Genomes and Genes
Summary: The property of nonisotropic media, such as crystals, whereby a single incident beam of light traverses the medium as two beams, each plane-polarized, the planes being at right angles to each other. (Cline et al., Dictionary of Visual Science, 4th ed)
Publications233 found, 100 shown here
- Collagen birefringence in skin repair in response to red polarized-laser therapyDaniela de Fátima Teixeira da Silva
IPEN CNEN SP, Instituto de Pesquisas Energéticas e Nucleares Comissão, Nacional de Energia Nuclear SP, Centro de Lasers e Aplicacoes, CEP 05508 000, Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
J Biomed Opt 11:024002. 2006..irradiated using the electric field vector of the polarized laser radiation aligned in parallel with the rat's occipital-caudal direction show higher birefringence, indicating that collagen bundles in these lesions are more organized.
- Enhanced corneal compensation for scanning laser polarimetry on eyes with atypical polarisation patternM Toth
Department of Ophthalmology, Semmelweis University, Budapest, Hungary
Br J Ophthalmol 89:1139-42. 2005....
- Detecting fixation on a target using time-frequency distributions of a retinal birefringence scanning signalBoris Gramatikov
Laboratory of Ophthalmic Optics, Krieger Children s Eye Center, Pediatric Ophthalmology and Adult Strabismus, Wilmer Ophthalmological Institute, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Rm 233, 600 N Wolfe St, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Biomed Eng Online 12:41. 2013..With very young patients who are not cooperative enough, this presents a problem, because central fixation may be present only during very short-lasting episodes, and can easily be missed by the FFT...
- A quantitative collagen fibers orientation assessment using birefringence measurements: calibration and application to human osteonsEwa M Spiesz
Institute of Lightweight Design and Structural Biomechanics, Vienna University of Technology, Vienna, Austria
J Struct Biol 176:302-6. 2011..In this study the out-of-plane collagen arrangement angle was calibrated to the linear birefringence of a longitudinally fibered mineralized turkey leg tendon cut at variety of angles to the main axis...
- In vivo three-dimensional birefringence analysis shows collagen differences between young and old photo-aged human skinShingo Sakai
Basic Research Laboratory, Kanebo Cosmetics Inc, Kanagawa, Japan
J Invest Dermatol 128:1641-7. 2008Polarization-sensitive optical coherence tomography (PS-OCT) permits non-invasive visualization of dermal birefringence, mainly due to collagenous structures...
- Review of polarization sensitive optical coherence tomography and Stokes vector determinationJohannes F de Boer
Harvard Medical School, Wellman Laboratories of Photomedicine, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts 02114, USA
J Biomed Opt 7:359-71. 2002..Effect of multiple scattering and speckle on the accuracy and noise of the computed Stokes parameters is discussed. Future directions for development of PS-OCT instrumentation for biological and medical applications is given...
- Birefringence of single and bundled microtubulesR Oldenbourg
Marine Biological Laboratory, Woods Hole, Massachusetts 02543, USA
Biophys J 74:645-54. 1998We have measured the birefringence of microtubules (MTs) and of MT-based macromolecular assemblies in vitro and in living cells by using the new Pol-Scope...
- In vivo burn imaging using Mueller optical coherence tomographyMilos Todorović
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Texas A and M University, College Station, TX 77843 3120, USA
Opt Express 16:10279-84. 2008..By using a decomposition algorithm developed by our group, we also mapped the local birefringence of the skin. The experimental results demonstrate the system's potential for in vivo burn-depth determination.
- Influence of ionic interactions on the photoinduced birefringence of poly[1-[4-(3-carboxy-4 hydroxyphenylazo) benzene sulfonamido]-1,2-ethanediyl, sodium salt] filmsQuirina Ferreira
CEFITEC, Faculdade de Ciencias e Tecnologia, Universidade Nova de Lisboa, Campus da Caparica, 2829 516 Caparica, Portugal
J Nanosci Nanotechnol 7:2659-66. 2007Electrostatic interactions govern most properties of polyelectrolyte films, as in the photoinduced birefringence of azo-containing polymers...
- Contrast improvement in scattered light confocal imaging of skin birefringent structures by depolarization detectionBabu Varghese
Care and Health Applications group, Philips Research Europe, High Tech Campus 34, 5656 AE Eindhoven, The Netherlands
J Biophotonics 4:850-8. 2011..method include imaging of hairs for assessing the efficacy of hair removal methods and measurement of skin birefringence. The underestimation of the birefringence content resulting from the orientation related effects associated ..
- Use of retinal nerve fiber layer birefringence as an addition to absorption in retinal scanning for biometric purposesMikael Agopov
Kirchhoff Institut für Physik, University of Heidelberg, INF 227, 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
Appl Opt 47:1048-53. 2008We built a device sensitive to the birefringence of the retinal nerve fiber layer for biometric purposes. A circle of 20 degrees diameter on the retina was scanned around the optic disk with a spot of light from a 785 nm laser diode...
- Scanning laser polarimetry with variable corneal compensation: identification and correction for corneal birefringence in eyes with macular diseaseHarmohina Bagga
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Miami School of Medicine, Bascom Palmer Eye Institute, Miami, Florida, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 44:1969-76. 2003..compensation (SLP-VCC), the macula is used as an intraocular polarimeter to calculate and neutralize corneal birefringence based on an intact Henle's layer...
- All-optical control of microfluidic components using form birefringenceSteven L Neale
School of Physics and Astronomy, St Andrews University, St Andrews, Fife, KY16 9SS, UK
Nat Mater 4:530-3. 2005..We demonstrate the modelling, fabrication and rotation of microgears based on the principle of form birefringence. Using a geometric anisotropy (a one-dimensional photonic crystal etched into the microgear), we can fabricate ..
- The optics of vertebrate photoreceptors: anisotropy and form birefringenceN W Roberts
School of Physics and Astronomy, University of Manchester, Manchester M13 9PL, UK
Vision Res 46:3259-66. 2006The optics of vertebrate photoreceptors have been investigated with specific reference to the effect of form birefringence. The complex dielectric tensor of the lamellar-like outer segment structure has been derived, allowing the ..
- Birefringence measurements in human skin using polarization-sensitive optical coherence tomographyMark C Pierce
Harvard Medical School, Massachusetts General Hospital, Wellman Center for Photomedicine, 50 Blossom Street Boston, Massachusetts 02114, USA
J Biomed Opt 9:287-91. 2004..Variation in normal skin birefringence according to anatomical location is demonstrated, and discussed in relation to collagen distribution at each ..
- A device for continuous monitoring of true central fixation based on foveal birefringenceBoris Gramatikov
Division of Pediatric Ophthalmology and Adult Strabismus, The Wilmer Eye Institute, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Wilmer 233, 600 N Wolfe St, Baltimore, MD 21287, USA
Ann Biomed Eng 41:1968-78. 2013A device for continuous monitoring of central fixation utilizes birefringence, the property of the Henle fibers surrounding the human fovea, to change the polarization state of light...
