- Frictional adhesion: A new angle on gecko attachment
Department of Biology, Lewis and Clark College, 0615 SW Palatine Hill Road, Portland, OR 97219, USA
J Exp Biol 209:3569-79. 2006
..The frictional adhesion model provides an explanation for the very low detachment forces observed in climbing geckos that does not depend on toe peeling...
- Mixed-mode failure strength of implant-cement interface specimens with varying surface roughness
Orthopaedic Research Laboratory, Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Centre, P O Box 9101, 6500 HB Nijmegen, The Netherlands
J Biomech 44:780-3. 2011
..The findings presented in this paper can be used in numerical models to simulate loosening at the implant-cement interface...
- Bond strengths of orthodontic bracket after acid-etched, Er:YAG laser-irradiated and combined treatment on enamel surface
Bor Shiunn Lee
Graduate Institute of Clinical Dentistry, College of Medicine, National Taiwan University, Taipei, Taiwan ROC
Angle Orthod 73:565-70. 2003
..Er:YAG laser ablation consumed less time compared with the acid-etching technique. Therefore, Er:YAG laser ablation can be an alternative tool to conventional acid etching...
- Mucoadhesive polymeric platforms for controlled drug delivery
Gavin P Andrews
School of Pharmacy, The Queen s University of Belfast, Belfast, Ireland
Eur J Pharm Biopharm 71:505-18. 2009
..Evolution of such mucoadhesive formulations has transgressed from first-generation charged hydrophilic polymer networks to more specific second-generation systems based on lectin, thiol and various other adhesive functional groups...
- Resolving the nanoscale adhesion of individual gecko spatulae by atomic force microscopy
Max Planck Institut für Metallforschung Heisenbergstrasse 3, D 70569 Stuttgart, Germany
Biol Lett 1:2-4. 2005
..This method sheds new light on the nanomechanisms of attachment and will help in the rational design of artificial attachment systems...
- Calcium oxalate crystal adherence to hyaluronan-, osteopontin-, and CD44-expressing injured/regenerating tubular epithelial cells in rat kidneys
Department of Urology, Erasmus Medical Center Rotterdam, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
J Am Soc Nephrol 14:3155-66. 2003
..In conclusion, the expression of HA, OPN, and CD44 by injured/regenerating tubular cells seems to play a role in retention of crystals in the rat kidney...
- The surface physicochemistry and adhesiveness of Shewanella are affected by their surface polysaccharides
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology and Advanced Foods and Materials Network Networks of Centres of Excellence, University of Guelph, Guelph, Ontario N1G 2W1, Canada
Microbiology 153:1872-83. 2007
..These findings remained true for Shewanella strains grown under either aerobic or anaerobic conditions, although the surfaces of anaerobic cells appeared to be less electronegative and more hydrophilic than those of aerobic cells...
- An in vitro comparison of the intraradicular dentin bond strength of Resilon and gutta-percha
Lance J Skidmore
Department of Endodontics, Marquette University, School of Dentistry, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53233, USA
J Endod 32:963-6. 2006
..The results show that the mean bond strength to root canal dentin was significantly higher (p < 0.05) in the Resilon/Epiphany group as compared to the gutta-percha/Kerr Pulp Canal Sealer EWT group...
- Evidence for self-cleaning in gecko setae
W R Hansen
Department of Physics and Biology, Lewis and Clark College, Portland, OR 97219, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 102:385-9. 2005
..We propose that the property of self-cleaning is intrinsic to the setal nanostructure and therefore should be replicable in synthetic adhesive materials in the future...
- AtaA, a new member of the trimeric autotransporter adhesins from Acinetobacter sp. Tol 5 mediating high adhesiveness to various abiotic surfaces
Department of Biotechnology, Graduate School of Engineering, Nagoya University, Furo cho, Chikusa ku, Japan
PLoS ONE 7:e48830. 2012
Acinetobacter sp. Tol 5 exhibits an autoagglutinating nature and noteworthy adhesiveness to various abiotic surfaces from hydrophobic plastics to hydrophilic glass and stainless steel...
- Thermosensitive and mucoadhesive in situ gel based on poloxamer as new carrier for rectal administration of nimesulide
Department of Pharmacy, Logistic University of Chinese People s Armed Police Forces, China
Int J Pharm 430:114-9. 2012
..In addition, it resulted in significantly higher initial serum concentrations, C(max) and AUC of NM compared to the solid suppository...
- Thermoreversible mucoadhesive ophthalmic in situ hydrogel: Design and optimization using a combination of polymers
Divyesh H Shastri
Department of Pharmaceutics, K B Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research, Gandhinagar, Gujarat 382023, India
Acta Pharm 60:349-60. 2010
..The quadratic mathematical model developed is applicable to predicting formulations with desired gelation temperature, gel strength, bioadhesion force and drug release properties...
