Summary: The quality or state of being wettable or the degree to which something can be wet. This is also the ability of any solid surface to be wetted when in contact with a liquid whose surface tension is reduced so that the liquid spreads over the surface of the solid.
Publications289 found, 100 shown here
- Influence of wettability and surface activity on release behavior of hydrophilic substances from lipid matricesS Koennings
Department of Pharmaceutical Technology, University of Regensburg, Universitaetsstr 31, 93040 Regensburg, Germany
J Control Release 119:173-81. 2007..and the analysis of buffer penetration visualized by confocal microscopy emphasized the role of matrix wettability as a prerequisite for release...
- Effect of wettability and surface functional groups on protein adsorption and cell adhesion using well-defined mixed self-assembled monolayersYusuke Arima
Institute for Frontier Medical Sciences, Kyoto University, 53 Kawahara cho, Shogoin, Sakyo ku, Kyoto 606 8507, Japan
Biomaterials 28:3074-82. 2007..These facts suggest that cell adhesion is mainly determined by surface wettability, but is also affected by the surface functional group, its surface density, and the kinds of cells...
- Recent developments in bio-inspired special wettabilityKesong Liu
Research Center for Biomimetic Smart Science and Technology, College of Chemistry and Environment, Beijing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics, Beijing 100191, PR China
Chem Soc Rev 39:3240-55. 2010..four and a half billion years of stringent evolution, some creatures in nature exhibit fascinating surface wettability. Biomimetics, mimicking nature for engineering solutions, provides a model for the development of functional ..
- Influence of surface wettability on competitive protein adsorption and initial attachment of osteoblastsJianhua Wei
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, School of Stomatology, Fourth Military Medical University, 145 West Changle Road, Xi an 710032, People s Republic of China
Biomed Mater 4:045002. 2009This study investigated the influence of surface wettability on competitive protein adsorption and the initial attachment of osteoblasts...
- Biophysics: water-repellent legs of water stridersXuefeng Gao
Key Laboratory of Organic Solids, Institute of Chemistry, Beijing 100080, China
Nature 432:36. 2004..We show here, however, that it is the special hierarchical structure of the legs, which are covered by large numbers of oriented tiny hairs (microsetae) with fine nanogrooves, that is more important in inducing this water resistance...
- Atmospheric plasma enhances wettability and cell spreading on dental implant metalsKathrin Duske
Unit of Periodontology, Department of Restorative Dentistry, Periodontology and Endodontology, Dental School, Ernst Moritz Arndt University Greifswald, Greifswald, Germany
J Clin Periodontol 39:400-7. 2012..Increased wettability may be an important factor for re-osseointegration...
- Relative importance of surface wettability and charged functional groups on NIH 3T3 fibroblast attachment, spreading, and cytoskeletal organizationK Webb
Department of Bioengineering, University of Utah, Salt Lake City 84112, USA
J Biomed Mater Res 41:422-30. 1998..In this study, we have prepared model surfaces with different functional groups to provide a range of surface wettability and charge...
- Bioinspired surfaces with special wettabilityTaolei Sun
Institute of Chemistry, Chinese Academy of Sciences corrected Beijing 100080, People s Republic of China
Acc Chem Res 38:644-52. 2005Biomimetic research indicates that many phenomena regarding wettability in nature, such as the self-cleaning effect on a lotus leaf and cicada wing, the anisotropic dewetting behavior on a rice leaf, and striking superhydrophobic force ..
- Surface tension transport of prey by feeding shorebirds: the capillary ratchetManu Prakash
Center for Bits and Atoms, Massachusetts Institute of Technology MIT, 20 Ames Street, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA
Science 320:931-4. 2008..We also highlight the critical dependence of the capillary ratchet on the beak's wetting properties, thus making clear the vulnerability of capillary feeders to surface pollutants...
- Adsorption/desorption phenomena on pure and Teflon AF-coated titania surfaces studied by dynamic contact angle analysisF Rupp
Department of Prosthetic Dentistry, Medical Materials and Technology, University of Tuebingen, Osianderstrasse 2 8, D 72076 Tuebingen, Germany
J Biomed Mater Res 62:567-78. 2002..on the dynamic contact angle analysis (DCA), which is a tool for online measurements of dynamic changes of wettability without disturbing the interface during detection...
- Mimicking natural superhydrophobic surfaces and grasping the wetting process: a review on recent progress in preparing superhydrophobic surfacesY Y Yan
Energy and Sustainability Research Division, Faculty of Engineering, University of Nottingham, UK
Adv Colloid Interface Sci 169:80-105. 2011..angle of a water droplet resting on a superhydrophobic surface is greater than 150°, which means extremely low wettability is achievable on superhydrophobic surfaces...
- Wetting of flexible fibre arraysC Duprat
Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Princeton University, Princeton, New Jersey 08544, USA
Nature 482:510-3. 2012..These ideas are applicable to a wide range of fibrous materials, as we illustrate with examples for feathers, beetle tarsi, sprays and microfabricated systems...
- A review of adhesion scienceSally J Marshall
University of California, San Francisco, S D Preventive and Restorative Dental Science, 707 Parnassus Avenue, San Francisco, CA 94141 0758, USA
Dent Mater 26:e11-6. 2010..Adhesion science focuses on understanding the materials properties associated with formation of the interfaces, changes in the interfaces with time, and events associated with failure of the interfaces...