- Alignment of bicelles studied with high-field magnetic birefringence and small-angle neutron scattering measurementsMarianne Liebi
Laboratory of Food Process Engineering, ETH Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
Langmuir 29:3467-73. 2013b>Birefringence measurements at high magnetic field strength of up to 33 T were used to detect magnetically induced alignment of bicelles composed of 1,2-dimyristoyl-sn-glycero-3-phosphocholine (DMPC), cholesterol, and 1,2-dimyristoyl-sn-..
- Birefringence and second harmonic generation on tendon collagen following red linearly polarized laser irradiationDaniela Fátima Teixeira Silva
Post graduation Program in Biophotonics Applied to Health Sciences, Universidade Nove de Julho UNINOVE, Sao Paulo, SP 01504 001, Brazil
Ann Biomed Eng 41:752-62. 2013..8 nm) and characterization was undertaken using polarized light microscopy to investigate the birefringence and second harmonic generation to analyze nonlinear susceptibility. Rats received laser irradiation (P = 6...
- Tunable and switchable dual-wavelength dissipative soliton generation in an all-normal-dispersion Yb-doped fiber laser with birefringence fiber filterZ X Zhang
College of Physics and Communication Electronics, Key Laboratory of Photoelectron and Communications of Jiangxi Province, Jiangxi Normal University, Nanchang 330022, China
Opt Express 20:26736-42. 2012..Besides single-wavelength mode-locking, dual-wavelength mode-locking was achieved using an in-line birefringence fiber filter with periodic multiple passbands, which not only allows multiple wavelengths to oscillate ..
- Open source software for electric field Monte Carlo simulation of coherent backscattering in biological media containing birefringenceAndrew J Radosevich
Northwestern University, Biomedical Engineering Department, Tech E310, 2145 Sheridan Road, Evanston, Illinois 60208, USA
J Biomed Opt 17:115001. 2012..open source electric field tracking Monte Carlo program to model backscattering in biological media containing birefringence, with computation of the coherent backscattering phenomenon as an example...
- The susceptibility of pure tubulin to high magnetic fields: a magnetic birefringence and x-ray fiber diffraction studyW Bras
AMOLF Kruislaan, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Biophys J 74:1509-21. 1998..produced, and the results obtained from the fiber diffraction experiments have been compared with the magnetic birefringence experiments...
- Effect of individualized compensation for anterior segment birefringence on retinal nerve fiber layer assessments as determined by scanning laser polarimetryNeil T Choplin
Laser Diagnostic Technologies, Inc, San Diego, California 92127 2402, USA
Ophthalmology 110:719-25. 2003....
- Generation of radially polarized beam with a segmented spiral varying retarderW J Lai
Temasek Laboratories, Nanyang Technological University, 50 Nanyang Drive, Singapore 637553
Opt Express 16:15694-9. 2008..The SVR is designed based on the linear birefringence of alpha-barium borate (alpha-BBO) crystal and fabricated using a dry etching process...
- Tunable negative group index in metamaterial structures with large form birefringenceKirill Sinchuk
Department of Engineering and Technology, Western Carolina University, Cullowhee, NC 28723, USA
Opt Express 18:463-72. 2010..al. using form birefringent structures. Large birefringence as much as Deltan/n = 0...
- Mueller matrix decomposition for extraction of individual polarization parameters from complex turbid media exhibiting multiple scattering, optical activity, and linear birefringenceNirmalya Ghosh
Ontario Cancer Institute, Division of Biophysics and Bioimaging, University Health Network, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5G 2M9
J Biomed Opt 13:044036. 2008Linear birefringence and optical activity are two common optical polarization effects present in biological tissue, and determination of these properties has useful biomedical applications...
- Form birefringence as applied to biopolymer and inorganic material supraorganizationB C Vidal
Department of Anatomy, Cell Biology, Physiology and Biophysics Institute of Biology, UNICAMP, Campinas, SP, Brazil
Biotech Histochem 85:365-78. 2010I review here form, or textural, birefringence (Δ(F)) in the context of advances in the field, as well as with regard to findings and applications in the physics of photonic devices, fibers maintaining polarization, photonic crystal ..
- Dual-beam-scan Doppler optical coherence angiography for birefringence-artifact-free vasculature imagingShuichi Makita
Computational Optics Group in the University of Tsukuba, 1 1 1 Tennodai, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305 8573, Japan
Opt Express 20:2681-92. 2012..However, birefringence of biological tissues is an obstacle to vasculature imaging...
- Assessing crystallization droplets using birefringenceA Echalier
University of Warwick, Department of Biological Sciences, Gibbet Hill Road, Coventry CV4 7AL, England
Acta Crystallogr D Biol Crystallogr 60:696-702. 2004..The sensitivity of this automated birefringence technique enables the detection of microcrystals in a precipitate that appears to be amorphous using ..
- Integrated-optic polarization controllers incorporating polymer waveguide birefringence modulatorsJun Whee Kim
School of Electrical Engineering and Graduate School of Cogno Mechatronics Engineering, Pusan National University, Pusan, Busan 609 735, South Korea
Opt Express 20:12443-8. 2012Polarization controllers based on polymer waveguide technology are demonstrated by incorporating thermo-optic birefringence modulators (BMs) and thin-film wave plates...
- Thioflavin T and birefringence assays to determine the conversion of proteins into fibrilsSuzanne G Bolder
DMV International b v, P O Box 13, 5460 BA Veghel, The Netherlands
Langmuir 23:4144-7. 2007..The results of this method were used to calibrate steady-shear birefringence and Thioflavin T fluorescence measurements...
- Polarization sensitive terahertz imaging: detection of birefringence and optical axisStefan Katletz
RECENDT GmbH, Science Park 2, Altenberger Str 69, 4040 Linz, Austria
Opt Express 20:23025-35. 2012..take advantage of the spectral information contained in a broadband terahertz pulse for the determination of birefringence and orientation of the optical axis in a glass fiber reinforced polymer with a single measurement...
- Terahertz birefringence for orientation analysisChristian Jördens
Institut für Hochfrequenztechnik, Technische Universitat Braunschweig, Schleinitzstrasse 22, 38106 Braunschweig, Germany
Appl Opt 48:2037-44. 2009..Among all samples we observe the largest birefringence for a rutile crystal with Deltan=3.3 at 1 THz.
- Fluorescence spectroscopy and birefringence of molecular changes in maturing rat tail tendonRenee M Korol
University of Western Ontario, Department of Medical Biophysics, London, Ontario N6A 5C1, Canada
J Biomed Opt 12:024011. 2007..LIF spectroscopy integrates the signal from both elastin and collagen cross-linked structure, whereas birefringence is a measure of only collagen...
- Polarized light propagation in multiply scattering media exhibiting both linear birefringence and optical activity: Monte Carlo model and experimental methodologyMichael F G Wood
Ontario Cancer Institute, Division of Biophysics and Bioimaging, University Health Network, Toronto, Ontario M5G 2M9, Canada
J Biomed Opt 12:014029. 2007..The model employs the Jones N-matrix formalism to combine both linear birefringence and optical activity into a single effect that can be applied to photons as they propagate between scattering ..
