- Sonication of removed hip and knee prostheses for diagnosis of infection
Division of Infectious Diseases, Department of Internal Medicine, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
N Engl J Med 357:654-63. 2007
..We hypothesized that culturing of samples obtained from the prosthesis would improve the microbiologic diagnosis of prosthetic-joint infection...
- Characterization of nanomaterial dispersion in solution prior to in vitro exposure using dynamic light scattering technique
Richard C Murdock
Applied Biotechnology Branch, Human Effectiveness Directorate Air Force Research Laboratory HEPB, Wright Patterson Air Force Board, Ohio 45433, USA
Toxicol Sci 101:239-53. 2008
..It was also necessary to characterize the impact of sonication, which is implemented to aid in particle dispersion and solution mixture...
- Sonication cultures of explanted components as an add-on test to routinely conducted microbiological diagnostics improve pathogen detection
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Medical University of Vienna, General Hospital, Vienna, Austria
J Orthop Res 29:617-22. 2011
..improve the pathogen detection in prosthetic joint infections, particularly to evaluate the feasibility of the sonication culture method in the clinical routine...
- Prosthetic joint infection diagnosis using broad-range PCR of biofilms dislodged from knee and hip arthroplasty surfaces using sonication
Division of Infectious Diseases, Department of Medicine, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota, USA
J Clin Microbiol 50:3501-8. 2012
..the utility of PCR on biofilms dislodged from the surface of explanted arthroplasties using vortexing and sonication (i.e., sonicate fluid PCR)...
- Reversible blood-brain barrier disruption by repeated transcranial focused ultrasound allows enhanced extravasation
Feng Yi Yang
Department of Biomedical Imaging and Radiological Sciences, School of Biomedical Science and Engineering, National Yang Ming University, Taipei, Taiwan
J Control Release 150:111-6. 2011
..we demonstrate that, using this noninvasive treatment, Evans Blue (EB) extravasation can be enhanced by repeated sonication. Sonications were applied at an ultrasound frequency of 1 MHz with a 5% duty cycle, and a repetition frequency ..
- Improved diagnosis of periprosthetic joint infection by multiplex PCR of sonication fluid from removed implants
Infectious Diseases Service, Department of Internal Medicine, Cantonal Hospital Zug, Baar, Switzerland
J Clin Microbiol 48:1208-14. 2010
..We evaluated the value of multiplex PCR for detection of microbial DNA in sonication fluid from removed orthopedic prostheses...
- Effect of focused ultrasound applied with an ultrasound contrast agent on the tight junctional integrity of the brain microvascular endothelium
Department of Radiology, Brigham and Women s Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Ultrasound Med Biol 34:1093-104. 2008
..proteins occludin, claudin-1, claudin-5, and of submembranous ZO-1 were examined at 1, 2, 4, 6 and 24 h after sonication. A quantitative evaluation of the protein expression was made by counting the number of immunosignals per ..
- Micro-SPECT/CT-based pharmacokinetic analysis of 99mTc-diethylenetriaminepentaacetic acid in rats with blood-brain barrier disruption induced by focused ultrasound
Feng Yi Yang
Department of Biomedical Imaging and Radiological Sciences, National Yang Ming University, Taipei, Taiwan
J Nucl Med 52:478-84. 2011
..The pharmacokinetics of the healthy and tumor-containing brains after BBB-D were compared to identify the optimal time period for combined treatment...
- Treating glioblastoma multiforme with selective high-dose liposomal doxorubicin chemotherapy induced by repeated focused ultrasound
Feng Yi Yang
Department of Biomedical Imaging and Radiological Sciences, School of Biomedical Science and Engineering, National Yang Ming University, Taipei Taiwan fyyang ym edu tw
Int J Nanomedicine 7:965-74. 2012
..The present study shows that repeated pulsed high-intensity focused ultrasound (HIFU) can be used to deliver high-dose atherosclerotic plaque-specific peptide-1 (AP-1)-conjugated liposomes selectively to brain tumors...
- Escherichia coli variants in periprosthetic joint infection: diagnostic challenges with sessile bacteria and sonication
Unit of Infectious Diseases, Basel University Medical Clinic Liestal, and Clinic of Orthopedic Surgery, Cantonal Hospital, Rheinstrasse 26, 4410 Liestal, Switzerland
J Clin Microbiol 48:1720-5. 2010
..With sonication, adherent bacteria can be dislodged from the prosthesis...
- Sonication of removed breast implants for improved detection of subclinical infection
U M Rieger
Department of Plastic, Reconstructive, and Aesthetic Surgery, University Hospital of Basel, Spitalstrasse 21, 4031, Basel, Switzerland
Aesthetic Plast Surg 33:404-8. 2009
..Current diagnostic tests consist of intraoperative swabs and tissue biopsies. Sonication of removed implants may improve the diagnosis of implant infection by detachment of biofilms from the implant ..
- Targeted disruption of the blood-brain barrier with focused ultrasound: association with cavitation activity
Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, 75 Francis Street, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Phys Med Biol 51:793-807. 2006
..40 and 0.57 MPa. BBBD was observed in contrast MRI after sonication at 0.29-0.57 MPa...
