- New low-viscosity overlay medium for viral plaque assays
Institute of Virology, Philipps University, Hans Meerwein Str, 3, 35043 Marburg, Germany
Virol J 3:63. 2006
..To overcome the pitfalls of known overlays, we tested suspensions of microcrystalline cellulose Avicel RC/CLtrade mark as overlay media in the plaque and plaque-inhibition assay of influenza viruses...
- Barrier properties of mucus
Richard A Cone
Biophysics Department, Johns Hopkins University, and ReProtect, Inc, Baltimore MD, USA
Adv Drug Deliv Rev 61:75-85. 2009
..These viruses are smaller than the mucus mesh spacing, and have surfaces that do not stick to mucus. They form a useful model for developing NP for mucosal drug delivery...
- Macromolecular size-and-shape distributions by sedimentation velocity analytical ultracentrifugation
Patrick H Brown
Protein Biophysics Resource, Division of Bioengineering and Physical Science, ORS, Office of the Director, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
Biophys J 90:4651-61. 2006
..We show that this can be used to determine average molar masses of macromolecules and characterize macromolecular distributions, without the approximation of any scaling relationship between hydrodynamic and thermodynamic parameters...
- Human telomere sequence DNA in water-free and high-viscosity solvents: G-quadruplex folding governed by Kramers rate theory
Ford M Lannan
School of Chemistry and Biochemistry, Petit Institute for Bioengineering and Bioscience, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, Georgia 30332, USA
J Am Chem Soc 134:15324-30. 2012
..We present studies of HTS DNA folding in an anhydrous, high viscosity deep eutectic solvent (DES) comprised of choline choride and urea...
- Up to 50-fold increase in urine viscosity with iso-osmolar contrast media in the rat
Institute of Vegetative Physiology, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, CCM, Tucholskystr 2, D 10117 Berlin, Germany
Radiology 256:406-14. 2010
To compare changes in urinary viscosity in the renal tubules following administration of a high-viscosity iso-osmolar contrast agent (iodixanol) to that observed following administration of a less viscous, higher osmolar contrast agent (..
- Viscosity of iodinated contrast agents during renal excretion
TRG Diagnostic Imaging, Bayer Schering Pharma AG, Berlin, Germany
Eur J Radiol 80:373-7. 2011
..molecular structure into monomeric and dimeric CAs and have at comparable iodine concentrations a different viscosity and osmolality...
- The effects of food viscosity on bite size, bite effort and food intake
R A de Wijk
Top Institute for Food and Nutrition, 6700 AN Wageningen, The Netherlands
Physiol Behav 95:527-32. 2008
Two studies investigated the effect of a food's viscosity on bite size, bite effort and food intake using a standardized protocol in which subjects sipped through a straw every 20 s for a period of 15 min from one of two products, a ..
- Mechanics of nectar feeding in the orchid bee Euglossa imperialis: pressure, viscosity and flow
Brendan J Borrell
Department of Integrative Biology, University of California, Berkeley, CA 94720 3140, USA
J Exp Biol 209:4901-7. 2006
..Nectar intake rate was measured as a function of sucrose concentration (5-75% w/w), nectar viscosity (2-80 mPa s), and ambient pressure (101-40 kPa). Intake rate declines from about 1.2 mul s(-1) to 0...
- Experimental validation of a time-domain-based wave propagation model of blood flow in viscoelastic vessels
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Eindhoven University of Technology, P O Box 513, 5600 MB Eindhoven, The Netherlands
J Biomech 41:284-91. 2008
- Overexpression of myosin IB in living Entamoeba histolytica enhances cytoplasm viscosity and reduces phagocytosis
Unité de Biologie Cellulaire du Parasitisme, INSERM U389, Institut Pasteur, 28 rue du Dr Roux 75724, Paris Cedex 15, France
J Cell Sci 117:3271-9. 2004
..Using this technique, we showed that overexpression of myosin IB led to an increase in cytoplasm viscosity, which correlated with a delay in initiating human cell phagocytosis...
- Searching for meaningful differences in viscosity
Catriona M Steele
Dysphagia 20:336-8. 2005
- High-viscosity hydroxypropylmethylcellulose blunts postprandial glucose and insulin responses
Kevin C Maki
Provident Clinical Research, 1000 W 1st St, Bloomington, IN 47403, USA
Diabetes Care 30:1039-43. 2007
High-viscosity hydroxypropylmethylcellulose (HV-HPMC) is a modified cellulose fiber that produces a viscous gel in the gastrointestinal tract...
- Beverage viscosity is inversely related to postprandial hunger in humans
R D Mattes
Department of Foods and Nutrition, Purdue University, Room 212, 1264 Stone Hall, West Lafayette, IN 47907 1264, USA
Physiol Behav 74:551-7. 2001
..The present study attempted to isolate an influence of viscosity. At weekly intervals, 84 adults ingested 325-ml (220 kcal) shakes that were matched on weight, volume, ..
