Genomes and Genes
Summary: Patterns (real or mathematical) which look similar at different scales, for example the network of airways in the lung which shows similar branching patterns at progressively higher magnifications. Natural fractals are self-similar across a finite range of scales while mathematical fractals are the same across an infinite range. Many natural, including biological, structures are fractal (or fractal-like). Fractals are related to "chaos" (see NONLINEAR DYNAMICS) in that chaotic processes can produce fractal structures in nature, and appropriate representations of chaotic processes usually reveal self-similarity over time.
Publications338 found, 100 shown here
- Fractals in pathologyS S Cross
Department of Pathology, University of Sheffield Medical School, U K
J Pathol 182:1-8. 1997..Fractal concepts have also been usefully incorporated into models of biological processes, including epithelial cell growth, blood vessel growth, periodontal disease and viral infections...
- Adaptive reconfiguration of fractal small-world human brain functional networksDanielle S Bassett
Brain Mapping Unit, Department of Psychiatry, University of Cambridge, Addenbrooke s Hospital, Cambridge CB2 2QQ, United Kingdom
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:19518-23. 2006..Human brain functional networks demonstrate a fractal small-world architecture that supports critical dynamics and task-related spatial reconfiguration while preserving global topological parameters...
- Fractal-wavelet image denoising revisitedMohsen Ghazel
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, University of Waterloo, Waterloo, ON N2L 3G1, Canada
IEEE Trans Image Process 15:2669-75. 2006..Finally, we compare the performance of the pixel- and wavelet-based fractal denoising schemes...
- Reliability of traditional and fractal dimension measures of quiet stance center of pressure in young, healthy peopleTim L Doyle
School of Biomedical and Sports Science, Edith Cowan University, Joondalup, Western Australia, Australia
Arch Phys Med Rehabil 86:2034-40. 2005..To assess reliability of traditional and fractal dimension measures of quiet stance center of pressure (COP)...
- Dental microwear texture analysis shows within-species diet variability in fossil homininsRobert S Scott
1 Department of Anthropology, University of Arkansas, Fayetteville, Arkansas 72701, USA 2 These authors contributed equally to this work
Nature 436:693-5. 2005..africanus. This suggests that A. africanus ate more tough foods and P. robustus consumed more hard and brittle items, but that both had variable and overlapping diets...
- A general model for the origin of allometric scaling laws in biologyG B West
Theoretical Division, T 8, Mail Stop B285, Los Alamos National Laboratory, Los Alamos, NM 87545, USA
Science 276:122-6. 1997..More generally, the model predicts structural and functional properties of vertebrate cardiovascular and respiratory systems, plant vascular systems, insect tracheal tubes, and other distribution networks...
- Fractal dynamics in physiology: alterations with disease and agingAry L Goldberger
Cardiovascular Division and Margret and H A Rey Laboratory for Nonlinear Dynamics in Medicine, Department of Medicine, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 99:2466-72. 2002..Elucidating the fractal and nonlinear mechanisms involved in physiologic control and complex signaling networks is emerging as a major challenge in the postgenomic era...
- Cardiac interbeat interval dynamics from childhood to senescence : comparison of conventional and new measures based on fractals and chaos theoryS M Pikkujämsä
Division of Cardiology, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Oulu, Finland
Circulation 100:393-9. 1999....
- Molecular crowding affects diffusion and binding of nuclear proteins in heterochromatin and reveals the fractal organization of chromatinAurélien Bancaud
Cell Biology and Biophysics Unit, EMBL, Heidelberg, Germany
EMBO J 28:3785-98. 2009..We propose that fractal crowding is a fundamental principle of nuclear organization, particularly of heterochromatin maintenance...
- Gait dynamics, fractals and falls: finding meaning in the stride-to-stride fluctuations of human walkingJeffrey M Hausdorff
Laboratory for Gait and Neurodynamics, Movement Disorders Unit, Department of Neurology, Tel Aviv Sourasky Medical Center, Israel
Hum Mov Sci 26:555-89. 2007....
- Multifractality in human heartbeat dynamicsP C Ivanov
Center for Polymer Studies and Department of Physics, Boston University, Massachusetts 02215, USA
Nature 399:461-5. 1999..We uncover a loss of multifractality for a life-threatening condition, congestive heart failure...
- Fractal analysis of region-based vascular change in the normal and non-proliferative diabetic retinaArpenik Avakian
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Washington, Seattle, USA
Curr Eye Res 24:274-80. 2002..Evaluation of normal and abnormal vascular pattern in the human retina using a novel method: quantitative region-based fractal analysis...
- The fractal globule as a model of chromatin architecture in the cellLeonid A Mirny
Harvard MIT Division of Health Sciences and Technology, Department of Physics, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA, USA
Chromosome Res 19:37-51. 2011..Finally, we discuss whether fractal globule architecture can be relevant for chromatin packing in other organisms such as yeast and bacteria...
- Metabolism and cell shape in cancer: a fractal analysisFabrizio D'Anselmi
ASI, Italian Space Agency, Roma, Italy
Int J Biochem Cell Biol 43:1052-8. 2011....
- Gait dynamics in Parkinson's disease: common and distinct behavior among stride length, gait variability, and fractal-like scalingJeffrey M Hausdorff
Movement Disorders Unit, Department of Neurology, Tel Aviv Sourasky Medical Center, Tel Aviv 64239, Israel
Chaos 19:026113. 2009....