- Evidence for van der Waals adhesion in gecko setae
Department of Biology, Lewis and Clark College, Portland, OR 97219, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 99:12252-6. 2002
..Both artificial setal tips stuck as predicted and provide a path to manufacturing the first dry, adhesive microstructures...
- Effect of different irrigation protocols on resin sealer bond strength to dentin
Department of Restorative Dentistry, Endodontics Division, State University of Campinas, Piracicaba, Sao Paulo, Brazil
J Endod 39:689-92. 2013
..The aim of this study was to evaluate the influence of different irrigation protocols on resin-based sealer bond strength to dentin and the associated failure pattern...
- A reversible wet/dry adhesive inspired by mussels and geckos
Biomedical Engineering Department, Northwestern University, Evanston, Illinois 60208, USA
Nature 448:338-41. 2007
..This hybrid adhesive, which combines the salient design elements of both gecko and mussel adhesives, should be useful for reversible attachment to a variety of surfaces in any environment...
- Analysis of resin tags formation in root canal dentine: a cross sectional study
Department of Restorative Dentistry and Periodontology, Ludwig Maximilians University, Munich, Germany
Int Endod J 43:47-56. 2010
..To evaluate the length, density and quality of resin tags formed by penetration of various types of adhesive systems into dentinal tubules at various cross section levels of the root canal in correlation to the density of dentinal tubules...
- Carbon nanotube arrays with strong shear binding-on and easy normal lifting-off
Department of Chemical and Materials Engineering, School of Engineering, University of Dayton, 300 College Park, Dayton, OH 45469, USA
Science 322:238-42. 2008
..The mimetic adhesives can be alternatively binding-on and lifting-off over various substrates for simulating the walking of a living gecko...
- Effect of stiffness of multi-level hierarchical attachment system on adhesion enhancement
Tae Wan Kim
Nanotribology Laboratory for Information Storage and MEMS NEMS, The Ohio State University, 201 W 19th Avenue, Columbus, OH 43210 1142, USA
Ultramicroscopy 107:902-12. 2007
..The efficiency of attachment-the adhesion coefficient, the adhesion force, the number of contacts and the adhesion energy-for the three-level models with different stiffness is investigated in contact with different rough surfaces...
- Adhesion and friction in gecko toe attachment and detachment
Department of Chemical Engineering and California NanoSystems Institute CNSI, University of California, Santa Barbara, CA 93106, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:19320-5. 2006
..The results have obvious implications for the fabrication of dry adhesives and robotic systems inspired by the gecko's locomotion mechanism...
- Changes in materials properties explain the effects of humidity on gecko adhesion
Jonathan B Puthoff
Department of Biology, Lewis and Clark College, Portland, OR 97219 7899, USA
J Exp Biol 213:3699-704. 2010
..Changes in setal materials properties, not capillary forces, fully explain humidity-enhanced adhesion, and van der Waals forces remain the only empirically supported mechanism of adhesion in geckos...
- The influence of nano MgO and BaSO4 particle size additives on properties of PMMA bone cement
Divisions of Engineering and Orthopaedics, 184 Hope Street, Brown University, Providence, RI 02912, USA
Int J Nanomedicine 3:125-32. 2008
..This study, thus, suggests that nanoparticles of MgO and BaSO4 should be further studied for improving properties of PMMA for orthopedic applications...
- Bond strength of composite to dentin using conventional, one-step, and self-etching adhesive systems
Department of Cariology, Endodontics and Pediatric Dentistry, School of Dental Medicine, University of Geneva, 19 Rue Barthélemy Menn 1205, Geneva, Switzerland
J Dent 29:55-61. 2001
..This in vitro study compared the dentin bonding performance of eight adhesive systems using a microtensile bond strength test...
- New insights into the properties of pubescent surfaces: peach fruit as a model
Genetics and Eco physiology Research Group, School of Forest Engineering, Technical University, 28040 Madrid, Spain
Plant Physiol 156:2098-108. 2011
..The significance of the data concerning water-plant surface interactions is discussed within a physiological context...
- Ultrastructure and physical properties of an adhesive surface, the toe pad epithelium of the tree frog, Litoria caerulea White
Department of Cellular Neurobionics, Institute of Biology 2, RWTH Aachen, Kopernikusstrasse 16, 52056 Aachen, Germany
J Exp Biol 212:155-62. 2009
..The biomimetic implications of these findings are reviewed...
- Evidence for capillarity contributions to gecko adhesion from single spatula nanomechanical measurements
Max Planck Institute for Metals Research, Heisenbergstrasse 3, D 70569 Stuttgart, Germany
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 102:16293-6. 2005
..Acad. Sci. USA 99, 12252-12256], our measurements clearly show that humidity contributes significantly to gecko adhesion on a nanoscopic level. These findings are crucial for the development of artificial biomimetic attachment systems...