- Polarization birefringence measurements for characterizing the myocardium, including healthy, infarcted, and stem-cell-regenerated tissuesMichael F G Wood
Ontario Cancer Institute, Division of Biophysics and Bioimaging, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Biomed Opt 15:047009. 2010..As healthy myocardial tissue is highly fibrous and anisotropic, it exhibits optical linear birefringence due to the different refractive indices parallel and perpendicular to the fibers...
- Quantification of birefringence readily measures the level of muscle damage in zebrafishJoachim Berger
Australian Regenerative Medicine Institute, EMBL Australia, Monash University, Clayton, Australia
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 423:785-8. 2012..This light effect, called birefringence, results from the diffraction of polarised light through the pseudo-crystalline array of the muscle sarcomeres...
- Depth-resolved birefringence and differential optical axis orientation measurements with fiber-based polarization-sensitive optical coherence tomographyShuguang Guo
Beckman Laser Institute, Department of Biomedical Engineering, University of California, Irvine, Irvine, California 92612, USA
Opt Lett 29:2025-7. 2004..A new algorithm that takes into account changes in the optical axis is introduced to provide depth-resolved birefringence and differential optical axis orientation images by use of fiber-based PS-OCT...
- Longitudinal measurement variability of corneal birefringence and retinal nerve fiber layer thickness in scanning laser polarimetry with variable corneal compensationThê Anh Mai
Department of Ophthalmology, University Medical Center Groningen, Hanzeplein 1, 9700 RB Groningen, The Netherlands
Arch Ophthalmol 126:1359-64. 2008To investigate the longitudinal corneal birefringence (corneal polarization axis [CPA] and corneal polarization magnitude [CPM]) variability in scanning laser polarimetry with variable corneal compensation and its effect on retinal nerve ..
- Simultaneous false-colour imaging of birefringence, extinction and transmittance at camera speedW Kaminsky
Department of Chemistry, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
J Microsc 228:153-64. 2007..technique is introduced that simultaneously captures and unfolds transmittance, fast/slow axes directions and birefringence or linear dichroism from single camera exposures...
- Generalized Jones matrix optical coherence tomography: performance and local birefringence imagingShuichi Makita
Computational Optics Group in University of Tsukuba, Tsukuba, Ibaraki, Japan
Opt Express 18:854-76. 2010Phase retardation imaging including local birefringence imaging of biological tissues is described by generalized Jones-matrix optical coherence tomography...
- Retinal nerve fiber layer birefringence evaluated with polarization sensitive spectral domain OCT and scanning laser polarimetry: a comparisonE Gotzinger
Center for Biomedical Engineering and Physics, Medical University of Vienna, Austria
J Biophotonics 1:129-39. 2008..spectral domain optical coherence tomography (PS-SD-OCT) system is used to measure phase retardation and birefringence of the human retinal nerve fiber layer (RNFL) in vivo...
- In vivo birefringence and thickness measurements of the human retinal nerve fiber layer using polarization-sensitive optical coherence tomographyBarry Cense
Wellman Laboratories of Photomedicine, Harvard Medical School and Massachusetts General Hospital, 50 Blossom Street BAR 714, Boston, MA 02114, USA
J Biomed Opt 9:121-5. 2004Glaucoma causes damage of the nerve fiber layer, which may cause loss of retinal birefringence. Therefore, PS-OCT is a potentially useful technique for the early detection of glaucoma...
- The 2,6-disubstituted naphthalene derivative FDDNP labeling reliably predicts Congo red birefringence of protein deposits in brain sections of selected human neurodegenerative diseasesLojze M Smid
Laboratory for Neural Plasticity and Regeneration, Institute of Pathophysiology, University of Ljubljana, Ljubljana, Slovenia
Brain Pathol 16:124-30. 2006..FDDNP labeling showed high positive predictive value for birefringence in senile plaques and NFTs in AD, prion plaques and amyloid deposits in CAA...
- Microstructural mechanics of collagen gels in confined compression: poroelasticity, viscoelasticity, and collapsePreethi L Chandran
Department of Biomedical Engineering, University of Minnesota, 312 Church St SE, Minneapolis, MN 55455, USA
J Biomech Eng 126:152-66. 2004..Collagen gels are important as platforms for in vitro study of cell behavior and as prototypical bioartificial tissues, but their mechanical behavior, particularly on the microscopic scale, is still poorly understood...
- Influence of birefringence on polarization resolved nonlinear microscopy and collagen SHG structural imagingSophie Brasselet
Institut Fresnel, CNRS, Aix Marseille Universite, Ecole Centrale Marseille, Campus de St Jérôme, 13013 Marseille, France MOSAIC
Opt Express 18:14859-70. 2010..We show in particular the detrimental influence of birefringence on Second Harmonic Generation (SHG) and Two-Photon Excited Fluorescence (TPEF) polarization resolved ..
- Thickness and birefringence of healthy retinal nerve fiber layer tissue measured with polarization-sensitive optical coherence tomographyBarry Cense
Harvard Medical School and Wellman Center of Photomedicine, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, 02114, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 45:2606-12. 2004Thinning of the retinal nerve fiber layer and changes in retinal nerve fiber layer (RNFL) birefringence may both precede clinically detectable glaucomatous vision loss...
- Techniques for fast and sensitive measurements of two-dimensional birefringence distributionsMichael Shribak
Marine Biological Laboratory, Woods Hole, Massachusetts 02543 1015, USA
Appl Opt 42:3009-17. 2003We propose image processing algorithms for measuring two-dimensional distributions of linear birefringence using a pair of variable retarders...
- Measurement and imaging of birefringent properties of the human cornea with phase-resolved, polarization-sensitive optical coherence tomographyErich Gotzinger
Department of Medical Physics, University of Vienna, Wahringer Strasse 13, A 1090 Vienna, Austria
J Biomed Opt 9:94-102. 2004..Knowledge of the retardation and the slow axis distribution of the cornea might improve nerve fiber polarimetry for glaucoma diagnostics and could be useful for diagnosing different types of pathologies of the cornea...
- Spatial distribution of macular birefringence associated with the Henle fibersAnn E Elsner
School of Optometry, Indiana University, 800 East Atwater, Bloomington, IN 47405, USA
Vision Res 48:2578-85. 2008The spatial distribution of macular birefringence was modeled to examine the contribution from the foveal Henle fiber layer, particularly cone axons. The model was tested in 20 normal subjects, age 17-55yr...
- Birefringence and DNA condensation of liquid crystalline chromosomesMan H Chow
Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, Kowloon, Hong Kong
Eukaryot Cell 9:1577-87. 2010..measurements using a semiautomatic polarizing microscope demonstrated that there is a large variation in the birefringence, an optical property of anisotropic materials, of the chromosomes from different dinoflagellate species, ..
- Modeling optical behavior of birefringent biological tissues for evaluation of quantitative polarized light microscopyMark C van Turnhout
Wageningen University, Department of Animal Sciences, Experimental Zoology Group, P O Box 338, Wageningen, 6700 AH, The Netherlands
J Biomed Opt 14:054018. 2009..Because collagen fiber orientation and anisotropy are important for tissue function, these results can improve the biological and medical relevance of qPLM results...
