Genomes and Genes
Summary: Penetrating electromagnetic radiation emitted when the inner orbital electrons of an atom are excited and release energy - in the same energy range as gamma rays (0.010-10 Mev), but of non-nuclear origin, of shorter wavelength than ultraviolet; soft x-rays or Grenz rays are less penetrating and longer in wavelength than hard x-rays.
Publications231 found, 100 shown here
- Double strand break rejoining after irradiation of human fibroblasts with X rays or alpha particles: PFGE studies and numerical modelsM Pinto
Gray Cancer Institute, PO Box 100, Mount Vernon Hospital, Northwood, Middlesex HA6 2JR, UK
Radiat Prot Dosimetry 99:133-6. 2002..Fragment size-distributions of DNA double strand breaks (DSBs) induced in primary human fibroblasts by 240 kVp X rays and 238Pu alpha particles (110 keV.micron-1) were resolved using pulsed-field gel electrophoresis (PFGE)...
- Enhanced induction of apoptosis by combined treatment of human carcinoma cells with X rays and death receptor agonistsTaku Hamasu
Laboratory of Radiation Biology, Department of Environmental Veterinary Sciences, Graduate School of Veterinary Medicine, Hokkaido University, Sapporo, Japan
J Radiat Res 46:103-10. 2005....
- Measurement of the initial levels of DNA damage in human lymphocytes induced by 29 kV X rays (mammography X rays) relative to 220 kV X rays and gamma raysM Gomolka
Federal Office for Radiation Protection, Department of Radiation Protection and Health SG1 1, 85764 Oberschleissheim, Germany
Radiat Res 163:510-9. 2005..to measure human lymphocytes directly for DNA damage and subsequent repair kinetics induced by mammography 29 kV X rays relative to 220 kV X rays, 137Cs gamma rays and 60Co gamma rays...
- Isolation of planarian X-ray-sensitive stem cells by fluorescence-activated cell sortingTetsutaro Hayashi
RIKEN Center for Developmental Biology, Minatojima Minamimachi, Chuo Ku, Kobe, Japan
Dev Growth Differ 48:371-80. 2006..This method of isolating X-ray-sensitive cells using FACS may provide a key tool for advancing our understanding of the stem cell system in planarians...
- Determination of domain structure of proteins from X-ray solution scatteringD I Svergun
European Molecular Biology Laboratory, Hamburg Outstation, D 22603 Hamburg, Germany
Biophys J 80:2946-53. 2001..The new method substantially improves the resolution and reliability of models derived from scattering data and makes solution scattering a useful technique in large-scale structural characterization of proteins...
- Radiation leukemogenesis in mice: loss of PU.1 on chromosome 2 in CBA and C57BL/6 mice after irradiation with 1 GeV/nucleon 56Fe ions, X rays or gamma rays. Part I. Experimental observationsYuanlin Peng
Department of Environmental and Radiological Health Sciences, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, Colorado 80523, USA
Radiat Res 171:474-83. 2009..If so, PU.1 loss could be used to systematically assess the potential leukemogenic effects of other ions and energies in the space radiation environment...
- Analysis of radiation-induced chromosomal aberrations using telomeric and centromeric PNA probesJ J Boei
MGC, Department of Radiation Genetics and Chemical Mutagenesis, Leiden University Medical Center, The Netherlands
Int J Radiat Biol 76:163-7. 2000..To generate dose-response curves for X-ray-induced chromosomal aberrations analysed in human blood lymphocytes using telomeric and centromeric peptide nucleic acid (PNA) probes...
- Increases in oxidative stress in the progeny of X-irradiated cellsRebecca E Rugo
Department of Cancer Cell Biology, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Radiat Res 162:416-25. 2004....
- Low-dose binary behavior of bystander cell killing after microbeam irradiation of a single cell with focused c(k) x raysGiuseppe Schettino
Gray Cancer Institute, Mount Vernon Hospital, Northwood, Middlesex, United Kingdom
Radiat Res 163:332-6. 2005..was assessed after the irradiation of a single cell within a population with a submicrometer-size beam of carbon K X rays (278 eV). Above 0...
- Structural characterization of flexible proteins using small-angle X-ray scatteringPau Bernado
European Molecular Biology Laboratory, Hamburg Outstation, 22603 Hamburg, Germany
J Am Chem Soc 129:5656-64. 2007..In the latter case, EOM is able to distinguish between rigid and flexible proteins and to directly assess the interdomain contacts...
- Early increase in osteoclast number in mice after whole-body irradiation with 2 Gy X raysJeffrey S Willey
Department of Bioengineering, Clemson University, Clemson, South Carolina, USA
Radiat Res 170:388-92. 2008..In this study, we exposed mice to a whole-body dose of 2 Gy of X rays to quantify the early effects of radiation on osteoclasts and bone structural properties...
- Resveratrol and X rays affect gap junction intercellular communications in human glioblastoma cellsStefano Leone
Dipartimento di Biologia, Universita Roma Tre, Rome, Italy
Mol Carcinog 47:587-98. 2008..multiparameter assay to quantify the presence of GJs in U87 glioma cells treated with resveratrol and/or X rays. We report that resveratrol induces a delay in cell cycle progression and both alone and in combination with X ..
- Studies on crossover-specific mutants and the distribution of crossing over in Drosophila femalesR Bhagat
Waksman Institute and Department of Genetics, Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, Piscataway, NJ 08854, USA
Cytogenet Genome Res 107:160-71. 2004..This may be the activation of a regulatory system that ensures at least one crossover per chromosome, and which compensates for an absence of crossovers by attempting to generate them at random locations...
- Deficient DNA repair capacity, a predisposing factor in breast cancerR Parshad
Department of Pathology, Howard University College of Medicine, Washington, DC 20059, USA
Br J Cancer 74:1-5. 1996..Deficient DNA repair appears to be a predisposing factor in familial breast cancer and in some sporadic breast cancers...
- Replication-dependent and -independent responses of RAD18 to DNA damage in human cellsSatoshi Nakajima
Department of Molecular Genetics, Institute of Development, Aging and Cancer, Tohoku University, Sendai 980 8575, Japan
J Biol Chem 281:34687-95. 2006..These data indicate that RAD18 responds to DNA damage in two distinct ways, one replication-dependent and one replication-independent, involving the SAP and zinc finger motifs, respectively...
- Induction of delayed mutations and chromosomal instability in fibroblasts after UVA-, UVB-, and X-radiationJostein Dahle
Department of Biophysics, The Norwegian Radium Hospital, Montebello, 0310 Oslo, Norway
Cancer Res 63:1464-9. 2003..Thus, the mechanism of UVA-induced chromosomal instability is apparently different from that of UVB and X-radiation...
- Caffeine sensitizes nondividing human fibroblasts to x rays by inducing a high frequency of misrepairTetsuya Kawata
Department of Radiology, Graduate School of Medicine, Chiba, Japan
Radiat Res 164:509-13. 2005..Since most DNA repair in nongrowing G0 cells is believed to result from nonhomologous end joining (NHEJ), caffeine may influence the fidelity of the NHEJ pathway in irradiated G0 cells...
- Could X-ray microbeams inhibit angioplasty-induced restenosis in the rat carotid artery?F A Dilmanian
Medical Department, Brookhaven National Laboratory, Upton, NY 11973, USA
Cardiovasc Radiat Med 4:139-45. 2003Parallel, thin (<100 microm) planes of synchrotron-generated X rays, have been shown to spare normal tissues and preferentially damage tumors in animal models...
