Genomes and Genes
Summary: The study of systems which respond disproportionately (nonlinearly) to initial conditions or perturbing stimuli. Nonlinear systems may exhibit "chaos" which is classically characterized as sensitive dependence on initial conditions. Chaotic systems, while distinguished from more ordered periodic systems, are not random. When their behavior over time is appropriately displayed (in "phase space"), constraints are evident which are described by "strange attractors". Phase space representations of chaotic systems, or strange attractors, usually reveal fractal (FRACTALS) self-similarity across time scales. Natural, including biological, systems often display nonlinear dynamics and chaos.
Publications330 found, 100 shown here
- Dynamic causal modellingK J Friston
The Wellcome Department of Imaging Neuroscience, Institute of Neurology, Queen Square, London WC1N 3BG, UK
Neuroimage 19:1273-302. 2003..psychophysiologic interactions). However, unlike previous approaches in neuroimaging, the causal model ascribes responses to designed deterministic inputs, as opposed to treating inputs as unknown and stochastic...
- Distributed lag non-linear modelsA Gasparrini
Public Health and Policy Department, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, Keppel Street, London W1C 7HT, U K
Stat Med 29:2224-34. 2010....
- Parameter estimation in biochemical pathways: a comparison of global optimization methodsCarmen G Moles
Process Engineering Group, Instituto de Investigaciones Marinas CSIC, 36208 Vigo, Spain
Genome Res 13:2467-74. 2003..Although these stochastic methods cannot guarantee global optimality with certainty, their robustness, plus the fact that in inverse problems they have a known lower bound for the cost function, make them the best available candidates...
- Models for the relationship between ambient temperature and daily mortalityBen Armstrong
London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London, UK
Epidemiology 17:624-31. 2006..The temperature-mortality relationship is often found to be substantially nonlinear and to persist (but change shape) with increasing lag. We review and extend models for such nonlinear multilag forms...
- Physiological time-series analysis using approximate entropy and sample entropyJ S Richman
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Virginia Health Sciences Center, Charlottesville 22908, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 278:H2039-49. 2000..The improved accuracy of SampEn statistics should make them useful in the study of experimental clinical cardiovascular and other biological time series...
- Human movement variability, nonlinear dynamics, and pathology: is there a connection?Nicholas Stergiou
Nebraska Biomechanics Core Facility, University of Nebraska at Omaha, 6001 Dodge Street, Omaha, NE 68182 0216, USA
Hum Mov Sci 30:869-88. 2011..The concept of variability and the measures for nonlinear dynamics used to evaluate this concept open new vistas for research in movement dysfunction of many types...
- The impact of temperature on mortality in Tianjin, China: a case-crossover design with a distributed lag nonlinear modelYuming Guo
School of Public Health, Queensland University of Technology, Brisbane, Australia
Environ Health Perspect 119:1719-25. 2011..Additionally, little evidence is available on the temperature-mortality relationship in China or on what temperature measure is the best predictor of mortality...
- Systems biology: parameter estimation for biochemical modelsMaksat Ashyraliyev
Centrum voor Wiskunde en Informatica, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
FEBS J 276:886-902. 2009..In this minireview, we discuss the identifiability of models, both intrinsic to the model and taking into account the available data. Furthermore, we give an overview of the most frequently used approaches to search the parameter space...
- Flexible control of mutual inhibition: a neural model of two-interval discriminationChristian K Machens
Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, 1 Bungtown Road, Cold Spring Harbor, NY 11724, USA
Science 307:1121-4. 2005..Mutual inhibition between nonlinear units is a useful design motif for networks that must display multiple behaviors...
- Transfer entropy--a model-free measure of effective connectivity for the neurosciencesRaul Vicente
Max Planck Institute for Brain Research, Frankfurt, Germany
J Comput Neurosci 30:45-67. 2011..In particular, we demonstrate that TE improved the detectability of effective connectivity for non-linear interactions, and for sensor level MEG signals where linear methods are hampered by signal-cross-talk due to volume conduction...
- Nonlinear dynamical analysis of EEG and MEG: review of an emerging fieldC J Stam
Department of Clinical Neurophysiology, VU University Medical Centre, P O Box 7057, 1007 MB Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Clin Neurophysiol 116:2266-301. 2005..low and fluctuating level of synchronization of the neuronal networks; (ii) hypersynchronous, highly nonlinear dynamics of epileptic seizures; (iii) dynamics of degenerative encephalopathies with an abnormally low level of ..
- State-dependent computations: spatiotemporal processing in cortical networksDean V Buonomano
Department of Neurobiology, Brain Research Institute, University of California, Los Angeles, California 90095, USA
Nat Rev Neurosci 10:113-25. 2009....
- A simple model for complex dynamical transitions in epidemicsD J Earn
Department of Mathematics and Statistics, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario L8S 4K1, Canada
Science 287:667-70. 2000..Measles is a natural ecological system that exhibits different dynamical transitions at different times and places, yet all of these transitions can be predicted as bifurcations of a single nonlinear model...
- Nonlinear multivariate analysis of neurophysiological signalsErnesto Pereda
Department of Basic Physics, College of Physics and Mathematics, University of La Laguna, Avda Astrofísico Fco Sánchez s n, 38205 La Laguna, Tenerife, Spain
Prog Neurobiol 77:1-37. 2005..Finally, we illustrate the use of multivariate surrogate data test for the assessment of the strength (strong or weak) and the type (linear or nonlinear) of interdependence between neurophysiological signals...
- Neural activity in macaque parietal cortex reflects temporal integration of visual motion signals during perceptual decision makingAlexander C Huk
Center for Perceptual Systems, Department of Psychology, University of Texas, Austin, Texas 78712, USA
J Neurosci 25:10420-36. 2005..Temporal integration may be a fundamental computation underlying higher cognitive functions that are dissociated from immediate sensory inputs or motor outputs...
- Spike-triggered neural characterizationOdelia Schwartz
Howard Hughes Medical Institute and The Salk Intitute, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
J Vis 6:484-507. 2006..We describe this methodology, demonstrating it with simulated model neuron examples that emphasize practical issues that arise in experimental situations...
- Dynamic I-V curves are reliable predictors of naturalistic pyramidal-neuron voltage tracesLaurent Badel
Laboratory of Computational Neuroscience, School of Computer and Communication Sciences and Brain Institute, Lausanne, Switzerland
J Neurophysiol 99:656-66. 2008..The predictions of the resulting model are in excellent agreement with experimental data and close to the intrinsic neuronal reproducibility to repeated stimuli...