- Temperature controlled water/oil wettability of a surface fabricated by a block copolymer: application as a dual water/oil on-off switchBaolong Xue
Key Laboratory of Bio inspired Smart Interfacial, Science and Technology of Ministry of Education, School of Chemistry and Environment, Beihang University, Beijing, 100191, P R China
Adv Mater 25:273-7. 2013..Water can permeate through the BCP-coated mesh, and oil cannot below the LCST, whereas oil can and water cannot above the LCST...
- Surface wettability plays a significant role in gecko adhesion underwaterAlyssa Y Stark
Integrated Bioscience Program, and Department of Polymer Science, The University of Akron, Akron, OH 44325, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 110:6340-5. 2013..effort to begin closing this gap, we tested the adhesion of geckos on submerged substrates that vary in their wettability. When tested on a wet hydrophilic surface, geckos produced a significantly lower shear adhesive force (5.4 ± 1...
- Solvent composition of one-step self-etch adhesives and dentine wettabilityGeneviève Grégoire
Department of Biomaterials, Faculty of Odontology, University Toulouse III, 31062 Toulouse, France
J Dent 39:30-9. 2011Our aim was to determine the wettability of dentine by four commercial self-etch adhesives and evaluate their spreading rate on the dentine surface...
- Engineered antifouling microtopographies--correlating wettability with cell attachmentMichelle L Carman
Department of Biomedical Engineering, University of Florida, Gainesville 32611 6400, USA
Biofouling 22:11-21. 2006Bioadhesion and surface wettability are influenced by microscale topography...
- Wettability of grapheneRishi Raj
Device Research Laboratory, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02139, United States
Nano Lett 13:1509-15. 2013..Studies focused on understanding the wettability of graphene for thermo-fluidic and surface-coating applications, however, have been sparse...
- Substrate stiffness modulates gene expression and phenotype in neonatal cardiomyocytes in vitroGiancarlo Forte
Biomaterials Unit, International Center for Materials Nanoarchitectonics MANA, National Institute for Materials Science NIMS, Tsukuba, Japan
Tissue Eng Part A 18:1837-48. 2012..These events highlight the differences in cell mechanosensitivity in a heterogeneous cell preparation and are likely to contribute to the differences encountered in cardiac cell phenotype induced by substrate stiffness...
- Chemical imaging of protein adsorption and crystallization on a wettability gradient surfaceStefanie Glassford
Department of Chemical Engineering, Imperial College London, South Kensington Campus, London, SW7 2AZ, United Kingdom
Langmuir 28:3174-9. 2012..These findings strongly suggest a correlation exists between surface protein adsorption and protein crystallization. This method could be applied to the study of other proteins and whole cells...
- Encoding complex wettability patterns in chemically functionalized 3D photonic crystalsIan B Burgess
School of Engineering and Applied Sciences, Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138, United States
J Am Chem Soc 133:12430-2. 2011..Using a highly ordered 3D photonic crystal as a regionally functionalized porous carrier, we generate complex wettability patterns...
- Cold radiofrequency plasma treatment modifies wettability and germination speed of plant seedsEdward Bormashenko
Ariel University Center of Samaria, Physics Faculty, Ariel, Israel
Sci Rep 2:741. 2012..Significant growth of the peaks corresponding to the nitrogen containing groups in the mass spectra of air plasma treated seeds was registered by TOF-SIMS spectroscopy...
- Precursor film in dynamic wetting, electrowetting, and electro-elasto-capillarityQuanzi Yuan
State Key Laboratory of Nonlinear Mechanics, Institute of Mechanics, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing 100190, People s Republic of China
Phys Rev Lett 104:246101. 2010..Our findings may be one of the answers to the Huh-Scriven paradox and expand our knowledge of dynamic wetting and electrowetting...
- Non-adhesive lotus and other hydrophobic materialsDavid Quéré
Laboratoire de Physique et Mecanique des Milieux Heterogenes, ESPCI, 75005 Paris, France
Philos Trans A Math Phys Eng Sci 366:1539-56. 2008..This description allows us to discuss (in quite a preliminary way) the optimal design to be given to a solid surface to make it robustly water repellent...
- Stable liquid water droplet on a water monolayer formed at room temperature on ionic model substratesChunlei Wang
Shanghai Institute of Applied Physics, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Shanghai, 201800, China
Phys Rev Lett 103:137801. 2009..Remarkably, there remains a considerable number of dangling OH bonds in this room temperature water monolayer, in contrast with the absence of dangling OH bonds at cryogenic temperature...
- Effects of irrigation solutions on dentin wettability and roughnessXiaoli Hu
Department of Operative Dentistry and Endodontics, Guanghua College of Stomatology, Sun Yat Sen University, Guangzhou, China
J Endod 36:1064-7. 2010..It is hypothesized that irrigation solutions might influence the physicochemical properties of human root canal dentin including the wettability and roughness.
- Effects of surface wettability and contact time on protein adhesion to biomaterial surfacesLi Chong Xu
Department of Surgery, Biomedical Engineering Institute, The Pennsylvania State University, College of Medicine, Hershey, PA 17033, USA
Biomaterials 28:3273-83. 2007..and low density polyethylene (LDPE) surfaces treated by glow discharge plasma to yield various levels of water wettability. The adhesion of proteins to the LDPE substrates showed a step dependence on the wettability of surfaces as ..
- Physical and mechanical properties of an experimental dental composite based on a new monomerM Atai
Iran Polymer and Petrochemical Institute IPPI, P O Box 14965 115 Tehran, Iran
Dent Mater 20:663-8. 2004....