- Meiotic spindle and zona pellucida characteristics as predictors of embryonic development: a preliminary study using PolScope imagingG A Rama Raju
Embryology Division, Krishna IVF Clinic, Zillaparishad Junction, Visakhapatnam, Pincode 530 002, Andhra Pradesh, India
Reprod Biomed Online 14:166-74. 2007..Quantitative measurement of length and retardance of the meiotic spindle and zona pellucida has a positive predictive value in relation to embryonic development...
- Birefringence of the primate retinal nerve fiber layerH Grady Rylander
The Biomedical Engineering Laser Laboratories, Department of Biomedical Engineering, The University of Texas at Austin, 1 University Station C0800, Austin, TX 78712, USA
Exp Eye Res 81:81-9. 2005..the peripapillary retinal nerve fiber layer (RNFL) thickness, phase retardation (PR), and depth-resolved birefringence (Deltan) of the normal primate eye using Enhanced Polarization-Sensitivity Optical Coherence Tomography (EPS-..
- The effect of atypical birefringence patterns on glaucoma detection using scanning laser polarimetry with variable corneal compensationChristopher Bowd
Hamilton Glaucoma Center, Department of Ophthalmology, University of California at San Diego, La Jolla, California 92093, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 48:223-7. 2007The purpose of this study was to investigate the effect of the presence of atypical birefringence patterns, as measured by the typical scan score (TSS), on the diagnostic accuracy of a scanning laser polarimeter (the GDx VCC; Carl Zeiss ..
- The relationship between retinal ganglion cell axon constituents and retinal nerve fiber layer birefringence in the primateGinger M Pocock
Biomedical Engineering Laser Laboratories, Department of Biomedical Engineering, The University of Texas at Austin, Austin, Texas 78712, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 50:5238-46. 2009To determine the degree of correlation between spatial characteristics of the retinal nerve fiber layer (RNFL) birefringence (Delta n(RNFL)) surrounding the optic nerve head (ONH) with the corresponding anatomy of retinal ganglion cell (..
- Corneal birefringence compensation for polarization sensitive optical coherence tomography of the human retinaMichael Pircher
Medical University of Vienna, Center for Biomedical Engineering and Physics, Wahringer Strasse 13, A 1090 Vienna, Austria
J Biomed Opt 12:041210. 2007..To obtain undistorted birefringence patterns of the retina by PS-OCT, the corneal birefringence has to be compensated...
- Intravitreal colchicine causes decreased RNFL birefringence without altering RNFL thicknessBrad Fortune
Devers Eye Institute, Legacy Health System, 1225 NE Second Avenue, Portland, OR 97232, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 49:255-61. 2008To test the hypothesis that longitudinal differences between retinal nerve fiber layer (RNFL) birefringence, measured by scanning laser polarimetry (SLP), and RNFL thickness, measured by optical coherence tomography (OCT), are ..
- Variation of peripapillary retinal nerve fiber layer birefringence in normal human subjectsXiang Run Huang
Bascom Palmer Eye Institute, University of Miami School of Medicine, Miami, Florida 33136, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 45:3073-80. 2004The retinal nerve fiber layer (RNFL) exhibits linear birefringence due to the oriented cylindrical structure of ganglion cell axons. The birefringence (Deltan) depends on the density and composition of axonal organelles...
- PMD fundamentals: polarization mode dispersion in optical fibersJ P Gordon
Crawford Hill Laboratory, Bell Laboratories, Lucent Technologies, Box 400, Holmdel, NJ 07733, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 97:4541-50. 2000..The discussion includes the relation between Jones vectors and Stokes vectors, rotation matrices, the definition and representation of PMD vectors, the laws of infinitesimal rotation, and the rules for PMD vector concatenation...
- Relationship between DNA damage and sperm head birefringenceC G Petersen
Center for Human Reproduction Prof Franco Junior, Ribeirao Preto, Brazil
Reprod Biomed Online 22:583-9. 2011b>Birefringence or double refraction is the decomposition of a ray of light into two rays when it passes through an anisotropic material such as quartz. Sperm cells have been demonstrated to be optically anisotropic...
- Linear birefringence of the central human corneaRobert W Knighton
Bascom Palmer Eye Institute, University of Miami School of Medicine, Miami, Florida 33101, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 43:82-6. 2002..To determine the polarization properties of the central cornea at perpendicular incidence in a normal human population on the assumption that the cornea behaves as a linear retarder...
- Autocalibration of spectral-domain optical coherence tomography spectrometers for in vivo quantitative retinal nerve fiber layer birefringence determinationMircea Mujat
Harvard Medical School and Wellman Center for Photomedicine, Massachusetts General Hospital, 40 Blossom Street, BAR 704, Boston, Massachusetts 02114, USA
J Biomed Opt 12:041205. 2007..Removal of the birefringence artifact is demonstrated in a PS-OCT system with picometer accuracy in the relative wavelength assignment, ..
- Mathematical modeling of retinal birefringence scanningD G Hunter
Zanvyl Krieger Children s Eye Center, Wilmer Institute, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21287 9028, USA
J Opt Soc Am A Opt Image Sci Vis 16:2103-11. 1999Retinal birefringence scanning (RBS) is a new technique that is used to detect the fixation of the eye remotely and noninvasively. The method is based on analysis of polarization changes induced by the retina...
- Automated detection of ocular alignment with binocular retinal birefringence scanningDavid G Hunter
Zanvyl Krieger Children s Eye Center at the Wilmer Institute, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21287, USA
Appl Opt 42:3047-53. 2003..All nonstrabismic subjects with good quality signals had binocularity >75%. Binocularity averaged 5% in four subjects with strabismus (range of 0-20%). BRBS may potentially be used to screen individuals for abnormal eye alignment...
- Full-range polarization-sensitive swept-source optical coherence tomography by simultaneous transversal and spectral modulationMasahiro Yamanari
Computational Optics Group in the University of Tsukuba, Tsukuba, Ibaraki, Japan
Opt Express 18:13964-80. 2010..4 microm in tissue. Full-range polarization-sensitive retinal images showed characteristic birefringence of fibrous tissues such as retinal nerve fiber, sclera, and lamina cribrosa.
- Zona pellucida birefringence in in vivo and in vitro matured oocytesDaniela Paes de Almeida Ferreira Braga
Fertility Assisted Fertilization Center, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Fertil Steril 94:2050-3. 2010To evaluate zona pellucida birefringence (ZPB) in immature and mature oocytes collected after controlled ovarian stimulation and to assess the influence of ZPB on oocyte development.
- Birefringence characteristics in sperm heads allow for the selection of reacted spermatozoa for intracytoplasmic sperm injectionLuca Gianaroli
Reproductive Medicine Unit, Italian Society for the Study of Reproductive Medicine, Via Mazzini 12, 40128 Bologna, Italy
Fertil Steril 93:807-13. 2010..To verify clinical outcome after injection of spermatozoa that have undergone the acrosome reaction (reacted spermatozoa) vs. those still having an intact acrosome (nonreacted spermatozoa)...
