPY FOR CANCER DIAGNOSIS AND MONITORINGJudith Mourant; Fiscal Year: 2005..Consequently, treatments could be customized. ..
- INTERMEDIATES IN PROTEIN FOLDINGCarl Frieden; Fiscal Year: 2008..Both these projects employ novel real-time and equilibrium NMR methodology in addition to standard. ..
- Ultrasonic Assessment of the ForearmJonathan Kaufman; Fiscal Year: 2008..This should lead to earlier detection and treatment and ultimately to reductions in the number of fractures. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Alpha-Crystallin and CataractogensisJoseph Horwitz; Fiscal Year: 2009..These are excellent models for understanding the biochemical and biophysical changes that occur in age-related human cataract. ..
- ROLE OF TGFBETA IN CORNEAL STROMAL WOUND HEALINGJames V Jester; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Comparative In Vivo Biodistribution of Characterized Manufactured NanomaterialsNancy A Monteiro Riviere; Fiscal Year: 2010..These coordinated studies will provide data to link physical chemical characterizations to in vivo MNM disposition. ..
- Interdisciplinary researchers to address biomedical optics challenges, BIOMED 06Judith Mourant; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Raman Determination of Ligament TensionLEONARD WINCHESTER; Fiscal Year: 2006..Measurements of MCL and ACL ligaments as functions of applied stress will be used to demonstrate the feasibility of the proposed technique. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- STRUCTURAL CHANGES IN SIGNALING IN CALCIUM REGULATIONSJill Trewhella; Fiscal Year: 2001..Understanding the underlying molecular mechanisms of regulation is thus of fundamental importance in health research. ..
- Noninvasive Temperature Estimation with UltrasoundR Arthur; Fiscal Year: 2003..Because our approach exploits the inhomogeneities present in tissue, we believe that if it is successful in vitro; it holds promise for in vivo application. ..
- Optical Imaging of Retinal Blood CirculationLEONARD WINCHESTER; Fiscal Year: 2005..A noninvasive, realtime retinal imager allows the physicians to record and keep track of patients' retinal hemodynamics to detect early signs of ocular disorders. ..
- Clinical 3D Ultrasonic Assessment of the PhalangesJonathan Kaufman; Fiscal Year: 2005..The results of this study should allow development of a clinical prototype for non-invasive assessment of bone strength and fracture risk. ..
- Spatial & Temporal Interactions in Brightness PerceptionBarbara Blakeslee; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- A New System for Ultrasonic Bone AssessmentJonathan Kaufman; Fiscal Year: 2003..Ultrasound's importance will grow as various new pharmacologic agents are approved for treatment, thus requiring periodic assessments of efficacy. ..
- A New 2D Array System for Ultrasonic Bone AssessmentJonathan Kaufman; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Early Detection of Lung Cancer via Bi Plane CorrelationEhsan Samei; Fiscal Year: 2002..The findings will be used to demonstrate the capability of the approach for improving the detection of lung nodules, and thus the prognosis of lung cancer. ..
- MINORITY PREDOCTORAL FELLOWSHIP PROGRAMSHAKTI DAVIS; Fiscal Year: 2006..The proposed shape classification study may lead to future work on tumor classification for enhancing the specificity of microwave imaging as a breast cancer screening tool. ..
- Resolution requirements for mammographic displaysEhsan Samei; Fiscal Year: 2004..The results will be used to formulate recommendations to the breast imaging community concerning display resolution criteria for safe and optimized soft-copy display of digital mammograms. ..
- Hemodynamic Imaging for Brain Tumor PrognosisHanli Liu; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- SPLICE VARIANTS OF THE HA RECEPTOR FOR ENDOCYTOSISEdward Harris; Fiscal Year: 2005..The significance of HARE isoforms is the potential to create a family of receptors that bind/internalize a host of different GAGs. ..
- Dectection of occult mediastinal lymph node mestastasesMichael Wallace; Fiscal Year: 2007..In the R33 component of the grant application these criteria will be prospectively evaluated and correlated with clinical outcome in a second, larger cohort of patients. ..
- Multiprojection optical diffusion tomographyVadim Markel; Fiscal Year: 2006..Specific Aim 3: To use the experimental device of the Specific Aim 2 to image a small animal, such as a laboratory mouse. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- 3D and 3D-Axisymmetric Ultrasound Simulation SoftwareJonathan Kaufman; Fiscal Year: 2002..Applications broader than bone and osteoporosis, such as in non-destructive testing in general, would be expected to significantly increase. ..
- KERATOCYTE CRYSTALLIN PROTEINS AND CORNEAL TRANSPARENCYJAMES JESTER; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- Randomized Trial of EUS Neurolysis in Pancreas CancerMichael Wallace; Fiscal Year: 2006..The primary outcome will be a reduction in pain at 1 month. Secondary outcomes will include the durability of pain control, quality of life, narcotic use and narcotic side effects. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Technology Development in Optical Coherence TomographyEmily McDowell; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Optical Scatter MicroscopyNADA BOUSTANY; Fiscal Year: 2002..In this initial phase of development, the investigators will use OSM to study mitochondrial dysfunction during cell death. The long-term goal is to develop OSM as a tool for functional microscopy. ..
- BioMEMS Model of Glomerular FunctionWILLIAM FISSELL; Fiscal Year: 2008..Third, HP and s will be measured for the NM-PBM membrane. Fourth, data from (1-3) will be compared with existing predictive models of glomerular function. ..
- Real-Time PDT Dosimetry with Feedback Light DeliveryTimothy Zhu; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- BioMEMS Materials for Renal Tissue EngineeringWILLIAM FISSELL; Fiscal Year: 2004..Failure of RPTCs to grow on these substrates despite a variety of suface modifications would be extremely important, as it would indicate a need for new materials in bioengineering. ..