Genomes and Genes
Summary: A physical property showing different values in relation to the direction in or along which the measurement is made. The physical property may be with regard to thermal or electric conductivity or light refraction. In crystallography, it describes crystals whose index of refraction varies with the direction of the incident light. It is also called acolotropy and colotropy. The opposite of anisotropy is isotropy wherein the same values characterize the object when measured along axes in all directions.
Publications395 found, 100 shown here
- The basis of anisotropic water diffusion in the nervous system - a technical reviewChristian Beaulieu
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Faculty of Medicine, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada
NMR Biomed 15:435-55. 2002..review is to characterize the relationship of nuclear magnetic resonance measurements of water diffusion and its anisotropy (i.e. directional dependence) with the underlying microstructure of neural fibres...
- Characterization and propagation of uncertainty in diffusion-weighted MR imagingT E J Behrens
Oxford Centre for Functional Magnetic Resonance Imaging of the Brain FMRIB, Oxford, UK
Magn Reson Med 50:1077-88. 2003..This technique is then applied to the estimation of the cortical connectivity of the human thalamus. The resulting connectivity distributions correspond well with predictions from invasive tracer methods in nonhuman primate...
- Reproducibility of quantitative tractography methods applied to cerebral white matterSetsu Wakana
F M Kirby Center for Functional Brain Imaging, Kennedy Krieger Institute Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Neuroimage 36:630-44. 2007..The protocols were applied to a DTI database of adult normal subjects to study size, fractional anisotropy (FA), and T2 of individual white matter tracts...
- Diffusion tensor imaging of the brainAndrew L Alexander
Department of Medical Physics, University of Wisconsin Madison, Madison, Wisconsin 53706, USA
Neurotherapeutics 4:316-29. 2007..The diffusion tensor may be used to characterize the magnitude, the degree of anisotropy, and the orientation of directional diffusion...
- Direct estimation of the fiber orientation density function from diffusion-weighted MRI data using spherical deconvolutionJ Donald Tournier
Radiology and Physics Unit, Institute of Child Health, University College London, and Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children NHS Trust, London, WC1N 1EH, UK
Neuroimage 23:1176-85. 2004..in the brain share identical diffusion characteristics, thus implicitly assigning any differences in diffusion anisotropy to partial volume effects...
- Virtual in vivo interactive dissection of white matter fasciculi in the human brainMarco Catani
Section of Old Age Psychiatry, Institute of Psychiatry, De Crespigny Park, London SE5 8AF, United Kingdom
Neuroimage 17:77-94. 2002....
- White matter damage and cognitive impairment after traumatic brain injuryKirsi Maria Kinnunen
Department of Psychology, Goldsmiths, University of London, London, UK
Brain 134:449-63. 2011..Analysis of fractional anisotropy and diffusivity maps revealed widespread differences in white matter integrity between the groups...
- Topography of the human corpus callosum revisited--comprehensive fiber tractography using diffusion tensor magnetic resonance imagingSabine Hofer
Biomedizinische NMR Forschungs GmbH am Max Planck Institut für biophysikalische Chemie, 37070 Gottingen, Germany
Neuroimage 32:989-94. 2006..be in qualitative agreement with differences in the microstructure of transcallosal fibers yielding the highest anisotropy in posterior regions of the CC...
- Fiber tracking: principles and strategies - a technical reviewSusumu Mori
Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Department of Radiology and Radiological Science, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
NMR Biomed 15:468-80. 2002..Special attention is paid to situations where complications may arise, and possible solutions are reviewed. Validation issues and potential future directions and improvements are also discussed...
- RESTORE: robust estimation of tensors by outlier rejectionLin Ching Chang
Section on Tissue Biophysics and Biomimetics, Laboratory of Integrative Medicine and Biophysics, National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Magn Reson Med 53:1088-95. 2005..In this paper, the effects of DWI artifacts on estimated tensor values, such as trace and fractional anisotropy, are analyzed using Monte Carlo simulations...
- Concomitant fractional anisotropy and volumetric abnormalities in temporal lobe epilepsy: cross-sectional evidence for progressive neurologic injurySimon S Keller
Department of Neurology, University of Munster, Munster, Germany Department of Clinical Neuroscience, Institute of Psychiatry, King s College London, London, United Kingdom
PLoS ONE 7:e46791. 2012..However, little is known about the relation between macroscopic atrophy (revealed by volumetric MRI) and microstructural degeneration (inferred by DTI)...
- The effect of filter size on VBM analyses of DT-MRI dataDerek K Jones
Neuroimaging Research Group, Centre for Neuroimaging Sciences, Institute of Psychiatry, London, UK
Neuroimage 26:546-54. 2005....
- Multiple DTI index analysis in normal aging, amnestic MCI and AD. Relationship with neuropsychological performanceBeatriz Bosch
Alzheimer s Disease and Other Cognitive Disorders Unit, Neurology Service, Hospital Clinic de Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain
Neurobiol Aging 33:61-74. 2012..tract based spatial-statistics (TBSS) was used to obtain whole-brain maps of main WM bundles for fractional anisotropy (FA), radial diffusivity (DR), axial diffusivity (DA) and mean diffusivity (MD)...
- Meta-analysis of diffusion tensor imaging studies in schizophreniaIan Ellison-Wright
Avon and Wiltshire Mental Health Partnership NHS Trust, Salisbury, United Kingdom
Schizophr Res 108:3-10. 2009..A systematic search was conducted for voxel-based diffusion tensor imaging fractional anisotropy studies of patients with schizophrenia (or related disorders) in relation to comparison groups...
- Age-related alterations in white matter microstructure measured by diffusion tensor imagingD H Salat
MGH MIT HMS Athinoula A Martinos Center for Biomedical Imaging, Charlestown, MA 02129 2060, USA
Neurobiol Aging 26:1215-27. 2005..Maps of fractional anisotropy (FA), a measure of WM microstructure, were calculated for each participant to determine whether particular fiber ..
- Gray and white matter asymmetries in healthy individuals aged 21-29 years: a voxel-based morphometry and diffusion tensor imaging studyHidemasa Takao
Department of Radiology, Graduate School of Medicine, University of Tokyo, 7 3 1 Hongo, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo, Japan
Hum Brain Mapp 32:1762-73. 2011..VBM and voxel-based analysis of fractional anisotropy (FA) maps derived from DTI revealed a number of gray matter volume asymmetries (including the right frontal and ..
- Default mode network functional and structural connectivity after traumatic brain injuryDavid J Sharp
The Hammersmith Hospital, London, W12 0NN, UK
Brain 134:2233-47. 2011..They can be explained by two related changes: a compensatory increase in functional connectivity within the default mode network; and a variable degree of structural disconnection that modulates this change in network function...
- Nerve fiber impairment of anterior thalamocortical circuitry in juvenile myoclonic epilepsyM Deppe
Department of Neurology, University of Muenster, Albert Schweitzer Str 33, 48129 Muenster, Germany
Neurology 71:1981-5. 2008..Juvenile myoclonic epilepsy (JME) is a syndrome of idiopathic generalized epilepsy (IGE) without structural brain abnormalities detectable by MRI or CT...
- Analysis of partial volume effects in diffusion-tensor MRIA L Alexander
Department of Medical Physics, University of Wisconsin, Madison 53705 2280, USA
Magn Reson Med 45:770-80. 2001..More accurate measurements of multiple diffusion compartments may lead to improved confidence in diffusion measurements for clinical applications...
