- Mutation of von Hippel-Lindau tumour suppressor and human cardiopulmonary physiology
Thomas G Smith
Department of Physiology, Anatomy, and Genetics, University of Oxford, Oxford, United Kingdom
PLoS Med 3:e290. 2006
..This study investigated patients with Chuvash polycythaemia in order to analyse the role of the VHL-HIF pathway in systemic human cardiopulmonary physiology...
- In vivo integrated photoacoustic and confocal microscopy of hemoglobin oxygen saturation and oxygen partial pressure
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Washington University in St Louis, Campus Box 1097, One Brookings Drive, St Louis, Missouri 63130 4899, USA
Opt Lett 36:1029-31. 2011
..fluorescence confocal microscopy (FCM) to noninvasively image hemoglobin oxygen saturation (sO₂) and oxygen partial pressure (pO₂) in vivo in single blood vessels with high spatial resolution...
- Oxygen supply in aquatic ectotherms: partial pressure and solubility together explain biodiversity and size patterns
Wilco C E P Verberk
Marine Biology and Ecology Research Centre, School of Marine Science and Engineering, University of Plymouth, Davy Building, Drake Circus, Plymouth PL48AA, United Kingdom
Ecology 92:1565-72. 2011
..Physiologists emphasize oxygen partial pressure, while ecologists emphasize oxygen solubility, traditionally expressing oxygen in terms of concentrations...
- The partial pressure of resting end-tidal carbon dioxide predicts major cardiac events in patients with systolic heart failure
Department of Physical Therapy, Virginia Commonwealth University, Health Sciences Campus, Richmond, VA 23298 0224, USA
Am Heart J 156:982-8. 2008
The resting partial pressure of end-tidal carbon dioxide (Petco2) has been shown to reflect cardiac performance in acute care settings in patients with heart failure (HF)...
- Oxygen, a source of life and stress
M Christiane Brahimi-Horn
Institute of Signaling, Developmental Biology and Cancer Research, University of Nice, CNRS UMR 6543, Centre A Lacassagne, 33 Avenue Valombrose, 06189 Nice, France
FEBS Lett 581:3582-91. 2007
..In this review, we will introduce aspects of the physiology and biology of oxygen partial pressure and the molecular mechanisms implicated in oxygen sensing...
- Hypoxia and acidosis independently up-regulate vascular endothelial growth factor transcription in brain tumors in vivo
Edwin L Steele Laboratory, Department of Radiation Oncology, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02114, USA
Cancer Res 61:6020-4. 2001
..However, the relationship between tissue oxygen partial pressure (pO(2))/pH and VEGF transcription in vivo is not known...
- Transcutaneous monitoring of partial pressure of carbon dioxide in the elderly patient: a prospective, clinical comparison with end-tidal monitoring
Department of Anesthesia and Pain Therapy, University of Parma, and Ospedale Maggiore di Parma, Via Gramsci 14, 43100 Parma, Italy
J Clin Anesth 18:436-40. 2006
To evaluate the accuracy and precision of estimation of partial pressure of carbon dioxide (Pa(CO2)) using end-tidal or transcutaneous CO2 (TcP(CO2)) measurements during mechanical ventilation in the elderly patient.
- The increase in pulmonary arterial pressure caused by hypoxia depends on iron status
Thomas G Smith
Department of Physiology, Anatomy and Genetics, University of Oxford, Sherrington Building, Parks Road, Oxford OX1 3PT, UK
J Physiol 586:5999-6005. 2008
..Further research should investigate the potential for therapeutic manipulation of iron status in the management of hypoxic pulmonary hypertensive disease...
- Respiratory sinus arrhythmia. A phenomenon improving pulmonary gas exchange and circulatory efficiency
Third Department of Internal Medicine, Nagoya City University Medical School, Japan
Circulation 94:842-7. 1996
..We hypothesized that RSA benefits pulmonary gas exchange by matching perfusion to ventilation within each respiratory cycle...
- A novel technique to follow fast PaO2 variations during experimental CPR
Department of Anesthesiology, Johannes Gutenberg University, Medical School, Langenbeckstrasse 1, D 55131 Mainz, Germany
Resuscitation 65:71-8. 2005
..This study describes several validation experiments of this new device in vitro, and reports its first use during cardiopulmonary resuscitation in an animal model of cardiac arrest...
- CXCR4 expression and biologic activity in acute myeloid leukemia are dependent on oxygen partial pressure
Department of Molecular Hematology and Therapy and Stem Cell Transplantation and Cellular Therapy and Leukemia, University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Blood 113:1504-12. 2009
..Hy-poxia increases CXCR4 in several tumor models, but the impact of reduced O(2) partial pressure (pO(2)) on expression and biologic function of CXCR4 in AML is unknown...
- Single-acquisition sequence for the measurement of oxygen partial pressure by hyperpolarized gas MRI
M C Fischer
Department of Radiology, University of Pennsylvania Medical Center, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
Magn Reson Med 52:766-73. 2004
..Numerical simulations of the time evolution of the oxygen concentration were performed. Simulation results are presented to support the experimental data. Various parameter regimes were experimentally and numerically investigated...