- Wettability of soybean (Glycine max L.) leaves by foliar sprays with respect to developmental changesDiana W Moran Puente
Bayer CropScience AG, Industrial Park Hochst, Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Pest Manag Sci 67:798-806. 2011Leaf wettability considerably defines the degree of retention of water and agrochemical sprays on crop and non-target plant surfaces...
- Low-temperature aluminum reduction of graphene oxide, electrical properties, surface wettability, and energy storage applicationsDongyun Wan
CAS Key Laboratory of Materials for Energy Conversion, Shanghai Institute of Ceramics, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Shanghai 200050, People s Republic of China
ACS Nano 6:9068-78. 2012..Overall, low-temperature Al reduction is an effective method to prepare highly conductive RGO papers and related composites for flexible energy conversion and storage device applications...
- Surface energy and wettability of polymers light-cured by two different systemsFátima Maria Namen
Department of Biomaterials, Fluminense Federal University, Niteroi, RJ, Brazil
J Appl Oral Sci 19:517-20. 2011This study evaluated the surface energy and wettability of composite resins polymerized by different light-curing units to ascertain the good wetting of tooth surfaces to achieve adhesion.
- Enhanced adhesion of osteoblastic cells on polystyrene films by independent control of surface topography and wettabilitySeung Yun Yang
National Creative Research Center for Block Copolymer Self Assembly, Departments of Environmental Science and Engineering and Chemical Engineering, Pohang University of Science and Technology, Pohang, 790 784, South Korea
Mater Sci Eng C Mater Biol Appl 33:1689-95. 2013We independently controlled surface topography and wettability of polystyrene (PS) films by CF4 and oxygen plasma treatments, respectively, to evaluate the adhesion and proliferation of human fetal osteoblastic (hFOB) cells on the films...
- Reversible switching between hydrophilic and hydrophobic superparamagnetic iron oxide microspheres via one-step supramolecular dynamic dendronization: exploration of dynamic wettabilityKen Cham Fai Leung
Center of Novel Functional Molecules, Department of Chemistry, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shatin, NT, Hong Kong SAR
ACS Appl Mater Interfaces 1:2005-12. 2009..Comparatively, the rate of decrease of the contact angle is H2O > 1% Co(OAc)2/H2O > N,N'-dimethylformamide/H2O (1:1)...
- Selective binding of carbamate pesticides by self-assembled monolayers of calixarene lipoic acid: wettability and impedance dual-signal responseGui Fen Zhang
Key Laboratory of Pesticide and Chemical Biology CCNU, Ministry of Education, College of Chemistry, Central China Normal University, Wuhan 430079, P R China
Org Lett 13:3392-5. 2011..It was immobilized on Au surfaces via self-assembly to offer C4LA Self-Assembled Monolayers (SAMs). The SAMs show wettability and electrochemical impedance dual-signal response for methomyl with highly sensitivity and selectivity.
- Wettability and antifouling behavior on the surfaces of superhydrophilic polymer brushesMotoyasu Kobayashi
Japan Science Technology Agency, ERATO, Takahara Soft Interfaces Project
Langmuir 28:7212-22. 2012....
- Non-wetting wings and legs of the cranefly aided by fine structures of the cuticleHsuan Ming S Hu
School of Pharmacy and Molecular Sciences, James Cook University, Townsville, Qld 4811, Australia
J Exp Biol 214:915-20. 2011..Here we demonstrate that this fine hair structure enhances the ability of the hairs to resist penetration into water bodies...
- The effect of surface wettability on induction and growth of neurites from the PC-12 cell on a polymer surfaceSang Jin Lee
School of Chemical Engineering, Hanyang University, 17 Haengdang dong, Seongdong Ku, Seoul 133 791, South Korea
J Colloid Interface Sci 259:228-35. 2003..In our previous studies, we prepared a wettability gradient on polyethylene (PE) surfaces using a corona discharge treatment from a knife-type electrode whose ..
- Quantification of physical (roughness) and chemical (dielectric constant) leaf surface properties relevant to wettability and adhesionJustin J Nairn
Plant Protection Chemistry NZ Ltd, Rotorua, New Zealand
Pest Manag Sci 67:1562-70. 2011..Static droplet contact angles were measured on each leaf surface, and wetting tension was calculated. Chemical profiles of the leaf surfaces were developed by evaluating contact angle behaviour relative to solution dielectric constants...
- The roles of titanium surface micro/nanotopography and wettability on the differential response of human osteoblast lineage cellsRolando A Gittens
School of Materials Science and Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA 30332 0363, USA
Acta Biomater 9:6268-77. 2013..Surface wettability has also been suggested to play an important role in osteoblast differentiation and osseointegration...
- The responses to surface wettability gradients induced by chitosan nanofilms on microtextured titanium mediated by specific integrin receptorsJung Hwa Park
School of Materials Science and Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA 30332, USA
Biomaterials 33:7386-93. 2012..Surface chemistry and wettability are connected directly...
- Addition of silver nanoparticles reduces the wettability of methacrylate and silorane-based compositesShahin Kasraei
Department of Operative Dentistry, Dental Research Center, Dental School, Hamadan Univ of Medical Sciences, Hamadan, Iran
Braz Oral Res 26:505-10. 2012..resins is recommended for their reported antibacterial properties, but this incorporation can affect the wettability of such materials...
- In situ surface-modification-induced superhydrophobic patterns with reversible wettability and adhesionYuekun Lai
Physikalisches Institute and Center for Nanotechnology CeNTech, Westfalische Wilhelms Universitat Munster, Munster, Germany
Adv Mater 25:1682-6. 2013Herein is described a facile, in situ, ink-regulating approach to rapidly achieve reversible water wettability and adhesion transition, with a large degree of contrast, on superhydrophobic TiO2 nanotube array film...