- A simple white noise analysis of neuronal light responsesE J Chichilnisky
Systems Neurobiology, The Salk Institute, La Jolla, CA 92037 1099, USA
Network 12:199-213. 2001..Advantages and disadvantages of the technique relative to classical approaches are discussed...
- A systems biology approach to cancer: fractals, attractors, and nonlinear dynamicsSimona Dinicola
Department of Experimental Medicine, Sapienza University, Roma, Italy
OMICS 15:93-104. 2011..Within this framework it seems that function follows form, and not the other way around...
- Population pharmacokinetics of dihydroartemisinin and piperaquine in pregnant and nonpregnant women with uncomplicated malariaJoel Tarning
Mahidol Oxford Tropical Medicine Research Unit, Faculty of Tropical Medicine, Mahidol University, Bangkok, Thailand
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 56:1997-2007. 2012..The clinical impact of these pharmacokinetic findings in pregnant women with uncomplicated malaria needs to be evaluated in larger series...
- Prediction-corrected visual predictive checks for diagnosing nonlinear mixed-effects modelsMartin Bergstrand
Department of Pharmaceutical Biosciences, Uppsala University, Sweden
AAPS J 13:143-51. 2011..The pcVPC was in contrast to traditional VPCs shown to be readily applicable to data from studies with a priori and/or a posteriori dose adaptations...
- Estimating parameters and hidden variables in non-linear state-space models based on ODEs for biological networks inferenceMinh Quach
IBISC FRE CNRS 2873, University of Evry and Genopole 523, place des terrasses 91025 Evry, France
Bioinformatics 23:3209-16. 2007..However, biological systems considered as dynamical, non-linear and generally partially observed processes may be difficult to estimate even if the structure of interactions is given...
- Generating coherent patterns of activity from chaotic neural networksDavid Sussillo
Department of Neuroscience, Department of Physiology and Cellular Biophysics, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, NY 10032 2695, USA
Neuron 63:544-57. 2009..Our results reproduce data on premovement activity in motor and premotor cortex, and suggest that synaptic plasticity may be a more rapid and powerful modulator of network activity than generally appreciated...
- Effects of temperature on mortality in Chiang Mai city, Thailand: a time series studyYuming Guo
School of Public Health, Queensland University of Technology, Kelvin Grove, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Environ Health 11:36. 2012..However, less evidence is available in developing countries, especially in Thailand. In this study, we examined the relationship between temperature and mortality in Chiang Mai city, Thailand, during 1999-2008...
- DEM: a variational treatment of dynamic systemsK J Friston
The Wellcome Department of Imaging Neuroscience, University College London, United Kingdom
Neuroimage 41:849-85. 2008..Furthermore, it provides for dual and triple inferences on a system's states, parameters and hyperparameters using exactly the same principles. We refer to this approach as dynamic expectation maximisation (DEM)...
- Nonlinear signal transfer from mouse rods to bipolar cells and implications for visual sensitivityGreg D Field
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, University of Washington, Box 357290, Seattle 98195, USA
Neuron 34:773-85. 2002..As a consequence, rod bipolars provide a near-optimal readout of rod signals at light levels near visual threshold...
- Spatiotemporal elements of macaque v1 receptive fieldsNicole C Rust
Center for Neural Science and New York University, New York, New York 10003, USA
Neuron 46:945-56. 2005..Suppressive signals are especially potent in direction-selective cells, where they reduce responses to stimuli moving in the nonpreferred direction...
- Dimensionality reduction in neural models: an information-theoretic generalization of spike-triggered average and covariance analysisJonathan W Pillow
Gatsby Computational Neuroscience Unit, University College London, London, UK
J Vis 6:414-28. 2006..We demonstrate the effectiveness of the method by applying it to simulated responses of a Hodgkin-Huxley neuron and the recorded extracellular responses of macaque retinal ganglion cells and V1 cells...
- Brain coordination dynamics: true and false faces of phase synchrony and metastabilityEmmanuelle Tognoli
Human Brain and Behavior Laboratory, Center for Complex Systems and Brain Sciences, Florida Atlantic University, 777 Glades Road, Boca Raton, FL 33431, USA
Prog Neurobiol 87:31-40. 2009..Key predictions of cortical coordination dynamics can now be tested thereby revealing the essential modus operandi of the intact living brain...
- Motor adaptation as a greedy optimization of error and effortJeremy L Emken
Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering Department, University of California, Irvine, California 92697 3975, USA
J Neurophysiol 97:3997-4006. 2007..We found however that the equation adequately captured the pattern of errors and thus conclude that motor adaptation to a force field can be approximated as an optimization of effort and error for a range of experimental conditions...
- Dynamic causal modelling of induced responsesC C Chen
Wellcome Trust Centre for Neuroimaging, Institute of Neurology, University College London, UK
Neuroimage 41:1293-312. 2008..We then apply our model to EEG data from a face-perception experiment, to ask whether there is evidence for non-linear coupling between early visual cortex and fusiform areas...
- Decision-making and Weber's law: a neurophysiological modelGustavo Deco
Institucio Catalana de Recerca i Estudis Avancats ICREA, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, Department of Technology, Computational Neuroscience, Passeig de Circumvalacio, Barcelona, Spain
Eur J Neurosci 24:901-16. 2006..Thus the neurophysiological basis for a psychophysical effect, Weber's Law, can be related to statistical fluctuations and divisive inhibition in an attractor decision-making network...
- Nonlinear connectivity by Granger causalityDaniele Marinazzo
Laboratory of Neurophysics and Physiology, CNRS UMR 8119, Universite Paris Descartes, Paris, France
Neuroimage 58:330-8. 2011..We review them and focus on a recently proposed flexible approach has been recently proposed, consisting in the kernel version of Granger causality. We show the application of the proposed approach on EEG signals and fMRI data...
- Genetic network inference: from co-expression clustering to reverse engineeringP D'haeseleer
University of New Mexico, Department of Computer Science, Albuquerque, NM 87131, USA
Bioinformatics 16:707-26. 2000..We conclude that the combination of predictive modeling with systematic experimental verification will be required to gain a deeper insight into living organisms, therapeutic targeting and bioengineering...