- Effect on partial pressure of oxygen in arterial blood in percutaneous vertebroplasty
Department of Radiology, St Luke s International Hospital, Tokyo, Japan
AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 28:567-9. 2007
The purpose of this study is to estimate the change in partial pressure of oxygen (Pao(2)) during percutaneous vertebroplasty and also to examine the factors related to the change in Pao(2).
- Exercise ventilation inefficiency and cardiovascular mortality in heart failure: the critical independent prognostic value of the arterial CO2 partial pressure
Cardiopulmonary Laboratory, Cardiology Division, University of Milano, San Paolo Hospital, Via A Di Rudini, 8, 20142, Milano, Italy
Eur Heart J 26:472-80. 2005
..Ve/Vco(2) slope determinants are the dead space-tidal volume (Vd/Vt) ratio and the arterial CO(2) partial pressure (Paco(2)). We aimed at defining the respective prognostic role of these two variables.
- (3)he-MRI-based measurements of intrapulmonary p(O2) and its time course during apnea in healthy volunteers: first results, reproducibility, and technical limitations
A J Deninger
Department of Physics, University of Mainz, Staudingerweg 7, D 55099 Mainz, Germany
NMR Biomed 13:194-201. 2000
We applied a recently developed method of following the time course of the intrapulmonary oxygen partial pressure p(O2)(t) during apnea by (3)He MRI to healthy volunteers...
- Pilot study assessment of dynamic vascular changes in breast cancer with near-infrared tomography from prospectively targeted manipulations of inspired end-tidal partial pressure of oxygen and carbon dioxide
Dartmouth College, Thayer School of Engineering, Hanover, New Hampshire 03755, USA
J Biomed Opt 18:76011. 2013
The dynamic vascular changes in the breast resulting from manipulation of both inspired end-tidal partial pressure of oxygen and carbon dioxide were imaged using a 30 s per frame frequency-domain near-infrared spectral (NIRS) tomography ..
- Extent to which pulmonary vascular responses to PCO2 and PO2 play a functional role within the healthy human lung
Keith L Dorrington
Department of Physiology, Anatomy and Genetics, Sherrington Bldg, Parks Road, University of Oxford, Oxford, OX1 3PT, UK
J Appl Physiol (1985) 108:1084-96. 2010
..65), the response to CO2 dominates. The values for E suggest that the pulmonary vascular responses to both CO2 and O2 play a significant role in ventilation-perfusion matching in the healthy human lung...
- A flowing liquid test system for assessing the linearity and time-response of rapid fibre optic oxygen partial pressure sensors
Nuffield Division of Anaesthetics, Nuffield Department of Clinical Neurosciences, University of Oxford, John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford OX3 9DU, UK
Respir Physiol Neurobiol 183:100-7. 2012
..by means of a system of rapid cross-over solenoid valves exposing the sensor to an abrupt change in oxygen partial pressure, P O2...
- Increasing arterial oxygen partial pressure during cardiopulmonary resuscitation is associated with improved rates of hospital admission
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Medical University of Graz, Auenbruggerplatz 15, 8036 Graz, Austria
Resuscitation 84:770-5. 2013
- Impact of dissolved hydrogen partial pressure on mixed culture fermentations
Stefan de Kok
Department of Biotechnology, Delft University of Technology, Julianalaan 67, 2628 BC, Delft, The Netherlands
Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 97:2617-25. 2013
..mixed culture fermentations is that the NADH/NAD(+) ratio is directly coupled to the dissolved hydrogen partial pressure (pH2, liquid)...
- Transcutaneous carbon dioxide monitoring accurately predicts arterial carbon dioxide partial pressure in patients undergoing prolonged laparoscopic surgery
Department of Anesthesiology, Ruijin Hospital, Shanghai Jiaotong University School of Medicine, 197, No 2 Ruijin Road, Shanghai 200025, P R China
Anesth Analg 111:417-20. 2010
There may be large differences between measurements of end-tidal carbon dioxide partial pressure (Petco(2)) and arterial carbon dioxide partial pressure (Paco(2)) during laparoscopic surgeries...
- Association between postresuscitation partial pressure of arterial carbon dioxide and neurological outcome in patients with post-cardiac arrest syndrome
Brian W Roberts
Department of Emergency Medicine, Cooper University Hospital, Cooper Medical School of Rowan University, Camden, NJ 08103, USA
Circulation 127:2107-13. 2013
b>Partial pressure of arterial CO2 (Paco(2)) is a regulator of cerebral blood flow after brain injury...
- Soil carbon dioxide partial pressure and dissolved inorganic carbonate chemistry under elevated carbon dioxide and ozone
N J Karberg
USDA Forest Service, North Central Research Station, 410 MacInnes Drive, Houghton, MI 49931, USA
Oecologia 142:296-306. 2005
..The effects of multiple air pollutants can alter belowground C allocation, leading to changes in the partial pressure of CO(2) (pCO(2)) in the soil , chemistry of dissolved inorganic carbonate (DIC) and the rate of mineral ..
- Cerebral oxygenation in awake rats during acclimation and deacclimation to hypoxia: an in vivo electron paramagnetic resonance study
Jeff F Dunn
Department of Radiology, Experimental Imaging Centre, Hotchkiss Brain Institute, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
High Alt Med Biol 12:71-7. 2011
..5 to 3 days. These data indicate that exposure to hypoxia results in significant improvements in steady-state oxygenation for a given inspired O(2) and that both acclimation and deacclimation can occur within days...