- Multiplex PCR of sonication fluid accurately differentiates between prosthetic joint infection and aseptic failure
María Eugenia Portillo
Microbiology Laboratory, Reference Laboratory of Catalunya, Carrer de la Selva, 10, Edifici Inblau A Parc de Negocis MasBlau I, El Prat de Llobregat, 08820 Barcelona, Spain
J Infect 65:541-8. 2012
..Cultures have limited sensitivity in the diagnosis of prosthetic joint infection (PJI), especially in low-grade infections. We assessed the value of multiplex PCR in differentiating PJI from aseptic failure (AF)...
- Sonication versus vortexing of implants for diagnosis of prosthetic joint infection
María Eugenia Portillo
Microbiology Laboratory, Reference Laboratory of Catalunya, Barcelona, Spain
J Clin Microbiol 51:591-4. 2013
Biofilm removal efficacy of vortexing alone was compared with the standard vortexing-sonication procedure. Among 135 removed prostheses, 35 were diagnosed with infection and 100 with aseptic failure...
- High-efficiency Agrobacterium-mediated transformation of citrus via sonication and vacuum infiltration
Maria Luiza Peixoto de Oliveira
Plant Biology Department, Plant Tissue Culture Laboratory BIOAGRO, Federal University of Vicosa, Vicosa, MG, Brazil
Plant Cell Rep 28:387-95. 2009
..X Poncirus trifoliata (L.) Raf.] was developed in order to increase transformation frequency. Sonication-assisted Agrobacterium-mediated transformation (SAAT), vacuum infiltration, and a combination of the two ..
- Therapeutic arteriogenesis by ultrasound-mediated VEGF165 plasmid gene delivery to chronically ischemic skeletal muscle
Division of Cardiology, Keenan Research Centre in the Li Ka Shing Knowledge Institute, St Michael s Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Circ Res 101:295-303. 2007
..The results of our study demonstrate the utility of ultrasonic destruction of plasmid-bearing microbubbles to induce therapeutic arteriogenesis in the setting of severe chronic ischemia...
- Microbiologic diagnosis of prosthetic shoulder infection by use of implant sonication
Kerryl E Piper
Division of Infectious Diseases, Department of Medicine, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, 200 First St S W, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
J Clin Microbiol 47:1878-84. 2009
We recently described a sonication technique for the diagnosis of prosthetic knee and hip infections...
- Influence of the cell wall on intracellular delivery to algal cells by electroporation and sonication
Harold R Azencott
School of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA, USA
Ultrasound Med Biol 33:1805-17. 2007
..Chlamydomonas reinhardtii algal cells and mutant cells lacking a cell wall were exposed to electroporation or sonication. Flow cytometry determined intracellular uptake of calcein and bovine serum albumin (BSA) and loss of cell ..
- High throughput sonication: evaluation for compound solubilization
MatriCal, Inc, Spokane, WA, USA
Comb Chem High Throughput Screen 8:499-512. 2005
..here that efficient compound dissolution is possible even in 384 well format by the use of in-well plate-based sonication. Surprisingly, compounds precipitated from DMSO stocks either by water uptake or repeated freeze thaw cycles can ..
- Bacterial biofilms and capsular contracture in patients with breast implants
U M Rieger
Department of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery, Medical University, Innsbruck, Austria
Br J Surg 100:768-74. 2013
..It has been hypothesized that bacterial biofilms on breast implants may cause chronic inflammation leading to capsular contracture. The association between bacterial biofilms of removed implants and capsular contracture was investigated...
- Sonication is superior to scraping for retrieval of bacteria in biofilm on titanium and steel surfaces in vitro
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, St Olav s University Hospital, Trondheim, Norway
Acta Orthop 80:245-50. 2009
..Consequently, detachment of the causative adherent bacteria is crucial for correct microbiological diagnosis. Using an in vitro model, we compared 4 methods of biofilm sampling from metal surfaces...
- Correlations to predict droplet size in ultrasonic atomisation
Hindustan Lever Research Centre, Whitefield, Bangalore, India
Ultrasonics 39:235-55. 2001
..Also, an empirical correlation from experimental data has been proposed in this work...
- Quantitative evaluation of focused ultrasound with a contrast agent on blood-brain barrier disruption
Feng Yi Yang
Institute of Biomedical Engineering, College of Medicine, National Taiwan University, Taipei, Taiwan
Ultrasound Med Biol 33:1421-7. 2007
The use of an ultrasound contrast agent (UCA) with focused ultrasound sonication has the potential to disrupt the blood-brain barrier (BBB) noninvasively and reversibly at target locations...
- PCR-hybridization after sonication improves diagnosis of implant-related infection
Department of Clinical Microbiology, IIS Fundación Jiménez Díaz, Madrid, Spain
Acta Orthop 83:299-304. 2012
We wanted to improve the diagnosis of implant-related infection using molecular biological techniques after sonication.