- On the use of log-transformation vs. nonlinear regression for analyzing biological power lawsXiao Xiao
Department of Biology, Utah State University, Logan, Utah 84322 5305, USA
Ecology 92:1887-94. 2011..We provide detailed guidelines and associated computer code for doing so, including a model averaging approach for cases where the error structure is uncertain...
- Population pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic modeling of amodiaquine and desethylamodiaquine in women with Plasmodium vivax malaria during and after pregnancyJoel Tarning
Mahidol Oxford Tropical Medicine Research Unit, Mahidol University, Bangkok, Thailand
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 56:5764-73. 2012..2% to 7.4% at day 35. In conclusion, pregnancy did not have a clinically relevant impact on the pharmacokinetic properties of amodiaquine or desethylamodiaquine. No dose adjustments are required in pregnancy...
- Intrinsic adaptation in autonomous recurrent neural networksDimitrije Marković
Institute for Theoretical Physics, J W Goethe University, 60438 Frankfurt am Main, Hessen, Germany
Neural Comput 24:523-40. 2012..We discuss these findings in the context of self-organized information processing and critical brain dynamics...
- Lifespan differences in nonlinear dynamics during rest and auditory oddball performanceViktor Müller
Center for Lifespan Psychology, Max Planck Institute for Human Development, Berlin, Germany
Dev Sci 15:540-56. 2012..undergo substantial reorganization from childhood to old age, and propose that lifespan age differences in nonlinear dynamics during stimulus processing reflect lifespan changes in the functional organization of neuronal cell ..
- Do existing measures of Poincaré plot geometry reflect nonlinear features of heart rate variability?M Brennan
Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, The University of Melboume, Parkville, Victoria, Australia
IEEE Trans Biomed Eng 48:1342-7. 2001..Therefore, further work is needed to determine if better methods of characterizing Poincaré plot geometry can be found...
- Cooperative nonlinearities in auditory cortical neuronsCraig A Atencio
University of California, San Francisco University of California, Berkeley Bioengineering Graduate Group, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
Neuron 58:956-66. 2008..The difference between the nonlinearities suggests different possible roles for the MIDs in auditory processing...
- Examples of testing global identifiability of biological and biomedical models with the DAISY softwareMaria Pia Saccomani
Department of Information Engineering, University of Padova, Padova, Italy
Comput Biol Med 40:402-7. 2010..DAISY is available on the web site http://www.dei.unipd.it/ approximately pia/...
- Chaos in a long-term experiment with a plankton communityElisa Benincà
Aquatic Microbiology, Institute for Biodiversity and Ecosystem Dynamics, University of Amsterdam, Nieuwe Achtergracht 127, 1018 WS Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Nature 451:822-5. 2008..This implies that stability is not required for the persistence of complex food webs, and that the long-term prediction of species abundances can be fundamentally impossible...
- Robust spatial working memory through homeostatic synaptic scaling in heterogeneous cortical networksAlfonso Renart
Volen Center for Complex Systems, Brandeis University, Waltham, MA 02454, USA
Neuron 38:473-85. 2003..We conclude that recurrent attractor networks in conjunction with appropriate homeostatic mechanisms provide a robust, biologically plausible theoretical framework for understanding the neural circuit basis of spatial working memory...
- Nonlinear synchronization in EEG and whole-head MEG recordings of healthy subjectsCornelis J Stam
Department of Clinical Neurophysiology, VU University Medical Centre, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Hum Brain Mapp 19:63-78. 2003..this model (the existence of nonlinear synchronization between macroscopic field potentials and itinerant nonlinear dynamics) were investigated. The dependence of nonlinearity on the method of measuring brain activity (EEG vs...
- Fast global oscillations in networks of integrate-and-fire neurons with low firing ratesN Brunel
Ecole Normale Sup and eacuste rieure, LPS, 24 rue Lhomond, 75231 Paris, Cedex 5, France
Neural Comput 11:1621-71. 1999..Their characteristics are determined as functions of systems parameters in these two different regions. The results are found to be in good agreement with numerical simulations...
- Measuring response to therapy using FDG PET: semi-quantitative and full kinetic analysisPatsuree Cheebsumon
Department of Nuclear Medicine and PET Research, VU University Medical Center, PO Box 7057, 1007 MB Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging 38:832-42. 2011..The goal of this study was to analyse and compare various semi-quantitative measures for response assessment with full kinetic analysis, specifically in assessment of novel therapies...
- Glycolytic oscillations and limits on robust efficiencyFiona A Chandra
Department of Bioengineering, California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, CA 91125, USA
Science 333:187-92. 2011..The theory also suggests worst-case conditions that are consistent with initial experiments...
- Construction of a 3D probabilistic atlas of human cortical structuresDavid W Shattuck
Laboratory of Neuro Imaging, Department of Neurology, David Geffen School of Medicine, University of California, Los Angeles, 635 Charles Young Drive South, NRB1, Suite 225, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Neuroimage 39:1064-80. 2008....
- Synchronization and rhythmic processes in physiologyL Glass
Department of Physiology, Centre for Nonlinear Dynamics in Physiology and Medicine, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Nature 410:277-84. 2001....
- Predictive non-linear modeling of complex data by artificial neural networksJonas S Almeida
Department of Biometry and Epidemiology, Medical University South Carolina, 135 Rutledge Avenue, PO Box 250551, Charleston SC 29425, USA
Curr Opin Biotechnol 13:72-6. 2002..The application of ANNs to complex relationships makes them highly attractive for the study of biological systems. Recent applications include the analysis of expression profiles and genomic and proteomic sequences...
- Discrimination of dynamical system models for biological and chemical processesSönke Lorenz
Institute for Mathematics II, Free University of Berlin Arnimallee 2 6, 14195 Berlin, Germany
J Comput Chem 28:1384-99. 2007..The article introduces the new approach, discusses its statistical background, presents numerical techniques for its implementation and illustrates the application to examples from biokinetics...
- Comparison of the Newtonian and relativistic predicted trajectories for a low-speed periodically delta-kicked systemBoon Leong Lan
School of Engineering, Monash University, 46150 Petaling Jaya, Selangor, Malaysia
Chaos 16:033107. 2006..In the latter nonchaotic case, the difference grows much slower, for example, linearly on average...