- Differences in mortality based on worsening ratio of partial pressure of oxygen to fraction of inspired oxygen corrected for immune system status and respiratory support
Lachlan F Miles
Alfred Hospital, Melbourne, Vic, Australia
Crit Care Resusc 14:25-32. 2012
- 19F-MRI of perflubron for measurement of oxygen partial pressure in porcine lungs during partial liquid ventilation
Department of Radiology, Johannes Gutenberg University, Mainz, Germany
Magn Reson Med 47:82-9. 2002
A method for in vivo measurement of oxygen partial pressure (pO2) in porcine lungs during partial liquid ventilation (PLV) with perflubron (PFOB) was developed...
- Simultaneous imaging of cerebral partial pressure of oxygen and blood flow during functional activation and cortical spreading depression
Photon Migration Imaging Laboratory, MGH MIT HMS Athinuola A Martinos Center for Biomedical Imaging, Department of Radiology, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Charlestown, Massachusetts 02129, USA
Appl Opt 48:D169-77. 2009
We developed a novel imaging technique that provides real-time two-dimensional maps of the absolute partial pressure of oxygen and relative cerebral blood flow in rats by combining phosphorescence lifetime imaging with laser speckle ..
- Nutrient availability and atmospheric CO2 partial pressure modulate the effects of nutrient heterogeneity on the size structure of populations in grassland species
Fernando T Maestre
Department of Biology, Duke University, Phytotron Building, Box 90340, Durham, NC 27708, USA
Ann Bot 98:227-35. 2006
..a) nutrient heterogeneity promotes size-asymmetric competition; and (b) nutrient heterogeneity interacts with both atmospheric CO2 partial pressure (P(CO2)) and nutrient availability to determine the magnitude of this response.
- A method for measuring brain partial pressure of oxygen in unanesthetized unrestrained subjects: the effect of acute and chronic hypoxia on brain tissue PO(2)
Department of Radiology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
J Neurosci Methods 193:217-25. 2010
..Tissue partial pressure of oxygen (PtO(2)) is influenced by the use of anesthesia or restraint...
- Contrasting effects of lower body positive pressure on upper airways resistance and partial pressure of carbon dioxide in men with heart failure and obstructive or central sleep apnea
Sleep Research Laboratory of the Toronto Rehabilitation Institute, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Am Coll Cardiol 61:1157-66. 2013
..displacement from the legs on transpharyngeal resistance (Rph), minute volume of ventilation (Vmin), and partial pressure of carbon dioxide (PCO2) in men with heart failure (HF) and either obstructive (OSA) or central sleep apnea (..
- Acute changes in circulating concentrations of progesterone and nitric oxide and partial pressure of oxygen during prostaglandin F2alpha-induced luteolysis in cattle
Tomas Javier Acosta
Laboratory of Reproductive Endocrinology, Graduate School of Natural Science and Technology, Okayama University, Okayama, Japan
J Reprod Dev 55:149-55. 2009
..circulating concentrations of progesterone (P4) and nitrite/nitrate (the stable metabolites of NO) and the partial pressure of oxygen (pO(2)) during prostaglandin F(2alpha) (PGF(2alpha))-induced luteolysis in cattle...
- Effects of syringe type and storage temperature on results of blood gas analysis in arterial blood of horses
Department of Clinical Sciences, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Universite de Montreal, Saint Hyacinthe, QC, Canada
J Vet Intern Med 21:476-81. 2007
..However, the acceptable delay between time of collection and analysis for equine arterial blood gas remains unknown...
- Two-photon high-resolution measurement of partial pressure of oxygen in cerebral vasculature and tissue
Photon Migration Imaging Laboratory, Athinoula A Martinos Center for Biomedical Imaging, Department of Radiology, Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Charlestown, MA, USA
Nat Methods 7:755-9. 2010
Measurements of oxygen partial pressure (pO(2)) with high temporal and spatial resolution in three dimensions is crucial for understanding oxygen delivery and consumption in normal and diseased brain...
- Variation of venous admixture, SF6 shunt, PaO2, and the PaO2/FIO2 ratio with FIO2
J P Whiteley
Nuffield Department of Anaesthetics, University of Oxford, Radcliffe Infirmary, Woodstock Road, Oxford OX2 6HE, UK
Br J Anaesth 88:771-8. 2002
..Measures of impairment of oxygenation can be affected by the inspired oxygen fraction...
- In vivo mitochondrial oxygen tension measured by a delayed fluorescence lifetime technique
Egbert G Mik
Department of Physiology, Academic Medical Center, University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Biophys J 95:3977-90. 2008
..The reported technology is scalable from microscopic to macroscopic applications, and its reliance on an endogenous compound greatly enhances its potential field of applications...
- Low pO2 and beta-estradiol induce VEGF in MCF-7 and MCF-7-5C cells: relationship to in vivo hypoxia
Department of Radiation Oncology, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia 19104, USA
Breast Cancer Res Treat 67:51-60. 2001
..Therefore, although these two cell lines grown as tumors have substantial differences in the presence and patterns of hypoxia, this could not be explained by a difference in VEGF induction...