- The role of surface wettability and surface charge of electrosprayed nanoapatites on the behaviour of osteoblastsE S Thian
Department of Mechanical Engineering, National University of Singapore, 9 Engineering Drive 1, Singapore 117 576, Singapore
Acta Biomater 6:750-5. 2010..The modification of nanoapatite by the addition of silicon into the HA lattice structure renders the electrosprayed surface more hydrophilic and electronegatively charged...
- Bioinspired patterning with extreme wettability contrast on TiO2 nanotube array surface: a versatile platform for biomedical applicationsYuekun Lai
Physikalisches Institute and Center for Nanotechnology CeNTech, Westfalische Wilhelms Universitat Munster, Munster D 48149, Germany National Engineering Laboratory of Modern Silk, College of Textile and Clothing Engineering, Soochow University, Suzhou 215123, PR China
Small 9:2945-53. 2013Binary wettability patterned surfaces with extremely high wetting contrasts can be found in nature on living creatures. They offer a versatile platform for microfluidic management...
- Dual role of outer epicuticular lipids in determining the wettability of dragonfly wingsSong Ha T Nguyen
Faculty of Life and Social Sciences, Swinburne University of Technology, PO Box 218, Hawthorn, Vic 3122, Australia
Colloids Surf B Biointerfaces 106:126-34. 2013..This knowledge will be extremely valuable for reconstruction of dragonfly wing structures as a biomimetic template...
- Adaptive fluid-infused porous films with tunable transparency and wettabilityXi Yao
School of Engineering and Applied Sciences, Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138, USA
Nat Mater 12:529-34. 2013..stimulus can be directly translated into finely tuned, dynamic adjustments of optical transparency and wettability. In particular, we demonstrate simultaneous control of the film's transparency and its ability to continuously ..
- Novel whole cell adhesion assays of three isolates of the fouling diatom Amphora coffeaeformis reveal diverse responses to surfaces of different wettabilityOliver M Hodson
School of Botany, The University of Melbourne, Parkville, Victoria, 3010, Australia
Biofouling 28:381-93. 2012..was compared, there was no significant difference in the percentage of cells removed, irrespective of surface wettability. Cells of the three isolates of A...
- Roughness induced dynamic changes of wettability of acid etched titanium implant modificationsF Rupp
Department of Prosthodontics and Medical Materials, Section of Medical Materials and Technology, University of Tuebingen, Osianderstr 2 8, D 72076 Tuebingen, Germany
Biomaterials 25:1429-38. 2004Dynamic contact angle analysis (DCA) was used to investigate time-dependent wettability changes of sandblasted and acid-etched commercially pure (cp) titanium (Ti) implant modifications during their initial contact with aqueous systems ..
- Effects of surface wettability, flow, and protein concentration on macrophage and astrocyte adhesion in an in vitro model of central nervous system catheter obstructionCarolyn A Harris
Department of Neurosurgery and Division of Pediatric Neurosurgery, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, Utah 84132, USA
J Biomed Mater Res A 97:433-40. 2011..8 to 240 mg/dL) conditions similar to those observed in the physiological state. Oxidation (to increase wettability) had an inhibitory effect on macrophage cell binding (yielding a significant 88% change) that was generally ..
- Enhancing the settlement and attachment strength of pediveligers of Mytilus galloprovincialis by changing surface wettability and microtopographyC Carl
School of Marine and Tropical Biology, James Cook University, Townsville, Queensland, Australia
Biofouling 28:175-86. 2012Surface wettability and microtopography can either enhance or deter larval settlement of many sessile marine organisms...
- Tunable 3D and 2D polystyrene nanoparticle assemblies using surface wettability, low volume fraction and surfactant effectsS Pillai
Interdisciplinary Nanoscience Center, University of Aarhus, Aarhus C, Denmark
Nanotechnology 20:025604. 2009..Our observations may initiate interesting applications in the areas of nanoengineering of metal-based sensors and as a means to design new nanostructures for biocompatible implant surfaces...
- Mimicking the rice leaf--from ordered binary structures to anisotropic wettabilityDifu Zhu
State Key Laboratory for Supramolecular Structure and Materials, College of Chemistry, Jilin University, Changchun 130012, PR China
Langmuir 26:14276-83. 2010..These unique surfaces mimic the natural rice leaf structurally, which also displays anisotropic wettability for water droplet as natural surfaces...
- Repellency of the lotus leaf: resistance to water intrusion under hydrostatic pressureC W Extrand
Entegris, Inc, 101 Peavey Road, Chaska, Minnesota 55318, United States
Langmuir 27:6920-5. 2011..The predicted maximum pressure agrees well with reported values from experimental measurements...
- Droplet motion on designed microtextured superhydrophobic surfaces with tunable wettabilityGuoping Fang
State Key Laboratory for Mechanical Behavior of Materials, Xi an Jiaotong University, Xi an 710049, PR China
Langmuir 24:11651-60. 2008..Recently, designed microstructures have been experimentally applied to construct wettability gradients and direct the droplet motion...
- Effects of amine fluoride on biofilm growth and salivary pelliclesH C van der Mei
Department of Biomedical Engineering, University Medical Center Groningen and University of Groningen, Groningen, The Netherlands
Caries Res 42:19-27. 2008..The major effect of AmF treatment, however, was a reduction brought about in biofilm viability...