- Scale invariance in biology: coincidence or footprint of a universal mechanism?T Gisiger
Groupe de Physique des Particules, Universite de Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Biol Rev Camb Philos Soc 76:161-209. 2001..This article also discusses how the notion of scale invariance can give important insights into the workings of biological systems...
- Relevance of nonlinear lumped-parameter models in the analysis of depth-EEG epileptic signalsF Wendling
Laboratoire Traitement du Signal et de l Image, INSERM Université de Rennes 1, France
Biol Cybern 83:367-78. 2000..Results are compared and show that, through the model, real SEEG signals can be interpreted with the aid of signal processing methods...
- Six problems for causal inference from fMRIJ D Ramsey
Department of Philosophy, Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Neuroimage 49:1545-58. 2010....
- Synchronization dynamics in response to plaid stimuli in monkey V1Bruss Lima
Max Planck Institute for Brain Research, 60528 Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Cereb Cortex 20:1556-73. 2010..Overall, our results suggest that the functional architecture of the cortex is a major determinant of the neuronal synchronization dynamics in V1...
- Decrease of cardiac chaos in congestive heart failureC S Poon
Harvard MIT Division of Health Sciences and Technology, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge 02139, USA
Nature 389:492-5. 1997..It has been proposed that the normal heartbeat may display complex nonlinear dynamics, including deterministic chaos, and that such cardiac chaos may be a useful physiological marker for the ..
- Similarity effect and optimal control of multiple-choice decision makingMoran Furman
Department of Neurobiology, Kavli Institute for Neuroscience, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 06510, USA
Neuron 60:1153-68. 2008..A mechanism is proposed for flexible control of speed-accuracy tradeoff, based on a simple top-down signal to the decision circuit that may vary nonmonotonically with the number of choice alternatives...
- Vestibular signals in macaque extrastriate visual cortex are functionally appropriate for heading perceptionSheng Liu
Department of Neurobiology, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri 63110, USA
J Neurosci 29:8936-45. 2009..These findings show that vestibular signals in MSTd are appropriately processed to support a functional role in multisensory heading perception...
- Statistical assessment of nonlinear causality: application to epileptic EEG signalsMario Chavez
Laboratoire de Neurosciences Cognitives et d Imagerie Cérébrale LENA, hôpital La Pitié Salpêtrière, CNRS UPR 640, 47 bd de l Hopital, 75651 Paris Cedex 13, France
J Neurosci Methods 124:113-28. 2003..The framework proposed here provides a useful and model free test to characterize interactions in intracranial electroencephalography (EEG) signals...
- Dynamic causal modeling of evoked responses in EEG and MEGOlivier David
Wellcome Department of Imaging Neuroscience, Functional Imaging Laboratory, Institute of Neurology, UCL, 12 Queen Square, London WC1N 3BG, UK
Neuroimage 30:1255-72. 2006..These examples show that category- or context-specific coupling among cortical regions can be assessed explicitly, within a mechanistic, biologically motivated inference framework...
- Grid cells: the position code, neural network models of activity, and the problem of learningPeter E Welinder
Computation and Neural Systems, California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, California, USA
Hippocampus 18:1283-300. 2008....
- Experimental demonstration of chaos in a microbial food webLutz Becks
Department of General Ecology and Limnology, Zoological Institute, University of Cologne, D 50923 Köln, Germany
Nature 435:1226-9. 2005..The observed dynamics were verified by estimating the corresponding Lyapunov exponents. Such a defined microbial food web offers a new possibility for the experimental study of deterministic chaos in real biological systems...
- Chaos may enhance information transmission in the inferior oliveNicolas Schweighofer
Core Research for Evolutional Science and Technology, Japan Science and Technology Corporation, 2 2 2, Hikaridai, Seika cho, Soraku gun, Kyoto 619 0288, Japan
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 101:4655-60. 2004..This "chaotic resonance" may allow rich error signals to reach individual Purkinje cells, even at low firing rates, allowing efficient cerebellar learning...
- Complete functional characterization of sensory neurons by system identificationMichael C K Wu
Biophysics Graduate Group, University of California, Berkeley, California 94720, USA
Annu Rev Neurosci 29:477-505. 2006....
- Intrinsic mechanisms for adaptive gain rescaling in barrel cortexMarta Díaz-Quesada
Instituto de Neurociencias de Alicante, Universidad Miguel Hernández de Elche Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Científicas, Campus de San Juan, 03550 Sant Joan d Alacant, Spain
J Neurosci 28:696-710. 2008..Our results suggest that widely expressed intrinsic mechanisms participate in barrel cortex adaptation but that their recruitment is highly stimulus specific...
- Long-term potentiation in rat hippocampal neurons is accompanied by spatially widespread changes in intrinsic oscillatory dynamics and excitabilityRishikesh Narayanan
Center for Learning and Memory, The University of Texas at Austin, Austin, TX 78712, USA
Neuron 56:1061-75. 2007..Our results suggest that the frequency response of these neurons depends on the dendritic location of their inputs and that activity can regulate their response dynamics within an oscillating neural network...
- Behavior-dependent short-term assembly dynamics in the medial prefrontal cortexShigeyoshi Fujisawa
Center for Molecular and Behavioral Neuroscience, Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, 197 University Avenue, Newark, New Jersey 07102, USA
Nat Neurosci 11:823-33. 2008..Seeking potential mechanisms for such effects, we found evidence for both firing pattern-dependent facilitation and depression, as well as for a supralinear effect of presynaptic coincidence on the firing of postsynaptic targets...
- Computational significance of transient dynamics in cortical networksDaniel Durstewitz
Centre for Theoretical and Computational Neuroscience, University of Plymouth, Portland Square, Drake Circus, Plymouth PL4 8AA, UK
Eur J Neurosci 27:217-27. 2008..Neural computation has to exploit the itinerant dynamics between these states...
- Nonlinear spectrotemporal sound analysis by neurons in the auditory midbrainMonty A Escabi
W M Keck Center for Integrative Neuroscience and University of California San Francisco University of California Berkeley Joint Bioengineering Graduate Group, University of California, San Francisco, California 94143, USA
J Neurosci 22:4114-31. 2002..Our findings delineate rules for spectrotemporal integration in the ICC that cannot be accounted for by conventional linear-energy integration models...
- Validation of a one-dimensional model of the systemic arterial treePhilippe Reymond
Laboratory of Hemodynamics and Cardiovascular Technology, Ecole Polytechnique Federale de Lausanne, Lausanne, Switzerland
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 297:H208-22. 2009..The study constitutes a first validation of the complete 1-D model using human pressure and flow data and supports the applicability of the 1-D model in the human circulation...
