- Physical and mechanical properties of an experimental dental composite based on a new monomer
Iran Polymer and Petrochemical Institute IPPI, P O Box 14965 115 Tehran, Iran
Dent Mater 20:663-8. 2004
- Effect of LED light-curing on the relative hardness of tooth-colored restorative materials
Department of Operative Dentistry, Faculty of Dentistry, Cairo University, Cairo, Egypt
Oper Dent 34:65-71. 2009
To determine the relative hardness of GI-based restorative materials using both LED and QTH curing lights at different post-irradiation intervals.
- Graphene oxide papers modified by divalent ions-enhancing mechanical properties via chemical cross-linking
Department of Mechanical Engineering, Northwestern University, 2145 Sheridan Road, Evanston, Illinois 60208 3111, USA
ACS Nano 2:572-8. 2008
..While oxygen functional groups on the basal planes of the sheets and the carboxylate groups on the edges can both bond to Mg(2+) and Ca(2+), the main contribution to mechanical enhancement of the paper comes from the latter...
- Structural hierarchies define toughness and defect-tolerance despite simple and mechanically inferior brittle building blocks
Laboratory for Atomistic and Molecular Mechanics, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, 77 Massachusetts Ave Room 1 235A and B, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA
Sci Rep 1:35. 2011
..This presents a significant departure from the defect-tolerance of the base material, silica, which is brittle and highly sensitive even to extremely small nanometer-scale defects...
- The effect of pH on surface hardness and microstructure of mineral trioxide aggregate
M S Namazikhah
Private Practice, Beverly Hills, CA, USA
Int Endod J 41:108-16. 2008
..In addition, the morphological microstructure features of samples were studied by scanning electron microscopy (SEM)...
- Materials design principles of ancient fish armour
Benjamin J F Bruet
Department of Materials Science and Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 77 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02139, USA
Nat Mater 7:748-56. 2008
- Atomic analysis and knoop hardness measurement of the cavity floor prepared by Er,Cr:YSGG laser irradiation in vitro
Department of Endodontics, School of Dentistry, Showa University, Ohta ku, Tokyo
J Oral Rehabil 30:515-21. 2003
In the present study, the compositional changes and knoop hardness of the cavity floor prepared by Er,Cr:YSGG laser irradiation was compared with that of the conventional bur cavity...
- Changes in hardness of the human elbow flexor muscles after eccentric exercise
Institute of Physical Education, Keio University, Yokohama, Japan
Eur J Appl Physiol 82:361-7. 2000
The purpose of this study was to investigate changes in muscle hardness after eccentric exercise of the elbow flexors muscles that produce muscle shortening and swelling...
- Nanoindentation hardness of mineralized tissues
Michelle L Oyen
Department of Biophysical Sciences and Medical Physics, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN 55455, USA
J Biomech 39:2699-702. 2006
A series elastic and plastic deformation model [Sakai, M., 1999. The Meyer hardness: a measure for plasticity? Journal of Materials Research 14(9), 3630-3639] is used to deconvolute the resistance to plastic deformation from the plane ..
- Functional ecology and evolution of hominoid molar enamel thickness: Pan troglodytes schweinfurthii and Pongo pygmaeus wurmbii
Erin R Vogel
Department of Anthropology, 1156 High Street, University of California Santa Cruz, CA 95064, United States
J Hum Evol 55:60-74. 2008
..paradigm for examining the adaptive form-function relationship between molar enamel thickness and food hardness. Although both species exhibit a categorical preference for ripe fruit over other food objects, the thick enamel ..
- Physical mapping and a new variant of Puroindoline b-2 genes in wheat
Henan Agricultural University, Zhengzhou, China
Theor Appl Genet 120:745-51. 2010
..The discovery of Pinb-2v4 and the mapping of all four variants will contribute to a better understanding of gene duplication events in wheat and their bearing on wheat kernel texture and grain utilization...
- Influence of curing method, sealer, and water storage on the hardness of a soft lining material over time
G L Polyzois
Department of Removable Prosthodontics, University of Athens, Dental School, 2 Thivon Street, 115 27 Athens, Greece
J Prosthodont 10:42-5. 2001
The purpose of this study was to determine the hardness of plasticized acrylic resin soft lining materials over time when curing procedures were modified and when surface sealers were either used or omitted.
- Effect of fluoride varnish and gel on dental erosion in primary and permanent teeth
Department of Orthodontics and Pediatric Dentistry, School of Dentistry, University of Sao Paulo, Av Lineu Prestes, 2227, 05508 000 Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
Arch Oral Biol 54:997-1001. 2009
..To assess the effect of a fluoride varnish and gel on the erosive wear of primary and permanent teeth...
- Effects of storage temperature on surface hardness, microstructure, and phase formation of white mineral trioxide aggregate
Mohammad Ali Saghiri
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Science and Research Branch, Islamic Azad University, Tehran, Iran
J Endod 36:1414-8. 2010
- Evaluation of the Shore A hardness of silicone for facial prosthesis as to the effect of storage period and chemical disinfection
Aimée Maria Guiotti
Department of Dental Materials and Prosthodontics, Santa Fé do Sul Dental School, Faculdades Integradas de Santa Fé do Sul, Santa Fé do Sul, Brazil
J Craniofac Surg 21:323-7. 2010
..Therefore, this study evaluated the Shore A hardness of silicone used for fabrication of facial prostheses, Silastic MDX4-4210, according to the influence of storage ..