- Systematic review of the chemical composition of contemporary dental adhesives
Kirsten L Van Landuyt
Leuven BIOMAT Research Cluster, Department of Conservative Dentistry, School of Dentistry, Oral Pathology and Maxillo Facial Surgery, Catholic University of Leuven, Kapucijnenvoer 7, B 3000 Leuven, Belgium
Biomaterials 28:3757-85. 2007
..This paper includes an extensive table with the chemical formulation of contemporary dental adhesives...
- Influence of surface roughness on gecko adhesion
Max Planck Institute for Metals Research, Heisenbergstrasse 3, 70569 Stuttgart, Germany
Acta Biomater 3:607-10. 2007
..Both experiments consistently show that the effective adhesion shows a minimum for a root mean square roughness ranging from 100 to 300nm...
- Push-out strength of root fillings with or without thermomechanical compaction
S M B S Carneiro
School of Dentistry, University of Ribeirao Preto, Ribeirao Preto, SP, Brasil
Int Endod J 45:821-8. 2012
..To evaluate the influence of thermomechanical compaction (Tagger's hybrid technique - THT) on the push-out strength of several root filling materials to root dentine...
- Evaluation of push-out bond strength of two endodontic post systems
Department of Endodontics, Division of Pathology and Therapeutics of Dental Tissues and Basic Dental Sciences, School of Dentistry, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Thessaloniki, Greece
J Endod 38:510-4. 2012
..The aim of this study was to evaluate the push-out bond strengths of a new polyfiber post system and a fiber post that were adhesively luted with a dual-cure resin cement...
- Evaluation of adhesiveness of Acinetobacter sp. Tol 5 to abiotic surfaces
Department of Biotechnology, Graduate School of Engineering, Nagoya University, Furo cho, Chikusa ku, Nagoya 464 8603, Japan
J Biosci Bioeng 113:719-25. 2012
..In the present study, various aspects of the adhesiveness of Tol 5 cells were evaluated, namely, the association with biofilm formation, the specificity, and the effects ..
- Interspecific comparison of the mechanical properties of mussel byssus
Shanna L Brazee
Department of Biological Sciences, University of Rhode Island, Kingston, Rhode Island 02881, USA
Biol Bull 211:263-74. 2006
..This comparative study not only provides insight into the ecological limitations and evolution of mussels, but also suggests new models for the design of novel biomimetic polymers...
- Inhibition of membrane-bound carbonic anhydrase enhances subretinal fluid absorption and retinal adhesiveness
T J Wolfensberger
Department of Ophthalmology, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, USA
Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol 238:76-80. 2000
..This study investigates how benzolamide, a carbonic anhydrase inhibitor which does not readily penetrate cell membranes, modulates retinal pigment epithelium functions relative to acetazolamide, which diffuses into the cytosol...
- A novel OCT technique to measure in vivo the corneal adhesiveness for sodium carboxymethylcellulose in humans and its validity in the diagnosis of dry eye
Pietro Emanuele Napoli
Department of Surgical Sciences, Eye Clinic, University of Cagliari, Cagliari, Italy
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 55:3179-85. 2014
- Configuration of the setal fields of Rhoptropus (Gekkota: Gekkonidae): functional, evolutionary, ecological and phylogenetic implications of observed pattern
Megan K Johnson
University of Calgary, Department of Biological Sciences, Canada
J Anat 214:937-55. 2009
..Our findings have implications for the understanding of the evolution of adhesive structures, and for the principles used for generating and manufacturing biomimetic artificial microfibrillar arrays...
- Adhesion and merging of lipid bilayers: a method for measuring the free energy of adhesion and hemifusion
Department of Physics and Astronomy, Rice University, Houston, Texas, USA
Biophys J 100:987-95. 2011
..This is relevant for current research on membrane fusion, which focuses on how fusion proteins induce lipid transformations...
- Subdigital setae of narrow-toed geckos, including a Eublepharid (Aeluroscalabotes felinus)
Anne M Peattie
University of California, Berkeley, Department of Integrative Biology, Berkeley, California, USA
Anat Rec (Hoboken) 291:869-75. 2008
- Thiomers: preparation and in vitro evaluation of a mucoadhesive nanoparticulate drug delivery system
Department of Pharmaceutical Technology, Institute of Pharmacy, Leopold Franzens University Innsbruck, Innrain 52, Josef Moller Haus, 6020 Innsbruck, Austria
Int J Pharm 317:76-81. 2006
..Therefore, they seem to be advantageous over ionically crosslinked chitosan nanoparticles...
- Comparison of neuronal cell adhesiveness of materials in the diX (Parylene) family
Yasuhiro X Kato
NTT Communication Science Laboratories, Nippon Telegraph and Telephone Corporation, 243 0198 Kanagawa, Japan
Neurosci Lett 464:26-8. 2009
..However, its uses are limited due to its extremely low adhesiveness with neuronal cells...