- Water diffusion changes in Wallerian degeneration and their dependence on white matter architectureC Pierpaoli
National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892-5772, USA
Neuroimage 13:1174-85. 2001..We found that secondary white matter degeneration is revealed by a large reduction in diffusion anisotropy only in regions where fibers are arranged in isolated bundles of parallel fibers, such as in the cerebral ..
- Extensive piano practicing has regionally specific effects on white matter developmentSara L Bengtsson
Department of Woman and Child Health, Karolinska Institutet, SE 171 77, Stockholm, Sweden
Nat Neurosci 8:1148-50. 2005..Long-term training within critical developmental periods may thus induce regionally specific plasticity in myelinating tracts...
- A developmental study of the structural integrity of white matter in autismTimothy A Keller
Center for Cognitive Brain Imaging, Department of Psychology, Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
Neuroreport 18:23-7. 2007..Participants with autism had lower fractional anisotropy in areas within and near the corpus callosum and in the right retrolenticular portion of the internal capsule...
- Diffusion tensor imaging in preclinical and presymptomatic carriers of familial Alzheimer's disease mutationsJohn M Ringman
UCLA Department of Neurology, Alzheimer s Disease Research Center, 10911 Weyburn Ave, Suite 200, Los Angeles, CA 90095 7226, USA
Brain 130:1767-76. 2007..We compared global and localized fractional anisotropy (FA) measures in white matter between FAD mutation carriers and non-carriers in the preclinical (clinical ..
- White matter tract integrity in aging and Alzheimer's diseaseJessica S Damoiseaux
Department of Neurology, VU University Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Hum Brain Mapp 30:1051-9. 2009..Here we used diffusion tensor imaging (DTI) to obtain fractional anisotropy (FA) measures of the WM in healthy young (n = 8), healthy elderly (n = 22), MCI (n = 8), and AD patients (n = 16)..
- Axial diffusivity is the primary correlate of axonal injury in the experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis spinal cord: a quantitative pixelwise analysisMatthew D Budde
Department of Radiology, Washington University, St Louis, Missouri 63110, USA
J Neurosci 29:2805-13. 2009..In contrast, although anisotropy was significantly correlated with EAE score, it was not correlated with axonal damage...
- The influence of spatial registration on detection of cerebral asymmetries using voxel-based statistics of fractional anisotropy images and TBSSSiawoosh Mohammadi
Department of Neurology, University of Munster, Munster, Germany
PLoS ONE 7:e36851. 2012..white matter alterations has motivated the application of voxel-based statistics (VBS) to fractional anisotropy (FA) images (FA-VBS). However, detected group differences may depend on the spatial registration method used...
- White matter development during childhood and adolescence: a cross-sectional diffusion tensor imaging studyNaama Barnea-Goraly
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA 94305, and Department of Psychology, Children s Hospital of Orange County, Orange, CA 92868, USA
Cereb Cortex 15:1848-54. 2005..In this study, we investigate white matter maturation as reflected by changes in anisotropy and white matter density with age...
- Radial organization of developing preterm human cerebral cortex revealed by non-invasive water diffusion anisotropy MRIRobert C McKinstry
Mallinckrodt Institute of Radiology, St Louis Children s Hospital at the Washington University Medical Center, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Cereb Cortex 12:1237-43. 2002..Apparent diffusion of water in cortex is maximally anisotropic at 26 weeks GA and anisotropy values approach zero by 36 weeks GA...
- Cognitive status correlates with white matter alteration in Parkinson's diseaseTakaaki Hattori
Department of Neurology and Neurological Sciences, Graduate School, Tokyo Medical and Dental University, Tokyo, Japan
Hum Brain Mapp 33:727-39. 2012..Fractional anisotropy (FA) map of a patient group was compared with that of control subjects by using tract-based spatial statistics...
- Diffuse axonal injury in mild traumatic brain injury: a diffusion tensor imaging studyMatilde Inglese
Department of Radiology, New York University School of Medicine, New York, New York 10016, USA
J Neurosurg 103:298-303. 2005..Although DAI is frequently underdiagnosed by conventional imaging modalities, it can be demonstrated using diffusion tensor imaging. The aim of this study was to assess the presence and extent of DAI in patients with mild TBI...
- Effect of cell anisotropy on differentiation of stem cells on micropatterned surfaces through the controlled single cell adhesionRong Peng
Key Laboratory of Molecular Engineering of Polymers of Ministry of Education, Department of Macromolecular Science, Advanced Materials Laboratory, Fudan University, Shanghai 200433, China
Biomaterials 32:8048-57. 2011..We further interpreted the optimal ratios as reflecting the inherent global anisotropy of free adipoblasts and osteoblasts on unpatterned culture plates...
- Default mode network connectivity predicts sustained attention deficits after traumatic brain injuryValerie Bonnelle
The Computational, Cognitive and Clinical Neuroimaging Laboratory, Centre for Neuroscience, Division of Experimental Medicine and The Medical Research Council Clinical Sciences Centre, Imperial College London, London W120NN, United Kingdom
J Neurosci 31:13442-51. 2011..These results show that abnormalities in DMN function are a sensitive marker of impairments of attention and suggest that changes in connectivity within the DMN are central to the development of attentional impairment after TBI...
- Anisotropy in high angular resolution diffusion-weighted MRIL R Frank
Department of Radiology, San Diego VA Healthcare System and University of California-San Diego, San Diego, California 92161, USA
Magn Reson Med 45:935-9. 2001..We present here a simple algorithm for the identification of diffusion anisotropy based upon the variance of the estimated apparent diffusion coefficient (ADC) as a function of measurement ..
- Diffusion tensor imaging as potential biomarker of white matter injury in diffuse axonal injuryThierry A G M Huisman
MGH NMR Center, Division of Neuroradiology, Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 25:370-6. 2004..Our objective was to determine if changes in anisotropic diffusion in TBI correlate with acute Glasgow coma scale (GCS) and/or Rankin scores at discharge...
- Regionally-specific diffusion tensor imaging in mild cognitive impairment and Alzheimer's diseaseM M Mielke
Department of Psychiatry, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21224, USA
Neuroimage 46:47-55. 2009....
- Men and women are different: diffusion tensor imaging reveals sexual dimorphism in the microstructure of the thalamus, corpus callosum and cingulumK Menzler
Philipps University Marburg, Center of Brain Imaging, Department of Neurology, Marburg, Germany
Neuroimage 54:2557-62. 2011..In the present study, we used diffusion tensor imaging (DTI) to delineate sex differences of brain white matter...
- High-resolution diffusion tensor imaging in the substantia nigra of de novo Parkinson diseaseD E Vaillancourt
Department of Kinesiology and Nutrition, University of Illinois at Chicago, 1919 West Taylor, 650 AHSB, MC 994, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Neurology 72:1378-84. 2009....
- Age-related differences in multiple measures of white matter integrity: A diffusion tensor imaging study of healthy agingIlana J Bennett
Department of Psychology, Georgetown University, Washington, District of Columbia 20057, USA
Hum Brain Mapp 31:378-90. 2010..two global measures of integrity; the average rate (mean diffusivity, MD) and orientation coherence (fractional anisotropy, FA) of diffusion...
- White matter integrity and cognition in chronic traumatic brain injury: a diffusion tensor imaging studyMarilyn F Kraus
Department of Psychiatry, University of Illinois at Chicago Medical Center, Chicago, IL, USA
Brain 130:2508-19. 2007..Twenty mild, 17 moderate to severe TBI and 18 controls underwent DTI and neuropsychological testing. Fractional anisotropy, axial diffusivity and radial diffusivity were calculated from the DTI data...
