Genomes and Genes
Summary: The process of cleaving a chemical compound by the addition of a molecule of water.
Publications315 found, 100 shown here
- Stimulation of lignocellulosic biomass hydrolysis by proteins of glycoside hydrolase family 61: structure and function of a large, enigmatic familyPaul V Harris
Novozymes Inc, 1445 Drew Avenue, Davis, California 95618, USA
Biochemistry 49:3305-16. 2010Currently, the relatively high cost of enzymes such as glycoside hydrolases that catalyze cellulose hydrolysis represents a barrier to commercialization of a biorefinery capable of producing renewable transportable fuels such as ethanol ..
- The guanine nucleotide-binding switch in three dimensionsI R Vetter
, 44227 Dortmund, Germany
Science 294:1299-304. 2001..Here we will try to define some underlying principles...
- Microbial diversity of cellulose hydrolysisDavid B Wilson
Department of Molecular Biology and Genetics, 458 Biotechnology Building, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853, United States
Curr Opin Microbiol 14:259-63. 2011Enzymatic hydrolysis of cellulose by microorganisms is a key step in the global carbon cycle. Despite its abundance only a small percentage of microorganisms can degrade cellulose, probably because it is present in recalcitrant cell walls...
- Hydrolysis of lignocellulosic materials for ethanol production: a reviewYe Sun
Department of Biological and Agricultural Engineering, North Carolina State University, Raleigh 27695 7625, USA
Bioresour Technol 83:1-11. 2002..There are mainly two processes involved in the conversion: hydrolysis of cellulose in the lignocellulosic biomass to produce reducing sugars, and fermentation of the sugars to ..
- Expression of ectonucleotidase CD39 by Foxp3+ Treg cells: hydrolysis of extracellular ATP and immune suppressionGiovanna Borsellino
Laboratory of Neuroimmunology, Fondazione Santa Lucia, Rome, Italy
Blood 110:1225-32. 2007..Thus, in humans CD39 is a marker of a Treg subset likely involved in the control of the inflammatory autoimmune disease...
- Features of promising technologies for pretreatment of lignocellulosic biomassNathan Mosier
Laboratory of Renewable Resources Engineering, Department of Agricultural and Biological Engineering, Purdue University, Potter Engineering Center, 500 Central Drive, West Lafayette, IN 47907 2022, USA
Bioresour Technol 96:673-86. 2005..The goal of any pretreatment technology is to alter or remove structural and compositional impediments to hydrolysis in order to improve the rate of enzyme hydrolysis and increase yields of fermentable sugars from cellulose or ..
- Toward an aggregated understanding of enzymatic hydrolysis of cellulose: noncomplexed cellulase systemsYi Heng Percival Zhang
Thayer School of Engineering, Dartmouth College, Hanover, New Hampshire 03755, USA
Biotechnol Bioeng 88:797-824. 2004Information pertaining to enzymatic hydrolysis of cellulose by noncomplexed cellulase enzyme systems is reviewed with a particular emphasis on development of aggregated understanding incorporating substrate features in addition to ..
- Hydrolysis of biological peptides by human angiotensin-converting enzyme-related carboxypeptidaseChad Vickers
Department of Metabolic Disease, Millennium Pharmaceuticals, Inc, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02139, USA
J Biol Chem 277:14838-43. 2002..An alignment of the ACE2 peptide substrates reveals a consensus sequence of: Pro-X((1-3 residues))-Pro-Hydrophobic, where hydrolysis occurs between proline and the hydrophobic amino acid.
- A sequence variation (I148M) in PNPLA3 associated with nonalcoholic fatty liver disease disrupts triglyceride hydrolysisShaoqing He
Department of Molecular Genetics, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, Texas 75390, USA
J Biol Chem 285:6706-15. 2010..These data are consistent with PNPLA3-I148M promoting triglyceride accumulation by limiting triglyceride hydrolysis.
- Identification, cloning, expression, and purification of three novel human calcium-independent phospholipase A2 family members possessing triacylglycerol lipase and acylglycerol transacylase activitiesChristopher M Jenkins
Division of Bioorganic Chemistry and Molecular Pharmacology, Department of Medicine, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri 63110, USA
J Biol Chem 279:48968-75. 2004..lipase in mice has implicated the presence of other intracellular triacylglycerol (TAG) lipases mediating TAG hydrolysis in adipocytes...
- Brain monoglyceride lipase participating in endocannabinoid inactivationT P Dinh
Department of Pharmacology, University of California, Irvine, CA 92697 4625, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 99:10819-24. 2002..2-AG inactivation is only partially understood, but it may occur by transport into cells and enzymatic hydrolysis. Here we tested the hypothesis that monoglyceride lipase (MGL), a serine hydrolase that converts monoglycerides ..
- Inhibition of enzymatic hydrolysis by residual lignins from softwood--study of enzyme binding and inactivation on lignin-rich surfaceJenni Rahikainen
VTT Technical Research Centre of Finland, PO Box 1000, 02044 VTT, Finland
Biotechnol Bioeng 108:2823-34. 2011Lignin-derived inhibition is a major obstacle restricting the enzymatic hydrolysis of cell wall polysaccharides especially with softwood lignocellulosics...
- Effects of cellulose crystallinity, hemicellulose, and lignin on the enzymatic hydrolysis of Miscanthus sinensis to monosaccharidesMakoto Yoshida
Faculty of Agriculture, Tokyo University of Agriculture and Technology, Fuchu, Tokyo 183 8509, Japan
Biosci Biotechnol Biochem 72:805-10. 2008The effects of cellulose crystallinity, hemicellulose, and lignin on the enzymatic hydrolysis of Miscanthus sinensis to monosaccharides were investigated...
- Crystal structure of NDM-1 reveals a common β-lactam hydrolysis mechanismHongmin Zhang
Department of Physiology, University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, China
FASEB J 25:2574-82. 2011..3-Å resolution. Structural comparison with other MBLs revealed a new hydrolysis mechanism applicable to all three subclasses of MBLs, which might help the design of mechanism based inhibitors.