- Effect of thermal cycling on enamel bond strength of single-step self-etch systems
Nihon University, School of Dentistry, Department of Operative Dentistry, Tokyo, Japan
Oper Dent 31:616-22. 2006
..With a careful choice of adhesive systems, the benefit to using single-step self-etch systems in terms of simplifying the clinical procedure might be acceptable, even after thermal stresses...
- Effective elastic modulus of isolated gecko setal arrays
Department of Biology, Lewis and Clark College, Portland, OR 97219, USA
J Exp Biol 209:3558-68. 2006
..Unlike synthetic PSAs, setal arrays act as Hookean elastic solids; setal arrays function as a bed of springs with a directional stiffness, assisting alignment of the adhesive spatular tips with the contact surface during shear loading...
- Nanostructure-dependent water-droplet adhesiveness change in superhydrophobic anodic aluminum oxide surfaces: from highly adhesive to self-cleanable
Department of Biomedical Engineering, College of Health Science, Korea University San 1, Jeongneung 3 dong, Seongbuk gu, Seoul 136 703, Korea
Langmuir 26:1412-5. 2010
Water-droplet adhesiveness was freely controlled on a single platform of superhydrophobic anodized aluminum oxide (AAO) within the range from highly adhesive to self-cleanable...
- Shear induced adhesion: contact mechanics of biological spatula-like attachment devices
Donetsk Institute for Physics and Engineering, National Academy of Science, Ukraine
J Theor Biol 276:126-31. 2011
..At such equilibrium, maximal adhesion can be generated. This principle manifests the crucial role of spatulate terminal elements in biological fibrillar adhesion...
- Adhesiveness and purulence of respiratory secretions: implications for mucociliary transport in patients with bronchiectasis
Lucy Montoro Rehabilitation Institute, University of São Paulo at Ribeirão Preto School of Medicine, Ribeirao Preto, Brazil
J Bras Pneumol 36:545-53. 2010
..To analyze and compare the transport properties of respiratory secretions, classified by selected parameters, in individuals with bronchiectasis unrelated to cystic fibrosis...
- Adhesion and friction force coupling of gecko setal arrays: implications for structured adhesive surfaces
Department of Chemical Engineering and Materials Research Laboratory, University of California at Santa Barbara, Santa Barbara, CA 93106, USA
Langmuir 24:1517-24. 2008
..Our results also have practical implications and criteria for designing reversible and responsive adhesives and articulated robotic mechanisms...
- Increase in cell adhesiveness on a poly(ethylene terephthalate) fabric by sintered hydroxyapatite nanocrystal coating in the development of an artificial blood vessel
Department of Bioengineering, Advanced Medical Engineering Center, National Cardiovascular Center Research Institute, Osaka, Japan
ASAIO J 52:315-20. 2006
..A prototype of an artificial blood vessel was finally fabricated by use of HAp/PET composite...
- Bonding of stainless steel brackets to enamel with a new self-etching primer
Ryan W Arnold
Department of Oral Sciences, School of Dentistry, University of Minnesota, 515 Delaware Street SE, Minneapolis, MN 55455, USA
Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 122:274-6. 2002
..05). Under the conditions of these experiments, a 10-minute delay in bonding after application of the self-etching primer might not be deleterious to adhesion...
- Liposome coated with low molecular weight chitosan and its potential use in ocular drug delivery
School of Pharmacy, Shenyang Pharmaceutical University, Shenyang 110016, PR China
Int J Pharm 379:131-8. 2009
..In conclusion, the LCH coating significantly modified the properties of liposome and brought a series of notable advantages for ocular drug delivery...
- Rheological characterisation of primary and binary interactive bioadhesive gels composed of cellulose derivatives designed as ophthalmic viscosurgical devices
Gavin P Andrews
Medical Polymers Research Institute, The Queen s University of Belfast, Medical Biology Centre, 97, Lisburn Road, Belfast, BT9 7BL, Northern Ireland, UK
Biomaterials 26:571-80. 2005
..Based on the described rheological properties it is suggested that binary gels composed of mass ratios of HEC to NaCMC of either 3.6: 2.4 or 2.4: 3.6 would be acceptable as OVD and would uniquely offer duality of function...
- Shear bond strength of self-etch adhesives to enamel with additional phosphoric acid etching
Anne Katrin Lührs
Department of Conservative Dentistry, Periodontology and Preventive Dentistry, Hannover Medical School, Hannover, Germany
Oper Dent 33:155-62. 2008
..An additional phosphoric acid etching of enamel should be considered when using self-etch adhesives. More clinical studies are needed to evaluate the long-term success of the examined adhesives...