- Delivery of liposomal doxorubicin (Doxil) in a breast cancer tumor model: investigation of potential enhancement by pulsed-high intensity focused ultrasound exposure
Diagnostic Radiology Department, Clinical Center, National Institutes of Health, Building 10, Room 1N306a, 10 Center Drive, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Acad Radiol 13:469-79. 2006
..To investigate the potential of using pulsed high-intensity focused ultrasound (HIFU) exposures to enhance the delivery, and hence therapeutic effect of liposomal doxorubicin (Doxil) in a murine breast cancer tumor model...
- Ultrasonography-based 2D motion-compensated HIFU sonication integrated with reference-free MR temperature monitoring: a feasibility study ex vivo
Faculty of Medicine, University of Geneva, Switzerland
Phys Med Biol 57:N159-71. 2012
..The effective duty-cycle of the HIFU sonication was close to 100 % and no off-interval was required to temporally decouple it from the ultrasonography...
- The rapid determination of sideroxylonals in Eucalyptus foliage by extraction with sonication followed by HPLC
Ian R Wallis
School of Botany and Zoology, Australian National University Canberra 0200, Australia
Phytochem Anal 16:49-54. 2005
..Samples of dry, ground foliage were extracted by sonication with 20% methanol in acetonitrile, 7% water in acetonitrile or 40% water in acetonitrile and the extracts ..
- Modulation of intracellular Ca2+ concentration in brain microvascular endothelial cells in vitro by acoustic cavitation
Department of Biomedical Engineering, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 2099, USA
Ultrasound Med Biol 36:1176-87. 2010
- Ultrasound triggered drug release from 10-hydroxycamptothecin-loaded phospholipid microbubbles for targeted tumor therapy in mice
The Second Affiliated Hospital of Chongqing Medical University, PR China
J Control Release 162:349-54. 2012
..6%) compared with HLMs alone (47.8%) as well as commercial HCPT injection (49.4). In conclusion, HLMs are expected to improve the therapeutic efficacy of MBs and are worthy of further study for UTMD mediated drug delivery...
- The use of injectable sonication-induced silk hydrogel for VEGF(165) and BMP-2 delivery for elevation of the maxillary sinus floor
Department of Prosthodontics, Ninth People s Hospital, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, School of Medicine, Shanghai 200011, China
Biomaterials 32:9415-24. 2011
b>Sonication-induced silk hydrogels were previously prepared as an injectable bone replacement biomaterial, with a need to improve osteogenic features...
- An ultrastrong nanofibrillar biomaterial: the strength of single cellulose nanofibrils revealed via sonication-induced fragmentation
Department of Biomaterials Sciences, Graduate School of Agricultural and Life Sciences, The University of Tokyo, Tokyo 113 8657, Japan
Biomacromolecules 14:248-53. 2013
..The strength of individual nanofibrils was estimated based on a model for the sonication-induced fragmentation of filamentous nanostructures...
- A new strategy to enhance cavitational tissue erosion using a high-intensity, Initiating sequence
Department of Biomedical Engineering, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
IEEE Trans Ultrason Ferroelectr Freq Control 53:1412-24. 2006
..The high-intensity, initiating sequence enhances cavitational tissue erosion and enables erosion at intensities significantly lower than what is required to initiate erosion...
- Microbial diversity in biofilm infections of the urinary tract with the use of sonication techniques
Microbiological Institute, Faculty of Medicine, Masaryk University and St Anne s University Hospital, Czech Republic
FEMS Immunol Med Microbiol 59:525-8. 2010
- Wrapping bacteria by graphene nanosheets for isolation from environment, reactivation by sonication, and inactivation by near-infrared irradiation
Department of Physics, Sharif University of Technology, P O Box 11155 9161, Tehran, Iran
J Phys Chem B 115:6279-88. 2011
..However, after removing the sheets from the surface of the microorganisms by using sonication, they could again interact with their environment...
- Quick synthesis of lipid-polymer hybrid nanoparticles with low polydispersity using a single-step sonication method
Ronnie H Fang
Department of Nanoengineering and Moores Cancer Center, University of California San Diego, La Jolla, California 92093, United States
Langmuir 26:16958-62. 2010
..Using a bath sonication approach, we demonstrate that the whole hybrid nanoparticle synthesis process can be completed in about 5 min ..
- Sonoporation enhances chemotherapeutic efficacy in retinoblastoma cells in vitro
Nahyoung G Lee
Doheny Eye Institute, Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, California 90033, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 52:3868-73. 2011
..To study the ability of ultrasound (US) and microbubbles (MB) to enhance chemotherapeutic efficacy against retinoblastoma Y79 cells in vitro...
- Tunable gel formation by both sonication and thermal processing in a cholesterol-based self-assembly system
Department of Chemistry and Laboratory of Advanced Materials, Fudan University, 220 Handan Road, Shanghai 200433, China
Chemistry 15:6234-43. 2009
..reveal that the cooperation and relative competition of multiple intermolecular interactions, influenced by the sonication or thermal stimulus, are the main contributors for the aggregation or nucleation processes; this results in the ..