- Spinal cord spectroscopy and diffusion-based tractography to assess acute disability in multiple sclerosisO Ciccarelli
Department of Brain Repair and Rehabilitation, Institute of Neurology, University College London, London, UK
Brain 130:2220-31. 2007..Diffusion- and tractography-derived measures of these tracts, including fractional anisotropy and voxel-based connectivity, which reflect fibre integrity, were obtained...
- Quantitative fiber tracking of lateral and interhemispheric white matter systems in normal aging: relations to timed performanceEdith V Sullivan
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Stanford University School of Medicine MC5723, 401 Quarry Road, Stanford, CA 94305 5723, United States
Neurobiol Aging 31:464-81. 2010..Fiber integrity was measured as orientational diffusion coherence (fractional anisotropy, FA) and magnitude of diffusion, which was quantified separately for longitudinal diffusivity (lambdaL), an ..
- Age-related decline in brain white matter anisotropy measured with spatially corrected echo-planar diffusion tensor imagingA Pfefferbaum
Neuropsychiatry Program, SRI International, Menlo Park, California 94025, USA
Magn Reson Med 44:259-68. 2000..spatial distortion, polynomial warping corrections were applied and the effects tested on measures of fractional anisotropy (FA) in the genu and splenium of corpus callosum...
- White matter anisotropy in the ventral language pathway predicts sound-to-word learning successFrancis C K Wong
The Roxelyn and Richard Pepper Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders, Northwestern University, Evanston, Illinois 60208, USA
J Neurosci 31:8780-5. 2011..imaging, a brain-imaging tool to investigate white matter connectivity in humans, we found that fractional anisotropy in the left parietal-temporal region positively correlated with the performance in sound-to-word learning...
- Multicenter stability of diffusion tensor imaging measures: a European clinical and physical phantom studyStefan J Teipel
Department of Psychiatry, University of Rostock, Germany
Psychiatry Res 194:363-71. 2011..We determined the variability of fractional anisotropy (FA) measures using manually placed regions of interest as well as automated tract based spatial statistics and ..
- Effects of signal-to-noise ratio on the accuracy and reproducibility of diffusion tensor imaging-derived fractional anisotropy, mean diffusivity, and principal eigenvector measurements at 1.5 TJonathan A D Farrell
F M Kirby Research Center for Functional Brain Imaging, Kennedy Krieger Institute, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
J Magn Reson Imaging 26:756-67. 2007To develop an experimental protocol to calculate the precision and accuracy of fractional anisotropy (FA), mean diffusivity (MD), and the orientation of the principal eigenvector (PEV) as a function of the signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) in ..
- "Squashing peanuts and smashing pumpkins": how noise distorts diffusion-weighted MR dataDerek K Jones
Section on Tissue Biophysics and Biomimetics, Laboratory of Integrative Medicine and Biophysics, National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 5772, USA
Magn Reson Med 52:979-93. 2004..dependent deviation from Gaussian behavior of the ADC profile, an underestimation of indices of diffusion anisotropy, and a correlation between estimates of mean diffusivity and diffusion anisotropy...
- Quantitative diffusion tensor MR imaging of the brain: field strength related variance of apparent diffusion coefficient (ADC) and fractional anisotropy (FA) scalarsThierry A G M Huisman
Department of Diagnostic Imaging, University Children s Hospital Zurich, Steinwiesstrasse 75, 8032, Zurich, Switzerland
Eur Radiol 16:1651-8. 2006..0 Tesla (within 2 h) using identical DTI scan parameters. Apparent diffusion coefficient (ADC) and fractional anisotropy (FA) values were measured at multiple gray and white matter locations...
- Orientationally invariant indices of axon diameter and density from diffusion MRIDaniel C Alexander
Centre for Medical Image Computing, Department of Computer Science, University College London, London, UK
Neuroimage 52:1374-89. 2010..This demonstration motivates further refinement, validation, and evaluation of the precise nature of the indices and the influence of potential confounds...
- Diffusion-tensor MRI: theory, experimental design and data analysis - a technical reviewPeter J Basser
Section on Tissue Biophysics and Biomimetics, NICHD, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
NMR Biomed 15:456-67. 2002..Finally, we describe new statistical methods that have been developed to analyse DT-MRI data, and their potential uses in clinical and multi-site studies...
- The contribution of gliosis to diffusion tensor anisotropy and tractography following traumatic brain injury: validation in the rat using Fourier analysis of stained tissue sectionsMatthew D Budde
Neuroscience Research Centre, Milwaukee, WI 53226, USA
Brain 134:2248-60. 2011..Specifically, decreases in fractional anisotropy derived from diffusion tensor imaging are consistent with axonal injury, myelin injury or both in white matter ..
- High-resolution diffusion tensor imaging of human patellar cartilage: feasibility and preliminary findingsL Filidoro
Department of Clinical Radiology, Ludwig Maximilians University, Munich, Germany
Magn Reson Med 53:993-8. 2005..Voxel-based maps of the mean diffusivity, fractional anisotropy (FA), and eigenvectors were calculated. The mean diffusivity decreased from the surface (1...
- Selective reduction of diffusion anisotropy in white matter of Alzheimer disease brains measured by 3.0 Tesla magnetic resonance imagingSatoshi Takahashi
Department of Neurology, Iwate Medical University, Morioka, Iwate, Japan
Neurosci Lett 332:45-8. 2002..of white matter fiber tracts in patients with AD, we used diffusion tensor (DT) imaging to study the diffusion anisotropy of white matter regions. DT imaging was performed using a 3...
- Cognitive aging, executive function, and fractional anisotropy: a diffusion tensor MR imaging studyS M Grieve
The Brain Resource International Database, The Brain Resource Company, Ultimo, Australia
AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 28:226-35. 2007Fractional anisotropy (FA) is a useful measure of connectivity in the brain that can be derived from the diffusion tensor imaging (DTI) dataset...
- Formalin fixation alters water diffusion coefficient magnitude but not anisotropy in infarcted brainShu Wei Sun
Department of Radiology, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri 63110, USA
Magn Reson Med 53:1447-51. 2005..in infarcted cortex and external capsule compared with contralateral brain areas, with no change in relative anisotropy (RA). After formalin fixation, Tr(D) was reduced 30-80%...
- Diffusion-tensor imaging at 3 T: detection of white matter alterations in neurological patients on the basis of normal valuesMichael Deppe
Department of Neurology, University Hospital Munster, Munster, Germany
Invest Radiol 42:338-45. 2007Fractional anisotropy (FA) is a powerful measure to study the integrity of the cerebral white matter in vivo...
- Testing of the analytical anisotropic algorithm for photon dose calculationAnn Van Esch
7Sigma, QA team in Radiotherapy Physics, Belgium and Clinique Ste Elisabeth, Namur, Belgium
Med Phys 33:4130-48. 2006..Particular progress was made with respect to the penumbra and low dose regions. In heterogeneous materials, improvements are substantial and more pronounced for high (18 MV) than for low (6 MV) energies...
- Whole brain-based analysis of regional white matter tract alterations in rare motor neuron diseases by diffusion tensor imagingAlexander Unrath
Department of Neurology, University of Ulm, Ulm, Germany
Hum Brain Mapp 31:1727-40. 2010..Future advanced MRI-based investigations might help to provide a fingerprint-identification of MNDs...
- More is not always better: increased fractional anisotropy of superior longitudinal fasciculus associated with poor visuospatial abilities in Williams syndromeFumiko Hoeft
Center for Interdisciplinary Brain Sciences Research, Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Stanford University School of Medicine, Palo Alto, California 94305 5795, USA
J Neurosci 27:11960-5. 2007..All analysis methods consistently showed that fractional anisotropy (FA; a measure of microstructural integrity) was higher in the right superior longitudinal fasciculus (SLF) in ..