- Synthesis and characterisation of mucoadhesive thiolated polymers
Institute of Pharmaceutical Technology, Center of Pharmacy, University of Vienna, Althanstrasse 14, A 1090, Vienna, Austria
Int J Pharm 194:239-47. 2000
..The results represent helpful basic information in order to improve the mucoadhesive properties of thiolated polymers...
- Effectiveness of submicron-sized, chitosan-coated liposomes in oral administration of peptide drugs
Gifu Pharmaceutical University, 5 6 1 Mitahora Higashi, Gifu 502 8585, Japan
Int J Pharm 303:160-70. 2005
..The chitosan-coated ssLip, with their higher retentive property in the intestinal tract, are much more effective than ssLip and CS-Lip in improving the enteral absorption of peptide drugs...
- Novel mucoadhesion tests for polymers and polymer-coated particles to design optimal mucoadhesive drug delivery systems
Laboratory of Pharmaceutical Engineering, Gifu Pharmaceutical University, Japan 5 6 1 Mitahora Higashi Gifu, 502 8585, Japan
Adv Drug Deliv Rev 57:1583-94. 2005
..These observations explained well the superiority of the ssCS-Lip as drug carrier in oral administration of calcitonin in rats than other liposomal particles...
- Thiolated polymers--thiomers: development and in vitro evaluation of chitosan-thioglycolic acid conjugates
C E Kast
Institute of Pharmaceutical Technology and Biopharmaceutics, Center of Pharmacy, University of Vienna, Austria
Biomaterials 22:2345-52. 2001
..According to these results. chitosan-TGA conjugates represent a promising tool for the development of mucoadhesive drug delivery systems...
- Understanding marine mussel adhesion
Heather G Silverman
Biological Systems Department, Idaho National Laboratory, Idaho Falls, Idaho 83415, USA
Mar Biotechnol (NY) 9:661-81. 2007
..This study provides a background on adhesive proteins identified in the blue mussel, Mytilus edulis, and introduces our research interests and discusses the future for continued research related to mussel adhesion...
- A beetle-inspired solution for underwater adhesion
Department of Thin Films and Biological Systems, Max Planck Institute for Metals Research, Heisenbergstrasse 3, Stuttgart 70569, Germany
J R Soc Interface 5:383-5. 2008
..This results in a higher adhesive capability of the material, with potential in medicine, bio- and marine technologies and a range of applications in liquid-dominated environments...
- Overexpression of the Candida albicans ALA1 gene in Saccharomyces cerevisiae results in aggregation following attachment of yeast cells to extracellular matrix proteins, adherence properties similar to those of Candida albicans
N K Gaur
Department of Research, Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Kansas City, Missouri 64128, USA
Infect Immun 67:6040-7. 1999
..The similarities in the adherence and aggregation properties of C. albicans and S. cerevisiae overexpressing ALA1 suggest a role in adherence and aggregation for ALA1 and ALA1-like genes in C. albicans...
- The role of granules within viscous capture threads of orb-weaving spiders
B D Opell
Department of Biological Sciences, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Blacksburg, Virginia 24061, USA
J Exp Biol 213:339-46. 2010
- Formulation and evaluation of oral mucoadhesive multiparticulate system containing metoprolol tartarate: an in vitro-ex vivo characterization
R C Patel College of Pharmacy, Shirpur, State, Maharashtra, India
Curr Drug Deliv 6:113-21. 2009
..57 to 0.73. The stability studies performed on the optimized batches at 40 degrees C /75% RH for 90 days indicated no significant change in the physicochemical properties...
- Adhesion of echinoderm tube feet to rough surfaces
Académie Universitaire Wallonie Bruxelles, Universite de Mons Hainaut, Laboratoire de Biologie Marine, 6 Avenue du Champ de Mars, B 7000 Mons, Belgium
J Exp Biol 208:2555-67. 2005
..Under short pulses of wave-generated forces, attached discs probably behave elastically, distributing the stress along the entire contact area, in order to avoid crack generation and thus precluding disc peeling and tube foot detachment...
- Cross-linking the protein precursor of marine mussel adhesives: bulk measurements and reagents for curing
Department of Chemistry, Purdue University, 560 Oval Drive, West Lafayette, Indiana 47907, USA
Langmuir 20:3724-9. 2004
..The results show that optimal curing occurs when the reagent is an oxidizing metal ion (e.g., MnO4-, Fe3+). We conclude that marine mussels are likely to employ Mn3+ and Fe3+ for protein cross-linking and adhesive synthesis...