- Control of the internal structure of MLO-based isasomes by the addition of diglycerol monooleate and soybean phosphatidylcholineAnan Yaghmur
Institute of Chemistry, University of Graz, A 8010 Graz, Austria, and Nestle Research Center, Lausanne, Switzerland
Langmuir 22:9919-27. 2006....
- Optimization of x-ray imaging geometry (with specific application to flat-panel cone-beam computed tomography)J H Siewerdsen
Department of Radiation Oncology, William Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak, Michigan 48073, USA
Med Phys 27:1903-14. 2000..g., chest radiography, fluoroscopy, and mammography) is possible. The degree to which increased exposure can be used to compensate for x-ray scatter degradation is quantified...
- Structures of the cuprous-thiolate clusters of the Mac1 and Ace1 transcriptional activatorsKenneth R Brown
University of Utah Health Sciences Center, 50 N Medical Drive, 4C312, Salt Lake City, Utah 84132, USA
Biochemistry 41:6469-76. 2002....
- Interlaced x-ray microplanar beams: a radiosurgery approach with clinical potentialF Avraham Dilmanian
Medical Department, National Synchrotron Light Source, Brookhaven National Laboratory, Upton, NY 11973, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:9709-14. 2006..These findings strongly suggest potential application of interlaced microbeams to treat tumors or to ablate nontumorous abnormalities with minimal damage to surrounding normal tissue...
- The sensitivity of the alkaline comet assay in detecting DNA lesions induced by X rays, gamma rays and alpha particlesU Rössler
Federal Office for Radiation Protection, Department Radiation Protection and Health, Ingolstadter Landstrasse 1, 85764 Oberschleissheim, Germany
Radiat Prot Dosimetry 122:154-9. 2006..not the different cellular energy deposition patterns of photon radiation with different energies (29 kV, 220 kV X rays; Co-60, Cs-137-gamma-rays) and alpha-radiation from an Am-241 source differ in DNA damage induction capacity in ..
- The maximum low-dose RBE of 17.4 and 40 keV monochromatic X rays for the induction of dicentric chromosomes in human peripheral lymphocytesE Schmid
Institute of Radiobiology, GSF National Research Center for Environment and Health, 85764 Neuherberg, Germany
Radiat Res 160:499-504. 2003Schmid et al. recently reported on the maximum low-dose RBE for mammography X rays (29 kV) for the induction of dicentrics in human lymphocytes...
- Effects of beer administration in mice on acute toxicities induced by X rays and carbon ionsManami Monobe
Graduate School of Science and Technology, Chiba University, 1 33, Yayoi cho, Inage Ku, Chiba 263 8522, Japan
J Radiat Res 44:75-80. 2003..Radioprotection by beer administration is not solely due to OH radical-scavenging action by the ethanol contained in beer...
- Tissue-sparing effect of x-ray microplanar beams particularly in the CNS: is a bystander effect involved?F Avraham Dilmanian
Medical Department, Brookhaven National Laboratory, Upton, NY 11973 5000, USA
Exp Hematol 35:69-77. 2007..The repairs apparently involve the microvasculature and the glial system. We evaluate a hypothesis on the involvement of bystander effects in these repairs...
- Enhanced neoplastic transformation by mammography X rays relative to 200 kVp X rays: indication for a strong dependence on photon energy of the RBE(M) for various end pointsD Frankenberg
Department for Clinical Radiobiology and Clinical Radiation Physics, University of Gottingen, von Siebold Strasse 3, D 37075 Gottingen, Germany
Radiat Res 157:99-105. 2002..have biological efficiencies equal to those of other low-LET radiations up to 10 keV/microm, including mammography X rays. Microdosimetric and radiobiological data contradict this assumption...
- Single low doses of X rays inhibit the development of experimental tumor metastases and trigger the activities of NK cells in miceAneta Cheda
Department of Radiobiology and Radiation Protection, Military Institute of Hygiene and Epidemiology, 01 163 Warsaw, Poland
Radiat Res 161:335-40. 2004..In the present study, BALB/c mice were irradiated with single doses of 0.1 or 0.2 Gy X rays and injected intravenously 2 h later with syngeneic L1 sarcoma cells...
- Effects of iron ions, protons and X rays on human lens cell differentiationP Y Chang
Life Sciences Division, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, Berkeley, California, USA
Radiat Res 164:531-9. 2005..human lens epithelial cells exposed to high-energy accelerated iron-ion beams as well as to protons and X rays. In this paper, we present results on the effects of radiation on gene families that include or are related to DNA ..
- DNA double-strand break misrejoining after exposure of primary human fibroblasts to CK characteristic X rays, 29 kVp X rays and 60Co gamma raysMartin Kühne
Fachrichtung Biophysik, Universitat des Saarlandes, D 66421 Homburg Saar, Germany
Radiat Res 164:669-76. 2005..2 and 4.4 Gy for CK characteristic X rays, 4 and 8 Gy for 29 kVp X rays, and 5, 10 and 20 Gy for 60Co gamma rays...
- Cytogenetic monitoring of hospital workers occupationally exposed to ionizing radiation using the micronucleus centromere assayH Thierens
Department of Biomedical Physics and Radiation Protection, University of Ghent, Proeftuinstraat 86, Ghent, Belgium
Mutagenesis 15:245-9. 2000..The results obtained indicate that in contrast to the predominantly clastogenic action of acute exposure to ionizing radiation, the aneugenic properties of radiation may be important after long-term chronic low dose exposure...
- Long-term effects of irradiation before adulthood on reproductive function in the male rhesus monkeyDirk G de Rooij
Department of Cell Biology, Medical School, Utrecht University, 3584 CX Utrecht, The Netherlands
Biol Reprod 66:486-94. 2002..The latter two phenomena may have further consequences at still longer intervals after irradiation...
- Purvalanol A enhances cell killing by inhibiting up-regulation of CDC2 kinase activity in tumor cells irradiated with high doses of X raysDaisuke Iizuka
Laboratory of Radiation Biology, Graduate School of Veterinary Medicine, Hokkaido University, Sapporo, 060 0818, Japan
Radiat Res 167:563-71. 2007..MKN45 cells exposed to 20 Gy of X rays increased the CDC2 kinase activity and the expression of regulatory proteins (phospho-CDC2 and cyclin B1) of the ..
- Roles of the major, small, acid-soluble spore proteins and spore-specific and universal DNA repair mechanisms in resistance of Bacillus subtilis spores to ionizing radiation from X rays and high-energy charged-particle bombardmentRalf Moeller
German Aerospace Center, Institute of Aerospace Medicine, Radiation Biology Division, Department of Photo and Exobiology, Cologne, Germany
J Bacteriol 190:1134-40. 2008..SASP) in Bacillus subtilis spore resistance to accelerated heavy ions (high-energy charged [HZE] particles) and X rays has been studied...
- A double-strand break repair defect in ATM-deficient cells contributes to radiosensitivityMartin Kühne
Fachrichtung Biophysik, Universitat des Saarlandes, Homburg Saar, Germany
Cancer Res 64:500-8. 2004..These data argue that the DSB repair defect underlies a significant component of the radiosensitivity of AT cells...
- Diagnostic X-rays and ultrasound exposure and risk of childhood acute lymphoblastic leukemia by immunophenotypeXiao Ou Shu
University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 11:177-85. 2002....