- Dendritic computationMichael London
Wolfson Institute for Biomedical Research and Department of Physiology, University College London, London WC1E 6BT, UK
Annu Rev Neurosci 28:503-32. 2005..We discuss why these dendritic properties may be essential for the computations performed by the neuron and the network and provide theoretical and experimental examples to support this view...
- Which model to use for cortical spiking neurons?Eugene M Izhikevich
The Neurosciences Institute, San Diego, CA 92121, USA
IEEE Trans Neural Netw 15:1063-70. 2004..We discuss the biological plausibility and computational efficiency of some of the most useful models of spiking and bursting neurons. We compare their applicability to large-scale simulations of cortical neural networks...
- Testing for directed influences among neural signals using partial directed coherenceBjörn Schelter
FDM, Freiburg Center for Data Analysis and Modeling, University of Freiburg, and Department of Neurology, University Hospital of Freiburg, Germany
J Neurosci Methods 152:210-9. 2006..The performance of this test is illustrated by means of linear and non-linear model systems and in an application to electroencephalography and electromyography data recorded from a patient suffering from essential tremor...
- Nonlinear information processing in a model sensory systemMaurice J Chacron
Department of Zoology, University of Oklahoma, 730 Van Vleet Oval, Norman, OK 73019, USA
J Neurophysiol 95:2933-46. 2006..These results show that nonlinear decoders are necessary to fully access information in pyramidal cell spike trains, and we discuss potential mechanisms by which higher-order neurons could decode this information...
- High-resolution nonlinear optical imaging of live cells by second harmonic generationP J Campagnola
Department of Physiology and Center for Biomedical Imaging Technology, University of Connecticut Health Center, Farmington, Connecticut 06030 USA
Biophys J 77:3341-9. 1999..It is also shown that SHIM is highly sensitive to membrane potential, with a depolarization of 25 mV resulting in an approximately twofold loss of signal intensity...
- Sparsely synchronized neuronal oscillationsNicolas Brunel
Laboratoire de Neurophysique et Physiologie, Universite Paris Descartes, 45 Rue des Saints Peres, 75270 Paris Cedex 06, France
Chaos 18:015113. 2008..We end by a comparison of experimental data and theoretical results...
- Artificial synaptic conductances reduce subthreshold oscillations and periodic firing in stellate cells of the entorhinal cortexFernando R Fernandez
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Boston University, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
J Neurosci 28:3790-803. 2008..Our results suggest that subthreshold oscillations may contribute less to in vivo response properties than has been hypothesized...
- Efficient computation and cue integration with noisy population codesS Deneve
Department of Brain and Cognitive Sciences, University of Rochester, Rochester, New York 14627, USA
Nat Neurosci 4:826-31. 2001..Thus, basis function networks with multidimensional attractors may be used by the brain to compute efficiently with population codes...
- Thalamic synchrony and dynamic regulation of global forebrain oscillationsJohn R Huguenard
Department of Neurology and Neurological Sciences, Room M016 Medical Center, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
Trends Neurosci 30:350-6. 2007..This review is part of the INMED/TINS special issue Physiogenic and pathogenic oscillations: the beauty and the beast, based on presentations at the annual INMED/TINS symposium (http://inmednet.com)...
- Inference for nonlinear dynamical systemsE L Ionides
Department of Statistics, University of Michigan, 1085 South University Avenue, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 1107, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:18438-43. 2006..We construct confidence intervals, perform residual analysis, and apply other diagnostics. Our analysis, based upon a model capturing the intrinsic nonlinear dynamics of the system, reveals some effects overlooked by previous studies.
- Precisely timed spatiotemporal patterns of neural activity in dissociated cortical culturesJ D Rolston
Laboratory for Neuroengineering, Coulter Department of Biomedical Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology and Emory University, Atlanta, GA 30332 0535, USA
Neuroscience 148:294-303. 2007....
- Diagnosing model diagnosticsM O Karlsson
Department of Pharmaceutical Biosciences, Uppsala University, Uppsala, Sweden
Clin Pharmacol Ther 82:17-20. 2007..Thus, a diagnosis of available diagnostics is desirable...
- Heterogenous population coding of a short-term memory and decision taskJoseph K Jun
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Princeton Neuroscience Institute and Department of Molecular Biology, Princeton University, Princeton, New Jersey 08544, USA
J Neurosci 30:916-29. 2010..Our study points to a different class of models that should embrace the inherent heterogeneity of the data, but should also account for the nonrandom features of the population...
- Linear and nonlinear contributions to the visual sensitivity of neurons in primate lateral geniculate nucleusSamuel G Solomon
Discipline of Physiology, School of Medical Sciences and Bosch Institute, University of Sydney, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
J Neurophysiol 104:1884-98. 2010..This suggests that the nonlinear cells provide complimentary signals to those of P- and M-cells, with reasonably high fidelity, and may play an important role in normal visual processing...
- Context dependence of spectro-temporal receptive fields with implications for neural codingJos J Eggermont
Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Hear Res 271:123-32. 2011..Effects on STRF shape of task and attention are also briefly reviewed. Models to account for these changes, potential improvements to STRF analysis, and implications for neural coding are discussed...
- A nonlinear dynamic approach for evaluating postural control: new directions for the management of sport-related cerebral concussionJames T Cavanaugh
Geriatric Research, Education and Clinical Center, Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina, USA
Sports Med 35:935-50. 2005..It is recommended as an important supplemental assessment tool for determining an athlete's readiness to resume competitive activity...
- Fast remapping of sensory stimuli onto motor actions on the basis of contextual modulationEmilio Salinas
Department of Neurobiology and Anatomy, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston Salem, North Carolina 27157 1010, USA
J Neurosci 24:1113-8. 2004....
- The relationship between drug clearance and body size: systematic review and meta-analysis of the literature published from 2000 to 2007Sarah C McLeay
School of Pharmacy, University of Queensland, Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Clin Pharmacokinet 51:319-30. 2012..Given the increasing worldwide prevalence of obesity, it is essential to identify the best size descriptor so that dosing regimens can be developed that are suitable for patients of any size...