- Zona pellucida birefringence score and meiotic spindle visualization in relation to embryo development and ICSI outcomesCamila Madaschi
Fertility Assisted Fertilization Centre, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Reprod Biomed Online 18:681-6. 2009..This study aimed to investigate possible factors contributing to the zona pellucida birefringence score and meiotic spindle visualization, and to evaluate whether these structures may predict intracytoplasmic ..
- Symposium: innovative techniques in human embryo viability assessment. Oocyte assessment and embryo viability prediction: birefringence imagingM Montag
Department of Gynecological Endocrinology and Reproductive Medicine, University of Bonn, 53127 Bonn, Germany
Reprod Biomed Online 17:454-60. 2008..systems in assisted reproduction has enabled the detection of structures within oocytes that possess a natural birefringence. Birefringence imaging of the meiotic spindle and the zona pellucida in living animal and human oocytes ..
- Corneal birefringence mapped by scanning laser polarimetryRobert W Knighton
Bascom Palmer Eye Institute, University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, 1638 NW Tenth Avenue, Miami, FL 33136, USA
Opt Express 16:13738-51. 2008Corneal birefringence affects polarization-sensitive optical measurements of the eye...
- Polarization-maintaining fiber-based optical low-coherence reflectometer for characterization and ranging of birefringenceDigant P Dave
Department of Biomedical Engineering, University of Texas at Austin, Austin, Texas 78712, USA
Opt Lett 28:1775-7. 2003..fiber-based polarization-sensitive optical low-coherence reflectometer for measurement of depth-resolved birefringence. Unlike for other fiber-based polarization-sensitive optical low-coherence reflectometers, here the linear ..
- Birefringence-based eye fixation monitor with no moving partsB I Gramatikov
Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Wilmer Ophthalmological Institute, The Krieger Children s Eye Center, Baltimore, Maryland 21287 9028, USA
J Biomed Opt 11:34025. 2006..The algorithm is tested on a computer model, and the apparatus is tested on human subjects. This work demonstrates the feasibility of a fixation monitor with no moving parts...
- Enhanced imaging algorithm for scanning laser polarimetry with variable corneal compensationNicolaas J Reus
Glaucoma Service, The Rotterdam Eye Hospital, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 47:3870-7. 2006..To describe and investigate a method of improving assessment of retinal nerve fiber layer (RNFL) morphology with scanning laser polarimetry (SLP) with variable corneal compensation (VCC)...
- Giant birefringence in multi-slotted silicon nanophotonic waveguidesShun Hui Yang
Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, University of California, San Diego, Gilman Drive, La Jolla, California 92093 0407, USA
Opt Express 16:8306-16. 2008We demonstrate record giant birefringence, nearly twice as large as has previously been achieved (Delta n(group) = 1.5 over more than 60 nm of bandwidth near lambda= 1550 nm) using a multi-slotted silicon nanophotonic waveguide...
- Comparison between GDx VCC scanning laser polarimetry and Stratus OCT optical coherence tomography in the diagnosis of chronic glaucomaPaolo Brusini
Department of Ophthalmology, Santa Maria della Misericordia Hospital, Udine, Italy
Acta Ophthalmol Scand 84:650-5. 2006....
- An enhancement module to improve the atypical birefringence pattern using scanning laser polarimetry with variable corneal compensationM Sehi
PhD, Bascom Palmer Eye Institute, 7108 Fairway Drive, Suite 340, Palm Beach Gardens, FL 33418, USA
Br J Ophthalmol 90:749-53. 2006To examine the repeatability and effect of an enhancement module on the severity of atypical birefringence patterns (ABP) using scanning laser polarimetery (SLP) with variable corneal compensation (VCC).
- Evaluation of enhanced corneal compensation in scanning laser polarimetry: comparison with variable corneal compensation on human eyes undergoing LASIKMarta Toth
Department of Ophthalmology Semmelweis University, Budapest
J Glaucoma 15:53-9. 2006..To investigate the potential advantages of an enhanced corneal compensation algorithm (ECC) compared with variable corneal compensation (VCC), in scanning laser polarimetry...
- Structure-function relationship is stronger with enhanced corneal compensation than with variable corneal compensation in scanning laser polarimetryThê Anh Mai
The Rotterdam Eye Hospital, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 48:1651-8. 2007..Dublin, CA), and visual field (VF) sensitivity, measured with standard automated perimetry (SAP) in normal and glaucomatous eyes and the effect of marked atypical birefringence patterns (ABPs) on this relationship.
- Effect of posterior capsular opacification removal on scanning laser polarimetry measurementsJose Javier Garcia-Medina
Ophthalmology Research Unit Santiago Grisolia Department of Ophthalmology, University Hospital Doctor Peset, Avenida Gaspar Aguilar, 90, 46017 Valencia, Spain
Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol 244:1398-405. 2006..To evaluate the effect of posterior capsular opacification (PCO) on retinal nerve fiber layer (RNFL) retardation measurements obtained during scanning laser polarimetry (SLP). We are unaware of previous studies undertaken in this sense...
- The influence of posterior capsular opacification removal on anterior segment birefringence parameters as measured by scanning laser polarimetryJose J Garcia-Medina
Ophthalmology Research Unit Santiago Grisolia, Department of Ophthalmology, Doctor Peset University Hospital, Valencia, Spain
Clin Experiment Ophthalmol 35:414-20. 2007To determine the effect of posterior capsular opacification (PCO) removal on anterior segment birefringence (ASB) and its influence on peripapillary retinal nerve fibre layer (RNFL) retardation measurements obtained by means of scanning ..
- Small-angle light scattering and birefringence properties of chick corneaR L McCally
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory, Laurel, Maryland 20723, USA
J Refract Surg 15:706-10. 1999..The chick cornea, because of its hypothesized structure of a gradual helical rotation of lamellar pairs, presents an interesting model for further development of this methodology...
- Scanning laser polarimetry using variable corneal compensation in the detection of glaucoma with localized visual field defectsMichael S Kook
Department of Ophthalmology, Asan Medical Center, College of Medicine, University of Ulsan, Seoul, Korea
Ophthalmology 112:1970-8. 2005..To evaluate the ability of scanning laser polarimetry parameters and a novel deviation map algorithm to discriminate between healthy and early glaucomatous eyes with localized visual field (VF) defects confined to one hemifield...
- Relationships between standard automated perimetry, HRT confocal scanning laser ophthalmoscopy, and GDx VCC scanning laser polarimetryNicolaas J Reus
Glaucoma Service, The Rotterdam Eye Hospital, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 46:4182-8. 2005....
- Imaging linear birefringence and dichroism in cerebral amyloid pathologiesLee Way Jin
Departments of Chemistry and Pathology, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 100:15294-8. 2003..The rotating-polarizer method was used to separate the optical effects of transmission, linear birefringence, extinction, linear dichroism, and orientation of the electric dipole transition moments and to display them ..