- Experimental and theoretical studies of oxygen gradients in rat pial microvessels
Centre for Atmospheric Sciences, Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi, India
J Cereb Blood Flow Metab 28:1597-604. 2008
- An evaluation of capnography monitoring during the apnoea test in brain-dead patients
Universite Pierre et Marie Curie Paris VI, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, Centre Hospitalo Universitaire Pitie Salpetriere, Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care, Paris, France
Eur J Anaesthesiol 24:868-75. 2007
..the absence of spontaneous respiratory movements during the apnoea test and an arterial carbon dioxide partial pressure above 60 mmHg...
- Dual responses of tissue partial pressure of oxygen after functional stimulation in rat somatosensory cortex
School of Fundamental Science and Technology, Graduate School of Keio University, 223 8522, Yokohama, Japan
Brain Res 979:104-13. 2003
To compare the spatial heterogeneity of brain tissue partial pressure of oxygen (pO(2)) among local brain regions, we focused on functional and anatomical variations in rat somatosensory cortex...
- Postoperative hypoxemia exacerbates potential brain injury after deep hypothermic circulatory arrest
Steven S L Tsui
Duke University Medical Center, Division of Thoracic Surgery, Durham, North Carolina, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 78:188-96; discussion 188-96. 2004
..This study reports the cerebral metabolic consequences if hypoxemic conditions are present after DHCA...
- Photosynthetic water oxidation at elevated dioxygen partial pressure monitored by time-resolved X-ray absorption measurements
Freie Universitat Berlin, Institut fur Experimentalphysik, Arnimallee 14, 14195 Berlin, Germany
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 105:17384-9. 2008
..To investigate product inhibition at elevated oxygen partial pressure (pO(2) ranging from 0...
- PO2 measurements in the microcirculation using phosphorescence quenching microscopy at high magnification
Aleksander S Golub
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, Medical College of Virginia Campus, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, Virginia, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 294:H2905-16. 2008
..Thus the SEA technique significantly improves the accuracy of microscopic Po2 measurements in the microcirculation using the PQM...
- High sensitivity of Lobelia dortmanna to sediment oxygen depletion following organic enrichment
Claus Lindskov Møller
Freshwater Biological Laboratory, Biological Institute, University of Copenhagen, Hillerød, Denmark
New Phytol 190:320-31. 2011
..Brief anoxia in sediments and leaf lacunae late at night is a recurring summer phenomenon in Lobelia populations, but increased input of organic matter prolongs anoxia and reduces survival...
- Predicting the effect of temporal variations in PO2 on tumor radiosensitivity
J P Kirkpatrick
Department of Radiation Oncology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 59:822-33. 2004
..This article explores the effect of these temporal variations in PO(2) on the oxygen enhancement ratio, effective radiation dose to the tumor, and tumor control probability...
- Oxygen advection and diffusion in a three- dimensional vascular anatomical network
Martinos Center for Biomedical Imaging, Massachusetts General Hospital, Charlestown, Massachusetts 02129, USA
Opt Express 16:17530-41. 2008
..We validated this algorithm for both static and dynamic conditions. We also applied it to a complex vascular network obtained from a rodent somatosensory cortex. Qualitative agreement was found with in-vivo experiments...
- Automated detection of gastric luminal partial pressure of carbon dioxide during cardiovascular surgery using the Tonocap
Department of Anesthesiology, The Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, New York, USA
Anesthesiology 92:38-45. 2000
..system of air tonometry (Tonocap; Datex Ohmeda, Helsinki, Finland) allows for frequent (every 15 min) measurement of gastric luminal partial pressure of carbon dioxide. Its use has not been described in cardiac surgical patients.
- Use of end-tidal partial pressure of carbon dioxide to predict arterial partial pressure of carbon dioxide in harp seals during isoflurane-induced anesthesia
Daniel S J Pang
Departement de Sciences Cliniques, Faculte de Medecine Veterinaire, Universite de Montreal, St Hyacinthe, QC, Canada
Am J Vet Res 67:1131-5. 2006
To evaluate the relationship between end-tidal partial pressure of CO(2) (ETCO(2)) and PaCO(2) in isoflurane-anesthetized harp seals.
- Role of determination of partial pressure of ammonia in cirrhotic patients with and without hepatic encephalopathy
Divisione di Gastroenterologia, Dipartimento di Medicina Clinica, Universita degli Studi di Roma La Sapienza, Viale dell Universita 37, 00185 Rome, Italy
J Hepatol 38:441-6. 2003
To compare venous, arterial and partial pressure of ammonia (pNH(3)) in 27 consecutive cirrhotics with hepatic encephalopathy, 15 cirrhotics without hepatic encephalopathy and nine controls; to reevaluate all parameters after the ..
- Electron paramagnetic resonance oxygen image hypoxic fraction plus radiation dose strongly correlates with tumor cure in FSa fibrosarcomas
Department of Radiation and Cellular Oncology, University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine, Chicago, IL 60637, USA
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 71:542-9. 2008
..In this study, electron paramagnetic resonance (EPR) oxygen imaging was investigated for its power to predict the success of tumor control according to tumor oxygenation level and radiation dose...
- Vascular endothelial growth factor gene expression in the human breast cancer cell line MX-1 is controlled by O2 availability in vitro and in vivo
J H Marxsen
Department of Medicine I, , Germany
Ann Anat 183:243-9. 2001
..Thus, pO2-dependence of VEGF gene expression can be maintained in cancer cells, even in vivo, which may be relevant in regard to therapeutic attempts to inhibit tumor angiogenesis by increasing tumor oxygenation...