- White matter connections reflect changes in voluntary-guided saccades in pre-symptomatic Huntington's diseaseStefan Kloppel
Wellcome Trust Centre for Neuroimaging, Institute if Neurology, UCL, London, UK
Brain 131:196-204. 2008..20 matched controls using a multivariate support vector machine to identify patterns of changes in fractional anisotropy (FA)...
- Increased brain white matter diffusivity in normal adult aging: relationship to anisotropy and partial volumingAdolf Pfefferbaum
Neuroscience Program, SRI International, Menlo Park, California 94025, USA
Magn Reson Med 49:953-61. 2003..in 64 healthy men and women (age 23-85 years); 2) the relationship between diffusivity (trace) and fractional anisotropy (FA) across and within individuals; and 3) the role of macrostructural and microstructural partial voluming ..
- Diffusion-tensor imaging implicates prefrontal axonal injury in executive function impairment following very mild traumatic brain injuryMichael L Lipton
Gruss Magnetic Resonance Research Center, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, 1300 Morris Park Ave, Bronx, NY 10461, USA
Radiology 252:816-24. 2009..To determine whether frontal white matter diffusion abnormalities can help predict acute executive function impairment after mild traumatic brain injury (mTBI)...
- Right orbitofrontal corticolimbic and left corticocortical white matter connectivity differentiate bipolar and unipolar depressionAmelia Versace
Department of Psychiatry, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pennsylvania, USA
Biol Psychiatry 68:560-7. 2010..We aimed to determine whether whole brain white matter connectivity differentiated BD from UD depression...
- Functional anatomy of interhemispheric cortical connections in the human brainMojtaba Zarei
Oxford Centre for Functional MRI of the Brain, Department of Clinical Neurology, University of Oxford, John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford, UK
J Anat 209:311-20. 2006..Our map showed high consistency across individuals. We propose that this map might be useful in the study of the effects of damage to human CC in neurodegenerative and cognitive disorders...
- Cingulate fasciculus integrity disruption in schizophrenia: a magnetic resonance diffusion tensor imaging studyMarek Kubicki
Clinical Neuroscience Division, Laboratory of Neuroscience, Boston VA Healthcare System Brockton Division, and Department of Psychiatry, Harvard Medical School, Brockton, Massachusetts 02301, USA
Biol Psychiatry 54:1171-80. 2003..We acquired 4-mm-thick coronal slices through the entire brain. Maps of fractional anisotropy (FA) were generated to quantify diffusion within the left and right CB on eight slices that included the central ..
- Elevated left and reduced right orbitomedial prefrontal fractional anisotropy in adults with bipolar disorder revealed by tract-based spatial statisticsAmelia Versace
Department of Psychiatry, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, 121 Meyran Ave, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Arch Gen Psychiatry 65:1041-52. 2008....
- Diffusion tensor imaging of frontal lobe in autism spectrum disorderSenthil K Sundaram
Carman and Ann Adams Department of Pediatrics, Children s Hospital of Michigan, 3901 Beaubien Blvd, Detroit, MI 48201, USA
Cereb Cortex 18:2659-65. 2008..0126) association fibers in ASD group. There was a trend toward statistical significance in the fractional anisotropy (FA) of whole frontal lobe fibers (P = 0.11)...
- Nature and anisotropy of cortical forces orienting Drosophila tissue morphogenesisMatteo Rauzi
Institut Fresnel, Université Aix Marseille III, CNRS, Ecole Centrale Marseille, UMR 6133, Domaine universitaire de St Jerome, 13397 Marseille Cedex 20, France
Nat Cell Biol 10:1401-10. 2008..We show that anisotropy of cortical tension at apical cell junctions is sufficient to drive tissue elongation...
- Diffusion tensor MR imaging in diffuse axonal injuryKonstantinos Arfanakis
Department of Medical Physics, University of Wisconsin, Madison 53706 1532, USA
AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 23:794-802. 2002..DAI therefore is hypothetically associated in the short term with decreased diffusion anisotropy. We tested this hypothesis by measuring the diffusion characteristics of traumatized brain tissue with use of ..
- Fractional anisotropy in the posterior limb of the internal capsule and prognosis in amyotrophic lateral sclerosisRicarda A L Menke
Oxford Centre for Functional Magnetic Resonance of the Brain
Arch Neurol 69:1493-9. 2012..To explore the value of diffusion tensor imaging applied to those specific cerebral white matter tracts consistently involved pathologically in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis as a source of prognostic biomarkers...
- Predicting inter-hemispheric transfer time from the diffusion properties of the corpus callosum in healthy individuals and schizophrenia patients: a combined ERP and DTI studyThomas J Whitford
Psychiatry Neuroimaging Laboratory, Brigham and Women s Hospital, HarvardMedical School, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Neuroimage 54:2318-29. 2011..The present study investigated whether or not these IHTT abnormalities could be underpinned by structural damage to the visual fibers of the corpus callosum...
- White matter impairment in heroin addicts undergoing methadone maintenance treatment and prolonged abstinence: a preliminary DTI studyYarong Wang
Department of Radiology, Tangdu Hospital, The Fourth Military Medical University, 1 Xinsi Road, Baqiao District, Xi an 710038, China
Neurosci Lett 494:49-53. 2011..Fractional anisotropy (FA), apparent diffusion coefficient (ADC) and eigenvalues (λ(⊥), λ(||)) were measured...
- A validation study of multicenter diffusion tensor imaging: reliability of fractional anisotropy and diffusivity valuesR J Fox
Mellen Center for Multiple Sclerosis, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, Ohio, USA
AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 33:695-700. 2012..DTI is increasingly being used as a measure to study tissue damage in several neurologic diseases. Our aim was to investigate the comparability of DTI measures between different MR imaging magnets and platforms...
- Robust detection of traumatic axonal injury in individual mild traumatic brain injury patients: intersubject variation, change over time and bidirectional changes in anisotropyMichael L Lipton
The Gruss Magnetic Resonance Research Center, Albert Einstein College of Medicine of Yeshiva University, Bronx, NY 10461, USA
Brain Imaging Behav 6:329-42. 2012..The patients were imaged within 2 weeks of injury, 3 months after injury, and 6 months after injury. Fractional anisotropy (FA) images were analyzed in each patient...
- The optimal trackability threshold of fractional anisotropy for diffusion tensor tractography of the corticospinal tractAkira Kunimatsu
Department of Radiology, Graduate School of Medicine, Tokyo University, Hongo, Tokyo
Magn Reson Med Sci 3:11-7. 2004..3D-DTT) of the corticospinal tract (CST), is performed accurately and efficiently, we set out to find the optimal lower threshold of fractional anisotropy (FA) below which tract elongation is terminated (trackability threshold).
- Thalamic integrity underlies executive dysfunction in traumatic brain injuryD M Little
Departments of Neurology, Center for Stroke Research, The University of Illinois Medical Center at Chicago, Chicago, IL, USA
Neurology 74:558-64. 2010..To quantify the effects of traumatic brain injury on integrity of thalamocortical projection fibers and to evaluate whether damage to these fibers accounts for impairments in executive function in chronic traumatic brain injury...
- Diffusion tensor imaging identifies deficits in white matter microstructure in subjects with type 1 diabetes that correlate with reduced neurocognitive functionChristopher T Kodl
Departmentof Medicine, Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes, and Metabolism, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
Diabetes 57:3083-9. 2008....