- Comparison of photo-activation versus chemical or dual-curing of resin-based luting cements regarding flexural strength, modulus and surface hardness
Department of Operative Dentistry and Periodontology, Bavarian Julius Maximilians University of Würzburg, Germany
J Oral Rehabil 28:1022-8. 2001
..only CC) were prepared and tested after 24 h for flexural strength, modulus of elasticity (ISO 4049) and surface hardness (Vickers)...
- Surface hardness impairment of quorum sensing and swarming for Pseudomonas aeruginosa
Nachiket G Kamatkar
Department of Civil Engineering and Geological Sciences, University of Notre Dame, Notre Dame, Indiana, United States of America
PLoS ONE 6:e20888. 2011
..This suggests that quorum sensing on surfaces is controlled in a manner that is not solely population dependent...
- Effect of light-curing method on wear and hardness of composite resin
Ibrahim M Hammouda
Faculty of Dentistry, Mansoura University, Department of Dental Biomaterials, Mansoura, Egypt
J Mech Behav Biomed Mater 3:216-22. 2010
..Weight loss was recorded using a conventional Tribometer (mg). Specimens cured using LED showed greater hardness and less wear compared to conventional VLC-cured specimens under comparable test conditions...
- Measurements of attenuation coefficient for evaluating the hardness of a cataract lens by a high-frequency ultrasonic needle transducer
Chih Chung Huang
Department of Electronic Engineering, Fu Jen Catholic University, Taipei 24205, Taiwan, Republic of China
Phys Med Biol 54:5981-94. 2009
..for treating cataracts, and determining that the optimal phacoemulsification energy is dependent on measuring the hardness of the lens...
- Wear characteristics of current aesthetic dental restorative CAD/CAM materials: two-body wear, gloss retention, roughness and Martens hardness
Werner H Mörmann
Department of Computer Assisted Restorative Dentistry, Center of Dental Medicine, University of Zurich, Plattenstrasse 11, 8032 Zurich, Switzerland
J Mech Behav Biomed Mater 20:113-25. 2013
..wear and toothbrushing wear parameters, including gloss and roughness measurements and additionally Martens hardness, of nine aesthetic CAD/CAM materials, one direct resin-based nanocomposite plus that of human enamel as a control ..
- Effect of repeated cycles of chemical disinfection on the roughness and hardness of hard reline acrylic resins
Luciana de Rezende Pinto
Department of Prosthodontics, Bauru School of Dentistry, University of Sao Paulo, Bauru, SP, Brazil
Gerodontology 27:147-53. 2010
The aim of this study was to assess the effect of repeated cycles of five chemical disinfectant solutions on the roughness and hardness of three hard chairside reliners.
- Long-term antibacterial effects and physical properties of a chlorhexidine-containing glass ionomer cement
L Sebnem Türkün
Department of Restorative Dentistry and Endodontics, Ege University, School of Dentistry, Izmir, Turkey
J Esthet Restor Dent 20:29-44; discussion 45. 2008
..For restorative techniques used in these regions, an antibacterial self-adherent glass ionomer material would contribute considerably...
- Reliability and validity of quantifying absolute muscle hardness using ultrasound elastography
Department of Life Sciences Sports Sciences, Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, The University of Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan
PLoS ONE 7:e45764. 2012
Muscle hardness is a mechanical property that represents transverse muscle stiffness...
- NovaMin and dentin hypersensitivity--in vitro evidence of efficacy
NovaMin Technology Inc, Alachua, FL, USA
J Clin Dent 21:66-71. 2010
..The objective of this study was to determine the ability of a calcium sodium phosphosilicate (NovaMin) particulate to occlude dentin tubules, and to characterize the nature of the occlusion through a number of in vitro studies...
- Silorane-based dental composite: behavior and abilities
Department of Restorative Dentistry, Dental School of the Ludwig Maximilians University, Munich, Germany
Dent Mater J 25:445-54. 2006
..Degree of conversion at 2-mm and 6-mm depths as well as hardness, modulus of elasticity, and creep resistance through the middle of 6-mm high samples were measured...
- Correlation of bottom-to-top surface microhardness and conversion ratios for a variety of resin composite compositions
Murray R Bouschlicher
Department of Operative Dentistry, College of Dentistry, The University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA, USA
Oper Dent 29:698-704. 2004
..Cure and hardness data were analyzed with one- and two-way ANOVAs followed by the Tukey-Kramer post-hoc test...
- Human iliac crest cancellous bone elastic modulus and hardness differ with bone formation rate per bone surface but not by existence of prevalent vertebral fracture
Lawrence J Ellison Musculoskeletal Research Center, University of California Davis Medical Center, Room 2000, Research Facility I, 4635 Second Avenue, Sacramento, California 95817, USA
J Biomed Mater Res B Appl Biomater 85:68-77. 2008
The goals of this study were to measure tissue-level elastic moduli and hardness of human cancellous bone using nanoindentation, and determine the relationship between nanoindentation results and previously measured bone histomorphometric ..