- Transition of cellulose crystalline structure and surface morphology of biomass as a function of ionic liquid pretreatment and its relation to enzymatic hydrolysisGang Cheng
Joint BioEnergy Institute, Emeryville, California, USA
Biomacromolecules 12:933-41. 2011..virgatum), pine ( Pinus radiata ), and eucalyptus ( Eucalyptus globulus ), and its influence on cellulose hydrolysis kinetics of the resultant biomass...
- Pretreatment technologies for an efficient bioethanol production process based on enzymatic hydrolysis: A reviewP Alvira
CIEMAT, Renewable Energy Division, Biomass Unit, Avda Complutense 22, Madrid 28040, Spain
Bioresour Technol 101:4851-61. 2010..chemical barriers caused by the close association of the main components of lignocellulosic biomass, hinder the hydrolysis of cellulose and hemicellulose to fermentable sugars...
- GAIP and RGS4 are GTPase-activating proteins for the Gi subfamily of G protein alpha subunitsD M Berman
Department of Pharmacology University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center Dallas 75235, USA
Cell 86:445-52. 1996..that two RGS family members, GAIP and RGS4, are GTPase-activating proteins (GAPs), accelerating the rate of GTP hydrolysis by Gi alpha 1 at least 40-fold...
- ATP hydrolysis is required for relocating cohesin from sites occupied by its Scc2/4 loading complexBin Hu
Department of Biochemistry, University of Oxford, South Parks Road, Oxford OX1 3QU, UK
Curr Biol 21:12-24. 2011..A key issue concerns where entrapment initially takes place: at sites where cohesin is found stably associated or at distinct "loading" sites from which it translocates...
- The mechanism for activation of GTP hydrolysis on the ribosomeRebecca M Voorhees
MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology, Cambridge CB2 0QH, UK
Science 330:835-8. 2010..To understand how the ribosome triggers GTP hydrolysis in translational GTPases, we have determined the crystal structure of EF-Tu and aminoacyl-tRNA bound to the ..
- Enhanced DNA accessibility and increased DNA damage induced by the absence of poly(ADP-ribose) hydrolysisYiran Zhou
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, College of Pharmacy, Washington State University, Pullman, Washington 99164, USA
Biochemistry 49:7360-6. 2010..However, inhibiting its hydrolysis by PAR glycohydrolase (PARG) has therapeutic potential in cancer...
- Rheb GTPase is a direct target of TSC2 GAP activity and regulates mTOR signalingKen Inoki
Department of Biological Chemistry, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109, USA
Genes Dev 17:1829-34. 2003..Our data demonstrate that Rheb acts downstream of TSC1/TSC2 and upstream of mTOR to regulate cell growth...
- ATP binding and hydrolysis are essential to the function of the Hsp90 molecular chaperone in vivoB Panaretou
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University College London, Gower Street, London WC1E 6BT, UK
EMBO J 17:4829-36. 1998..Mutations of residues implicated in ATP binding and hydrolysis by structural studies abolish this ATPase activity in vitro and disrupt Hsp90 function in vivo...
- Chloroplast-derived enzyme cocktails hydrolyse lignocellulosic biomass and release fermentable sugarsDheeraj Verma
Department of Molecular Biology and Microbiology, Burnett School of Biomedical Sciences, College of Medicine, University of Central Florida, Orlando, FL 32816 2364, USA
Plant Biotechnol J 8:332-50. 2010..Limitations of higher cost and lower production capacity of fermentation systems are addressed by chloroplast-derived enzyme cocktails...
- Selective blockade of 2-arachidonoylglycerol hydrolysis produces cannabinoid behavioral effectsJonathan Z Long
The Skaggs Institute for Chemical Biology and Department of Chemical Physiology, The Scripps Research Institute, 10550 North Torrey Pines Road, La Jolla, California 92037, USA
Nat Chem Biol 5:37-44. 2009..Endocannabinoid signaling is terminated by enzymatic hydrolysis, a process that for anandamide is mediated by fatty acid amide hydrolase (FAAH), and for 2-AG is thought to ..
- Mutations in the NB-ARC domain of I-2 that impair ATP hydrolysis cause autoactivationWladimir I L Tameling
Plant Pathology, Swammerdam Institute for Life Sciences, University of Amsterdam, 1090 GB Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Plant Physiol 140:1233-45. 2006..To investigate the role of nucleotide binding and hydrolysis for the function of I-2 in planta, specific mutations were introduced in conserved motifs of the NB-ARC domain...
- Endocannabinoid hydrolysis generates brain prostaglandins that promote neuroinflammationDaniel K Nomura
The Skaggs Institute for Chemical Biology and Department of Chemical Physiology, The Scripps Research Institute, 10550 North Torrey Pines Road, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Science 334:809-13. 2011....
- Biodegradation of deltamethrin and its hydrolysis product 3-phenoxybenzaldehyde by a newly isolated Streptomyces aureus strain HP-S-01Shaohua Chen
Key Laboratory of Pesticide and Chemical Biology, Ministry of Education, Laboratory of Insect Toxicology, South China Agricultural University, Guangzhou, People s Republic of China
Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 90:1471-83. 2011..isolated actinomycete strain HP-S-01 from activated sludge could effectively degrade deltamethrin and its major hydrolysis product 3-phenoxybenzaldehyde...
- The salt stress-induced LPA response in Chlamydomonas is produced via PLA₂ hydrolysis of DGK-generated phosphatidic acidSteven A Arisz
Section Plant Physiology, Swammerdam Institute for Life Sciences, University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Lipid Res 52:2012-20. 2011..consistent with the hypothesis that the salt-induced LPA response is primarily generated through PLA₂-mediated hydrolysis of DGK-generated PA and that PLD or de novo synthesis [via endoplasmic reticulum - or plastid-localized routes] ..
