Genomes and Genes
Summary: Devices for accelerating protons or electrons in closed orbits where the accelerating voltage and magnetic field strength varies (the accelerating voltage is held constant for electrons) in order to keep the orbit radius constant.
Publications263 found, 100 shown here
- Diffraction enhanced x-ray imagingD Chapman
CSRRI, Illinois Institute of Technology, Chicago 60616, USA
Phys Med Biol 42:2015-25. 1997..This imaging method may improve image quality for medical applications, industrial radiography for non-destructive testing and x-ray computed tomography...
- Multimodal imaging of human cerebellum - merging X-ray phase microtomography, magnetic resonance microscopy and histologyGeorg Schulz
Biomaterials Science Center, University of Basel, Basel, Switzerland
Sci Rep 2:826. 2012..The registered data with their complementary information permit the distinct segmentation of tissues within the human cerebellum...
- High-resolution visualization of airspace structures in intact mice via synchrotron phase-contrast X-ray imaging (PCXI)David W Parsons
Department of Pulmonary Medicine, Women s and Children s Hospital, 72 King William Road, North Adelaide, South Australia
J Anat 213:217-27. 2008..The coupling of phase-contrast synchrotron X-ray imaging technology with software-based reconstruction techniques holds promise for novel and high-resolution non-invasive examination of airspace anatomy in small animal models...
- Derivation of elastic stiffness from site-matched mineral density and acoustic impedance mapsKay Raum
Laboratoire d Imagerie Parametrique, CNRS Universite Paris 6, UMR 762315, rue de l Ecole de Medecine, 75006 Paris, France
Phys Med Biol 51:747-58. 2006..8 and 75.4 GPa, respectively. Although SAM inspection is limited to the evaluation of carefully prepared sample surfaces, it provides a two-dimensional quantitative estimate of elastic tissue properties at the tissue level...
- Synchrotron UV fluorescence microscopy uncovers new probes in cells and tissuesFrederic Jamme
Synchrotron SOLEIL, L Orme des Merisiers, 91192 Gif sur Yvette, France
Microsc Microanal 16:507-14. 2010....
- Developmental alveolarization of the mouse lungSonja I Mund
Institute of Anatomy, University of Bern, Switzerland
Dev Dyn 237:2108-16. 2008..We conclude that alveolarization continues until young adulthood and that the maturation of the alveolar microvasculature does not preclude further alveolarization...
- New insights into globoids of protein storage vacuoles in wheat aleurone using synchrotron soft X-ray microscopyMarjana Regvar
University of Ljubljana, Jamnikarjeva 101, Ljubljana, Slovenia
J Exp Bot 62:3929-39. 2011....
- Effects of pulsed, spatially fractionated, microscopic synchrotron X-ray beams on normal and tumoral brain tissueE Brauer-Krisch
European Synchrotron Radiation Facility, B P 220, 38043 Grenoble, France
Mutat Res 704:160-6. 2010..Details on experimental and theoretical dosimetry of microbeams, core issues and possible therapeutic applications of MRT are presented...
- Synchrotron radiation circular dichroism spectroscopy-defined structure of the C-terminal domain of NaChBac and its role in channel assemblyAndrew M Powl
Department of Crystallography, Institute of Structural and Molecular Biology, Birkbeck College, University of London, London WC1E 7HX, United Kingdom
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107:14064-9. 2010..Analyses of the CTDs of 32 putative prokaryotic Na(V) sequences suggest that a CTD helical bundle is a structural feature conserved throughout the bacterial sodium channel family...
- Biological applications of X-ray fluorescence microscopy: exploring the subcellular topography and speciation of transition metalsChristoph J Fahrni
School of Chemistry and Biochemistry and Petit Institute for Bioengineering and Bioscience, Georgia Institute of Technology, 901 Atlantic Drive, Atlanta, Georgia 30332 0400, USA
Curr Opin Chem Biol 11:121-7. 2007....
- X-ray structure of bacteriorhodopsin at 2.5 angstroms from microcrystals grown in lipidic cubic phasesE Pebay-Peyroula
Institut de Biologie Structurale CEA CNRS Université Joseph Fourier, 41 Avenue des Martyrs, F 38027 Grenoble Cedex 1, France
Science 277:1676-81. 1997..Eight water molecules are now identified experimentally in the proton pathway. These findings reveal the constituents of the proton translocation pathway in the ground state...
- Medical phase contrast x-ray imaging: current status and future prospectsR A Lewis
Monash Centre for Synchrotron Science and School of Physics and Materials Engineering, Monash University, Victoria 3800, Australia
Phys Med Biol 49:3573-83. 2004..The use of synchrotrons has revealed the possibilities offered by these techniques but unfortunately the application of these ideas in ..
- Estimating and correcting mie scattering in synchrotron-based microscopic fourier transform infrared spectra by extended multiplicative signal correctionA Kohler
Centre for Biospectroscopy and Data Modelling, Norwegian Food Research Institute, MATFORSK, Osloveien 1, 1430 As, Norway
Appl Spectrosc 62:259-66. 2008..The results indicate that several cell components may contribute to the Mie scattering...
- Synchrotron imaging of the grasshopper tracheal system: morphological and physiological components of tracheal hypermetryKendra J Greenlee
Department of Biological Sciences, North Dakota State University, Fargo, North Dakota 58108, USA
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 297:R1343-50. 2009....
- Successful reproduction requires the function of Arabidopsis Yellow Stripe-Like1 and Yellow Stripe-Like3 metal-nicotianamine transporters in both vegetative and reproductive structuresHeng Hsuan Chu
Plant Biology Graduate Program, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, Massachusetts 01003, USA
Plant Physiol 154:197-210. 2010..In particular, neither AtYSL1 nor AtYSL2 is able to functionally complement the reproductive defects exhibited by ysl1ysl3 double mutant plants...
- Development and commissioning of a Monte Carlo photon beam model for the forthcoming clinical trials in microbeam radiation therapyI Martínez-Rovira
ID17 Biomedical Beamline, European Synchrotron Radiation Facility, BP 220, 6 rue Jules Horowitz, F 38043 Grenoble Cedex, France
Med Phys 39:119-31. 2012..The aims of this study are the development and experimental benchmarking of a photon beam source model, which will be the core of the future MRT treatment planning system (TPS)...