- Food hardness as environmental factor in development of type 2 diabetes
Department of Geriatric Medicine, Osaka University Graduate School of Medicine, 2 2 Yamadaoka, Suita, Osaka 565 0871, Japan
Diabetes Res Clin Pract 74:1-7. 2006
The effect of hardness of the diet as an environmental factor on the development of diabetes was investigated in a mouse model of type 2 diabetes. NSY and control C3H/He mice were fed several types of dietary chow from 4 weeks of age...
- Nonlinear material behaviour of spider silk yields robust webs
Steven W Cranford
Laboratory for Atomistic and Molecular Mechanics, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 77 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02139, USA
Nature 482:72-6. 2012
..The superior performance of silk in webs is therefore not due merely to its exceptional ultimate strength and strain, but arises from the nonlinear response of silk threads to strain and their geometrical arrangement in a web...
- Potential agents to control enamel caries-like lesions
F C Rehder Neto
Department of Restorative Dentistry, School of Dentistry of Ribeirao Preto, University of Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
J Dent 37:786-90. 2009
..To assess whether pastes containing casein phosphopeptide-amorphous calcium phosphate (CPP-ACP) and calcium sodium phosphosilicate (CSP) control artificial caries lesion progression...
- Effect of irradiation type (LED or QTH) on photo-activated composite shrinkage strain kinetics, temperature rise, and hardness
Department of Operative Dentistry and Periodontology, Bavarian Julius Maximilians University of Würzburg, Wurzburg, Germany
Eur J Oral Sci 110:471-9. 2002
..Surface hardness (Knoop) at the bottom of 1...
- Scanning electron micrograph and surface hardness of mineral trioxide aggregate in the presence of alkaline pH
Mohammad Ali Saghiri
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Islamic Azad University Science and Research Branch, Azad University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
J Endod 35:706-10. 2009
The aim of this study was to evaluate morphologic microstructure and surface hardness of white mineral trioxide aggregate (WMTA) after exposure to a range of alkaline environments during hydration.
- Light transmission through fiber post: the effect on adhesion, elastic modulus and hardness of dual-cure resin cement
Clinic for Pediatric and Preventive Dentistry, Faculty of Dentistry, University of Belgrade, Dr Subotica 11, Beograd 11000, Serbia
Dent Mater 25:837-44. 2009
..this study was to investigate the effect of fiber post light transmitting ability to the continuity of resin cement-root dentin (C-RD) and resin cement-fiber post (C-FP) interface, elastic modulus and hardness of a dual-cure resin cement.
- The RNA-mediated silencing of one of the Pin genes in allohexaploid wheat simultaneously decreases the expression of the other, and increases grain hardness
Plant Transformation and Cell Engineering Department, Plant Breeding and Acclimatization Institute National Research Institute, Radzikow, 05 870 Blonie, Poland
J Exp Bot 62:4025-36. 2011
..or lack of both puroindoline proteins in the silenced lines correlated with an essential increase in grain hardness. The discussion covers some new insights into the function of the Pin genes, including the simultaneous silencing ..
- Respective roles of organic and mineral components of human cortical bone matrix in micromechanical behavior: an instrumented indentation study
INSERM, UMR1033, F 69008 Lyon, France
J Mech Behav Biomed Mater 4:1473-82. 2011
..of known DMB were indented with relatively high load (~500 mN) to determine local elastic modulus (E), contact hardness (H(c)) and true hardness (H) of several bone lamellae...
- Fluoride uptake and development of artificial erosions in bleached and fluoridated enamel in vitro
G M Burgmaier
Department of Operative Dentistry, Preventive Dentistry and Periodontology, University of Gottingen, Gottingen, Germany
J Oral Rehabil 29:799-804. 2002
..It is concluded that it is not feasible to improve fluoride uptake in enamel with a pre-treatment with 10% CP...
- Radiodensity and hardness of enamel and dentin of human and bovine teeth, varying bovine teeth age
R B Fonseca
Health Sciences Center, Department of Restorative Dentistry, State University of Londrina, R Pernambuco 540, Londrina 86020 120, PR, Brazil
Arch Oral Biol 53:1023-9. 2008
..The aim of this study was to evaluate the radiodensity and hardness of human and bovine enamel and dentin, varying bovine teeth age...
- Maize kernel hardness classification by near infrared (NIR) hyperspectral imaging and multivariate data analysis
Department of Food Science, Stellenbosch University, Private Bag X1, Matieland Stellenbosch, 7602, South Africa
Anal Chim Acta 653:121-30. 2009
..18. The sisuChema image yielded RMSEP value of 0.29. The reproducible results obtained with the different data sets indicate that the method proposed in this paper has a real potential for future classification uses...
- High power light emitting diode (LED) arrays versus halogen light polymerization of oral biomaterials: Barcol hardness, compressive strength and radiometric properties
Robin W Mills
Department of Oral and Dental Science, University of Bristol, UK
Biomaterials 23:2955-63. 2002
..This study investigates the Barcol hardness as a function of depth, and the compressive strength of dental composites that had been polymerized for 40 or 20s ..