- A microshear test to measure bond strengths of dentin-polymer interfaces
Walter G McDonough
Polymers Division, National Institute of Standards and Technology, Gaithersburg, MD 20899, USA
Biomaterials 23:3603-8. 2002
- Single-molecule mechanics of mussel adhesion
Department of Biomedical Engineering and Materials Science and Engineering, Northwestern University, 2145 Sheridan Road, Evanston, IL 60208, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:12999-3003. 2006
- Barnacle reattachment: a tool for studying barnacle adhesion
Duke University Marine Laboratory, Beaufort, North Carolina, USA
Biofouling 24:1-9. 2008
..The method enables down-selection of coatings from combinatorial approaches to manageable levels for definitive field testing. Reattachment can be used with coatings that combine antifouling and fouling-release technologies...
- Contact angle anomalies indicate that surface-active eluates from silicone coatings inhibit the adhesive mechanisms of fouling organisms
Industry University Center for Biosurfaces, University at Buffalo, Buffalo, New York 14214, USA
Biofouling 22:411-23. 2006
..Swelling of the silicone elastomeric coatings by hydrocarbon fluids was observed for all four coatings, before and after immersion...
- Linking adhesive and structural proteins in the attachment plaque of Mytilus californianus
Department of Molecular, Cellular and Developmental Biology, Marine Science Institute, University of California, Santa Barbara, California 93106, USA
J Biol Chem 281:26150-8. 2006
..5-S-Cysteinyldopa was detected at nearly 1 mol %. The results suggest that mcfp-6 may provide a cohesive link between the surface-coupling Dopa-rich proteins and the bulk of the plaque proteins...
- Erythrocyte adhesiveness/aggregation: a novel biomarker for the detection of low-grade internal inflammation in individuals with atherothrombotic risk factors and proven vascular disease
Department of Internal Medicine D, Tel Aviv Sourasky Medical Center, Tel Aviv, Israel
Am Heart J 149:260-7. 2005
- Thermal gelation and tissue adhesion of biomimetic hydrogels
Sean A Burke
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Northwestern University, Evanston, IL 60208, USA
Biomed Mater 2:203-10. 2007
..1 kPa, SD = 12.5 kPa, n = 11) was several times stronger than a fibrin glue control tested under the same conditions. The results suggest a possible use of this biomimetic strategy for repair of soft tissues...
- Viscoelastic solids explain spider web stickiness
Department of Polymer Science, Integrated Bioscience Program, The University of Akron, Akron, OH 44325 3909, USA
Nat Commun 1:19. 2010
..The glycoproteins in the glue droplets behave as a viscoelastic solid and the elasticity is critical in enhancing adhesion caused by specific adhesive ligands. These results have important implications in mimicking bioadhesives...
- Strong reversible Fe3+-mediated bridging between dopa-containing protein films in water
Department of Chemical and Materials Engineering, University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB, T6G 2V4 Canada
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107:12850-3. 2010
..The results suggest that dopa-metal interactions may provide an energetic new paradigm for engineering strong, self-healing interactions between polymers under water...
- The correlation between the adsorption of adhesive proteins and cell behaviour on hydroxyl-methyl mixed self-assembled monolayers
Cristina C Barrias
INEB Instituto de Engenharia Biomedica, Divisão de Biomateriais, Universidade do Porto, R Campo Alegre 823, 4150 180 Porto, Portugal
Biomaterials 30:307-16. 2009
- Tensile bond strength of different adhesive systems between bone and composite compared: an in vitro study
Department of Oral and Plastic Maxillofacial Surgery, Martin Luther University, Halle Wittenberg, Germany
J Craniomaxillofac Surg 32:85-9. 2004
..The aim was to compare tensile bond strength of three dentine adhesive systems (Excite, Clearfil New Bond, Etch & Prime 3.0) and two cyanoacrylate adhesives (Cyano Veneer, Histoacryl) to animal bone in vitro...
- Adhesion mechanisms of the mussel foot proteins mfp-1 and mfp-3
Department of Chemical Engineering, Graduate Program in Biomolecular Science and Engineering, University of California Santa Barbara, Santa Barbara, CA 93106, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:3782-6. 2007
..g., their inability to be peeled off) rather than a high intrinsic surface or adhesion energy, W...
- [Application of an amphiphilic bonder in a goat model to increase the femoral cement-bone adhesion in cemented hip arthroplasty]
Orthopadische Klinik, RWTH Aachen
Z Orthop Unfall 145:476-82. 2007
..The aim of this study is to evaluate the biocompatibility of such a bonder and its effects on the mechanical stability of cemented hip arthroplasty stems in vivo...
- Characterisation of bioadhesives for periodontal and oral mucosal drug delivery
I G Needleman
Department of Periodontology, Eastman Dental Institute, London, UK
J Clin Periodontol 25:74-82. 1998
..Physical characterisation therefore appears to have an important place in screening polymeric formulations prior to clinical testing in the periodontal pocket and oral mucosa...