- Structural differences between "dark" and "bright" isolated human osteonic lamellaeMaria Grazia Ascenzi
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Biomechanics Research Division, University of California at Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA, USA
J Struct Biol 141:22-33. 2003..The alternate osteon structure is described by a rather continuous multidirectional pattern, in which dark and bright lamellae display different mechanical and possibly biological functions...
- IR spectroscopic characteristics of cell cycle and cell death probed by synchrotron radiation based Fourier transform IR spectromicroscopyH Y Holman
Center for Environmental Biotechnology, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, One Cyclotron Road, Berkeley, California 94720, USA
Biopolymers 57:329-35. 2000..Biopolymers (Biospectroscopy) 57: 329-335, 2000..
- High-precision radiosurgical dose delivery by interlaced microbeam arrays of high-flux low-energy synchrotron X-raysRaphael Serduc
Universite de Toulouse, UPS, Centre de Recherche Cerveau et Cognition, Toulouse, France
PLoS ONE 5:e9028. 2010..The use of synchrotron-generated X-rays enables delivery of high doses for destruction of small focal regions in human brains, with sharper dose fall-offs than those described in any other conventional radiation therapy...
- Tumor cell response to synchrotron microbeam radiation therapy differs markedly from cells in normal tissuesJeffrey C Crosbie
School of Physics, Monash University, Clayton, Victoria, Australia
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 77:886-94. 2010..The aim of this study was to investigate the cellular processes behind this observation of potential clinical importance...
- Vessel imaging by interferometric phase-contrast X-ray techniqueTohoru Takeda
Institute of Clinical Medicine, University of Tsukuba, Tsukuba shi, Ibaraki, Japan
Circulation 105:1708-12. 2002....
- Analytical and experimental determination of signal-to-noise ratio and figure of merit in three phase-contrast imaging techniquesP C Diemoz
Faculty of Physics, Ludwig Maximilians Universitat Munchen, 85748 Garching, Germany
Opt Express 20:27670-90. 2012..The sensitivity of each technique, in terms of the smallest detectable phase shift, is also evaluated...
- Lung cancer and angiogenesis imaging using synchrotron radiationXiaoxia Liu
Biomedical Engineering, School of Life Sciences and Biotechnology, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, Shanghai, People s Republic of China
Phys Med Biol 55:2399-409. 2010....
- Synchrotron microangiography with no contrast agentY Hwu
Institute of Physics, Academia Sinica, 128 Academia Rd, Nankang Taipei, Taiwan
Phys Med Biol 49:501-8. 2004..The images have excellent contrast plus unprecedented spatial resolution for microangiography (< 10 microm). This result is likely to impact many different areas of biological and medical research and of diagnostic radiology...
- Effect of tidal volume on distribution of ventilation assessed by synchrotron radiation CT in rabbitL Porra
Department of Physical Sciences, University of Helsinki, Helsinki FIN 00014, Finland
J Appl Physiol (1985) 96:1899-908. 2004..The findings suggest that (SRCT) provides a new quantitative tool with high spatial discrimination ability for assessment of changes in peripheral pulmonary gas distribution during mechanical ventilation...
- In vivo synchrotron study of thallium speciation and compartmentation in Iberis intermediaKirk G Scheckel
LRPCD, NRML, ORD, US Environmental Protection Agency, Cincinnati, Ohio 45224, USA
Environ Sci Technol 38:5095-100. 2004....
- Finite element 3D reconstruction of the pulmonary acinus imaged by synchrotron X-ray tomographyA Tsuda
Molecular and Integrative Physiological Sciences, Harvard School of Public Health, 665 Huntington Ave, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Appl Physiol (1985) 105:964-76. 2008..The resulting 3D FEs are ready to be used for 3D structural analysis as well as for subsequent FE computational analyses like fluid dynamics and skeletonization...
- Radiosurgical palliation of aggressive murine SCCVII squamous cell carcinomas using synchrotron-generated X-ray microbeamsM Miura
Medical Department, Brookhaven National Laboratory, Upton, NY 11973 5000, USA
Br J Radiol 79:71-5. 2006....
- Time-lapsed assessment of microcrack initiation and propagation in murine cortical bone at submicrometer resolutionR Voide
Institute for Biomechanics, ETH Zurich, HCI E357 2, Wolfgang Pauli Strasse 10, 8093 Zurich, Switzerland
Bone 45:164-73. 2009..We believe that this new investigation tool will be very useful to further enhance our understanding of bone failure mechanisms...
- Brain tumor vessel response to synchrotron microbeam radiation therapy: a short-term in vivo studyRaphael Serduc
INSERM, U836, F38043 Grenoble, France
Phys Med Biol 53:3609-22. 2008..These results suggest that MRT parameters need to be optimized to further damage tumor vessels...
- Characterization and quantification of cerebral edema induced by synchrotron x-ray microbeam radiation therapyRaphael Serduc
INSERM, U836, F 38043 Grenoble, France
Phys Med Biol 53:1153-66. 2008..Both types of edema disappear within a week after microbeam exposure which may confirm the normal tissue sparing effect of MRT...
- Irradiation of intracerebral 9L gliosarcoma by a single array of microplanar x-ray beams from a synchrotron: balance between curing and sparingPierrick Regnard
Biomedical Facility, ESRF, BP220, Grenoble, France
Phys Med Biol 53:861-78. 2008....
- Using synchrotron X-ray fluorescence microprobes in the study of metal homeostasis in plantsTracy Punshon
Department of Biological Sciences, Dartmouth College, Hanover, NH 03755, USA
Ann Bot 103:665-72. 2009..This Botanical Briefing reviews the application of synchrotron X-ray fluorescence (SXRF) microprobes to the plant sciences; how the technique has expanded our knowledge of metal(loid) homeostasis, and how it can be used in the future...
- Adding synchrotron radiation to infrared microspectroscopy: what's new in biomedical applications?Paul Dumas
SOLEIL Synchrotron, L Orme des Merisiers, BP48, F 91191 Gif sur Yvette Cedex, France
Trends Biotechnol 25:40-4. 2007..Although the theory of infrared (IR) spectroscopy is thoroughly worked out, the scientific ground of vibrational spectroscopy is now undergoing a real boost, with the application of this analytical technique in biology and biomedicine...