- Physiological time series: distinguishing fractal noises from motionsA Eke
Experimental Research Department II, Institute of Physiology, Semmelweis University of Medicine, Budapest, Hungary
Pflugers Arch 439:403-15. 2000..The implication is that the flow signal is the summation (motion) of a set of local velocities from neighboring vessels that are negatively correlated, as if induced by local resistance fluctuations...
- Small-world connectivity, motif composition, and complexity of fractal neuronal connectionsOlaf Sporns
Department of Psychological and Brain Sciences, Indiana University, 1101 East 10th Street, Bloomington, IN 47405, USA
Biosystems 85:55-64. 2006..Measures obtained from some modeled fractal patterns closely resemble those of real neuroanatomical data sets, supporting the original hypothesis...
- Entropy and complexity measures for EEG signal classification of schizophrenic and control participantsMalihe Sabeti
Department of Computer Science and Engineering, School of Engineering, Shiraz University, Shiraz, Iran
Artif Intell Med 47:263-74. 2009..In this paper, electroencephalogram (EEG) signals of 20 schizophrenic patients and 20 age-matched control participants are analyzed with the objective of classifying the two groups...
- Behavioral-independent features of complex heartbeat dynamicsL A Nunes Amaral
Center for Polymer Studies and Department of Physics, Boston University, Boston, Massachusetts 02215, USA
Phys Rev Lett 86:6026-9. 2001..We find that when fluctuations in physical activity and other behavioral modifiers are minimized, a remarkable level of complexity of heartbeat dynamics remains, while for neuroautonomic blockade the multifractal complexity decreases...
- Facilitating joint chaos and fractal analysis of biosignals through nonlinear adaptive filteringJianbo Gao
PMB Intelligence LLC, West Lafayette, Indiana, United States of America
PLoS ONE 6:e24331. 2011..Chaos analysis requires that signals be relatively noise-free and stationary, while fractal analysis demands signals to be non-rhythmic and scale-free...
- Trichostatin A-induced histone acetylation causes decondensation of interphase chromatinKatalin Fejes Toth
Kirchhoff Institut für Physik, AG Molekulare Biophysik, Ruprecht Karls Universitat Heidelberg, Im Neuenheimer Feld 227, 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
J Cell Sci 117:4277-87. 2004..An analysis by flow cytometry showed that the addition of TSA led to a significant arrest of cells in S phase and induced apoptosis. The concentration dependence of both processes was studied...
- Fractal dimension of chromatin is an independent prognostic factor for survival in melanomaValcinir Bedin
Department of Pathology, Faculty of Medical Sciences, University of Campinas, Campinas, SP, Brazil
BMC Cancer 10:260. 2010..We have therefore investigated whether the fractal dimension of nuclear chromatin measured in routine histological preparations of malignant melanomas could be a prognostic factor for survival...
- The fourth dimension of life: fractal geometry and allometric scaling of organismsG B West
Theoretical Division, MS B285, Los Alamos National Laboratory, Los Alamos, NM 87545, USA
Science 284:1677-9. 1999..These design principles are independent of detailed dynamics and explicit models and should apply to virtually all organisms...
- How to reliably estimate the tortuosity of an animal's path: straightness, sinuosity, or fractal dimension?Simon Benhamou
Behavioural Ecology Group, Centre d Ecologie Fonctionelle et Evolutive, CNRS, 1919 Route de Mende, F 34293, Montpellier 5, France
J Theor Biol 229:209-20. 2004..This paper also provides some help for distinguishing between oriented and random search paths, and depicts a general, comprehensive framework for analysing individual animals' paths in a two-dimensional space...
- Fractal analysis of retinal vessels suggests that a distinct vasculopathy causes lacunar strokeF N Doubal
Division of Clinical Neurosciences, University of Edinburgh, Western General Hospital, Edinburgh, UK
Neurology 74:1102-7. 2010..Altered retinal vessel fractal dimensions may act as a surrogate marker for diseased cerebral vessels. We used a cross-sectional study to investigate fractal properties of retinal vessels in lacunar stroke...
- Multifractal and lacunarity analysis of microvascular morphology and remodelingDaniel J Gould
Department of Bioengineering, Rice University, Houston, Texas, USA
Microcirculation 18:136-51. 2011..We demonstrate that automated multifractal analysis and lacunarity may be used with classical methods to quantify microvascular morphology...
- Detection of single and clustered microcalcifications in mammograms using fractals models and neural networksL Bocchi
Department of Electronics and Telecommunications, University of Florence, Via S Marta, 3, 50139 Florence, Italy
Med Eng Phys 26:303-12. 2004..Reported results indicate that fractal models provide an adequate framework for medical image processing; consequently high correct classification rates are achieved...
- Ultrastructural complexity of nuclear components during early apoptotic phases in breast cancer cellsC Castelli
Laboratorio di Patologia Cellulare, Istituto Cantonale di Patologia, Locarno, Switzerland
Anal Cell Pathol 23:1-9. 2001....
- Postural stability and fractal dynamicsJ W Błaszczyk
Institute of Experimental Biology, Polish Academy of Sciences, 3 Pasteur St, 02 093 Warsaw, Poland
Acta Neurobiol Exp (Wars) 61:105-12. 2001..Therefore Df can be used for the evaluation of postural stability and its changes due to pathology or an age-related decline...
- Morphological mechanism of the development of pulmonary emphysema in klotho miceAtsuyasu Sato
Department of Respiratory Medicine, Graduate School of Medicine, Kyoto University, Kawahara 53, Shogoin, Sakyo, Kyoto, 606 8507, Japan
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:2361-5. 2007..The morphogenesis of emphysema in the klotho mice and morphological analyses using fractal geometry may contribute to the understanding of the progressive nature and cause of parenchymal destruction in human emphysema...