- The partial pressure of oxygen affects biomarkers of oxidative stress in cultured rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) hepatocytes
E F Finne
Norwegian Institute for Water Research, Gaustadalleen 21, Oslo, Norway
Toxicol In Vitro 22:1657-61. 2008
..The objective of the current study was to determine the extent to which differences in oxygen partial pressure would affect biomarkers of oxidative stress in a primary culture of hepatocytes from rainbow trout (..
- Tumor-dependent kinetics of partial pressure of oxygen fluctuations during air and oxygen breathing
L Isabel Cardenas-Navia
Department of Radiation Oncology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
Cancer Res 64:6010-7. 2004
The primary purpose of this study was to examine the kinetics of partial pressure of oxygen (pO2) fluctuations in fibrosarcoma (FSA) and 9L tumors under air and O2 breathing conditions...
- Invasive oxygen measurements and pimonidazole labeling in human cervix carcinoma
Department of Experimental Clinical Oncology, Danish Cancer Society, Aarhus University Hospital, Aarhus, Denmark
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 49:581-6. 2001
..This study was designed to compare tumor hypoxia assessed by invasive O2 sensitive electrodes and pimonidazole labeling in primary human cervix carcinomas...
- Exhaled breath condensate pH standardised for CO2 partial pressure
Dept of Pathophysiology, National Korányi Institute for Tuberculosis and Pulmonology, Budapest, Hungary
Eur Respir J 29:496-501. 2007
..The aim of the present study was to determine the effect of condensate CO2 partial pressure on pH and to provide a more precise mode of EBC pH determination...
- Noninvasive oxygen partial pressure measurement of human body fluids in vivo using magnetic resonance imaging
University of California, San Francisco, 505 Parnassus Avenue, San Francisco, California 94143 0628, USA
Acad Radiol 13:1016-24. 2006
The oxygen partial pressure (pO2) of human body fluids reflects the oxygenation status of surrounding tissues. All existing fluid pO2 measurements are invasive, requiring either microelectrode/optode placement or fluid removal...
- Partial pressure of ammonia versus ammonia in hepatic encephalopathy
University Hospital Vienna, Department of Medicine IV, Vienna, Austria
Hepatology 31:30-4. 2000
..is present in gaseous form readily enters the brain, the correlation with the grade of HE of the pH-dependent partial pressure of gaseous ammonia (pNH(3)) could be better than that of total arterial ammonia levels...
- Biphasic changes in tissue partial pressure of oxygen closely related to localized neural activity in guinea pig auditory cortex
School of Fundamental Science and Technology, Graduate School of Keio University, Yokohama, Japan
J Cereb Blood Flow Metab 23:1075-84. 2003
..However, spatiotemporal relations between changes in tissue partial pressure of oxygen (Po2) and induced neural activity remain incompletely understood...
- Temporal dynamics of the partial pressure of brain tissue oxygen during functional forepaw stimulation in rats
B M Ances
Department of Neurology, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, 3400 Spruce Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Neurosci Lett 306:106-10. 2001
The partial pressure of tissue oxygen (pO2) was measured in rat somatosensory cortex during periodic electrical forepaw stimulation of either 1 min or 4 s in duration, and correlated with simultaneous laser Doppler flowmetry...
- Measurements of regional alveolar oxygen pressure using hyperpolarized 3He MRI
Martin C Fischer
Department of Radiology, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, B1, Stellar Chance Labs, Philadelphia, PA19104 6100, USA
Acad Radiol 12:1430-9. 2005
..HP) helium-3 (3He) magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) methods to measure regional alveolar oxygen partial pressure (P(A)O2) and oxygen depletion rate (R) in the lung...
- Beta-adrenergic receptor stimulation and adenoviral overexpression of superoxide dismutase prevent the hypoxia-mediated decrease in Na,K-ATPase and alveolar fluid reabsorption
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Northwestern University Medical School, Chicago, Illinois 60611, USA
J Biol Chem 281:19892-8. 2006
..Hypoxic Adnull rats had decreased rates of AFR (0.12 +/- 0.1 ml/h) as compared with hypoxic AdSOD2 and normoxic control rats (0.47 +/- 0.04 ml/h and 0.49 +/- 0.02 ml/h, respectively), with parallel changes in Na,K-ATPase...
- Interhospital transportation of patients with severe lung failure on pumpless extracorporeal lung assist
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Regensburg, Germany
Br J Anaesth 96:63-6. 2006
..To describe the use of pumpless extracorporeal interventional lung assist (iLA) for transportation of patients with severe life-threatening acute lung failure from tertiary hospitals to a specialized centre...
- Recovery of radial PO(2) profiles from phosphorescence quenching measurements in microvessels
Aleksander S Golub
Department of Physiology, Medical College of Virginia Campus, P O Box 980551, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, Virginia 23298 0551, USA
Comp Biochem Physiol A Mol Integr Physiol 132:169-76. 2002
..The intravascular PO(2) in these microvessels was very heterogeneous, which could be explained by the existence of significant radial PO(2) gradients. The radial PO(2) gradients were estimated to be approximately 1 mmHg/microm...