- Synchrotron microbeam radiation therapy for rat brain tumor palliation-influence of the microbeam width at constant valley doseRaphael Serduc
Universite de Toulouse, UPS, Centre de Recherche Cerveau et Cognition, France
Phys Med Biol 54:6711-24. 2009..The use of 50 microm wide microbeams combined with moderate peak doses resulted in a higher therapeutic ratio...
- Blood vessels: depiction at phase-contrast X-ray imaging without contrast agents in the mouse and rat-feasibility studyA Momose
Advanced Research Laboratory, Hitachi, Saitama, Japan
Radiology 217:593-6. 2000..Vessels with diameter smaller than 0.1 mm were recognized. This result allows new possibilities for investigation of the vascular system...
- High-resolution tomographic imaging of a human cerebellum: comparison of absorption and grating-based phase contrastGeorg Schulz
Biomaterials Science Center, University of Basel, Switzerland
J R Soc Interface 7:1665-76. 2010..The detection of individual Purkinje cells without the application of any stain or contrast agent is unique in the field of computed tomography and sets new standards in non-destructive three-dimensional imaging...
- Response of avian embryonic brain to spatially segmented x-ray microbeamsF A Dilmanian
Medical Department, Brookhaven National Laboratory, Upton, NY 11973 5000, USA
Cell Mol Biol (Noisy-le-grand) 47:485-93. 2001..i.e., the dose averaged over microbeams and the space between the microbeams, brain tolerance was estimated to be about three times higher to microbeam irradiation as compared with broad beam irradiation...
- Efficacy of intracerebral delivery of cisplatin in combination with photon irradiation for treatment of brain tumorsJulia Rousseau
INSERM U836, Equipe 6, ESRF, Medical Beamline, BP 220, 38043, Grenoble Cedex 9, France
J Neurooncol 98:287-95. 2010....
- Mechanical behavior of cellulose microfibrils in tension wood, in relation with maturation stress generationBruno Clair
Research Institute for Sustainable Humanosphere, Kyoto University, Uji Kyoto, Japan
Biophys J 91:1128-35. 2006....
- Automation of sample mounting for macromolecular crystallographyF Cipriani
EMBL Grenoble, 6 rue Jules Horowitz, BP 181, Grenoble Cedex 9, France
Acta Crystallogr D Biol Crystallogr 62:1251-9. 2006..Tools for handling and transporting 50 samples in a dry shipping dewar have been developed. In addition to the SC3, the SPINE sample holder is currently compatible with a number of other robotic sample changers...
- Inducing phase changes in crystals of macromolecules: status and perspectives for controlled crystal dehydrationSilvia Russi
European Molecular Biology Laboratory, 6 rue Jules Horowitz, BP 181, 38042 Grenoble, Cedex 9, France
J Struct Biol 175:236-43. 2011..Here we describe a standard dehydration experiment, highlight some successful cases and discuss the different possible uses of the device...
- The 15 SCR flexible extracellular domains of human complement receptor type 2 can mediate multiple ligand and antigen interactionsHannah E Gilbert
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Darwin Building, University College London, Gower Street, London, WC1E 6BT, UK
J Mol Biol 362:1132-47. 2006..The flexible location of CR2 SCR 1-2 is likely to facilitate interactions of C3d-antigen complexes with the B cell receptor...
- Strain fields in histological slices of brain tissue determined by synchrotron radiation-based micro computed tomographyMarco Germann
Computer Vision Laboratory, ETH Zurich, Sternwartstrasse 7, 8092 Zurich, Switzerland
J Neurosci Methods 170:149-55. 2008..3%. Mean deformation values for the Nissl-stained slices are determined to about 1%, whereas the myelin-stained slices yield slightly higher values than 2%...
- Preferential effect of synchrotron microbeam radiation therapy on intracerebral 9L gliosarcoma vascular networksAudrey Bouchet
ESRF, Grenoble, France
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 78:1503-12. 2010..Our aim was to analyze the effects of MRT on normal brain and 9L gliosarcoma tissues, particularly on blood vessels...
- Automated data collection for macromolecular crystallographyGraeme Winter
Diamond Light Source Ltd, Harwell Science and Innovation Campus, Chilton, Oxfordshire OX11 0DE, UK
Methods 55:81-93. 2011..An overview, together with some practical advice, is presented of the current status of the automation of macromolecular crystallography (MX) data collection, with a focus on MX beamlines at Diamond Light Source, UK...
- Atherosclerotic plaque imaging using phase-contrast X-ray computed tomographyMasakazu Shinohara
Division of Cardiovascular Medicine, Department of Internal Medicine, Kobe University Graduate School of Medicine, 7 5 1 Kusunoki cho, Chuo Ku, Kobe 650 0017, Japan
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 294:H1094-100. 2008..It can be a promising noninvasive technique for the investigation of plaque components and detection of unstable coronary plaques...
- A possible biomedical facility at the European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN)M Dosanjh
European Organization for Nuclear Research CERN, Geneva, Switzerland
Br J Radiol 86:20120660. 2013....
- Functional characterisation of metal(loid) processes in planta through the integration of synchrotron techniques and plant molecular biologyErica Donner
Centre for Environmental Risk Assessment and Remediation, University of South Australia, Building X, Mawson Lakes Campus, Mawson Lakes, SA 5095, Australia
Anal Bioanal Chem 402:3287-98. 2012..The article concludes with a summary of the technical challenges still remaining for synchrotron-based hard X-ray plant science research, particularly those relating to subcellular level research...
- Phase and absorption retrieval using incoherent X-ray sourcesPeter R T Munro
Department of Medical Physics and Bioengineering, University College London, Torrington Place, London WC1E 6BT, United Kingdom
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 109:13922-7. 2012..The technique works at high photon energy and thus promises to deliver much safer quantitative phase imaging and phase tomography in the future...