- A hippocampal cognitive prosthesis: multi-input, multi-output nonlinear modeling and VLSI implementationTheodore W Berger
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Center for Neural Engineering, Viterbi School of Engineering, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA 90089, USA
IEEE Trans Neural Syst Rehabil Eng 20:198-211. 2012....
- Rapid sample size calculations for a defined likelihood ratio test-based power in mixed-effects modelsCamille Vong
Department of Pharmaceutical Biosciences, Uppsala University, Box 591, 75124, Uppsala, Sweden
AAPS J 14:176-86. 2012..The suggested MCMP method provides a fast and accurate prediction of the power and sample size relationship...
- Selectivity for spectral motion as a neural computation for encoding natural communication signals in bat inferior colliculusSari Andoni
Section of Neurobiology, Institute for Neuroscience, and Center for Perceptual Systems, The University of Texas at Austin, Austin, Texas 78712, USA
J Neurosci 31:16529-40. 2011....
- Nonlinear time-series approaches in characterizing mood stability and mood instability in bipolar disorderM B Bonsall
Mathematical Ecology Research Group, Department of Zoology, University of Oxford, Oxford OX1 3PS, UK
Proc Biol Sci 279:916-24. 2012....
- The chaos within SudokuMaria Ercsey-Ravasz
Faculty of Physics, Babes Bolyai University, Str Kogalniceanu Nr 1, RO 400084 Cluj Napoca, Romania
Sci Rep 2:725. 2012..To our best knowledge, there are no known puzzles with η > 4...
- Variability of determinism in motor behaviorMichael A Riley
Department of Psychology, University of Cincinnati, Mail Location 0376, Cincinnati, OH 45221 0376, USA
J Mot Behav 34:99-125. 2002..It has also revealed general lessons (for example, more variable does not mean more random and more controllable does not mean more deterministic) that may extend to other classes of perceptual behavior...
- Theory of hybrid dynamical systems and its applications to biological and medical systemsKazuyuki Aihara
Institute of Industrial Science, University of Tokyo, 6 1 Komaba, Meguro ku, Tokyo 153 8505, Japan
Philos Trans A Math Phys Eng Sci 368:4893-914. 2010..The first aim of this Issue is to discuss recent developments in understanding nonlinear dynamics of hybrid dynamical systems in the two main theoretical fields of dynamical systems theory and control ..
- Model-based analyses of bioequivalence crossover trials using the stochastic approximation expectation maximisation algorithmAnne Dubois
INSERM UMR738, University Diderot Paris 7, Paris, France
Stat Med 30:2582-600. 2011..NLMEM-based bioequivalence tests are an alternative to standard NCA-based tests. However, caution is needed for small sample size and highly variable drug...
- Recurrences in heart rate dynamics are changed in patients with diabetes mellitusMichal Javorka
Institute of Physiology, Jessenius Faculty of Medicine, Comenius University, and Paediatric Clinic, University Hospital, Martin, Slovakia
Clin Physiol Funct Imaging 28:326-31. 2008..As RQA parameters are independent of overall HRV, parameters of RP should be used together with linear HRV parameters for better description of heart rate dysregulation in patients with diabetics...
- Generalized theorems for nonlinear state space reconstructionEthan R Deyle
Scripps Institution of Oceanography, University of California San Diego, La Jolla, California, United States of America
PLoS ONE 6:e18295. 2011..This paper aims to justify and help open this potential growth area for SSR applications in the natural sciences...
- Travelling waves of a delayed SIR epidemic model with nonlinear incidence rate and spatial diffusionJing Yang
Department of Physiology, Hebei Medical University, Shijiazhuang, People s Republic of China
PLoS ONE 6:e21128. 2011..By constructing a pair of upper-lower solutions, we derive the existence of a travelling wave connecting the disease-free steady state and the endemic steady state. Numerical simulations are carried out to illustrate the main results...
- Deterministic global optimization algorithm based on outer approximation for the parameter estimation of nonlinear dynamic biological systemsAnton Miró
Departament d Enginyeria Quimica, Universitat Rovira i Virgili, Tarragona, Spain
BMC Bioinformatics 13:90. 2012..In contrast, deterministic methods provide solutions of a given quality (i.e., optimality gap), but tend to lead to large computational burdens...
- Tracking Fatigue-Related Changes in Motor CoordinationJONATHAN DINGWELL; Fiscal Year: 2006..We will extend existing nonlinear dynamics algorithms developed for tracking damage accumulation in mechanical systems...
- Metabolic Oscillations in HeartJAMES N contact WEISS; Fiscal Year: 2010..These questions will be addressed in three Specific Aims which integrate computer simulations and nonlinear dynamics with experimental patch-clamp and imaging studies in isolated myocytes from rabbits, wild-type and ..
- Non-linear Characterization of the Stretch Reflex Arc and its NeuromodulationAMAN BEHAL; Fiscal Year: 2011..Our specific aims are: 1. To characterize the nonlinear dynamics of the basic elements (DRG cells, motoneurons, skeletal muscle) and subsystems (namely, DRG AE motoneuron, ..
- Complex Dynamic Systems in Mood DisordersAndrew A Nierenberg; Fiscal Year: 2010..Goldberger, Director of the Rey Institute for Nonlinear Dynamics in Medicine at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and Wyss Institute for Biological Inspired Engineering ..
- The Effect of Aging and Vascular Occlusion on Gait VariabilitySara A Myers; Fiscal Year: 2010..Methods from nonlinear dynamics, which are being used progressively more in the study of biological phenomena, will be used to analyze and ..
- Dynamics of Violence and Alcohol Use in CouplesSandra K Burge; Fiscal Year: 2013..Our program of study uses nonlinear dynamics analysis to "look inside the black box" of violent interchanges within couples...
- Modeling of transient oxygen delivery in the brainDavid B Ress; Fiscal Year: 2012..The proposed work will further vet our model, bringing it into the mainstream as a simple but powerful analytic description for cerebrovascular hemodynamics. ..
- Nonlinear Dynamics of Frailty in AgingLewis Lipsitz; Fiscal Year: 2013Over the past 2 decades of collaborative work using the tools of nonlinear dynamics and fractal analysis, our research team has shown that aging and disease are associated with a loss of complexity in the dynamics of a variety of ..
- Sparse Structural Equation Models for Gene Networks and Chemical GenomicsXiaodong Cai; Fiscal Year: 2013..It will also enable the application of high-dimensional SEMs in additional areas including economics, psychology, ecology, biobehavioral and other social science. ..