- BSA treatment to enhance enzymatic hydrolysis of cellulose in lignin containing substratesBin Yang
Thayer School of Engineering, Dartmouth College, 8000 Cummings Hall, Hanover, New Hampshire 03755, USA
Biotechnol Bioeng 94:611-7. 2006..Of particular note, BSA treatment of pretreated corn stover solids prior to enzymatic hydrolysis increased 72 h glucose yields from about 82% to about 92% at a cellulase loading of 15 FPU/g cellulose or ..
- RUTBC1 protein, a Rab9A effector that activates GTP hydrolysis by Rab32 and Rab33B proteinsRyan M Nottingham
Department of Biochemistry, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, California 94305, USA
J Biol Chem 286:33213-22. 2011..Biochemical screening of RUTBC1 Rab protein substrates revealed highest in vitro GTP hydrolysis-activating activity with Rab32 and Rab33B...
- Enhancing the enzymatic hydrolysis of lignocellulosic biomass by increasing the carboxylic acid content of the associated ligninSeiji Nakagame
Department of Wood Science, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Biotechnol Bioeng 108:538-48. 2011To assess the effects that the physical and chemical properties of lignin might have on the enzymatic hydrolysis of pretreated lignocellulosic substrates, protease treated lignin (PTL) and cellulolytic enzyme lignin (CEL) fractions, ..
- Desnutrin, an adipocyte gene encoding a novel patatin domain-containing protein, is induced by fasting and glucocorticoids: ectopic expression of desnutrin increases triglyceride hydrolysisJosep A Villena
Department of Nutritional Sciences and Toxicology, University of California, Berkeley, California 94720, USA
J Biol Chem 279:47066-75. 2004..Moreover, cells overexpressing desnutrin by transfection showed an increase in triglyceride hydrolysis. Interestingly, we also found that the desnutrin gene expression level was lower in ob/ob and db/db obese mouse ..
- The R1441C mutation of LRRK2 disrupts GTP hydrolysisPatrick A Lewis
Laboratory of Neurogenetics, National Institute on Aging, 35 Convent Drive, Bethesda, MD 20892 3707, USA
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 357:668-71. 2007..To investigate how the GTPase domain might be related to disease, we examined the GTP binding and hydrolysis properties of wild type and a mutant form of LRRK2...
- Rho GTPase regulation of exocytosis in yeast is independent of GTP hydrolysis and polarization of the exocyst complexOlivier Roumanie
Department of Cell and Developmental Biology, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC 27599, USA
J Cell Biol 170:583-94. 2005..Moreover, our analysis of the Sec3 subunit of the exocyst suggests that polarization of the exocyst may be a consequence rather than a cause of polarized exocytosis...
- Central role of the RNA polymerase trigger loop in intrinsic RNA hydrolysisYulia Yuzenkova
Centre for Bacterial Cell Biology, Institute for Cell and Molecular Biosciences, Newcastle University, Newcastle upon Tyne NE2 4AX, United Kingdom
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107:10878-83. 2010..We show that the invariant histidine (beta' His1242) of the TL is essential for hydrolysis/proofreading and participates in the reaction in two distinct ways: by positioning the 3' end nucleotide of the ..
- Hydrolysis of GTP by elongation factor G drives tRNA movement on the ribosomeM V Rodnina
Institute of Molecular Biology, University of Witten Herdecke, Germany
Nature 385:37-41. 1997..In contrast to current models, EF-G-dependent GTP hydrolysis is shown to precede, and greatly accelerate, the rearrangement of the ribosome that leads to translocation...
- Substrate pretreatment: the key to effective enzymatic hydrolysis of lignocellulosics?R P Chandra
Faculty of Forestry, University of British Columbia, 2424 Main Mall, V6T 1Z4, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Adv Biochem Eng Biotechnol 108:67-93. 2007..to be the subject of intense research, it is widely acknowledged that the rate and extent of the cellulolytic hydrolysis of lignocellulosic substrates is influenced not only by the effectiveness of the enzymes but also by the ..
- Xylooligomers are strong inhibitors of cellulose hydrolysis by enzymesQing Qing
Center for Environmental Research and Technology and, Chemical and Environmental Engineering Department, Bourns College of Engineering, University of California, Riverside, 1084 Columbia Avenue, Riverside, CA 92507, United States
Bioresour Technol 101:9624-30. 2010Typically, the enzymatic hydrolysis rate of lignocellulosic biomass is fast initially but then slows down more rapidly than can be explained by just consumption of substrate...
- On the role of ATP hydrolysis in RecA protein-mediated DNA strand exchange. III. Unidirectional branch migration and extensive hybrid DNA formationS K Jain
Department of Biochemistry, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, University of Wisconsin, Madison 53706
J Biol Chem 269:20653-61. 1994We have identified two functions for RecA-mediated ATP hydrolysis during DNA strand exchange. First, ATP hydrolysis renders RecA protein-mediated DNA strand exchange unidirectional (5' to 3' with respect to the single-stranded DNA)...
- Selective cleavage and anticoagulant activity of a sulfated fucan: stereospecific removal of a 2-sulfate ester from the polysaccharide by mild acid hydrolysis, preparation of oligosaccharides, and heparin cofactor II-dependent anticoagulant activityVitor H Pomin
Laboratório de Tecido Conjuntivo, Hospital Universitario Clementino Fraga Filho, Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, Caixa Postal 68041, Rio de Janeiro, RJ, 21941 590, Brazil
Glycobiology 15:369-81. 2005..We employ an apparently nonspecific approach to cleave this polysaccharide based on mild hydrolysis with acid. Surprisingly, the linear sulfated fucan was cleaved by mild acid hydrolysis on an ordered sequence...
- Quantitative profiling of Arabidopsis polar glycerolipids in response to phosphorus starvation. Roles of phospholipases D zeta1 and D zeta2 in phosphatidylcholine hydrolysis and digalactosyldiacylglycerol accumulation in phosphorus-starved plantsMaoyin Li
Department of Biology, University of Missouri, St Louis, Missouri 63121, USA
Plant Physiol 142:750-61. 2006..The results suggest that hydrolysis of phosphatidylcholine by PLD zetas during phosphorus starvation contributes to the supply of inorganic ..