- Two-dimensional and three-dimensional oxygen mapping by 3He-MRI validation in a lung phantom
Klaus Kurt Gast
Department of Radiology, Johannes Gutenberg University Hospital, Langenbeckstrasse 1, 55131, Mainz, Germany
Eur Radiol 15:1915-22. 2005
..3He-MRI in noninvasive determination of the regional, two- and three-dimensional distribution of oxygen partial pressure. In a gas-filled elastic silicon ventilation bag used as a lung phantom, oxygen sensitive two- and three-..
- Crater landscape: two-dimensional oxygen gradients in the circulatory system of the microcrustacean Daphnia magna
Institut fur Zoophysiologie, Westfalische Wilhelms Universitat, Hindenburgplatz 55, 48143 Münster, Germany
J Exp Biol 207:4393-405. 2004
..Oxyphor R2 was injected into the circulatory system and the distribution of oxygen partial pressure (P(O(2))) in the haemolymph was measured by phosphorescence lifetime imaging in the P(O(2)) range 0-6 kPa (0-..
- Effects of hemorrhage on gastrointestinal oxygenation
Catedra de Farmacologia, Facultad de Ciencias Medicas, Universidad Nacional de La Plata, calle 42 No 577, 1900 La Plata, Argentina
Intensive Care Med 27:1931-6. 2001
..1) To demonstrate that metabolic parameters are better indicators of tissue hypoxia than regional and whole oxygen consumption (VO(2)). (2) To compare intramucosal pH (pHi) in different gastrointestinal segments...
- Monitoring of end-tidal carbon dioxide partial pressure changes during infrarenal aortic cross-clamping: a non-invasive method to predict unclamping hypotension
Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care, DAR B, Medical University of Montpellier, France
Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 45:188-93. 2001
..To assess the variations in end-tidal CO2 in response to aortic cross-clamping and the relationship with systolic arterial pressure (SAP) changes induced by unclamping...
- Small intestine intramucosal PCO(2) and microvascular blood flow during hypoxic and ischemic hypoxia
Service de Réanimation Médicale et de Médecine Hyperbare, Hopital Calmette, Lille, France
Crit Care Med 30:379-84. 2002
..To determine whether small intestine intramucosal PCO(2) and mucosal blood flow changes would be different between ischemic and hypoxic hypoxia...
- Differential haemoglobin gene expression in the crustacean Daphnia magna exposed to different oxygen partial pressures
Institut fur Zoophysiologie, Westfalische Wilhelms Universitat Munster, D 48143 Munster, Germany
Biol Chem 384:1133-45. 2003
The quantity and quality of the haemoglobin (Hb) of Daphnia magna is related to oxygen partial pressure in the water...
- Carbon dioxide pressure-concentration relationship in arterial and mixed venous blood during exercise
X G Sun
Division of Respiratory and Critical Care Physiology and Medicine, Harbor-University of California Los Angeles Medical Center, Torrance 90509-2910, USA
J Appl Physiol 90:1798-810. 2001
..4 to 15.2 mM. We conclude that changes in buffer base and pH dominate the PCO(2)-CCO(2) relationship during exercise, with changes in Hb and blood oxyhemoglobin saturation exerting much less influence...
- Indispensability of the Escherichia coli carbonic anhydrases YadF and CynT in cell proliferation at a low CO2 partial pressure
Department of Biology, Tokyo Metropolitan University, Minamiohsawa, Hachioji, Tokyo 192 0397, Japan
Biosci Biotechnol Biochem 67:919-22. 2003
..This suggests that these carbonic anhydrases are essential because they maintain HCO3- levels at ambient CO2 concentrations...
- Effects of carbonic anhydrase inhibition on ventilation-perfusion matching in the dog lung
E R Swenson
Department of Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle 98195
J Clin Invest 92:702-9. 1993
..These results support the concept that lung CA subserves VA/Q matching in the normal lung...
- Endotoxemia causes ileal mucosal acidosis in the absence of mucosal hypoxia in a normodynamic porcine model of septic shock
T J VanderMeer
Department of Surgery, Beth Israel Hospital, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Crit Care Med 23:1217-26. 1995
..To evaluate the hypothesis that splanchnic ischemia and mucosal hypoxia are responsible for lipopolysaccharide-induced intramucosal acidosis in pigs...
- Human pulmonary vascular response to 4 h of hypercapnia and hypocapnia measured using Doppler echocardiography
George M Balanos
University Laboratory of Physiology, University of Oxford, Oxford OX1 3PT, United Kingdom
J Appl Physiol 94:1543-51. 2003
..The human pulmonary circulatory response to changes in Pco(2) has a slower time course and greater sensitivity than is commonly assumed. Vascular tone in the normal pulmonary circulation is substantial...
- Magnitude of the second gas effect on arterial sevoflurane partial pressure
Philip J Peyton
Department of Anaesthesia, Austin Hospital, Heidelberg, Melbourne, Australia
Anesthesiology 108:381-7. 2008
A number of studies have demonstrated a faster rate of increase in end-expired partial pressure as a fraction of inspired (Pa/Pi) for volatile agents in the presence of high concentrations of nitrous oxide, consistent with the second gas ..
