- Oxygen uptake during whole-body vibration exercise: comparison with squatting as a slow voluntary movement
Institut fur Physiologie, Freie Universitat Berlin, Germany
Eur J Appl Physiol 86:169-73. 2001
In this study we investigated metabolic power during whole-body vibration exercise (VbX) compared to mild resistance exercise...
- Mechanics of the mammalian cochlea
, Facultad de Medicina, , Universidad de Chile, Santiago, Chile
Physiol Rev 81:1305-52. 2001
..Whether at the base or the apex, the properties of BM vibration adequately account for most frequency-specific properties of the responses to sound of auditory nerve fibers.
- Molecular vibration-sensing component in Drosophila melanogaster olfaction
Maria Isabel Franco
Institute of Cellular and Developmental Biology, Biomedical Sciences Research Centre Alexander Fleming, Vari 16672, Greece
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 108:3797-802. 2011
..These findings are inconsistent with a shape-only model for smell, and instead support the existence of a molecular vibration-sensing component to olfactory reception.
- Low-magnitude high-frequency vibration treatment augments fracture healing in ovariectomy-induced osteoporotic bone
Hong Fei Shi
Department of Orthopaedics and Traumatology, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shatin, Hong Kong SAR, China
Bone 46:1299-305. 2010
Fracture healing is impaired in osteoporotic bone. Low-magnitude high-frequency vibration (LMHFV) has recently been proven to be osteogenic in osteoporotic intact bone...
- A critical review of the neurophysiological evidence underlying clinical vestibular testing using sound, vibration and galvanic stimuli
Ian S Curthoys
Vestibular Research Laboratory, School of Psychology, A 18, The University of Sydney, Sydney, NSW 2006, Australia
Clin Neurophysiol 121:132-44. 2010
In addition to activating cochlear receptors, air conducted sound (ACS) and bone conducted vibration (BCV) activate vestibular otolithic receptors, as shown by neurophysiological evidence from animal studies--evidence which is the ..
- A differentially amplified motion in the ear for near-threshold sound detection
Oregon Hearing Research Center, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, Oregon, USA
Nat Neurosci 14:770-4. 2011
..We hypothesized that vibration at the apical side of hair cells is enhanced compared with that at the commonly measured basilar membrane side...
- Whole body vibration: a new therapeutic approach to improve muscle function in cystic fibrosis?
CF Center, Children s Hospital, University of Cologne, Cologne, Germany
Int J Rehabil Res 31:253-6. 2008
..The aim of this prospective pilot study was to evaluate the effects of whole body vibration (WBV) on muscle function in adult patients with CF...
- Acute changes in neuromuscular excitability after exhaustive whole body vibration exercise as compared to exhaustion by squatting exercise
Institut fur Physiologie, Freie Universitat Berlin, Arnimallee, Berlin, Germany
Clin Physiol Funct Imaging 23:81-6. 2003
The effects of hard squatting exercise with (VbX+) and without (VbX-) vibration on neuromuscular function were tested in 19 healthy young volunteers...
- Localization of the cochlear amplifier in living sensitive ears
Oregon Hearing Research Center, Department of Otolaryngology and Head and Neck Surgery, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, Oregon, United States of America
PLoS ONE 6:e20149. 2011
..Although the cochlear amplifier is thought to be a local cellular process at an area basal to the response peak on the spiral basilar membrane, its location has not been demonstrated experimentally...
- Effect of 8-month vertical whole body vibration on bone, muscle performance, and body balance: a randomized controlled study
Bone Research Group, UKK Institute, Tampere, Finland
J Bone Miner Res 18:876-84. 2003
Recent animal studies have given evidence that vibration loading may be an efficient and safe way to improve mass and mechanical competence of bone, thus providing great potential for preventing and treating osteoporosis...
- Vibration as an exercise modality: how it may work, and what its potential might be
Institute of Aerospace Medicine, German Aerospace Center, Linder Höhe 1, Koln, 51147, Germany
Eur J Appl Physiol 108:877-904. 2010
Whilst exposure to vibration is traditionally regarded as perilous, recent research has focussed on potential benefits. Here, the physical principles of forced oscillations are discussed in relation to vibration as an exercise modality...
- Cerebral representations for egocentric space: Functional-anatomical evidence from caloric vestibular stimulation and neck vibration
Laboratorio di Neuropsicologia, Dipartimento di Scienze Neurologiche, Ospedale Niguarda Ca Granda, Milan, Italy
Brain 124:1182-96. 2001
..of peripheral sensory systems, such as caloric vestibular stimulation (CVS), posterior neck muscle mechanical vibration (NV) and optokinetic stimulation, can induce a distortion of egocentric coordinates, causing, for example, a ..