- Molecular structures from low angle X-ray and neutron scattering studiesS J Perkins
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Royal Free Hospital School of Medicine, London, UK
Int J Biol Macromol 22:1-16. 1998..The outcome of these analyses is critically appraised, in particular the biological significance of structures determined by these solution scattering curve fits...
- Time-resolved structural studies at synchrotrons and X-ray free electron lasers: opportunities and challengesRichard Neutze
Department of Chemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Gothenburg, SE 40530 Gothenburg, Sweden
Curr Opin Struct Biol 22:651-9. 2012..Despite these challenges, we are confident that XFEL sources are poised to shed new light on ultrafast protein reaction dynamics...
- Tracheal respiration in insects visualized with synchrotron x-ray imagingMark W Westneat
Department of Zoology, Field Museum of Natural History, Chicago, IL 60605, USA
Science 299:558-60. 2003..Body movements and hemolymph circulation cannot account for these cycles; therefore, our observations demonstrate a previously unknown mechanism of respiration in insects analogous to the inflation and deflation of vertebrate lungs...
- Biological equivalent dose studies for dose escalation in the stereotactic synchrotron radiation therapy clinical trialsY Prezado
ID17 Biomedical Beamline, European Synchrotron Radiation Facility ESRF, 6 rue Jules Horowitz, BP 220, 38043 Grenoble Cedex, France
Med Phys 36:725-33. 2009..The biological equivalent doses and the normalized total doses received by the skull have been calculated in order to assure that the tolerance values are not reached...
- Synchrotron FTIR microspectroscopy of the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae after exposure to plasma-deposited nanosilver-containing coatingC Saulou
Synchrotron SOLEIL, Gif sur Yvette, France
Anal Bioanal Chem 396:1441-50. 2010..For control experiments with the organosilicon matrix alone, no antimicrobial effect was observed, which was consistent with synchrotron FTIR results and TEM observations...
- Impact of synchrotron radiation on macromolecular crystallography: a personal viewZbigniew Dauter
Synchrotron Radiation Research Section, Macromolecular Crystallography Laboratory, NCI, Argonne National Laboratory, Argonne, IL 60439, USA
J Synchrotron Radiat 17:433-44. 2010..Here a brief history of the development of methodologies that took advantage of the availability of synchrotron sources are presented, and some personal experiences with the utilization of synchrotrons in the early days are recalled.
- Synchrotron radiation in life sciencesVivian Stojanoff
Brookhaven National Laboratory, National Synchrotron Light Source, Building 725D, Upton NY 11973, USA
Protein Pept Lett 19:761-9. 2012..SR diffraction, spectroscopy and imaging methods relevant to the atomic structure determination and characterization of the properties and function of chemical compounds and macromolecules of biological relevance, are introduced...
- High-throughput sample handling and data collection at synchrotrons: embedding the ESRF into the high-throughput gene-to-structure pipelineA Beteva
ESRF, 6 rue Jules Horowitz, Grenoble, France
Acta Crystallogr D Biol Crystallogr 62:1162-9. 2006..Reports of all actions taken are available for inspection via database modules and web services...
- Dose distribution of a 125 keV mean energy microplanar x-ray beam for basic studies on microbeam radiotherapyYumiko Ohno
National Institute of Radiological Sciences, 4 9 1 Anagawa, Inage, Chiba 263 8555, Japan
Med Phys 35:3252-8. 2008..This dose distribution was well reproduced by the Monte Carlo simulation code PHITS...
- Ratio-contrast imaging of dual-energy absorption for element mapping with a scanning transmission X-ray microscopeX Z Zhang
Shanghai Institute of Applied Physics, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Shanghai 201204, People s Republic of China
J Synchrotron Radiat 17:804-9. 2010..Several examples are presented to illustrate the effectiveness of the method...
- TXM-Wizard: a program for advanced data collection and evaluation in full-field transmission X-ray microscopyYijin Liu
Stanford Synchrotron Radiation Lightsource, SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory, 2575 Sand Hill Road, Menlo Park, CA 94025, USA
J Synchrotron Radiat 19:281-7. 2012..Furthermore, analytical and iterative tomography reconstruction algorithms were implemented. The compiled software package is freely available...
- Synchrotron-generated microbeam radiosurgery: a novel experimental approach to modulate brain functionPantaleo Romanelli
Cyberknife Radiosurgery Center, Centro Diagnostico Italiano CDI, Milano, Italy
Neurol Res 33:825-31. 2011..This novel microradiosurgical approach is of great interest for the treatment of a variety of brain disorders, including functional diseases such as epilepsy and movement disorders...
- Pigmented creatine deposits in Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis central nervous system tissues identified by synchrotron Fourier Transform Infrared microspectroscopy and X-ray fluorescence spectromicroscopyM Z Kastyak
Faculty of Physics and Applied Computer Science, AGH University of Science and Technology, Krakow, Poland
Neuroscience 166:1119-28. 2010..We conclude that elevated creatine deposits may be indicators of dysfunctional oxidative processes in some ALS cases...
- Monte Carlo dosimetry for synchrotron stereotactic radiotherapy of brain tumoursCaroline Boudou
INSERM U647 ESRF European Synchrotron Radiation Facility, BP 220, 38043 Grenoble Cedex 9, France
Phys Med Biol 50:4841-51. 2005..This paper demonstrates the feasibility of stereotactic radiotherapy for treating deep-seated brain tumours with monoenergetic x-rays from a synchrotron...
- Spectromicroscopic film dosimetry for high-energy microbeam from synchrotron radiationNobuteru Nariyama
Japan Synchrotron Radiation Research Institute, Kouto 1 1 1, Sayo, Hyogo 679 5198, Japan
Appl Radiat Isot 67:155-9. 2009..7Gy/s, respectively. In a polymethylmethacrylate phantom, the peak-to-valley dose ratio decreased to 80 at a 1-mm depth. Doses calculated with the PENELOPE code agreed with those around the peak but became smaller in the valley...
- A method of dosimetry for synchrotron microbeam radiation therapy using radiochromic films of different sensitivityJ C Crosbie
School of Physics, Monash University, Melbourne, Victoria 3800, Australia
Phys Med Biol 53:6861-77. 2008..The microbeam collimator did not make an appreciable difference to the beam quality. The values of the peak-to-valley ratio reported in this paper are higher than those predicted by previously published Monte Carlo simulation papers...