- Regional pattern of white matter microstructural changes in normal aging, MCI, and ADD Y Lee
Imaging of Dementia and Aging IDeA Laboratory, Department of Neurology and Center for Neuroscience, University of California at Davis, Davis, CA 95616, USA
Neurology 73:1722-8. 2009To cross-sectionally compare the regional white matter fractional anisotropy (FA) of cognitively normal (CN) older individuals and patients with mild cognitive impairment (MCI) and Alzheimer disease (AD), separately focusing on the normal-..
- Altered white matter diffusion anisotropy in normal and preterm infants at term-equivalent ageStephen E Rose
Centre for Magnetic Resonance, University of Queensland, Queensland, Australia
Magn Reson Med 60:761-7. 2008..Compared with newborn term infants, very preterm infants were found to possess reduced fractional anisotropy (FA) within the frontal lobe, and a number of anterior and posterior commissural pathways...
- Entanglement and sources of magnetic anisotropy in radical pair-based avian magnetoreceptorsHannah J Hogben
Department of Chemistry, University of Oxford, Physical and Theoretical Chemistry Laboratory, Oxford OX1 3QZ, United Kingdom
Phys Rev Lett 109:220501. 2012..It emerges that the anisotropy of radical pairs formed from spin-polarized molecular triplets could form the basis of a more sensitive compass ..
- The structural plasticity of white matter networks following anterior temporal lobe resectionMahinda Yogarajah
Department of Experimental and Clinical Epilepsy, UCL Institute of Neurology, London, WC1N 3BG, UK
Brain 133:2348-64. 2010..We observed widespread, significant, mean 7%, decreases in fractional anisotropy in white matter networks connected to the area of resection, following both left and right temporal lobe ..
- Assessing spatial relationships between axonal integrity, regional brain volumes, and neuropsychological outcomes after traumatic axonal injuryMatthew A Warner
Department of Neurology, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, Texas 75390 9036, USA
J Neurotrauma 27:2121-30. 2010..imaging (DTI) tractography was used to reconstruct prominent white matter tracts and calculate their fractional anisotropy (FA) and mean diffusivity (MD) values...
- Effect of long-term cannabis use on axonal fibre connectivityAndrew Zalesky
Melbourne Neuropsychiatry Centre, The University of Melbourne and Melbourne Health, Melbourne, 3053, Australia
Brain 135:2245-55. 2012..Our findings indicate long-term cannabis use is hazardous to the white matter of the developing brain. Delaying the age at which regular use begins may minimize the severity of microstructural impairment...
- Anisotropy changes in post-menopausal osteoporosis: characterization by a new index applied to trabecular bone radiographic imagesChristine Chappard
INSERM ERIT M0101, CHR Orleans, 1 rue Porte Madeleine, 45032 Orleans Cedex 1, France
Osteoporos Int 16:1193-202. 2005..Bone mineral density (BMD) is a good surrogate for material property. Architectural anisotropy is of special interest in mechanics-architecture relations and characterizes the degree of directional ..
- Relative indices of water diffusion anisotropy are equivalent in live and formalin-fixed mouse brainsShu Wei Sun
Department of Radiology, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri
Magn Reson Med 50:743-8. 2003..Five diffusion indices were examined in a cohort of seven mice: relative anisotropy (RA), directional correlation (DC), trace (Tr(D)), trace-normalized axial diffusivity (D(axially)), and radial ..
- The topographical distribution of tissue injury in benign MS: a 3T multiparametric MRI studyAntonia Ceccarelli
Neuroimaging Research Unit, Scientific Institute and University Ospedale San Raffaele, Milan, Italy
Neuroimage 39:1499-509. 2008..Compared to controls, BMS and RRMS patients had lower WM fractional anisotropy (FA) in the corpus callosum (CC) and in several regions of temporal and occipital lobes...
- Orthogonal tensor invariants and the analysis of diffusion tensor magnetic resonance imagesDaniel B Ennis
Department of Radiology, Stanford University, Palo Alto, California 94305 5488, USA
Magn Reson Med 55:136-46. 2006..shape using a set of three orthogonal invariants that characterize the magnitude of isotropy, the magnitude of anisotropy, and the mode of anisotropy...
- Specific anatomic associations between white matter integrity and cognitive reserve in normal and cognitively impaired eldersEider M Arenaza-Urquijo
Department de Psiquiatria i Psicobiologia Clinica EMA U, CJ, DF E, DBF, Universitat de Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain
Am J Geriatr Psychiatry 19:33-42. 2011..The authors studied correlations between CR and WM integrity in regions showing WM age-related effects or pathologic changes and tested the differences of slopes between groups...
- Recovery after spinal cord relapse in multiple sclerosis is predicted by radial diffusivityPatrick Freund
Department of Brain Repair and Rehabilitation, NMR Unit, UCL Institute of Neurology, London, UK
Mult Scler 16:1193-202. 2010....
- Major groove width variations in RNA structures determined by NMR and impact of 13C residual chemical shift anisotropy and 1H-13C residual dipolar coupling on refinementBlanton S Tolbert
Howard Hughes Medical Institute and Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, University of Maryland Baltimore County, 1000 Hilltop Circle, Baltimore, MD 21250, USA
J Biomol NMR 47:205-19. 2010....
- Vulnerability of the frontal-temporal connections in temporal lobe epilepsyJack J Lin
Department of Neurology, University of California, Irvine, CA, USA
Epilepsy Res 82:162-70. 2008..We therefore investigated the integrity of two major frontal-temporal white matter association tracts, uncinate fasciculus (UF) and arcuate fasciculus (AF), and their clinical correlates...
- Preservation of diffusion tensor properties during spatial normalization by use of tensor imaging and fibre tracking on a normal brain databaseH P Muller
Department of Neurology, University of Ulm, Germany
Phys Med Biol 52:N99-109. 2007..The algorithms were tested and validated for a group of 13 healthy controls...
- Focal white matter changes in spasmodic dysphonia: a combined diffusion tensor imaging and neuropathological studyKristina Simonyan
Laryngeal and Speech Section, Medical Neurology Branch, National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, National Institutes of Health, 10 Center Drive, Building 10, Room 5D38, Bethesda, MD 20892 1416, USA
Brain 131:447-59. 2008..DTI showed right-sided decrease of fractional anisotropy in the genu of the internal capsule and bilateral increase of overall water diffusivity in the white matter ..
- Choice reaction time performance correlates with diffusion anisotropy in white matter pathways supporting visuospatial attentionDavid S Tuch
Athinoula A Martinos Center for Biomedical Imaging, Massachusetts General Hospital, 149 13th Street, Room 2301, Charlestown, MA 02129, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 102:12212-7. 2005..Using diffusion tensor MRI (DTI), we sought to test whether diffusion tensor fractional anisotropy (FA), a measure of the orientational coherence of water self-diffusion, is regionally correlated with RT on a ..
- Diffusion tensor magnetic resonance imaging finding of discrepant fractional anisotropy between the frontal and parietal lobes after whole-brain irradiation in childhood medulloblastoma survivors: reflection of regional white matter radiosensitivity?Deqiang Qiu
Department of Diagnostic Radiology, Queen Mary Hospital, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 69:846-51. 2007To test the hypothesis that fractional anisotropy (FA) is more severely reduced in white matter of the frontal lobe compared with the parietal lobe after receiving the same whole-brain irradiation dose in a cohort of childhood ..
- Anisotropy of callosal motor fibers in combination with transcranial magnetic stimulation in the course of motor developmentInga Koerte
Institute of Clinical Radiology, Ludwig Maximilians University, Munich, Germany
Invest Radiol 44:279-84. 2009..To identify quantifiable markers for motor development, we combined DTI with TMS...