- Histone H2AX phosphorylation in normal human cells irradiated with focused ultrasoft X rays: evidence for chromatin movement during repairNobuyuki Hamada
Cell and Molecular Radiation Biology Group, Gray Cancer Institute, PO Box 100, Mount Vernon Hospital, Northwood, Middlesex, HA6 2JR, United Kingdom
Radiat Res 166:31-8. 2006..49 keV characteristic aluminum K-shell (AlK) X rays on H2AX phosphorylation in normal human cells...
- beta1-integrin-mediated signaling essentially contributes to cell survival after radiation-induced genotoxic injuryN Cordes
OncoRay Radiation Research in Oncology, Medical Faculty Carl Gustav Carus, Technical University Dresden, Fetscherstrasse, Dresden, Germany
Oncogene 25:1378-90. 2006..Elucidation of the molecular circuitry of prosurvival beta1-integrin-mediated signaling in tumor cells may promote the development of innovative molecular-targeted therapeutic antitumor strategies...
- Low-dose studies of bystander cell killing with targeted soft X raysG Schettino
Gray Cancer Institute, PO Box 100, Mount Vernon Hospital, Northwood, Middlesex, HA6 2JR, United Kingdom
Radiat Res 160:505-11. 2003..Characteristic CK X rays are generated by a focused beam of 10 keV electrons striking a graphite target. Circular diffraction gratings (i.e...
- Effects of characteristic x rays on the noise power spectra and detective quantum efficiency of photoconductive x-ray detectorsW Zhao
Department of Radiology, State University of New York at Stony Brook, 11794 8460, USA
Med Phys 28:2039-49. 2001..The calculated NPS were compared to previously published measurements of PbI2 detectors...
- Radiation leukemogenesis in mice: loss of PU.1 on chromosome 2 in CBA and C57BL/6 mice after irradiation with 1 GeV/nucleon 56Fe ions, X rays or gamma Rays. Part II. Theoretical considerations based on microdosimetry and the initial induction of chromosomYuanlin Peng
Department of Environmental and Radiological Health Sciences, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, Colorado 80523, USA
Radiat Res 171:484-93. 2009..1 deletions, an independent prediction of PU.1 loss agreed well with measurements described in the accompanying paper...
- X-ray fluorescence microscopy reveals large-scale relocalization and extracellular translocation of cellular copper during angiogenesisLydia Finney
Biosciences Division, Argonne National Laboratory, 9700 South Cass Avenue, Argonne, IL 60439, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:2247-52. 2007..This use of XFM for the study of a dynamic developmental process not only sheds light on the copper requirement for endothelial tube formation but highlights the value of synchrotron-based facilities in biological research...
- Radiation cataracts: mechanisms involved in their long delayed occurrence but then rapid progressionNorman Wolf
Department of Pathology, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195 7475, USA
Mol Vis 14:274-85. 2008....
- p53 checkpoint-defective cells are sensitive to X rays, but not hypoxiaN C Denko
Department of Radiation Oncology, Stanford University School of Medicine, California 94305 5468, USA
Exp Cell Res 258:82-91. 2000..Thus, the mechanism responsible for the differential response to either hypoxia or X rays presumably lies in the control of cell-cycle progression in response to stress and its dependence on p21...
- On the chemical yield of base lesions, strand breaks, and clustered damage generated in plasmid DNA by the direct effect of X raysShubhadeep Purkayastha
Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics, University of Rochester, Rochester, NY 14642, USA
Radiat Res 168:357-66. 2007..5 +/- 0.5 nmol/J for fully hydrated pUC18, comparable to the yield of 4.1 +/- 0.9 nmol/J for DSBs derived from opposed damages in which at least one of the sites is a damaged base...
- DjPiwi-1, a member of the PAZ-Piwi gene family, defines a subpopulation of planarian stem cellsLeonardo Rossi
Dipartimento di Morfologia Umana e Biologia Applicata, Universita di Pisa, Pisa, Italy
Dev Genes Evol 216:335-46. 2006..Taken together, these findings suggest the presence of different neoblast subpopulations in planarians...
- Enhanced genomic instability and defective postreplication repair in RAD18 knockout mouse embryonic stem cellsSatoshi Tateishi
Institute of Molecular Embryology and Genetics, Kumamoto University, Kumamoto 862 0976, USA
Mol Cell Biol 23:474-81. 2003..These results indicate that dysfunction of Rad18 greatly increases both the frequency of homologous as well as illegitimate recombination, and that RAD18 contributes to maintenance of genomic stability through postreplication repair...
- Chromosomal radiosensitivity in breast cancer patients with a known or putative genetic predispositionA Baeyens
Department of Anatomy, University of Gent, L Pasteurlaan 2, B 9000 Gent, Belgium
Br J Cancer 87:1379-85. 2002..Out of the different subgroups considered, the group of the young breast cancer patients without family history showed the highest percentage of radiosensitive cases in the G2 (50%) as well as in the micronucleus assay (75-78%)...
- Chromosome aberrations and cell inactivation induced in mammalian cells by ultrasoft X-rays: correlation with the core ionizations in DNAF N Gobert
Groupe de Physique des Solides, Université Paris 6 et Paris 7, T23, 2 place Jussieu, F 75 251 Paris Cedcx 05, France
Int J Radiat Biol 80:135-45. 2004..To study the frequency of chromosome aberrations induced by soft X-rays. To see if the core ionization of DNA atoms is involved in this end-point as much as it appears to be in cell killing...
- Mammalian cell killing by ultrasoft X rays and high-energy radiation: an extension of the MK modelRoland B Hawkins
Department of Radiation Oncology, Ochsner Medical Institutions, New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
Radiat Res 166:431-42. 2006..the microdosimetric-kinetic (MK) model is presented that applies to irradiation of mammalian cells with ultrasoft X rays as well as high-energy radiations of variable linear energy transfer (LET)...
- Single- and double-strand breaks in solid pBR322 DNA induced by ultrasoft X-rays at photon energies of 388, 435 and 573 eVA Yokoya
Department of Synchrotron Radiation Research, Japan Atomic Energy Research Institute, Hyogo
J Radiat Res 40:145-58. 1999....
- Use of micro-XANES to speciate chromium in airborne fine particles in the Sacramento ValleyMichelle L Werner
Department of Land, Air, and Water Resources, One Shields Avenue, University of California, Davis, California 95616, USA
Environ Sci Technol 41:4919-24. 2007..This work demonstrates that micro-XANES can be used as a minimally invasive analytical tool to investigate the composition of ambient PM...
- Non-invasive evaluation of hair interior morphology by X-ray microscopeBeom Joon Kim
Department of Dermatology, Seoul National University College of Medicine, Chongro Gu, Korea
J Dermatol 33:759-64. 2006..Hopefully, forthcoming technology will solve these problems in the near future...
- Dependence of the yield of DNA double-strand breaks in Chinese hamster V79-4 cells on the photon energy of ultrasoft X raysC M de Lara
MRC Radiation and Genome Stability Unit, Harwell, Didcot, Oxfordshire, OX11 0RD, United Kingdom
Radiat Res 155:440-8. 2001..28 keV), aluminum K-shell (AlK) (1.49 keV), and titanium K-shell (TiK) (4.55 keV) ultrasoft X rays under aerobic and anaerobic conditions...