- Properties of a new injectable type of root canal filling resin with adhesiveness to dentin
Institute of Biomaterials and Bioengineering, Tokyo Medical and Dental University, Japan
J Endod 29:20-3. 2003
..type of root canal wall, adhesive filling resin, which we developed, were studied for its physical properties, adhesiveness to dentin and the root canal, and sealing ability...
- Integrative cartilage repair: adhesive strength is correlated with collagen deposition
M A DiMicco
Department of Bioengineering and Institute for Biomedical Engineering, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla 92093-0412, USA
J Orthop Res 19:1105-12. 2001
- Environmental bioadhesion: themes and applications
L O Burzio
Instituto de Bioquimica, Facultad de Ciencias, Universidad Austral de Chile, Valdivia
Curr Opin Biotechnol 8:309-12. 1997
..The use of these adhesive proteins as anticorrosive coats for metal also suggests important applications for industry...
- A glycosylated byssal precursor protein from the green mussel Perna viridis with modified dopa side-chains
Institute of High Polymer Research, Faculty of Textile Science and Technology Shinshu University Tokida 3 15 1 Ueda 386 8567 Japan
Biofouling 20:101-15. 2004
..The sequence homology of Pvfp-1 with the common structural motifs of the fp-1 protein family strongly suggests that the Pvfp-1 functions as the byssal coating (lacquer) protein...
- A molecular, morphometric and mechanical comparison of the structural elements of byssus from Mytilus edulis and Mytilus galloprovincialis
Jared M Lucas
Marine Science Institute and Molecular, Cellular and Developmental, Biology Department, University of California at Santa Barbara, Santa Barbara, CA 93106, USA
J Exp Biol 205:1807-17. 2002
..It is apparent from this comparison that M. galloprovincialis and M. edulis are seemingly interchangeable models for byssal research...
- A new long acting ophthalmic formulation of carteolol containing alginic acid
Centre de Recherche, Laboratorie CHAUVIN, Le Millénaire B P 1174 34009 Cedex 1, Montpellier, France
Int J Pharm 207:109-16. 2000
..The overall results of this study indicate that the alginic-acid vehicle is an excellent drug carrier, well tolerated, and could be used for the development of a long-acting ophthalmic formulation of carteolol...
- van der Waals and hygroscopic forces of adhesion generated by spider capture threads
Anya C Hawthorn
College of Veterinary Medicine, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA 24061, USA
J Exp Biol 206:3905-11. 2003
..The appearance of fibril nodes introduced hydrophilic sites that implemented hygroscopic force and increased thread stickiness under intermediate and high humidity...
- Soybean glycinin subunits: Characterization of physicochemical and adhesion properties
Bio Material and Technology Lab, BIVAP, Department of Grain Science and Industry, Kansas State University, Manhattan, Kansas 66506, USA
J Agric Food Chem 54:7589-93. 2006
..Basic subunits are responsible for the water resistance of glycinin and are a good starting material for the development of water-resistant adhesives...
- Mussel byssus and biomolecular materials
T J Deming
Departments of Materials and Chemistry, University of California, SantaBarbara, CA 93106, USA
Curr Opin Chem Biol 3:100-5. 1999
..These discoveries have led to the development of recombinant proteins and synthetic polypeptides that are able to reproduce the properties of mussel adhesives for applications in medicine and biotechnology...
- Integrative biology of sticky feet in geckos
Eric R Pianka
Integrative Biology C0930, University of Texas, Austin, TX 78712 1064, USA
Bioessays 27:647-52. 2005
..Emergent properties arising from molecular adhesion include several adaptive radiations that have produced a great diversity of geckos worldwide...
- Comparative in vitro study of oesophageal adhesiveness of different commercial formulations containing alendronate
Laboratoire de Physicochimie, Pharmacotechnie et Biopharmacie, UMR CNRS 8612, Universite Paris Sud, Chatenay Malabry, France
Eur J Pharm Sci 31:262-70. 2007
..The demonstrated differences in adhesiveness suggest that differences in oesophageal tolerance between Fosamax tablets and generics of sodium alendronate ..
- Resistance to degradation of resin-dentin bonds using a one-step HEMA-free adhesive
Department of Dental Materials, School of Dentistry, University of Granada, Spain
J Dent 35:181-6. 2007
..To evaluate the resistance to degradation of resin-dentin bonds formed with a one-step acetone-containing and HEMA-free adhesive...
- Step-cure polymerization: effect of initial light intensity on resin/dentin bond strength in class I cavities
Alex Jose Souza Santos
Potiguar School of Dentistry, Potiguar University UnP, RN, Brazil
Oper Dent 31:324-31. 2006
..05). The use of a low initial light intensity (200-250 mW/cm2) for 10 seconds followed by high irradiation intensity provided the best bond strengths, similar to bonding in a flat cavity...