- The optical stretcher: a novel laser tool to micromanipulate cells
Center for Nonlinear Dynamics, Department of Physics, University of Texas at Austin, Texas 78712, USA
Biophys J 81:767-84. 2001
..The magnitude of the deforming forces in the optical stretcher thus bridges the gap between optical tweezers and atomic force microscopy for the study of biologic materials...
- The impact of the viscosity and osmolality of iodine contrast agents on renal elimination
TRG Diagnostic Imaging, Bayer Schering Pharma AG, Berlin, Germany
Invest Radiol 45:255-61. 2010
..properties and a high safety profile; however, according to a large retrospective study (Swedish registry), the viscosity of CAs may have an underestimated impact on renal failure...
- Controlled release of metronidazole benzoate from poly epsilon-caprolactone electrospun nanofibers for periodontal diseases
Department of Textile Engineering, Isfahan University of Technology, Isfahan, Iran
Eur J Pharm Biopharm 75:179-85. 2010
..an increase in the DCM:DMF ratio led to a decrease in the solution conductivity and an increase in the solution viscosity as well as in the nanofibers diameter...
- Viscosity and non-Newtonian features of thickened fluids used for dysphagia therapy
Dept of Mechanical Engineering, University College London, Torrington Place, London, UK
J Food Sci 75:E330-8. 2010
..on granulated maize starch are widely used in the care of patients with swallowing difficulties, increasing viscosity of consumed fluids...
- Single molecule measurements of F1-ATPase reveal an interdependence between the power stroke and the dwell duration
School of Life Sciences, Arizona State University, P O Box 874501, Tempe, Arizona 85287 4501, USA
Biochemistry 48:7979-85. 2009
..varied using different sizes of gold nanorods attached to the rotating gamma subunit and/or by increasing the viscosity of the medium using PEG-400, a noncompetitive inhibitor of ATPase activity...
- Oral and oropharyngeal perceptions of fluid viscosity across the age span
Christina H Smith
Department of Human Communication Science, University College London, London, England
Dysphagia 21:209-17. 2006
..However, it is not known what variations in viscosity can be perceived in the oral cavity or oropharynx or if age affects oral and oropharyngeal perceptions of fluid ..
- Non-invasive measurement of brain viscoelasticity using magnetic resonance elastography
Institute of Radiology, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Berlin, Germany
NMR Biomed 21:265-71. 2008
..time-resolved phase-difference wave images were recorded within 60 s and analyzed for shear stiffness and shear viscosity. Six healthy volunteers (six men; mean age 34...
- The impact of food viscosity on eating rate, subjective appetite, glycemic response and gastric emptying rate
Department of Food Science and Human Nutrition, Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa, USA
PLoS ONE 8:e67482. 2013
..However, whether a subtle change in viscosity of a semi-solid food would have a similar effect on appetite is unknown...
- The rheology of liquids: a comparison of clinicians' subjective impressions and objective measurement
Catriona M Steele
Oral Dynamics Laboratory, Graduate Department of Speech Language Pathology, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Dysphagia 18:182-95. 2003
..Fifty speech-language pathologists ranked the liquids in order of perceived viscosity, based on their interpretation of the product packaging and label...
- Tensile force transmission in human patellar tendon fascicles is not mediated by glycosaminoglycans
René B Svensson
Institute of Sports Medicine Copenhagen, Bispebjerg Hospital and Center for Healthy Aging, University of Copenhagen, Denmark
Connect Tissue Res 52:415-21. 2011
..The effect of deformation rate was not modulated by the treatment either, indicating no effect on viscosity. These results suggest that GAGs cannot be considered mediators of tensile force transmission in the human ..
- Viscoelastic properties of model segments of collagen molecules
Laboratory for Atomistic and Molecular Mechanics, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 77 Massachusetts Ave, Room 1 235A and B, Cambridge, MA, USA
Matrix Biol 31:141-9. 2012
..a nonlinear viscoelastic behavior, with a Young's modulus increasing from 6 to 16GPa (for strains up to 20%), a viscosity of 3.84.±0.38Pa·s, and a relaxation time in the range of 0.24-0.64ns...
- Application of a factorial design to the study of the flow behavior, spreadability and transparency of a Carbopol ETD 2020 gel. Part II
M D Contreras
Department of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Technology, School of Pharmacy, University of Granada, Campus of Cartuja, E 18071 Granada, Spain
Int J Pharm 234:149-57. 2002
..of Carbopol ETD 2020, ethanol and glycerine) on flow parameters (Casson's yield value (tau(c)), Casson's viscosity (eta(c)) and apparent viscosity at 125 s-1 (eta(ap.) 125 s-1), spreadability, and transparency...
- Measurement of local viscoelasticity and forces in living cells by magnetic tweezers
A R Bausch
Physik Department E22 Biophysics group, Technische Universität M unchen, D 85748 Garching
Biophys J 76:573-9. 1999
..The effective viscosity of the cytoplasm exhibits a relatively sharp distribution about an average of eta = 210 Pa s (+/- 143 Pa s)...
