Genomes and Genes
Summary: Peroxidase catalyzed oxidation of lipids using hydrogen peroxide as an electron acceptor.
Publications283 found, 100 shown here
- Action of phenolic derivatives (acetaminophen, salicylate, and 5-aminosalicylate) as inhibitors of membrane lipid peroxidation and as peroxyl radical scavengersT C Dinis
Laboratorio de Bioquimica, Faculdade de Farmacia, Universidade de Coimbra, Portugal
Arch Biochem Biophys 315:161-9. 1994..The action of the phenolic compounds acetaminophen, salicylate, and 5-aminosalicylate (5-ASA) as inhibitors of lipid peroxidation was studied under conditions suitable for establishing their antioxidant potencies...
- Hepatotoxicity and mechanism of action of haloalkanes: carbon tetrachloride as a toxicological modelLutz W D Weber
Institute of Toxicology, GSF National Research Center for Environment and Health, Munich, P O Box 1129, D 85758 Neuherberg FRG
Crit Rev Toxicol 33:105-36. 2003..CCl3OO* initiates the chain reaction of lipid peroxidation, which attacks and destroys polyunsaturated fatty acids, in particular those associated with phospholipids...
- Lipid peroxidation and neurodegenerative diseaseTanea T Reed
Department of Chemistry, Eastern Kentucky University, Richmond, KY 40475, USA
Free Radic Biol Med 51:1302-19. 2011b>Lipid peroxidation is a complex process involving the interaction of oxygen-derived free radicals with polyunsaturated fatty acids, resulting in a variety of highly reactive electrophilic aldehydes...
- Free radicals and antioxidants in human health: current status and future prospectsT P A Devasagayam
Radiation Biology and Health Sciences Division, Bhabha Atomic Research Centre, Mumbai 400 085
J Assoc Physicians India 52:794-804. 2004..Lipids are highly prone to free radical damage resulting in lipid peroxidation that can lead to adverse alterations. Free radical damage to protein can result in loss of enzyme activity...
- Mitochondria in homeostasis of reactive oxygen species in cell, tissues, and organismPetr Jezek
Department of Membrane Transport Biophysics, No 75, Institute of Physiology, Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic, Videnska 1083, CZ 14220 Prague, Czech Republic
Int J Biochem Cell Biol 37:2478-503. 2005....
- Resveratrol protects rats from Aβ-induced neurotoxicity by the reduction of iNOS expression and lipid peroxidationTai Chun Huang
Department of Biochemical Science and Biotechnology, National Chia Yi University, Chia Yi, Taiwan
PLoS ONE 6:e29102. 2011..result in a significant impairment in spatial memory, a marked increase in the cellular level of iNOS and lipid peroxidation, and an apparent decrease in the expression of heme oxygenase-1 (HO-1)...
- α-Tocopherol suppresses lipid peroxidation and behavioral and cognitive impairments in the Ts65Dn mouse model of Down syndromeMototada Shichiri
Health Research Institute, National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology, Ikeda, Osaka 563 8577, Japan
Free Radic Biol Med 50:1801-11. 2011..Supplementation with α-tocopherol decreased levels of lipid peroxidation products in Ts65Dn mice...
- Life and death: metabolic rate, membrane composition, and life span of animalsA J Hulbert
Metabolic Research Centre, Institute for Conservation Biology, School of Biological Sciences, University of Wollongong, Wollongong, New South Wales, Australia
Physiol Rev 87:1175-213. 2007..When combined with the fact that 1) the products of lipid peroxidation are powerful reactive molecular species, and 2) that fatty acids differ dramatically in their susceptibility ..
- Lipid hydroperoxide generation, turnover, and effector action in biological systemsA W Girotti
Department of Biochemistry, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee 53226 4801, USA
J Lipid Res 39:1529-42. 1998b>Lipid peroxidation is a well known example of oxidative damage in cell membranes, lipoproteins, and other lipid-containing structures...
- Protective effects of vitamin c against cisplatin-induced nephrotoxicity and lipid peroxidation in adult rats: a dose-dependent studyL M Antunes
Departamento de Analises Clinicas, Toxicologicas e Bromatologicas, Faculdade de Ciencias Farmaceuticas de Ribeirao Preto, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Av. Cafe s/n, Ribeirao Preto, Sao Paulo, 14040-903, Brasil
Pharmacol Res 41:405-11. 2000..using single doses of both compounds. Cisplatin administration induced lipid peroxidation which was accompanied by a decrease in renal glutathione level in animals killed 7 days after treatments...
- Contribution of impaired Nrf2-Keap1 pathway to oxidative stress and inflammation in chronic renal failureHyun Ju Kim
Division of Nephrology and Hypertension, University of California, Irvine, California, USA
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 298:F662-71. 2010..In confirmation of earlier studies, rats with chronic renal failure exhibited increased lipid peroxidation, glutathione depletion, NF-kappaB activation, mononuclear cell infiltration, and upregulation of monocyte ..
- Plasma total antioxidant capacity, lipid peroxidation, and erythrocyte antioxidant enzyme activities in patients with rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritisSezgin Sarban
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Harran University, Medical Faculty, 63200 Sanliurfa, Turkey
Clin Biochem 38:981-6. 2005..The aim of the present study was to investigate the total antioxidant capacity (TAC), levels of lipid peroxidation (LPO), and antioxidant enzyme activities in patients with rheumatoid arthritis (RA) and osteoarthritis (OA).
- Increased oxidative stress in obesity and its impact on metabolic syndromeShigetada Furukawa
Department of Medicine and Pathophysiology, Graduate School of Medicine, Department of Organismal Biosystems, Graduate School of Frontier Biosciences, Osaka University, 2 2 Yamadaoka, Suita, Osaka 565 0871, Japan
J Clin Invest 114:1752-61. 2004....
- Disparate patterns of age-related changes in lipid peroxidation in long-lived naked mole-rats and shorter-lived miceBlazej Andziak
Department of Biology, The City College of the City University of New York, New York, NY 10031, USA
Aging Cell 5:525-32. 2006..We compared age-related profiles of whole-organism lipid peroxidation (urinary isoprostanes) and liver lipid damage (malondialdehyde) in long living naked mole-rats [maximum ..