- Association between scanning laser polarimetry measurements using variable corneal polarization compensation and visual field sensitivity in glaucomatous eyesChristopher Bowd
Hamilton Glaucoma Center, Department of Ophthalmology, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla 92093 0946, USA
Arch Ophthalmol 121:961-6. 2003....
- Visualization of localized retinal nerve fiber layer defects with the GDx with individualized and with fixed compensation of anterior segment birefringenceNicolaas J Reus
The Rotterdam Eye Hospital, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Ophthalmology 110:1512-6. 2003..of localized retinal nerve fiber layer (RNFL) defects in GDx images with fixed and with individualized compensation of anterior segment birefringence (FC and IC, respectively) with their visualization in red-free fundus photographs.
- Oocyte zona birefringence intensity is associated with embryonic implantation potential in ICSI cyclesM Montag
Department of Gynecological Endocrinology and Reproductive Medicine, University of Bonn, Sigmund Freud Str 25, D 53127 Bonn, Germany
Reprod Biomed Online 16:239-44. 2008A retrospective study recently showed that oocytes presenting with a high birefringence of the inner zona layer were more often associated with conception cycles...
- Operator learning effect and interoperator reproducibility of the scanning laser polarimeter with variable corneal compensationShahar Frenkel
Department of Ophthalmology, Hebrew University Hadassah Medical Center, Jerusalem, Israel
Ophthalmology 112:257-61. 2005..To ascertain operator learning effect, and to quantify the interoperator reproducibility, using the newly introduced GDx VCC (variable corneal compensator) scanning laser polarimeter...
- Linear birefringence of the retinal nerve fiber layer measured in vitro with a multispectral imaging micropolarimeterXiang Run Huang
University of Miami School of Medicine, Bascom Palmer Eye Institute, Miami, Florida 33136, USA
J Biomed Opt 7:199-204. 2002..laser polarimetry (SLP) assesses the retinal nerve fiber layer (RNFL) for glaucoma diagnosis by detecting the birefringence of the peripapillary RNFL...
- Relative course of retinal nerve fiber layer birefringence and thickness and retinal function changes after optic nerve transectionBrad Fortune
Discoveries in Sight Research Laboratories, Devers Eye Institute, LegacyHealth System, Portland, Oregon 97232, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 49:4444-52. 2008To test the hypothesis that alterations of RNFL birefringence precede changes in RNFL thickness in an experimental model of RGC injury and, secondarily, to determine the time course of RGC functional abnormalities relative to RNFL ..
- Glaucoma detection using scanning laser polarimetry with variable corneal polarization compensationRobert N Weinreb
Hamilton Glaucoma Center, University of California San Diego, 9500 Gilman Drive, La Jolla, CA 92093 0946, USA
Arch Ophthalmol 121:218-24. 2003....
- Effect of peripapillary chorioretinal atrophy on GDx parametersin patients with degenerative myopiaBanu Bozkurt
Department of Ophthalmology, Hacettepe University School of Medicine, Ankara, Turkey
Clin Experiment Ophthalmol 30:411-4. 2002..To determine the effect of peripapillary chorioretinal atrophy in degenerative myopia on the retinal nerve fibre layer (RNFL) thickness measurements performed by scanning laser polarimetry...
- Influence of cataract surgery with implantation of different intraocular lenses on scanning laser tomography and polarimetryStephan Kremmer
University Eye Hospital, Essen, Germany
Am J Ophthalmol 136:1016-21. 2003....
- Individualized compensation of anterior segment birefringence during scanning laser polarimetryQienyuan Zhou
Laser Diagnostic Technologies, Inc, San Diego, California, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 43:2221-8. 2002To describe a method for assessment and individualized compensation of anterior segment birefringence with scanning laser polarimetry.
- Age matters: collagen birefringence of superficial articular cartilage is increased in young guinea-pigs but decreased in older animals after identical physiological type of joint loadingM M Hyttinen
Department of Anatomy, University of Kuopio, Finland
Osteoarthritis Cartilage 9:694-701. 2001..CONCLUSIONS: Increased birefringence of the superficial articular cartilage after joint loading in young guinea-pigs can be interpreted to be a ..
- Measurements of the corneal birefringence with a liquid-crystal imaging polariscopeJuan M Bueno
Laboratorio de Optica, Departament de Fisica, Universidad de Murcia, Spain
Appl Opt 41:116-24. 2002..Left-right eye symmetry in retardation was also found. Maps of azimuth indicate that the direction of the corneal slow axis is nasally downward...
- Development of a real-time corneal birefringence compensated glucose sensing polarimeterBrent D Cameron
Department of Bioengineering, University of Toledo, Toledo, Ohio 43606 3390, USA
Diabetes Technol Ther 8:156-64. 2006..To date, the main factor limiting in vivo polarimetric glucose measurements is corneal birefringence, which tends to mask the glucose signature...
- Dual-wavelength polarimetry for monitoring glucose in the presence of varying birefringenceQiujie Wan
Texas A and M University, Biomedical Engineering, Mail Stop 3120, College Station, Texas 77843, USA
J Biomed Opt 10:024029. 2005..glucose levels using the aqueous humor of the eye, a dual-wavelength system is developed to show that varying birefringence, similar to what is seen with a moving cornea, can be compensated...
- Modeling the corneal birefringence of the eye toward the development of a polarimetric glucose sensorBilal H Malik
Texas A and M University, Department of Biomedical Engineering, 337 Zachry Engineering Center, 3120 TAMU, College Station, Texas 77843 3120, USA
J Biomed Opt 15:037012. 2010..has promise, but the realization of such an approach has been limited by noise from time-varying corneal birefringence due to motion artifact...
- Effect of temperature, pH, and corneal birefringence on polarimetric glucose monitoring in the eyeJustin S Baba
Texas A and M University, Biomedical Engineering Program, College Station, Texas 77843 3120, USA
J Biomed Opt 7:321-8. 2002..method for noninvasive glucose monitoring, summarize our work toward this endeavor, and then report on our latest research, namely, the effect of temperature, pH, and corneal birefringence on our polarimetric glucose monitoring system.
- Quantitative assessment of atypical birefringence images using scanning laser polarimetry with variable corneal compensationHarmohina Bagga
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Miami School of Medicine, Bascom Palmer Eye Institute, Miami, Florida, USA
Am J Ophthalmol 139:437-46. 2005To define the clinical characteristics of atypical birefringence images and to describe a quantitative method for their identification.
- Biochemical, Biomechanical & Morphological Properties of Quantitative UltrasoundBarbara L McFarlin; Fiscal Year: 2010..in the rat cervix as ripening occurs, with cervix tissue biochemical (collagen and water), biostructural (birefringence, histology, 3-D impedance map) biomechanical (stress-strain) properties. Aim 2...
- Functional Amyloid Formation in Streptococcus mutansL Jeannine Brady; Fiscal Year: 2013..amyloid formation is not limited to P1, as bacterial colonies without this adhesin demonstrate residual green birefringence. However, S...
- Drosophila model of oxalate nephrolithiasisMichael F Romero; Fiscal Year: 2013..model by (a) a detailed comparison of dPrestin v mouse Slc26a6 transport activity (Xenopus oocytes), (b) using birefringence, eYFP-Cl-sensing and microCT with gut- or tubule-specific dPrestin knockdown, (c) using SILAC (stable isotope ..