- Fractured surface characterization: wet versus dry bonding
Department of Pediatric Dentistry, School of Dentistry, Hokkaido University, North 13, West 17, Kita ku, Sapporo 060 8586, Hokkaido, Japan
Dent Mater 18:95-102. 2002
..Fractographic analysis was conducted to evaluate the resin-dentin bond structures made under wet and dry conditions...
- Effects of cleaning agents on bond strength to dentin
Department of Restorative Dentistry, School of Dentistry, University of Sao Paulo
Braz Oral Res 19:127-33. 2005
..Based on statistical and SEM analysis, it was concluded that the cleaning agents studied did not interfere with the bond strength of the adhesive systems used to dentin...
- Microtensile bond strength tests: scanning electron microscopy evaluation of sample integrity before testing
Department of Dental Materials, University of Sienna, Sienna, Italy
Eur J Oral Sci 110:385-91. 2002
..It seems sensible to develop a method for a quantitative assessment of specimens integrity before loading as a possible predictor for their performance under load...
- Bond durability of the resin-bonded and silane treated ceramic surface
Department of Restorative Dentistry, School of Clinical Dentistry, University of Sheffield, Claremont Crescent, Sheffield S10 2TA, UK
Dent Mater 18:179-88. 2002
- The effects of luting resin bond to dentin on the strength of dentin supported by indirect resin composite
Cariology and Operative Dentistry, Department of Restorative Sciences, Graduate School, Tokyo Medical and Dental University, 5 45 Yushima 1 chome, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo 113 8549, Japan
Dent Mater 18:136-42. 2002
..The purpose of this study was to evaluate the effects of thickness and adhesion of three resin cements on the fracture resistance of indirect resin composite bonded to dentin...
- Effect of different bur grinding on the bond strength of self-etching adhesives
Department of Prosthodontics, School of Dentistry, University of Milan, Milan, Italy
Oper Dent 31:317-23. 2006
..In conclusion, when cutting dentin, selecting the proper bur type is important for improving the bond strength of some self-etching adhesive systems...
- Effect of dentinal surface preparation on bond strength of self-etching adhesives
Cynthia K Y Yiu
Faculty of Dentistry, The University of Hong Kong, Prince Philip Dental Hospital, 34 Hospital Road, Hong Kong SAR, China
J Adhes Dent 10:173-82. 2008
..This study examined the effects of cutting dentin with different burs at various speeds on the microtensile bond strength (muTBS) of two self-etching adhesive systems...
- The microtensile bond strength of self-etching adhesives to ground enamel
William W Brackett
Department of Oral Rehabilitation, School of Dentistry, Medical College of Georgia, Augusta, GA, USA
Oper Dent 31:332-7. 2006
- Comparison of bond strengths using different curing lights
Scott M Peterson
Department of Orthodontics, College of Dentistry, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
J Clin Orthod 40:309-13; quiz 307. 2006
- Four-year water degradation of a total-etch and two self-etching adhesives bonded to dentin
Ali I Abdalla
Department of Restorative Dentistry, Faculty of Dentistry, University of Tanta, Tanta, Egypt
J Dent 36:611-7. 2008
..To evaluate effect of direct and indirect water storage on the microtensile dentin bond strength of one total-etch and two self-etching adhesives...
- Influence of additional adhesive application on the microtensile bond strength of adhesive systems
André Luís Faria de Silva
Department of Restorative Dentistry, Piracicaba School of Dentistry, University of Campinas, Piracicaba, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Oper Dent 31:562-8. 2006
..G6 and G7 presented the lowest microTBS values. When solvent-free adhesives systems were used, microTBS values were not affected by the thicker layer...
- Influence of airborne-particle abrasion on mechanical properties and bond strength of carbon/epoxy and glass/bis-GMA fiber-reinforced resin posts
Carlos Jose Soares
Biomechanical Group, Dentistry and Dental Materials School of Dentistry, Federal University of Uberlandia, Uberlandia, Minas Gerais, Brazil
J Prosthet Dent 99:444-54. 2008
..Controversy exists concerning the use of fiber-reinforced posts to improve bond strength to resin cement because some precementation treatments can compromise the mechanical properties of the posts...
- Dentin bonding on different walls of a class II preparation
Andrea Nobrega Cavalcanti
Department of Restorative Dentistry, Piracicaba Dental School, UNICAMP, Av Limeira 901, 13 414 900, Piracicaba, SP, Brazil
J Adhes Dent 10:17-23. 2008
..To evaluate the bond strength on different cavity walls of Class II preparations. Different bonding systems and the effect of thermomechanical cycling were investigated...
- Shear bond strength between nickel-chromium and human dentine using a dual-cure, self-adhesive universal resin luting agent
Prince Philip Dental Hospital, Hong Kong
Eur J Prosthodont Restor Dent 16:85-8. 2008
..Given the simplicity of use of the dual-cure, self-adhesive universal resin luting agent, it appears to be promising in clinical applications...