- Comparison of intravenous coronary angiography using synchrotron radiation with selective coronary angiographyW R Dix
Hamburger Synchrotronstrahlungslabor HASYLAB at DESY, Notkestrasse 85, Germany
J Synchrotron Radiat 10:219-27. 2003..Furthermore, the spatial resolution is three or four times higher using synchrotron angiography, and problems due to respiratory motion are eliminated...
- Prolonged survival of Fischer rats bearing F98 glioma after iodine-enhanced synchrotron stereotactic radiotherapyJean François Adam
INSERM U647, Grenoble, France
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 64:603-11. 2006....
- Murine EMT-6 carcinoma: high therapeutic efficacy of microbeam radiation therapyF Avraham Dilmanian
Medical Department, Brookhaven National Laboratory, Upton, New York 11973, USA
Radiat Res 159:632-41. 2003..02), but severe leg dysfunction was also lower (P < 0.003). These findings suggest that single-fraction microbeams can ablate tumors at high rates with relatively little normal-tissue toxicity...
- Radiation-induced gamma-H2AX in mammalian cells irradiated with a synchrotron X-ray microbeamN Usami
Photon Factory, High Energy Accelerator Research Organization KEK, Tsukuba 305 0801, Japan
Radiat Prot Dosimetry 122:307-9. 2006..Most of the fluorescent foci were observed in a localised area in cell nuclei, the size of which was almost the same as the beam size...
- Synchrotron radiation therapy of malignant brain glioma loaded with an iodinated contrast agent: first trial on rats bearing F98 gliomasJean François Adam
Equipe d Accueil Rayonnement Synchrotron et Recherche Médicale, Universite Joseph Fourier, European Synchrotron Radiation Facility, Grenoble, France
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 57:1413-26. 2003..Synchrotron sources, providing monochromatic tunable intense beams, are ideal for this treatment. The aim of this study is to assess in vivo the efficiency of this novel radiotherapy modality, Synchrotron Radiation CT-Therapy...
- Polymer gel dosimetry for synchrotron stereotactic radiotherapy and iodine dose-enhancement measurementsC Boudou
INSERM U 836 Equipe 6 Rayonnement Synchrotron et Recherche Médicale, Institut des Neurosciences de Grenoble, France
Phys Med Biol 52:4881-92. 2007..We demonstrate in this preliminary study that iodine-doped nPAG could be used for measuring in situ dose distributions for iodine-enhanced SSR treatment...
- Synchrotron photoactivation of cisplatin elicits an extra number of DNA breaks that stimulate RAD51-mediated repair pathwaysStephanie Corde
Equipe d Accueil 2941 Rayonnement Synchrotron et Recherche Médicale, Unité IRM, CHU A Michallon, BP 217, F 38043 Grenoble Cedex 09, France
Cancer Res 63:3221-7. 2003..Unlike conventional X-ray emitters, accelerators of high energy particles like synchrotrons display powerful and monochromatizable radiation that makes the induction of an Auger electron cascade in cis-..
- Radiobiological features of the anti-cancer strategies involving synchrotron X-raysZuzana Bencokova
INSERM U647, ID17, European Synchrotron Research Facility, 38043 Grenoble, France
J Synchrotron Radiat 15:74-85. 2008b>Synchrotrons are opening new paths in innovative anti-cancer radiotherapy strategies...
- Visualization of intracerebral arteries by synchrotron radiation microangiographyK Myojin
Department of Cerebrovascular Disease, National Cardiovascular Center, Osaka, Japan
AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 28:953-7. 2007..The goal of our study was the development of methodology allowing visualization of small cerebral arteries in rodents, suitable for experimental models...
- Significant deterioration in nanomechanical quality occurs through incomplete extrafibrillar mineralization in rachitic bone: evidence from in-situ synchrotron X-ray scattering and backscattered electron imagingAngelo Karunaratne
School of Engineering and Material Sciences, Queen Mary University of London, London, UK
J Bone Miner Res 27:876-90. 2012..Our study demonstrates the value of in situ X-ray nanomechanical imaging in linking the alterations in bone nanostructure to nanoscale mechanical deterioration in a metabolic bone disease...
- Synchrotron stereotactic radiotherapy: dosimetry by Fricke gel and Monte Carlo simulationsCaroline Boudou
INSERM U647 Rayonnement synchrotron et recherche médicale and ID17 Biomedical Beamline of the European Synchrotron Radiation Facility, Grenoble, France
Phys Med Biol 49:5135-44. 2004..Although the technique requires improvements, gel dosimetry remains an essential tool for the experimental verification of dose distribution in SSR with millimetre precision...
- Mammography with synchrotron radiation: first clinical experience with phase-detection techniqueEdoardo Castelli
Department of Physics, University of Trieste, via A Valerio 2, 34127 Trieste, Italy
Radiology 259:684-94. 2011..To prospectively evaluate the diagnostic contribution of mammography with synchrotron radiation in patients with questionable or suspicious breast abnormalities identified at combined digital mammography (DM) and ultrasonography (US)...
- Diffusion of ofloxacin in the endocarditis vegetation assessed with synchrotron radiation UV fluorescence microspectroscopyEric Batard
Universite de Nantes, EA3826 Thérapeutiques cliniques et expérimentales des infections, Nantes, France
PLoS ONE 6:e19440. 2011..Synchrotron radiation UV fluorescence microscopy is a new tool for assessment of antibiotic diffusion in the endocarditis vegetation bacterial masses...
- Normoxic polyacrylamide gel doped with iodine: response versus X-ray energyJérôme Gastaldo
Institut National de la Sante et de la Recherche Medicale, Unite 836, Grenoble Institut des Neurosciences, Equipe Rayonnement synchrotron et recherche médicale, Grenoble F 38043, Cedex 9, France
Eur J Radiol 68:S118-20. 2008..We demonstrate in this study that polymer gel dosimeters can be used for measuring dose-enhancement due to iodine presence in SSR treatment...