- Glucose monitoring using polarized lightGerard L Cote; Fiscal Year: 2010..are two specific aims proposed in this research: 1) to design, build, and test a system to reduce corneal birefringence artifacts due to eye motion and elucidate glucose concentration in the presence of other optically active ..
- Novel Technology for Screening Receptor and Compound Libraries in Drug DiscoveryDaniel B Hall; Fiscal Year: 2012..This technology is based on assaying magnetic birefringence relaxation of nanoparticles and will be particularly designed for screening nociceptin receptor and ..
- Ophthalmic Imaging Using Adaptive Optics and OCTJohn S Werner; Fiscal Year: 2012..engineering goals are directed toward increasing contrast of cellular structures by use of autofluoresence, birefringence, the incorporation of "extreme AO" techniques, and functional changes associated with blood perfusion, ..
- Axonal cytoskeletal changes in experimental glaucomaBrad Fortune; Fiscal Year: 2012..of SLP is based on detecting phase retardance of polarized light, which is due to the optical property birefringence produced in the RNFL by the long, thin cylindrical MTs...
- Orientation independent DIC and polarization microscopyMichael Shribak; Fiscal Year: 2011..images of thin optical sections of the specimen: distribution of optical path gradients and distribution of birefringence due to structural or internal anisotropy of the cell structure...
- Pediatric Vision Scanner for the Eradication of AmblyopiaJUSTIN SHAKA; Fiscal Year: 2010..by applicant): The Pediatric Vision Scanner (PVS) is a hand-held research prototype device that uses retinal birefringence scanning technology (co-invented by the PI) to diagnose the presence of amblyopia ("lazy eye") and strabismus (..
- Retinal nerve fiber layer in glaucoma: Optical properties and damage mechanismsXiangrun Huang; Fiscal Year: 2011..An animal model of glaucoma will be used to study the reflectance and birefringence of RNFL and the distribution of axonal cytoskeletal components across the retina at different stages of ..
- Near-Infrared VCD of Chiral PharmaceuticalsLaurence Nafie; Fiscal Year: 2004..methods developed recently by the principal investigator to automatically correct CD baselines, will suppress birefringence effects in all solid samples, thus eliminating many problems of reproducibility in solid-phase CD sampling...
- CONTROL OF CELL FUNCTION VIA SELECTIVE MRNA TRANSLATIONLee Gehrke; Fiscal Year: 2002..A sensitive technique, transient electric birefringence, will be used to characterize the conformational change by determining interhelical angles...
- Angle-resolved polarization signal imaging of early receptor potentialXINCHENG YAO; Fiscal Year: 2012..Previous investigations have demonstrated the existence of polarization signal response due to ERP-associated birefringence change in isolated photoreceptor outer segments activated by visible light...
- Combined RCM and PSOCT for skin cancer imagingMircea Mujat; Fiscal Year: 2013..Furthermore, PSOCT measures skin birefringence, and thus accurately differentiates between the dermal and epidermal skin layers...
- Orientation independent DIC and polarization microscopyMichael Shribak; Fiscal Year: 2013..optical section of the specimen: distribution of refractive index gradient or dry mass and distribution of birefringence due to structural or intrinsic anisotropy...
- Fourier Domain Functional OCTZhongping Chen; Fiscal Year: 2009..and provide cross-sectional mapping of physiological relevant information such as tissue microcirculation, birefringence, and nonlinear optical properties...
- Multifocal Optical Coherence MicroscopeXINCHENG YAO; Fiscal Year: 2010..imaging capability will be added to achieve high contrast imaging of biological specimens with birefringence characteristics...
- Fourier Phase Contrast Microscopy Technique for Biomedical ResearchDEVULAPALLI V RAO; Fiscal Year: 2010..exploiting monochromaticity and phase coherence characteristics of a low power laser and photo-thermal induced birefringence of nematic liquid crystal...
- Improved Automated UrinalysisFatima Merchant; Fiscal Year: 2007..develop a technique for automated classification of the types and subtypes of casts and crystals by exploiting birefringence phenomena...
- NonInvasive Optical Imaging of Vocal Cord MicrostructureBrian Wong; Fiscal Year: 2004..on TVC microanatomy, the OCT device will provide functional images of specific tissue properties, including birefringence (collagen organization), using polarization-sensitive OCT, and microscopic blood flow, using Optical Doppler ..
- Magneto-optical Technology for Screening Receptor LibrariesGyula Varadi; Fiscal Year: 2009..RMD has demonstrated that maghemite nanoparticles, decorated with antibodies, exhibit longer magnetic birefringence relaxation times when associated with viruses and small size microorganisms...
- PHYSICAL STUDIES OF CONFORMATIONAL CHANGE IN CHROMATINRODNEY HARRINGTON; Fiscal Year: 1990..Specific investigations will include the following. I. Principal physical methods will include flow birefringence, circular dichroism and high resolution theraml denaturation...
- RETINAL BIREFRINGENCE ANALYSIS IN STRABISMUS & AMBLYOPIADavid Hunter; Fiscal Year: 2003..Our laboratory has developed a specialized form of retinal birefringence scanning (RBS), in which a small spot of polarized fight is scanned in a circle on the retina, and the ..
- Polarization microscopy for three-dimensional imaging of biological microstructurMircea Mujat; Fiscal Year: 2009..In addition to linear birefringence (the only polarization property currently investigated in microscopy) biological tissue (cells) exhibits also ..
- NIR TUNABLE LASER TISSUE WELDINGROBERT ALFANO; Fiscal Year: 2007..and elastin in ex vivo tissues as a result of welding, using Raman spectroscopy; polarized transmission (birefringence); histology; tensile strength analysis, and scanning and transmission electron microscopy; (3) Compare effects ..
- Species Level Identification of Pathogenic Viruses on a Microfluidic PlatformLOUIS STRONG; Fiscal Year: 2007..This stage will monitor the relaxation of the magneto-optical birefringence of the nanoparticles and will trigger an alarm when the birefringence relaxation rate drops off dramatically...
- CARTILAGE MECHANICS IN SMALL ANIMAL MODELS OF OALori Setton; Fiscal Year: 2003..be quantified using an osmotic loading method, and collagen fiber orientation will be measured using optical birefringence. Cartilage compressive properties will be quantified with indentation tests and negative fixed charge density ..
- Identifying Pathogenic Viruses on Microfluidic PlatformLOUIS STRONG; Fiscal Year: 2003..This stage will monitor the relaxation of their magneto-optical birefringence and will trigger an alarm when the birefringence relaxation rate drops off dramatically...
- Optical Coherence Domain Reflectometry in Brain ProbesAli Rezai; Fiscal Year: 2004..types using a dual-wavelength OCDR system that measures tissue reflectivity, attenuation, hydration, and birefringence. Aim 3: Detect blood vessels by Doppler shift and broadening of OCDR spectrum...