- A principle of fractal-stochastic dualism and Gompertzian dynamics of growth and self-organizationPrzemyslaw Waliszewski
Department of Theoretical Chemistry, University of Poznan, 60 780 Poznan, Poland
Biosystems 82:61-73. 2005..It attains a point of the minimum (U(0), t(0)) along with a change of both complexity and connectivity during growth and self-organization. It can also be modified by certain factors, such as retinoids...
- Fractal branching quantifies vascular changes and predicts survival in pulmonary hypertension: a proof of principle studyShahin Moledina
Great Ormond Street Hospital, London, UK
Heart 97:1245-9. 2011..To develop a non-invasive method of assessing disease severity in pulmonary hypertension by quantifying the overall degree of vascular pruning using fractal geometry...
- Fractal organization of the human T cell repertoire in health and after stem cell transplantationJeremy Meier
Bone Marrow Transplant Program, Department of Internal Medicine, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA 23298, USA
Biol Blood Marrow Transplant 19:366-77. 2013..Fractal analysis of high-throughput TCR β sequencing data provides a comprehensive measure of immune reconstitution after SCT...
- Fractal character of the neural spike train in the visual system of the catM C Teich
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Boston University, Massachusetts 02215, USA
J Opt Soc Am A Opt Image Sci Vis 14:529-46. 1997..This fractal, doubly stochastic point process characterizes the statistical behavior of both RGC and LGN data sets remarkably well...
- Robust methodology for fractal analysis of the retinal vasculatureM Z Che Azemin
RMIT University, Victoria 3001, Australia
IEEE Trans Med Imaging 30:243-50. 2011..To assess its reliability in assessing retinal vascular fractals from different allocation of optic center, we performed pair-wise Pearson correlation between the fractal ..
- Fractal dimension of chromatin texture of squamous intraepithelial lesions of cervixPranab Dey
Department of Cytology, Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh, India
Diagn Cytopathol 40:152-4. 2012..In future, this promising variable can be incorporated along with other image morphometric features for accurate classification of dysplastic cells in cervical smear...
- Complexity reduction of chromatin architecture in macula densa cells during mouse postnatal developmentIgor Pantic
Institute of Medical Physiology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Belgrade, Belgrade, Serbia
Nephrology (Carlton) 18:117-24. 2013..To determine whether complexity of chromatin structure in kidney macula densa cells (MDC) decreases during postnatal development in mice...
- Fractal methods and results in cellular morphology--dimensions, lacunarity and multifractalsT G Smith
Laboratory of Neurophysiology, NINDS, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
J Neurosci Methods 69:123-36. 1996..L is also shown to be a potentially distinguishing measure. Finally, the notion of multifracticality is defined and illustrated to exist in certain individual nerve and glial cells...
- Effect of aging on lung structure in vivo: assessment with densitometric and fractal analysis of high-resolution computed tomography dataSusan J Copley
Department of Radiology, Hammersmith Hospitals NHS Trust, London, UK
J Thorac Imaging 27:366-71. 2012..To test the hypothesis that there is a difference between the lung computed tomography (CT) microstructure of asymptomatic older individuals and that of young individuals as evaluated by objective indices of complexity and density...
- Beyond scale-free small-world networks: cortical columns for quick brainsRalph Stoop
Institute of Physics, University of Basel, 4056 Basel, Switzerland
Phys Rev Lett 110:108105. 2013..We suggest that brain efficiency may be related to a doubly fractal connectivity law, resulting in networks with efficiency properties beyond those by scale-free networks...
- Molecular characteristics and chromatin texture features in acute promyelocytic leukemiaMariana R B de Mello
State University of Campinas, Campinas, Brazil
Diagn Pathol 7:75. 2012..Acute promyelocytic leukemia is a cytogenetically well defined entity. Nevertheless, some features observed at diagnosis are related to a worse outcome of the patients...
- Fractal and multifractal analysis: a reviewR Lopes
INSERM, U703, Pavillon Vancostenobel, CHRU Lille, Lille Cedex 59037, France
Med Image Anal 13:634-49. 2009..The aim of this review is to explain and to categorize the various algorithms into groups and their application in the field of medical signal analysis...
- Bifractality of human DNA strand-asymmetry profiles results from transcriptionS Nicolay
Laboratoire Joliot Curie and Laboratoire de Physique, UMR 5672, CNRS, ENS Lyon, 46 allee d Italie, 69364 Lyon Cedex 07, France
Phys Rev E Stat Nonlin Soft Matter Phys 75:032902. 2007..1 which suggests that about 36% of annotated human genes present significant transcription-induced strand asymmetry and very likely high expression rate...
- Non-random fluctuations and multi-scale dynamics regulation of human activityKun Hu
Center for Polymer Studies, Department of Physics, Boston University, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Physica A 337:307-18. 2004....
- Is the brain cortex a fractal?Valerij G Kiselev
Institute of Medicine, Research Center Julich, GmbH, D 52425 Julich, Germany
Neuroimage 20:1765-74. 2003..Thus the FFT-based analysis of segmented MR images offers a comprehensive approach to study neurodevelopmental and neurodegenerative changes in the fractal geometry of the cerebral cortex...
- Fractal dynamics of human gait: a reassessment of the 1996 data of Hausdorff et alDidier Delignières
EA 2991 Motor Efficiency and Deficiency, University Montpellier I, Montpellier, France
J Appl Physiol (1985) 106:1272-9. 2009..The source of 1/f noise is still at work in this condition, but expressed differently under the influence of a continuous coupling process...