- Status of the hard X-ray microprobe beamline ID22 of the European Synchrotron Radiation FacilityGema Martinez-Criado
European Synchrotron Radiation Facility, Experiments Division, Grenoble, France
J Synchrotron Radiat 19:10-8. 2012..The upgrade plans to adapt the beamline to the growing needs of the user community are briefly discussed...
- Synchrotron radiation micro-CT at the micrometer scale for the analysis of the three-dimensional morphology of microcracks in human trabecular boneAymeric Larrue
CREATIS, INSERM U1044, CNRS 5220, INSA Lyon, Université Lyon I, Universite de Lyon, Villeurbanne, France
PLoS ONE 6:e21297. 2011..In conclusion, this technique opens new perspective for the 3D investigation of microcracks and the impact of age, disease or treatment...
- A coherent synchrotron X-ray microradiology investigation of bubble and droplet coalescenceB M Weon
X ray Imaging Center, Department of Materials Science and Engineering, Pohang University of Science and Technology, Pohang 790 784, Korea
J Synchrotron Radiat 15:660-2. 2008..The results illustrate the remarkable effectiveness of coherent X-ray imaging in delineating interfaces in multiphase systems, in accurately measuring their geometric properties and in monitoring their dynamics...
- Phasing power at the K absorption edge of organic arsenicPascal Retailleau
Laboratoire LURE, Centre Universitaire Paris Sud, Batiment 209d, BP 34, 91898 Orsay Cedex, France
Acta Crystallogr D Biol Crystallogr 59:887-96. 2003..This work emphasizes the great potential of arsenic for de novo structure determination using anomalous dispersion methods...
- Human carcinoma: early experience with phase-contrast X-ray CT with synchrotron radiation--comparative specimen study with optical microscopyT Takeda
Department of Radiology, Institute of Clinical Medicine, University of Tsukuba, Tsukuba shi, Ibaraki, Japan
Radiology 214:298-301. 2000....
- Cure of Fisher rats bearing radioresistant F98 glioma treated with cis-platinum and irradiated with monochromatic synchrotron X-raysMarie Claude Biston
U647 Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale Rayonnement Synchrotron et Recherche Médicale, ID17 Medical Beamline and ID22 Beamline, European Synchrotron Radiation Facility, Grenoble, France
Cancer Res 64:2317-23. 2004....
- Protein Circular Dichroism Data Bank (PCDDB): data bank and website designLee Whitmore
Dept of Crystallography, Birkbeck College, University of London, London, UK
Chirality 18:426-9. 2006....
- Synchrotron-based infrared and X-ray imaging shows focalized accumulation of Cu and Zn co-localized with beta-amyloid deposits in Alzheimer's diseaseLisa M Miller
National Synchrotron Light Source, Brookhaven National Laboratory, Upton, NY, USA
J Struct Biol 155:30-7. 2006..Thus for the first time, a strong spatial correlation has been observed between elevated beta-sheet content in Abeta plaques and accumulated Cu and Zn ions, emphasizing an association of metal ions with amyloid formation in AD...
- Synchrotron radiation X-ray microfluorescence reveals polarized distribution of atomic elements during differentiation of pluripotent stem cellsSimone C Cardoso
Instituto de Fisica, Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
PLoS ONE 6:e29244. 2011....
- Semi-rigid solution structures of heparin by constrained X-ray scattering modelling: new insight into heparin-protein complexesSanaullah Khan
Department of Structural and Molecular Biology, Division of Biosciences, Darwin Building, University College London, Gower Street, London WC1E 6BT, UK
J Mol Biol 395:504-21. 2010..We conclude that heparin in solution has a semi-rigid and extended conformation that is preformed for its optimal binding to protein targets without major conformational changes...
- Synchrotron radiation imaging of internal structures in live animalsKyu Ho Lee
Medical Research Center, Academia Sinica, Taipei, Taiwan
Yonsei Med J 43:25-30. 2002..Furthermore, this imaging system may be applied to humans as the next tool beyond CT and MRI...
- Synchrotron radiation circular dichroism spectroscopy of proteins and applications in structural and functional genomicsAndrew J Miles
Department of Crystallography, Birkbeck College, University of London, UK
Chem Soc Rev 35:39-51. 2006..In functional genomics (FG) new applications include screening for ligand binding as a means of identifying function, and examination of structural differences in mutant proteins as a means of gaining insight into function...
- Assessment of bone tissue mineralization by conventional x-ray microcomputed tomography: comparison with synchrotron radiation microcomputed tomography and ash measurementsG J Kazakia
Musculoskeletal and Quantitative Imaging Research Group, Department of Radiology, University of California, San Francisco, California 94158, USA
Med Phys 35:3170-9. 2008..Our results indicate that muCT mineralization measures are underestimated but well-correlated with SRmuCT and gravimetric data, particularly when volume fraction groups are considered individually...
- MOSFET dosimetry with high spatial resolution in intense synchrotron-generated x-ray microbeamsE A Siegbahn
European Synchrotron Radiation Facility ESRF, 6 rue Jules Horowitz, 38043 Grenoble, France
Med Phys 36:1128-37. 2009..Sources of discrepancies between measured and simulated doses are discussed, of which the energy dependent response of the MOSFET was shown to be among the most important...
- Calcium triggered L alpha-H2 phase transition monitored by combined rapid mixing and time-resolved synchrotron SAXSAnan Yaghmur
Institute of Biophysics and Nanosystems Research, Austrian Academy of Sciences, Graz, Austria
PLoS ONE 3:e2072. 2008....
- Chemical imaging of biological tissue with synchrotron infrared lightLisa M Miller
National Synchrotron Light Source, Brookhaven National Laboratory, Upton, NY 11973, USA
Biochim Biophys Acta 1758:846-57. 2006..In this review, we describe the development of synchrotron-based FTIRM, illustrate its advantages in many applications to biological systems, and propose some potential future directions for the technique...
- Synergistic use of synchrotron radiation techniques for biological samples in solution: a case study on protein-ligand recognition by the peroxisomal import receptor Pex5pW A Stanley
EMBL Hamburg, c o DESY, Notkestrasse 85, 22603 Hamburg, Germany
J Synchrotron Radiat 11:490-6. 2004..Implications of the combined use of synchrotron-based circular dichroism spectropolarimetry and X-ray scattering in structural biology and proteomics are discussed...