- Cross-linking molecules modify composite actin networks independently
K M Schmoller
Lehrstuhl für Biophysik E27, Technische Universitat Munchen, James Franck Strasse 1, 85748 Garching, Germany
Phys Rev Lett 101:118102. 2008
..The outnumbering ABP dictates the local network structure and therefore also dominates the macromechanical network response...
- Application of simultaneous saccharification and fermentation (SSF) from viscosity reducing of raw sweet potato for bioethanol production at laboratory, pilot and industrial scales
Environmental Microbiology Key Laboratory of Sichuan Province, Chengdu Institute of Biology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Chengdu, Sichuan 610041, PR China
Bioresour Technol 102:4573-9. 2011
..06 g/L, 4.89 g/L/h and 91.24%) and industrial scale (97.94 g/L, 4.19 g/L/h and 91.27%). When scaled up, the viscosity caused resistance to fermentation parameters, 1...
- The viscoelasticity of membrane tethers and its importance for cell adhesion
Applied Physics and Biophysics, Ludwig Maximilians University, 80799 Munich, Germany
Biophys J 95:1448-59. 2008
..anchorage of the receptor, which is described by the tether stiffness, the membrane rigidity, and the membrane viscosity. The measurements relate to a tether stiffness of k(t) = 1...
- Clinical performance of a mid-viscosity artificial tear for dry eye treatment
Peter A Simmons
Eye Care Research and Development, Allergan LLC, Irvine, CA 92612, USA
Cornea 26:294-302. 2007
We report the results of 3 studies conducted to evaluate the performance of a 1.0% carboxymethylcellulose (CMC) mid-viscosity artificial tear compared to currently marketed low-viscosity tears.
- Ultrastructural architecture and mechanical properties of attachment pads in Tettigonia viridissima (Orthoptera Tettigoniidae)
Biochemistry Department, Max Planck Institute of Developmental Biology, Tubingen, Germany
J Comp Physiol A 186:821-31. 2000
..88+/-0.616 s and tau2 =41.2 +/- 9.95 s. Low stiffness of material studied here aids in surface replication and increase of area of real contact between the pad and the underlying substrate...
- A distinct DGAT with sn-3 acetyltransferase activity that synthesizes unusual, reduced-viscosity oils in Euonymus and transgenic seeds
Timothy P Durrett
Department of Plant Biology, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI 48824, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107:9464-9. 2010
..the sn-3 acetyl group imparts acTAGs with different physical and chemical properties, such as a 30% reduction in viscosity, compared to lcTAGs...
- Viscosity of oat bran-enriched beverages influences gastrointestinal hormonal responses in healthy humans
Kristiina R Juvonen
Department of Clinical Nutrition, Food and Health Research Centre, School of Public Health and Clinical Nutrition, University of Kuopio, 70211 Kuopio, Finland
J Nutr 139:461-6. 2009
..However, effects of fiber viscosity on modulation of satiety-related gut hormone responses are largely unknown...
- Experimental evidence for a frustrated energy landscape in a three-helix-bundle protein family
Beth G Wensley
Department of Chemistry, University of Cambridge, MRC Centre for Protein Engineering, Lensfield Rd, Cambridge CB2 1EW UK
Nature 463:685-8. 2010
- In vivo brain viscoelastic properties measured by magnetic resonance elastography
Michael A Green
Prince of Wales Medical Research Institute, UNSW, Sydney, Australia
NMR Biomed 21:755-64. 2008
..1 kPa) to be significantly stiffer than white matter (2.7 kPa). The first in vivo loss modulus (G'') measurements show no significant difference between grey matter (2.5 kPa) and white matter (2.5 kPa)...
- Simultaneous transgenic suppression of LePG and LeExp1 influences fruit texture and juice viscosity in a fresh market tomato variety
Ann L T Powell
Department of Vegetable Crops, University of California, Davis, California 95616
J Agric Food Chem 51:7450-5. 2003
..disassembly is associated with loss of fresh fruit firmness as well as with loss of processed tomato product viscosity. Several enzymes contribute to cell wall polysaccharide disassembly...
- Oral cancer diagnosis by mechanical phenotyping
Torsten W Remmerbach
Department of Oral, Maxillofacial and Facial Plastic Surgery, University of Leipzig, Leipzig, Germany
Cancer Res 69:1728-32. 2009
..It could in principle be applied to any cancer to aid conventional diagnostic procedures...
- Effect of resin viscosity and enamel beveling on the clinical performance of Class V composite restorations: three-year results
Luiz Narciso Baratieri
Department of Operative Dentistry, Universidade Federal de Santa Catarina, Florianopolis, SC Brazil
Oper Dent 28:482-7. 2003
..Enamel beveling and composite viscosity appeared to not significantly affect the clinical performance of Class V non-retentive composite restorations ..
- The impact of aging and gender on brain viscoelasticity
Department of Radiology, Charite University Medicine Berlin, Campus Charite Mitte, Berlin, Germany
Neuroimage 46:652-7. 2009
..5 Hz revealed for the first time how physiological aging changes the global viscosity and elasticity of the brain...