- Dosimetric characteristics of a low-kV intra-operative x-ray source: implications for use in a clinical trial for treatment of low-risk breast cancerM A Ebert
Department of Radiation Oncology, Newcastle Mater Hospital, New South Wales, Australia
Med Phys 30:2424-31. 2003..Dose-volume changes with size of the treatment area (defined by the size of the resection volume) are examined indicating large variations in dose-volume characteristics across the range of possible "target" volumes...
- Induction and repair of DNA strand breaks in bovine lens epithelial cells after high LET irradiationC Baumstark-Khan
Institute of Aerospace Medicine, German Aerospace Center, Koln, Germany
Adv Space Res 31:1583-91. 2003..These LET-dependencies are consistent with the current mechanistic model for radiation induced cataractogenesis which postulates that genomic damage to the surviving fraction of epithelial cells is responsible for lens opacification...
- Microbeam developments and applications: a low linear energy transfer perspectiveMarianne Sowa Resat
Chemistry and Physics of Complex Systems, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, MS K8 88, 3335 Q Ave, Richland, WA 99352, USA
Cancer Metastasis Rev 23:323-31. 2004....
- Enhancement of cell death by TNF alpha-related apoptosis-inducing ligand (TRAIL) in human lung carcinoma A549 cells exposed to x rays under hypoxiaMomoko Takahashi
Laboratory of Radiation Biology, Department of Environmental Veterinary Sciences, Graduate School of Veterinary Medicine, Hokkaido University, Sapporo, Japan
J Radiat Res 48:461-8. 2007..the caspase-dependent and chymotrypsin-like-protease-dependent apoptotic cell death in A549 cells exposed to X rays. Furthermore, it was shown that treatment with TRAIL enhanced apoptotic cell death and loss of clonogenic ability ..
- Millisecond radiolytic modification of peptides by synchrotron X-rays identified by mass spectrometryS D Maleknia
Albert Einstein Center for Synchrotron BioSciences, Department of Physiology and Biophysics, Albert Einstein College of Medicine of Yeshiva University, Bronx, New York 10461, USA
Anal Chem 71:3965-73. 1999..Phenylalanine and tyrosine residues were modified predominantly by hydroxyl radicals, and the source of modification of proline was exclusively through molecular oxygen...
- MOSFET dosimetry with high spatial resolution in intense synchrotron-generated x-ray microbeamsE A Siegbahn
European Synchrotron Radiation Facility ESRF, 6 rue Jules Horowitz, 38043 Grenoble, France
Med Phys 36:1128-37. 2009..Sources of discrepancies between measured and simulated doses are discussed, of which the energy dependent response of the MOSFET was shown to be among the most important...
- UV but not X rays stimulate homologous recombination between sister chromatids and homologs in a Saccharomyces cerevisiae mec1 (ATR) hypomorphic mutantMichael Fasullo
Ordway Research Institute, Albany, NY 12208, USA
Mutat Res 648:73-81. 2008..We suggest that although recombinational repair of double-stand breaks is less efficient in mec1 mutants, recombinants may be generated by other mechanisms, such as break-induced replication...
- Observations of a human hair shaft with an x-ray microscopeHwa Shik Youn
Pohang Accelerator Laboratory, Pohang University of Science and Technology, 31 San, Hyoja Dong, Pohang, Kyungbuk, 790 784, Korea
Phys Med Biol 50:5417-20. 2005..All these internal features and more can easily be observed with no sample preparation including staining...
- Saccharomyces cerevisiae RAD53 (CHK2) but not CHK1 is required for double-strand break-initiated SCE and DNA damage-associated SCE after exposure to X rays and chemical agentsMichael Fasullo
Ordway Research Institute, 150 New Scotland Avenue, Albany, New York 12208, USA
DNA Repair (Amst) 4:1240-51. 2005..after log phase cells were exposed to methyl methanesulfonate (MMS), 4-nitroquinoline 1-oxide (4-NQO), UV, X rays and HO-induced DSBs...
- An experimental and computational investigation of the standard temperature-pressure correction factor for ion chambers in kilovoltage x raysDaniel J La Russa
Carleton Laboratory for Radiotherapy Physics, Ottawa Carleton Institute of Physics, Carleton University, Ottawa, ON K1S 5B6, Canada
Med Phys 34:4690-9. 2007..Calculated values of N(K) normalized to the value measured for a 250 kV beam were obtained for three chambers and were within 1% of experiment with one exception, the Exradin A12 in a 50 kV beam...
- Comparison of unmonochromatized synchrotron radiation and conventional X-rays in the imaging of mammographic phantom and human breast specimens: a preliminary resultHaijo Jung
Department of Diagnostic Radiology, Yonsei University College of Medicine, 134 Shinchon dong, Seodaemoon Gu, Seoul 120 752, Korea
Yonsei Med J 46:95-103. 2005....
- X-ray absorption edge spectroscopy and computational studies on LCuO2 species: Superoxide-Cu(II) versus peroxide-Cu(III) bondingRitimukta Sarangi
Department of Chemistry, Stanford University, Stanford, California 94305, USA
J Am Chem Soc 128:8286-96. 2006..The charge on the Cu in the Cu(III) complex is found to be similar to that in Cu(II) complexes, which indicates a much stronger interaction with the ligand, leading to extensive charge transfer...
- Development, beam characterization and chromosomal effectiveness of X-rays of RBC characteristic X-ray generatorSatoru Endo
Research Institute for Radiation Biology and Medicine, Hiroshima University, Japan
J Radiat Res 47:103-12. 2006..The reversion of energy-RBE relation at a moderate dose may shed light on the controversy on energy dependency of RBE of ultrasoft X-rays in cell survival experiments...
- Evaluation of tris-acryl gelatin microsphere embolization with monochromatic X Rays: comparison with polyvinyl alcohol particlesAkira Yamamoto
Department of Radiology, Kawasaki Medical School, 577 Matsushima, Kurashiki, Okayama 701 0192, Japan, and JASRI, SPring 8, Japan
J Vasc Interv Radiol 17:1797-802. 2006Imaging of blood vessels 30 mum or smaller can be achieved with use of monochromatic x rays. The purpose of the present investigation was to use this method to evaluate the in vivo primary embolic effect of tris-acryl gelatin microspheres ..
- CsoR is a novel Mycobacterium tuberculosis copper-sensing transcriptional regulatorTong Liu
Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics, Texas A and M University, College Station, Texas 77843 2128, USA
Nat Chem Biol 3:60-8. 2007..Substitution of Cys36 or His61 with alanine abolishes Cu(I)- and CsoR-dependent regulation in vivo and in vitro. Potential roles of CsoR in Mtb pathogenesis are discussed...
- Involvement of LEU13 in interferon-induced refractoriness of human RSa cells to cell killing by X raysK Kita
Department of Environmental Biochemistry, Graduate School of Medicine, Chiba University, Inohana 1 8 1, Chuo Ku, Chiba City, Chiba 260, Japan
Radiat Res 160:302-8. 2003..human interferon alpha and beta (IFNA and IFNB) results in increased resistance of the cells to cell killing by X rays. To identify candidate genes responsible for the IFN-induced X-ray resistance, we searched for genes whose ..