- Examination of inertial cavitation of Optison in producing sonoporation of chinese hamster ovary cells
Monica M Forbes
Department of Bioengineering, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, Urbana, IL, USA
Ultrasound Med Biol 34:2009-18. 2008
- Effects of microbubbles on ultrasound-mediated gene transfer in human prostate cancer PC3 cells: comparison among Levovist, YM454, and MRX-815H
Department of Urology, Graduate School of Medicine and Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Toyama, 2630 Sugitani, Toyama 930 0194, Japan
Cancer Lett 265:107-12. 2008
..higher than those without shell (Levovist), and the order of the ECAs facilitating free radical formation by sonication was; YM454>MRX-815H>Levovist...
- Ultrasound microbubbles enhance recombinant adeno-associated virus vector delivery to retinal ganglion cells in vivo
Department of Ophthalmology, Second Affiliated Hospital of Chongqing Medical University, Yuzhong District, Chongqing 400010, China
Acad Radiol 17:1242-8. 2010
- Sonication of proteins causes formation of aggregates that resemble amyloid
Peter B Stathopulos
Guelph Waterloo Centre for Graduate Studies in Chemistry and Biochemistry, University of Waterloo, Waterloo, Ontario N2L 3G1, Canada
Protein Sci 13:3017-27. 2004
Despite the widespread use of sonication in medicine, industry, and research, the effects of sonication on proteins remain poorly characterized...
- Breaking down the wall: fractionation of mycobacteria
Institut fur Medizinische Mikrobiologie, Gloriastrasse 32, Universität Zürich CH 8006 Zürich, Switzerland
J Microbiol Methods 68:32-9. 2007
..of high pressure (cell disrupter/French press) with those of pathogen-compatible breakage methods such as sonication, bead beater and lysozyme treatment using the non-pathogenic Mycobacterium smegmatis...
- Vascular gene transfer of phosphomimetic endothelial nitric oxide synthase (S1177D) using ultrasound-enhanced destruction of plasmid-loaded microbubbles improves vasoreactivity
Molecular Cardiology, Department of Medicine IV, Institut für Kardiovaskuläre Physiologie, University of Frankfurt, Germany
Circulation 105:1104-9. 2002
..For gene transfer, we used a phosphomimetic, active endothelial nitric oxide synthase (eNOS) construct in which Ser1177 was replaced by aspartic acid (S1177D) and exhibits a 2-fold higher basal activity than the wild-type enzyme...
- Sonoporation from jetting cavitation bubbles
Claus Dieter Ohl
Faculty of Science and Technology, Physics of Fluids, University of Twente, Enschede, The Netherlands
Biophys J 91:4285-95. 2006
..Apart from annular sites of sonoporation we also find more homogenous patterns of molecule delivery with no cell detachment...
- Acoustically active lipospheres containing paclitaxel: a new therapeutic ultrasound contrast agent
E C Unger
ImaRx Pharmaceutical Corp, Tucson, AZ 85719, USA
Invest Radiol 33:886-92. 1998
..Paclitaxel-carrying lipospheres (MRX-552) were developed and evaluated as a new ultrasound contrast agent for chemotherapeutic drug delivery...
- Ultrasound exposure of lipoplex loaded microbubbles facilitates direct cytoplasmic entry of the lipoplexes
Laboratory of General Biochemistry and Physical Pharmacy, Ghent Research Group on Nanomedicine, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Ghent University, Harelbekestraat 72, B 9000 Ghent, Belgium
Mol Pharm 6:457-67. 2009
..This is attractive as the in vivo use of PEGylated nanoparticles remains currently limited due to a decreased cellular uptake and inefficient escape of the PEGylated nanoparticles from the endosomes...
- Cavitation-enhanced extravasation for drug delivery
Costas D Arvanitis
Institute of Biomedical Engineering, Department of Engineering Science, University of Oxford, Headington, Oxford, UK
Ultrasound Med Biol 37:1838-52. 2011
- Advanced Fenton processing of aqueous phenol solutions: a continuous system study including sonication effects
K C Namkung
Hub University for Industrial Collaboration, Seoul National University of Technology, 172 Gongneung 2 dong, Nowon, Seoul 139 743, South Korea
Ultrason Sonochem 15:171-6. 2008
..b>Sonication with a bath type sonicator resulted in relatively small enhancements of TOC removal but further studies with cup-..
- Ultrasound-mediated release of hydrophilic and lipophilic agents from echogenic liposomes
Jonathan A Kopechek
Department of Biomedical Engineering, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH 45267 0586 USA
J Ultrasound Med 27:1597-606. 2008
- Improved Agrobacterium-mediated transformation of cowpea via sonication and vacuum infiltration
Department of Biotechnology, Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati, Guwahati, 781039, Assam, India
Plant Cell Rep 30:2281-92. 2011
An improved method of Agrobacterium-mediated transformation of cowpea was developed employing both sonication and vacuum infiltration treatments...
- Saving cells from ultrasound-induced apoptosis: quantification of cell death and uptake following sonication and effects of targeted calcium chelation
J D Hutcheson
School of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA 30332 0100, USA
Ultrasound Med Biol 36:1008-21. 2010
..of ultrasound for noninvasive drug and gene delivery have been limited by associated cell death as a result of sonication. In this study, we sought to quantify the distribution of cellular bioeffects caused by low-frequency ultrasound ..