- RANKL is downregulated in bone cells by physical activity (treadmill and vibration stimulation training) in rat with glucocorticoid-induced osteoporosis
Department of Pediatric and Adolescent Surgery, Medical University of Graz, Austria
Histol Histopathol 28:1185-96. 2013
..osteoporosis and to evaluate the outcomes of physical activity on the skeletal system by treadmill and vibration platform training...
- Vibration-induced auditory-cortex activation in a congenitally deaf adult
Brain Research Unit, Helsinki University of Technology, Espoo, Finland
Curr Biol 8:869-72. 1998
..also indicated that the auditory cortices were able to discriminate between the applied 180 Hz and 250 Hz vibration frequencies...
- Strength increase after whole-body vibration compared with resistance training
Exercise Physiology and Biomechanics Laboratory, Faculty of Physical Education and Physiotherapy, Department of Kinesiology, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium
Med Sci Sports Exerc 35:1033-41. 2003
The aim of this study was to investigate and to compare the effect of a 12-wk period of whole-body vibration training and resistance training on human knee-extensor strength.
- The impact of altered gravity and vibration on endothelial cells during a parabolic flight
Clinic for Plastic, Aesthetic and Hand Surgery, Otto von Guericke University Magdeburg, Magdeburg, Germany
Cell Physiol Biochem 31:432-51. 2013
- The effects of whole body vibration therapy on bone mineral density and leg muscle strength in older adults: a systematic review and meta-analysis
Ricky W K Lau
Department of Rehabilitation Sciences, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Kowloon, Hong Kong
Clin Rehabil 25:975-88. 2011
A systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials was undertaken to determine whether whole body vibration improves bone mineral density and leg muscle strength in older adults.
- Human skeletal muscle structure and function preserved by vibration muscle exercise following 55 days of bed rest
Department of Vegetative Anatomy, Center of Space Medicine Berlin, Neuromuscular Group, Charite University Medicine Berlin, Campus Benjamin Franklin, Arnimallee 22, 14195, Berlin, Germany
Eur J Appl Physiol 97:261-71. 2006
..In a 56-day horizontal bed rest campaign involving voluntary males we investigated the effects of vibration muscle exercise (RVE, 2x6 min daily) on the lower limb skeletal muscles using a newly designed foot plantar ..
- The remarkable cochlear amplifier
Department of Neuroscience, Physiology and Pharmacology and UCL Ear Institute, Gower Street, London WC1E 6BT, UK
Hear Res 266:1-17. 2010
..These experiments are presently lacking but if successfully performed would have an enormous impact on our understanding of the cochlear amplifier...
- Assessment of vibrotactile feedback on postural stability during pseudorandom multidirectional platform motion
Kathleen H Sienko
Department ofMechanical Engineering, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
IEEE Trans Biomed Eng 57:944-52. 2010
..However, the spatial resolution of the tactor displays did not affect subjects' performance, thereby supporting the use of a lower spatial resolution display in future device designs...
- Modification of soft tissue vibrations in the leg by muscular activity
J M Wakeling
Human Performance Laboratory, Faculty of Kinesiology, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada T2N 1N4
J Appl Physiol (1985) 90:412-20. 2001
b>Vibration characteristics were recorded for the soft tissues of the triceps surae, tibialis anterior, and quadriceps muscles...
- Addressing a systematic vibration artifact in diffusion-weighted MRI
Centre for Functional Magnetic Resonance Imaging of the Brain, John Radcliffe Hospital, University of Oxford, Oxford, United Kingdom
Hum Brain Mapp 31:193-202. 2010
..We also demonstrate that the artifact may be avoided by acquiring full k-space data, and that subsequent increases in TE can be avoided by employing parallel acceleration...
- Whole-body vibration as potential intervention for people with low bone mineral density and osteoporosis: a review
Julia O Totosy de Zepetnek
Department of Kinesiology, University of Waterloo, Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
J Rehabil Res Dev 46:529-42. 2009
..Whole-body vibration (WBV) has been examined as an intervention for maintaining or improving bone mass among people with low BMD, ..
- Prevention of postmenopausal bone loss by a low-magnitude, high-frequency mechanical stimuli: a clinical trial assessing compliance, efficacy, and safety
Department of Biomedical Engineering, State University of New York, Stony Brook, New York, USA
J Bone Miner Res 19:343-51. 2004
..2g, 30 Hz) vibration applied during quiet standing can effectively inhibit bone loss in the spine and femur, with efficacy increasing ..
- Oxygen uptake in whole-body vibration exercise: influence of vibration frequency, amplitude, and external load
Institut fur Physiologie, Freie Universitat Berlin, 14195 Berlin, Germany
Int J Sports Med 23:428-32. 2002
b>Vibration exercise (VbX) is a new type of physical training to increase muscle power. The present study was designed to assess the influence of whole-body VbX on metabolic power...