- Surfactive and antibacterial activity of cetylpyridinium chloride formulations in vitro and in vivoHenk J Busscher
Department of Biomedical Engineering, University Medical Center Groningen, University of Groningen, Groningen, The Netherlands
J Clin Periodontol 35:547-54. 2008..To compare effects of three cetylpyridinium chloride (CPC) formulations with and without alcohol and Tween80 on physico-chemical properties of salivary pellicles, bacterial detachment in vitro and bacterial killing in vivo...
- The influence of a hexametaphosphate-containing chewing gum on the wetting ability of salivary conditioning films in vitro and in vivoH C van der Mei
Department of Biomedical Engineering, University of Groningen, Groningen, The Netherlands
J Clin Dent 14:14-8. 2003..This study assessed the effects of hexametaphosphate release from a chewing gum matrix on the wetting ability of salivary conditioning films in vitro and in vivo...
- Determining the contribution of epidermal cell shape to petal wettability using isogenic Antirrhinum linesHeather M Whitney
Department of Plant Sciences, University of Cambridge, Cambridge, United Kingdom
PLoS ONE 6:e17576. 2011..structure, conical cells, we were able to investigate how the structure of the epidermis influences petal wettability by measuring the surface contact angle of water drops...
- Wetting properties on nanostructured surfaces of cicada wingsMingxia Sun
Key Laboratory of Zoological Systematics and Evolution, Institute of Zoology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing 100101, China
J Exp Biol 212:3148-55. 2009This study has investigated the wettability of forewings of 15 species of cicadas, with distinctly different wetting properties related to their nanostructures...
- How micro/nanoarchitecture facilitates anti-wetting: an elegant hierarchical design on the termite wingGregory S Watson
School of Pharmacy and Molecular Sciences, James Cook University, Townsville, Qld 4811, Australia
ACS Nano 4:129-36. 2010..Elucidating the function of such structures has implications for understanding insect biology and the evolution of wings...
- Oral implant surfaces: Part 1--review focusing on topographic and chemical properties of different surfaces and in vivo responses to themTomas Albrektsson
Department of Biomaterials Handicap Research, Institute for Surgical Sciences, Goteborg University, Sweden
Int J Prosthodont 17:536-43. 2004..This article reviews the topographic and chemical properties of different oral implant surfaces and in vivo responses to them...
- The behavior of MC3T3-E1 cells on chitosan/poly-L-lysine composite films: effect of nanotopography, surface chemistry, and wettabilityZhenhuan Zheng
Department of Biological Sciences and Biotechnology, State Key Laboratory of Biomembrane and Membrane Biotechnology, Tsinghua University, Beijing 100084, China
J Biomed Mater Res A 89:453-65. 2009..The surface topography, chemistry, and wettability of composite films were characterized by atomic force microscopy (AFM), attenuated total reflection Fourier ..
- A study of the anti-reflection efficiency of natural nano-arrays of varying sizesMingxia Sun
Key Laboratory of the Zoological Systematics and Evolution, Institute of Zoology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, 100101 Beijing, People s Republic of China
Bioinspir Biomim 6:026003. 2011The dependence of optical reflectivity and wettability on the surface topography of 32 species of cicada wing membranes has been investigated using UV-visible spectrophotometry, contact angle measurements and environmental scanning ..
- A protocol for determining the surface free energy of dental materialsEdward C Combe
Minnesota Dental Research Center for Biomaterials and Biomechanics, University of Minnesota School of Dentistry, 16 212 Moos Tower, 515 Delaware Street SE, Minneapolis, MN 55455, USA
Dent Mater 20:262-8. 2004..The purpose of this study was to develop a standard methodology for measuring the surface free energy (SFE), and its component parts, of dental biomaterials...
- Influence of dentifrices and dietary components in saliva on wettability of pellicle-coated enamel in vitro and in vivoH C van der Mei
Department of Biomedical Engineering, University of Groningen, Groningen, The Netherlands
Eur J Oral Sci 110:434-8. 2002....
- Wettability and bonding of self-etching dental adhesives. Influence of the smear layerJose A Aguilar-Mendoza
Biocolloid and Fluid Physics Group, Department of Applied Physics, University of Granada, Spain
Dent Mater 24:994-1000. 2008To evaluate dentin wettability and bonding of self-etching and total-etch adhesives on smear layer-covered and smear layer-free dentin.
- Hexametaphosphate effects on tooth surface conditioning film chemistry--in vitro and in vivo studiesHenk J Busscher
University of Groningen, Department of Biomedical Engineering, Groningen, The Netherlands
J Clin Dent 13:38-43. 2002..These surface chemistries may contribute to the unique clinical actions of hexametaphosphate established in recently reported, randomized clinical studies of tartar control, stain prevention and stain removal effects...
- Tuning cell adhesion by controlling the roughness and wettability of 3D micro/nano silicon structuresA Ranella
Institute of Electronic Structure and Laser, Foundation for Research and Technology Hellas, IESL FORTH, Heraklion, Greece
Acta Biomater 6:2711-20. 2010..Variable roughness could be achieved by changing the laser pulse fluence and control over wettability and therefore surface energy could be obtained by covering the structures with various conformal coatings, ..
- Adhesion behavior of human bone marrow stromal cells on differentially wettable polymer surfacesMoon Suk Kim
Medicinal Science Division, Korea Research Institute of Chemical Technology, Yuseong, Daejeon, Korea
Tissue Eng 13:2095-103. 2007..These results indicate that the biological signals induced by cell adhesion depend on the wettability of the surface to which the cells attach.