- Bacterial colonization and infection of electrophysiological cardiac devices detected with sonication and swab culture
Department of Internal Medicine, Luzerner Kantonsspital, Luzern
Circulation 121:1691-7. 2010
Electrophysiological cardiac devices are increasingly used. The frequency of subclinical infection is unknown. We investigated all explanted devices using sonication, a method for detection of microbial biofilms on foreign bodies.
- In vitro effect of ultrasound on bacteria and suggested protocol for sonication and diagnosis of prosthetic infections
Department of Clinical Bacteriology, University Hospital of Umea, Sweden
J Clin Microbiol 47:2496-501. 2009
b>Sonication of implants has been shown to be a promising method for diagnosis of prosthetic infections due to its improved sensitivity, simplicity, and low cost...
- Blood-brain barrier disruption induced by focused ultrasound and circulating preformed microbubbles appears to be characterized by the mechanical index
Department of Radiology, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
Ultrasound Med Biol 34:834-40. 2008
..It also suggests that lower frequency sonication produces less red blood cell extravasation per unit area.
- Changes in cell morphology due to plasma membrane wounding by acoustic cavitation
Robyn K Schlicher
The Wallace H Coulter Department of Biomedical Engineering at Georgia Tech and Emory University, Atlanta, GA, USA
Ultrasound Med Biol 36:677-92. 2010
- Factors affecting production of transgenic rats by ICSI-mediated DNA transfer: effects of sonication and freeze-thawing of spermatozoa, rat strains for sperm and oocyte donors, and different constructs of exogenous DNA
Center for Brain Experiment, National Institute for Physiological Sciences, Okazaki, Aichi, Japan
Mol Reprod Dev 70:422-8. 2005
..One plasmid DNA (Fyn, 5.0 kb) and two BAC DNA (BAC/Fyn, 208 kb; Svet1/IRES-Cre, 186 kb) were successfully introduced into the SD rat genomes via ICSI, with the producing efficiencies of 2.8%, 0.9%, and 2.4%, respectively...
- Effect of ultrasound parameters on the release of liposomal calcein
Department of Physics, The Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Trondheim, Norway
Ultrasound Med Biol 38:476-86. 2012
..The drug's release is probably due to mechanical (cavitation) rather than thermal effects, and that was also confirmed by the detection of hydroxide radicals...
- Relationship between the degree of osteolysis and cultures obtained by sonication of the prostheses in patients with aseptic loosening of a hip or knee arthroplasty
Josep M Sierra
Department of Microbiology, Hospital Clinic of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 131:1357-61. 2011
..The aim of our study was to sonicate components of joint prostheses removed due to aseptic loosening, culture the sonicate fluid, and to correlate these results with the degree of radiological osteolysis...
- Effect of sonication parameters on transdermal delivery of insulin to hairless rats
GIP Ultrasons, Faculty of Medicine, 2 bis Boulevard Tonnelle, BP 3223, 37032 Cedex, Tours, France
J Control Release 81:113-9. 2002
..modification in blood glucose level, indicating that transdermal transport of insulin mainly occurred during sonication. Sonophoresis may therefore potentially be applied for non-invasive and painless delivery of insulin in the ..
- Activity of asynchronous flight muscle from two bee families during sonication (buzzing)
M J King
Industrial Research Ltd, Christchurch, New Zealand
J Exp Biol 199:2317-21. 1996
The indirect flight muscles of bees are used to produce a variety of actions in addition to flight, including sonication, which has a higher frequency than flight...
- Effect of ultrasound treatment on steady and dynamic shear properties of glucomannan based salep dispersions: optimization of amplitude level, sonication time and temperature using response surface methodology
Erciyes University, Engineering Faculty, Food Engineering Department, 38039 Kayseri, Turkey
Ultrason Sonochem 19:928-38. 2012
The present study investigated effect of different amplitude levels (40, 70 and 100%), sonication temperatures (40, 50 and 60°C) and exposure times (3, 7 and 11 min) on steady shear properties; apparent viscosity (η), shear stress (σ), ..
- Experimental investigation of MRgHIFU sonication with interleaved electronic and mechanical displacement of the focal point for transrectal prostate application
INSERM, U556, Lyon F 69003, France
Phys Med Biol 57:4805-25. 2012
..interest of dual-modality (electronic and mechanical) interleaved displacement of the focus for volumetric sonication paradigms...
- Evaluation of rheological properties and swelling behaviour of sonicated scleroglucan samples
Siddique Akber Ansari
Department of Drug Chemistry and Technologies, University La Sapienza, 00185 Rome, Italy
Molecules 17:2283-97. 2012
..was sonicated at two different polymer concentrations for different periods of time and the effect of sonication was investigated with respect to molecular weight variations and rheological properties...
- Using acoustic cavitation to enhance chemotherapy of DOX liposomes: experiment in vitro and in vivo
Ying Zheng Zhao
Wenzhou Medical College, Wenzhou City, Zhejiang Province, China
Drug Dev Ind Pharm 38:1090-8. 2012
..Acoustic cavitation could enhance the absorption efficiency of DOX liposomes, which could be used to reduce DOX adverse effect on normal organs in clinical chemotherapy...