- A high-fat diet impairs neurogenesis: involvement of lipid peroxidation and brain-derived neurotrophic factorHee Ra Park
Department of Pharmacy, College of Pharmacy and Research Institute for Drug Development, Longevity Life Science and Technology Institutes, Pusan National University, Geumjeong Gu, Busan 609 735, Republic of Korea
Neurosci Lett 482:235-9. 2010..MDA reduced the growth of NPCs, but BDNF treatment restored NPCs proliferation. The present data indicate that a HFD impairs hippocampal neurogenesis and NPCs proliferation through increased lipid peroxidation and decreased BDNF.
- Proanthocyanidins produce significant attenuation of doxorubicin-induced mutagenicity via suppression of oxidative stressSabry M Attia
Department of Pharmacology, College of Pharmacy, King Saud University, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Oxid Med Cell Longev 3:404-13. 2010..Prior administration of proanthocyanidins ahead of doxorubicin reduced the doxorubicin induced testicular lipid peroxidation and prevented the reduction in testicular non-protein sulfhydryl significantly...
- Pathological aspects of lipid peroxidationAnne Negre-Salvayre
INSERM I2MR 858, IFR 150, Avenue J Poulhès, BP 84225, Toulouse, France
Free Radic Res 44:1125-71. 2010b>Lipid peroxidation (LPO) product accumulation in human tissues is a major cause of tissular and cellular dysfunction that plays a major role in ageing and most age-related and oxidative stress-related diseases...
- Involvements of the lipid peroxidation product, HNE, in the pathogenesis and progression of Alzheimer's diseaseD Allan Butterfield
Department of Chemistry, Center of Membrane Sciences, Sanders Brown Center on Aging, University of Kentucky, Lexington KY 40506 0055, USA
Biochim Biophys Acta 1801:924-9. 2010..Increased levels of oxidative stress markers including the markers of lipid peroxidation such as acrolein, 4-hydroxy-2-trans-nonenal (HNE), malondialdehyde, etc. are found in brains of AD subjects...
- Lipid peroxidation of membrane phospholipids generates hydroxy-alkenals and oxidized phospholipids active in physiological and/or pathological conditionsAngel Catala
Instituto de Investigaciones Fisicoquímicas Teóricas y Aplicadas INIFTA CCT La Plata CONICET, Facultad de Ciencias Exactas, Universidad Nacional de La Plata, CC 16, Sucursal 4, 1900 La Plata, Argentina
Chem Phys Lipids 157:1-11. 2009..b>Lipid peroxidation, which leads to lipid hydroperoxide formation often, occurs in response to oxidative stress...
- Redox proteomic identification of 4-hydroxy-2-nonenal-modified brain proteins in amnestic mild cognitive impairment: insight into the role of lipid peroxidation in the progression and pathogenesis of Alzheimer's diseaseTanea Reed
Department of Chemistry, University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY 40506 0055, USA
Neurobiol Dis 30:107-20. 2008..Accumulated evidence indicates that lipid peroxidation is an early event during the evolution of the disease and occurs in patients with mild cognitive impairment (..
- Lipid peroxidation: physiological levels and dual biological effectsEtsuo Niki
Health Technology Research Center, National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology, Ikeda, Osaka 563 8577, Japan
Free Radic Biol Med 47:469-84. 2009b>Lipid peroxidation (LPO) has been shown to induce disturbance of membrane organization and functional loss and modification of proteins and DNA bases, and it has been implicated in the pathogenesis of various diseases...
- Oxidative stress & male infertilityKartikeya Makker
Center for Reproductive Medicine, Glickman Urological and Kidney Institute and Obsterics Gynecology and Women s Health Institute, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, Ohio 44195, USA
Indian J Med Res 129:357-67. 2009..It also highlights the mechanism of production and the pathophysiology of ROS in relation to the male reproductive system and enumerate the benefits of incorporating antioxidants in clinical and experimental settings...
- Carbon tetrachloride-induced nephrotoxicity in rats: protective role of Digera muricataMuhammad R Khan
Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Biological Sciences, Quaid i Azam University, Islamabad 4400, Pakistan
J Ethnopharmacol 122:91-9. 2009..reactive radicals has been implicated in carbon tetrachloride-induced nephrotoxicity, which are involved in lipid peroxidation, accumulation of dysfunctional proteins, leading to injuries in kidneys...
- Factors associated with oxidative stress in human populationsGladys Block
Division of Health Policy and Management, School of Public Health, University of California, Berkeley, CA 94720, USA
Am J Epidemiol 156:274-85. 2002..This paper presents data on levels of two biomarkers of lipid peroxidation, malondialdehyde and F(2)-isoprostanes, in 298 healthy adults aged 19-78 years...
- High oxidative damage levels in the longest-living rodent, the naked mole-ratBlazej Andziak
Department of Biology, City College of the City University of New York, New York, NY 10031, USA
Aging Cell 5:463-71. 2006..and a surprisingly more pro-oxidative cellular environment, manifested by 10-fold higher levels of in vivo lipid peroxidation. Furthermore, mole-rats exhibit greater levels of accrued oxidative damage to lipids (twofold), DNA (..
- Effects of thymoquinone on antioxidant enzyme activities, lipid peroxidation and DT-diaphorase in different tissues of mice: a possible mechanism of actionMahmoud A Mansour
Department of Pharmacology, Faculty of Pharmacy, King Saud University, Riyadh, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
Cell Biochem Funct 20:143-51. 2002..firstly, on the effects of oral administration of thymoquinone (TQ) on antioxidant enzyme activities, lipid peroxidation and DT-diaphorase activity in hepatic, cardiac and kidney tissues of normal mice...
- Chemistry and biochemistry of lipid peroxidation productsF Gueraud
UMR1089 Xenobiotiques, INRA, Toulouse, France
Free Radic Res 44:1098-124. 2010Oxidative stress and resulting lipid peroxidation is involved in various and numerous pathological states including inflammation, atherosclerosis, neurodegenerative diseases and cancer...