- Validation of a one-dimensional model of the systemic arterial tree
Laboratory of Hemodynamics and Cardiovascular Technology, Ecole Polytechnique Federale de Lausanne, Lausanne, Switzerland
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 297:H208-22. 2009
..The study constitutes a first validation of the complete 1-D model using human pressure and flow data and supports the applicability of the 1-D model in the human circulation...
- Reconfigurable microfluidic integration of a dual-beam laser trap with biomedical applications
Institut für Experimentalphysik I, Universitat Leipzig, Linnestr 5, 04103, Leipzig, Germany
Biomed Microdevices 9:703-10. 2007
..Possible applications include the cytological diagnosis of cancer and the gentle and marker-free sorting of stem cells from heterogeneous populations for therapeutic cell-based approaches in regenerative medicine...
- Beta-glucan from two sources of oat concentrates affect postprandial glycemia in relation to the level of viscosity
University of Toronto, Faculty of Medicine, Department of Nutritional Sciences, Toronto, ON, M5S 3E2, Canada
J Am Coll Nutr 26:639-44. 2007
..This effect seems to be related to its rheological properties including viscosity. We examined the intra-fiber variability between two different processing methods of concentrating beta-glucan ..
- In vitro and in vivo evaluation of Pluronic F127-based ocular delivery system for timolol maleate
A H El-Kamel
Department of Pharmaceutics, Faculty of Pharmacy, King Saud University, Women Students Medical Studies and Science Sections, PO Box 22452, 11495, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Int J Pharm 241:47-55. 2002
..an attempt to reduce the concentration of PF127 without compromising the in situ gelling capabilities, various viscosity enhancing agents were added to PF127 solution containing 0.5% TM...
- Microemulsion-based media as novel drug delivery systems
M J Lawrence
Department of Pharmacy, King s College London, Franklin Wilkins Building, 150 Stamford Street, SE1 9NN, London, UK
Adv Drug Deliv Rev 45:89-121. 2000
..The use of microemulsions and closely related microemulsion-based systems as drug delivery vehicles is reviewed, with particular emphasis being placed on recent developments and future directions...
- Association between rmpA and magA genes and clinical syndromes caused by Klebsiella pneumoniae in Taiwan
Wen Liang Yu
Department of Intensive Care Medicine, Chi Mei Medical Center, Yungkang City, Tainan, Taiwan
Clin Infect Dis 42:1351-8. 2006
..However, the association of rmpA with K. pneumoniae clinical syndromes is unreported. We aimed to investigate the clinical correlation between rmpA and primary Klebsiella abscess, focusing on sites other than the liver...
- Viscosity of contrast media perturbs renal hemodynamics
Institut für Vegetative Physiologie, Berlin, Germany
J Am Soc Nephrol 18:2912-20. 2007
..concentrations but differing physiocochemical properties: the high-osmolality iopromide was compared to the high-viscosity iodixanol...
- Quantitative analysis of the viscoelastic properties of thin regions of fibroblasts using atomic force microscopy
R E Mahaffy
Department of Physics, Center for Nonlinear Dynamics, University of Texas, Austin, Texas, USA
Biophys J 86:1777-93. 2004
..Applying this decomposition and Tu's and Chen's finite depth models allow us to obtain viscoelastic signatures in a frequency range from 50 to 300 Hz, showing a rubber plateau-like behavior...
- Viscoelastic properties of human mesenchymally-derived stem cells and primary osteoblasts, chondrocytes, and adipocytes
Eric M Darling
Department of Surgery, Duke University Medical Center Durham, NC 27710, USA
J Biomech 41:454-64. 2008
..Furthermore, the identification of mechanical properties distinct to stem cells could result in more successful sorting procedures to enrich multipotent progenitor cell populations...
- Cell motility and local viscoelasticity of fibroblasts
Department of Physics, Texas Materials Institute, and Center for Nano and Molecular Science, University of Texas, Austin, Texas 78712, USA
Biophys J 89:4330-42. 2005
..The correlation between the enhanced motility and the decrease in viscoelastic moduli supports the Elastic Brownian Ratchet model for driving lamellipodia extension...
- Nanoscale hydrodynamics: enhanced flow in carbon nanotubes
Chemical and Materials Engineering Department, University of Kentucky, Lexington, Kentucky 40506, USA
Nature 438:44. 2005
..This high fluid velocity results from an almost frictionless interface at the carbon-nanotube wall...
- High-viscosity liquid meal accelerates gastric emptying
Department of Endoscopy and Endoscopic Surgery, Gunma University Hospital, Gunma, Japan
Neurogastroenterol Motil 19:879-86. 2007
Adding pectin to an elemental formula increases its viscosity through gelatinization, thus presumably preventing gastro-oesophageal reflux and aspiration pneumonia...
- The cell as a material
Karen E Kasza
Department of Physics and DEAS, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA 02138, USA
Curr Opin Cell Biol 19:101-7. 2007
..These networks are highly nonlinear, with an elastic modulus that depends sensitively on applied stress. Theories can account for some of the measured properties, but a complete model remains elusive...