- Glycine catalyzed convenient synthesis of 2-amino-4H-chromenes in aqueous medium under sonic condition
Department of Studies in Chemistry, Bangalore University, Central College Campus, Palace Road, Bengaluru 560001, India
Ultrason Sonochem 19:725-8. 2012
..This protocol afforded corresponding 2-amino-4H-chromenes in shorter reaction times, high yields and simple work-up procedures with the green aspects by avoiding toxic reagents...
- The relationship between microbiology results in the second of a two-stage exchange procedure using cement spacers and the outcome after revision total joint replacement for infection: the use of sonication to aid bacteriological analysis
Parc de Salut Mar, Service of Internal Medicine and Infectious Diseases, Passeig Maritim 25 29, Passeig Maritim 25 29, E 08003 Barcelona, Spain
J Bone Joint Surg Br 94:249-53. 2012
..In this study it was hypothesised that subclinical infection may be diagnosed with sonication of the surface biofilm of the spacer...
- Sonication of explanted cardiac implants improves microbial detection in cardiac device infections
Dipartimento di Sanità Pubblica e Malattie Infettive, Sapienza Università, Rome, Italy
J Clin Microbiol 51:496-502. 2013
The sonication technique has been shown to be a promising tool for microbiological diagnosis of device-related infections...
- Proteases and sonication specifically remove the exosporium layer of spores of Clostridium difficile strain 630
Laboratorio de Mecanismos de Patogénesis Bacteriana, Departamento de Ciencias Biologicas, Universidad Andres Bello, Santiago, Chile
J Microbiol Methods 93:25-31. 2013
..difficile spores through either protease digestion or sonication treatment leaving the spore coat structure intact...
- Cytotoxicity of multi-walled carbon nanotubes in three skin cellular models: effects of sonication, dispersive agents and corneous layer of reconstructed epidermis
Laboratory of Cellular Biochemistry and Biology, University of Namur, Namur, Belgium
Nanotoxicology 4:84-97. 2010
..as micrometric agglomerates, were not harmful to skin cells, except minor effects in keratinocytes, (ii) mild sonication slightly decreased nanotube agglomeration but increased cytotoxicity on keratinocytes, (iii) addition of ..
- Focused-ultrasound disruption of the blood-brain barrier using closely-timed short pulses: influence of sonication parameters and injection rate
Meaghan A O'Reilly
Imaging Research, Sunnybrook Research Institute, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Ultrasound Med Biol 37:587-94. 2011
..Increased burst PRF combined with infusion improved T1w enhancement but without statistical significance, whereas a decrease in burst PRF showed a statistically significant decrease in enhancement...
- Sonication parameters for the preparation of biodegradable nanocapsules of controlled size by the double emulsion method
School of Pharmacy, University of Geneva, Geneva, Switzerland
Pharm Dev Technol 8:1-9. 2003
The main goal of the present work was to study the influence of the sonication process on the characteristics of poly(lactide-co-glycolide) nanocapsules prepared by the water-in-oil-in-water solvent evaporation method...
- Evaluation of a focused sonication probe for arsenic speciation in environmental and biological samples
Facultad de Ciencias Quimicas, Universidad Complutense de Madrid UCM, Ciudad Universitaria s n, 28040 Madrid, Spain
J Chromatogr A 1097:1-8. 2005
..The proposed methods were validated by analysing several Certified Reference Materials: SRM 1,568 a rice flour, CRM-627 tuna fish tissue, SOIL-7 soil and MURST-ISS-A1 Antarctic sediment...
- Aggregation of amyloid Abeta((1-40)) peptide in perdeuterated 2,2,2-trifluoroethanol caused by ultrasound sonication
Andrei V Filippov
Division of Chemical Engineering, Lulea University of Technology, Luleå SE 97187, Sweden
Magn Reson Chem 48:427-34. 2010
Ultrasound sonication of protein and peptide solutions is routinely used in biochemical, biophysical, pharmaceutical and medical sciences to facilitate and accelerate dissolution of macromolecules in both aqueous and organic solvents...
- Advances in sonoporation strategies for cancer
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX 77555, USA
Front Biosci (Schol Ed) 4:988-1006. 2012
..Using high-performance probes, more precise and safer sonoporation treatments will be developed, and newer therapeutic prospects will be realized...
- Homogenisation of cystic fibrosis sputum by sonication--an essential step for Aspergillus PCR
Caroline G Baxter
The National Aspergillosis Centre, University Hospital of South Manchester, Southmoor Road, Manchester M239LT, UK
J Microbiol Methods 85:75-81. 2011
..This study aimed to optimise sputum homogenisation utilising sonication to improve Aspergillus DNA extraction...
- Chromatin immunoprecipitation (ChIP): revisiting the efficacy of sample preparation, sonication, quantification of sheared DNA, and analysis via PCR
Pamela D Schoppee Bortz
Cardiovascular Division, Department of Medicine, University of Virginia Health System, Charlottesville, Virginia, United States of America
PLoS ONE 6:e26015. 2011
..We demonstrate that high intensity sonication for at least 30 min is required for full cellular disruption and maximum DNA recovery because ChIP lysis buffers ..