- Low-level, high-frequency mechanical signals enhance musculoskeletal development of young women with low BMD
Department of Radiology, Childrens Hospital of Los Angeles, University of Southern California, Keck School of Medicine, Los Angeles, California 90027, USA
J Bone Miner Res 21:1464-74. 2006
..Twelve months of this noninvasive signal, induced as whole body vibration for at least 2 minutes each day, increased bone and muscle mass in the axial skeleton and lower extremities ..
- Low-magnitude mechanical signals that stimulate bone formation in the ovariectomized rat are dependent on the applied frequency but not on the strain magnitude
Department of Biomedical Engineering, State University of New York at Stony Brook, Stony Brook, NY, USA
J Biomech 40:1333-9. 2007
..the strain magnitudes and strain rates induced by this frequency were significantly lower than during 45 Hz vibration, suggesting that factors other than matrix strain are driving the anabolic response...
- Enhancement of the adolescent murine musculoskeletal system using low-level mechanical vibrations
Dept of Biomedical Engineering, Psychology A, 3rd Floor, State Univ of New York at Stony Brook, Stony Brook, NY 11794 2580, USA
J Appl Physiol (1985) 104:1056-62. 2008
..were divided into three groups: baseline controls (BC, n = 8), age-matched controls (AC, n = 12), and whole body vibration (WBV, n = 12) at 45 Hz (0.3 g) for 15 min/day...
- Long term bed rest with and without vibration exercise countermeasures: effects on human muscle protein dysregulation
Dipartimento di Scienze e Tecnologie Biomediche, Universita degli Studi di Milano, Milano, Italy
Proteomics 10:3756-74. 2010
..Two separate studies were performed on six subjects without (BR) and six with resistive vibration exercise (RVE) countermeasures, respectively...
- Interleukin-6 expression under gravitational stress due to vibration and hypergravity in follicular thyroid cancer cells
Institute of Biomedicine, Pharmacology, Aarhus University, Aarhus, Denmark
PLoS ONE 8:e68140. 2013
..Parabolic flights and spaceflight in general are accompanied by transient hypergravity and vibration, which may impact the cells and therefore, have to be considered too...
- Whole-body vibration exercise leads to alterations in muscle blood volume
Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Clin Physiol 21:377-82. 2001
Occupationally used high-frequency vibration is supposed to have negative effects on blood flow and muscle strength...
- Anabolism. Low mechanical signals strengthen long bones
Musculo Skeletal Research Laboratory, Department of Biomedical Engineering, State University of New York, Stony Brook, New York 11794 2580, USA
Nature 412:603-4. 2001
..hindlimbs of adult sheep on a daily basis for a year with 20-minute bursts of very-low-magnitude, high-frequency vibration, the density of the spongy (trabecular) bone in the proximal femur is significantly increased (by 34...
- Cell phone based balance trainer
Beom Chan Lee
Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, USA
J Neuroeng Rehabil 9:10. 2012
- High-frequency and low-magnitude whole body vibration with rest days is more effective in improving skeletal micro-morphology and biomechanical properties in ovariectomised rodents
Department of Orthopaedics, First Hospital of Jilin University, Changchun, Jilin Province, China
Hip Int 22:218-26. 2012
..Mechanical vibration with 1-day rest (ML1R), with 3-day rest (ML3R), with 5-day rest (ML5R), with 7-day rest (ML7R), daily loading (..
- Effect of whole-body vibration on BMD: a systematic review and meta-analysis
Osteoporosis Program, University Health Network Mount Sinai Hospital, Toronto, ON, Canada
Osteoporos Int 21:1969-80. 2010
Our systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials (RCTs) examining whole-body vibration (WBV) effect on bone mineral density (BMD) found significant but small improvements in hip areal BMD (aBMD) in postmenopausal ..
- Prolonged vibration of the biceps brachii tendon reduces time to failure when maintaining arm position with a submaximal load
Carol J Mottram
Department of Integrative Physiology, University of Colorado, Boulder, CO 80309 0354, USA
J Neurophysiol 95:1185-93. 2006
b>Vibration reduces the amplitudes of the tendon jerk response and the Hoffmann and stretch reflexes in the muscle exposed to the vibration, yet does not alter the time to task failure when the task involves exerting a submaximal force ..
- Vibration response imaging as a new tool for interventional-bronchoscopy outcome assessment: a prospective pilot study
Heinrich D Becker
Department of Interdisciplinary Endoscopy, Thoraxklinik at Heidelberg University, Heidelberg, Germany
Respiration 77:179-94. 2009
..In many patients, the benefit of interventional bronchoscopy cannot be appropriately objectified...
- Effect of slow, small movement on the vibration-evoked kinesthetic illusion
P J Cordo
Neurological Sciences Institute, Oregon Health and Science University, 505 NW 185th Ave, Beaverton, OR 97006, USA
Exp Brain Res 167:324-34. 2005
The study reported in this paper investigated how vibration-evoked illusions of joint rotation are influenced by slow (0.3 degrees /s), small (2-4 degrees ) passive rotation of the joint...