- Evaluation of oxidative stress in autism: defective antioxidant enzymes and increased lipid peroxidationNagwa A Meguid
Department of Research on Children with Special Needs, National Research Center, Tahrir St, Cairo, Egypt
Biol Trace Elem Res 143:58-65. 2011..dismutase (SOD) and glutathione peroxidase (GSH-Px), and levels of malondialdehyde (MDA), a marker of lipid peroxidation, in Egyptian autistic children...
- Combination effects of enalapril and losartan on lipid peroxidation in the kidneys of KK-Ay/Ta miceTakahiko Yamazaki
Division of Nephrology, Department of Internal Medicine, Juntendo University School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
Nephron Exp Nephrol 113:e66-76. 2009Adenosine monophosphate activated protein kinase (AMPK) has a protective effect on lipid peroxidation. Adiponectin and AMPK might have a role in the pathogenesis of diabetic nephropathy...
- Overview of lipid peroxidation products and hepatic protein modification in alcoholic liver diseaseRebecca L Smathers
Molecular Toxicology Program, Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Colorado Denver, USA
Chem Biol Interact 192:107-12. 2011..Studies were initiated to identify hepatic proteins that are targets of 4-HNE modification and determine their relationship with progression of the early stages of ALD...
- The lipid peroxidation by-product 4-hydroxy-2-nonenal (4-HNE) induces insulin resistance in skeletal muscle through both carbonyl and oxidative stressNicolas J Pillon
Universite de Lyon, F 69622 Lyon, France
Endocrinology 153:2099-111. 2012..Under conditions of oxidative stress, lipid peroxidation of ω6-polyunsaturated fatty acids leads to the production of 4-hydroxy-2-nonenal (4-HNE)...
- Molecular mechanism of hippocampal apoptosis of mice following exposure to titanium dioxide nanoparticlesRenping Hu
Medical College, Soochow University, Suzhou, China
J Hazard Mater 191:32-40. 2011..These findings suggest that TiO(2) NP-induced apoptosis in the mouse hippocampus may result from an intrinsic pathway, and workers and consumers should take great caution when handling nanomaterials...
- Selective toxicity of ZnO nanoparticles toward Gram-positive bacteria and cancer cells by apoptosis through lipid peroxidationMariappan Premanathan
Department of Biotechnology, Mepco Schlenk Engineering College, Sivakasi, Tamil Nadu, India
Nanomedicine 7:184-92. 2011..The nanoparticles enhanced ultrasound-induced lipid peroxidation in the liposomal membrane...
- Antioxidant and hepatoprotective effect of Acanthus ilicifoliusB H Babu
Amala Cancer Research Centre, Amala Nagar, 680 553, Thrissur, India
Fitoterapia 72:272-7. 2001..These results were comparable with those obtained with curcumin (100 mg/kg, p.o.)...
- Lipid peroxidation and total antioxidant capacity in vitreous, aqueous humor, and blood samples from patients with diabetic retinopathyRaffaele Mancino
Ophthalmology Unit, Department of Biopathology, Tor Vergata University of Rome, Rome, Italy
Mol Vis 17:1298-304. 2011..To evaluate levels of malondialdehyde and the total antioxidant capacity (TAC) in the blood, aqueous humor, and vitreous bodies of diabetic and nondiabetic patients. We also measured the blood energy charge potential (ECP)...
- Role of lipid peroxidation and PPAR-δ in amplifying glucose-stimulated insulin secretionGuy Cohen
Department of Pharmacology, School of Pharmacy, Faculty of Medicine, Institute for Drug Research, Hebrew University, Jerusalem, Israel
Diabetes 60:2830-42. 2011..We aimed at identifying PUFA-derived mediators and their cellular targets that are involved in the amplification of insulin release from β-cells preexposed to high glucose levels...
- F2-isoprostanes as markers of oxidative stress in vivo: an overviewGinger L Milne
Department of Medicine, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Nashville, TN 37232 6602, USA
Biomarkers 10:S10-23. 2005..studies carried out over the past decade have shown that these compounds are extremely accurate measures of lipid peroxidation and have illuminated the role of oxidant injury in a number of human diseases including atherosclerosis, ..
- Lipid peroxidation and protein oxidation in Alzheimer's disease brain: potential causes and consequences involving amyloid beta-peptide-associated free radical oxidative stressD Allan Butterfield
Department of Chemistry, Center of Membrane Sciences, and Sanders Brown Center on Aging, University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY 40506 0055, USA
Free Radic Biol Med 32:1050-60. 2002..review summarizes current knowledge on phospholipid peroxidation and protein oxidation in AD brain, one potential cause of this oxidative stress, and consequences of A(beta)-induced lipid peroxidation and protein oxidation in AD brain.
- The role of lipid peroxidation products and oxidative stress in activation of the canonical wingless-type MMTV integration site (WNT) pathway in a rat model of diabetic retinopathyT Zhou
Department of Biochemistry, Zhongshan Medical School, Sun Yat Sen University, Guangzhou, China
Diabetologia 54:459-68. 2011..Here we investigated the causative role of oxidative stress in retinal WNT pathway activation in an experimental model of diabetes...
- Role of oxidative modifications in atherosclerosisRoland Stocker
Centre for Vascular Research, University of New South Wales, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Physiol Rev 84:1381-478. 2004..To address this issue, we have proposed an "oxidative response to inflammation" model as a means of reconciling the response-to-injury and oxidative modification hypotheses of atherosclerosis...
- Hyperlipidemia and lipid peroxidation are dependent on the severity of chronic intermittent hypoxiaJianguo Li
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Department of Medicine, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21224, USA
J Appl Physiol 102:557-63. 2007..The goal of the study was to determine if CIH causes lipid peroxidation and dyslipidemia in the absence of obesity and whether the degrees of dyslipidemia and lipid peroxidation ..