- Infrared microscopy of epithelial cancer cells in whole tissues and in tissue culture, using synchrotron radiationMark J Tobin
Synchrotron Radiation Department, CCLRC Daresbury Laboratory, Warrington, Cheshire WA4 4AD, UK
Faraday Discuss 126:27-39; discussion 77-92. 2004..We have detected key changes in the infrared spectrum that relate to the activation of the growth factor signalling mechanism...
- Neuroprotective action of FK-506 (tacrolimus) after seizures induced with pilocarpine: quantitative and topographic elemental analysis of brain tissueJoanna Chwiej
Department of Applied Nuclear Methods, Faculty of Physics and Applied Computer Science, AGH University of Science and Technology, Krakow, Poland
J Biol Inorg Chem 15:283-9. 2010..The findings obtained in the present study suggest that the neuroprotective action of FK-506 in epileptic rat brain may involve not only the inhibition of calcineurin but also blockade of the K(+) channels...
- Molecular determination of liver fibrosis by synchrotron infrared microspectroscopyKan Zhi Liu
Institute for Biodiagnostics, National Research Council of Canada, Winnipeg, MB, Canada R3B 1Y6
Biochim Biophys Acta 1758:960-7. 2006..We therefore suggest that infrared microspectroscopy may provide an additional and sensitive means for the early detection of liver fibrosis...
- [Conception of heavy ion beam therapy at Heidelberg University (HICAT)]Peter Heeg
Z Med Phys 14:17-24. 2004..An intensity-controlled raster scanning technique will be used to optimize the use of the favorable depth dose distribution of ions. The planned heavy-ion gantry will be the first world-wide. The facility should be complete in 2006...
- Midwest Center for Structural GenomicsANDRZEJ JOACHIMIAK JOACHIMIAK; Fiscal Year: 2013..integrated and cost effective methods for structure determination by X-ray crystallography at 3rd generation synchrotrons. We will continue development of advanced data management systems and databases that are vital to the primary ..
- CSHL X-Ray Methods in Structural BiologyTERRI I GRODZICKER; Fiscal Year: 2013..proteins, nucleic acids, viruses and complexes), crystal characterization, X-ray sources and optics, synchrotrons, crystal freezing, data collection, X-ray data reduction, multiple isomorphous replacement, multiwavelength/..
- The Transmembrane Protein CenterBrian G Fox; Fiscal Year: 2013..Expanded options for crystallization screening, access to synchrotrons, and improvements in software used to solve structures will also contribute to the increased throughput ..
- The roles of TfRs and HSPA5 in Pu uptakeGayle E Woloschak; Fiscal Year: 2013..of experiments using X-ray fluorescence spectroscopy and microscopy that can be done only at third generation synchrotrons such as the Advanced Photon Source (APS) at ANL...
- 2007 Electron Distribution & Chemical Bonding Gordon Research ConferenceCarlo Gatti; Fiscal Year: 2007..more brilliant and approximately three orders of magnitude shorter, a few femtoseconds, than those provided by synchrotrons - the present third generation sources...
- High Efficiency Silicon Detectors for Synchrontron XRFCAROLYN TULL; Fiscal Year: 2005..Third generation synchrotrons, such as the Advanced Photon Source (APS), have photon flux brilliance in the 6-40 keV region that allow ..
- A Water-Window Soft X-Ray Microscope for Small LaboratoriesSTEPHEN HORNE; Fiscal Year: 2006..of this research will be to leverage the soft x-ray microcope technology already developed for use on the synchrotrons into the development of a cost effective lab-scale microscope...
- Silicon Detectors for Synchrotron X-Ray FluorescenceCAROLYN TULL; Fiscal Year: 2003..Synchrotron XRF techniques are becoming essential tools in the field of bio-medical applications. Several synchrotrons - such as the Stanford Synchrotron Radiation Laboratory and the National Synchrotron Light Source - have hard x-..
- LOW LEVEL METALS MICROANALYSIS WITH MONOCHROMATIC X-RAYSZEWU CHEN; Fiscal Year: 2000..Similar techniques that have only been practical with costly synchrotrons are possible with lower power, cost effective systems using a new, revolutionary doubly-curved crystal optic...
- Fluorescent Methods for Protein CrystallizationMarc Pusey; Fiscal Year: 2005..to aid in the automation of crystal mounting using relatively low cost optics, further increasing throughput at synchrotrons. While this proposal focuses on a visual approach, it is anticipated that success will subsequently lead to ..
- OXIDATION STATE DETERMINATION IN CHROMIUM CARCINOGENESISZEWU CHEN; Fiscal Year: 2000..Until now, the XANES technique was not very practical, relying on costly synchrotrons. This attractive technique could be implemented using a lower power cost-effective system incorporating a ..
- OXIDATION STATE DETERMINATION IN CHROMIUM CARCINOGENESISZEWU CHEN; Fiscal Year: 2003..Until now, the XANES technique was not very practical, relying on costly synchrotrons. This valuable technique could be implemented using a lower power cost-effective system incorporating a ..
- BEAM NOISE EVALUATION/COMPENSATIONBritton Chance; Fiscal Year: 1991..high intensity and positional stability is a logical sequel to the construction of high intensity, low emission synchrotrons throughout the world and particularly at NSLS (National Synchrotron Light Source at Brookhaven National ..
- VIBRATING REED MODULATOR FOR X-RAY BEAM STABILIZATIONSYED KHALID; Fiscal Year: 1990It is an accepted fact among the community of synchrotron users that about half of the data they collect on the synchrotrons for X-ray absorption or other spectroscopies is discarded...
- THE MIDWEST CENTER FOR STRUCTURAL GENOMICSAndrzej Joachimiak; Fiscal Year: 2004..allow rapid, large-scale determination of new protein structures using x-ray crystallography, third-generation synchrotrons, and advanced software and computing facilities...
- NOVEL SOFT X-RAY IMAGING MICROSCOPE DIFFRACTION PLATEJOSEPH BLANC; Fiscal Year: 1991..enable promising work on imaging hydrated biological specimens at 50 nm resolution currently being done at synchrotrons to be transferred to the university laboratory environment - were it is expected to yield significant insights ..