- Efficacy of whole body vibration exercise in older people: a systematic review
Blanquerna School of Health Science, Universitat Ramon Llull, Barcelona, Spain
Disabil Rehabil 34:883-93. 2012
The aim of this study was to perform a systematic review of the literature on whole body vibration programs in older population and a meta-analysis of randomized controlled clinical trials.
- Molecular diagnostics reveal spiders that exploit prey vibrational signals used in sexual communication
Cardiff School of Biosciences, Cardiff University, Biomedical Sciences Building, Museum Avenue, Cardiff, CF10 3AX, UK
Mol Ecol 20:2204-16. 2011
..This may be a widespread mechanism for prey location, one that is likely to be a major unrecognized driver of evolution in both predators and prey...
- Feed-forward and feed-backward amplification model from cochlear cytoarchitecture: an interspecies comparison
Yong Jin Yoon
Department of Mechanical Engineering, Stanford University, Stanford, California, USA
Biophys J 100:1-10. 2011
..in vivo physiological measurements for the basilar membrane (BM) velocity, V(BM), frequency tuning of the BM vibration, and Q₁₀ values representing the sharpness of the cochlear tuning curves...
- Effects of whole body vibration on motor unit recruitment and threshold
Ross D Pollock
Centre of Human and Aerospace Physiological Sciences, King s College London, UK
J Appl Physiol (1985) 112:388-95. 2012
Whole body vibration (WBV) has been suggested to elicit reflex muscle contractions but this has never been verified. We recorded from 32 single motor units (MU) in the vastus lateralis of 7 healthy subjects (34 ± 15...
- Low back pain in drivers exposed to whole body vibration: analysis of a dose-response pattern
I J H Tiemessen
Coronel Institute of Occupational Health, Academic Medical Center AMC, Meibergdreef 9, PO Box 22700, 1100 DE Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Occup Environ Med 65:667-75. 2008
Analysis of a dose-response pattern between exposure to whole body vibration (WBV) and low back pain (LBP) in a group of drivers.
- Analysis of Vibrant Soundbridge placement against the round window membrane in a human cadaveric temporal bone model
Ronald J E Pennings
Division of Otolaryngology, Department of Surgery, Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Otol Neurotol 31:998-1003. 2010
..To evaluate optimal placement of the Floating Mass Transducer of the Vibrant Soundbridge (Med-El, Innsbruck, Austria) against the round window membrane, particularly the impact of interposed coupling fascia and of covering materials...
- Encoding of whisker vibration by rat barrel cortex neurons: implications for texture discrimination
Cognitive Neuroscience Sector, International School for Advanced Studies, 34014 Trieste, Italy
J Neurosci 23:9146-54. 2003
..a surface, the spatial frequency of a grooved or pebbled texture is converted to a temporal frequency of whisker vibration. Surface features such as groove depth or grain size modulate the amplitude of this vibration...
- Loads on a spinal implant measured in vivo during whole-body vibration
Julius Wolff Institut, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Augustenburger Platz 1, 13353, Berlin, Germany
Eur Spine J 19:1129-35. 2010
..Telemeterized devices were implanted in five patients; four of them agreed to exposure themselves to whole-body vibration. During the measurements, the patients sat on a driver seat fixed to a hexapod...
- Effects of whole body vibration training in patients with severe chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Department, Mataró Hospital, Mataro, Spain
Respirology 18:1028-34. 2013
To determine if whole body vibration training (WBVT) improves muscular force and modifies functional capacity parameters in patients with severe chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD).
- Low-magnitude high-frequency vibration accelerates callus formation, mineralization, and fracture healing in rats
Kwok Sui Leung
Department of Orthopaedics and Traumatology, Prince of Wales Hospital, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shatin, New Territories, Hong Kong SAR, People s Republic of China
J Orthop Res 27:458-65. 2009
..This study investigated the osteogenic effect of low-magnitude high-frequency vibration (LMHFV, 35 Hz, 0...
- Effect of bone-conducted vibration of the midline forehead (Fz) in unilateral vestibular loss (uVL). Evidence for a new indicator of unilateral otolithic function
MSA, ENT Academy Center, Cassino, Italy
Acta Otorhinolaryngol Ital 30:175. 2010
..myogenic potentials recorded by surface electrodes on the skin beneath the eyes in response to bone-conducted vibration (BCV) delivered to the forehead at the hairline in the midline (Fz)...
- Low-level vibrations retain bone marrow's osteogenic potential and augment recovery of trabecular bone during reambulation
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Stony Brook University, Stony Brook, New York, USA
PLoS ONE 5:e11178. 2010
..These data indicate that the osteogenic potential of bone marrow cells is retained by low-magnitude vibrations during disuse, an attribute which may have contributed to an enhanced recovery of bone morphology during reambulation...