- The iron-containing domain is essential in Rad3 helicases for coupling of ATP hydrolysis to DNA translocation and for targeting the helicase to the single-stranded DNA-double-stranded DNA junctionRobert A Pugh
Department of Biochemistry, Department of Animal Sciences, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, Urbana, IL 61801, USA
J Biol Chem 283:1732-43. 2008..secondary structure of the auxiliary domain important for coupling of single-stranded (ss) DNA-dependent ATP hydrolysis to ssDNA translocation...
- Snapshots of the maltose transporter during ATP hydrolysisMichael L Oldham
Department of Biological Sciences, Purdue University, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, 240 Martin Jischke Boulevard, West Lafayette, IN 47907, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 108:15152-6. 2011..2- to 2.4-Å resolution. These structures led to the assignment of two enzymatic states during ATP hydrolysis and demonstrate specific functional roles of highly conserved residues in the nucleotide-binding domain, ..
- In vivo function of Hsp90 is dependent on ATP binding and ATP hydrolysisW M Obermann
Department of Cellular Biochemistry, Max Planck Institut fur Biochemie, D 82152 Martinsried, Germany
J Cell Biol 143:901-10. 1998..the ATPase domain of Escherichia coli DNA gyrase, the residues of Hsp90 critical in ATP binding (D93) and ATP hydrolysis (E47) were identified...
- ATP hydrolysis is required for DEAD-box protein recycling but not for duplex unwindingFei Liu
Department of Biochemistry and Center for RNA Molecular Biology, School of Medicine, Case Western Reserve University, 10900 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 105:20209-14. 2008..Because DEAD-box proteins hydrolyze ATP in an RNA-dependent fashion, the energy provided by ATP hydrolysis is commonly assumed to drive the energetically unfavorable duplex unwinding...
- Contribution of adipose triglyceride lipase and hormone-sensitive lipase to lipolysis in hMADS adipocytesVeronic Bezaire
INSERM U858, Laboratoire de recherches sur les obésités, F 31432 Toulouse, France
J Biol Chem 284:18282-91. 2009..Altogether, these results suggest that ATGL/CGI-58 acts independently of HSL and precedes its action in the sequential hydrolysis of triglycerides in human hMADS adipocytes.
- Bias in the Cq value observed with hydrolysis probe based quantitative PCR can be corrected with the estimated PCR efficiency valueJari Michael Tuomi
Departments of Physiology and Pharmacology, University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario, Canada
Methods 50:313-22. 2010..b>Hydrolysis reporters (TaqMan probes and QZyme primers) become fluorescent during DNA elongation and the released ..
- The group VIA calcium-independent phospholipase A2 participates in ER stress-induced INS-1 insulinoma cell apoptosis by promoting ceramide generation via hydrolysis of sphingomyelins by neutral sphingomyelinaseXiaoyong Lei
Department of Medicine, Mass Spectrometry Resource, and Division of Endocrinology, Metabolism, and Lipid Research, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri 63110, USA
Biochemistry 46:10170-85. 2007..or NSMase (chemically or with siRNA) suppressed induction of NSMase message, ceramide generation, sphingomyelin hydrolysis, and apoptosis in both V and OE INS-1 cells during ER stress...
- Enantioselective biocatalytic hydrolysis of (R,S)-mandelonitrile for production of (R)-(-)-mandelic acid by a newly isolated mutant strainYa Ping Xue
Institute of Bioengineering, Zhejiang University of Technology, 18 Chaowang Road, Hangzhou, People s Republic of China
J Ind Microbiol Biotechnol 38:337-45. 2011..nitrilase activity and excellent enantioselectivity for production of R-MA by enantioselective biocatalytic hydrolysis of (R,S)-mandelonitrile, was isolated and identified as a strain of Alcaligenes faecalis...
- G domain dimerization controls dynamin's assembly-stimulated GTPase activityJoshua S Chappie
Laboratory of Molecular Biology, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, NIH, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
Nature 465:435-40. 2010..The mechanisms of dynamin's basal and assembly-stimulated GTP hydrolysis are unknown, though both are indirectly influenced by the GTPase effector domain (GED). Here we present the 2...
- The prion curing agent guanidinium chloride specifically inhibits ATP hydrolysis by Hsp104Valerie Grimminger
Institut fur Organische Chemie und Biochemie, Technische Universitat Munchen, Lichtenbergstrasse 4, 85747 Garching, Germany
J Biol Chem 279:7378-83. 2004..Our findings strongly suggest that guanidinium chloride causes curing of yeast prions by perturbing the ATPase of Hsp104, which is essential for both prion propagation and thermotolerance...
- Single cell oil production from rice hulls hydrolysateCh N Economou
Department of Environmental and Natural Resources Management, University of Ioannina, G Seferi 2, 30100 Agrinio, Greece
Bioresour Technol 102:9737-42. 2011..Fatty acids of long aliphatic chain were not detected, thus the microbial oil produced is a promising feedstock for biodiesel production...
- Structural evidence of a new catalytic intermediate in the pathway of ATP hydrolysis by F1-ATPase from bovine heart mitochondriaDavid M Rees
Medical Research Council Mitochondrial Biology Unit, Cambridge CB2 2XY, United Kingdom
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 109:11139-43. 2012..During hydrolysis of ATP, the rotor turns counterclockwise (as viewed from the membrane domain of the intact enzyme) in 120° ..
- Biocatalysis--key to sustainable industrial chemistryRoland Wohlgemuth
Sigma Aldrich, Industriestrasse 25, CH 9470 Buchs, Switzerland
Curr Opin Biotechnol 21:713-24. 2010..The understanding of the catalytic functions of known and new enzymes is key for the development of new sustainable chemical transformations...