- Effect of meal viscosity and nutrients on satiety, intragastric dilution, and emptying assessed by MRI
Magnetic Resonance Centre, School of Physics and Astronomy, Nottingham NG7 2RD, United Kingdom
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 280:G1227-33. 2001
..magnetic resonance imaging techniques in 12 healthy subjects with four polysaccharide test meals of varying viscosity and nutrient content as follows: 1) low-viscosity nonnutrient, 2) low-viscosity nutrient, 3) high-viscosity ..
- Interaction between PEVK-titin and actin filaments: origin of a viscous force component in cardiac myofibrils
Institute of Physiology, University of Heidelberg, Heidelberg, Germany
Circ Res 89:874-81. 2001
..We conclude that interaction between PEVK-titin and actin occurs in the sarcomere and may cause viscous drag during diastolic stretch of cardiac myofibrils. The interaction could also oppose shortening during contraction...
- Prebiotic oligosaccharides reduce stool viscosity and accelerate gastrointestinal transport in preterm infants
Walter A Mihatsch
Department of Paediatrics, Deaconry Hospital, Schwaebisch Hall, Germany
Acta Paediatr 95:843-8. 2006
..We hypothesized that GosFos would: (1) reduce stool viscosity and (2) accelerate gastrointestinal transport.
- In vitro and in vivo characterization of a potential universal placebo designed for use in vaginal microbicide clinical trials
Biosyn, Inc, Huntingdon Valley, PA 19006, USA
AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses 21:845-53. 2005
- High viscosity and anisotropy characterize the cytoplasm of fungal dormant stress-resistant spores
Department of Applied and Industrial Mycology, Centraalbureau voor Schimmelcultures, Uppsalalaan 8, 3584 CT Utrecht, The Netherlands
Eukaryot Cell 6:157-70. 2007
..Here, physical parameters of the cytoplasm of these types of spores were compared. Cytoplasmic viscosity and level of anisotropy as judged by spin probe studies (electron spin resonance) were extremely high in dormant ..
- Mucin biopolymers as broad-spectrum antiviral agents
Department of Biological Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02139, United States
Biomacromolecules 13:1724-32. 2012
..Our findings suggest that purified mucins may be used as a broad-range antiviral supplement to personal hygiene products, baby formula or lubricants to support our immune system...
- Effects of intra-articular sodium pentosan polysulfate and glucosamine on the cytology, total protein concentration and viscosity of synovial fluid in horses
Research and Clinical Training Unit, University Veterinary Teaching Hospital, University of Sydney, Camden, NSW, Australia
Aust Vet J 90:315-20. 2012
Evaluate synovial fluid cytology, total protein concentration and viscosity after intra-articular administration of combined pentosan polysulfate and glucosamine in horses.
- Intrarenal oxygenation by blood oxygenation level-dependent MRI in contrast nephropathy model: effect of the viscosity and dose
Lu Ping Li
Department of Radiology Center for Advanced Imaging, NorthShore University Healthsystem, Pritzker School of Medicine, University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois, USA
J Magn Reson Imaging 36:1162-7. 2012
To compare the effects of osmolality versus viscosity of radio-contrast media on intra-renal oxygenation as determined by blood oxygenation level-dependent (BOLD) MRI in a model of contrast induced nephropathy (CIN).
- Genetic analysis of starch paste viscosity parameters in glutinous rice (Oryza sativa L.)
Chang Jie Yan
Jiangsu Key Laboratory of Crop Genetics and Physiology, Key Laboratory of Plant Functional Genomics, Ministry of Education of China, Agricultural College of Yangzhou University, 12 East Wenhui Road, Jiangsu, 225009, People s Republic of China
Theor Appl Genet 122:63-76. 2011
Starch paste viscosity plays an important role in estimating the cooking, eating, and processing quality of rice. The inheritance of starch paste viscosity in glutinous rice remains undefined...
- Thermoreversible mucoadhesive ophthalmic in situ hydrogel: Design and optimization using a combination of polymers
Divyesh H Shastri
Department of Pharmaceutics, K B Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research, Gandhinagar, Gujarat 382023, India
Acta Pharm 60:349-60. 2010
..Gelation temperature, gel strength, bioadhesion force, viscosity and in vitro drug release after 1 and 10 h were selected as dependent variables...
- Measuring the viscoelastic properties of human platelets with the atomic force microscope
Department of Physics, University of California, Santa Barbara 93106, USA
Biophys J 70:556-67. 1996
..The elastic moduli were in a range of 1-50 kPa measured in the frequency range of 1-50 Hz. Loading forces could be controlled with a resolution of 80 pN and indentations of the platelet could be determined with a resolution of 20 nm...
- Homeostasis of plasma membrane viscosity in fluctuating temperatures
School of Life Sciences, Oxford Brookes University, Headington, Oxford OX3 0BP, UK
New Phytol 192:328-37. 2011
..Reducing temperature should, in the absence of other factors, increase the viscosity of a lipid membrane. We have investigated the effect of temperature variation on plasma membrane (PM) viscosity...