- Fibrinogen adsorption, platelet adhesion and activation on mixed hydroxyl-/methyl-terminated self-assembled monolayersSofia N Rodrigues
INEB Instituto de Engenharia Biomedica, Laboratorio de Biomateriais, Universidade do Porto, Rua do Campo Alegre, 823, 4150 180 Porto, Portugal
Biomaterials 27:5357-67. 2006The effect of surface wettability on fibrinogen adsorption, platelet adhesion and platelet activation was investigated using self-assembled monolayers (SAMs) containing different ratios of longer chain methyl- and shorter chain hydroxyl-..
- On the influence of flow conditions and wettability on blood material interactionsH T Spijker
Department of Biomedical Engineering and Cardiothoracic Surgery, University of Groningen, P O Box 196, 9700 AD Groningen, The Netherlands
Biomaterials 24:4717-27. 2003..that, next to biocompatibility, optimal blood compatibility depends on a combination of biomaterials wettability and the shear stress prevailing in the device...
- Surface roughness and wettability of enamel and dentine surfaces prepared with different dental bursW M Al-Omari
Jordan University of Science and Technology, Department of Restorative Dentistry, Irbid, Jordan
J Oral Rehabil 28:645-50. 2001..It is therefore suggested that the topography of the tooth surface may influence the wettability and the bonding quality of adhesive systems...
- Protein immobilization on epoxy-activated thin polymer films: effect of surface wettability and enzyme loadingBo Chen
NSF I UCRC for Biocatalysis and Bioprocessing of Macromolecules, Polytechnic Institute of New York University, 6 Metrotech Center, Brooklyn, New York 11201, USA
Langmuir 24:13457-64. 2008..Variation in comonomer composition allowed exploration of relationships between surface wettability and Candida antartica lipase B (CALB) binding to surfaces...
- Role of wettability and nanoroughness on interactions between osteoblast and modified silicon surfacesMiguel Padial-Molina
Oral Surgery and Implant Dentistry Department, School of Dentistry, University of Granada, Campus de Cartuja s n, 18071 Granada, Spain
Acta Biomater 7:771-8. 2011..A biomaterial's surface properties, such as wettability, roughness, surface energy, surface charge, chemical functionalities and composition, are determinants of cell ..
- Enhancement of wettability and dissolution properties of cilostazol using the supercritical antisolvent process: effect of various additivesMin Soo Kim
Center for Nanotechnology based New Drug Dosage Form, College of Pharmacy, Chungnam National University, 220 Gung Dong, Yuseong Gu, Daejeon 305 764, Republic of Korea
Chem Pharm Bull (Tokyo) 58:230-3. 2010The aim of this study was to improve wettability and dissolution rate of a poorly water-soluble drug, cilostazol, using the supercritical antisolvent (SAS) process...
- Experimental determination of the efficiency of nanostructuring on non-wetting legs of the water striderGregory S Watson
James Cook University, Townsville, QLD, Australia
Acta Biomater 6:4060-4. 2010..Atomic force microscopy-based force and adhesion measurements of single uncoated and coated seta interacting with water quantitatively demonstrate the efficiency of the topographical component of the setae for repelling water...
- Bioadhesion of various proteins on random, diblock and triblock copolymer surfaces and the effect of pH conditionsManuel L B Palacio
Nanoprobe Laboratory for Bio and Nanotechnology and Biomimetics, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
J R Soc Interface 8:630-40. 2011..This implies that biomaterial nanomorphology can be used to control protein-polymer interactions and potentially cell adhesion...
- Wettability, imbibition, and mass change of disinfected low-viscosity impression materialsXavier Lepe
Department of Restorative Dentistry, University of Washington, Seattle, Wash 98195 7456, USA
J Prosthet Dent 88:268-76. 2002..There is an ongoing effort by dental manufacturers to create impression materials with improved wetting properties. Disinfection solutions may alter the surface characteristics of these newer materials...
- Simple approach to micropattern cells on common culture substrates by tuning substrate wettabilityJohn L Tan
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland 21205 2196, USA
Tissue Eng 10:865-72. 2004..Using self-assembled monolayers of alkanethiols on gold as model surfaces to control surface wettability, we found that protein printing was most effective at intermediate to highly wetting surfaces whereas Pluronic ..
- The impact of lipid on contact angle wettabilityHolly Lorentz
Centre for Contact Lens Research, School of Optometry, University of Waterloo, Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
Optom Vis Sci 84:946-53. 2007To analyze the effect of in vitro lipid doping on conventional hydrogel (CH) and silicone hydrogel (SH) lens wettability, assessed by sessile drop contact angle (CA) measurement.
- Relationship between surface properties (roughness, wettability and morphology) of titanium and dental implant removal torqueCarlos Nelson Elias
Biomaterials Laboratory, Instituto Militar de Engenharia, Pr Gen Tiburcio 80, 22290 270 Rio de Janeiro, RJ, Brazil
J Mech Behav Biomed Mater 1:234-42. 2008....
- Engineered wettability in tree capillariesMika M Kohonen
Department of Applied Mathematics, Research School of Physical Sciences and Engineering, Australian National University, Canberra ACT 0200, Australia
Langmuir 22:3148-53. 2006..walls to achieve near complete wetting, a strategy analogous to that used in the natural engineering of the wettability of plant leaves and insect wings...
- In vitro water wettability of silicone hydrogel contact lenses determined using the sessile drop and captive bubble techniquesCarole Maldonado-Codina
Eurolens Research, Faculty of Life Sciences, The University of Manchester, Manchester, United Kingdom
J Biomed Mater Res A 83:496-502. 2007..Contact angle analysis of hydrogel lens surfaces is highly methodologically dependent and may be able to predict the clinical performance of contact lenses in vivo...