- Fractional anisotropy of water diffusion in cerebral white matter across the lifespanP Kochunov
Research Imaging Institute, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, TX 78284, United States
Neurobiol Aging 33:9-20. 2012..We carefully mapped changes in fractional anisotropy (FA) of water diffusion for eleven major cerebral white matter tracts in a large group (831) of healthy human ..
- High-frequency rTMS treatment increases white matter FA in the left middle frontal gyrus in young patients with treatment-resistant depressionHongjun Peng
Mental Health Institute, Department of Radiology, The Second Xiangya Hospital of Central South University, Changsha, Hunan, China
J Affect Disord 136:249-57. 2012..Diffusion tensor imaging (DTI) is an ideal tool for examining neural connections and the integrity of white matter. Few studies have used DTI to investigate the impact of rTMS on alterations of whiter matter in TRD...
- Atypical diffusion tensor hemispheric asymmetry in autismNicholas Lange
Department of Psychiatry, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Autism Res 3:350-8. 2010....
- White matter pathology isolates the hippocampal formation in Alzheimer's diseaseD H Salat
MGH MIT HMS Athinoula A Martinos Center for Biomedical Imaging, Charlestown, MA 02129 2060, United States
Neurobiol Aging 31:244-56. 2010..Examination of regional changes in unique diffusion parameters including anisotropy and axial and radial diffusivity demonstrated distinct zones of alterations, potentially stemming from ..
- Acute and chronic changes in diffusivity measures after sports concussionLuke C Henry
Département de Psychology, Universite de Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
J Neurotrauma 28:2049-59. 2011..of sports concussion on white matter using three different diffusion tensor imaging (DTI) measures: fractional anisotropy (FA), mean diffusivity (MD), and axial diffusivity (AD)...
- Diffusion abnormality maps in demyelinating disease: correlations with clinical scoresMihaela Onu
Medical Imaging Department, Clinical Hospital Prof Dr Th Burghele, and Biophysics Department, University of Medicine and Pharmacy Carol Davila, Eroilor Sanitari Blvd 8, Bucharest 050474, Romania
Eur J Radiol 81:e386-91. 2012..The present study shows brain regions where FA and individual diffusivities abnormalities are present and check their correlations with physical disability clinical scores...
- KINETICS OF DRUG MACROMOLECULE COMPLEX FORMATIONPALMER WILLIAM TAYLOR; Fiscal Year: 2013..Conformation and dynamics are examined through fluorescence spectroscopy, decay of fluorescence anisotropy and H/D exchange...
- Aligned Tendon or Ligament Derived Matrix Nanoscaffolds for Rotator Cuff RepairDianne Little; Fiscal Year: 2013..We will test the following hypotheses: Hypothesis 1: Scaffold fiber alignment and mechanical anisotropy will be greatest in 0-Offset scaffolds followed by 45-Offset scaffolds and finally non-aligned TLDM scaffolds...
- Biophysics of Drug Interactions with Viral EpisomesJames K Bashkin; Fiscal Year: 2013..Independent physical methods such as fluorescence anisotropy (in competition binding studies), isothermal calorimetry and surface plasmon resonance will allow benchmarking ..
- The influenza A virus nucleoprotein: structure and functionYizhi Jane Tao; Fiscal Year: 2012..Several key residues for RNA binding have been identified by mutagenesis. Polarization anisotropy assay shows that wild-type NP exhibits strong binding affinity for RNA, which in turn stimulates NP self-..
- Structural determinants of DTI observations in developing cortex and white matterChristopher D Kroenke; Fiscal Year: 2013..the magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) technique termed diffusion tensor imaging (DTI) have found that fractional anisotropy (FA) is reduced in cerebral white matter (WM) of mature individuals affected by disorders either of genetic (e.g...
- The Biomechanics of the Human Posterior Sclera: Effects of Age, Sex, and GlaucomaThao D Nguyen; Fiscal Year: 2013..The goals of the proposal are to (1) measure the regionally varying thickness, anisotropy of the collagen and elastin structure, the inflation response to IOP fluctuations, and viscoelastic properties ..
- Neuroanatomical and functional outcomes of pediatric obstructive sleep apneaRobert Joseph Thomas; Fiscal Year: 2012..Correlations of neuroanatomical indices (cortical thickness, fractional anisotropy, fiber length, apparent diffusion coefficient) and functional activation volumes and % blood oxygen level ..
- Biomaterials (Mf/Zn/F-BCPs) for osteoporosis therapyYu Zhang; Fiscal Year: 2012..strength, bone density);(c) microstructural (cortical and trabecular bone thickness, trabecular bone porosities, anisotropy);(d) biochemical (matrix/mineral ratio, degree of bone mineralization)'and biomineral (bone mineral ..
- Structural Dynamics of Cardiac Muscle ContractionBrett A Colson; Fiscal Year: 2012..3) Use time-resolved phosphorescence anisotropy (TPA) and fluorescence resonance energy transfer (FRET), with probes on actin or myosin in solution, to ..
- High throughput assay for fibrin-binding probesPETER D CARAVAN; Fiscal Year: 2013..Using polarized fluorescence, the anisotropy of the protein-bound fluorescent probe is high, but is much lower when it is displaced...
- Gender Differences in Neural Deficits Associated with Obstructive Sleep ApneaPAUL MICHAEL MACEY; Fiscal Year: 2010..We will assess whole-brain structure with diffusion tensor imaging indices (fractional anisotropy and mean diffusivity), T2 relaxation time, and regional gray matter volume measures, modeled by gender and OSA ..
- UNDERSTANDING NEUROBEHAVIORAL DEFICITS IN PRETERM INFANTS THROUGH IMAGINGDavid C Van Essen; Fiscal Year: 2012..unmyelinated WM, and cerebrospinal fluid), 3) diffusion tensor imaging (apparent diffusion coefficient, relative anisotropy, axial and radial diffusivity), and 4) surface-based morphometry (integrated folding index, average sulcal depth,..
- Brain Structure and Function in Adolescents after the Fontan OperationMICHAEL JOHN RIVKIN; Fiscal Year: 2012..tensor MRI imaging, the primary outcome will be regional white matter microstructure, as measured by fractional anisotropy. Secondary outcomes will be regional apparent diffusion coefficients...
- Real-time microviscosity measurement tools for the cellMark A Haidekker; Fiscal Year: 2010..Presently, viscosity on the microscopic scale is determined by fluorescence anisotropy, fluorescence recovery after photobleaching (FRAP), or magnetic nanoparticles...
- Image-based modeling of nonlinear and anisotropic intervertebral disc mechanicsEdward J Vresilovic; Fiscal Year: 2010..composition and microarchitecture is complex, requiring a constitutive formulation that better reflects the AF anisotropy, nonlinearity, and inhomogeneity...
- Sleep and Brain Structure in Heart FailureMARY ANN WOO; Fiscal Year: 2012..gray matter damage (assessed by structural magnetic resonance imaging, including mean diffusivity and fractional anisotropy) in HF depends on the presence of SDB (assessed via overnight polysomnography);2) show that nerve fibers (white ..
- Development of the Gag/Lysyl tRNA synthetase interaction as a target for anti-HIVLawrence Kleiman; Fiscal Year: 2012..The interaction of LysRS with either Gag or the smaller capsid (CA) molecule will be measured using fluorescent anisotropy (FA), using fluorescently-labeled CA as the tracer in the HTS of the LysRS/CA interaction...
- Site-Directed Oxidative Modification of Muscle Protein Structural DynamicsDavid D Thomas; Fiscal Year: 2013..spectroscopic techniques will be used - fluorescence resonance energy transfer (FRET), transient phosphorescence anisotropy (TPA), electron paramagnetic resonance (EPR), and nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR)...