- Transient behaviors of adapting biological systemsEduardo Sontag; Fiscal Year: 2013..Broader significance will include new insights in nonlinear dynamics and systems biology, as the properties studied are emergent synthetic behaviors, not explainable easily from ..
- Nonlinear dynamics of complex sound processing in auditory cortexBRIAN MALONE; Fiscal Year: 2013..We hypothesize that the nonlinear dynamics of cortical responses endow them with a temporal precision that is essential to the robustness of SIN ..
- The Social Context of Social LossLauren A Lee; Fiscal Year: 2011..Pinpointing these mechanisms of change can ultimately inform preventative and therapeutic interventions. ..
- 2013 Cardiac Arrhythmia Mechanisms Gordon Research ConferenceMario Delmar; Fiscal Year: 2013..biology, protein chemistry, biophysics, theory of wave propagation, mapping, imaging, computer modeling and nonlinear dynamics. Communication is therefore key in the integration of such potentially disparate information, as we seek to ..
- Early warning indicators of tipping points in biological systemsJeff Gore; Fiscal Year: 2012..a complete understanding requires detailed knowledge of the system, recent progress in the theory of nonlinear dynamics argues that there are generic early warning indicators preceding such tipping points...
- Brain Ischemia and Nonlinear DynamicsDonald J DeGracia; Fiscal Year: 2013..We propose to measure these distances in two classes of neurons, CA1 and CA3, using a well-studied model of global brain I/R in the rat. ..
- A computational model to uncover basic signaling mechanisms of NK cell activationJayajit Das; Fiscal Year: 2012..NK cell activation by synergistically combining computational approaches rooted in statistical physics, nonlinear dynamics and engineering with wet lab experiments...
- Duke Center for Systems BiologyPhilip N Benfey; Fiscal Year: 2012..Analysis and modeling efforts will draw from expertise in Bayesian statistics, nonlinear dynamics, computational topology and geometry, and visualization...
- VERY LOW ENERGY CARDIOVERSION FOR ATRIAL FIBRILLATIONPatrick Wolf; Fiscal Year: 2003..These advances will increase our understanding of the progression of AF and allow a successful therapy for this debilitating disease to be more broadly applied. ..
- Advanced Technology and Tools for DBS Programming for Speech FunctionalityCraig van Horne; Fiscal Year: 2009..arise from the subjective nature of speech evaluation and the multiple levels of monitoring and feedback (nonlinear dynamics, NLD) in the speech-production system...
- Monitoring, Modeling &Forecasting Tools for Fostering Innovative S&T WorkforceKATY BORNER; Fiscal Year: 2013..Existing models in statistical mechanics, nonlinear dynamics, network theory, and evolutionary theory will be applied, synthesized and extended to capture the structure ..
- QUANTIFICATION OF IRREGULAR VOCAL FOLD OSCILLATIONSDavid Berry; Fiscal Year: 2001..Within the framework of nonlinear dynamics, evaluate current hypotheses regarding the physiological mechanisms of these transitions and instabilities...
- Nonlinear Dynamics and Enhanced Sensorimotor FunctionJames Collins; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Nonlinear dynamics of cellular signal transductionKenneth Foster; Fiscal Year: 2004..Since many diseases involve intracellular signaling, understanding the complex and inherently nonlinear strategies employed by cells is of broad clinical significance. ..
- LOW DIMENSIONAL CHAOS, NONLINEAR MAPS & NERVOUS SYSTEMJames Theiler; Fiscal Year: 1992..nonlinear elements, however, a natural alternative explanation is that the randomness derives from complex nonlinear dynamics such as chaos...
- Tree-Structured Prediction Model for Outcomes after PCIAbdissa Negassa; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- INHIBITION AND CEREBELLAR CORTICAL PROCESSINGDieter Jaeger; Fiscal Year: 2001..New insights into the computational algorithm taking place in cerebellum are necessary to guide the understanding of the mechanisms underlying cerebellar movement disorders. ..
- ION CURRENT ANALYSIS IN THE CORNEALARRY LIEBOVITCH; Fiscal Year: 1999..cells, 2) to develop and apply new mathematical methods, including powerful new methods of fractals and nonlinear dynamics (chaos) to analyze this data, and 3) to determine the properties of different types of dynamical models to ..
- DRUGS OF ABUSE--COMPLEXITY MEASURES CLASSIFY BEHAVIORMark Geyer; Fiscal Year: 1992The development, adaptation, and application of methods used in nonlinear dynamics to concrete biological data, specifically to analyse rat locomotor paths, is proposed...
- Stochastic Nonlinear Dynamics of Sensory Nervous SystemsDavid Russell; Fiscal Year: 2004..oscillations in hair cells and afferent terminals, (ii) in vivo preparations together with approaches from nonlinear dynamics to characterize the electro-receptor response dynamics, their transfer and sensory encoding properties, ..
- A dynamical framework for transient neuronal patternsEvelyn Sander; Fiscal Year: 2005..The PI is a mathematician with a background in nonlinear dynamics. She has an established collaboration with the coinvestigators, who are the director and two members of a ..
- NONLINEAR ANALYSIS OF POSTURAL FUNCTION IN INFANTSNick Stergiou; Fiscal Year: 2009..The candidate has backgrounds in biomechanics and mathematics, specifically nonlinear dynamics. He is a research-oriented quantitative scientist who plans to apply his analytical abilities to study ..
- Bayesian Methods and Experimental Design for Molecular Biology ExperimentsStella Karuri; Fiscal Year: 2007..The results of the proposed work will expedite discoveries in basic science, early disease detection, and drug discovery and development. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- NONLINEAR DYNAMICS OF NEURONAL TEMPORAL PROCESSINGJohn Rinzel; Fiscal Year: 2004..A deeper understanding of these surprising effects, as seen in the auditory mid-brain, should contribute to developing a theory for how motion of sound sources are analyzed in the brain. ..
- FLA5000 Imager and Progenesis Analytical SoftwareTeng Leong Chew; Fiscal Year: 2005..together with an analytical software package to interface with it: the Fuji FLA-5000 imaging system and NonLinear Dynamics' Progenesis software that will enable investigators to capture and compare complex protein patterns, and ..