- Effects of combined whole-body vibration and resistance training on muscular strength and bone metabolism in postmenopausal women
Debra A Bemben
Bone Density Research Laboratory, Department of Health and Exercise Science, University of Oklahoma, Norman, OK 73019, USA
Bone 47:650-6. 2010
Whole-body vibration (WBV) has been shown to be osteogenic in animal models; however, its application in humans is not clear...
- The role of nitric oxide in skin blood flow increases due to vibration in healthy adults and adults with type 2 diabetes
Department of Physical Therapy, Loma Linda University, California 92350, USA
Diabetes Technol Ther 11:39-43. 2009
..in skin blood flow and nitric oxide (NO) production in young healthy adults in response to externally applied vibration of the forearm...
- Pacinian representations of fine surface texture
University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, North Carolina, USA
Percept Psychophys 67:842-54. 2005
..Our results further suggested that the textural information conveyed by the Pacinian system concerns surface roughness and, possibly, stickiness...
- Harbor seal vibrissa morphology suppresses vortex-induced vibrations
Institute for Biosciences, Department of Sensory and Cognitive Ecology, Marine Science Center, University of Rostock, 18059 Rostock, Germany
J Exp Biol 213:2665-72. 2010
..The results are discussed in the light of pinniped sensory biology and potential biomimetic applications...
- A review of the scientific basis and practical application of a new test of utricular function--ocular vestibular-evoked myogenic potentials to bone-conducted vibration
I S Curthoys
Vestibular Research Laboratory, School of Psychology, The University of Sydney, NSW, Australia
Acta Otorhinolaryngol Ital 29:179-86. 2009
This is a review of recently published papers showing that bone-conducted vibration of the head causes linear acceleration stimulation of both inner ears and this linear acceleration is an effective way of selectively activating ..
- Longitudinal pattern of basilar membrane vibration in the sensitive cochlea
Oregon Hearing Research Center NRC 04, Department of Otolaryngology and Head and Neck Surgery, Oregon Health and Science University, 3181 Southwest Sam Jackson Park Road, Portland, OR 97239 3098, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 99:17101-6. 2002
..mammalian ear, sound vibrates the eardrum, causing the tiny bones of the middle ear to vibrate, transferring the vibration to the inner ear fluids...
- Mechanical characteristics of rat vibrissae: resonant frequencies and damping in isolated whiskers and in the awake behaving animal
Mitra J Hartmann
Jet Propulsion Laboratory, California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, California 91109, USA
J Neurosci 23:6510-9. 2003
..The best estimate for Young's modulus was approximately 3-4 GPa. Results of both vibration and impulse experiments showed that the whiskers are strongly damped, with damping ratios between 0.11 and 0.17...
- Bone cell responses to high-frequency vibration stress: does the nucleus oscillate within the cytoplasm?
Rommel G Bacabac
Department of Oral Cell Biology, Academic Centre for Dentistry Amsterdam Universiteit van Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
FASEB J 20:858-64. 2006
..However, how bone cells sense vibration stress is unknown...
- A combinatorial semaphorin code instructs the initial steps of sensory circuit assembly in the Drosophila CNS
The Solomon H Snyder Department of Neuroscience, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Neuron 70:281-98. 2011
..These results reveal that distinct semaphorin-mediated guidance functions converge at PlexB and are critical for functional neural circuit assembly...
- Simple screening tests for peripheral neuropathy in the diabetes clinic
B A Perkins
Beth Israel Deaconness Medical Center and Joslin Diabetes Center, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Diabetes Care 24:250-6. 2001
..four simple tests (the 10-g Semmes-Weinstein monofilament examination [SWME], superficial pain sensation, vibration testing by the on-off method, and vibration testing by the timed method) in 478 subjects with independent ..
- Locomotor-like movements evoked by leg muscle vibration in humans
V S Gurfinkel
Laboratory of Neurobiology of Motor Control, Institute for Information Transmission Problems, Russian Academy of Sciences, Moscow, Russia
Eur J Neurosci 10:1608-12. 1998
..It was found that continuous leg muscle vibration produced rhythmic locomotor-like stepping movements of the suspended leg, persisting up to the end of ..
- Effect of long-term whole body vibration training on visceral adipose tissue: a preliminary report
Department of Health Sciences Physiotherapy, University College of Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium
Obes Facts 3:93-100. 2010
To determine the effect of whole body vibration (WBV), combined with caloric restriction, on weight, body composition and metabolic risk factors in overweight and obese adults.
- Effects of whole body vibration in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease--a randomized controlled trial
Department of Respiratory Medicine, Schoen Klinik Hospital, Schoenau am Koenigssee, Germany
Respir Med 106:75-83. 2012
..There is an unmet need for further research in new and complementary exercise modalities. Additional whole body vibration training during pulmonary rehabilitation may be such a new approach that has not yet been investigated in ..