- Dynamic wettability properties of a soft contact lens hydrogelHoward A Ketelson
Alcon Laboratories Inc, Research and Development, Consumer Products, 6201 South Freeway, Fort Worth, TX 76134, USA
Colloids Surf B Biointerfaces 40:1-9. 2005The wettability of poly[2-hydroxyethyl methacrylate-co-methacrylic acid] (pHEMA-MAA) soft contact lenses was investigated in the absence and presence of block copolymer surfactants and lysozyme using the sessile drop method...
- Osteoblast adhesion on poly(L-lactic acid)/polystyrene demixed thin film blends: effect of nanotopography, surface chemistry, and wettabilityJung Yul Lim
Division of Musculoskeletal Sciences, Department of Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation, Center for Biomedical Devices and Functional Tissue Engineering, College of Medicine, Pennsylvania State University, Hershey, Pennsylvania 17033, USA
Biomacromolecules 6:3319-27. 2005..Our results reveal that cell adhesion is affected by surface chemistry, topography, and wettability simultaneously and that nanotextured surfaces may be utilized in regulating cell adhesion.
- Effects of plasma irradiation on the wettability and dissolution of compacts of griseofulvinA Naseem
Biomedical Materials Research Group, School of Pharmacy and Biomolecular Sciences, University of Brighton, Moulsecoomb, Brighton BN2 4GJ, UK
Int J Pharm 269:443-50. 2004..lead to the formation of oxygen containing functional groups on the surface of the compact thus increasing the wettability. Compacts containing 300 mg of the drug were prepared using a stainless steel punch and die assembly and plasma ..
- TOF-SIMS analysis of a 576 micropatterned copolymer array to reveal surface moieties that control wettabilityAndrew J Urquhart
School of Pharmacy, University of Nottingham, Nottingham, NG7 2RD, UK
Anal Chem 80:135-42. 2008..This in turn provided an insight into molecular structures that significantly influence wettability. This study demonstrates that multivariate analysis can be successfully applied to TOF-SIMS data from a large ..
- Recent developments in superhydrophobic surfaces and their relevance to marine fouling: a reviewJan Genzer
Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, North Carolina 27695, USA
Biofouling 22:339-60. 2006In this review, a brief synopsis of superhydrophobicity (i.e. extreme non-wettability) and its implications on marine fouling are presented...
- Wettability of silicone-hydrogel contact lenses in the presence of tear-film componentsLily Cheng
Department of Chemical Engineering, University of California, Berkeley, CA, USA
Curr Eye Res 28:93-108. 2004..Since lens wear exposes the anterior surface to tear proteins, lens wettability should be measured in the presence of tear-film components.
- Correlation of proliferation, morphology and biological responses of fibroblasts on LDPE with different surface wettabilitySoon Hee Kim
BK 21 Polymer BIN Fusion Research Team, Chonbuk National University, 664 14 Dukjin, Jeonju 561 756, South Korea
J Biomater Sci Polym Ed 18:609-22. 2007In order to find a correlation between cell adhesion, growth and biological response with different wettability, NIH/3T3 fibroblast cells were cultured on plasma-treated low-density polyethylene (LDPE) film generated with radio frequency...
- Contact angle determination of nanoparticles: film balance and scanning angle reflectometry studiesAndras Deak
Budapest University of Technology and Economics, Department of Physical Chemistry and Materials Science, H 1521, Budapest, Hungary
Phys Chem Chem Phys 9:6359-70. 2007..SAR is proved to be an effective tool for the estimation of contact angles on nanoparticles of different wettability, using a modified version of the previously published gradient layer model (E. Hild, T. Seszták, D...
- Effect of liquid-polish coating on in vitro biofilm accumulation on provisional restorations: Part 2Michael Perez Davidi
Department of Prosthodontics, Faculty of Dental Medicine, The Hebrew University Hadassah School of Dental Medicine, Jerusalem, Israel
Quintessence Int 39:45-9. 2008..The aim of the present study was to determine the mechanism through which these materials inhibit biofilm formation...
- A comparison of spreading behaviors of Silwet L-77 on dry and wet lotus leavesXiaolan Tang
College of Chemistry and Molecular Sciences, Wuhan University, Wuhan 430072, PR China
J Colloid Interface Sci 325:223-7. 2008..The spreading of Silwet L-77 aqueous drops on the wet lotus leaf surface is mainly controlled by the surface tension gradient along the air-liquid interface...
- Wetting transition on hydrophobic surfaces covered by polyelectrolyte brushesP Muller
Complex Fluids Laboratory, CNRS UMR 166, 350 George Patterson Boulevard, Bristol, Pennsylvania 19007, USA
Langmuir 24:9541-50. 2008....
- Effect of alcohol-water exchange and surface scanning on nanobubbles and the attraction between hydrophobic surfacesMarc A Hampton
Division of Chemical Engineering, School of Engineering, The University of Queensland, Brisbane, QLD 4072, Australia
J Colloid Interface Sci 325:267-74. 2008..The correlation between the rupture distance and bridge volume agreed with the available prediction...
- Effects of water content and initiator composition on photopolymerization of a model BisGMA/HEMA resinXinglin Guo
Department of Oral Biology, University of Missouri Kansas City, School of Dentistry, 650 E 25th Street, Kansas City, MO 64108, USA
Dent Mater 24:824-31. 2008..The purpose of this study was to evaluate the effects of photoinitiator type and water content on the polymerization rate (Rp) and degree of conversion (DC) of a model BisGMA/HEMA-based resin...