- Neuropathology of severe malaria in Thailand: MRI studiesGary M Brittenham; Fiscal Year: 2011..apparent diffusion coefficient (ADC) maps, diffusion tensor imaging (DTI) with correlating fractional anisotropy maps, and fluid attenuated inversion recovery (FLAIR) imaging;and (2) to test the hypothesis that the degree of ..
- EVALUATION OF AXONAL INTEGRITY USING DIFFUSION TENSOR IMAGINGWilson Z Ray; Fiscal Year: 2013..DTI measures the magnitude, anisotropy, and directionality of water displacement in tissue and provides quantifiable measures of directional ..
- Cellular and molecular mechanisms of preterm white matter injuryArt Riddle; Fiscal Year: 2013..animal imaging system that is equipped with an ultra- high field (12 T) magnet, will include T2 and diffusion anisotropy measures to assess the cellular etiology of lesions shown on MRI...
- Identifying Epileptogenic Tubers in TSCHarry Chugani; Fiscal Year: 2013..non-epileptogenic tubers both in their connectivity patterns to subcortical structures and in their surrounding anisotropy and, when used in conjunction with AMT PET, the epileptogenic brain region can be identified in the vast ..
- Error Correction in DNA Synthesis: A Biochemical StudyMYRON GOODMAN; Fiscal Year: 2013..These probes will be used to investigate each stage of the pol V Mut cycle by stopped-flow FRET and rotational anisotropy techniques...
- ISS ChronosBH Fluorescence Lifetime SpectrometerFRANCISCO J BEZANILLA; Fiscal Year: 2010..Measurement of fluorophore probe properties such as excited state fluorescence lifetime decay, polarization anisotropy, and energy transfer can reflect detailed structural, conformational, motional, binding, and dynamical ..
- Essential Features of Neural Damage in Mild Traumatic Brain InjuryScott R Sponheim; Fiscal Year: 2012..phase synchronization between brain regions and a greater percentage of white matter voxels with low fractional anisotropy (FA) as measured by DTI. Specific Aim 2...
- Processing of emotional content and brain activation in adolescents treated withGIOVANNI TIRADO SANTIAGO; Fiscal Year: 2010..pre-selected brain regions of interest (fcMRI), c) microscopic white matter integrity as measured by fractional anisotropy brain maps generated with diffusion tensor imaging (DTI), and d) anatomical volume of selected brain regions (..
- FETAL PROGRAMMING OF THE NEWBORN AND INFANT HUMAN BRAINPathik D Wadhwa; Fiscal Year: 2013..amygdala and prefrontal cortex) will be derived from serial MRI scans, and white matter integrity (fractional anisotropy along major white matter tracts: corpus callosum genu and splenium tracts and uncinate fasciculus) will be ..
- Whole brain multimodal microscopy of an apoptosis reporter mousePETER JEFF NICHOLLS; Fiscal Year: 2013..correlating areas of increased or decreased cell death with aberrations in structural morphology and fiber tract anisotropy. The final stage of our method will be to upload the multimodal images of numerous mutant models of disease to a ..
- Spectroscopic Probes of the Muscle CytoskeletonDavid D Thomas; Fiscal Year: 2013..when the g isoform of actin is used? These questions will be addressed using time-resolved phosphorescence anisotropy to detect rotational dynamics, fluorescence and EPR to map protein structures and interactions, and ..
- Neonatal Biomarkers in Extremely Preterm Babies Predict Childhood Brain DisordersKarl Kuban; Fiscal Year: 2013..and brain structural abnormalities (diminished white and gray matter volumes and diminished fractional anisotropy in white matter tracts on MRI)...
- Multimodal MRI markers of nigrostriatal pathology in Parkinson's diseaseXuemei Huang; Fiscal Year: 2013..Our pilot data support the hypothesis that fractional anisotropy (FA) and R2* measures reflect different aspects of nigrostriatal pathology that can be used as biomarkers for ..
- Brain Mechanisms in Pediatric Bipolar Disorder and Attention Deficit HyperactivitMani N Pavuluri; Fiscal Year: 2010..accomplish this aim, DTI data are obtained from the color coded tracts that will allow us to measure fractional anisotropy (FA), apparent diffusion co-efficient (ADC) and fiber coherence index in the tracts that connect the fronto-..
- Biomimetic micro-structured hydrogel scaffolds for tissue engineered heart valvesJennifer L West; Fiscal Year: 2013..Electrospinning can produce layered structures and anisotropy, but this approach is highly sensitive to operating parameters...
- Targeting c-Myc and MDR1 in Cancer Through Small Molecule Inhibitors of IMP-1David J Shapiro; Fiscal Year: 2013..we identified an IMP-1 binding and mRNA stabilizing site in MDR1 mRNA, established a (FAMA) fluorescence anisotropy/polarization microplate assay for analyzing binding of IMP-1 to its c-Myc and MDR1 mRNA targets, developed a ..
- Dissecting Allostery in Pyruvate KinaseAron W Fenton; Fiscal Year: 2012..dependent changes in the dynamic motions of the N-terminus will be monitored with dynamic fluorescence anisotropy. In Specific Aim 3 novel lead ligand/drug compounds that do not resemble physiological effectors will be ..
- Prognostic Impact and Arrhythmic Potential of Peri-infarct Zone by Cardiac MRIRaymond Y Kwong; Fiscal Year: 2012..The marked cellular anisotropy observed in the peri-infarct zone has reported to be a potential cause of ventricular arrhythmias...
- The Role of N-myristylation and N-terminal Modifications on PKA Structure and DynADAM CHRISTOPHER BASTIDAS; Fiscal Year: 2013..13 Fluorescence anisotropy experiments also show that the N-terminal region of the C subunit in the RII holoenzyme is much more flexible ..
- White Matter Protection in Acute Ischemic StrokeChia Yi Kuan; Fiscal Year: 2012..oligodendrocyte swelling and compression of the axoplasma, while the late-onset, large reduction of fractional anisotropy (FA) signifies severe structural breakdown of the axons...
- Yeast MAPK Signaling Networks: Specificity, Regulation and FunctionJeremy W Thorner; Fiscal Year: 2013..of DEP domain-mediated GPCR recognition;(2) genetic and biochemical studies of the mechanism of MAPK-induced anisotropy in plasma membrane phosphoinositide distribution;(3) genetic and biochemical studies of the control of the ..
- Structural Development of Human Fetal BrainHao Huang; Fiscal Year: 2013..Factional anisotropy (FA) derived from diffusion tensor and thickness measurements of the subplate provide valuable insights into the ..
- Diffusion tensor MR spectroscopic imaging in human brainStefan Posse; Fiscal Year: 2012..microstructure abnormalities in autism spectrum disorder (ASD) generally demonstrate decreased water diffusion anisotropy in frontal cortex and corpus callosum, consistent with frontal disconnectivity theories of autism...
- Fluorescence Anisotropy-based Macromolecule Crystallization ScreeningMARC LEE PUSEY; Fiscal Year: 2011..screening approach, the self-association behavior of the target macromolecule as measured by fluorescence anisotropy as a diagnostic for the likelihood of crystallization under the test conditions...
- Development of a method for in situ nanorheology of human airway mucusAmy L Oldenburg; Fiscal Year: 2013..GNRs are advantageous as rheological probes because their high anisotropy and plasmon-resonance provides a unique optical signal against endogenous mucus light scatterers, and their ..
- Structure Function Studies of DNA Mismatch RepairDorothy A Erie; Fiscal Year: 2010..As a complement to the AFM studies, we will use fluorescence anisotropy arid fluorescence resonance energy transfer (FRET) to characterize protein binding to DNA and protein-induced ..