- Reporting whole-body vibration intervention studies: recommendations of the International Society of Musculoskeletal and Neuronal Interactions
Shriners Hospital for Children and Research Center, Sainte Justine University Hospital Center, Montreal, Canada
J Musculoskelet Neuronal Interact 10:193-8. 2010
Whole-body vibration (WBV) is receiving increasing interest as a therapeutic modality to improve neuromuscular performance or to increase bone mass or density...
- Resonators in insect sound production: how insects produce loud pure-tone songs
H C Bennet-Clark
Department of Zoology, University of Oxford, South Parks Road, Oxford OX1 3PS, UK
J Exp Biol 202:3347-57. 1999
In a resonant vibration, two reactive elements, such as a mass and a spring, interact: the resonant frequency depends on the magnitude of these two elements...
- Acute whole body vibration training increases vertical jump and flexibility performance in elite female field hockey players
D J Cochrane
Massey University, Sport and Exercise, Palmerston North, New Zealand
Br J Sports Med 39:860-5. 2005
To quantify the acute effect of whole body vibration (WBV) training on arm countermovement vertical jump (ACMVJ), grip strength, and flexibility performance.
- Effect of low-magnitude, high-frequency vibration on osteocytes in the regulation of osteoclasts
Institute of Biomaterials and Biomedical Engineering, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, Canada
Bone 46:1508-15. 2010
..Recently, low-magnitude, high-frequency (LMHF) vibration (e.g., acceleration less than <1 x g, where g=9...
- Botulinum toxin changes intrafusal feedback in dystonia: a study with the tonic vibration reflex
Dipartimento di Neuroscienze, Oftalmologia e Genetica, Universita di Genova, Italia
Mov Disord 21:777-82. 2006
..between pre- and postinjection values of maximal M-wave (M-max), maximal voluntary contraction (MVC), and tonic vibration reflex (TVR) were measured in the injected muscles (wrist flexors or extensors)...
- Dentist's hand symptoms and high-frequency vibration
Instytut Medycyny Wsi, Jaczewskiego 2, P.O.Box 185, 20-950 Lublin, Poland
Ann Agric Environ Med 8:7-10. 2001
The paper discusses characteristics of mechanical vibration as well as the mechanisms of vibration syndrome...
- Vibrotactile adaptation impairs discrimination of fine, but not coarse, textures
Department of Psychology, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill 27599, USA
Somatosens Mot Res 18:253-62. 2001
..The surfaces were rectilinear arrays of pyramids produced by etching of silicon wafers. Adaptation to 100-Hz vibration severely hampered discrimination of surfaces with spatial periods below 100 microm (Experiment 1), but had ..
- Beyond sensory substitution--learning the sixth sense
Saskia K Nagel
Institute of Cognitive Science, Albrechtstr 28, Universitat Osnabruck, 49069 Osnabruck, Germany
J Neural Eng 2:R13-26. 2005
..These data support the hypothesis that new sensorimotor contingencies can be learned and integrated into behaviour and affect perceptual experience...
- The role of fingerprints in the coding of tactile information probed with a biomimetic sensor
Laboratoire de Physique Statistique de l Ecole Normale Superieure, CNRS UMR 8550, Associé aux Universités Paris 6 et Paris 7, 24 rue Lhomond, 75231 Paris Cedex 05, France
Science 323:1503-6. 2009
..Thus, fingerprints may perform spectral selection and amplification of tactile information that facilitate its processing by specific mechanoreceptors...
- Effects of short-term vibration and hypoxia during high-intensity cycling exercise on circulating levels of angiogenic regulators in humans
Institute of Training Science and Sport Informatics, German Sport Univ Cologne, Koln, Germany
J Appl Physiol (1985) 103:474-83. 2007
This study aimed to investigate the biological response to hypoxia as a stimulus, as well as exercise- and vibration-induced shear stress, which is known to induce angiogenesis. Twelve male cyclists (27.8 +/- 5...
- Evidence for the duplex theory of tactile texture perception
Department of Psychology, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill 27599, USA
Percept Psychophys 62:695-705. 2000
- Adipogenesis is inhibited by brief, daily exposure to high-frequency, extremely low-magnitude mechanical signals
C T Rubin
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Stony Brook University, Stony Brook, NY 11794, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:17879-84. 2007
..Translated to the human, this may represent the basis for the nonpharmacologic prevention of obesity and its sequelae, achieved through developmental, rather than metabolic, pathways...
- Tuning and sensitivity of the human vestibular system to low-frequency vibration
Neil P McAngus Todd
Faculty of Life Science, Jacksons Mill, University of Manchester, Manchester M60 1QD, UK
Neurosci Lett 444:36-41. 2008
..a remarkable sensitivity to displacement, whether excited by sound, whole-body acceleration or substrate-borne vibration. In response to seismic or substrate-borne vibration, thresholds for vestibular afferent fibre activation have ..