- Phosphate release in F1-ATPase catalytic cycle follows ADP releaseRikiya Watanabe
Institute of Scientific and Industrial Research, Osaka University, Osaka, Japan
Nat Chem Biol 6:814-20. 2010..Here we addressed this issue by verifying the reversibility of ATP hydrolysis on arrested F(1) with magnetic tweezers...
- Altered glucosinolate hydrolysis in genetically engineered Arabidopsis thaliana and its influence on the larval development of Spodoptera littoralisMeike Burow
Department of Biochemistry, Max Planck Institute for Chemical Ecology, Beutenberg Campus, Hans Knöll Str 8, D 07745, Jena, Germany
J Chem Ecol 32:2333-49. 2006..defense system found in plants of the order Capparales is heavily influenced by the types of hydrolysis products (e.g. isothiocyanates, nitriles) formed from the parent glucosinolates upon plant damage...
- The ancestral role of ATP hydrolysis in type II topoisomerases: prevention of DNA double-strand breaksAndrew D Bates
Institute of Integrative Biology, University of Liverpool, Biosciences Building, Crown Street, Liverpool L69 7ZB, UK
Nucleic Acids Res 39:6327-39. 2011..II topos hydrolyse ATP during their reactions; however, only DNA gyrase is able to harness the free energy of hydrolysis to drive DNA supercoiling, an energetically unfavourable process...
- High-speed atomic force microscopy reveals rotary catalysis of rotorless F₁-ATPaseTakayuki Uchihashi
Department of Physics, Kanazawa University, Kakuma machi, Kanazawa 920 1192, Japan
Science 333:755-8. 2011..torque-generating β subunits in the α(3)β(3) stator ring sequentially undergo conformational changes upon ATP hydrolysis to rotate the central shaft γ unidirectionally...
- A pseudoatomic model of the dynamin polymer identifies a hydrolysis-dependent powerstrokeJoshua S Chappie
Laboratory of Molecular Biology, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, NIH, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Cell 147:209-22. 2011..Structural comparison of GG(GMPPCP) to the GG transition-state complex identifies a hydrolysis-dependent powerstroke that may play a role in membrane-remodeling events necessary for fission.
- A motif unique to the human DEAD-box protein DDX3 is important for nucleic acid binding, ATP hydrolysis, RNA/DNA unwinding and HIV-1 replicationAnna Garbelli
Institute of Molecular Genetics, National Research Council, Pavia, Italy
PLoS ONE 6:e19810. 2011....
- Identification of residues in chromodomain helicase DNA-binding protein 1 (Chd1) required for coupling ATP hydrolysis to nucleosome slidingAshok Patel
T C Jenkins Department of Biophysics, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland 21218 2685, USA
J Biol Chem 286:43984-93. 2011..These residues therefore appear to play a role in functionally coupling ATP hydrolysis to nucleosome sliding, and suggest that the ATPase motor requires cooperation with external elements to slide ..
- Cooperative assembly and dynamic disassembly of MDA5 filaments for viral dsRNA recognitionAlys Peisley
The Immune Disease Institute, Children s Hospital Boston, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 108:21010-5. 2011..Binding of MDA5 to dsRNA stimulates its ATP hydrolysis activity with little coordination between neighboring molecules within a filament...
- Cryo-EM structure of a group II chaperonin in the prehydrolysis ATP-bound state leading to lid closureJunjie Zhang
Verna and Marrs McLean Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, National Center for Macromolecular Imaging, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Structure 19:633-9. 2011..Structural comparison of Mm-cpn in ATP-free, ATP-bound, and ATP-hydrolysis states reveals that ATP binding alone causes the chaperonin to close slightly with a ∼45° counterclockwise ..
- Effect of acid and base catalyzed hydrolysis on the yield of phenolics and antioxidant activity of extracts from germinated brown rice (GBR)Ismaila Muhammad Sani
Laboratory of Molecular Biomedicine, Institute of Bioscience, UniversitiPutra Malaysia, Serdang 43400, Selangor, Malaysia
Molecules 17:7584-94. 2012The influence of both acidic and basic hydrolysis on the yield, total phenolic content and antioxidative capacity of methanolic extract of germinated brown rice (GBR) was studied...
- How a DNA polymerase clamp loader opens a sliding clampBrian A Kelch
Department of Molecular and Cell Biology and California Institute for Quantitative Biosciences, University of California, Berkeley, CA 94720, USA
Science 334:1675-80. 2011..The structures explain how synergy among the loader, the clamp, and DNA can trigger ATP hydrolysis and release of the closed clamp on DNA.
- Functional reconstitution of an atypical G protein heterotrimer and regulator of G protein signaling protein (RGS1) from Arabidopsis thalianaJanice C Jones
Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599, USA
J Biol Chem 286:13143-50. 2011..We show further that the full-length AtRGS1 protein accelerates GTP hydrolysis and thereby counteracts the fast nucleotide exchange rate of AtGPA1...
- Role of the D-loops in allosteric control of ATP hydrolysis in an ABC transporterPeter M Jones
School of Medical and Molecular Biosciences, and iThree Institute, University of Technology Sydney, P O Box 123, Broadway, NSW 2007, Australia
J Phys Chem A 116:3004-13. 2012ABC transporters couple ATP hydrolysis to movement of substrates across cell membranes. They comprise two transmembrane domains and two cytosolic nucleotide-binding domains forming two active sites that hydrolyze ATP cooperatively...
- The role of ATP in the reactions of type II DNA topoisomerasesAndrew D Bates
School of Biological Sciences, University of Liverpool, Crown Street, Liverpool L69 7ZB, UK
Biochem Soc Trans 38:438-42. 2010Type II DNA topoisomerases catalyse changes in DNA topology in reactions coupled to the hydrolysis of ATP. In the case of DNA gyrase, which can introduce supercoils into DNA, the requirement for free energy is clear...