- Estimating long-range dependence in time series: an evaluation of estimators implemented in REsther Stroe-Kunold
Department of Psychology, University of Heidelberg, Heidelberg, Germany
Behav Res Methods 41:909-23. 2009..Two examples combining these results with the step-by-step procedure proposed by Delignières et al. (2006) demonstrate how this evaluation can be used as a guideline in a typical research situation...
- Nonlinear analysis of blood cell flux fluctuations in the rat brain cortex during stepwise hypotension challengePeter Herman
Institute of Human Physiology and Clinical Experimental Research, Semmelweis University, Budapest, Hungary
J Cereb Blood Flow Metab 26:1189-97. 2006..Hence, CBF fluctuations can be regarded as a robust phenomenon that is not abolished even by sustained hypotension at 40 mm Hg...
- Dynamics of pulsatile flow in fractal models of vascular branching networksAnh Bui
Division of Materials Science and Engineering, Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation CSIRO, PO Box 56, Highett, Vic, 3190, Australia
Med Biol Eng Comput 47:763-72. 2009....
- The influence of edge detection algorithms on the estimation of the fractal dimension of binary digital imagesHelmut Ahammer
Institute of Medical Physics and Biophysics, University of Graz, Harrachgasse 21, A 8010 Graz, Austria
Chaos 14:183-8. 2004..Very common fractals (Sierpinski carpet and Koch islands) were investigated as well as the binary images from a cancer invasion assay ..
- Dental microwear texture analysis: technical considerationsRobert S Scott
Department of Anthropology, Old Main 330, University of Arkansas, Fayetteville, AR 72701, USA
J Hum Evol 51:339-49. 2006..In this case, microwear surfaces of Cebus apella and Lophocebus albigena, which consume some harder food items, have higher average values for complexity than do folivores or soft fruit eaters...
- Fractal symmetry of protein interior: what have we learned?Anirban Banerji
Bioinformatics Centre, University of Pune, Maharashtra, India
Cell Mol Life Sci 68:2711-37. 2011..In this article, we introduce readers to the fundamentals of fractals, reviewing the commonality (and the lack of it) between these approaches before exploring the patterns in the ..
- Assessment of the spatial pattern of colorectal tumour perfusion estimated at perfusion CT using two-dimensional fractal analysisVicky Goh
Paul Strickland Scanner Centre, Mount Vernon Hospital, Rickmansworth Road, Northwood, Middlesex, HA6 2RN, UK
Eur Radiol 19:1358-65. 2009..In conclusion, colorectal cancer mapped by perfusion CT demonstrates fractal properties. Fractal analysis is feasible, potentially providing a quantitative measure of the spatial pattern of tumour perfusion...
- Tissue as a self-organizing system with fractal dynamicsP Waliszewski
Department of Theoretical Chemistry, University of Poznan, Poland
Adv Space Res 28:545-8. 2001..This relationship can help to understand the emergence of extraterrestial forms of life. Although those forms can be composed of non-carbon molecules, fractal structure appears to be the common feature of all interactive biosystems...
- Fractal scaling properties of heart rate dynamics following resistance exercise trainingKevin S Heffernan
The Exercise and Cardiovascular Research Laboratory, Department of Kinesiology and Community Health, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, Champaign, IL 61820, USA
J Appl Physiol (1985) 105:109-13. 2008..73 +/- 0.04 to 0.69 +/- 0.04 to 0.88 +/- 0.04) and alpha(s) decreased following RT in the higher alpha(s) group (n = 16; 1.20 +/- 0.04 to 1.24 +/- 0.04 to 0.98 +/- 0.04). In conclusion, RT improves fractal properties of HR dynamics...
- The fractal dimension of nuclear chromatin as a prognostic factor in acute precursor B lymphoblastic leukemiaRandall L Adam
Department of Pathology, Faculty of Medicine, State University of Campinas, Brazil
Cell Oncol 28:55-9. 2006..In conclusion the goodness-of-fit of the Minkowski-Bouligand dimension of chromatin can be regarded as a new and biologically relevant prognostic factor for patients with B-ALL...
- Application of the Minkowski-Bouligand fractal dimension for the differential diagnosis of thyroid follicular neoplasiasRita C Ferreira
Cell Oncol 28:331-3. 2006
- Quantifying fractal dynamics of human respiration: age and gender effectsC K Peng
Margret and H A Rey Institute for Nonlinear Dynamics in Medicine, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
Ann Biomed Eng 30:683-92. 2002....
- Fractal characterization of complexity in temporal physiological signalsA Eke
Institute of Human Physiology and Clinical Experimental Research, Semmelweis University, Faculty of Medicine, Budapest, Hungary
Physiol Meas 23:R1-38. 2002..Steps of a reliable fractal analysis are explained. Finally, the main applications of fractal time series analysis in biomedical research are reviewed and critically evaluated...
- Fractal nature of chromatin organization in interphase chicken erythrocyte nuclei: DNA structure exhibits biphasic fractal propertiesD V Lebedev
Division of Molecular and Radiation Biophysics, Petersburg Nuclear Physics Institute, Russian Academy of Sciences, Gatchina, Russia
FEBS Lett 579:1465-8. 2005..5, while the DNA organization was biphasic, with the fractal dimension slightly higher than 2 on the scales smaller than 300 nm and approaching 3 on the larger scales...