- X-RAY DETECTOR FOR MACROMOLECULAR CRYSTALLOGRAPHYDavid McKay; Fiscal Year: 2000..The upgraded system will be used both for measuring complete datasets on crystals in-house and for screening crystals in preparation for data collection at synchrotrons.
- Metals and Protein Structure in Protein-Folding DiseasesLisa Miller; Fiscal Year: 2007..Finally, we use the local structure and homogeneity of the in situ metal-protein complex to develop a possible mechanism for the complex formation and toxicity. ..
- Synchrotron-Based Infrared Microscope for Chemical Imaging of DiseaseLisa Miller; Fiscal Year: 2007..This instrument will be unique worldwide. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- ANOMALOUS-SCATTERING STUDIES OF MACROMOLECULAR STRUCTUREWAYNE HENDRICKSON; Fiscal Year: 2008..Biologically exciting problems motivate the development of appropriate tools, and forefront methods to accelerate the solution of interesting structures. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Particles in Developing Lung: Bioengineering ApproachAkira Tsuda; Fiscal Year: 2007..This knowledge has important implications for the estimation of health hazards posed by particulate air pollution and for the establishment of age-appropriate doses of therapeutic drugs delivered by aerosols. ..
- ONCOGENE SPECIFICITY IN ORGAN-DEFINED CANCERSMichael Gould; Fiscal Year: 2001....
- Fluorescent Zinc Sensors for Cellular ImagingCHRISTOPH FAHRNI; Fiscal Year: 2008..The lack of a non-invasive zinc specific fluorescent sensor is currently a limiting factor in the study of intracellular zinc regulation and trafficking. ..
- CHAOTIC MIXING OF AEROSOL IN RHYTHMICALLY EXPANDING LUNGAkira Tsuda; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- LABELIT: Automated Diffraction Analysis for X-ray CrystallographyNicholas Sauter; Fiscal Year: 2009..Our work will create software to allow X-ray crystallographers to perform this difficult experiment rapidly and efficiently. ..
- Allosteric DNAzyme sensors for practical detection of mycotoxinsSCOTT SILVERMAN; Fiscal Year: 2007..Improved sensors for detecting mycotoxins and thereby revealing the presence of fungi will allow proper remedial actions to be taken. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Characterizing a Breast Cancer Modifier Locus That Associates with Human RiskMichael N Gould; Fiscal Year: 2010..Finally, the data to be generated may provide clinical markers of breast cancer risk and novel targets for chemoprevention. ..
- CRYSTALLOGRAPHIC STUDIES ON RIBOSOMAL PARTICLESADA E YONATH; Fiscal Year: 2010..These studies have already illuminated principles of drug selectivity, and provided significant basic knowledge of possible pathways of drug resistance, hence paving the way to improve therapeutic properties. ..
- Secreted Proteins as Breast Cancer Prevention MarkersMichael Gould; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Induction and Selection for Loss of function MutationsMichael Gould; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- FACTORS CONTROLLING SUSCEPTIBILITY TO MAMMARY CANCERMichael Gould; Fiscal Year: 2009..Knowledge of these genes and their function will provide unique insights into the etiology of breast cancer. ..
- 'Indirect Readout' Mediation of Protein-DNA InteractionsMichael Brenowitz; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Structural analysis of the hepatitis C core proteinMarc Allaire; Fiscal Year: 2005..Altogether, the determination of the structure of the capsid will facilitate the development of research programs that aim to inhibit the assembly of the virus, a novel and very promising target for drug development. ..
- HIGH ENERGY IONS AND GENOMIC INSTABILITYEric Hall; Fiscal Year: 2001....
- FASEB CONFERENCE: VIRUS ASSEMBLYJohn Johnson; Fiscal Year: 2002..We also seek to encourage unconventional aspects of virology as represented at our last meeting by presentations describing plant viruses as bio materials and nano reaction vessels. ..
- MECHANISMS OF COOPERATIVE PROTEIN-DNA INTERACTIONSMichael Brenowitz; Fiscal Year: 2006..The long-term goal of this research program is to obtain a comprehensive understanding of the physical principles underlying the initiation of gene transcription and its regulation. ..
- Analysis of Biomolecular AssociationsMichael Brenowitz; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..
- Plant Viruses as Platforms for BiomaterialsJohn Johnson; Fiscal Year: 2006....
- HIGH RESOLUTION OF STRUCTURAL STUDIES OF INSECT VIRUSESJohn Johnson; Fiscal Year: 2001....
- CT & FTIR Assessment of Bone Struture and CompositionGalateia Kazakia; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- TRANSGLUTAMINASE PROMOTES CPPD DISEASE IN AGING JOINTSAnn Rosenthal; Fiscal Year: 2007..These studies will contribute to our understanding of CPPD deposition disease, so that effective therapies for this common and disabling form of arthritis can be designed. ..
- REGULATION OF PTH ACTIVITY IN BONE BY BETA-ARRESTINMary Bouxsein; Fiscal Year: 2008..Information gained from the proposed studies will be instrumental for developing new PTH1R ligands with improved signaling and biologic activity profiles for treatment of osteoporosis and other metabolic bone disorders. ..
- Particle kinetics in the postnatally developing lungAkira Tsuda; Fiscal Year: 2007..At the same time the findings of this project may lay down the foundation for realistic and rationally based inhalation dosimetry in children - a matter of great clinical importance. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Matrix proteins promote matrix vesicle mineralizationAnn Rosenthal; Fiscal Year: 2007..The ultimate goal of this work is to understand the pathogenesis of calcium crystal formation in articular cartilage, so that specific therapies for this disabling disease can be designed. ..
- Microcomputed Tomography Device (Scanco UCT40)Mary Bouxsein; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Cryopreservation of the model organism Drosophila melanogasterBRENT SINCLAIR; Fiscal Year: 2007..The ultimate goal is to cryopreserve D. melanogaster, an achievement that will greatly increase the utility of the Drosophila model for human disease research. ..
- PROTEIN-MINERAL INTERACTIONS AND CALCIUM OXALATE STONESROSEMARY RYALL; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..