- Comparative enzymology in the alkaline phosphatase superfamily to determine the catalytic role of an active-site metal ionJesse G Zalatan
Department of Chemistry, Stanford University, Beckman Center B400, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
J Mol Biol 384:1174-89. 2008..These results establish a new mechanistic model for this prototypical bimetallo enzyme and demonstrate the power of a comparative approach for probing biochemical function...
- Efficient phagocytosis requires triacylglycerol hydrolysis by adipose triglyceride lipasePrakash G Chandak
Institute of Molecular Biology and Biochemistry, Center of Molecular Medicine, Medical University of Graz, Harrachgasse 21, 8010 Graz, Austria
J Biol Chem 285:20192-201. 2010..ATGL was shown to be the rate-limiting enzyme for the hydrolysis of lipid droplet-associated triacylglycerol (TG) in many tissues...
- OPA1 disease alleles causing dominant optic atrophy have defects in cardiolipin-stimulated GTP hydrolysis and membrane tubulationTadato Ban
Division of Biology, California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, CA 91125, USA
Hum Mol Genet 19:2113-22. 2010..Here we show that OPA1 has a low basal rate of GTP hydrolysis that is dramatically enhanced by association with liposomes containing negative phospholipids such as ..
- HIV-1 protease cleaves eukaryotic initiation factor 4G and inhibits cap-dependent translationI Ventoso
Centro de Biologia Molecular Severo Ochoa, Universidad Autonoma de Madrid, Facultad de Ciencias, Cantoblanco, 28049 Madrid, Spain
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 98:12966-71. 2001..These findings indicate that HIV-1, a member of retrovirus group, shares with picornaviruses the capacity to proteolyze eIF4G...
- Counting RAD51 proteins disassembling from nucleoprotein filaments under tensionJoost van Mameren
Laser Centre and Department of Physics and Astronomy, VU University, De Boelelaan 1081, 1081 HV, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Nature 457:745-8. 2009..microfluidics, that disassembly of human RAD51 nucleoprotein filaments results from the interplay between ATP hydrolysis and the release of the tension stored in the filament...
- Soluble NTPDase: An additional system of nucleotide hydrolysis in rat blood serumJean Pierre Oses
Departamento de Bioquimica, Instituto de Ciencias Basicas da Saude, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil
Life Sci 74:3275-84. 2004The participation of a nucleoside triphosphate diphosphohydrolase in the nucleotide hydrolysis by rat blood serum was evaluated...
- The Rap-RapGAP complex: GTP hydrolysis without catalytic glutamine and arginine residuesAndrea Scrima
Department of Structural Biology, Max Planck Institute of Molecular Physiology, Dortmund, Germany
EMBO J 27:1145-53. 2008..The structure and biochemical data furthermore show that the RapGAP homologous region of the tumour suppressor Tuberin is sufficient for catalysis on Rheb...
- How do type II topoisomerases use ATP hydrolysis to simplify DNA topology beyond equilibrium? Investigating the relaxation reaction of nonsupercoiling type II topoisomerasesTanya Stuchinskaya
Department of Biological Chemistry, John Innes Centre, Colney, Norwich, UK
J Mol Biol 385:1397-408. 2009..circle size in the range approximately 2-9 kbp and is not altered by reducing the free energy available from ATP hydrolysis by varying the ADP:ATP ratio. A direct test of one model (DNA tracking; i.e...
- Transition state analysis of the coupling of drug transport to ATP hydrolysis by P-glycoproteinMarwan K Al-Shawi
Department of Molecular Physiology and Biological Physics, University of Virginia Health System, Charlottesville, Virginia 22908 0736, USA
J Biol Chem 278:52629-40. 2003..between drug-binding sites and ATP hydrolytic sites, we performed steady-state thermodynamic analyses of ATP hydrolysis in the presence and absence of transport substrates...
- D1-like dopaminergic activation of phosphoinositide hydrolysis is independent of D1A dopamine receptors: evidence from D1A knockout miceE Friedman
Department of Pharmacology, MCP Hahnemann School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19129, USA
Mol Pharmacol 51:6-11. 1997..The receptor that mediates the hydrolysis of phosphoinositides has not been identified...
- Functional assembly of minicellulosomes on the Saccharomyces cerevisiae cell surface for cellulose hydrolysis and ethanol productionShen Long Tsai
Department of Chemical and Environmental Engineering, University of California at Riverside, California 92521, USA
Appl Environ Microbiol 75:6087-93. 2009..The displayed minicellulosome retained the synergistic effect for cellulose hydrolysis. When a beta-glucosidase (BglA) from C. thermocellum tagged with the dockerin from R...
- The ABC transporter structure and mechanism: perspectives on recent researchP M Jones
Department of Cell and Molecular Biology, University of Technology Sydney, Broadway, NSW, Australia
Cell Mol Life Sci 61:682-99. 2004ATP-binding cassette (ABC) transporters are multidomain integral membrane proteins that utilise the energy of ATP hydrolysis to translocate solutes across cellular membranes in all phyla...
- Retroviral integrase superfamily: the structural perspectiveMarcin Nowotny
Laboratory of Protein Structure, International Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology, 4 Ks Trojdena Street, 02 109, Warsaw, Poland
EMBO Rep 10:144-51. 2009....
- Purification and characterization of tannase from Paecilomyces variotii: hydrolysis of tannic acid using immobilized tannaseB Mahendran
Department of Earth and Environmental Sciences, Korea University, Seoul, Republic of Korea
Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 70:444-50. 2006..Thin layer chromatography, high performance liquid chromatography, and (1)H-nuclear magnetic resonance spectral analysis confirmed that gallic acid was formed as a byproduct during hydrolysis of tannic acid.
- The ubiquitin-proteasome pathway plays an essential role in proteolysis during Trypanosoma cruzi remodelingJ L de Diego
Michael Heidelberger Division, Pathology Department, New York University School of Medicine, New York, New York 10016, USA
Biochemistry 40:1053-62. 2001..As expected from the profound morphological changes that occur during transformation, cytoskeletal proteins associated with the flagellum are targets of the ubiquitin-proteasome pathway...