- Self-affine fractal variability of human heartbeat interval dynamics in health and diseaseM Meyer
Max Planck Institute for Experimental Medicine, Hermann Rein Str 3, 37075 Gottingen, Germany
Eur J Appl Physiol 90:305-16. 2003..The characteristic multifractal pattern in heart transplant recipients or chronic heart disease highlights the importance of neuroautonomic control mechanisms regulating the fractal dynamics of the cardiac rhythm...
- Wavelet-based multifractal analysis of fMRI time seriesYu Shimizu
MR Centre of Excellence, Medical University of Vienna, Austria
Neuroimage 22:1195-202. 2004..Using these multifractal parameters, it is possible to identify activated areas in the human brain in both hybrid and in vivo fMRI data sets without knowledge of the stimulation paradigm applied...
- Understanding the complexity of human gait dynamicsNicola Scafetta
Department of Physics, Duke University, Durham, North Carolina 27708, USA
Chaos 19:026108. 2009..A supercentral pattern generator model is presented to simulate the above two properties that are typically found in dynamical network performance: that is, how a dynamical network responds to stress and to evolution...
- Fractal characteristics of May-Grünwald-Giemsa stained chromatin are independent prognostic factors for survival in multiple myelomaDaniela P Ferro
Department of Pathology, University of Campinas, Campinas, Brazil
PLoS ONE 6:e20706. 2011..In the present study we investigated the influence of the fractal dimension (FD) of chromatin on survival of patients with multiple myeloma...
- The fractal geometry of lifeGabriele A Losa
Institute of Scientific Interdisciplinary Studies, 6600 Locarno, Switzerland
Riv Biol 102:29-59. 2009..b>Fractals fulfil a certain number of theoretical and methodological criteria including a high level of organization, shape ..
- A new image analysis method based on topological and fractal parameters to evaluate the angiostatic activity of docetaxel by using the Matrigel assay in vitroDiego Guidolin
Department of Human Anatomy and Physiology, Section of Anatomy, University of Padua Medical School, Padua, Italy
Microvasc Res 67:117-24. 2004..Finally, topological parameters seem to exhibit a wider dynamic range than the fractal ones...
- Fractal dimension analysis of the cortical ribbon in mild Alzheimer's diseaseRichard D King
Department of Neurology, University of Utah, USA
Neuroimage 53:471-9. 2010..01) or gyrification index (d=0.84). The methodological change shown in this paper may allow for further clinical application of cortical fractal dimension as a biomarker for structural changes that accrue with neurodegenerative diseases...
- Fractal analysis of internal and peripheral textures of small peripheral bronchogenic carcinomas in thin-section computed tomography: comparison of bronchioloalveolar cell carcinomas with nonbronchioloalveolar cell carcinomasShoji Kido
Department of Computer Science and Systems Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, Yamaguchi University, Ube, Japan
J Comput Assist Tomogr 27:56-61. 2003..To analyze the internal and peripheral textures of small peripheral bronchogenic carcinomas (<2 cm) in thin-section computed tomography (HRCT) images with fractal analysis...
- Characterizing heart rate variability by scale-dependent Lyapunov exponentJing Hu
PMB Intelligence LLC, P O Box 2077, West Lafayette, Indiana 47996, USA
Chaos 19:028506. 2009..We show that while HRV data of all these three types are mostly stochastic, the stochasticity is different among the three groups...
- Nuclear patterns of human breast cancer cells during apoptosis: characterisation by fractal dimension and co-occurrence matrix statisticsGabriele A Losa
Institute for Scientific Interdisciplinary Studies, Via F Rusca 1, P O Box 1132, 6600 Locarno, Switzerland
Cell Tissue Res 322:257-67. 2005..Hence, both fractal and GLCM analyses confirm that the morphological reorganisation of nuclei, attributable to a loss of structural complexity, occurs early in apoptosis...
- Mammographic masses characterization based on localized texture and dataset fractal analysis using linear, neural and support vector machine classifiersMichael E Mavroforakis
University of Athens, Informatics Department, TYPA buildings, University Campus, 15771 Athens, Greece
Artif Intell Med 37:145-62. 2006..Additionally, a comparison of the information content of the proposed feature set with that of the qualitative characteristics used in clinical practice by expert radiologists is presented...
- Use of fractal theory in neuroscience: methods, advantages, and potential problemsE Fernandez
Instituto de Bioingenieria, Elche, Spain
Methods 24:309-21. 2001..Several related methodological considerations, such as preparation of the image and estimation of the fractal dimensions from the data points, as well as the advantages and problems of fractal geometric analysis, are discussed...
- Nuclear chromatin texture analysis of nonmalignant tissue can detect adjacent prostatic adenocarcinomaT Mairinger
Department of Pathology, University of Innsbruck, Innsbruck, Austria
Prostate 41:12-9. 1999..The aim of this study was to investigate the possibility of identifying prostatic adenocarcinoma by nuclear chromatin texture feature analysis of adjacent histologically benign-looking tissue...
- Fractal analysis of vascular networks: insights from morphogenesisSylvie Lorthois
Institut de Mécanique des Fluides de Toulouse, UMR CNRS INPT UPS 5502, Allée du Professeur Camille Soula, 31400 Toulouse Cedex, France
J Theor Biol 262:614-33. 2010..vascular networks first shows that no consensus has emerged about whether normal networks must be considered as fractals or not...
- Prostate cancer characterization on MR images using fractal featuresR Lopes
INSERM, U703, Université Nord de France, 152 rue du Docteur Yersin, 59120 Loos, CHRU Lille, France
Med Phys 38:83-95. 2011..Computerized detection of prostate cancer on T2-weighted MR images...