- Lipid peroxidation and antioxidant enzyme activities in vascular and Alzheimer dementiasAngela Casado
Departamento de Fisiopatología Celular y Molecular, Centro de Investigaciones Biologicas CSIC, Ramiro de Maeztu, 9, Madrid 28040, Spain
Neurochem Res 33:450-8. 2008..001). We conclude that oxidative stress plays an important role in the brain damage for both AD and VD, being observed higher levels of oxidative stress for AD that for VD...
- Effect of dietary docosahexaenoic acid connecting phospholipids on the lipid peroxidation of the brain in miceSeiichi Hiratsuka
Shizuoka Prefectural Research Institute of Fishery, Yaizu, Shizuoka, Japan
J Nutr Sci Vitaminol (Tokyo) 54:501-6. 2008The effect of dietary docosahexaenoic acid (DHA, C22:6n-3) with two lipid types on lipid peroxidation of the brain was investigated in streptozotocin (STZ)-induced diabetic mice...
- Alterations in brain antioxidant status, protein oxidation and lipid peroxidation in response to different stress modelsEmel Sahin
Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Medicine, Akdeniz University, 07070 Antalya, Turkey
Behav Brain Res 155:241-8. 2004..glutathione peroxidase (Se-GSH-Px) activities, and reduced glutathione (GSH), protein carbonyl (PC) and lipid peroxidation marker (conjugated diene (CD) and thiobarbituric acid-reactive substances (TBARS)) levels in brain of rats, ..
- Protective effects of Digera muricata (L.) Mart. on testis against oxidative stress of carbon tetrachloride in ratMuhammad Rashid Khan
Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Biological Sciences, Quaid i Azam University, Islamabad, Pakistan
Food Chem Toxicol 47:1393-9. 2009..muricata treatment augments the antioxidants defense mechanism against carbon tetrachloride induced toxicity and provides evidence that it may have a therapeutic role in free radical mediated diseases...
- Early anti-inflammatory treatment reduces lipid peroxidation and protein nitration after spinal cord injury in ratsFeng Bao
Spinal Cord Injury Team, BioTherapeutics Research Group, Robarts Research Institute, London, Ontario, Canada
J Neurochem 88:1335-44. 2004..estimating macrophage infiltration), myeloperoxidase activity (MPO, approximating neutrophil infiltration), lipid peroxidation, inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS) and nitrotyrosine (indicating protein nitration) expression in the ..
- Dietary feeding of proanthocyanidins from grape seeds prevents photocarcinogenesis in SKH-1 hairless mice: relationship to decreased fat and lipid peroxidationAnshu Mittal
Department of Dermatology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL 35294, USA
Carcinogenesis 24:1379-88. 2003..revealed that treatment of GSP in vivo and in vitro systems significantly inhibited UVB- or Fe3+-induced lipid peroxidation by 57-66% (P<0.01) and 41-77% (P< 0.05-0...
- A new insight into resveratrol as an atheroprotective compound: inhibition of lipid peroxidation and enhancement of cholesterol effluxHicham Berrougui
Research Center on Aging, Sherbrooke, QC, Canada
Atherosclerosis 207:420-7. 2009..We measured the formation of conjugated dienes and the rate of lipid peroxidation, and observed that resveratrol inhibited copper- and irradiation-induced LDL and HDL oxidation as observed ..
- Lipid peroxidation and antioxidative enzyme activities in childhood epilepsyDilsad Turkdogan
Institute of Neurological Sciences, Marmara University, Istanbul, Turkey
J Child Neurol 17:673-6. 2002This study aimed to investigate the relationship among lipid peroxidation, subsequent activation of scavenger enzymes (superoxide dismutase and glutathione peroxidase), and the presence of structural abnormality in 52 epileptic children ..
- In situ detection of lipid peroxidation and oxidative DNA damage in non-alcoholic fatty liver diseasesShuichi Seki
Third Department of Internal Medicine, Osaka City University Medical School, 1 4 3, Asahimachi, Abenoku, Osaka 545 8585, Japan
J Hepatol 37:56-62. 2002..Although oxidative stress is an important candidate in the pathogenesis of non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD), the localization and pathological significance of oxidative stress-induced cellular damage in NAFLD remains unclear...
- Acidic pH amplifies iron-mediated lipid peroxidation in cellsF Q Schafer
Free Radical Research Institute and ESR Facility, The University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA 52242 1101, USA
Free Radic Biol Med 28:1175-81. 2000The goal of our study was to investigate the mechanism by which changes in extracellular pH influence lipid peroxidation processes...
- Oxidative stress in chronic hepatitis C: not just a feature of late stage diseaseSanjiv K Jain
The Liver Unit, Manchester Royal Infirmary, Manchester, UK
J Hepatol 36:805-11. 2002..Chronic hepatitis C infection is a major world-wide problem, frequently progressing to cirrhosis, liver failure or hepatoma. The pathological mechanisms of disease progression are unclear but oxidant stress may play a role...
- Plasma total antioxidant capacity in hemodialyzed patients and its relationships to other biomarkers of oxidative stress and lipid peroxidationGianmario Gerardi
III Servizio di Analisi Chimico Cliniche Laboratorio di Biotecnologie, Spedali Civili di Brescia, Italy
Clin Chem Lab Med 40:104-10. 2002..Plasma lipid peroxidation was assessed by determining the peroxidation products malonaldehyde and 4-hydroxynonenal (MDA-4HNE) as well ..
- Products of the isoprostane pathway: unique bioactive compounds and markers of lipid peroxidationL Jackson Roberts
Department of Pharmacology, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, Tennessee 37232 6602, USA
Cell Mol Life Sci 59:808-20. 2002..to lysine residues on proteins and induce cross-links at rates that far exceed other aldehyde products of lipid peroxidation. Isoprostane-like compounds (neuroprostanes) and isoketal-like compounds (neuroketals) are formed from ..