- Viscoelastic constitutive law in large deformations: application to human knee ligaments and tendons
D P Pioletti
Hopital Orthopedique de la Suisse Romande, Biomedical Engineering Laboratory, Federal Institute of Technology, Lausanne, Switzerland
J Biomech 31:753-7. 1998
..Three parameters -- two for the elasticity and one for the viscosity -- were enough to precisely fit the non-linear stress strain curves obtained at different strain rates with ..
- Role of pleural viscosity in the differential diagnosis of exudative pleural effusion
Department of Chest Disease, Inonu University School of Medicine, Malayta, Turkey
Respirology 12:267-71. 2007
..However, a reliable test for determining the aetiology of a pleural effusion is lacking. Pleural viscosity has a high sensitivity and specificity and a high positive and negative predictive value for discriminating ..
- Protein-flexibility mediated coupling between photoswitching kinetics and surrounding viscosity of a photochromic fluorescent protein
Ya Ting Kao
Department of Chemistry, Columbia University, New York, NY 10027, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 109:3220-5. 2012
..that the photoswitching kinetics of the chromophore inside Dronpa is actually slowed down by increasing medium viscosity outside Dronpa...
- Viscosity of glass-forming liquids
John C Mauro
Science and Technology Division, Corning Incorporated, Corning, NY 14831, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 106:19780-4. 2009
..Unfortunately, existing viscosity models, such as the Vogel-Fulcher-Tammann (VFT) and Avramov-Milchev (AM) equations, exhibit systematic error ..
- Scaling form of viscosity at all length-scales in poly(ethylene glycol) solutions studied by fluorescence correlation spectroscopy and capillary electrophoresis
Institute of Physical Chemistry PAS, Kasprzaka 44 52, 01 224 Warsaw, Poland
Phys Chem Chem Phys 11:9025-32. 2009
We measured the viscosity of poly(ethylene glycol) (PEG 6000, 12,000, 20,000) in water using capillary electrophoresis and fluorescence correlation spectroscopy with nanoscopic probes of different diameters (from 1.7 to 114 nm)...
- Increasing viscosity of the intestinal contents alters small intestinal structure and intestinal growth, and stimulates proliferation of enterotoxigenic Escherichia coli in newly-weaned pigs
D E McDonald
Division of Veterinary and Biomedical Sciences, Murdoch University, Murdoch, Western Australia 6150, Australia
Br J Nutr 86:487-98. 2001
..sodium carboxymethylcellulose (CMC), in a low-fibre weaning diet was tested to assess the influence of digesta viscosity on the gut in the absence of increased fermentation...
- Endothelial, cardiac muscle and skeletal muscle exhibit different viscous and elastic properties as determined by atomic force microscopy
A B Mathur
Center for Cellular and Biosurface Engineering, Department of Biomedical Engineering, Duke University, Box 90281, 136 Hudson Hall, Durham, NC 27708-0281, USA
J Biomech 34:1545-53. 2001
..4 kPa) depending on the location of the cell surface tested. Cardiac and skeletal muscle exhibited nonlinear elastic behavior. These passive mechanical properties are generally consistent with the function of these different cell types...
- Sustained release from lipid-core nanocapsules by varying the core viscosity and the particle surface area
Programa de Pós Graduação em Ciências Farmacêuticas, Faculdade de Farmacia, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul UFRGS, Porto Alegre, 90610 000 RS, Brazil
J Biomed Nanotechnol 5:130-40. 2009
..46 x 10(4) to 1.06 x 10(4) cm2 x ml(-1)). The presence of SM increased the viscosity of CCT and the IndOEt apparent permeability decreased from 4.26 x 10(-7) to 2...
- A highly sensitive fluorescent viscosity sensor
Rahimi M Yusop
School of Chemical Sciences and Food Technology, Faculty of Science and Technology, 43600 Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia, Selangor, Malaysia
Bioorg Med Chem Lett 22:5780-3. 2012
..the highest quantum yield and was observed to behave as a molecular rotor, displaying marked variations in fluorescent intensities with viscosity and offering possible application in cellular sensing and fluorescent polarisation assays.
- Dietary fibres in the regulation of appetite and food intake. Importance of viscosity
Department of Human Nutrition, Faculty of Life Sciences, University of Copenhagen, Rolighedsvej 30, DK 1958 Frederiksberg C, Denmark
Appetite 56:65-70. 2011
..Particularly the ability of some dietary fibres to increase viscosity of intestinal contents offers numerous opportunities to affect appetite regulation...
- Effect of viscosity on appetite and gastro-intestinal hormones
Top Institute Food and Nutrition, Wageningen, The Netherlands Division of Human Nutrition, Wageningen University, Wageningen, The Netherlands
Physiol Behav 97:68-75. 2009
In previous studies we showed that higher viscosity resulted in lower ad libitum intake and that eating rate is an important factor...