- Relationship between tumor grade and computed architectural complexity in breast cancer specimensMauro Tambasco
Department of Oncology, University of Calgary and Tom Baker Cancer Centre, Calgary, Alberta, Canada T2N 4N2
Hum Pathol 39:740-6. 2008..They also indicate that fractal dimension has potential as an objective, reproducible, and automated measure of architectural complexity that may help reduce interobserver variability in grading...
- Detection of long-range dependence and estimation of fractal exponents through ARFIMA modellingKjerstin Torre
EA 2991 Motor Efficiency and Deficiency, University Montpellier 1, France
Br J Math Stat Psychol 60:85-106. 2007..Finally, ARFIMA modelling provides good estimates of fractal exponents, and could adequately complement classical methods, such as spectral analysis, detrended fluctuation analysis or rescaled range analysis...
- Using animal movement paths to measure response to spatial scaleVilis O Nams
Department of Environmental Sciences, Nova Scotia Agricultural College, Box 550, Truro, Nova Scotia B2N 5E3, Canada
Oecologia 143:179-88. 2005..These new analyses should help understand how animals perceive and react to their landscape structure at various spatial scales, and to answer questions about how habitat structure affects animal movement patterns...
- Quantitative evaluation and modeling of two-dimensional neovascular network complexity: the surface fractal dimensionFabio Grizzi
Scientific Direction, Istituto Clinico Humanitas, Via Manzoni 56 20089 Rozzano, Milan, Italy
BMC Cancer 5:14. 2005..However, fractal geometry is a more powerful means of quantifying the spatial complexity of real objects...
- Michaelis-Menten kinetics under spatially constrained conditions: application to mibefradil pharmacokineticsKosmas Kosmidis
Department of Physics, University of Thessaloniki, Thessaloniki, Greece
Biophys J 87:1498-506. 2004..The modified MM equation can describe the pharmacokinetics of mibefradil as it is able to capture the heterogeneity of the enzymatic reaction in disordered media...
- Changes in fractal dimension and lacunarity as early markers of UV-induced apoptosisIgor Pantic
Institute of Medical Physiology, School of Medicine, University of Belgrade, Visegradska 26 II, 11000 Belgrade, Serbia
J Theor Biol 303:87-92. 2012..These results indicate that fractal analysis might be a powerful and affordable method for non-invasive early identification of apoptosis in cell cultures...
- Whole-community DNA barcoding reveals a spatio-temporal continuum of biodiversity at species and genetic levelsAndrés Baselga
Departamento de Zoologia, Facultad de Biologia, Universidad de Santiago de Compostela, c Lope Gómez de Marzoa s n, 15782 Santiago de Compostela, Spain
Nat Commun 4:1892. 2013..These novel macroecological patterns may be explained by neutral evolutionary processes, acting continuously over time to produce multi-scale regularities of biodiversity...
- Classifying depression patients and normal subjects using machine learning techniques and nonlinear features from EEG signalBehshad Hosseinifard
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Amirkabir University of Technology, Iran
Comput Methods Programs Biomed 109:339-45. 2013..It is suggested that this analysis may be a complementary tool to help psychiatrists for diagnosing depressed patients...
- Fractal fluctuations and complexity: current debates and future challengesDidier Delignières
EA 2991 Movement To Health, EuroMov, University Montpellier 1, France
Crit Rev Biomed Eng 40:485-500. 2012....
- Fractal dimension in human cerebellum measured by magnetic resonance imagingJing Z Liu
Department of Biomedical Engineering, The Lerner Research Institute, The Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, Ohio 44195, USA
Biophys J 85:4041-6. 2003..The results indicated that the CB skeleton is a highly fractal structure, with a fractal dimension of 2.57 +/- 0.01. No significant difference in the CB fractal dimension was observed between men and women...
- The self-organizing fractal theory as a universal discovery method: the phenomenon of lifeAlexei Kurakin
Department of Pathology, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Theor Biol Med Model 8:4. 2011....
- Stem cell differentiation indicated by noninvasive photonic characterization and fractal analysis of subcellular architectureKevin J Chalut
Department of Physics, University of Cambridge, Cambridge, CB3 0HE, UK
Integr Biol (Camb) 3:863-7. 2011..These results lend physical insight into stem cell differentiation while providing physics-based methods for non-invasive detection of the differentiation process...
- Fractal branching pattern in the pial vasculature in the catP Herman
Institute of Human Physiology and Clinical Experimental Research, Semmelweis University, Budapest, Hungary
J Cereb Blood Flow Metab 21:741-53. 2001Arborization pattern was studied in pial vascular networks by treating them as fractals. Rather than applying elaborate taxonomy assembled from measures from individual vessel segments and bifurcations arranged in their branching order, ..
- Sonographic texture characterization of salivary gland tumors by fractal analysesToru Chikui
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Radiology, Graduate School of Dental Science, Kyushu University, Fukuoka, Japan
Ultrasound Med Biol 31:1297-304. 2005..The Hurst index obtained by the F BM model of pleomorphic adenoma was significantly lower than that of the malignant tumor...
- Singular behavior of slow dynamics of single excitable cellsTakahiro Harada
Department of Human and Artificial Intelligent Systems, University of Fukui, Fukui, Japan
Biophys J 96:255-67. 2009..From these findings, it was established that singular fluctuations accompanying 1/f(beta) noise and multifractality are intrinsic properties of single cardiac muscle cells...
- Fractal dimension analysis of MR images reveals grey matter structure irregularities in schizophreniaAnca Larisa Sandu
Department of Biological and Medical Psychology, University of Bergen, Jonas Lies vei 91, N 5009 Bergen, Norway
Comput Med Imaging Graph 32:150-8. 2008..The results showed that the patients had larger FD values than the controls, for the whole brain volume and right hemisphere...