- Green tea supplementation affects body weight, lipids, and lipid peroxidation in obese subjects with metabolic syndromeArpita Basu
Nutritional Sciences, Human Environmental Sciences, Oklahoma State University, Stillwater, Oklahoma, USA
J Am Coll Nutr 29:31-40. 2010..To compare the effects of supplementation of green tea beverage or green tea extracts with controls on body weight, glucose and lipid profile, biomarkers of oxidative stress, and safety parameters in obese subjects with metabolic syndrome...
- Chronic inflammation and oxidative stress in the genesis and perpetuation of cancer: role of lipid peroxidation, DNA damage, and repairHelmut Bartsch
Division of Toxicology and Cancer Risk Factors, German Cancer Research Center DKFZ, Im Neuenheimer Feld 280, 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
Langenbecks Arch Surg 391:499-510. 2006..Chronic inflammatory processes induce oxidative/nitrosative stress and lipid peroxidation (LPO), thereby generating excess reactive oxygen species (ROS), reactive nitrogen species (RNS), and DNA-..
- Damage to the structure of erythrocyte plasma membranes in patients with type-2 hypercholesterolemiaMaria Koter
Department of Environment Pollution Biophysics, University of Lodz, 12 16 Banacha St, 90 347, Lodz, Poland
Int J Biochem Cell Biol 36:205-15. 2004..The study involved 60 hypercholesterolemic patients and 30 healthy individuals as the control group...
- Phospholipase A(2), reactive oxygen species, and lipid peroxidation in CNS pathologiesRao Muralikrishna Adibhatla
Department of Neurological Surgery, Cardiovascular Research Center, Neuroscience Training Program, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI, USA
BMB Rep 41:560-7. 2008..Dissecting the contribution of PLA(2) to lipid peroxidation in CNS injury and disorders is a challenging proposition due to the multiple forms of PLA(2), the diverse ..
- Measurement of lipid peroxidationK Moore
Department of Medicine, Royal Free Hospital School of Medicine, London, UK
Free Radic Res 28:659-71. 1998b>Lipid peroxidation results in the formation of conjugated dienes, lipid hydroperoxides and degradation products such as alkanes, aldehydes and isoprostanes...
- Plasma lipid peroxidation and antioxidant levels in patients with rheumatoid arthritisAyhan Kamanli
Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Medical Faculty, Firat University, Elazig, Turkey
Cell Biochem Funct 22:53-7. 2004..of vitamin E, beta-carotene, activities of glutathione peroxidase (GSH-Px) and catalase, levels of lipid peroxidation (MDA) and reduced glutathione (GSH) in 36 patients with rheumatoid arthritis (RA) and 22 healthy age-matched ..
- Edaravone prevents kainic acid-induced neuronal deathRyohei Miyamoto
Department of Pediatrics, Osaka Medical College, Japan
Brain Res 1209:85-91. 2008..significantly lessened the KA-induced increase of HNE, Ed may exert its neuroprotective effect by inhibiting lipid peroxidation. However, post-treatment with Ed prevented neuronal cell loss, while HNE and glutathione levels did not ..
- Increased lipid peroxidation precedes amyloid plaque formation in an animal model of Alzheimer amyloidosisD Pratico
Center for Experimental Therapeutics and Department of Pharmacology, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
J Neurosci 21:4183-7. 2001Oxidative stress is a key feature in the Alzheimer's disease (AD) brain and manifests as lipid peroxidation (LPO). Isoprostanes (iPs) are specific and sensitive markers of in vivo LPO...
- Phospholipase A2, reactive oxygen species, and lipid peroxidation in cerebral ischemiaRao Muralikrishna Adibhatla
Department of Neurological Surgery, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI 53792 3232, USA
Free Radic Biol Med 40:376-87. 2006..of PLA2 in cerebral ischemia has been shown while other studies have separately demonstrated increased lipid peroxidation. To the best of our knowledge no study has directly shown the role of PLA2 in lipid peroxidation in cerebral ..
- Differential effects of carotenoids on lipid peroxidation due to membrane interactions: X-ray diffraction analysisHyesun P McNulty
Elucida Research, 100 Cummings Center, Suite 135L, P O Box 7100, Beverly, MA 01915 0091, USA
Biochim Biophys Acta 1768:167-74. 2007..To test this hypothesis, we measured the effects of various carotenoids on rates of lipid peroxidation and correlated these findings with their membrane interactions, as determined by small angle X-ray ..
- Increased lipid peroxidation in sera of ALS patients: a potential biomarker of disease burdenE P Simpson
Department of Neurology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX, USA
Neurology 62:1758-65. 2004..Markers of oxidative stress and immune activation are significantly elevated in postmortem ALS CNS tissue, although the relevance to pathogenesis is unclear...
- The change of oxidative stress products in diabetes mellitus and diabetic retinopathyHong Zhi Pan
First Affiliated Hospital of the Harbin Medical University, No 23 Youzheng Street, Nangang District, Harbin, Heilongjiang, 150001, China
Br J Ophthalmol 92:548-51. 2008..The aim of this study is to detect oxidative stress parameters in type 2 diabetes mellitus with or without retinopathy and to investigate the relationship between oxidative stress and patients with type 2 diabetic retinopathy...
- Systemic levels of lipid peroxidation and its metabolic and dietary correlates in patients with nonalcoholic steatohepatitisNaga Chalasani
Department of Medicine, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, Indiana 46202, USA
Am J Gastroenterol 99:1497-502. 2004Products of systemic lipid peroxidation are important in the pathogenesis of cardiovascular disease...
- Oxidative stress in autism: increased lipid peroxidation and reduced serum levels of ceruloplasmin and transferrin--the antioxidant proteinsAbha Chauhan
NYS Institute for Basic Research in Developmental Disabilities, 1050 Forest Hill Road, Staten Island, New York 10314, USA
Life Sci 75:2539-49. 2004Autism is a neurological disorder of childhood with poorly understood etiology and pathology. We compared lipid peroxidation status in the plasma of children with autism, and their developmentally normal non-autistic siblings by ..