- Upgrading of the Gray Laboratory soft X ray microprobe and V79 survival measurements following irradiation of one or all cells with a CK X ray beam of different sizeG Schettino
Gray Laboratory C R T, Mount Vernon Hospital, Northwood, Middlesex, HA5 2JR, UK
Radiat Prot Dosimetry 99:287-8. 2002The X ray microprobe developed at the Gray Laboratory was originally designed to produce carbon K X rays (278 eV) by electron bombardment and focus them to a few hundred nanometers spot by using a circular diffraction grating with ..
- Intrauterine exposure to diagnostic X rays and risk of childhood leukemia subtypesE Naumburg
Department of Women s and Children s Health, Section for Pediatrics, Uppsala University, SE 751 85 Uppsala, Sweden
Radiat Res 156:718-23. 2001..Thus X-ray examinations performed during pregnancy in the 1970s and 1980s in Sweden did not affect the risk of childhood leukemia discernibly...
- Relative biological effectiveness enhancement of a 125I brachytherapy seed with characteristic x rays from its constitutive materialsRichard Taschereau
Centre Hospitalier Universitaire de Quebec, Département de Radio Oncologie, Canada
Med Phys 29:1397-402. 2002..The purpose of this study is to investigate how characteristic x rays may be used to raise the relative biological effectiveness (RBE) of an iodine seed at short distances to increase ..
- Characteristics of kilovoltage x-ray beams used for cone-beam computed tomography in radiation therapyGeorge X Ding
Department of Radiation Oncology, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Nashville, TN 37232 5671, USA
Phys Med Biol 52:1595-615. 2007..This study shows both the magnitude and the characteristics of scattered x-rays. The knowledge obtained from this investigation may be useful in the future design of the image detector to improve the image quality...
- Suppression of a DNA double-strand break repair gene, Ku70, increases radio- and chemosensitivity in a human lung carcinoma cell lineShigenari Omori
Department of Respirology B2, Graduate School of Medicine, Chiba University, 1 8 1 Inohana Chuo ku, 260 8670, Chiba, Japan
DNA Repair (Amst) 1:299-310. 2002..This system provides us with partial suppression of Ku70, and will be a useful experimental model for investigating the physiological roles of the DNA DSB repair gene...
- Sulfur K-edge X-ray absorption spectroscopy as a probe of ligand-metal bond covalency: metal vs ligand oxidation in copper and nickel dithiolene complexesRitimukta Sarangi
Department of Chemistry, Stanford Synchrotron Radiation Laboratory, Stanford Linear Accelerator Center, Stanford University, Stanford, California 94309, USA
J Am Chem Soc 129:2316-26. 2007....
- Contrast enhancement in dense breast images using the modulation transfer functionFátima L S Nunes
Faculdade de Informática de Marília, Fundação de Ensino Eurípides Soares da Rocha, Av Hygino Muzzi Filho, 529, 17525 901, Marília SP, Brasil
Med Phys 29:2925-36. 2002..Since the MTF method is a well-recognized tool in the evaluation of radiographic systems, this new technique could be used to associate quality assurance procedures with the processing schemes employed in CAD for mammography...
- Electron spectra and the RBE of X raysAlbrecht M Kellerer
Radiobiological Institute, University of Munich and Institute for Radiation Biology, GSF National Research Center for Environment and Health, Munich, Germany
Radiat Res 158:13-22. 2002For an assessment of the possible difference in effectiveness between mammography X rays and conventional X rays, the energy and LET spectra of the released electrons are examined...
- In vitro response of human dermal fibroblasts to X-irradiation: relationship between radiation-induced clonogenic cell death, chromosome aberrations and markers of proliferative senescence or differentiationM Rave-Frank
Klinik fur Strahlentherapie und Radioonkologie, Universitat Gottingen, D 37075, Gottingen, Germany
Int J Radiat Biol 77:1163-74. 2001..To analyse the relationship between radiation-induced clonogenic cell death, chromosome aberrations and markers of proliferative senescence or differentiation...
- Clustered DNA damages induced by x rays in human cellsBetsy M Sutherland
Biology Department, Brookhaven National Laboratory, Upton, New York 11973 5000, USA
Radiat Res 157:611-6. 2002..We show here that X rays induce abasic clusters, oxidized pyrimidine clusters, and oxidized purine clusters in DNA in human cells...
- Mitotic arrest caused by an X-ray microbeam in a single cell expressing EGFP-aurora kinase BY Tanno
Department of Physics, Graduate School of Natural Sciences, International Christian University, Mitaka, Tokyo 181 8585, Japan
Radiat Prot Dosimetry 122:301-6. 2006..The dose dependence of the elongation of the M phase was also examined. An irregular distribution of DNA in anaphase cells was observed after irradiation...
- Chromosome nondisjunction and loss induced by protons and X rays in primary human fibroblasts: role of centromeres in aneuploidyA Sgura
Department of Biology, University of Rome Roma Tre, Rome, Italy
Radiat Res 156:225-31. 2001..7 and 28.5 keV/microm) and X rays, we have developed a combined antikinetochore-antibody (CREST) and FISH staining with pancentromeric probes...
- Detection of oxidative clustered DNA lesions in X-irradiated mouse skin tissues and human MCF-7 breast cancer cellsEsha Gollapalle
Biology Department, East Carolina University, Greenville, North Carolina 27858, USA
Radiat Res 167:207-16. 2007..This may underscore the biological significance of clustered DNA lesions...
- Effects of lipid confinement on insulin stability and amyloid formationJulia Kraineva
Department of Chemistry, Physical Chemistry I Biophysical Chemistry, University of Dortmund, Otto Hahn Strasse 6, D 44227 Dortmund, Germany
Langmuir 23:7118-26. 2007..Furthermore, the results provide new insights into the effects of soft-matter confinement on protein aggregation and fibrillation, a situation usually met in natural cell environments...
- Dose and dose-rate effects of X rays and fission neutrons on lymphocyte apoptosis in p53(+/+) and p53(-/-) miceK Fujikawa
Atomic Energy Research Institute, Kinki University, Higashiosaka, Japan
J Radiat Res 41:113-27. 2000Following the exposure of mice to X rays or fission neutrons, the frequency (F) of apoptosis was measured after 4 h, and the weight loss or lymphocyte content loss in the thymus and spleen was measured after 24 h...
- Radiation-induced kidney injury: a role for chronic oxidative stress?Mike E Robbins
Free Radical and Radiation Biology Program, Department of Radiology, The University of Iowa, B 180 ML, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
Micron 33:133-41. 2002..These data support the hypothesis that renal irradiation is associated with a chronic and persistent oxidative stress...
- Towards a proposition of a diagnostic (dose) reference level for mammographic acquisitions in breast screening measurements in BelgiumK Smans
UZ Leuven, Herestraat 49, 3000 Leuven, Belgium
Radiat Prot Dosimetry 117:321-6. 2005..For the centres that use other anode/filters, there is not enough scientific evidence that a single phantom measurement of a standard PMMA block is representative for the patient dose...
- Neutron production from a mobile linear accelerator operating in electron mode for intraoperative radiation therapyG Loi
Medical Physics Department, Azienda Ospedaliera, Maggiore della Carità, c so Mazzini 18, 28100 Novara, Italy
Phys Med Biol 51:695-702. 2006..Mobetron can be used at 12 MeV in an unshielded operating room for a weekly workload of up to 250 Gy if the bremsstrahlung x-rays are shielded to negligible levels...