- A-B-A-B-A block amphiphiles. Balance between hydrophilic and hydrophobic segmentationFredric M Menger
Department of Chemistry, Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia 30322, USA
J Am Chem Soc 129:272-3. 2007
- Effects of rugged nanoprotrusions on the surface hydrophobicity and water adhesion of anisotropic micropatternsXuefeng Gao
Institute of Chemistry, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing 100080, PR China
Langmuir 23:4886-91. 2007....
- Molecular characterization of one-step self-etching adhesives placed on dentin and inert substrateMarianna Gaintantzopoulou
Department of Operative Dentistry, School of Dentistry, University of Athens, Greece
J Adhes Dent 10:83-93. 2008..To evaluate the phase separation, extent of dentin demineralization, and curing efficiency of one-step self-etching adhesives placed on dentin and on inert substrate...
- Wear of nano-TiO2/UHMWPE composites radiated by gamma ray under physiological saline water lubricationDangsheng Xiong
Department of Materials Science and Engineering, Nanjing University of Science and Technology, Nanjing 210094, PR China
J Mater Sci Mater Med 18:2131-5. 2007..The structure of the samples was determined by IR and XRD. The results showed that the wear rate of the composite UHMWPE decreased when filled with proper amount of nano-TiO(2) and with the radiation dose...
- Spreading of root canal irrigants on root dentineMakiko Iwanami
Pulp Biology and Endodontics, Department of Restorative Sciences, Graduate School, Tokyo Medical and Dental University, 5 45 Yushima 1 chome, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo 113 8549, Japan
Aust Endod J 33:66-72. 2007..05). It was concluded that the contact area ratio of Morhonine-NaOCl increased the most significantly among all the experimental groups...
- Sources and Wetting Characteristics of Respirable Coal and Silica Dust from SelecYOGINDER P CHUGH; Fiscal Year: 2012..S coal mines. Limited wettability studies of coal dust and quantification of respirable quartz at two mines (one in Illinois and one in Indiana) ..
- A user-friendly scalable microfluidic platform for enhanced neuron-cell cultureAnne Marion Taylor; Fiscal Year: 2013..molds, (3) developing methods to reduce evaporative losses that impair neuron viability, (4) increasing the wettability and biocompatibility of the device material through surface modification, and (5) covalently linking ..
- The Exploration of New Bio-Relevant Materials Using Surface-Initiated ROMP of LowWei Chen; Fiscal Year: 2007..The molecular weight of the polymers will be tuned by grafting time. Wettability and protein adsorption characteristics will be correlated to the molecular weight and the -OH group density ..
- SURFACE MODIFYING TO IMPROVE URINARY CATHETER FUNCTIONDAVID CLAPPER; Fiscal Year: 1990..commonly used types of urinary catheters (latex and silicone) will be coated with reagents that have improved wettability and reduced bacteria colonization when immobilized onto other polymers...
- PATHOGEN-PROTECTIVE COATINGS FOR MEDICAL FABRICSMelvin Swanson; Fiscal Year: 1993..The Phase I goals include synthesis of hydrophilic polymers designed to provide both wettability and antimicrobial activity...
- POLYMERS WITH STEP-WISE VARIABLE SURFACE COMPOSITIONRobert Ward; Fiscal Year: 2002..several surface-sensitive methods including Sum Frequency Generation Spectroscopy, XPS, AFM and surface tension/wettability. Each characterized series will be subjected to a battery of short-term in vitro biological tests including (..
- High Permeability, Long-Wear Contact Lens MaterialsSudipto Majumdar; Fiscal Year: 2002..Additionally, studies showed that the surface could be treated with a variety of techniques to improve wettability, another important feature...
- DEVELOPMENT OF A SOFT DENTURE LINER FOR PROLONGED USEDanny Lewis; Fiscal Year: 1980..extraoral methods, into a non-toxic, biocompatible soft denture liner having excellent strength, compliance, wettability, bondability, and resilience, both initially and after prolonged use, and offering resistance to staining, ..
- CYTOMIMETIC ORGANIC CHEMISTRYFREDRIC MENGER; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- Electrowetting Sample Prep for MALDI Mass SpectrometryAaron Wheeler; Fiscal Year: 2005..If successful, this will be a major advance over existing technologies, which do not have the capacity to combine high-throughput arrays with sample processing. ..
- RESIN-BASED REMINERALIZING CEMENTS AND COMPOSITESSABINE DICKENS; Fiscal Year: 2009..Completion of this research will lead to Ca- PO4 cements and composites with improved adhesion to dentin and improved strength for ART and the treatment of root caries. ..
- A Microfluidic Platform for Early Detection and Prognostication of CancerAaron Wheeler; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Fibrous Templates for Directed Nerve RegenerationJOSEPH COREY; Fiscal Year: 2008..It is hoped that this project will further knowledge of both the production of advanced fibrous scaffoldings and their potential to be harnessed as a tool for nerve regeneration. ..
- The Contact Lens and Dry Eye StudyJason Nichols; Fiscal Year: 2006..The long-term objective of this research is to contribute to a better understanding of the etiology and risk factors for contact lens-related dry eye so that progress can be made toward its prevention. ..
- IMPROVED PREVENTIVE/RESTORATIVE RESINS AND COMPOSITESSABINE DICKENS; Fiscal Year: 2006..The data gathered in these experiments will serve to support a larger R01 grant application with the long-term objectives of developing improved durable materials for adhesives and adhesive composites. [unreadable] [unreadable]..