- Indentation as a technique to assess the mechanical properties of fallback foods
Peter W Lucas
Department of Anthropology, Center for the Advanced Study of Human Paleobiology, The George Washington University, Washington, DC 20052, USA
Am J Phys Anthropol 140:643-52. 2009
A number of living primates feed part-year on seemingly hard food objects as a fallback. We ask here how hardness can be quantified and how this can help understand primate feeding ecology...
- Diametral tensile strength and Vickers hardness of a composite after storage in different solutions
Igor S Medeiros
Department of Dental Materials, School of Dentistry, University of Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
J Oral Sci 49:61-6. 2007
This study evaluated the Vickers hardness (VHN) and diametral tensile strength (DTS) of the composite Z100 (3M ESPE) cured with: Quartz-Tungsten-Halogen light curing unit (QTH) (700mW/cm2- 40 s) and Argon laser (1,000mW/cm2- 10 s)...
- Biochemical composition and cariogenicity of dental plaque formed in the presence of sucrose or glucose and fructose
J A Cury
Faculty of Dentistry of Piracicaba, State University of Campinas, SP, Brazil
Caries Res 34:491-7. 2000
- Micro-mechanical modeling of the cement-bone interface: the effect of friction, morphology and material properties on the micromechanical response
Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Centre, Orthopaedic Research Laboratory, P O Box 9101, 6500 HB Nijmegen, The Netherlands
J Biomech 41:3158-63. 2008
..The current study provides information that may help to better understand the load-transfer mechanisms taking place at the cement-bone interface...
- Effect of light curing modes and light curing time on the microhardness of a hybrid composite resin
Flavio Henrique Baggio Aguiar
Department of Restorative Dentistry, Piracicaba School of Dentistry, Campinas State University, Sao Paulo, Brazil
J Contemp Dent Pract 8:1-8. 2007
..The aim of this in vitro study was to evaluate the influence of light curing modes and curing time on the microhardness of a hybrid composite resin...
- In situ observation of nanograin rotation and deformation in nacre
Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of South Carolina, 300 Main Street, Columbia, South Carolina 29208, USA
Nano Lett 6:2301-4. 2006
..The biopolymer spacing between the nanograins facilitates the grain rotation process. The aragonite nanograins in nacre are not brittle but deformable...
- Effect of fluoride containing bleaching agents on enamel surface properties
Hui Ping Chen
Institute of Oral Medicine, National Cheng Kung University, Tainan 701, Taiwan
J Dent 36:718-25. 2008
..To evaluate the effects of fluoridated bleaching agents and post-bleaching fluoridation treatment on the whitening efficiency and microhardness of bovine enamel...
- Flexural strength and hardness of direct and indirect composites
Dental Materials, University of Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
Braz Oral Res 23:5-10. 2009
The objective of this study was to evaluate the flexural strength (sigma f) and hardness (H) of direct and indirect composites, testing the hypotheses that direct resin composites produce higher sigma f and H values than indirect ..
- Hardness evaluation of a dental composite polymerized with experimental LED-based devices
São Carlos Institute of Physics, University of Sao Paulo, Caixa Postal 369, 13560 970, Sao Carlos, SP, Brazil
Dent Mater 17:309-15. 2001
The main goal of this study was the hardness evaluation of a composite resin cured by five LED (Light Emitting Diodes) based devices and a comparison with a conventional curing unit...
- Preparation and evaluation of dental resin luting agents with increasing content of bisphenol-A ethoxylated dimethacrylate
Rafael R Moraes
Department of Restorative Dentistry, Dental Materials Division Piracicaba Dental School, P O Box 52, University of Campinas UNICAMP Av Limeira 901 13414 903 Piracicaba, SP Brazil
J Biomater Appl 24:453-73. 2010
..Degree of conversion (DC), diametral tensile strength (DTS), Young's modulus (YM), Knoop hardness (KHN), film thickness (FT), water sorption (W(sp) ), and solubility are evaluated...
- Physical properties of a new silorane-based restorative system
Advanced Education in General Dentistry Residency, Wilford Hall Medical Center, Lackland AFB, TX 78236, USA
Dent Mater 26:337-44. 2010
..To distinguish the physical properties of a new silorane-based restorative material in comparison to five methacrylate-based restorative materials--a compomer, giomer, nanocomposite, hybrid and micro-hybrid...
- Nucleotide polymorphism in the wheat transcriptional activator Spa influences its pattern of expression and has pleiotropic effects on grain protein composition, dough viscoelasticity, and grain hardness
INRA, UMR1095, Genetics, Diversity, and Ecophysiology of Cereals, F 63100 Clermont Ferrand, France
Plant Physiol 151:2133-44. 2009
..Except for Spa-A, these associations can be explained by differences in grain hardness. No association was found between Spa markers and the average single grain dry mass or grain protein ..
- In-depth polymerization of dual-cured resin cement assessed by hardness
Rogério V Reges
Department of Restorative Dentistry, Dental Materials Division Piracicaba Dental School, State University of Campinas Av Limeira, 901 13414 903 Piracicaba, SP, Brazil
J Biomater Appl 23:85-96. 2008
..Control samples are light-cured without using ceramic. Samples are tested after 15 min or 24 h. Knoop hardness readings are made at 100, 300, 500, and 700 microm depth...