- Structure-reactivity studies of serum paraoxonase PON1 suggest that its native activity is lactonaseOlga Khersonsky
Department of Biological Chemistry, Weizmann Institute of Science, Rehovot 76100, Israel
Biochemistry 44:6371-82. 2005..We found that the hydrolysis of aryl esters is governed primarily by steric factors and not the pK(a) of the leaving group...
- Effect of xylan and lignin removal by batch and flowthrough pretreatment on the enzymatic digestibility of corn stover celluloseBin Yang
Thayer School of Engineering, Dartmouth College, 8000 Cummings Hall, Hanover, New Hampshire 03755, USA
Biotechnol Bioeng 86:88-95. 2004..Although the enzymatic hydrolysis of pretreated cellulose was related to xylan removal, as others have shown, the digestibility was much better ..
- Dynamin GTPase domain mutants that differentially affect GTP binding, GTP hydrolysis, and clathrin-mediated endocytosisByeong Doo Song
Department of Cell Biology, The Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, California 92037, USA
J Biol Chem 279:40431-6. 2004..Unlike most GTPases, dynamin has a low affinity for nucleotide, a high rate of GTP hydrolysis, and can self-assemble, forming higher order structures such as rings and spirals that exhibit up to 100-fold ..
- Probing the two-gate mechanism of DNA gyrase using cysteine cross-linkingN L Williams
Department of Biochemistry, University of Leicester, U K
Biochemistry 38:13502-11. 1999..This indicates that passage of DNA through the bottom dimer interface is not essential for this reaction. The mechanistic implications of these results are discussed...
- A mechanistic model of the enzymatic hydrolysis of celluloseSeth E Levine
Energy Biosciences Institute, Department of Chemical Engineering, University of California Berkeley, 94720, USA
Biotechnol Bioeng 107:37-51. 2010A detailed mechanistic model of enzymatic cellulose hydrolysis has been developed. The behavior of individual cellulase enzymes and parameters describing the cellulose surface properties are included...
- Autohydrolysis pretreatment of coastal Bermuda grass for increased enzyme hydrolysisJung Myoung Lee
Department of Wood and Paper Science, North Carolina State University, Campus Box 8005, Raleigh, NC 27695 8005, USA
Bioresour Technol 100:6434-41. 2009..3 g in the enzyme hydrolyzate. The conversion efficiency could be further improved by optimizing enzyme dosages and xylanases:cellulases ratio and pretreatment conditions to minimize sugar degradation...
- The structural basis for T-antigen hydrolysis by Streptococcus pneumoniae: a target for structure-based vaccine designMatthew E C Caines
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Centre for Blood Research and Department of Chemistry, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia, V6T 1Z3
J Biol Chem 283:31279-83. 2008..Our analysis presents a complete model of glycoprotein recognition and provides a basis for the structure-based design of novel Streptococcus vaccines and therapeutics...
- Hydrolysis of tannic acid catalyzed by immobilized-stabilized derivatives of Tannase from Lactobacillus plantarumJose Antonio Curiel
Instituto de Fermentaciones Industriales, CSIC, 28006 Madrid, Spain
J Agric Food Chem 58:6403-9. 2010..In addition, up to 70 mg of pure enzyme was immobilized on 1 g of wet support. The hydrolysis of tannic acid was optimized by using the new immobilized tannase derivative...
- Combined sugar yields for dilute sulfuric acid pretreatment of corn stover followed by enzymatic hydrolysis of the remaining solidsTodd A Lloyd
Thayer School of Engineering, Dartmouth College, 8000 Cummings Hall, Hanover, NH 03755, United States
Bioresour Technol 96:1967-77. 2005..and between 15% and 90+% of the xylose remaining in the solid residue could be recovered in subsequent enzymatic hydrolysis, depending on the enzyme loading...
- Daughter cell separation is controlled by cytokinetic ring-activated cell wall hydrolysisTsuyoshi Uehara
Department of Microbiology and Molecular Genetics, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
EMBO J 29:1412-22. 2010..Overall, our results suggest that cellular amidase activity is regulated spatially and temporally by coupling their activation to the assembly of the cytokinetic ring...
- Effect of hemicellulose and lignin removal on enzymatic hydrolysis of steam pretreated corn stoverKarin Ohgren
Department of Chemical Engineering, Lund University, SE 221 00 Lund, Sweden
Bioresour Technol 98:2503-10. 2007Ethanol can be produced from lignocellulosic biomass using steam pretreatment followed by enzymatic hydrolysis and fermentation...
- Structural details and composition of Trichomonas vaginalis lipophosphoglycan in relevance to the epithelial immune functionBibhuti N Singh
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, SUNY Upstate Medical University, 750 E Adams St, Syracuse, NY 13210, USA
Glycoconj J 26:3-17. 2009..Mild acid hydrolysis led to products rich in internal deoxyhexose residues...
- The characterization of pretreated lignocellulosic substrates prior to enzymatic hydrolysis, part 1: a modified Simons' staining techniqueRichard Chandra
Dept of Wood Science, Faculty of Forestry, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC, Canada
Biotechnol Prog 24:1178-85. 2008..regarding the key features of pretreated lignocellulosic substrates that promote the effective enzymatic hydrolysis of the cellulose component to glucose during bioconversion processes to produce ethanol...
- Ribosome-induced changes in elongation factor Tu conformation control GTP hydrolysisElizabeth Villa
Beckman Institute, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, Urbana, IL 61801, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 106:1063-8. 2009..The model reveals the conformational changes in the conserved GTPase switch regions of EF-Tu that trigger hydrolysis of GTP, along with key interactions, including those between the sarcin-ricin loop and the P loop of EF-Tu, and ..