- Low-level accelerations applied in the absence of weight bearing can enhance trabecular bone formation
Department of Biomedical Engineering, State University of New York at Stony Brook, Stony Brook, NY 11794 2580, USA
J Orthop Res 25:732-40. 2007
- Transmissibility of 15-hertz to 35-hertz vibrations to the human hip and lumbar spine: determining the physiologic feasibility of delivering low-level anabolic mechanical stimuli to skeletal regions at greatest risk of fracture because of osteoporosis
Department of Biomedical Engineering, State University of New York at Stony Brook, Stony Brook, NY 11794 2580, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 28:2621-7. 2003
Experiments were undertaken to determine the degree to which high-frequency (15-35 Hz) ground-based, whole-body vibration are transmitted to the proximal femur and lumbar vertebrae of the standing human.
- Insights from the conduct of a device trial in older persons: low magnitude mechanical stimulation for musculoskeletal health
Douglas P Kiel
Institute for Aging Research, Boston, MA, USA
Clin Trials 7:354-67. 2010
..Alternatives to pharmacologic treatment are needed for older adults. Nonpharmacologic treatment with low magnitude, high frequency mechanical stimulation has been shown to prevent bone loss in animal and human studies...
- Low-level mechanical vibrations can influence bone resorption and bone formation in the growing skeleton
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Psychology A, 3rd Floor, State University of New York at Stony Brook, Stony Brook, NY 11794 2580, USA
Bone 39:1059-66. 2006
..BALB/cByJ mice were divided into four groups, baseline control (n = 8), age-matched control (n = 10), whole-body vibration (WBV) at 45 Hz (0...
- Reduction of postural sway by use of a vibrotactile balance prosthesis prototype in subjects with vestibular deficits
Department of Otology and Laryngology and the Jenks Vestibular Diagnostic Laboratory Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infumary, Harvard Medical School, Boston 02114, USA
Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 112:404-9. 2003
..The resulting tilt estimate was displayed by a vibrotactile array attached to the torso. The vibration served as tilt feedback to the subject...
- Reverse propagation of sound in the gerbil cochlea
Oregon Hearing Research Center, Department of Otolaryngology and Head and Neck Surgery, Oregon Health and Science University, 3181 SW Sam Jackson Park Road, NRC 04, Portland, Oregon 97239 3098, USA
Nat Neurosci 7:333-4. 2004
..These results contradict the current theory and show that the ear emits sounds through the cochlear fluids as compression waves rather than along the basilar membrane as backward-traveling waves...
- Effects of random whole-body vibration on postural control in Parkinson's disease
Institute of Sport Sciences, Johann Wolfgang Goethe University, Frankfurt Main, Germany
Res Sports Med 13:243-56. 2005
We investigated spontaneous effects of random whole-body vibration (rWBV) on postural control in Parkinsonian subjects...
- Tool use changes multisensory interactions in seconds: evidence from the crossmodal congruency task
Nicholas P Holmes
Department of Experimental Psychology, University of Oxford, South Parks Road, Oxford OX1 3UD, UK
Exp Brain Res 183:465-76. 2007
..Such enhancements are likely due to the increased behavioural relevance of visual stimuli as each tool use action is prepared before execution...
- Vibrotaction and texture perception
Department of Psychology, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC 27599, USA
Behav Brain Res 135:51-6. 2002
..For example, eliminating vibration by preventing movement of a stimulus surface across the skin compromises psychophysical scaling and ..
- Effects of low-frequency whole-body vibration on motor-evoked potentials in healthy men
Katya N Mileva
Sport and Exercise Science Research Centre, Faculty of Engineering, Science and the Built Environment, London South Bank University, 103 Borough Road, London SE1 0AA, UK
Exp Physiol 94:103-16. 2009
The aim of this study was to determine whether low-frequency whole-body vibration (WBV) modulates the excitability of the corticospinal and intracortical pathways related to tibialis anterior (TA) muscle activity, thus contributing to ..
- Resistive vibration exercise attenuates bone and muscle atrophy in 56 days of bed rest: biochemical markers of bone metabolism
Zentrum für Muskel und Knochenforschung, Charite Campus Benjamin Franklin, Berlin, Germany
Osteoporos Int 21:597-607. 2010
During and after prolonged bed rest, changes in bone metabolic markers occur within 3 days. Resistive vibration exercise during bed rest impedes bone loss and restricts increases in bone resorption markers whilst increasing bone formation.
- Effects of whole body vibration on bone mineral density and falls: results of the randomized controlled ELVIS study with postmenopausal women
S von Stengel
Institute of Medical Physics, University of Erlangen, Henkestr 91, 91052, Erlangen, Germany
Osteoporos Int 22:317-25. 2011
..We determined whether the effect of exercise on bone mineral density (BMD) and falls can be enhanced by whole body vibration (WBV)...
- Impaired vibration of auditory ossicles in osteopetrotic mice
Department of Otolaryngology, School of Medicine, Keio University, Tokyo, Japan
Am J Pathol 178:1270-8. 2011
..Little is known about whether and how bone-resorbing osteoclasts play a role in the vibration of auditory ossicles...