- Change in surface hardness of enamel by a cola drink and a CPP-ACP paste
Department of Restorative Sciences, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, USA
J Dent 36:74-9. 2008
..microhardness to evaluate whether a paste containing casein phosphopeptide amorphous calcium phosphate (CPP-ACP) can reharden tooth enamel softened by a cola drink, and how different saliva-substitute solutions affect the enamel hardness.
- The effect of different light-curing units on fatigue behavior and degree of conversion of a resin composite
Policlinic for Operative Dentistry and Periodontology, University of Erlangen Nuremberg, Gluckstrasse 11, D 91054 Erlangen, Germany
Dent Mater 21:608-15. 2005
..The aim of this study was to investigate the effect of different light-curing units and irradiation modes on the mechanical fatigue strength and degree of conversion of a restorative resin composite...
- Effect of acidic food and drinks on surface hardness of enamel, dentine, and tooth-coloured filling materials
Department of Operative Dentistry, Khon Kaen University, Khon Kaen, Thailand
J Dent 34:214-20. 2006
..of acidic food and drinks (Cola soft drink, drinking yogurt, orange juice, sports drink, Tom-yum soup) on surface hardness of various substrates (enamel, dentine, universal composite, microfilled composite, conventional glass ionomer, ..
- Effect of different peroxide bleaching regimens and subsequent fluoridation on the hardness of human enamel and dentin
Department of Oral Rehabilitation, The Maurice and Gabriela Goldshleger School of Dental Medicine, Universeity of Tel Aviv, Tel Aviv, Israel
J Prosthet Dent 92:337-42. 2004
Bleaching of teeth by "in-office" or "home" bleaching techniques are popular methods of whitening teeth. However, bleaching may reduce the surface hardness of enamel and dentin.
- Hardness and diametral tensile strength of a hybrid composite resin polymerized with different modes and immersed in ethanol or distilled water media
Flávio H B Aguiar
Department of Restorative Dentistry, Piracicaba School of Dentistry, Campinas State University, Brazil
Dent Mater 21:1098-103. 2005
..The aim of this in vitro study was to evaluate the microhardness and diametral tensile strength of a hybrid composite resin (Z250, 3M ESPE) polymerized with four different modes of light exposure and immersed in two different media...
- Correspondence between food consistency and suprahyoid muscle activity, tongue pressure, and bolus transit times during the oropharyngeal phase of swallowing
Div of Dysphagia Rehabilitation, Niigata Univ Graduate School of Medical and Dental Sciences, Chuo Ku, Niigata 951 8514, Japan
J Appl Physiol (1985) 105:791-9. 2008
..The peak, area, and time duration of all of the variables for AT and PT and EMG burst increased with increasing hardness of the bolus...
- Effect of LED curing on the microleakage, shear bond strength and surface hardness of a resin-based composite restoration
Theunis G Oberholzer
Department of Operative Dentistry, Faculty of Dentistry, Medical University of Southern Africa, South Africa
Biomaterials 26:3981-6. 2005
..the effect of Light emitting diode (LED) curing on dental resins, microleakage, shear bond strength and surface hardness of a dental composite cured with different LEDs were determined and compared with conventional halogen curing...
- Knoop hardness depth profiles and compressive strength of selected dental composites polymerized with halogen and LED light curing technologies
Department of Materials Science and Technology, Friedrich Schiller University Jena, Löbdergraben 32, D 07743 Jena, Germany
J Biomed Mater Res 63:729-38. 2002
..Both technologies were compared by measuring compressive strength and Knoop hardness depth profiles for selected dental composites polymerized for 20 or 40 s...
- Effects of new formulas of bleaching gel and fluoride application on enamel microhardness: an in vitro study
Juliana B da Costa
Department of Restorative Dentistry, Division of Operative Dentistry, Oregon Health and Science University OHSU School of Dentistry, Portland, OR, USA
Oper Dent 32:589-94. 2007
..evaluated the new formulas of bleaching products and the effect of subsequent applications of fluoride on the hardness of enamel during and after tooth bleaching...
- Comparative hardness and modulus of tooth-colored restoratives: a depth-sensing microindentation study
Adrian U Jin Yap
Restorative Dentistry, Faculty of Dentistry, National University of Singapore, 5 Lower Kent Ridge Road, Singapore 119074, Singapore
Biomaterials 25:2179-85. 2004
The objective of this study was to compare the hardness and modulus of the continuum of direct tooth-colored restorative materials using a depth-sensing microindentation approach...
- Beneficial effects of hydroxyapatite on enamel subjected to 30% hydrogen peroxide
Key Laboratory for Oral Biomedical Engineering, Ministry of Education, School and Hospital of Stomatology, Wuhan University, 237 Luoyu Road, Wuhan 430079, PR China
J Dent 36:907-14. 2008
..To evaluate the effect of combination of hydroxyapatite (HA) and hydrogen peroxide (HP) on color, microhardness and morphology of human tooth enamel...
- Wear performance of large-diameter differential-hardness hip bearings
C Lowry Barnes
Arkansas Specialty Orthopaedics, Little Rock, Arkansas 72205, USA
J Arthroplasty 23:56-60. 2008
We hypothesized that differential-hardness hard-on-hard bearings would generate less wear debris compared with like-hardness metal-on-metal (M-o-M) bearings...