- Structural deformation of bacterial biofilms caused by short-term fluctuations in fluid shear: an in situ investigation of biofilm rheology
University of Exeter, Department of Biological Sciences, Hatherly Laboratories, Exeter, Devon EX4 4PS, UK
Biotechnol Bioeng 65:83-92. 1999
..The implications of these results for fluid energy losses and the processes of mass transfer and detachment are discussed...
- The effect of bolus viscosity on laryngeal closure in swallowing: kinematic analysis using 320-row area detector CT
Faculty of Rehabilitation, School of Health Sciences, Fujita Health University, 1 98 Dengakugakubo, Kutsukake, Toyoake, Aichi, 470 1192, Japan
Dysphagia 28:33-42. 2013
The present study examined the effect of bolus viscosity on the onset of laryngeal closure (relative to hyoid elevation), the duration of laryngeal closure, and other key events of swallowing in ten healthy volunteers...
- Interfacial water at hydrophobic and hydrophilic surfaces: slip, viscosity, and diffusion
Physik Department, Technische Universitat Munchen, 85748 Garching, Germany
Langmuir 25:10768-81. 2009
..On polar hydrophilic surfaces, in contrast, slip is absent, but the water viscosity is found to be increased within a thin surface layer...
- Imaging intracellular viscosity of a single cell during photoinduced cell death
Marina K Kuimova
Chemistry Department, Imperial College London, Exhibition Road, London SW7 2AZ, UK
Nat Chem 1:69-73. 2009
..The efficacy of this treatment depends on the viscosity of the medium through which the cytotoxic agent must diffuse...
- The influence of charge distribution on self-association and viscosity behavior of monoclonal antibody solutions
Late Stage Pharmaceutical Development, Genentech, Inc, 1 DNA Way, South San Francisco, California 94080, USA
Mol Pharm 9:791-802. 2012
..electrostatic surface potential distribution of monoclonal antibodies (MAbs) on intermolecular interactions and viscosity. Electrostatic models suggest MAb-1 has a less uniform surface charge distribution than MAb-2...
- Protein folding: adding a nucleus to guide helix docking reduces landscape roughness
Beth G Wensley
Department of Chemistry, University of Cambridge, Cambridge CB2 1EW, UK
J Mol Biol 423:273-83. 2012
..We suggest that, by providing access to an alternative, faster, folding route over their landscape, R16 and R17 can circumvent their slow, frustrated wild-type folding mechanism...
- Transient binding and dissipation in cross-linked actin networks
Lehrstuhl für Biophysik E27, Technische Universitat Munchen, Germany
Phys Rev Lett 101:108101. 2008
..by experimentally tuning the off rate of the transiently cross-linking molecules, their density, and the solvent viscosity. We reproduce the measured frequency response by a semiphenomenological model that is predicated on microscopic ..
- The role of the cytoskeleton in the viscoelastic properties of human articular chondrocytes
Wendy R Trickey
Departments of Surgery and Biomedical Engineering, Orthopaedic Research Laboratories, Duke University Medical Center, 375 Medical Sciences Research Bldg, P O Box 3093, Durham, NC 27710, USA
J Orthop Res 22:131-9. 2004
..With increasing cytochalasin D treatment, chondrocyte stiffness decreased by up to 90% and apparent viscosity decreased by up to 80%...
- An anisotropic-viscoplastic model of plant cell morphogenesis by tip growth
Department of Organismic and Evolutionary Biology, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA 02138, USA
Int J Dev Biol 50:209-22. 2006
..Finally, we show that the mechanical anisotropy built into the model is required to account for observed patterns of wall expansion in plant cells...
- Sperm motility: is viscosity fundamental to progress?
Jackson C Kirkman-Brown
The Centre for Human Reproductive Science, Birmingham Women s Hospital, Edgbaston, Birmingham, UK
Mol Hum Reprod 17:539-44. 2011
..What most research has neglected to consider is the role that the viscosity of the mucous layers, which coat the entire tract and through which sperm must swim, plays in both sperm ..
- Substrate viscosity enhances correlation in epithelial sheet movement
Department of Biological Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA
Biophys J 101:297-306. 2011
..To better mimic physiological substrates that have inherent viscosity, we probe this relationship using polydimethylsiloxane, a substrate whose mechanical properties can be tuned ..
- Assessment of in vivo and post-mortem mechanical behavior of brain tissue using magnetic resonance elastography
Institut de mécanique des fluides et des solides UMR 7507 CNRS ULP, Strasbourg, France
J Biomech 41:2954-9. 2008
..02). These results illustrate the ability of MRE to investigate some of the critical soft tissue biomechanics-related issues, as it can be used as a non-invasive tool for measuring soft tissue viscoelastic properties...
- Viscoelasticity-based MR elastography of skeletal muscle
Department of Radiology, Charite Universitatsmedizin, Berlin, Germany
Phys Med Biol 55:6445-59. 2010
..253 ± 0.009) to contraction (α = 0.270 ± 0.009). These results provide a reference for a future assessment of muscular dysfunction using rheological parameters...