- 1s2p resonant inelastic X-ray scattering of iron oxidesFrank M F de Groot
Department of Inorganic Chemistry and Catalysis, Debye Institute, Utrecht University, Sorbonnelaan 16, 3584 CA Utrecht, The Netherlands
J Phys Chem B 109:20751-62. 2005..Another major advantage is that 1s2p RIXS involves only hard X-rays, and experiments under essentially any condition and on any system are feasible...
- Do angles of obliquity apply to 30 degrees scattered radiation from megavoltage beams?Peter J Biggs
Department of Radiation Oncology, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Health Phys 95:425-32. 2008The angle of obliquity is used in radiation shielding calculations to account for the longer path length x rays will see when obliquely incident on the protective barrier...
- Multiple-scattering extended X-ray absorption fine structure analysis of nanostructured iron(III) oxide in the pore system of mesoporous carbon CMK-1Holger Huwe
Institute of Inorganic and Analytical Chemistry, Justus Liebig University Giessen, Heinrich Buff Ring 58, 35392, Giessen, Germany
Anal Bioanal Chem 384:817-26. 2006....
- Analysis of shielding materials in a Compton spectrometer applied to x-ray tube quality control using Monte Carlo simulationS Gallardo
Departamento de Ingeniería Química y Nuclear, Universidad Politecnica de Valencia, Apartado 22012, E 46071 Valencia, Spain
Radiat Prot Dosimetry 115:375-9. 2005..In this work, the model developed is applied to analyse the influence on measurements of shielding materials present in the spectrometer...
- Air kerma rate constants for gamma emitters used most often in practiceM M Ninkovic
Vinca Institute of Nuclear Sciences, P O Box 522, 11001 Belgrade, Serbia and Montenegro
Radiat Prot Dosimetry 115:247-50. 2005It is often required to estimate the dose rate at a distance from radionuclides that are sources of X rays and gamma rays...
- Final Aperture Superposition Technique applied to fast calculation of electron output factors and depth dose curvesB A Faddegon
Department of Radiation Oncology, UCSF, San Francisco, California 94143 1708, USA
Med Phys 32:3286-94. 2005..5% exceeded the statistical precision of the calculation by four standard deviations. This occurred at 18 MeV for the 2.5 x 2.5 cm2 field. The differences are due to the method used to account for the collimator effect...
- MCNP5 evaluation of dose dissipation in tissue-like media exposed to low-energy monoenergetic X-ray microbeamShaun D Clarke
School of Nuclear Engineering, Purdue University, 400 Central Drive, West Lafayette, IN 47907, USA
Radiat Environ Biophys 44:225-33. 2005..Three-dimensional dose profiles indicate the spatial dose dissipation. For example, a 10 keV X-ray microbeam dose scatters to a negligible level at 0.3 cm radially from the center while it reaches an axial depth of 2 cm...
- Rapid loss of structural motifs in the manganese complex of oxygenic photosynthesis by X-ray irradiation at 10-300 KMarkus Grabolle
Freie Universitat Berlin, FB Physik, Arnimallee 14, D 14195 Berlin, Germany
J Biol Chem 281:4580-8. 2006..It is proposed to employ controlled x-ray photoreduction in metalloprotein research for: (i) population of distinct reduced states, (ii) estimating the redox potential of buried metal centers, and (iii) research on protein dynamics...
- The x-ray time of flight method for investigation of ghosting in amorphous selenium-based flat panel medical x-ray imagersA W Rau
Department of Medical Biophysics, University of Toronto, 2075 Bayview Avenue, Toronto, Ontario, M4N 3M5, Canada
Med Phys 32:3160-77. 2005..Therefore, degradation of both hole and electron transport due to the recombination of mobile charge carriers with trapped carriers (of opposite polarity) were identified as the main cause of ghosting in this study...
- Optimization of photon beam flatness for radiation therapyJörgen Olofsson
Department of Radiation Sciences Radiation Physics, Umea University, SE 901 87 Umea, Sweden
Phys Med Biol 52:1735-46. 2007....
- Dose distribution of a 125 keV mean energy microplanar x-ray beam for basic studies on microbeam radiotherapyYumiko Ohno
National Institute of Radiological Sciences, 4 9 1 Anagawa, Inage, Chiba 263 8555, Japan
Med Phys 35:3252-8. 2008..This dose distribution was well reproduced by the Monte Carlo simulation code PHITS...
- Measurement of dose reductions for superficial x-rays backscattered from bone interfacesMartin J Butson
Department of Physics and Materials Science, City University of Hong Kong, Kowloon Tong, Hong Kong
Phys Med Biol 53:N329-36. 2008....
- Ultrashort laser pulse filamentation from spontaneous X-Wave formation in airDaniele Faccio
CNISM and Department of Physics and Mathematics, Universita dell Insubria, Via Valleggio 11, IT 22100 Como, Italy
Opt Express 16:1565-70. 2008..Within this framework, a simple explanation is brought for several features of the filament such as the subdiffractive propagation and the energy flux from the weakly localized tails of the X-waves to the intense core...
- STATISITICAL DESIGN, MONITORING &COORD. OF VISION CLINICAL TRIALS &EPIDEMIOLOGYKeri Hammel; Fiscal Year: 2013..Also, there will be a measurement of pressure in the eye and thickness of the cornea. To study patients'DNA, the researchers will obtain a bloo..
- STATISITICAL DESIGN, MONITORING &COORD. OF VISION CLINICAL TRIALS &EPIDEMIOLOGYKeri Hammel; Fiscal Year: 2012..Also, there will be a measurement of pressure in the eye and thickness of the cornea. To study patients'DNA, the researchers will obtain a bloo..
- Novel, Rapidly Translatable Technologies for Healing Long Bone Segmental DefectsChristopher H Evans; Fiscal Year: 2010..If this project is successful, it will prevent much human suffering, enable people to return to work more quickly, and save money. ..
- Humanized Transgenic Mice Reproduce the Disease Evolution in Severe RAGrete Sonderstrup; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Vitamin D and fibroblast growth factor 23 physiology in adolescent girlsDEBORAH MICHELLE MITCHELL; Fiscal Year: 2012..The research described in this proposal will help better define the function of FGF23 in healthy children to enhance our understanding of bone and mineral metabolism and bone mass accrual during childhood. ..
- Facilitating large scale biomass generation: acquisition of an automated 100 L feRoger D Kornberg; Fiscal Year: 2010..Growth of cell cultures on a large scale in the proposed system will permit the isolation of proteins involved in these fundamental processes. The isolated proteins will be subjected to biochemical and structural analyses. ..
- Phase-contrast enhanced X-ray imaging system for small joints of handThomas J Beck; Fiscal Year: 2010..The system should provide better identification of patients with RA and more sensitive monitoring of disease progression and the effects of treatment. ..
- Radiation and Oxidative Stress: Effects on NeurogenesisJohn R Fike; Fiscal Year: 2012..abstract_text> ..
- Oral Health in Breast Cancer Survivors on Aromatase InhibitorsLinda Susan Taichman; Fiscal Year: 2013..Ultimately, this information may improve the dental health professional's and the oncologist's ability to anticipate and mitigate oral toxicities from AI therapy. ..
- Risk of Leukemia after Protracted Exposures to Low Doses of Ionizing RadiationLYDIA BOGDANIVNA ZABLOTSKA; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Individual Predoctoral Dental Scientist FellowshipEjvis Lamani; Fiscal Year: 2011..Eventually the proposed studies will facilitate the development of novel diagnostic tools and therapeutic treatments for patients with various diseases or syndrome with altered root formation. ..