- Evaluation of hardness and surface roughness of two maxillofacial silicones following disinfection
Marcelo Coelho Goiato
Department of Dental Materials and Prosthesis, School of Dentistry of Aracatuba, Sao Paulo State University, Aracatuba, SP, Brazil
Braz Oral Res 23:49-53. 2009
The purpose of this study was to evaluate the Shore A hardness and surface roughness of two silicones for maxillofacial prosthetic treatment, under the influence of chemical disinfection and storage...
- Nanoindentation of orthodontic archwires: The effect of decontamination and clinical use on hardness, elastic modulus and surface roughness
Joseph P Alcock
Division of Child Dental Health, Bristol Dental School, University of Bristol, Bristol, UK
Dent Mater 25:1039-43. 2009
..of this research was to investigate the effects of decontamination and clinical exposure on the elastic moduli, hardness and surface roughness of two frequently used orthodontic archwires, namely 0.020in.x0.020in...
- Assessment of muscle hardness changes induced by a submaximal fatiguing isometric contraction
Universite de Nantes, Nantes Atlantique Universites, Laboratoire Motricite, Interactions, Performance, JE 2438, UFR STAPS, 25 bis Bd Guy Mollet BP 72206, Nantes F 44000, France
J Electromyogr Kinesiol 19:484-91. 2009
Transient elastography consists of measuring the transverse local shear elastic modulus defined as local muscle hardness (LMH). It has previously been shown that LMH is correlated to muscle activity level during non-fatiguing contractions...
- Effects of light exposure time on composite resin hardness after root reinforcement using translucent fibre post
Cleonice da Silveira Teixeira
School of Dentistry, University of Ribeirao Preto UNAERP, Ribeirao Preto, SP, Brazil
J Dent 36:520-8. 2008
The purpose of this in vitro study was to evaluate the Vickers hardness (VHN) of a Light Core (Bisco) composite resin after root reinforcement, according to the light exposure time, region of intracanal reinforcement and lateral distance ..
- Nature of hardness evolution in nanocrystalline NiTi shape memory alloys during solid-state phase transition
Institute for Frontier Materials, Deakin University, Waurn Ponds, VIC 3217, Australia
Sci Rep 3:2476. 2013
..of thermomechanical smart materials' reaction to applied loads, a revolutionary approach is needed to measure the hardness and to understand its size effect for pseudoelastic NiTi shape memory alloys (SMAs) during the solid-state phase ..
- Injury risk associated with ground hardness in junior cricket
Dara M Twomey
School of Human Movement and Sport Sciences, University of Ballarat, Australia
J Sci Med Sport 15:110-5. 2012
To establish if there is an association between ground hardness and injury risk in junior cricket.
- Assessment of pancreatic hardness-surgeon versus durometer
Department of Surgery, St Josef Hospital, Ruhr University Bochum, Bochum, Germany
J Surg Res 158:53-60. 2010
This study reports the first results of durometrically measured hardness of human pancreas and investigates its correlation to palpatory determined hardness, grade of pancreatic fibrosis, and preoperatively determined radiodensity.
- Microhardness and fluoride release of restorative materials in different storage media
Kélio Garcia Silva
Department of Pediatric and Social Dentistry, School of Dentistry of Aracatuba, Sao Paulo State University, Aracatuba, SP, Brazil
Braz Dent J 18:309-13. 2007
..4 +/- 7.1), Fuji II LC (5.7 +/- 4.7) and Freedom (2.1 +/- 1.7) had higher fluoride release at pH 4.6. Microhardness and fluoride release of the tested restorative materials varied according to the storage medium...
- Effect of water on the physical properties of resin-modified glass ionomer cements
M A Cattani-Lorente
Laboratory of Dental Materials, School of Dentistry, Geneva, Switzerland
Dent Mater 15:71-8. 1999
..This work was conducted to study the effect of water sorption on the physical properties of several resin-modified GIC, by changing the samples' storage conditions...
- Enamel properties after tooth bleaching with hydrogen/carbamide peroxides in association with a CPP-ACP paste
Adriana Alcantara Meira de Vasconcelos
School of Dentistry, Potiguar University Laureate International Universities, Natal, Brazil
Acta Odontol Scand 70:337-43. 2012
..This study evaluated the impact of bleaching teeth using blends of a CPP-ACP paste (MI Paste; MI) and carbamide/hydrogen peroxides in different proportions on surface properties of bleached enamel...
- Physical properties of the dentin-enamel junction region
Department of Restorative Sciences, Graduate School, Tokyo Medical and Dental University, Japan
Am J Dent 13:129-35. 2000
..To determine the physical properties between enamel and dentin at the dentin-enamel junction (DEJ) region of natural tooth structure...
- Physicochemical characterization and preliminary in vivo efficacy of bioadhesive, semisolid formulations containing flurbiprofen for the treatment of gingivitis
D S Jones
The Pharmaceutical Sciences Group, School of Pharmacy, and Division of Restorative Dentistry Periodontics, The Queen s University of Belfast, Medical Biology Centre, 97, Lisburn Road, Belfast BT9 7BL, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
J Pharm Sci 88:592-8. 1999
..Flurbiprofen release into PBS pH 7.4 was performed at 37 degrees C. The mechanical properties (hardness, compressibility, adhesiveness, initial stress) and syringeability of formulations were determined using a ..