- Prediction of cognitive decline with structural, diffusion, and perfusion MRIMichael W Weiner; Fiscal Year: 2013..for baseline memory function, memory decline was significantly predicted by entorhinal cortex volume, fractional anisotropy of the parahippocampal cingulum white matter, and perfusion of the posterior cingulate gyrus...
- Biomimetic Scaffold Anisotropy and Biomolecule Conjugation to Direct TendonBrendan A Harley; Fiscal Year: 2013..biomolecule sequestration strategies with a unique fabrication process to precisely control the geometric anisotropy and structural remodeling of a clinically approved collagen-GAG (CG) scaffold system...
- Microstructural Characterization of White Matter in SchizophreniaMariana Lazar; Fiscal Year: 2010..schizophrenia using both typical DTI measures of microstructural integrity - the mean diffusivity and fractional anisotropy and a new metric - the mean kurtosis, which has shown promise to better discriminate microstructural alterations ..
- Toward a Comprehensive Model for Enzyme CatalysisJudith P Klinman; Fiscal Year: 2013..protein motions controlling H-tunneling will be studied using a combination of fluorescence lifetime and anisotropy measurements, resonance Raman spectroscopy and hydrogen deuterium exchange...
- Molecular Means for 3'Splice Site Recognition by U2AF35Kholiswa M Laird; Fiscal Year: 2013..Briefly, we will utilize fluorescence anisotropy, electrophoretic mobility shifts assays (EMSA) and site-directed mutagenesis to determine the affinity and ..
- Kinetics of Cardiac Myofilament ActivationWen Ji Dong; Fiscal Year: 2013..This project capitalizes on our FRET and fluorescence anisotropy expertise in determining protein structural kinetics and dynamics to exploit a new approach by implementing FRET ..
- Structural determination of DNA damage identification by the repair protein XPCSteven M Shell; Fiscal Year: 2010..Two specific aims are designed to test this hypothesis. Aim 1 will use fluorescence anisotropy to determine the affinity of the XPC for DNA substrates containing different types of lesions to test whether ..
- Structural and functional diversity of the methyl-binding domain protein familyDAVID COLLIN WILLIAMS; Fiscal Year: 2013..will involve NMR spectroscopy, surface plasmon resonance, isothermal titration calorimetry, and fluorescence anisotropy techniques...
- Orientation independent DIC and polarization microscopyMichael Shribak; Fiscal Year: 2011..specimen: distribution of optical path gradients and distribution of birefringence due to structural or internal anisotropy of the cell structure...
- Diffusion Tensor Imaging to Define CNS Injury in Children with Brain TumorsMARY BARON NELSON; Fiscal Year: 2012..by high-dose chemotherapy to white and gray matter in childhood brain tumor survivors as measured by fractional anisotropy and median diffusivity will be compared to healthy controls, with age at diagnosis as a covariate...
- Assembly and stability of supramolecular PTB: exon complexesKathleen B Hall; Fiscal Year: 2010..We use gel mobility shift assays, nitrocellulose filter binding, enzymatic footprinting, fluorescence anisotropy, and NMR to determine binding affinity, stoichiometry, the RNA sites bound by PTB, and the domains of PTB in ..
- Genetic Epidemiology of Cerebrovascular Disease and Cognition in DiabetesDonald W Bowden; Fiscal Year: 2012..The relationships between MRI measures (white matter lesion score, diffusion anisotropy index, mean white matter perfusion, total brain volume, total white matter volume, total gray matter volume), ..
- Relationship of MRI to ASIA Impairment Scale in Chronic Spinal Cord InjuryJohn W McDonald; Fiscal Year: 2010..white matter pathways in persons with chronic SCI through tract specific DTI-derived metrics such as: fractional anisotropy (FA), average diffusion coefficient (MD), parallel and perpendicular eigenvalues (;|| and;4) and MTCSF (..
- MECHANISMS OF ISCHEMIC NEONATAL BRAIN INJURYDonna M Ferriero; Fiscal Year: 2012..diffusion tensor imaging (HARDI) to detect small changes in water diffusion parameters (diffusivity and anisotropy)...
- Spectroscopic Probes of Protein-Protein Interactions in Muscle DegenerationAVA YUN LIN; Fiscal Year: 2012..Then laser-excited time-resolved phosphorescence anisotropy (TPA) and fluorescence will be used to determine the effects of the dystrophin constructs on actin structural ..
- DTI as a tool to identify infants with Krabbe Disease in need of urgent treatmentMaria L Escolar; Fiscal Year: 2012..among transplanted children, whether long- term motor function can be predicted by baseline DTI fractional anisotropy measurements...
- Neuroimaging and Neuropathology of Mucopolysaccharidosis IPatricia I Dickson; Fiscal Year: 2013..atrophy, cystic or cribriform changes, and white matter abnormalities including decreased volume and fractional anisotropy of the corpus callosum (a white matter structure)...
- Regulation of Supercoil Unwinding by Topoisomerase 1BBREEANA GROGAN ANDERSON; Fiscal Year: 2013..and a variable number of supercoils, to study the effect of supercoiling on binding affinity (via fluorescence anisotropy), and the kinetics of supercoil unwinding (via gel-based observation of discrete supercoiled intermediates)...
- VAPOR GROWN CARBON FIBERS FOR BIOMEDICAL APPLICATIONSTHOMAS APPLE; Fiscal Year: 1993..electrical conductivity, high strength to weight ratio, non- catastrophic failure modes, high modulus, marked anisotropy and chemical resistance...
- Bioengineering Studies of Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm Fluid and Wall DynamicsENDER FINOL; Fiscal Year: 2009..the mechanical properties of the AAA wall based on a strain energy function for soft tissues that accounts for anisotropy and arrangement of a collagen fiber network;(ii) we have developed a new method for calculating the zero-..
- A Novel HTS Cell-Based Assay For Cyclic GMPGary Piazza; Fiscal Year: 2007..FRET) results from a conformational change of the protein upon cGMP binding to cause decreased polarization (anisotropy) of YFP fluorescence, which provides a highly specific analyte to image intracellular cGMP in live cell ..
- COMPUTERIZED IMAGE ANALYSES OF MR SCANS IN SCHIZOPHRENIAMartha Shenton; Fiscal Year: 2009..to quantify diffusion (the degree of directionality of water movement, as measured by fractional and relative anisotropy) in the aforementioned major fiber connections in the brain, and for all five fiber tracts, we will measure gray ..
- A SAS NMR Probe for Structure Elucidation of ProteinsF Doty; Fiscal Year: 2003..alignment has been obtained by using dilute liquid crystal solutions of bicelles (owing to their magnetic anisotropy), but this does not permit the needed dynamical control over the amount and direction of the partial alignment...
- Towards pratical Mapping of Complex White Matter Fiber Pathways by Disffusion-WeiKen Sakaie; Fiscal Year: 2009..DW-MRI), can map highly organized white matter pathways, but fails upon encountering fiber crossings and low anisotropy regions typical of neoplasms and white matter disease...
- ANISOTROPY IN HEALING MYOCARDIAL SCAR TISSUEJeffrey W Holmes; Fiscal Year: 2010..of this project (12/01/03 - 11/30/07) revealed a striking correlation between scar structural and mechanical anisotropy in different animal models and the deformation patterns experienced by healing infarcts in those models...
- A SAS NMR Probe for Structure and Function Elucidation of ProteinsFRANCIS DOTY; Fiscal Year: 2007..When a sample containing discoidal bicelles of negative magnetic anisotropy is spun at 54...