- Insonation of the eye in the presence of microbubbles: preliminary study of the duration and degree of vascular bioeffects--work in progress
Department of Medical Biophysics, University of Toronto, Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Ultrasound Med 26:731-8. 2007
..The purpose of this study was to investigate the presence and duration of vascular permeability changes induced by the combination of ultrasound and an intravascular microbubble contrast agent in the rabbit eye...
- Free-flow isoelectric focusing of proteins remaining in cell fragments following sonication of thyroid carcinoma cells
FFE Weber GmbH, Martinsried, Germany
Electrophoresis 26:2109-16. 2005
..By sonication, about one-half of the proteins of thyroid cells were released into the supernatant, while the other half ..
- Focused ultrasound-mediated bbb disruption is associated with an increase in activation of AKT: experimental study in rats
Molecular and Cellular Biology Research, Sunnybrook Research Institute, Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre, Toronto, ON, Canada
BMC Neurol 10:114. 2010
..Therefore, the aim of this study was to investigate the activation of cell survival signaling molecules in response to ultrasound-mediated BBB opening;..
- Neat DODAB vesicles: Effect of sonication time on the phase transition thermodynamic parameters and its relation with incomplete chain freezing
R O Brito
Centro de Investigacao em Quimica, Department of Chemistry, Faculty of Sciences, University of Porto, Rua do Campo Alegre 687, P 4169 007 Porto, Portugal
Chem Phys Lipids 137:18-28. 2005
..In this work we present a systematic DSC investigation on the influence of the sonication method on the main temperature and enthalpy of the transition for DODAB vesicles, prepared both in normal and ..
- Harmonic motion imaging for focused ultrasound (HMIFU): a fully integrated technique for sonication and monitoring of thermal ablation in tissues
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Columbia University, New York, NY, USA
Phys Med Biol 53:1773-93. 2008
..This paper discusses a method for monitoring thermal treatment at different sonication durations (10 s, 20 s and 30 s) using the amplitude-modulated (AM) harmonic motion imaging for focused ..
- Significance of location of enzymes on their release during microbial cell disruption
Department of Chemical Engineering University Department of Chemical Technology, Matunga, Mumbai-400 019 India
Biotechnol Bioeng 75:607-14. 2001
..coli during disruption using various techniques has been investigated. The disruption techniques used were sonication, high-pressure homogenization, and hydrodynamic cavitation...
- Hypocholesterolemic effect of sonication-killed Bifidobacterium longum isolated from healthy adult Koreans in high cholesterol fed rats
Hea Soon Shin
College of Pharmacy, Duksung Women s University, Seoul, 132 714, Korea
Arch Pharm Res 33:1425-31. 2010
..We here examined the effect of oral administration of sonication-killed B...
- Viability of yeast form cells of Paracoccidioides brasiliensis after sonication
Maria Fernanda Reis Gavazzoni Dias
Hospital Universitario Clementino Fraga Filho, Departamento de Dermatologia, Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, Brasil
Med Mycol 42:43-9. 2004
..In order to obtain free cells, the cultures are usually sonicated. The present study shows that sonication induces lesions in a significant number of cells, as evaluated by labelling of the cells with acridine orange ..
- Brain arterioles show more active vesicular transport of blood-borne tracer molecules than capillaries and venules after focused ultrasound-evoked opening of the blood-brain barrier
Department of Radiology, Brigham and Women s Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
Ultrasound Med Biol 32:1399-409. 2006
..present study, we aimed to estimate the rate of the transendothelial vesicular traffic after focused ultrasound sonication in the rabbit brain, using ultrastructural morphometry and horseradish peroxidase (HRP) as a tracer...
- Particle size distribution in DMPC vesicles solutions undergoing different sonication times
Istituto di Fisica, Universitá Cattolica S Cuore A Gemelli, Rome, Italy
Biophys J 88:3545-50. 2005
..liposome suspensions was investigated by dynamic-light scattering (DLS) as a function of the sonication time (t(s))...
- The effect of sonication on simulated osteoarthritis. Part II: alleviation of osteoarthritis pathogenesis by 1 MHz ultrasound with simultaneous hyaluronate injection
So Ra Park
Department of Physiology, College of Medicine, Inha University, Incheon, Korea
Ultrasound Med Biol 31:1559-66. 2005
..In the present study, we evaluated the effectiveness of sonication on the progress of induced OA in rabbits...
- Fast preparation of the seawater accommodated fraction of heavy fuel oil by sonication
Institute of Environmental Science and Technology, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, Bellaterra 08193, Catalonia, Spain
Chemosphere 73:1811-6. 2008
..Here we describe a simple and fast set up, using sonication, to produce reproducible SWAF in the laboratory...
- The development and evaluation of ultrasound for the treatment of bacterial suspensions. A study of frequency, power and sonication time on cultured Bacillus species
Sonochemistry Centre, School of Science and the Environment, Coventry University, CV1 5FB, Coventry, UK
Ultrason Sonochem 10:315-8. 2003
..In assessing the bacterial kill with time under different sonication regimes three types of behaviour were characterized: High power ultrasound (lower frequencies) in low volumes of ..