- Structure and mechanical properties of selected biological materials
P Y Chen
Materials Science and Engineering Program, UC San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92037 0411, United States
J Mech Behav Biomed Mater 1:208-26. 2008
..In this paper, we report on recent progress on studies of the abalone and Araguaia river clam shells, arthropod exoskeletons, antlers, tusks, teeth and bird beaks...
- Development of method for evaluating cell hardness and correlation between bacterial spore hardness and durability
Laboratory for Core Technology, Development Kirin Beverage Co, Ltd, Technovillage 3F, 1 17 1 Namamugi, Yokohama 230 8628, Japan
J Nanobiotechnology 10:22. 2012
Despite the availability of conventional devices for making single-cell manipulations, determining the hardness of a single cell remains difficult...
- Preventive effect of iron gel with or without fluoride on bovine enamel erosion in vitro
M G Bueno
Department of Pediatric Dentistry, Orthodontics and Public Health, Bauru School of Dentistry, University of Sao Paulo, Bauru, SP, Brazil
Aust Dent J 55:177-80. 2010
..The aim of this study was to evaluate the preventive effect in vitro of experimental gel containing iron and/or fluoride on the erosion of bovine enamel...
- CO2 laser improves 45S5 bioglass interaction with dentin
A S Bakry
Cariology and Operative Dentistry, Department of Restorative Sciences, Graduate School, Tokyo Medical and Dental University, 1 5 45, Yushima, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo 113 8549, Japan
J Dent Res 90:246-50. 2011
..The results showed that 45S5 bioglass could occlude the dentinal tubule orifices with calcium-phosphate crystals. The application of CO(2) laser potentially improved the mechanical organization of these crystals...
- A barley Hordoindoline mutation resulted in an increase in grain hardness
National Agricultural Research Center for Western Region WeNARC, 1 3 1 Senyu, Zentsuji, Kagawa 765 8508, Japan
Theor Appl Genet 120:519-26. 2010
Barley seed proteins, Hordoindolines, are homologues of wheat Puroindolines, which are associated with grain hardness. Barley Hordoindoline genes are known to comprise Hina and Hinb, and Hinb consists of two Hinb genes, Hinb-1 and Hinb-2...
- Reduced tissue hardness of trabecular bone is associated with severe osteoarthritis
Laboratorio di Tecnologia Medica, Istituto Ortopedico Rizzoli, Bologna, Italy
J Biomech 44:1593-8. 2011
This study investigated whether changes in hardness of human trabecular bone are associated with osteoarthritis...
- Antibacterial and physical properties of resin modified glass-ionomers combined with chlorhexidine
B J Sanders
Department of Oral Facial Development, Indiana University School of Dentistry, Indianapolis 46202 5200, USA
J Oral Rehabil 29:553-8. 2002
..The samples were tested for hardness, tensile strength and erosion at 24 h and 6-week intervals and for elution of CHX and antimicrobial activity ..
- The influence of chemical activation on hardness of dual-curing resin cements
Renata Garcia Fonseca
Department of Dental Materials and Prosthodontics, School of Dentistry of Araraquara, Sao Paulo State University
Braz Oral Res 18:228-32. 2004
..evaluated the influence of chemical activation compared with dual-curing (chemical and light activation), on the hardness of four dual-curing resin cements...
- Surface hardness of light-activated resin composites cured by two different visible-light sources: an in vitro study
Department of Restorative Dentistry, University Dental School and Hospital, National University of Ireland, Cork, Ireland
Quintessence Int 32:401-5. 2001
..The plasma lamp yielded lower hardness values for all surfaces compared with the halogen source, but the size of the difference depended on the ..
- [Effect of the methods of photoactivation and insertion on the hardness of composite resins]
Faculdade de Odontologia de Piracicaba, Universidade Estadual de Campinas, Brasil
Pesqui Odontol Bras 16:355-60. 2002
The purpose of this study was to assess the effect of methods of photoactivation and insertion on the Knoop hardness of the Z100 and Alert composite resins. The specimens were confected in cavities measuring 4 x 4 mm...
- Effect of ethanol on the hardness and relaxation modulus of experimental photo-activated soft lining materials stored in aqueous solutions
Department of Biomaterials Science, Kagoshima University Dental School, Kagoshima, Japan
J Oral Rehabil 29:770-6. 2002
We studied changes in the hardness, relaxation modulus [Er(t)], and weight change ratio (Wc) of experimental photo-activated acrylic soft lining materials (EPLs) stored in three aqueous solutions [distilled water (DW), physiological ..
- Hardness in arthropod exoskeletons in the absence of transition metals
B W Cribb
Centre for Microscopy and Microanalysis, The University of Queensland, St Lucia, QLD 4072, Australia
Acta Biomater 6:3152-6. 2010
..The larval jewel beetle, Pseudotaenia frenchi, demonstrates hardness in the cutting edge of the mandibles in excess of the mineralized carapace of stone crabs and compares favourably ..