- Cadmium induces reactive oxygen species generation and lipid peroxidation in cortical neurons in cultureE Lopez
Instituto de Bioquímica Centro Mixto CSIC UCM, Facultad de Farmacia, 28040 Madrid, Spain
Free Radic Biol Med 40:940-51. 2006..Necrotic death could be mediated by lipid peroxidation induced by cadmium through an indirect mechanism (ROS formation)...
- Role of glutathione peroxidase in protecting mammalian spermatozoa from loss of motility caused by spontaneous lipid peroxidationJ G Alvarez
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, 19104 6080
Gamete Res 23:77-90. 1989..Recent work has shown that loss of sperm motility in these species correlates with the extent of spontaneous lipid peroxidation. In this study, the effect of H2O2 on this reaction in sperm of the three species was investigated...
- Antioxidative enzyme activities and lipid peroxidation in major depression: alterations by antidepressant treatmentsM Bilici
Department of Psychiatry, School of Medicine, Karadeniz Technical University, 61080, Trabzon, Turkey
J Affect Disord 64:43-51. 2001..and abnormalities in lipid compounds may cause overproduction of ROS and, in turn, antioxidative enzyme activities (AEAs) and lipid peroxidation (LP), and that these phenomena may be related to pathophysiology of major depression.
- Toll-like receptor-4 mediates neuronal apoptosis induced by amyloid beta-peptide and the membrane lipid peroxidation product 4-hydroxynonenalSung Chun Tang
Laboratory of Neurosciences, National Institute on Aging Intramural Research Program, Baltimore, MD 21224, USA
Exp Neurol 213:114-21. 2008..we report that TLR4 expression increases in neurons when exposed to amyloid beta-peptide (Abeta1-42) or the lipid peroxidation product 4-hydroxynonenal (HNE)...
- Exploring the biology of lipid peroxidation-derived protein carbonylationKristofer S Fritz
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, School of Pharmacy, University of Colorado Denver, Anschutz Medical Campus, Aurora, Colorado 80045, USA
Chem Res Toxicol 24:1411-9. 2011..The accumulation of reactive aldehydes resulting from sustained oxidative stress and lipid peroxidation is an underlying factor in the development of these pathologies...
- CCR2 antagonism improves insulin resistance, lipid metabolism, and diabetic nephropathy in type 2 diabetic miceYoung Sun Kang
Division of Nephrology, Department of Internal Medicine, Korea University, Ansan City, Korea
Kidney Int 78:883-94. 2010..Hence, our findings suggest that CCR2 antagonists can improve insulin resistance by modulation of the adipose tissue and restore renal function through both metabolic and anti-fibrotic effects in type 2 diabetic mice...
- Association of GSTM1 and GSTT1 polymorphism with lipid peroxidation in benign prostate hyperplasia and prostate cancer: a pilot studyVivek Kumar
Department of Biochemistry, University College of Medical Sciences and GTB Hospital, University of Delhi, Dilshad Garden, Delhi, India
Dis Markers 30:163-9. 2011..Double deletion (GSTM1-/GSTT1-) is associated with higher oxidative stress which might play a role in the pathogenesis of BPH and prostate cancer. However, other markers of oxidative stress should be analyzed before any firm conclusion...
- Puerarin protects rat kidney from lead-induced apoptosis by modulating the PI3K/Akt/eNOS pathwayChan Min Liu
School of Life Science, Xuzhou Normal University, No 101, Shanghai Road, Tangshan New Area, Xuzhou City 221116, Xuzhou City, Jiangsu Province, PR China
Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 258:330-42. 2012..elevation of reactive oxygen species (ROS) production and oxidative stress, as evidenced by increasing of lipid peroxidation level and depleting of intracellular reduced glutathione (GSH) level in kidney, were suppressed by treatment ..
- Protective effects of curcumin against sodium fluoride-induced toxicity in rat kidneysSeyed Fazel Nabavi
National elites foundation of Iran, Tehran, Iran
Biol Trace Elem Res 145:369-74. 2012..After 1 week, lipid peroxidation level, activities of superoxide dismutase, catalase, and level of glutathione in kidney homogenate were ..
- Relationship between (Na + K)-ATPase activity, lipid peroxidation and fatty acid profile in erythrocytes of hypertensive and normotensive subjectsRamón Rodrigo
Laboratory of Renal Pathophysiology, Molecular and Clinical Pharmacology Program, Institute of Biomedical Sciences, Faculty of Medicine, University of Chile, Independencia 1027, Casilla, 70058, Santiago 7, Chile
Mol Cell Biochem 303:73-81. 2007Oxidative stress may play a role in the pathogenic mechanism of essential hypertension. Lipid peroxidation can alter the cellular structure of membrane-bound enzymes by changing the membrane phospholipids fatty acids composition...
- Experimental exposure to wood-smoke particles in healthy humans: effects on markers of inflammation, coagulation, and lipid peroxidationLars Barregard
Department of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, Sahlgrenska University Hospital and Academy, Goteborg University, Goteborg, Sweden
Inhal Toxicol 18:845-53. 2006..to examine whether short-term exposure to wood smoke affects markers of inflammation, blood hemostasis, and lipid peroxidation in healthy humans...
- Resveratrol and red wine function as antioxidants in the nervous system without cellular proliferative effects during experimental diabetesCarina Duarte Venturini
Universidade Federal de Ciências da Saúde de Porto Alegre, Division of Pharmacology, Porto Alegre, Brazil
Oxid Med Cell Longev 3:434-41. 2010..b>Lipid peroxidation (TBARS), catalase and superoxide dismutase were measured to evaluate the oxidative stress and the BrdU-..
- Increased oxidative DNA damage, lipid peroxidation, and reactive oxygen species in cultured orbital fibroblasts from patients with Graves' ophthalmopathy: evidence that oxidative stress has a role in this disorderC C Tsai
Department of Ophthalmology, Taipei Veterans General Hospital and National Yang Ming University, Taipei, Taiwan
Eye (Lond) 24:1520-5. 2010..We investigated the oxidative stress in orbital fibroadipose tissues and cultured orbital fibroblasts from patients with Graves' ophthalmopathy (GO)...