- Sonochemically fabricated microelectrode arrays for biosensors offering widespread applicability: Part I
Andrew C Barton
Institute of BioScience and Technology, Cranfield University at Silsoe, Cranfield Centre for Analytical Science Silsoe, Cranfield, Bedfordshire MK45 4DT, UK
Biosens Bioelectron 20:328-37. 2004
..Sensors already developed for ethanol, oxalate and a number of pesticide determinations will be reported in subsequent publications...
- Improved Agrobacterium-mediated transformation of sunflower (Helianthus annuus L.): assessment of macerating enzymes and sonication
Institut für Pflanzenbau und Pflanzenzüchtung I, LS Pflanzenzüchtung, Justus Liebig Universitat, Heinrich Buff Ring 26 32, 35392 Giessen, Germany
Plant Cell Rep 21:475-82. 2003
..was evaluated following wounding by cell-wall-digesting enzymes and sonication. The frequency of explants with regenerated shoots expressing GUS (beta-glucuronidase) or GFP (green fluorescent ..
- Evaluation of disruption methods for the release of intracellular recombinant protein from Escherichia coli for analytical purposes
Division of Biotechnology, Department of Physics and Measurement Technology, Linkoping University, SE 581 83 Linkoping, Sweden
Biotechnol Appl Biochem 40:83-8. 2004
..Three methods of cell disruption, sonication, osmotic shock and chemical treatment using a non-ionic surfactant, were critically compared with respect to ..
- Apoptotic effects of selected strains of lactic acid bacteria on a human T leukemia cell line are associated with bacterial arginine deiminase and/or sphingomyelinase activities
L Di Marzio
Department of Experimental Medicine, University of L'Aquila, 67100 L'Aquila, Italy
Nutr Cancer 40:185-96. 2001
..On the other hand, our results indicate that apoptosis induced by CD2 samples could also be associated with high levels of arginine deiminase activity, which in turn was able to downregulate polyamine synthesis in Jurkat cells...
- Brief ultrasonication improves detection of biofilm-formative bacteria around a metal implant
Department of Anatomic Pathology, The Cleveland Clinic, OH 44195 5138, USA
Clin Orthop Relat Res 457:210-3. 2007
..b>Sonication for 1 minute increased the yield of bacteria...
- Gene therapy progress and prospects: ultrasound for gene transfer
C M H Newman
Cardiovascular Research Unit, School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, University of Sheffield, Sheffield, UK
Gene Ther 14:465-75. 2007
..Loading MCB with nucleic acids and/or disease-targeting ligands may further improve the efficiency and specificity of UEGT such that clinical testing becomes a realistic prospect...
- Measurement and correlation of acoustic cavitation with cellular bioeffects
Daniel M Hallow
School of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering, Georgia Insitute of Technology, Atlanta, GA 30332 0100, USA
Ultrasound Med Biol 32:1111-22. 2006
..Using broadband noise as a measure of cavitation activity, this study determined the kinetics of cavitation during sonication of Optison contrast agent and tested whether cellular bioeffects can be predicted by cavitation dose...
- Evaluation of quantitative analysis of cultures from sonicated retrieved orthopedic implants in diagnosis of orthopedic infection
Department of Clinical Microbiology, Fundación Jiménez Díaz UTE, Universidad Autonoma de Madrid, Madrid, Spain
J Clin Microbiol 46:488-92. 2008
..microbiological diagnosis of device-related osteoarticular infections, we have developed a protocol based on the sonication of device samples, followed by concentration and inoculation of the sonicate in a broad variety of media in a ..
- Development of a laboratory model to assess the removal of biofilm from interproximal spaces by powered tooth brushing
Washington State University, Pullman, Washington, USA
Am J Dent 15:12B-17B. 2002
..To develop an interproximal laboratory model to compare the potential effectiveness of powered brushing to remove biofilm plaque from interproximal spaces beyond the reach of bristles...
- Application of sonication to release DNA from Bacillus cereus for quantitative detection by real-time PCR
Else Marie Fykse
Norwegian Defence Research Establishment, Division for Protection and Materiel, PO Box 25, N 2027 Kjeller, Norway
J Microbiol Methods 55:1-10. 2003
A rapid sonication method for lysis of Gram-positive bacteria was evaluated for use in combination with quantitative real-time polymerase chain reaction (PCR) analyses for detection...
- Comparison of the interproximal plaque removal efficacy of two powered toothbrushes using in vitro oral biofilms
Christopher K Hope
Department of Microbiology, Eastman Dental Institute for Oral Healthcare Sciences, University College London, UK
Am J Dent 15:7B-11B. 2002
- Extraction of up to 95% of wheat (Triticum aestivum) flour protein using warm sodium dodecyl sulfate (SDS) without reduction or sonication
Frances M DuPont
United States Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service, Western Regional Research Center, 800 Buchanan Street, Albany, California 94710, USA
J Agric Food Chem 56:7431-8. 2008
Extraction of glutenin polymers without sonication is an essential prerequisite for accurate determination of their composition and molecular size distribution. Sequential fractionation of wheat flour with 0.1 M KCl and 0...