- Esophageal capnometry during hemorrhagic shock and after resuscitation in rats
Balagangadhar R Totapally
Associate Professor and Research Director, Division of Critical Care Medicine, Miami Children s Hospital, Miami, Florida, USA
Crit Care 7:79-84. 2003
- Influence of flow on mucosal-to-arterial carbon dioxide difference
Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine, University Hospital of Lille, Lille, France
Crit Care 6:463-4. 2002
- Intramucosal-arterial PCO2 gap fails to reflect intestinal dysoxia in hypoxic hypoxia
Catedra de Farmacologia, Facultad de Ciencias Medicas, Universidad Nacional de La Plata, Argentina
Crit Care 6:514-20. 2002
..An elevation in intramucosal-arterial PCO2 gradient (DeltaPCO2) could be determined either by tissue hypoxia or by reduced blood flow. Our hypothesis was that in hypoxic hypoxia with preserved blood flow, DeltaPCO2 should not be altered...
- Comparison of brain tissue and local cerebral venous gas tensions and pH
G J Edelman
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Illinois at Chicago, IL, USA
Neurol Res 22:642-4. 2000
..Tissue sensors such as the Neurotrend probe can offer reliable trend indications in brain tissue gas tensions and pH...
- Partial pressure of end-tidal carbon dioxide successful predicts cardiopulmonary resuscitation in the field: a prospective observational study
Medikmiko General Practice, Gregorciceva, 3000 Celje, Slovenia
Crit Care 12:R115. 2008
- Storage of strain-specific rat blood limits cerebral tissue oxygen delivery during acute fluid resuscitation
Department of Anaesthesia, Keenan Research Centre, Li Ka Shing Knowledge Institute, St Michael s Hospital, 30 Bond Street, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5B 1W8
Br J Anaesth 100:357-64. 2008
..Some studies demonstrate reduced microvascular oxygen delivery, whereas others do not. We hypothesize that storage of rat blood will limit its ability to deliver oxygen to cerebral tissue...
- A simple solution is "prime" for fetal cardiopulmonary bypass
R Scott Baker
Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Cincinnati Children s Hospital Medical Center, Ohio 45229 3039, USA
ASAIO J 53:710-5. 2007
..Calcium addition to the prime adversely affects fetal gas exchange worsening acidosis during fetal bypass. Bicarbonate addition to the prime is also detrimental to the fetus resulting in greater CO2 production and impaired hemodynamics...
- The effect of O2 and CO2 on the dive behavior and heart rate of lesser scaup ducks (Aythya affinis): quantification of the critical PaO2 that initiates a diving bradycardia
Kim A Borg
Department of Zoology, University of British Columbia, 6270 University Boulevard, Vancouver, BC, V6T 1Z4, Canada
Respir Physiol Neurobiol 144:263-79. 2004
- Early postnatal chronic intermittent hypoxia modifies hypoxic respiratory responses and long-term phrenic facilitation in adult rats
Stephen R Reeves
Department of Pediatrics, Kosair Children s Hospital Research Institute, University of Louisville School of Medicine, Suite 204, 570 South Preston St, Louisville, KY 40202, USA
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 290:R1664-71. 2006
..e., metaplasticity) and markedly differ from previously reported increased neural plasticity changes induced by CIH in adult rats...
- Can carotid body perfusion act as a respiratory controller?
Biomathematics Research Group, Department of Mathematics, University of Turku, FIN 20014 Turku, Finland
J Theor Biol 249:737-48. 2007
..to the arterial O(2) and CO(2) levels is assumed to be mediated via the controller's intracellular O(2) partial pressure and pH...
- Coronary sinus venoarterial CO2 difference in different hemodynamic states
University Hos of Alexandroupolis, Greece
Acta Anaesthesiol Belg 55:221-7. 2004
..to examine the impact of the variations of cardiac mechanical work on veno-arterial CO2 content and partial pressure difference (deltaPCO2) of the coronary sinus blood...
- Experimental retinal vein occlusion: effect of acetazolamide and carbogen (95% O2/5% CO2) on preretinal PO2
Jean Antoine C Pournaras
Department of Ophthalmology, University Hospital of Geneva, Geneva, Switzerland
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 45:3669-77. 2004
To evaluate the variations of preretinal oxygen partial pressure (Po(2)) in normal and in ischemic postexperimental branch retinal vein occlusion (BRVO) areas, during normoxia, hyperoxia (100% O(2)), and carbogen (95% O(2), 5% CO(2)) ..
- Acclimation to hypoxia does not improve hypoxic survival of the immature pig in confined atmosphere
Israel Naval Medical Institute, IDF Medical Corps, PO Box 8040, 31 080 Haifa, Israel
Mil Med 173:107-11. 2008
..Humans may be accidentally trapped in a confined atmosphere in which oxygen availability is limited. If acclimation would extend survival, hypoxic acclimation in confined spaces would be recommended...
- Relationship between baseline cerebral blood flow and vascular responses to changes in PaCO2 measured by positron emission tomography in humans: implication of inter-individual variations of cerebral vascular tone
Department of Radiology and Nuclear Medicine, Akita Research Institute of Brain and Blood Vessels, Akita, Japan
Acta Physiol (Oxf) 193:325-30. 2008
..In the present study, the relationship between CBF and cerebral vascular tone to inter-individual variation at rest condition was investigated using positron emission tomography (PET)...
- Pulmonary gas exchange in the morbidly obese
G S Zavorsky
Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Women s Health, School of Medicine, Saint Louis University, Saint Mary s Health Center, Saint Louis, Missouri 63117, USA
Obes Rev 9:326-39. 2008
..The alveolar-to-arterial oxygen partial pressure difference (AaDO2) was large at rest in upright subjects at sea level (23, range 5-38 mmHg) while the ..