- Flexural strength and hardness of reline and denture base acrylic resins after different exposure times of microwave disinfection
Daniela Garcia Ribeiro
Department of Dental Materials and Prosthodontics, Sao Paulo State University, UNESP, Araraquara Dental School, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Quintessence Int 39:833-40. 2008
To evaluate the effect of microwave disinfection on the flexural strength and Vickers hardness of 4 autopolymerized resins (Kooliner [K], Tokuso Rebase Fast [T], Ufi Gel Hard [U], and New Truliner [N]) and 1 denture base resin (Lucitone ..
- Hardening of a dual-cure resin cement using QTH and LED curing units
Maria Jacinta Moraes Coelho Santos
Department of Restorative Dentistry, University Western Ontario, London, Canada
J Appl Oral Sci 18:110-5. 2010
This study evaluated the surface hardness of a resin cement (RelyX ARC) photoactivated through indirect composite resin (Cristobal) disks of different thicknesses using either a light-emitting diode (LED) or quartz tungsten halogen (QTH) ..
- Extrinsic energy sources affect hardness through depth during set of a glass-ionomer cement
Biomaterials Unit, School of Dentistry, College of Medical and Dental Sciences, University of Birmingham, St Chads Queensway, Birmingham B4 6NN, UK
J Dent 38:490-5. 2010
To investigate the effect of various energy sources on the upper and lower surface hardness of a setting glass ionomer with various thicknesses.
- Curing efficiency of different polymerization methods through ceramic restorations
Department of Operative Dentistry and Periodontology, University Clinics, Regensburg, Germany
Clin Oral Investig 5:156-61. 2001
..polymerization methods through ceramic restorations by determination of the depth of cure and the universal hardness of a composite resin luting material...
- Time sequence of secondary mineralization and microhardness in cortical and cancellous bone from ewes
INSERM Unité 831, Faculte de Medecine Laennec, 69372 Lyon Cedex 08, France
Bone 46:1204-12. 2010
..Finally, secondary mineralization in BSUs is completed after a period of 30 months. This observation should be taken into account for understanding the effects of long-term treatments of bone diseases...
- Compositional characteristics and hardness of acrylic and composite resin artificial teeth
Paola G Loyaga-Rendon
Division of Oral Health Sciences, Graduate School, Tokyo Medical and Dental University, Tokyo, Japan
J Prosthet Dent 98:141-9. 2007
..New types of artificial teeth are commercially available; however, evidence-based information regarding composition and properties is lacking...
- In situ evaluation of the remineralizing capacity of pit and fissure sealants containing amorphous calcium phosphate and/or fluoride
Kélio Garcia Silva
Post graduation Program in Pediatric Dentistry, UNESP Sao Paulo State University, Araçatuba Dental School, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Acta Odontol Scand 68:11-8. 2010
..This in situ study evaluated the remineralizing potential of pit and fissure sealants containing amorphous calcium phosphate (ACP) and/or fluoride in artificially induced carious lesions on smooth enamel surfaces...
- Evaluation of human muscle hardness after dynamic exercise with ultrasound real-time tissue elastography: a feasibility study
Faculty of Sport Sciences, Waseda University, Tokorozawa, Saitama, Japan
Clin Radiol 66:815-9. 2011
..feasibility of ultrasound real-time tissue elastography (RTE) for measuring exercise-induced changes in muscle hardness and to compare the findings of RTE with those of a tissue hardness meter for semi-quantitative assessment of the ..
- Meretrix lusoria--a natural biocomposite material: in situ analysis of hierarchical fabrication and micro-hardness
College of Chemistry and Molecular Sciences, Wuhan University, Wuhan 430072, People s Republic of China
Micron 37:35-40. 2006
..TEM) and X-ray diffraction analyzer (XRD) combining with in situ texture decalcified technique and the micro-hardness of clam was determined, in order to understand the spatial relationship between the mineral phase and organic ..
- The effect of ceramic restoration shade and thickness on the polymerization of light- and dual-cure resin cements
Nova Southeastern University College of Dental Medicine, Cariology and Restorative Dentistry, Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA
Oper Dent 36:661-9. 2011
..The amount of light transmission through the restoration was also evaluated to correlate the results...
- Vertebral trabecular bone microscopic tissue elastic modulus and hardness do not change in ovariectomized rats
X E Guo
Department of Mechanical Engineering and Biomedical Engineering, Columbia University, New York, New York 10027, USA
J Orthop Res 18:333-6. 2000
..bone area of the lumbar vertebrae (L4) was measured with scanning electron microscopy and the elastic modulus and hardness were determined with the nanoindentation technique...
- Enamel remineralization by fluoride-releasing materials: proposal of a pH-cycling model
Department of Pediatric and Social Dentistry
Braz Dent J 21:446-51. 2010
..0002), ∆ and μg F (r=0.9975; p=0.0000001) and between μg F/mm3 and μg F (r=0.9819; p=0.001). The pH-cycling model proposed was able to verify in vitro dose-response relationship of fluoride-releasing materials on remineralization...
- Dentin caries activity status related to hardness and elasticity
Division of Biomaterials and Bioengineering, Department of Preventive and Restorative Dental Sciences, University of California San Francisco, 707 Parnassus Avenue, San Francisco, CA 94143 0758, USA
Eur J Oral Sci 111:243-52. 2003
..caries, the transparent zone occupied a larger portion of the lesion and the reduced elastic modulus was not significantly different from the underlying normal zone, although its hardness was lower than the apparently normal zone.