- Angioarchitectural heterogeneity in human glioblastoma multiforme: a fractal-based histopathological assessmentAntonio Di Ieva
Center for Anatomy and Cell Biology, Department of Systematic Anatomy, Medical University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Microvasc Res 81:222-30. 2011..The present study shows that angioarchitectural subtypes can be identified by mvFD, making this parameter a potential tool for quantifying different neoplastic microvascular patterns...
- Branching tree model with fractal vascular resistance explains fractal perfusion heterogeneityM Marxen
Department of Medical Biophysics, Sunnybrook and Women s College Health Sciences Centre, University of Toronto, S605 2075 Bayview Avenue, Toronto, Ontario, Canada, M4N 3M5
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 284:H1848-57. 2003..The model allows a physiological interpretation of the measured fractal parameters, which could in turn be used to characterize vascular morphology and function...
- Pink-noise behaviour of biosystemsP Szendro
Department of Mechanical Engineering, Strathclyde University, Glasgow, UK
Eur Biophys J 30:227-31. 2001..It is shown that the stationary random stochastic processes under self-similar conditions (as we have in living objects) generate pink noise independently of the kind and number of variables...
- Chaos, fractals, and our concept of diseaseManuel Varela
Department of Internal Medicine, Hospital de Mostoles, Madrid, Spain
Perspect Biol Med 53:584-95. 2010..anatomo-clinic paradigm and reviews three areas in which the influence of nonlinear dynamics and fractal geometry can be especially prominent: disease as a loss of complexity, the idea of homeostasis, and fractals in pathology.
- Fractal analysis of the ambulation pattern of Japanese quailJ M Kembro
CONICET ICTA y Cátedra de Química Biológica, Facultad de Ciencias Exactas Fisicas y Naturales, Universidad Nacional de Cordoba, Cordoba, Argentina
Br Poult Sci 50:161-70. 2009....
- Retinal vascular fractals and microvascular and macrovascular complications in type 1 diabetesJakob Grauslund
Department of Ophthalmology, Odense University Hospital, Odense, Denmark
Ophthalmology 117:1400-5. 2010..This study examined the association of retinal fractal dimension (D(f)) and microvascular and macrovascular complications in a population-based cohort of Danish patients with type 1 diabetes...
- Correlation of microvascular fractal dimension with positron emission tomography [(11)C]-methionine uptake in glioblastoma multiforme: preliminary findingsAntonio Di Ieva
Center for Anatomy and Cell Biology, Institute of Systematic Anatomy, Medical University of Vienna, Austria
Microvasc Res 80:267-73. 2010....
- Detrended fluctuation analysis predicts successful defibrillation for out-of-hospital ventricular fibrillation cardiac arrestLian Yu Lin
Department of Internal Medicine, National Taiwan University Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
Resuscitation 81:297-301. 2010..It is very important to rapidly distinguish between early and late VF. We hypothesised that VF waveform analysis based on detrended fluctuation analysis (DFA) can help predict successful defibrillation...
- Fractal dimension analysis of grey matter in multiple sclerosisFrancisco J Esteban
Department of Experimental Biology, Systems Biology Unit, Faculty of Experimental and Health Sciences, University of Jaen, Jaen, Spain
J Neurol Sci 282:67-71. 2009..These results indicate that GM morphology is abnormal in patients with MS and that this alteration appears early in the course of the disease...
- Coexistence of flexibility and stability of proteins: an equation of stateMarina de Leeuw
Department of Biotechnology Engineering, Ben Gurion University of the Negev, Beer Sheva, Israel
PLoS ONE 4:e7296. 2009..Addressing the fractal properties and making use of the equation of state may help to engineer biologically inspired catalysts...
- Methods for Spatial Analysis of Microcolumns in CortexH Stanley; Fiscal Year: 2005..We will then use a regression analysis to determine if age-induced changes in microcolumar properties are related to alterations on any of these cognitive domains. ..
- Fractal Identification System for MedicationADAM HANINA; Fiscal Year: 2012..labeling solution that replaces traditional barcodes and utilizes the self-similarity properties of fractals to encode and print unique secure fractal patterns directly onto pills or capsules...
- ION CURRENT ANALYSIS IN THE CORNEALARRY LIEBOVITCH; Fiscal Year: 1999..corneal endothelial cells, 2) to develop and apply new mathematical methods, including powerful new methods of fractals and nonlinear dynamics (chaos) to analyze this data, and 3) to determine the properties of different types of ..
- Allometry, Fractals and AUVs:Carbon Cycling on ReefsSuzanne Graham; Fiscal Year: 2001..abstract_text> ..
- STATISTICAL SURFACE FRACTAL ANALYZER OF BREAST CANCERAlan Penn; Fiscal Year: 2001..FIFM SURFACE fractals represent multiresolution differences between benign and malignant masses more accurately and more extensively ..
- MICROMAGNETIC RESONANCE ELASTOGRAPHYRICHARD MAGIN; Fiscal Year: 2006....
- Molecular Modeling of Amyloid-beta Oligomer FormationH Eugene Stanley; Fiscal Year: 2006..Predictions emanating from these analyses then will be tested experimentally in Dr. Teplow's laboratory through chemical synthesis of appropriate ABeta peptides and study of their assembly and neurotoxic activity. ..
- Circadian Role in Diurnal Pattern of Cardiovascular RiskH Eugene Stanley; Fiscal Year: 2008..We believe that such studies may ultimately help rationalize chronobiological therapies for cardiovascular diseases in terms of modification of activity levels or timed pharmacological intervention. ..