- Ester hydroxy derivatives of methyl oleate: tribological, oxidation and low temperature properties
Brajendra K Sharma
USDA NCAUR ARS, Food and Industrial Oil Research, 1815 North University Street, Peoria, IL 61604, USA
Bioresour Technol 99:7333-40. 2008
..Overall, the data indicate that some of these derivatives have significant potential as a lubricating oil or fuel additives...
- Analysis of viscoelastic wall properties in ovine arteries
Department of Mathematics, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC 27695 USA
IEEE Trans Biomed Eng 56:210-9. 2009
..We also show that for all locations, the inclusion of viscoelastic behavior is important to capture pressure-area dynamics...
- Fluctuations of the red blood cell membrane: relation to mechanical properties and lack of ATP dependence
King s College London, Randall Division of Cell and Molecular Biophysics, Guy s Campus, London, United Kingdom
Biophys J 94:4134-44. 2008
..This was caused by a rise in internal viscosity, as shown by measurements on resealed ghosts containing a reduced hemoglobin concentration, which displayed no ..
- Laser assisted bioprinting of engineered tissue with high cell density and microscale organization
Universite Victor Segalen Bordeaux 2, Bordeaux Cedex, France
Biomaterials 31:7250-6. 2010
..We have studied the effect of the viscosity of the bioink, laser energy, and laser printing speed on the resolution of cell printing...
- Critical evaluation of Nanoparticle Tracking Analysis (NTA) by NanoSight for the measurement of nanoparticles and protein aggregates
Division of Drug Delivery Technology, Leiden Amsterdam Center for Drug Research, Leiden University, P O Box 9502, 2300, RA, Leiden, The Netherlands
Pharm Res 27:796-810. 2010
..To evaluate the nanoparticle tracking analysis (NTA) technique, compare it with dynamic light scattering (DLS) and test its performance in characterizing drug delivery nanoparticles and protein aggregates...
- A novel virulence gene in Klebsiella pneumoniae strains causing primary liver abscess and septic metastatic complications
Chi Tai Fang
Department of Internal Medicine, National Taiwan University Hospital, Taipei 100
J Exp Med 199:697-705. 2004
..We conclude that magA fits molecular Koch's postulates as a virulence gene. Thus, this locus can be used as a marker for the rapid diagnosis and for tracing the source of this emerging infectious disease...
- Preliminary characterization of exopolysaccharides produced by a marine biofilm-forming bacterium Pseudoalteromonas ruthenica (SBT 033)
Department of Biotechnology, School of Life Sciences, Pondicherry University, Puducherry 605 014, India
Lett Appl Microbiol 46:1-6. 2008
..The major objective of the present study was the partial characterization of the exopolysaccharides (EPS) produced by a marine biofilm-forming bacterium Pseudoalteromonas ruthenica under shake culture conditions...
- Stepping, strain gating, and an unexpected force-velocity curve for multiple-motor-based transport
Department of Developmental and Cell Biology, University of California, Irvine, California 92697, USA
Curr Biol 18:1173-83. 2008
..Although we understand single motors experimentally and theoretically, our understanding of multiple motors working together is less developed...
- Computational modeling of ligament mechanics
J A Weiss
Department of Bioengineering, University of Utah, Salt Lake City 84112, USA
Crit Rev Biomed Eng 29:303-71. 2001
..Applications of one-dimensional and three-dimensional constitutive models in the representation of the mechanical behavior of joints are presented. Future research directions are identified...
- Ras diffusion is sensitive to plasma membrane viscosity
J Shawn Goodwin
Department of Molecular Physiology and Biophysics, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Nashville, Tennessee 37232, USA
Biophys J 89:1398-410. 2005
..GPI)-anchored and transmembrane proteins below the theoretical limit imposed by membrane viscosity. How the diffusion of proteins residing exclusively on the inner leaflet of the plasma membrane is regulated has ..
- Reversible stress softening of actin networks
UC San Francisco UC Berkeley Joint Graduate Group in Bioengineering and Department of Bioengineering, University of California at Berkeley, Berkeley, California 94720, USA
Nature 445:295-8. 2007
..The observation of both stress stiffening and softening suggests a complex interplay between entropic and enthalpic elasticity in determining the mechanical properties of actin networks...
- The influence of cement viscosity on the early migration of a tapered polished femoral stem
Oxford Orthopaedic Engineering Centre, Nuffield Orthopaedic Centre, Windmill Road, Headington, Oxford, OX3 7LD, UK
Int Orthop 27:362-5. 2003
It is unclear whether it is best to use high-viscosity or low-viscosity cement for fixation of total hip replacement (THR) femoral components...
- Viscosity and solute dependence of F-actin translocation by rabbit skeletal heavy meromyosin
P B Chase
Department of Radiology, University of Washington, Seattle 98195, USA
Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 278:C1088-98. 2000
We tested the hypothesis that solvent viscosity affects translocation of rhodamine phalloidin-labeled F-actin by rabbit skeletal heavy meromyosin (HMM). When viscosity was increased using either glycerol, fructose, sucrose, or dextran (1...