- MORPHOLOGY-BASED RATING OF EGG DEVELOPMENT POTENTIALClifford Hoyt; Fiscal Year: 2000..b>Birefringence imaging with the PolScope microscope reveals the meiotic spindle non-invasively by measuring birefringent ..
- Low-cost digital x-ray detectors using liquid crystalsJohn Rowlands; Fiscal Year: 2007..based on the use of a-Se (amorphous-selenium) and a TN (twisted nematic) and ECB (electrically controlled birefringence) liquid crystal cells and develop a theoretical model that can predict the behavior precisely, (2) to design ..
- STRUCTURAL BASES FOR OPTICAL PROPERTIES OF CORNEASRUSSELL MCCALLY; Fiscal Year: 2004..or haze seen in corneas that are edematous or have certain dystrophies; 2) Relate the optical properties of birefringence and small-angle polarized light scattering (SALS) in normal corneas and corneas with certain dystrophies to ..
- ADVANCED OPTICAL IMAGE PROBE FOR NEUROPHYSIOLOGYDavid Rector; Fiscal Year: 2009..To accomplish this aim we will pursue 3 specific aims. First, we will test the hypothesis that confocal birefringence illumination will enhance the faster optical signals over the slower hemodynamic components traditionally seen ..
- PROTEIN NUCLEIC ACID INTERACTIONSPaul Hagerman; Fiscal Year: 2002..acid binding proteins; (iii) further development of two solution-based methods, namely, transient electric birefringence (TEB) and luminescence resonance energy transfer (LRET), for studying the long-range conformations of nucleic ..
- Real-time PolScope microscope for live-cell imagingRichard Levenson; Fiscal Year: 2006..of the molecular architecture in living cells, in whole organisms and in cell-free model systems through birefringence imaging, a powerful and quantitative new imaging contrast technique...
- PHOTOLYSIS STUDIES OF SICKLE HEMOGLOBIN POLYMERIZATIONFrank Ferrone; Fiscal Year: 1993..The resulting spatial and temporal growth is monitored by light scattering, birefringence intensity, absorption or fluorescence.
- Snapshot Retinal Imaging PolarimeterJames Schwiegerling; Fiscal Year: 2007..Imaging polarimetry provides an in vivo and quantitative assessment of the RNFL. Due to the birefringence of the RNFL, the polarization of illuminating laser light is altered after scattering from the RNFL...
- DYNAMICS AND ELASTICITY OF MYOSINSStefan Highsmith; Fiscal Year: 1992..Segmental motion and elastic distortion will be measured primarily by the method of transient electrical birefringence, using greatly improved modern instrumentation...
- DNA SOLUTION STRUCTURESDON EDEN; Fiscal Year: 1990..Therefore the technique of transient electric birefringence will be used to determine the rotational and internal bending dynamics of DNA fragments of known sequence with ..
- MEMBRANE ELECTRICAL PROPERTIES OF VASCULAR MUSCLER Hermsmeyer; Fiscal Year: 1992..Intracellular Ca++ will be quantitated and localized by the birefringence signal intrinsic to the cells and by intracellular Ca++ indicators that will be introduced into the cells via ..
- STRUCTURE OF RIBONUCLEIC ACIDSStephen Harvey; Fiscal Year: 2005..The tmRNA research will include studies of the molecule free in solution, using transient electric birefringence and molecular modeling, along with cryo-EM investigations of tmRNA structure / function relationships on the ..
- MORPHOLOGY-BASED RATING OF EGG DEVELOPMENT POTENTIALClifford Hoyt; Fiscal Year: 2006..can improve IVF techniques, and proposes to apply to this task a new type of microscope that measures birefringence, an optical property exhibited in many cellular structural elements...
- BIOPHYSICAL STUDIES OF OLIGOPURINE TRACTSMichael Behe; Fiscal Year: 1993..Collaborative transient electric birefringence studies, measuring the bending stiffness of the synthetic polymers, will then be performed and correlated to ..
- POLARIZATION SENSITIVE RETINAL TOMOGRAPHY FOR GLACOMAH Rylander; Fiscal Year: 2001..The underlying hypothesis for the proposed research is that in glaucomatous eyes optical birefringence of the retinal nerve fiber layer (NFL) displays a characteristic decrease with development and progression of ..
- THE STRUCTURAL BASIS OF CELLULAR FUNCTIONFRANCIS CARLSON; Fiscal Year: 1991..The birefringence properties of striated muscle will be determined under a variety of experimental conditions in which the ..
- Optical Detection of Neural ActivityTaner Akkin; Fiscal Year: 2007..The retardation is the product of birefringence (an optical property) and thickness, (ii) The non-contact measurements revealed nanometer scale swelling and ..
- ELASTIC ARTERY DEVELOPMENT AND CONGENITAL HEART DEFECTSThomas Rosenquist; Fiscal Year: 1992..The alignment of the elastic matrix will be determined by measurement of induced birefringence. Functional capacity of the vessels will be determined by measurement of their active and passive length=..
- GAP JUNCTIONAL COMMUNICATIONS IN WOUND HEALINGH Ehrlich; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- Optical detection of neural activity with phase sensitive interferometryBORIS PARK; Fiscal Year: 2008..Park to combine expertise in physics and biomedical optics with neuroscience, substantially adding to his capabilities as an independent researcher. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Mechanisms of myometrial healing and regenerationCatalin Buhimschi; Fiscal Year: 2006....
- RETINAL NERVE FIBER LAYER REFLECTANCE MECHANISMSXiangrun Huang; Fiscal Year: 2007..The identities of the cylinders and the mechanism for RNFL birefringence will be determined...
- Quantitative molecular imaging in articular cartilageYang Xia; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- DEVELOPMENT OF AUTOMATED POLARIZED HIGHT MICROSCOPERudolf Oldenbourg; Fiscal Year: 2001..computer driven liquid crystal devices, to measure the birefringent fine structure for all orientations of the birefringence axis within the plane of focus...
- DEVELOPMENT OF A TREATMENT FOR OSTEOGENESIS IMPERFECTAR Martin; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..
- Low-Cost Device for Digital Retinal ImagingANN ELSNER; Fiscal Year: 2007..We will investigate the key features considered necessary for early detection grading, and also more the serious damage that is typically discovered late in the rural and urban underserved. ..
- Low-Cost Device for Digital Retinal ImagingAnn E Elsner; Fiscal Year: 2010..While this project focuses on diabetic retinopathy in humans, future applications include other retinal disorders in both humans and animal models. ..
- 3-D Image Restoration for Polarized Light MicroscopyRudolf Oldenbourg; Fiscal Year: 2003..02 nm birefringence retardation), high resolution (0...
- 3-D Image Restoration for Polarized Light MicroscopyRudolf Oldenbourg; Fiscal Year: 2002..02 nm birefringence retardation), high resolution (0...
- Smart Optical Probe for Guidance of Fine Needle BiopsyNicusor Iftimia; Fiscal Year: 2006..It is evident that earlier diagnosis results in an improved outcome and reduced mortality from disease. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Dialysis Access Consortium Clinical TrialsLAURA DEMBER; Fiscal Year: 2006....