- CENTRAL NEURAL CONTROL OF CARDIOVASCULAR FUNCTIONGERARD GEBBER; Fiscal Year: 2002..The above listed hypotheses will be tested by examining the interrelations of these signals using computational methods including spike-triggered averaging, phase plane, ordinary and partial coherence and bicoherence analyses. ..
- HRCA/HARVARD RESEARCH NURSING HOMELewis Lipsitz; Fiscal Year: 2008..Our institutional commitments, longstanding collaboration among investigators, track record of productivity, administrative structure, and proven leadership all assure that this program will achieve its stated goals. ..
- Improved Search Coil Method for Measuring Eye MovementsMark Shelhamer; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Quantifying Left Ventricular Ejection EffectivenessMichael Pinsky; Fiscal Year: 2007..The ultimate goal of this proposal is to develop and validate an echocardiographic-based algorithm that quantifies LV ejection effectiveness by merging both power and synchrony of contraction into a common metric. ..
- Integrative Genomics to Dissect the Genetic Regulation of T1D OnsetXujing Wang; Fiscal Year: 2010..The management of T1D is difficult particularly in the young, and in recent decades incidence in the young is rising rapidly. ..
- Lung Perfusion Heterogeneity and Mechanisms of EdemaSusan R Hopkins; Fiscal Year: 2010..abstract_text> ..
- Determination of OA Pathology by Biomarker DatingVirginia Kraus; Fiscal Year: 2007..We refer to the technique of quantifying the D-aspartate content of cartilage macromolecules as "biomarker dating". ..
- Mechanisms of Progression in Late Stage EmphysemaBela Suki; Fiscal Year: 2009..These results will motivate a more rational approach to detection, treatment design, and treatment assessment of emphysema. ..
- U.T. SOUTHWESTERN ADULT AIDS CLINICAL TRIALS UNITMamta Jain; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Information-Theoretic Based CAD in MammographyGEORGIA TOURASSI; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Anisotropy and Nonlinearity of Cartilage MechanicsGerard Ateshian; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Immunomodulatory Effects of Mechanical VentilationWILLIAM ALTEMEIER; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- STRATEGIES TO PREDICT OSTEOARTHRITIS PROGRESSIONVirginia Kraus; Fiscal Year: 2006..The results of these studies could aid in the refinement of subject selection for clinical trials and those most in need of prevention strategies. ..
- Methyl Mercury Evaluation in Dental Waste WaterJames Drummond; Fiscal Year: 2003..Hypothesis: Element mercury released in DWW is converted to Hg(lI) and then in more limited amounts to methyl-mercury by specific biofilm bacterial species in the Dental sewage pipes. ..
- Phase Transition Models of Oculomotor ControlMark Shelhamer; Fiscal Year: 2003..The work represents a new direction for the PI because his past work has not dealt with the unique mathematical formulations required for this study. ..
- Neuro-Robotic Models of Learning and AddictionOlaf Sporns; Fiscal Year: 2003..A comprehensive and detailed embodied (robot) model has the potential of serving as a unique explanatory and predictive tool aiding in future empirical research on drug abuse and addiction. ..
- Pilot Studies in Adaptation in Parabolic FlightMark Shelhamer; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Pulmonary Vascular Tree Development, Growth & RemodlingRobb Glenny; Fiscal Year: 2005..The findings will fill important gaps in our knowledge of pulmonary vascular development and triggers of remodeling. ..
- Ventilation Improves Lung Physiology and BiologyBela Suki; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Scaling in Reflexive and Volitional Eye MovementsMark Shelhamer; Fiscal Year: 2006..Since scaling changes with pathology, new means to assess vestibular or oculomotor pathology may result. ..
- Encoding influences on recognition memory processesNICOLE SPEER; Fiscal Year: 2007..Future studies will be able to apply these findings toward the facilitation and rehabilitation of memory processes in memory-impaired populations. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- METALLOPROTEINASES IN AGING AND OSTEOARTHRITISVirginia Kraus; Fiscal Year: 2002..They propose that successful completion of this work will serve as a basis for future studies of drug intervention for OA, and characterization and interaction of other pathogenic molecules in OA. ..
- Effects of mechanical forces on lung injury and repairBela Suki; Fiscal Year: 2010..The research proposed here involves investigating how cells and connective tissue stretch in the lung during breathing and may open a new direction in understanding the disease with high potential to develop new treatments. ..
- HARVARD OLDER AMERICANS INDEPENDENCE CENTERLewis Lipsitz; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Implications of Genomics Research on Racial DefinitionSeymour Garte; Fiscal Year: 2003..A new paradigm of gene-specific variation will be developed for a biomedically useful method of division of the human population into groups based on criteria different from current definitions of race. ..
- Regional Gas Trapping in Bronchoconstricted AsthmaticsJose G Venegas; Fiscal Year: 2010..We expect that this detailed anatomical and functional data will provide new insights into the pathophysiology of the disease that will be directly applicable to patient care and will help advance the field of aerosol therapy. ..
- Wavelets, fractals and fMRI of brain adaptivityEdward Bullmore; Fiscal Year: 2007..We will also test hypotheses concerning the main effect of aging and the interactive effect of drugs and age on brain adaptivity. ..
- Epigenesis of Cerebral Asymmetry in TwinsMark Eckert; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- RESEARCH RESOURCE FOR COMPLEX PHYSIOLOGIC SIGNALSARY GOLDBERGER; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..