- Measurement of cochlear power gain in the sensitive gerbil ear
Department of Otolaryngology and Head and Neck Surgery, Oregon Hearing Research Center, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, Oregon 97239, USA
Nat Commun 2:216. 2011
..to determine the volume displacement and volume velocity of the cochlear partition by measuring its transverse vibration along and across the partition...
- Correction of vibration artifacts in DTI using phase-encoding reversal (COVIPER)
Wellcome Trust Centre for Neuroimaging, UCL Institute of Neurology, University College London, United Kingdom
Magn Reson Med 68:882-9. 2012
..We refined the model of vibration-induced echo shifts, showing that asymmetric k-space coverage in widely used Partial Fourier acquisitions ..
- Inducing any virtual two-dimensional movement in humans by applying muscle tendon vibration
Jean Pierre Roll
Laboratoire de Neurobiologie Humaine, UMR 6149 CNRS, Universite de Provence, Pole 3C, Case B, 3 Place Victor Hugo, 13331 Marseille Cedex 03, France
J Neurophysiol 101:816-23. 2009
In humans, tendon vibration evokes illusory sensation of movement...
- The endocochlear potential alters cochlear micromechanics
Center for Hearing and Communication Research, Karolinska Institutet, Department of Clinical Neuroscience, M1 Karolinska University Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden
Biophys J 100:2586-94. 2011
..We conclude that the endogenous polarization of scala media affects the function of the hearing organ by altering its geometry, mechanical and electrical properties...
- Symptom scoring systems to diagnose distal polyneuropathy in diabetes: the Diabetic Neuropathy Symptom score
J W G Meijer
Rehabilitation CentreTolbrug Jeroen Bosch Hospital, Den Bosch, The Netherlands
Diabet Med 19:962-5. 2002
..We validated a new four-item Diabetic Neuropathy Symptom (DNS) score for diagnosing distal diabetic polyneuropathy...
- Electric field generated by axial longitudinal vibration modes of microtubule
Institute of Photonics and Electronics, Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic, Czech Republic
Biosystems 100:122-31. 2010
..We calculated electric field generated by axial longitudinal vibration modes of microtubules for random, and coherent excitation...
- Effects of vibration treatment on tibial bone of ovariectomized rats analyzed by in vivo micro-CT
Julienne E M Brouwers
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Eindhoven University of Technology, P O Box 513, 5600 MB Eindhoven, The Netherlands
J Orthop Res 28:62-9. 2010
Daily low-amplitude, high-frequency whole-body vibration (WBV) treatment can increase bone formation rates and bone volume in rodents...
- Reverse wave propagation in the cochlea
Oregon Hearing Research Center, Department of Otolaryngology and Head and Neck Surgery, Oregon Health and Science University, 3181 Southwest Sam Jackson Park Road, NRC04, Portland, OR 97239 3098, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 105:2729-33. 2008
..Here, we show that BM vibration amplitude and phase at the DP frequency are very similar to responses evoked by external tones...
- The location of the cochlear amplifier: spatial representation of a single tone on the guinea pig basilar membrane
I J Russell
School of Biological Sciences, University of Sussex, Falmer Brighton, United Kingdom
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 94:2660-4. 1997
..We estimate that the site of amplification for the 15 kHz region is restricted to a 1.25 mm length of basilar membrane centered on the 15 kHz place...
- Low-magnitude high-frequency vibration (LMHFV) enhances bone remodeling in osteoporotic rat femoral fracture healing
Dick Ho Kiu Chow
Department of Orthopaedics and Traumatology, Prince of Wales Hospital, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, 5 F, Clinical Science Building, Shatin, New Territories, Hong Kong SAR, People s Republic of China
J Orthop Res 29:746-52. 2011
Low-magnitude high-frequency vibration (LMHFV) (35 Hz, 0.3 g) accelerates fracture healing by enhancing callus formation and mineralization for both normal and osteoporotic rats in our previous studies...
- Effects of 5 minutes of neck-muscle vibration immediately before occupational therapy on unilateral spatial neglect
Faculty of Medicine, Department of Rehabilitation and Physical Medicine, Kagoshima University, Makizono cho, Kagoshima, Japan
Disabil Rehabil 33:2322-8. 2011
To evaluate the effects of neck-muscle vibration for 5 min before occupational therapy (OT) on unilateral spatial neglect (USN).
- Resistive vibration exercise reduces lower limb muscle atrophy during 56-day bed-rest
D L Belavý
Center for Muscle and Bone Research, Charite Campus Benjamin Franklin, Free University and Humboldt University Berlin, Berlin, Germany
J Musculoskelet Neuronal Interact 9:225-35. 2009
The current study aimed to examine the effectiveness of a resistive vibration exercise countermeasure during prolonged bed-rest in preventing lower-limb muscle atrophy.