- Male infertility-linked point mutation disrupts the Ca2+ oscillation-inducing and PIP(2) hydrolysis activity of sperm PLCζMichail Nomikos
Cell Signalling Laboratory, Wales Heart Research Institute, Cardiff University School of Medicine, Cardiff CF14 4XN, UK
Biochem J 434:211-7. 2011..introduced into mouse PLCζ completely abolishes both in vitro PIP(2) (phosphatidylinositol 4,5-bisphosphate) hydrolysis activity and the ability to trigger in vivo Ca2+ oscillations in mouse eggs...
- Substrate recognition and hydrolysis by a fungal xyloglucan-specific family 12 hydrolaseJustin Powlowski
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, Concordia University, 7141 Sherbrooke St West, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4B 1R6
Carbohydr Res 344:1175-9. 2009..AnXEG12A did not hydrolyze XXXXXXXG, consistent with other data that demonstrate the requirement for an unbranched glucose residue for hydrolysis by this enzyme.
- Coordination of substrate binding and ATP hydrolysis in Vps4-mediated ESCRT-III disassemblyBrian A Davies
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Mol Biol Cell 21:3396-408. 2010..The AAA-ATPase Vps4 is required for ESCRT-III disassembly, however the coordination of Vps4 ATP hydrolysis with ESCRT-III binding and disassembly is not understood...
- Alterations of cell wall structure and metabolism accompany reduced susceptibility to vancomycin in an isogenic series of clinical isolates of Staphylococcus aureusK Sieradzki
The Rockefeller University, New York, New York 10021, USA
J Bacteriol 185:7103-10. 2003..Resistant isolates showed reduced rates of cell wall turnover and autolysis. In vitro hydrolysis of resistant cell walls by autolytic extracts prepared from either susceptible or resistant strains was also ..
- Molecular Modulation of Catalytic Sites of Escherichia coli F1Fo ATP SynthaseZulfiqar Ahmad; Fiscal Year: 2009..F1 has five subunits, namely 1323345, and Fo three subunits, namely ab2c10. ATP hydrolysis and synthesis occur on three catalytic sites in the F1 sector, whereas proton transport occurs through membrane ..
- PHYSICAL CHEMISTRY OF BILIRUBIN & ITS CONJUGATESWILLIAM SPIVAK; Fiscal Year: 1990..and premature neonates who are particularly prone to cholestasis, undergoes non-enzymatic alkaline aqueous hydrolysis to insoluble UCB in model bile systems (and in guinea pig bile) much more rapidly than bilirubin diglucuronide (..
- High throughput screening assays to identify small molecules that target the ClpXCarolyn K Suzuki; Fiscal Year: 2010..a unique family of proteolytic enzymes that require energy to unfold protein substrates prior to peptide bond hydrolysis. In the cytosol and nucleus, the 26S proteasome is the only ATP-dependent protease, which functions to eliminate ..
- Role of Phospholipase C in Transcriptional RegulationAles Vancura; Fiscal Year: 2009..InsPs are generated by phospholipase C (PLC) - dependent pathway that starts with PLC-catalyzed hydrolysis of phosphatidylinositol 4,5-bisphosphate [PtdIns(4,5)P2] to yield inositol 1,4,5-trisphosphate [Ins(1,4,5)P3] ..
- ATP LINKED EFFECTORS OF NA+, K+ ATPASE AND CATARACTSMARGARET GARNER; Fiscal Year: 2001..ATP hydrolysis by the Na, K-ATPase of the lens epithelium is altered in a majority of human cataract lenses...
- GATING OF THE CFTR CL CHANNEL BY ATP HYDROLYSISTzyh Chang Hwang; Fiscal Year: 1999The goal of this project is to understand how hydrolysis of ATP is coupled to the gating of the Cystic Fibrosis Transmembrane conductance Regulator (CFTR) Cl channel in isolated guinea pig ventricular myocytes and in various cell lines ..
- DYNAMICS OF MICROTUBULE ASSEMBLY/DISASSEMBLYJOHN CORREIA; Fiscal Year: 1993The long range goal of the proposed research is a detailed molecular understanding of the mechanism of GTP hydrolysis and its relation to the dynamics of microtubule assembly/disassembly...
- BIOENERGETICS AND PROTON PUMPS IN MALARIA PARASITESAkhil Vaidya; Fiscal Year: 2007..The vacuolar pyrophosphatases (V-PPases) of plants couple the energy generated by hydrolysis of the phosphoanhydride bond of inorganic pyrophosphate (PP_) to pump H [unreadable] across the vacuolar ..
- BIOPHYSICAL AND SCANNING FORCE MICROSCOPY STUDIESDOROTHY ERIE; Fiscal Year: 2001..Such lesions result from a variety of endogenous and exogenous agents that cause the oxidation, alkylation, or hydrolysis of bases...
- PROTON TRANSLOCATING SECTOR OF E COLI H+ ATPASEROBERT FILLINGAME; Fiscal Year: 2003..The enzyme is made up of two sectors. F1 lies at the membrane surface, and on isolation catalyzes ATP hydrolysis. F-o extends through the membrane and functions in H+ transport...
- LIPID AND PROTEIN PO4 TURNOVER IN IRIS OF THE EYEATA ABDEL LATIF; Fiscal Year: 1999..goals of this research proposal are: (a) to investigate the role of phosphatidylinositol 4,5-bisphosphate (PIP2) hydrolysis and its derived second messengers in agonist-induced muscle contraction in the sphincter and dilator smooth ..
- Mechanism of Thin Filament Regulation of Cardiac Actomyosin HydrolysisHoward White; Fiscal Year: 2009..methods and electron microscopy to determine the mechanism of thin filament regulation of cardiac actomyosin ATP hydrolysis. Most biochemistry and physiology textbooks depict a "steric blocking" mechanism of thin filament regulation in ..
- Structural Comparison of Strongly-Bound Actomyosin StatesDorit Hanein; Fiscal Year: 2009..The cyclic, ATP-hydrolysis-driven interaction of myosin with filamentous actin (F-actin) has been implicated in a variety of intracellular ..