- Radiation and Genomic Instability in Finite Lifespan Human Mammary EpitheliumAmy Kronenberg; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Parental exposure to ionizing radiation and birth defectsDOROTHY KIM WALLER; Fiscal Year: 2013..It will also determine whether women and men who are exposed to radiation in their workplace have an increased risk of having infants with 30 different categories of birth defects. ..
- Quick-Set Endodontic MaterialCAROLYN MARGARET PRIMUS; Fiscal Year: 2010..Such a new material would be a new combination of features and an advantage for dental care when treating infected teeth, especially to be confident that the material will set and remain in situ. ..
- Development of lisinopril for post-exposure mitigation of late effects from a radMEETHA M MEDHORA; Fiscal Year: 2013..We have organized an efficient as well as responsive research plan, team of experts and well trained personnel to meet our goals. ..
- Maintenance of Skeletal Integrity in Frail EldersSusan L Greenspan; Fiscal Year: 2013..Outcome measures will include bone density of the spine and hip, markers of bone turnover, vertebral x rays to assess for fractures and adverse events. Eleven nursing homes in the Pittsburgh area have agreed to participate...
- Intubation Mechanics of the Stable and Unstable Cervical SpineBRANDON GERAD SANTONI; Fiscal Year: 2013..The acquired information and new protocols developed in this study will help physicians to more safely accomplish intubation in patients with an unstable cervical spine. ..
- Innovative Biomarkers to Predict Radiation Lung InjuryMEETHA M MEDHORA; Fiscal Year: 2013..We have established models of radiation injury and a team which includes renowned experts to help us reach our goals. ..
- X-Ray Fluorescence Computer Tomography with Emission Tomography AperturesLING JIAN MENG; Fiscal Year: 2011..The techniques proposed here would provide calibration and subcellular localization information critical for the continued advancement of these technologies. ..
- SARRP 200 Small animal radiation research platformConstantinos Koumenis; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- High-Resolution MicroCT Scanner for Cardiopulmonary Imaging ApplicationsRahim R Rizi; Fiscal Year: 2010..Important clinical applications include diagnosis of tumors and other pathologies in various application areas including pulmonary, cardiac, biomechanics and cancer tumors. ..
- Vitamin K, Knee Osteoarthritis, and Physical Function in Older AdultsRichard F Loeser; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Sixth International Workshop on X-ray Damage to Biological Crystalline SamplesKeith O Hodgson; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Nanoprobe for High Resolution Hard X-ray Fluorescence MicroscopyGayle E Woloschak; Fiscal Year: 2010..This will be particularly important for observing subcellular structures and determining the elemental localization with respect to cell organelles. ..
- Rapid Diagnosis of Early TB in HIV+ PatientsSuman Laal; Fiscal Year: 2013..abstract_text> ..
- Membrane Protein Expression CenterRobert M Stroud; Fiscal Year: 2013..Functional assays will serve to assist in discovery of therapeutics and understanding function. ..
- Evaluation of Tritium: Relative Biological Effectiveness and Cancer MortalityDavid B Richardson; Fiscal Year: 2011..In addition, we will use Markov Chain Monte Carlo methods to combine current information on the RBE for tritium with our epidemiological data in order to estimate a (posterior) distribution of the RBE for tritium. ..
- Acoustically Active Catheter for Echocardiographic NavigationMarek Belohlavek; Fiscal Year: 2010..This grant application is designed to initially validate the feasibility, precision, and accuracy of the proposed ultrasound image-guided navigation system. ..
- Ultrasound Imaging of Breast by Use of a Hemispheric Array and Inverse ScatteringRobert C Waag; Fiscal Year: 2013..Success would ultimately change the way screening for breast cancer is performed and significantly improve detection, diagnosis, and monitoring for recurrence or response to treatment of breast cancer. ..
- Flat Panel X-ray Sources for Small Animal Cardiac CTMitali J More; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- RADIOGRAPHIC CONTRAST TO DIFFERENTIATE CAVITATED FROM NON-CAVITATED DENTAL CARIESDOUGLAS BENN; Fiscal Year: 2012....
- X-ray generator and associated optics for macromolecular crystallography at UCSDPartho Ghosh; Fiscal Year: 2012..This equipment will enable a large group of biomedical scientists at this campus to gain fundamental knowledge relevant to human diseases, and to apply this knowledge to therapeutics. ..
- Peripheral Blood Gene Expression for the Diagnosis of Indeterminate Lung NodulesAnil Vachani; Fiscal Year: 2012..If sufficiently sensitive and specific, it is possible that this test could be extended to screening of other high-risk populations (smokers with asbestos exposure, heavy smokers, etc). ..
- Portable 3D ultrasound for bone fracture diagnosis in emergency medicineFRANK WILLIAM MAULDIN; Fiscal Year: 2013..Additional applications for the product include rural healthcare, sports medicine, battlefield, and orthopedic, the latter of which has an estimated fully saturated US market of $209 M/yr. ..
- Tracking conformational states in enzyme catalysts using correlated X-ray scatterSebastian Doniach; Fiscal Year: 2013..CypA is the target of the widely used immunosuppressive cyclosporine. The HIV virus has been shown to use human cyclophilin during its final stages of viral replication. ..
- A Coaxial Plasma Accelerator for Proton RadiotherapyMARK CAPPELLI; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Morbidity and Mortality in Marysville, Ohio due to Exposure to Asbestos ContaminaJames Lockey; Fiscal Year: 2010..A health study of workers who processed Libby vermiculite at a Marysville, Ohio facility will determine the long term health consequences for the thousands of people with relatively low exposures. ..
- INCIDENCE, DETERMINANTS AND OUTCOMES OF LATENT AND ACTIVE TUBERCULOSIS AMONG HIVBETTY KINTU NSANGI; Fiscal Year: 2013..Treatment of children with latent TB and general treatment of HIV-infected children with isoniazid will also provide essential information as the country prepares to adopt the new WHO Isoniazid Preventive Therapy (IPT) guidelines. ..
- Implementation/Evaluation of TB, HIV, and Syphilis Screening in Ethiopian PrisonsWONDWOSSEN AMOGNE DEGU; Fiscal Year: 2013..abstract_text> ..
- Peptide-targeted alpha-particle emitting phage for ovarian cancer therapy.Thomas P Quinn; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- 12th International Congress of Radiation ResearchGeorge Iliakis; Fiscal Year: 2003..Special effort will be made to ensure good representation of women and minorities. ..
- A Large-area Pixel Array Detector System for Macromolecular CrystallographyWilliam I Weis; Fiscal Year: 2010..It will maintain international competitiveness for NIH funded researchers and will contribute to retaining staff and maintaining jobs. ..
- 11TH INTERNATIONAL CONGRESS OF RADIATION RESEARCHElizabeth Travis; Fiscal Year: 1999..Selection criteria are: Congress participation, publications in radiation research, age, professional standing, and attendance at previous Congresses (sample evaluation form included in Appendix). ..
- Relation of Alignment and Other Risk Factors to Knee OADAVID TOBIN FELSON; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Infrared &X-ray Nanogold Therapy of Head &Neck CancersJames F Hainfeld; Fiscal Year: 2012..It also may be used for sensitive early detection of tumors and enable image guided interventions. If successful, it could improve detection and treatment of head and neck tumors as well as other cancers. ..