- Validation and application of a high-fidelity, computational model of acute respiratory distress syndrome to the examination of the indices of oxygenation at constant lung-state
R A McCahon
University Department of Anaesthesia, Queen s Medical Centre, Nottingham NG7 2UH, UK
Br J Anaesth 101:358-65. 2008
..The study is the first step in developing an accurate and non-invasive tool to quantify oxygenation defects...
- Tacrolimus ameliorates cerebral vasodilatation and intracranial hypertension in the rat with portacaval anastomosis and hyperammonemia
Department of Hepatology, Copenhagen University Hospital, Copenhagen, Denmark
Liver Transpl 10:922-7. 2004
..These findings indicate that tacrolimus could be of clinical value in the prevention of cerebral hyperemia, high ICP, and serious brain damage in patients with FHF...
- Seasonal changes in blood oxygen transport and acid-base status in the tegu lizard, Tupinambis merianae
Denis V Andrade
Departamento de Zoologia, Universidade Estadual Paulista, Caixa Postal 199, 13500 970 Rio Claro, SP, Brazil
Respir Physiol Neurobiol 140:197-208. 2004
..Dormancy was accompanied by an increase in plasma bicarbonate ([HCO-(3)]pl) and an elevation of arterial CO2 partial pressure (PaCO2) and CO2 content in the plasma (CplCO2)...
- [Experimental branch vein occlusion: the effect of carbogen breathing on preretinal PO2]
J A C Pournaras
Hopitaux Universitaires de Geneve, Clinique d ophtalmologie, 22, Rue Alcide Jentzer 22, 1211 Geneve 14, Suisse
J Fr Ophtalmol 26:813-8. 2003
..To evaluate the variations in preretinal PO2 in normal and in ischemic postexperimental branch vein occlusion (BRVO) retinal areas during normoxia, hyperoxia (100% O2) and carbogen (95% O2, 5% CO2) breathing...
- [Comparative study of six blood gas analysers]
M F Daures
Laboratoire de Biochimie, Hopital Saint Eloi, Montpellier
Ann Biol Clin (Paris) 65:505-18. 2007
..A high level of statistic concordance was observed between the different analysers. So the equipment has been selected using biological, analytic and computing criteria...
- Changes in respiratory control after 5 days at altitude
Ron B Somogyi
Department of Physiology, University of Toronto, Medical Science Bldg, Room 3326, 1 Kings College Circle, Toronto, Ont, Canada, M5S 1A8
Respir Physiol Neurobiol 145:41-52. 2005
..6+/-0.30 g L(-1) to 49.8+/-0.76 g L(-1). We suggest that the respiratory alkalosis was produced by a fall in the chemoreflex threshold and pH was corrected by an elevation in the concentration of weakly dissociated protein anions...
- Increased expired NO and roles of CO2 and endogenous NO after venous gas embolism in rabbits
Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, Karolinska Institutet, 17177, Stockholm, Sweden
Eur J Appl Physiol 97:210-5. 2006
..Furthermore, an intact NO production may be critical for the tolerance to VGE. Finally, FeNO might have a potential in the diagnosis and monitoring of pulmonary gas embolism...
- Tissue oxygenation response to mild hypercapnia during cardiopulmonary bypass with constant pump output
Outcomes Research Institute, University of Louisville, KY 40202, USA
Br J Anaesth 96:708-14. 2006
..However, relative contributions of increased cardiac output and peripheral vasodilation to this response remains unknown. We thus tested the hypothesis that increased cardiac output is the dominant mechanism...
- Effect of carbogen breathing and acetazolamide on optic disc PO2
Ioannis K Petropoulos
Department of Ophthalmology, University Hospitals of Geneva, Switzerland
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 46:4139-46. 2005
Acetazolamide was previously shown to increase optic disc partial pressure of oxygen (PO(2))...
- Acute physiologic predictors of mortality and functional and cognitive recovery in hemorrhagic stroke: 1-, 3-, and 6-month assessments
Department of Nursing, College of Medicine, Inha University, Incheon, Republic of Korea
J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis 16:57-63. 2007
..It appears that the physiologic predictors of hemorrhagic stroke are remarkably dependent on outcome definitions (i.e., mortality, functional disability, or cognitive ability), but not with recovery times...
- Zacopride and 8-OH-DPAT reverse opioid-induced respiratory depression and hypoxia but not catatonic immobilization in goats
Leith C R Meyer
Brain Function Research Unit, School of Physiology, University of the Witwatersrand, South Africa
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 290:R405-13. 2006
..013), percent hemoglobin oxygen saturation (P < 0.0001), and arterial oxygen partial pressure [Pa(O2); F(10,70) = 5.67, P < 0.05] and increased arterial carbon dioxide partial pressure [F(10,70) = 3...
- [Gasometric alterations in hospitalized cirrhotic patients]
Servicio de Aparato Digestivo, Hospital Universitari Germans Trias i Pujol, Badalona, Barcelona
An Med Interna 22:209-12. 2005
..The aim of this study was to describe the frequency and severity of gasometric alterations in hospitalized cirrhotic patients, a their correlation with hepatocellular disfunction...