- Activation of stress signaling pathways by the end product of lipid peroxidation. 4-hydroxy-2-nonenal is a potential inducer of intracellular peroxide productionK Uchida
Laboratory of Food and Biodynamics, Nagoya University Graduate School of Bioagricultural Sciences, Nagoya 464 8601, Japan
J Biol Chem 274:2234-42. 1999..and the AP-1-induced transcription of xenobiotic-metabolizing enzymes, these data may show a potential critical role for JNK in the induction of a cellular defense program against toxic products generated from lipid peroxidation.
- Antioxidant enzyme activities and oxidative stress in affective disordersM Erkan Ozcan
Department of Psychiatry, Inonu University Medical School, Malatya, Turkey
Int Clin Psychopharmacol 19:89-95. 2004..The results of several reports suggest that lower antioxidant defences against lipid peroxidation exist in patients with depression and that there is a therapeutic benefit from antioxidant supplementation ..
- l-Theanine, an amino acid in green tea, attenuates beta-amyloid-induced cognitive dysfunction and neurotoxicity: reduction in oxidative damage and inactivation of ERK/p38 kinase and NF-kappaB pathwaysTae Il Kim
College of Pharmacy and CBITRC, Chungbuk National University, Cheongju, Chungbuk 361 763, Korea
Free Radic Biol Med 47:1601-10. 2009..Thus, l-theanine may be useful in the prevention and treatment of AD...
- Radiation-induced lipid peroxidation activates src kinase and triggers nuclear EGFR transportKlaus Dittmann
Department of Radiation Oncology, Eberhard Karls University, Röntgenweg, Germany
Radiother Oncol 92:379-82. 2009..Elucidation of the molecular mechanism of radiation-induced activation of src kinase, which initiates EGFR internalization and nuclear transport...
- Protection of pancreatic beta-cells by group VIA phospholipase A(2)-mediated repair of mitochondrial membrane peroxidationZhengshan Zhao
Division of Experimental Diabetes and Aging, Department of Geriatrics and Adult Development, One Gustave L Levy Place, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY 10029, USA
Endocrinology 151:3038-48. 2010..The low iPLA(2)beta expression level in db/db mouse beta-cells may render them vulnerable to injury by reactive oxygen species...
- Lipid peroxidation products reduce lysosomal protease activities in human retinal pigment epithelial cells via two different mechanisms of actionTim U Krohne
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Bonn, Bonn, Germany
Exp Eye Res 90:261-6. 2010..We previously demonstrated that lipid peroxidation-related protein modifications inhibit lysosomal degradation of photoreceptor outer segment (POS) proteins in ..
- Reactive oxygen species mediate liver injury through parenchymal nuclear factor-kappaB inactivation in prolonged ischemia/reperfusionLaura Llacuna
Liver Unit, Hospital Clinic, Institut de Investigacions Biomèdiques August Pi Sunyer, Centro de Investigaciones Biomédicas Esther Koplowitz, Universitat de Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Am J Pathol 174:1776-85. 2009....
- Proteomic identification of HNE-bound proteins in early Alzheimer disease: Insights into the role of lipid peroxidation in the progression of ADTanea T Reed
Department of Chemistry, Center of Membrane Sciences, and Sanders Brown Center on Aging, University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY 40506, USA
Brain Res 1274:66-76. 2009..Oxidative stress in brain is reported in MCI and AD, including lipid peroxidation indexed by protein-bound 4-hydroxy-2-nonenal (HNE)...
- The levels of glutathione peroxidase, vitamin A, E, C and lipid peroxidation in patients with transitional cell carcinoma of the bladderO Yalcin
Department of Urology, Firat Medical Centre, and Department of Chemistry, Faculty of Science and Literature, Firat University, 23119 Elazig, Turkey
BJU Int 93:863-6. 2004..To assess the levels of erythrocyte glutathione peroxidase (GSH-Px), and the serum levels of antioxidant vitamins (A, E and C), selenium and malondialdehyde (MDA) in patients with transitional cell carcinoma (TCC) of the bladder...
- S-allylcysteine inhibits free radical production, lipid peroxidation and neuronal damage in rat brain ischemiaY Numagami
Philadelphia Biomedical Research Institute, King of Prussia, PA 19406, USA
J Nutr 131:1100S-5S. 2001..Although SAC did not attenuate the first peak, it did affect the second peak, which is related to lipid peroxidation. The lipid peroxidation as estimated by thiobarbituric acid reactive substances (TBARS) increased ..
- Apple polyphenol extracts prevent damage to human gastric epithelial cells in vitro and to rat gastric mucosa in vivoG Graziani
Dipartimento di Scienza degli Alimenti, Universita di Napoli, Italy
Gut 54:193-200. 2005..Fresh fruit and vegetables exert multiple biological effects on the gastrointestinal mucosa...
- Medicinal values of fruit peels from Citrus sinensis, Punica granatum, and Musa paradisiaca with respect to alterations in tissue lipid peroxidation and serum concentration of glucose, insulin, and thyroid hormonesHamendra Singh Parmar
School of Life Sciences, Devi Ahilya University, Indore, MP, India
J Med Food 11:376-81. 2008..from Citrus sinensis, Punica granatum, and Musa paradisiaca were investigated for their effects on tissue lipid peroxidation (LPO) and on the concentration of thyroid hormones, insulin, and glucose in male rats...
- Inhaled diesel emissions alter atherosclerotic plaque composition in ApoE(-/-) miceMatthew J Campen
Toxicology Division, Lovelace Respiratory Research Institute, Albuquerque, NM, USA
Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 242:310-7. 2010..Diesel induced dose-related alterations in gene markers of vascular remodeling and aortic lipid peroxidation; filtration of PM did not significantly alter these vascular responses, indicating that the gaseous portion ..
- The lipid whisker model of the structure of oxidized cell membranesMichael E Greenberg
Department of Cell Biology, Cleveland Clinic, Ohio 44195, USA
J Biol Chem 283:2385-96. 2008..Rather, our results suggest the following global phenomenon. As cellular membranes undergo lipid peroxidation, such as during senescence or apoptosis, previously hydrophobic portions of fatty acids will move from the ..