- POPULATION PHARMACOKINETICS MODELING ON A SUPERCOMPUTERRoger Jelliffe; Fiscal Year: 2001..It will be even more friendly and useful with a new windows-like user interface for the PC user, easily and rapidly accessible over the internet and the world wide web. ..
- EMERGENCE AND SYNCHRONOUS ACTIVITY IN NEURONAL DYNAMICSErnest Barreto; Fiscal Year: 2004..The PI is a theoretical physicist with a background in nonlinear dynamics that has been developing a thermodynamic formalism that quantitatively describes transitions between ..
- Multiscale Dynamics of Cell Cycle Control and ApoptosisIvet Bahar; Fiscal Year: 2005..complexes and assemblies; (ii) Stochastic spatio-temporal dynamics of cellular microphysiology, and (iii) Nonlinear dynamics of signaling networks; (2) Integration of (i-iii) to bridge the gap between molecular and cellular models, ..
- Nonlinear dynamical seizure prediction and detectionMary Ann Harrison; Fiscal Year: 2002Techniques from nonlinear dynamics are potentially valuable for prediction of epileptic seizures based on preliminary results with reported prediction times of up to several minutes before electrographic onset...
- CORRELATION OF EEG BEHAVIORWalter Freeman; Fiscal Year: 1999..Recent advances in nonlinear dynamics and in the mathematical descriptions of chaos have provided a body of theory with which to predict the ..
- Synchronism and nonliner dynamics in seizure predictionMARK FREI; Fiscal Year: 2007..Much emphasis has been placed on techniques from nonlinear dynamics, including application of synchronization and dynamical invariants techniques...
- 2006 Mechanisms of epilepsy and neuronal synchronization Gordon ConferenceKevin Staley; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- INTERDISCIPLINARY DEVELOPMENT OF A COMPUTATIONAL TUMOR MEnnio Chiocca; Fiscal Year: 2000..To study these nonlinear dynamics, this interdisciplinary group at MGH-Brain Tumor Center and Princeton's Complex Material Theory Laboratory ..
- NONLINEAR AND FRACTAL MECHANISMS OF NEURAL CONTROLARY GOLDBERGER; Fiscal Year: 1991..fluctuations in heart rate provide a readily accessible model system for investigating the variety of nonlinear dynamics in a neuroautonomic network, and the general aim of this proposal is to evaluate the applicability of the ..
- THE DEVELOPMENT OF SKILLS IN INFANTSEsther Thelen; Fiscal Year: 1992..of the system are coupled in parallel, and where the resulting behavior obeys the general principles of nonlinear dynamics. Plans for professional growth include tutorial and collaboration with scientists working on dynamic and ..
- INTEGRATION OF BIFURCATION THEORY AND CONTINUOUS FMRIGregory Berns; Fiscal Year: 2002..An interdisciplinary bioengineering approach will be used to integrate the theory of nonlinear dynamics with both the analysis and design of functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) experiments...
- Visualization and Analysis of Caridac ElectrodynamicsMark Anthony Bray; Fiscal Year: 2002..The research will clarify phase singularity and filament behavior as well as the dynamics of phase resetting, on both a regional and a global epicardial basis. ..
- INTEGRATION OF BIFURCATION THEORY AND CONTINUOUS FMRIGregory Berns; Fiscal Year: 2003..An interdisciplinary bioengineering approach will be used to integrate the theory of nonlinear dynamics with both the analysis and design of functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) experiments...
- Complexity Loss, Aging and the Dynamics of FrailtyMadalena D Costa; Fiscal Year: 2010..With the support of mentors, whose work spans diverse fields of biology, clinical medicine, physics, nonlinear dynamics and biostatistics that are essential facets of a broad-based training program, Dr...
- Analysis of Heart Rate Variability in Sleep ApneaChi Sang Poon; Fiscal Year: 2005..Recently, there has been increasing recognition that heart rate variability analysis using nonlinear dynamics theory may provide a useful, noninvasive marker for the obstructive sleep apnea syndrome (OSAS)...
- Spatiotemporal ERP Modeling & Brain DevelopmentJoseph Isler; Fiscal Year: 2009..With his strong background in physics, nonlinear dynamics, time series analysis, applied mathematics and computer simulations of complex systems he has already made ..
- 2004 Endothelial Cell Phenotypes in Health & DiseaseWILLIAM AIRD; Fiscal Year: 2004..This R13 application is a request for partial funding of the first GRC on Endothelial Cell Phenotypes in Health and Disease in 2004. ..
- System Identification Software for Cognitive ElectrophysiologyMARK PFLIEGER; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- ALCOHOLISM RISK--STUDIES IN HUMAN AND ANIMAL MODELSCindy Ehlers; Fiscal Year: 2001..4) Development of new theoretical approaches to alcoholism based on principles from nonlinear dynamics. The Scripps Research Institute has an active program with six major laboratories dedicating a major portion ..
- AGING AND THE COMPLEXITY OF VISUAL-MOTOR BEHAVIORKarl Newell; Fiscal Year: 2005..will examine the noise and complexity structure of the visual-motor output using a range of techniques from nonlinear dynamics, both on an age group and individual difference basis...
- AEROACOUSTICS OF VOICEFariborz Alipour; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Mitochondria and Cardiac Cell DeathJames Weiss; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Sentinel cells that report neural and neurovascular signalingDavid Kleinfeld; Fiscal Year: 2008..The assay has wide ranging applications, including, but not limited to research on abused substances. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Multi-scale mapping of 3D spatial-temporal cortical hemodynamics at the level of David Kleinfeld; Fiscal Year: 2008..It will help define optical- and MRI-based diagnostics for the detection of dysfunction and clinically appropriate interventionist therapies. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- All-Optical Histology for 3-D Cortical ReconstructionsDavid Kleinfeld; Fiscal Year: 2006..We will make this tool readily available to the biomedical community. The proposed model system may substantially improve upon our understanding of the large-scale structure of brain architectonics. ..
- OPTICAL IMAGER FOR ELECTRICAL DYNAMICS IN CORTEXDavid Kleinfeld; Fiscal Year: 2001..These proposed studies of stimulus representation in the rat vibrissa sensorimotor pathway will serve as a scientific test-bed for the proposed technology. ..
- MOTOR MODULATION OF SENSORY INPUT IN RAT VIBRISSA CORTEXDavid Kleinfeld; Fiscal Year: 2003..How does a fast spike train signal in sensory cortex get transformed into a slow motor control signal in motor cortex? ..