- An Advanced Technology Flat-Panel Imager for FluoroscopyLarry E Antonuk; Fiscal Year: 2012..result in the creation of a technology that offers image quality limited only by the fundamental properties of X rays and x-ray converters, reduces artifacts and increases frame rates...
- Osteosarcoma in Dogs as a Model for the Development of Drugs to Treat Micro-metasGeorge J Brewer; Fiscal Year: 2013..Marked inhibition of micro-metastatic growth, shown so strongly by TM in mouse studies, has never been tested in either human or dog studies. ..
- The Structural Basis of Kidney Stone FragilityJames C Williams; Fiscal Year: 2011..We aim to study this possibility in detail, and provide a step-by- step guide to the use of CT for identifying which stone patients should be treated with shock wave lithotripsy. ..
- Clinical Centers for the Osteoarthritis Initiative[unreadable]Rhode IslandCharles B Eaton; Fiscal Year: 2010..Levels of knee pain and physical disability will be assessed at study start and at each of the follow-up visits by questionnaire and examination. ..
- Periarticular Bone Density as a Biomarker for Early Knee OATimothy E McAlindon; Fiscal Year: 2013..If we are able to show that tibial paBMD is a good biomarker for knee OA, this will take us an important step closer towards finding an effective disease-modifying treatment for knee OA. ..
- IN VIVO IMAGING OF SINGLE CIRCULATING CELLSLihong Wang; Fiscal Year: 2013..Aim 1. High-resolution label-free PAM for in vivo imaging of circulating single red blood and tumor cells. Aim 2. High-throughput label-free PAM for in vivo imaging of single circulating tumor cells (CTCs). ..
- DYNAMICS OF VOCAL TRACT SHAPINGShrikanth Narayanan; Fiscal Year: 2013..Specifically, we pursue robust and faster image segmentation and articulatory tracking, and methods for dynamical modeling using the derived time series constriction data. ..
- Black Silicon Photodiodes for Enhanced Digital Radiography DetectorsMARTIN U PRALLE; Fiscal Year: 2010..Improving the imaging performance can lead to reduced x-ray dose to the patient or improved the image fidelity and resolution at equal dose levels. ..
- OSTEOARTHRITIS & OSTEOPOROSIS IN ELDERLY WOMANMichael Nevitt; Fiscal Year: 1992..advantage of the "Study of Osteoporotic Fractures" (SOF), a cohort of 9712 women age 65 and over who already have X rays of the hip, hand, and spine, bone mass measurements of the radius, os calcis, femur, and lumbar spine, and ..
- OSTEOARTHRITIS INITIATIVE DATA COORDINATING CENTERSusan Rubin; Fiscal Year: 2012..Levels of knee pain and physical disability will be assessed at study start and at each of the follow-up visits by questionnaire and examination. ..
- Data Coordinating Center for the Osteoarthritis InitiativeMichael Nevitt; Fiscal Year: 2011..Levels of knee pain and physical disability will be assessed at study start and at each of the follow-up visits by questionnaire and examination. ..
- Clinical Centers for the Osteoarthritis InitiativeRebecca Jackson; Fiscal Year: 2009
- X-RAYS INDUCE EXOCYTOSIS OF ENDOTHELIAL P-SELECTINDennis Hallahan; Fiscal Year: 2002..We will study the roles of calcium and calmodulin in the activation of motor proteins that are required for microtubule- dependent translocation of WPB to the cell membrane. ..
- Raman spectroscopy probes for assisting stereotactic breast biopsy needle placemeStephen Fulghum; Fiscal Year: 2009..The result should be a reduction of both procedure time and patient distress. ..
- COMBINING K AND L XRF FOR IN VIVO LEAD IN BONE MEASUREROBIN GARDNER; Fiscal Year: 2002..There are presently two XRF methods; one (the K XRF) uses the lead K X rays excited by the radioisotope source 109Cd while the other (the L XRF) uses the lead L X rays excited by the ..
- HIGH PERFORMANCE NEUTRON DETECTOR FOR PROTEIN CRYSTALLOGRAPHYJAROSLAW GLODO; Fiscal Year: 2007..Advancements in neutron detector instrumentation will provide better capabilities define these structures and help to recognize the molecule's purpose. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Self-contained X-ray Blood IrradiatorBABU CHALAMALA; Fiscal Year: 2010..The FPXS based systems will provide compact, reliable and high throughput capabilities to blood transfusion facilities and enable them to meet the increasing demand for irradiated blood products. ..
- A Dual Energy X-Ray Detector for Digital MammographyTUMAY TUMER; Fiscal Year: 2005..We thus anticipate that it will reduce both false negative and false positive results in breast cancer screening and eventually lead to saving more lives and reducing unnecessary trauma to patients. ..
- Development of Novel Methods to Reduce Ghosting and Lag in a-Se X-ray DetectorsDENNY LEE; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- High resolution Mammography SensorMICHAEL SQUILLANTE; Fiscal Year: 2009..The proposed fabrication technique is both cost effective and readily scaleable, both helping to remove manufacturing barriers that can impede adoption of technology. ..
- New Design of a Photon Counting Detector for Breast CTVivek Nagarkar; Fiscal Year: 2009..Outside medical use, this detector will be extremely important for such applications as X-ray inspections at airports and borders. ..
- IN VIVO INDUCTION AND REPAIR OF GENOMIC INSTABILITYANTONE BROOKS; Fiscal Year: 2000....
- BREAST IMAGING USING PICOSECOND PULSES OF LIGHTJeremy Hebden; Fiscal Year: 1992..In addition, the same experimental arrangement will be used to explore methods of obtaining slice images through a breast using computed tomography...
- Acquition of a microdiffractometer for SER-CATJohn Rose; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- A 10-um resolution imager for soft X-ray emittersRoberto Accorsi; Fiscal Year: 2004..Performance will be first simulated with computer codes and then experimentally verified in the case of different test sources designed to simulate biologically relevant cases. ..
- SUB-MICRON X-RAY TOMOGRAPHY OF CALCIFIED TISSUEMichael Flynn; Fiscal Year: 1999..If successful, this method will permit investigations of 3-D bone structure at a resolution that has previously not been possible. ..
- IMAGING OF THREE-DIMENSIONAL DOSE DISTRIBUTIONS NMRRobert Schulz; Fiscal Year: 1990..In preliminary trials, gelatin prepared with Fricke dosimeter solution was irradiated by high-energy x rays. An image of the dose distribution results from the reduced T1's of protons in the vicinity of ferric ions which, ..
- PHYSICAL AND CHEMICAL PROPERTIES OF A WATER CALORIMETERRobert Schulz; Fiscal Year: 1990..glass-core calorimeter containing nitrogen-saturated water at 4 degrees C yields a dose- to-water from 4 MV x rays that is 1.006 times greater than that recorded by an ionization chamber...
- OSTEOARTHRITIS IN CHINESE VS CAUCASIAN POPULATIONSDavid Felson; Fiscal Year: 2000..Although a prevalence study, the survey in Beijing will be large enough to serve as the baseline for a later study of knee and hand OA incidence rates in women. ..
- DOUBLE STRAND BREAKS AND HETERODUPLEX DNA IN YEASTAndrew Vershon; Fiscal Year: 2001..The analysis of recombinational-repair proteins in simpler and more tractable organisms, like yeast, will therefore provide invaluable insights into several fundamental and important cellular processes. ..