- Protective effects of zinc on lipid peroxidation, antioxidant enzymes and hepatic histoarchitecture in chlorpyrifos-induced toxicityAjay Goel
Department of Biophysics, Panjab University, Sector 14, Chandigarh 160014, India
Chem Biol Interact 156:131-40. 2005..The effects of these treatments were studied on various parameters in rat liver, including lipid peroxidation, antioxidant enzymes, levels of metallothionein (MT) and hepatic histoarchitecture...
- Antioxidant status and lipid peroxidation in type II diabetes mellitusRamazan Memisogullari
Department of Biochemistry, Medical School, Ataturk University, Erzurum, Turkey
Cell Biochem Funct 21:291-6. 2003..In this study, erythrocyte glutathione levels, lipid peroxidation, superoxide dismutase, catalase, and glutathione peroxidase and some extracellular antioxidant protein ..
- The flavonoid baicalin counteracts ischemic and oxidative insults to retinal cells and lipid peroxidation to brain membranesS H Jung
Nuffield Laboratory of Ophthalmology, Oxford University, John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford OX3 9DU, UK
Neurochem Int 53:325-37. 2008..Moreover, a lipid peroxidation assay was used to compare the antioxidant capacity of baicalin with the flavonoid, epigallocatechin gallate (..
- Ameliorative effect of ajwain extract on hexachlorocyclohexane-induced lipid peroxidation in rat liverK R Anilakumar
Biochemistry and Nutrition Discipline, Defence Food Research Laboratory, Mysore 570011, Karnataka, India
Food Chem Toxicol 47:279-82. 2009..Results revealed that HCH administration lead to an increase in hepatic lipid peroxidation associated with reduction in, levels of glutathione (GSH), activity of superoxide dismutase (SOD), catalase ..
- Lipid peroxidation and antioxidant enzyme activities in infertile men: correlation with semen parameterFatma Ben Abdallah
Human Pathologies and Oxidative Stress Unit, Superior Institute of Biotechnology of Sfax, Sfax, Tunisia
J Clin Lab Anal 23:99-104. 2009..05). In conclusion, our results suggest that the evaluation of oxidative status and antioxidant defenses may be taken as an important tool for diagnosis and treatment of male infertility...
- Antioxidative and hepatoprotective effects of magnolol on acetaminophen-induced liver damage in ratsYung Hsiang Chen
Graduate Institute of Integrated Medicine, College of Chinese Medicine, China Medical University, Taichung, Taiwan
Arch Pharm Res 32:221-8. 2009..01, 0.1, and 1 mug/kg). Histological changes around the hepatic central vein, lipid peroxidation (thiobarbituric acid-reactive substance/TBARS), and GSH depletion in liver tissue induced by APAP were also ..
- MOLECULAR MECHANISMS OF OXIDATION OF LDLSampath Parthasarathy; Fiscal Year: 1999..B (apoB) and amino phospholipids (phosphatidylethanolamine) of LDL play a role in the propagation of lipid peroxidation and in the generation of oxidized LDL...
- OXIDANT MECHANISMS IN MEMBRANOUS NEPHROPATHYSudhir Shah; Fiscal Year: 1993..B. To examine the effect of anti-Fx1A antibody on glomerular GSH, GSSG levels, GSSG/GSH ratios and lipid peroxidation. The detection of enhanced lipid peroxidation and changes in glutathione (GSH) "oxidized" glutathione, (GSSG)..
- FREE RADICAL LIPID PEROXIDATION DAMAGEALOYS TAPPEL; Fiscal Year: 1991Long-term objectives are (i) to advance knowledge of lipid peroxidation in animal tissues, with a major focus on the interaction of toxic initiators and antioxygenic protectors as determined by differential biochemical damage to lipids, ..
- Metals in exhaled breath condensate as COPD biomarkersAntonio Mutti; Fiscal Year: 2005..LC-MS/MS) will be used as a complementary approach to develop biomarkers of effect (aldehydes from lipid peroxidation) suitable for the long-term monitoring of COPD patients...
- LIPID PEROXIDATION IN COLORECTAL CANCERManuela Gago Dominguez; Fiscal Year: 2009..and folate) and risk-enhancing (alcohol intake) factors for colorectal cancer are associated with plasma lipid peroxidation products [malondialdehyde, (MDA) and lipid peroxides] among controls. 2.1...
- Refinement of LC/ESR/MS for Studying Lipid Free Radicals in Colon Cancer GrowthSteven Qian; Fiscal Year: 2009..In addition, PUFA-derived free radicals, the most reactive intermediates in 15-LOX and COX lipid peroxidation, have not yet been identified nor their bioactivities characterized in colon cancer progression due to the ..
- OXIDATIVE CELL INJURY: FIRST-EPISODE PSYCHOTIC PATIENTSSahebarao Mahadik; Fiscal Year: 2002..proposal is the initial findings from our previous studies of an impaired antioxidant defense and increased lipid peroxidation that were associated with the brain morphometric changes at the onset of psychosis...
- EFFECT OF VITAMIN E ON HEPATOCYTE STRUCTURE AND FUNCTIONRonald Sokol; Fiscal Year: 1991..E is the primary membrane-localized antioxidant protecting cellular membranes from free radical-induced lipid peroxidation. Infants and children with chronic forms of cholestatic hepatobiliary diseases frequently develop ..
- BREATH ETHANE, BIOMARKER OF VITAMIN A AND E DEFICIENCYKathleen Schwarz; Fiscal Year: 1993..Both vitamins exhibit potent antioxidant activity in vitro, and breath ethane (a volatile product of lipid peroxidation) is a useful index of vitamin E deficiency...
- Lipid peroxidation product induced DNA damage in the p53 gene and liver cancerERIC MOON SHONG M TANG; Fiscal Year: 2010..Rats on CDD therefore provide an excellent model for studying HCC. It has been found that the lipid peroxidation (LPO) level and LPO product-induced DNA damage are significantly increased in liver cells of rats on CDD;LPO ..